PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for Trade Deadline ina Keeper

iknowkungfu
01-25-2011, 05:56 PM
I've got a 20 point roto lead, owner of 90 points of a total 112, not sure what I should be doing coming up to trade deadline and setting on my keepers looking to next year

couple issues i've noticed

1) possibly 3 keeper centers, zetterberg, carter, kesler: i've got a feeling zetterberg is going to be labeled a C next year again from the start

2) possible 3 natural RW keepers, perry, nash, hossa: nash being natural RW isn't guaranteed LW next year

3) too many good goalies to keep: tough to let go of the Vezina winner at trade deadline or at the end of the season, on top of owning their goalie of the future

4) preparing for next season while avoiding a collapse this year: $300 on the line

Raja
01-25-2011, 07:34 PM
Considering your LW depth after Zetterberg/Nash I don't think you can afford to move either, unless you swing for LW in return. One of Bryzgalov or Luongo are expendable, I'd say Thomas but then owning Rask wouldn't be worth it. Try and use one of them+Nash to get you a top LW. Mcdonald should be back soon as well and with no one obvious to drop you should take that into consideration and over pay if you have to, because you'd be getting him back as well.

iknowkungfu
01-25-2011, 10:17 PM
also take into consideration it's only keep 10, so i don't think keeping 3 goalies is ideal although is a possible option

housenuts
01-25-2011, 11:24 PM
thomas is 36. i probably wouldn't keep him. however i wouldn't trade him either given the year he's having.

zetts, carter, nash, perry, doughty, kesler, luongo have to be kept.

then i'd prob keep rask, one of your rw's, and myers or subban.

wendel_
01-26-2011, 09:17 AM
It's a tough situation - I agree in a keep 10, 3 goalies isn't ideal. But at the same time, like you said, you don't want to diminish your chances too much this year (which dealing Thomas would do, since everyone's aware that he's 36, so not a great keeper option, so people won't give up the farm for him despite his stats).

I assume that either offseason moves aren't allowed, or they're pretty much impossible to do? If they can be done though, that's what I would recommend. In the offseason, trade bryzgalov, try to get a high first round pick (maybe package bryz and someone that is good but you also won't be keeping) and try to get a high first round pick back, or a player plus a high first round pick. Then keep Lu and Rask, and you should be able to draft Thomas back (since most of hte rest of the people with high first round picks would likely be drafting rookies)

iknowkungfu
01-31-2011, 02:23 PM
next best keeper D after doughty? i've got ryan (not ray) whitney on IR as well

Raja
01-31-2011, 02:48 PM
next best on your team? I'd say Kaberle, but I don't think many others will. He's still got some years and won't be on the leafs next year.

Rocklobster
01-31-2011, 03:41 PM
C: Zetterberg (LW) Carter (RW) Kesler Steen
LW: Nash (RW) Laich Clowe Ladd
RW: Perry Hossa Backes Brown
D: Doughty Myers Kaberle Seabrook Subban Robidas
G: Luongo Thomas
Bench: Bryzgalov Rask Umberger
IR: Lombardi Whitney Mcdonald

players i would look into trading for some upgrades: thomas, kesler and hossa

iknowkungfu
01-31-2011, 04:58 PM
C: Zetterberg (LW) Carter (RW) Kesler Steen
LW: Nash (RW) Laich Clowe Ladd
RW: Perry Hossa Backes Brown
D: Doughty Myers Kaberle Seabrook Subban Robidas
G: Luongo Thomas
Bench: Bryzgalov Rask Umberger
IR: Lombardi Whitney Mcdonald

players i would look into trading for some upgrades: thomas, kesler and hossa

wow, bryzgalov over rask/thomas just because of the security?

i'm not a huge fan of kaberle, it takes him a 65 point season to make up for all the other stats he doesn't provide where as subban and whitney can/will/may provide much more in the long run

backes over hossa as well?

Rocklobster
01-31-2011, 05:13 PM
yeah i rank bryz higher than thomas. I'm not a fan of owning two goalies from the same team, I try to avoid those situations. If you keep thomas would you keep rask too?

I like kaberle as your last keeper because he'll be on a different team next year also better option than subban and whitney. If you do upgrade with a trade, most likely he won't be kept.

Yeah i like backes a lot more than hossa these days. His PIM with his production is gold in my eyes.

iknowkungfu
01-31-2011, 06:29 PM
i think i would keep luongo and rask then take a shot at grabbing thomas or bryzgalov (one gm has fleury, price, quick and ward as well) with my 1st pick as it's only an 8 team pool

kaberle's lack of shooting and pims seems to be a downfall, subban is currently ranked above kaberle because he bring a more complete roto game

there are a couple guys like backes out there, i've got a pretty keen eye and finding those multi cat beasts but he's not quite up there with the corey perry's of the world. not a fan of the overall depth of st louis either, any night anyone could be playing 1st 2nd or 3rd line. his rate of production is also based on a lot of injuries at STL too. honestly if i was going to keep someone for their pims i would keep clowe and at least have the LW eligibility which is terribly shallow

Rocklobster
01-31-2011, 06:57 PM
okay do whatever you like, but you did ask for advice. I just don't think it's a smart move to keep rask over bryz but like you said it's an 8 teamer league, so lots of talent spread out.

btw Backes > Clowe ;) :beer:

iknowkungfu
01-31-2011, 07:59 PM
okay do whatever you like, but you did ask for advice. I just don't think it's a smart move to keep rask over bryz but like you said it's an 8 teamer league, so lots of talent spread out.

btw Backes > Clowe ;) :beer:

imagine clowe playing first line though... clowe/thornton/heatley vs undersized forward A/undersized forward b/backes lol

Raja
01-31-2011, 08:54 PM
imagine clowe playing first line though... clowe/thornton/heatley vs undersized forward A/undersized forward b/backes lol

6'4 210lb Berglund
6'1 205 Steen
6'0 194 Oshie
6'0 195 Boyes
6'0 180 Perron

Even playing with 1 of them, they can afford a 5'10 183 andy mac. Backes is 6'3 205 himself.

Habber82
01-31-2011, 11:21 PM
In my mind, these are the guys you must keep:
Zetterberg (LW) Carter (RW) Kesler, Nash (RW), Perry, Doughty, Luongo, Bryzgalov, Rask

Then its a toss up between Hossa, Backes, and Thomas.

Honestly, I would probably look to trade one of your G's (not Luongo, but whoever will get you the most value) and Hossa for a legitimate keeper LW (see the keeper ranking thread for some ideas).