PDA

View Full Version : Holtby

housenuts
01-25-2011, 10:40 AM
Figure this guy can have his own thread. Don't have much to say about him as I've never seen him play.

His stats are alright at 2.47 and 9.08 after 7 games started. Getting some wins too.

What is washington's situation? I'm sure Boudreau will go with whoever's hot, but what about when Neuvirth is healthy?

toronto1979
01-25-2011, 11:06 AM
Neuvirth is back after the all star break. I wouldn't bother with Holtby unless you're desperate. Holtby is only here to let Varlamov & Neuvirth heal.

Varly has been healthy enough to dress as a back up. If I were a Varlamov owner I'd be a little worried though that Boudreau is going with an AHL tender over him.

housenuts
01-25-2011, 11:08 AM
I find the situation similar to Reimer in Toronto. He's played better than the other 2 goalies, but it's hard for them to keep him up and continue to play him. I'm not sure what the Caps philosophy on this is.

Raja
01-25-2011, 11:30 AM
This year he won't have much value once Neuvirth and Varlamov return. Once one of them gets traded/doesn't re-sign though, we'll all be talking about what a pain in the ass it is to own both Neuvirth/Holtby or both Varlamov/Holtby. He's just as good as both of them.

Rocklobster
01-25-2011, 11:42 AM
coach says they have 3 young talented goalies that he will play. He's curious who will step up and be the go to guy for the playoffs. I would keep a close watch on holtby... varly and neuvirth have a history of being injury prone. It's good to own holtby in deep leagues with farm teams.

housenuts
01-25-2011, 12:21 PM
thanks. just trying to determine varlamov's worth. contemplating trading him. not sure if his value will be higher now or after all-star break

boredguy
01-25-2011, 12:40 PM
Varly is the best of the 3 he just has trouble's staying healthy.

b_illin
01-25-2011, 12:46 PM
I wouldn't so quick to discount Holtby - it's not like Varlamov or Neuvirth have played great or have lots of veteran experience that would get them guaranteed starts. If Holtby keeps this up, I can see them riding him til he lets them down.

Chilly_Willy
01-25-2011, 01:02 PM
The problem is in Washington the "goalie of the future" title is up for grabs. Washington keeps finishing where all the super stud prospects are already drafted and they have not seemed to aggresively pursue the Gustovson, Babrovsky type FA prospects probably becuase they feel one of these 3 will develop. Personally I see this goaltending as a serious problem for the caps. If they want a cup they need to strike while the iron is hot they will not always have this depth. I am almost certain they have a claim in for Nabakov for example.

Holtby would be good for farm team aquisition or short term spot starts but I would call anyone out that thinks they know who Washington's go to goalie is gonna be. I am starting to think it is not any of these 3. Nevurith is the one of the 3 I think will ultimately stand out but I think Washigton eventually is forced to do something different.

toronto1979
01-25-2011, 03:09 PM
I wouldn't so quick to discount Holtby - it's not like Varlamov or Neuvirth have played great or have lots of veteran experience that would get them guaranteed starts. If Holtby keeps this up, I can see them riding him til he lets them down.
The only thing is Holtby doesn't have to clear waivers to be sent down, the other 2 do.

housenuts
01-25-2011, 03:23 PM
^ ya that's why he's exactly like reimer.

Ginu09
01-25-2011, 05:52 PM
The problem is in Washington the "goalie of the future" title is up for grabs. Washington keeps finishing where all the super stud prospects are already drafted and they have not seemed to aggresively pursue the Gustovson, Babrovsky type FA prospects probably becuase they feel one of these 3 will develop. Personally I see this goaltending as a serious problem for the caps. If they want a cup they need to strike while the iron is hot they will not always have this depth. I am almost certain they have a claim in for Nabakov for example.

Holtby would be good for farm team aquisition or short term spot starts but I would call anyone out that thinks they know who Washington's go to goalie is gonna be. I am starting to think it is not any of these 3. Nevurith is the one of the 3 I think will ultimately stand out but I think Washigton eventually is forced to do something different.

I'm 90% sure it's Varlamov. The only reason Neuvirth got so many starts in the beginning was Varly was injured. When he's healthy, he gets the majority of the starts. Washington wants so bad for Varly to be the tender given the opportunities he's given. I have both him and Neuvirth and that's what I see.

Raja
01-25-2011, 07:37 PM
I'm 90% sure it's Varlamov. The only reason Neuvirth got so many starts in the beginning was Varly was injured. When he's healthy, he gets the majority of the starts. Washington wants so bad for Varly to be the tender given the opportunities he's given. I have both him and Neuvirth and that's what I see.

Completely disagree. Coincidentally, a good portion of the time Varlamov has been healthy Neuvirth hasn't, but anyways. Neuvirth has already signed a contract extension, and Varlamov hasn't. Neuvirth is more technically/mentally sound, but Varlamov has athleticism going for him so he makes more flashier/big saves (ex. that stick save in the playoffs never would have happened if he didn't over commit and was in position), but looking good isn't what's important.

Regardless of who starts in the playoffs this year, I don't think that will be an indicator of who's their favorite going forward because I doubt Boudreau has any problem replacing either of them if they aren't winning.

Either way though, I'm pretty high on Holtby and once it becomes a Neuvirth OR Varlamov + Holtby tandem, he could very easily become the Washington goalie of the future, not starting next year, but the year after.

toronto1979
01-26-2011, 12:52 AM
Yup. Both Holtby and Neuvirth are signed to multi-year deals right now, and Varlamov is an upcoming RFA. I do think part of the reason Varlamov plays as much as he does is because Irbe is their goalie coach so the fact that he's Russian earns him a little favor.

As for Holtby being in a similar situation to Reimer. The main difference is that in Toronto they have a goalie who is decidedly NOT a part of their future (Giguere), so Toronto is prepared to give Reimer a longer look. In Washington Holtby is still behind two goalies. Reimer is really only behind Gustavsson. Giguere is a lame duck (pardon the pun).

housenuts
01-27-2011, 12:42 AM
varly was stellar tonight which is good news for his owners.