PDA

View Full Version : Forsberg. Come on! Really?

Gern Blansten
01-21-2011, 04:39 PM
Practicing with Colorado.

Source: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=350445

pjm
01-21-2011, 05:15 PM
He just keeps coming back. The Favre of the NHL

bearcats
01-21-2011, 08:39 PM
Lol

MrScientist
01-21-2011, 09:41 PM
The guy is tireless in pursuit of the NHL, it's pretty cool actually. He waffles on his injuries but he really isn't a primadonna bitch about it like Favre.

looch17
01-22-2011, 11:38 AM
The guy is tireless in pursuit of the NHL, it's pretty cool actually. He waffles on his injuries but he really isn't a primadonna bitch about it like Favre.:yes:

Doctego
01-22-2011, 07:20 PM
And people actually want Forsberg to stay healthy and play. Most fans wanted to shoot Favre in his kneecap just so he'd go away.

Kyle
01-23-2011, 12:18 AM
Poor forsberg. His one-time nearly certain Hall of Fame career turned into this. I think he is one of the all time storys of injuries restricting a top, top player. In our generation only Lemieux and Lindross are even comparable.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
01-23-2011, 02:33 AM
The guy is tireless in pursuit of the NHL, it's pretty cool actually. He waffles on his injuries but he really isn't a primadonna bitch about it like Favre.

Well put. I'd love to see him healthy and on the ice forever. The guy is tough as nails, just too bad injuries have really plagued him.

Chilly_Willy
01-23-2011, 02:41 AM
Without injuries he would probably have half the NHL records by now. Stupid feet just work damit!

two24four
01-23-2011, 02:48 AM
Without injuries he would probably have half the NHL records by now. Stupid feet just work damit!

Eric Lindros could say the same thing, if he would have just kept his head up more I have no doubt he would be near the top in almost everything.

Doctego
01-23-2011, 08:09 AM

That statement is only applicable to Lemieux, IMHO. If he was able to stay healthy, Forsberg wouldn't even be a pimple on his ass.

Kyle
01-23-2011, 08:24 AM
Forsberg was never going to break records . But he could've been top 5 all time assisits, top 10 points, and a debatable top 10 player in NHL history. Instead hes insignificant in every scoring category and simply can't be uttered as a top player in NHL history regardles how high his talent ranks. No records for Forsberg but he could've been at 1500-2000 points for sure.

Lindross also should've easily been projected for that range over a healthy career.

But that said, that applies to a lot of players who never got the chance to play more games. Which is my point, really. Its just a tough break for Forsberg that he simply hasn't left a significant legacy despite all his talent.

Strictly talent-wise, I'd argue Forsberg is a top 5 forward of all time. But as we unofficially declared the ruling durring the old Gretzky vs Lemieux debates, most talented doesn;'t mean best player.

Chilly_Willy
01-23-2011, 10:26 AM
Very true he was an offensive monster but not enough to break half the records. And it is fruitless to say 'what if' because it wasn't. People got those records because they was, case closed.

Still I think NHL fans were robbed of some amazing hockey, I think it goes to show the punishment the body takes playing at that level, only a select few can make it through the whole process and he played ballz to the wall hockey in his prime.

b_illin
01-23-2011, 12:59 PM

I was going to say that too, then I thought about and decided he isn't. Favre was a drama queen about it and would do press conferences, etc. while Forsberg just quietly does his thing....it's the media that make the fuss about Forsberg, not Frosberg himself. Also, Forsberg's issue is injury, that's why he retired. Favre didn't retire due to injury, etc.

I'll give Peter a pass here...

madsci
01-24-2011, 03:27 PM
man, i want him to succeed.

King_Killah
01-25-2011, 08:47 PM

Except he's never dangled the word: retire. He just got hurt.

canuckthug
01-25-2011, 09:14 PM
man, i want him to succeed.

As a Canuck fan, i don't want him to play or succeed :evilgrin: (at least not within the division)! Him, Hedjuk, and Sakic have done enough damage. I've heard Pierre LeBrunn (ESPN/CBC hotstove) mention on Vancouver Radio that somebody close to him watched Forsberg practice and he looked really good.

There is a very strong chance Forsberg will be game ready and suit up after the All_star break. I would pick him up ASAP in most fantasy leagues if the situation fit. How long he goes ..... nobody knows... but when healthy, he will always be a threat/PPG player. I remember watching him up close and personal just 1 year ago at the Olympics alongside Johan Franzen and he was beastly, still crazy strong with the puck. Forsberg still does what he does best and thats strong puck possession down low. He will help the Avalanche out for the all important stretch run. With all the Colorado injuries, its almost a guarantee that Peter the great will be back.

canuckthug
01-25-2011, 09:44 PM
Its pretty cool that Matt Duchene happens to play with his favorite team. I've watched Duchene play a bunch of times and its hard to pick just one thing that makes him special. It wont be long before Matt Duchene is a full blown superstar in this league. I will be disappointed if people here or anywhere think he isn't a lock for Sochi Olympics 2014. Remember, its a larger ice surface!! Also, Don;t be fooled by the headline, his boy-hood idol is Joe Sakic... just saying.

Duchene teams up with boyhood idol on same line

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP)—There was a time when Colorado Avalanche forward Matt Duchene(notes) would’ve been awed by his boyhood idol standing in the same vicinity, let alone skating on the same ice.

That was so eight years ago, though, when the 20-year-old’s room was filled with Peter Forsberg memorabilia.

Now that Forsberg’s skating with the Avalanche and mulling a return to the NHL, Duchene’s over the kid-like adoration.

Or so he thought

His eyes lit up chatting about being on the same line as Forsberg during practice Tuesday. Duchene was suddenly that 12-year-old kid again, the one who sauntered around in a replica Forsberg jersey.

“We’d have potentially good chemistry,” Duchene excitedly said. “I’d like to get him in the lineup as soon as possible.”

Of course, that still remains to be seen.

Although Forsberg felt good after his second full practice, he’s far from ready to commit to anything. He’s still on a fact-finding mission, trying to determine if his chronically injured right foot can even handle the rigors of this level of hockey again.

His lungs were certainly objecting. Given the thin air and the Avalanche’s up-tempo play, Forsberg was worn out at the end of practice, coasting around the ice bent over at the waist.

“It’s getting better,” Forsberg said. “I can’t blame it on the altitude. It’s hard practices. I’ve got to keep on going.

“It’s been a couple of days and I’m starting to feel better. Keep on skating and keep on working and see where I’m at.”

While many of the Avalanche were finalizing their plans for the All-Star break, looking forward to getting away, Forsberg was attempting to locate available ice time.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AuevE7VHuEEHUrRhQIAvJLl7vLYF?slug=ap-avalanche-forsbergpractices

canuckthug
02-03-2011, 12:49 AM
setback according to Forsberg today...

'not looking optimistic',
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=ap-avalanche-forsberg

Gern Blansten
02-06-2011, 04:28 PM
It would appear he's going to give it a go. 1yr deal.

Source: http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2011/02/06/forsberg-will-play/6339/

madsci
02-07-2011, 09:22 AM
Woo-hoo!

canuckthug
02-11-2011, 12:40 PM
Woo-hoo!
Lets see what this guy has left... I watched him at the Olympics at about this time last year and i thought he looked great out there. He was playing on a line with Franzen. Still, the Jury is out on this guy... & Where is Hockeyis#1 and his POTW thread ---> how many games will Peter the great play this season? or will Forsberg help the Avs get back into the playoff picture?

Anyways, The Avs and Forsberg play tonight against Columbus.
Forsberg will play alongside Matt Duchene and Milan Hejduk on line 1.

Chilly_Willy
02-11-2011, 01:25 PM
Woohooo I gonna be watch'n me some hockey tonight!

I wonder how close Mueller is to coming back. News is still sketchy on him he would be another piece sorely needed on the squad if he can find some game after all those nasty brain injuries.

madsci
02-14-2011, 11:54 AM
According to TSN Bob McKenzie (reliable):

2:30MT news conference in Denver for Forsberg to announce his retirement from hockey

Hamsterkill
02-14-2011, 11:58 AM
Aww. I thought he might at least finish out the season.

Cornholio
02-14-2011, 12:29 PM
that makes it even more rediculous!

b_illin
02-14-2011, 12:57 PM
Does he still get paid if he retires? If so, smart ploy for him...although he looks like a tool now.

Hamsterkill
02-14-2011, 01:14 PM
Does he still get paid if he retires? If so, smart ploy for him...although he looks like a tool now.

I don't believe so. I don't know why he would.

moans
02-14-2011, 01:23 PM
It really doesn't make any sense. The guy looked like the best player on the ice the two games he played.

madsci
02-14-2011, 01:33 PM
It really doesn't make any sense. The guy looked like the best player on the ice the two games he played.

I suspect his foot just can't take it. Too bad.

Kyle
02-14-2011, 03:37 PM
He didn't look great at all IMO. He knows what hes doing with this retirement. He knows he can't keep up to his standard whatsoever.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-14-2011, 03:48 PM
gotta admire his heart and desire but anyone who thought he was gonna be successful with his latest come back must be a very blind optimist!

Chilly_Willy
02-14-2011, 11:04 PM
its too bad he didn't get a home game in.

pjm
02-15-2011, 12:51 AM
its too bad he didn't get a home game in.

He's probably glad he avoided that home game with the shellacking COL received tonight.

Chilly_Willy
02-15-2011, 11:12 AM
He's probably glad he avoided that home game with the shellacking COL received tonight.

:lol:

Maybe he realized what a mess Colorado is right now and was like Fuck this, peace out.