PDA

View Full Version : All Star Game

King_Killah
01-11-2011, 09:38 PM
How is it that the only Flyer selected to the All Star game is Claude Giroux??? That is an outrage and a snub if I have ever seen one... Briere should be included as well at the very least.

two24four
01-11-2011, 10:06 PM
ASG is a joke, I bet most players are happy getting some time off to spend time with there family rather then have to play in the ASG.

Luongo was left off the roster, but he and his wife just had a baby, so I'm sure he could care less about being left off.

chgorman
01-11-2011, 11:00 PM
How is it that the only Flyer selected to the All Star game is Claude Giroux??? That is an outrage and a snub if I have ever seen one... Briere should be included as well at the very least.

I posted something similar in the Wings thread a few hrs ago. Zetterberg - 6th overall in league scoring... didn't make the cut, but Backes, Kessel and Elias did :rolleyes:

Rafalski - 30 pts in 32gp... didn't make the cut, but M.Staal and E.Karlsson did.

If the league wants to use the AS game as a showcase, they'd be best served to showcase the best players regardless of the team they play for. This quota they have that says they have to have at least one player from each team is completely ridiculous. Definitely doesn't allow the league to make the best use of the AS gm as a showcase event.

bearcats
01-12-2011, 01:37 AM
ya I actually wich they would go back to the days of .....1st team all star....and second team all star.....back in the 70's and 80's and the early 90's the folks that were all stars seemed to be a better representation...

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
01-12-2011, 03:27 AM
aren't they doing some weird fantasy type draft thing for the asg this year ? Either way, it's a joke and always has been one. Plenty of snubs for sure. But what's new ?

madsci
01-12-2011, 10:55 AM
I'm pretty sure that a lot of guys, including many mentioned above, requested they be left off the rosters. These guys are playing injured, or have family issues, etc. It happens every year. The NHL, for obvious reasons, wouldn't want to publicize that guys would rather not play.

two24four
01-12-2011, 01:03 PM
I'm pretty sure that a lot of guys, including many mentioned above, requested they be left off the rosters. These guys are playing injured, or have family issues, etc. It happens every year. The NHL, for obvious reasons, wouldn't want to publicize that guys would rather not play.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that it the case as well.

Steve Ludzig was on OTR yesterday and said he knows for a fact most players would rather just have a break then play in the ASG.

Raja
01-12-2011, 01:13 PM
They could be requested to be left off I guess. I remember the last all star game people were getting suspended/penalized for being in the game and then stating they weren't showing up, so they probably said something previously so that wouldn't happen.

Also, as for Kessel, Elias, Karlsson, etc, it's because they need to represent every team to bring more viewers, or not offend any team. Kessel over Grabovsky is a joke though, but really the ASG should never be taken seriously anyways. It's a popularity contest is all, no merit involved.

phaneuf6
01-12-2011, 01:43 PM
Kessel has way more name power in the US though in fairness. If it's a marketing gig, he's the right pick.

nyrblue2
01-12-2011, 02:04 PM
"Phil Kessel" is probably as recognizable in America as your or my name.

Hamsterkill
01-12-2011, 02:13 PM
True. I think what he meant to say was "more recognizable name amongst fans in places not named Toronto"

phaneuf6
01-12-2011, 03:15 PM
More along the lines of what Hamster said I suppose. He's got the Olympics going for him, etc.

madsci
01-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Truly, I mean - "all-star" is different than "most valuable" isn't it? Phil Kessel is the "star" and Grabovski is the fourth-line centre the Habs let go, etc. These things take some time to change...

two24four
01-14-2011, 12:40 PM
I love how the NHL's all-star commercial has Crosby, OV, Toews, Luongo etc....in it, only thing is, Luongo did not make the ASG.

canuckthug
01-14-2011, 01:11 PM
I love how the NHL's all-star commercial has Crosby, OV, Toews, Luongo etc....in it, only thing is, Luongo did not make the ASG.
Like you said earlier, Luongo probably doesnt care, hes got stuff to do back home.
Only 1 goalie from the West and thats Hiller (but when East vs West format no longer applies, i guess it doesnt matter).

Hopefully the Sedins are not separated! I want to see what other player combinations fit with them. Im all for the Sedin Sedin Hemsky line. Plus Hemsky looks like a Sedin, just needs the goatee.

So the captains have not been named? Its gotta be Staal and Crosby. Maybe even Lidstrom. 2 out of those 3. Having said that, I could see Crosby declining the All-Star game if he misses another full week. I have no problem with that but i bet 90% of the media will take it personally like Crosby owes them something... "blah blah blah hes the face of the game, he should be there..."

Is the Live draft happening moments before the game or sometime before? Elias should get picked last IMO.

two24four
01-14-2011, 01:19 PM
Like you said earlier, Luongo probably doesnt care, hes got stuff to do back home.
Only 1 goalie from the West and thats Hiller (but when East vs West format no longer applies, i guess it doesnt matter).

Hopefully the Sedins are not separated! I want to see what other player combinations fit with them. Im all for the Sedin Sedin Hemsky line. Plus Hemsky looks like a Sedin, just needs the goatee.

So the captains have not been named? Its gotta be Staal and Crosby. Maybe even Lidstrom. 2 out of those 3. Having said that, I could see Crosby declining the All-Star game if he misses another full week. I have no problem with that but i bet 90% of the media will take it personally like Crosby owes them something... "blah blah blah hes the face of the game, he should be there..."

Is the Live draft happening moments before the game or sometime before? Elias should get picked last IMO.

Oh I know he prob does not care, I just find it funny that's all, that a player not in the game is in the commercial.

I think Lindstrom has to be one of the captains.

I think if I'm a captain and the other captain takes one Sedin, right after that I'm taking the other one.

The draft is on the Friday night, and it's live on TSN :lol:

canuckthug
01-14-2011, 01:25 PM
I think Lindstrom has to be one of the captains.

The draft is on the Friday night, and it's live on TSN :lol:

Who decides who becomes captain?
Draft is Friday of the All-Star weekend. Cool, i dont want to miss the prelude to the Gong Show.
lol, you wouldn't spell his name like that on the jersey right??

I think if I'm a captain and the other captain takes one Sedin, right after that I'm taking the other one.

That is what happened according to most live fantasy drafts this year. No way another team was gonna let some team have both.

two24four
01-14-2011, 01:32 PM
Who decides who becomes captain?
Draft is Friday of the All-Star weekend. Cool, i dont want to miss the prelude to the Gong Show.

My guess is the NHL will pick the captains.

Yeah the Friday of the all-star weekend is the draft. I want to see them throw there sticks in at centre and just pick that way. This really is going to be a gong show.

nyrblue2
01-14-2011, 02:09 PM
I'm pretty sure the player pool votes for the Captains.

keyboard
01-14-2011, 03:29 PM
This has disaster written all over it.

madsci
01-14-2011, 03:39 PM
I want to see them throw there sticks in at centre and just pick that way.

I thought this too. It would be really cool to do it right before the game. All the sticks go in the middle, and then the guys have to exchange jeseys to make it darks vs. lights, and then game on. The guys would love it - they wouldn't know who they were playing with right up to the game, the coaches would have to make up lines on the fly. Would be funny.

keyboard
01-14-2011, 03:58 PM
They should each shoot the puck into a Plinko-like apparatus, which then determines what team they play for and what position.

That would be awesome. :lol:

madsci
01-14-2011, 04:12 PM
They should each shoot the puck into a Plinko-like apparatus, which then determines what team they play for and what position.

That would be awesome. :lol:

but there's one slot that makes a trap door under them open and WHOOSH! they're out of the game.

:lol:

toronto1979
01-14-2011, 04:23 PM
Bingo. Zetterberg requested not to play. In fact I don't think he's ever played in an all star game.

2005 - strike year
2006 - no all star game (Olympic)
2007 - selected and withdrew (wrist)
2008 - selected and withdrew (back)
2009 - no Detroit players were "selected"
2010 - no all star game (Olympics)

Zangetsu
01-18-2011, 11:32 AM
E. Staal and Lidstrom voted captains.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=549751&navid=DL|NHL|home

two24four
01-18-2011, 12:48 PM
Not shocked by the captains.

I said before that I thought Lidstrom had to be one of the captains in this, and with Crosby still out Staal is a good pick seeing as the AS is in his home rink.

boredguy
01-19-2011, 01:40 PM
TSN is really getting annoying with the selection shit, seems like there's 3 or 4 articles a day about it.

pjm
01-19-2011, 05:03 PM
Iggy withdrew to spend time with his sick grandma. Danny Briere takes his place - your wish has been granted, KK.

two24four
01-19-2011, 05:10 PM
Might see Hemsky back out as well, he was hurt last night.

two24four
01-23-2011, 01:22 PM
Sounds like both Crosby and Malkin will miss the AS game.

eykwingnut
01-23-2011, 01:29 PM
If a teams only all-star backs out then do they have to replace him with a player from that team?

two24four
01-23-2011, 01:33 PM
If a teams only all-star backs out then do they have to replace him with a player from that team?

Nope, when Iggy backed out they replaced him with Briere.

eykwingnut
01-23-2011, 01:36 PM
Nope, when Iggy backed out they replaced him with Briere.
Then I guess my question would be why have the rule?

Kyle
01-23-2011, 04:19 PM
Then I guess my question would be why have the rule?

To at least make it more probable for every time to have an allstar representatitve, even if its not a guarentee. The NHL has plenty of worse, more redundant rules.

Raja
01-26-2011, 12:09 PM
Yandle and Havlat are replacing Enstrom and Hemsky. It's absolutely incredible Yandle wasn't there already.

two24four
01-26-2011, 12:29 PM
Also Jeff Skinner was added to the ASG roster, while PK Subban was added to the rookie skills.

Skinner will be the youngest player ever to play in any all-star game NHL, MLB, NFL, NBA.

madsci
01-26-2011, 12:42 PM
Stastny named as last replacement.

b_illin
01-27-2011, 04:54 PM
I really think the NHL picked a winning idea in this fantasy draft format...I haven't been excited for an All-Star game in like forever

two24four
01-27-2011, 06:00 PM
I was just looking at what they have planned for tomorrow night.

TSN is doing a half hour pre-view of the draft from 7:30 till 8pm, then the draft it self is from 8 till 9:30pm.

Really, it's going to take an hour and a half to pick players for two teams? wow.

But I know I will be fliping to it.

phaneuf6
01-27-2011, 09:39 PM
Bissonette and Doan are doing a mock draft at 7 on TSN I thought?

two24four
01-27-2011, 09:40 PM
Bissonette and Doan are doing a mock draft at 7 on TSN I thought?

Saw it, Bissonette is one funny dude, if your not following him on twitter, do it.

phaneuf6
01-27-2011, 09:42 PM
Saw it, Bissonette is one funny dude, if your not following him on twitter, do it.

Oh I must've misread that tweet. Thought it was tomorrow night. Will have to catch it online. Thanks.

two24four
01-28-2011, 01:12 AM
Corey Perry thinks he will be picked last because he think's most players in the NHL dont like him.

WIS
01-28-2011, 01:59 AM
Corey Perry thinks he will be picked last because he think's most players in the NHL dont like him.
:lol: yeah I read that too. I guess we will see. I like this format of two captains picking. It brings out the kid in everyone.

canuckthug
01-28-2011, 02:37 PM
Staal will most likely pick these guys early which = advantage Lidstrom:
Cam Ward and Skinner to get the home crowd on his side.
Patrick Sharp because he is from Thunder Bay, Ont.
Marc Staal - brother.

two24four
01-28-2011, 02:46 PM
Staal will most likely pick these guys early which = advantage Lidstrom:
Cam Ward and Skinner to get the home crowd on his side.
Patrick Sharp because he is from Thunder Bay, Ont.
Marc Staal - brother.

I guess you did not hear that Staal traded two 1st round picks + a 2nd to get Kessel.

b_illin
01-28-2011, 02:53 PM
I guess you did not hear that Staal traded two 1st round picks + a 2nd to get Kessel.

:lol::lol::\:\

madsci
01-28-2011, 03:45 PM

The whole thing is going to be a bit of a joke. I'm sure Staal and Lidstrom have worked a lot of things out before. Can practically guarantee they'll split up the Sedins, I bet they work it out so no one is the "last pick", or so the last pick is a joke or whatever - maybe they leave Ovechkin until last or something.

This is going to be more about fun than about picking the best possible team.

two24four
01-28-2011, 03:54 PM
Lidstrom being from Sweden I'm pretty sure he's going to want both of the Sedin's if he can make it happen. I still hope once one Sedin is drafted that the other team takes the other one right away.

keyboard
01-28-2011, 03:56 PM

Awesome.

two24four
01-28-2011, 06:51 PM
Maybe next year.

Darren Dreger twitter.

NHL and PA talked about allowing trades in draft and also discussed Sat trade deadline. Neither happening this year. Maybe in Ott in 2012.

Dexter
01-28-2011, 07:36 PM
i'm laughing pretty hard at their "analysis" of their draft on TSN.

LOL DID I JUST HEAR THAT WHAT'S-HIS-FACE DID 4 MOCK DRAFTS?

phaneuf6
01-28-2011, 07:39 PM
i'm laughing pretty hard at their "analysis" of their draft on TSN.

LOL DID I JUST HEAR THAT WHAT'S-HIS-FACE DID 4 MOCK DRAFTS?

Jonesy, yea :lol:

canuckthug
01-28-2011, 08:27 PM
good call two24four. i was wondering how they were gonna make this thing go 1hr 30 mins and now its clear... analysis, questions & breaks, with more analyis and questions...

canuckthug
01-28-2011, 08:51 PM
best pick made by Marty St. Louis.

Brad Richards in whatever round that was.

Snipes16
01-28-2011, 09:09 PM
Phil - Mr Irrelevant?

phaneuf6
01-28-2011, 09:17 PM
Holy shit, TSN has to simmer down on the analysis. It's the fucking AS Game ffs. Pierre was WAY too into it.

Snipes16
01-28-2011, 09:18 PM
gave him a car...good for Phil

MrScientist
01-28-2011, 09:24 PM
May as well call a cleanup crew, Lidstrom pulled his pants down and shat all over Staal. Wayyyy better team.

zhmen
01-28-2011, 09:50 PM
I wanted Burnsie be drafted my Nick so I can get my wife to buy me blue jersey with #8 and my 2nd favorite player from home team ! :))))))

zhmen
01-28-2011, 09:51 PM
shame! shame ! shame ! on me !!!! I did not pick him up from FA list :(((((

two24four
01-28-2011, 10:18 PM
I think Towes might have really been pissed off at Kane, he really did not look too happy sitting there knowing Kane was laughing at him.

eykwingnut
01-28-2011, 10:59 PM
That was awesome. I hope they do it this way from now on.

b_illin
01-28-2011, 11:06 PM
I really enjoyed the draft...best part was kessel getting picked last! :lol:

- great atmosphere...good fans in nc
- ovechkin was being a bit sulky...he was txting away the whole time as well...very unlike him to not be animated in that situation but I think he was pissed that he didn't go in the "1st" round
- toews and kane looked awkward anytime the two were mentioned...didn't seem to be buddies at all
- love that the sedin twins got broken up
- it was great seeing all the players looking nervous...most looked tense and jittery...lots of legs nervously tapping :lol:

The NHL hit it out of the park with this one...lots of fun!

canuckthug
01-28-2011, 11:21 PM
I think Towes might have really been pissed off at Kane, he really did not look too happy sitting there knowing Kane was laughing at him.

Hes known as captain serious, so probably not. plus Kane picked up Toews right after Sharp went the other way to make amends...

Boltsfan26: May as well call a cleanup crew, Lidstrom pulled his pants down and shat all over Staal. Wayyyy better team.

You gotta like seeing St. Louis and Lidstrom together, makes your sig/ avatar legit.. plus they got stamkos. you gotta wonder though, where guys like Datsyuk, Zetterberg would have gone and Crosby or Malkin if they were there.

I thought some of it was pretty good...other times it was too long. I dont even remember Elias getting picked, but its gotta feel pretty awkward/bad sitting as one of the final picks. David Backes over Paul Stastny?! Phil Kessel looked completely embarrassed but the car/charity has to mean something..I was surprised Kane didnt give Kessel a pre-shoutout 'great American teammate, and a good player-- Phil Kessel. St. Louis was breaking things down up there, this guy is from Vermont(timmy thomas, gotta get the best goalie) and ex-teamate former ConnSmyth Brad Richards, etc etc.. Corry Perry couldnt believe he got picked when he did, i thought that was funny. Team Staal made some good picks. I think Staal used some strategy getting guys like CHara, but he had to pick players because of affiliation so cant fault the guy. I gotta look at the rosters but from I what i remember, Team Lidstrom is better. That said, it was a mismatch from the start: Staal, Kesler, Green vs Lidstrom, St. Louis, Kane. Duncan Keith went early, but they had to stick to a format... overall id say 8/10 but the presentation of Duthie and the panel dropped it down to a 5or6.

two24four
01-29-2011, 12:38 PM
Hes known as captain serious, so probably not. plus Kane picked up Toews right after Sharp went the other way to make amends...

I know, but I really think Toews' blood was boiling sitting there watching Kane cut him up, he really looked pissed off. I could see Towes not liking Kane, Kane is the wild guy, likes to party etc....while Toews is 'Captain Serious'.

Kane also did not want to pick Towes, Lidstrom and St. Louis made that pick, you could even hear Kane say I dont want to make this pick.

phaneuf6
01-29-2011, 12:39 PM
I know, but I really think Toews' blood was boiling sitting there watching Kane cut him up, he really looked pissed off. I could see Towes not liking Kane, Kane is the wild guy, likes to part etc....while Toews is all 'Captain Serious'.

At the end of the whole draft I came up with a few conclusions..

Phil Kessel is an extremely awkward social individual.

Patrick Kane and Mike Green are both dumbasses.

The Sedin twins are sick guys.

two24four
01-29-2011, 12:47 PM
At the end of the whole draft I came up with a few conclusions..

Phil Kessel is an extremely awkward social individual.

Patrick Kane and Mike Green are both dumbasses.

The Sedin twins are sick guys.

Kessel looked like a 40 year old sitting there last night. I agree he looked very awkward last night, even before being picked last.

OV looked like he wanted nothing to do with being there what so ever, I wonder what is up with him this season.

Best was when you could hear the players talking, right after Skinner was picked Lidstrom looks at St. Louis and says, 'oh man does he ever look young'.

Or Price talking to Timmy Thomas about Weber's hard shot, Thomas looked like he wanted nothing to do with Price, like you play for the Habs, I play for the B's, shut up kid.

b_illin
01-29-2011, 12:57 PM
Kane is a tool...and he seems legit dumb...like low IQ.

Toews and Kane...no love lost between them I think. Interesting.

I liked Price a lot more than I did before they showed that clip when he was yakking about Weber's shot. Thomas looks like a dbag frankly.

Kessel, besides sucking and being a loser has horrible fashion sense...he looked like badly dressed Turkish pimp.

two24four
01-29-2011, 01:00 PM
Burke's not happy.

Darren Dreger twitter.

Brian Burke suggests last 5 players of the ASG draft should be drawn out of a hat. Doesn't like negative focus on Kessel.

b_illin
01-29-2011, 01:05 PM
Fuck off Burke! If Kessel wasn't a POS he wouldn't have been picked last. Personally, I think that may end up being the best thing that happened to him all season...a little embarrassment can be a great motivator.

two24four
01-29-2011, 01:11 PM
Fuck off Burke! If Kessel wasn't a POS he wouldn't have been picked last. Personally, I think that may end up being the best thing that happened to him all season...a little embarrassment can be a great motivator.

I was thinking this as well, let's hope it get's him going, if this does not I dont know what will.

If he can some how win the MVP tomorrow he can be the frist player to win two cars at the all-star game, that would shut some people up.

MrScientist
01-29-2011, 01:15 PM
I really don't respect Brian Burke at all anymore. He's lost his touch.

Snipes16
01-29-2011, 01:30 PM
The best part of Kessel going last was after he donned the jersey he walked up the steps to sit down and that dude that ran it called out his name 4-5 times and Phil just went all Helen Keller on him.

He'd have clearly given up the car to be next to last picked...no doubt

phaneuf6
01-29-2011, 01:41 PM
The best part of Kessel going last was after he donned the jersey he walked up the steps to sit down and that dude that ran it called out his name 4-5 times and Phil just went all Helen Keller on him.

He'd have clearly given up the car to be next to last picked...no doubt

That happened to a lot of the players in fairness.

Another observation: Logan Couture could eat an apple through a chain link fence with those teeth, wow!

b_illin
01-29-2011, 02:04 PM
That happened to a lot of the players in fairness.

Another observation: Logan Couture could eat an apple through a chain link fence with those teeth, wow!

Seriously! That dude had bigger buck teeth than Bug Bunny! (although his other teeth were huge too!)

Dubz
01-29-2011, 02:13 PM
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=66980

Looks like a GOOD MATCH-UP. Im not sure Stamkos and Co. will be able to keep up on the score sheet but i guess we'll see. I liked this alot better than the Euro's vs. N.A's....that stank of prejudice imo

pjm
01-29-2011, 05:16 PM
Watching that draft, the only thing I could think of was how much i hate Pat Kane... god does he ever annoy me

canuckthug
01-29-2011, 06:41 PM
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=66980

Looks like a GOOD MATCH-UP. Im not sure Stamkos and Co. will be able to keep up on the score sheet but i guess we'll see. I liked this alot better than the Euro's vs. N.A's....that stank of prejudice imo

Both teams are stacked, it comes down to what team has your favorite players... Seems like you think team Staal is the better team?? Boltsfan26 thinks team Lidstrom is waaaay better but he might be slightly biased... I think team LIdstrom is the better squad (more heart on that team) but how do you knock a team with Ovechkin, E. Staal, D. Sedin, Nash, Kesler, Perry, Stastny, Chara, Boyle, Lundqvist, Price, Ward and others. The thing that raises concern with team Staal is not too many set-up men. Whose gonna pass, All shooters for the most part.

Im looking forward to the game more than the Skills and i dont remember saying something like that in the past. I think it will be a good game with players doing what they can to win. I dont see players dishing out hits but this game could potentially have legit PP's and penalties. Im also looking forward to how the Carolina crowd treats Team Lidstrom.. they are clearly the road team. I wonder if MotorCat got tickets for the game!? He was looking to get tickets...

Skills Comp without knowing whose in what..
Shot: i'll go with Weber and Chara for hardest shot. I think both players will clock in over 100 mph.

Speed. not sure. go with Matt Duchene if hes in it. In the past teams would send players who won their respective team skills competition and we would see players not in the actual game.. Dont know if they are doing that this year.

Accuracy: Gotta go with fellow Winnipegger Johnathon Toews (hopefully in it) and definitely cheering for Daniel, Kesler (who both should be in it).

Jake
01-29-2011, 07:22 PM
Did they just introduce Ennis as a Panther?

pjm
01-29-2011, 07:22 PM
Anyone else notice they introduced Patrick Sharp with a Blue Jackets logo on the smokescreen thing they skated through?

canuckthug
01-29-2011, 08:24 PM
Dan Sedin with a little snipe show! nice win.

Jake
01-29-2011, 09:12 PM
I wonder how much crap will come out of Briere saying he didnt hear the "fucking" whistle....Good thing its the NHL and hardly anybody's watching in the US

two24four
01-30-2011, 02:04 PM
Perry has some sick, sick hands.

Only other player I have seen stick handle that good with the puck like they are playing lacrosse is Robbie Schremp who Perry played Jr with in London.

two24four
01-30-2011, 02:16 PM
So who is everyone's pick for MVP today?

I'm going to go with Danny Briere. I could see Perry having a big game as well.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
01-30-2011, 04:13 PM
St. Louis please! Probably Stamkos for me.

Cute introduction.

canuckthug
01-30-2011, 04:18 PM
I'll go with John Toews for MVP. It would be cool if Skinner won though,

Whats up with the #'s?
two #26's on team Staal.. Stastny and Elias
two #33's on team Lidstrom.. Henrik and Buff
and two #91's on team Lidstrom.. Richards and Stamkos

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
01-30-2011, 04:38 PM
well it's safe to say Marc-Andre Fleury won't be winning MVP :lol:

Chilly_Willy
01-30-2011, 09:40 PM
Perry has some sick, sick hands.

Only other player I have seen stick handle that good with the puck like they are playing lacrosse is Robbie Schremp who Perry played Jr with in London.

The camera angle on VS. made me think he was pulling the Marty St. Loius trick where the puck was actually in his hand. When I realized it was still on the stick blade I was like Holy!!!

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
01-31-2011, 02:43 AM
I voted for Weber

two24four
01-31-2011, 02:47 PM
Darren Dreger twitter.

1.5 million people watched the ASG fantasy draft on TSN. Huge number.

canuckthug
01-31-2011, 10:09 PM
I thought the actual game was gonna be better this time around but ultimately, 'the All-Star game is what it is...' a game without backchecking, defense, and hitting.. Its for the kids. Gotta say the draft was a good idea for sparking interest and was sorta fun to see... but having that said, lets get back to some real hockey!!

WIS
01-31-2011, 11:24 PM
Darren Dreger twitter.
You were one of them, admit it.

two24four
02-01-2011, 12:48 AM
You were one of them, admit it.

Sure was, I never said I was not going to watch it, I kind of like of liked it.

All I kept thinking was how it would have been cool if they had thought of this when Roenick was still playing, with him being one of the captains, he would have brought alot of life to the show.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-01-2011, 02:24 AM
Nobody can say the NHL doesn't try.

I actually thought they did a real nice job with the all star game this year. The Winter Classic. HBO 24/7. It's been a relatively good year for the game, I think.

ih8music
02-01-2011, 02:38 AM

Very true. But this shit (http://www.guardianproject30.com/) is just wrong.

madsci
02-01-2011, 10:46 AM

I actually thought they did a real nice job with the all star game this year. The Winter Classic. HBO 24/7. It's been a relatively good year for the game, I think.

You're totally right. The NHL was a pretty conservative league for a long time, but now they seem to be really innovating and trying new things, which is great. Include also opening the season in Europe.

I could see the other leagues trying the pre-game picks - especially basketball. Not only is it sort of fun, if it attracts a 1.5M audience in Canada that's not bad coin. Tell me basketball fans wouldn't tune in to see whether Kobe or LeBron got picked first, etc. Furthermore, I suspect those guys would be more entertaining than the hockey players were.

b_illin
02-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Very true. But this shit (http://www.guardianproject30.com/) is just wrong.

I don't like it either, but I don't think ti was meant for you or me or any of the dudes on here that are already fans. It was meant for kids and comic book types that might be interested to check out the comics and maybe check out a game to see what this 'hockey' is all about.

Cheese as can be, but the NHL is really trying to get a presence with the Winter Classic, Fantasy Draft, Marvel stuff, etc. and I commend them on it as they seem to be the only league making an effort for the fans these days.

You're totally right. The NHL was a pretty conservative league for a long time, but now they seem to be really innovating and trying new things, which is great. Include also opening the season in Europe.

I could see the other leagues trying the pre-game picks - especially basketball. Not only is it sort of fun, if it attracts a 1.5M audience in Canada that's not bad coin. Tell me basketball fans wouldn't tune in to see whether Kobe or LeBron got picked first, etc. Furthermore, I suspect those guys would be more entertaining than the hockey players were.

I don't think they can...not for a couple of years anyway. Optically, it would look bad to be copying the NHL, poor littler red-headed stepchild of the big 4.