PDA

View Full Version : Nabakov coming back

Pages : [1] 2

flyingfrog
12-13-2010, 01:27 PM
Looks like SKA released him and he's coming back to the NHL. Who knows what price he'll want but it's gotta be considerably less. If you have number 1 waiver priority congrats, if you're somewhere near the end(like me :( ) then hope for the worst for whoever gets him. :hic:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=5914905

fleuryfan
12-13-2010, 01:31 PM
Should I drop Andropov or Voracek and leave Nabokov on my bench for a couple weeks?

jeffoule
12-13-2010, 02:26 PM
Any chance he comes back this year for real?

bearcats
12-13-2010, 02:30 PM
he is not in the yahoo system and I don't have any # 1 waivers.......BOOO

having said that, there is no guarantee he comes back this year anyway

flyingfrog
12-13-2010, 02:33 PM
His agent has expressed interest in being signed by a NHL team, and teams would only have to pay a fraction of his worth since he's coming in at the midway point of the season. If he doesn't get signed there are a lot of stupid teams in the league.

mike550
12-13-2010, 02:34 PM
Why is it just assumed he's coming back? He was let out of his contract in the KHL because he has family issues to deal with. Some speculation that his son is very sick. I'm sure he could care less about hockey right now and he is going to be be with his family.

If Nabakov returns to the NHL than it would likely be for next season, can't see it being this year.

iknowkungfu
12-13-2010, 02:39 PM
he was released because of family reasons IE living in SJ wasn't so bad in comparison

habsfan1
12-13-2010, 03:04 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Why-Evgeni-Nabokov-left-KHL-agent-said-signing-?urn=nhl-295351

It says in here:

Don Meehan, Nabokov's North American agent, told ESPN's Pierre LeBrun that Nabby is ready to play (http://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/status/14374490213453824), and that Meehan will now speak with teams.

jeffoule
12-13-2010, 03:04 PM
just grabbed him in my ESPN league .. we will see :)

deebmxer
12-13-2010, 03:46 PM
Washington!! Guaranteed

habsfan1
12-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Washington!! Guaranteed

After Varlomov's 7 goals on 20 shots that's what I was thinking, but who knows. I just picked him up myself, had an open spot, pretty good flier is he plays.

mike550
12-13-2010, 03:49 PM
So he gets out of his contract for family reasons and now he's prepared to play and jump back to the NHL??

Strange.

WIS
12-13-2010, 03:55 PM
Washington!! Guaranteed
Washington is very low on the waiver list so highly unlikely.

moans
12-13-2010, 03:57 PM
So he gets out of his contract for family reasons and now he's prepared to play and jump back to the NHL??

Strange.

I've read that his family came back to the USA a couple days ago and he'll be on his way over in the next couple of days.

fajita123
12-13-2010, 04:27 PM
I bet its Tampa before Wsh... the caps have 3 promising guys in Varly, Neuvy and Holtby

mike550
12-13-2010, 04:36 PM

WTF? No man, he's a free agent. He isin't going through waivers. He is free to sign with any team so the chances he goes to Washington are pretty good. Tampa is also another option as their goalies suck.

Raja
12-13-2010, 04:37 PM
WTF? No man, he's a free agent. He isin't going through waivers. He is free to sign with any team so the chances he goes to Washington are pretty good. Tampa is also another option as their goalies suck.

Tampa hopefully, but his numbers in the KHL sucked. Also, he has to clear waivers after he signs a contract, they're right. So if he signs an unaffordable one it's likely most teams won't take him.

toronto1979
12-13-2010, 04:55 PM
Everyone is assuming Tampa, but Tampa's waiver is pretty damn high as well.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?season=20102011&type=LEA
There would be 20 teams ahead of them.

I wonder if Florida grabs him so not to devalue Vokoun? Then they could flip either Vokoun or Nabokov to a contender. Puts them in a strong bargaining position.

jeffoule
12-13-2010, 04:57 PM
I guess SJ would be the #1 destination for him

b_illin
12-13-2010, 05:04 PM

Toronto and then a trade??

moans
12-13-2010, 05:07 PM

No he has to go on waivers to play in the NHL since he played in the KHL this year. It's in the CBA.

lektrix
12-13-2010, 05:21 PM
How long before he reaches Yahoo FA?

I could imagine it like lining up for some 1AM doorcrasher deal like the iPhone 4.

Except stock = 1.

First come, first wins.

Some poolie is gonna hit the jackpot and some poolie's gonna lose his starter(s).

madsci
12-13-2010, 05:33 PM
I'm saving my number one waiver for Forsberg's return.

Skate or Die
12-13-2010, 05:35 PM
Will he go on Yahoo waivers or straight to FA?

Raja
12-13-2010, 05:41 PM
Everyone is assuming Tampa, but Tampa's waiver is pretty damn high as well.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?season=20102011&type=LEA
There would be 20 teams ahead of them.

I wonder if Florida grabs him so not to devalue Vokoun? Then they could flip either Vokoun or Nabokov to a contender. Puts them in a strong bargaining position.

It doesn't matter though, depending on the contract. They've got the cap space, if they sign him for a 1 year 5 million dollar contract who's got the space to pick that up?

Probably waivers SoD.

jeffoule
12-13-2010, 05:43 PM
it would be 66% of 5M$ since the season is 1/3 completed.

WIS
12-13-2010, 06:18 PM
Toronto and then a trade??
Good move. Why not?

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-13-2010, 06:31 PM
The future is uncertain for Nabokov, who is more likely to try to come back to the NHL. He will, however, have to clear waivers.

His Russian agent Isakov said there is a possibility he may even be back with SKA at some point.

"He won't end his career. Nabokov is wanted in the NHL, in Russia. Some issues have to be settled and then we have to think what to do next. By the way, it's possible that Evgeni Nabokov will be back with SKA. At least I am not excluding this possibility. Right now everything depends on how quickly Evgeni sorts out his family issues."

Nabokov made himself unavailable for comments. He turned off his phone making his agent a temporary spokesperson.

npavlik
12-13-2010, 06:32 PM

This is what I want to know. Anyone remember from past years with guys like Selanne?

toronto1979
12-13-2010, 06:57 PM
He will hit waivers the day after he plays his first NHL game. He'll need to appear on a gamesheet before he gets added.

This is what happened for Selanne, Samsonov, etc. anyway.

toronto1979
12-13-2010, 06:58 PM
I guess SJ would be the #1 destination for him
I can't imagine that happening. They didn't exactly part ways on good terms.

flyingfrog
12-13-2010, 07:01 PM
Good move. Why not?

cap space.

As bad as Toronto is it's not through a lack of spending.

szuturon
12-13-2010, 07:12 PM
He will hit waivers the day after he plays his first NHL game. He'll need to appear on a gamesheet before he gets added.

This is what happened for Selanne, Samsonov, etc. anyway.

I never thought the stakes to last year's playoffs were so high... I've got the 2009/2010 gold and now I get first dibs on Nabby... in a league more than a few of you are in :D God knows I need the help in net right now. Brian Elliot is a worthless POS and I passed up on Corey Crawford for him too thinking it was the safer pick.

flavour
12-13-2010, 07:13 PM
cap space.

As bad as Toronto is it's not through a lack of spending.

toronto has cap space after they sent finger to the minors. i don't see them picking him up tho. neither do i see fla or sj. tampa makes the most sense.

szuturon
12-13-2010, 07:13 PM
cap space.

As bad as toronto is it's not through a lack of spending.

We could always send another Dman to the Marlies... His name rhymes with omisarek...

flyingfrog
12-13-2010, 07:21 PM
We could always send another Dman to the Marlies... His name rhymes with omisarek...

Well if this was fantasy hockey I'm sure they'd do that. Or if they did moves based on fan polling.

moans
12-13-2010, 07:28 PM
I never thought the stakes to last year's playoffs were so high... I've got the 2009/2010 gold and now I get first dibs on Nabby... in a league more than a few of you are in :D God knows I need the help in net right now. Brian Elliot is a worthless POS and I passed up on Corey Crawford for him too thinking it was the safer pick.

If you get him in that league I'm done.

szuturon
12-13-2010, 07:30 PM
If you get him in that league I'm done.

If he falls to waivers he's mine... if not... we'll see who has the faster trigger finger at 3am the night he's added to Yahoo.

toronto1979
12-13-2010, 07:30 PM
If TO grabs Nabby its for one reason only: To do a sign & trade.

Either Jiggy or Nabby would get moved if Nabby is claimed. Jiggy is a UFA but doesn't have any trade value at $7M price tag. So Toronto would likely only own Nabby while they work out the terms to flip him to a contender and pick up an extra draft pick or prospect in exchange for holding on to Nabby for the short term.

Same with Florida, but they'd have 2 tradable goalies.

szuturon
12-13-2010, 07:32 PM
If TO grabs Nabby its for one reason only: To do a sign & trade.

Either Jiggy or Nabby would get moved if Nabby is claimed. Jiggy is a UFA but doesn't have any trade value at $7M price tag. So Toronto would likely only own Nabby while they work out the terms to flip him to a contender and pick up an extra draft pick or prospect in exchange for holding on to Nabby for the short term.

Same with Florida, but they'd have 2 tradable goalies.

I was only half kidding when I said we should waive someone to get Nabby signed... If you were Nabby... what motivation would you possibly have to sign in Toronto? Money is the ONLY motivation and if we overpay, his value drops dramatically.

Burke's pitch: "We know how successful you've been in the regular season... and how unsuccessful you are in the playoffs. Rest assured... we will not be making the playoffs."

madsci
12-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Burke's pitch: "We know how successful you've been in the regular season... and how unsuccessful you are in the playoffs. Rest assured... we will not be making the playoffs."

haha. if he wants to go to a contender, the leafs could help make that happen by claiming him off waivers and trading him to the right team.

i can just imagine leafs nation if we sign him. hilarious. we keep signing anyone BUT a top six forward.

flyingfrog
12-13-2010, 08:12 PM
If a team really wants him, it's only going to land to them if they do something like 3 years, 4.5 Million per. If a team like say Tampa signs him to just 1 year then they'll have to take into account the draft picks they'll have to give up to get him, a multiyear deal though at a good salary is a tough thing for most teams to swallow.

Raja
12-13-2010, 08:17 PM
Huh? He's a ufa, there wouldn't be draft picks involved right? I could see tampa signing him for 2 years, but probably not 3. Not for that kind of money either, but enough to ensure nobody on waivers before them would go for it this season. Also, he's not really the reason for San Jose's playoff woes.

flyingfrog
12-13-2010, 08:19 PM
Huh? He's a ufa, there wouldn't be draft picks involved right? I could see tampa signing him for 2 years, but probably not 3.

I think you missed the part where he would be claimed just to get traded in my post. He has to pass through waivers remember.

Raja
12-13-2010, 08:22 PM
I doubt he would though, nobody would do that. He might get claimed but I doubt anybody would try to trade for him. That's why I mentioned having a salary high enough to make sure he makes it.

Islanders - have the cap space but not the incentive or internal budget
Devils -Brodeur, cap space restraints
Toronto - only 3.5~ cap space, possible depending on contract. If they sign him and can't move him that's a big risk to take.
Florida - Vokoun will likely get dealt, they're trying to get younger though. Possible.
Calgary - Kipper, cap space restraints
Edmonton - Possible.
Ottawa - cap restraints
Buffalo - Miller
Carolina - ward
minnesota - backstrom, can't trade harding.
Stlouis - halak
Columbus - Possible, but mason is the golden boy. internal cap restraint?
LA - Quick, Bernier.
San Jose - lol
Colorado - Youth movement, Anderson, etc
Nashville - Rinne, internal cap
Phoenix - bryz, internal cap
chicago - cap
atlanta - Pavelec, though possible.
Anaheim - Hiller, possible.
Tampa - cha chingg

It just seems so ridiculous to me to claim and then trade. It's like signing a UFA because they take your deal and then trade them, it's bad management and makes players not want to sign with you. There's a few teams before Tampa that need him, but who knows. Considering he has family issues they might not be resolved until after the trade deadline or even the end of the season, lots up in the air.

flyingfrog
12-13-2010, 08:25 PM
I doubt he would though, nobody would do that. He might get claimed but I doubt anybody would try to trade for him. That's why I mentioned having a salary high enough to make sure he makes it.

For a 1 year deal a lot of teams not tight against the cap would claim him. I mean it's not like it's likely Tampa will sign him 1 year for 6 Million.

madsci
12-13-2010, 08:27 PM
but if tampa wants him for one year, and they want him for cheaper, and he wants to go there, then Toronto signs him and trades him for a second round pick or whatever and everyone wins.

Not saying it would happen, but it could work that way, right? The only way it doesn't work is if NJ or the Isles claim him after the Leafs sign him, right?

EDIT: or rather, tampa would have to sign him and the leafs would claim him off waivers, but then there are draft pick considerations and collusion charges and a whole other shitshow, so never mind.

Raja
12-13-2010, 08:31 PM
I edited my last post. I don't think they'd sign him for just one year, probably two before Tokarski is ready. If Toronto claimed him and then not get traded, they'd have to waive him again and the process would repeat. Right?

mike550
12-13-2010, 08:38 PM
Wow Nabby coming back and me getting him would be a huge boost to my average goaltending!

toronto1979
12-13-2010, 09:08 PM
I edited my last post. I don't think they'd sign him for just one year, probably two before Tokarski is ready. If Toronto claimed him and then not get traded, they'd have to waive him again and the process would repeat. Right?
If a team like Toronto or Florida were to attempt a sign & trade, they wouldn't be limited to just Tampa. Washington or Dallas could then also make a pitch.

This would give an upper-teir team a chance at getting him despite Tampa having a better waiver claim.

Raja
12-13-2010, 09:11 PM
Oh I know that, but it still speaks volumes of how management treats players.

Also, not sure if it's possible at this point, but what would happen if somebody signed him with a NTC or NMC, and then he went through waivers? Whoever picked him up would have to honor that right? Seems like a solid way to avoid the picking up and getting traded option.

Chilly_Willy
12-13-2010, 09:28 PM
I never paid attention to when this happened in the past, wouldn't Nabakov probably work out an agreement with a team then no one touches him in waivers kind alike ol' boys club rules. Will be interesting how it turns out. I don't think I use my number one waiver if he goes to Toronto LOL

szuturon
12-13-2010, 09:56 PM
I never paid attention to when this happened in the past, wouldn't Nabakov probably work out an agreement with a team then no one touches him in waivers kind alike ol' boys club rules. Will be interesting how it turns out. I don't think I use my number one waiver if he goes to Toronto LOL

Even if it's Toronto... if you don't use a #1 waiver on a guy like Nabokov... who exactly are you expecting to fall to waivers taht is better?

bearcats
12-13-2010, 10:03 PM
If he falls to waivers he's mine... if not... we'll see who has the faster trigger finger at 3am the night he's added to Yahoo.

or 12:00 for us on left coast....although I have trouble staying up past 10:00 PM...LOL man I am getting old!

The Great One
12-13-2010, 10:13 PM
I'm trying to get this guy's 1st waiver pick and he will give it away for my Elliot, Neuvirth and Carkner.

Once I get his pick, I take the risk and it paysoff if Nabby comes to the NHL!

Should I do it?

Yahoo! 14 TEAM - ROTO - KEEPER - C(2), LW(2), RW(2), D(4), UTIL(2), G(2), IR(3), BN(6)
G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG, W, GAA, SV%, SHO
C: Crosby, Backstrom, Lecavalier
LW: Ovechkin, Morrow, Ennis
RW: St.Louis, Neil, Voracek, Frolik
D: Letang, Enstrom, Martin, Carkner, Pietrangelo
G: Varlamov, Neuvirth, Elliot, Crawford

szuturon
12-13-2010, 10:20 PM
lol I do not think I'd part with Neuvirth for a CHANCE that Nabokov is returning.

Raja
12-13-2010, 10:20 PM
I'm trying to get this guy's 1st waiver pick and he will give it away for my Elliot, Neuvirth and Carkner.

Once I get his pick, I take the risk and it paysoff if Nabby comes to the NHL!

Should I do it?

Jesus no. This is all just speculation, don't trade away half your goalies for a maybe.

szuturon
12-13-2010, 10:24 PM
Lets not forget... he played for a very good team prior to his departure... we have no idea what his numbers are gonna be like if he returns... but we know 1 thing almost for certain... odds are he will not be the same win machine we've been so accustomed to.

chadw01
12-13-2010, 11:36 PM
Lets not forget... he played for a very good team prior to his departure... we have no idea what his numbers are gonna be like if he returns... but we know 1 thing almost for certain... odds are he will not be the same win machine we've been so accustomed to.

Yeah, but even so, he's still worth that #1 waiver.

mike550
12-13-2010, 11:46 PM
Hey maybe Gonchar can talk to his bud Nabby into coming over to Ottawa for cheap. Nabby may have some pretty average teams after him other than Washington. Murray should absolutely be looking into this.

szuturon
12-14-2010, 01:05 AM
Yeah, but even so, he's still worth that #1 waiver.

Oh I'm on board with burning a #1 on him... I'm not on board with TRADING for a waiver pick hoping he signs with an NHL team. Don't sell the farm for a guy who may not be what you remember him to be and are probably paying for him to be.

tets
12-14-2010, 01:50 PM
Evgeni Nabokov's agent, Don Meehan, has talked to the Tampa Bay Lightning about his client.
The Lightning's goaltenders have struggled mightily this season, which might make Nabokov a natural fit in Tampa Bay. However, he would have to clear waivers first, which complicates any potential negotiations. If the Lightning are interested in Nabokov and sign him for too little, he'll just be claimed by another team. However, they'll probably have to eat Mike Smith or Dan Ellis' contract by sending one of the two to the minors if they sign Nabokov, making any potential contract that much less appealing financially. Stay tuned. Dec. 14 - 1:09 pm et
Source: Nick Kypreos on Twitter (http://twitter.com/RealKyper/status/14731252363960320)

chadw01
12-16-2010, 03:01 PM
Come on Yahoo, add him already.. I'm going to be out of town and want to at least have a waiver shot at Nabby!

Raja
12-16-2010, 06:39 PM
Come on Yahoo, add him already.. I'm going to be out of town and want to at least have a waiver shot at Nabby!

He's not getting added until he's signed, period. That's still a big maybe at this point, and considering how long it'll take for him to clear waivers in real life and even start a game, you've got a while.

toronto1979
01-12-2011, 10:26 AM
"Nabokov's Russian agent says after Roloson was claimed by Tampa, he doesn't think Nabby will play this season as he only had the Tampa offer".

Source: http://twitter.com/dchesnokov

jeffoule
01-12-2011, 10:29 AM
"Nabokov's Russian agent says after Roloson was claimed by Tampa, he doesn't think Nabby will play this season as he only had the Tampa offer".

Source: http://twitter.com/dchesnokov

So it looks like we can safely drop Nabokov now ... right?

toronto1979
01-12-2011, 12:06 PM
So it looks like we can safely drop Nabokov now ... right?
I would think so.

Raja
01-12-2011, 12:46 PM
It's been safe for a long time, shame for not listening earlier :p

jeffoule
01-12-2011, 01:03 PM
it's been safe for a long time, shame for not listening earlier :p

:beer:

chadw01
01-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Even if TB signed him up, they would have lost him to waivers (see Svatos), so why even bother..

mike550
01-12-2011, 02:16 PM
Yeah this story looks pretty dead. His agent said he was going to start fielding calls and offers for Nabakov. Guess there just wasn't any interest. Tampa got Roli and the Caps looks just fine with Varly/Neuvy.

toronto1979
01-12-2011, 02:31 PM
Yeah this story looks pretty dead. Guess there just wasn't any interest.
Yeah all the teams that are in playoff contention are pretty well set with their goaltending.
And the teams outside the playoffs are either happy with their goaltending, or too far out of the playoffs and too cheap for him to matter.

The only exception I could see would be Chicago - but they have no capspace (http://www.nhlnumbers.com/teams?sort=cap_space&order=&year=2011).

Nabby will likely stay in Russia and maybe sign with a team in the off season.

Raja
01-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Even if TB signed him up, they would have lost him to waivers (see Svatos), so why even bother..

This is why it didn't happen I believe. Yzerman/Boucher had the choice between Roloson and Nabokov, and rather than wait to see if they'd get him they went for the safe option in Roloson. Nabby is worth a look next year.

Hoo Hoo Howie
01-13-2011, 09:40 AM
I hate speculative posts without links like I'm about to make, but here goes.

I caught part of NHL On the Fly last night, and Darren Dreger was on. He said that Nabokov was back in the San Jose area, and that his agent said there was still interest in him. Dreger seemed to say that it was likely Nabokov would be back in the NHL again this year. Take it for what it's worth (also, I don't think him being in SJ means it would be back with the Sharks per se - I'm guessing he still has a home there).

Chilly_Willy
01-13-2011, 05:34 PM
This is why it didn't happen I believe. Yzerman/Boucher had the choice between Roloson and Nabokov, and rather than wait to see if they'd get him they went for the safe option in Roloson. Nabby is worth a look next year.

Its a good move. Go with the bird in hand and then if Nabby signs for just the half year then enter the UFA bidding pool for him.

kiddz7
01-13-2011, 06:14 PM
im in an espn league i grabbed nabby around enf of dec. its almost end of jan now. should i just drop him?

Raja
01-13-2011, 06:48 PM
Yes drop him.

mike550
01-13-2011, 06:48 PM
im in an espn league i grabbed nabby around enf of dec. its almost end of jan now. should i just drop him?

Yes. Yes you should....

toronto1979
01-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Might as well hang on to him for next season now. :lol:

PMStick
01-13-2011, 07:50 PM
Let this thread drop like a turd. Everytime I see new posts I click on it with hopes he is going some place and get disappointed.

mike550
01-13-2011, 09:51 PM
Let this thread drop like a turd. Everytime I see new posts I click on it with hopes he is going some place and get disappointed.

I wouldn't be relying on this thread to get any updates on Nabakov. If there was anything new than it would be up on tsn/sportsnet and virtually everywhere else.

But yeah, this thread needs to go away.

jeffoule
01-14-2011, 10:24 AM

Another disapointing post :lol:

Chilly_Willy
01-15-2011, 12:22 AM
bump :lol:

abusiveninja
01-15-2011, 12:53 AM
bump

I could use one ;)

mike550
01-15-2011, 07:47 PM
Guys....stop

snoopzen
01-15-2011, 10:27 PM
Guys....stopI'm sorry, I'm sorry... but assuming he's being serious that's such an ironic line I couldn't stop laughing. :lol::lol::lol:

jeffoule
01-18-2011, 05:27 PM
gotcha! Nabokov is going nowhere!

PMStick
01-18-2011, 06:03 PM
he's like this year's Forsberg of two years ago. That thread was long.

http://forums.hockeyinformer.com/showthread.php?t=48677&highlight=Forsberg

arexjay
01-20-2011, 12:20 PM
Not so fast...

Red Wings in discussions with veteran goaltender, Evgeni Nabokov. Deal today? Will have to clear waivers if it gets done.
via Dreger twitter

It looks like @Gordie78 may be a prophet. He said 4 hours ago Nabokov to DET and negotiatons are on and may be done soon.
via McKenzie twitter

iceHOLE
01-20-2011, 12:25 PM
Whats his value if he does sign in DET and clears waivers to stay there?

canuckthug
01-20-2011, 12:27 PM
Whats his value if he does sign in DET and clears waivers to stay there?

Howard >> Nabokov

but how long is Howard out?

Raja
01-20-2011, 12:31 PM
He won't clear waivers to get all the way to Detroit.

bearcats
01-20-2011, 12:31 PM
Howard >> Nabokov

howard is confirmed for today

Habber82
01-20-2011, 12:34 PM
He won't clear waivers to get all the way to Detroit.

This is correct! No contending team is going to let Detroit get this guy. Someone will scoop him up so as to prevent their competition from getting better!

iceHOLE
01-20-2011, 12:34 PM
howard is confirmed for today

Yea thought so, look at St Louis they signed both Wellwood and Svatos and they were claimed by other teams...

toronto1979
01-20-2011, 12:38 PM
There's no way to get him in under the cap anyway:

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/teams/DET?year=2011

And looking at this chart... I have no clue how they're going to retain both Howard and Lidstrom.

Raja
01-20-2011, 12:49 PM
There's no way to get him in under the cap anyway:

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/teams/DET?year=2011

And looking at this chart... I have no clue how they're going to retain both Howard and Lidstrom.

Don't use NHL numbers, use capgeek. Because of all the LTIR cap space Detroit has accumulated, they can sign an almost 9 million dollar cap hit player, for this season at least, because it's prorated. As for next year, they'll have 13 million cap space, not very hard at all.

chadw01
01-20-2011, 01:18 PM
This makes no sense for Detroit.. they know they won't get him because he'll never clear waivers, so, again, why bother..

If guys like Wellwood and Svatos get snapped up fast after signing, what kind of frenzy do you think there will be for Nabby!?

mike550
01-20-2011, 01:21 PM
As Chad said, what the hell is the point of this? I don't see any fathomable way that he falls to the
Wings, there is going to be SOMEONE who will take a chance on him on waivers. Is Ken Holland just crossing his fingers and hoping for the best?

And even than, why the hell would they need Nabakov? It's not like he's going to pull any time away from Howard and Mcdonald is a fine backup until Osgood returns. Signing a former elite goalie to backup for like 10-12 games seems so utterly pointless.

However, if any other team picks him up.....get ready to race to your FA list.

iceHOLE
01-20-2011, 01:26 PM
As stated in previous posts the Wings have some cap space due to long term injured reserve.
So signing him to a 3-6 mill 1 year deal where more than half the teams will automatically be dropped out of contention for his services...

chadw01
01-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Okay, but then the remaining half of those teams that can claim him, will, or would be crazy not to.. and at the very least, he would be a good trading chip once acquired.

BTW, here is the NHL waiver priority list as of today:

New Jersey
Edmonton
NY Islanders
Ottawa
Toronto
Calgary
Buffalo
Florida
Columbus
Los Angeles
San Jose
Carolina
Atlanta
St. Louis
Minnesota
Anaheim
Chicago
Phoenix
Colorado
NY Rangers
Montreal
Nashville
Washington
Tampa Bay
Boston
Pittsburgh
Dallas
Detroit
Philadelphia
Vancouver

doofdoof
01-20-2011, 02:10 PM
.... and according to capgeek, the following teams have cap space:

Toronto Maple Leafs
Detroit Red Wings
Anaheim Ducks
Buffalo Sabres
Los Angeles Kings
Columbus Blue Jackets
Dallas Stars
Phoenix Coyotes
Nashville Predators
Florida Panthers
Carolina Hurricanes
Tampa Bay Lightning
St. Louis Blues
Edmonton Oilers
Colorado Avalanche
Atlanta Thrashers
New York Islanders

mike550
01-20-2011, 02:42 PM
You cannot trade a player for the remainder of the season after you have claimed him off waivers. That's a legit rule.

And as a Sens fan, I am really hoping the grab Nabby for at least the rest of the season. I am so tired of Elliott and it would be a low risk/high reward even if the team is pretty much out of playoff contention. It would be fun to see a top guy like Nabby in Ottawa and it would create some buzz with the fans.

If he's only getting 1.5-2 mill for the rest of the season, than I think the Sens can fit that in under the cap.

Chilly_Willy
01-20-2011, 04:09 PM
This seems really retarded to me, Why wait 5 years to develop a goalie, the guy does a 5star job in net for 1.5 seasons then bring in a high paid veteran as a reward. The wings continually shit on their young goaltenders there will never be a Luongo or Lunquvist or Price in Detroit because as soon as some late career FA comes available they swoop in. Oh well wings have many recent cups and Vanouver, Rangers, MTL don't so maybe Wings management > franchise goalie but still shitting on Howard booooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

mike550
01-20-2011, 04:34 PM
Calm down, Howard would still be the undisputed #1 while Nabby would be a backup playing similar minutes to Schneider in Vancouver. He'd also be insurance for the playoffs.

kiddz7
01-20-2011, 04:55 PM
should i pick him up again? (espn league) :P

Jake
01-20-2011, 07:11 PM
Howard >> Nabokov

Im not sold on that. The wins are there, but the save percentage and GAA isnt all that impressive

chadw01
01-20-2011, 10:37 PM
Someone on Dreger's twitter feed just said Nabby signed for $570k with the Wings.. peanuts - this should get interesting..

http://twitter.com/DarrenDreger

@xarex_erax (http://twitter.com/xarex_erax). Yes. DRW twitter feed announces 1 year deal. $570,000. less than 10 seconds ago (http://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/28294090319732737) via Twitter for BlackBerry® (http://blackberry.com/twitter) in reply to xarex_erax (http://twitter.com/xarex_erax/status/28290196357259264)

EDIT: It's official.. he's signed. Goes on waivers Friday @ 12pm.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110120/SPORTS0103/101200458/1361/Wings-land-Evgeni-Nabokov----if-he-clears-waivers

Ginu09
01-20-2011, 10:43 PM
How long until Yahoo put him in? Will he go on waivers or FA right away?

chadw01
01-20-2011, 10:53 PM
How long until Yahoo put him in? Will he go on waivers or FA right away?

If it's true he signed, it all depends on your league setup - ask your commish or check your settings.

Yahoo would likely put him in tonight (er, 3 or 4am EST).

Most leagues are setup for him to have to clear waivers first, but some get new adds as FA's right away.

toronto1979
01-20-2011, 11:12 PM
Yes. DRW twitter feed announces 1 year deal. $570,000.
If that's the case there NO POSSIBLE WAY that he clears waivers. The only chance the Wings had to get him was to pay him a lot so no one would claim him. I can't imagine a team like Edmonton or Calgary passing on that.

Spartan
01-20-2011, 11:31 PM
Interesting stuff from Bob McKenzie. In the contract, Detroit gets first claim if another team waives Nabakov. In theory Jersey could claim him then dump him to the Wings as part of a handshake deal. It would be interesting to see if the league/CBA would allow it though.

chadw01
01-20-2011, 11:33 PM
If that's the case there NO POSSIBLE WAY that he clears waivers. The only chance the Wings had to get him was to pay him a lot so no one would claim him. I can't imagine a team like Edmonton or Calgary passing on that.

Yes, Holland is no idiot - there's something more to this for sure.. what if Jersey claims him and then tries to trade him so he has to be re-waived, and then since the Wings have first claim, they get him?

I could see Lou and Kenny trying to pull something like this off.

chadw01
01-20-2011, 11:34 PM
Interesting stuff from Bob McKenzie. In the contract, Detroit gets first claim if another team waives Nabakov. In theory Jersey could claim him then dump him to the Wings as part of a handshake deal. It would be interesting to see if the league/CBA would allow it though.

Heh.. you beat me to it.

It's gonna be an interesting 48-hours (waiver claims end Saturday at noon).

Bure96
01-20-2011, 11:38 PM
Just so everybody is aware...there cannot be a sign-and-trade with Nabokov. If a team tries to trade him after claiming him, he will have to go back on waivers again.

Ginu09
01-20-2011, 11:38 PM
If it's true he signed, it all depends on your league setup - ask your commish or check your settings.

Yahoo would likely put him in tonight (er, 3 or 4am EST).

Most leagues are setup for him to have to clear waivers first, but some get new adds as FA's right away.

He's definitely signed: http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=350270

The commissioner has 1st waiver priority lol I don't want to ask him. Any idea what field in settings I should be looking for to check?

EDIT: Yahoo just added Stapleton (ATL) and Engqvist (MTL) today and both are FA. Nabokov should follow! It looks good!

Bure96
01-20-2011, 11:41 PM
I'm pretty sure Nabokov will be placed on waivers in Yahoo. That's what happened when Malkin came over a few games into the season in his first year (I snagged him).

zipfel
01-20-2011, 11:43 PM
I'd say huge! Sucks I have #11 waiver out of #12.. still gonna try though :P

chadw01
01-20-2011, 11:44 PM
Yeah, I think he'll hit waivers too. Given the uncertainty on where he's headed though - if he didn't go to a contender (i.e. NYI, Edm, Cal), would he still be worth everyone's top waiver??

jeffoule
01-20-2011, 11:44 PM
Fuck... He was picked up in my espn league ! :@

Ginu09
01-20-2011, 11:54 PM
I don't know if he'll hit waivers. As I mentioned, Yahoo added Stapleton from Atlanta and Engqvist from Montreal today. Both are on FA right now, not waivers. If they add Nabokov, I don't see why he wouldn't follow the same path as these guys.

Does anybody have the current NHL waiver priority so we can look into who may claim him?

Zamboners
01-21-2011, 12:02 AM
Really, what do you think he's worth fantasy wise? I have top waiver in my Yahoo! 10 team league with solid goalkeeping. But I could grab him and trade him to the Howard owner for a much needed RW

Gern Blansten
01-21-2011, 12:05 AM
Okay, but then the remaining half of those teams that can claim him, will, or would be crazy not to.. and at the very least, he would be a good trading chip once acquired.

New Jersey
Edmonton
NY Islanders
Ottawa
Toronto
Calgary
Buffalo
Florida
Columbus
Los Angeles
San Jose
Carolina
Atlanta
St. Louis
Minnesota
Anaheim
Chicago
Phoenix
Colorado
NY Rangers
Montreal
Nashville
Washington
Tampa Bay
Boston
Pittsburgh
Dallas
Detroit
Philadelphia
Vancouver

Does anybody have the current NHL waiver priority so we can look into who may claim him?

From an earlier post.

Ginu09
01-21-2011, 12:07 AM
From an earlier post.

Thanks. Why would Detroit even bother? Something has to be up here.

bearcats
01-21-2011, 01:05 AM
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/01/red_wings_sign_goalie_evgeni_n.html

he is signed and by the low salary reported (250,000, prorated for the rest of the season) in this article its a sure thing that someone will claim him off of waivers before detroit

chadw01
01-21-2011, 08:52 AM
He's not in Yahoo this morning.. I guess it will be tomorrow - hope no one stayed up late!

jeffoule
01-21-2011, 08:55 AM
I don't know if he'll hit waivers. As I mentioned, Yahoo added Stapleton from Atlanta and Engqvist from Montreal today. Both are on FA right now, not waivers. If they add Nabokov, I don't see why he wouldn't follow the same path as these guys.

I think it's because Engqvist has a contract with montreal already

Dubz
01-21-2011, 09:38 AM
I have a couple of 1st waiver priority and am tempted to use them on Nabby. Guess it depends where he lands. Did anyone ask Y! (via email) how they are going to handle his return?

chadw01
01-21-2011, 09:55 AM
I have a couple of 1st waiver priority and am tempted to use them on Nabby. Guess it depends where he lands. Did anyone ask Y! (via email) how they are going to handle his return?

I asked.. waiting for a reply.

Found this in Y! fantasy help:

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/sports/fantasysports/hockey/rosters/hockey-17.html

Post-Draft Waiver Rules
By default, players will follow the league's waiver rules when the draft has ended. However, Commissioners in Custom Leagues can opt to release all players to free agency. Managers can check this setting on their League Settings page.

--

Even still, I've seen guys go on waivers even with that league setting in play.. didn't that happen with MAB?

toronto1979
01-21-2011, 10:20 AM
Even still, I've seen guys go on waivers even with that league setting in play.. didn't that happen with MAB?
MAB had to pass through waivers in all the leagues I am in.

boredguy
01-21-2011, 10:39 AM
I asked.. waiting for a reply.

Found this in Y! fantasy help:

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/sports/fantasysports/hockey/rosters/hockey-17.html

Post-Draft Waiver Rules
By default, players will follow the league's waiver rules when the draft has ended. However, Commissioners in Custom Leagues can opt to release all players to free agency. Managers can check this setting on their League Settings page.

--

That specific rule is for just after the draft. There's separate waiver rule settings for players being dropped, i'd imagine that players being added to the player pool would follow those.

rhynoc
01-21-2011, 10:45 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but.. If any team was going to put a claim in for him, dont you think it would of happened last night regardless of the 12pmEST deadline today? Makes me think Nabby is now in Detroit.

boredguy
01-21-2011, 10:50 AM
He doesn't officially go on waivers till noon today.

rhynoc
01-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Thanks. Guess I misunderstood. Thought the 12pm EST was the deadline to claim him or Detroit ended up with him.

Ginu09
01-21-2011, 12:09 PM
So as of noon today, he hasn't been added to the database. Ideas?

boredguy
01-21-2011, 12:15 PM
My idea is wait.

chadw01
01-21-2011, 01:07 PM
Hmm.. nothing from TSN yet. No claims??

Anyways, here's what I got back from Y!.. since he's rejoining the league, he'll be on waivers once they add him:

"Due to NHLPA rules, no rookie or player rejoining the league can be
added to Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Hockey until after he joins the players
union. All players added to the game will be introduced to the player
pool via waivers. Rookies and veterans who are not in the game will be
added to the available player pool as soon as possible during the
season.

There is no set timeframe for the addition of new players, so you may
not see player additions on the day following their NHL debut.

Note: You can find the list of players that have been added to the game
by clicking "Players" then "Status Changes" to navigate to the Added
players tab.

Thanks for your patience as we update our available players list."

toronto1979
01-21-2011, 01:09 PM
NHL doesn't announce who has put in claims until after the waiver period is over. TSN won't know anything until the NHL announces which team had the highest waiver priority that put in a claim. Just like fantasy hockey, it's all done blindly.

moans
01-21-2011, 01:10 PM

Anyways, here's what I got back from Y!.. since he's rejoining the league, he'll be on waivers once they add him:

"Due to NHLPA rules, no rookie or player rejoining the league can be
added to Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Hockey until after he joins the players
union. All players added to the game will be introduced to the player
pool via waivers. Rookies and veterans who are not in the game will be
added to the available player pool as soon as possible during the
season.

There is no set timeframe for the addition of new players, so you may
not see player additions on the day following their NHL debut.

Note: You can find the list of players that have been added to the game
by clicking "Players" then "Status Changes" to navigate to the Added
players tab.

Thanks for your patience as we update our available players list."

I'm pretty sure we won't know of any claims until either tomorrow at noon or Monday. I can't remember if waivers take the weekend off :lol:

chadw01
01-21-2011, 01:11 PM
NHL doesn't announce who has put in claims until after the waiver period is over. TSN won't know anything until the NHL announces which team had the highest waiver priority that put in a claim. Just like fantasy hockey, it's all done blindly.

Okay so we wait another 24 hours since the deadline when the waiver period ends is 12pm Saturday..

chadw01
01-21-2011, 01:13 PM
I'm pretty sure we won't know of any claims until either tomorrow at noon or Monday. I can't remember if waivers take the weekend off :lol:

Read somewhere it's a 24-hour window during the week and 48-hours if the claim is made on the weekend..

toronto1979
01-21-2011, 01:49 PM
Read somewhere it's a 24-hour window during the week and 48-hours if the claim is made on the weekend..

Jan 21 G Evgeni Nabokov and the Red Wings agreed to terms on a bargain-basement contract. However, the Wings are not yet ready to welcome him into the fold. That's because Nabokov must be placed on waivers at noon Friday since he started the season in Europe. Any team can put in a claim for him until noon Saturday. And considering the low amount of the contract -- $570,000, which, prorated, amounts to about $250,000 for the rest of the season -- even people in the Red Wings organization believe he will be claimed.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/1884/news

Jizmak
01-21-2011, 01:54 PM
Another post, from Yahoo:
"Red Wings general manager Ken Holland confirmed the team has agreed to a one-year deal. Nabokov was to go on waivers at noon Friday, and Detroit should know his status by the time it hosts defending Stanley Cup champion Chicago on Saturday afternoon."

chadw01
01-21-2011, 02:10 PM
Jan 21 G Evgeni Nabokov and the Red Wings agreed to terms on a bargain-basement contract. However, the Wings are not yet ready to welcome him into the fold. That's because Nabokov must be placed on waivers at noon Friday since he started the season in Europe. Any team can put in a claim for him until noon Saturday. And considering the low amount of the contract -- $570,000, which, prorated, amounts to about $250,000 for the rest of the season -- even people in the Red Wings organization believe he will be claimed.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/1884/news

Yes, that's what I meant.. 24-hours.. since the window opened today at noon.

If it was Saturday, we'd have to wait until Monday at noon. :)

housenuts
01-21-2011, 02:47 PM
when he's added on yahoo, will it be at 3am EST?

toronto1979
01-21-2011, 02:48 PM
when he's added on yahoo, will it be at 3am EST?
Yes, but he'll be added to waivers, not free agency. So don't wait up.

Raja
01-21-2011, 03:42 PM
APPARENTLY Detroit has a deal with the Devils so they pick him up, keep him for a week, then waive him again and Detroit will get him because of a loophole letting them go first because he was already claimed or whatever.

Howard owners, pick him up! Everyone else too.

housenuts
01-21-2011, 03:48 PM
source?

doofdoof
01-21-2011, 03:57 PM
APPARENTLY Detroit has a deal with the Devils so they pick him up, keep him for a week, then waive him again and Detroit will get him because of a loophole letting them go first because he was already claimed or whatever.

Howard owners, pick him up! Everyone else too.

Devils have said they will not pick him up

Source (http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2011/1/21/1948678/evgeni-nabokov-waivers-new-jersey-devils)

Raja
01-21-2011, 04:06 PM
lame.

goleafsgo2424
01-21-2011, 04:09 PM
With Nittymaki now injured and the Sharks allegedly having to "scramble to pick up a collegiate goalie" I would strongly assume they will pick up Nabokov.

jeffoule
01-21-2011, 04:24 PM
cant believe I dropped him a week ago...

boredguy
01-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Wouldn't work that way anyways from what i've read. If any other team puts in a claim as well as Jersey he'd go through the regular waiver process again and Wings wouldn't have first dibs.

boredguy
01-21-2011, 04:27 PM
With Nittymaki now injured and the Sharks allegedly having to "scramble to pick up a collegiate goalie" I would strongly assume they will pick up Nabokov.

That scrambling was only because none of their goalies in the minors could get there in time for the game.

goleafsgo2424
01-21-2011, 07:03 PM
Even still, Nabokov is an upgrade over any of their minor league goalies. And with the Sharks struggling with relatively the same lineup that made the conference finals last year, I'd imagine they will put in a claim.

flyingfrog
01-21-2011, 11:27 PM
:p to the people that doubted my claim that he was coming back to the NHL.

On a more serious note apparently the team that claims him can't trade him without passing through waivers again, so whichever team gets him will likely keep him.

WIS
01-22-2011, 01:52 AM
Yes, but he'll be added to waivers, not free agency. So don't wait up.
What about it if your league does not have waivers? That is, rules such as these:
Waiver Time: No waivers
Waiver Type: Continual rolling list

Should the player still be added to the Yahoo! database via waiver or in this case not?

housenuts
01-22-2011, 03:04 AM
ugh no nabby

Raja
01-22-2011, 07:43 AM
He's there in yahoo leagues.

DoctorDoobie
01-22-2011, 09:19 AM
I have #2 waiver - guy w/ #1 has Bryz + SJ and Wash tandems. I could probably use Nabby - who should I drop for him?

Raja
01-22-2011, 09:41 AM
Pominville or Alfredsson. With Semin waiting on IR and Kovy/Heatley/Byfuglien all RW eligible you don't need either of them really.

Top_scorah
01-22-2011, 10:14 AM
Whats the waiver priority list for the nhl?

paulie
01-22-2011, 10:40 AM
Whats the waiver priority list for the nhl?

Here's the list that was posted before.

New Jersey
Edmonton
NY Islanders
Ottawa
Toronto
Calgary
Buffalo
Florida
Columbus
Los Angeles
San Jose
Carolina
Atlanta
St. Louis
Minnesota
Anaheim
Chicago
Phoenix
Colorado
NY Rangers
Montreal
Nashville
Washington
Tampa Bay
Boston
Pittsburgh
Dallas
Detroit
Philadelphia
Vancouver

Hamsterkill
01-22-2011, 11:23 AM
What about it if your league does not have waivers? That is, rules such as these:
Waiver Time: No waivers
Waiver Type: Continual rolling list

Should the player still be added to the Yahoo! database via waiver or in this case not?
If dropped players in your league go on waivers then Nabby will appear on waivers. If dropped players are immediately FA, then he'll be FA.

toronto1979
01-22-2011, 11:56 AM
We'll find out shortly.

But with DiPietro consistantly hurt, Roloson gone, and now Lawson injured his knee. I would be suprised if the Islanders didn't make a claim. The next time Dips get hurt who backs up Poulin? They need an NHL ready goalie simply so their AHL team can ice a full roster.

Of course they passed on Leighton too, but Nabby is even cheaper than Leighton was!

toronto1979
01-22-2011, 12:02 PM
@HockeyInsiderJr Hockey Insider
Nabokov claimed by Islanders.

http://twitter.com/#!/HockeyInsiderJr

Not sure if that's legit or not.

*edit*

Confirmed by Craig Custance
http://twitter.com/#!/CraigCustance

...... I wonder if he reports?

Raja
01-22-2011, 12:03 PM
Confirmed he's an Islander...Does anyone still want him?

Boogaard
01-22-2011, 12:08 PM
Islanders will trade him. Smart, but ratty move by Snow trying to acquire assets for Nabokov. He has to report to the Islanders and play before he can be moved. If he doesn't report he can't play for the remainder of the season.

Edit: Nevermind, the Islanders can't trade him. That BLOWS for Nabokov.

Raja
01-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Islanders CANNOT trade him without passing through waivers first.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=350469

toronto1979
01-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Islanders will trade him. Smart, but ratty move by Snow trying to acquire assets for Nabokov. He has to report to the Islanders and play before he can be moved. If he doesn't report he can't play for the remainder of the season.
We've discussed this already. He CANNOT be traded as per the CBA. He can only be put back on waivers.

But with the NMC in his contract I wonder how that works? Can he deny being put back on waivers and insist that he only goes to Detroit?

Why would the Islanders claim Nabby? They need a goalie and he's making league minimum.

lektrix
01-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Islanders waive him a week later for a favour. Not sure why LOUphole didn't do it.

toronto1979
01-22-2011, 12:12 PM
Islanders waive him a week later for a favour. Not sure why LOUphole didn't do it.
If that's the case, then another team will claim him before Detroit gets to him.

housenuts
01-22-2011, 12:23 PM
If that's the case, then another team will claim him before Detroit gets to him.

they can't. it's my understanding detroit has first rights to him if he's waived by the isles.

Raja
01-22-2011, 12:24 PM
No, check out the article I posted. It's still lowest to highest in standings.

ribs1
01-22-2011, 01:07 PM
As a Red Wings fan, I am wondering why the wings would do this?
How does this benefit them? Were they really thinking he might clear and end up on their team?

Raja
01-22-2011, 01:11 PM
Well, there's a rumor that Holland did it so cheap so no competing team would be able to grab Nabokov. If that's true and Nabokov didn't know about it that's kind of sleezy, but a legitimate move none the less.

chadw01
01-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Ah.. Long Island - so who is still going to burn that #1 waiver on him now? :)

iceHOLE
01-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Well, there's a rumor that Holland did it so cheap so no competing team would be able to grab Nabokov. If that's true and Nabokov didn't know about it that's kind of sleezy, but a legitimate move none the less.

I think if they really wanted him they would have signed him to a much bigger contract so teams would of be wary of claiming him, but its actually just the opposite when they signed him to such a cheap contract opening the door for every single team to claim him.

goleafsgo2424
01-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Yeah but if the bad teams decided not to sign him and let their younger goalies play, than EVERY one of their competitors couldve grabbed him. They even kept teams like the Sharks and Blackhawks in the running - who would've never been able to sign him for a significant amount of money. Theres got to be more behind the scenes here, well see if somehow he becomes a wing via a loophole in the rule.

Hoo Hoo Howie
01-22-2011, 02:53 PM
TSN and ESPN are now reporting that Nabokov will NOT report to the Islanders. The Isles can either suspend him or put him back on waivers.

iceHOLE
01-22-2011, 03:33 PM
Interesting to see what will happen here if the isles choose to make an example and not re-place him on waivers which will mean he will not play in the nhl this season, or if they just decide to move on and turn the page on another bad situation for the franchise and just toss him to waivers again.

goleafsgo2424
01-22-2011, 04:10 PM
They should just put him back on waivers. Does anyone blame Nabokov? He signed a bargain basement contract for a shot at a cup, not to play for the lowly Islanders. They shouldve contacted his agent before putting in the claim and the NHL needs to get rid of these stupid rules and ridiculous 20 year contract loopholes.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
01-22-2011, 04:36 PM
ugly!

Hoo Hoo Howie
01-22-2011, 05:02 PM
They should just put him back on waivers. Does anyone blame Nabokov? He signed a bargain basement contract for a shot at a cup, not to play for the lowly Islanders. They shouldve contacted his agent before putting in the claim and the NHL needs to get rid of these stupid rules and ridiculous 20 year contract loopholes.

Yes, I blame Nabokov. He's acting like he's an UFA. He's not. His agent sent a fax to all teams yesterday saying that he'd play for any of them, and now he backtracks. He's a whiny Russian who didn't like it in the KHL and got out of his contract, and now doesn't like that he was claimed by the Isles, so he says he's not reporting. He's a piece of garbage.

mike550
01-22-2011, 05:03 PM
This is absolutely ridiculious. He signed with the Wings for a reason and has every right to hold out and play for them. It's a very messed up rule and you cannot blame Nabby for not wanting to go to the Island. Snow has been leaving him voicemails and Nabokov and his agent aren't even returning the calls, too funny.

Nabby clearly doesn't want to play in the NHL this season under any circumstance, he was on a contender.

He'll likely get re-waived and things get interesting. No point in suspending him unless Snow wanted to be a douche and stick it to him.

mike550
01-22-2011, 05:05 PM
Yes, I blame Nabokov. He's acting like he's an UFA. He's not. His agent sent a fax to all teams yesterday saying that he'd play for any of them, and now he backtracks. He's a whiny Russian who didn't like it in the KHL and got out of his contract, and now doesn't like that he was claimed by the Isles, so he says he's not reporting. He's a piece of garbage.

Actually he was a UFA. He signed with DETROIT not the Isles. This waiver crap which screwed over St.Louis twice is just stupid and pointless. I am not going to defend Nabokov because I don't really care for him and he is a whinny Russian, but the fact remians that he has every right to hold out and not report to the Island.
I know it sucks and it sounds like he's being a classless ass but any other veteran looking to get back in the NHL would do the same thing.

Besides, he'll end up paying the ultimate price and that is possibly to not play in the NHL this season and not raise his stock for a contract next season.

Hamsterkill
01-22-2011, 05:09 PM
This is absolutely ridiculious. He signed with the Wings for a reason and has every right to hold out and play for them. It's a very messed up rule and you cannot blame Nabby for not wanting to go to the Island. Snow has been leaving him voicemails and Nabokov and his agent aren't even returning the calls, too funny.

His fault for starting the season in Russia. I have no problem if Snow just suspends him for the rest of the year. If he had not played in Russia this year, there would be no problem. Just look at Forsberg. If the Avs and he decide on a contract, there's no problem, because he hasn't played in another country this year.

He knew he wasn't going to Detroit -- or any contender, really. That was a given when he signed the contract. If he thought he had a chance at playing for the Wings, then, my god, is he a dumbass.

Hoo Hoo Howie
01-22-2011, 05:15 PM
Actually he was a UFA. He signed with DETROIT not the Isles. This waiver crap which screwed over St.Louis twice is just stupid and pointless. I am not going to defend Nabokov because I don't really care for him and he is a whinny Russian, but the fact remians that he has every right to hold out and not report to the Island.
I know it sucks and it sounds like he's being a classless ass but any other veteran looking to get back in the NHL would do the same thing.

Besides, he'll end up paying the ultimate price and that is possibly to not play in the NHL this season and not raise his stock for a contract next season.
Respectfully disagree. He's not a UFA in the regular sense b/c he decided to sign with a KHL team over the summer. He doesn't have the rights of a UFA. If he cared so much about playing with a good NHL team, he should have signed with them over the summer. He knew the rules when he started this.

His fault for starting the season in Russia. I have no problem if Snow just suspends him for the rest of the year. If he had not played in Russia this year, there would be no problem. Just look at Forsberg. If the Avs and he decide on a contract, there's no problem, because he hasn't played in another country this year.

He knew he wasn't going to Detroit -- or any contender, really. That was a given when he signed the contract. If he thought he had a chance at playing for the Wings, then, my god, is he a dumbass.
Bingo.

mike550
01-22-2011, 05:16 PM

Yeah you'd think his agent would have explained the process a bit better. He clearly got his hopes up when it was obvious that another team would be claiming him.
His agent even sends out a memo to all other 29 teams that Nabokov WILL play for whoever claims him, than when the worst team in the league says "we got you now" he completely changes his tune and says not happpening. Very weird story.

Snow sounded optimistic that he will report, don't know where his head is at but I assume he's not going to take this well and will tell Nabby to sit on his lazy ass for the rest of the season.

Unhappiest person in all of this.....Ken Holland. He's gotta have something up his sleeve here.

mike550
01-22-2011, 05:18 PM
Respectfully disagree. He's not a UFA in the regular sense b/c he decided to sign with a KHL team over the summer. He doesn't have the rights of a UFA. If he cared so much about playing with a good NHL team, he should have signed with them over the summer. He knew the rules when he started this.

Bingo.

Well yes, you're right. In the summer he must have figured that he would have no interest in returning to the NHL. Wow how quickly things changed.

For a veteran goalie with so much experience, you'd think he would have made a better career choice. Things crashed and burned on him and now he's left trying to pick up the pieces.

I just wanted to see a good goalie on a good team and see Nabby have some fantasy value. But when you look at this a bit closer, it's pretty clear Nabokov is just trying to get his way and get around the rules which of course....is not right.

Ginu09
01-22-2011, 05:24 PM
The real question now is, if the Isles put him back on waivers, does Detroit get first dibs on him or not? If yes, this is why Detroit did it.

If Detroit doesn't get first dibs, they did it to make sure a contender could pick him up. The lower the salary, the more the Isles would be willing to do this for them. Yes it would allow the Sharks to get him too, but they possibly had a guarantee the Isles would claim him before the fact.

In my opinion, these are the only two options. He either goes to Detroit or stays with the Isles. The only thing we need to confirm is if Detroit gets first dibs because they signed him to the contract.

Raja
01-22-2011, 05:25 PM
If he took a serious paycut like this last summer when he really was UFA this wouldn't be a problem. First he was greedy, now he's being picky. I'm sure Nabby was aware of this rule before he signed and it's completely his fault.

@Ginu: waiver is the same, Detroit is 25th.

Hamsterkill
01-22-2011, 05:26 PM
In my opinion, these are the only two options. He either goes to Detroit or stays with the Isles. The only thing we need to confirm is if Detroit gets first dibs because they signed him to the contract.
They do not. Waiver priority is decided solely based on the standings.

mike550
01-22-2011, 05:28 PM
Wonder if he would report to the Sens :)

alias
01-22-2011, 07:49 PM
From TSN

"The contract Nabokov signed with the Red Wings includes a no-move clause and states that he cannot be put back on waivers without his permission. "

alias
01-22-2011, 07:51 PM
and I found this....

"If the claiming team wants to trade the player, he must again be put on waivers first. The only ace in the hole for the original signing team is they have first shot at him if he goes on waivers a second time."

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/article/926360--wings-still-searching-for-goalie-after-islanders-claim-nabokov

so Nabby can go back on waivers & Detroit has first dibs. This was obviously all planned out. Tell teams Nabby will play anywhere so a non-contender feels confident in picking him up. Nabby chooses if he goes on waivers and Detroit hopes a team who isn't a contender (like NYI) claims him and waives him. If a contender scoops him up and he refuses to play the contender suspends him solely so Detroit can't get him.

boredguy
01-22-2011, 08:03 PM
Did you read the rest of the thread where Wings getting first dibs has been debunked?

alias
01-22-2011, 08:08 PM
Did you read the rest of the thread where Wings getting first dibs has been debunked?

I've read speculation, no links. Maybe I missed the post with actual confirmation....

Raja
01-22-2011, 08:10 PM
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=350469

mike550
01-22-2011, 08:45 PM
The Wings would NOT get first crack at him if he went back on waivers. Bob Mckenzie said it would be the team standings order again. So if Ottawa or Edmonton or Columbus or anyone else put in a claim for him the first time, they would get first crack at him. I still don't see how Detroit ends up with Nabokov.

alias
01-22-2011, 08:58 PM
so its only teams who put in a claim the first time that can get him. so theoretically he could get waived, picked up by another team and get waived again until Detroit gets him. At least that's what I'm guessing Detroit is hoping.

chadw01
01-22-2011, 09:14 PM
If the Isles suspend him, he's obviously going no where. He'll rot in the press box until next season. Something tells me if he doesn't report, this is exactly what Garth will do.

Hamsterkill
01-22-2011, 10:10 PM
If the Isles suspend him, he's obviously going no where. He'll rot in the press box until next season. Something tells me if he doesn't report, this is exactly what Garth will do.
Technically he'd be rotting in Oakland.

Hamsterkill
01-22-2011, 10:17 PM
so its only teams who put in a claim the first time that can get him. so theoretically he could get waived, picked up by another team and get waived again until Detroit gets him. At least that's what I'm guessing Detroit is hoping.
I don't believe that's correct either. As far as I'm aware, waiver priority is affected by nothing except for the standings at the time of the waiving. Thus, NJ would get first dibs again, then Edmonton, then Ottawa, etc., with it resetting each time he gets waived.

Besides, if it were only teams that put in a claim that get a crack at him on subsequent waives, then Detroit can't put in a claim at all since it was them he signed with. There's really no way he gets to Detroit. And I don't thing Holland had any expectation of seeing Nabby in a Wings uniform this year when he offered the contract, either.

Honestly, I'd be shocked if Snow even waived Nabby, though. Apart from being a nice guy, there's really no incentive for Snow to waive him. Suspending him keeps Nabby away from potential competitors and doesn't cost them anything at all since he'd be forfeiting his salary.

alias
01-22-2011, 10:24 PM
I don't believe that's correct either. As far as I'm aware, waiver priority is affected by nothing except for the standings at the time of the waiving. Thus, NJ would get first dibs again, then Edmonton, then Ottawa, etc., with it resetting each time he gets waived.

Besides, if it were only teams that put in a claim that get a crack at him on subsequent waives, then Detroit can't put in a claim at all since it was them he signed with. There's really no way he gets to Detroit. And I don't thing Holland had any expectation of seeing Nabby in a Wings uniform this year when he offered the contract, either.

Honestly, I'd be shocked if Snow even waived Nabby, though. Apart from being a nice guy, there's really no incentive for Snow to waive him. Suspending him keeps Nabby away from potential competitors and doesn't cost them anything at all since he'd be forfeiting his salary.

Pierre LeBrun talked about it on CBC during the intermission for MTL & ANA and he said only the teams who originally put a claim in can put in a second claim, in the same order as before so according to LeBrun if nobody higher in waiver priority than Detroit put in a claim (which I doubt) they can grab him if he goes on waivers again.

boredguy
01-22-2011, 10:41 PM
Another (i think his 3rd) Mackenzie article on how all the waiver stuff works with Nabby:

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie/?id=350647

Basically they can put him on normal waivers (if he waives his NMC), all 29 teams have a shot at him.
They can try to trade him in which case Isles tell NHL they intend to trade him and anyone else who put a claim in during the initial waiver period would have first dibs. If no one else put in a claim in he'd go into normal waivers with all 29 teams. If he then clears THAT waiver claim the Isles could trade him (if he were to waive his NMC).

phiflyers2003
01-22-2011, 10:43 PM
Not sure if this is right or not but i thought i heard part of the reason he wanted to play in russia was a family thing?

Hamsterkill
01-22-2011, 10:44 PM
Pierre LeBrun talked about it on CBC during the intermission for MTL & ANA and he said only the teams who originally put a claim in can put in a second claim, in the same order as before so according to LeBrun if nobody higher in waiver priority than Detroit put in a claim (which I doubt) they can grab him if he goes on waivers again.
Okay, I went poking through the CBA, and I think Lebrun must be referring to this:

13.20 (a) The Club acquiring a Player by Waiver claim shall take an Assignment of
the Player's SPC. Nevertheless, if the Commissioner determines that a Player acquired
by Waiver claim is not physically fit at the time the claim is made, the Club making the
claim may refuse to take an Assignment of such Player's SPC and the request for Waivers
shall be canceled.
(b) A Player who has been acquired by Waiver claim shall not be Traded to
another Club until the termination of Playoffs of the season in which he was acquired
unless he is first offered on the same terms to the Club(s) that entered a claim when
Waivers were requested originally and the offer has been refused.

However, I don't believe that clause applies to Nabokov. Notice that it doesn't say that the player would be going on waivers again, only offered to the other teams who made a claim on him. Since Nabokov is a player coming from another pro league, though, this clause applies:

13.23 In the event a professional or former professional Player plays in a league outside
North America after the start of the NHL Regular Season, other than on Loan from his
Club, he may thereafter play in the NHL during that Playing Season (including Playoffs)
only if he has first either cleared or been obtained via Waivers. For the balance of the
Playing Season, any such Player who has been obtained via Waivers may be Traded or
Loaned only after again clearing Waivers or through Waiver claim.

Which seems to say that Nabokov would have to actually clear full waivers in order to be traded which would go to the normal waiver priority again.

Like I said, though, this point is moot as I doubt the Isles try to move him in any fashion when it would make better business and competitive sense to suspend him.

Chilly_Willy
01-23-2011, 02:39 AM
Wow what a mess

mike550
01-23-2011, 02:56 AM
Wow what a mess

:lol:

thelaughingtree
01-23-2011, 03:09 AM
Like I said, though, this point is moot as I doubt the Isles try to move him in any fashion when it would make better business and competitive sense to suspend him.

So would doing this have any affect on their salary cap? Is that even any part of the issue? Just curious... It would seem like a pretty pricey 'defensive' maneuver if so.

Chilly_Willy
01-23-2011, 03:19 AM
If NAbakov does report to the Islanders is he even worth burning a #1 waiver on? I am thinking no.

My goalies are Miller Mason Rask Turco. Getting ready to drop Turco but not sure I want to use #1 waiver on an Islander goalie.

thelaughingtree
01-23-2011, 03:37 AM
Personally, I have really nothing to lose... I used my #2 waiver on him & if it goes trough will be dropping Samuelsson who has been worthless this last while. I want to see what comes of this Nabby situation. If it turns out good & he plays (for a good team), then I'll be in the drivers seat with a good player or trade bait.
I am doing this because I have a player who is obviously droppable. If I had better offense (& had a hard time deciding who I would give up), then I most likely have been more conservative & passed him by.
We'll see how it shakes out.

Hamsterkill
01-23-2011, 04:27 AM
So would doing this have any affect on their salary cap? Is that even any part of the issue? Just curious... It would seem like a pretty pricey 'defensive' maneuver if so.
Nabokov's cap hit is 0.5mill and the isles are barely above the cap floor. Salary cap would have no impact whatsoever here.

But if they suspend him for not reporting, I'm pretty sure he doesn't count against the cap and doesn't even get paid, anyways.

paulie
01-23-2011, 06:36 AM
Well, it may be a gamble, but I'm burning my #1 waiver pick oh him for both my teams. Even with the Islanders, he's gotta be better then Sieve Mason. As for my other team, I'm in 7th, and I'm going to gamble with him as my 3rd goalie over Roloson.

moans
01-23-2011, 09:02 AM
Well, it may be a gamble, but I'm burning my #1 waiver pick oh him for both my teams. Even with the Islanders, he's gotta be better then Sieve Mason. As for my other team, I'm in 7th, and I'm going to gamble with him as my 3rd goalie over Roloson.

I would certainly stick with Rolly.

tets
01-23-2011, 09:06 AM
Not that i was going to pick him up but Nabby didnt go on waivers in my yahoo league. Straight to FA pool and was picked up right away.

abusiveninja
01-23-2011, 09:27 AM
Not that i was going to pick him up but Nabby didnt go on waivers in my yahoo league. Straight to FA pool and was picked up right away.

Your league settings probably contributed to this.

paulie
01-23-2011, 09:35 AM
I would certainly stick with Rolly.

Well, it looks like I don't have a choice. For some reason, Nabokov cleared waivers a day earlier than he did in my other league, even though the waiver period is the exact same length in both leagues. Not sure what happened with that.

Chilly_Willy
01-23-2011, 10:51 AM
Just so I understand the situation clearly. If the Islanders want to deal him they can only talk with the teams that put in a waiver claim? Which teams are they? What do you guys think happens? Do you think he plays for the Isles? If not who does he get dealt to?

Still a little leery of using a #1 on an Islander goalie. :(

boredguy
01-23-2011, 10:57 AM
Just so I understand the situation clearly. If the Islanders want to deal him they can only talk with the teams that put in a waiver claim? Which teams are they? What do you guys think happens? Do you think he plays for the Isles? If not who does he get dealt to?

Still a little leery of using a #1 on an Islander goalie. :(

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie/?id=350647

Read that, it states what will happen more clearly then anyone here probably could. I think if he doesn't report he won't be playing.

Ginu09
01-23-2011, 12:27 PM
He wasn't claimed in my league. Everybody thinks he won't report. Would Detroit seriously have done this if there wasn't an "out"?

Raja
01-23-2011, 01:58 PM
He wasn't claimed in my league. Everybody thinks he won't report. Would Detroit seriously have done this if there wasn't an "out"?

The "out" very well could have been "no contending team will get him so we'll be in the clear"

lektrix
01-23-2011, 02:27 PM
The "out" very well could have been "no contending team will get him so we'll be in the clear"

Islanders would have claimed him regardless had another contending team signed Nabo....? What difference would it make?

Hamsterkill
01-23-2011, 02:32 PM
Islanders would have claimed him regardless had another contending team signed Nabo....? What difference would it make?
Gain favor with Nabby next time he's a UFA? That's all I can really think of. Nabby must have wanted to come back to play to show himself off for a contract next season. Detroit was the team to finally let him do that, though it might not matter if the little bitch doesn't report to the Isles anyway.

I also read today that if the Isles suspend him, they can also petition the NHL to basically erase this year from his contract, forcing him to be a .5-million-dollar player next year whose rights still belong to the Isles.

mike550
01-23-2011, 02:40 PM
So what next with Nabby? When should we know if the Isles will suspend him or put him back on waivers? This shouldn't drag too long right?

alias
01-23-2011, 02:41 PM
hmmm....with the incredibly low chances Nabby plays on anybody other than the Isles nevermind a contender I think I'll be withdrawing my waiver claim in my dynasty....was hoping he'd be relevant beyond this year as well, but it's looking doubtful. It's too bad, he helped me win a championship last year and I lost him for nothing.

Raja
01-23-2011, 02:44 PM

That's exactly the point. Detroit very well could have signed him so cheap, that Islanders wouldn't pass him up and no other contending team would have had the chance at him. If Detroit didn't do this at all, a team like San Jose or whoever could have signed him for more money so that weaker teams couldn't afford him/claim him, and that would hurt Detroit's chance in the playoffs. Any team that seriously wanted Nabokov on their team would not have signed him so dirt cheap. Detroit has 8 million~ cap space, they obviously weren't expecting to get him because they didn't really want him.

alias
01-23-2011, 02:46 PM
But then why would Nabby sign such a cheap deal? Wouldn't his agent know the extremely high possibility a team like the Isles would claim him? If Nabby really wanted to play he'd hold out for more money and a higher chance he'd actually play for a contender.

Raja
01-23-2011, 03:51 PM
I dunno about that part. Maybe he'd play for anyone except the Islanders, who knows. Considering Dipietro is healthy and they're not competing, I'm not sure why they'd want him anyways.

toronto1979
01-23-2011, 06:38 PM
I also read today that if the Isles suspend him, they can also petition the NHL to basically erase this year from his contract, forcing him to be a .5-million-dollar player next year whose rights still belong to the Isles.
Based on what boredguy posted above (http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie/?id=350647), that appears to be correct. If Nabby fails to report this year, the Islanders can petition the league to have his contract extended to next season. Meaning they'd own his rights next year as well.

Seems to me we won't be seeing Nabby back in the NHL any time soon.

Hamsterkill
01-23-2011, 06:51 PM
"I understand the rules," said Nabokov, who signed a one-year, $570,000 deal with the Wings. "We're not stupid, we knew what was going on before we made the decision. But I made this decision because the goal was to play with Detroit."
"I was surprised they picked me up. I was like, 'Wow, what's the point?' ''
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/news/story?id=6051280

So... he's just kind of dumb...

Raja
01-23-2011, 07:01 PM
He's right though, it doesn't make any sense at all. Islanders literally gain nothing even if he starts for them. Some other teams make sense sure, but not the Isles.

boredguy
01-23-2011, 07:36 PM
You're assuming the Isles want to tank. If they want to win games than Nabakov does plenty for them. I know fans always think it's best to tank if your team won't reach the playoffs but the Isles have already done that the last 4 seasons or so. They have a lot of young players on their team, there's something to be said for not making them feel like it's okay to lose.

Raja
01-23-2011, 08:09 PM
No, I'm not. Dipietro is healthier than he has been in years, it'd be a huge slap to the face to have Nabokov start instead of him, what the hell is the point in signing a platoon/back up goalie to a huge expensive contract. Considering the style Nabokov plays, and the adjustment period from the KHL and NYI's system, it's hard to say if he'd even be an improvement on a struggling team. The Isles don't need veteran leadership or playoff experience or a better starting goalie at this point.

boredguy
01-23-2011, 08:32 PM
Healthier then he's been in years means nothing with Dipstick. Dude is always one mis-step away from missing 6 months and missed plenty of games this season with injury already. Even when he's been healthy he's sucked ass and even with an adjustment period i find it hard to believe Nabakov would be worse. Even if Nabby sucks, if they truly want the best chance to win, giving him a chance is a ton better then relying on Dipstick to give you solid goaltending.

Chilly_Willy
01-23-2011, 08:50 PM
I don't think its such a bad move. Maybe they want a NAbakov DP tandem but I don;t know how they afford it. I heard they are at cap minimum for a reason the team has cash problems. Not sure how they would pay the 2-5 million Nabakov wants. As much as another top 5 draft pick helps any team NYI management probably wants to start winning. They have been drafting so talent for a few season now but the team still misses so many pieces. Probably trying to replace Roloson I don't think they wanted him to go but he was done there.

Been an interesting season for goalies. The Niemi situation, Philly and now this. Personally I find it extremely funny except that I had #1 waiver and I wanted a Detroit goalie. So if I waiver this guy I either get a dead roster place or someone who will split time or start in NYI. Think I am gonna pass.

Hamsterkill
01-23-2011, 09:00 PM
Why are you guys even talking about NYI wanting to sign Nabby for another season? That shuoldn't even be entering into the discussion. If Nabby isn't even going to report to the Isles this season, there's obviously no way he re-signs with them, anyway.

NYI was platooning Roloson with DiPietro for some time. They traded that away and had a chance to acquire Nabokov for the remainder of the season at a price tag of 250k. If your team has unreliable goaltending, I don't know why you *wouldn't* expect them to put a waiver in on a 250k all-star.

szuturon
01-23-2011, 09:02 PM
I hope the Islanders keep him. Fact of the matter is this guy's a selfish little bitch and deserves the situation he's in right now. Hossa was a douche when he bailed on the Pens but at least he was motivated by the cup... this guy went for the big payday and expects 30 teams to bend over and watch him win a cup too. I burned my #1 waiver on him... but I couldn't be happier if he never plays in the NHL again.

WIS
01-23-2011, 09:05 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/news/story?id=6051280

So... he's just kind of dumb...
No, he did say he's not stupid!

Raja
01-23-2011, 09:15 PM
Why are you guys even talking about NYI wanting to sign Nabby for another season? That shuoldn't even be entering into the discussion. If Nabby isn't even going to report to the Isles this season, there's obviously no way he re-signs with them, anyway.

It might not be an option. Like said before, NYI can petition to have this year of Nabby's contract not count, making him NYI's property next season with the full salary of the contract he just signed. I believe on the TSN article he's stated he'll play for them next year if that's the case.

Hossa was a douche when he bailed on the Pens but at least he was motivated by the cup...

Hossa was absolutely not a douche and the situation is not similar at all. He was a rental for Pittsburgh and nothing more and nobody should have expected anything else from him.

Hamsterkill
01-23-2011, 10:09 PM
It might not be an option. Like said before, NYI can petition to have this year of Nabby's contract not count, making him NYI's property next season with the full salary of the contract he just signed. I believe on the TSN article he's stated he'll play for them next year if that's the case.

Right, I'm one of those who mentioned it eariler. He still clearly wouldn't be signing a new contract with them after that, though.

So then they get an all-star goalie for a full year at 500k. I still don't see why people would think NYI claiming him doesn't make sense, which was the point of my post, really.

Gern Blansten
01-24-2011, 12:30 AM
You stay classy, Nabby.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=ap-islanders-nabokov

toronto1979
01-24-2011, 12:49 AM
If your team has unreliable goaltending, I don't know why you *wouldn't* expect them to put a waiver in on a 250k all-star.
Exactly. They'd be paying Nabokov pretty much the same as Poulin or Lawton. What he signed for was barely league minimum ($450). So Chilly_Willy mentioning 2-5 million is a non-starter.

Islanders have played 47/82 games so they have 43% of a season remaining. They'd pay Nabokov $245K to back up a shaky starter in which the team is heavily invested, or they could pay Poulin $193K.

Additionally, the point boredguy brings up is a good one. This claim at least shows the players that despite their financial handicap they should still try. They have a ton of young players already. It's not okay to just roll over and and let yourself lose. If you can sign an all star stud goaltender for league minimum, you do it.

And it also gives the fans in Long Island something to talk/read about which they haven't had in a while - for absolutely NO cost if Nabokov doesn't report. Think of all this free press they're getting in the sports pages when they hockey stories are usually buried in the back pages. If Nabby never plays a game, it's the cheapest marketing campaign ever.

flyingfrog
01-24-2011, 01:49 AM
I think Detroit made him feel like sitting out would lead to Detroit, but personally, I think Detroit is just happy that noone in the playoff picture has him.

I don't see the Isles backing down, since there's no benefit to them.

mulleteer
01-24-2011, 10:10 AM
I think Detroit made him feel like sitting out would lead to Detroit, but personally, I think Detroit is just happy that noone in the playoff picture has him.

I don't see the Isles backing down, since there's no benefit to them.

Thgough nabby is part of the biggest sport agency. If the islanders shaft one of there players they may find it hard to deal with them after this. Islanders already have a hard time attracting FA's. This will not help

chadw01
01-24-2011, 10:24 AM
If Nabby doesn't report, Snow will toll the contract and he'll owe them another year.. so play for them now or next year - either way, they're not likely to waive him (Wang already said they would not), so he's gonna be in an Islanders jersey one way or another.

And unfortunately for all us holding onto top waiver priorities, in a platoon situation with Dipi - he's off Y! waivers tomorrow in my league - pretty sure I'm gonna pass unless something miraculous transpires today.

housenuts
01-24-2011, 11:27 AM
if they toll and he has to play next year, are they allowed to trade him?

boredguy
01-24-2011, 12:11 PM
Yeah, they should be able to trade him without the waiver restrictions then. There's no guarantee that even if the Isles do appeal to the NHL to toll the contract they'll actually agree to it. While they NHL has done that before with Yashin and Radulov this situation is very different.

Chilly_Willy
01-24-2011, 12:16 PM
Personally after the Neidermier, Salanne, Sundin situations of the past. I am happy to see one of these guys trying to join mid season get completely screwed. If you are gonna sign and play just do it and get on with it. The whole media blitz drama are they coming back where are they going it just looks petty.

I fault Nabakov completely on this. NYI claimed him within the rules and Nabakov is a moron if he didn't think it could happen. To not report shows the type of leadership he brings to the table, the guy has never even sniffed the cup and was on a team notorios for shitting the bed in the post season. This is all much to do about nothing and about a player laying in the bed he made. Fuck em.