PDA

View Full Version : Random NFL chatter

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-02-2010, 05:59 PM
I didn't know where else to post this but I am so excited I had to put it somewhere! :D

Back to back prime time heavyweight showdowns. It's got to be pretty rare that this happens? Good work by the NFL on scheduling this one.

8-3 tied for division lead Steelers & Ravens on SNF

9-2 tied for division lead Pats & Jets on MNF

If things continue as is, tie breakers and ultimately division titles at stake here, no?

The winner of these two games could very well end up with the top two seeds in the AFC.

:cheers:

FlyGuy78
12-02-2010, 06:18 PM
I can't wait to watch these two games, they should be fun. I'm picking the Ravens (sorry Sponge) with The Rapist supporting a broken foot and the Pats since I don't think the Jets have been playing well enough to keep up with the Pats as of late.

rico3994
12-02-2010, 06:36 PM
I was looking for a thread to post this in, so I'm glad you started it.

Sunday and Monday night are going to be GREAT, can't wait. Plus a little Thursday night football never hurts.

Doctego
12-02-2010, 10:09 PM
9-3 tied for division lead Pats & Jets on MNF9-2. Get it right.:D

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-03-2010, 12:34 AM
9-2. Get it right.:D

oops :D

wtf is up with Ben's foot anyway. Steelers release --

In response to inquiries about Ben Roethlisberger having a broken foot, Steelers spokesperson Dave Lockett said there is no new fracture in Benís foot. Benís current injury is an aggravation of an old injury where scar tissue is present.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-03-2010, 12:37 AM
Wow McCoy had a big night tonight. Vick got pounded but still made some big plays. Good win for them tonight. Anyone think the Eagles are a legitimate post season threat in the NFC this year ?

Kyle
12-03-2010, 03:05 AM
Wow McCoy had a big night tonight. Vick got pounded but still made some big plays. Good win for them tonight. Anyone think the Eagles are a legitimate post season threat in the NFC this year ?

Does anyone NOT think that?:wtf: I'm not calling them THE SB favorites but they absolutely have to be a legitimate threat by any standards.

Doctego
12-03-2010, 07:11 AM

They have to be considered 1 of the best chances to represent the NFC at this point. They have so much speed on offense and more playmakers than anyone on offense. Vick's athleticism covers the deficiencies of the OL. As long as their defense can play OK, they are a legitimate threat.

Hockeyis#1
12-03-2010, 11:52 AM
The Eagles are my pick to lose in the SB to whoever wins the AFC this year.

dw13
12-03-2010, 12:17 PM
I think the Falcons are the favorites right now, especially because they are in prime position for home field throughout. Matty Ice is absolutely unstoppable in the Georgia Dome and I think they match up well with the Falcons. Wouldn't that be a hell of an NFC championship game? Vick's Eagles coming back to Atlanta to take on the Falcons for a shot at the Superbowl.

two24four
12-03-2010, 12:26 PM
I agree that right now the team to beat in the NFC is Atlanta.

Cant wait for this weekends games, the two primetime games this weekend are going to be fun to watch.

dw13
12-03-2010, 12:41 PM
Yeah both games are going to be really awesome. I'm really looking forward to it, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about Monday night. It's going to be extremely tough going into Foxboro and coming away with a win.

two24four
12-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Yeah both games are going to be really awesome. I'm really looking forward to it, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about Monday night. It's going to be extremely tough going into Foxboro and coming away with a win.

I think anyone who is a Jets/Pats fan would agree, I know I do.

I know we dont agree on alot when it comes to the Jets and Pats, but I think we can agree on this, may the best team win, it should be one heck of a game.

dw13
12-03-2010, 12:50 PM
I think anyone who is a Jets/Pats fan would agree, I know I do.

I know we dont agree on alot when it comes to the Jets and Pats, but I think we can agree on this, may the best team win, it should be one heck of a game.

Definitely. As much shit I talk about the Pats, it's for obvious reasons. They have what I want. Plain and simple, really.

Kyle
12-03-2010, 04:41 PM
I think the Falcons are the favorites right now, especially because they are in prime position for home field throughout. Matty Ice is absolutely unstoppable in the Georgia Dome and I think they match up well with the Falcons. Wouldn't that be a hell of an NFC championship game? Vick's Eagles coming back to Atlanta to take on the Falcons for a shot at the Superbowl.

I think the Falcon's record has flattered them. They very easily could be 6-5.

dw13
12-03-2010, 04:48 PM
I think the Falcon's record has flattered them. They very easily could be 6-5.

Alot of teams could say the same thing with their records though. Falcons are a bit unconvincing on the road but if they land the home field spot, I can't see anyone else being called the favorite. Matt Ryan just doesn't lose at home. They play awesome there.

habsfan1
12-05-2010, 07:34 PM
Hell of a game between Atlanta and TB. Atlanta just sealed it with a pick. Great game by Grimes.

phaneuf6
12-05-2010, 07:38 PM
My Chiefs keep rolling.

heliosj
12-05-2010, 07:43 PM
Hell of a game between Atlanta and TB. Atlanta just sealed it with a pick. Great game by Grimes.Meh. I guess I should just accept the Bucs just aren't there yet. I had myself half convinced that they were going to win this one and be within a game of a serious playoff shot. It's not over, but with the upcoming schedule.. it's over. If you had told me they'd go .500 (which is probable) at the start of the season, I probably would have laughed at you. Small victories, I guess.

Young team, lots of skill, they'll be a force to contend with in upcoming seasons.

Edit: :yes: Sponge, we've needed a general NFL thread for awhile now.

two24four
12-05-2010, 07:46 PM
P. Manning with another 4 INT's today, that's 11 INT's for him in the last three weeks.

I'm loving Freeman and Blount for T-Bay.

heliosj
12-05-2010, 07:59 PM
I'm loving Freeman and Blount for T-Bay.They're an excellent pairing. Morris was really smart to give Blount a second chance. I know he's getting up there in years, but I hope Ronde Barber comes back for one last season, next year could be a real run for them.. he'd be nice to see a Buc actually get two rings.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-05-2010, 10:41 PM
WHAT THE FUCK REFS, YEAH!?

Seriously. No flag on the Miller hit? No flag when Ben gets punched in the fucking mouth so hard that his nose turns as crooked as he is ? What if that were Brady or Manning, huh ?

Harrison would be CRUCIFIED for either infraction. The flag would have been out before the hits even fucking happened!

I am seriously getting pissed.

Hardly game breakers here but w t m f f ?

Fuck you NFL. Fuck you hard.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-05-2010, 11:39 PM
OH NASTY!

Polamalu again with a game breaker

What a mother fucking football game. Great stuff despite some horrible work by the zebras and a bit of horrible play calling by Bruce Arians. Good as we could have hoped for though, really. Typical Ravens/Steelers brawl where defense is the word. Playoff atmosphere out there tonight. Big win in hopes of winning the AFC North and perhaps catching that 2nd seed and first round bye.

9-3 is nice. Fuck yeah. Always a good feeling when the Steelers beat the Ravens.

Can't wait for an equally intense divisional battle tomorrow night with Jets and Pats.

Money on the Pats at home.

Steelers and Jets got a game coming up too. Holmes to face his old team. That should be a great game as well.

God I love me some football.

heliosj
12-06-2010, 06:28 AM
Fuck you NFL. Fuck you hard.

God I love me some football. :lol:

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-06-2010, 07:39 AM
:lol:

Lol. It's an abusive relationship. :D

We took a little nap after that one.. woke up just now around 4am and I am still drunk hahaha.

Good times.

habsfan1
12-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Current standings in the NFC:

1. Atlanta 10-2
2. Chicago 9-3
3. Philly 8-4
4. St.Louis 6-6
5. New Orleans 9-3
6. NY Giants 8-4
7. Green Bay 8-4
8. Tampa Bay 7-5

Now what is wrong with that picture? I think the divsion winner should get a play-off spot, if not why have divisions. But why should a team like St. Louis automatically get a home play-off game?

heliosj
12-06-2010, 12:28 PM
Don Meredith, an all-pro quarterback who made his greatest impact on the game after he finished playing, died Sunday at a Santa Fe, New Mexico, hospital, according to a spokesman. He was 72.

The spokesman was unable to confirm the cause of death.

Meredith, nicknamed "Dandy Don," was part of the original Monday Night Football broadcast team when the program debuted on ABC in 1970.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/12/06/monday-night-football-legend-dandy-don-meredith-dies/?hpt=T2

Edit: Fucking MNF is going to be insufferable tonight.

Doctego
12-06-2010, 04:07 PM
Current standings in the NFC:

1. Atlanta 10-2
2. Chicago 9-3
3. Philly 8-4
4. St.Louis 6-6
5. New Orleans 9-3
6. NY Giants 8-4
7. Green Bay 8-4
8. Tampa Bay 7-5

Now what is wrong with that picture? I think the divsion winner should get a play-off spot, if not why have divisions. But why should a team like St. Louis automatically get a home play-off game?

Because they won their division and the WC did not. I would expect that to be discussed this offseason, especially if the NFC West winner has a .500 or worse record. I can see it both ways but would have no issue if they just guaranteed a playoff spot to the division winners and then seeded them according to record.

habsfan1
12-06-2010, 06:50 PM
Because they won their division and the WC did not. I would expect that to be discussed this offseason, especially if the NFC West winner has a .500 or worse record. I can see it both ways but would have no issue if they just guaranteed a playoff spot to the division winners and then seeded them according to record.

I understand the current rules, just hoping this situation brings a rule change in the upcoming turbulent offseason.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-06-2010, 07:13 PM
Enjoy the battle tonight boys! Because that is what it will be. Let's see if it can top last night's slug fest.

I will be secretly pulling for the Jets.

:cheers:

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-06-2010, 11:00 PM
Just got home. This game looks like it has sucked a whole lot of balls. Unless your a Pats fan, of course, but blowouts are sooo boring.

Are the Pats this good or are the Jets this bad ?

Wow.

Just wow.

dw13
12-06-2010, 11:08 PM
Just got home. This game looks like it has sucked a whole lot of balls. Unless your a Pats fan, of course, but blowouts are sooo boring.

Are the Pats this good or are the Jets this bad ?

Wow.

Just wow.

Mix of both. Jets were awful (they have been for a numerous amount of weeks now) and the Pats were great on offense (they have been for a numerous amount of weeks now).

Doctego
12-06-2010, 11:15 PM
Just goes to show that barely beating mediocre teams week after week makes you a paper 9-2 team. By no means are they bad but they aren't nearly as good as their record. I think that the only team that they beat with a winning record now is the Pats in week 2. Doesn't bode well with the upcoming schedule.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-07-2010, 12:03 AM
Major drag! I was expecting a lot more out of this one. Sanchez must have been hanging out with Peyton Manning earlier in the day!

Oh well. Another week in the books and another step closer to putting together the pieces of our upcoming playoff puzzle.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-07-2010, 12:11 AM
In other news. McClain and Ngata were issued fines by the NFL. Still can't believe there wasn't a single flag thrown on either of these plays. I am less drunk but still irritated. :freak:

Where do these guys come up with their numbers? Harrison got popped for 75K for a hit on a WR earlier in the year but McClain only gets tagged for 40k. Ngata busts a nose after a hit to the face of the oh so coveted QB and only gets 15k. I am not complaining I just don't get it. Do they just pull a piece of paper with a number on it from out of a bag and call it a day or what ? :confused:

Also, where does this money actually go anyway ?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-steelers-ravens-mcclainhit

The NFL has fined Ravens linebacker Jameel McClain (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/9068/)(notes) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/9068/news) $40,000 for his helmet hit that left Steelers tight end Heath Miller (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7206/)(notes) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7206/news) with a concussion.

Ravens nose tackle Haloti Ngata (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7761/)(notes) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7761/news) was fined $15,000 for hitting Ben Roethlisberger’s (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6770/)(notes) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6770/news) helmet and breaking the Pittsburgh quarterback’s nose. Ngata’s left hand raked across the quarterback’s face during Pittsburgh’s first offensive series.

Spartan
12-08-2010, 04:11 PM
NFL has fined Suh $15K for shoving Cutler.

YouTube - Suh's Forearm Punch to Cutler

The call was terrible anyways and now the league is doubling down on stupid with the added fine.

This league is as shitty as the NHL was pre-lockout. I hope during the lockout next season they find a way to fix the rules like the NHL did.

Doctego
12-08-2010, 06:09 PM
That was a shit call.

Kyle
12-08-2010, 07:08 PM
Nonsense call. Man is Suh sure strong.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-08-2010, 07:33 PM
Unbelievable. This is beyond ridiculous.

Doctego
12-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Man is Suh sure strong.

Try saying that 10 times fast.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-12-2010, 04:50 PM
Oh man that botched kick at the end of the Skins/Bucs game.. horrible way to end a game if you are Wash.

phaneuf6
12-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Cassel down, ouch.

dw13
12-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Cassel down, ouch.

Yeah, appendectomy's, such a bitch. :lol:

He'll be back next week, buddy.

phaneuf6
12-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Yeah, appendectomy's, such a bitch. :lol:

He'll be back next week, buddy.

Sucks to happen this game though, would've been nice to send a message to the Chargers and pad the division lead. Makes the offense pretty one-dimensional now.

Anyways, Pats are dominating the Bears right now, this offense is unbelievable.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-13-2010, 03:34 PM
Brady and that offense are unreal. That hippie needs to cut his hair!

Speaking of QB, will Roethlisberger ever get a flag for an illegal or a late hit? Esp the ones he is taking to his big fat head? He is taking them BAD this year and yet they never seem to get called. Yet if our defensive monsters even breathe in the wrong direction toward an opposing QB it's flagged and often fined. The entire situation is perplexing, to say the least.

Go Houston!

two24four
12-13-2010, 03:40 PM

Speaking of QB, will Roethlisberger ever get a flag for an illegal or a late hit? Esp the ones he is taking to his big fat head? He is taking them BAD this year and yet they never seem to get called. Yet if our defensive monsters even breathe in the wrong direction toward an opposing QB it's flagged and often fined. The entire situation is perplexing, to say the least.

Go Houston!

haha, no way !! keep what's working.

heliosj
12-13-2010, 03:46 PM
http://canuckjihad.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/crybaby.png?w=300&h=425

:D

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-13-2010, 04:03 PM
http://canuckjihad.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/crybaby.png?w=300&h=425

:D

jerk :p

You can't tell me that the entire NFL and their inconsistent "oh we have to protect the QB at all costs" bullshit is just that, a bunch of bullshit.

The calls on the late/illegal hits, the fines, it has all been an inconsistent mess all around the league this season. The more often I see Ben getting roughed up after the play or taking another uncalled hit to the helmet, the more irritated I get. Esp. considering the fact that James Harrison would be hung by the balls and crucified 10x over if/when he does some of those same things to another QB like a Brady or Manning of the league. The double standard is just annoying the piss out of me/us. If you're gonna make rules to protect the QB, protect them ALL.

heliosj
12-13-2010, 04:12 PM
jerk :pYes. Hi, I'm Jeff - we already know each other.

You can't tell me that the entire NFL and their inconsistent "oh we have to protect the QB at all costs" bullshit is just that, a bunch of bullshit.

The calls on the late/illegal hits, the fines, it has all been an inconsistent mess all around the league this season. The more often I see Ben getting roughed up after the play or taking another uncalled hit to the helmet, the more irritated I get. Esp. considering the fact that James Harrison would be hung by the balls and crucified 10x over if/when he does some of those same things to another QB like a Brady or Manning of the league. The double standard is just annoying the piss out of me/us. If you're gonna make rules to protect the QB, protect them ALL.Eh. I don't buy it. Ben isn't getting any more non-calls than the next QB. It's all subjective as hell, there are some officiating crews that are just simply Nazis and others who are not. I think it all works out more or less as a wash -- bad calls are part of the game too. Heck, wasn't it your Steelers who stole one several games back? :P </cliches>

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-13-2010, 04:27 PM
You know, coincidentally I am watching NFL network right now.. Apparently Reid and the Eagles are complaining about some of the hits that Vick is taking as well. Comparing him to Brady or Manning.. and talking about how guys like Vick aren't treated the same as your more elite franchise guys. I know I probably sound like a whiny Steelers fan but I really think there is a double standard here that is hard for me to ignore. :dunno:

b_illin
12-13-2010, 04:34 PM

Go Houston!

Seriously. While he is mega douche off the field, Big Ben is a real deal football player. Watching him get up and again and again after getting rocked makes me respect the on-field Big Ben even more. (note this twofour, I can critique a dude off the field/ice and still respect them on it...a la Phaneuf! :p)

Yes. Hi, I'm Jeff - we already know each other.

Eh. I don't buy it. Ben isn't getting any more non-calls than the next QB. It's all subjective as hell, there are some officiating crews that are just simply Nazis and others who are not. I think it all works out more or less as a wash -- bad calls are part of the game too. Heck, wasn't it your Steelers who stole one several games back? :P </cliches>

Dude, you need to watch some Steelers highlights! He has been getting mauled the last 2-3 weeks in particular and there have been no calls...but fines afterwards. Did you see his nose last week??

heliosj
12-13-2010, 04:43 PM
You know, coincidentally I am watching NFL network right now.. Apparently Reid and the Eagles are complaining about some of the hits that Vick is taking as well. Comparing him to Brady or Manning.. and talking about how guys like Vick aren't treated the same as your more elite franchise guys. I know I probably sound like a whiny Steelers fan but I really think there is a double standard here that is hard for me to ignore. :dunno:I'll keep an eye out for it, just doesn't feel that way to me. And if you don't call it against Peyton, he'll pout the rest of the game.. :P Maybe Ben & Vick should just cry about it a lot more.

two24four
12-13-2010, 06:34 PM
Sounds like Favre's streak is coming to an end tonight, but I will believe when I see it with him.

b_illin
12-14-2010, 11:23 AM
Favre looked like a little bitch pouting on the sidelines...you could literally see his thought process! ('no way, Tavaris threw a pick...I should be in there!' eyes rolling to the side)

I hate you Brett!

two24four
12-14-2010, 01:13 PM
If P. Manning can stay healthy, (and does not retire in the next six years) he will break Favre's games played streak week 10 of 2016.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-15-2010, 03:25 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/535857-pittsburgh-steelers-quarterback-ben-roethlisberger-man-of-steel

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-15-2010, 04:15 AM
If P. Manning can stay healthy, (and does not retire in the next six years) he will break Favre's games played streak week 10 of 2016.

Wow. Let's talk in 6 years, k? :p

Seriously. Huge streak/accomplishment. Mad respect. May never be matched, but I still wanted to puke the other night while watching to NFL network etc all over Brett's nuts. :rolleyes:

Doctego
12-15-2010, 07:50 AM

Seriously. Huge streak/accomplishment. Mad respect. May never be matched, but I still wanted to puke the other night while watching to NFL network etc all over Brett's nuts. :rolleyes:

Don't forget the long ass interview ESPN aired on SportsCenter last night.

b_illin
12-15-2010, 11:59 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/535857-pittsburgh-steelers-quarterback-ben-roethlisberger-man-of-steel

Amen!

Is Ben Roethlisberger the toughest quarterback in the NFL?

yes

97.8%

no

2.2%

Total votes: 1,425

two24four
12-15-2010, 12:52 PM

haha, I heard that on one of the NFL shows this week, they where going through a bunch of sats like that.

two24four
12-17-2010, 01:27 AM
49ers lose there 9th game of the season tonight, yet with some help they still have a chance at winning the NFC West, pretty sad.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-17-2010, 03:05 AM
Lotta talk about Cowher lately and with his wife passing.. I see him coming back next season, for sure.

Houston is a name being thrown around a lot. He could do well with that team. Talented team that seems to underachieve. Solid QB, # 1 WR, a great young RB. Could be a good fit.

two24four
12-17-2010, 01:16 PM
Yeah I heard that Cowher said he wants to get back coaching next year, I would not be shocked if he takes the job with the Panthers, he lives around there already.

b_illin
12-17-2010, 03:06 PM
Yeah I heard that Cowher said he wants to get back coaching next year, I would not be shocked if he takes the job with the Panthers, he lives around there already.

I don't know about that...something tells me with his wife gone and his kids grown-up that he might actually like a change of scenery and take a coaching job elsewhere.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-17-2010, 03:37 PM
I don't know about that...something tells me with his wife gone and his kids grown-up that he might actually like a change of scenery and take a coaching job elsewhere.

That is what I am thinking... he only moved down there because his wifey wanted to, no ?

heliosj
12-17-2010, 04:01 PM
I don't buy into the Carolina speculation at all. Carolina has great coaching and an absolutely TERRIBLE head office. If he comes back, he's going to Denver or Dallas, I suspect.

By the way, I think it's cute how we all pretend there is a next season. *sigh*

Spartan
12-17-2010, 04:17 PM
I think Dallas has their coach in Garrett. Word is that Denver wants Jim Harbaugh pretty badly but Cowher there makes a ton of sense. Don't sleep on San Francisco either. You could very well see him going somewhere unexpected, if Tom Coughlin retired that is another good fit.

heliosj
12-18-2010, 08:09 AM
I think you're right about Garrett and Dallas, but it's Jerry Jones -- so there's absolutely no telling. NYG would make sense too, but short of a total collapse, I think Coughlin sticks around for another couple of years.

Cowher in SanFran would be fun, but what will I do without all my weekly Mike Singletary YouTube videos? I've come to depend on them for weekend amusement. :)

Cowher is still a young guy, I'm sure he's in no rush. If he wants to wait, he'll get any job he wants. And he might be rushing himself into a miserable lockout, so.. why bother?

b_illin
12-18-2010, 12:54 PM
I think Dallas has their coach in Garrett. Word is that Denver wants Jim Harbaugh pretty badly but Cowher there makes a ton of sense. Don't sleep on San Francisco either. You could very well see him going somewhere unexpected, if Tom Coughlin retired that is another good fit.

Too bad Denver, he's coming to Michigan! :scared:

Spartan
12-18-2010, 02:34 PM
Too bad Denver, he's coming to Michigan! :scared:That's what I'm hearing too, he really wants the Michigan job. It will be interesting to watch all of this play out.

habsfan1
12-19-2010, 04:16 PM
This Philly/NYG game is frickin' awesome. Great comeback by Philly to tie it, one minute left.

habsfan1
12-19-2010, 04:20 PM
DeSean Jackson, WOW!!!!!!!

b_illin
12-19-2010, 04:25 PM
Wow, what a comeback!! That showboating by jackson was stupid...i'm remembering that if i'm on the giants!!

phaneuf6
12-19-2010, 04:25 PM
Wow, what a comeback.

dw13
12-19-2010, 04:26 PM
Wow, what a comeback!! That showboating by jackson was stupid...i'm remembering that if i'm on the giants!!

He was running the clock out...

The punter for the G-men is looking for a new job in the morning. :lol:

mrtybrodur30
12-19-2010, 04:49 PM
Cardinals loss....Check, Rams loss....Check, just need the Seahawks to lose now and somehow someway the Niners will play the Rams next week and with a 49ers win they would be alone in 1st. Just crazy! Screw 7-9 i dont care if 6-10 is all it takes to get in! :p

habsfan1
12-19-2010, 05:14 PM
The 4 worst teams all won this week, Buffalo, Cincinatti, Detroit, and Carolina. Could be 5 if Denver wins.

Doctego
12-19-2010, 07:21 PM

He might have been running the clock out but Ware was pretty close to being able to tackle him.

dw13
12-19-2010, 07:22 PM
He might have been running the clock out but Ware was pretty close to being able to tackle him.

I think he knew what he was doing, but I agree Ware was close.

b_illin
12-20-2010, 10:16 PM

The clock had run out a few seconds previously. He was hot dogging.

YouTube - Desean Jackson Punt Return TD for Eagles Win vs Giants 12/19/2010

two24four
12-20-2010, 10:23 PM
The clock had run out a few seconds previously. He was hot dogging.

YouTube - Desean Jackson Punt Return TD for Eagles Win vs Giants 12/19/2010 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-NC2w0cFEs)

I do that move when I'm playing Madden vs my buddies.

b_illin
12-21-2010, 10:42 AM
I do that move when I'm playing Madden vs my buddies.

Why do you do it? (to piss them off and rub it in, right?? :evilgrin:)

two24four
12-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Why do you do it? (to piss them off and rub it in, right?? :evilgrin:)

Sometimes that, but I will do it sometimes to kill the clock down as well if it's a close game that's near the end and I'm winning :p

phaneuf6
12-21-2010, 01:54 PM
Maybe he wasn't aware of the time left and was just being safe.

And even if he was showboating or whatever, the Giants deserved it. They blew a huge lead in the 4th quarter and lost on a terrible decision to punt to Jackson. Feel it.

b_illin
12-21-2010, 02:55 PM
Maybe he wasn't aware of the time left and was just being safe.

And even if he was showboating or whatever, the Giants deserved it. They blew a huge lead in the 4th quarter and lost on a terrible decision to punt to Jackson. Feel it.

Maybe

YouTube - Desean Jackson touchdown

ih8music
12-21-2010, 03:23 PM
^ haha. I was also inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one, but I didn't realize his track record. Yeah, it's probably more likely that he was showboating... again.

two24four
12-21-2010, 03:47 PM
I think he was showboating big time, it's what he does, he's bad for it.

b_illin
12-21-2010, 03:54 PM
I think he was showboating big time, it's what he does, he's bad for it.

Thank you...that's all I was looking for! (I'm glad someone else realizes it!)

dw13
12-21-2010, 03:59 PM
Thank you...that's all I was looking for! (I'm glad someone else realizes it!)

All you were looking for? You're such a goon sometimes Billy :lol:

b_illin
12-21-2010, 04:19 PM
All you were looking for? You're such a goon sometimes Billy :lol:

Totally! :D

Kyle
12-21-2010, 05:03 PM
Cardinals loss....Check, Rams loss....Check, just need the Seahawks to lose now and somehow someway the Niners will play the Rams next week and with a 49ers win they would be alone in 1st. Just crazy! Screw 7-9 i dont care if 6-10 is all it takes to get in! :p

lol this isn't hockey. Not any team can win it. The 49ers would be a fucking shame to the NFL playoffs and would get brutally annihilated by any of the teams they might run into. There needs to be some rule that any division leader that doesn't EXCEED .500 should be exempt from the standard rules about divisional leaders making the playoffs. Its just a joke that they even have a chance.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-23-2010, 10:03 PM
17-0 is hardly out of reach but for a team that has scored 23 points one time all season this is shaping up to be a blow out. I hate blow outs.

two24four
12-23-2010, 11:16 PM
Yeah of all teams for the Steelers to play in primetime, why the Panthers.

suckerpuncher
12-26-2010, 06:28 PM
With the win today the Rams are a tie away from clinching the NFC West. And I wouldn't put it past the NFC West team if it comes down to that.
Come on Rams. Go into the playoffs with a 7-8-1 record and spoil the party for the Saints.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-26-2010, 06:53 PM
Wow the Giants are ridiculous with turnovers this year.

C.Palmer, 269, 4 tds and 0 int with no TO or Ocho. Go figure.

Tim Tebow -- impressive couple of starts for him. How do you all feel about his future? He reminds me a little bit of Big Ben, in what limited action I have seen from him. Think he will be a full season starter in Denver sooner rather than later ?

phaneuf6
12-26-2010, 10:24 PM
Chiefs clinch baby. Big win next week over the Raiders could do good things for our first round matchup, and home field advantage of course.

suckerpuncher
12-27-2010, 03:53 AM
I just read that the NFC West champ will be crowned live prime time on Sunday Night Football. Well deserved. :lol:

FlyGuy78
12-27-2010, 08:02 AM
Chiefs clinch baby. Big win next week over the Raiders could do good things for our first round matchup, and home field advantage of course.

And we will do our best to ruin that for you!!! ;)

Doctego
12-27-2010, 08:27 AM
I just read that the NFC West champ will be crowned live prime time on Sunday Night Football. Well deserved. :lol:

It's the only true winner take all game.:blah:

two24four
12-27-2010, 01:40 PM
So was that Peyton Manning who went on a 27 yard run yesterday or did Vick play for the Colts yesterday. I love how he was so close to scoring a TD on the run but went for a slide about 4 Yds before the end zone, go for the rushing TD Peyton :lol: it would have been close, but I think he would have had it.

Doctego
12-27-2010, 02:12 PM
So was that Peyton Manning who went on a 27 yard run yesterday or did Vick play for the Colts yesterday. I love how he was so close to scoring a TD on the run but went for a slide about 4 Yds before the end zone, go for the rushing TD Peyton :lol: it would have been close, but I think he would have had it.

He iced the game. Him going down guaranteed victory. They ran the clock out right after that. Just like the Westbrook play from years ago.

dw13
12-27-2010, 02:52 PM
He iced the game. Him going down guaranteed victory. They ran the clock out right after that. Just like the Westbrook play from years ago.

or MJD vs the Jets last year.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-27-2010, 03:44 PM
Well Pit needs a win or a Balt loss to take the # 2 seed so that's an interesting set of games this weekend. Pitt vs Cleveland and Balt vs Cinci. Divisional rivals trying to play spoiler. As a Steelers fan I'd really love to see Pitt clinch that first round bye so that a few guys can get some extra rest and try to get healthy (TROY)

Then we have Indy and Jax fighting for the AFC South.

Any other interesting match ups with large playoff implications? I can't remember what is happening in the NFC other than NO and Atlanta duking it out tonight.

two24four
12-27-2010, 03:54 PM
Well Pit needs a win or a Balt loss to take the # 2 seed so that's an interesting set of games this weekend. Pitt vs Cleveland and Balt vs Cinci. Divisional rivals trying to play spoiler. As a Steelers fan I'd really love to see Pitt clinch that first round bye so that a few guys can get some extra rest and try to get healthy (TROY)

Then we have Indy and Jax fighting for the AFC South.

Any other interesting match ups with large playoff implications? I can't remember what is happening in the NFC other than NO and Atlanta duking it out tonight.

Yeah the SEA vs STL game has been moved to next Sunday night on NBC, winner takes the divsion.

boredguy
12-27-2010, 09:32 PM
Packers vs. Bears with Pack playing for the wild card and Bears could need the win to get the bye.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-29-2010, 02:43 AM
Pro Bowl is a bit of a joke but I think Mike Wallace got snubbed.. and that isn't just the homer in me.

suckerpuncher
12-29-2010, 04:50 PM
It's about all those "experts" stop bashing how bad the NFC West is and all the ideas of changing playoff seeds etc.

Nobody gave a rats ass when the Chargers won the AFC West with an 8-8 record in 2008. But for some reason 2010 it's so different.

And even if for some reason the Sehawks win the NFC West with a 7-9 record it's within the rules. I can't remember it stating the divison winner needs to play great football (inside or outside divisional games) and needs to have a winning record.

Granted the NFC West is in transition right now. The Cards lost a future HOF QB and some key players on both sides of the ball. The Seahawks are old and need to rebuild while 49ers just can't get their act together with all their talent. And the Rams are in rebuilding mode coming off 3-13, 2-14, and 1-15 seasons and now have 7 wins already.

It's not even unique all 4 teams have a down time at same time. And it will most likely happen again some time down the road.

And don't forget with the exception of the 49ers all other 3 NFC West teams have been in the Super Bowl in this decade. How many other divisions can say that?

Those experts should just get over it and care about more important issues.

Snipes16
12-29-2010, 05:06 PM
I dont disagree with anything Sucker just posted. My only complaint towards any division winner that makes the tourney with a losing record is that they shouldn't get home field advantage vs a wild card entry that ends up with 4 or 5 more wins yet has to play in that division winners house.

heliosj
12-29-2010, 05:07 PM
And don't forget with the exception of the 49ers all other 3 NFC West teams have been in the Super Bowl in this decade. How many other divisions can say that?The NFC South can say that. :P Saints, Bucs, and Panthers all went to the SuperBowl in this decade. And they won 2 out of the 3, I don't believe you can say that about the NFC West.

habsfan1
12-29-2010, 06:40 PM
Pro Bowl is a bit of a joke but I think Mike Wallace got snubbed.. and that isn't just the homer in me.

Who would you leave out for him. Lloyd led the league in receiving yards and had more td's and more catches. Wayne had less td's but had 45 more catches and more yards. Andre Johnson had more catches and more yards and only one less td. Bowe had less yards but led the league in receiving td's with 5 more than Wallace and had more receptions. I would have had Wallace fifth after these 4, I think they got it right.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-29-2010, 10:03 PM
Who would you leave out for him. Lloyd led the league in receiving yards and had more td's and more catches. Wayne had less td's but had 45 more catches and more yards. Andre Johnson had more catches and more yards and only one less td. Bowe had less yards but led the league in receiving td's with 5 more than Wallace and had more receptions. I would have had Wallace fifth after these 4, I think they got it right.

I know it's close but I'd take Wallace over Lloyd.

Wallace virtually erased any need for Santonio Holmes in this offense. He hauled in 7 of his 9 TDS on 40+ yard bombs proving to be one of the best deep threats in the league and he played with a 2nd/3rd/4th string QB for a quarter of the season. Lloyd had/has 1 td more. Big Deal. He hauled in more grabs, so what? Not many. Wallace nearly equaled him in TDS with at least 10 or 15 less touches. I dunno. Maybe I am being a homer. I do that sometimes. :dunno:

dw13
12-29-2010, 10:56 PM

Wallace virtually erased any need for Santonio Holmes in this offense. He hauled in 7 of his 9 TDS on 40+ yard bombs proving to be one of the best deep threats in the league and he played with a 2nd/3rd/4th string QB for a quarter of the season. Lloyd had/has 1 td more. Big Deal. He hauled in more grabs, so what? Not many. Wallace nearly equaled him in TDS with at least 10 or 15 less touches. I dunno. Maybe I am being a homer. I do that sometimes. :dunno:

15 more catches for Lloyd, 200+ more yards for Lloyd, 1 more TD for Lloyd.

Where is it close? Homer. :D

boredguy
12-29-2010, 11:18 PM
Nobody gave a rats ass when the Chargers won the AFC West with an 8-8 record in 2008. But for some reason 2010 it's so different.

Actually i remember hearing quite a bit of bitching about it that year. That was awesome though cause a lot of it came from Pats fans, haha.

I think division winners getting in regardless of record is fine, i'd do the seedings based on actual record though.

Also don't think Wallace got snubbed. If he was picked it woulda been fine but you can make easy cases for why all of'em get selected above him.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-30-2010, 03:12 AM
Actually i remember hearing quite a bit of bitching about it that year. That was awesome though cause a lot of it came from Pats fans, haha.

I think division winners getting in regardless of record is fine, i'd do the seedings based on actual record though.

Also don't think Wallace got snubbed. If he was picked it woulda been fine but you can make easy cases for why all of'em get selected above him.

I'm on board with that thinking as well. Division leaders should get a berth but I also wouldn't mind seeing the seeding based on actual records.

And yeah I guess that's probably a better way of looking at the Wallace/Lloyd gripe.

How about Peyton Hillis? I would have slated him in there over J.Charles as well. Though I guess again you could make solid arguments for both. Lotta guys had some really great years. It has been a fun regular season of football. I'm super excited for the post.

habsfan1
12-30-2010, 11:51 AM
I'm on board with that thinking as well. Division leaders should get a berth but I also wouldn't mind seeing the seeding based on actual records.

And yeah I guess that's probably a better way of looking at the Wallace/Lloyd gripe.

How about Peyton Hillis? I would have slated him in there over J.Charles as well. Though I guess again you could make solid arguments for both. Lotta guys had some really great years. It has been a fun regular season of football. I'm super excited for the post.

I think that is close too but I like Charles. His 6.4 avg yards per rush really stands out with me.

Since your a Steeler fan, Timmons over Lewis?

b_illin
12-30-2010, 12:05 PM

I disagree...and I'm a Steelers fan! As great as Wallace played, Lloyd deserves to be in the Pro Bowl.

dw13
12-30-2010, 08:57 PM
Did I hear the fines on Dunta, Harrison and Merriweather, all reduced? Must of been for show to fine them big, then after it dies down try to sneak it in and reduce it all. Goodell at his finest.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-30-2010, 09:37 PM
I think that is close too but I like Charles. His 6.4 avg yards per rush really stands out with me.

Since your a Steeler fan, Timmons over Lewis?

Naw. The more I think about it, guys like Timmons and Wallace will get their shot.

Besides, Ray Ray deserves it for this alone --

YouTube - Old Spice | Raven starring NFL Superperson Ray Lewis

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-30-2010, 09:40 PM
Did I hear the fines on Dunta, Harrison and Merriweather, all reduced? Must of been for show to fine them big, then after it dies down try to sneak it in and reduce it all. Goodell at his finest.

Source ?

Not that I don't believe you.

Fucking ridiculous.

dw13
12-31-2010, 12:35 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/30/nfl-reduces-big-fines-to-harrison-robinson-and-meriweather/

The other two appealed, Harrison didn't even appeal and got his bumped down. :lol:

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-31-2010, 12:37 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/30/nfl-reduces-big-fines-to-harrison-robinson-and-meriweather/

The other two appealed, Harrison didn't even appeal and got his bumped down. :lol:

Goodell and the rest of his inept cronies have no idea wtf they are doing do they?

I'm pretty sure James initially appealed that 75k fine though.. either way, what a fucking fiasco.

dw13
12-31-2010, 01:28 AM
Goodell and the rest of his inept cronies have no idea wtf they are doing do they?

I'm pretty sure James initially appealed that 75k fine though.. either way, what a fucking fiasco.

Says right in the article he didn't appeal.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-31-2010, 01:40 AM
Says right in the article he didn't appeal.

Actually it looks like the writer of that little blurb didn't really specify if Harrison did or did not appeal.

Either way, he definitely appealed the 75K and another 25K fine he got for a hit on Drew Brees. He lost both appeals. I was pretty sure about it but for sources sake.. a quick search into the archives and here you go.

Which makes the reduction all the more ridiculous, imo. Make up your fucking mind Goodell.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10313/1101964-100.stm

http://www.wpxi.com/news/25950222/detail.html

dw13
12-31-2010, 01:41 AM
Battista writes that Robinson and Meriweather appealed the fines.

Ted Cottrell, who overseas the fines, looked back at Harrisonís case and reduced the fine with Commissioner Roger Goodellís blessing.

That's in the article.

Either way, makes it even more interesting.

b_illin
12-31-2010, 11:50 AM

They should show the league and Goodell up by (very) publicly proclaiming that they will donate the fine savings towards charity...or something along those lines.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
01-02-2011, 02:28 PM
31-3 at the half in Cleveland. I wonder if Tomlin will start sitting some guys in the 3rd quarter. #2 seed and first round bye all but locked up. Good deal.

phaneuf6
01-02-2011, 04:35 PM
Oakland beats the Chiefs to go 6-0 within the division this year and hand KC their first loss at home. Oh well, at least we're playoff bound.

two24four
01-02-2011, 05:57 PM
Oakland is the frist team to go 6-0 vs there own divsion yet still not make the playoffs.

Looking forward to tonight's St. Louis vs Seattle game, win and your in.

I'm pumped for the playoffs, now the real season starts.

FlyGuy78
01-02-2011, 06:23 PM
Oakland is the frist team to go 6-0 vs there own divsion yet still not make the playoffs.....

I'm still happy we beat the teams I hate the most!! :D

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
01-02-2011, 07:06 PM
GB is in. Watch out.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
01-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Indy is in at # 3 with the division clinched. I'm not sure I'm too worried about them though but good on Peyton for working through some serious struggles and helping that team get into the post.

FlyGuy78
01-02-2011, 07:13 PM
Jets @ Colts
Ravens @ Chiefs

Too bad for the Jets. They were lucky to get into the playoffs. Too bad they will be one and done this year. Ravens beat the Chiefs.

dw13
01-02-2011, 07:15 PM
Jets @ Colts
Ravens @ Chiefs

Too bad for the Jets. They were lucky to get into the playoffs. Too bad they will be one and done this year. Ravens beat the Chiefs.

11-5 is never lucky to get in. Don't be bitter.

See ya Saturday night, Indy.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
01-02-2011, 07:16 PM
Jets @ Colts
Ravens @ Chiefs

If it is Colts/Ravens who advance past the wild card that means the Ravens would get to play in NE in the next round right?

I like the Ravens to beat NE over any of the other teams.

FlyGuy78
01-02-2011, 07:32 PM
11-5 is never lucky to get in. Don't be bitter.

See ya Saturday night, Indy.

They could easily have been a 9-7 or 8-8 team. They are not as good as their record shows. You will need a LOT of luck in IND next week!

two24four
01-02-2011, 07:54 PM
Green Bay vs Philly will be a good game next weekend.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
01-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Wild card and divisional schedules.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/01/02/wild-card-and-divisional-playoff-schedule/?module=breaking_news

two24four
01-03-2011, 01:40 AM
St. Louis vs Seattle was not that great of a game, I was hoping for a better game.

Bradford did not look that great, mind you he needs better WR's.

Whitehurst did his job, and that was not turn the ball over.

So Seattle gets home feild with a 7-9 record, frist team in NFL history with a losing record to get a home feild game in the playoffs, vs the Saints who are 11-5, that's crazy.

Bring on the playoffs !!!!

suckerpuncher
01-03-2011, 06:01 AM
The easiest thing to do is blaming the refs for the Rams loss. And even though they did a horrible job there's more to it.

Like I said all season the Rams need a big play WR who moves the sticks and actually catches some balls.
The secondary also need help like you could see especially on the first drive by the Seahawks.
And of course OC Shumur needs to be fired. His play-calling has been bad all year. No creativity, no big plays but almost always short passes and runs through the middle. Even the worst defense can figure that out.

Maybe missing the playoffs can help the Rams to focus on the things that need to be done.

dw13
01-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Sounds like Vince Young will be released

Doctego
01-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Sounds like Vince Young will be released

Wow. Can't say that I disagree but I thought that the relationship between owner and QB would force Fisher out.

two24four
01-06-2011, 12:28 AM
Wow. Can't say that I disagree but I thought that the relationship between owner and QB would force Fisher out.

I read something yesterday that said the higher ups for the Titans went to the owner and said get rid of Young and keep Fisher, I guess he went with what they had to say.

suckerpuncher
01-06-2011, 04:02 AM
A good decision.
Maybe the higher-ups of the Raiders (if there even are any) should talk some sense into Al Davis. :lol:

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
01-06-2011, 04:16 PM
Of Merch

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201101/polamalu_family_500.jpg

More Steelers merchandise was sold during the 2010 season than any other NFL team, according to NFLShop.com, which counted sales from April 1, 2010 through Jan. 2.

And the top-selling jersey? Steelers safety Troy Polamalu, a candidate for NFL defensive player of the year, beat them all and was the only non-quarterback among the top eight jersey sales last season.

America's real team :p

Doctego
01-06-2011, 05:17 PM
It amazes me that he is even in the discussion for defensive player of the year. He looked lost for a decent portion of the season and missed 2 games at the end. He had no more than half of a season at his normal level, IMHO.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
01-06-2011, 08:38 PM
It amazes me that he is even in the discussion for defensive player of the year. He looked lost for a decent portion of the season and missed 2 games at the end. He had no more than half of a season at his normal level, IMHO.

I don't think he wins it but I'm not shocked to see his name mentioned in discussion. He's battled some injuries all season and I agree has made some bad decisions at times but when the guy is on he is ON. As pure a game breaker on defense as you will find in the NFL and those game breaker INTs, sacks and forced fumbles are what you see on ESPN and NFL network etc. I know it is a team game and takes a full 60 minute effort from everybody but the guy is absolutely responsible for a couple of marks in the W column this season.

Doctego
01-06-2011, 09:02 PM
I don't think he wins it but I'm not shocked to see his name mentioned in discussion. He's battled some injuries all season and I agree has made some bad decisions at times but when the guy is on he is ON. As pure a game breaker on defense as you will find in the NFL and those game breaker INTs, sacks and forced fumbles are what you see on ESPN and NFL network etc. I know it is a team game and takes a full 60 minute effort from everybody but the guy is absolutely responsible for a couple of marks in the W column this season.

Understood but we had discussions about him almost halfway through the season saying how lost and out of position he looks this season. Combine that with him being out for 2 games and you have my surprise. I don't care how great he has been this season in the other games.

Doctego
01-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Harbaugh to Niners with a 5 year deal??

b_illin
01-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Harbaugh to Niners with a 5 year deal??

Fuck

suckerpuncher
01-07-2011, 04:28 PM
Given the recent "succes" of College coaches in the NFL it remains to be seen how long he'll be in San Francisco.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
01-13-2011, 10:56 PM
The first award is in for the season and the NFL 101 Awards have named Troy Polamalu as its AFC Defensive Player of the Year. The 101, headquartered in Kansas City, has issued NFL awards for 41 years.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11013/1117778-100.stm#ixzz1AyjVBZjN

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
01-15-2011, 03:40 AM
Random note -- Ray Lewis mic'd up on NFL network. Fucking tight. That guy.... is... unbelievable. Not only does he make huge plays on the field but he is by far one of THE best motivators/leaders I have ever seen on a defensive unit. Talk about pumped up. Mad respect Ray Ray. :bowdown:

I know I'm supposed to hate him and I do, but it's damned hard not to respect the guy for all he brings.

dw13
01-27-2011, 06:58 PM
Jeff Fisher and the Titans are no more.

b_illin
01-27-2011, 06:59 PM
Vince Young FTW! :lol:

(and wow!)

two24four
01-27-2011, 07:01 PM
Vince Young FTW! :lol:

(and wow!)

No, they are saying they still plan on letting him go.

b_illin
01-27-2011, 07:03 PM
No, they are saying they still plan on letting him go.

Yeah, I missed that...but will be interesting to see based on Bud Adams hard-on for Vince.

Doctego
01-27-2011, 11:53 PM
Yeah, I missed that...but will be interesting to see based on Bud Adams hard-on for Vince.

He's 88. I don't think that he has a hardon for anything these days.

b_illin
01-28-2011, 10:43 AM
He's 88. I don't think that he has a hardon for anything these days.

YouTube - Andrew's Good Morning Viagra Commercial

Doctego
01-28-2011, 10:00 PM
I really thought they were going to have his dick get caught in the elevator door.

canuckthug
02-09-2011, 02:04 AM
Superbowl is over and now the attention goes to the offseason. The question is, will the offseason be longer? I say not a chance in Hell !!

I heard the NFL makes $2billion during the pre-season alone and the regular season generates over $10 billion. The NFL is a money making machine and i cannot see the league being halted, postponed, delayed, or cancelled in any shape or form. The latest superbowl had over 111 million viewers (all time TV record) which broke last years all time high. Once again, no chance in hell that the league wont settle...

Doctego
02-09-2011, 07:49 AM
Superbowl is over and now the attention goes to the offseason. The question is, will the offseason be longer? I say not a chance in Hell !!

I heard the NFL makes $2billion during the pre-season alone and the regular season generates over $10 billion. The NFL is a money making machine and i cannot see the league being halted, postponed, delayed, or cancelled in any shape or form. The latest superbowl had over 111 million viewers (all time TV record) which broke last years all time high. Once again, no chance in hell that the league wont settle...

That is somewhat logical but these negotiations are rarely logical. Unfortunately, the owners have the leverage here.

b_illin
02-09-2011, 11:20 AM
I don't see a lockout..or at least a long one - too much at stake for both the players and the league/owners. The NFL is the undisputed King in NA sports and they wouldn't want to risk losing any of the dominant mkt share they own I would think.

FlyGuy78
02-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Unfortunately, the owners have the leverage here.

Why is that?

ih8music
02-09-2011, 11:46 AM
I don't see a lockout..or at least a long one - too much at stake for both the players and the league/owners. The NFL is the undisputed King in NA sports and they wouldn't want to risk losing any of the dominant mkt share they own I would think.
I don't think a lockout would do anything to the NFL's position as the nation's top sport. They've had labor issues in the past -- anyone remember the "scab" teams during the last strike? -- and while many fans complained, they all came back. Same thing would happen here if there's a lockout, even if it takes away a full season or the league resorts to scab players again. People will be pissed at the absurdity of "millionaires fighting against billionaires" but they will come back.

That being said, I don't think anyone wants to unnecessarily lose money to prove a point -- so I'm hopeful that a deal will be reached before next season. But I agree with Doc that the owners are in the dominant position here. Since they're invested for the long haul, while players only have a couple of years to make their money, they can better afford to take a temporary loss if it's going to be a better long term deal. The players will feel the pain of a lockout a lot quicker than the owners will.

Doctego
02-09-2011, 12:48 PM
Why is that?

Let me preface this by saying that I don't mean to imply that either side wants there to be no football next season. That said, my main point is that the owners are getting network money whether there's football or not. Not that there would be a basket passed around for the owners if they weren't getting any money but these guys are getting paid either way. On the other hand, the players aren't getting shit without football. That's a big difference there. I would hate to see a good thing (the NFL) messed up but, if I was a betting man, I would definitely bet on the owners in this 1. If 1 side is going to get "screwed", I definitely see it being the players.

b_illin
02-09-2011, 03:18 PM
I don't think a lockout would do anything to the NFL's position as the nation's top sport. They've had labor issues in the past -- anyone remember the "scab" teams during the last strike? -- and while many fans complained, they all came back. Same thing would happen here if there's a lockout, even if it takes away a full season or the league resorts to scab players again. People will be pissed at the absurdity of "millionaires fighting against billionaires" but they will come back.

That being said, I don't think anyone wants to unnecessarily lose money to prove a point -- so I'm hopeful that a deal will be reached before next season. But I agree with Doc that the owners are in the dominant position here. Since they're invested for the long haul, while players only have a couple of years to make their money, they can better afford to take a temporary loss if it's going to be a better long term deal. The players will feel the pain of a lockout a lot quicker than the owners will.

Agreed, it would have to be a reallllllllly long lockout for them to lose that top spot....but part of the reasonm they have grown so strong is because they haven't had any labour issues (unlike the NBA/NHL/MLB) in a long time and a disruption next season would certainly hurt them and their dominant position on the throne of NA professional sports.

dw13
02-10-2011, 01:45 PM
Everyone is drooling over Cam Newtons work out today.

habsfan1
03-03-2011, 10:46 AM
Talk of the NFLPA decertifying today, pretty interesting read below.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?page=munson/110302

Doctego
03-03-2011, 02:45 PM
Completely expected and SOP to me.

moans
03-03-2011, 06:00 PM
Looks like they've agreed to extend the deadline by 24 hours.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6177293

two24four
03-08-2011, 02:57 PM
Tiki Barber is making a comeback.

dw13
03-08-2011, 03:02 PM

Make your move New England.

two24four
03-08-2011, 03:02 PM

haha, no thanks, we have Woodhead, The Law Firm etc....

Adam Schefter is saying teams like Denver, NO and Tampa might look into him.

dw13
03-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Can't believe he's coming back. :lol:

Probably broke?

suckerpuncher
03-08-2011, 03:18 PM
He's most likely too young and has probably too much left in the tank for the Pats. :D

dw13
03-08-2011, 03:33 PM
He's most likely too young and has probably too much left in the tank for the Pats. :D

:lol::beer:

two24four
03-08-2011, 03:35 PM
haha.

At least they are still one of the best teams in the league, I dont care how old or young they are.

dw13
03-08-2011, 03:40 PM
haha.

At least they are still one of the best teams in the league, I dont care how old or young they are.

Haha, there is no doubt. You know we're just giving you a hard time :beer:

two24four
03-08-2011, 03:42 PM
Haha, there is no doubt. You know we're just giving you a hard time :beer:

I know, it's all good.

I love how we have two 1st round picks this season as well, younger help is on the way.

FlyGuy78
03-08-2011, 11:44 PM

Tiki has as good of a chance of making a roster on a team as I do at this point in his life! :rolleyes:

Doctego
03-09-2011, 07:28 AM
Tiki has as good of a chance of making a roster on a team as I do at this point in his life! :rolleyes:

Disagree completely. He had his best years at the end of his career. While I don't expect him to pick up where he left off and be a feature back, the league has changed. Multiple backs are the norm now. Someone will definitely take a chance on him. Not at nearly the salary that he walked away from but someone will offer him a job.

FlyGuy78
03-09-2011, 08:36 AM
Disagree completely. He had his best years at the end of his career. While I don't expect him to pick up where he left off and be a feature back, the league has changed. Multiple backs are the norm now. Someone will definitely take a chance on him. Not at nearly the salary that he walked away from but someone will offer him a job.

I agree with what you said Doc but the guy hasn't played football in 4 years. At 35 years old, I wonder how much juice he has left in him.

Doctego
03-09-2011, 09:03 AM
I agree with what you said Doc but the guy hasn't played football in 4 years. At 35 years old, I wonder how much juice he has left in him.

I wonder about that as well. His age, character issues, and the fact that he threw his last coach and QB under the bus all raise questions. That said, pretty much every team uses multiple backs now. He will find work. Not a 250+ carry gig but he will find a roster spot somewhere. If I was a betting man, I would say that he will join Ronde in Tampa.

His age doesn't help but I think that hits are more important than age and he has avoided hits for the past few years. I don't expect anything like 2006 Tiki but I also don't expect him to fall on his face.

FlyGuy78
03-09-2011, 02:33 PM
I wonder about that as well. His age, character issues, and the fact that he threw his last coach and QB under the bus all raise questions. That said, pretty much every team uses multiple backs now. He will find work. Not a 250+ carry gig but he will find a roster spot somewhere. If I was a betting man, I would say that he will join Ronde in Tampa.

His age doesn't help but I think that hits are more important than age and he has avoided hits for the past few years. I don't expect anything like 2006 Tiki but I also don't expect him to fall on his face.

Wonder if he still knows how to hold onto a football too! lol :)

suckerpuncher
03-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Seems like they finally agreed on a rookie wage scale:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-rookiewagescale030911

habsfan1
03-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Posted this in the wrong thread, the players have decertified, now it's in the hands of judge Doty

b_illin
03-12-2011, 11:36 AM
Does it seem like BS to anyone else that it's not anti-trust when they are a Union but when they decertify it becomes anti-trust? (isn't that just as dodgey??)

FlyGuy78
03-12-2011, 02:00 PM
Does it seem like BS to anyone else that it's not anti-trust when they are a Union but when they decertify it becomes anti-trust? (isn't that just as dodgey??)

I read up on anti-trust, but could someone please put it into plain english for me?

canuckthug
03-13-2011, 04:24 AM

Once again, no chance in hell that the league wont settle...

lol... at first.

:x:sadwave::bs::bs::bs::no:

That is somewhat logical but these negotiations are rarely logical. Unfortunately, the owners have the leverage here.

The Rookie Salary was one of the flaws or things that needed to be rectified. At least they agreed on that i think. Thought things were looking up, but once again negotiations are halted... How long before negotiations re-start? I still think the popularity of the sport will take precedent here and kickoff will commence on day 1.

Completely expected and SOP to me.

SOP? (stoppage of play, soap opera??! )

Kyle
03-13-2011, 06:02 AM
Yeah, thats an odd one. I'd guess Standard Operations.

Doctego
03-13-2011, 06:46 AM
SOP=Standard Operating Procedure. The union decertifying was completely expected because, if not, they were completely fucked. It is a ploy to gain some leverage against the NFL and the owners. Otherwise, they would have had little or no legal recourse.

The Rookie Salary was one of the flaws or things that needed to be rectified. At least they agreed on that i think. Thought things were looking up, but once again negotiations are halted... How long before negotiations re-start? I still think the popularity of the sport will take precedent here and kickoff will commence on day 1.

Unfortunately, you can't use logic here. If you could, logic would say that the economy sucks but the league has never made more money. Unfortunately, there are some greedy owners that aren't happy enough. While there are some "minor" issues that also need to be resolved, the main reason why all of this happened to me is because the smaller owners aren't getting the piece of the pie that they want. Years ago, the NFL decided to share revenue evenly and the league prospered. Over time, teams like the Cowboys, etc. started branching out and making more money and they don't want to share it evenly (at least a portion of it) but the Carolinas of the world want everything shared. That's the issue. It's between the haves and the have nots. If it were up to the bigger owners and the players, I truly believe that there would be no labor stoppage.

b_illin
03-16-2011, 11:04 AM
AP states there is 'modern-day slavery' in the NFL.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/adrian-peterson-modernday-slavery-alive-in-the-nfl-475823.html

Get a fucking grip! It's the league/owners that put the system in place, etc. that allow these guys to be paid millions. If ever there was a game where scrubs could be used and the entertainment drop-off would not be huge, it's football. There are A LOT of talented football players out there that would gladly play for a smidgen of the 'slave wages' that guys like AP make.

I'm all for a fair deal, but it's the league & owners that have all the leverage, so them's the breaks!

Doctego
03-16-2011, 09:28 PM
AP states there is 'modern-day slavery' in the NFL.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/adrian-peterson-modernday-slavery-alive-in-the-nfl-475823.html

Get a fucking grip! It's the league/owners that put the system in place, etc. that allow these guys to be paid millions. If ever there was a game where scrubs could be used and the entertainment drop-off would not be huge, it's football. There are A LOT of talented football players out there that would gladly play for a smidgen of the 'slave wages' that guys like AP make.

I'm all for a fair deal, but it's the league & owners that have all the leverage, so them's the breaks!

If forced to choose a side, I would side with the owners but your statement is extremely ignorant. This isn't a situation where the owners could hire other people to make their product like normal businesses. The players are the product. You have the best players in the world. Think about this past NFL season and then think of the quality of play in the NCAA, USFL, XFL, CFL, AFL, etc. There is a reason why most of them are either defunct or extremely watchable. Do you remember the scab games of 1987 (I think)?? Unwatchable. You can take an arena player or 2 and have them make an NFL roster but you can't field an entire team with players from there. The quality of play would be embarrassing.

chgorman
03-16-2011, 09:48 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol: @ AP's comments.

I'll gladly be a 'slave' for 10 mil per yr (or whatever he makes). Hell, I'd gladly be a 'slave' for whatever the league minimum is, haha.

ih8music
03-17-2011, 03:18 PM
If forced to choose a side, I would side with the owners but your statement is extremely ignorant. This isn't a situation where the owners could hire other people to make their product like normal businesses. The players are the product. You have the best players in the world. Think about this past NFL season and then think of the quality of play in the NCAA, USFL, XFL, CFL, AFL, etc. There is a reason why most of them are either defunct or extremely watchable. Do you remember the scab games of 1987 (I think)?? Unwatchable. You can take an arena player or 2 and have them make an NFL roster but you can't field an entire team with players from there. The quality of play would be embarrassing.
Totally agree -- I remember the scab games and they were pathetic.

But I'm definitely on the player's side. They typically only have 2-3 seasons to make their money before getting hurt or replaced by a younger, faster, stronger (and cheaper) dude. The owners are sitting on a cash machine that's still bringing in incredible revenue despite tough economic times. They get sweetheart land, tax, and sometimes stadium deals from cities desperate to keep (or pull) them.

Yes, the players are "just playing a game" but that's like saying Letterman or Leno just tell jokes... very few people can do what they do.

b_illin
03-18-2011, 09:02 AM

I disagree. I was too young to remember the scab games (I was 10) but my rationale is that in football, more than any of the other major sports, the coaches play a huge role. They call every play. That doesn't happen in hockey or baseball or even basketball (although coaches do call a lot of sets...but the talent drop-off would be greatest in basketball IMO). The players run the plays that the coaches call. That can be replaced....the result won't be as pretty as with the best players in the world, but with the coaches calling the right plays, the games could still be entertaining. (I also think there are a lot more really talented players in 2011 that are not in the NFL than there were in 1987)

I'm not saying that the league/owners could produce as good a product without the star players, but I do think, as I stated, that of all the major sports, they could get away with scabs the most in football. I think the players need to choose a couple of realistic concessions and take them so they get to save some face, but they will lose this fight if they dig in.

Doctego
03-18-2011, 12:05 PM
I disagree. I was too young to remember the scab games (I was 10) but my rationale is that in football, more than any of the other major sports, the coaches play a huge role. They call every play. That doesn't happen in hockey or baseball or even basketball (although coaches do call a lot of sets...but the talent drop-off would be greatest in basketball IMO). The players run the plays that the coaches call. That can be replaced....the result won't be as pretty as with the best players in the world, but with the coaches calling the right plays, the games could still be entertaining. (I also think there are a lot more really talented players in 2011 that are not in the NFL than there were in 1987)

I'm not saying that the league/owners could produce as good a product without the star players, but I do think, as I stated, that of all the major sports, they could get away with scabs the most in football. I think the players need to choose a couple of realistic concessions and take them so they get to save some face, but they will lose this fight if they dig in.

While I agree that coaches have a tremendous impact on the game in football, it is the players that execute the plays. Football is much more intricate than the other sports. You also need to remember that playing with scabs basically removes the best 1,500+ players from the talent pool. No other sport can say that. I'm sure that there will be a few diamonds in the rough but the rest of it will be players showing us why they didn't make the league in the first place.

Spartan
03-18-2011, 12:33 PM
I'm sure you can just call a local temp agency and get a fine replacement for a guy like Calvin Johnson.:rolleyes:

suckerpuncher
03-18-2011, 01:36 PM
I'm sure you can just call a local temp agency and get a fine replacement for a guy like Calvin Johnson.:rolleyes:
Hmm... The Rams tried that with no success in the previous years so it might really not be that easy. :D:D:D

b_illin
03-18-2011, 02:36 PM
I'm pretty sure you guys already know that I realize there would be a huge talent drop-off, I just think if the games are exciting than they might be able to get away with it...namely because of the coaching, but also because there are SO many quality (perhaps not NFL quality granted given the 1500 guys in front of them) college programs out there that turn out good players these days compared to 1987 when there were a lot fewer.

My point is that owner's have the leverage IMP and the players/union should realize that...and they should avoid poking the bear suggesting they make 'slave wages'!

Doctego
03-18-2011, 03:55 PM
I'm pretty sure you guys already know that I realize there would be a huge talent drop-off, I just think if the games are exciting than they might be able to get away with it...namely because of the coaching, but also because there are SO many quality (perhaps not NFL quality granted given the 1500 guys in front of them) college programs out there that turn out good players these days compared to 1987 when there were a lot fewer.

My point is that owner's have the leverage IMP and the players/union should realize that...and they should avoid poking the bear suggesting they make 'slave wages'!

Forget about the slave wages comment. That was 1 dumb comment by 1 dumb player. This labor issue is solely the doing of the owners. They planned for it and they wanted to do it. I don't fault the players for not wanting to get fucked.

As for playing with replacement players, I really think that you are being naive here. Yes, NFL coaching influences the game immensely. Yes, there are some talented players out there. That said, we need to remember that these players will be wearing NFL uniforms. I like watching NCAA football but, come Sunday afternoon, I want to watch professionals. I don't want to watch more college-level players running around wearing NFL uniforms.

While I will agree that the quality of athlete has improved, we need to remember that this is all relative. Better athletes means better NFL players means that there is still a huge dropoff like in the past. The quality of the scab is better but they are also replacing higher quality athletes so the product will still be far inferior.

canuckthug
03-18-2011, 04:25 PM
Unfortunately, you can't use logic here. If you could, logic would say that the economy sucks but the league has never made more money. Unfortunately, there are some greedy owners that aren't happy enough. While there are some "minor" issues that also need to be resolved, the main reason why all of this happened to me is because the smaller owners aren't getting the piece of the pie that they want. Years ago, the NFL decided to share revenue evenly and the league prospered. Over time, teams like the Cowboys, etc. started branching out and making more money and they don't want to share it evenly (at least a portion of it) but the Carolinas of the world want everything shared. That's the issue. It's between the haves and the have nots. If it were up to the bigger owners and the players, I truly believe that there would be no labor stoppage.

I haven't been following the situation too close lately. Thanks for summing that up... Having said that, if the problem is revenue sharing, why is there a dispute between the NFL and the NFLPA. I thought the heart of the stoppage is between players and owners not owner to owner.

I also read rumors the NFL adopting an 18 game schedule.

b_illin
03-18-2011, 11:54 PM
^ NFLPA=nfl players association

Doctego
03-19-2011, 12:19 AM
I haven't been following the situation too close lately. Thanks for summing that up... Having said that, if the problem is revenue sharing, why is there a dispute between the NFL and the NFLPA. I thought the heart of the stoppage is between players and owners not owner to owner.

I also read rumors the NFL adopting an 18 game schedule.

The NFL has had revenue sharing that has been equal amongst all owners but new secondary and tertiary markets are taking off and will continue to do so. These 2 issues feed off of that. First, the big owners don't want to share these new revenues with the smaller owners equally when they are bringing in more of the money. That part of the fight is owner vs. owner and, to be honest, they are doing a good job of shielding the public from that. The second part involves the owners wanting to nip the players' % in the bud now rather than have to fight it later. The owners know that the media income will double or triple in the near future and they don't want the players to get too much of the pie.

That's the short of it.

habsfan1
03-19-2011, 04:01 PM
Here is the point of view from the player's side.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/03/19/players.letter.text.ap/index.html?eref=sihp

Kyle
03-20-2011, 04:49 AM
^ NFLPA=nfl players association

He knows that. Hes asking why players (NFLPA) vs owners (NFL) is the big story if the true issue is simply Owner vs Owner. And Doc clarified it nicely.

heliosj
03-21-2011, 07:35 AM
Isn't there also some truth in the fact that the players wanted a break down in negotiations so that they could finally sue the NFL regarding some of their business practices?

Doctego
03-21-2011, 07:46 AM
Isn't there also some truth in the fact that the players wanted a break down in negotiations so that they could finally sue the NFL regarding some of their business practices?

Well, I don't think that the players really wanted to do anything. They were perfectly happy, along with the big owners, of keeping everything as it was. Once the owners (collectively) decided that they were going to have to do something (ie. lock out the players, etc.), the players had no choice but to respond (ie. decertify, etc.).

Much of the legal mumbo-jumbo at this point is either to protect their legal interests or cover their asses.

boredguy
03-23-2011, 06:28 PM
Man, sucks that they're moving the kickoff spot to the 35. Really removes a weapon for some teams, and good kick returns are exciting plays.

dw13
03-23-2011, 09:04 PM
Man, sucks that they're moving the kickoff spot to the 35. Really removes a weapon for some teams, and good kick returns are exciting plays.

Myself, I think everyone is overreacting about it. 13% of kickoff's last season resulted in touchbacks, they estimate with this rule it'll be between 30-35%. That's still a solid amount and it will still cherish dangerous return men especially since the defenders don't get as much of a running start.

We've seen some horrific injuries as a result of blocking on these kickoffs, if they think it'll cut down on those, I don't see it as a huge deal. We'll still see some electric returns.

FlyGuy78
03-24-2011, 11:51 AM
Myself, I think everyone is overreacting about it. 13% of kickoff's last season resulted in touchbacks, they estimate with this rule it'll be between 30-35%. That's still a solid amount and it will still cherish dangerous return men especially since the defenders don't get as much of a running start.

We've seen some horrific injuries as a result of blocking on these kickoffs, if they think it'll cut down on those, I don't see it as a huge deal. We'll still see some electric returns.

I still think that the "burners" will take it out 5-7 yards deep in the endzone just to shove it up the NFL's ass! haha :lol:

boredguy
03-24-2011, 05:30 PM

This does nothing to stop that aside from just having less kickoffs run back. If they think kickoffs are dangerous either fix it so they aren't as dangerous or eliminate them.

dw13
03-24-2011, 06:33 PM
This does nothing to stop that aside from just having less kickoffs run back. If they think kickoffs are dangerous either fix it so they aren't as dangerous or eliminate them.

People are bitching about a 5 yard change, imagine if they eliminated them? They did as much 'fixing' as they could do. Making the players not be able to get a head start by more then 5 yards definitely helps, and the more touchbacks the less chance.

That's my 2 cents.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-31-2011, 04:53 PM
Looks like Chad Pennington tore an ACL playing pickup BB. This guy is the epitome of glass man. You kind of got to feel for him.

Snipes16
04-25-2011, 08:50 PM
Anyone catch Cam Newton's sitdown with Gruden on ESPN?

Gruden rattles off a random play call something like... Z shallow cross 54 waggle, blue trips right, Mike on 3. Then asks Cam to rattle off a random play they run at Auburn similar to his example and the poor prick couldn't come up with anything.

He said they kept it very simplistic at Auburn and he would just look to the sidelines and they'd hold up the #36 and he'd just run that play or whatever the number was. I couldn't believe my ears...so much for coaching him up prior to meeting Chucky, eh?

If thats true and he's that far behind on calling plays, protections, blocking schemes and mastering the french language as Gruden calls the playbook, then somebody could be spending a top 5 pick on a future WR... he wont last long at QB if they have to dummy everything down for him. NFL defenses are just too good these days to get away with that.

Not suggestingl that black QB's are less intelligent than white one's because Ryan Mallett surely sounds dumber than a brick. I'm just saying Newton didn't sound all that bright when he couldn't come up with one single play they ran at Auburn that had any verbage attatched to it.

Spartan
04-27-2011, 02:22 PM
Yeah I saw that. You also have to chuckle when NFL Network's draft promotion describes him by saying "he can add pages to your playbook". Too funny. I'm just so confused on how draft analysts love everything about Cam Newton but hated Tim Tebow for the same things last year.

Doctego
04-27-2011, 02:47 PM
I am very interested in seeing the ruling that comes down later today or tomorrow. Logically, I can't see how the owners can win this but court decisions are often illogical.

ih8music
08-09-2011, 03:13 PM
Looks like LA might finally be getting it's act together to woo an NFL team back here.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nfl/story/_/id/6847826/la-council-passes-framework-deal-nfl-venue

Still pending an environmental impact report... but hell, it's downtown LA -- not much of an environment left to impact. ;)

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
08-21-2011, 11:04 PM
Two ppl were shot outside Candlestick following the Raiders/49ers game the other night and I guess a 3rd victim was beaten unconscious in candlestick bathroom. This violence erupting only 5 or 6 months after Bryan Stow was beaten following a Giants/Dodgers game. Stay classy California.. :nono:

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
10-24-2011, 12:14 AM
62-7

seriously ?

I know there is no Mr. Manning at center but 0-6 and lackluster effort on defense. is it just me or are the Colts tanking on purpose ?

Dubz
10-24-2011, 12:42 AM
I have always refused to believe that tanking is possible....and probably always will. I could say they (or others) protect the futeure a little more than they should by playing certain personell but thats not a reason to call shennanigans imo. I also think the Saints could have put up more points but to be honest i switched to Baseball:$ and anybody that knows me would lol cuz i really dont like the bb sports. Would rather watch tennis or wwe :lol:

You dont "give up" when your a pro athlete. Whether your a 4th string once in a lfetime call up or a seasoned vet. You NEVER try to lose. Thats just my opinion:beer:

Doctego
10-24-2011, 06:53 AM
62-7

seriously ?

I know there is no Mr. Manning at center but 0-6 and lackluster effort on defense. is it just me or are the Colts tanking on purpose ?

Later in the year possibly. It would also make more sense if they had a need at QB. The could start over with Luck but it's not like they have been strapped at the position for years.

two24four
10-24-2011, 09:54 AM
It was funny that the game was not even over yet and Luck was trending on twitter :lol:

b_illin
10-24-2011, 10:19 AM
If I ran IND, I'd be very interested in drafting Luck. Let Peyton tutor him for a year or so and groom him to take over. Peyton's getting up there in the years...

FlyGuy78
10-24-2011, 10:23 AM
If I ran IND, I'd be very interested in drafting Luck. Let Peyton tutor him for a year or so and groom him to take over. Peyton's getting up there in the years...

I've heard that Peyton wants to play for another 3-4 years and that if IND were to get the #1 pick that he may tell IND to draft someone that may help them immediately so they can win now and take it as an insult if they draft Luck.

I personally think they should draft Luck regardless and do what the Packers did with Rodgers. Let him sit until Peyton is done and mentor him. Worked out for the Packers.

two24four
10-24-2011, 10:24 AM
They said during the game last night that it's not even 100% Manning will be ready for next season, if they land the top pick they should be taking Luck with out a doubt.

habsfan1
10-24-2011, 12:26 PM
Whoever gets Luck is set at Qb for the next 12 years, if I'm #1 overall and do not have a solid qb in place for the long long term portion of the franchise (6-7 years +) I would be taking him. If not there are teams, and rightfully so, that will pay a king's ransom for him.

Doctego
10-24-2011, 01:16 PM
I've heard that Peyton wants to play for another 3-4 years and that if IND were to get the #1 pick that he may tell IND to draft someone that may help them immediately so they can win now and take it as an insult if they draft Luck.

I personally think they should draft Luck regardless and do what the Packers did with Rodgers. Let him sit until Peyton is done and mentor him. Worked out for the Packers.

Favre didn't mentor shit. Rodgers is doing well because he is a great talent. I'm sure that being able to sit back and observe helped him out but I don't think that it had anything to do with Favre.

b_illin
10-24-2011, 01:28 PM
Favre didn't mentor shit. Rodgers is doing well because he is a great talent. I'm sure that being able to sit back and observe helped him out but I don't think that it had anything to do with Favre.

Ok, so imagine what a talented kid like Luck could learn being mentored by someone like Peyton Manning who probably would help him out greatly.

Kyle
10-24-2011, 01:41 PM
Favre isn't exactly a QB you learn anything from by watching, anyway.

FlyGuy78
10-24-2011, 02:02 PM

Sorry Doc, I didn't mean to imply that Favre mentored Rodgers, cause we all know he didn't, I meant that he should be drafted by IND and sit the bench for a few years like Rodgers did and learn as much as possible, whether it be from your starting QB, OC, HC, other teammates, learning the playbook instead of being thrown to the wolves like most rookie QB's are today.

Doctego
10-24-2011, 03:58 PM
Sorry Doc, I didn't mean to imply that Favre mentored Rodgers, cause we all know he didn't, I meant that he should be drafted by IND and sit the bench for a few years like Rodgers did and learn as much as possible, whether it be from your starting QB, OC, HC, other teammates, learning the playbook instead of being thrown to the wolves like most rookie QB's are today.

Ideally, that would be great for him to be able to do. Unfortunately, I doubt that Manning would sit quietly under those circumstances.

b_illin
10-24-2011, 04:08 PM
Ideally, that would be great for him to be able to do. Unfortunately, I doubt that Manning would sit quietly under those circumstances.

Why not? He's 35 and has always been a team player. From what Fly and others have suggested, Luck wouldn't be in a position to start until the 2013 season earliest and more likely the 2014 season when Manning will be 38.

I don't see Manning having the ego that would prevent a smooth transition. (and I would think he's also the type that would relish the chance to help the only franchise he's ever played for continue as a winner...another lasting memory for their/his fans)

Doctego
10-24-2011, 04:38 PM
Why not? He's 35 and has always been a team player. From what Fly and others have suggested, Luck wouldn't be in a position to start until the 2013 season earliest and more likely the 2014 season when Manning will be 38.

I don't see Manning having the ego that would prevent a smooth transition. (and I would think he's also the type that would relish the chance to help the only franchise he's ever played for continue as a winner...another lasting memory for their/his fans)

Who knows? While Manning seems to have always been a team player, there have been some rumors floating around that he wouldn't be interested in doing that. Makes sense since star players like to leave on their own terms. I believe that he wants to play at least 3-4 more years. Good luck keeping Luck on the bench that long.

I don't know who said that Luck wouldn't be able to start until 2013 or 2014. I'm not in that camp. Sure, it would be great for his development but, when you invest that money in someone with that skill set, I don't know that you want to wait multiple years for him.

FlyGuy78
10-24-2011, 06:15 PM
The only thing I've heard that would stop Luck from going to IND if they ended up with the #1 overall pick is if Manning asks the team to pick someone else that could help them win in the immediate future or if they trade the pick for multiple players to a team that needs it more than they do like MIA or SEA. I would take him regardless since a lot of people are comparing him to Elway, which isn't a bad guy to be compared too.

Snipes16
10-24-2011, 06:23 PM
If Indy ends up with that #1 pick then Luck just stays at Stanford for his senior year or forces a trade from Indy...he aint waiting 2-3 years backing up Peyton, thats laughable

suckerpuncher
10-24-2011, 06:28 PM
Already getting sick and tired of Luck when I read that he's willing to pull off an Eli and hand-picking which team he wants to play for. That's just wrong.

habsfan1
10-24-2011, 07:10 PM
Already getting sick and tired of Luck when I read that he's willing to pull off an Eli and hand-picking which team he wants to play for. That's just wrong.

From what I've read it just seems like talk now, hopefully he doesn't pull something like that. It's wrong for any professional athlete to do that; unless you're drafted by the Maple Leafs, but only in that case ;)

Doctego
10-24-2011, 08:53 PM

Where did you see that? If true, it's kind of douchy but I can only imagine what it's like to be under the spotlight like he has been. This is much worse than anything that any of those other QB's went through.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
10-24-2011, 11:06 PM
well done Jacksonville!

suckerpuncher
10-25-2011, 02:32 AM
Where did you see that? If true, it's kind of douchy but I can only imagine what it's like to be under the spotlight like he has been. This is much worse than anything that any of those other QB's went through.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/19/some-fear-luck-could-make-a-power-play/

I know it's only PFT as source but still.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
11-07-2011, 05:22 PM
It's so early but as of right now the Bengals, Steelers & Ravens are all in the post season. How crazy would that be. Toughest division in football ?

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
11-14-2011, 08:45 PM
Really love watching the Pack play. Damn they are good. Makes seeing Pitt lose in the SB last year not sting so much, knowing the Steelers got beat by one damn fine football team. It's amazing how many offensive weapons Rodgers and this team has.

two24four
11-14-2011, 11:11 PM
Congrats to Aaron Rodgers on winning the MVP.

chgorman
11-16-2011, 10:02 AM
It's so early but as of right now the Bengals, Steelers & Ravens are all in the post season. How crazy would that be. Toughest division in football ?

NFC North night take that title right now. Pack, Lions and Bears all in the playoffs right now, with the Packers clearly being the best team in the league, which IMO tips the scales in the NFC North's favor.

But as you say, still too early to be making any definitive statements. Lions haven't even played GB yet.

b_illin
11-16-2011, 10:06 AM
NFC North night take that title right now. Pack, Lions and Bears all in the playoffs right now, with the Packers clearly being the best team in the league, which IMO tips the scales in the NFC North's favor.

But as you say, still too early to be making any definitive statements. Lions haven't even played GB yet.

I disagree. NFC North is good, but Bears/Lions are not on the same level as the Bengals/Ravens in my eyes. The Packers are clearly the best team in both divisions though.

Kyle
11-16-2011, 03:42 PM
Disagreed. The Lions are the worst of the six but the Bears are clearly a notch above Bengals/Ravens and on par with the Steelers. The Packers are miles beyond the whole bunch. I also think the Vikings are a better team than the Browns. NFC north easily.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
11-16-2011, 05:57 PM
so we are at least able to agree that that NFC North and AFC North are toughest divisions in their respective conferences. How awesome would it be to see a Pack/Steelers SB repeat? (biased, sorry!)

# 7 # 1 in toughness, at least among QB of the league ? Not sure anyone can argue that.

A broken thumb on his throwing hand would stop a lot of quarterbacks.

Not this guy.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11320/1190138-87.stm

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
11-21-2011, 12:28 AM
So Cutler broke the thumb on his throwing hand tonight and they are saying he will likely miss the rest of the season bc of it.

Big Ben broke the thumb on his throwing hand and he can't wait to get back out there... Prb won't miss a minute.

I know Ben is about as tough as they make them but man Jay Cutler sure is soft!

Doctego
11-21-2011, 06:55 AM
So Cutler broke the thumb on his throwing hand tonight and they are saying he will likely miss the rest of the season bc of it.

Big Ben broke the thumb on his throwing hand and he can't wait to get back out there... Prb won't miss a minute.

I know Ben is about as tough as they make them but man Jay Cutler sure is soft!

Exact same injury?