PDA

View Full Version : Late Nite talk Show thread

canuckthug
11-07-2010, 05:12 PM
Anything Letterman, Leno, O'Brien, Kimmel, Fallon and Ferguson goes here. Even if its awsome! Sorry Jeff, no Ellen. Post interviews, quotes, past guests and upcoming guests/ music artists who you think are post-worthy.

I know a thread on Conan was made regarding his departure from NBC and relocation to TBS but i dont think a late nite thread exists.. could be wrong but i havent seen one in my time here. If there is, dont be an Asshole and resurrect it (because its obviously dead).

Having said that, Conan O'Brien on TBS finally makes its debut Monday. Can't wait to see the set and how the show is. Not even sure what city its in?? Find out soon enough. I know MAx Weinberg is done so i assume the funny looking Labombaa guy is the new band leader.. hilarious. i think andy richter is still around.

How do you rank the hosts? I recall people hating on Leno (hes not funny) compared to Letterman and Conan but im not picky. Any show on any given nite can be funny/awsome/hilarious. Leno on Mondays is awsome because he does Headlines. To me, its all about the guests... I judge a show by the guests and choose to watch on that merit. I was between a rock and a hard place last week when I decided to watch Letterman because they had Dana Carvey. Hes fucking hilarious and i always choose Comics over regular actors.. But out of curiosity, i had to see who was on Leno. What if it was Chris Rock or Bill Mahr??! I would have to make a decision... It was none other than Robin Williams.. FUCK! Robin Williams vs Dana Carvey!!! shit thats crazy talk.
PVR was in full use.. cant miss any of this... I was smoking weed in my house, chillin, and went with Dana Carvey Live and recorded Leno.. Dana Carvey started talking about switching to Leno because they had Robin on the program!! WTF!?! seriously WTF? thats awsome... Weed only made that part more crazy..

CBS vs NBC vs ABC and now TBS. should be good. Does Conan go head-to-head with Leno/Letterman??

EDIT: if a Mod can move this to the Entertainment section.. that would be cool, thanks. My bad.

two24four
11-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Right now I rank them like this IMO.

Kimmel
Letterman
Fallon
O'Brien
Ferguson
Leno

I'm also looking forward to O'Brien's 1st show tomorrow night on TBS, should be good, he could move up to 2nd very soon for me. I just love Kimmel's show, he's funny as hell.

I will watch any show if there is a guest on I like and want too see, but other then that I watch the show's I like better.

Tomorrow night Letterman has Harrison Ford on, Leno has Schwarzenegger, Kimmel has Neil Diamond,
Ferguson has Tom Selleck, Fallon has Scarlett Johansson, Conan is going to have Seth Rogan as his 1st guest.

Scarlett Johansson is also going to be hosting SNL this Saturday.

Doctego
11-07-2010, 07:21 PM
I think that Leno and Letterman are both annoying but the difference is that Leno is at least occasionally funny.

heliosj
11-07-2010, 07:26 PM
They all have their moments. It seems that any more, the really funny stuff makes its way to morning talk show shows, YouTube, or on their respective websites. So I can't say I watch any of them much anymore.. and besides, who can stay up until 11pm? Aren't you people old and cranky yet with shit to do in the mornings? ;)

two24four
11-07-2010, 07:30 PM
I think that Leno and Letterman are both annoying but the difference is that Leno is at least occasionally funny.

See I'm the the other way around.

boredguy
11-08-2010, 12:55 AM
See I'm the the other way around.

But you have Fallon over Conan so your opinion obviously means shit :p

For me it's:

Stewart
Conan
Kimmel

Colbert
Ferguson

Letterman

Fuck the rest.

ih8music
11-08-2010, 09:02 AM

For me it's:

Stewart
Conan
Kimmel

Colbert
Ferguson

Letterman

Fuck the rest.

Same here (especially 'fuck the rest'), except I'd flip Kimmel and Ferguson.

Although, I'm like Jeff in that I usually just watch the morning recaps. Stewart is the only one I try to catch every night.

canuckthug
11-09-2010, 04:16 AM

For me it's:

Stewart
Conan
Kimmel

Colbert
Ferguson

Letterman

Fuck the rest.

IMight as well mention Larry King Live and the Hour (on CBC). Those shows have worthy guests more often than naught. Also forgot Stewart and Colbert. Good call. They go on only 30 minutes which might be their advantage. Funny, political, relevant, and to the point. Jon Stewart was a stand-up before... Steven Colbert i never heard of, never seen him before his show.. and i think Colbert > Stewart most nights. Colbert's final guest is always an author who just wrote some new book. I like that. I think one episode he had Richard Dawkins who wrote the God Delusion. Colbert is a Funny interviewer, he always introduces himself before the guest (so stupid:)) and asks/ does the craziest stuff..

I watched the opening of Conan. It was alright. Hes a little rusty id say.. first show. I think hes on during the last half-hour of Leno/Letterman and first half hour of Fallon/Ferguson. Once Conan gets into the swing of things it will be better. Some pretty good one liner jokes, i just cant remember any right now... mostly insults to NBC.

heliosj
11-09-2010, 04:22 AM
Conan's new show was.. not worthy of the promotional hype. It was funny, but nothing I'm going to rush to the TV for every night at 11pm. I'll still go with Stewart over Conan.

CayugaPosse
11-09-2010, 05:12 AM
Conan's new show was.. not worthy of the promotional hype. It was funny, but nothing I'm going to rush to the TV for every night at 11pm. I'll still go with Stewart over Conan.

I'm not sure if I'm becoming overly critical of TV because I'm working around it now, but the thing that stuck out to me, the show was relatively good in terms of writing(the cold open was outstanding I thought), but the actual production value was terrible. The camera work and direction were absolutely abysmal, there were so many things that went wrong on the production end during that show....I know it's cable, but still, come on. I could do better than that on any one of the jobs I just named(direction or camera) tomorrow if he wants.

heliosj
11-09-2010, 05:24 AM
I'm not savvy enough to recognize that sort of stuff, I guess. I was more interested in the content.. which was acceptable, but certainly not above par.

phaneuf6
11-09-2010, 10:01 AM
IMight as well mention Larry King Live and the Hour (on CBC).

The Hour is done. It's now called George Stroumboulopoulos and is only a half hour segment. Strombo does a great job interviewing though and always has great guests.

Chilly_Willy
11-09-2010, 10:42 AM
I like Geroge Snuffulufogus. His interviews are entertaining and he usually has some very interesting guests. I have never got into late night TV except for one time when I worked midnights. If I flip channels I watch it for 5 minutes but then find myself moving on. I think Letterman is getting a little too old to be funny. Don't mean to be age-ist

two24four
11-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Conan was not as good as I thought it would be last night that's for sure, hope it get's better.

Hamsterkill
11-09-2010, 01:47 PM
Ferguson is honestly my favorite after Jon Stewart (if we are including Stewart here). I like Letterman more than Leno though. Always have.

pjm
11-09-2010, 03:49 PM
Yeah George Stombolopolopoopolous is actually pretty solid. He does an excellent job with interviews.

As for Conan... it was a good show. I'll watch Conan over everyone except Stewart and it would be a tough decision with Ferguson. I never watch late night shows though

ih8music
11-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Conan O'Brien's return to television demolished his late night competition in the ratings.

The premiere of "Conan" on TBS drew 4.2 million viewers, with a whopping 3.3 million of them in the coveted 18-49 demographic.

By contrast, 3.5 million viewers tuned into Jay Leno's "Tonight Show," with 950,000 in the 18-49 demo, and David Letterman's "Late Show" drew 3.4 million viewers, with 1.4 million in the demo.

Of course, the ratings for O'Brien will likely drop in the coming weeks, but he and TBS can still cheer about the figures for his debut.good for Conan

I thought the opening clip was fantastic, the monologue was a nervous mess, but the rest was fine. I'll DVR him and watch after The Daily Show (that is, on nights I don't crash first).

HABS_FrEaK
11-09-2010, 04:42 PM
I really liked it, Conan has always been my favorite. He did seem kind of nervous/rusty but the jokes were great. Also I usually love Seth Rogen but he kind of got on my nerves, I think he needs to gain that weight back :lol:

heliosj
11-12-2010, 09:23 AM
Al Roker Syndrome. Fat people with jovial personalities never seem quite the same when they lose a lot of weight. :)

Having Conan back is still a novelty. I've always enjoyed his show and I've laughed quite a bit this week.. he's considerably better than Leno and Letterman, but I'm not sure that's enough to to pull me away from Stewart & Colbert on a regular basis. Of course, this is why god invented the DVR.

HABS_FrEaK
11-12-2010, 02:01 PM
hmm maybe I should stop losing weight, I enjoy being funny :lol:

Kyle
11-12-2010, 03:30 PM
hmm maybe I should stop losing weight, I enjoy being funny :lol:

You'll enjoy getting laid a lot more.

;) Just messing.

HABS_FrEaK
11-12-2010, 07:47 PM
:lol: nice

two24four
11-13-2010, 12:01 PM
Tracy Morgan was on Fallon last night, I love when he's on late night shows, he's funny as hell.

HABS_FrEaK
11-17-2010, 08:36 PM
Harrison Ford is awesome :lol:

canuckthug
11-18-2010, 05:36 PM
^ if your talkin about Harrison Ford on Conan.. yeah, funny stuff. Conan is back. it took him a few days but its like he never went off the air...

George W. Bush is finally set to make an appearance on the Late NIte scene. I didn't think this day would ever happen but Tonight on Jay Leno, Dubbya will be on. Over the past 10 years, Bush has been Leno's (and every other late nite hosts) go-to guy for comedic material. Leno insults Bush so regularly he even has a "look-a-like" Bush on the show. I hope Leno asks some tough questions, like "why do you think you have the Worst presidential rating ever??" Obviously it will be a relaxed environment and there will be jokes but if Leno "gives in/kisses ass" and doesn't insult him in some way or ridicule his presidency, i'll be pissed. I know Bush has a new book out, called Decision Points so im sure they will talk about that...

On the flip side, Letterman has Jim Carey. Im not sure what Carey's promoting (new movie??) but Letterman is gonna get killed in the ratings regardless. Still, pretty good lineup for tonight.

I was watching OTR (off the record with Michael Landsberg) last week, and he had Mick Foley on the show. His best shows are with wrestlers IMO. Anyways check out the Next Question segment, it relates to this thread. The relevant questions start at 7:22. Nooo, Kimmel isnt better than Conan!!! Having said that, Mankind was on Jon Stewart promoting his new book (forgot the name) but Foley is a smart individual. He writes his own books (no ghost writing) and his stuff is well written and Foley is quite the philanthropist, good for him!

YouTube - OTR Mick Foley - (2/2)

http://www.worldwrestlinginsanity.com/am2/uploads/1/foleymo8_1.jpg

ih8music
11-18-2010, 05:57 PM
Yes, Leno like all comics has made fun of Bush in the past... but he's by far the most red-state-friendly late night host. If he asks Bush a single tough question I'll be shocked. I think the farthest he goes will be the layup "If you knew then what we know now, would you have done anything differently?"

What would be fascinating is if Bush ever went on Letterman, because I'm sure the pressure for him to lay into the former President would be immense... and I think he'd give it a try.

two24four
11-19-2010, 12:53 AM
Bush was not bad on Leno, made fun of himself alot, which was pretty funny, Leno really did not get into any of the tough stuff, but I did not think he would, not in him.

Leno was more into showing him videos of himself (Bush) doing funny/stupid things while in office.

canuckthug
11-20-2010, 04:23 AM
Yes, Leno like all comics has made fun of Bush in the past... but he's by far the most red-state-friendly late night host. If he asks Bush a single tough question I'll be shocked. I think the farthest he goes will be the layup "If you knew then what we know now, would you have done anything differently?"

What would be fascinating is if Bush ever went on Letterman, because I'm sure the pressure for him to lay into the former President would be immense... and I think he'd give it a try.

Watched some Letterman tonight and he mentioned and pleaded for Bush to come on his show. I dont think it will happen but BUsh is scheduled to be on LKL next week and that is must see TV. I watched W. Bush on Leno and it was better than anticipated but Larry King will be more direct/ personal because his show is 1 hour exclusive and he asks better questions. I actually caught LKL today, he had the guy (British Dude- Russel Brand-) who recently married Katie Perry and it was good tv . The guy is crazy, a real character, (did all kinds of Drugs) went to rehab the whole 9 and then falls in Love with Katie Perry. How does that happen?!? Pretty typical Hollywood love story it seems on the surface but there was more depth to the interview. Goofy entertainment. Russel Brand is well versed in the english language and its not just his accent. If anyone saw it, they would agree it was entertaining tv. Hes got a book out. Everyone's got a book! I watch LKL once in awhile but make sure to watch his show often now. I think Larry King is officially off the air in December., for good..

Bush was not bad on Leno, made fun of himself alot, which was pretty funny, Leno really did not get into any of the tough stuff, but I did not think he would, not in him.

Leno was more into showing him videos of himself (Bush) doing funny/stupid things while in office.

I thought it was entertaining and Leno did a good job for the most part. Definition of a man without an exit strategy was a good clip. I didn't think Leno was gonna scold the man but I liked how he asked questions about the 9/11 tragedy and why he couldnt catch Osama. Overall it was pretty candid.

two24four
11-20-2010, 05:31 PM
Next Wednesday Fallon has both TO and Ochocinco on, then Friday Leno has San Francisco Giants closer Brian Wilson on, he's always a good interview, it's a re-run with Wilson but I missed it the 1st time.

canuckthug
12-13-2010, 08:54 PM
nice. Conan is on Larry King Live tonight..Can't wait. Conan is fucking awsome and i respect his intellect!? Yes his intellet, apparently he graduated from Harvard. I cant picture that clown going to Harvard but I know he was one of the original writers on the Simpson's and many say, when O'brien left, the show became less funny.

two24four
12-15-2010, 01:41 PM
Tomorrow night is Larry King's last show.

two24four
02-03-2012, 10:56 PM
Jimmy Fallon's show has been unreal from Indy this week, tonight he has Shaq and Snoop Dog on.