PDA

View Full Version : The Walking Dead

HABS_FrEaK
10-22-2010, 12:34 AM
I don't know if we have any fans of this awesome comic on here, I don't usually read comics but this one is amazing. A must read for any zombie fan.

Anyways they are coming out with a tv series and the pilot has leaked online and you can find it here

http://divxme.com/u21x68oynetp.html

This series could really become something amazing!

Zangetsu
10-22-2010, 03:56 PM
I didn't realize that this series was going to be based on a comic, but I had seen the previews during Rubicon and Madmen, and I am definitely planning on tuning in.

eff1ngham
11-01-2010, 11:16 AM
I was a little disappointed by the first episode. For a 90-minute series premier, nothing much happened. It was very well done, no doubt about the production quality, but it didn't have much to draw you in. The opening was great, and the last 10 minutes were cool, but I was expecting more from the rest of it

Zangetsu
11-01-2010, 12:27 PM
The first episode reminded me a lot of I Am Legend (the book, not the movie), particularly the scenes with Rick, Duane, and Duane's father. I thought the directors were a little heavy handed with the compassionate killing scenes, but that was really my only gripe with the premiere.

I would suspect you're not alone, eff, in thinking that there could have been more action. Most people who tune in to watch a show about zombies aren't going to be concerned with the moral implications of a husband not killing his wife, even though he knows she'll wind up a zombie otherwise.

Either way, I think this show has real potential. AMC is quickly catching up to HBO as the home of the best series on TV.

pjm
11-01-2010, 12:39 PM
I think AMC has already surpassed HBO. Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Rubicon... all awesome shows. HBO right now has... Entourage, How to Make it in America, Boardwalk Empire... all good shows but not on the same level as AMC. Oh, and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Anyways I enjoyed the premiere. Looking forward to the next episode.

b_illin
11-05-2010, 09:58 AM
I was a little disappointed by the first episode. For a 90-minute series premier, nothing much happened. It was very well done, no doubt about the production quality, but it didn't have much to draw you in. The opening was great, and the last 10 minutes were cool, but I was expecting more from the rest of it

They had to set up the storyline I suppose. While it wasn't like watching 28 Days Later or Dawn of the Dead, my hands were clammy the whole time. I like zombie movies, etc. but I always worry that my blood pressure spikes like mad when I watch them!

All in, I enjoyed the first episode. (my only gripe is I have to watch it in standard def...no HD AMC up here :mad:)

I think AMC has already surpassed HBO. Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Rubicon... all awesome shows. HBO right now has... Entourage, How to Make it in America, Boardwalk Empire... all good shows but not on the same level as AMC. Oh, and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Anyways I enjoyed the premiere. Looking forward to the next episode.

Is Rubicon any good? I watched the first episode and found it kinda boring.

Zangetsu
11-05-2010, 10:08 AM
Is Rubicon any good? I watched the first episode and found it kinda boring.The concept has been enough to keep me interested, but the writing and acting aren't up to par with some of AMC's other great shows.

b_illin
11-05-2010, 10:32 AM
The concept has been enough to keep me interested, but the writing and acting aren't up to par with some of AMC's other great shows.

The lead guy that was in The Pacific annoys me...maybe that's why I didn't keep watching.

ih8music
11-05-2010, 10:58 AM
Funny to see you guys mention Rubicon -- I remember being intrigued by the pilot that aired after the Breaking Bad finale, but never followed up with actually watching the series this fall. Supposedly season 1 just finished? That's another show I've been considering trying to catch up with...

pjm
11-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Zang is right, it's not on the same level as Breaking Bad or Mad Man but that doesn't mean its bad. I really enjoyed the first season of Rubicon.

Zangetsu
11-05-2010, 03:58 PM
^^^Yeah, if the writing improves, Rubicon will be right up there with the others. The premise of the show is very complicated (but also very intriguing), and I think the writers just tried to cram too much into the first season. Now that they've established the foundation, I hope they'll be more patient with season two.

pjm
11-08-2010, 02:00 AM
Second episode was decent but I hate that these zombies can use tools (the rock to break the glass). Isn't that against the code of zombie movies or something?

HABS_FrEaK
11-08-2010, 03:34 AM
There is no code for Zombie movies. Every movie or series has there on version of zombies, since they are fictional you can basically do what you want with them.

I liked the episode but they have already changed a lot in favor of more action. In the comic he meets up with Glenn in the city and they manage to run away on there on. They are going pretty slow with this. The comic is at about 80 issues if im not mistaken and after 2 and a half hours they aren't as far story wise as the end of the 2nd issue. I think the whole covering themselves with zombie blood actually happened in the comic but much further in the story, not sure though.

eff1ngham
11-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Second episode was decent but I hate that these zombies can use tools (the rock to break the glass). Isn't that against the code of zombie movies or something?

If you want to get technical, I believe it's the zombies that were recently turned that have more muscle memory and can do more things like climbing over a fence, or trying to climb up a ladder. The longer they're dead, the more they turn into the shuffling, mindless, walking corpses. But those that were recently infected are able to do slightly more physically.

[/zombie analysis]

I liked the second episode, lots more action but still not much in the way of character development. Not that I expect it to be a drama, but it's tough to care about what happens to any of the characters. Still though, looking forward to the next one.

One thing that bugged me, when they're chopping up the zombie, or even running around with axes, aren't they supposed to be worried about getting blood on themselves? I though even the smallest drop of blood could infect you according to basically every other zombie movie. Seems like they should have wrote it to make them all more careful about things like that

Hamsterkill
11-08-2010, 12:46 PM
One thing that bugged me, when they're chopping up the zombie, or even running around with axes, aren't they supposed to be worried about getting blood on themselves? I though even the smallest drop of blood could infect you according to basically every other zombie movie. Seems like they should have wrote it to make them all more careful about things like that
As was mentioned, zombie rules can vary quite abit between sources. However, this is one thing that I honestly have hardly ever seen in a zombie movie. I think only the 28 Days/Weeks movies have done this recently. Most zombie rules that I'm aware of require a bite to be infected.

pjm
11-08-2010, 01:23 PM
If you want to get technical, I believe it's the zombies that were recently turned that have more muscle memory and can do more things like climbing over a fence, or trying to climb up a ladder. The longer they're dead, the more they turn into the shuffling, mindless, walking corpses. But those that were recently infected are able to do slightly more physically.

[/zombie analysis]

Fair enough. And yeah, the parts where the zombies tried climbing the ladder and the chain-link fence also annoyed me but not to the extent the rock did. The muscle memory business would explain the ladder and the fence but not really the rock. Whatever i'll let it slide.

phaneuf6
11-08-2010, 06:49 PM
Not a huge fan. Just watched the first two episodes. Not much happens for a relatively long show, IMO.

b_illin
11-09-2010, 10:30 AM
I think the rock in hand was more to give a more plausible excuse for them breaking the glass...certainly not well thought out by the director, etc! (I also think Walking Dead's budget is not terribly high so there will be 'holes' in the finished product)

eff1ngham
11-09-2010, 10:47 AM
The muscle memory business would explain the ladder and the fence but not really the rock.

I think it would. It's just memory of being able to manipulate objects and tools. Like how you'd know to grip a fence or ladder to try and climb it, they'd know to pick up an object and use it to smash against the window rather than just their hands. It's not like the zombie was throwing the rock against the window or anything like that. It's just that fleeting remainder of muscle memory, like how they'd know to climb on top of the tank when Rick was in it, or how they'd be able to get into the blocked off alley or the sewer. At least that's my take on it

pjm
11-13-2010, 01:09 PM
AMC cancelled Rubicon :(

Zangetsu
11-13-2010, 02:22 PM
That's too bad. The premise of the show was great.

fancy19
11-14-2010, 09:58 AM
I just watched the trailer, this looks good, downloading the first 2 episodes now

canuckthug
11-14-2010, 06:59 PM
I caught 30 mins of this show yesterday.. Im guessing it was episode 2. Good show from what i watched.. When it started to rain, they could have taken cover!? :dunno: but obviously its only a TV show... Whats gonna happen to the guy on the roof?

fancy19
11-14-2010, 10:04 PM
oooo I just watched the first two episodes and like this...what night does it air?

canuckthug
11-14-2010, 10:08 PM
oooo I just watched the first two episodes and like this...what night does it air?

Its on right now on AMC. I believe every Sunday is a new episode. The episode is called, "Tell it to the Frogs."

HABS_FrEaK
11-15-2010, 01:31 AM
Really liked the 3rd episode. Lori is kind of getting on my nerves, wasn't a big fan of that actress in Prison break either. Dale, Glenn and Andrea are well done. Love all three in the comic so I'm glad they seem to have them right.

Zangetsu
11-15-2010, 11:28 AM
Dale is great. He's easily my favorite character so far.

It sucks that they're only airing six episodes for the first season. Anybody know if/when season two is supposed to start?

Hamsterkill
11-15-2010, 12:14 PM
On August 31, 2010, Darabont reported that The Walking Dead had been picked up for a second season, with production to begin in February 2011. On November 8, 2010, AMC confirmed that there would be a second season consisting of 13 episodes.[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Walking_Dead_%28TV_series%29#cite_note-Season_2-2) Darabont, who wrote and directed the pilot, spoke of his plans to introduce fan favorite Michonne early on in the second season's run. He would also like to include some of the "environmental elements" that take place during Volume 2 of Kirkman's book.[16] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Walking_Dead_%28TV_series%29#cite_note-15)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Walking_Dead_%28TV_series%29

If production starts in February, it'll probably air in Fall 2011.

pjm
11-15-2010, 12:28 PM
I'm still not convinced this show is better than Rubicon...

There is just something that other AMC shows have that this one doesn't. I don't know what it is, but it's missing something.

Doesn't mean the show is bad or anything - i'll keep watching. Maybe i'm still sour they cancelled Rubicon.

eff1ngham
11-16-2010, 11:04 AM
It sucks that they're only airing six episodes for the first season. Anybody know if/when season two is supposed to start?

Yeah, it's tough to build a good following with such a short series. Though it's worked before. It certainly looks like the next episode is going to be a good one though

b_illin
11-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Only 6 episodes?? Shit. I already want more and I'm only 3 episodes in. I may need to buy the comic.

szuturon
11-17-2010, 08:42 PM
Only 6 episodes?? Shit. I already want more and I'm only 3 episodes in. I may need to buy the comic.

Yea I think I might wanna go read the comic... (notice I said read...) :rolleyes:

szuturon
11-19-2010, 01:44 AM
So.... is the comic supposed to be in color? or black and white?

HABS_FrEaK
11-19-2010, 01:49 AM
Black and white

szuturon
11-19-2010, 02:01 AM
Ok.

fancy19
12-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Does anyone know if last nights was the season finale? (ie only 6 episodes this year)

Hamsterkill
12-06-2010, 02:10 PM
Does anyone know if last nights was the season finale? (ie only 6 episodes this year)

Pretty sure, yup.

b_illin
12-06-2010, 02:31 PM

Sadly, yes

canuckthug
02-13-2012, 12:49 AM
A new episode air'd tonight... Season 3. Haven't watched it, any thoughts ?!

Im pretty much with everyone else:
First season was mostly quality.
Most episodes in season 2 were lackluster and uneventful.
Season 3 ???

Hamsterkill
02-13-2012, 08:33 AM
A new episode air'd tonight... Season 3. Haven't watched it, any thoughts ?!

Im pretty much with everyone else:
First season was mostly quality.
Most episodes in season 2 were lackluster and uneventful.
Season 3 ???
This is the second half of season 2, not season 3.

gogoayane
02-13-2012, 10:14 AM
Watched it last night... it was kinda meh... another episode for character and plot building. I hope they start heading back out to the city.

canuckthug
02-13-2012, 02:06 PM
This is the second half of season 2, not season 3.
yeah, your right. Season 2, episode 8. I realized this last night when i tried downloading (walking dead season 3) but results kept coming blank. I just went to the AMC website. The title of the episode is Nebraska.

Watched it last night... it was kinda meh... another episode for character and plot building. I hope they start heading back out to the city.

Not sure whats gonna happen...
It looked like the group was getting the boot from Hershel. But now, it looks like Hershel and the Sheriff are on the same page again. Its pretty crazy how they finally meet new humans (probably not many left) and then they killed them. All they wanted was a place to stay just like they did... but nope. Good scene, didnt see that coming. The old man is gonna expose Shane... hopefully the old man doesnt get killed. I thought the episode was alright. The show goes by smooth when you dont have commericals!

fancy19
02-22-2012, 08:09 AM
OK, after the lackluster start to the 2nd season it seems to be picking back up again in the last 2 episodes and preview for next week looks good, welcome back so far.

toronto1979
02-22-2012, 02:51 PM
LOVE this show. And while season 2 did start out slow, I expect big things for the 2nd half of the season.

Here's a good read on the series:
http://warmingglow.uproxx.com/2012/02/was-frank-darabont-the-problem-with-the-walking-dead-all-along

While I would've loved to have seen Darabont's season 2 premier (that sounds like it would've been a kickass episode, the criticism of it is bang on).

Raja
02-22-2012, 10:00 PM
i haven't watched last week's yet, but i think the skinny guy in the bar scene would have helped the show out sooooooo much. i hate the acting in general in this show but he was awesome in terriers. still looks like i'm going to stop watching after this season but we'll see.

gogoayane
03-05-2012, 12:45 AM
Just got caught up with the last two eps and WOW... after a somewhat boring beginning I must say these two eps were awesome. Finally we get to see some actions and they bit the bullet and did something drastic to move the story forward. Two more eps left... I can only expect a strong finish now :D

Raja
03-19-2012, 11:07 PM
Pleasantly surprised with the last 3 or so episodes. Super pumped that dale is goneReally hope they work on their pacing next season, the first half+ of this season was such trash.

pjm
03-19-2012, 11:44 PM
Pleasantly surprised with the last 3 or so episodes. Super pumped that dale is goneReally hope they work on their pacing next season, the first half+ of this season was such trash.

Yeah, last half of the season was nice. People actually died, which was also nice.

I am pulling for T-Dog. Dude has maybe 1-2 lines/episode but he is the only one I want to survive the zombie apocalypse now.

gogoayane
03-20-2012, 08:50 AM
The 2nd part of Season 2 was great and it should only be better. I like how they are different from the comic, but still keep the storyline somewhat intact.

Next season will feature 16 episodes... can't wait!

They had to kill off a couple characters, but for Dale, I think the actor wanted off the show since he had a good relationship with Frank Darabont and didn't like he was no longer directing.

b_illin
03-23-2012, 10:29 AM
The slow start was clearly setup for the kickass 2nd half of the season! Awesome!!

I secretly wish Rick would off Carl for the good of the group....that fucking kid drives me bonkers. I increasingly hate Carol as well....and Lori was getting a bit annoying as well of late.

PS: I am also annoyed that these idiots haven't figured out that they need zombie weapons like swords and spiked clubs, etc. - duh

Hamsterkill
03-23-2012, 12:17 PM
The slow start was clearly setup for the kickass 2nd half of the season! Awesome!!

I secretly wish Rick would off Carl for the good of the group....that fucking kid drives me bonkers. I increasingly hate Carol as well....and Lori was getting a bit annoying as well of late.

PS: I am also annoyed that these idiots haven't figured out that they need zombie weapons like swords and spiked clubs, etc. - duh
Well it's not like swords are easily found weapons unless you happen to walk by a museum or something.

I think you'll come to like Carl more as he grows up if they hold to the comic at all.

b_illin
03-23-2012, 12:27 PM
Well it's not like swords are easily found weapons unless you happen to walk by a museum or something.

I think you'll come to like Carl more as he grows up if they hold to the comic at all.

Fair enough, but they could have easily made weapons that make sense in the world they now live in - eg. spiked clubs a la Rwanda or Machetes, etc. That they were just figuring out that using knives, pitchforks saves ammo amazes me. (but I guess it's a TV show so I shouldn't nitpick)

Hamsterkill
03-23-2012, 12:41 PM
Fair enough, but they could have easily made weapons that make sense in the world they now live in - eg. spiked clubs a la Rwanda or Machetes, etc. That they were just figuring out that using knives, pitchforks saves ammo amazes me. (but I guess it's a TV show so I shouldn't nitpick)

Also set in the American South. Guns and ammo are like teddy bears there. :D

b_illin
03-23-2012, 01:06 PM
Also set in the American South. Guns and ammo are like teddy bears there. :D

For sure, but it's more that firing those guns draws too much attention. Eg. The herd that changed directions after hearing shanes gun go off.

gogoayane
03-23-2012, 02:03 PM
haha very true... technically all this happened within 3 months so maybe they are still used to the american way of handling threats :)

i really hate Lori... she just have to be a bitch about everything... not to mention she's probably the worst mother ever for not knowing where your kid is in a zombie-filled world.

gogoayane
11-05-2012, 11:23 AM
Not sure if you guys watched the latest episode yet... but wow that was unexpected...

pjm
11-05-2012, 04:42 PM
Yeah, got pretty dark last episode...

Small thing, but why didn't they just kill Lori before cutting her open? You'd think it would be a bit more humane than just going unconscious from the pain of being sliced open while still alive and THEN getting the bullet to the head. Plus it might make the "surgery" a bit easier. Ah well, it was still an intense scene.

gogoayane
11-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Yeah, got pretty dark last episode...

Small thing, but why didn't they just kill Lori before cutting her open? You'd think it would be a bit more humane than just going unconscious from the pain of being sliced open while still alive and THEN getting the bullet to the head. Plus it might make the "surgery" a bit easier. Ah well, it was still an intense scene.

Till the last second I was hoping Carol / someone that knows what to do would come in and save Lori from all this, so that's why I thought she would've been kept alive till the end. Sad ending but much needed to move the story forward. I like how it's very different than the comic in terms of time of events.

I don't see why they didn't expanded T-Dog's role though. What a waste of a character and I thought he would a bigger role given his earlier conflict with the group on being "human". I really don't understand that part.

And Michonne... how stupid is she to confront the Governor, in his turf, with his men around him. You would've thought she's more calculating than that..

Either way - great episode!