PDA

View Full Version : Teams with Better/Worse Defense Than Last Year

PMStick
10-05-2010, 01:33 AM
Interested in this mainly for my goaltenders. Which teams should we expect improvement from on defense and why? Any input on this or the other way around, teams that may have defensive problems this year will be strongly considered.

Draft is tomorrow/today.

Hoo Hoo Howie
10-05-2010, 12:05 PM
Even with the loss of Streit, coach Scott Gordon says the Isles' defense is much improved. I tend to agree with him. They likely won't get you a lot of wins, but Roloson/DiPietro (assuming he stays healthy - which he won't), should put up some solid #s. I wouldn't mind taking a chance on them as my 3rd goalie, or maybe even my second, and they should both be draftable very late.

Here's a link to the interview with Gordon, as well as a brief snippet:

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2010/10/gordon-on-d-upgrade-no-comparisonplus-point-blank-kickoff-party-on-oct-21-at-social/

So I put the question to Coach Gordon: even with Mark Streit out, is this the best corps of defensemen you’ve had since you got here?

Gordon looked me straight in the eye and said, “There’s no comparison.”

Then he elaborated.

“We went into the year with two defensemen who hadn’t played pretty much the whole previous year (Andy Sutton and Martinek) and a defenseman that is probably retired now (Brendan Witt). We had some defensemen that had to catch up when Marty got hurt (Freddy Meyer among them).

“Now we’re in a situation where the guys that are here, everybody’s played top-four minutes at some point. We haven’t had that in the entire time that I’ve been here.”

A year ago at this time, the Islanders started the season with a blueline of Streit, Sutton, Martinek, Meyer, Witt and Bruno Gervais. Jack Hillen was the prospect ready to go.

Despite Streit’s absence, Gordon and Chynoweth will have the option of playing any six of the following nine defensemen when the season opens on Saturday: Wisniewski, Mottau, Eaton, Martinek, MacDonald, Gervais, de Haan, Hillen and Milan Jurcina.

keyboard
10-05-2010, 12:23 PM
I do not believe this kind of analysis will help you in drafting goalies.

Raja
10-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Anaheim is worse. Pittsburgh is better. NJ is better. Vancouver is better. I can't remember any others that significantly changed, but I kind of agree with keyboard. Good goalies are good goalies, if GAA goes up, sv% will go up also. Less wins is the only issue but that's a whole team effort.

lektrix
10-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Chicago is worse. Philadelphia is better.

TheGreatDane
10-05-2010, 01:28 PM
LA's is better. Doughty and Johnson are both a year older, we've added Mitchell, and we'll get Matt Greene back in a few weeks. And we have Scuderi.

toronto1979
10-05-2010, 01:52 PM
With Komisarek and Phaneuf both on the point fulltime I'd say the Leafs blueline has impreoved, but I still wouldn't draft either of their goaltenders.

Phaneauf - Kaberle
Komisarek - Beauchemin
Schenn - Gunnarsson

(extras: Finger, Lebda, Lashoff)

PMStick
10-05-2010, 03:58 PM
How's Detroit's blueline? Howard's projections are sky-high right now. Osgood's numbers used to scare me a bit. Will Howard keep his numbers consistent? If so he is projected to be a tier 1 goalie...

Raja
10-05-2010, 04:03 PM
sophomore slump is more of a risk than defense I think. Lidstrom, Rafalski, healthy Kronwall, Ericsson/Stuart, Salei is solid.

PMStick
09-24-2011, 10:40 AM
This thread helped me draft Jonathan Quick last year and stay away from Hiller and the Blackhawks goalies.

Bumping this for 2011-12.

bearcats
09-24-2011, 10:52 AM
chicago's D will be better

PMStick
09-28-2013, 08:27 PM
bump for 2013-14....looking to hear your thoughts...

toronto1979
09-28-2013, 09:20 PM
Eww was that ever an ugly defence the Leafs had 3 years ago. Hindsight is definitely 20/20.

keyboard
09-28-2013, 09:24 PM
LA will be worse.
WPG will be better.

jeffoule
09-29-2013, 09:31 AM
Mtl is better this year i think