PDA

View Full Version : Top 10's by position

alias
08-07-2010, 04:49 PM
These rankings are for a keeper league so keep that in mind while you criticize my list. I’ve added in the ranking changes in brackets after their age. (n/c) is no change, (-) means they were not on the top 10 last year. Positions are as per nhl.com

Centers
1. Crosby (24) (n/c)
2. Malkin (23) (n/c) – injury plagued season hurt his numbers but he’s still top 2.
3. Backstrom (22) (+2)
4. Stamkos (20) (-) - if he can keep it up could be #3 next year
5. H. Sedin (30) (-)
6. Datsyuk (32) (-3) – sub-par season hurt, but I think he’ll bounce back
7. Getzlaf (25) (-3) – injuries hurt but was over a PPG last year
8. Thornton (31) (n/c)
9. LeCavalier (30) (n/c)
10. Kopitar (23) (-)

There’s a lot of good centers so this list was hard, especially #10 but honourable mentions to Savard(33), Stastny (24), M. Richards(25), Toews(22), Staal(24) & Spezza(27).

Left wing (the shallowest position after losing Heater & Nash to RW)
1. Ovechkin (24) (n/c)
2. Kovalchuk (27) (+1) – #2 for awhile unless he goes to the KHL
3. Semin (26) (+5)
4. Parise (26) (+2)
5. Zetterberg (29) (n/c)
6. D. Sedin (29) (+3)
7. Marleau (30) (-)
8. Cammalleri (28) (-1)
9. Gagne (30) (+1) – if he can stay injury free he can do big things in Tampa
10. Burrows (29) (-) – very nice contributor across the board

Honourable mentions to Sharp (28), Morrow (31), Vanek(26), & Frolov(28)

Right Wing
1. Kane (21) (+3) should be top dog here for quite awhile
2. Gaborik (n/c) – if he can continue staying healthy (I think he can) he stays here for awhile
3. Heatley (29) – listed as LW last year
4. Perry (25) (+1)
5. Hossa (31) (-2)
6. Nash (26) – listed as LW last year
7. Iginla (33) (-6) – production on the decline & no center to bring him back over PPG
8. St. Louis (35) (-2) – can still put up big points but no PIM’s & age hurts his value
9. Bobby Ryan(23) (-)
10. Hemsky (27) (-2)

Honourable mentions to Kessel (22), Pominville (27), Horton (25), Backes(26) & Doan(33)

Defense – another tough list. So many promising up and comers and vets who can still walk the walk.
1. Green (24) (n/c)
2. Doughty (20) (-)
3. Keith (27) (-)
4. Boyle (34) (-2)
5. Markov (31) (-3) can he stay away from the fluke injuries & will his knee hold up?
6. Pronger (35) (+1) – getting older but still a beast back there
7. Chara (33) (-2)
8. Phaneuf (25) (-4)
9. Gonchar (36) (-1)
10. Streit (32) (-1)

Honourable mentions to Kaberle (32), Enstrom (25), Myers (20), S. Weber(25) & E. Johnson (22)

Goaltenders
1. Luongo (31) (n/c)
2. Miller (30) (-) how he was only an honourable mention last year was an oversight on my part.
3. Lundqvist (28) (-1)
4. Rask (23) (-) – I think he’s the real deal but I’ll give him one more year to prove it before he hits the top 3. Could be #1 next year if he matches last years #’s
5. Fleury (25) (-2)
6. Kiprusoff (33) (-1)
7. Bryzgalov (30) (-)
8. Rinne (27) (+2)
9. Price (23) (n/c)
10. S. Mason (22) (-2)

Honourable mentions to Quick (24), Niemi (26), Brodeur (38), Halak (25), Howard (26), Ward(26), Turco(35), & Vokoun(34).

A couple notes:

- Open to suggestions on changes but remember if you want to add someone to a top 10 list you have to remove someone. Saying “Toews should be in the top 10” is great but who do you remove?
- Remember that age is a factor. I have a hard time putting someone 35+ in the top 5 of a list, especially a goaltender.

There you go. Flame away :flamed:

toronto1979
08-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Good lists.

I think the only changes I would make is I'd swap Vinny for Toews and Weber for Gonchar. And neither Price nor Mason could hold on to a starter job last year. While I do think they have value, I don't think they've passed Brodeur yet. I'd slide them both out and put Marty and Howard and 9 and 10.

Toews > Vinny
Weber > Gonchar
Brodeur > Price
Howard > Mason

Zangetsu
08-07-2010, 05:09 PM
What categories are you using? With Burrows so high, I'm guessing SOG and PIM would be included. The Yahoo standard is G, A, PPP, +/-, PIM, SOG for skaters and W, GAA, SV%, SO for goalies.

I think your forward rankings are solid, but I would move a couple of guys to the positions that they're currently listed at for Yahoo leagues. Minor gripe, yes, but Zetts is a C, Semin is a RW, and Heatley/Nash/Ryan are LW. I'd move Kessel and Horton into the top 10, and Burrows would get bumped to HM. Zetts wouldn't make my top 10 as a center.

At D, I'd put Weber and EJ in for Phaneuf and Streit. Phaneuf could regain his spot with a good year this year, but for now he wouldn't be one of the first ten guys I'd draft.

You're not going to like this, but I'd put Ward at 10 and Halak at 9. I'd also swap Brodeur for Kipper. I just don't like the team that he's going to be playing on this year. I also have a hard time leaving Vokoun out of the top-10, but considering how bad that Florida team is going to be, I don't think he'll be getting many wins.

Minor changes aside, very strong list. Nice work.

HABS_FrEaK
08-07-2010, 05:45 PM
What makes you say Heatley and Nash will be RW? Yahoo isn't even up yet. Unless youre using another website.

dw13
08-07-2010, 05:48 PM
What makes you say Heatley and Nash will be RW? Yahoo isn't even up yet. Unless youre using another website.

But you can check the Yahoo! site and see where they have players listed. Heatley and Nash are LW listed, and I used it last year and it was accurate.

Zang's post is pretty much spot on.

Cornholio
08-07-2010, 06:24 PM
No flaming, just a couple of questions regarding the positions.
Zetterberg was playing C all year (I'm not sure about Marlow)...
Nash was LW...
How come you changed the position? Or who did that? ;)

Edit: didn't see the other posts making kind of the same points...

Rocklobster
08-07-2010, 07:48 PM
zetterberg is supposed to be lined up with dats again, so i'm assuming he'll be c/lw but who knows. Wings will rebound this year so his points will be good. I don't know about horton being top 10 worthy, maybe after a solid year in boston he will be. I think he also plays C too, which is great to dual position.

Snipes16
08-07-2010, 08:58 PM
Thats actuall a pretty good list. If I had to nitpick...

I'd also put Weber in the top 10 over Phaneuf and Gonchar like a couple others said.

Kessel over Iginla by a lot

Dont know if it was an oversight because he didn't receive even an honerable mention but I've got Hiller in my top 10 over Kipper, Mason, Price and Bryz.

alias
08-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Good lists.

I think the only changes I would make is I'd swap Vinny for Toews and Weber for Gonchar. And neither Price nor Mason could hold on to a starter job last year. While I do think they have value, I don't think they've passed Brodeur yet. I'd slide them both out and put Marty and Howard and 9 and 10.

Toews > Vinny
Weber > Gonchar
Brodeur > Price
Howard > Mason

Toews while a great 2 way center isn't as good fantasy wise as some others. Vinny should have an up year with the new forward crop they have going now, but these guys are very close.

Gonchar put up 7 more points in 16 less games than Weber. I am of the opinion that Weber is overrated.

Yes Brodeur is better than Price, he's better than most of the guys on that list, but he's 38 years old. If you're drafting him as your first goalie, you better draft another goalie soon otherwise in a keeper your goalies will be weak in a couple years.

I know I'm going to get some flak for Howard. I do think Mason rebounds big this year. With Hitchcock out of there I see a lot of the younger players getting a second life in Columbus.

What categories are you using? With Burrows so high, I'm guessing SOG and PIM would be included. The Yahoo standard is G, A, PPP, +/-, PIM, SOG for skaters and W, GAA, SV%, SO for goalies.

standard yahoo cats. so yeah, sog & PIM included.

I think your forward rankings are solid, but I would move a couple of guys to the positions that they're currently listed at for Yahoo leagues. Minor gripe, yes, but Zetts is a C, Semin is a RW, and Heatley/Nash/Ryan are LW. I'd move Kessel and Horton into the top 10, and Burrows would get bumped to HM. Zetts wouldn't make my top 10 as a center.

It'd be easier if we knew positions for sure, but if Heatley/Nash/Ryan are indeed RW then Kessel & Horton don't make the cut.

At D, I'd put Weber and EJ in for Phaneuf and Streit. Phaneuf could regain his spot with a good year this year, but for now he wouldn't be one of the first ten guys I'd draft.

I've mentioned Weber earlier, overrated IMO. Now, Streit on the other hand is underrated. The guy put up 49, 56, & 62 points in the last 3 years and is on an improving Isles team. He should put up 50 points for a few more years. EJ was a tough cut and will likely make next years list. Phaneuf has too much talent to be off there, and like Streit is on a team that is getting better. I thought I'd have more people pushing for Enstrom than anything else.

You're not going to like this, but I'd put Ward at 10 and Halak at 9. I'd also swap Brodeur for Kipper. I just don't like the team that he's going to be playing on this year. I also have a hard time leaving Vokoun out of the top-10, but considering how bad that Florida team is going to be, I don't think he'll be getting many wins.

Minor changes aside, very strong list. Nice work.

And Ward, another guy I think is overrated. 28th in wins, 25th in GAA, 14th in sv% last year. Not top 10 numbers. I'd like to see a full season of Halak as #1 before I pass judgement on him, and Kipper off the list all together? Really? 10th in wins, 7th in GAA, 10th in sv% last year on a shitty Calgary team and while he is aging he isn't over the hill yet.

end of the first paragraph. positions are as per nhl.com

toronto1979
08-07-2010, 11:00 PM
My comments are in yellow

Toews while a great 2 way center isn't as good fantasy wise as some others. Vinny should have an up year with the new forward crop they have going now, but these guys are very close.
- There's been an ongoing debate in the media over whose better, Kane or Toews. If Kane were a center he'd be a top 10, so why not Toews? Sure Kane out-pointed Toews last year. But going forward I see them equalling each other (much like the 1-2 punch of the Sedins or Crosby/Malkin). Then once you factor in age, and I put Toews over Vinny. But that's just my opinion. I was offered Vinny for Toews last year in a keeper and I turned it down and I'd do it again.

Gonchar put up 7 more points in 16 less games than Weber. I am of the opinion that Weber is overrated.
- I thought these rankings were for a keeper league? Gonchar is a decade older and has been injured 2 years in a row.

Yes Brodeur is better than Price, he's better than most of the guys on that list, but he's 38 years old. If you're drafting him as your first goalie, you better draft another goalie soon otherwise in a keeper your goalies will be weak in a couple years.
- If you draft Price or Mason as your #1 goalie you'll want to pick another one right away too. I wouldnt feel comfortable picking either one as my first goaltender. Neither one of them have proven themselves to be reliable yet. Meanwhile, Marty has. This completely contradicts my Gonchar statement, but I think Marty still has 2-3 solid years left in him and will be a solid goalie into his forties, similar to (but better than) Ed Belfour or Curtis Joseph. Next year, I'd rank him behind those two young guys, but not yet.

I know I'm going to get some flak for Howard. I do think Mason rebounds big this year. With Hitchcock out of there I see a lot of the younger players getting a second life in Columbus.
- I hope you're right. I plan to steal Mason late in a few drafts

bearcats
08-07-2010, 11:17 PM
its a great list alias...I would change few

Toews over vinny, as a keeper jonathon is like a young stevie Y, vinny was a young stevie Y 7 years ago.....

weber over gonchar simply due to age/potential/injuries...and oh ya I think with NO NECK Trotz (luv him) at the helm, the preds are better than the sens...

sharpie over gagne...I think sharp is the better player, he is younger, will be C and maybe lw/rw for Hossa on a great team...Gagne may have a decent year but health is a serious issue

other positions to come...

bearcats
08-07-2010, 11:28 PM
rw- gabby is too high and a gamble IMO...so many guys that could make it big here...kessel/doan/horton/backes could be all in the top 10...

d-
myers/weber and ej all deserve to be in the top 10 for keepers....take striet/gonchar & marokov or pronger out IMO

g-
quick and halak should likley be in the mix but whom do you take...Kipper (age ) and Price? not sure

all in all I think alias put up a decent top 10 list and I will be referring to it come draft days....

Zangetsu
08-08-2010, 12:35 AM
It'd be easier if we knew positions for sure, but if Heatley/Nash/Ryan are indeed RW then Kessel & Horton don't make the cut.

And Ward, another guy I think is overrated. 28th in wins, 25th in GAA, 14th in sv% last year. Not top 10 numbers.
Agreed on the point about Heatley, Nash, and Ryan being better options than Kessel and Horton, but I think Yahoo positions are more reliable than NHL.com, at least for fantasy purposes, so Horton and Kessel would simply be the two guys I slot in after adjusting to the positions I'm more comfortable with.

You really can't use last year to gauge Cam Ward. He was battling injury the entire year, and the team playing in front of him wasn't very good. Granted, the team hasn't really improved, but a healthy Cam Ward would've had much better numbers.

Cornholio
08-08-2010, 04:01 AM
zetterberg is supposed to be lined up with dats again, so i'm assuming he'll be c/lw but who knows.
If so, he will take the first faceoffs. At least he did that the past two years when those two were together.
So Dats should get the 2nd position ;)
But as you say - who knows...

alias
08-08-2010, 02:52 PM
- There's been an ongoing debate in the media over whose better, Kane or Toews. If Kane were a center he'd be a top 10, so why not Toews? Sure Kane out-pointed Toews last year. But going forward I see them equalling each other (much like the 1-2 punch of the Sedins or Crosby/Malkin). Then once you factor in age, and I put Toews over Vinny. But that's just my opinion. I was offered Vinny for Toews last year in a keeper and I turned it down and I'd do it again.

Toews in real life is more valuable than Toews in fantasy, so of course the media would say he's up there with Kane. He brings a better defensive game which doesn't translate into fantasy.

- I thought these rankings were for a keeper league? Gonchar is a decade older and has been injured 2 years in a row.

Defensemen are a different beast when it comes to age. The good ones can produce into their late 30's. Look at Lids & Nieds. Gonchar still has 2-3 years of solid production left. Weber still has not shown to be top 10 worthy. He hasn't shown the promise of a Doughty or Keith and he has 1 season where he broke 45 points.

- If you draft Price or Mason as your #1 goalie you'll want to pick another one right away too. I wouldnt feel comfortable picking either one as my first goaltender. Neither one of them have proven themselves to be reliable yet. Meanwhile, Marty has. This completely contradicts my Gonchar statement, but I think Marty still has 2-3 solid years left in him and will be a solid goalie into his forties, similar to (but better than) Ed Belfour or Curtis Joseph. Next year, I'd rank him behind those two young guys, but not yet.

2 years ago I drafted Price as my first goalie in the 4th round. Today I have Price, Halak & Rask. I think I have a pretty good trio of goalies for the future. If I had drafted Brodeur I would have had to use an earlier pick and would have a lesser skater plus a retiring Brodeur in a couple years.

its a great list alias...I would change few

Toews over vinny, as a keeper jonathon is like a young stevie Y, vinny was a young stevie Y 7 years ago.....

weber over gonchar simply due to age/potential/injuries...and oh ya I think with NO NECK Trotz (luv him) at the helm, the preds are better than the sens...

sharpie over gagne...I think sharp is the better player, he is younger, will be C and maybe lw/rw for Hossa on a great team...Gagne may have a decent year but health is a serious issue

other positions to come...

I'm close to swapping Vinny for Toews....

Sharp for Gange eh? Having a hard time refuting that....

rw- gabby is too high and a gamble IMO...so many guys that could make it big here...kessel/doan/horton/backes could be all in the top 10...

I had Gabby at #2 last year and he proved he belonged there. I really do think the 2 hip surgeries he had last off-season fixed the injury problems he had. He has incredible talent and he produced at a higher ppg pace than any other RW but St. Louis. If he was Kane's age I'd probably have him #1.

d-
myers/weber and ej all deserve to be in the top 10 for keepers....take striet/gonchar & marokov or pronger out IMO

Pronger is too good of an across the board contributor to take off there. 55pts, +22, 26PPP, 79PIM, 175sog last year. Gonch will probably be off the list next year for sure due to age. Markov is an x factor. If he can stay healthy he's top 5, and his injuries have mostly been flukish. You know my thoughts on Weber, and EJ & Myers will likely be there next year.

g-
quick and halak should likley be in the mix but whom do you take...Kipper (age ) and Price? not sure

Kipper can still put up some great numbers, and still has a few years in the tank. I can't take him off just yet. Halak has yet to prove anything as a #1 and I'm skeptical for many reasons I won't delve into here. Read my last few posts in the Habs thread re: Halak if you want to see my thought on him.

You really can't use last year to gauge Cam Ward. He was battling injury the entire year, and the team playing in front of him wasn't very good. Granted, the team hasn't really improved, but a healthy Cam Ward would've had much better numbers.

But you're only using the year before to say he's top 10 worthy. He's only had 1 year of good numbers since he took over the starting job.

Year - wins - gaa - sv%
09-10 - 28th, 25th, 14th
08-09 - 3rd, 12th, 11th.
07-08 - 5th, 32nd, 32nd
06-07 - 15th, 31st, 34th

I'll take 2 young guys with potential over a guy who has 4 full season's under his belt and only once has he sniffed top 10 numbers.

Zangetsu
08-08-2010, 02:59 PM
Proven commodity vs. potential, it's a tough call, which is why it's even worth discussing. I'm a little more conservative, I'd go with Ward over Price. Just personal preference, though.

Rocklobster
08-09-2010, 09:49 AM
ward over price by a mile.

Zangetsu
08-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Just noticed that Yahoo is now listing Nash as a RW. I think he's actually been playing RW for a while now, so maybe Yahoo is making progress with their position accuracy.

He'd bump Horton out of my top-10, and Burrows would be back in on the LW list.

dw13
08-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Just noticed that Yahoo is now listing Nash as a RW. I think he's actually been playing RW for a while now, so maybe Yahoo is making progress with their position accuracy.

FFS.

That puts a dent into my team.

phaneuf6
08-12-2010, 03:56 PM

Where can I access the positions?

HABS_FrEaK
08-12-2010, 04:08 PM
Where can I access the positions?

They mean in the player profile page on yahoo.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/3153

Wouldn't be the first time that the position in yahoo fantasy and on the player pager are not the same.

Zangetsu
08-12-2010, 04:28 PM
Yeah, I'm just using the player profile pages. They were accurate for all the questionable players I looked up last year. The profile pages also changed as second positions were added. Don't know if they're 100% accurate, but I trust them more than NHL.com, CBS, or ESPN (at least for Yahoo leagues).

I do remember a few years ago when they weren't as accurate, but based on last year, I'm going with them until Yahoo opens up their fantasy season.

alias
08-13-2010, 10:19 PM
So Dobber put out a list of top 10's just like I did....:shifty:

This list however is not from their goaltending guru Justin Goldman, but from Jeff Angus. I would have liked to see Justin do a list like this. Anyways, here's the goalie list:

1. Luongo
2. Lundqvist
3. Miller
4. Rask
5. Halak
6. Vokoun
7. Brodeur
8. Kiprusoff
9. Bryzgalov
10. Price

Honourable mentions - MAF, Anderson, Varlamov, Neuvirth, Rinne, Bernier, Markstrom, Ward

Goaltenders
1. Luongo (31) (n/c)
2. Miller (30) (-) how he was only an honourable mention last year was an oversight on my part.
3. Lundqvist (28) (-1)
4. Rask (23) (-) I think hes the real deal but Ill give him one more year to prove it before he hits the top 3. Could be #1 next year if he matches last years #s
5. Fleury (25) (-2)
6. Kiprusoff (33) (-1)
7. Bryzgalov (30) (-)
8. Rinne (27) (+2)
9. Price (23) (n/c)
10. S. Mason (22) (-2)

Honourable mentions to Quick (24), Niemi (26), Brodeur (38), Halak (25), Howard (26), Ward(26), Turco(35), & Vokoun(34).

The top 4 are nearly identical and I don't think anyone can argue against either Lundy or Miller for #2. The rest of the list is different and that's where personal opinions come more into play as the competition gets tighter. They have skater rankings too but I'll look at that when I get more time.

Gern Blansten
08-24-2011, 08:45 PM
For the past couple of years, I have really enjoyed and looked forward to this thread from Alias. With all the keeper question threads, I thought I'd find this one, give her a bump and see if Alias would perhaps do the Third Annual Top 10 Keeper By Position thread?

Chunk
08-25-2011, 01:26 AM
For the past couple of years, I have really enjoyed and looked forward to this thread from Alias. With all the keeper question threads, I thought I'd find this one, give her a bump and see if Alias would perhaps do the Third Annual Top 10 Keeper By Position thread?

agreed. his list and the discussion that goes on afterwards is one of my favorite tools when setting up my draft list

Cornholio
08-29-2011, 11:56 AM
I'm also waiting for Alias.
Would be especially helpful for my gf who's in a kind of a "try out" this year...
She wnats to know what's so special about fantasy hockey that I am spending so much time here :D

Dubz
08-29-2011, 10:55 PM
I'm also waiting for Alias.
Would be especially helpful for my gf who's in a kind of a "try out" this year...
She wnats to know what's so special about fantasy hockey that I am spending so much time here :D

Hate to say it bro....but if she dont understand now i doubt she ever willl lol. Hopefully im wrong. Good Luck....at least you have her givin it a try.

Cornholio
08-30-2011, 12:01 PM
i'd rather say that she finally "wanted" to participate ;)
and it's not the point that she doesn't understand the game, but... the little things.
e.g. here's the result of her mockdraft:
(14 teams, she was picking at #12)
1. Ryan Miller (Buf - G)
2. Henrik Zetterberg (Det - LW)
3. Rick Nash (Cls - RW)
4. Danny Briere (Phi - C,RW)
5. Phil Kessel (Tor - RW)
6. Michael Cammalleri (Mon - LW)
7. Ryan Whitney (Edm - D)
8. Niklas Kronwall (Det - D)
9. Tomas Kaberle (Car - D)
10. Mike Ribeiro (Dal - C)
11. Antero Niittymaki (SJ - G)
12. Stephane Robidas (Dal - D)
13. Nikolai Khabibulin (Edm - G)
14. Pavel Kubina (TB - D)
15. Jussi Jokinen (Car - LW)
16. Sean Avery (NYR - LW)

toronto1979
08-30-2011, 09:32 PM
These are the current top 10 according to Yahoo's mock drafts average draft positions:

C
Steven Stamkos
Sidney Crosby
Henrik Sedin
Nicklas Backstrom
Anze Kopitar
Evgeni Malkin
Jonathan Toews
Brad Richards
Ryan Kesler
Eric Staal
Ryan Getzlaf

LW
Daniel Sedin
Alex Ovechkin
Bobby Ryan
Pavel Datsyuk
Zach Parise
Henrik Zetterberg
Ilya Kovalchuk
Patrick Marleau
Thomas Vanek
Milan Lucic

RW
Corey Perry
Martin St. Louis
Jarome Iginla
Patrick Kane
Jeff Carter
Alexander Semin
Rick Nash
Claude Giroux
Dany Heatley
Danny Briere

D
Mike Green
Drew Doughty
Shea Weber
Dustin Byfuglien
Lubomir Visnovsky
Zdeno Chara
Keith Yandle
Dan Boyle
Nicklas Lidstrom
Duncan Keith

G
Henrik Lundqvist
Roberto Luongo
Pekka Rinne
Ilya Bryzgalov
Ryan Miller
Tomas Vokoun
Tim Thomas
Carey Price
Antti Niemi
Marc-Andre Fleury

alias
09-02-2011, 09:25 PM
hey folks....been a crazy summer for me, barely had time for HI. I've been wanting to do this again. I'll try to get it up by Sunday. Hang tight!

Gern Blansten
09-03-2011, 12:42 AM
hey folks....been a crazy summer for me, barely had time for HI. I've been wanting to do this again. I'll try to get it up by Sunday. Hang tight!

Hopefully crazy good?!

Thanks for doing this. Always a treat!

Cornholio
09-03-2011, 02:46 AM
Thanks a lot alias, would be a great feature again!! :)

jeffoule
09-05-2011, 12:44 PM
All right! :D

Favorite thread during offseason...thanks

alias
09-05-2011, 12:51 PM
All right! :D

Favorite thread during offseason...thanks

It's up already ;)