PDA

View Full Version : Hell's Kitchen - Gordon Ramsay

nyrblue2
06-17-2010, 11:36 AM
Anyone watch Hell's Kitchen? I'm not a regular of many TV shows (pretty much just this and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia), but this one has had me hooked since season 1.

It definitely doesn't focus on the actual cooking as much as it could, but the antics of Gordon Ramsay are hilarious, which is pretty much what they're going for. It does really well, as I just read that it is the second highest rated reality show in the US behind Survivor.

MrScientist
06-17-2010, 12:12 PM
Egh, I got tired of the show. Ramsay's antics notwithstanding, I just don't get how these people with at least some background as cooks/chefs fuck EVERYTHING up.

b_illin
06-17-2010, 12:47 PM
I watch it....more because there is fuckall else to watch when it's on each Summer than because I love it.

keyboard
06-17-2010, 02:22 PM
I prefer Kitchen Nightmares.

MrScientist
06-17-2010, 02:31 PM
I prefer Kitchen Nightmares.

There have been accusations in the past of the condition of the restaurants on KN being faked...I've never watched a full episode, so do you think it's true?

Kyle
06-17-2010, 03:14 PM
There have been accusations in the past of the condition of the restaurants on KN being faked...I've never watched a full episode, so do you think it's true?

I know for a fact the accusations are false. A lot of areas of the show are dramafied and a lot of the people reactions are scripted but the failed state of the resteraunts he visits are totally real, and really most of the drama is real. Ramsey also hires a lot of people to give certain comments on the food but in reality the comments he has them say only reflect his own opinion which, at the risk of brown-nosing, is right about 99.99% of the time.

KN is a very real show by reality TV standards. The drama is exaggerated but there were countless witness reports of horrid conditions in that kitchen that accused him of falsefying the scummy state of affairs.

Kyle
06-17-2010, 03:17 PM
And I love Hells Kitchen. A lot of the fuckups are obviously pre-scripted but for the most part its just a really enjoyable show.

I just don't get how these people with at least some background as cooks/chefs fuck EVERYTHING up.

Nobody fucks everything up unless you got a chef making a rissoto for their first time or something like that. You might see a guy get 6-7 filet of beefs sent back but you don't see the 30-40 that went through fine.

The fact is no amount of cooking experience prepares you for fine dining. Its a totally new learning expeirence and clearly a lot of them aren't up for it, but these really are all good cooks. Don't be too fooled by the fact that they prefer to televise the mistakes before the successes.

Dubz
06-17-2010, 03:26 PM
Yeah...my wife loves it so guess what - I watch it:D The chef has to be one of the most entertaining dudes....he calls people horrible names and gets away with it. One of my favs was when he called that one girl a cow all the time. Bloody Hell:lol: Get OUT:lol: Damn PIG:lol:

Yeah he rocks:headbang:

b_illin
06-17-2010, 04:34 PM

There are definitely actors on that show, but I think once you get down to final half dozen or so it's real. (eg. that guy that booted last year for wanting to fight Ramsey....that was totally staged. Same goes for that weird farmer/butcher who got booted this season...screams fake to me)

Edit: oops, I was referring to Hells Kitchen

Kyle
06-17-2010, 04:45 PM
There are definitely actors on that show, but I think once you get down to final half dozen or so it's real. (eg. that guy that booted last year for wanting to fight Ramsey....that was totally staged. Same goes for that weird farmer/butcher who got booted this season...screams fake to me)

Edit: oops, I was referring to Hells Kitchen

Yeah that navy dude who picked a fight was clearly a total fake. I thought that meathead farmer was actually legit.

dw13
06-17-2010, 05:10 PM
The show irks me. I cannot stand to even flick past it when I'm flicking.

Kyle
06-17-2010, 05:18 PM
The show irks me. I cannot stand to even flick past it when I'm flicking.

If you couldn't handle watching me without having to put me on ignore eventually, I can't imagine the thoughts that run through your head when you're watching Ramsey tear into people:lol:

dw13
06-17-2010, 05:21 PM
If you couldn't handle watching me without having to put me on ignore eventually, I can't imagine the thoughts that run through your head when you're watching Ramsey tear into people:lol:

So many directions I could go with this :lol:

Honestly though, I'd rather read your bullshit rants then watch that show.

Kyle
06-17-2010, 05:32 PM
So many directions I could go with this :lol:

Don't read too much into "couldn't handle," that wasn't the point. I just know you have a low tolerance for unnecessary harshness and disrespect so I can't imagine your rage while watching Ramsey dehumanize those poor cooks.

secol
06-18-2010, 01:01 AM
the more HK i watch the more fake it gets to me. you can see it season to season having makeup added on till it sucks. i still watch it occasionally but when every challenge is a tie to the last dish/competitors you know it's staged for sure......watch some old ones and you'll see what i mean

ih8music
06-18-2010, 01:05 AM
I used to enjoy and avidly watched both shows for a few seasons, but I became bored of Ramsey's schtick. I've passed on the past few seasons of each show and don't really miss them.

secol
06-18-2010, 01:13 AM
i've turned to top chef/top chef masters.....not as fake imo and people who actually know how to cook with cool challenges

ih8music
06-18-2010, 02:26 AM
i've turned to top chef/top chef masters.....not as fake imo and people who actually know how to cook with cool challenges
yeah, been a huge fan of the Top Chef shows since the beginning - talk about reality tv done right...

King_Killah
06-20-2010, 07:34 AM
Egh, I got tired of the show. Ramsay's antics notwithstanding, I just don't get how these people with at least some background as cooks/chefs fuck EVERYTHING up.

Unless you've done it, it is easy to not understand. It is a stressful gig and easy to jack things up. Most of these people are fresh out of culinary school, so they have little experience to roll with.

Its not a bad show... Most people watch it because of Gordon. In reality though, he isn't even the "worst of the worst" when it comes to his harshnss. I've actually had a chance to sit and watch Mario Bartoli and Wolfgang Puck and both of those guys clearly own Ramsey when it comes to beating the hell out of his chefs/cooks. Emeril on the other hand is too nice.

keyboard
06-20-2010, 11:31 AM
Anyone watch Hell's Kitchen? I'm not a regular of many TV shows (pretty much just this and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia), but this one has had me hooked since season 1.Check out Community. I hate everything on television but this show makes my top 5 of all-time in its first season.

b_illin
06-22-2010, 10:55 AM
Check out Community. I hate everything on television but this show makes my top 5 of all-time in its first season.

I love Community

CayugaPosse
07-06-2010, 09:31 PM
Who do people who watch it think is gonna win it?

I'm writing this before watching tonight's episode on my PVR, so I may look stupid if he went tonight, but I think Jay(smurf) is going to win the show right now.

nyrblue2
07-06-2010, 10:41 PM
If I had to put money on it, I'd go with Jay, too. I think Benjamin has a chance, but has to be more consistent. Holli is kinda flying under the radar by not being loud and/or spectacular, but she hasn't been put up for elimination and hasn't even really screwed anything up yet. Plus she's hot, so it's good for ratings to keep her on.

BTW - I've seen the people from Canada use "PVR" - what does the P stand for? Personal? We use "DVR" in the States - Digital Video Recorder.

CayugaPosse
07-07-2010, 12:11 AM
If I had to put money on it, I'd go with Jay, too. I think Benjamin has a chance, but has to be more consistent. Holli is kinda flying under the radar by not being loud and/or spectacular, but she hasn't been put up for elimination and hasn't even really screwed anything up yet. Plus she's hot, so it's good for ratings to keep her on.

BTW - I've seen the people from Canada use "PVR" - what does the P stand for? Personal? We use "DVR" in the States - Digital Video Recorder.

Ya, P = Personal.

Holli I agree is the best of the girls, but I don't think any girls make it that far.

Kyle
07-07-2010, 10:12 AM
Slight spoilers if you haven't watched last night's episode yet.

I'm almost positive Holli is going to win this season. Call it a combination gut instinct plus an educated guess based on past seasons. She has slowly but consistently been raising her stock with Ramsey since the season began.

Ben has no chance. He has been completely torn down from the pedestal they put him on 3-4 episodes ago and I think he could be gone as early as next week. Ben is just version 2 of that overconfident chef who got knocked out a few weeks ago (Forget the name, might've been last week). Ramsey just hasn't been impressed with him at all for the last 4 hours of airtime.

Jay or Jason are my votes for #2, both being too close for me to call. Jason was clearly the star of the 2nd hour today but Jay wasn't bad by any means and has been better represented the last few weeks. Autumn is a total joke who will be gone soon and Ed is only a small step above, I think they will both be gone next week.

What a fucking crazy way for Nelka (sp?) to go out. Really felt bad for her. I'm so glad Fran (sp?) is gone, annoying bitch.

CayugaPosse
10-14-2010, 01:08 AM
Anyone watching the new season?

Any picks yet?

I'm watching through the 2nd of tonight's episodes(100th service) on my PVR, and I'm not sure if this is a "dark horse" pick or not, but my pick to win it is the oddly cute Jillian.

I think Gail's probably the front runner, but Jillian's kinda the Holli of last season, very quietly has not ever found herself in trouble or doing anything bad yet.

b_illin
10-14-2010, 09:21 AM
I like Russell despite his obvious roughness around the edges and temper. I also think Trev might be a darkhorse.

I thought Boris was the winner after the first episode though so what do I know!

nyrblue2
10-14-2010, 10:10 AM
I don't think there's really a favorite at this point. Good point on Jillian being like Holli from last season - kinda flying under the radar but never really screwing up. I also think Vinny has a decent shot.

b_illin
10-14-2010, 10:40 AM
Jillian isn't cute or hot so much as it's her mousy voice that sorta warms me up. Her tattoo eyebrows cool me right down though.

Sabrina is the one I want to bang...hate bang!

nyrblue2
10-16-2010, 03:47 PM
Jillian's voice is the worst part about her.

Contusion
10-17-2010, 04:19 AM
Jillian sounds half Mexican in her language, so I'd attribute that to the way she speaks. Something about her is hot, but not really. Hard to grasp it. Maybe she used to be in a gang before she found her calling in the kitchen? I'm enjoying Sabrina, who is just a flat out annoyance who looks good when she's not a chef, and gets into her makeup drawers, and after taking down the bun. The worst part about her being put up almost every time is that we have to hear the needy complaining to Chef Ramsay. Same speech, same desperation, same "her being saved." I could do without that.

And that Trev guy needs to go away. Make him disappear next, please! Just a smarmy, creepy, and douchey person. I'm sure he's fine in real life. <stares off into the distance> Maybe.

Lastly, this isn't a cooking show. It's not Top Chef or MasterChef(US version excluded.) Rarely do we see them avidly preparing their meals correctly during service, nothing too up-close like those other shows, or giving the audience tips on seasonings or anything really. It's all about the people. It's a fun cooking soap opera that takes the best bits and uses them for our entertainment. Can't complain about that. ;-)

"YOU SHUT YOUR FAT EAST COAST MOUTH!!"

keyboard
10-17-2010, 12:40 PM
http://www.areyouscreening.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/hk_41-jillian-kitchen_1679.rc.jpg

If that is her, you guys are fucked. :lol:

CayugaPosse
10-17-2010, 05:49 PM

That's her alright, I stand by my statement, I have no idea why she's cute whatsoever, if it's the mousy voice, the fact that she's kinda no nonsense or what it is, but I find her attractive for some reason.

keyboard
10-17-2010, 06:51 PM
YouTube - Jillian from Hell's Kitchen doesn't know who Ghandi is

That isn't a mousy voice, it's the voice of a cigarette smoker. :lol:

MrScientist
10-17-2010, 08:00 PM
YouTube - Jillian from Hell's Kitchen doesn't know who Ghandi is (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUNhEfhwyfQ)

That isn't a mousy voice, it's the voice of a cigarette smoker. :lol:

Wow...uhhh, yeah.

Contusion
11-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Anyone watch the last two episodes last night? Thoughts? Anyone a fan of Trev? :lol:

Snipes16
11-11-2010, 02:00 PM
http://www.areyouscreening.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/hk_41-jillian-kitchen_1679.rc.jpg

Uncle Leo :lol:

nyrblue2
11-11-2010, 03:30 PM
I was surprised that Vinny got sent home. Yea, he had a few shitty services in a row, but it seems like he has a lot more potential than most of the others.

I would probably pay $100 to punch Sabrina in the face.

pjm
11-11-2010, 03:56 PM
I was surprised that Vinny got sent home. Yea, he had a few shitty services in a row, but it seems like he has a lot more potential than most of the others.

I would probably pay $100 to punch Sabrina in the face.

I hope she stays as long as possible, she is the only one left that entertains me.

FlyGuy78
11-11-2010, 04:35 PM
I'm sorry but this has to be the worst year of chefs in the show's history. I don't think anyone deserves to win.

Kyle
11-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Right now the only 3 possible winners (IMO) are Trev, Sabrina, and Jillian. Russel is clearly panned out to be the next guy that HAD TO WIN but obviously won't. A potential sleeper could be Gale but I don't see anything from her aside from not sucking SOME nights. The fat one just sucks, Nona or whatever, she can't run a kitchen.

Sabrinas little "bye vinny" on his way out the door made me want to punch her manly face.

Kyle
11-11-2010, 05:32 PM
I'm sorry but this has to be the worst year of chefs in the show's history. I don't think anyone deserves to win.

You better be sorry, these are our sons and daughters you're talking about!

secol
11-11-2010, 10:14 PM
i wonder who goes psycho next episode, i still find it too scripted/corny now though

Contusion
11-17-2010, 05:48 AM
i wonder who goes psycho next episode, i still find it too scripted/corny now though

This. When Vinny went home it was all over for me. I enjoy the characters all for the sake of acting, but not for cooking. Vinny was there to cook. Or he was just the worst actor and they had to get rid of him. :lol:

I am still finding joy in watching the show, but as sheer shit entertainment, nothing more. The only way we're going to see a *real* cooking show is if HBO backs it with some truly unscripted lines, replete with hidden cameras.

I'm going with Jillian FTW. 2nd place "everyone wants to punch you right in the face" Sabrina.

Contusion
11-17-2010, 06:04 AM
Right now the only 3 possible winners (IMO) are Trev, Sabrina, and Jillian. Russel is clearly panned out to be the next guy that HAD TO WIN but obviously won't. A potential sleeper could be Gale but I don't see anything from her aside from not sucking SOME nights. The fat one just sucks, Nona or whatever, she can't run a kitchen.

Sabrinas little "bye vinny" on his way out the door made me want to punch her manly face.

I wouldn't let any of the remaining contestants into my home to cook for my family, let alone running an up-and-coming restaurant anywhere, in any country. Sad, yet entertaining, grouping this year. Maybe in a few years when tobacco is completely banned, they'll have us watch the players shoot heroin straight into their veins to get relaxed after a hard day's work with Chef Ram. :suicide:

ih8music
11-17-2010, 08:43 AM
I am still finding joy in watching the show, but as sheer shit entertainment, nothing more. The only way we're going to see a *real* cooking show is if HBO backs it with some truly unscripted lines, replete with hidden cameras.

do you watch Top Chef on Bravo? There's still a little bit of reality-TV drama, but for the most part it's about finding the best chef who can navigate through their various challenges.

secol
11-17-2010, 10:58 AM
yeah top chef seems more realistic same with chopped although that is a little iffy as well

Kyle
11-17-2010, 11:02 AM
Top Chef clearly has scripted moments but I'd say its a 75% food (or cooking)/25% bullshit ratio, vs 30% food/70% bullshit on Hells Kitchen. I'm just really not all that engaged by cooking so I prefer the entertainment value but if I were some cooking guru, I'd definitely be watching top chef. Much more legitimate show.

ih8music
11-17-2010, 11:18 AM
yeah top chef seems more realistic same with chopped although that is a little iffy as well
I watch Chopped also -- but it's much more of a game show than anything else. It's not really about who's the best or most skilled chef, but rather which chef can put out the least unappealing pile of food made with the most random ingredient combinations. Some of the baskets they have are just ridiculous -- crazy stuff like hot dogs for the dessert course, etc.

nyrblue2
11-18-2010, 10:57 AM
Thank fucking god Sabrina is gone.

Kyle
11-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Whatever the fuck that was that Russel served and got a score of 100 on, looked absolutely incredible. Possibly the most attractive looking food item I've ever seen in my life.:lol:

Glad Sabrina is gone also.

CayugaPosse
08-09-2011, 02:41 AM
This season is interesting...or maybe not.

Is it just me, or is Will the single most impressive person you've ever seen on the show?

Every week he's perfect, every week he actually helps his team out(tonight with Natalie on the scallops), every week he's a good leader, he's(as far as I can remember), never lost a challenge dish either.

At this point I'm willing to declare him the winner.

phaneuf6
08-09-2011, 07:59 AM

Is it just me, or is Will the single most impressive person you've ever seen on the show?

Every week he's perfect, every week he actually helps his team out(tonight with Natalie on the scallops), every week he's a good leader, he's(as far as I can remember), never lost a challenge dish either.

He's certainly been under the radar, a good thing on HK. I am not a fan of his leadership style but I'd declare him a favourite right now.

This season just highlights the value of drama in reality TV... Elyse should've been gone weeks ago and yet she's kept around for the entertainment value. She's a bitch, it gets unbearable to watch sometimes.

b_illin
08-09-2011, 01:17 PM

I've only watched 3 episodes, but Will is VERY impressive so far - Chef hasn't called him out once!

FlyGuy78
08-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Will is my favorite too and Elyse needs to get jumped by all of her teammates to set her ass straight! lol

nyrblue2
08-31-2011, 09:07 AM
I would love for Elyse to get punched right in her loud, annoying, purse-lipped, wide-jawed face.

Go Will.

CayugaPosse
09-01-2011, 03:11 AM
I can't remember the last time any one person has made me blindly hate them with as much rage as Elyse does.

I'm really feeling a Paul/Will end here. The big chick has an outside chance of getting there also.

b_illin
09-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Elyse has nine lives! (i fucking hate her so much...yet I want to bang her)

I think will takes it and for some reason I think tommy may make it to the finals. (my head says will/elyse)

CayugaPosse
09-13-2011, 04:23 AM
Still feels like this is destined to be a real anti-climactic end to the season.

Feels like there is absolutely no way it's not Paul and Will at the end.

The only real intrigue is which one of them wins it in the end at this point. Paul's done real well for himself lately.

b_illin
09-13-2011, 09:11 PM
It's Will's to lose...he's been good from start to finish with no fuck-ups

nyrblue2
09-20-2011, 08:39 AM
That was pretty surprising.

b_illin
09-20-2011, 06:30 PM
I feel bad for will...krupta's ineptitude fucked him. He should have taken elyse over tommy as well.

Good for paul...he's alright in my books. You have to think Will will get get a sweet gig somewhere after his performance over the course of the show.

Did anyone catch ramsay talking to elyse with the sous chefs ay the very very end? She was crying (of course) and he was encouraging her and saying she is really talented and (smiling and laughing) says ' you just need to stop being such a bitch!' :lol: