PDA

View Full Version : Mike Milbury

King_Killah
05-22-2010, 05:17 PM
I was under the impression that as an analyst, commentator, play-by-play guy, etc. for national games that it was your duty to be unbiased. My man Mr. Milbury was about as anti-Flyers as you could get.

phaneuf6
05-22-2010, 05:22 PM
I was under the impression that as an analyst, commentator, play-by-play guy, etc. for national games that it was your duty to be unbiased. My man Mr. Milbury was about as anti-Flyers as you could get.

He's an idiot anyways.

Dubz
05-22-2010, 06:05 PM
He's an idiot anyways.

ditto

keyboard
05-23-2010, 11:09 AM
My friend, who thinks hockey is one of the worst run leagues in all of sports, pretty much sums this situation up nicely. When you think of NFL, MLB, or NBA, the analysts are generally either really intelligent guys, or players who bring a "real" sense of the game.

In hockey, I don't know if it's because the audience is a bunch of drunk, dumb Canadian fucks, or because the players are all a bunch of dumb Canadians who never went to school, but we get the likes of Don Cherry and Mike Milbury. It's really sad. No one really talks about the game, except Hrudy, but he is surrounded by guys like Healy, who all babble at each other. If it were up to me, it'd be Hrudy and Ron MacLean all the time. Composed, intelligent, and generally trying to keep it relatively civil.

chicagohockey
05-23-2010, 05:04 PM
I wonder how much money it's going to take to remove his lips from the ass of the Sharks franchise. Some of the things he says you would think the SHarks were up 3-0.

Kyle
05-23-2010, 05:31 PM
My friend, who thinks hockey is one of the worst run leagues in all of sports, pretty much sums this situation up nicely. When you think of NFL, MLB, or NBA, the analysts are generally either really intelligent guys, or players who bring a "real" sense of the game.

In hockey, I don't know if it's because the audience is a bunch of drunk, dumb Canadian fucks, or because the players are all a bunch of dumb Canadians who never went to school, but we get the likes of Don Cherry and Mike Milbury. It's really sad. No one really talks about the game, except Hrudy, but he is surrounded by guys like Healy, who all babble at each other. If it were up to me, it'd be Hrudy and Ron MacLean all the time. Composed, intelligent, and generally trying to keep it relatively civil.

In different wording I've been preaching your friend's message for months around here. Hockey media in general is one of the biggest jokes in professional sports, from the replay crew to the commentary to the analysis. Completely depressing.

Motorcat
05-23-2010, 08:30 PM
Just out of curiosity - what do you all think of John Forslund ?

Chilly_Willy
05-23-2010, 11:27 PM
I know we have had this discussion before but I have watched some basket ball and foot ball pregame shows and analysis and I don't know that I would necessarily call that intelligent. People like John Sally and Terry Bradshaw make me feel dumber as they talk. I don't watch much of them so I know I am missing the good ones. But for sure hockey needs to get its act together.

MrScientist
05-23-2010, 11:39 PM
Just out of curiosity - what do you all think of John Forslund ?

I don't have a professionalism beef with him, but he's a shitty announcer. "Knee-em-EH" <--- case in point. Forslund + Eliot made me want to put a bullet in my head. Eliot is probably the biggest joke of any announcer/color guy. He and his partner at SS (some creepy looking guy) once spent an entire telecast bashing the Lightning organization because the Thrash were losing.

At least with Carolina all you get is Tripp Tracy's lame jokes :lol:

Hamsterkill
05-24-2010, 12:12 AM
I don't have a professionalism beef with him, but he's a shitty announcer. "Knee-em-EH" <--- case in point. Forslund + Eliot made me want to put a bullet in my head. Eliot is probably the biggest joke of any announcer/color guy. He and his partner at SS (some creepy looking guy) once spent an entire telecast bashing the Lightning organization because the Thrash were losing.

At least with Carolina all you get is Tripp Tracy's lame jokes :lol:
To be fair, I don't think any announcer gets Finnish names right.

Hockeyis#1
05-24-2010, 04:14 AM
He's an idiot anyways.
+1 I think they'd be hard pressed to find someone with a bigger history of hockey failure than Mike Milbury.

In different wording I've been preaching your friend's message for months around here. Hockey media in general is one of the biggest jokes in professional sports, from the replay crew to the commentary to the analysis. Completely depressing.I'm done the same. Actually I recall making a thread similar to this one I think.....

People like... Terry Bradshaw make me feel dumber as they talk. I don't watch much of them so I know I am missing the good ones. The Fox pregame show HAS to be the lowest rated of all of them. They probably have the most fun doing the show, but they all have nothing but "catchphrase analysis" to offer. ESPN's with Berman, Carter, Ditka, TJ, and Keyshawn is far and away the best show. Also, any segment on ESPN involving Merril Hodge is usually very well done and insightful

Chilly_Willy
05-24-2010, 08:36 AM
Anyone think we will see NHL on ESPN again?

two24four
05-24-2010, 10:13 AM
Anyone think we will see NHL on ESPN again?

I think so at some point in the next year or two.

Snipes16
05-24-2010, 02:53 PM
+1 I think they'd be hard pressed to find someone with a bigger history of hockey failure than Mike Milbury.

I'm done the same. Actually I recall making a thread similar to this one I think.....

The Fox pregame show HAS to be the lowest rated of all of them. They probably have the most fun doing the show, but they all have nothing but "catchphrase analysis" to offer. ESPN's with Berman, Carter, Ditka, TJ, and Keyshawn is far and away the best show. Also, any segment on ESPN involving Merril Hodge is usually very well done and insightful

Wow, that 1st statement I couldn't disagree with more strongly. If anything he's been a huge success when you consider that as a player he sqeezed the absolute most out of his ability. Heck, his signature moment as a player will forever be whacking that Ranger fan over the head with his own shoe.

Then he somehow talked Harry Sinden into letting him coach the Bruins. His 2 year regular season record was 90 - 49 with a Cup Finals berth. He then parlayed that gig into the GM job on the Isle which was disastrous no doubt but to even land that job in the 1st place when he obviously wasn't qualified to begin with should lay more at the feet of Islander ownership at that time than Milbury, no?

Nowadays he's still surviving in the game 35 years after he originally broke in collecting a paycheck as a somewhat controversial analyst. I'd say thats not too shabby considering he's never had to work a real job in his life despite having an Ivy League degree in his back pocket that he's never really had to use other than fleecing big dollars out of Islander ownership.

What an idiot :lol:

Hamsterkill
05-24-2010, 04:37 PM
I think so at some point in the next year or two.
Didn't the NHL just extend their contract with Versus last year?

EDIT: Ah, I guess it was only extended through this next season right now.

Kyle
05-24-2010, 09:01 PM
Wow, that 1st statement I couldn't disagree with more strongly. If anything he's been a huge success when you consider that as a player he sqeezed the absolute most out of his ability. Heck, his signature moment as a player will forever be whacking that Ranger fan over the head with his own shoe.

Then he somehow talked Harry Sinden into letting him coach the Bruins. His 2 year regular season record was 90 - 49 with a Cup Finals berth. He then parlayed that gig into the GM job on the Isle which was disastrous no doubt but to even land that job in the 1st place when he obviously wasn't qualified to begin with should lay more at the feet of Islander ownership at that time than Milbury, no?

Nowadays he's still surviving in the game 35 years after he originally broke in collecting a paycheck as a somewhat controversial analyst. I'd say thats not too shabby considering he's never had to work a real job in his life despite having an Ivy League degree in his back pocket that he's never really had to use other than fleecing big dollars out of Islander ownership.

What an idiot :lol:

Thanks for the little history lesson. I didn't know any of that really. Hlarious:lol:

Hockeyis#1
05-25-2010, 05:52 AM
Wow, that 1st statement I couldn't disagree with more strongly. If anything he's been a huge success when you consider that as a player he sqeezed the absolute most out of his ability. Heck, his signature moment as a player will forever be whacking that Ranger fan over the head with his own shoe.I don't consider someone with a .31ppg avg and essentially a goon a success. I'm sorry you do.

Then he somehow talked Harry Sinden into letting him coach the Bruins. His 2 year regular season record was 90 - 49 with a Cup Finals berth.He coached a team loaded with talent to the Finals...you don't say? His coaching record is still a losing one overall, despite that large head start. Melrose's coaching career has similar numbers. Anyone want to argue his coaching brilliance.

He then parlayed that gig into the GM job on the Isle which was disastrous no doubt but to even land that job in the 1st place when he obviously wasn't qualified to begin with should lay more at the feet of Islander ownership at that time than Milbury, no?Yes, It's more the Islanders ownerships fault that Milbury screwed up big time as the GM than it is Milbury's fault. What bulletproof logic that is :rolleyes:

phaneuf6
05-25-2010, 10:50 AM
I don't consider someone with a .31ppg avg and essentially a goon a success. I'm sorry you do.

He coached a team loaded with talent to the Finals...you don't say? His coaching record is still a losing one overall, despite that large head start. Melrose's coaching career has similar numbers. Anyone want to argue his coaching brilliance.

Yes, It's more the Islanders ownerships fault that Milbury screwed up big time as the GM than it is Milbury's fault. What bulletproof logic that is :rolleyes:

Snipes said he squeezed the most out of the ability he had. Personally, I consider anybody who works their ass off and makes it to the NHL a success.

And Snipes' point regarding his GM track record was that it's not his fault the Islanders ownership hired him to GM when he had essentially no credentials. It's their fault for bringing him in and putting him in that situation in the first place.

keyboard
05-25-2010, 11:28 AM
Snipes said he squeezed the most out of the ability he had. Personally, I consider anybody who works their ass off and makes it to the NHL a success.

And Snipes' point regarding his GM track record was that it's not his fault the Islanders ownership hired him to GM when he had essentially no credentials. It's their fault for bringing him in and putting him in that situation in the first place.Yeah. Milbury is a pathological opportunist, going where he has no business being. Including the crowd.

phaneuf6
10-09-2010, 07:49 PM
Milbury already driving me nuts on HNIC. Tonight he criticizes the Bruins for giving Chara a 7 year contract, saying that a 7 year contract in professional hockey is ridiculous. This coming from the man who gave Alexei Yashin 87.5 million over 10 years. :rolleyes:

Can someone get this guy to shut the fuck up?

madsci
10-09-2010, 08:16 PM
no kidding. and he doesn't offer analysis, he just rolls his eyes like everyone else is an idiot.

HNIC used to be great. Looked forward to it all week. Now I'd rather watch TSN. Way better.

Chilly_Willy
10-09-2010, 08:32 PM
Seriously, the man has no credibility I find it so hard to listen to him talk hockey over the airwaves. Maybe if he just take the points contrary to how he makes them he will get accurate information. On top of if being a non hockey intelligence he is so smug towards everyone.

chicagohockey
10-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Hypothetical question.

If you had to listen to Milbury or Mcguire for a whole game which would you listen to?

Blowing your brains out with a hand cannon is not an option.

phaneuf6
10-09-2010, 08:52 PM
Hypothetical question.

If you had to listen to Milbury or Mcguire for a whole game which would you listen to?

Pierre no question. At least he knows what he's talking about and isn't arrogant like Milbury.

two24four
10-09-2010, 08:52 PM
I have no idea why Milbury is even on HNIC, he should not be on at all, the new guy tonight brought way more to the table then Milbury did.

He's the only thing wrong with HNIC IMO.

McGuire at least know's his hockey and what he's talking about, I like McGuire, always have.

chicagohockey
10-09-2010, 10:31 PM
I can't stand either of them, everything out of McGuire's mouth sounds like whining to me. Maybe I'm spoiled with decent announcers in Chicago.

bearcats
10-09-2010, 11:39 PM
Hypothetical question.

niether.......I dislike both of them with a passion

milbury is too old school, he needs to accept the changes in the game....

but

mcguire is way over the top with his excitment and man crushes on various players every game...it's obvious what he wants...

Dubz
10-09-2010, 11:44 PM
Pierre is ok in my books...but i also like don cherry so:p

boredguy
10-09-2010, 11:55 PM
Better question is Milbury or Healy. Both are just horrible.

keyboard
10-10-2010, 08:39 AM
Better question is Milbury or Healy. Both are just horrible.Healy, he's not as rude. Milbury's got this righteousness about him that is so misplaced and ridiculous it's offensive.

phaneuf6
10-10-2010, 11:04 AM
Healy is an idiot though. Some of the shit he says is just stupid. I mean, it's so easy to sit there and criticize every player on the ice, every goaltender, when you've got video replay and a front row seat. But what the hell did you do in your career to allow you to do that Healy? He always makes fun of himself but then he goes and criticizes a goalie as if he would've done so much better.

two24four
10-10-2010, 11:07 AM
I will take Healy over Milbury 11 out of 10 times.

HNIC does not need Milbury, he's brings nothing but bitching to the table.

Chilly_Willy
10-12-2010, 07:21 PM
Darrin Mccarty just picked his nose during his analysis on Vs.

madsci
10-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Darrin Mccarty just picked his nose during his analysis on Vs.

Keepin' it real.

edit: still more interesting than what comes out of Milbury's head.

two24four
12-18-2010, 09:46 PM
Wow did Healy ever put Milbury in his place tonight on the Hot Stove :lol:Milbury looked some pissed when they showed him after.

WIS
12-18-2010, 10:01 PM
Wow did Healy ever put Milbury in his place tonight on the Hot Stove :lol:Milbury looked some pissed when they showed him after.
Yeah Ron MacLean apologized near the end there :lol:

two24four
12-18-2010, 11:12 PM
Yeah Ron MacLean apologized near the end there :lol:

You can tell Healy really does not like Milbury, he's gone after him a few times in the past, I wonder what's it's like when they are in the studio together.

WIS
12-18-2010, 11:30 PM
You can tell Healy really does not like Milbury, he's gone after him a few times in the past, I wonder what's it's like when they are in the studio together.
This past segment suggest they can't be in the same studio :lol: Healy was live via satellite :lol:

b_illin
12-19-2010, 12:53 PM
I don't mind Milbury, but that's why I like Healy!

toronto1979
12-19-2010, 03:14 PM
Didn't see it so I just Youtubed it. Wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, I was expected an argument.

Here it is for anyone who didn't see. It's right at the end. Start at the 6 minute mark if you don't want to watch the whole thing.

keyboard
01-09-2011, 06:42 PM
Instead of arguing his point in a more intelligent manner, we're treated to Milbury accusing anyone he can -- be it the panelists, league or Brad Stuart himself of being soft, not old school enough or just not seeing exactly what he's seeing.

http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2011/01/09/mike-milburys-television-act-is-getting-old/

Chilly_Willy
01-19-2011, 05:33 PM
Holy crap, what a tool. Don Cherry does not annoy me like he does a lot of people and I like his between periods segments but I understand his anti-fan base. Please never ever give Milburry his own show, in fact get him off the ones he is on. I don't think Milburry has the fans to support his own show does he?

Snipes16
01-20-2011, 01:54 PM
Holy crap, what a tool. Don Cherry does not annoy me like he does a lot of people and I like his between periods segments but I understand his anti-fan base. Please never ever give Milburry his own show, in fact get him off the ones he is on. I don't think Milburry has the fans to support his own show does he?

He has his own show with Brick here in Boston called the Instigators but it easily could have been called the Agitators.

He's the Rex Ryan of hockey analysts, nobody outside of Boston can stand him and most Bostonian's only keep a special place for him in their hearts based solely on the reason he beat a NY fan over the head with his own shoe.

He had us at hello with that maneuver :beer:

keyboard
02-26-2011, 08:57 PM
This fucking douche bag was over the top tonight.

WIS
02-26-2011, 09:02 PM
:lol::lol: about his mom too.

two24four
02-26-2011, 09:04 PM
He needs to go, I still don't know what he adds to the hot stove.

canuckthug
02-26-2011, 09:30 PM

I thought it was fuckin hilarious though! I dont condone killing or 'mom killing' in any way but that shit was funny. & Ron MacLean handled that well..pointing to the sky and saying 'can you feel the love !!':lol: