PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Guitar Festival

nyrblue2
04-25-2010, 09:22 PM
Anyone ever go this thing?

http://www.canadianguitarfestival.com/

July 30 to August 2nd this year and I'll be going. It's a half hour north of Kingston on Loughborough Lake, so I figure some of you guys are close enough to there to maybe have gone before. Granted, it's not like the styles that seem to be predominant on this board - it's ridiculously talented acoustic guitar players. There's also a "fingerstyle" guitar competition (no "traditional" picking allowed) that one of my friends is in. He's pretty good, but he's got his work cut out for him, lol.

YouTube- Canadian Guitar Festival 2009..Photographed by Barry Lovegrove

King_Killah
04-26-2010, 11:29 AM
Check out Vicki Genfan. She won a Guitar Players (the magazine) competition a few years ago. Her CD, La Guitara is pretty f'n incredible, too. www.vickigenfan.com (http://www.vickigenfan.com)

NYR - have fun there dude. I am sure there are a ton of incredibly talented guitar players there.

keyboard
04-26-2010, 02:23 PM
Good post, I think I might get a few friends together and hit this up.

nyrblue2
04-26-2010, 06:54 PM
This is the guy that won the competition last year. He'll be performing this year:

YouTube- Ewan Dobson - Through the Roof - Solo Guitar

It's $57 for a weekend pass or $100 if you stay on the camping grounds. I was gonna do the camping, but my friend would rather get a hotel in Kingston to make sure he's all rested for the competition.

kamboard - I'll look out for you - I assume you'll be the guy wearing $200 jeans and $300 sun glasses.

keyboard
04-26-2010, 08:15 PM
kamboard - I'll look out for you - I assume you'll be the guy wearing $200 jeans and $300 sun glasses.I'll probably be the only visible minority there, so your racist ass won't have no problem finding me. :beer:

Kyle
04-27-2010, 05:47 PM
This is the guy that won the competition last year. He'll be performing this year:

YouTube- Ewan Dobson - Through the Roof - Solo Guitar (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnxazCB_JPw)

It's $57 for a weekend pass or $100 if you stay on the camping grounds. I was gonna do the camping, but my friend would rather get a hotel in Kingston to make sure he's all rested for the competition.

kamboard - I'll look out for you - I assume you'll be the guy wearing $200 jeans and $300 sun glasses.

Dude, this guy is mindblowing, fucking amazing. I'm going to jam good to his music next time I trip, very Andy Mckee-ish style.

nyrblue2
04-27-2010, 09:27 PM
Dude, this guy is mindblowing, fucking amazing. I'm going to jam good to his music next time I trip, very Andy Mckee-ish style.
That's nothing like Andy McKee, except that they both play the guitar, lol. Well, maybe "nothing" is an overstatement, but I wouldn't really say they have similar styles.

Kyle
04-28-2010, 12:04 AM
That one song most certainly is right up McKee's avenue, I haven't taken the time to hear any others yet.

I'm honestly shocked that you're going so far to say they sound nothing alike. That song could easily be McKee's dude.

Kyle
04-28-2010, 12:14 AM
YouTube- Andy McKee - Art of Motion - Guitar - www.candyrat.com

Seriously can't see the glaring similarities? You're nuts :lol:

keyboard
04-28-2010, 01:02 AM
They are both on Candyrat, so they are similar in that regard, too.

Kyle
04-28-2010, 01:57 AM
Yeah, I'm not saying they're identicle guitar players, but they definitely fall into the same unique branch of music and both play with similar levels of technicality and skill.

nyrblue2
04-28-2010, 06:44 AM
You don't have to post his videos - I have his albums, lol.

Yeah, I'm not saying they're identicle guitar players, but they definitely fall into the same unique branch of music and both play with similar levels of technicality and skill.
I agree with everything you say here, but to me that doesn't mean they have the same style. McKee is a lot more melodic and closely related to classical guitar. Dobson has a more aggressive style rooted in bluegrass. Both are incredibly skilled technically in the "fingerstyle" guitar genre, but very different stylistically. I know we're debating semantics, but just my thoughts...

Kyle
04-28-2010, 01:10 PM
But again, I'm comparing one single song here man, I've said numerous times I haven't listened to any others so no need to dispute my claim as if I were saying all his music is Andy McKee style. Just that one specific song I could've easily believed was written by Andy (Albeit a bit off his norm, but still right up his alley). I'll have a more well thought out opinion of him when I give more of his music some time. And I wasn't trying to show you any new McKee, just naming the exact song that made me think of the comparison.

keyboard
04-28-2010, 01:38 PM
I agree with everything you say here, but to me that doesn't mean they have the same style. McKee is a lot more melodic and closely related to classical guitar. Dobson has a more aggressive style rooted in bluegrass. Both are incredibly skilled technically in the "fingerstyle" guitar genre, but very different stylistically. I know we're debating semantics, but just my thoughts...Snob.

nyrblue2
04-28-2010, 02:16 PM
But again, I'm comparing one single song here man, I've said numerous times I haven't listened to any others so no need to dispute my claim as if I were saying all his music is Andy McKee style. Just that one specific song I could've easily believed was written by Andy (Albeit a bit off his norm, but still right up his alley). I'll have a more well thought out opinion of him when I give more of his music some time. And I wasn't trying to show you any new McKee, just naming the exact song that made me think of the comparison.
Fair enough. I think most of Dobson's other stuff is pretty similar, while I think "Art of Motion" is more of an exception to McKee's style (a bit more fast-paced and aggressive). Again, just my opinion, which obviously isn't the same to everybody. I'm sure if I tried to compare guitar players in genres that I don't know much about, I probably wouldn't share the same opinion as others more familiar. And I'm not implying that you don't know anything about McKee or this genre (the fact that you're even familiar with McKee says something, considering that he's not "mainstream"). I'm no expert either, as I've only really listened to this type of stuff for a couple years - I just think they're different styles - right or wrong.

I was just kidding around with the "new McKee" comment - didn't come across right in text.

Snob.
Say what?

nyrblue2
07-30-2010, 10:32 AM
Starts tonight. Canada, here I come.

Doctego
07-30-2010, 10:58 AM
Starts tonight. Canada, here I come.

Have fun.

nyrblue2
08-03-2010, 08:24 AM
Got back sunday night after a good weekend of mind-blowing guitar. My idiot friend didn't pay attention to the instructions to be there @ 9am on Sunday to sign-in for the competition (it was specified in his registration confirmation email, on various signs at the festival and they even announced it the day before), so when he showed up at 9:30, he had already been replaced in the lineup. He was all pissy and we ended up leaving before the compeition ended, but it was still a good time overall.

Calum Graham (18 year old from Calgary) won this year after coming in second last year. I heard his first round songs before we left and yea...he's fucking good:

YouTube- Sunny Side Up - Calum Graham

The featured performers included Don Ross, Ewan Dobson, Antoine Dufour, Gareth Pearson, Jimmy Wahlsteen, Michael Manring, etc. Mindblowing talent and style. Hell, even a bunch of the guys in the competition and open mic portion were awesome, as well - Glenn Roth, Jason Checkla and plenty of other people whose names I didn't get.

nyrblue2
07-29-2011, 02:11 PM
Starts tonight, driving up right now. My friend plans to be there on time this year.