PDA

View Full Version : Flames Thread

b_illin
04-07-2010, 12:49 PM
http://thestar.blogs.com/thespin/

Disaster in Calgary (http://thestar.blogs.com/thespin/2010/04/disaster-in-calgary.html)

http://media.thestar.topscms.com/images/ea/4b/64da35b74b03b9e10d99c5219f04.jpeg JACK CUSANO/REUTERS Calgary Flames players, from left, Ales Kotalik, David Moss, Nigel Dawes and Eric Nystromto react at the end of their NHL hockey game against the San Jose Sharks in Calgary, April 6, 2010.The question last fall wasn't whether the Calgary Flames would make the playoffs. It was whether they could challenge San Jose and Chicago for the top of the Western Conference. Dominated by the Sutter clan from the front office to the coaching staff to the scouts to the players, this was as much about one family as it was about one team. That the Flames, managed by Darryl Sutter and coached by Brent Sutter, won't be playing any post-season matches this spring will likely have major repercussions that could render the team Sutter-less in short order.
Darryl Sutter started making bad trades in the winter of '09, picking up Olli Jokinen from Phoenix and giving up his 2010 first rounder in the process, and kept making them this year. The deal that sent Dion Phaneuf was awful, didn't produce a team turnaround and was made worse by a decision to sign Matt Stajan to a $14 million contract that even the doormat Leafs wouldn't have considered.
Jokinen was peddled to New York, which many viewed as addition by subtraction. The only problem was that Jokinen, at least, was an expiring contract. The Flames don't have to worry about the nearly useless Chris Higgins beyond this season, but they get to pay Ales Kotalik $3 million for each of the next two years, heavy dough for a player nearly as useless as Higgins.
As a trio of trades, the first Jokinen deal, the Phaneuf transaction and the second Jokinen represent a remarkably mediocre effort by Darryl Sutter to fix his roster. The decision to sign Jay Bouwmeester to a gigantic contract doesn't look great either given that Bouwmeester was good, but nothing close to great, as a Flame. He's got four more years at $6.6 million per coming and based on this season, is a stay-at-home defenceman without much offensive game.
Brent Sutter, eliminated in the first round of the playoffs two years in a row in Jersey, now misses them entirely.The aura he had as the best coach outside the NHL while guiding the Canadian national junior team to gold medals has completely evaporated.
Then there's Jarome Iginla, goal-less in his last nine games, a hero from the Vancouver Olympics but no hero in Calgary today. There are those who dream the Flames might flip Iginla to Boston for the Bruins top pick acquired from the Leafs, but given that the 33-year-old Iginla has three more years at $7 million per season, the Flames would probably have to throw something else into the deal to make the B's even think about doing it.
Yes, Boston, the NHL's lowest scoring team, needs goals. But the Flames were only one spot better on offence than Boston, and that was with Iginla. Logically, he wouldn't be able to make that much of a difference to the Bruins.
This is a mess in Calgary, and suddenly both teams in Alberta, the Oilers and Flames, have hit hard times. The Sutters might think they can patch things and get back into the playoffs next spring, but as currently constructed, this is a team without a present or a future.
The Oilers, likely with the top pick in the June draft, have a bushel of bad contracts. So their return to competitiveness won't be easy, either.

pjm
04-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Thanks for beginning the first post of the first official Flames thread with such grim news ;)

Castanagy
04-07-2010, 01:12 PM
that's a pretty rough blog...guy must have been pissed about the Flames missing the playoffs this year.

I highly doubt Iginla goes anywhere...but it would be interesting to see.

pjm
04-08-2010, 12:48 AM
Iggy will never go anywhere.

And if for some whack ass reason he does, i'm going with him.

two24four
04-08-2010, 01:03 AM
Burke is putting together another deal that would see the Leafs get Iggy for Finger, XLB, Primeau and Wallin :D;)

That way they really can be the Calgary Leafs.

secol
04-08-2010, 11:29 AM
Burke is putting together another deal that would see the Leafs get Iggy for Finger, XLB, Primeau and Wallin :D;)

at this point with the faith i have in darryl, i could see that happening :scared:.........ok maybe not but still :D

gogoayane
04-09-2010, 12:47 PM
I think the team is due for a major overhaul... starting with Regher, Bouweemester, or Iginla (all 3 with big contracts). I don't see them parting with Iginla yet though.

b_illin
04-09-2010, 01:20 PM

:lol::lol::lol:

two24four
04-15-2010, 12:25 PM
So Iggy said if he's not wanted in CGY anymore he would be fine with leaving, is this his way of saying he wants out?

secol
04-15-2010, 01:44 PM
he's not leaving lol. no way

canuckthug
04-15-2010, 02:05 PM
So Iggy said if he's not wanted in CGY anymore he would be fine with leaving, is this his way of saying he wants out?

I've heard Iginla say time after time, that he wants to stay in Calgary. This was after he played game 82 and then he said it again the next day. The GM and coach both said they want him there. The bigger question is are the Sutters gonna be around to make that call? Its only some fans in Calgary who were disappointed in the season that want Iggy out. I still think the majority of that fanbase appreciates his services.

Castanagy
04-16-2010, 09:13 AM
I have a feeling that if Iggy gets traded, he'll pull a Thornton and start producing like crazy in his new team.

Highly doubt he gets traded though...The Sutters can't afford another bad move.

canuckthug
02-20-2011, 10:00 PM
Thanks for beginning the first post of the first official Flames thread with such grim news ;)

First post may have been grim but it doesn't have to stay that way... It was however looking like a lost season for awhile (2 years running) but things have changed. I know their is a thread about Sutter and how the Flames have turned things but i wonder if Vancouver's position in the division, conference and league has raised the level of Calgary's play. Divisional rivals and all... im just saying, could be one of the factors..

The Flames are playing good hockey again. Its good to see and i was surprised, sorta shocked that you guys didnt sing the 'goodbye song' with 40, 000 + in attendance... or at least the 'Ole Ole song' to rub it in.. Montreal would have been singing that song being up 1-0...

4-0 , nothing exciting for outside viewers.. but good final for the Flames.
-horrible ice, no zamboni's ., wtf ??
-temperature was cold, somebody metioned chinooks a good possibility awhile back,, at least it didnt rain..

Kyle
02-21-2011, 10:08 PM
and how the Flames have turned things but i wonder if Vancouver's position in the division, conference and league has raised the level of Calgary's play. Divisional rivals and all... im just saying, could be one of the factors..

:lol: God, I don't think I've even reached that far in my history here to compliment the Wings. Good show.

pjm
02-21-2011, 10:41 PM
^^yeah, I don't see any connection between Vancouver's position and Calgary's push for the playoffs.

You can never count on a chinook in Calgary... we actually got really really lucky yesterday with the temp at -12C for the game. Two days earlier we were having daytime highs of -22C.

canuckthug
02-21-2011, 11:14 PM
:lol: God, I don't think I've even reached that far in my history here to compliment the Wings. Good show.

^^yeah, I don't see any connection between Vancouver's position and Calgary's push for the playoffs.

About a month ago, the Flames played b2b nights and the 2nd team was against Van in Van. The Canucks were the first place team at the time and the Flames were still low in the standings.. The flames won that game and went on a unbeaten streak after, undefeated in 9 or whatever..
Im not saying it was the sole reason for the turn-around but beating the Canucks in Vancouver had to give them a confidence boost and let them know the changes they made as a team were working...

Kyle
02-22-2011, 07:36 AM
Or maybe, the changes made were the kick in the ass the players needed. I highly doubt they needed a win vs Vancuver to take pride in their work. :rolleyes: They were having a humiliating season, recieved a brutal wakeup call in the form of the news, and they turned their game up to show they're a legitimate hockey club.

We get it, Vancuvers having a great year man.:lol:

canuckthug
03-20-2011, 10:05 PM
what a great game. flames had to settle for 1 point. They were down 3 nothing early 1st.. Kipper gets pulled and they battle back. take the lead on an Iginla goal in the 3rd.. Selanne scores, Game goes to OT and Bobby Ryan had another penalty shot in OT? (moments after iginla had his own break-a-way) chgorman>> what did you think of that Ryan call.. lol.
I only saw it once in real time. looked like a trip.. great game. \ in fact, all the games i watched today were more or less great. Nash Buff game had some late dramatics as well.:beer: playoff races = awsomeness :beer: