PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Winter Classic

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-28-2010, 03:34 PM
Pens vs Caps @ Heinz field -- that's the word. Obviously not official but apparently the NHL is pretty close to making the decision. We probably won't have official word until summer.

Sounds like a great match up to me ! :D

phaneuf6
03-28-2010, 03:37 PM
Pens vs Caps @ Heinz field -- that's the word. Obviously not official but apparently the NHL is pretty close to making the decision. We probably won't have official word until summer.

Sounds like a great match up to me ! :D

Sounds like too much America in the Winter Classic once again. :(

Hamsterkill
03-28-2010, 03:59 PM
Remember, its main purpose to generate American interest in the NHL anyway. I honestly think it might do even better if they held it at the Redskins' stadium down here instead of Pittsburgh. There's a lot of Caps love down here and it would make the game better accessible to prospective fans from the South. Not to mention it's got a larget capacity than Heinz.

EDIT: And, of course, less concern about messing up a team's NFL playoff schedule. Zing!

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-28-2010, 04:10 PM
I agree about the NHL's need to sell the game to the US market. The NHL also LOVES to hype up the Sid vs Ovie match up. . . The Pens just won the Stanley Cup and the Caps have a decent shot of doing it this year, so the choice seems perfect.

Of course, nothing is set in stone. . but it is more than likely going to happen (so I am hearing out of Pittsburgh).

MrScientist
03-28-2010, 04:18 PM
I agree about the NHL's need to sell the game to the US market. The NHL also LOVES to hype up the Sid vs Ovie match up. . . The Pens just won the Stanley Cup and the Caps have a decent shot of doing it this year, so the choice seems perfect.

Of course, nothing is set in stone. . but it is more than likely going to happen (so I am hearing out of Pittsburgh).

I personally would like to see NYR/NJ at Giants Stadium (perhaps the old one so there's no schedule conflict?), two fresh Winter Classic teams, solid name recognition for both players and the teams.

secol
03-29-2010, 12:28 AM
i think it's too soon for PIT to play again. and of course it being US only as well :(

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-29-2010, 12:37 AM
Yahoo jumping on board w/the speculation. An article was posted a few hours after my thread. I'm sure it's coincidence time and time again but sometimes I feel like those writers are stalking our message boards here at HI. . . :shifty:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=ap-penguins-winterclassic

phaneuf6
03-29-2010, 12:42 AM
Meh, this is a sore spot for Canadian fans. Its like a cell phone provider. New customers can get phone A for $99 dollars on a 3 year term, but existing customers have to pay $299 for the same phone to upgrade. What ever happened to rewarding loyal customers (fans)?

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-29-2010, 12:47 AM
It really sounds like there are a lot of people against the idea of Pitt getting to play in another WC game before some other teams get a first shot, American or Canadian.

Personally, when it comes down to it, I'm whatever about it all. I could live with or without it. It's a cool experience/game to watch but I would be more than happy to see some new teams and fans get a shot at the outdoor fun.

Hamsterkill
03-29-2010, 12:49 AM
Yahoo jumping on board w/the speculation. An article was posted a few hours after my thread. I'm sure it's coincidence time and time again but sometimes I feel like those writers are stalking our message boards here at HI. . . :shifty:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=ap-penguins-winterclassic
Puck Daddy on Yahoo actually had an article up about it before your thread, citing Dave Molinari from the PPG (or was it the Tribune?).

Hamsterkill
03-29-2010, 12:55 AM
Meh, this is a sore spot for Canadian fans. Its like a cell phone provider. New customers can get phone A for $99 dollars on a 3 year term, but existing customers have to pay $299 for the same phone to upgrade. What ever happened to rewarding loyal customers (fans)?
Yeah, I understand that. I actually thought they would try out that whole two Winter Classics thing, but alas...

Obviously Washington is the team the NHL wants to get into the WC, so it's pretty clear to me that Pittsburgh would be the easy choice for an opponent due to the ratings draw of Crosby v Ovechkin. I really think that's the only reason the Pens would receive consideration as the opponent against the Caps. Well, that and the fact that the Pens are the only rivalry the Caps have these days since their own division is so weak.

Then again, if Washington is supposed to be focal point, I still don't understand why it would be in Pittsburgh rather than DC.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-29-2010, 01:09 AM
Puck Daddy on Yahoo actually had an article up about it before your thread, citing Dave Molinari from the PPG (or was it the Tribune?).

I heard via word of mouth and the first thing I saw in writing even mentioning it was the link I posted but yeah I just checked the PPG website and you are right Molinari posted a little blurb about it and was probably the one responsible for setting the wild web fire in motion. I haven't seen the Puck Daddy bit, do you have a link ?

Here's the PPG he must have referenced --

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10087/1046280-61.stm

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-29-2010, 01:11 AM
Yeah, I understand that. I actually thought they would try out that whole two Winter Classics thing, but alas...

Obviously Washington is the team the NHL wants to get into the WC, so it's pretty clear to me that Pittsburgh would be the easy choice for an opponent due to the ratings draw of Crosby v Ovechkin. I really think that's the only reason the Pens would receive consideration as the opponent against the Caps. Well, that and the fact that the Pens are the only rivalry the Caps have these days since their own division is so weak.

Then again, if Washington is supposed to be focal point, I still don't understand why it would be in Pittsburgh rather than DC.

Seating capacity maybe? Not sure what the venue is like down there in D.C. where the Skins play . . ? Warmer weather may have something to do with it as well? Or perhaps just good old fashion better lobbying by the Pittsburgh folks.

Hamsterkill
03-29-2010, 01:17 AM
I heard via word of mouth and the first thing I saw in writing even mentioning it was the link I posted but yeah I just checked the PPG website and you are right Molinari posted a little blurb about it and was probably the one responsible for setting the wild web fire in motion. I haven't seen the Puck Daddy bit, do you have a link ?

Here's the PPG he must have referenced --

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10087/1046280-61.stm

Of course.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Report-Sid-vs-Ovie-at-Heinz-Field-Winter-Class;_ylt=AjVpsSPVi9eEfi5Rx6Pbyfp7vLYF?urn=nhl,23 0618

And yeah, it looks like that's the article he referenced.

Seating capacity maybe? Not sure what the venue is like down there in D.C. where the Skins play . . ? Warmer weather may have something to do with it as well? Or perhaps just good old fashion better lobbying by the Pittsburgh folks.
That's all I can really think of. Like I said, the Skins' stadium holds about 30,000 more than Heinz. And while snow is probably not likely down here (this past winter notwithstanding), it should be around the freezing point in early January I'd think.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-29-2010, 01:23 AM
Cool thanks Ham! I love reading the yahoo member comments. Some of them are hysterical. It's amusing to see how riled up people get. Guilty pleasure!

arexjay
03-29-2010, 02:50 AM
Chicago-Calgary could be sweet.

Maybe San Jose-Vancouver?

Detroit-Colorado.

two24four
03-29-2010, 08:24 AM
Habs vs Leafs would be sweet, but something tells we wont be seeing that anytime soon.

WIS
03-29-2010, 01:46 PM
Habs vs Leafs would be sweet, but something tells we wont be seeing that anytime soon.
And that is a travesty.

Chilly_Willy
03-29-2010, 09:21 PM
Seems like they could get a canadian team in there by now, its doesn't have to be a canada vs. canada matchup, for instance they coulda done Boston v Habs instead of Boston v Philly. If they are trying to keep it regional to fill the stadium I think they would be suprised at the number of Canadians that would make the trip down.

Random comment I love when they fly the jets over the stadium. That always gives me a thrill to see dem planes.

alias
03-31-2010, 08:12 PM
montreal vs. boston :D keep the canadians & americans happy while showcasing a good rivalry

Zangetsu
05-27-2010, 03:00 PM
I didn't know where else to put this, but Gary was on Mike Francesa's radio show just now, and he said that he would be announcing the venue and matchup for next year's Winter Classic tomorrow as part of his "state of the league" speech.

The rumors are of a Penguins/Caps matchup at Heinz Field.

WIS
05-27-2010, 04:58 PM
I didn't know where else to put this, but Gary was on Mike Francesa's radio show just now, and he said that he would be announcing the venue and matchup for next year's Winter Classic tomorrow as part of his "state of the league" speech.

The rumors are of a Penguins/Caps matchup at Heinz Field.
Cool matchup. Although I'm still awaiting for a Leafs game like that. I'm still waiting for the Leafs to be good too...

On a side note, I wouldn't worry about where to put threads. Start 'em on their own. I find it humorous how people complain at every new thread made. Plus, it's not like the Winter Classic is so popular to talk about that it needs an overall thread.

dw13
05-27-2010, 05:02 PM
Pens/Caps at Heinz would be pretty sweet. I'm sure Bonger would wish she was back in Pitt!

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-27-2010, 05:07 PM
http://forums.hockeyinformer.com/showthread.php?t=64880&highlight=winter+classic

I was all over this a couple months back. I think it happens.

Zang do ya mind if I combine the threads ? :D

two24four
05-27-2010, 05:13 PM
Yeah I remmeber talking about this awhile back.

two24four
05-27-2010, 05:29 PM
Sounds like there will be two in 2011, the Pens vs Caps one, plus Flames vs Habs at McMahon Stadium in Calgary.

The one in Calgary will be in mid Feb.

Zangetsu
05-27-2010, 05:34 PM
http://forums.hockeyinformer.com/showthread.php?t=64880&highlight=winter+classic

I was all over this a couple months back. I think it happens.

Zang do ya mind if I combine the threads ? :DGo for it.

I thought I remembered seeing a thread about the different potential matchups, but it wasn't on the front page when I heard the news on the radio.

Pens/Caps would be the matchup most Americans probably want to see, and we'll know tomorrow if they're going to get their wish. Anybody know if Gary's speech will be televised? Is this happening at a Cup Finals media day?

HABS_FrEaK
05-27-2010, 05:55 PM
I am so going to Calgary!

two24four
05-27-2010, 05:57 PM
I am so going to Calgary!

F*ck will that one be cold in mid Feb in Calgary.

HABS_FrEaK
05-27-2010, 05:58 PM
So worth it :D

phaneuf6
05-27-2010, 08:42 PM
Why the Habs and Flames? I guess Edmonton sucks..

pjm
05-27-2010, 09:07 PM
Good lord an outdoor game in Calgary in Febuary. I guess i'll have to go but damn it's gonna be cold.

HABS_FrEaK
05-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Out of curiosity I checked the stats for the temperature in February this year and got this

Maximum temperature: 8.3 ° C
Date of maximum temperature: 25 February 2010
Minimum Temperature: -17.3 ° C
Date of minimum temperature: February 6, 2010
Rainfall: 7.6 mm

Really not that bad...

alias
05-27-2010, 10:23 PM

well montreal & edmonton played the first outdoor game, I doubt they are going to do rematches this early in it's existence, especially with 2 Canadian teams.

pjm
05-27-2010, 10:28 PM
Out of curiosity I checked the stats for the temperature in February this year and got this

Maximum temperature: 8.3 ° C
Date of maximum temperature: 25 February 2010
Minimum Temperature: -17.3 ° C
Date of minimum temperature: February 6, 2010
Rainfall: 7.6 mm

Really not that bad...

It'll be ball-freezingly cold the day of the game, you can bet on it. :lol:

two24four
05-27-2010, 11:02 PM

Maybe they want to do something for the '89 teams who played in the Cup Final, that and one team from the West, one from the East.

Dubz
05-28-2010, 07:53 AM
Hopefully theres a chinook:lol:

kastil
05-28-2010, 12:54 PM
Oh I have to go to this game!

chicagohockey
05-28-2010, 01:00 PM
Maybe they want to do something for the '89 teams who played in the Cup Final, that and one team from the West, one from the East.

This I like. They should do out door games based on classic Stanley cup series. Obviously they all couldn't be that way otherwise certain teams would never get an outdoor games.

They should do a Colorado vs Phx one where they wear the Quebec and Winnepeg jersey's.

Hamsterkill
05-28-2010, 01:30 PM
Still think they'd have had better success if they held the game at the Redskins' stadium. Should be a great game nevertheless.

two24four
05-28-2010, 01:31 PM
Bettman officially announced all this today, plus more.

Jan 1st in Pitt, and Feb 20th in Calgary, called the Heritage Classic. He said the Caps will get an out door game in DC in the next 2-3 years.

Habs and Leafs play Oct 7th in Toronto, NHL is planning for a big festival at dundas square.

NHL Cap could go up about $2M next season.

Full schedule will be released on June 22nd.

Hockey Day in Canada Feb 12th, Hockey Day in America Feb 20th.

phaneuf6
05-28-2010, 01:36 PM
lol @ Hockey Day in America. Fuck off Bettman. :lol:

Dubz
05-29-2010, 08:55 AM
NHL Cap could go up about $2M next season.:cool:

told ya so:p

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
07-16-2010, 01:56 AM
The Penguins plan to introduce a new sweater early this fall, but it won't replace their current third one.

Not yet, anyway.

Team officials have decided to retain their powder-blue alternate sweaters for 2010-11, and expect to again use them in about 10 regular-season games.

However, they are working on a special one for the Winter Classic game against the Washington Capitals Jan. 1 at Heinz Field. That's not surprising, given that all six teams that participated in the first three Winter Classics have worn uniforms made for the occasion.

"The new jersey we unveil will be specially designed for the Winter Classic," said Tom McMillan, the team's vice president of communications. "That's become a Winter Classic tradition."

The Penguins' current alternate jerseys were first worn at the Winter Classic in Buffalo in 2008, and were adopted as the team's third sweaters after they proved to be extremely popular with fans. It is conceivable that the same will happen with the sweaters the Penguins will wear against the Capitals.
"It could become the third jersey in the future," McMillan said.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10197/1073110-61.stm#ixzz0tpH2hSsY

Rocklobster
07-16-2010, 08:29 AM
so the powder blue jerseys they have now (alternate jersey) were first worn in the 2008 winter classic. Now they want another jersey for this years winter classic?
seems overkill IMO

Hamsterkill
07-16-2010, 08:49 AM
so the powder blue jerseys they have now (alternate jersey) were first worn in the 2008 winter classic. Now they want another jersey for this years winter classic?
seems overkill IMO
It'll probably be another powder blue 'classic' jersey. Just a different design.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
08-26-2010, 05:05 PM
In conjunction with the Winter Classic, there will be a Dec. 30 doubleheader at Consol Energy Center featuring a college hockey game and an American Hockey League game.

The Penguins will play Washington Jan. 1 in the outdoor Winter Classic at Heinz Field. Two days before that, Robert Morris will play RIT at 3 p.m. in an NCAA game, followed by an AHL game between the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Baby Penguins and the rival Hershey Bears, Washington's affiliate.

One ticket will be good for both Dec. 30 games. Further ticket information is not available.

Shady6833
09-02-2010, 04:29 PM
the Calgary Hitmen are jumping all over this outdoor opportunity. First outdoor WHL game..... Against Regina haha so that will be an absolute beatdown.

EDIT: I still think it should be Nashville/Phoenix here one of these years. That's who Bettman wants to sell this garbage too so that's where it should be.

pjm
09-04-2010, 07:53 PM
EDIT: I still think it should be Nashville/Phoenix here one of these years. That's who Bettman wants to sell this garbage too so that's where it should be.

You need ice for an outdoor game....

Hamsterkill
09-04-2010, 08:59 PM
You need ice for an outdoor game....
DC's pretty much as far south as possible for the Winter Classic to go... and even that's risky to do.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
10-28-2010, 03:00 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs772.snc4/67255_10150108237913765_13732078764_7577030_193418 8_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs948.snc4/74190_10150108237953765_13732078764_7577033_763395 2_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs776.snc4/67629_10150108237933765_13732078764_7577032_420552 1_n.jpg

chicagohockey
10-28-2010, 03:51 PM
We'ere only good looking woman allowed to be around Staal without a camera?

madsci
10-28-2010, 03:53 PM
As hockey blogger Down Goes Brown points out, the NHL may be the only business in existence that changes to completely different, temporary branding for its biggest advertising opportunity each year.

:wtf:

secol
10-28-2010, 05:19 PM
We'ere only good looking woman allowed to be around Staal without a camera?
haha that is weird......or the pittsburgh area has some nice reporters :)

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
10-29-2010, 01:34 AM
haha that is weird......or the pittsburgh area has some nice reporters :)

Hot reporters... camera man leaves something to be desired! :(

Jersey itself, ehh... pretty much what most of us expected. I'd take one as a holiday present but won't be dishing any of my own $ out for one. :p

MrScientist
10-29-2010, 10:26 AM
Criticisms: The nameplates look fucking stupid, why would they not do them in the same style as the numbers? It reminds me of the jerseys the Wings use for pre-season games with the two dollar nameplates. The stripes don't look out of place on the bottom but there are way too many on the arms. Egh. Other than that they look nice and will probably look good during the game.

Rocklobster
10-29-2010, 12:16 PM
I dislike the jersey and like the old ones better.

secol
11-17-2010, 01:30 AM
most expensive heritage classic ticket @ stubhub is over 10k

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Lemieux to skate in Winter Classic alumni game

sweeet!!

The chance to play with Lemieux is already bringing out the stars. Hall of Famers Paul Coffey (http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8446117), Ron Francis (http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8446951) and Bryan Trottier (http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8451965), along with recently retired Bill Guerin (http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8456464), have already signed on to play for the Pittsburgh Penguins (http://penguins.nhl.com/) alumni team, which will take on an alumni team from the Washington Capitals (http://capitals.nhl.com/) on Dec. 31. The Caps’ team will be led by Peter Bondra (http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8445575).

Full rosters for the Penguins and Capitals alumni will be announced soon.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=545948&navid=DL|NHL|home (http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=545948&navid=DL%7CNHL%7Chome)

Rocklobster
12-10-2010, 04:10 PM
fucking eh! that's awesome.:beer:

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-11-2010, 03:22 PM
Hell ya that is gonna be something that is bitter sweet.

Don't forget the HBO series starts up soon. Next Weds I believe. With the likes of Geno and Ovechkin and others, it's bound to be at the very least, entertaining. I'm super curious to see what they've got in store for us. Love how they are handling the classic affairs this year. Top notch, so far. :beer:

Here is a link to the specifics.

HBO Sports' 24/7 Penguins/Capitals: Road to the NHL Winter Classic debuts Dec. 15, exclusively on HBO

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=545839

nyrblue2
12-13-2010, 04:50 PM
This HBO series probably couldn't have come at a worse time, given the recent play of PIT and WAS. AO and the Caps would probably be a lot more entertaining if they were winning and were in a good mood. I have to think that this losing streak would put a damper on their personalities.

Crosby is boring as all hell, regardless, so no big loss there...:p

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-15-2010, 04:54 AM
ehh... I agree. Could have come during better/more competitive times for sure. But how can you predict that ??

Either way, hated rivalry.

Fuck da Caps. Pens baby. All day.

Hella looking fwd to this.

YouTube - 24/7 Penguins Capitals: Road to the NHL Winter Classic Trailer (HBO)

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-16-2010, 10:53 PM
Coach Boudreau sure likes to use the word fuck. Geeesh.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-17-2010, 03:35 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs714.snc4/63406_10150141914218765_13732078764_8091859_629870 6_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1334.snc4/162602_10150141914258765_13732078764_8091862_60124 10_n.jpg

alias
12-18-2010, 06:04 PM
Lemieux to skate in Winter Classic alumni game

sweeet!!

The chance to play with Lemieux is already bringing out the stars. Hall of Famers Paul Coffey (http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8446117), Ron Francis (http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8446951) and Bryan Trottier (http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8451965), along with recently retired Bill Guerin (http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8456464), have already signed on to play for the Pittsburgh Penguins (http://penguins.nhl.com/) alumni team, which will take on an alumni team from the Washington Capitals (http://capitals.nhl.com/) on Dec. 31. The Caps’ team will be led by Peter Bondra (http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8445575).

Full rosters for the Penguins and Capitals alumni will be announced soon.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=545948&navid=DL|NHL|home

just saw this. definitely very cool! they should do this for all future outdoor games (where the teams have an alumni anyways....could you imagine a Calgary vs. Nashville alumni game? only slightly lopsided :p)

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-19-2010, 03:12 AM
heck yeah.

24/7 was awesome.

Loved the rawness of it all.

Cracked me up when some of the Pens hung around during a team meal and moved all of Letestu and Lovejoy's furniture out of their hotel room and into the hallway. :lol:

10, 20, 30 years old... boys will always be boys.

EDIT:

No F bombs, as this version is edited, plenty of BEEEPS though.

Anyway, here is episode 1 for all of you who don't get HBO or happened to miss it.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Video-Watch-full-first-episode-of-HBO-s-24-7-Pe?urn=nhl-297550

secol
12-19-2010, 12:51 PM
after semin crosscheck

ovechkin: well he probably has sensitive skin, no?

:lol:

secol
12-19-2010, 03:23 PM
http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip391450#clip391450

WIS
12-20-2010, 02:52 AM
heck yeah.

24/7 was awesome.

Loved the rawness of it all.

Cracked me up when some of the Pens hung around during a team meal and moved all of Letestu and Lovejoy's furniture out of their hotel room and into the hallway. :lol:

10, 20, 30 years old... boys will always be boys.

EDIT:

No F bombs, as this version is edited, plenty of BEEEPS though.

Anyway, here is episode 1 for all of you who don't get HBO or happened to miss it.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Video-Watch-full-first-episode-of-HBO-s-24-7-Pe?urn=nhl-297550
Very cool. I really enjoyed it. Thanks for posting.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-20-2010, 04:18 PM
n/p. They did an amazing job with the pilot, every hockey fan should watch this shit.

I will post links to the other 3 if/as I find them.

eykwingnut
12-23-2010, 11:29 AM
anyone know where i can get episode 2 online?

mr.pitiful
12-23-2010, 03:56 PM
anyone know where i can get episode 2 online?

the torrent is out. i found it on piratebay. didn't find any streaming though.

secol
12-24-2010, 03:51 PM
cut into 4 parts uploaded by this guy

http://www.youtube.com/user/i7CJB

habsfan1
12-24-2010, 04:34 PM
Great job by the NHL and HBO on the 24/7 series, it even has casual hockey fans like ESPN's Bill Simmons gushing over it. This series alone is going to bring in a lot more fans. I've got it PVR'd myself and have watched he first half of the first episode so far and it is very well done.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-24-2010, 04:55 PM
Yeah I am really enjoying the 24/7 series. I had a feeling it would be awesome. Great game last night between the Pens & Caps. We see action like that on New Years day and this entire experience will have just been incredible. The alumni game is a real sweet bit of icing on this cake as well.

Kind of boring and nerdy but here is a live webcam of Heinz field where you can follow the progress of the ice rink. Not something you wanna sit and watch for 3 hours straight but probably cool to check in every once and a while and see how different things look. :yes:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10358/1113280-61.stm

two24four
12-27-2010, 09:48 PM
Uh oh, they are calling for rain maybe and a high of 12 on Saturday in PIT, that's not good.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-28-2010, 03:18 AM
Yeah there has been internal talk about pushing game time back to later in the day if weather would be more favorable. Stay tuned.

two24four
12-28-2010, 10:32 AM
Yeah there has been internal talk about pushing game time back to later in the day if weather would be more favorable. Stay tuned.

I heard that as well, something about maybe playing the game at 8pm, and if they cant play the game at all on Saturday they might just have to play it another day inside.

Hamsterkill
12-28-2010, 01:06 PM
I heard that as well, something about maybe playing the game at 8pm, and if they cant play the game at all on Saturday they might just have to play it another day inside.
They'd have to refund a hell of a lot of tickets in that case...

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-28-2010, 03:47 PM
Yeah I think they are saying the game can be played up until an 8pm puck drop but anything after that and they will need to push it to another date. The Nhl sure as hell doesn't want to compete with the NFL on Sunday . . . and moving it indoors? My god. What a tickets and public relations disaster that would be. Esp. for how hefty the price has been on a ton of these tickets.

Let's just keep our fingers crossed and hope the hockey gods give us a little break here. Weather talk leading up to the Winter Classic. Nothing new. And so far every single one has gone on without a hitch.

Jesus turned water into wine.. Surely Mario Lemieux can turn a little rain into snow. Come on.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Time elapsed and complete with holiday cheer. This is kind of really awesome.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=14&id=89016

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-28-2010, 04:35 PM
Fucking sweet ass WC promo! :heart:

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=14&id=88666

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-30-2010, 06:25 PM
Btw you guys if any of you are interested in watching Lemieux and the Pens/Caps Alumni game it will be aired live online at the Pens official website Friday from 9am-11am. Don't think it's gonna be on television anywhere. Cheers.

Fans can watch the alumni game live on pittsburghpenguins.com or listen live on Penguins Radio online or via the Pens Mobile app.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=547796&navid=DL|PIT|home

Doctego
12-30-2010, 06:34 PM
Love the 24/7 but man am I sick of seeing that cheesy stache that Crosby is sporting.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-30-2010, 07:37 PM
Love the 24/7 but man am I sick of seeing that cheesy stache that Crosby is sporting.

Omg I know. Awful. :lol:

On the bright side of being blanked against the Isles, the stache will probably be shaved before the winter classic game, if it hasn't been already. It was a streak/superstition thing.

Doctego
12-30-2010, 10:50 PM
Omg I know. Awful. :lol:

On the bright side of being blanked against the Isles, the stache will probably be shaved before the winter classic game, if it hasn't been already. It was a streak/superstition thing.

Figured as much and hoping.:fingersx: Who would have thought that the Isles would break the streak??

two24four
12-30-2010, 11:11 PM
Wow, was Lovejoy's face ever messed up.

Have to laugh at Crosby's voice cracking when he's yelling at the ref.

toronto1979
12-31-2010, 02:56 AM
Wow, was Lovejoy's face ever messed up.

Have to laugh at Crosby's voice cracking when he's yelling at the ref.

Yeah Lovejoy looks like the elephant man. Gross!!!

And glad to hear Crosby dropping the f-bombs on the ice with the refs. He's human afterall.

I wonder if pushing the game to 8pm will affect the over/under on the game? In the past the games have been low-scoring affairs (if memory serves correctly). But if the goalies have to deal with the glare of a sunset, or darkness, we could see A LOT of goals sneak past them in the poor lighting. If the game gets pushed back, take the over! :beer:

Hamsterkill
12-31-2010, 07:29 AM
It's Heinz Field. It'll be well lit even if it's played at night.

alias
12-31-2010, 11:04 AM
Yeah Lovejoy looks like the elephant man. Gross!!!

And glad to hear Crosby dropping the f-bombs on the ice with the refs. He's human afterall.

I wonder if pushing the game to 8pm will affect the over/under on the game? In the past the games have been low-scoring affairs (if memory serves correctly). But if the goalies have to deal with the glare of a sunset, or darkness, we could see A LOT of goals sneak past them in the poor lighting. If the game gets pushed back, take the over! :beer:

There would not be a glare. The sun will have been set for hours by 8pm.

two24four
12-31-2010, 01:53 PM
Sounds like they will be pushing the game back to 8pm for sure.

So what does CBC do now? haha, Leafs vs Sens at 7pm Winter Classic at 8pm, I bet they are going nuts with what to do.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-31-2010, 03:24 PM
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=547935&navid=DL|NHL|home

Smiles all the way. 2 points for Lemieux today.. so many memories. That was pretty fun to watch!

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-31-2010, 03:37 PM
Mustache boy shootout @ Heinz. :lol:

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=14&id=89911

Speaking of which, Sid is baby smooth once again :yes:

Loving all of this extra footage and coverage. It's a super fun time to be a Pens/hockey fan :D

two24four
12-31-2010, 04:56 PM
It's now an 8pm start for sure.

Pierre LeBrun put this on twitter.

Ovechkin: "Ice was not that good. But they still have 24 hours."

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-31-2010, 05:16 PM
It's now an 8pm start for sure.

Pierre LeBrun put this on twitter.

Yeah I got a text from the Pens confirming it will be an 8pm puck drop. Much better time anyway. 1pm is too early and it would have been 10am out here on the West Coast. Yuck.

two24four
01-01-2011, 01:05 PM
What a game to make a comeback in, J. Staal is back in tonight for the Pens.

Watching 24/7 these past few weeks, when they have showed Staal from time to time, he looks bigger, which is scary.

two24four
01-01-2011, 01:45 PM
For those looking to watch the Winter Classic on CBC tonight, here are there plans now with the change in time.

Elliotte Friedman twitter.

HNIC Tonight: 630pm ET/330pm PT. Everyone gets first period TOR/OTT. Then, Ontario stays and everyone else goes to WASH/PIT...

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
01-01-2011, 02:17 PM
What a game to make a comeback in, J. Staal is back in tonight for the Pens.

Watching 24/7 these past few weeks, when they have showed Staal from time to time, he looks bigger, which is scary.

Had a feeling after he lost the shootout and was forced to run up the bleachers at Heinz that he was good to go :lol:

It will be a huge boost to have him back out there tonight and going forward. Here's to hoping he can stay healthy! :beer:

alias
01-01-2011, 03:05 PM
For those looking to watch the Winter Classic on CBC tonight, here are there plans now with the change in time.

Elliotte Friedman twitter.

so if youre in ontario you cant watch the game?

two24four
01-01-2011, 03:08 PM

Guess not, it's on NBC though.

WIS
01-01-2011, 03:13 PM
Yeah, you'll be able to, but on NBC.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
01-01-2011, 05:35 PM
I wonder if the prime time start tonight has good ratings etc.. if the NHL might not consider making all the WC games a late start. Personally, I like the late start way better than a 1pm puck drop. Esp being on the West Coast where it would be 10am.

alias
01-01-2011, 05:53 PM
I wonder if the prime time start tonight has good ratings etc.. if the NHL might not consider making all the WC games a late start. Personally, I like the late start way better than a 1pm puck drop. Esp being on the West Coast where it would be 10am.

I think the only way they stick with the 7/8pm start is if there are no other games scheduled for that time. I think they want as many people as possible watching the Winter Classic.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
01-01-2011, 06:26 PM
pregame show online --

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=616&id=89341

Go Pens!

Hockeyis#1
01-01-2011, 08:53 PM
God I hate it when they try and do different camera angles from above or from blimp view or whatever. Just show the damn game.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
01-01-2011, 08:57 PM
God I hate it when they try and do different camera angles from above or from blimp view or whatever. Just show the damn game.

Really ? I like them. It's something unique and different. Really highlights the feel and atmosphere of playing outdoors in a stadium. Very cool.

Staal looks great out there.

habsfan1
01-01-2011, 09:02 PM

I hate them too, you can't see how the game develops, you just get a glimpse. Leave that shit for replays and that great HBO series.

Hockeyis#1
01-01-2011, 09:07 PM
I hate them too, you can't see how the game develops, you just get a glimpse. Leave that shit for replays and that great HBO series.
Atleast if they do it, have it be well done and not so damn choppy. It's like the guy in the control room just learned about that angle and was like "Well shit let's use it, who cares if it's not zoomed in or if we have no idea how it'll turn out, I could be a pioneer here!!!"

phaneuf6
01-01-2011, 10:30 PM
This game is just a disaster. What a joke.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
01-01-2011, 11:06 PM
I like how they tried to avoid the weather by pushing the game back 7 hrs and then still dealt with rain the entire 3rd period. Oops.

two24four
01-01-2011, 11:17 PM
I like how they tried to avoid the weather by pushing the game back 7 hrs and then still dealt with rain the entire 3rd period. Oops.

Yeah and yet it did not rain all afternoon in PIT.

Snipes16
01-01-2011, 11:26 PM
Still not sure what was more painful to watch over the last 24 hours...Dick Clark slurring the countdown and desperately looking for a pitcher of water right after or Franco and Bettis missing the empty net from 30 feet away between periods

Tough call

canuckthug
01-02-2011, 02:29 AM
This game is just a disaster. What a joke.

Yeah, i thought the game was boring, no flow and did not live up to any of the HBO/commercial hype. Maybe it was the rain but i say it was one of the worst outdoor classics and for some reason Pj Stock and the guys on NHL network called it a great game!?! I thought the one scrap was good and the last second fiasco at the end had some emotion but too little too late and overall not a good game. Hockeyis#1, I did not mind the camera angles on NBC, the shots from the blimp were pretty cool IMO and i like how they switched things up. I also gotta say the one hit on Crosby at the end of the 2nd looked like a cheapshot. He didnt touch the puck, it was a headshot and it was late . I thought for sure after hitting the #1 superstar the game would pick up but not really.

Still not sure what was more painful to watch over the last 24 hours...Dick Clark slurring the countdown and desperately looking for a pitcher of water right after or Franco and Bettis missing the empty net from 30 feet away between periods

Tough call

lol, i caught some of the Dick Clark New Years special with Ryan Seacrest and i couldnt agree more.. It was brutal/painful. Only watched a few minutes of it because it was too unbearable... the guy can barely speak... why is he still hosting?! Dick Clark makes me want to join the HI deadpool...

Speaking of horrible puck skills, TSN did the million dollar shootout at the world juniors 2 nights ago and the shooter was partly deaf and it was just bad tv. He said he hit 18 outta 20 pucks in practice... yeah right. Comparing that shooter to Bettis, you;d think "the bus" was a former NHL player, Franco was awful though.

CayugaPosse
01-02-2011, 02:51 AM
I want Habs_Freak to respond to this thread a year and a half from now so he can back me up here...I was watching the game/fights with a few friends who work in sports broadcasting, and I can say there is one reason anyone feels that game was shitty and that reason is...

NBC.

In every concievable means possible, they fucked up the broadcast.

The main center ice camera was WAY too far away from the ice. Either zoom the fucking camera in, or else build a little scaffold to put the cameraman on rather than sitting him in the stands all the way back from the ice surface. The camera was redicuously far away, and even had they zoomed in to make a normal hockey center ice shot they still would have looked like they were moving slower than they were(perspective changes depending on distance of the camera), nevermind the camera actually being out too far as well.

The other thing that made it even worse still, was the two far away cameras(the zipline camera over the ice, and the blimp camera) were used WAAAY too much during the broadcast of actual live play. If it's a replay, fine. If it's establish shot, fine. We're watching live game action from a mother fucking blimp as a goal is being scored, get your shit together NBC my god. As if the distance from the ice wasn't already a problem to the look of the game, now we're in blimps, or struggling to keep up with the play in the stupid zipline camera giving asenine views of the game that no one in their right mind would actually enjoy.

Anyway, ya, sorry I know that may not have jumped out, but the absolutely horrible quality of tonight's broadcast was a HUGE point of contention during our viewing.

Oh, almost forgot. When you're on the fucking ice interviewing people(what the fuck is with that by the way?), try asking them something worth while. The first question was always "how does it feel to be playing in the winter classic?", followed by a few other questions that were essentially the exact same question..."what does it mean to be playing on heinz field?" etc.

I normally like NBC broadcasts, but the producer and director of this one should both be shot.

pjm
01-02-2011, 03:23 AM
^^ Yeah, I ended up having to choose NBC to watch it in HD. The game itself looked like a good game but god the coverage was sloppy

Rocklobster
01-02-2011, 11:50 AM
christ you people want some cheese with your wine?

I thought the coverage was fine. wtf do you expect from an outdoor game. It was a makeshift rink in a football stadium. I thought the zipline cams worked well and on my big screen tv the main camera looked fine. lol I had no problem with the game other than it was over hyped.

dw13
01-02-2011, 11:55 AM
Bunch of babies. Watch the game and shut up. No doubt it was shitty but owell.

two24four
01-02-2011, 12:25 PM
I watched this game on both NBC and CBC, not being biased here, but CBC did a way better job IMO.

phaneuf6
01-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Cayuga hit it all on the head in terms of production.

Add to that terrible play-by-play and colour from the usual NBC team, explaining every little facet of the game. I'm sure even the rookie hockey fans yesterday could figure out that the 'C' on Crosby's jersey meant captain... all they did was plug plug plug... the ice conditions were "great" etc, even as the game progressed, whereas you switch over the CBC and the ice conditions were "worsening", etc. Some truth at least from them!

Add to that again the terrible conditions and it just makes for a bad, bad game. You're trying to market the game? Fine, put the Pens vs the Caps. They did that, great. Crosby and OV in the same game, market your strengths, nice. But when the ice is that bad, and the conditions are like that, it makes for TERRIBLE hockey. OV looked like an ECHL 4th liner out there at times, and Crosby couldn't even stickhandle down the ice. It's like a company trying to advertise their best product on The Shopping Channel and the having the product not work on live TV. It may be a great product, but that's not what people are seeing.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
01-02-2011, 01:44 PM
The hype and build up was definitely better than the game itself. Oops.

Hockeyis#1
01-02-2011, 02:12 PM
The hype was great, and the game was ok, but the ice conditions were terrible, the rain was bad, and NBC managed to screw up pretty much everything they did. The commentary, the camera angles, the interviews, etc.

Anyone see the ratings for the game?

Hamsterkill
01-02-2011, 02:42 PM
The atmosphere for the game is the selling point for the WC. Everyone agreed that the Buffalo WC was a great success despite bad ice conditions for fancy moves with the snow coming down there. Yes, it wasn't as bad as the rain was making it yesterday (which only Pierre McGuire was insisting wasn't a bad thing -- and let's face it, Pierre sucks).

NBC treats the game as a novelty, which it is, especially in bad weather. That's the reason for the use of all the dumb camera angles and the reason the studio team was being Madden-esque.

All in all, it was fine... Except the Caps won. That was not fine. That sucked.

Hamsterkill
01-02-2011, 02:47 PM
Anyone see the ratings for the game?
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/01/02/tv-ratings-saturday-primetime-nhl-winter-classic-leads-nbc-to-new-year-win-with-young-adults/76953

phaneuf6
01-02-2011, 03:01 PM
The atmosphere for the game is the selling point for the WC. Everyone agreed that the Buffalo WC was a great success despite bad ice conditions for fancy moves with the snow coming down there. Yes, it wasn't as bad as the rain was making it yesterday (which only Pierre McGuire was insisting wasn't a bad thing -- and let's face it, Pierre sucks).

NBC treats the game as a novelty, which it is, especially in bad weather. That's the reason for the use of all the dumb camera angles and the reason the studio team was being Madden-esque.

All in all, it was fine... Except the Caps won. That was not fine. That sucked.

The whole NBC team was being like that, not just Pierre. Plug plug plug. I can understand trying to be positive to sell the game, but there's a point where you just have to face the facts.

The one thing that really sucks about the WC is that it counts as a regular season game. Conditions should not dictate a game. All you had to do was switch between one of the other games on last night and the WC to see the drastic effect the weather and ice conditions were having on the game.

If you want to do the game as a novelty thing, do it for the All Star game. When 2 points are on the line though I don't think it's fair to put two teams into that situation.

two24four
01-02-2011, 03:06 PM
Dont forget there is another out door game this season in Calgary.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
01-02-2011, 03:09 PM
The whole NBC team was being like that, not just Pierre. Plug plug plug. I can understand trying to be positive to sell the game, but there's a point where you just have to face the facts.

The one thing that really sucks about the WC is that it counts as a regular season game. Conditions should not dictate a game. All you had to do was switch between one of the other games on last night and the WC to see the drastic effect the weather and ice conditions were having on the game.

If you want to do the game as a novelty thing, do it for the All Star game. When 2 points are on the line though I don't think it's fair to put two teams into that situation.

I get what you are saying but if you ask any team in the league and most of the players on any given team they will tell you that they are more than willing to take part in the WC with 2 points on the line. Everyone was real excited about this. The hype was good for the game. The buildup and pre-game coverage over the past few weeks was the best part of it all. IMO.

The game itself wasn't the best we have seen but both teams were equally handicapped so it isn't like their was an advantage for anybody out there.

phaneuf6
01-02-2011, 03:20 PM
I get what you are saying but if you ask any team in the league and most of the players on any given team they will tell you that they are more than willing to take part in the WC with 2 points on the line. Everyone was real excited about this. The hype was good for the game. The buildup and pre-game coverage over the past few weeks was the best part of it all. IMO.

The game itself wasn't the best we have seen but both teams were equally handicapped so it isn't like their was an advantage for anybody out there.

But isn't the game itself what they're trying to sell? That's my gripe with it. You can do all the marketing you want, all the hype, the buildup, but if the product sucks, who cares?

Ask those same players whether they'd rather play indoors for those 2 points or outside and I bet they choose inside.

Hamsterkill
01-02-2011, 04:33 PM

I disagree. Doc Emrick and Eddie O repeatedly voiced concerns about the quality of the ice the players were getting. Pierre kept bursting in whenever that was suggested to try an play it down. Pang might have said something to that effect, too but he also mentioned the difficulty in playing on a too slippery ice surface for a goalie.

EDIT: Also the problem if you do this for the all-star game is that you're advertising a product that doesn't exist. They want the hitting and the fighting and the competing for the WC not the pansy-ass play of an All-Star game that doesn't matter for shit.

Rocklobster
01-02-2011, 05:26 PM
why would it be not fair because the ice isn't as good? Both teams have to play on it, it's not like one of them is getting an advantage.

Plus the ice isn't the same in every building, I know a few rinks down south that have shitty ice too.

phaneuf6
01-02-2011, 05:28 PM
why would it be not fair because the ice isn't as good? Both teams have to play on it, it's not like one of them is getting an advantage.

Plus the ice isn't the same in every building, I know a few rinks down south that have shitty ice.

It's still better ice than it was yesterday. And yes, both teams have to play on it, but teams also like playing different styles, etc. On regular ice you can play whatever style you want. On yesterdays ice, you have to muck and grind, there's no other option.

Rocklobster
01-02-2011, 05:30 PM
I don't see a problem with it, players should just suck it up.. Look at what football players have to play through sometimes.

phaneuf6
01-02-2011, 08:26 PM
I don't see a problem with it, players should just suck it up.. Look at what football players have to play through sometimes.

I think you're missing the point. That's the nature of the NFL, they have outdoor stadiums and that's how it goes. There are 2,460 games played in the NHL regular season. 2,459 of those are played indoors, same conditions, *solid* ice, etc. 1 isn't. That's my point.

Rocklobster
01-02-2011, 10:54 PM
I think you're missing the point. That's the nature of the NFL, they have outdoor stadiums and that's how it goes. There are 2,460 games played in the NHL regular season. 2,459 of those are played indoors, same conditions, *solid* ice, etc. 1 isn't. That's my point.

my point is not all ice surfaces are the same in the stadiums. Some are shittier than others. There is no point to complain about the conditions because it doesn't matter. both teams are playing on that same ice, so there is no advantage to any side. I understand what you're saying but IMO it's irrelevant.

I'm using football as an example because some teams have to play in snow more than others. But everyone sucks it up and plays their best.

Doctego
01-02-2011, 11:02 PM
I disagree. Doc Emrick and Eddie O repeatedly voiced concerns about the quality of the ice the players were getting. Pierre kept bursting in whenever that was suggested to try an play it down. Pang might have said something to that effect, too but he also mentioned the difficulty in playing on a too slippery ice surface for a goalie.

EDIT: Also the problem if you do this for the all-star game is that you're advertising a product that doesn't exist. They want the hitting and the fighting and the competing for the WC not the pansy-ass play of an All-Star game that doesn't matter for shit.

Agreed. Not sure if phaneuf went to the men's room each time they mentioned it but they constantly brought up the puddles, etc. The only time that I heard any mention of the ice being "good" was when they brought in the weatherman who said that the low was taking the moisture out with it and, combined with the temperature going down, the ice should get better. That was before the rains came, though.

keyboard
01-03-2011, 04:30 AM
That shit was borderline unwatchable.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
01-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Most watched regular season game in 36 years. I don't know how anyone can argue that this kind of coverage is bad for the game. Regardless of ice conditions and actual game play.

4 of the top 5 are winter classic games.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=548241

Most-Watched NHL Regular-Season Games Since 1975

* 4.5 million Jan. 1, 2011 NBC Capitals-Penguins
* 4.4 million Jan. 1, 2009 NBC Red Wings-Blackhawks
* 3.8 million Jan. 27, 1996 FOX Six-game regional coverage
* 3.8 million Jan. 1, 2008 NBC Penguins-Sabres
* 3.7 million Jan. 1, 2010 NBC Flyers-Bruins

Kyle
01-03-2011, 08:29 PM

Plus the ice isn't the same in every building, I know a few rinks down south that have shitty ice too.

I didn't read any replies since, so sorry if I'm repeating somebody, but this logic is assinine, irrational, and makes zero sense in a high-end competitive sports environment.

You can't just fucking cut everybodys stick in half, give them the TOP half, and tell them "go play the game, you're ALL using half sticks, you all have the same disadvantage." The game no longer addresses the same talents and skills that it has valued through 100 years of history. It no longer is about what you practiced and studies and more about on the spot improvision, which has its place in professional sports but should NEVER dictate an entire game. When the ice is making your set plays impossible to run, making you have to accellerate and hit differently, and all around simply change the style of hockey you'd normally play, then its creating an environment that should have ZERO relavence to the NHL playoff picture.

It doesn't matter if the disadvantage goes both ways, I agree 100%, ESPICIALLY with the tight playoff races in recent years for those bottom spots, that the regular season shouldn't acknowledge gimmicky games on mediocre ice rinks in horrible conditions on their official season standings.

You can't just have a random game in the middle of the year that values a totally different set of skills than youre trained and taught to master (competitive outdoor hockey doesn't exist to most NHL players), its unfair to a balanced playoff scene.

That rant aside, I don't feel THAT strongly about it. Its no huge deal, but I do agree that its weak.

keyboard
01-03-2011, 08:38 PM
That rant aside, I don't feel THAT strongly about it.:lol:

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
01-03-2011, 08:44 PM
I didn't read any replies since, so sorry if I'm repeating somebody, but this logic is assinine, irrational, and makes zero sense in a high-end competitive sports environment.

You can't just fucking cut everybodys stick in half, give them the TOP half, and tell them "go play the game, you're ALL using half sticks, you all have the same disadvantage." The game no longer addresses the same talents and skills that it has valued through 100 years of history. It no longer is about what you practiced and studies and more about on the spot improvision, which has its place in professional sports but should NEVER dictate an entire game. When the ice is making your set plays impossible to run, making you have to accellerate and hit differently, and all around simply change the style of hockey you'd normally play, then its creating an environment that should have ZERO relavence to the NHL playoff picture.

It doesn't matter if the disadvantage goes both ways, I agree 100%, ESPICIALLY with the tight playoff races in recent years for those bottom spots, that the regular season shouldn't acknowledge gimmicky games on mediocre ice rinks in horrible conditions on their official season standings.

You can't just have a random game in the middle of the year that values a totally different set of skills than youre trained and taught to master (competitive outdoor hockey doesn't exist to most NHL players), its unfair to a balanced playoff scene.

That rant aside, I don't feel THAT strongly about it. Its no huge deal, but I do agree that its weak.

Could have fooled me! :lol:

I agree it isn't the best circumstances... the ice the other night was shit.. but the ratings for the WC have improved every single season and it's been the highest rated regular season game 4 out of 5 times in 36 years. This bitch happens ONE time a fucking year. (hopefully)

NHL teams play 82 some games in a season! Not like NFL where it's 16 weeks and every god damn week is a matter of life or death in a competitive conference.

I really don't get the complaints. I really don't.

I love you guys and respect this hockey/sports community as much as any out there, but what is the big fucking beef here, really? It's ONE game. Fuck. :rolleyes:

phaneuf6
01-03-2011, 09:55 PM
4.5 million people isn't even that good Sponge...

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
01-04-2011, 12:22 AM
4.5 million people isn't even that good Sponge...

Okay. As oppose to.... what ?

toronto1979
01-04-2011, 12:58 AM
Okay. As oppose to.... what ?
Here are the ratings from that night. The game was beaten by a rerun of CSI: Miami, a rerun of Cops, America's Most Wanted, and a rerun of 48 Hours Mystery. However it did fair well with young adults.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/01/02/tv-ratings-saturday-primetime-nhl-winter-classic-leads-nbc-to-new-year-win-with-young-adults/76953

Read the comments on that page for some insight.

keyboard
01-04-2011, 01:21 AM
Reruns? That's sad.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
01-04-2011, 04:53 PM
Here are the ratings from that night. The game was beaten by a rerun of CSI: Miami, a rerun of Cops, America's Most Wanted, and a rerun of 48 Hours Mystery. However it did fair well with young adults.

damned old people messing everything up. It's not the NHLs fault that grandma loves her cops and AMW.

I guess it is kind of embarrassing when you consider that but you also have to acknowledge the ratings of each winter classic moderately improving year after year. Caps and Pens are still relatively smaller hockey markets but I suppose with all of the hype leading up to this one there should have been even more viewers. I also think the prime time slot may have hurt more than helped. Hard to say. I think it's safe to say most hockey fans in North America were tuned in on new years day but perhaps the league isn't doing a good enough job at bringing in new viewers. Either way, as a fan I enjoy the opportunity to see NHL stars play a game once a year outdoors. I think it is a fun and thrilling time and in the end I think it honestly helps the league more than hurts it. Which is hopefully what we all want. :dunno:

After the success of 24/7 I wonder if HBO will do a yearly 24/7 feature with future winter classic opponents. That would be cool with me. A good way to dig into some other nhl rivalries, teams and superstars.

eykwingnut
01-04-2011, 07:33 PM
Could have fooled me! :lol:

I agree it isn't the best circumstances... the ice the other night was shit.. but the ratings for the WC have improved every single season and it's been the highest rated regular season game 4 out of 5 times in 36 years. This bitch happens ONE time a fucking year. (hopefully)

NHL teams play 82 some games in a season! Not like NFL where it's 16 weeks and every god damn week is a matter of life or death in a competitive conference.

I really don't get the complaints. I really don't.

I love you guys and respect this hockey/sports community as much as any out there, but what is the big fucking beef here, really? It's ONE game. Fuck. :rolleyes:
Tell that to last years Flyers...

The reason 4 of the top 5 most watched NHL games are the winter classic is because it happens once a year, gets 10x more publicity than other games, and is on a nationally televised station. Not because the game is any better.

They should have just canceled the game and played it indoors at the end of the season because that ice was horrendous. Guys couldn't even stick handle. The biggest thing that came out of the winter classic this year was Ovechkin going for a slap shot and falling flat on his face. Is that the kind of hockey material we want to give ESPN to post? (which they did in their NOT top 10 segment)

Hamsterkill
01-04-2011, 07:40 PM
They should have just canceled the game and played it indoors at the end of the season because that ice was horrendous.
Yeah, because that wouldn't have been a PR nightmare at all...

CayugaPosse
01-05-2011, 12:11 AM
Just for any Canadians that may have been watching the Winter Classic on CBC, and were not subjected to the absolutely god awful work by NBC's broadcast I already ranted about, here's a video for you...

http://player.vimeo.com/video/18393177

And another case...this is the fucking camera angle NBC had on during live play for one of Eric Fehr's goal...

http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_nhl_experts__84/ept_sports_nhl_experts-201515037-1294070080.jpg?ymAV4VED1BIbFdEk

So glad we got the vantage point of what that goal looked like to fucking aliens.

Side note on the ratings : you can say 4.5 is lame, but it's 27% more than they got last year for this game, and is one of the most watched games in the history of the NHL. You can't argue with that. Pointing to 4.5 and calling it a failure is comdemning the popularity of the NHL, not how this game works in drawing in viewers.

keyboard
01-05-2011, 02:21 AM
Why the fuck is there a camera that far out in the first place?

canuckthug
01-05-2011, 02:29 AM
Why the fuck is there a camera that far out in the first place?

It was the blimp shot. Its an outdoor game and i thought it was cool to use because you can see the play develop, (BirdsEye View if you will). They did overuse it but it didnt bother me. How often are you gonna see an angle like that for a hockey game?? If they zoomed in it could have been more effective... It was one game and i wasnt even into the game so the scenic shots were eye candy for me. The far out view from the side is what pissed me off which CPosse eluded to earlier but they did overuse the blimp cam and it has clearly enraged CayugaPosse.. :lol:

keyboard
01-05-2011, 02:35 PM
But that's more appropriate for a football game. Clearly an ice rink is considerably smaller than a football field, that angle is overkill.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
01-05-2011, 03:47 PM
http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_nhl_experts__84/ept_sports_nhl_experts-201515037-1294070080.jpg?ymAV4VED1BIbFdEk

So glad we got the vantage point of what that goal looked like to fucking aliens.

:lol:

madsci
01-05-2011, 04:02 PM

My take home message from all this is that roughly 11-MILLION PEOPLE spent an hour watching reruns of either Cops or CSI:Miami in the US Saturday night.

ELEVEN. MILLION. PEOPLE.

Wait - was this the same day all those birds dropped from the sky?

Dear god, it really is the apocalypse.

keyboard
01-05-2011, 04:17 PM
They were probably all watching someone they are related to.

"Look, ma! Cousin Bobby's on the TV again!"

phaneuf6
01-05-2011, 05:35 PM
Damien Cox tweeted this:

More Canadians watched WJC semi between Canada and the U.S. than the Winter Classic was able to attract in entire United States.

secol
02-22-2011, 01:06 PM
ended up getting tickets for 100 each

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/735/dscn01401.jpg
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/3381/dscn01391.jpg
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/4065/dscn01381.jpg
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/5943/dscn01371.jpg

madsci
02-22-2011, 01:29 PM
ended up getting tickets for 100 each
[/IMG]

How was it? Worth it?

Cornholio
02-22-2011, 02:29 PM
Great pics!
Was it worth it?

secol
02-22-2011, 05:33 PM
yeah atmosphere was great, feet got kinda frozen and was really glad they had the seat cushions since i was sitting on the metal benches lol.....that said though if it happens again within 5 or 6 years in calgary i probably wouldn't go because these events are supposed to be special