PDA

View Full Version : Them Crooked Vultures (Super Group)

King_Killah
08-04-2009, 07:17 PM
If you would have told me these guys would be playing together I would have laughed at you... But...

THEM CROOKED VULTURES, the new supergroup featuring Josh Homme (QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE), John Paul Jones (LED ZEPPELIN) and Dave Grohl (FOO FIGHTERS), is rumored to be playing a last-minute Lollapalooza after-show party on Sunday, August 9 at the Metro in Chicago, Illinois. An image (see below) advertising the event on eTix (https://www.etix.com/ticket/servlet/onlineSale%3bjsessionid=2DCF3D7CF8DD8FC972C8E217BA 654C0C?action=selectPerformance&cobrand=blackandwhite&performance_id=1056827) (which is said to be a "pioneer in on-demand ticketing software") lists three symbols, which look identical to those of FOO FIGHTERS, LED ZEPPELIN (more specifically, Jones' symbol), and QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE.

Have to say it has my attention.

MrScientist
08-04-2009, 07:54 PM
I was pumped when I heard of this, if only for Homme releasing something. I wonder what the sound is like?

King_Killah
08-04-2009, 09:18 PM
There is an album in the works. This whole project is very hush-hush though. JPJ even stated that he wasn't supposed to leak that they were doing the Lolla after-show party.

King_Killah
08-05-2009, 11:31 PM
More starting to be revealed.

According to what appears to be a promotional poster (see below) for the debut album from THEM CROOKED VULTURES, the new supergroup consisting of FOO FIGHTERS frontman Dave Grohl, LED ZEPPELIN bassist John Paul Jones and QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE singer/guitarist Josh Homme, the CD titled "Never Deserved The Future" will be released on October 23 via Interscope. However, it should be noted that October 23 is a Friday, which is not a day when albums are traditionally made available in the U.S. (most labels release new CDs in the U.S. on Tuesdays).

MrScientist
08-06-2009, 09:36 AM
This will be good :)

With QOTSA being my favorite band, I am definitely a Homme enthusiast.

King_Killah
08-19-2009, 07:34 PM
YouTube - Nobody Loves Me And Neither Do I (Studio)

MrScientist
08-19-2009, 08:46 PM
YouTube - Nobody Loves Me And Neither Do I (Studio) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYYdli0P8YI&feature=player_embedded)

To quote a Mr. Lloyd Christmas, mmm, that sounds good, I'll have that :p

MrScientist
11-11-2009, 10:20 PM
The album is posted on Youtube, Bandoliers is my favorite so far

YouTube- 07 ~ Bandoliers

Zangetsu
11-12-2009, 01:40 PM
Just listened to the album on youtube, and I'm really impressed. You can really hear the Led Zeppelin influence, but QOTSA is in there, too. It's also great to have Grohl back on the drums. They sound to me like what classic rock would sound like if it was being played today.

King_Killah
11-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Just listened to the album on youtube, and I'm really impressed. You can really hear the Led Zeppelin influence, but QOTSA is in there, too. It's also great to have Grohl back on the drums. They sound to me like what classic rock would sound like if it was being played today.

Agree with this a million%.

Zangetsu
11-12-2009, 11:06 PM
I've listened to most of the songs a few times now, and I have to say my favs are "No One Loves Me...," "Elephants," "Bandoliers," "Gunman," and "Spinning in Daffodils."

This is some really great stuff. Thanks for tuning me into this guys.

Zangetsu
11-13-2009, 11:19 PM
Okay, I'm officially obsessed. Had to make a round trip to Rochester today (two and a half hours each way from Bingo), and I wound up listening to the album from top to bottom three times on the trip (had to steal it for now, but I plan on buying it on iTunes on the 17th).

My new favorite track on the album is the opener ("No One Loves Me..."). That breakdown at about 2:30 that ends with "Ugh..." and turns into that crazy, aggressive riff may be my favorite 30 seconds of music ever. Gives me goosebumps.

MrScientist
11-15-2009, 03:38 PM
My favorite after a few listens through has to be Dead End Friends. All three bands scream loudly out of this one, and Homme has another one of his understated badass solos (think God Is In The Radio)

MrScientist
01-27-2010, 02:20 PM
Everybody still into this now that it's been out for a couple of months? I'd say my favorite is still Dead End Friends and least favorite is Scumbag Blues.

Zangetsu
01-27-2010, 04:24 PM
I actually really like Scumbag Blues. My least favorite is probably Reptiles or Interlude. Nobody Loves Me... and Elephants are probably my favorites. Still one of the best albums I've heard in some time.

King_Killah
01-29-2010, 02:14 PM
Yeah.... I actually just had this in rotation in my car.

MrScientist
02-10-2010, 02:38 PM
TCV will be performing on Austin City Limits on PBS...go to http://austincitylimits.org/finder.html

to find your local provider/time.

moans
02-10-2010, 04:34 PM
Interesting fact about TCV: Before they were officially together, Dave Grohl had lunch with Paul McCartney and shared his idea for this new superband. Paul was immediately intrigued and asked who they had contacted about playing bass. I wonder what they would be like with Paul there instead of John Paul Jones./ WE'll never know!

MrScientist
02-13-2010, 11:11 PM
Grohl is fuckin intense behind the kit, Johannes and JPJ are in a who looks creepier contest, and Josh is Josh. Sick shit...

King_Killah
03-23-2010, 08:48 PM
If interested...

According to the LED ZEPPELIN fan site LedZeppelinNews.com (http://lemonsqueezings.blogspot.com/), rock supergroup THEM CROOKED VULTURES which consists of John Paul Jones (LED ZEPPELIN), Dave Grohl (FOO FIGHTERS) and Josh Homme (QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE) will release a 10-inch picture-disc single on vinyl, consisting of "Mind Eraser, No Chaser" and "Highway One" backed with an audio interview, via select independent record stores on "Record Store Day" (April 17).

"Record Store Day" celebrates the continued existence of independent record stores, mostly through live in-store appearances, performances and special limited-edition releases that will only be sold through participating stores on the day itself, which is April 17 this year.

For a list of participating stores, go to this location (http://www.recordstoreday.com/Home).

In the video below, Homme explains what "Record Store Day" is and how customers can participate.

THEM CROOKED VULTURES released its self-titled debut album in November 2009 to a slew of critical acclaim and in just a few short months saw additional accolades including "best of 2009" lists from Spin, MySpace and Time Out. The album, which has reached gold and platinum status in a number of territories, including U.K., Canada and Australia, is available in stores and online now.

THEM CROOKED VULTURES's CD sold 70,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to land at position No. 12 on The Billboard 200 chart.

MrScientist
03-23-2010, 08:51 PM
If interested...

I'd love to get Highway One, it's a badass song...any release of this online or will I have to wait for torrents and such?

MrScientist
05-30-2010, 05:10 PM
If interested...

KK, supposedly that is on iTunes now as a "Digital 45" but only in Canada? Do you know anything about the US release date?

King_Killah
05-31-2010, 08:48 PM
Not sure... I'll see if I can poke around and find something.

MrScientist
07-21-2010, 12:57 PM
I've really taken a shine to Scumbag Blues lately, especially this version:

YouTube- 03 - Scumbag blues - Them Crooked Vultures (Cologne 8-12-2009)

The respective jams are awesome.

King_Killah
02-13-2011, 09:57 PM
They won a Grammy...

THEM CROOKED VULTURES was honored with a Grammy in the "Best Hard Rock Performance" category in the pre-telecast ceremony at the 53rd annual Grammy Awards, which are being held tonight (Sunday, February 13) at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. THEM CROOKED VULTURES was nominated for the track "New Fang", from the band's 2009 album "Them Crooked Vultures".

The nominees in this year's "Hard Rock" category were as follows:

* ALICE IN CHAINS - "A Looking In View" (from "Black Gives Way to Blue")
* OZZY OSBOURNE - "Let Me Hear You Scream" (from "Scream")
* SOUNDGARDEN - "Black Rain" (from "Telephantasm")
* STONE TEMPLE PILOTS - "Between The Lines" (from "Stone Temple Pilots")
* THEM CROOKED VULTURES - "New Fang" (from "Them Crooked Vultures")

Beat out Alice, Ozzy, Soundgarden, and STP... Wow!!!!