PDA

View Full Version : US Open

two24four
06-19-2009, 12:33 PM
It's early I know, but thru 7 Mike Weir is leading with a -4, he's looking really good today.

dw13
06-19-2009, 01:58 PM
Wish it didn't rain like it did.. these scores are too high for Bethpage Black and the Open.

Doctego
06-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Wish it didn't rain like it did.. these scores are too high for Bethpage Black and the Open.

Agreed although the scores will come back a little.

dw13
06-19-2009, 02:15 PM
Agreed although the scores will come back a little.

Needs to not rain at all anymore so it can dry out.. and I've heard more rain at sometime this weekend.

Doctego
06-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Needs to not rain at all anymore so it can dry out.. and I've heard more rain at sometime this weekend.

I am close enough that I can vouch for the "more rain in the forecast". I am referencing the fact that we usually have some players that come out of the gate fast. There are obviously more than usual but they could always let the rough grow a little more with the added rain. Even if they didn't want to, there are ways that they can toughen up the golf course.

two24four
06-19-2009, 02:22 PM

Yeah I heard they are calling for alot tomorrow as well.

Weir still kick some as so far.

dw13
06-19-2009, 02:24 PM
I am close enough that I can vouch for the "more rain in the forecast". I am referencing the fact that we usually have some players that come out of the gate fast. There are obviously more than usual but they could always let the rough grow a little more with the added rain. Even if they didn't want to, there are ways that they can toughen up the golf course.

Forgot your up there, so there is rain in the forecast?

The course is going to get tougher regardless, pressure mounts and it instantly is harder. I do agree with you about the rough and all though.

Its a good leaderboard at this point though, I just don't like the scoring.

two24four
06-19-2009, 03:20 PM
Great 1st round for Weir -6 (64).

Doctego
06-19-2009, 03:54 PM
Forgot your up there, so there is rain in the forecast?

The course is going to get tougher regardless, pressure mounts and it instantly is harder. I do agree with you about the rough and all though.

Its a good leaderboard at this point though, I just don't like the scoring.

Looks like rain tomorrow and then decent on Sunday before another possible rainfall. I don't mind red numbers.......for now. Let me see Weir or someone else be 10-12 under after 2 rounds. Then, I'll worry. I guess that they could also get creative with some pin positions. What really troubles me is watching guys stop their balls on the green like any other tour stop.

dw13
06-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Looks like rain tomorrow and then decent on Sunday before another possible rainfall. I don't mind red numbers.......for now. Let me see Weir or someone else be 10-12 under after 2 rounds. Then, I'll worry. I guess that they could also get creative with some pin positions. What really troubles me is watching guys stop their balls on the green like any other tour stop.

That is that damn rain :blah:

Doctego
06-19-2009, 04:01 PM
That is that damn rain :blah:

I know. I was hoping that softer fairways would curtail that a little but no dice. The rain in the tri-state area has been insane.

phaneuf6
06-19-2009, 04:10 PM
They'll take care of the greens tomorrow I'm sure and double cut and roll em. It'll be fine. You can't deny Weir had a great round of golf.

dw13
06-19-2009, 04:12 PM
They'll take care of the greens tomorrow I'm sure and double cut and roll em. It'll be fine. You can't deny Weir had a great round of golf.

He played awesome on the course as it is right now. He was smacking the rescue club all day long, but then again it was slapping on the green and not moving a lick.. something that shouldn't happen on these greens.

Weir has a legit shot though here as long as he keeps his head together. I think he will hang around.

two24four
06-19-2009, 04:12 PM

He sure did, he could very easy be a -7 or 8 right now.

phaneuf6
06-19-2009, 04:17 PM
How about Duval at -3.

For my pool at work we had to pick 10 golfers. 7 have to make the cut and your top 7 scores are added and the lowest total obviously wins. I have:

Tiger Woods
Phil Mickelson
Adam Scott
Padraig Harrington
Rory McIlroy
Sergio Garcia
Sean O'Hair
Anthony Kim
Jim Furyk
Geoff Ogilvy

dw13
06-19-2009, 04:21 PM
How about Duval at -3.

For my pool at work we had to pick 10 golfers. 7 have to make the cut and your top 7 scores are added and the lowest total obviously wins. I have:

Tiger Woods
Phil Mickelson
Adam Scott
Padraig Harrington
Rory McIlroy
Sergio Garcia
Sean O'Hair
Anthony Kim
Jim Furyk
Geoff Ogilvy

Pretty cool pool and I like your picks outside of McIlory. Risky on Scott with the way he has been playing but looks to pay off right now.

Solid set of guys.

phaneuf6
06-19-2009, 05:31 PM
Pretty cool pool and I like your picks outside of McIlory. Risky on Scott with the way he has been playing but looks to pay off right now.

Solid set of guys.

I've been high on McIlroy because I followed him throughout his European career. He's going to be a great player. Plus, I can afford some risky picks with only the top 7 being counted..

The only thing is, I work at a golf course so everyone knows their stuff haha.

dw13
06-19-2009, 05:39 PM
I've been high on McIlroy because I followed him throughout his European career. He's going to be a great player. Plus, I can afford some risky picks with only the top 7 being counted..

The only thing is, I work at a golf course so everyone knows their stuff haha.

Not tough to pick 10, honestly. Knowing golf or not. McIlory is a solid little kid, but that translates bad to a US Open, honestly. Good solid picks though.

phaneuf6
06-19-2009, 06:18 PM
Not tough to pick 10, honestly. Knowing golf or not. McIlory is a solid little kid, but that translates bad to a US Open, honestly. Good solid picks though.

No I know aha, but some strategy/knowledge comes into picking for the US Open. I mean, you want guys that are long but accurate off the tee, and guys that have good recovery games.

Looks like they're expecting darkness to settle around 8:30, meaning there's going to be a long day for a lot of guys tomorrow. Hopefully the rain holds off, although its looking like it won't, and they can get everything finished and save Sunday for the final round.

dw13
06-19-2009, 06:22 PM
No I know aha, but some strategy/knowledge comes into picking for the US Open. I mean, you want guys that are long but accurate off the tee, and guys that have good recovery games.

Looks like they're expecting darkness to settle around 8:30, meaning there's going to be a long day for a lot of guys tomorrow. Hopefully the rain holds off, although its looking like it won't, and they can get everything finished and save Sunday for the final round.

Lets hope man

two24four
06-17-2010, 02:42 PM
Weir is leading right now -2 through 17.

CayugaPosse
06-18-2010, 11:04 PM
Weir is leading right now -2 through 17.

Not picking on you although it may sound like it...

Do you feel stupid yet for giving Mike Weir updates?

This is a HUGE pet peeve I have in this country. Not to bring up school again because apparantly every time I do nowadays I get shit on, but it's been drilled into us at school that any golf update needs to have Mike Weir in it because he's such a big deal up here. News editors want him in there because so many Canadians care so much about what he's doing.

He won the Masters. In 2003. He's won ONE tournament in 6 years now. He is nothing in the PGA tour.

Can we please give it a rest? Never before has an athlete been so over-rated.

two24four
06-19-2010, 10:45 AM

This is a HUGE pet peeve I have in this country. Not to bring up school again because apparantly every time I do nowadays I get shit on, but it's been drilled into us at school that any golf update needs to have Mike Weir in it because he's such a big deal up here. News editors want him in there because so many Canadians care so much about what he's doing.

He won the Masters. In 2003. He's won ONE tournament in 6 years now. He is nothing in the PGA tour.

Nope not at all, I like seeing how he's doing, good or bad.

phaneuf6
06-19-2010, 02:26 PM

Personally I think he's a pretty damn good golfer and a good representative on tour for Canada. Seems pretty logical to me to include the top Canadian on tour in any Canadian golf reports or the like.

moans
06-19-2010, 04:06 PM

IT won't happen until another Canadian golfer reaches his success. No, Stephen Ames doesn't count. WHy the beef with him anyway? It's not like he's going out there and missing the cut each week. He's going out there and putting in solid results.

Who knows, maybe your wish will come true sooner than later. Prior to turning pro, Matt Hill was the number one ranked collegiate player in the US.

dw13
06-19-2010, 04:22 PM
Yeah, I don't get Cayuga's hate of Weir

But 24, you must of jinxed him! 79 yesterday and an 83 today! eeeek! :lol:

moans
06-19-2010, 04:24 PM
Yeah, I don't get Cayuga's hate of Weir

But 24, you must of jinxed him! 79 yesterday and an 83 today! eeeek! :lol:

Haha, more like it was the Thursday of a major. Weir's always near the top I find.

two24four
06-19-2010, 04:24 PM
Yeah he's not doing so good now, haha.

dw13
06-19-2010, 04:28 PM
I love the West Coast thing. Being able to lay down on the couch and flick on the Open is awesome

two24four
06-19-2010, 04:53 PM
I just got in not long ago, missed most of it today, going out again soon as well, will have to read about it later.

moans
06-19-2010, 08:05 PM
Tiger shoots -5 on the back today to bring himself to -1 for the tourney. It'll be interesting to see what happens to the leaders down the stretch.

dw13
06-19-2010, 08:06 PM
Really pulling for Dustin Johnson. Put some money down on him, Els and Kaymer leading into the open.

Snipes16
06-20-2010, 12:40 AM
I love the West Coast thing. Being able to lay down on the couch and flick on the Open is awesome

Gotta agree with this a ton, the coverage has been a nice surprise so late at night and they move on quick to the next shot from the contenders.

Dustin Johnson only needs anything fom even to +2 and he should get the title plus he knows Pebble probably better than anyone....just nothing too disastrous :freak:

dw13
06-20-2010, 05:49 PM
Dustin Johnson :(

moans
06-17-2011, 11:42 AM
Rory McIlroy is up 10 heading to the 18th hole. If he keeps up what he's doing he could win by 15 if not more. However, we all remember what happened at the Masters.

dw13
06-17-2011, 12:11 PM
Incredible. What he's done these first two days, combined with the fact that at some point in the past 4 majors he has led.

When he finally wins a major (this one?) he's going to take the world of golf by the nuts for years to come.

Doctego
06-17-2011, 12:31 PM
Incredible. What he's done these first two days, combined with the fact that at some point in the past 4 majors he has led.

When he finally wins a major (this one?) he's going to take the world of golf by the nuts for years to come.

Not bad for a tit, right??:lol:

dw13
06-17-2011, 12:59 PM
Not bad for a tit, right??:lol:

:lol:

He'll always be a tit but he's one hell of a golfer. I gained a ton of respect for how composed he was in his interview after his blow up.

Doctego
06-19-2011, 06:32 PM
The tit played great. Not much more to say. Did anyone notice when they panned to his father right before he hit his approach on 18?? I swear that Shane McMahon was with his father.

dw13
06-19-2011, 06:45 PM
Pure class from Rory. Sensational stuff, and he's so composed and respectful in his interviews. Really a breath of fresh air.

Shame he's a Manchester United fan.

habsfan1
06-19-2011, 09:32 PM
Good to see the young guys playing great, can't wait to see Rory in the British and Jason Day with two straight second places in majors.

phaneuf6
06-20-2011, 05:34 PM
Great win for Rory, one of my favourite golfers for awhile now. Huge celebrations in Northern Ireland today.

My only beef with him is his 'Northern Ireland' focus, as opposed to Ireland as a whole. But that's a discussion for another time.

moans
06-21-2011, 10:56 AM
Great win for Rory, one of my favourite golfers for awhile now. Huge celebrations in Northern Ireland today.

My only beef with him is his 'Northern Ireland' focus, as opposed to Ireland as a whole. But that's a discussion for another time.

Huge celebrations indeed. Darren Clark just withdrew from this weeks European tour event so he could party with McIlroy et all. Rory also stated in an article I read last month that he would represent Ireland as opposed to Northern Ireland in the olympics.

phaneuf6
06-21-2011, 06:39 PM
Huge celebrations indeed. Darren Clark just withdrew from this weeks European tour event so he could party with McIlroy et all. Rory also stated in an article I read last month that he would represent Ireland as opposed to Northern Ireland in the olympics.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Between him and McDowell and all their 'Northern Ireland' talk, it gets pretty sickening. Rory was a Catholic but went to a protestant school, he should know better! One country!

moans
06-21-2011, 08:13 PM
Just received an email about entering the draw for 2012 ryder cup tickets. HEre's the link: http://rydercup.pgalinks.com/index.cfm?from=3&cid=1943&cc_id=1500921

dw13
10-27-2011, 09:50 PM
Just received an email about entering the draw for 2012 ryder cup tickets. HEre's the link: http://rydercup.pgalinks.com/index.cfm?from=3&cid=1943&cc_id=1500921

Just got selected I guess in the draw.

Did you, Mike?

phaneuf6
10-28-2011, 07:45 AM
Just got selected I guess in the draw.

Did you, Mike?

I'm really pissed about this. I got my 2 emails to tell me my 'standing' but there was nothing in the bloody email! I emailed them because it's a tight 7 day turn around to buy your tickets but didn't hear back. Would've loved to go.

dw13
10-28-2011, 11:12 AM
I'm really pissed about this. I got my 2 emails to tell me my 'standing' but there was nothing in the bloody email! I emailed them because it's a tight 7 day turn around to buy your tickets but didn't hear back. Would've loved to go.

What day did you apply to go?

I did a Tuesday, figuring it'd be one of the least popular days and ended up landing a ticket. Stoked.

phaneuf6
10-28-2011, 11:22 AM
What day did you apply to go?

I did a Tuesday, figuring it'd be one of the least popular days and ended up landing a ticket. Stoked.

I think I applied for the 4 day pass. Still, you'd think the email would have something in it. Feel like I got a dud email sent to me, which sucks. Ah well.

dw13
10-28-2011, 11:30 AM
I think I applied for the 4 day pass. Still, you'd think the email would have something in it. Feel like I got a dud email sent to me, which sucks. Ah well.

That is a damn bummer.

moans
10-28-2011, 11:41 AM
I didn't get anything, pretty sure I applied for everything, too.