PDA

View Full Version : Buying an NHL jersey..authentic or replica?

fleuryfan
03-12-2009, 12:26 PM
I am thinking about getting a new NHL jersey to add to my collection. I am debating whether to get a replica jersey or get a authentic jersey. The replica jersey is $175 while the authentic is $380. If you had a choice on what jersey to get, which would you choose? Why is that jersey better then the other? For sure I know the authentic is better but I am just going to wear the jersey to games and maybe to some bars. I am so confused on what to get. Thanks for the advice and help ahead of time.

keyboard
03-12-2009, 12:35 PM
If you get an authentic, get it signed and don't touch it. If you plan on wearing it, get the replica. Also, someone posted a link to an Ebay seller selling replicas for fairly cheap. I bought an Ovechkin one and it was solid.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-12-2009, 12:49 PM
if you are just gonna sport that shit at the games then I say get the cheaper replica. nobody is gonna care, and it doesn't feel quite as bad when you spill a dark beer or some nacho cheese on it.

I love authentic jerseys but strictly for hanging/autograph/collection purposes.

nyrblue2
03-12-2009, 01:11 PM
Yea, it's been said, but get a replica is you're gonna wear it around.

b_illin
03-12-2009, 01:29 PM
The dude with the Ottawa 67's avatar sells replica jersey's I think - can't remember his HI name though

Kaboominator
03-12-2009, 01:33 PM
I just bought a Replica Bergeron jersey on Ebay. Delivered to my door for 76 bucks. Sewn on letters and patches. I will let you know how good it is when i get it. The guy had almost every team available..with names and numbers on.

ih8music
03-12-2009, 01:35 PM
just curious - those of you who collect authentic jerseys, do you just keep them for display, or do you acutally look at them as an investment to be sold at a later date?

Everyone I know who collects stuff like that does it for personal enjoyment - for display / basement decoration only. I've always been curious why the need to spend the extra cash (which isn't trivial for NHL jerseys) to go authentic when a signed replica would serve the same purpose?

narduch
03-12-2009, 01:41 PM
$380 for a jersey is lunacy.

keyboard
03-12-2009, 03:39 PM
Everyone I know who collects stuff like that does it for personal enjoyment - for display / basement decoration only. I've always been curious why the need to spend the extra cash (which isn't trivial for NHL jerseys) to go authentic when a signed replica would serve the same purpose?I think if you go to the effort to get a jersey signed by an all-star, you'd want to make sure it's resale value is high. If you just want to hang it up then yeah, I agree, buy a replica and work on your forgery skills.

fleuryfan
03-13-2009, 07:22 AM
There is a guy on ebay that a lot of people have bought jerseys from named pro-jerseys..he says on his description that his jerseys are better customized then the NHL. I don't understand what Pro Twil mean. Do you think his jerseys are better then buying it from NHL.Com! They are the same price as the NHL. Below is his description:

VERY IMPORTANT:
Please do not compare the above customized jersey we are selling to similar jerseys being sold by other sellers not only on EBAY, but even online sites such as NHL.com. The customized name and numbers on the jersey we are selling features "Pro Twill" fabric (this is the exact same fabric that is used for the Authentic jerseys worn on the ice) with each color professionally sewn on the jersey.
The jersey being sold on NHL.com has the players name and numbers "Screen Printed" and then "Glued" on the jersey. Printed and Glued on names and numbers will eventually fade and peel off.

Dubz
03-13-2009, 07:57 AM
If you want one stitched....go with the authentic. Sucks when it gets stained but it adds character. It will last forever. Remember, the first question everyone will ask - "Is that authentic?" Sure you can buy the replica and save cash.....not sure you'll be as happy with it though.

Im going to get a Lions Replica jersey/.....but they are only $20:lol: And I'll only wear it on Sundays in the confines of my own home:$

keyboard
03-13-2009, 09:05 AM
Maybe I missed it but you still haven't outlined why you're buying a jersey which is the single most important influence on what kind you get.

b_illin
03-13-2009, 10:42 AM
If you want one stitched....go with the authentic. Sucks when it gets stained but it adds character. It will last forever. Remember, the first question everyone will ask - "Is that authentic?" Sure you can buy the replica and save cash.....not sure you'll be as happy with it though.

Im going to get a Lions Replica jersey/.....but they are only $20:lol: And I'll only wear it on Sundays in the confines of my own home:$

I honestly don't think many if any of my friends would give a shit let alone ask....they'd just be impressed with the cool jersey.

Dubz
03-13-2009, 11:01 AM

This is just my personal preference and opinion:D

He said he wants to wear it to games and bars Kam....where he is most likely to run into knowlegable fans.

I honestly don't think many if any of my friends would give a shit let alone ask....they'd just be impressed with the cool jersey.

I suppose if they are ignorant you make a good point.

b_illin
03-13-2009, 11:20 AM
This is just my personal preference and opinion:D

He said he wants to wear it to games and bars Kam....where he is most likely to run into knowlegable fans.

Not at all - they are more the type that like the game and don't need something 'authentic' to be happy. To me, this authentic vs. replica stuff is about as lame as women who obsess over real vs. fake designer stuff (LV/Gucci bags, etc.) - who fucking cares!

Motorcat
03-13-2009, 11:26 AM
replica - old style ccm or koho.

The new reebok ones with the plastic shoulder patches just don't cut it.

b_illin
03-13-2009, 11:28 AM
replica - old style ccm or koho.

The new reebok ones with the plastic shoulder patches just don't cut it.

I'm with you - I don't like the new style jerseys....great if you play the game, but for me, a fan drinking a beer, the old style ones are great. I love my old CCM #17 Clark jersey....even though I badly want a #2 Schenn jersey!

PS: the new jerseys also don't fit me well - too short and tighter than I'd like

Kaboominator
03-13-2009, 11:47 AM
I'm with you - I don't like the new style jerseys....great if you play the game, but for me, a fan drinking a beer, the old style ones are great. I love my old CCM #17 Clark jersey....even though I badly want a #2 Schenn jersey!

PS: the new jerseys also don't fit me well - too short and tighter than I'd like

this one aint bad...and its in ONT

http://cgi.ebay.com/Luke-Schenn-Toronto-Maple-Leafs-Jersey_W0QQitemZ250385801924QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_ SM_Fan_Shop?hash=item250385801924&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

ih8music
03-13-2009, 11:52 AM
Not at all - they are more the type that like the game and don't need something 'authentic' to be happy. To me, this authentic vs. replica stuff is about as lame as women who obsess over real vs. fake designer stuff (LV/Gucci bags, etc.) - who fucking cares!

that's kind of my impression as well... is it the piece of clothing that matters to you, or is it the team/individual that the jersey represents what's important?

then again, i wear generic suglasses and buy a lot of my clothing at costco/target/etc... :lol:

b_illin
03-13-2009, 11:53 AM
this one aint bad...and its in ONT

http://cgi.ebay.com/Luke-Schenn-Toronto-Maple-Leafs-Jersey_W0QQitemZ250385801924QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_ SM_Fan_Shop?hash=item250385801924&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Good eyes and thanks, but I am 54/56 and it would need to be a Tall fit...which they don't make. Sadly I was made to be a football player not a hockey player (and look where that got me - metal in my hip and 5 knee surgeries...yay!)

Cornholio
03-13-2009, 01:55 PM
I hope you son't bother, but can anyone tell me where I can get a Red Wings Winter Classic jersey (authentic) with #11 Cleary (except for nhl.com)??

Another "problem" could be the shipping (to Germany)...

Thanks a lot!!!

Motorcat
03-13-2009, 03:16 PM
^ try hockeygiant.com

I have found some off the wall stuff there plus they have killer deals on the clearance page.

b_illin
03-13-2009, 05:26 PM
This one was funny;

http://hockeygiant.com/ccm6100jrysrlaa.html

fleuryfan
03-14-2009, 11:15 AM
I found a store selling jerseys on ebay and who has his own web site. Can someone tell me if the jerseys look real? I don't want to pay $175 and get ripped out. The thing with these jerseys is they are the real jerseys..its just they stich them letter by letter instead of how the NHL does it.

http://www.pro-jerseys.com/rangers.php

Cornholio
03-14-2009, 01:52 PM
Looks good to me, but I'm no pro at that...

eff1ngham
03-14-2009, 02:30 PM
The thing with these jerseys is they are the real jerseys..its just they stich them letter by letter instead of how the NHL does it.

Even if you order an authentic jersey from nhl.com they stitch the name letter by letter, not on a name plate, that about as authentic as you're going to get unless you get a game-worn jersey

alias
03-14-2009, 05:26 PM
I found a store selling jerseys on ebay and who has his own web site. Can someone tell me if the jerseys look real? I don't want to pay $175 and get ripped out. The thing with these jerseys is they are the real jerseys..its just they stich them letter by letter instead of how the NHL does it.

It's hard to tell without looking at it real close up. We'll use that first Avery jersey as an example. Something I've noticed on fake ones, you see how the numbers & letters have 2 colours? Each colour should be stitched seperately, sometimes you'll see the red & blue is all one fabric and there is only one stitch line. Also, on that site they don't mention what material the lettering is. If it is authentic it should be "Pro Twill" or "Tackle Twill" if I remember correctly.

Personally, if I wanted an authentic, I would just get a plain one and have it sticthed. You have to have a quality place do the job, and in my town there's only one place I would trust to use the actual fabrics & do a quality job exactly how it's supposed to be done. They charge roughly $60-$80 depending on how many letters, numbers & colours, to get my Koivu jersey stitched was about $60. I figure it would at least be cheaper (not sure what a plain jersey goes for though...) and that way you can have some confidence in the quality of the stitch work. I mean if my goal is to get an authentic & what arrives is an official (non-authentic) jersey, or the lettering isn't quite right (wrong material, wrong stitch pattern, etc.) I'd be pretty pissed, especially if I paid the big bucks to get it.

fleuryfan
03-15-2009, 12:57 PM
thanks alias..thats kind of why i am scared to buy from that site. :( i was wandering what a small would be in authentic NHL jerseys...size 48? I don't understand the number sizes when it comes to authentic jerseys. Can someone tell me what a small is equal to? thanks

Kyle
03-15-2009, 01:54 PM

Or maybe your friends are just spoiled and out of touch, which is all I can come up with to describe a person who immediately asks "Is it a 400 dollar authentic?!" when somebody buys a new jersey.

No offense, but its a little out of line to call his friends ignorant for not being superficial and obsessed with how "authentic" a jersey is.

380 dollars for a jersey is absolutely moronic, ESPICIALLY now. The benefits of the 3-4 people in your entire life who might actually react different based on the type of jersey it is aren't worth 200+ dollars extra.

Since you seem to want to wear and not just display, I don't see why you'd bother paying authentic.

narduch
03-15-2009, 03:31 PM
380 dollars for a jersey is absolutely moronic, ESPICIALLY now. The benefits of the 3-4 people in your entire life who might actually react different based on the type of jersey it is aren't worth 200+ dollars extra.

And lets not forget that these jersey's are probably being made in sweat shops for what probably amounts to about $5 of materials and labour.....

Dubz
03-15-2009, 05:28 PM
Or maybe your friends are just spoiled and out of touch, which is all I can come up with to describe a person who immediately asks "Is it a 400 dollar authentic?!" when somebody buys a new jersey.

No offense, but its a little out of line to call his friends ignorant for not being superficial and obsessed with how "authentic" a jersey is.

No offense taken, I actually said/meant people that know there is a difference....he said friends, whom probably dont fall into that category. Obviously they dont care (he said so) Hence the comment. I wasnt trying to be rude and was actually kind of agreeing. Thats why I said it was just my opinion. I was referring to a more knowledgeable fan, perhaps fans at the game(s). Which is what the OP said he intended on buying it for. Didnt mean to get out of line....

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-15-2009, 06:24 PM
just curious - those of you who collect authentic jerseys, do you just keep them for display, or do you acutally look at them as an investment to be sold at a later date?

Everyone I know who collects stuff like that does it for personal enjoyment - for display / basement decoration only. I've always been curious why the need to spend the extra cash (which isn't trivial for NHL jerseys) to go authentic when a signed replica would serve the same purpose?

Personal enjoyment for sure... unless I lose my job and end up on the streets or something. I'd want the resale value to be as high as possible just incase. I guess. I've got quite a collection of jerseys that I never wear b/c they are simply too big for my tiny frame or because they were so expensive. I guess I am fortunate in a way though because most of my really top of the line jersey's have been gifts from an ex bf/gf or family members. I'm planning on setting up a sick ass game room/bar with a pool table, dart board, big screen, etc.. My various authentic jersey's (especially the autographed ones) are gonna decorate the walls for sure. Beats having them stashed in my closet. :D

fleuryfan
03-16-2009, 09:29 AM
I have a Chris Drury replica jersey in small and it fits me just well. In the NHL.com shop, I looked up the size chart and a small is considered a 46 or a 50. They have both a 46 and a 50 size. Is there a big difference between these two sizes? The size thing is confusing me. I don't want to get something huge because NHL doesn't take returns on their customized jerseys. Thanks for all the help once again

nyrblue2
03-16-2009, 12:10 PM
I have a Chris Drury replica jersey in small and it fits me just well. In the NHL.com shop, I looked up the size chart and a small is considered a 46 or a 50. They have both a 46 and a 50 size. Is there a big difference between these two sizes? The size thing is confusing me. I don't want to get something huge because NHL doesn't take returns on their customized jerseys. Thanks for all the help once again
Is there a local store near you that sell jerseys so you can go try them on?

b_illin
03-16-2009, 12:42 PM

It's a 46" chest and a 50" chest so there is a 4 inch difference. 46" is like medium or large I think....

Hamsterkill
03-16-2009, 12:49 PM
I usually wear L to XL shirts and size 52 jerseys fit me perfectly.

Kyle
03-16-2009, 08:42 PM
No offense taken, I actually said/meant people that know there is a difference....he said friends, whom probably dont fall into that category. Obviously they dont care (he said so) Hence the comment. I wasnt trying to be rude and was actually kind of agreeing. Thats why I said it was just my opinion. I was referring to a more knowledgeable fan, perhaps fans at the game(s). Which is what the OP said he intended on buying it for. Didnt mean to get out of line....

I hear you, I read your usage of ignorant wrong. Its rarely used non-offensively but i see where you're comming from.

Doctego
03-16-2009, 08:49 PM
thanks alias..thats kind of why i am scared to buy from that site. :( i was wandering what a small would be in authentic NHL jerseys...size 48? I don't understand the number sizes when it comes to authentic jerseys. Can someone tell me what a small is equal to? thanks

Try this:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Toronto-Incorporated/Ice-Hockey-Jersey-Sizing-Chart.html

Scroll down for authentic sizes. Also, keep in mind what you are wearing underneath. Nothing like a jersey that is too tight.

Doctego
03-16-2009, 08:50 PM

If you are confused, go to a store and try some on. That will give you a confirmation on what size is best for you.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-16-2009, 08:59 PM
If you are confused, go to a store and try some on. That will give you a confirmation on what size is best for you.

Definitely the best advice on sizing up the perfect fit. Or even the next time you are down at the local arena itself.. try on a few. Surely every team around the league must offer both the authentic and the replicas, no?

Kaboominator
03-17-2009, 11:28 AM
I just got my Bergeron Jersey from ebay and i am SUPER impressed with the quality. It came from China so i was skeptical but it is an authentic replica, very heavy feel to it. All letters and numbers and patches are triple stitched on. along with the "A" on the front for alternate captain. I am really impressed. I received it in 4 business days. My winning bid was 45 bucks with a shipping charge of 30.00 so for approx 87 canadian i got this to my door. This guy has every jersey you can imagine also. The size is 50 which is equivalent of Large. The jersey also has the fight strap and all the "CI" tags as well.

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/jamily2009_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_mdoZ

Notice the Schenn jersey on the Bottom whomever was interested. Anyways i took a gamble and feel i paid a very respectable price and am way over-impressed with the quality and service ireceived.

alias
12-31-2011, 03:01 PM
anybody have any experiences with this site?

http://toonjersey.net

I hear the quality is very good, but for $35 I'm not sure if it really is as good as I hear.

Doctego
12-31-2011, 04:58 PM

I hear the quality is very good, but for $35 I'm not sure if it really is as good as I hear.

Never dealt with them but, for the price, those look really good.

ih8music
01-02-2012, 06:17 PM

Their site says shipping is $25/order for orders under $250 & you have to pay with PayPal or Western Union money order (and everything is non-refundable & non-exchangeable), in case you didn't know.

But aside from that, a $35 authentic jersey seems almost too good to be true. Try them out and report back!

alias
01-02-2012, 11:09 PM
Their site says shipping is $25/order for orders under $250 & you have to pay with PayPal or Western Union money order (and everything is non-refundable & non-exchangeable), in case you didn't know.

But aside from that, a $35 authentic jersey seems almost too good to be true. Try them out and report back!

A group of us are ordering so it should be over $250. Apparently a friend of a friend has one and says it's legit. I'll let you know in a few weeks when they come in.

Rocklobster
01-20-2012, 06:51 PM
did you get your jerseys in? is that site legit/worth it?

beely
01-21-2012, 01:09 AM
I like to know too.. i could use a leafs and a jays jersey

Doctego
01-21-2012, 07:27 AM
I like to know too.. i could use a leafs and a jays jersey

Running low on dust rags?:D

alias
01-21-2012, 11:53 AM
did you get your jerseys in? is that site legit/worth it?

since we're doing a mass order the guy isnt ordering them until early February to give everyone a chance to get their orders/money in. I'll keep you posted.

beely
01-21-2012, 12:28 PM
Running low on dust rags?:D

haha just you watch!
the planned parade will come to fruition :D

Rocklobster
01-21-2012, 05:14 PM
okay cool thanks alias.

Doctego
01-30-2012, 04:49 PM
A friend of mine ordered from here with good results:

http://www.yukijersey.com/en/index.asp

Doctego
02-25-2012, 05:48 PM
My wife's jersey just came in the mail from yukijersey and I have to say that it's pretty good. Heavier than most. Quite good for the price ($48).