PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Sabres

Pages : [1] 2

Spartan
12-06-2008, 04:42 PM
Buffalo called up Nathan Gerbe. He was an exciting player in college, can't wait to see him play at the NHL level. He is 5'6" 160lbs. destined to be the NHL's version of Spud Webb.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2008/12/06/sabres-gerbe.html

Slumping Sabres summon prospect Gerbe

Last Updated: Saturday, December 6, 2008 | 2:03 PM ET Comments1 (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2008/12/06/sabres-gerbe.html#socialcomments)Recommend1 (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2008/12/06/sabres-gerbe.html#)

CBC Sports (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/credit.html)

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/sports/photos/2008/10/03/gerbe-n-get-080928-392.jpgNathan Gerbe had two goals in the pre-season for Buffalo. (Rick Stewart/Getty Images)Struggling to win and struggling to score, the Buffalo Sabres are hoping for a big lift from the NHL's smallest prospect.
Rookie Nathan Gerbe was called up from the team's AHL affiliate in Portland, Maine, to play for the Sabres on Saturday night in Tampa Bay.
Listed generously at five-foot-six, 160 pounds, Gerbe ranks second on Portland with an impressive 24 points (14 goals) in his first season as a pro.
To make room for Gerbe, the Sabres sent Mark Mancari the Pirates' top scorer back to Portland. The rookie right wing had a goal and assist in seven games with Buffalo.
Drafted in the fifth round by Buffalo in 2005, Gerbe led the NCAA in scoring last season with 68 points and 35 goals in 43 regular-season games for Boston College. Those numbers earned the feisty centre a nomination for the Hobey Baker Award, given to the top collegiate player in the U.S.
Gerbe then dominated in the NCAA tournament, tying a record with seven goals and capturing most-outstanding-player honours at the Frozen Four after scoring eight points (five goals) in the final two contests. That included two goals and two assists in the Eagles' 4-1 win over Notre Dame in the championship game.
In May, the Sabres signed Gerbe to a three-year deal potentially worth $2.55 million US and invited him to training camp. Gerbe scored twice in the pre-season but wasn't in coach Lindy Ruff's immediate plans.
The Sabres (11-11-3), coming off a 2-1 loss at Florida on Thursday, have lost three straight and are 3-9-1 in their past 13 games.
Among the NHL's highest-scoring teams in the three seasons following the 2004-05 lockout, Buffalo has dropped to 24th this season with 2.56 goals per game, down from 3.06 in 2007-08.

bearcats
12-07-2008, 11:39 AM
sounds like the second coming of Briere

fleuryfan
12-08-2008, 10:45 AM
whose line is he playing on right now?

Spartan
12-08-2008, 01:04 PM
whose line is he playing on right now?

http://www.letsgosabres.com/pressbox/fullstory.php?newsid=10848

The Fourth Star
Nathan Gerbe. Sometimes NHL debuts aren't a big deal. Obviously Nathan Gerbe wanted his to show that he can play in the big leagues. Gerbe's 15:09 of ice time means that he played more than six Buffalo Sabres forwards. His +2 plus/minus rating shows that when he was on the ice, good things happened. He proved to have great chemistry with Roy and Stafford, which just might warrant keeping Gerbe up here for the near future. He also tied for the team lead in shots on goal with four and received his first minor penalty in the first. He will be a great player in this league. It will be exciting to watch him grow this year and in years to come.

oncogene
12-08-2008, 01:51 PM
So I guess this will be the Buffalo mix-bag thread?

Anyway... anyone here watch and pay attention to Buffalo team?

Why they just won't put the top 3 of Vanek, Roy, Pom together in even strength? It seems like they keep the pairings of Roy+Stafford and Hecht+Pom, and simply rotate them in 1st/2nd line. And as a result, Roy & Pom just seem to take turn struggling. I guess they want to "spread the offense".... but it doesn't seem to be working at all i think? Didn't Vanek+Roy+Pom play very well together last season??

Hamsterkill
12-08-2008, 02:11 PM
So I guess this will be the Buffalo mix-bag thread?

Anyway... anyone here watch and pay attention to Buffalo team?

Why they just won't put the top 3 of Vanek, Roy, Pom together in even strength? It seems like they keep the pairings of Roy+Stafford and Hecht+Pom, and simply rotate them in 1st/2nd line. And as a result, Roy & Pom just seem to take turn struggling. I guess they want to "spread the offense".... but it doesn't seem to be working at all i think? Didn't Vanek+Roy+Pom play very well together last season??
It was hardly ever the case that they were on the same line last season either.

Not positive why Ruff doesn't try it more. Perhaps the chemistry just isn't there.

oncogene
12-08-2008, 02:37 PM
It was hardly ever the case that they were on the same line last season either.

Not positive why Ruff doesn't try it more. Perhaps the chemistry just isn't there.

Oh I always thougth those 3 played together on ES last season... but I never watched much of Buffalo's games so I probably am wrong. However, I remember reading somewhere that last season, it was more like Roy & Pom carrying the team, not Vanek. Not sure how true is that tho.

Hamsterkill
12-08-2008, 02:53 PM
Oh I always thougth those 3 played together on ES last season... but I never watched much of Buffalo's games so I probably am wrong. However, I remember reading somewhere that last season, it was more like Roy & Pom carrying the team, not Vanek. Not sure how true is that tho.

Mostly true, except Vanek really started to get hot near the end of the season.

Last year, the ES lines were mostly Roy+Vanek on line 1 and Pominville+Hecht on line 2 from what I remember. The final member of those lines would rotate frequently, though Connolly would play with Hecht and Pom when he was healthy.

phaneuf6
12-08-2008, 06:16 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=258941&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_main

alias
12-08-2008, 07:15 PM
"The story adds that Quinn is actively looking to find a buyer, and that Research in Motion co-founder Jim Balsillie has been approached." :yes:

Bring 'em to the Hammer Jim! :hyper: :headbang:

edit: I know the above is denied by the team's other owner, but still....

Hamsterkill
12-08-2008, 07:21 PM
I don't see it happening. Buffalo is one of the strongest US hockey markets of late.

alias
12-08-2008, 08:02 PM
I don't see it happening. Buffalo is one of the strongest US hockey markets of late.

And how much of that success is due to Canadians crossing the border for a game? Our dollar had been doing great until recently, and is it a coincidence that this news comes out not long after the CDN dollar takes a dive?

oncogene
12-08-2008, 08:30 PM
"The story adds that Quinn is actively looking to find a buyer, and that Research in Motion co-founder Jim Balsillie has been approached." :yes:

Bring 'em to the Hammer Jim! :hyper: :headbang:

edit: I know the above is denied by the team's other owner, but still....

I think Jim Balsillie probably has contacts with 1/2 the teams in the league trying to buy one :)

But if we are gona get a relocated team, I don't want it to be Buffalo. There are few more teams that are doing MUCH worse that really should be relocated. Get 1 of those first.

For sure Buffalo gets alot of spill-overed Canadian hockey fans to their games, but I think even if we somehow do manage to have 2 teams in GTA, there will still be some ppl going to watch games in Buffalo, esp vs Canadian matchups. Of course... this' just IMO ;)

Hamsterkill
12-08-2008, 10:15 PM
And how much of that success is due to Canadians crossing the border for a game? Our dollar had been doing great until recently, and is it a coincidence that this news comes out not long after the CDN dollar takes a dive?

Buffalo for certain has the fan base in Western New York to fill seats even if the Canadian crossovers (who are mostly Toronto fans, I'd think) dried up. The two post-lockout seasons Buffalo had still has the buzz going.

alias
12-08-2008, 11:36 PM
Buffalo for certain has the fan base in Western New York to fill seats even if the Canadian crossovers (who are mostly Toronto fans, I'd think) dried up. The two post-lockout seasons Buffalo had still has the buzz going.

Yeah of course they have a fan base, so does Nashville/Atlanta/TBay, but I doubt they'd survive without the Canadians coming down for games. Toronto fans that can't go to Toronto games go to Sabres games. There's lots of people in the Hamilton/Niagara area that go to Sabres games for multiple reasons....better traffic, better ticket prices, it's closer for most....

Hamsterkill
12-09-2008, 12:56 AM
I know they do. What I'm saying is that they are not necessary for the Sabres (no offense, but Western NY can support the Sabres by themselves -- at least for the time being).

Hockeyis#1
12-09-2008, 12:37 PM
but I doubt they'd survive without the Canadians coming down for games.

I completely disagree. Buffalo isn't the south. Hockey is pretty big here. Living in PA to living here is a total 180. EVERYONE here follows the Sabres atleast a little. And most anyone in decent shape (and some who aren't) play puck to some extent.

I don't know of too many "struggling hockey cities" that have a 'Buffalo's Hottest Hockey Mom' contests...:lol:

FTR it would suck for Buffalo to lose the bills and Sabres in such a short span...

oncogene
12-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Yeah of course they have a fan base, so does Nashville/Atlanta/TBay, but I doubt they'd survive without the Canadians coming down for games. ....

Well, I'd think Buffalo has at least a BIGGER fan base than the other southern teams ;)

And I guess Buffalo has at least respectable ticket price? I've only tried to go to a Sabre game once, but couldn't get any tickets. There was a guy trying to sell his last 2 tickets for $150USD outside the arena. I just can't imagine there will be any scalpers in thos Nash/TB/etc teams. Why bother for scaplers when u can get $10-20 tickets any time!

Just saw an ad the other day while watching a game from the ATDHE feed... forgot what team it was exactly, but for sure one of those southern teams. The team is having a package deal, get tickets for TWO people, for THREE GAMES, including $1 hotdogs and soft drinks, for.............. $66 in upper level or $99 in lower level. That is just fucking kidding me.... 2 ppl going to any Canadian NHL games for 3 games, just 1 hotdog and 1 soft drink each in each game alone will probably cost you more than $66. :rolleyes:

chgorman
12-10-2008, 09:23 AM
Well, I'd think Buffalo has at least a BIGGER fan base than the other southern teams ;)

And I guess Buffalo has at least respectable ticket price? I've only tried to go to a Sabre game once, but couldn't get any tickets. There was a guy trying to sell his last 2 tickets for $150USD outside the arena. I just can't imagine there will be any scalpers in thos Nash/TB/etc teams. Why bother for scaplers when u can get $10-20 tickets any time!

Just saw an ad the other day while watching a game from the ATDHE feed... forgot what team it was exactly, but for sure one of those southern teams. The team is having a package deal, get tickets for TWO people, for THREE GAMES, including $1 hotdogs and soft drinks, for.............. $66 in upper level or $99 in lower level. That is just fucking kidding me.... 2 ppl going to any Canadian NHL games for 3 games, just 1 hotdog and 1 soft drink each in each game alone will probably cost you more than $66. :rolleyes:

It's not just the southern teams struggling... even the SC Champs are having problems. The Wings have a 'Homer for the Holidays' deal going on right now - tickets to any 3 remaining home gms, 3 food vouchers and a knit RW hat, for $99, which is a pretty sweet deal (thinking of jumping in on that myself).

BUF willbe fine. There are a lot of hardcore hky fans in BUF that will support the team through thick and thin. BUF is one of the best markets in the league in regards to fan support. Yeah, they def get revenue from Canadians going to gms, but I think they could still support a tm on their own, without the revenue from Candians going to gms if that were to happen for some reason.

MrScientist
12-10-2008, 09:42 PM
How do Buffalo fans not want to kill themselves? I was watching the BUF-TB game on Center Ice, and it had the Buffalo feed. Harry Neale is fucking garbage. He had such gems tonight as "Lecavalay", "Aaron Downie", and "erm..um..the goaltender." He has to be senile or something.

Hamsterkill
12-10-2008, 09:48 PM
How do Buffalo fans not want to kill themselves? I was watching the BUF-TB game on Center Ice, and it had the Buffalo feed. Harry Neale is fucking garbage. He had such gems tonight as "Lecavalay", "Aaron Downie", and "erm..um..the goaltender." He has to be senile or something.
Agree totally on Neale. Fans here just listen to Jeanerette and Ray I think.

nyrblue2
12-10-2008, 10:25 PM
Jeanneret is even worse to listen to...

Hamsterkill
12-10-2008, 10:34 PM

I can stand him after 5 years now, but the Sabres faithful that have been here longer swear by him. My roommate even turned on the radio broadcast for the Sabres-Pens game on Monday so that he could listen to Jeanneret instead of the Versus guys.

Buffalo87
12-15-2008, 12:31 AM

It all comes down to whether you're a Sabres fan basically. Sabres fans love him, everybody else generally hates him. Beyond his voice and his goal calls (primary reason for people hating him), I really think he calls a really good game compared to most other guys.

But agreed on Neale, not a big fan of his.

As far as the line situation that was discussed earlier. Hamster pretty much covered it but last year it was pretty much always a Roy-Vanek pairing and a Hecht-Poms pairing and their wingers kind of rotated in and out. This year after Vanek and Roy were split up it's mostly been Vanek-Hecht-Pominville and Roy-Stafford with that wing spot being rotated. Once Connolly comes back though I'd expect that it could be shuffled quite a bit.

alias
12-15-2008, 12:39 AM
Is Jeanneret the guy who would say "Dominik Hasek!!!" in that high pitched yell? Is he also the guy that invented "Pat LalalalalalalaFontaine!!!!!!!"

Hamsterkill
12-15-2008, 04:41 AM
Once Connolly comes back though I'd expect that it could be shuffled quite a bit.
But for how long? :rolleyes:

Hamsterkill
08-22-2009, 04:11 AM
So, I know that Buffalo really did need to add SOME size the team... but it seems like the management is now binging on it with ALL their draft picks and signings for the last two years. It's making me nervous that all the speed and skill we had during the first two post-lockout years will now just be reduced to Roy, Pominville and Vanek (and Connolly when all the king's horses and all the king's men aren't putting him back together...).

EDIT: I also just realized this summer that Jeanerret's son had been the announcer for the Erie Otters for a number of years (just left to broadcast for Portland - BUF's AHL affiliate). Perhaps that's why I could stand Rick better than most when I came to WNY.

Hamsterkill
03-28-2010, 01:12 AM
Why hello there, Derek Roy. For a while, I almost forgot you still played for us.

Chilly_Willy
03-28-2010, 11:09 AM
some pretty serious injuries have hit the team, hope they are not out long

Hamsterkill
03-28-2010, 01:23 PM
some pretty serious injuries have hit the team, hope they are not out long
If you mean Connolly, he should be fine (amazingly). The injury is just a flare up of one that he didn't miss any time for when it actually happened -- and it's a foot, not a leg or head thankfully.

The others like Kaleta are replaceable with prospects without a whole lot of difference. So long as Miller stays healthy, they should be okay.

Chilly_Willy
03-29-2010, 09:12 PM
Vanek is out too for something not sure what

WIS
04-05-2010, 02:02 PM
Can a Buffalo fan tell me about Tim Kennedy? What are his point projections?

Hamsterkill
04-05-2010, 07:31 PM
Can a Buffalo fan tell me about Tim Kennedy? What are his point projections?
About the same as Tyler Kennedy, from what I've seen of him. Similar type of player. If he gets time with Roy/Vanek or Connolly/Pominville, he'll put some up, but there's usually better people to fill those spots. He'd be useful in a very deep league, though.

WIS
04-05-2010, 08:14 PM
About the same as Tyler Kennedy, from what I've seen of him. Similar type of player. If he gets time with Roy/Vanek or Connolly/Pominville, he'll put some up, but there's usually better people to fill those spots. He'd be useful in a very deep league, though.
Thanks, this is what I was looking for.

What do you use to gouge potential future stars for keeper and dynasty leagues?

Hamsterkill
04-05-2010, 08:57 PM
I follow Junior and NCAA hockey somewhat. Apart from that, hockeysfuture.

Keep in mind I've only had one year of keeper experience now...

Hamsterkill
04-11-2010, 05:37 AM
Sabres v Devils tonight with 2nd place on the line. I'm pretty sure the Sabres would prefer to draw Montreal or Philly over Boston.

Hamsterkill
05-02-2010, 07:06 AM
It's sounding like the Sabres may receive a more drastic offseason retooling than they've gotten in a while.

Regier has been saying things like "I will try to be busy" and "I think we have to make some changes".

He also said "I don't know" about whether Connolly would be back next season before clarifying that he is signed for another year, but the whole roster will be evaluated.

Based on what I saw of the Buffalo-Boston series, I'll say that I really look forward to seeing some changes in the roster. Either the problem is that the players are collectively too easily pushed into a 'panic mode' where they make sloppy plays whenever pressured, or they are still lacking the heart they lost when Drury packed his bags for NYC. The Sabres roster has a lot of talent, but rarely put it on full display. Something needs to be shaken up -- and since Ruff is sticking around, the shakeup has to be in the dressing room.

Hamsterkill
09-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Current Sabres lines in camp:

Vanek - Roy - Stafford
Hecht - Connolly - Pominville
Gerbe - Gaustad - Grier
Ennis - Niedermayer - McCormick
Stuart - Ellis - Kaleta

Considering there are five of them, these are clearly not final.

two24four
09-23-2010, 03:28 PM
Current Sabres lines in camp:

Vanek - Roy - Stafford
Gerbe - Gaustad - Grier
Ennis - Niedermayer - McCormick
Stuart - Ellis - Kaleta

Considering there are five of them, these are clearly not final.

How has Kassian looked at camp?

Hamsterkill
09-23-2010, 03:34 PM
How has Kassian looked at camp?
Can't say I know anything first hand since I'm in Maryland. Buffalo News did this piece on him yesterday, though. Which includes this tidbit:

Kassian has been very good, and the people in charge have noticed, and he is making a name for himself. Ruff mentioned him when rattling off a list of players he found most impressive in camp. He later used the word "dominated" when describing the physical winger's physical work around the net. Yeah, they've noticed.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/bucky-gleason/article197305.ece

It's mostly about him trying to prove he's a better guy than his screwup this summer would have them believe, though. It also mentions that he's been limited in his hitting at camp so as not to hurt other Sabres and they're anxious to see what he can do in preseason games against other teams.

two24four
09-24-2010, 10:46 AM
Thanks.

I kind of hope he plays vs the Leafs tomorrow night, would love to see him play an NHL ex game, as long as he does not hurt anyone, lol.

Hamsterkill
09-25-2010, 11:56 AM
Lines for the game against the Leafs tonight:

Vanek - Roy - Stafford
Adam - Connolly - Pominville
Ennis - Niedermayer - Kassian
Gerbe - Gaustad - McCormick

Myers - Morrisonn
Butler - Schiestel
Sekera - McNabb

Miller
Enroth

two24four
09-25-2010, 12:00 PM
Lines for the game against the Leafs tonight:

Vanek - Roy - Stafford
Adam - Connolly - Pominville
Ennis - Niedermayer - Kassian
Gerbe - Gaustad - McCormick

Myers - Morrisonn
Butler - Schiestel
Sekera - McNabb

Miller
Enroth

Nice I look forward to seeing Kass play.

Maybe he will go a round with Rosehill tonight.

Hamsterkill
09-25-2010, 12:13 PM
Nice I look forward to seeing Kass play.

Maybe he will go a round with Rosehill tonight.
Hopefully I'll find a way to see it as well. lol

Zangetsu
09-25-2010, 02:37 PM
^^^This guy is usually pretty reliable.

http://www.theblanetwork.com/

two24four
09-26-2010, 10:29 AM
Kass looked good last night, he looked like an NHL player.

He drilled Hanson in the 1st, tryed to fight Komi, was tough to get the puck off (nothing new) was making some nice passes, his skating looked ok as well, that's always been his down fall. He just might have a chance with the Sabres this season.

I like to call him little Lindros, because he's built like a truck, can score, can pass, hit and fight, everything Lindros did before his concussions, dont get me wrong Kass is nowhere near Lindros' level when he was at the top of his game, but he's good.

Hamsterkill
09-26-2010, 01:02 PM
Kass has to beat Cody McCormick and Patrick Kaleta for a roster spot pretty convincingly if he's going to stay with Buffalo this year. The Sabres have both McCormick and Kaleta on one-way contracts this year, I think, while Kass has not signed an EL contract yet. And sadly, Darcy's already said he's gone over the Sabres' projected budget. Granted, Kassian can still convince he's worth it, but I'm still doubtful he sticks to start the year.

Hamsterkill
09-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Kassian will be in the lineup against the Leafs again tomorrow.

Hamsterkill
09-27-2010, 11:08 AM
Tonight's Sabres lineup (lines in no particular order it seems):

Stafford - Roy - Mancari
Hecht - Gaustad - McCormick
Gerbe - Ellis - Grier
Ennis - Byron - Kassian

Leopold - Montador
Butler - Persson
Weber - Sekera

Lalime
Enroth

chgorman
09-27-2010, 11:47 AM
Tonight's Sabres lineup (lines in no particular order it seems):

Stafford - Roy - Mancari
Hecht - Gaustad - McCormick
Gerbe - Ellis - Grier
Ennis - Byron - Kassian

Leopold - Montador
Butler - Persson
Weber - Sekera

Lalime
Enroth

According to rotoworld, Ennis out for tonight's gm:

Tyler Ennis (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NHL&id=2587)-C- Sabres (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_news.aspx?sport=NHL&majteam=BUF) Sep. 27 - 12:02 pm et http://www.rotoworld.com/images/right_corner_player_news.gif http://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif http://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif http://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif http://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif
Tyler Ennis will be absent from Monday's exhibition contest due to a family matter.
He left the team to attend to his personal matter and we will update his status when we learn more. Luke Adam, who was going to sit out the game, will dress in his place.
Source: Sabres Edge (http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2010/09/gameday-update-ennis-out-for-tonight.html)

phaneuf6
09-27-2010, 11:48 AM
What's up with Ennis being on the 3rd and 4th lines all preseason?

two24four
09-27-2010, 11:50 AM

Same for Kass, they are both better then alot of the players in that lineup.

Hamsterkill
09-27-2010, 12:24 PM
The Sabres seem to be toying with having all lines composed of 1 small talented guy, 1 medium-sized talent/grit guy, and 1 mostly grit guy. Can't say I'm a fan of this experiment... but we'll see how it works out.

Hamsterkill
09-27-2010, 05:03 PM
Sabres and Kassian have started up contract talks again (which were broken off after his assault charge).

Hamsterkill
09-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Tonight's lineup against the Canadiens:

Vanek - Roy - Stafford
Gerbe - Adam - Mancari
Ellis - Byron - Parrish

Butler - Myers
Weber - Montador
Leopold - Schiestel

Goalies not announced.

two24four
10-01-2010, 11:49 PM
I see Kass only had 4:01 of ice time tonight, what happend?

Hamsterkill
10-02-2010, 06:42 AM
I've not heard anything about it, yet.

two24four
10-02-2010, 10:45 AM
Sounds like he left the game in the 1st with a foot injury.

I read what some Buffalo fans have had to say about him, alot seem to think he needs another year back in the OHL.

Hamsterkill
10-02-2010, 01:03 PM
Kassian has been returned to Windsor.

two24four
10-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Kassian's foot must be ok, playing in his 1st game of the season for Windsor today he has 1 goal and 3 assists after 2.

Hamsterkill
10-28-2010, 10:33 AM
Kassian's assault charge was dropped after a one minute court hearing. In return, Kassian has to do 25 hours community service, donate $500 to charity, and pay to fix the chipped tooth of the guy he punched.

two24four
10-28-2010, 11:15 AM
Kassian's assault charge was dropped after a one minute court hearing. In return, Kassian has to do 25 hours community service, donate $500 to charity, and pay to fix the chipped tooth of the guy he punched.

I saw this yesterday, now everyone can move on.

I hope the Windsor players are smart and stay away from that bar/pub, that was the 2nd Spits player to get into fight down there in about a month I think it was.

Not very smart on the other guys's part to try and fight Kass, like what are you thinking, even if the guy has never watched hockey before, Kass is huge, he's built like a truck, even better, he's left handed so dude prob never saw that coming.

WIS
10-28-2010, 05:41 PM
I saw this yesterday, now everyone can move on.

I hope the Windsor players are smart and stay away from that bar/pub, that was the 2nd Spits player to get into fight down there in about a month I think it was.

Not very smart on the other guys's part to try and fight Kass, like what are you thinking, even if the guy has never watched hockey before, Kass is huge, he's built like a truck, even better, he's left handed so dude prob never saw that coming.
Stopped going there years ago. I remember a lot of the Spits there. A lot of underagers too.

two24four
11-01-2010, 11:34 AM
Sounds like Kass is going to sign his entry level contract with the Sabres today.

Hamsterkill
11-30-2010, 12:12 PM
So Terry Pegula reportedly wants to buy the Sabres? Okay, seems like he'd make a decent owner. Not as if I really mind Golisano, though. I'd only really care if I knew what he would intend to do about spending to the cap... Or possibly getting rid of Regier.

phaneuf6
11-30-2010, 12:13 PM
So Terry Pegula reportedly wants to buy the Sabres? Okay, seems like he'd make a decent owner. Not as if I really mind Golisano, though. I'd only really care if I knew what he would intend to do about spending to the cap... Or possibly getting rid of Regier.

Regier is hardly the problem in Buffalo.

Hamsterkill
11-30-2010, 12:47 PM
Regier is hardly the problem in Buffalo.

No. The players are. But that's kind of his fault.

two24four
11-30-2010, 01:33 PM
Buffalo would be stuid to get rid of Regier and/or Ruff, both should not be going anywhere. But if they do ever fire Ruff, I hope Burke makes a call to him.

phaneuf6
11-30-2010, 01:56 PM
No. The players are. But that's kind of his fault.

He's put a great team together given his budget. He's drafted well since he took over as GM. I don't think you can fault a GM who's iced a competitive team year after year on such a small budget.

Hamsterkill
11-30-2010, 06:00 PM
Buffalo would be stuid to get rid of Regier and/or Ruff, both should not be going anywhere. But if they do ever fire Ruff, I hope Burke makes a call to him.
I didn't say anything about Ruff. I don't want Ruff going anywhere, yet.

He's put a great team together given his budget. He's drafted well since he took over as GM. I don't think you can fault a GM who's iced a competitive team year after year on such a small budget.

It's a team that year after year is supposed to be performing better than they do, based on the budget. Yes, they don't spend to the cap, but their payroll is *not* something that should be described as "such a small". The Sabres payroll is currently higher than the Blackhawks'.

The players we have are not the players the Sabres need to win. Year after year, though, Darcy hardly does anything but overpay for even more disappointing additions at the deadline.

As for the draft, they do alright. They do worse than they appear to, in my opinion though, because they are forced to make use of the players in their system because they can't attract better players. This sets themselves up to overpay those players once their contracts come up. This year I was disappointed with the picks they made, personally. A team already stocked with too many pro-level defensemen picked even more defense with 3 of their first 4 draft picks.

Finally, there's the Vanek situation. I'm more forgiving than most Buffalo fans for this, as I understand that, at the time, Darcy didn't have any choice but to match the offer sheet after Drury and Briere left. Still, it can't be argued that that move wasn't a mistake with the Sabres only making the playoffs once since that year (last year) and having Vanek now instead of having Hall, Eberle, and Paajarvi to go along with Myers, Ennis, Kassian, and now Pysyk True, Vanek being with Edmonton instead of Buffalo might have moved picks around, but still, it would have been a better situation than having an underachiving Vanek being paid $7m/yr for another three years after this one.

two24four
11-30-2010, 06:19 PM
I know you did not say anything about Ruff, but a few weeks ago there was rumors about Ruff getting fired or not.

One of the best pickups Darcy has made was getting Montador, he's very underrated.

two24four
12-24-2010, 01:47 PM
Pierre LeBrun twitter.

Sabres announce Derek Roy will undergo surgery in the next few days to repair a torn quad tendon. He will be out 4-6 months.

phaneuf6
12-24-2010, 01:50 PM
Great, Roy and Datsyuk both down in one week for my team.

two24four
12-24-2010, 01:51 PM
Great, Roy and Datsyuk both down in one week for my team.

Same here in the one year league we are in.

Hamsterkill
12-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Great... that will make getting to the playoffs a lot harder...

WIS
12-24-2010, 09:41 PM
Same here in the one year league we are in.
How the mighty will fall :evilgrin:

Hamsterkill
12-30-2010, 02:10 PM
Still just rumor for now, but...

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WGRZ) -- A source close to the situation tells 2 On Your Side's Scott Brown that the sale of the Buffalo Sabres to Pennsylvania billionaire Terry Pegula is expected to be announced at some point after the World Juniors Championship wraps up next week.

We're told the timing of the announcement is being dictated by Sabres owner Tom Golisano.

Golisano doesn't want an announcement regarding the sale of the team detracting attention from the tournament, which is a point of pride for the Sabres' organization.

Our source says that Golisano has reached an agreement in principle for the sale of the team to Pegula.

Now, the only thing left in terms of Pegula owning the team is approval by the NHL's Board of Governors, but given Pegula's wealth, and his commitment to keeping the team in Buffalo, that's expected to be a mere formality.

Given that, it's possible that Pegula could take over the team before the end of this season.

As part of the sale, it's expected that team President Larry Quinn and Chief Operating Officer Dan DiPofi, who both own small pieces of the team, would be bought out as well.

Pegula is expected to bring in his own management team.

Quinn denied to 2 On Your Side that any sale of the team is imminent.

Golisano saved the team in Buffalo when he bought it out of bankruptcy for $92 million, which included about $30 million in debt, in April of 2003. However much, if not all of that debt was forgiven.

With a sale price estimated at about $175 million, Golisano could make about $100 million in the deal.

http://www.wgrz.com/sports/pro_hockey/nhl/sabres/story.aspx?storyid=101994&catid=140

two24four
01-06-2011, 01:17 PM
If I was a Sabres fan, I would be so pumped that both Kassian and Foligno are coming in the next year or two, they are going to make that team so much better, have fun watching them, sucks they are in the Leafs divsion though.

Sabres have a small team now, but help is on the way with lot's of size.

Hamsterkill
01-06-2011, 02:40 PM
If I was a Sabres fan, I would be so pumped that both Kassian and Foligno are coming in the next year or two, they are going to make that team so much better, have fun watching them, sucks they are in the Leafs divsion though.

Sabres have a small team now, but help is on the way with lot's of size.

A few Sabres blogs have already written about Kassian and Foligno's performance in the World Jrs.

That said, Roy, Ennis, and Pominville aren't likely to be anywhere any time soon and that's still a lot of smallness in the top 6. :D

Hamsterkill
02-01-2011, 05:25 PM
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2011/02/ruff-turned-down-sabres-offer-of-extension.html

In the wake of today's news regarding Darcy, did you get a contract extension in the fall?
"I did not, no."
Were you offered one?
"Yes I was."
Did you reject it?
"It's a situation that really I'd rather not talk about. It's nothing to do ... They were gracious in what they offered me."
So your contract goes through this season, correct?
"Correct."
Do you want to stay?
"Yeah, I want to stay."
Have you told Terry Pegula you want to stay?
"No. We had a conversation about hockey and that's as far as I'll go."
Mr. Pegula, you have your first job as new owner... get it done.

Hamsterkill
02-23-2011, 01:02 PM
If there were doubts about Pegula’s commitment to bringing a championship to Buffalo, he took care of them, too, by promising all but a blank check to general manager Darcy Regier.

“Starting today, there will be no financial mandates on the Buffalo Sabres hockey department,” the Pennsylvania natural gas billionaire said Tuesday at HSBC Arena, with the players he inherits sitting to his left and the ones he spent years watching—Perreault, Larry Playfair and others—at his right.

Pegula immediately put to rest doubts about the future of coach Lindy Ruff, saying he and his staff will remain in place. Ruff, the NHL’s only coach to win 500 games with the same team, is in the final year of his contract but did not accept a contract extension offered to him last fall. Regier, also in the final year of his contract, signed a two-year extension earlier this season.

“Starting today,” Pegula said, “the Buffalo Sabres’ reason for existence will be to win a Stanley Cup.”
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=Ahh9.jwT2WLPbxxBOkAqeaZ7vLYF?slug=ap-sabres-pegula

I'm liking what this guy has to say so far!

phaneuf6
02-23-2011, 01:04 PM
Yea, I watched the presser yesterday introducing him. He seems like he has a real passion for the team and really wants to build a championship team.

Hamsterkill
02-23-2011, 08:03 PM
I'm wondering if the moving of Rivet is preparation for bringing in some deadline salary to the Sabres already...

alias
03-05-2011, 05:47 PM
huge win for the sabres. they should sneak into that 8th spot and into the playoffs.

phaneuf6
03-05-2011, 05:47 PM
huge win for the sabres. they should sneak into that 8th spot and into the playoffs.

Fuck you.

szuturon
03-05-2011, 05:55 PM
fuck you.
+1

Doctego
03-05-2011, 06:01 PM
Fuck you.

Agreed.:D

two24four
03-05-2011, 06:17 PM
I really think the Sabres will get the 7th spot, and the Rangers, Canes and Leafs will be fighting over the 8th.

Hamsterkill
03-05-2011, 07:04 PM
:lol: I'm glad you guys are optimistic. Personally, Buffalo's let me down too many times when there's something on line for me to get my hopes up too much.

canuckthug
03-05-2011, 07:21 PM
Agreed.:D

haha, possible round 1 playoff matchup...

Hamsterkill
03-13-2011, 06:22 PM
Really liking what I've been seeing from the Tylers this past month. Myers in particular has been amazing.

Rocklobster
03-13-2011, 07:56 PM
yeah really happy with ennis right now. 24 pts in last 26 games.

Hamsterkill
03-31-2011, 09:17 AM
Is it wrong for me to hope that the Sabres stay in 7th place rather than make it to 6th so that I can go to their playoff games in DC?

Gern Blansten
03-31-2011, 10:45 AM
*chuckle*

No, but I think Tampa would like that first round match up too. :D

two24four
04-01-2011, 10:44 AM
What is the word on Miller, hear anything Ham? I have seen a few things on twitter saying the injury could be worse then they thought.

Just for the record, someone asked Barnaby what he's hearing on Miller, he said 'not good but just a rumor, trying to confirm'.

I wonder if Dion's shot is really the cause for this.

Hamsterkill
04-01-2011, 11:57 AM
He's not at practice today with either the injured players (Roy, Grier, etc.) or the regular players. Hoping the Buffalo News gets something out of Ruff after the practice ends.

Hamsterkill
04-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Ruff still saying Miller's day-to-day with an upper body injury. Miller will travel with the Sabres, but is probably doubtful for playing this weekend.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2011/04/miller-still-day-to-day-will-make-road-trip.html

Hamsterkill
04-01-2011, 05:22 PM
Well now it looks like Miller isn't even traveling to DC, now. I'm thinking we may not see him until the playoffs.

two24four
06-25-2011, 11:22 AM
Buffalo sure does like it's small players, they drafted Catenacci in round 3. He can fly, pretty good player as well, was the 1st overall pick in the OHL a few years ago, good pick.

Hamsterkill
10-06-2011, 12:55 PM
Pominville named captain for this season. No surprise there.

Doctego
10-18-2011, 08:14 AM
For anyone in the know, what's up with Ennis? Many people here were predicting big things for this kid this season. I'm not ready to cut bait after just 4 games but how has he looked? I haven't seen any of their games so all I see is a big goose egg.

Hamsterkill
10-18-2011, 09:22 AM
For anyone in the know, what's up with Ennis? Many people here were predicting big things for this kid this season. I'm not ready to cut bait after just 4 games but how has he looked? I haven't seen any of their games so all I see is a big goose egg.
Ennis has been playing 3rd line with Leino and Boyes. That line hasn't looked like it's really been gelling yet. Ruff even threw Kaleta in place of Boyes on that line for a period recently to try and get Leino and Ennis going. Basically, that third line has looked the weakest of the four so far -- even more so than McCormick/Gaustad/Kaleta. Give them some time, though. Ruff will eventually get them going, or else he'll throw a wrench into the line whenever Hecht gets back.

phaneuf6
10-18-2011, 09:50 AM
Ennis has been playing 3rd line with Leino and Boyes. That line hasn't looked like it's really been gelling yet. Ruff even threw Kaleta in place of Boyes on that line for a period recently to try and get Leino and Ennis going. Basically, that third line has looked the weakest of the four so far -- even more so than McCormick/Gaustad/Kaleta. Give them some time, though. Ruff will eventually get them going, or else he'll throw a wrench into the line whenever Hecht gets back.

That sounds like an awfully soft line. None of those guys have been known for their willingness to go into the corners and get the puck. Then again, there aren't many of those guys on the Buffalo roster. I'd like to see what Gaustad could do between Boyes and Ennis.

two24four
10-18-2011, 09:56 AM
Sounds like Kassian is off to a great start in the AHL, he will go into the corners, haha.

Hamsterkill
10-18-2011, 09:58 AM
That sounds like an awfully soft line. None of those guys have been known for their willingness to go into the corners and get the puck. Then again, there aren't many of those guys on the Buffalo roster. I'd like to see what Gaustad could do between Boyes and Ennis.
That's actually they he threw Kaleta on the line in place of Boyes last game. His complaint was no one on the line was going to the net.

two24four
10-18-2011, 09:03 PM
What a goal at the end of the 2nd tonight right off the faceoff, great set play.

Doctego
11-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Kaleta suspended 4 games by NHL.

Hamsterkill
11-03-2011, 03:28 PM
Not surprising. Would've been a suspension in the NFL, too.

gogoayane
11-18-2011, 02:46 PM
A question to Sabres fans... Do you see Miller being replaced by Enroth down the role as the team's #1 goalie? Miller have one more year left and Enroth will be a RFA end of the year and starting to prove he can play a bigger role with the team.

Hamsterkill
11-18-2011, 03:02 PM
A question to Sabres fans... Do you see Miller being replaced by Enroth down the role as the team's #1 goalie? Miller have one more year left and Enroth will be a RFA end of the year and starting to prove he can play a bigger role with the team.
Highly unlikely. Enroth is good, but he still can't touch Miller when Miller's on his game.

Enroth will allow more breaks for Miller, but I don't think anything can take his #1 status away.

chgorman
11-18-2011, 04:53 PM

Miller has two yrs left on his deal after this year and Enroth has one more after this year.

gogoayane
11-19-2011, 01:25 AM
Thanks guys... was having a chat with a friend about back up's uprises and just wondering if Enroth would be a starter in the near future (maybe with other teams)

two24four
11-24-2011, 09:04 PM
Zack Kassian was called up by the Sabres. I thought they should have called him up for last nights game.

phaneuf6
11-24-2011, 10:09 PM
Zack Kassian was called up by the Sabres. I thought they should have called him up for last nights game.

Exactly. Gotta think he'll get a good look though now that he's up.

Hamsterkill
11-30-2011, 06:50 PM
I'm starting to hear the Sabres are interested in the Bobby Ryan sweepstakes too. Doubt they can compete with an offer from Toronto if the Leafs put Schenn on the table, though. A very excitable Buffalo News guy floated the idea of Miller for Ryan. Don't see that happening at all.

I could see the Sabres putting Stafford, Kassian and Pysyk on the table, though... Maybe Gragnani too... I don't think Myers is the type of defenseman the Ducks would be looking for, but if so, he's probably not untouchable when Ryan's on the other side of the deal.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
11-30-2011, 07:14 PM
Hell, who isn't in the Bobby Ryan discussions? Hear the one about Jordan Staal + Tangradi and maybe a pick for Bobby Ryan? lol. I hear Anahiem wants some young and talented depth at center and J.Staal would def. provide them that... he could florish as a 2nd line center in the right situation. And his value is about as good as it gets right now. On paper, trading with the Pens makes a ton of sense.

I LOVE me some Jordan Staal but a top four of Sid/Ryan, Geno/Neal, ridiculous!

But seriously, I doubt it! Plus, Burke will give up his next 5 first rounders (lol) for Ryan so I won't be surprised to see him go to Toronto. Ryan will likely get moved but it's really a waiting game at this point.. I am pretty sure practically every team out there has some Bobby Ryan rumors floating around though.

Doctego
11-30-2011, 07:17 PM
I just want to see Ennis on the ice. A point wouldn't hurt, either.

Hamsterkill
11-30-2011, 07:46 PM
Hell, who isn't in the Bobby Ryan discussions? Hear the one about Jordan Staal + Tangradi and maybe a pick for Bobby Ryan? lol. I hear Anahiem wants some young and talented depth at center and J.Staal would def. provide them that... he could florish as a 2nd line center in the right situation. And his value is about as good as it gets right now. On paper, trading with the Pens makes a ton of sense.

I LOVE me some Jordan Staal but a top four of Sid/Ryan, Geno/Neal, ridiculous!

But seriously, I doubt it! Plus, Burke will give up his next 5 first rounders (lol) for Ryan so I won't be surprised to see him go to Toronto. Ryan will likely get moved but it's really a waiting game at this point.. I am pretty sure practically every team out there has some Bobby Ryan rumors floating around though.
While seeing him with Sid would be great and Staal really does deserve to be a top-six guy somewhere, I love having the Pens be able to frustrate opponents at every turn with lines centered by our current crop of guys. When a team is always facing one of Crosby/Malkin/Staal on the other side of the ice, you have to think it's fairly demoralizing. :D

I just want to see Ennis on the ice. A point wouldn't hurt, either.
Should be pretty close now. :lol:

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
11-30-2011, 08:04 PM
While seeing him with Sid would be great and Staal really does deserve to be a top-six guy somewhere, I love having the Pens be able to frustrate opponents at every turn with lines centered by our current crop of guys. When a team is always facing one of Crosby/Malkin/Staal on the other side of the ice, you have to think it's fairly demoralizing. :D

Should be pretty close now. :lol:

Oh I totally agree with you! I love Jordan Staal and the way he is playing right now. Just like Sid, Geno, Tanger & Flower -- I couldn't imagine him in another uni. Pens are a top team in this league for a reason. This current line up is SCF ready. I don't see any reason why they NEED to make a push for Ryan, which is exactly why I don't think he will end up in Pitt. Would be kind of sick tho. However, Ray Shero certainly won't overpay for Bobby Ryan and if you ask me, Shero really has a history of winning & owning the trades that he has made in Pittsburgh. However, Ducks shopping mid season and guys like Burke looking into acquiring Ryan will prevent Shero from making out like a bandit in this one...

At this point, you gotta figure Toronto into the top of the running (if they really want him) but where Ryan ends up is anyone's guess. :dunno:

canuckthug
12-03-2011, 09:55 PM
Miller got run again today.. by Jordin Tootoo. He took matters into his own hands but 3 other Sabres intervened. I think this was his 1st game back from Concussion as well.

two24four
12-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Kassian is a beast, the moose is loose. He looks like he might be staying the way he's playing.

Hamsterkill
01-19-2012, 10:11 AM
I'm baffled by the Sabres this season. They seem to be getting worse as the season goes on instead of better. Seems like they only have 3 players on the team sometimes.

phaneuf6
01-19-2012, 11:00 AM
I'm baffled by the Sabres this season. They seem to be getting worse as the season goes on instead of better. Seems like they only have 3 players on the team sometimes.

They're certainly not getting production out of the guys they should be that's for sure. I look at the roster and think that Roy, Miller, Leino, and Ennis are the 4 guys you have to look for to turn this thing around. Pominville and Vanek have been great all year, but outside of those two no one has really performed this year.

two24four
01-19-2012, 11:12 AM
Alot of people think Miller wants a trade out to one of the California teams to be closer to his wife.

Hamsterkill
01-19-2012, 12:14 PM
They're certainly not getting production out of the guys they should be that's for sure. I look at the roster and think that Roy, Miller, Leino, and Ennis are the 4 guys you have to look for to turn this thing around. Pominville and Vanek have been great all year, but outside of those two no one has really performed this year.
Those seem to be the only two consistent scorers. A couple of defenders are still doing okay, like Gragnani, but the main guys on defense that truly should be doing better are causing problems too.

Alot of people think Miller wants a trade out to one of the California teams to be closer to his wife.
I've heard that rumor, too, and while it *could* be true, I don't buy that he'd let it affect his game. He's way too much of a competitor for that. He seems genuinely frustrated and angry with himself for his sub-par play so far.

phaneuf6
01-19-2012, 12:17 PM
The question is, do Sabres fans (and management obviously) have enough confidence in Enroth as an NHL starter to pull the trigger on a deal if one comes along?

Hamsterkill
01-19-2012, 12:26 PM
The question is, do Sabres fans (and management obviously) have enough confidence in Enroth as an NHL starter to pull the trigger on a deal if one comes along?
Well it depends on the deal, really. Enroth still doesn't look like he'll ever be Miller's equal, if you ask me, but he has convinced a lot of Sabres fans that he's capable of being a starter in the league. Personally, I'd rather keep Miller and trade Enroth if it came down to it, but *if* Miller does want out (and he's said everything to contrary publicly, so far), I think management and fans would survive a deal... provided it's no Milbury-like trade.

phaneuf6
01-19-2012, 12:45 PM
I mean, any of the California teams would be sending a goaltender back too in all likelihood. Hiller would be most likely as I don't see Niemi or Quick being replaced by their GMs. It would be a blockbuster that's for sure.

How has Myers played this year?

Hamsterkill
01-19-2012, 12:50 PM
I mean, any of the California teams would be sending a goaltender back too in all likelihood. Hiller would be most likely as I don't see Niemi or Quick being replaced by their GMs. It would be a blockbuster that's for sure.

How has Myers played this year?
Myers started off rather shaky again and then got hurt. To me, he seems to be starting to turn it around, but he still needs to be playing better at both ends of the ice.

canuckthug
01-21-2012, 12:52 AM

Miller is having a bad season. If i was a Sabre fan or part of the management i would not trade Miller. I think the best option is to keep rotating the two goalies this year (see if one gets hot) and see what Miller does in 2012/2013. [unless the proper deal comes along like Hamsterkill eluded too]. Give him another chance because he was so technically sound the Olympic year (his MVP like season) that this must be the anomaly. I think the Lucic hit has a lot to do with his stuggles. If the Sabres continue to struggle and Miller is inconsistent next year, then a trade might be the best thing for everyone.

At this point and time IMO, the question is, should the Sabres fire Lindy Ruff??
I think this is his 15th season. Every coach gets fired and it finally might be his time. It appears the players have tuned him out?!?! That is usually the sign for an imminent coaching change...

Hamsterkill
01-21-2012, 01:08 PM
At this point and time IMO, the question is, should the Sabres fire Lindy Ruff??
I think this is his 15th season. Every coach gets fired and it finally might be his time. It appears the players have tuned him out?!?! That is usually the sign for an imminent coaching change...
To be honest, I don't think that happens. Some fans and media members have suggested it, but far more have advocated for the firing of Regier. Neither will be fired before the end of the season, IMO, and if only one of them is, it will be Regier. That said, I personally think that they'll both stick around till next season.

two24four
01-21-2012, 01:21 PM
If the Sabres ever did fire Ruff, he would be picked up by another team in about an hour.

Hamsterkill
02-14-2012, 03:42 PM
On thing I don't get, and it may just be because I haven't had a chance to see that many Sabres games this year, is why Gragnani is getting so much hate from the Buffalo fans and media. I've never seen a team's clear +/- leader made into such a goat -- especially as a rookie...

Hamsterkill
03-07-2012, 11:56 PM
7-1-2 run going here... I'm starting to think I may have given up hope of the playoffs prematurely.

canuckthug
03-08-2012, 02:50 AM
Hey Hamster, has Pominville always been the Captain because I coulda swore Roy was wearing the C earlier. I know Drury and Briere switched so im curious if Lindy Ruff has gone back to the 2 captain system again.

canuckthug
03-08-2012, 02:55 AM
7-1-2 run going here... I'm starting to think I may have given up hope of the playoffs prematurely.
Lets see what you guys do against the B's in Beantown tonight. (u can do it Winnipeg!!)

Hamsterkill
03-08-2012, 08:40 AM
Hey Hamster, has Pominville always been the Captain because I coulda swore Roy was wearing the C earlier. I know Drury and Briere switched so im curious if Lindy Ruff has gone back to the 2 captain system again.

Roy has never worn the C as far as I'm aware (not even the season they rotated the captaincy after Drury and Briere left I don't think) and certainly hasn't this season. Pominville is the only captain they have this season.

canuckthug
03-08-2012, 05:31 PM
Roy has never worn the C as far as I'm aware (not even the season they rotated the captaincy after Drury and Briere left I don't think) and certainly hasn't this season. Pominville is the only captain they have this season.

Thanks for clearing that up. Just curious that's all.

BTW, I actually had the Sabres winning the division and it looks like they're finally living up to some of the hype. It should be a tough game for the Sabres tonight on a b2b. In other news, I bet guys want the Nucks to destroy the Jets tonight. haha..

edit: save the Hodgson/Kassian talk for later.

canuckthug
03-22-2012, 01:19 AM
edit: save the Hodgson/Kassian talk for later.

Hodgson is starting to heat up. 0 points, -5 in the first 10 games but now has 2g, 2a in the last 2 games.

Hamsterkill
04-03-2012, 09:31 AM
I never truly realized how dumb the hockey writers at the Buffalo News are until this season... Can we trade Bucky Gleason to Montreal or something?

alias
04-03-2012, 12:06 PM
I never truly realized how dumb the hockey writers at the Buffalo News are until this season... Can we trade Bucky Gleason to Montreal or something?

we have enough idiotic writers....in english and french

Hamsterkill
04-05-2012, 08:55 PM
Well, there go the playoffs... Now I get to listen to my co-workers rub it in that the Caps managed to squeak in ahead of the Sabres... sigh

Hamsterkill
07-18-2012, 04:19 PM
The Sabres signing of Girgensons so early intrigues me. He had been destined for the NCAA. Now he's going to burn a year on his entry-level deal every year he spends in Rochester... unless the Sabres were so impressed that they're confident he'll be ready after just a year in Rochester or perhaps even this year.

EDIT: Or perhaps Regier expects something to change in entry-level deals in this year's CBA that made him want to act fast?

alias
07-18-2012, 05:35 PM
The Sabres signing of Girgensons so early intrigues me. He had been destined for the NCAA. Now he's going to burn a year on his entry-level deal every year he spends in Rochester... unless the Sabres were so impressed that they're confident he'll be ready after just a year in Rochester or perhaps even this year.

EDIT: Or perhaps Regier expects something to change in entry-level deals in this year's CBA that made him want to act fast?

pretty sure they only burn the 1st year if they play more than 9 NHL games. this is pretty common....teams have 2 years to sign their players or they can re-enter the draft. if you know you are going to keep them anyways it doesn't hurt....and the cap hit on the bonus would be spread out over 4 years instead of 3 for a minor cap savings. they also signed Grigorenko today.

edit: just noticed something in your post....if they sign him it doesn't mean he has to go to Rochester....he can still play NCAA. Montreal did it with Danny Kristo.

phaneuf6
07-18-2012, 08:54 PM
pretty sure they only burn the 1st year if they play more than 9 NHL games. this is pretty common....teams have 2 years to sign their players or they can re-enter the draft. if you know you are going to keep them anyways it doesn't hurt....and the cap hit on the bonus would be spread out over 4 years instead of 3 for a minor cap savings. they also signed Grigorenko today.

edit: just noticed something in your post....if they sign him it doesn't mean he has to go to Rochester....he can still play NCAA. Montreal did it with Danny Kristo.

9 games part is right. The fact that he signed a contract means he can't play in the NCAA though.

Hamsterkill
07-18-2012, 10:11 PM
9 games part is right. The fact that he signed a contract means he can't play in the NCAA though.

You guys are saying contract years don't get burned when players play for AHL affiliates? ... That doesn't sound right to me.

And yes, any pro contract voids NCAA eligibility. I don't think Kristo has signed a contract.

Also the only having two years to sign a draft pick only applies to major junior players. Justin Shultz went UFA because Anaheim couldn't sign him within 30 days of him leaving his NCAA school.

alias
07-18-2012, 10:50 PM
You guys are saying contract years don't get burned when players play for AHL affiliates? ... That doesn't sound right to me.

And yes, any pro contract voids NCAA eligibility. I don't think Kristo has signed a contract.

Also the only having two years to sign a draft pick only applies to major junior players. Justin Shultz went UFA because Anaheim couldn't sign him within 30 days of him leaving his NCAA school.

No, I believe the AHL counts as a year on the contraact as it is a professional league, so it would burn a year of they sent him down. But, I didn't realize the rules were different for CHL & NCAA. IF a bunch more guys go the Schultz route we may see teams avoiding NCAA players they way they avoid Russians.

Hamsterkill
07-18-2012, 11:43 PM
No, I believe the AHL counts as a year on the contraact as it is a professional league, so it would burn a year of they sent him down. But, I didn't realize the rules were different for CHL & NCAA. IF a bunch more guys go the Schultz route we may see teams avoiding NCAA players they way they avoid Russians.

It doesn't happen often. Mostly because high quality prospects prefer to start their pro careers before they'd be eligible for UFA status when leaving their school (I don't know the exact requirements -- probably playing out 4 years of NCAA eligibility or something). This is why most Hobey Baker winners are mostly lower-ranked prospects or undrafted guys. Schultz, and before him -- Blake Wheeler, probably took a lot less money overall in order to be able to dictate where they'd play. Jack Johnson probably intended to go this route as well, forcing Carolina to trade him.

So no, NHL teams won't start to avoid NCAA players now (especially since so many of them get convinced to sign into the OHL instead after being drafted, anyway). There's not much difference between a major junior player's ability to refuse a contract and an NCAA player's ability to do the same apart from a clear deadline in the major junior player's case.

phaneuf6
07-19-2012, 09:10 AM
Entry level deals are essentially 4-5 year deals Hamster. Because he technically does not NEED to be in the AHL (still junior eligible) it doesn't burn a year. It essentially pushes his contract out 'x' years. He's still paid though.

Brandon Pirri is a good example in Chicago's system. He's a 91, but he's been in the AHL for 2 years already. However, he still has 2 years left on his entry level deal because technically his first year in the AHL could have been spent in the CHL.

Hamsterkill
07-19-2012, 10:15 AM
Entry level deals are essentially 4-5 year deals Hamster. Because he technically does not NEED to be in the AHL (still junior eligible) it doesn't burn a year. It essentially pushes his contract out 'x' years. He's still paid though.

Brandon Pirri is a good example in Chicago's system. He's a 91, but he's been in the AHL for 2 years already. However, he still has 2 years left on his entry level deal because technically his first year in the AHL could have been spent in the CHL.

I didn't believe you so I looked it up in the current CBA. You were right. It seems Girgensons can spend up to two years in the AHL without burning a contract year.

I also looked up the section that would apply to Justin Schultz since I was already there. The reason Anaheim lost his rights was apparently because he left school in May before his graduation (he would have had a year left) and then the fourth June 1st since his draft selection passed shortly thereafter. I can't figure out why he didn't get freed until late June, though. My guess would be Anaheim made him an offer after he left school that he was required to consider for 30 days...

Hamsterkill
02-24-2013, 02:45 AM
Good lord this team is depressing this year. Articles in the hockey section of the Buffalo News are starting to read like suicide notes.

b_illin
02-25-2013, 01:52 PM
http://vintageleafmemories.blogspot.ca/2013/02/leafs-lose-in-ottawa-but-bigger-story.html

Interesting idea to say the least! (Burke as a potential replacement for Regier)

chgorman
02-25-2013, 01:59 PM
I didn't read the article, but I don't see Burkie being the solution for BUF. He seems to be a GM that can take an already good team built by somebody else and add a couple pieces to make them elite. He doesn't seem like the type of GM that can build a successful team from the ground up. Not that BUF is starting from scratch, they already have some solid pieces in place, but I think they need more help than Burkie can offer. BUF needs a Brian Murray type, who is more of a builder, as opposed to Burkie who is more of a 'finisher' it seems. They're not at a point yet where Burkie can help them get better. That's my opinion anyway.

Hamsterkill
02-25-2013, 02:38 PM
http://vintageleafmemories.blogspot.ca/2013/02/leafs-lose-in-ottawa-but-bigger-story.html

Interesting idea to say the least! (Burke as a potential replacement for Regier)

It's an idea that I already put forth in the Leafs thread. As I said elsewhere, I'm surprised that Darcy wasn't the first one to lose his job in Buffalo, so I don't think he keeps it very long. I'd have much preferred to keep Ruff rather than Regier.

I actually think Burke could do well in Buffalo, chgorman.... or at least.could have. Ruff and Burke I think would have been a good pair together as far as player philosophy. Regier never seemed able to figure out the type of team to build for Ruff. Not sure how Rolston or another new coach will try to have this team play. Burke may be comfortable with Rolston, though, with Rolston having worked in the USNTDP for so many years.

b_illin
02-25-2013, 03:32 PM
I didn't read the article, but I don't see Burkie being the solution for BUF. He seems to be a GM that can take an already good team built by somebody else and add a couple pieces to make them elite. He doesn't seem like the type of GM that can build a successful team from the ground up. Not that BUF is starting from scratch, they already have some solid pieces in place, but I think they need more help than Burkie can offer. BUF needs a Brian Murray type, who is more of a builder, as opposed to Burkie who is more of a 'finisher' it seems. They're not at a point yet where Burkie can help them get better. That's my opinion anyway.

I think that's unfair. Burke built up a decent squad in VAN and I think we are just beginning to see the fruits of his labours with the Leafs. Your comment is accurate in ANH but I think far too much gets made of that tbh.

chgorman
02-25-2013, 04:43 PM
I dunno, I'd have to see what VAN's team looked like before Burkie compared to after Burkie, but if I remember correctly, he took over a fairly decent team, traded away Pavel Bure and Mogilny for Jovocop and Brendan Morrison (basically, in two seperate deals), which isn't great IMO. Yes, he drafted both Sedins (great move despite how long it took them to develop) and Kesler (another late bloomer), however overall, I'm not sure he left the team in significantly better shape than when he took over, but maybe I'm forgeting some of his other moves there.

As for the Leafs, well, I'm guessing most leaf fans would prefer Tyler Seguin, Dougie Hamilton, and whomever that 2nd round pick ended up being, over Phil Kessel (voted the best trade in Boston sports history by NESN voters), he picked Schenn too early in the draft, among a few other questionable transactions/draft picks that still need more time to see if they were good deals/picks or not.

Don't get me wrong, I know I'm only pointing out the lousy deals for the most part, and I think the JVR deal was a steal for him and the Leafs, as well as a few other solid moves he made for the Leafs, but I don't think he'll ever live down the Kessel deal, still hadn't found a top notch goalie for the Leafs when he was let go (neither Reimer or Scrivens are the long term answer), put far too much emphasis on truculence and not enough on skill, etc.

Point being, for every good to great deal/signing he made, he made at least one or two equally questionable transactions, and that's not a good way to build a team. You can get away with those deals if you're adding a key piece for a Cup run, like he did in ANA (and even then, that Pronger deal was basically handed to him on a silver platter), but deals like the Kessel trade are the type that set organizations back for years. TOR was nowhere near a contender when he made that trade, and Kessel is good but not the type of talent that will lead a team to a Cup on his own. Gave FAR too much money to Komisarek among a few others (was he involved in the Finger deal? I kinda forget). Yes, the Leafs are definitely improving, but when your organization has picked early in the draft every year for the past, what, 6-8 years, you're bound to collect some good talent by default, even if you trade away two first round picks and miss on a few others.

I'll leave it at that, don't want to clutter the Sabres thread with Leaf talk.

two24four
02-25-2013, 05:00 PM
For the record, Burke was not the one who drafted L. Schenn, that was Cliff Fletcher between JFJ and Burke.

chgorman
02-25-2013, 05:07 PM
Really? I thought for sure Burke made that pick, especially considering he's a Burkie type of player. Sorry, my bad, shoulda looked into that before spouting off.

two24four
02-25-2013, 05:14 PM
Burke was hired by the Leafs November 29th 2008. Schenn was drafted just before that in June 2008.

b_illin
02-25-2013, 06:38 PM
Yeah, fletcher drafted schenn.

You said for every good deal he's made, there are a couple lousy deals but I see it more like a few lousy deals (and I've loudly hated the kessel deal since it happened) have skewed ppl's opinion and taken away from the amazing trades he has made...and there are a couple good ones for every lousy one.

two24four
02-25-2013, 06:48 PM
Yeah look at the Phaneuf deal. He got Dion and Aulie (who he later traded) for 4 players most people said who?

He also got Franson and Lombardi for Brett Lebda and Robert Slanley + a conditional 4th round pick.

Let's not forget the trade with the Ducks. Beauchemin for both Lupul and Gardiner. Leafs also picked up a conditional 4th round pick.

Then the JVR trade, which was awesome.

He signed Bozak and Frattin right out of college.

Also the FA players he brought in this year, McClement, Fraser, Kostka, Komarov have all played great.

chgorman
02-25-2013, 09:57 PM
Very true, those were all solid deals, and I am surprised at how well some of those FA signings have played. I guess my view of him might be overly harsh, but I just don't see him as much of a builder, especially after that Kessel trade. I still don't think he'd be the guy to turn Buffalo into a contender, but I do agree with Hamster that Regier should have been fired before Ruff, and that it would have been interesting to see what happens with Burke and Ruff working together.

phaneuf6
02-26-2013, 08:55 AM
I disagree with the Regier before Ruff part. At a certain point, a coach gets stale and his message no longer gets through. Players will start to tune him out and he loses any effectiveness he may have had.

Hamsterkill
02-26-2013, 09:08 AM
I disagree with the Regier before Ruff part. At a certain point, a coach gets stale and his message no longer gets through. Players will start to tune him out and he loses any effectiveness he may have had.

From most accounts of people involved in the Sabres this year -- management, players, announcers, even the anti-Ruff/Regier journalists -- that never happened, though. Ruff never seemed to lose his team, the players were simply never able to carry out his message. The problem seems to me to be the team that Regier assembled -- not how Ruff was directing it.

The anti-Ruff crowd in Buffalo's arguments against him have always been that his coaching style was simply outmoded and that the time had come to try something different. I'm not sure that's the answer, either, but there wasn't a whole lot to lose at this point.

Regier, however, has made mistake after mistake. FA signings and trades rarely seem to help the Sabres very much -- at least since Drury and Briere left. Drafting is the only thing he seems to do really well at, for the most part.

two24four
02-26-2013, 10:09 AM
One correction I have to make from my post above. Fraser was not a FA signing. Burke traded Dale Mitchell to the Ducks for Fraser at last seasons trade deadline. I forgot about that.

Hamsterkill
03-15-2013, 02:33 PM
Grigorenko was sent back to Juniors today -- presumably to make room for Leino. I'm a little surprised he was the cut and not Flynn...

two24four
03-15-2013, 02:42 PM
Grigorenko was sent back to Juniors today -- presumably to make room for Leino. I'm a little surprised he was the cut and not Flynn...

This is huge for Grigorenko's Jr team in Quebec. They are 6th overall in the QMJHL with the playoffs coming up. Patrick Roy will be happy.

Grigorenko already had 50 points this season for Quebec in 32 games before the lockout ended.

chgorman
03-16-2013, 09:41 AM
Seems kinda silly to me, actually. At least from the Sabres standpoint.

Doesn't this burn a full year on his contract now? If so, then by sending him down, they not only don't get a full season out of him for that, but they only get half of a shortened season, or roughly a quarter of a full season. Seems like a huge waste of a contract year to me.

Are they able to call him up again later in the year?

two24four
03-16-2013, 10:58 AM
He can only be called up once his Jr team season is over.

Hamsterkill
03-16-2013, 01:16 PM

Doesn't this burn a full year on his contract now? If so, then by sending him down, they not only don't get a full season out of him for that, but they only get half of a shortened season, or roughly a quarter of a full season. Seems like a huge waste of a contract year to me.

Right. Which is why I was surprised they sent him down instead of Flynn. Grigorenko was borderline on whether he would be kept past 5 games but I didn't think he'd be sent down once they decided to keep him.

phaneuf6
03-16-2013, 02:38 PM
Poorly handled IMO. Hopefully this doesn't hurt his long-term potential.

two24four
03-16-2013, 04:34 PM
I don't know how true this is. But some pople seem to think Patrick Roy was pushing pretty hard to get him back in Jr for the rest of the season. Again I don't know for sure if that is the case so take it for what it's worth.

Hamsterkill
03-17-2013, 02:15 PM
Kaleta scratched first game off his suspension. Don't mind this move (Kaleta's awful), but it's becoming clear Rolston's a coach that doesn't care about rocking the boat. Or else he's really enamored with his Rochester kids.

alias
03-17-2013, 04:16 PM

The Sabres weren't going anywhere with him in the lineup so why keep him up to play 4th line duties & potentially ruin him even more? I like this move better then the Isles keeping Nino up all year last year. At least they realized they made a mistake and decided to do what was best for the player and not for the team.

toronto1979
03-21-2013, 01:24 PM
http://youtu.be/I40HfH1UiXo

Hamsterkill
04-02-2013, 12:18 AM
Hm. I woulda thought we could have gotten a bit more for Regehr than two second rounders -- neither of which is even for this year... Still, not a bad sell.

I'm more worried about a theoretical Pominville trade being left in Regier's hands...

Hamsterkill
04-27-2013, 03:08 PM
In interviews, Miller really sounds like he doesn't expect to be back next year, though he really seem to *want* to leave either. Looks like it's going to depend on whether Darcy gets fired and what his replacement's plan might be for the team.

Hamsterkill
04-28-2013, 06:00 PM
So... Sacco's fired, Nieuwendyk's fired... when is Darcy's name gonna join them?

Hamsterkill
04-29-2013, 01:26 PM
Darcy’s back.
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/29/sabres-prez-regier-will-be-back-as-gm/

Are you fucking kidding me?! What the hell has to happen to get rid of this guy?? Makes no sense to get rid of Lindy and keep the guy that gave him nothing but mediocre or worse teams to work with.

Regier is a pretty decent drafter and a good trader. What he seems to suck at is the most important part -- which is actually building a team.

... Pretty sure Vanek will be gone this summer then. Miller too, if Darcy can find a trading partner looking for a goalie of Miller's ability (Flordia was my first thought).

Hamsterkill
07-03-2013, 02:27 PM
I like the hiring of Sacco as assistant coach. I think he'll fit well with Rolston.

I don't like the waiving/buyout of Gerbe. Gerbe was one of the more consistent players for the Sabres last year, I thought, and would generate chances with frequency (even if he couldn't finish them). He only had a year left on his contract and he wasn't getting paid that much. I get that we're rebuilding, but Gerbe was only 25 and would have been restricted after next season I think. Very curious move, Darcy...

Hamsterkill
11-19-2013, 11:54 AM
Grigorenko and Zadorov being sent back to junior teams. Larsson and Ristolainen being sent to Rochester.

I really wonder why Ruff initially wanted to keep Grigorenko around last season. It doesn't seem like him to try to force a new draftee to play in a situation he's not really ready for. Though I guess he's using Nichushkin this season in Dallas to decent effect, so maybe he was hoping Grigorenko was equally ready last year...

Sabres have Mike Weber returning from injury, so they'll be doing 3 call-ups. Most likely Luke Adam and Brayden McNabb are the first two. I'd been wondering why the Sabres wanted to keep both their draftees over McNabb for the opening night roster in the first place.

Please, please, please don't let Kaleta be the third call-up (many in Buffalo seem to want him back, I truly can't imagine a reason why other than that he's a "native son"). I'm hoping maybe they try out Armia instead?

EDIT: Apparently Kaleta has been MIA in Rochester since last night... Shit...

toronto1979
11-19-2013, 04:30 PM
Ted Nolan coached a teach with Brad May, Roby Ray & Matthew Barnaby.

Kaleta would be his first call up.

Hamsterkill
11-19-2013, 04:52 PM
Ted Nolan coached a teach with Brad May, Roby Ray & Matthew Barnaby.

Kaleta would be his first call up.

Actually Rochester's newspaper is reporting that Kaleta's absence from things was due to a lower-body injury. So he may not actually be among the callups. We'll see. The callups should come either tonight or tomorrow, I'd think. Buffalo's already going to have to play the Blues tonight with a smaller roster.

toronto1979
11-19-2013, 05:05 PM
Well if you Google Patrick Kaleta this is one of the top hits.

http://nesn.com/2013/11/new-sabres-coach-ted-nolan-says-john-scott-will-play-open-to-idea-of-bringing-back-patrick-kaleta/

Hamsterkill
11-20-2013, 03:54 PM
Grigorenko's conditioning loan to Rochester was denied by the NHL. Sabres now have to keep him or send him back to the Remparts, who'd be forced to make a trade.

Hamsterkill
01-09-2014, 01:54 PM
So now that the Sabres have a GM again -- and one with a reputation for being a good judge of young talent -- I wonder if the trades for even more picks and youth start coming pretty quickly.

two24four
01-09-2014, 01:58 PM
So now that the Sabres have a GM again -- and one with a reputation for being a good judge of young talent -- I wonder if the trades for even more picks and youth start coming pretty quickly.

If he's going for picks he'd be best to try and load up with picks for the 2015 draft, this draft is not that deep.

Hamsterkill
01-09-2014, 02:01 PM
If he's going for picks he'd be best to try and load up with picks for the 2015 draft, this draft is not that deep.

I agree completely. I've been joking all season with people around here in the DC area that the Sabres decided to tank a year too early.

two24four
01-09-2014, 02:26 PM
I agree completely. I've been joking all season with people around here in the DC area that the Sabres decided to tank a year too early.

Haha for sure. 2015 is the McDavid draft, might be a few teams going into "rebuilds" next season.

Hamsterkill
01-09-2014, 02:40 PM
Haha for sure. 2015 is the McDavid draft, might be a few teams going into "rebuilds" next season.

It's Eichel's draft year, too, who will make one heck of consolation prize behind McDavid.

two24four
01-09-2014, 02:56 PM
It's Eichel's draft year, too, who will make one heck of consolation prize behind McDavid.

Yes for sure. It's a deeper draft everywhere as well.

Hamsterkill
01-11-2014, 06:30 PM
Sabres sent Grigorenko to Juniors the other day. Unfortunately, his agent has said he won't report to the Remparts. Not really sure what the agent and player expect to happen here... Grigorenko was being healthy scratched most nights with the Sabres.

two24four
01-13-2014, 09:01 AM
He's going to report now. Wise move by him. Guessing someone got in his ear.

Hamsterkill
01-13-2014, 10:16 AM
He's going to report now. Wise move by him. Guessing someone got in his ear.

That's good. No idea what he thought would happen. Poor kid's had a rough go of it with the Sabres his first two years in the NHL. I worry this will sour him to staying with the Sabres when he actually has a chance to leave.

Doctego
01-14-2014, 10:24 AM
http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/66322718/

Hamsterkill
06-18-2014, 11:50 PM
I imagine I'll probably end up regretting this if it happens, but I kind of want Buffalo to trade for Ryan O'Reilly.

Hamsterkill
11-19-2014, 01:27 PM
I'm kind of wondering if the Sabres would hire Bylsma if he's still without a job after the season. I still don't think Nolan is the answer, and I bet Murray wants to have the chance to choose his own coach at some point. Bylsma did well with the younger Pens team and showed he could work with a budding superstar like the Sabres will almost certainly have in either McDavid or Eichel next year. I think it'd be intriguing. My biggest concern in such a situation is that the Sabres probably still won't have at least an average goalie and Bylsma's system does rely on a capable one.

Kyle
11-22-2014, 02:21 PM
and Bylsma's system does rely on a capable one.

FINE, I'll bite. Then how did he win with Fleury? :D

I don't think he's ever been anything above totally mediocre, even in the back to back cup finals (He was especially shitty during the 2nd run). He's only ever been .920 sv% once, just barely reaching .921% on a 35 game season. A guy who isn't considered a legit star at all, Jimmy Howard, has passed .923 3 times in a career half as long as Fleury's, and Howard has maintained it through 63, 57, and 42 game seasons. And that's only good enough to be considered top 10 by some, and maybe a debatable top 5 to Wings fans. So Fleury get's to sit somewhere at 15th-20th. He is having a brilliant season so far but just allowed two miserable clean goals in 30 seconds vs the Islanders last night so let's see how he recovers.

But you could still be right about Bylsma's system. Obviously those back to back cup finals teams were incredibly stacked, maybe stacked enough to compensate for the goalie play Bylsma wasn't getting, and clearly more stacked than any conceivable roster Buffalo could produce for the next 5 years.

Hamsterkill
11-22-2014, 02:38 PM
FINE, I'll bite. Then how did he win with Fleury? :D

I don't think he's ever been anything above totally mediocre, even in the back to back cup finals (He was especially shitty during the 2nd run). He's only ever been .920 sv% once, just barely reaching .921% on a 35 game season. A guy who isn't considered a legit star at all, Jimmy Howard, has passed .923 3 times in a career half as long as Fleury's, and Howard has maintained it through 63, 57, and 42 game seasons. And that's only good enough to be considered top 10 by some, and maybe a debatable top 5 to Wings fans. So Fleury get's to sit somewhere at 15th-20th. He is having a brilliant season so far but just allowed two miserable clean goals in 30 seconds vs the Islanders last night so let's see how he recovers.

But you could still be right about Bylsma's system. Obviously those back to back cup finals teams were incredibly stacked, maybe stacked enough to compensate for the goalie play Bylsma wasn't getting, and clearly more stacked than any conceivable roster Buffalo could produce for the next 5 years.

You're right. I see Fleury as being slightly 'above average' which is barely a better opinion of his skill than yours. I said 'capable', not good. ;) And Fleury is probably the minimum level of goalie that Bylsma's system could support.

Buffalo doesn't even have that right now, though. I'd take Fleury over Enroth and Neuvirth any day. They have a deep goalie pool in their system with kids like Hackett, Makarov, Ullmark and Lieuwen, but none of them can safely be projected to be better than even Enroth.

Kyle
11-22-2014, 02:54 PM
Fair enough. I'm just addicted to not liking Fleury. Something about his top row of teeth always being annoyingly visible just got us off on the wrong foot. :lol:

Hamsterkill
12-30-2014, 11:55 PM
https://vine.co/v/OwOaupAlrb3

Oh Kaleta, how I never missed you...

Kyle
12-31-2014, 04:57 AM
https://vine.co/v/OwOaupAlrb3

Oh Kaleta, how I never missed you...

He's lucky players can't be suspended for blindside hits to themselves :D

Hamsterkill
12-31-2014, 01:25 PM
He's lucky players can't be suspended for blindside hits to themselves :D
I can only assume he was confused by the novel situation of actually being in a fight.

Kyle
01-10-2015, 05:51 AM
Man, Buffalo was always a shitty team, but the sheer levels of ineptitude they've sunk to in recent weeks entering christmas and beyond has been nothing short of mind-blowing. They're doing such awful things statistically that they deserve serious consideration for the worst team in NHL history.

Last ranked offense at 1.7 goals per game, last ranked defense at 3.4 allowed, last ranked shots for at 23, last ranked shots allowed at 35, maybe history's worst shot differential at -12, already a -66 goal differential (50% worse than the 2nd worst squad), last ranked powerplay at 9.2% (Single digits are possible?) and the 3rd to last ranked penalty kill (Shame on Philly and Arizona for ruining the sweep).

Stretched across two years, certainly the 2013-2015 Sabres are a strong bet for worst squad in history.

I thought the most interesting find from my mid-season stat perusing was how painfully mediocre Anaheim was for a #1 squad, but Buffalo has impressed me far more.

Hamsterkill
01-10-2015, 03:57 PM
Yes, I know buffalo is ridiculously horrible these last two years. But they're really not that close to worst all time. Edmonton's had worse stretches and then of there's...

... The expansion Washington Capitals:

1974–75 record
8–67–5

Home record
7–28–5

Road record
1–39–0

Goals for

Goals against

Kyle
01-10-2015, 04:35 PM
Double

Kyle
01-10-2015, 04:36 PM
:lol: Man that's nutts. I checked as far back as the late 90's and couldn't find something nearly as bad. :D Still, it's totally different when you've had every equal opportunity to succeed for nearly 15-20 years now. It's a lot harder to be that bad today than it was in the 70's as an expansion team.

Kyle
01-15-2015, 10:53 PM
Wow. Come on Buffalo :lol:

Hamsterkill
01-15-2015, 11:11 PM
Wow. Come on Buffalo :lol:

No better way for a team to end a slide than to have a matchup with Buffalo this year.

Hamsterkill
01-30-2015, 12:11 AM
The thing that strikes me most about this ridiculous losing streak is that the Sabres have actually scored first a number of these games -- which is supposed to correlate with winning... But it's still the Sabres, so they lose anyway.

Kyle
01-30-2015, 08:00 AM
The thing that strikes me most about this ridiculous losing streak is that the Sabres have actually scored first a number of these games -- which is supposed to correlate with winning... But it's still the Sabres, so they lose anyway.

For their next trick, let's see them reach 60 games still without 100 goals (Every other team in the NHL did it before 50, most by 40).

Getting outshot by 14 by Edmonton is the nail in the coffin.

I'm not sure why people are "celebrating" McDavid avoiding the Oilers. At least he'd post offensive stats on that pathetic team. He might rot away as a 50 point player as a Sabre, and he'll rot quietly, like the once-compared-to-Lidstrom Tyler Myers. At least he'd be a star in Edmonton. I'm not sure Buffalo is allowed to feature offensive stars right now.

Hamsterkill
01-30-2015, 10:51 AM
As terrible as Buffalo is right now, it won't take long to turn them around, either. They have some promising prospects and will start to spend money on FAs again as soon as next season, I think. Buffalo's future lineup actually looks promising to me, still, considering it doesn't even take account of FAs or 'lesser' prospects.

Ennis - McDavid/Eichel - Moulson
Grigorenko - Reinhart - Armia
Hodgson - Girgensons - Compher
Lemieux - Flynn - Foligno (please, God, let them finally ditch Kaleta after his contract runs out)

Myers - Gorges
Zadorov - Ristolainen
McCabe - Ruhwedel

Goalie will still be a weak point, most likely, but I think, overall, they at least have good potential for a pretty quick turnaround.

two24four
01-30-2015, 11:05 AM
If it's McDavid who they get, he alone will turn any bad team around pretty quick. Think Mario or Crosby.

McDavid will put up big numbers no matter what, you can count on that.

Kyle
01-30-2015, 11:08 AM
I did the fucking Edmenton thing again :lol:

Is Neuvirth not a goalie of the future, Ham? I've always heard he is despite the team's uselessness this year (Which obviously negatively effects his stats). Playing for one of the most disorganized, pathetic system in Washington through all their worst defensive years didn't help one bit more. The fact that he's maintained a career .91 sv% shows me there's something there to salvage if they wanted to.

Think Mario or Crosby.

Bold. Hope he lives up to it.

two24four
01-30-2015, 11:15 AM
You have not seen him play much have you? Some scouts think he will be better than Crosby.

Kyle
01-30-2015, 11:20 AM
You have not seen him play much have you? Some scouts think he will be better than Crosby.

Not nearly enough, only in the world juniors, where he was pretty damn remarkable no doubt. I should check out some highlight reels and game footage sometime

Hamsterkill
01-30-2015, 12:11 PM
I went to see McDavid play in a game back home last year (the reason he's in my sig is that he plays for the Otters, not because Buffalo stands a chance to draft him -- I had looch make that image during the last lockout). The kid took your breath away in good ways every time he touched the puck without even looking like he was trying hard. My only concern with him is that last I checked, he wasn't put in defensive situations very often. Makes me wonder if McDavid will be more Gretzky-like, while Eichel ends up as the Mario.

Hamsterkill
01-30-2015, 12:21 PM
Is Neuvirth not a goalie of the future, Ham? I've always heard he is despite the team's uselessness this year (Which obviously negatively effects his stats). Playing for one of the most disorganized, pathetic system in Washington through all their worst defensive years didn't help one bit more. The fact that he's maintained a career .91 sv% shows me there's something there to salvage if they wanted to.

Unlikely in my opinion. While you're right that he hasn't played for a team that's given him much defensive support and if he was on a defensively-capable team, his stats would likely look a lot better, he's just not the kind of goalie that can steal games from everything I've seen of him. That ultimately makes him about NHL-average in my eyes. Brian Elliott or Mike Smith 2.0.

two24four
01-30-2015, 01:26 PM
My all time fav player growing up was Mario. I have to say the more I watch McDavid play the more I think of Mario, minus the size Mario had. I've seen McDavid so many times take the puck from behind his own net at full speed then go coast to coast while going around all 5 skaters from the other team while making it look like the puck is on a string. In fact he did this just last night here in town vs the Petes. The stuff this kid does on the ice makes you sit back and say "how'd he do that" about 5-10 times a game.

McKenzie is on record saying McDavid would have gone 1st overall in 2013 at 16 years old if he was eligible.

McDavid is two points away from 70 this season, he's played 26 games this season.

Hamsterkill
02-02-2015, 01:46 PM
I will say this. No matter who the Sabres draft, I think it will be a mistake to allow Nolan to remain coach after this season. The way he's handled the Sabres' prospects this season has been pretty haphazard as they get called up and sent down to Rochester. Every time the prospects move from the Amerks to the Sabres they're asked to change the role they fill, and then have to change again when they get sent back. It makes for what I have to imagine is a pretty confusing season for guys like Grigorenko (haven't the Sabres tried to break him enough?), Armia, Zadorov, Larsson, Varone, and Schaller. Not only is it potentially disruptive to the prospects' development, but it seems harmful to the team as well to lack any kind of roster stability. If the Sabres intend to return to success quickly, I think Nolan will have to go.

Hamsterkill
02-03-2015, 11:03 PM
How is it that the only team the Sabres can consistently beat this year is the one that sits in 2nd place in the East?

Doctego
04-09-2015, 08:14 PM
http://www.trendingbuffalo.com/sports/sabres-can-still-get-mcdavid-and-eichel-without-a-trade/#.VSUruPwMvmI.twitter

Hamsterkill
04-09-2015, 11:27 PM
http://www.trendingbuffalo.com/sports/sabres-can-still-get-mcdavid-and-eichel-without-a-trade/#.VSUruPwMvmI.twitter

:lol: well I wasn't exactly holding my breath. Isles clinched tonight.

Hamsterkill
07-03-2015, 02:45 PM
Wow. O'Reilly signs for 7 years, 7.5m per year. I think I'll be surprised if they don't hand the captaincy to him either this season or next.

Kyle
07-03-2015, 05:21 PM
Now that's an overpayment, no other way to bullshit around that. Dude isn't worth 7.5 on his best day. I know he's strong on both ends of the ice but GTFO with 7.5m for 7 years. The Sabres just crowned the guy like he's already had a few amazing seasons - he hasn't had 1 yet. Right now odds are he stays a 50-55 pt player who chips in on the penalty kill and skates hard in both directions - solid 5 mill guy, maybe 6 on his luckiest day. But 7.5? Good lord. I know Reilly may very well be a Toews-type some day. But he isn't now.

Usually when you take a leap on a guy like this, you set yourself up with a term that looks bad today but likely good in a few years. There will NEVER be a time O'Reilly looks like a steal at 7.5 or anything close. Just not favorable in any way at all for Buffalo - the best case scenario is he simply lives up to the contract. The worst case, and more likely case, is he won't. And if he doesn't, Buffalo is in for the long haul there because they won't find anyone else willing to sniff that contract.

Dubz
07-03-2015, 06:27 PM
Not to mention in 2-3 years they will have some other guys to sign to larger contracts.

Doctego
07-03-2015, 06:56 PM
I'm not saying that it was a good deal for them but, if any team needed to overpay for a "juice signing", it was Buffalo.

Hamsterkill
07-03-2015, 08:18 PM
Now that's an overpayment, no other way to bullshit around that. Dude isn't worth 7.5 on his best day. I know he's strong on both ends of the ice but GTFO with 7.5m for 7 years. The Sabres just crowned the guy like he's already had a few amazing seasons - he hasn't had 1 yet. Right now odds are he stays a 50-55 pt player who chips in on the penalty kill and skates hard in both directions - solid 5 mill guy, maybe 6 on his luckiest day. But 7.5? Good lord. I know Reilly may very well be a Toews-type some day. But he isn't now.

Usually when you take a leap on a guy like this, you set yourself up with a term that looks bad today but likely good in a few years. There will NEVER be a time O'Reilly looks like a steal at 7.5 or anything close. Just not favorable in any way at all for Buffalo - the best case scenario is he simply lives up to the contract. The worst case, and more likely case, is he won't. And if he doesn't, Buffalo is in for the long haul there because they won't find anyone else willing to sniff that contract.

He could get close. I could see them signing him to a 7+m/yr contract. Murray said he already understood that he'll likely have to make ROR the highest paid Sabre in order to re-sign him.

7.5 is actually where I was expecting it to land. O'Reilly was already getting paid 6 by the Avs and was looking for a raise. A 7.5 cap hit puts him in the same ballpark as Datsyuk, Krejci, Spezza, Bobby Ryan, and Parise. When accounting for the leadership he brings to a team that is badly in need of some, I feel it's only a slight overpayment. Bergeron's contract (~6.9m cap hit) is the place I would have liked for him to sign at.

O'Reilly's already had a season with 64 points by the way.

On a side note, how is Krejci paid more than Bergeron?

Dubz
07-03-2015, 08:32 PM
I think the Avs did the right thing

Kyle
07-03-2015, 08:48 PM
It was a consensus agreement around the entire hockey world that 6 million was too much and that Calgary forced their hand (Even though the Avs should have just let Calgary suffer the consequences of their moronic offer sheet - it would've ruined them). It was never a proper number for him, and I promise there isn't one Avs fan on the planet who felt he deserved a raise and are unhappy to see the Avs didn't give it. When the entire fanbase is saying "Thank God we didn't give him that contract" it's pretty damning. He had a fairly mediocre season - he already made 6 mill seem like too much.

It's a crazy bad deal. The Avs won huge, they were going to lose him next offseason because there's NO way they were going to sign a deal like this. Instead they got a massive haul in return and avoided a crippling contract to a guy who doesn't deserve it.

Kane/Eichel/O'Reily/Ennis? Meh, good luck with that core. They'll eat up around 40% of the cap once Eichel is extended in a few years (assuming he's the PPG player we expect)

Hamsterkill
07-03-2015, 09:08 PM
Actually most Avs fans I've noticed wanted him re-signed at ~6.5m.

And don't forget Reinhart. :cool:

Kyle
07-03-2015, 09:13 PM
Gotta disagree there. I'll happily go link for link and show you forum after forum, comment section after comment section, absolutely flooded with positive responses from Avs fans. No one is sad to see O'Reilly go and certainly not at that salary. And much more strongly I'd say they did not feel he deserved a raise after majorly regressing (28 goals to 17 goals, .79 PPG to .67 PPG) following a season where his salary was already inflated by an offer sheet.

http://fans.avalanche.nhl.com/community/topic/9041-oreilly-mcginn-for-zadorov-grigorenko-31st-overall-jt-compher/page-1

Avs nation is ecstatic.

More people seem sad about McGinn than O'Reily lol

I just don't see this as a good way to rebuild. They're trying to take more of a shortcut here and I don't see it working out well - they'll make the playoffs sooner now, but probably won't compete and won't have long term success with cap management like this.

Kyle
07-03-2015, 09:26 PM
It seems more like they're building towards short-term success and winning within a very limited bubble before they implode in 3-4 years when at least Eichel (And probably one or two others) will want a lot of money. Maybe it'll work - Washington had their most success when Ovy and company were still young, and the Penguins and Hawks were both at their best during the first 3-4 years of Crosby/Toews careers. I just don't see Eichel+O'Reilly carrying a squad like Malkin/Crosby, Toews/Kane, Ovy/Backstrom did. Those guys are worth mortgaging your future on - but O'Reilly? Meh.

If it were a more friendly, 3-4 year term, I'd understand it. Because they'd have the freedom to replace him with one of their many awesome prospects. But, as it is, any number of players in Buffalo's system may become better than O'Reilly, and at least a few of them will have to go because Buffalo couldn't afford the 5-7m they will want, because they're locked in at 7.5 with O'Reily. It's just not good business for them IMO.

phaneuf6
07-04-2015, 09:37 AM
I quite like the signing. Great contract structure for O'Reilly too. Brilliant. I played minor hockey against this guy and he's a character guy through and through... he'll likely wear the C sooner rather than later in Buffalo.

Kyle
07-04-2015, 04:44 PM
I quite like the signing. Great contract structure for O'Reilly too. Brilliant. I played minor hockey against this guy and he's a character guy through and through... he'll likely wear the C sooner rather than later in Buffalo.

You always say this man. :lol: I don't think there's a cap hit too high for you when you consider a guy a good player.

PS I actually heard he was a huge prick to fans in Colorado. Maybe he's changed. A lot of Avs fans referred to him as an off-ice distraction. Hardly seems to be getting the Bergeron or Toews-like praise for his character from Avs fans that a lot of people elsewhere are trying to imply he deserves. I tend to trust the front line perspective, but I will admit that these types of quotes are commonly heard when some players leave cities.

Kyle
07-04-2015, 05:27 PM
Does a buyout work different when your base is only 1m and the rest comes in bonuses? You can't buy out bonus salary, can you? Wouldn't the Sabres only be saving a percentage of 1m if they did consider that option at any point in the term?

Hamsterkill
07-04-2015, 07:14 PM
Does a buyout work different when your base is only 1m and the rest comes in bonuses? You can't buy out bonus salary, can you? Wouldn't the Sabres only be saving a percentage of 1m if they did consider that option at any point in the term?

Yeah. As I understand it, the cap hit would reflect a buyout, but O'Reilly would still collect nearly his full salary instead of only 2/3 of it.

phaneuf6
07-05-2015, 12:19 PM
Yea it's buyout proof and lockout proof because even in the event of a lockout, he still gets his bonus.

He's certainly overpaid for now but I think in two years it's a good deal. The cap is going to be going up and 7.5 will be a decent number for him. He would've gotten 8 on the open market next year... youngest UFA ever.

Kyle
07-05-2015, 04:48 PM
Well, I will agree you can't necessarily put a fair price on age and potential. And, at the end of the day, Buffalo is likely to get the high-end of O'Reily's spectrum as long as he's paired with Eichel. I still think thats money that might have bought a better player sometime in the next few years, but I understand Buffalo's sense of urgency to sort of apologize to fans for last year.

Kyle
07-07-2015, 04:09 PM
lol, well maybe you CAN put a fair price on age and potential, as the Blues just locked down Tarasenko (Who may be 600x better than O'Reily) for virtually the same contract (With an added year).

Thats the double side of building a core through free agency. You end up paying above max market value for guys who aren't worth it when your drafted guys almost always give you a significant discount (Unless you're Chicago!).

I don't think anyone will ever say O'Reily is worth as much as Tarasenko. The gap between them is so great that it's a wonder O'Reily got a raise at all after his awful regression this last season.

phaneuf6
07-08-2015, 08:11 AM
lol, well maybe you CAN put a fair price on age and potential, as the Blues just locked down Tarasenko (Who may be 600x better than O'Reily) for virtually the same contract (With an added year).

Thats the double side of building a core through free agency. You end up paying above max market value for guys who aren't worth it when your drafted guys almost always give you a significant discount (Unless you're Chicago!).

I don't think anyone will ever say O'Reily is worth as much as Tarasenko. The gap between them is so great that it's a wonder O'Reily got a raise at all after his awful regression this last season.

Tarasenko had no leverage. If he had bridged, he would have gotten $10 in a few years. Same thing Seguin did a few years again, straight into a long-term deal and now he's underpaid. I don't understand these agents.

Hamsterkill
07-08-2015, 09:53 AM

What regression? He finished tied for third in points on the Avs again. About the only thing that changed was his shooting percentage dropped, which is something that hit everyone on that team. More notably for him, since offense isn't where he shines, O'Reilly led the league in turnover differential by a wide margin this past season.

Kyle
07-08-2015, 10:15 AM
28 goals to 17 and 65 pts to 55 pts is an awful regression by any metric. His shooting percentage didn't just drop. It went down the gutter. Nyqust, who shot a fluke 18% two years ago, suffered a normal drop to around 13-14%. That's a drop and we see that often. What O'Reily did was fall into a hole. 9.9% is miserable, and I don't see what his teammate's poor shooting percentage has to do with O'Reily's? Shooting percentage is about as individual as a stat gets in hockey - I know a great playmaker will buffer your percentage with gimme goals, but O'Reilly didn't have that the year before either so it does not explain the drop. There is no explaining that, it's a simple regression back to the same mediocre offensive player he was prior to 2013-2014. Teammates might explain an inflated save %, but they don't explain a single digit save %.

Truth is, the 64 point year was the big fluke. Outside of that his shooting percentage has averaged in the low 9's, which is just so remarkably bad I don't know where to begin.

There are few top-6 forwards who shoot as poorly as O'Reily does, and absolutely none of them make above 7 mill. No amount of defensive mastery out of a forward is worth 7+ mill when his production per 60 minutes is so lackluster compared to others in that pay range.

Kyle
07-08-2015, 10:50 AM
I don't understand these agents.

I do agree that unless Tarasenko wanted to take a discount to improve the Blues, his agent did him a poor deal here. A 6-7m bridge deal + a 8 year extension at 10 mill would've made him about 93 mill over the next 10 years. Now he's looking at something like 75m over the next 10 (Assuming he gets a deal around 8-9m at 31 after this contract).

Hamsterkill
07-08-2015, 10:59 AM
When a single player on a team's shooting percentage drops, it's indicative of the individual. When pretty much everyone on the team's shooting percentage drops, it tends to be more indicative of factors that would affect a whole team -- like coaching system changes or key player loss... or playing far more of your games from behind where you try to shoot as much as possible.

I don't even see 9.9 as *that* miserable a shooting percentage and certainly not that huge a drop from around 13. Phil Kessel, Taylor Hall, and Marian Hossa had an 8.9. Daniel Sedin an 8.8.

But no, O'Reilly is not an elite offensive talent. No one is really saying he is right now. He is fairly elite amongst defensive forwards and all-around players. If Toews is the measuring stick for O'Reilly's type of player, the salary drop from Toews to O'Reilly doesn't seem that far off what it should be.

Kyle
07-08-2015, 11:41 AM
I actually think the opposite regarding the comparison to Toews.

Toews' 10.5 vs O'Reily's 7.5 = 40% more

Toews' career avg of of .89 PPG vs O'Reily's career avg of .57 = 40% more

At face value, that might look okay considering they both bring similar defensive skillsets. But the comparison falls off when you consider Toews' 28 goals per season compared to O'Reily's 15. That's an astounding difference that really can't be exaggerated enough in terms of how it should impact their salaries.

And if somehow the comparison survives that fact, it's killed entirely when you consider Toews signed that contract coming off his second cup win in four years and it was a consensus agreement that his salary was inflated at least 2 million over what he would have gotten with no cup wins. The fact that nearly all contracts signed since then have not used Toews' and Kane's contract as a base (I can say this conclusively because a lot of players would be making 9-10m right now if they were allowed to use Toews/Kane as a comparing point) is evidence enough that O'Reily likely didn't get paid because of that. One of the few exceptions to that is P.K.Subban, but we all know why the Habs felt the need to lock down the face of hockey in Montreal long term. Plus I believe he had just won the Norris, right?

I'd say a more reasonable baseline based on the contracts signed by Tarasenko and others in the last year is Sidney Crosby/Ovechkin/Malkin at 9-9.5m. And yet O'Reily is maybe the only other NHLer who is right in line with Toew's contract (Relative to their point production), but where's his cups, proven playoff success, all the goal scoring that Toews does, etc.?

Hamsterkill
07-08-2015, 12:23 PM
I'd say a more reasonable baseline based on the contracts signed by Tarasenko and others in the last year is Sidney Crosby/Ovechkin/Malkin at 9-9.5m. And yet O'Reily is maybe the only other NHLer who is right in line with Toew's contract (Relative to their point production), but where's his cups, proven playoff success, all the goal scoring that Toews does, etc.?
Ovechkin signed his contract 7 years ago and Crosby's contract doesn't get used as a baseline by anyone since he gives the Pens such a good deal. Malkin, perhaps. But I would expect negotiations to base salary on more similar players as baseline. For O'Reilly, that would be guys like Toews, Kopitar and Bergeron. Kopitar's contract is too old, though, and I said I would have liked to see him sign closer to Bergeron's.

Who has signed since Kane/Toews that would be making 9-10m using them as a base?

The goal difference is smaller, btw, when regulated for TOI.

Kyle
07-08-2015, 12:52 PM
Fair enough, I can agree that we haven't seen enough superstars sign since then, but I still think Tarasenko is a good example. If Toews/Kane were the true baselines, Tarasenko would already be worth 9.5m if not 10 as he could use Kane's contract much the same as O'Reily can use Toews'. Tarasenko and Kane are at about the exact same spot after year 3 minus the cup but Tarasenko has been the Blue's best playoff performer two years in a row now with 10 goals in his last 12 games.

I understand he gave St Louis a discount but definitely not a 2 mill discount. More than likely the market would have valued Tarasenko at 8, 8.5 tops, and I think that shows GMs aren't yet ready to accept Toews/Kane as the baseline yet.

Hamsterkill
07-08-2015, 01:06 PM
There's a pretty big difference between an RFA and a UFA, too. Tarasenko could have held out for more money or less term (not sure if he was eligible for player-elected arbitration), I'm sure.

EDIT: Another point to consider is that Kane's first RFA contract was roughly the same percentage of the salary cap as what Tarasenko just signed. (10.5% for Tarasenko vs 10.6% for Kane) Kane's was three years shorter, though.

Kyle
07-08-2015, 01:16 PM
Good stat about Kane vs Tarasenko early on. I guess O'Reily just benefited from a long list of fortunate circumstances surrounding this extension, from Buffalo's need to the availability of other star forwards, among other things (Like his UFA status).