PDA

View Full Version : Official Video Game Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

keyboard
11-20-2008, 01:19 AM
What do you guys think of the new Live? I updated it tonight and like what I see so far. The "party" mode makes a lot of sense. I can finally talk to a bunch of people at the same time without being in the same game. The avatar is kind of cheese but I guess the kids will dig it.

dw13
11-20-2008, 01:56 AM
I like the new Xbox, once again Kam sorry about NHL tonight. Was busy kicking a friends ass.

Edit: btw, I enjoy playing Goalie on Be a Pro. Although I occasionally let in a softy.

keyboard
11-20-2008, 10:19 AM
I like the new Xbox, once again Kam sorry about NHL tonight. Was busy kicking a friends ass.

Edit: btw, I enjoy playing Goalie on Be a Pro. Although I occasionally let in a softy.No worries. I hadn't played in a week or so, so I needed the practice. Went 3-0 online and lost my last one in OT when my controller died.

I actually hate it when people are goalies when I play online. As good as you might be, you're not as good as a computer.

moans
11-20-2008, 06:18 PM
I'm gonna get an xbox sooner than later so I'll be in for some NHL for sure.

Dubz
11-20-2008, 08:24 PM
Yeah....the avatar thing was pretty lame, what are they trying to be like WII? I like the chat ideas though (havent tried it yet)

gogoayane
11-21-2008, 12:20 AM
well it's suppose to lead up to other features later on... i.e. you'll see your avatar in some games as pedestrian or side character (how about killing urself in GTAIV)..

I like that party mode feature... i don't know why they would alot a group to talk in a room before... so this makes more sense

anyone playing COD5 btw?

dw13
11-21-2008, 02:35 AM
anyone playing COD5 btw?

I'm wondering the same thing. I am thinking about picking up a new game. It'll probably be NCAA Basketball 09 but not sure.

heliosj
11-21-2008, 06:06 AM
Does anyone stream Netflix to their Xbox 360?

keyboard
11-21-2008, 09:56 AM
well it's suppose to lead up to other features later on... i.e. you'll see your avatar in some games as pedestrian or side character (how about killing urself in GTAIV)..

I like that party mode feature... i don't know why they would alot a group to talk in a room before... so this makes more sense

anyone playing COD5 btw?I like the avatar thing if it's going to result in me not having to build a character every time I play a new game.

I got COD4 and hated that 2 people couldn't play online together on the same console. Thought that was really stupid. If COD5 allows it, I'll get it, though I prefer sports games and less-intense FPS like Halo.

I'm wondering the same thing. I am thinking about picking up a new game. It'll probably be NCAA Basketball 09 but not sure.NCAA over NBA?

Does anyone stream Netflix to their Xbox 360?I just found out you could do it. But if you network your 360 to your computer, you could stream just as easily. I think I'll buy a movie just to see what it's all about, unless someone does it first.

heliosj
11-21-2008, 10:14 AM
I just found out you could do it. But if you network your 360 to your computer, you could stream just as easily. I think I'll buy a movie just to see what it's all about, unless someone does it first.I don't run Windows, so that's not true for me.

keyboard
11-21-2008, 11:11 AM
I don't run Windows, so that's not true for me.I looked around out of curiosity and there are a couple of ways to stream to the 360 using Linux.

You could install Media Center in VMware, that seemed like a functional but unpopular move.

There's also this guide, but I didn't understand it: http://vanvalkinburgh.org/blog/612

heliosj
11-21-2008, 12:54 PM
Well, when I say I don't run Windows, I mean I don't run it virtually, either. :p

And either way, I don't have the computer hooked up to the Xbox, and the latest firmware supports streaming directly, I believe. I just was curious if anyone had tried it that way. But thanks anyway.

keyboard
11-21-2008, 01:37 PM
Well, when I say I don't run Windows, I mean I don't run it virtually, either. :p

And either way, I don't have the computer hooked up to the Xbox, and the latest firmware supports streaming directly, I believe. I just was curious if anyone had tried it that way. But thanks anyway.Oh, got it.

two24four
11-21-2008, 01:46 PM
kamranish;

NCAA over NBA?

Oh yeah, it's so much better, IMO anyways.

dw13
11-21-2008, 06:28 PM
Oh yeah, it's so much better, IMO anyways.

Agreed.

keyboard
11-28-2008, 01:28 PM
I rented NCAA 09, pretty solid. We played 2 on 2 and my buddy and I weren't very good but we still had fun. I think there is catch up logic though, because no big lead ever held.

Anyway, cool feature on the 360 is you can now burn games to the hard drive so they have much faster load times.

phaneuf6
11-28-2008, 07:24 PM
I rented NCAA 09, pretty solid. We played 2 on 2 and my buddy and I weren't very good but we still had fun. I think there is catch up logic though, because no big lead ever held.

Anyway, cool feature on the 360 is you can now burn games to the hard drive so they have much faster load times.

You still need to use the game CD though I guess.

keyboard
11-29-2008, 02:38 AM
Yeah, but still.

Kyle
11-29-2008, 12:14 PM
yeah, obviously they can't put the entire game on the harddrive and allow you to not use the disk. It just sounds illogical, of course it won't work like that. But reduced load times is still significant, thats awesome.

keyboard
11-29-2008, 12:50 PM
yeah, obviously they can't put the entire game on the harddrive and allow you to not use the disk. It just sounds illogical, of course it won't work like that. But reduced load times is still significant, thats awesome.On top of that, the criticism of the console's noisiness (one I held myself) is now no longer an issue, as it runs quietly off the hard drive.

phaneuf6
11-30-2008, 12:00 AM
yeah, obviously they can't put the entire game on the harddrive and allow you to not use the disk. It just sounds illogical, of course it won't work like that. But reduced load times is still significant, thats awesome.

Figured that but stranger things have happened.

keyboard
11-30-2008, 11:03 PM
Playing games off the hard drive is amazing. Practically no load times for NHL 09 except mandatory cut scenes they make you watch. I really hate watching Phaneuf skate up and slap the puck every time.

gNaRKiLL
12-01-2008, 12:26 AM
Anyone play on XBL here? I have an account but never use it. I'm thinking of giving it a whirl, especially with Gears of War 2.

keyboard
12-01-2008, 02:30 AM
I have XBL. So does dawinna and a couple others on here. I haven't actually played with any of them but I know they have it. My game list is:

NHL 09
Call of Duty 4
Halo 3
Pro Evolution Soccer (which sucks online because of lag)

phaneuf6
12-28-2008, 12:08 PM
Call of Duty 5 is unreal. Gears of War 2 is good too, into both these now.

gogoayane
12-28-2008, 12:23 PM
Call of Duty 5 is unreal. Gears of War 2 is good too, into both these now.

I haven't play GOW2 yet (not really a big fan of the 1st one... but will try GOW2 when i can get it cheaper) but COD:WW is pretty good... right now i'm doing the Zombie run with a few buddies... can't seem to get past lvl 15 haha

phaneuf - do I have you on XBL? I'll send you an invite for COD if I see you..

dw13
12-28-2008, 01:18 PM
Yeah COD5 is fucking SICK! I've been doing the Zombies too.. fun as shit.. I love the whole game.

keyboard
12-28-2008, 01:34 PM
How does the online gameplay improve from COD 4 to 5?

eff1ngham
12-28-2008, 02:13 PM
How does the online gameplay improve from COD 4 to 5?

The actual physics are pretty much the same (running speed, aiming, etc). There are two new modes, War (a territories game) and CTF which are both a lot of fun. They've changed a few things like now your dogs (the equivalent of a helicopter in COD4) can extend your kill streak even after you die (in COD4, if you called in a chopper, then died, when you respawn the chopper kills wouldn't count towards your streak of getting a UAV, airstrike and another chopper). There a lot more challenges now, which makes leveling up a lot more fun. There's some pretty cool new perks too, like one that resets the timer on grenades (which makes avoiding martyrdom easier for one), and second-chance (last stand) now allows you to be revived if someone else on your team has second-chance as well. But I think the best part is how even the maps are. The maps in COD4 were really unbalaced, but I like the maps a lot more in COD5 (there are only two that I automatically vote to skip). Plus there's a lot more small maps which are great on a lot of different gametypes; makes things really exciting. Plus going prestige now actually gives you a bonus of extra custom slots for more weapons

keyboard
12-28-2008, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the breakdown. I'm glad they got rid of the Chopper, that thing was annoying. So if someone revives you does the other player not get credited with a kill?

eff1ngham
12-28-2008, 02:35 PM
Nope. If you have second chance and you get revived the other player doesn't get credit for a kill or even an assist. I remember one game my buddy and I were both running around with second chance and kept reviving each other and only died 3 and 4 times respectively :lol: It's pretty useful on bigger maps, or maps with a lot of elivation changes, but you need at least one other teammate to have it.

Oh, and speaking of assists, they've changed the scoring so that you get more points for an assist depending on how much damage you do to the other player. Which is nice for when people steal your last stand kills

phaneuf6
12-28-2008, 04:37 PM
I love the guns in this COD, I was a big fan of the original COD and COD2 so its nice to see them back in action.

I think I'd rather be faced with avoiding a helicopter than avoiding the dogs. They scare the shit outta me. I mean I'm afraid of dogs in real life as it is :lol:. They're easy enough to kill but they're distracting and if you're hiding or sniping they reveal where you are.

dw13
12-28-2008, 05:48 PM
Yeah sometimes you don't even feel the dogs come on you when they come from behind you. Its real fun though.

Dubz
12-28-2008, 06:03 PM
Gears2 and COD5 are the best. I just learned how to use a primary weapon while holding a sheild. I prefer the Shotgun and standing at the top of stairs...lots of headshots. I also picked up Left For Dead....heard it was decent and fun as hell on multiplayer. Havent tried it out because im still addicted to Gears. Hell Ive only played COD5 once.....and the dogs really are hard to see coming sometimes.

keyboard
12-28-2008, 07:28 PM
I think I'd rather be faced with avoiding a helicopter than avoiding the dogs. They scare the shit outta me. I mean I'm afraid of dogs in real life as it is :lol:. They're easy enough to kill but they're distracting and if you're hiding or sniping they reveal where you are.I just hated when you're in a building and the helicopter would work those crazy angles and gun you down. But you make a good point about the dogs, they really are unnecessarily scary. :lol:

gogoayane
12-28-2008, 11:50 PM
I never played COD before so can't really comment... but compared to Vegas 2 and Halo 3... I like the Class features (allow you to set up 10 different soldier type... like shotgun type, sniper, machine gun etc) and that you can change during a match between the Classes.

What I don't like though is the tank in the game... it's quite difficult to take it out and grenades can't do much damage to it and you can't do damages to it while you are up close (makes much more sense if you can destory a tank's chain or dump a nade in the driver hub).

Overall it's a pretty good game... nice and fast paced

dw13
12-28-2008, 11:52 PM
Agreed, the tanks suck.

phaneuf6
12-29-2008, 02:08 AM
Yeah the tanks kind of ruin some rounds for me. I'll just be runnin and gunnin with gagne21 by my side and then a tank will take us both down. Over powered in some sense.

I'm still mega inconsistent in the game. For instance. Went 3-12 in a round today (free for all). Turned around next 2 rounds and went 20-6 and 30-4. Once I get some consistency I'll be owning haha.

dw13
12-29-2008, 02:12 AM
Phanuef, we need to get on each others friends list.. name is: Mattizzle05

Question for you guys:

A new buddy of mine from work got an xbox, and we were going to play Halo(that's all he has).. we couldn't even get into the same party on the new xbox feature.. then we could not get into a game together. Something popped up in Halo.. and said my "NAT was at moderate" and it would cause problems connecting with some people.. I've never had the problem before but me and my buddy could not play any game together... Any ideas?

phaneuf6
12-29-2008, 02:28 AM
Phanuef, we need to get on each others friends list.. name is: Mattizzle05

Question for you guys:

A new buddy of mine from work got an xbox, and we were going to play Halo(that's all he has).. we couldn't even get into the same party on the new xbox feature.. then we could not get into a game together. Something popped up in Halo.. and said my "NAT was at moderate" and it would cause problems connecting with some people.. I've never had the problem before but me and my buddy could not play any game together... Any ideas?
Its your router settings. You have to open up the ports on it for the XBox. Try Portforward.com

keyboard
12-29-2008, 03:47 AM
Yeah the tanks kind of ruin some rounds for me. I'll just be runnin and gunnin with gagne21 by my side and then a tank will take us both down. Over powered in some sense.

I'm still mega inconsistent in the game. For instance. Went 3-12 in a round today (free for all). Turned around next 2 rounds and went 20-6 and 30-4. Once I get some consistency I'll be owning haha.That's impressive. I guess I suck. I just fucking love sniping though, even though it's beyond frustrating when you line a guy up and it misses.

A new buddy of mine from work got an xbox, and we were going to play Halo(that's all he has).. we couldn't even get into the same party on the new xbox feature.. then we could not get into a game together. Something popped up in Halo.. and said my "NAT was at moderate" and it would cause problems connecting with some people.. I've never had the problem before but me and my buddy could not play any game together... Any ideas?Actually, a real easy way to fix it is to open your router in a browser window (just type in your gateway address) and input the IP of your 360 into the DMZ slot, which exempts any device from security settings. Completely safe and easy.

b_illin
12-29-2008, 10:50 AM
Gears2 and COD5 are the best. I just learned how to use a primary weapon while holding a sheild. I prefer the Shotgun and standing at the top of stairs...lots of headshots. I also picked up Left For Dead....heard it was decent and fun as hell on multiplayer. Havent tried it out because im still addicted to Gears. Hell Ive only played COD5 once.....and the dogs really are hard to see coming sometimes.

Let me know what it's like - it's one of those games that looks cool, but could suck balls...or rock. I'm curious to find out!

eff1ngham
12-29-2008, 11:43 AM
Left 4 Dead is awesome if you have people online to play it with. The teammate AI is actually very impressive, they're usually better than your real life teammates, but it's just not as fun. There's a surprising amount of replay value for a game that only has four levels because the Director AI always changes what types of zombies you'll get and where they'll come from (much better than the retarded AI spawning in Rainbow 6 Vegas 2). Running through the levels never really gets old, and the online mode is a lot of fun as well (you play one round as the survivors, then switch sides and play as the special zombie types). I highly recommend it, it's a lot of fun

keyboard
12-29-2008, 11:51 AM
Left 4 Dead is awesome if you have people online to play it with. The teammate AI is actually very impressive, they're usually better than your real life teammates, but it's just not as fun. There's a surprising amount of replay value for a game that only has four levels because the Director AI always changes what types of zombies you'll get and where they'll come from (much better than the retarded AI spawning in Rainbow 6 Vegas 2). Running through the levels never really gets old, and the online mode is a lot of fun as well (you play one round as the survivors, then switch sides and play as the special zombie types). I highly recommend it, it's a lot of funI just watched COD5's zombie mode and Left 4 Dead's game play and they are awfully similar. Though, I like how you can board yourself up in COD 5, that's a smart twist.

dw13
12-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Its your router settings. You have to open up the ports on it for the XBox. Try Portforward.com

At that site what exactly do I do? (I'm a computer noob)

phaneuf6
12-29-2008, 04:51 PM
At that site what exactly do I do? (I'm a computer noob)

Try this

http://live.tommccann.net/

dw13
12-29-2008, 05:12 PM
Try this

http://live.tommccann.net/

Nice, thanks youre the man

eff1ngham
12-29-2008, 06:26 PM
I just watched COD5's zombie mode and Left 4 Dead's game play and they are awfully similar. Though, I like how you can board yourself up in COD 5, that's a smart twist.

The zombie mode in COD5 is a lot of fun, but it's just that same house and the same 6 rooms that you can go into (you get points for killing zombies and for boarding up windows, and you use those points to buy other guns, get more ammo, and to open up other rooms and levels to the castle). It's a good time with a few friends, but it's not really something you could play more than a few times in a row like L4D. That game has a ton of replay value even if you've already got all the achievements. Basically, the fun is talking with your friends and sharing stories about how you beat the levels, or how you died :beer:

dw13
12-29-2008, 11:16 PM
well, it didn't work but I'll keep messing with it.. no clue why its so stupid and fucked up..

moans
12-30-2008, 12:18 AM
anyone down for a game of NHL 09 my name's HerbalChart I'm down to play anytime as well.

keyboard
12-30-2008, 10:20 AM
well, it didn't work but I'll keep messing with it.. no clue why its so stupid and fucked up..You need to add the 360's IP to the DMZ exception list in your router configuration page. I had to do the same thing. Hopefully your IP is static, otherwise it could become really annoying.

dw13
12-30-2008, 12:42 PM
You need to add the 360's IP to the DMZ exception list in your router configuration page. I had to do the same thing. Hopefully your IP is static, otherwise it could become really annoying.

Is their a default 360 IP?

keyboard
12-30-2008, 01:10 PM
Is their a default 360 IP?No, your router assigns it to the 360. Do this:

On the 360, go to network settings and find the IP and write it down.
On a computer on the same network, go to the properities of the connection and find the gateway, it's usually 192.168.x.x.
On a computer on the network, open Internet Explorer and type in the gateway address, that'll load the router configuration (leave the password blank to get in).
Once you're in the router configuration menu find DMZ (might take some looking around, might not), enter the IP from step 1, and you're good to go.

moans
12-30-2008, 01:38 PM
now I'm having this problem too, tried doing the steps you outlined there Kam and my ip address for xbox comes back as 192.168.0.187. however when my gateway is 192.168.2.1, so I go to the DMZ drop down menu and it only allows me to type in ip addresses of 192.168.2.x. Any ideas here?

keyboard
12-30-2008, 03:04 PM
now I'm having this problem too, tried doing the steps you outlined there Kam and my ip address for xbox comes back as 192.168.0.187. however when my gateway is 192.168.2.1, so I go to the DMZ drop down menu and it only allows me to type in ip addresses of 192.168.2.x. Any ideas here?I would change your 360's IP to "static" and make it 192.168.2.9. I chose 9 because I doubt it's being used. Then hit up the DMZ and you should be good.

Dubz
12-30-2008, 08:27 PM
Hard wire it :idea:

eff1ngham
12-31-2008, 10:24 AM
Hard wire it :idea:

Sorry, I didn't notice we'd traveled back in time to 2001 :p

keyboard
12-31-2008, 12:26 PM
Hard wire it :idea:Yes, that's also a solution but for most home networks isn't practical because there are usually several devices requiring Internet access so a direct connection to the modem renders them offline.

gogoayane
01-06-2009, 12:44 AM
Note sure if you guys know this.. but the code to unlock 3rd jersey in NHL09 is out: xe6377uyrwm48frf

Dubz
01-06-2009, 01:24 AM
Sorry, I didn't notice we'd traveled back in time to 2001 :p

:D

Yes, that's also a solution but for most home networks isn't practical because there are usually several devices requiring Internet access so a direct connection to the modem renders them offline.

I just use my router but a splitter/switch or something should work. Of course I could be missing something here. Anyhow since I wired in I no longer have to mess with IP addys and such. It just logs on instantly. I have actually heard of a few people having this problem (we are not all computer science grads eff...believe it or not:D)

I can't stop playing the COD5....pretty fun. I cant wait till I actually get enough points to use a nice gun. I have a machine gun with a frisby like clip on top right now:$

dw13
01-07-2009, 02:25 AM
What rank are you sdubzz? I've been hooked as well.

Dubz
01-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Im only 17. I've got the hang of getting the challenge XPs tho so Im on my way up. Im still learning the maps. Too bad I gotta work sometimes :lol:

dw13
01-08-2009, 12:47 AM
I'm at 37.. trying to get to 53 ASAP and get that damn PPSh gun! Thing is soo sick

moans
01-17-2009, 02:27 PM
fuck I forgot my password for xbox live, so I had to create a new account to activate xbox live again. My new name is MOLOWNAGE666. Greatest name ever I'd say, or close to it. Let's get some halo going I've learned how to play finally.

keyboard
01-17-2009, 02:41 PM
I'm having a really hard time playing Halo after playing COD. The game physics are so different and then Halo feels cheesy.

Dubz
01-17-2009, 04:29 PM
I'm at 37.. trying to get to 53 ASAP and get that damn PPSh gun! Thing is soo sick

43 now....Double points weekend;)

I'm having a really hard time playing Halo after playing COD. The game physics are so different and then Halo feels cheesy.

Told ya :p

Ive never been into first person games but this one has changed that.

eff1ngham
01-18-2009, 02:13 PM
I'm about ready to go prestige level 2 thanks to double points weekend :yes:

The PPSh is a pretty good gun, but the problem is it needs stopping power to be really effective, and it runs out of bullets so fast that you need bandolier as well. But put a round drum on it, bandolier, stopping power and steady aim and it's pretty nasty. But it still can't compare to the MP40. That gun is the M16 of COD5.

Ditto, I haven't play Halo since COD4 came out, just couldn't get back into it (plus I like being able to choose what gun I start with rather than racing to get the power weapons on each map). I had the same problem with Rainbow 6 as well, it was tough to go back and forth so I haven't played R6V2 in a long time either

gogoayane
01-18-2009, 04:15 PM
When does this Double Point weekend end?? Sunday night I hope... haven't had a chance to go on...

Also... any idea on when they'll fix the underground glitch? It's really pissing me off... hopefully they'll send an update out soon.

dw13
01-18-2009, 04:30 PM
Haven't played much this weekend, been busy as heck. I got to rank 45 though!

gogoayane
01-18-2009, 05:54 PM
playing right now... hopefully they have more of these double points weekend

eff1ngham
01-18-2009, 07:25 PM
Also... any idea on when they'll fix the underground glitch? It's really pissing me off... hopefully they'll send an update out soon.

They've fixed a lot of them, but people found a few more. You can't get under the map on Roundhouse, or at the usual spot in Castle, but you still can at the bridge on Castle, and you still can on Seelow. It took them about a month to patch it last time, so I'd imagine in another week or so they're going to have those ones fixed

gogoayane
02-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Anyone tried the Resident Evil 5 demo? Really great game but I wish they can fix up the control a bit and let you move while reload / aim...

Kyle
02-11-2009, 06:23 AM
They've given players enough control with the RE franchise. The limited controls always added to the atmosphere. Its why RE4, despite being a magnificent title, was simply NOT nearly as scary as the other RE games. They rehauled the controls completely and moved much closer to an action game than survivol horror. It worked great, but any more steps taken towards making it an action game: IE letting you move while aiming/reloading, would completely destroy the survivalist atmosphere the game was built on.

You just can't be any more capable than they made you in RE4. Any more and its over the line.

gogoayane
02-15-2009, 12:34 AM
They've given players enough control with the RE franchise. The limited controls always added to the atmosphere. Its why RE4, despite being a magnificent title, was simply NOT nearly as scary as the other RE games. They rehauled the controls completely and moved much closer to an action game than survivol horror. It worked great, but any more steps taken towards making it an action game: IE letting you move while aiming/reloading, would completely destroy the survivalist atmosphere the game was built on.

You just can't be any more capable than they made you in RE4. Any more and its over the line.

That makes sense... I played RE: Code Veronica and RE4 on the Wii... love the game but i think both allows you to move while you aim? Anyways it's just a matter of getting used to it... I'm pretty sure I'll buy it when it comes out.... played way too much FPS so it's hard to adjust to it. :lol:

dw13
04-23-2009, 02:42 AM
So the UFC Undisputed demo comes out today, I didn't get one of the keys so I've been reading what people have said about it, and it sounds awesome. Its 3am on the east coast, almost 4am, and its not out. I want the damn thing to be released!!

Dubz
04-23-2009, 07:36 AM
Yeah...I cant wait to superman punch or knee lunge my friends:D

keyboard
04-23-2009, 09:11 AM
Yeah...I cant wait to superman punch or knee lunge my friends:DWhat's stopping you from doing that now?

chgorman
04-23-2009, 10:42 AM
What's stopping you from doing that now?

Reality.

keyboard
04-23-2009, 12:14 PM
Reality.Right, right. That's what the videogames are for. Thanks.

dw13
04-23-2009, 05:13 PM
Its SICK. Download it if you can!!

Zangetsu
04-24-2009, 12:13 AM
The UFC game is better than I thought it would be, but I'm a bit disappointed by the ground and clinch game. Maybe it's just the Shogun/Liddell matchup, but I haven't been able to do much of anything in tight or on the ground.

I have to say, though, landing a huge head kick for a KO is very satisfying.

dw13
04-24-2009, 12:42 AM
The UFC game is better than I thought it would be, but I'm a bit disappointed by the ground and clinch game. Maybe it's just the Shogun/Liddell matchup, but I haven't been able to do much of anything in tight or on the ground.

I have to say, though, landing a huge head kick for a KO is very satisfying.

Its tough on the ground. I always have to loosen Chuck up with body kicks / body shots and then take him down.

Although he did rock me once, and then jumped in and i caught him in a triangle. Has been my nicest sub so far.

I can't wait for the release of this bad boy

secol
08-15-2009, 02:01 PM
just wondering, i'm thinking of getting a 360 when the new valhalla version comes out later this year supposedly. been looking online and was getting confused on downloading games. is it necessary to mod/flash dvd to play them (don't want to void warranty) and would it work on live (keep seeing mulleter or something with regards to checking the .iso)?

suckerpuncher
08-15-2009, 07:03 PM
just wondering, i'm thinking of getting a 360 when the new valhalla version comes out later this year supposedly. been looking online and was getting confused on downloading games. is it necessary to mod/flash dvd to play them (don't want to void warranty) and would it work on live (keep seeing mulleter or something with regards to checking the .iso)?

Yes, the drive needs to be modded in order to play downloaded games. The latest drives (LiteOn) aren't that easy to flash anymore. You need some special equipment now to do so. And you won't lose your warranty if you don't break the silver seal inside the under the front panel. You can easily avoid breaking by using a hair dryer and heat it up a bit to loosen it up.
I myself was able to mod my older X360 (Samsung ms28 and BenQ drives) without a problem.
But like I said the latest drives need also special equipment so you might be better off if you go to a mod shop and pay a bit extra or go to a friend with expierence and the right equipment.

As far as playing online with downloaded games goes I can't say much. I only play offline. My brother played online for a month or 2 and wasn't banned.
The are some important things you need to obey to be on the safer side.
For once the games needs to be "Stealth". The old Mulleter isn't really up-to-date anymore. Rather use abgx360. It checks the downloaded .iso and if neccessary it gets the "Stealth pateches" inline and implements it into your .iso.
And the most important thing is to never play online before the official release of a game. Some games are available on the internet 1-2 weeks before the official release like GTA IV was. So if you play online over the M$ servers way ahead of schedule you're bound to get banned.
And I personally also use bitsetting on my DVD-burner so the burnt DVD has the bitset DVD-ROM instead of the normal DVD+R DL.
As far as DVD goes you need DVD+R DL not DVD-R DL because the - version does not allow the changing of the Layer Break which is important. The best ones to use are from Verbatim.

But in the end nobody really knows what M$ really does and how they ban people. The banning normally happens in big waves once or twice a year.

secol
08-15-2009, 10:54 PM
ah......that kinda sucks then. especially if the new ones are going to be dramatically different (there were rumors of it going slim). i had my hopes up since there were some places where they said it was just burn+play

EDIT: example of one http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-burn-xbox-360-games-to-disc-and-play-them-on-xbox-360-No-Mod-Chip

suckerpuncher
08-16-2009, 07:38 AM
Going slim is not the problem as long as they don't implement a new generation of DVD drives.
It took almost a year to hack the LiteOn drives.
But so far I've heard no rumors about new drives in the slim version. But who knows. It's best to wait for the slim version to come out and then we'll know if they changed the drives.

And yes, once it's the drive is modded it's simply burn and play.

phaneuf6
09-22-2009, 03:15 PM
Hey guys,

Ran into an issue today with one of my controllers. It's a white wireless Xbox 360 controller and the left joystick all of a sudden is 'sticking' right. What I mean is, its not physically sticking but its behaving as though I have it pushed to the right all the time. It won't respond to me physically pushing it left but it does work up and down. It's happened at some point playing NHL10, probably in a fight.

Anybody have any experience with these kinds of issues and what do you recommend in terms of fixing it?

dw13
09-22-2009, 03:56 PM
Hey guys,

Ran into an issue today with one of my controllers. It's a white wireless Xbox 360 controller and the left joystick all of a sudden is 'sticking' right. What I mean is, its not physically sticking but its behaving as though I have it pushed to the right all the time. It won't respond to me physically pushing it left but it does work up and down. It's happened at some point playing NHL10, probably in a fight.

Anybody have any experience with these kinds of issues and what do you recommend in terms of fixing it?

Did you resync it?

phaneuf6
09-22-2009, 04:54 PM
Strangely enough, now that I go to try resyncing, the problem seems to have disappeared. Thanks for the idea though Matt.

b_illin
09-22-2009, 07:45 PM
How do you resync a controller?

Dubz
09-22-2009, 07:48 PM
How do you resync a controller?

Press the resync button:lol:

Its the button on the center of the console beside the controller inputs.

nyrblue2
10-17-2009, 11:45 AM
Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting a 360 and have to ask a couple dumb (most likely) questions:

If I get an XBox Live Gold account, anyone on the console can use it right? You don't have to have a certain avatar/username/gamertag/whatever "active" to use it? The functionality is basically applied to the console itself? Cause I'm interested in using it for online gameplay and game downloading, but my g/f would use it for Netflix mainly. But if I was on my gamertag, I could still use Netflix too?

How exactly do you get the Xbox Live account and MS points onto your console? Just type in some codes from the cards?

Will any USB wireless adapter work? 100 bucks for the official XBox one seems ridiculous.

Dubz
10-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Yeah you just punch in codes....sorry no familiar with Netflix. I just hardwired mine....cost like $10

Here thers some info on Netflix and XBLive

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live

b_illin
10-17-2009, 01:18 PM
Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting a 360 and have to ask a couple dumb (most likely) questions:

If I get an XBox Live Gold account, anyone on the console can use it right? You don't have to have a certain avatar/username/gamertag/whatever "active" to use it? The functionality is basically applied to the console itself? Cause I'm interested in using it for online gameplay and game downloading, but my g/f would use it for Netflix mainly. But if I was on my gamertag, I could still use Netflix too?

How exactly do you get the Xbox Live account and MS points onto your console? Just type in some codes from the cards?

Will any USB wireless adapter work? 100 bucks for the official XBox one seems ridiculous.

I would like to know this as well as I am thinking of getting Live as well but find $100 to be kinda silly. (I'm afraid I'll shell out $200ish for the adapter and membership then never play)

Yeah you just punch in codes....sorry no familiar with Netflix. I just hardwired mine....cost like $10

Here thers some info on Netflix and XBLive

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live

This is what I would like to do but I have my computer hardwired and the Xbox is on the other side of my apartment (30 ft away)

Zangetsu
10-17-2009, 01:21 PM

Will any USB wireless adapter work? 100 bucks for the official XBox one seems ridiculous.Gold subscriptions are tied to a gamertag. For online play, your g/f would have to use your gamertag, or you would have to buy a second one. I have multiple gold accounts on my 360, and I pay $50/year for each. I'm also unfamiliar with using Netflix through the xbox.

phaneuf6
10-17-2009, 01:33 PM

You can do that online at www.xbox.com once you create an account or you can do it directly on the console.

nyrblue2
10-17-2009, 01:42 PM
Thanks guys.

Still hesitant to buy the wireless adapter though. I will need wireless since my router won't be near where the Xbox goes, but if I can use a random adapter for 30 bucks instead of 100, that would obviously be better.

Dubz
10-17-2009, 01:46 PM
I would like to know this as well as I am thinking of getting Live as well but find $100 to be kinda silly. (I'm afraid I'll shell out $200ish for the adapter and membership then never play)

This is what I would like to do but I have my computer hardwired and the Xbox is on the other side of my apartment (30 ft away)

I ran mine down through the basement under the floor. I doubt you can do that tho. I think the cord was 50 ft. The 13 month membership is only 50 bucks. If you only play once a week with buds its well worth it imo.

boredguy
10-17-2009, 06:24 PM
You can't just buy any wireless adapter and use it, but there are options besides buying the official MS adapter:

http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2007/10/02/how-to-cheap-wireless-for-your-xbox-360/

For gold, it's tied to your gamertag and not the console. So if you want to use the gold features you'll need your gamertag signed in. If she'll just be using it for Netflix though there should be no problem with just leaving yours signed in.

dw13
10-21-2009, 05:32 PM
Got the XBOX back. Madden '10 and Fifa '10 for right now. NHL '10 soon, and more.

two24four
10-21-2009, 05:35 PM
Madden '10 is awesome, in my 2nd season already.

dw13
10-22-2009, 09:30 AM
Fifa 10 is SICK.

Dubz
10-22-2009, 09:49 AM
Is NHL '10 that much better than '09....I was just going to play the one I have for this year. I only play online so the manager/dynasty mode or other extras dont do much for me.

Im patiently waiting for the new COD game.....got it on pre order now:cool:

HABS_FrEaK
10-22-2009, 03:45 PM
Is NHL '10 that much better than '09....I was just going to play the one I have for this year. I only play online so the manager/dynasty mode or other extras dont do much for me.

Im patiently waiting for the new COD game.....got it on pre order now:cool:

Well if you only play online I'm pretty sure you have to get 10 to keep playing...Also yes it's way better, the gameplay is way more real this year.

pjm
10-23-2009, 01:16 AM
My xbox died :(

Zangetsu
10-23-2009, 02:02 AM
Call the people at xbox. I've had two 360's die on me, and they've been very helpful each time. Even if your warranty has expired, there's a chance they'll repair it for free.

FlyGuy78
10-23-2009, 09:30 AM
Call the people at xbox. I've had two 360's die on me, and they've been very helpful each time. Even if your warranty has expired, there's a chance they'll repair it for free.

They will NEVER repair your Xbox for FREE if you are out of warranty unless it full red-rings, and even then you will most likely have to pay. I hear it from customers 3-4 times a day. The average cost of repairing an Xbox 360 is around $100. Microsoft has the worst customer service in the world.

two24four
10-23-2009, 12:06 PM
They will NEVER repair your Xbox for FREE if you are out of warranty unless it full red-rings, and even then you will most likely have to pay. I hear it from customers 3-4 times a day. The average cost of repairing an Xbox 360 is around $100. Microsoft has the worst customer service in the world.

I dont know, my buddie's Xbox died, he called them & told them, they said just send that one into them, & they would send him a new one, & sure enough they did with no probs at all, very fast as well. Like Zang said, they where very helpful with him as well.

nyrblue2
10-23-2009, 12:14 PM
Ended up getting an XBox last weekend. Only have NHL10 and Trials HD (download from Live Arcade). I started my Be A Pro career, got drafted by the Ducks 3rd overall and am through 3 games (plus the prospect game) already. Since I haven't regularly played an NHL game since NHL '99, I figured it would take a while to get used to it so I've been playing on Rookie difficulty. However, I've won all 4 games by double digits and have something like 14 points as a "defensive defenseman". I'm wondering if I should just start over on the next difficulty, but even though I've done well so far, I'm sure I'm still actually pretty bad, lol.

Kyle
10-23-2009, 12:18 PM
I dont know, my buddie's Xbox died, he called them & told them, they said just send that one into them, & they would send him a new one, & sure enough they did with no probs at all, very fast as well. Like Zang said, they where very helpful with him as well.

Emphasize the "without a warrenty" part of Fly's post. Your buddy had a warrenty.

Kyle
10-23-2009, 12:21 PM
Ended up getting an XBox last weekend. Only have NHL10 and Trials HD (download from Live Arcade). I started my Be A Pro career, got drafted by the Ducks 3rd overall and am through 3 games (plus the prospect game) already. Since I haven't regularly played an NHL game since NHL '99, I figured it would take a while to get used to it so I've been playing on Rookie difficulty. However, I've won all 4 games by double digits and have something like 14 points as a "defensive defenseman". I'm wondering if I should just start over on the next difficulty, but even though I've done well so far, I'm sure I'm still actually pretty bad, lol.

Just play whats fun. If the next difficulty is too hard to the point where its no fun, step back down and practice some things that you don't bother doing on your easier difficulty that you might need for the next step up (like if you ignore one timers to throw a completely random example, try to get good with them at an easier difficulty). Then just try again a few days/weeks later.

Just enjoy the trip, sooner or later you get to the very top difficulty and start winning games by 10+ still, which gets kind of boring because you miss that progression. But thats what online is for.

pjm
10-23-2009, 12:29 PM

I did, the "standard warranty" has expired but they have an extended 3 years of warranty specifically for the Red Rings problem. And mine has the red rings, so i'm still good. A xbox coffin is on it's way to my house (hopefully)

MrScientist
10-23-2009, 02:42 PM
Pet peeve on NHL 10...

I swept the Sens in the 1st round of the playoffs, so there was just empty dates on the calendar. I simmed like 5 days ahead (to progress), and my next series appeared the day before and it simmed the first game and lost for me. Why the fuck would it not stop once my next series is ready?

Kyle
10-31-2009, 10:28 PM
Anyone here who has yet to play Borderlands needs to go rent it. Now.

Wow, what a fucking amazing game!

Dubz
10-31-2009, 10:53 PM

I think im gonna try that one out (heard about it) I usually just buy them and resell them. I hate wasting cash to the rental paces.

Kyle
10-31-2009, 11:42 PM
The game definitely has longevity. Theres a new game+ mode where you keep your levels and weapons and everything is super strong. Its a great treat for a game this amazing where you will definitely want to do it all again. So you will got a lot of bang for your buck if you do buy it.

Also, you can do the entire game online with up to three others. I haven't tried this yet but this is supposedly everybody's favorite thing about the game. And I still consider it the BEST game I've played in at least a year, by far. So I'm enjoying it that much without even playing it the way everyone describes as way more fun, so consider that.

Its just a blast, its the best single player first person shooter ever made. Think Farcry except way less boring, way less downtime, and with an entire RPG structure very similar to games like World of Warcraft or the infinite games that has copied it. You level up, weapons have different qualites (Stolen right from warcraft, from weak to strong weapons are either white-green-blue-purple-yellow-orange), there are absolutely endless weapons and shields and grenade mods (literally the number must be in the millions somewhere), and the freedom to tackle missions in any order you want (limited only by your level) just makes for an incredibly fun experience.

The world is absolutely massive and completely open ended (Some areas need certain missions to access but most is right there for you to see right away). About 25% through the game you can begin instantly teleporting to key areas which is the best decision in the entire game. Also there are tons and tons of vehicle points where you spawn a really fast four wheeler with an autoaiming mounted rocket launcher thats an absolute blast to drive around and destroy shit with. They really managed to do away with the most annoying part of open world games, the traveling.

I've been totally out of the gaming loop for almost three years now due to time, but I definitely made the time for this game. I've missed tons of the best games over the last years but I highly doubt I would enjoy any of them as much as this.

You'll definitely love it. Its a 9.5/10 for me and thats only for very small reasons. Very close to a perfect 10.

dw13
11-01-2009, 12:12 AM

Been playing through Steam online (computer version).. and it's siiiiick

eff1ngham
11-02-2009, 04:45 PM
Borderlands is fun, but it's a really incomplete game. Rolling around with friends doing the quests and just killing stuff is a great time, but as a single-player game it's just average. And the disparity in the levels is so large that if you play with someone who's at a much lower level, they'll never be able to kill anything and will die very often. The enemies don't seem to level correctly if you have a party full of different leveled characters.

It annoys me that there's only one vehicle. And the one vehicle isn't customizable in any way other than the color or a choice of two guns. Why do the enemies get a car that can hold 4 people, but our car only holds 2? The car itself handles like shit (they claimed it handled like the 'Hog from Halo, what a crock), and the fact that you can run over any land-based enemy and kill them in 1 hit is disappointing (nothing like accidentally running into a badass alpha skag that's 5 levels higher than you and just running him over in one pass).

The best part of the game is the 87 bazillion guns. It's really cool to find different weapons, but the problem for me is there's no customization of the weapons themselves. You find a gun that's better than what you have, pick it up, if it's not, leave it (or sell it). There's no mods for weapons, the fact that they're built it is fine, but I'd like to actually have mods (corrosive damage, ammo regeneration, better scope, etc) that I can put on different guns rather than just finding one that's better. Don't get me wrong, the weapons are cool, I just don't like that you can only pickup guns, you can't modify them at all once you have them.

I understand why they didn't let you do it either, but I also don't like that there's no way to change your character's look other than the color, and that there's no armor other than a shield. And again, there's no mods other than just finding a better shield. They bill the game as a shooter with RPG elements, but there's no RPG elements other than selecting what skills you get first (you don't actually have to make a choice on what kind of character you get).

It's a fun game, but there's a lot they could have done with it to give it more life. When Modern Warfare comes out next week, I'll probably be trading this game in

eff1ngham
11-02-2009, 04:50 PM
I usually just buy them and resell them. I hate wasting cash to the rental paces.

I hope you're using a service like Goozex, or something similar. Because you realize that if you buy it, then re-sell it back you're only getting like 40% (max) of what you paid for it right? Borderlands has been out for two weeks and it's trade-in value at a game store is like $25. You're better off just spending $10 to rent it for a week and see if you like it. Unless you have a place that'll give you $50 for a game when you trade it in (we don't have anything like that around here, so I use Goozex)

Dubz
11-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Borderlands is fun, but it's a really incomplete game.
It's a fun game, but there's a lot they could have done with it to give it more life. When Modern Warfare comes out next week, I'll probably be trading this game in

I was thinking of picking it up after its cooled. I will buy it used from someone like you that would rather have 35-40 bucks rather than trade in credit. I already paid for for MW2 and figure the weeks following its release borderland will be easy to get. I usually buy them this way (except for the ones Im really into like MW2) and then sell them for 20-30 bucks a year later or just keep them if they have lost all trade in/resale value by then. Whats this goozex?

Kyle
11-02-2009, 08:38 PM
Borderlands is fun, but it's a really incomplete game. Rolling around with friends doing the quests and just killing stuff is a great time, but as a single-player game it's just average. And the disparity in the levels is so large that if you play with someone who's at a much lower level, they'll never be able to kill anything and will die very often. The enemies don't seem to level correctly if you have a party full of different leveled characters.

It annoys me that there's only one vehicle. And the one vehicle isn't customizable in any way other than the color or a choice of two guns. Why do the enemies get a car that can hold 4 people, but our car only holds 2? The car itself handles like shit (they claimed it handled like the 'Hog from Halo, what a crock), and the fact that you can run over any land-based enemy and kill them in 1 hit is disappointing (nothing like accidentally running into a badass alpha skag that's 5 levels higher than you and just running him over in one pass).

The best part of the game is the 87 bazillion guns. It's really cool to find different weapons, but the problem for me is there's no customization of the weapons themselves. You find a gun that's better than what you have, pick it up, if it's not, leave it (or sell it). There's no mods for weapons, the fact that they're built it is fine, but I'd like to actually have mods (corrosive damage, ammo regeneration, better scope, etc) that I can put on different guns rather than just finding one that's better. Don't get me wrong, the weapons are cool, I just don't like that you can only pickup guns, you can't modify them at all once you have them.

I understand why they didn't let you do it either, but I also don't like that there's no way to change your character's look other than the color, and that there's no armor other than a shield. And again, there's no mods other than just finding a better shield. They bill the game as a shooter with RPG elements, but there's no RPG elements other than selecting what skills you get first (you don't actually have to make a choice on what kind of character you get).

Hmm, I think you're being nitpicky, but different folks different strokes. I think we all have little pet peeves with video games that drive us crazy, and I do agree that replacing/upgrading guns could've been done much, much better. I'm using the same purple machine gun that I used for almost the last 25% of the game 25% into my new game file because it happened to have a damage +130% mod on it and nothing I've seen since has come even close to its damage (Soldier class with the class mod that gives +40% combat rifle damage).

That said, I think this is a substantailly above average single player game, but again, to each his own. I personally wasn't a huge fan of bioshock, but everyone else I know thinks it was one of the best games ever. Video games are funny that way.

eff1ngham
11-02-2009, 09:10 PM
It's actually not nitpicking, I think those are substantial flaws in the game ;) Like I said it's a fun game, but I've been following Borderlands for over a year now. And during it's production cycle there were a lot of things said that either did not come true in the game, or are lacking for what I was expecting.

Everyone's different though, so that's just my $0.02

eff1ngham
11-02-2009, 09:14 PM
I was thinking of picking it up after its cooled. I will buy it used from someone like you that would rather have 35-40 bucks rather than trade in credit. I already paid for for MW2 and figure the weeks following its release borderland will be easy to get. I usually buy them this way (except for the ones Im really into like MW2) and then sell them for 20-30 bucks a year later or just keep them if they have lost all trade in/resale value by then. Whats this goozex?

Unless stores are different where you live, then the game will be $55 used for a long time. Maybe in a year it'll drop, and there's a chance that it will go on sale, but most huge releases on the next gen consoles don't drop more than $10 off when you're buying used, especially the multiplayer ones.

That's why I never trade games in, it's not worth it for me to get $25 for a game that's still being sold used for $55. I use Goozex, it's an online game-trading community where games are worth points. So a game like Borderlands still trades for 1000 points (which is equal to $65). If you don't play enough games to make something like Gamefly worthwhile you can check it out. I know a few people who use it, definitely better than trading in games and buying stuff used

Dubz
11-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Unless stores are different where you live, then the game will be $55 used for a long time. Maybe in a year it'll drop, and there's a chance that it will go on sale, but most huge releases on the next gen consoles don't drop more than $10 off when you're buying used, especially the multiplayer ones.

That's why I never trade games in, it's not worth it for me to get $25 for a game that's still being sold used for $55. I use Goozex, it's an online game-trading community where games are worth points. So a game like Borderlands still trades for 1000 points (which is equal to $65). If you don't play enough games to make something like Gamefly worthwhile you can check it out. I know a few people who use it, definitely better than trading in games and buying stuff used

Thanks eff but i think you missed my point...I am planning on getting the game from someone like you (trading it in when MW2 comes out) by giving them $40 cash. Cash is usually more enticing than trading in for credit. If there is no market...I wont sweat it...I'll be playing MW2 anyhow:D

Goozex does sound cool but dont you have to ship the games. If you lose one in the mail it could get costly. Thanks for the tips.

dw13
11-02-2009, 10:39 PM
MW2 ahhhhh :D can't wait!

Kyle
11-03-2009, 01:55 AM
It's actually not nitpicking, I think those are substantial flaws in the game ;) Like I said it's a fun game, but I've been following Borderlands for over a year now. And during it's production cycle there were a lot of things said that either did not come true in the game, or are lacking for what I was expecting.

Everyone's different though, so that's just my $0.02

Well, major flaws in your interpretation of the game moreso than with the game itself. Like I said earlier I've been out of the gaming loop in recent years (used to get EGM, Game informer, etc. and it kept me up to date), so if they really promised substaintial RPG elements, then I'd agree they fell short. That said, things like vehicle customization, lack of different armors, a vehicle handeling poorly (Its definitely not a joy to drive but it absolutely does its job perfectly and the poor handeling never hinders the play experience, its just something that could've been better), lack of weapon customizations, all seem like nitpicky complaints based on wanting more than what the game is. I couldn't customize my master sword in Ocarina of Time but its still arguably the best game ever. I don't see how that immediately qualifies as a substantial flaw unless, again, it was directly promised that there would be extremely deep customization (beyond skill trees).

The only thing you said that could be considered a substantial flaw is the comments on players of different levels, which in reality is an absolutely irrational complaint. Play any MMO like World of Warcraft or anything similar that involves RPG elements with the option to play with friends or alone. You are NEVER meant to play with somebody more than a few levels out of your level range - ever. That applies to any other multiplayer RPG out there - You're not supposed to be a level 40 trying to play with a lvl 30, the game is split up into zones based on levels for a reason. Complaining that a level based game reacts poorly to a party with vastly different levels is completely unfair - Thats your fault for trying to do something that simply wasn't intended by the developers.

The game is designed for you to be at a severe disadvantage when fighting 3+ levels above you and to reward you very little for killing 3 levels below you. So it should be rather obvious why things don't work out too hot if you're a level 30 trying to hang out with level 40s. Just about every open world RPG ever made has areas that aren't meant for you to see until you're of appropriate strength. Thats not a flaw with the game at all.

It just seems like you're trying a bit too hard to find things to not like about this game, maybe you were just overhyped for it and set really high expectations like I did with Fable (Great games but biggest fucking dissapointments ever). But I'll repeat again, if they actually promised these things you have a problem with (or implied it), then I'd see your point of view. If they didn't, then I repeat that I think you're nitpicking a bit.

eff1ngham
11-03-2009, 10:46 AM
If you didn't know anything about the game until it was released, then maybe those things don't matter to you. But like I said, I've been following this game for over a year, and there's a lot of promises that haven't come true.

Borderlands is not an MMO. It's a co-op shooter. There's a huge difference. One of their huge selling points was being able to jump in and out of games with your friends at any time. But that's not the case if your friends are more than one or two levels away from you. They could have done a better job with how the enemy levels work (level up the badass/alpha/bruiser/king and queen enemies and leave the others at a low level for the lower level players to kill, for example). And the loot that gets dropped by higher level enemies should be accessible to lower level players if you invite someone at a higher level into your game. Nothing's more annoying that inviting your friends and having the enemies be too tough to kill, and the loot be too high of a level for your character to use. I understand a lot of their reasons for doing what they did, but everything that's happened doesn't make the game an easy co-op experience the way it was originally supposed to be when the game was first announced.

You can call it nitpicking if you like, or you can try to say that I'm just finding reasons to diss the game, but the fact is when Borderlands what originally announced things like multiple vehicles, vehicle customization, weapon attachments/creating your own guns/customizing guns was supposed to be in the game, it was supposed to have "RPG elements," and it was supposed to be easy to join into a friends game, or to have your friends join into your game. Those are the things they've fallen short on that they promised a year ago when the game was announced. That doesn't mean it's not a fun game. And like I said, if you knew nothing about the game before it was released then those things may not matter to you. But I get annoyed when developers promise things, then don't deliver (Too Human and Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 were both supposed to have 4-player co-op campaigns, Resident Evil 5 was supposed to allow you to run and shoot at the same time, etc). So those things make it a like a 7 out of 10 for me. Which makes it a fun game, but not a great game

Kyle
11-03-2009, 12:11 PM
Like I said, my opinion of your complaints with the game all depends on what was actually said before its release. I'm not asking you to dig up articles cause that'd be silly. I'll take your word for it that they promised deeper RPG elements than they delivered. Thankfully I didn't know about the game until release so it was just a fantastic surprise for me.:beer:

But I still digress on the point about different levels. If theres truly an issue just being 1-2 levels apart, then thats a problem. But if you're trying to make 5+ level gaps work, then thats your own problem because the game just clearly isn't designed for that. I know its not an MMO, but the fact is it works very similar in some ways in that the game is an open world with many random dungeons and zones split up by levels. Sure your suggestion would rectify the situation a bit but you're still gonna get your ass whooped by that elite badass skag because no one else can help you. The point is this should be treated like any MMO in that you are meant to play with people of similar strength. That tends to remain constant with this type of game.

Calling this a co-op shooter is just wrong. Halo is a co-op shooter. This is a first person open world RPG along the lines of Elder Scrolls or Fable except with guns in place of swords, and you must judge it on those standards, not the standards of games like Halo or Call of Duty. You can jump in any time in those games because there is no natural progression you take throughout the game, like just about any other FPS out there. Borderlands is different. There is that progression, and therefor it must be compared to similar games.

FlyGuy78
11-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Borderlands sucks ass!!! It's a comic book version of Fallout and a poor one at that.

Kyle
11-03-2009, 02:13 PM
Borderlands sucks ass!!! It's a comic book version of Fallout and a poor one at that.

Sucks ass...thats your opinion. But a poor comic book version of Fallout is wrong, the games are just not similar and this game clearly had no intent of recreating a Fallout-like experience.

b_illin
11-03-2009, 03:04 PM
Sucks ass...thats your opinion. But a poor comic book version of Fallout is wrong, the games are just not similar and this game clearly had no intent of recreating a Fallout-like experience.

Says the dude who posts long messages about how ?whoever? is wrong for disliking the game. To each his/her own fellas!

FlyGuy78
11-03-2009, 03:06 PM

Yes, that would be my opinion. And this game clearly had no intent of making it fun for the player. And you say that it's not like Fallout, but they are both in the same genre....FPS RPG.

Kyle
11-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Says the dude who posts long messages about how ?whoever? is wrong for disliking the game. To each his/her own fellas!

Shit stirring like a pro, as usual. He responded to me liking a game by sharing what he felt was wrong with it. So I considered that an invitation to discuss things and thats exactly what I did. Quit trying to start shit over nothing, I'm being perfectly respectful to Effingham's opinion, and even said hes very valid on most all of his points (if they really did promise certain things which it seems they did), just one specific issue I thought was an unfair complaint and it absolutely is when you consider the genre (The issue with vastly different levels not working together).

I'm not telling anybody not to have an opinion, I'm not telling anybody they're wrong to dislike the game. Thats what a discussion is, an exchange of opinions. Join it or run along, no need to be an ass (Which you so cleverly disguise as an attempt to be helpful with the "to each his own fellas" crap, nice try!).

And you say that it's not like Fallout, but they are both in the same genre....FPS RPG.

Fallout is built on its narrative and in depth customization first and foremost, and getting attatched to your character. Borderlands definitely has no emphasis on story or narrative at all (I think my character is named Roland? After 30+ hours, I still have to ask) and its all about the sheer joy of just playing the through the game (Which obviously comes down to personal taste), which is why you get to your destinations almost instantly (The vehicle can cover any map from end to end within 30 seconds and theres instant teleporting to almost everywhere) so you can continue enjoying the addicting combat and weapon/character progression. Fallout is more about surviving situations than chasing after them like you do in Borderlands.

I don't think the comparison is totally wrong, as there are only so many open world FPS RPGs out there, but to call it a poor man's Fallout is unfair and takes away from what the game does that fallout doesn't do. IE, precise combat not unlike Call of Duty or Halo (Fallout involves no skillful aiming at all) and the blast of picking up weapons, and the fact that you rarely ever feel like you're being guided by the story and almost always seem free to do whatever the hell you want, whenever the hell you want. Fallout has sidequests but the focus is obviously on the progressive story.

Could it have benefitted from a few pages taken out of Fallout's book? Definitely. Most games can take pages from Fallout. But the vice versa surely applies with Borderlands. Borderland will be immitated in numerous ways over the years, a few of it's ideas would've turned Farcry (Such a shame) from a gigantic mess of wasted potential to one of the best games ever. It has a lot of really well executed, great ideas.

And this game clearly had no intent of making it fun for the player

Right, thank God it came out on opposite day so it got 9s and 9.5s instead of a 1 like the reviewers really meant to give it.;)

eff1ngham
11-04-2009, 01:18 AM
The only thing I'd disagree on there is that Fallout doesn't really focus on the narrative or the story. To be honest, I have no idea what the fuck that actual storyline was about in that game. It was all about exploring the entire landscape, doing side quests, and deciding between good and evil (typical for the development company that put the game out). I put over 100 hours into Fallout 3, and I couldn't tell you what the actual story was about. But Fallout and Borderlands are completely different games. Yes the setting is relatively similar, but that's about it.

IMO Fallout is clearly the better game, but it's a single-player, exploration game. Borderlands is a fast-paced action, FPS that is "supposed to" be a great multiplayer experience as well. I've already posted my thoughts on that so I won't go into it again, but most missions in Borderlands take 10-15 minutes to run though, and there's a ton of them. It's meant to be fast-paced with the only exploring being done to get more loot. In Fallout the missions could take an hour or more depending on the requirements, and sometimes would take much longer if you wanted to explore the area just to look at things. Like I said, vastly different games that just happen to be in a similar setting

Kyle
11-04-2009, 03:41 AM
Good point, and thanks for the dose of knowledge, I've still yet to play through Fallout completely.:beer:

And yes I agree its in a higher league of gaming based on what little I have played. Fallout is AAA+ along with titles like Uncharted 2 or Mass Effect., Borderlands is more just AAA along the lines of Farcry or a new Ratchet and Clank (Playstation owners get all the good fucking platformers).

It was more the implication that Borderlands tries and fails to be a Fallout-type game that irked me moreso than just thinking its a worse game. I agree its a worse game, but its definitely not a poor man's Fallout, as you agreed with!

FlyGuy78
11-04-2009, 10:37 AM
PS3 does have the better platformers and is just an all-around better system. Since the price decrease of all the systems a month ago, PS3 have sold more than Xbox and Wii.

MrScientist
11-04-2009, 02:01 PM
PS3 does have the better platformers and is just an all-around better system. Since the price decrease of all the systems a month ago, PS3 have sold more than Xbox and Wii.

But is that because everyone already has an Xbox or a Wii, so you're seeing the first time PS3 buyers finally?

Kyle
11-04-2009, 03:15 PM
But is that because everyone already has an Xbox or a Wii, so you're seeing the first time PS3 buyers finally?

Yes.

Xbox 360 still has the advantage with a better game library and MUCH better online service. But PS3 is definitely catching up fast.

nyrblue2
11-05-2009, 09:29 AM
Got tired of playing NHL10 on rookie difficulty, so I started over on Be A Pro, but bumped it up to All-Star (skipped Pro). Lost in OT in the Prospects game, but had 3 G, 1 A (from the blue line), got drafted 1st overall by the Blues, got an assist in my first game, but lost 5-4 to DET. It's definitely a lot better when you don't win every game by double digits.

FlyGuy78
11-05-2009, 10:56 AM
Yes.

Xbox 360 still has the advantage with a better game library and MUCH better online service. But PS3 is definitely catching up fast.

Well in the past 6 months at my work, more and more Xboxers are converting to PS3 since Xbox just can't compete anymore. They don't have anything to offer that the PS3 doesn't have to offer. Halo has blown it's load, Gears of War 2 was too short of a game, and Left 4 Dead isn't going to keep people from switching to PS3.

Xbox is still more expensive than all the other systems when you want to play online. If you go wireless, you have to pay $100 for the wireless adapter (since Microsoft is too cheap to build the Wi-Fi straight into the machine) and then you have to pay $50/year for Xbox Live. There may be more people on XBox Live, but I have never had a problem finding people to play on PS3 Network and I don't pay a dime to play on it.

And as of lately, yes it is people who are finally buying PS3 for the first time since it is now technically cheaper than XBox if you play online (plus the new PS3 slim looks hot!!). And with the better platformers lately (Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, Demon Soul) PS3 is blowing Xbox out of the water.

Unfortunately though when COD:MW2 comes out, most nitbags will be playing it on XBox, but that is just because they have to play it on the same machine their friends have. Most of my Xbox customers have told me lately that if their friends didn't own an Xbox, they wouldn't either.

Kyle
11-05-2009, 01:40 PM
They don't have anything to offer that the PS3 doesn't have to offer. Halo has blown it's load, Gears of War 2 was too short of a game, and Left 4 Dead isn't going to keep people from switching to PS3

This just isn't true at all. If you want to list each system's exclusives I'd be glad to go about it that way. The 360 has a LARGER list of BETTER exclusive games and thats what makes it the current winner in the console war.

And you realize Gears of War is no shorter than Uncharted 2? Sorry man but your entire post sounds delusional, you must try really hard to shelter yourself from reality (That reality being the 360 is insanely more popular and well-liked as of now) and convince yourself that all 360 owners envy PS3 owners. You sound absurd.

As for Halo blowning its load - thats a joke too, right? I'm not a fan of Halo 3 as I've found Halo to have gone backwards since Halo CE, but the reality is its still overwhelmingly more popular online than any PS3 game is, and that will remain true for at least a year or two longer. Halo is the single biggest exclusive console game ever made and at no point in the PS3's ENTIRE lifetime will any exclusive game come remotely close to touching Halo's magnitude to the gaming world. In two years Halo 3 will still be more populated online than brand new PS3 multiplayer games.

People aren't "switching" to the PS3, they're adding it to their libraries so they can enjoy all the great games it has to offer ALONG with their amazing 360 exclusives.

I absolutely admit PS3 has plenty of awesome exclusives. But 360 has more. No one is turning their back to the unbelivable 360 franchises like Mass Effect or Assassin's Creed, but now they're embracing the fact that they can enjoy their loved PS3-exclusives without feeling like a dumbass (Which, sorry to say, is what most people who chose a PS3 over a 360 looked like for two+ years). I'm one of those guys who wanted to play some games for the PS3 but there just weren't enough to warrent the stupid price. Now the price is right and the library has grown and now its worth it to be able to play the awesome exclusives. But no ones replacing their 360, its still the better value.

PS3 may make an argument for an equal single player value but the fact is anyone who enjoys multiplayer at all will have a much better experience paying for XBox live and playing on the 360 over the free PSN. Nobody who can afford a 360/PS3 has trouble affording 1 dollar a week for XBox live. Its well worth it. Any game available for both systems is more fun online on the 360. Come up with whatever reason you want for that, it is what it is.

Come back from fairytale land man, its cool to like the PS3 more, we all have our tastes, but you don't have to lie/exaggerate about so much random crap like you just did.

Most of my Xbox customers have told me lately that if their friends didn't own an Xbox, they wouldn't either

Yeah, if by most you mean 10% (probably a generous number), and probably 50% of that 10% just said they wouldn't own their 360's because you probably came on so strongly about your love for the PS3.:lol: Quit exaggerating dude. I'm sure you've heard a few people say that, but most Xbox customers? Not true.

Still lots of catching up to do for Sony. The PS3 is not on equal terms with the 360 yet, but its definitely closer than its ever been and I'm glad for that!

FlyGuy78
11-05-2009, 01:51 PM
When you get into the video game retail business Kyle, then give me a call.

Assassin's Creed is NOT a 360 franchise as it is on both systems. Halo, from just about EVERY SINGLE CUSTOMER who has bought Halo ODST has said it sucks ballz and that Halo is not even among their favorites anymore. Call of Duty Modern Warfare is mostly responsible for that but it also has to do with Halo having NO STORY whatsoever and the fact that it has lost all its mojo. Trust me dude, I'm not blowing smoke up your ass, I'm just telling you what Xbox customers tell me everyday.

And don't even get me started on how bad the quality of an XBox system is compared to a PS3. Xbox's break on a daily basis and the whole red-ring fiasco is still going on to this day, even when Microsoft has said that there new machines shouldn't red-ring.

And like I said, PS3 is cheaper than Xbox and adds a blu-ray player. You say that PS3 network sucks, but it's fucking free man. I don't have to pay like you do. And what is so awful about it, you do the same shit on PS3 network you do on Xbox Live....you download demos, maps, movies, and play online games. You pay $50 a year to do that??? What a joke!!

And yes XBox may be the more popular system, but popular doesn't mean the best. ;)

And I'll take Uncharted, Metal Gear Solid, and Ratchet & Clank over Halo, Gears of War, and Left 4 Dead any day of the week!!

Kyle
11-05-2009, 02:00 PM
When you get into the video game retail business Kyle, then give me a call.

Instead of giving you a call, I'll come onto a message board and make up stories about conversations with customers so I look like less of a whacko for saying things that are proven wrong all around us every day.

For every frustrated XBox consumer you know, theres a proportionate (Meaning lower due to the fact that the system has sold so much lower) amount of frustrated PS3 owners for various reasons. Your attempt to make the 360 seem like old news with nothing to offer but old games like Halo and gears of War is just laughable.

And who cares about Halo ODST? That game is completely irrelevant and Halo's story has NOTHING to do with its popularity or why it will remain popular. Halo's significance is 99% in its multiplayer experience, so when a single PS3 games remains nearly as played as Halo 3 still is, then you can bring up irrelevant bullshit about what you hear .00001% of the gaming population tell you from a random gamestop desk in whatever random city you live in. Knowing a few guys who said "Man fuck Halo, I'm ready for the *Insert PS3 franchise" doesn't all the sudden give you merit to say "Dudes, the 360 is old and tired, everyone is so bored of Halo and now they're switching to PS3 cause the 360 has nothing to offer!"

Its sample size, dude. Everyone in my family likes just onions on our hot dogs, does that mean I should go on a nation-wide tour ranting and raving about how ketchup is old news and the nation is making a clear shift to onions based on my experience? Should I ignore the fact that probably every neighbor surrounding me DOES like ketchup on their hotdogs just because what I see every day says onions are more popular? That is EXACTLY what you're doing with your extremely small sample size at your store. You're trying to say a few dozen people's opinions at your store bridges the massive number gap between the 360 and PS3. I'm calling that horseshit, plaina nd simple.

And yeah, the red ring is lame. Embarassing, eve. Look, I'm not even trying to tell you without a doubt that the 360 is better (I may have said that at some point in my last post but its largely irrelevant). We can discuss the pros and cons all day, but I don't care to. My point is you're lying and exaggerating and are blatantly making crap up to try to make the PS3 look like its already overtaken the 360. Let reality dictate which system is better. For now reality says 360 wins. If the PS3 is really having the revolution you seem to think its having, reality will show that soon. No need to talk like it already happened.

Kyle
11-05-2009, 02:10 PM
And I'll take Uncharted, Metal Gear Solid, and Ratchet & Clank over Halo, Gears of War, and Left 4 Dead any day of the week!!

Which is completely cool. But would you say the gaming world agrees with you? No, you absolutely can't say that because SALES says that consumers like the second group of games more. Since we can't disprove eachother's opinions, sales are ALL we can use to argue, and because of that, I can say you're factually wrong for saying the 360 community is tired of Halo and Gears of War. Some people might be, sure. Others are already tired of Uncharted 2, played out Metal Gear months ago, and finished their new game+ playthrough of Ratchet and Clank within four days of its release. You're trying to make universal problems and complaints look like they're exclusive to the 360.

Almost every thing you mentioned bad about the 360 (Except the red rings) is in reality just extremely miniroty opinions that translate perfectly to the PS3 (As in, for everyone tired of Halo, someone else is tired of Ratchet and Clank). Its just annoying hearing you act like such a successful system with such great games to come is a sinking ship with the PS3 as its lifeboat, when that couldn't be farther from reality.

FlyGuy78
11-05-2009, 02:11 PM
Why would I make shit up dude?? I have no reason to. You can think whatever you want to think, but I'm telling you what I hear on a daily basis. And who are you to tell me that it's all bullshit?? Keep sucking the cock of Bill Gates who doesn't care about the consumer, just putting out a bad product that if it breaks, just send it back and we'll fix it and if it breaks again, send it back again and we'll fix it.

You say sample size, but considering your family may consist of 5 people whereas I'm hearing it from hundreds upon hundreds of customers. Yeah dude, same sample size!! You sound like a complete jackass. I'm not saying that the XBox is more popular I'm saying that now that PS3 is CHEAPER all around than XBox, the added frustration of system failure, and the decline of GREAT franchise titles that PS3 will be the more popular system sooner than later.

FlyGuy78
11-05-2009, 02:17 PM
Which is completely cool. But would you say the gaming world agrees with you? No, you absolutely can't say that because SALES says that consumers like the second group of games more. Since we can't disprove eachother's opinions, sales are ALL we can use to argue, and because of that, I can say you're factually wrong for saying the 360 community is tired of Halo and Gears of War. Some people might be, sure. Others are already tired of Uncharted 2, played out Metal Gear months ago, and finished their new game+ playthrough of Ratchet and Clank within four days of its release. You're trying to make universal problems and complaints look like they're exclusive to the 360.

Almost every thing you mentioned bad about the 360 (Except the red rings) is in reality just extremely miniroty opinions that translate perfectly to the PS3 (As in, for everyone tired of Halo, someone else is tired of Ratchet and Clank). Its just annoying hearing you act like such a successful system with such great games to come is a sinking ship with the PS3 as its lifeboat, when that couldn't be farther from reality.

And your notion of "we only have sales to go off of" is completely wrong. Just because a game sells well, does NOT mean it's a good game. It means it got great hype, reviews, and advertisement.

COD:MW2 will sell more games than any other in history come next week, but just because that is true, does NOT mean it will be the best game in history, though I think it will, but it does not guarantee it. If 1 million people bought the game on release day and 75% of those people returned or traded it in with in a few days, then those sales numbers don't mean shit towards how GOOD of a game it is.

Kyle
11-05-2009, 02:22 PM
But thats not what you said AT ALL.

Lets run down what you said.

A) People are tired of Halo. False. Halo is still massively successful online years after its release because people AREN'T tired of it and still consider it a blast.

B) People are tired of Gears of War because its too short. What the fuck? Its just as long as God of War or Uncharted (In the 10 hour range). And the online is still very popular.

C) "Xbox just can't compete anymore. They don't have anything to offer that the PS3 doesn't have to offer." Do I really need to go into why this is completely fabricated horseshit all over again?

Why would you make shit up? Cause you're an irrational PS3 lover who tries way too hard to say anything that basically sums up to "PS3 RULES AND 360 SUCKS." You sound like you wear Sony shirts casually and probably threw a party when you read that the PS3 outsold the 360 for a month. I don't know why you despise one system so much and love another so much more, thats your thing and I won't call you out on it, but you're trying WAY too hard to make your opinion seem like the majority when it isn't even CLOSE. And your hundreds means absolutely NOTHING to a population of millions. For a second time - Get a grip, you're ridiculous.

And you're only showing what a delusional PS3 warrior you are when you say I'm sucking Bill Gate's cock. Learn to read my words or don't bother responding because I've said more than enough to show that I respect both systems a lot. I even said I'm getting a PS3 soon. If I sound like a 360 fanboy its only because you're being so irrational and delusional that theres no other way to disagree with you. Why can't you just say you like the PS3 more but still throw the 360 its due props like I do for the PS3? Grow up man, you love plenty of games on both systems (Whether you'd admit it now or not) so you're only limiting yourself needlessly by trying so hard to hate the 360.

Oh, and D) It is a complete fact that you are lying about most XBox consumers saying they wouldn't own their systems if their friends didn't. Its hilarious that you seem to have yourself convinced that this is true, which only gives more merit to my theory about the Sony shirts!

If you just said the PS3 will become more popular sooner or later because of shit you heard around the store I would not have disagreed with you (Probably would've just taken a quick jab and said something like "Right, show me those numbers in five years cause thats how long it will take for the PS3 to catch up[") But you didn't say that. You tried to make the 360 look like a sinking ship grasping onto old, worn out franchises. Thats what I took exception to. It seems like you're such a Sony fanboy that you don't even realize how delusional you've been and actually think you're being rational. You are now, but you definitely were NOT in that first post!;)

Kyle
11-05-2009, 02:48 PM
But honestly this is stupid. I haven't had a "Console war" online in so many years that I'm almost ashamed of myself. I won't be debating this anymore. Didn't mean to get heated over something so silly, I've talked sports enough with you to know that I shouldn't pick at your wording so much and just ignore some of the exaggerations. Play whatever system you like best, asshole.;)

FlyGuy78
11-06-2009, 01:41 PM
But honestly this is stupid. I haven't had a "Console war" online in so many years that I'm almost ashamed of myself. I won't be debating this anymore. Didn't mean to get heated over something so silly, I've talked sports enough with you to know that I shouldn't pick at your wording so much and just ignore some of the exaggerations. Play whatever system you like best, asshole.;)

You too nitbag!! :)

eff1ngham
11-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Unfortunately though when COD:MW2 comes out, most nitbags will be playing it on XBox, but that is just because they have to play it on the same machine their friends have.

Wrong. It's because the 360 controller was built for FPS. As much as I love the DS3 (I've actually loved all the dual shocked controllers) and dislike the 360 controller, the 360 has a much better layout and feel when playing FPS. I'd much rather play COD on a controller that feels right for the game.

Also, for all the problems XBL has (and it has A LOT), it does have the party system which makes it easier to deal with all the d-bags who play games online. And unless they've done some work on it, XBL is more stable than the PSN for games like COD

pjm
11-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Yeah I actually have both consoles and haven`t touched the PS3 in probably about 6 months. It`s definitely the better console if you enjoy single-player games. If you like multiplayer and have friends with an X360, the Xbox is way better fit. The PS3 just doesn`t cut it for online capabilities.

I`ve been playing Gears 2 ever seen it was released, man that game is a fuckin blast (and incredibly frustrating) when you play with friends online.

Dubz
11-06-2009, 10:07 PM
Yeah I actually have both consoles and haven`t touched the PS3 in probably about 6 months. It`s definitely the better console if you enjoy single-player games. If you like multiplayer and have friends with an X360, the Xbox is way better fit. The PS3 just doesn`t cut it for online capabilities.

I`ve been playing Gears 2 ever seen it was released, man that game is a fuckin blast (and incredibly frustrating) when you play with friends online.

Thats how I feel although I dont own the PS3 (I have been a sony player since forever (which is a long time young jedi) but was waiting for the price drop) I only play online with friends so 360 is the easy choice. I here the online is shitty for PS3 and dont care much for blue ray so the price drop or free/shitty online isnt appealing to me.

Have you cleared the hoards on GOW2? Im guessing thats what you are playing. Awesome game but it will be all MW2 pretty soon.....cant wait.

I also think the controllers on xbox are better (trust me I hated them when I was learning/changing over from PS) Trigger rules.

As for games there are comparable "franchise" games but it doesnt matter to me if you cant online full tilt. Take the $50 and make the online sick and the PS3 may win.

These are just my humble opinions after a couple beers and Leafs Victory...so im happier than usual:lol:

pjm
11-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Thats how I feel although I dont own the PS3 (I have been a sony player since forever (which is a long time young jedi) but was waiting for the price drop) I only play online with friends so 360 is the easy choice. I here the online is shitty for PS3 and dont care much for blue ray so the price drop or free/shitty online isnt appealing to me.

Have you cleared the hoards on GOW2? Im guessing thats what you are playing. Awesome game but it will be all MW2 pretty soon.....cant wait.

I also think the controllers on xbox are better (trust me I hated them when I was learning/changing over from PS) Trigger rules.

As for games there are comparable "franchise" games but it doesnt matter to me if you cant online full tilt. Take the $50 and make the online sick and the PS3 may win.

These are just my humble opinions after a couple beers and Leafs Victory...so im happier than usual:lol:

Naw we started out on Horde mode for Gears but eventualy moved over to the Execution style multiplayer mode. 3 of my buds have the game too so we just make a party and take the team online... we win more than we lose but that game is so god damn inconsistent when you play it online. It's like you either load into a match holding a shotgun or a nerf shooter diguised as a shotgun :wtf:

Another thing... its not like I don't play PS3 because i don't know anyone with a PS3. I actually know at least 3 other people with a PS3 who play it pretty regularly... its just such a pain in the ass to set up a match/send a message/get in a chat with a friend. I don't even know if you can get in a private chat with more than one person (which is a pretty critical feature for me). I will be playing Uncharted2 pretty soon but not really interested in the multiplayer aspect of it because of the reasons i listed above.

And yeah totally agree on the controller.... when i move back to the PS3 controller it feels horrible. I'll be buying MW2 for xbox360 just because the online system is so much better and the controller feels a lot more natural.

Kyle
11-06-2009, 10:47 PM
The way I see it, neither system has the singleplayer edge.

360 has (off the top of my head):

Mass Effect, Gears of War 2, Halo 3, Blue Dragon, Crackdown, Fable 2, Forza 3 (Completely brilliant game), Lost Odyssey, Project Gothem 4.

That list bashes heads very well with Sony's list of Uncharted, God of War, Grand Tourismo, Ratchet and Clank, Metal Gear, Resistence, Killzone 2, etc. It can go either way depending on genre tastes and if I HAD to chose one I would pick PS3 but I think single player is a very close race between the two.

Multiplayer is obviously no question. The superior FPS controller (Triggers just work better, period) combined with the infinitely super XBL service make it a wash for the 360. The addition of Left for Dead (Arguably the best multiplayer game ever made) makes it even more of a landslide for the 360.

Thats why I prefer it. But the PS3 has the advantage of now being equal in price and offering a bluray for that price. That would be enough to barely sway me if I were a single player gamer exclusively but factor in the multiplayer benefits and 360 is just clearly the way to go if you have to pick.

Sony lost a valuable edge in quality RPGs when they lost the exclusive rights to Final Fantasy. If that change didn't happen I'd say it has a clear single player edge but as it is they both match up very well. 360 owns the RPG category while PS3 owns the platformer category. Halo/Gears of War at the very least cancel out Resistence/Killzone but IMO they are a better pair of games. All four are great FPS though.

Dubz
11-06-2009, 10:54 PM
Naw we started out on Horde mode for Gears but eventualy moved over to the Execution style multiplayer mode. 3 of my buds have the game too so we just make a party and take the team online... we win more than we lose but that game is so god damn inconsistent when you play it online. It's like you either load into a match holding a shotgun or a nerf shooter diguised as a shotgun :wtf:

Another thing... its not like I don't play PS3 because i don't know anyone with a PS3. I actually know at least 3 other people with a PS3 who play it pretty regularly... its just such a pain in the ass to set up a match/send a message/get in a chat with a friend. I don't even know if you can get in a private chat with more than one person (which is a pretty critical feature for me). I will be playing Uncharted2 pretty soon but not really interested in the multiplayer aspect of it because of the reasons i listed above.

And yeah totally agree on the controller.... when i move back to the PS3 controller it feels horrible. I'll be buying MW2 for xbox360 just because the online system is so much better and the controller feels a lot more natural.

The ratio of xbox360 owners to PS3 owners that play is probably 70/30.(in my neck of the woods) Like I said...im just guessing and addng a couple reasons why I wouldnt buy a PS3 just yet (Even though I have always loved PS more and it is in my price range....finally) Youve actaully added more....I guess the group chat thing is more of a perk than I realized.

pjm
11-06-2009, 11:12 PM

Mass Effect, Gears of War 2, Halo 3, Blue Dragon, Crackdown, Fable 2, Forza 3 (Completely brilliant game), Lost Odyssey, Project Gothem 4.

That list bashes heads very well with Sony's list of Uncharted, God of War, Grand Tourismo, Ratchet and Clank, Metal Gear, Resistence, Killzone 2, etc. It can go either way depending on genre tastes and if I HAD to chose one I would pick PS3 but I think single player is a very close race between the two.

I know its totally down to personal tastes, but IMO the PS3 singlelayer list absolutely blows the Xbox list out of the water.

Honestly though both consoles are a good option at this point. For those new to the console game, my advice would be to grab a 360 if you will be playing with friends online. Grab a PS3 for the better singleplayer games, if you need a media console, or if you're looking for free online mulitplayer with random people.

FlyGuy78
11-06-2009, 11:30 PM

Multiplayer is obviously no question. The superior FPS controller (Triggers just work better, period) combined with the infinitely super XBL service make it a wash for the 360. The addition of Left for Dead (Arguably the best multiplayer game ever made) makes it even more of a landslide for the 360.

Thats why I prefer it. But the PS3 has the advantage of now being equal in price and offering a bluray for that price. That would be enough to barely sway me if I were a single player gamer exclusively but factor in the multiplayer benefits and 360 is just clearly the way to go if you have to pick.

Sony lost a valuable edge in quality RPGs when they lost the exclusive rights to Final Fantasy. If that change didn't happen I'd say it has a clear single player edge but as it is they both match up very well. 360 owns the RPG category while PS3 owns the platformer category. Halo/Gears of War at the very least cancel out Resistence/Killzone but IMO they are a better pair of games. All four are great FPS though.

Actually Kyle, if you decide to go wireless with the Xbox, then the Xbox is actually $100 more expensive than the PS3 since the PS3 has wi-fi built in.

Kyle
11-06-2009, 11:47 PM
I know its totally down to personal tastes, but IMO the PS3 singlelayer list absolutely blows the Xbox list out of the water.

Honestly though both consoles are a good option at this point. For those new to the console game, my advice would be to grab a 360 if you will be playing with friends online. Grab a PS3 for the better singleplayer games, if you need a media console, or if you're looking for free online mulitplayer with random people.

Yeah, its really just RPG fans who choose XBox for singleplayer.

Kyle
11-07-2009, 02:10 PM
I just rented Brutal Legend. Supposed to be great, I'm excited!

FlyGuy78
11-07-2009, 02:26 PM
I just rented Brutal Legend. Supposed to be great, I'm excited!

I played the demo and really enjoyed it. I've heard it's short, but a very good game.

Kyle
11-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Yeah, I rented Fable 2 also, should enjoy that a lot too. I loved Fable 1. I heard it gets kind of annoying managing your character in Fable 2 like feeding him and whatnot, and I heard it definitely is not as long as everyone wanted which was the biggest issue with Fable 1.

Either way, they should keep me entertained this weekend if only for a short while.

eff1ngham
11-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Heh, I remember thinking that MW2 not supporting party chat for XBL games wasn't going to be a big deal, especially with how many people try to cheat at the game. But having to actually be in the game lobbies, and having to hear the retards on XBL again just makes me sad. I forgot how nice it was just to just sit in a party with my friends and not have to hear the rest of the internet :lol:

boredguy
11-10-2009, 11:57 AM
There's settings so that the only voice chat you can hear is your friends. Should be under privacy settings somewhere in the dashboard.

moans
11-10-2009, 11:16 PM
pretty hilarious video here.
http://www.babelgum.com/4007716/ultrarealistic-modern-warfare-video-game-features-engine-repair-awaiting-orders.html

pjm
11-11-2009, 12:47 AM
SO i picked up Call of Duty today but my xbox still hasn't come back from the dead yet... looking forward to playing the game.

FlyGuy78
11-11-2009, 10:08 AM
SO i picked up Call of Duty today but my xbox still hasn't come back from the dead yet... looking forward to playing the game.

I got it for the PS3 and it is awesome!

dw13
11-11-2009, 11:59 AM
MW2 is sick. Got it on PC as well now!

pjm
11-17-2009, 03:38 AM
So got the xbox back today, played MW2. Got totally raped online... my best game was 13k/13d. Gonna take some getting used to, I guess. Need to figure out the guns too. Been using one of those sub machine guns for the beginning... UMP i think. We'll see how it goes

phaneuf6
11-17-2009, 04:41 AM
I'm going to wait until Boxing Day to pick up MW2. I'll be grabbing my copy of FIFA 10 this weekend though, pretty excited for that.

Dubz
11-17-2009, 11:55 AM
:mtr:

The new weapons perks and kill streak perks are awesome. The maps are pretty good as well.

dw13
11-17-2009, 01:08 PM
I'm going to wait until Boxing Day to pick up MW2. I'll be grabbing my copy of FIFA 10 this weekend though, pretty excited for that.

FIFA 10 is sick. Especially if you have some buddys that play

b_illin
11-27-2009, 07:58 PM
If I could only choose one video game for the rest of my life it would be from the Grand Theft Auto series. I just love pulling up to cops in a Hummer and blasting with my sub-machine gun and starting a 3-star chase. I'm happy doing that...screw the missions...causing shit is too much fun!

phaneuf6
11-27-2009, 10:06 PM
Got Assassin's Creed II. Such a dirty game.

keyboard
12-07-2009, 04:51 PM
The glitches are making online play unbearable for Modern Warfare 2, especially for Domination.

pjm
12-07-2009, 04:54 PM
The glitches are making online play unbearable for Modern Warfare 2, especially for Domination.

That Javelin thing is just ridiculous... what other glitches are there?

keyboard
12-07-2009, 04:55 PM
That Javelin thing is just ridiculous... what other glitches are there?That one is brutal. I hate it the most because it's not even like you're cheating to improve your score. You're just trading off kills. At least members caught using it are banned for 24 hours. That might seem like an eternity to guys with no lives like that.

You can get unlimited care packages. That one is a lot harder to pull off, but I played a team of guys all doing it. Literally the entire top corner of the map was red care package markers, and I spent the entire game shooting down various aircrafts.

boredguy
12-07-2009, 05:00 PM
Sure it wasn't just a team who all had the emergency air drop killstreak? That drops 4 care packages and it only needs a ks of 8 which isn't too high.

keyboard
12-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Sure it wasn't just a team who all had the emergency air drop killstreak? That drops 4 care packages and it only needs a ks of 8 which isn't too high.I thought it might be, but looked at the number of kills each member had and the math didn't add up.

pjm
12-07-2009, 05:11 PM
Sure it wasn't just a team who all had the emergency air drop killstreak? That drops 4 care packages and it only needs a ks of 8 which isn't too high.

KS of 8 is pretty damn high for me :lol:

Kyle
12-07-2009, 05:29 PM
For real. That made me feel like a chump. :lol:

Seriously, I do pretty good, but I'm using a garbage 3rd party remote (Buying a new one today or tomorrow) with a broken B button so that doesn't help at all.

But yeah, 8 kill streak is definitely only once or twice a night for me. I say by the end of most nights my kill:death looks something like 1:1 so I'm not that great yet, but I've hardly been playing a week so I do good enough.

But yeah, a quick glimpse at scores makes it clear right away if its legit or not. 4+ people with 8 kill streaks tends to stick out like a sore thumb.

keyboard
12-07-2009, 06:09 PM
I've given up on my kill:death ratio, I just work on my score. Domination with P90 supressed, marathon, and cold blooded. Money.

eff1ngham
12-08-2009, 12:25 PM

There's an unlimited care package glitch that should be fixed soon. I think the PSN has already fixed the javelin glitch and the geometry glitches (getting into the rocks on afghan, etc). XBL needs to get on that shit

Dubz
12-08-2009, 08:36 PM
There's an unlimited care package glitch that should be fixed soon. I think the PSN has already fixed the javelin glitch and the geometry glitches (getting into the rocks on afghan, etc). XBL needs to get on that shit

Are you talking about the one where you float?

eff1ngham
12-08-2009, 10:23 PM
There's a couple. Some of them involve using painkiller to get to spots you shouldn't be able to (like the radiation on wasteland or afghan), and there's some geometry glitches too like being able to get into parts of the map where you shouldn't be able to (like getting under the map in COD5)

Kyle
12-09-2009, 12:10 PM
I got Dragon Age: Origins comming in from Gamefly now. Should be one of my favorite games in years. Then I'll swap it for Assassin's Creed 2, which should also be fantastic. Nice to look forward to good games for a change.

phaneuf6
12-09-2009, 02:08 PM
I got Dragon Age: Origins comming in from Gamefly now. Should be one of my favorite games in years. Then I'll swap it for Assassin's Creed 2, which should also be fantastic. Nice to look forward to good games for a change.

AC2 is amazing. I beat the story the other day but there's still just so much to do. I think I might trade it back in while the value is high, I just want to do a few more things in it. Only at about 70% completion and I've done a ton.

Kyle
12-09-2009, 02:39 PM
Also, Fable 2 is a gigantic dissapointment. Overall not anymore enjoyable to play from start to finish than Fable 1. This franchise has(had?) a lot of potential and its a shame that Lionhead hasn't come anywhere near the hype they created before Fable 1.

The game lacks any sort of challenge at all. If you're good with gold you have more than you can spend halfway through the game and then you're done with progression. Replacing armor from Fable 1 with clothing that doesn't affect the damage you take was a ridiculously dumb decision. You'll basically upgrade your melee/ranged weapon 3-4 times in the first half of the game and then have no other form of item progression throughout the game which makes the second half extremely boring. The point of RPGs is to be constantly progressing. Armor at least gave you one more area to strive for upgrades.

The new magic system stinks and you need to charge for way too long to use the strongest spells. Not attatching any number to the damage you do is dissapointing and takes away from the fun of using special attacks and upgrading your strength (Its nice seeing your hits go from 200 to 230 damage like in Fable 1).

All the social crap the game has tried to sell since Fable 1 is just as shallow and predictable. Dance, do victory armpumps, do some flirty expressions, hand over a diamond or some random gift, give an engagement ring, then you have a wife sitting in some random house you bought. This is roughly a 2-3 minute process and there is no variety whatsoever in that routine.

Slaughtering towns is as boring as Fable 1, if not even more boring. Guards are weak jokes and you will never fight more than three at a time. Why would they not let you fight dozens?

And the main storyline is ridiculously shallow and ridiculously short. The game doesn't end with any serious fight (The end of Fable 1 was a total warzone followed by an awesome boss fight). No boss or anything. It just sort of ends with a lame 3-way decision that rewards you with garbage all 3 ways.

Done with this rant. It just pisses me off that a game so fun to play with so many great, innovative ideas, just can't seem to mesh together well enough to live up to its hype. I would give Fable 1 a 9/10 because it was insanely addicting despite how short it was, and it was so innovative. But now this genre is flooded and the countless technical issues (Way more than in Fable 1) combined with dragging in almost all of Fable 1's problems makes this a 7/10 for me. Amazing that theres so little to do in a world so massive.

Kyle
12-14-2009, 10:31 PM
So I just got the red rings last night. My XBox has been working since. Lets pick:

A) Fucks up in 1 day
B) Fucks up in 1 week
C) Fucks up in 2 weeks
D) Fucks up in a month
E) Fucks up within the year.

I have my vote on B. Fuck Microsoft.

pjm
12-14-2009, 11:04 PM
Countdown has started my man. Put in the repair claim right now, get the coffin on its way.

I'd say you've got < 3 days to go here, thats about how long mine lasted.

keyboard
12-15-2009, 12:24 AM
They sent me a refurbished one once mine got the rings. And they sent it to me in under a week. I was quite pleased, all things considered.

Dubz
12-15-2009, 12:42 AM
They sent me a refurbished one once mine got the rings. And they sent it to me in under a week. I was quite pleased, all things considered.

Me too....I also had the "old" version and they sent me the new hdmi and a free month of live within a week or so.

b_illin
12-15-2009, 11:01 AM
I think I had it happen once as I remember freaking out, but unplugged and turned it on again and it's been fine....and that was back in the Summer

Kyle
12-15-2009, 12:39 PM
Yeah. See I know what did it. In Fable 2, you make money for every 5 minutes of real time you play the game (If you rent out houses/own shops). So I left my XBox on no less than 30 hours one time to get more gold than I could possibly imagine spending. That was about a week ago, and I know thats what did it.

So, now I'm just not leaving it on for 2+ hours anymore, always directing a fan at it, and I'm just not letting it get very hot anymore. So we'll see how long it lasts like that, its been great for 2 days *shrug.*

keyboard
12-15-2009, 01:38 PM
NHL 2010 sucks.

nyrblue2
12-15-2009, 03:52 PM
NHL 2010 sucks.
NHL 10 (EA Sports) or NHL2K10?

I have NHL 10 and think it's pretty sweet. Granted, I probably would have been impressed with just about anything considering the last one I played regularly was NHL '99. If you have NHL 10, what are your issues with it?

Kyle
12-15-2009, 03:59 PM
He has EA. 90% of the gaming populace knows to refer to the sega sports games as 2k.

I'm interested in his beefs also.

I've been playing lots of NHL 2007 lately since it was just 2.99. It was the first to implement the skill stick and I've been having a blast playing it. As far as I know, it got rave reviews too. So 3 years later I'd only expect it to have gotten better. Or did they take some backwards steps between then and now, sort of like QB vision?

pjm
12-15-2009, 04:20 PM
So I was playing MW2 last night and experienced the strangest glitch i've ever seen. You pull out your grenade launcher attachment and hold down the trigger and it will just launch a steady stream of grenades (at at pretty high rate of fire, too. no reloading). With everyone in the game doing this it was fucking nuts. I ended up getting an airdrop and inside the box was an AC10 (the one where you bomb the map from the plane). Well, i went to the largest gun in the plane and tried holding down the trigger. Lo and behold, rapid fire from that plane with the largest gun. One guy went 72 - 1... i went like 30 - 5 because of that plane.

When we finished the map my buddy and I stayed and loaded into the next map just to see if it was still happening. Loaded into Quarry and, of course, got killed by a grenade launcher from across the map almost immediately. We went into a different game session to see if it was happening and nope, just a normal game. It was just in that one game session. Wtf?

keyboard
12-15-2009, 04:23 PM
I have NHL 10 and think it's pretty sweet. Granted, I probably would have been impressed with just about anything considering the last one I played regularly was NHL '99. If you have NHL 10, what are your issues with it?

I'm interested in his beefs also.

Or did they take some backwards steps between then and now, sort of like QB vision?I've played practically every modern day NHL game made, from NHL Hitz to the 2K series to everything released by EA since NHLPA 93 with the wraparound glitch. I would consider NHL 09 one of the best games ever made in terms of fluidity and control. There were a lot of problems with it, but in terms of being able to play a game and capitalize on chances, this was the best.

NHL 10 (on its default settings) has gotten rid of a lot of the fluidity with a passing system that I still haven't completely figured out. Offensive zone pressure has become a bit of a joke with one timers from the point not working because players swing at passes that don't come near them, or when they do connect, being deflected about 2 times, then being batted out of the air with the goalie flailing about. The game has taken rare instances in actual hockey games and bastardized them (the leg raise fake on a wrist shot, for instance) making the whole thing kind of stupid.

I will say that the fighting is awesome, and the post whistle exchanges, while rough around the corners, are a step in the right direction. I'm also not completely sold on the idea of "board play". It makes sense in terms of realism, but its more of an auto-stick to the boards than actual "play".

The game still has some of the carry over issues from 09. The biggest for me is a players almost complete inability to control a bouncing dumped in puck while skating back into their end (so on defense you're fucked), the AI's need to be too aggressive on the powerplay (taking penalties for hooking/high sticking), and the hitting pretty much being an all or nothing proposition. You're either standing the guy up/hip checking him into oblivion, or bouncing off him as he skates by you with a thank you.

I would suggest everyone try NHL 09 before moving on to 2010.

phaneuf6
12-15-2009, 04:24 PM
MW2 is such a piss off. I'm more of a run-n-gun type player and the fact that camping is the only way to keep a respectable KD and actually get some kills in this game is just irritating. I can play maybe 4-5 rounds consecutively and then I need a FIFA10 break.

EDIT: pjm, I was in an unlimited ammo glitched game today.. kinda funny cause I don't think people realized until late in the game. I just kept tossing nades and then running out and pretty much had a constant spray going.

dw13
12-15-2009, 04:34 PM
MW2 is such a piss off. I'm more of a run-n-gun type player and the fact that camping is the only way to keep a respectable KD and actually get some kills in this game is just irritating. I can play maybe 4-5 rounds consecutively and then I need a FIFA10 break.

EDIT: pjm, I was in an unlimited ammo glitched game today.. kinda funny cause I don't think people realized until late in the game. I just kept tossing nades and then running out and pretty much had a constant spray going.

FIFA10 club-matches are so sick. I need my xbox back, stop talking about Fifa.

Kyle
12-15-2009, 04:45 PM
MW2 is such a piss off. I'm more of a run-n-gun type player and the fact that camping is the only way to keep a respectable KD and actually get some kills in this game is just irritating.

This just isn't true. I'm the exact same as you. Was a godly Halo player back in my day and I was the master of just ignoring teamwork and running around randomly destroying people. I play MW2 the same way and I've been doing great lately (I've been getting 1.5:1 KD ratios pretty consistently, random 30-5 games, occasional negative games, etc.). But it started off really bad for me, too.

Most importantly is you have to learn the maps. I was frustrated just like you because I spent entire games running around and seemingly dying instantly every spawn because I'd immediately sprint to the action and get fucked. But now that I know maps, I know exactly what hot spots to look for as I round corners and enter doorways and this has turned lots of deaths into lots of kills for me.

You also need to be using the right setup. Assuming you don't play hardcore (Meaning you have a map), silencer is an absolute necessity. A run and gun player without a silencer is a whole bunch of free kills for the other team.

And unless your shot is just amazing, I'd suggest red dot also (Use bling). Red dot is the easiest way to aim quickly and as a run and gun aiming quickly is most important. If you're just amazingly accurate you can replace bling with slight of hand which is truly the best perk for our type of player. Aiming and reloading faster is amazing. But my problem is, I just don't shoot well without red dot, so for me using Bling to get silencer and red dot is way more useful.

And make sure you're using stopping power if you're not playing hardcore.

You can definitely do good in MW2 without camping. Yes you can't just run a marathon and expect to get lots of kills but no game is really like that. You can run and gun plenty and as long as you aim well, use the right setup and guns, and know the maps properly, you will do fine.

eff1ngham
12-15-2009, 05:02 PM
So I was playing MW2 last night and experienced the strangest glitch i've ever seen.

It's a hack, and if you let it infect your box then you can host a game with unlimited ammo, which is why some games have it and some don't. You do it the same way you set up a private match that lets you gain multiplayer experience (not sure if it works the same way on PSN as it does on XBL)

pjm
12-15-2009, 05:18 PM
It's a hack, and if you let it infect your box then you can host a game with unlimited ammo, which is why some games have it and some don't. You do it the same way you set up a private match that lets you gain multiplayer experience (not sure if it works the same way on PSN as it does on XBL)

Wow... people have way too much time on their hands.

gagne21
12-15-2009, 05:36 PM
This just isn't true. I'm the exact same as you. Was a godly Halo player back in my day and I was the master of just ignoring teamwork and running around randomly destroying people. I play MW2 the same way and I've been doing great lately (I've been getting 1.5:1 KD ratios pretty consistently, random 30-5 games, occasional negative games, etc.). But it started off really bad for me, too.

Most importantly is you have to learn the maps. I was frustrated just like you because I spent entire games running around and seemingly dying instantly every spawn because I'd immediately sprint to the action and get fucked. But now that I know maps, I know exactly what hot spots to look for as I round corners and enter doorways and this has turned lots of deaths into lots of kills for me.

You also need to be using the right setup. Assuming you don't play hardcore (Meaning you have a map), silencer is an absolute necessity. A run and gun player without a silencer is a whole bunch of free kills for the other team.

And unless your shot is just amazing, I'd suggest red dot also (Use bling). Red dot is the easiest way to aim quickly and as a run and gun aiming quickly is most important. If you're just amazingly accurate you can replace bling with slight of hand which is truly the best perk for our type of player. Aiming and reloading faster is amazing. But my problem is, I just don't shoot well without red dot, so for me using Bling to get silencer and red dot is way more useful.

And make sure you're using stopping power if you're not playing hardcore.

You can definitely do good in MW2 without camping. Yes you can't just run a marathon and expect to get lots of kills but no game is really like that. You can run and gun plenty and as long as you aim well, use the right setup and guns, and know the maps properly, you will do fine.

I found this interesting, thanks. I'm pretty much the same as you (played Halo way more than COD) so I naturally just run and gun. I'll try this out.

keyboard
12-15-2009, 05:40 PM
You also need to be using the right setup. Assuming you don't play hardcore (Meaning you have a map), silencer is an absolute necessity.

You can run and gun plenty and as long as you aim well, use the right setup and guns, and know the maps properly, you will do fine.Yes, exactly. However, I prefer using Marathon and Cold Blooded along with the silencer. You never show up on radar and you're always on the move. If you use the P90, you can easily gun people down on the run or knife from behind. The only real adjustment is shooting from the hip, because looking down your sight slows you down and wastes time.

I think the strategy games are much better than Team Deathmatch. Plus, kill:death ratios are overrated. You won't remember or care about them in 2 months. Most fun I have is running with friends in Domination from flag to flag gunning people down along the way.

Kyle
12-15-2009, 05:45 PM
Yeah, arguments can be made for those perks also. IMO, those are a bit more advanced. I think for players trying to get good, they'll have the easiest time with Stopping Power/Bling (Or slight of hand).

I do agree that at a certain point in skill, your best bet easily is to become invisible on radars and go with Cold Blooded/Silencer/Ninja/Marathon. Marathon espicially is a very skill based perk because you're replacing two extremely helpful killing tools in Bling and Slight of Hand. It basically comes down to, if you're good enough to get those kills without that red dot or without the quicker aim/reload, then go with Marathon.

eff1ngham
12-15-2009, 05:45 PM
MW2 is such a piss off.

MW2 is a giant piece of garbage. It's such a shame that Infinity Ward just mailed the game in and left so many bugs, glitches and cheats available, and just half-assed so many other parts of the game. COD4 was fantastic, even from day one it was a tight game with only minor bugs. Even COD5 was better than MW2. It's a shame because they had so many improvements to the multiplayer system, but it's impossible to look past the flaws.

If you're a single player, or maybe play in a group of two or three it's not as bad. But I play MW2 with groups of 6-8, never by myself. And they've completely ruined the team games for larger groups. It all started with their absolutely ridiculous decision to not allow party chat in matches. I could care less about all the crybaby hardcore S&D players who have their awesome hiding spots compromised, if they were that worried about it then why not just disallow party chat in hardcore game modes. I don't like being forced to use game chat every time I want to play something other than ground war :rolleyes:

The other problems is how they now migrate parties into different lobbies, but they do a terrible job of it. In COD4 or 5, if you had a full group of six people you could start a lobby and wait for other players to join, or if there was room in an existing lobby you would join that. Now, if you start a lobby and they don't place another party in it, you get "migrated" to a new lobby, which if there's not room for everyone in your party, some of them will get dropped and put into a different game. And now with all the people starting glitched private matches, you get dropped into those as well. I can't believe how badly they fucked the game up from previous versions. You can no longer just have single players or groups of players join into your lobby if other ones leave after a game, you get moved into a new lobby and have some of your party dropped. I can't believe they didn't do a beta to avoid just this sort of thing. We've had nights where we try to play ground war with a party of 7 or 8, and we'll go 15+ attempts of trying to start a game where someone gets dropped and put into a different game :no: It's basically made the game unplayable at times. I have a hard time believing that with millions of people playing the game that they can't just find six players to put into a lobby to play.

Plus there's all the stupid perks they've added:

The unfairly overpowered akimbo 1887s which 95% of people now use.

The tactical nuke. Yes it's fun to nuke the other team, but now every single game you play there's some dbag loner on your team who completely ignores the objectives and just tries to go 25-0 so he can get his globalthurmonuclearwar title.

Marathon/Lightweight/Commando perk set for guys who just run around the map doing nothing but knifing people from 20 feet away.

The heartbeat sensor and the people who are so bad at the game that they just sit in corners looking at it to get kills.

It's all a shame because the game is fun to play when it actually works and lets you play against other teams. And it's not bad to play when the other team isn't just six dudes all running around with lightweight akimbo 1887s. I'm sure they'll eventually fix all the shit that's broken, just like they did in COD4 and COD5, but it's painfully obvious that they just didn't put much effort into this game. Just look at how long it took them to fix the javelin and carepackage glitches.......

eff1ngham
12-15-2009, 05:47 PM
Most fun I have is running with friends in Domination from flag to flag gunning people down along the way.

Domination has been my favorite gametype since COD4. Though demolition is fast becoming my new favorite, though it's definitely a lot tougher on some maps than others

keyboard
12-15-2009, 05:56 PM
MW2 is a giant piece of garbage. It's such a shame that Infinity Ward just mailed the game in and left so many bugs, glitches and cheats available, and just half-assed so many other parts of the game. It's true.

Even COD5 was better than MW2. It's a shame because they had so many improvements to the multiplayer system, but it's impossible to look past the flaws.I have to disagree there. That game was so, so bad. "They've released the dogs!" Fuck.

It all started with their absolutely ridiculous decision to not allow party chat in matches.

The other problems is how they now migrate parties into different lobbies, but they do a terrible job of it. We've had nights where we try to play ground war with a party of 7 or 8, and we'll go 15+ attempts of trying to start a game where someone gets dropped and put into a different game :no: It's basically made the game unplayable at times.It's true. The whole invite engine is pretty awful. Especially with the server issues that keep happening.

The unfairly overpowered akimbo 1887s which 95% of people now use.Mmhmm.

The tactical nuke. Yes it's fun to nuke the other team, but now every single game you play there's some dbag loner on your team who completely ignores the objectives and just tries to go 25-0 so he can get his globalthurmonuclearwar title.Which makes no sense for any game outside of Team Deathmatch (and even there it's stupid). My team has triple the points of the other team but we lost because some guy with 30 kills just nuked the game? Why the fuck are you playing strategy games if you aren't doing any of the objective? And why would they allow someone with idiotic interests at heart to end the game? Fucked.

Marathon/Lightweight/Commando perk set for guys who just run around the map doing nothing but knifing people from 20 feet away.That gets really frustrating. Unless you have a solid amount of distance and no obstacles in the way, these guys come out of nowhere. It's the worst on small levels.

Good write up.

Domination has been my favorite gametype since COD4. Though demolition is fast becoming my new favorite, though it's definitely a lot tougher on some maps than othersLet me know if you need another wingman. I always have the most points collected in every match.

Kyle
12-15-2009, 06:31 PM
Good writeup, Effing! I'm very casual about MW2 so I can ignore the shortcommings and just have a good time anyway but I agree with every single point.

nyrblue2
12-15-2009, 06:51 PM
I've played practically every modern day NHL game made, from NHL Hitz to the 2K series to everything released by EA since NHLPA 93 with the wraparound glitch. I would consider NHL 09 one of the best games ever made in terms of fluidity and control. There were a lot of problems with it, but in terms of being able to play a game and capitalize on chances, this was the best.

NHL 10 (on its default settings) has gotten rid of a lot of the fluidity with a passing system that I still haven't completely figured out. Offensive zone pressure has become a bit of a joke with one timers from the point not working because players swing at passes that don't come near them, or when they do connect, being deflected about 2 times, then being batted out of the air with the goalie flailing about. The game has taken rare instances in actual hockey games and bastardized them (the leg raise fake on a wrist shot, for instance) making the whole thing kind of stupid.

I will say that the fighting is awesome, and the post whistle exchanges, while rough around the corners, are a step in the right direction. I'm also not completely sold on the idea of "board play". It makes sense in terms of realism, but its more of an auto-stick to the boards than actual "play".

The game still has some of the carry over issues from 09. The biggest for me is a players almost complete inability to control a bouncing dumped in puck while skating back into their end (so on defense you're fucked), the AI's need to be too aggressive on the powerplay (taking penalties for hooking/high sticking), and the hitting pretty much being an all or nothing proposition. You're either standing the guy up/hip checking him into oblivion, or bouncing off him as he skates by you with a thank you.

I would suggest everyone try NHL 09 before moving on to 2010.
Yea, I pretty much agree with you on most of those points, but as I said, this is a world away from NHL '99, so I'm easily impressed.

I haven't had any real issues with the pucks being dumped behind a defender, as long as you aren't sprinting at the puck. If you slow down a bit and ward off the forechecker, you usually get it. As for the one-timers, I haven't had many swings an misses, but my biggest gripe with the game involves one-timers and trying to shoot loose pucks. Since the controls for shooting and hitting are identical, more often than not, if you try to get a loose puck and shoot it right away, you'll hit the joystick a split second too early, hit someone and get called for interference. They should have different controls for them, or add a different control for "loose puck shooting".

I have had some major issues with the line change "engine" which I think is a general glitch. Sometimes when I tell my guy to go for a line change, he won't do it, even if he's dead tired. Other times (I play on position lock mode), the guy I'm controlling will change, but the guy who jumps on the ice for him is under AI instead of my control, so I have to wait for a whistle before I get to control someone. The most annoying one is when a guy goes for a line change, but instead of a normal change, the guy leaving the ice and the guy coming on the ice just play musical chairs, jumping on and off the ice right at the bench without joining the play, until the next whistle/faceoff. This essentially leaves your team shorthanded for the time being.

But overall, I've been hooked. I'm going to finish up my first Be A Pro season tonight. My team (drafted by the Blues) didn't make the playoffs, but I still had a killer year and expect to win the Calder, Norris and possibly more. I played the season on All-star (3rd difficulty out of 4) as an offensive defenseman and I was kind of in a catch 22. Me and team would score tons of goals, but we would also give up tons of goals. I'm going to finish the season around 100 points (in like 60 NHL games after playing in the AHL for a while), but with a +/- around -15. Seems way too easy to get the points, so I would move up to Superstar, but since my team still can't win and I was a minus player anyway, I would get dominated at that difficulty.

keyboard
12-15-2009, 06:56 PM
But overall, I've been hooked.If you want to play online, let me know. I'm always down for a best of 7 series.

mrtybrodur30
12-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Tar-21(or any rifle) Silenced
Tactical Insertion
Smoke
Scavenger pro
Cold-blooded pro
Ninja pro

Pavelow-Chopper Gunner-Nuke =Devastation

If your a run and gun player you should be using Cold Blooded and Ninja to not worry about radar and enemy support/heartbeat sensors. Personally I just sprint to the other side killing a couple of guys along the way put tac insertion hidden on the enemy side and go from there. You can still run and gun you just need to know when.

As for the game I think COD5 had alot more glitch type problems( not Infinity Ward I know) than this game does the problems i have experienced were fixed pretty shortly. I play on PS3 though not 360.

Also yes the matchmaking and migrating games is BS and very poorly done.

b_illin
12-15-2009, 07:21 PM
Wow, you guys play a lot of vids!! (by the look of it)

phaneuf6
12-15-2009, 07:59 PM

I don't think thats it.. I think when you're shelling out $70 a game, you want to get your money's worth and you have the right to be disappointed or upset if it doesn't meet your standards.

Also, a lot of the glitches/cheats/flaws are pretty obvious ones once you play for a few hours.

Kyle
12-15-2009, 08:42 PM

I think its more the fact that a lot of us probably don't really discuss games outside this thread at all so we tend to get in depth about it.

Dubz
12-15-2009, 09:00 PM
We have been playing Hardcore SD. Pretty insane game...but you dont get 30 kills. I have to disagree about the chat in this particular game because it would ruin it if your dead teammate told you where the guys are. The lobby thing is pretty bad....I leave my "team" and play by myself for a few games out of frustration. Im hoping they are just doing ALOT of patching or something and most of the problems will be minimized sooner than later.

Great points tho eff...I think im gonna try those guns sometime.

I use bling silenced fjm, cold blooded, ninja and claymores of course:cool:

keyboard
12-15-2009, 09:02 PM
I don't think thats it.. I think when you're shelling out $70 a game, you want to get your money's worth and you have the right to be disappointed or upset if it doesn't meet your standards. I've been paying $34 or something a month for that Blockbuster gamer pass promotion. Not sure if it's a good investment or not.

phaneuf6
12-15-2009, 09:05 PM
I've been paying $34 or something a month for that Blockbuster gamer pass promotion. Not sure if it's a good investment or not.

Whats that involve?

Kyle
12-15-2009, 09:16 PM
I've been paying $34 or something a month for that Blockbuster gamer pass promotion. Not sure if it's a good investment or not.

Its not. For 35.99 a month at gamefly, you could have four games out at a time. Way bigger selection.

keyboard
12-15-2009, 09:18 PM
Its not. For 35.99 a month at gamefly, you could have four games out at a time. Way bigger selection.Not available to Canadians. Best thing for Canada is http://gameaccess.ca/Game-Rental.htm.

Kyle
12-15-2009, 09:56 PM
Ah sorry to hear. Afraid I can't comment on that site, don't know its credentials at all.

eff1ngham
12-16-2009, 10:14 AM
Do they have Goozex in Canada? Depending on your gaming habits it might be worth looking into. It's a game trading site between users, the games are worth points, the more popular the game, the higher it's point value. The only thing you pay for is shipping.

I have to disagree there. That game was so, so bad. "They've released the dogs!" Fuck.

Haha, yeah actually you're right. Jesus that was a bad game.

Let me know if you need another wingman. I always have the most points collected in every match.

For sure. I'm putting MW2 on the shelf for a while until the infinite ammo and private match glitches are fixed. It's nearly impossible now to find a decent match (seriously, on monday is was like 1 out of every 4 matches was a glitched game). But once it's back to normal, or as normal as it gets, I'll hit you up

keyboard
12-16-2009, 10:56 PM
I know it's the wrong console, but I've been playing the beta for Battlefield Bad Company II on PS3 and must say it's a fantastic and fun game.
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWw4nYvw2Ro&feature=related)

Dubz
12-16-2009, 11:51 PM
These damn glitch things with the weapons do suck...im sure theyll be fixed asap tho. I seen a guy with 5 claymores last night? wtf. no wonder they dont get killed they are surrounded with bombs and sit with a sniper and shotgun.

keyboard
12-16-2009, 11:53 PM
These damn glitch things with the weapons do suck...im sure theyll be fixed asap tho. I seen a guy with 5 claymores last night? wtf. no wonder they dont get killed they are surrounded with bombs and sit with a sniper and shotgun.Well, that might be with the Scavenger perk. They plant claymores, kill guys, reload ammo/claymores, and plant more.

Kyle
12-17-2009, 12:03 AM
So Dragon Age: Origins is fucking SICK. Its not void of flaws but holy shit is it a breathtaking and just fantastic RPG. Bioware truly are kings of the genre.

eff1ngham
12-17-2009, 09:24 AM
Well, that might be with the Scavenger perk. They plant claymores, kill guys, reload ammo/claymores, and plant more.

Very true. Or One Man Army. You can put down claymores, use one man army to switch to the same class, and put down two more. Then if any of them blow up, use one man army to switch back to the same class and put down more. Rinse and repeat

Dubz
12-17-2009, 06:08 PM
Well, that might be with the Scavenger perk. They plant claymores, kill guys, reload ammo/claymores, and plant more.

Very true. Or One Man Army. You can put down claymores, use one man army to switch to the same class, and put down two more. Then if any of them blow up, use one man army to switch back to the same class and put down more. Rinse and repeat

You guys rule...I have to try this. Im a HUGE claymore fan;) Sounds a little tricky but Im gonna try a few times. One man army is tough to unlock isnt it?

eff1ngham
12-17-2009, 08:00 PM
Yeah, it's the last of the perks for slot one. It unlocks around level 45 or 47. It takes a lot of kills to get OMA pro, but the only advantage pro has is that it switches classes faster (about as fast as reloading a gun). But it's a great perk, if nothing else you can put a grenade launcher on your gun, fire off two grenades, OMA switch to the exact same class and get two more grenades. Cheap and easy

Dubz
12-17-2009, 09:35 PM
Yeah, it's the last of the perks for slot one. It unlocks around level 45 or 47. It takes a lot of kills to get OMA pro, but the only advantage pro has is that it switches classes faster (about as fast as reloading a gun). But it's a great perk, if nothing else you can put a grenade launcher on your gun, fire off two grenades, OMA switch to the exact same class and get two more grenades. Cheap and easy

You could also use a thumper and toss out 8 grenades?:eek:

mrtybrodur30
12-17-2009, 10:40 PM
You could also use a thumper and toss out 8 grenades?:eek:No you cant cause the Thumper is a secondary weapon. If you use One many Army it will take up your perk 1 slot and also your secondary weapon slot for the gear bag. But like was mentioned earlier while cheap you can keep getting the 40mm rifle grenades and keep spawning claymores ,you can have only 2 out at one time though.

Dubz
12-17-2009, 10:52 PM
No you cant cause the Thumper is a secondary weapon. If you use One many Army it will take up your perk 1 slot and also your secondary weapon slot for the gear bag. But like was mentioned earlier while cheap you can keep getting the 40mm rifle grenades and keep spawning claymores ,you can have only 2 out at one time though.

Oh I see, its actually your secondary weapon slot filled with OMA, thats the perk. Im off tomorrow so ill give it a try. Thanks

mrtybrodur30
12-17-2009, 11:22 PM
Oh I see, its actually your secondary weapon slot filled with OMA, thats the perk. Im off tomorrow so ill give it a try. ThanksOn highrise if you start on the opposite side of the big roof and get on it its so easy to get a nuke by raining grenade launchers on the team below using one man army. Also with tac. insertion to stay up there.

pjm
12-18-2009, 05:39 AM
On highrise if you start on the opposite side of the big roof and get on it its so easy to get a nuke by raining grenade launchers on the team below using one man army. Also with tac. insertion to stay up there.

You are probably one of those guys i end up cursing to my TV about, hahaha:lol:

I like using a P90, akimbo rangers (haven't unlocked those incredibly cheap 1887s yet) with the perks: marathon, lightweight, and commando. Run and gun to the max, baby. My kill/death is garbage but i end up with the most points most of the time, especially on domination.

mrtybrodur30
12-18-2009, 02:23 PM
You are probably one of those guys i end up cursing to my TV about, hahaha:lol:

I like using a P90, akimbo rangers (haven't unlocked those incredibly cheap 1887s yet) with the perks: marathon, lightweight, and commando. Run and gun to the max, baby. My kill/death is garbage but i end up with the most points most of the time, especially on domination.lol I usually dont go up there at all, I will support my team if they try to get up there. Everyone uses those 1887's in Domination and Demolition its insane.

nyrblue2
12-22-2009, 10:33 PM
I had been playing NHL10 in SD using the Xbox-provided composite cable, since I didn't have an HDMI cable. I got one today and switched to HD, but the camera angles are all different. Not only does the camera seem higher and "steeper", but it follows my player around instead of the puck.

Why/how would just changing the video cable cause all of these visual setting changes? I'm about to go back to SD because I can't stand this and can't figure out a way to make it look like before...

MrScientist
12-22-2009, 10:44 PM
Weird thing on NHL10: I was playing and got a 5 minute power play, scored three goals on it. My stats said I was 3/4 on the PP...I would expect it to just be 1/1?

nyrblue2
12-22-2009, 11:36 PM
Damn...apparently I had my Xbox display settings as "Normal" instead of "Widescreen", so I think it basically chopped off the sides of whatever would be displayed. However, in order to fill my widescreen TV, it stretched it out. So I think technically the camera angles are the same, but I was just seeing a stretched out version of the middle of the screen.

It's like learning to play all over again with the different (apparent) view...

boredguy
12-23-2009, 12:40 AM
Weird thing on NHL10: I was playing and got a 5 minute power play, scored three goals on it. My stats said I was 3/4 on the PP...I would expect it to just be 1/1?

A major penalty is only considered one penalty but each PPG is counted separately so you can go 2/1, 3/1, etc. on the penalty. Not sure where the 4 came from unless you had power plays other than that one.

boredguy
12-23-2009, 12:44 AM
Damn...apparently I had my Xbox display settings as "Normal" instead of "Widescreen", so I think it basically chopped off the sides of whatever would be displayed. However, in order to fill my widescreen TV, it stretched it out. So I think technically the camera angles are the same, but I was just seeing a stretched out version of the middle of the screen.

It's like learning to play all over again with the different (apparent) view...

Weird, i can always tell when things are stretched since everything looks fat. It could've also zoomed the image, in which case the top and bottom of the picture would get cut off. It should look so much better using the hdmi cable compared to composite. Composite is only 480i and usually looks like shit on a hdtv.

MrScientist
12-23-2009, 02:06 AM
A major penalty is only considered one penalty but each PPG is counted separately so you can go 2/1, 3/1, etc. on the penalty. Not sure where the 4 came from unless you had power plays other than that one.

Nope

nyrblue2
12-23-2009, 08:28 AM
Weird, i can always tell when things are stretched since everything looks fat. It could've also zoomed the image, in which case the top and bottom of the picture would get cut off. It should look so much better using the hdmi cable compared to composite. Composite is only 480i and usually looks like shit on a hdtv.
Well since I had just gotten Xbox and hadn't played an NHL game in many years, I just accepted it as the normal look/feel. Didn't have anything or any past experience to compare it to.

I know that compared to HDMI, composite is crap, so I'll get used to it eventually. I didn't want to shell out for the HDMI cable, but found out last night tht my cable company provides them to HD customers. I had thought they only had component cables.

keyboard
12-23-2009, 12:48 PM
I know that compared to HDMI, composite is crap, so I'll get used to it eventually. I didn't want to shell out for the HDMI cable, but found out last night tht my cable company provides them to HD customers. I had thought they only had component cables.They are really cheap now. Most places are giving them away with television purchases.

MrScientist
12-24-2009, 04:20 PM
Pretty cool happenings today. LA offered me Ersberg and a 5th for Cote and a 4th during the draft, so I took it. Then during free agent signing, San Jose offered a first and second round pick for Ersberg and a 4th :)

Ends up being

I give: Cote, '10 4th round pick, '11 4th round pick

I got: '11 1st round pick, '11 second round pick

I like supply and demand :cool:

nyrblue2
12-24-2009, 08:59 PM
My best trade in Be A GM mode so far was getting Jokinen for Brind'Amour and Ivan Vishnevsky. They really needed young defensemen apparently.

boredguy
12-24-2009, 09:18 PM
You can rape the comp in GM mode, there's a ton of no name free agents that are young and have decent potential. You can sign'em cheap and they have a ton of trade value. Can basically trade for a team of all-stars that way.

keyboard
12-25-2009, 11:57 PM
We should do an online dynasty league thing. I don't actually know if you can do that, would be okay with simulated seasons.

b_illin
01-01-2010, 03:35 PM
In GTA 4 I am at the point where I do the deal with Dimitri or I revenge kill him. I have read the outcomes for either choice and I am wondering if I can do both. Is it possible to save the game at the point where I choose, then do the mission one way and save as a separate game, then go back to the saved game where I choose and then do the other way?

dw13
01-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Any FIFA 10'ers?