PDA

View Full Version : Offical MMA Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9

Hockeyis#1
12-21-2009, 12:50 PM
Anyone else here think Steve Mazagatti is the worst MMA ref?

two24four
12-21-2009, 12:53 PM

For sure, he has been for awhile, Dana has said himself he does not like him, but he does not get to pick the refs.

dw13
12-21-2009, 12:55 PM

He's bad, but he isn't Yves Lavigne level for me.

Hockeyis#1
12-21-2009, 01:04 PM
Dana.....does not get to pick the refs.
Nor should he have that power, but I agree with him. I've seen quite a few fights were Steve Mazagatti should have stopped it earlier, stood them up, etc. UFC Fight Night 14 stands out, as does the TUF 10 finale with Jones/Hamill

Jake
12-21-2009, 07:36 PM
Henderson v Shields

Hendo signed with Strikeforce as expected and the talks are already involving a fight with Jake Shields

http://www.fightline.com/news/mma/2009/1221/471309/dangerous-dan-henderson/index.shtml

Mazagatti sucks. His stand-up calls are terrible as are his decisions when to end fights

dw13
12-21-2009, 07:37 PM
Shields has very little to offer Hendo. He won't be able to take him down like he could others (although he was surprising against Okami). I expect Hendo to win this on the feet.

Zangetsu
12-21-2009, 09:01 PM
Zang, they announed Diaz vs. Zaromskis, what do you think? Could be an awesome fight, I've only seen Zaromskis at the tournament and one other fight, but hes an interesting fighter no doubt. Looking forward to it?If Diaz continues his recent trend of ignoring his stellar ground game, that fight is very intriguing. Zaromskis is another unorthodox striker, and his recent string of head kick KO's is reminiscent of CroCop's run in Pride. Diaz, though, should be able to close the distance and use his accurate punches to wear Zaromskis down.

Zangetsu
12-21-2009, 09:08 PM
As far as the refs go, Mazzagatti is bad. To be "Mazzagatti'ed" is to be subjected to excess damage due to a referee's decision not to stop a fight.

Lavigne's "stop 'n go" call was really bad. I can't remember which fight it was, but he pulled one fighter off of his downed opponent, only to tell the fighters to continue a few seconds later. The guy who deserved the win wound up winning, but it was one of the worst officiating jobs I've ever seen.

dw13
12-21-2009, 10:12 PM
If Diaz continues his recent trend of ignoring his stellar ground game, that fight is very intriguing. Zaromskis is another unorthodox striker, and his recent string of head kick KO's is reminiscent of CroCop's run in Pride. Diaz, though, should be able to close the distance and use his accurate punches to wear Zaromskis down.

Solid analysis. I like Zaromskis, but the way Diaz has been fighting, along with his versatility he will have an advantage.

Hockeyis#1
12-27-2009, 06:02 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=Av3H12BOhmuuk173lKn7BLU9Eo14?slug=dm-judging122609&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

interesting article on changing the judging system

Zangetsu
12-28-2009, 12:40 AM
I read a similar article a while back. I don't hate the idea of giving half-point rounds. I've always thought we should see more 10-10 and 10-8 rounds, but I can understand why individual judges would be hesitant to initiate a new standard for 10-10/10-8 rounds. There's little precedent for either, so any judge who issued one would immediately become a target for scrutiny.

If the Athletic Commissions give this .5pt system the OK, it would clear the slate, so to speak, allowing judges to use the system as they see fit. There wouldn't be a precedent in place, so nobody will feel like they are overstepping their bounds by issuing a 10-9.5 round.

Zangetsu
12-29-2009, 01:37 PM
For those of you with HDNet and a whole lot of time on your hands Thursday morning, K-1, Dream, and Sengoku are putting on a nice card for their annual Dynamite New Year's Eve show. It features the likes of Aoki, Mousasi, Overeem, "Mach" Sakurai (vs. the always entertaining Gono), and the finals of the Dream "Super Hulk" tournament (Minowaman vs. Sokoudjou).

The only problem is that the show will be aired live at 3amET on New Year's Eve morning. Needless to say, this will be a show that I'll have to wait to download, but it should be a good one.

Hockeyis#1
12-30-2009, 12:09 AM
I read a similar article a while back. I don't hate the idea of giving half-point rounds. I've always thought we should see more 10-10 and 10-8 rounds, but I can understand why individual judges would be hesitant to initiate a new standard for 10-10/10-8 rounds. There's little precedent for either, so any judge who issued one would immediately become a target for scrutiny.

If the Athletic Commissions give this .5pt system the OK, it would clear the slate, so to speak, allowing judges to use the system as they see fit. There wouldn't be a precedent in place, so nobody will feel like they are overstepping their bounds by issuing a 10-9.5 round.
A 10-8 round DOES essentially fuck 1 fighter though, as he needs to win both rounds to TIE a decision.

While I don't think the half point system is the answer, it's a step in the right direction

dw13
01-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Rashad Evans vs. Thiago Silva
Paul Daley vs. Dustin Hazelett
Joe Lauzon vs. Sam Stout
Duane Ludwig vs. Jim Miller
Junior Dos Santos vs. Gilbert Yvel

Martin Kampmann vs. Jacob Volkmann
Dan Lauzon vs. Cole Miller

two24four
01-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Not the best card tonight that's for sure with all the guys getting hurt. Dana was saying last night on Sportsnet that in 10 years he has not had this many probs putting together one card. He also said Rampage should fight sometime in March, and it may not be Evans he fight's 1st.

Evans over Silva
Hazelett over Daley
Stout over Lauzon

dw13
01-02-2010, 01:00 PM
Not the best card tonight that's for sure with all the guys getting hurt. Dana was saying last night on Sportsnet that in 10 years he has not had this many probs putting together one card. He also said Rampage should fight sometime in March, and it may not be Evans he fight's 1st.

Evans over Silva
Hazelett over Daley
Stout over Lauzon

3 good fights though, Evans/Silva, Hazelett/Daley and JDS/Yvel... I don't see Stout beating Lauzon, but you never know with Sam. Daley's cut was obviously bad, and I've heard its drained him.

If Rashad wins, he'll fight Rampage I'm sure. If he loses.. well he doesn't deserve to fight Rampage.

dw13
01-02-2010, 05:53 PM
http://mmajunkie.com/news/17398/ufc-champ-georges-st-pierre-says-olympics-still-possible-would-vacate-title-to-pursue.mma

two24four
01-02-2010, 06:37 PM
Canada is behind GSP in what ever he does.

keyboard
01-02-2010, 10:50 PM
http://fightblog.eu/ufc108-fu.jpg

chadw01
01-02-2010, 11:43 PM
They should have made all the fights of UFC 108 free on SpikeTV, instead of just the prelims..

Zangetsu
01-03-2010, 03:37 AM
Anybody else catch Aoki snapping the Sengoku champ's arm? I hate the guy, and his antics after this fight only make me hate him more, but this is one nasty sub. (Skip to about 2:15 if you don't want to watch Aoki work his takedown and gain position. Sub happens at about 2:30.)

YouTube- MMA Central - Shinya Aoki vs Mizuto Hirota Fields Dynamite 2009 K-1 Saitama Japan

Underwhelming card for UFC 108. I almost always order the PPV events, but I'm glad I watched this one over Sopcast.

dw13
01-03-2010, 09:35 AM
Yeah.. Aoki went a big nutty.. I don't blame him for snapping it considering he wouldn't tap.. but the middle finger in his face and to the crowd was a bit much

two24four
01-03-2010, 11:57 AM
Looks like we will finally see Evans vs Rampage in March.

Nice win for Stout last night.

dw13
01-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Looks like we will finally see Evans vs Rampage in March.

May. In your home country!

Chilly_Willy
01-03-2010, 05:21 PM
http://fightblog.eu/ufc108-fu.jpg

LOL let's not forget Rashad Evans vs.Rampage Jackson. Although that fight card never officially changed it was assumed before 108 was planned that rampage would fight

I am glad Rampage will be back I don't feel like the show ever finished.

chadw01
01-04-2010, 12:30 AM
BA Baracus vs Evans.. should be fun.

My money is on Rampage.

Hockeyis#1
01-04-2010, 11:45 AM
While the card in terms of drawing power was underwhelming, I actually thought it turned out well. A lot of good fights IMO.

Zangetsu
01-11-2010, 12:09 AM
Jamie Varner is a douchebag. Glad he lost, but I would've loved to see Cerrone get another shot at him.

Good to see Brown and Faber get back on track. That Shalorus/Jensen match was ugly. Shalorus could be dangerous if he ever develops a stand-up game, though.

dw13
01-11-2010, 09:49 AM
Jamie Varner is a douchebag. Glad he lost, but I would've loved to see Cerrone get another shot at him.

Good to see Brown and Faber get back on track. That Shalorus/Jensen match was ugly. Shalorus could be dangerous if he ever develops a stand-up game, though.

Varner is one of the biggest d-bags, no doubt.

Chilly_Willy
01-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Can't wait to see Faber vs. Aldo
http://www.mmaunltd.com/news/details.asp/id/1209/faber-vs-aldo-for-wec-featherweight-title-on-ppv.htm

I missed the Mike Brown fight but it looks like he won

Raphael Assuncao looked impressive but couldn't contend with Faber's speed. Maybe we see Brown vs. Assuncao at some point in the future.

dw13
01-11-2010, 02:40 PM
I think Aldo will take care of Faber. Faber's speed really won't do much for Aldo. If he can get him to the ground we can see his ground skills, but if Brown couldn't keep Aldo down, I'm not sure Faber will either. Aldo has a huge advantage on the feet.

Chilly_Willy
01-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Aldo is an amazing amazing fighter. Faber will be his biggest WEC challenge but I give the edge to Aldo strongly I think Faber is too wreckless, Aldo is so precise kinda like a smaller spider silva and I think he can capitolize on some of Faber's openings like Brown did in Faber Brown I. However I route for Faber.

Zangetsu
01-11-2010, 05:05 PM
The only area where Faber might have an advantage against Aldo is his wrestling, but Aldo showed some amazing takedown defense against Brown. Besides, Aldo's never really had to show his ground game off, but people who train with him claim that his BJJ is his true strength.

I hope it doesn't wind up on PPV, because I don't think WEC has enough marquee talent to convince anybody but hardcore fans to buy, but when the fight does happen, I see an early KO for Aldo.

Chilly_Willy
01-11-2010, 08:06 PM
has WEC ever had a PPV before? I think it would be a mistake but they are in the ballpark if they keep drawing talent. Their light weight divisions are pretty deep but I don't know that light weight is a big draw.

Zangetsu
01-11-2010, 08:58 PM
I'm 99% sure this would be their first, and I think it would be a mistake. The WEC is the premiere MMA organization for featherweight and bantamweight competition, but their lightweight division is just a minor league for the UFC. That being said, even if they put together a card with both the FW/BW championships on the line, a Faber vs. Aldo & Bowles (or Cruz, I think he's got a shot) vs. Torres card still wouldn't have much mainstream appeal.

I know I've said this before, but I really don't understand why the WEC is even still around. Zuffa owns both WEC and UFC, and a UFC with seven (or eight if they ever get the Flyweight division up to speed) weight classes would seem to be a simpler and more successful way to run an MMA organization. Besides, with a couple of the lackluster cards that the UFC has put together recently, having a couple more championships to insert as headliners would seem like an improvement.

Hockeyis#1
01-12-2010, 10:41 AM
I'm sure others watched Fight Night last night. I thought it was a good card with some great fights. Can't believe Aaron Simpson pulled that decision out. Thought he got 10-8'd in the 1st for sure.

dw13
01-12-2010, 11:04 AM
I didn't like it much. Thought that Maynard and Diaz both proved what I already though, neither are ready for much, and Maynard is definitely not worthy of a title shot. I didn't think it was going to be split though, thought Maynard won the first 2 rounds pretty easily.

Simpson's decision was interesting, thought it could of gone either way.

Dunham was the fighter of the night though. Awesome display of ground game and skills to beat Efrain.

Zangetsu
01-12-2010, 02:26 PM
Dunham did look good, and his win once again proves that TUF winners just aren't at the same level as they used to be. Although, I was impressed with Amir. His kickboxing has really improved, and it was already decent when he was on TUF.

I had the Simpson/Lawlor fight 28-28. I can't believe all three judges scored the first round 10-9. Simpson got rocked at least three times.

Nate Diaz is a joke. His ground game is solid, but he doesn't have nearly the quality of boxing that his brother does. Maynard had a terrible night, but it was mostly because the talk coming from the Diaz camp coerced him into a brawl. That being said, Maynard is definitely not ready for a title shot.

Hockeyis#1
01-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Maynard is definitely not ready for a title shot.
They have to feed SOMEONE new to BJ. It's basically him or Frankie Edgar, who Maynard holds a win over. At this point, I see no other logical title matchup

dw13
01-12-2010, 04:05 PM
They have to feed SOMEONE new to BJ. It's basically him or Frankie Edgar, who Maynard holds a win over. At this point, I see no other logical title matchup

Sad, isn't it? Make Maynard and Edgar fight. It already sounded like Maynard didn't want a piece of BJ just yet, so then it'd be Edgar. Either way, neither of them pose any sort of threat to BJ.

HT9
01-13-2010, 05:20 AM
Have any of you guys attended a major MMA event ?

two24four
01-13-2010, 12:05 PM
Have any of you guys attended a major MMA event ?

No, but I know people who have, and they have said it's way better on TV.

snoopzen
01-13-2010, 04:12 PM
No, but I know people who have, and they have said it's way better on TV.I can imagine that it would be hard to just see what the hell is going on, what with the ground game and the cage and all.

dw13
01-13-2010, 04:34 PM
I've heard the Weighin's are much better. Can meet some fighters, etc.

two24four
01-13-2010, 05:57 PM
I can imagine that it would be hard to just see what the hell is going on, what with the ground game and the cage and all.

Yeah that and people always standing up in front of you, the camera guy's standing up on the ring etc....I'm guessing if your seats are far away it just makes things even worse.

Hockeyis#1
01-13-2010, 11:04 PM
I can imagine that it would be hard to just see what the hell is going on, what with the ground game and the cage and all.
Aren't there big monitors over the cage so when something like that happens, you can see? I'd think watching it from one of the arena seats would be fine

Sad, isn't it? Make Maynard and Edgar fight. It already sounded like Maynard didn't want a piece of BJ just yet, so then it'd be Edgar. Either way, neither of them pose any sort of threat to BJ.
Maynard already beat Edgar.
Zuffa needs to go poach some of Dream's LW division.

dw13
01-13-2010, 11:41 PM
Maynard already beat Edgar.
Zuffa needs to go poach some of Dream's LW division.

Edgar is getting the fight.

I'd love to see BJ smash Aoki into next year. Alvarez might be a somewhat decent fight, but neither Aoki, GZ, Alvarez or Kawajiri would beat BJ.

Zangetsu
01-14-2010, 12:43 AM
Edgar is getting the fight.

I'd love to see BJ smash Aoki into next year. Alvarez might be a somewhat decent fight, but neither Aoki, GZ, Alvarez or Kawajiri would beat BJ.Forgot how fun it is to watch this video, and it's even more satisfying to watch considering Aoki's recent performance.

YouTube- Dream 8: Shinya Aoki vs. Hayato Sakurai - www.fcperu.com

Honestly, I don't think anybody at 155 can provide a challenge for BJ right now. Alvarez might be able to stand with him for a while, and Aoki could catch him in something if he could get BJ to the ground, but neither guy would last more than a round or two.

dw13
01-14-2010, 09:57 AM
Completely agree Zang.

two24four
01-19-2010, 02:31 PM
Talk that the UFC may move the May 1st date in Montreal back if Floyd Mayweather vs Shane Mosley takes place on May 1st, Dana does not want to go head to head with them, but they dont know yet, so it's not for sure.

mrtybrodur30
01-20-2010, 11:00 AM
Lesnar about to have his press conference on ESPN.

Good news for Lesnar he sounds pretty lucky. Probably will be fighting in July against Mir or Carwin or maybe as early as June if Mir or Carwin get injured then they will let the winner of Nog and Velasquez face Lesnar. Also pretty funny when he said he wanted to get out of Canada's healthcare system and go back to the U.S. lol

two24four
01-20-2010, 01:09 PM
Not a fan of him, but glad he's back.

I hope it's Mir he fight's next, come on Mir beat Carwin so we can see you beat Lesner again.

b_illin
01-20-2010, 01:59 PM
UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar called his recovery from a colon illness a “miracle” on Wednesday.
Announcing that he plans to resume his fighting career this summer, the former professional wrestler thanked just about everyone for supporting him. One notable exception was the Canadian medical staff who first treated him after his collapse.
It was Lesnar’s first televised interview (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4842056%20) since mysteriously vanishing from public view in mid-November. At the time, Ultimate Fighting Championship boss Dana White hinted cryptically that Lesnar’s life and career were in jeopardy. Later, he said that Lesnar had had surgery. That wasn’t true.
Wednesday, Lesnar told ESPN that his doctors informed him in October that his recurring stomach pain was due to mononucleosis.
“That didn’t sound right to me,” Lesnar said.
Nevertheless, he cancelled his upcoming title fight and headed off to western Canada on a hunting trip.
“I got up there and still didn’t feel right. I had severe stomach pain. And one night I woke up and I was in severe shock,” Lesnar said. “I had 104 (F) temperature and felt like I was shot in the guts. I went to the hospital in Canada, realized quickly that I had to get out of Canadian health care and get down to Bismarck (North Dakota), into the United States.”
Apparently, the irony of rushing back to the place where he’d first been misdiagnosed was lost on the 265 lb. wrestler.
However, this time, he said they got it right – telling him he had a ruptured diverticuli.
“I had a hole in my stomach,” Lesnar said.
He told ESPN that it was touch-and-go for weeks as to whether he would need to have a portion or all of his colon removed, ending his athletic career. He says his 11-day stay in hospital cost him 40 lbs. of body weight.
Then, in the new year, a “miracle.”
“(The doctors) were dumbfounded,” Lesnar said. “They couldn’t find any signs of any trouble with my stomach.
“I’ve had three or four different opinions. I’ve had colonoscopies (sic) done and CT scans done. There’s literally no sign of anything even existing in there,” Lesnar said. “I believe that the mind is a powerful thing.”
His boss, White, echoed the miracle theme. He said that the current plan is to have heavyweight contenders Shane Carwin and Frank Mir fight in March for an interim heavyweight champion designation. The winner will fight Lesnar in “the summer,” according to White.
“It’s been a crazy ride,” White said.

Go fuck yourself Chump!

b_illin
01-20-2010, 05:40 PM
UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar announced his "miracle" recovery from a career-threatening digestive disease Wednesday while slamming the health care he received in Canada after falling sick during a hunting trip.
Lesnar said his U.S. doctors were "dumbfounded" at his success in beating diverticulosis and avoiding major surgery to remove part of his colon.
"They couldn't find any signs of any problem in my stomach. It's just a miracle," the mixed martial arts star said Wednesday on ESPN's SportsCenter in his first interview since falling ill.
UFC president Dana White said Lesnar, who has not fought since July, will be back in action this summer against the winner of the UFC 111 bout in March between Frank Mir and Shane Carwin.
The six-foot-four Lesnar, who has to cut weight to make the UFC heavyweight limit of 265 pounds, said he had been ailing for some time last year, before falling seriously ill during a trip to Canada. What had started as flu-like symptoms was upgraded to mononucleosis and then diverticulosis.
Asked about the low point during the last few months of his illness, Lesnar said: "Probably the lowest moment was getting care from Canada."
"They couldn't do nothing for me," he noted in a later media conference call Wednesday. "It was like I was in a Third World country."
"I'm just stating the facts here and that's the facts," he continued. "I love Canada. I own property in Canada but if I had to choose between getting care in Canada or the United States, I definitely want to be in the United States. Canadians, don't get me wrong here. Listen I love Canada, some of the best people and best hunting in the world. I have family up there. But I wasn't at the right facility. And it makes sense for me to say that."
Lesnar, who makes his home in Minnesota, refused to say where he was treated in Canada although he talked of his wife driving him "in excruciating pain" to the border.
"I knew that I had to get out of there. And my wife saved my life. She got me out of there and drove 100 miles an hour to get me down to Bismarck, North Dakota, to Medcenter One (hospital) and got me with Dr. (Brent) Buderer and his staff, and that doctor there saved my career and saved my life."
At hospital in Bismarck, Lesnar said he was immediately diagnosed with a severe case of diverticulosis. "I had a hole in my stomach."
Doctors put him on antibiotics and pain medication, while suggesting surgery was likely the final option. Lesnar spent the next 11 days there. "No food, no water, fed intravenously. Lost 40 pounds."
He underwent a small procedure, having a six-inch needle inserted into his stomach to drain three pockets and withdraw 14 cubic centimetres of fluid.
The next morning, he decided to go home, with his doctor saying he wanted him back in three months for surgery once some swelling had subsided. The next week he visited the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., for a second opinion. Doctors there also recommended surgery.
"I didn't want to (have surgery), if I could beat the odds, I was going to do everything in my power to do that," said Lesnar, adding he would probably have had to retire if the surgery was unavoidable.
He went home, hit the gym, put some 30 pounds back on and returned to the doctor Jan. 5. Tests gave him a clean bill of health.
"Basically the doctor said you've got a lottery ticket, this is unbelievable. We can't believe you didn't need surgery," said White.
Lesnar said a "total protein" diet with not enough fibre contributed to his health problems.
"I'm a carnivore, I'm not a big an of PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals). I'm a member of the NRA (National Rifle Association) and whatever I kill, I eat. Basically I was for years surviving on meat and potatoes. When the greens came by, I just kept passing them."
He said he revamped his diet, prayed a lot and used some "natural healing medicine."

Lesnar recalled the night in Canada when he believes the perforation in his stomach happened.
"I woke up in shock, in cold sweat. I mean it was big time," he said. "Didn't know where I was and realized I had to seek medical help."
He said he was two and a half to three hours "from what I thought would be a good medical facility."
But he refused to say where, saying: "I'm not going to disclose anything."
"The only reason I'm mentioning this is I'm mentioning this to the United States of America because President Obama is pushing this health-care reform. And obviously I don't want it. I'm a conservative Republican . . . I'm speaking on behalf of Americans, I'm speaking on behalf of our doctors in the United States that don't want this to happen and neither do I."
"The main thing is I'm sitting here, I'm healthy, and I got the right care that I needed," he added. "I think it was just under the circumstance the hospital that I was at, it wasn't their fault. They had some machinery that wasn't working that couldn't do its job. And I needed to have it done. So we went to where we could have it done."
Lesnar backtracked slightly later in the call, saying as an American he just wanted to be treated at home.
"I'm not bashing the Canadian health care, I'm not bashing it at all. I'm a U.S. citizen,. It just so happens I was in Canada. If I would have been in Thailand or Puerto Rico, I would want to get back to the United States, in my homeland, to get my health care."
Lesnar, a former NCAA wrestling champion and pro wrestling star, has not fought since defeating former champion Mir at UFC 100. He said he fell ill during preparations to defend his title against the unbeaten Carwin on Nov. 21 at UFC 106 in Las Vegas.
"I was just feeling sick, for the longest time throughout my training camp preparing for Carwin," he told ESPN. "My camp wasn't going well. I missed almost three weeks of training camp. . . I kept going to the doctor, couldn't find out what the problem was."
Finally he decided to pull the plug on the fight.

The seriousness of Lesnar's medical condition was revealed by White after UFC 105 on Nov. 14 in Manchester, England. White said Lesnar had collapsed while on holiday in Canada.

Lesnar (4-1) is one of mixed martial arts' biggest draws, a raw but impressive talent in the cage who cares little what others think about him.

White said if the Mir-Carwin winner gets injured, Lesnar could meet either Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira or Cain Velasquez, who face off next month at UFC 110 in Australia.
"I'm getting ready for anybody and everybody," Lesnar said.
Lesnar said he was as low as 248 pounds but now weighs 273 pounds and is looking forward to defending his title.
"Let's be clear with that. I still am the UFC heavyweight champion," Lesnar told ESPN.

Dude, if you are at a hunting camp in Canada chances are it's a super remote...aka a sparsely populated area. What does he expect in the form of healthcare in a remote part of the country? What a fucking douche.

Hockeyis#1
01-20-2010, 08:27 PM
Dude, if you are at a hunting camp in Canada chances are it's a super remote...aka a sparsely populated area. What does he expect in the form of healthcare in a remote part of the country? What a fucking douche.
Man's a fighter, not a NASA engineer

mrtybrodur30
01-21-2010, 04:02 AM
I never want to see Mir fight Lesnar again simply because it would piss Mir off. Mir is probably the biggest shit talker/ cry baby in MMA. I cant believe I actually wanted him to win at UFC 100. Hopefully Mir gets stopped by Carwin

Hockeyis#1
01-21-2010, 11:58 AM
Biggest shit talker...Mir? Idk about that.

mrtybrodur30
01-21-2010, 12:51 PM
Biggest shit talker...Mir? Idk about that.There are a few who could get that title but Mir is one and can hold his own. He talked tons of shit about Lesnar before the first fight and then a TON more before the second. He gets so upset in interviews about Nog saying he had staph when he fought Mir. He thinks hes the only guy in the world that can beat Lesnar again. Not to mention his interviews about Fedor. He sounded like a complete dumbass saying he hopes Lesnar gets better so he can break his arm etc etc and make him never be the same bullshit etc etc. Its funny as hell how obsessed he is with Lesnar.

two24four
01-21-2010, 01:41 PM
Talk that the UFC may move the May 1st date in Montreal back if Floyd Mayweather vs Shane Mosley takes place on May 1st, Dana does not want to go head to head with them, but they dont know yet, so it's not for sure.

It's now been moved back to May 8th.

Chilly_Willy
01-21-2010, 01:46 PM
I am happy lesnar is back I really enjoy watching him fight and I was looking forward to the lineup of contendors Dana is cooking up for him. But more so just as a person I am happy he is ok. Funny about how the statements got so political lol. I am not sure he or anyone really knows where that pain came and went though, that is worrysum.

keyboard
01-21-2010, 10:09 PM
I never want to see Mir fight Lesnar again simply because it would piss Mir off. Mir is probably the biggest shit talker/ cry baby in MMA. I cant believe I actually wanted him to win at UFC 100. Hopefully Mir gets stopped by CarwinThe way Sanchez talked about Penn was pretty hard to listen to.

Hockeyis#1
01-21-2010, 11:52 PM
I'm sure when the hype for Hardy/GSP starts, that will be unbearable as well

b_illin
01-22-2010, 01:32 PM
http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/754360--the-real-reason-brock-lesnar-hates-canada

Two months ago, Brock Lesnar was at death’s door.
The biggest meal ticket in mixed martial arts’ movable feast of flesh was incognito, first in Canada, then in his home state of North Dakota. No one could reach him. His only link to those starving for news was MMA impresario Dana White, issuing cryptic communiques that did little other than beg further questions. Convenient, that.
And so went the script from there, continuing this week with Lesnar assuring one and all on a conference call that he had survived the wilds of Canada, our “Third World” health-care system and “socialism” (his words, not mine) and a stomach ailment, to return to e-generation’s favourite bloodsport any day now. And he did it all naturally, of course, being a far more advanced specimen than your average barroom bouncer.
As Johnny Rotten once said, did you ever get the feeling you’ve been cheated?
The rise-fall-rise of Lesnar is being pitched as a sports comeback story, and it certainly is that – from what and to what is the question. What it looks like for now is a shrewdly orchestrated attempt to build a brand – Brock Lesnar, stalwart real-American maverick — in time-honoured fashion, whether you’re Don Draper or George Lucas. It’s about simultaneously reinforcing Lesnar’s red-meat credentials among his red-state home constituency, while turning him into a villain in another foreign territory — double your treasure, double your money.
After all, MMA is just a few months away from its first card at B.C. Place Stadium in Vancouver. Some day soon, a bigger payday is assured when the walls come down here in Ontario and the GTA hosts.
And what will sell tickets better than Lesnar, disser of one of this country’s most cherished institutions – sure it’s maligned, sure it’s troubled, but we’re the only ones allowed to go there, bullethead – entering the ring to boos and tomatoes against whatever brave Canadian fodder that can be prodded out there to spill blood in the name of Manitoba health?
Over to you, George St. Pierre – a nation turns its lonely eyes to you, to rip into America’s gun culture, obesity, the Jonas Brothers, take your pick.
Lucas the filmmaker did something of this in assembling his Luke Skywalker character, the foundation of the Star Wars trilogy, using Joseph Campbell’s template of the classic mythical hero. An element accepted and revered in pro sports, too, is that every team, every athlete, every superhero demands a foil to make them great. The more points of contention between them, the greater depth of the rivalry: You say Canadiens, I say Leafs; you say Yankees, I say Red Sox; you say Borg, I say McEnroe. The labels pile up, the styles collide and sharpen, meetings crackle with something extra, the hype machine is revved a little louder, and the stage is set for something beyond mere athletes against athletes.
But this isn’t hockey, or baseball, or even movie/myth-making. It’s this ultimate cage fighting. It has no tradition, and although it pulls in huge television numbers and packs arenas, it hasn’t shown any ability to break out of its own private octagon and attract those who turn away, unable to stomach the mayhem.
Perhaps, generations from now, when Lesnar really is six feet under, grandchildren will be regaled with the story of Brave Brock’s Lazarus act, his political epiphany, his return and redemption – perhaps even his comeuppance, if the script allows it. Lesnar will be Luke Skywalker, and Dana White a canny new-millennium Draper.
But that would be giving them too much credit. For now, and for later, this hoary trick looks pulled straight from the files of Vince McMahon.

two24four
01-22-2010, 02:41 PM
^ I was thinking someting kind of like that as well, it all does seems kind of weird.

Anderson Silva's camp is saying they would still be willing to have a super fight with GSP sometime after UFC 112, thing is though, GSP has said many times that if this fight was to happen he would need about a year to get ready for it.

dw13
01-22-2010, 02:49 PM
^ I was thinking someting kind of like that as well, it all does seems kind of weird.

Anderson Silva's camp is saying they would still be willing to have a super fight with GSP sometime after UFC 112, thing is though, GSP has said many times that if this fight was to happen he would need about a year to get ready for it.

I could see Silva fighting Mir before I see him fighting GSP. I don't believe GSP and Silva will ever fight.

two24four
01-22-2010, 02:54 PM
I could see Silva fighting Mir before I see him fighting GSP. I don't believe GSP and Silva will ever fight.

Silva would be giving up alot of size in that fight.

dw13
01-22-2010, 03:20 PM
Silva would be giving up alot of size in that fight.

Size isn't really a part of Silva's game. His manager also has said he will fight wherever the biggest fight is. I don't see GSP/Silva happening, so after Nate and Vitor, I could see Silva putting on some pounds and fighting a HW.

Hockeyis#1
01-22-2010, 04:36 PM
http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/754360--the-real-reason-brock-lesnar-hates-canada
:rolleyes:
looks like somebody was out of material for their column.....

Zangetsu
01-22-2010, 05:19 PM
While I enjoy Brock bashing as much as the next guy, this whole thing is really being blown out of proportion. Brock's a moron, and morons say stupid things. People who take morons seriously are as much to blame as morons themselves.

And I don't know what to think about the whole WWE conspiracy theory. Would Brock sacrifice his multi-million dollar payday to help Dana White promote a fight? I don't think so, but I can see why some people might be suspicious.

If GSP-Silva was going to happen, I think it would've happened already. I know Joe Rogan isn't Joe Silva, but Rogan had to have had the permission to ask GSP about a match with Silva after the Alves fight, meaning the UFC brass had probably been talking to GSP about the match, and he was obviously hesitant to accept.

Zangetsu
01-22-2010, 05:25 PM
In non-UFC MMA news, Bobby Lashley finally has an opponent for next Saturday's Strikeforce show.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/17654/bobby-lashely-vs-ufc-vet-wes-sims-finally-set-for-strikeforce-miami.mma

He'll take on Wes Sims, who will have a considerable size advantage. Sims is 6'10", and Lashley is 6'3". While Sims is not a contender by any stretch of the imagination, this fight will be a step up from Lashley's previous opponents.

dw13
01-22-2010, 05:39 PM
If GSP-Silva was going to happen, I think it would've happened already. I know Joe Rogan isn't Joe Silva, but Rogan had to have had the permission to ask GSP about a match with Silva after the Alves fight, meaning the UFC brass had probably been talking to GSP about the match, and he was obviously hesitant to accept.

Right on. You see it the same way I do, and I think it's pretty clear.

b_illin
01-22-2010, 07:57 PM
I thought GSP was not fighting anymore so he could focus on the Olympics?

two24four
01-22-2010, 08:08 PM
I thought GSP was not fighting anymore so he could focus on the Olympics?

He's not for sure going through with that yet, he's still thinking about it, he also has a fight with Hardy coming up March 27th at UFC 111.

snoopzen
01-23-2010, 08:16 AM
He's not for sure going through with that yet, he's still thinking about it, he also has a fight with Hardy coming up March 27th at UFC 111.I've talked with a number of friends who are high school wrestling coaches, and they don't think that GSP would have a snowball's chance of hell of making the Canadian national wrestling team.

Being considered one of the top wrestlers in the UFC is a FAR cry from being considered world-class against actual wrestlers.

two24four
01-23-2010, 12:19 PM
I've talked with a number of friends who are high school wrestling coaches, and they don't think that GSP would have a snowball's chance of hell of making the Canadian national wrestling team.

Being considered one of the top wrestlers in the UFC is a FAR cry from being considered world-class against actual wrestlers.

I think that's why if he does do it he would take the next few years off from the UFC to train for it.

Anyways GSP was on The Score last night and said people have gone alittle nuts with what he said about wanting to be on the Canadian Olympic wrestling team, he said as much as he wants to do it, right now he's not even close to being 100% into it, he said he will make his mind up sometime this summer, he also said something about he does not know if his wrist's can handle it.

two24four
01-27-2010, 01:13 PM
UFC is going to have it's 1st out door card in Abu Dhabi April 10th.

dw13
01-31-2010, 12:03 AM
SF puts on another solid show.

Zangetsu
01-31-2010, 12:28 AM
Yup.

Diaz = Accurate

Cyborg = Terrifying

Walker = Impressive

Lawler = Brawler (Manhoef should stick to K-1, little gloves and Manhoef don't mix)

Lashley = HUGE

Hockeyis#1
01-31-2010, 04:52 AM
Yup.

Diaz = Accurate

Cyborg = Terrifying

Walker = Impressive

Lawler = Brawler (Manhoef should stick to K-1, little gloves and Manhoef don't mix)

Lashley = HUGE
Meh, I was really hoping that Herschel Walker would get his ass kicked. :rolleyes:

Zangetsu
01-31-2010, 09:17 AM
The guy was fighting for charity. He's an American sports hero.

Hockeyis#1
02-01-2010, 01:20 AM
The guy was fighting for charity. He's an American sports hero.
Neither give him the right to act like a complete douchebag the entire way. Calling out the cast of TUF10 and Dana and just disrespecting a lot of people IMO. I'd like to see him be given a big name for his next fight.

Zangetsu
02-01-2010, 07:55 AM
I didn't hear about any of that, but let's be honest. The cast of TUF 10 was a joke.

Hockeyis#1
02-01-2010, 05:09 PM
I didn't hear about any of that, but let's be honest. The cast of TUF 10 was a joke.
YouTube- Herschel Walker's New Line Of Work

Zangetsu
02-01-2010, 05:29 PM
That's it? I didn't hear anything in that interview that is any more inflammatory than what is generally said in the run-up to any fight. He just defended himself against Dana's criticisms. He comes off as cocky, but I've seen him in other venues, and his arrogance seems more like misunderstood naivete to me.

I stand by what I said earlier. I'm happy for Herschel. While he may not be the brightest guy in the world, he's worked his ass off to get to where he is, and he has as strong a will to succeed as anybody I've ever seen.

dw13
02-01-2010, 05:59 PM
TUF 10 deserves to be ripped, although he didn't rip on it.

Either way, you have to appreciate the way Walker went about his business. He has respect for the sport. I'm fine with him doing what he wants to do as long as he carries that respect.

Hockeyis#1
02-04-2010, 05:29 AM
Either way, you have to appreciate the way Walker went about his business. He has respect for the sport. I'm fine with him doing what he wants to do as long as he carries that respect.
I really don't see any respect there, he seems to have the attitude that being an MMA fighter is going to be easy for him because he's Herschel fucking Walker. When you're BJ Penn, you've earned the right to be cocky, when you've never had a professional fight before, you're just an asshole

dw13
02-04-2010, 09:45 AM
I really don't see any respect there, he seems to have the attitude that being an MMA fighter is going to be easy for him because he's Herschel fucking Walker. When you're BJ Penn, you've earned the right to be cocky, when you've never had a professional fight before, you're just an asshole

Did you actually listen to his interview in the cage after this fight? He said he would let AKA and his training partners decide if he will fight again. He doesn't want to disrespect the sport, but he loves working his ass off and wanting to succeed at what he is trying to do. He has never (as far as I know) made a reference to MMA being easy because of who he is.

Zangetsu
02-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Herschel has also said that he regrets that MMA wasn't around/as accepted back when he started playing football. He's been a martial artist his entire life (I believe he is a fifth degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do), so this isn't something he just decided to do on a whim. I really don't understand all the Herschel hate, H#1.

dw13
02-06-2010, 10:57 PM
Glad to see Maia's standup vastly improved. As long as he keeps improving, he will win alot of fights in the UFC.

Looking forward to Swick/Thiago next.

Edit: Phil Davis is a stud.

2nd Edit: So is Thiago.

Dubz
02-06-2010, 11:35 PM
2nd Edit: So is Thiago.

:beer:

Hockeyis#1
02-07-2010, 04:03 AM
Man, Swick has really gotten beat the last two fights. My stock in him is def being sold off....which is sad because I thought highly of him.....

dw13
02-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Man, Swick has really gotten beat the last two fights. My stock in him is def being sold off....which is sad because I thought highly of him.....

Hardy and Thiago are world class. I thought Swick had a better chance against Hardy, but he looked awful. I think highly of Swick, but he will never be a legit contender.

Zangetsu
02-08-2010, 02:33 AM
Randy bein' Randy. That guy is good.

I've underestimated Sonnen since he's come to the UFC, but if he can fight like he did against Marquardt, he may be the guy to challenge Anderson. I've always thought that putting Silva on his back would be the way to beat him.

Agreed with everybody about Thiago. That guy has a bright future ahead of him. I don't know where Swick goes from here, but he badly needs a win in his next fight.

Melvin Guillard looked awesome. He's always been incredibly athletic and explosive, so if he can improve his mental game, he really could be a contender.

And yeah, Phil Davis was unbelievable. Stann obviously isn't at the top of the division, but he also isn't an easy guy to debut against.

two24four
02-12-2010, 12:23 AM
Vitor Belfort is pulling out of UFC 112 vs Anderson Silva with an injury.

Zangetsu
02-12-2010, 12:53 AM
Here's an article from Sherdog: http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Belfort-Silva-Off-for-UFC-112-22589

That's a major blow to what was supposed to be a huge event. With another title fight already lined up, the card will still be okay if they don't find somebody else for Anderson to fight, but by the time that event comes around, it will be more than eight months between fights for him. Sonnen was suspended for 30 days following his fight with Marquardt, but would that prevent him from fighting in April?

Jake
02-13-2010, 01:56 AM
Silva vs. Maia... If Silva keeps it on his feet it should be no problem at all... as in a 45 second fight. Maia kept it on his feet in 109, but he wasn't facing anybody near as good of a striker as Sillva.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AqezUgdRhbVZkC73099aaqw9Eo14?slug=ki-maiasilva021210&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Jake
02-13-2010, 01:57 AM
Silva vs. Maia... If Silva keeps it on his feet it should be no problem at all... as in a 45 second fight. Maia kept it on his feet in 109, but he wasn't facing anybody near as good of a striker as Sillva.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AqezUgdRhbVZkC73099aaqw9Eo14?slug=ki-maiasilva021210&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Hockeyis#1
02-13-2010, 10:57 AM

I'm simply hoping this isn't going to turn out like Silva/Leites @ UFC 97

dw13
02-13-2010, 11:17 AM
I'm simply hoping this isn't going to turn out like Silva/Leites @ UFC 97

Maia will try to pull guard, he will not lay on the ground in hopes that Silva jumps on him. If Maia can't get it to the ground, he will get knocked out. He isn't scared of being knocked out. Training with Wanderlei and company, I'm sure he has been put to sleep in training multiple times.

I don't see a way Maia can get him to the ground and get to the top, so maybe he pulls guard and works from there.

Real shame that Vitor pulled out.

Hockeyis#1
02-13-2010, 11:46 AM
I don't see a way Maia can get him to the ground and get to the top, so maybe he pulls guard and works from there.
IMO while BJJ is incredibly useful, it seems like the worst MMA discipline to be solely reliant on, for that reason. And until guys like Maia, Hazlett, Leites, etc learn to become more well rounded with their striking and wrestling, they aren't going to get to that next level and become serious threats in their division.

mrtybrodur30
02-13-2010, 12:05 PM
The only way they can sell this fight is by saying that Maia is not just a BJJ guy hes like the best BJJ guy in the sport which he may be but yeah hes not gonna want any part of standing up with Silva if he wants to win. Maia said hes been working alot on his wrestling too but if he gets him down he is most likely going to endure severe damage just to get Silva down. White should have just resigned Henderson and had that fight. This fight is good for Sonnen though cause I think Maia would sub him again if they fought.

Hockeyis#1
02-13-2010, 02:45 PM
The only way they can sell this fight is by saying that Maia is not just a BJJ guy hes like the best BJJ guy in the sport which he may be but yeah hes not gonna want any part of standing up with Silva if he wants to win. Maia said hes been working alot on his wrestling too but if he gets him down he is most likely going to endure severe damage just to get Silva down. White should have just resigned Henderson and had that fight. This fight is good for Sonnen though cause I think Maia would sub him again if they fought.
Oh, I know that's the only way they can sell this fight. Its still a hard fight to sell, because I don't think anyone outside of Maia's camp thinks he has a chance or in all honesty even thinks he has earned this fight. Remember, fight before last he got dropped in less than 30 seconds....cleanly.

I definitely don't think Maia has any real chance of taking Silva to the mat via takedown. Other, much more talented wrestlers have fought Silva before, none have ever really had success with taking him down. Which is why it'd be worthwhile to have Sonnen fight Silva, because he has some of the best takedowns/wrestling ability of Silva's opponents thus far (sans Hendo) and has the best chance to put Silva on his back which is realistically, the only place someone has a chance of beating him.

dw13
02-13-2010, 02:54 PM
Oh, I know that's the only way they can sell this fight. Its still a hard fight to sell, because I don't think anyone outside of Maia's camp thinks he has a chance or in all honesty even thinks he has earned this fight. Remember, fight before last he got dropped in less than 30 seconds....cleanly.

I definitely don't think Maia has any real chance of taking Silva to the mat via takedown. Other, much more talented wrestlers have fought Silva before, none have ever really had success with taking him down. Which is why it'd be worthwhile to have Sonnen fight Silva, because he has some of the best takedowns/wrestling ability of Silva's opponents thus far (sans Hendo) and has the best chance to put Silva on his back which is realistically, the only place someone has a chance of beating him.

if Sonnen wants to beat Silva he better stay away from these:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=361&pictureid=4322

Nate couldn't do anything, but Silva will put him asleep.

Hockeyis#1
02-18-2010, 01:22 AM
Predicts for UFC 110:
Velazquez over Nogueira
Silva over Bisbing
Joe Daddy over Sotiropoulus
Jardine over Bader
Rothwell over Cro Cop
Reljic over Dollaway
Bonnar over Soszynski
Lytle over Foster

I'm def looking forward to this card. Potential for a great night of fights.

dw13
02-18-2010, 12:16 PM
I got:

Nog over Cain
Silva over Bis
Joe Daddy over George (really pulling for George but Joe Daddy is too good a wrestler)
Bader over Jardine
Cro Cop over Rothwell
CB over Reljic
Sozynski over Bonnar
Foster over Lytle

mrtybrodur30
02-19-2010, 01:55 AM
Nog over Cain
Silva attempted murder over Bisping
Stevenson over Sotiropoulos
Cro-Cop over Perosh
Jardine over Bader
Sozynski over Bonnar
Reljic over Dollaway
Lytle over Foster

Zangetsu
02-19-2010, 02:53 AM
I'll take:
Nog
Silva
Sotiropoulos
Bader
CroCop

dw13
02-19-2010, 09:52 AM
I'll take:
Nog
Silva
Sotiropoulos
Bader
CroCop

Man I hope George wins.

Hockeyis#1
02-19-2010, 03:24 PM
I have to say I'm shocked people are taking Bader and CroCop. I'm also thinking I should switch sides for Nog/Cain and take Nog.

dw13
02-19-2010, 03:30 PM
I have to say I'm shocked people are taking Bader and CroCop. I'm also thinking I should switch sides for Nog/Cain and take Nog.

Big Ben pulled out, by the way. But I had CroCop over him anyways. As for Bader, it's a dominating wrestler. He will have his way with Jardine on the ground when he gets him there.

Hockeyis#1
02-19-2010, 04:01 PM
Big Ben pulled out, by the way. But I had CroCop over him anyways. As for Bader, it's a dominating wrestler. He will have his way with Jardine on the ground when he gets him there.

Did Big Ben JUST pull out, because he was listed on the card on Sherdog yesterday when I posted my predicts??

Jardine's still in Greg Jackson's camp with Rashad Evans, Joe Stevenson, Shane Carwin, GSP, etc. All dominating wrestlers. I expect he'll be well prepared for Bader's wrestling. IIRC he's a brown belt in some branch of jujitsu

dw13
02-19-2010, 04:13 PM
Did Big Ben JUST pull out, because he was listed on the card on Sherdog yesterday when I posted my predicts??

Jardine's still in Greg Jackson's camp with Rashad Evans, Joe Stevenson, Shane Carwin, GSP, etc. All dominating wrestlers. I expect he'll be well prepared for Bader's wrestling. IIRC he's a brown belt in some branch of jujitsu

He pulled out yesterday, I think. Jardine might work with good wrestlers, but that doesn't mean his takedown defense is the best. His unorthodox striking will help him, and if he keeps it standing, he will win. If not, he has no chance on his back.

dw13
02-21-2010, 12:32 AM
Pillow fisted Cain is not so pillow fisted anymore... good lord what a display. For me, the winner of Mir/Carwin has to fight Cain before going for Lesnar. That was an absolute bomb fight by Cain.

Props to George, really was rooting for him and glad to see him show the world his skills.

Wanderlei stole 2 rounds to win the fight, and I was happy to see that.

Bader also looked very good.

Solid fight night.

Zangetsu
02-21-2010, 12:59 AM
Best fight of Cain's career for sure. Depending on when Lesnar comes back, I agree that none of Mir, Carwin, nor Velasquez really deserve the title shot yet.

Who was that guy fighting Bisping? I hadn't seen any pictures of Wand since his surgery, and I hardly recognized him. Was worried that the fight would go to Bisping on the cards, but I had Wand taking 1st and 3rd.

CroCop also had his best fight in a long time. Granted, it wasn't against a top-flight opponent, and Perosh took the fight on short notice, but CroCop's takedown defense was the best he's ever displayed.

Sotiropoulos was awesome. He's so quick and smooth on the ground. Joe "Daddy" is officially a gatekeeper for the LW Division.

I wasn't all that impressed with Bader, but he didn't rely too heavily on his wrestling, so that's a good sign. Jardine is quickly becoming irrelevant in the LHW division. I couldn't help but laugh when Goldberg mentioned that he was one of the best ever during his entrance.

mrtybrodur30
02-21-2010, 02:48 AM
If Dos Santos wins in a couple weeks they should make Dos Santos vs Velasquez.

dw13
02-21-2010, 06:41 PM
Best fight of Cain's career for sure. Depending on when Lesnar comes back, I agree that none of Mir, Carwin, nor Velasquez really deserve the title shot yet.

Who was that guy fighting Bisping? I hadn't seen any pictures of Wand since his surgery, and I hardly recognized him. Was worried that the fight would go to Bisping on the cards, but I had Wand taking 1st and 3rd.

CroCop also had his best fight in a long time. Granted, it wasn't against a top-flight opponent, and Perosh took the fight on short notice, but CroCop's takedown defense was the best he's ever displayed.

Sotiropoulos was awesome. He's so quick and smooth on the ground. Joe "Daddy" is officially a gatekeeper for the LW Division.

I wasn't all that impressed with Bader, but he didn't rely too heavily on his wrestling, so that's a good sign. Jardine is quickly becoming irrelevant in the LHW division. I couldn't help but laugh when Goldberg mentioned that he was one of the best ever during his entrance.

I thought Bader did well enough. He didn't get caught, and that's all he can ask for right now. His stand up is obviously improving, and he has some real explosive takedowns. I hope they don't move him up too fast from this, because as you said, Jardine is on a massive decline.

Sotrio was great man. As you said, Joe Daddy truly is a gatekeeper in a deep LW Division.

If Dos Santos wins in a couple weeks they should make Dos Santos vs Velasquez.

I wouldn't mind seeing that. It'll happen if Mir or Carwin doesn't get too fucked up in their fight.

Hockeyis#1
02-21-2010, 06:50 PM
Best fight of Cain's career for sure. Depending on when Lesnar comes back, I agree that none of Mir, Carwin, nor Velasquez really deserve the title shot yet. This is a problem a lot of divisions have it seems now. Maia doesn't deserve a shot, but someone has to fight Anderson Silva, Edgar doesn't deserve one, but someone has to fight BJ Penn. While I agree none of Mir, Carwin, Velasquez or Dos Santos deserve to challenge for the title yet, someone has to...because I doubt Lesnar is going to be content with just sitting around waiting for a challenger to emerge.

I really didn't think Bisping did anything to deserve winning that fight. He never had an substantial attack going against Wandy and just overall looked very passive IMO...can't believe I picked him to win.

I can't imagine Perosh took that fight on more than 3-5 days notice. Unbelievable IMO. CroCop looked much better, only because he looked so awful against Dos Santos. I'd really have liked to seen how he did against Rothwell...but oh well....

Sotiropoulos was amazing on the ground. I really though Joe Daddy would have a better showing than that, but Sotiropoulos (who def needs a nick name) brought his A++ game that night and it showed. Should his boxing become a threat, he'd atleast be a better challenger to Penn than Edgar IMO

Jardine's 15 minutes of fame seem to be quickly fading after his Iceman KO. His unorthodox striking seems like its getting him into trouble more than it's helping him. I think someone like Ortiz, Griffin, or Thiago Silva would be a good next fight for Bader. I think Jardine needs to fight maybe consider fighting (and obv winning) against some less than elite competition or he's going to be looking for work in Strikeforce or Japan soon.

dw13
02-21-2010, 07:01 PM
Why's it so hard to believe someone took a fight on that short of notice? They always carry a backup fighter, and when Big Ben decided he couldn't do it, he got plugged in. No way he says no, it's a once in a life time chance.

Big Ben and CroCop will fight when Ben is healthy.

As for George, his standup is improving everytmie he takes the ring. He got the better of the striking against Joe Daddy, which is saying something (not that Joe Daddy is a great striker, just that George beat him).

Wandy looked a new dude with all the surgery, and it's been awhile since he fought so he was shaking the cage rust. He's still a fun fighter to watch and will always bring a crowd.

I'm ready for Bones/Vera like you wouldn't believe, by the way.

Zangetsu
02-21-2010, 07:30 PM
Yeah, Bones/Vera should be a great one. I've always been a fan of Vera, and Bones is from my hometown. I don't know who I'm rooting for, but I'm really hoping it turns out to the be FOTY candidate that it has the potential to be.

Hockeyis#1
02-21-2010, 09:23 PM
Why's it so hard to believe someone took a fight on that short of notice? They always carry a backup fighter, and when Big Ben decided he couldn't do it, he got plugged in. No way he says no, it's a once in a life time chance. I imagine there's a big difference in "I can make weight and able to fight if needed" and "I'm prepared and have a gameplan in place to fight ______"

Yeah, no one is going to turn down a PPV fight paycheck, especially when they are mostly an undercard/non televised prelim fighter.

mrtybrodur30
02-23-2010, 09:31 PM
See Mir is one of the biggest shit talkers there is. Flat out saying he hopes he kills Lesnar in the octagon. lol what a complete idiot! The dude is not right in the head. The only person that has him beat is probably Tito.

Hockeyis#1
02-26-2010, 09:33 AM
See Mir is one of the biggest shit talkers there is. Flat out saying he hopes he kills Lesnar in the octagon. lol what a complete idiot! The dude is not right in the head. The only person that has him beat is probably Tito.
Is there a link to this????

Hockeyis#1
02-28-2010, 11:45 PM
Random question since the Olympics just happened, since Judo, Boxing, wrestling, and Taekwando are all Olympic events, will MMA ever be one?

Zangetsu
02-28-2010, 11:49 PM
If it does, it'll have to be all amateurs (or at least non-Zuffa guys; even though Dana has said it'll be an Olympic sport, I highly doubt he lets his guys fight), which means you won't be seeing BJ Penn fighting Shinya Aoki for the Gold medal.

That being said, I wouldn't hate seeing Olympic MMA, but something tells me that the IOC would ruin the sport with their rules. Look at what they've done to boxing.

Zangetsu
03-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Apparently James Toney has signed with the UFC. At 41, he's obviously well past his prime, but he is a former world class boxer. Still, I'm surprised that Dana is on board with this, as it seems like this is more of a sideshow than anything else.

Toney will probably compete at HW, and with the UFC's HW division stacked with wrestlers, who could the UFC give Toney that wouldn't just put him on his back? If Toney could make 205, there may be some more intriguing matchups there, but to me this just seems doomed to be a horrible failure.

dw13
03-04-2010, 11:05 AM
Apparently James Toney has signed with the UFC. At 41, he's obviously well past his prime, but he is a former world class boxer. Still, I'm surprised that Dana is on board with this, as it seems like this is more of a sideshow than anything else.

Toney will probably compete at HW, and with the UFC's HW division stacked with wrestlers, who could the UFC give Toney that wouldn't just put him on his back? If Toney could make 205, there may be some more intriguing matchups there, but to me this just seems doomed to be a horrible failure.

After those two spent time ripping on each other, I was shocked to see he signed with the UFC yesterday. I think Dana might just be setting him up to show him what MMA is all about, and watch him lose. Still, I was a bit shocked yesterday

Zangetsu
03-04-2010, 11:13 AM
It'll be interesting to see if boxing fans will back Toney. I never followed his career all that closely, but wasn't he ostracized by the boxing community after a steroid controversy?

Either way, I wonder how this will play out in mainstream sports media. A lot of the print guys still think MMA is a joke, but they can't possibly think that a washed up boxer will stand a chance fighting MMA fighters at their own game.

dw13
03-04-2010, 11:16 AM
While we're at it.

WEC 47:

Champ Brian Bowles vs. Dominick Cruz (for bantamweight title)
Joseph Benavidez vs. Miguel Torres
Jens Pulver vs. Javier Vazquez
L.C. Davis vs. Deividas Taurosevicius
Karen Darabedyan vs. Bart Palaszewski

Zangetsu
03-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Should be a good show this weekend.

Bowles/Cruz - I've gone back and forth on this one. Could go either way, but I'll be rooting for Cruz.
Benavidez/Torres
Pulver/Vazquez
Davis/Taurosevicius
Darabedyan/Palaszewski

Zangetsu
03-07-2010, 01:52 AM
Glad Cruz won. He looked amazing. Bowles will be back, but Cruz is going to be tough to beat. If he can maintain his pace for five rounds, I don't know if anybody will be able to stand with him.

Can't believe Benavidez took out Torres. I've always been impressed with Benavidez, but I also thought he was too small to win consistently. I guess we'll be seeing a Cruz/Benavidez rematch, right?

You can't help but feel for Pulver. Watching him, you can tell how much he loves to compete, but his body is failing him. He sounded like he was going to retire, and I hope he goes through with it.

dw13
03-07-2010, 10:22 AM
Glad Cruz won. He looked amazing. Bowles will be back, but Cruz is going to be tough to beat. If he can maintain his pace for five rounds, I don't know if anybody will be able to stand with him.

Can't believe Benavidez took out Torres. I've always been impressed with Benavidez, but I also thought he was too small to win consistently. I guess we'll be seeing a Cruz/Benavidez rematch, right?

You can't help but feel for Pulver. Watching him, you can tell how much he loves to compete, but his body is failing him. He sounded like he was going to retire, and I hope he goes through with it.

Pretty wild night.

Cruz has such crisp standup, it looked really good last night.

Torres was just completely worked by Benavidez, surprised the shit out of me too.

Yeah, Pulver just wants to compete but his time is done man. Props to him for giving it his all, and he's a really respectable dude. Done alot for the sport.

two24four
03-09-2010, 01:48 PM
Kimbo is coming to Canada, he's going to fight Matt Mitrione May 8th in Montreal.

Hockeyis#1
03-09-2010, 02:03 PM

Pretty wild night.

Cruz has such crisp standup, it looked really good last night.

Torres was just completely worked by Benavidez, surprised the shit out of me too.

Yeah, Pulver just wants to compete but his time is done man. Props to him for giving it his all, and he's a really respectable dude. Done alot for the sport.
Seems like the WEC is actually a lot deeper than what I'd previously thought. Not just Torres and Faber on their thrones ruling all.

dw13
03-09-2010, 02:04 PM
Seems like the WEC is actually a lot deeper than what I'd previously thought. Not just Torres and Faber on their thrones ruling all.

It's an awesome organization.

Zangetsu
03-09-2010, 02:58 PM
I can't remember the last time I was truly disappointed with a WEC event. I think it's at least partly due to the fact that the lighter weight classes just put on more exciting fights.

BTW, the end of this month is going to be amazing for fans of MMA. We've got UFC on VS on 3/21, Dream 13 early the next morning, a Strikeforce Challengers show on the 26th, UFC 111 on 3/27, Gomi making his UFC debut against Florian on UFC Fight Night on the 31st, and the new season of TUF kicks off the same night.

boredguy
03-09-2010, 04:17 PM
Kimbo is coming to Canada, he's going to fight Matt Mitrione May 8th in Montreal.

:bored:

CayugaPosse
03-09-2010, 10:11 PM
Is there a link to this????

It was on TSN up here, in an interview on the radio in the States, Mir was quoted saying this :

"I want to fight Lesnar. I hate who he is as a person. I want to break his neck in the ring. I want him to be the first fighter that dies because of octagon related injuries. He doesn't like me and I can guarantee, you talk to anyone in my family, it's a legitimate hate. His very being bugs me just because I've seen alot of children out there who look up to athletes and martial artists as a role model, and it just makes me cringe. I sit there and go, 'Man I lost to this guy the second time around and now people think that's the way to be - be big, obnoxious and angry.' That's not right. We have a genuine anger towards each other. Everything I stand for he despises and dislikes, and I can tell you I truly do not like him as a person whatsoever."

dw13
03-09-2010, 11:41 PM
I'll be really pissed if it's true Mir lost his job commentating for WEC because of his actions/comments. For me, he's the best MMA commentator out there. Bonnar was absolutely horrid, and the only real replacement for Mir would be Florian... and I guess Pulver too but I really prefer Mir's commentary.

Zangetsu
03-10-2010, 03:29 AM
Yeah, Bonnar was as bad as I've ever heard.

I hadn't heard anything about Mir being fired, so I just assumed he was busy training for the Carwin fight. If the WEC has really parted ways with Mir, they'd better find somebody to replace him fast. I'm absolutely planning on ordering the Faber/Aldo PPV, but I'd have to think twice about paying to hear Bonnar's pathetic analysis.

TBH, I wasn't a huge fan of Mir's commentary. He seemed to try too hard to explain all the nuance of the sport when just the basics would have been sufficient (seasoned fans know what's going on, and new fans don't need to know why some people call the RNC the "Lion Kill"). That being said, seeing how bad his replacement was, I did miss Mir.

Chilly_Willy
03-12-2010, 09:30 PM
I love WEC fights. Maybe because its the first MMA league I really got into. I mean I understand UFC is the big leagues but I have never walked away from a WEC event without being blown away by someone's fight. I just wish Condit was still there. He doesn't get as much fights in the UFC.

I like Mir too. I could do without Goldberg in UFC and his counterpart in WEC. They just don't seem to really know much more than the common fight fan. I think Mir is good at pointing out the technical side of the sport. I know Mir is known for being a cocky loudmouth but to me that really doesn't come out in his commentating. In fact I think he is one of the better commentaters in all of the sports I like. Pulver is hard to listen to I don't think he gives you the depth and detail that Mir does. Pulver can tell you what's going through their mind but Mir is accurate in the strategy and what they are going for a suprisingly good amount of times.

two24four
03-13-2010, 01:56 PM
Ortiz vs Liddell III is off, sounds like Ortiz left TUF 11 half way into the show, and Franklin was brought in to finish it out.

Chilly_Willy
03-13-2010, 10:04 PM
WTF Ortiz is such a head case. Makes me want to watch the show to see why he left if it was for an even halfway logical reason or something stupid. Will be the second seaosn in a row where the manager situation sucked.

Tough loose for Jardine, he really seems to get knocked out every fight now.

Zangetsu
03-21-2010, 03:52 PM
The NCAA tourney has been making all the sports headlines (for good reason, it's been a great tourney so far), but tonight is a great night for MMA fans, and I'm really excited for this card.

Vera/Jones - Tough call for me, but I think Jones has more ways to win this fight than Vera
Gonzga/Dos Santos
Buentello/Kongo
Sakara/Irvin - Flip a coin on this one. I took Sakara because Irvin looked really bad at the weigh-in
Guida/Gugerty

dw13
03-21-2010, 03:58 PM
The NCAA tourney has been making all the sports headlines (for good reason, it's been a great tourney so far), but tonight is a great night for MMA fans, and I'm really excited for this card.

Vera/Jones - Tough call for me, but I think Jones has more ways to win this fight than Vera
Gonzga/Dos Santos
Buentello/Kongo
Sakara/Irvin - Flip a coin on this one. I took Sakara because Irvin looked really bad at the weigh-in
Guida/Gugerty

Vera/Jones
Gonzaga/JDS
Paul/Kongo
Sakara/Irvin

dw13
03-21-2010, 04:10 PM
PS: I'm a Vera homer.

mrtybrodur30
03-21-2010, 06:24 PM

Gonzga/Dos Santos
Buentello/Kongo
Guida/Gugertyi got all the same picks as you. I also use to really dislike Dos Santos but he has been impressive to watch.

two24four
03-21-2010, 06:43 PM
Jones over Vera
Gonzaga over Dos Santos
Kongo over Buentello
Sakara over Irvin
Guida over Gugerty

Dubz
03-21-2010, 08:12 PM
Wooohooo my favorite type of UFC....free

Ill take Jones

PS Im NOT a Vera homer:lol:

boredguy
03-21-2010, 09:54 PM
Oh man that was a nasty elbow.

two24four
03-21-2010, 11:33 PM
Oh man that was a nasty elbow.

Damn right it was, wow.

Kongo is a beast.

Zangetsu
03-22-2010, 01:32 AM
607!!! Honestly, that wasn't the best Jon Jones we've seen in the Octagon, but elbows like that make up for a lot of mistakes.

If I was Bones coach, I might prefer to get him two more fights, but I have a feeling Joe Silva is going to give him a big name in a #1 contender match. Either way, he's a humble and talented kid, and we're proud he's one of ours.

A big :yes: to the refs tonight. Some people may not like the refs to be as involved as they were tonight, but I think they made a lot of good decisions.

Next up, Dream 13 (actually going on right now, but I need to get some sleep), and Mir/Carwin + GSP/Hardy on Saturday. What a great time to be a fan of this sport!

Dubz
03-22-2010, 01:47 AM
607!!! Honestly, that wasn't the best Jon Jones we've seen in the Octagon, but elbows like that make up for a lot of mistakes.

If I was Bones coach, I might prefer to get him two more fights, but I have a feeling Joe Silva is going to give him a big name in a #1 contender match. Either way, he's a humble and talented kid, and we're proud he's one of ours.

A big :yes: to the refs tonight. Some people may not like the refs to be as involved as they were tonight, but I think they made a lot of good decisions.

Next up, Dream 13 (actually going on right now, but I need to get some sleep), and Mir/Carwin + GSP/Hardy on Saturday. What a great time to be a fan of this sport!

Did you just say humble?:p

As far as the refs go I dont recall anytime ever seeing them so involved. It was a good thing...it showed the value of interest in keeping the fights clean and safe (as possible) I really liked it and am pretty sure its part of the evolution of the sport....kinda like hockey atm

Zangetsu
03-22-2010, 01:56 AM
Hey, when Rod Serling, Mike Dunham, and carousels built by a shoemaker are your hometown's claims to fame, a national spotlight like this is pretty exciting.

Agreed on the refs. In most sports, the refs are doing their jobs when nobody notices them, but in a sport as complicated and potentially dangerous as MMA, the refs need to be as involved with what is going on in the ring as the fighters.

dw13
03-22-2010, 12:01 PM
Bones is as exciting as it gets. I still question the legitimacy of his standup, but at Jackson's camp (even though I can't stand anyone associated with GJ) he will be improving and always have a solid gameplan going in.

I agree Zang, they might pumped him all the way up to a contender fight, but for his sake, I hope he gets atleast another fight before something like that.

JDS is the real deal as well. If we already didn't know that.

Hockeyis#1
03-22-2010, 01:48 PM
Only caught the ME, but wow that elbow was nasty. I'm thinking Vera could be out a while. I'd like to see Jon Jones graduate to a bit better competition like Jardine or Ryan Bader before he goes into the deep end with the Shoguns, Machidas, Rampages and Evans of the world.

dw13
03-22-2010, 01:58 PM
Only caught the ME, but wow that elbow was nasty. I'm thinking Vera could be out a while. I'd like to see Jon Jones graduate to a bit better competition like Jardine or Ryan Bader before he goes into the deep end with the Shoguns, Machidas, Rampages and Evans of the world.

Don't see the UFC pairing him with Bader because of the fact they both are young talents, no reason to punish one of them against each other.

Jardine is irrelevant and wouldn't be a step up, IMO.

Zangetsu
03-22-2010, 03:21 PM
Yeah, Bader makes sense in terms of where Jones/Bader are in the rankings, but as long as there are other options, I don't think it would be smart for the UFC to match up two up-and-coming fighters. While the fight would be great for the fans, it would be best for the UFC if they both kept winning.

What about Jones vs. Thiago Silva? Or if they really want to try to make a payday off of Jones, what about Jones vs. Couture?

dw13
03-22-2010, 04:00 PM
Yeah, Bader makes sense in terms of where Jones/Bader are in the rankings, but as long as there are other options, I don't think it would be smart for the UFC to match up two up-and-coming fighters. While the fight would be great for the fans, it would be best for the UFC if they both kept winning.

What about Jones vs. Thiago Silva? Or if they really want to try to make a payday off of Jones, what about Jones vs. Couture?

I instantly thought Jones/Silva. It makes a ton of sense to me. I also think Jones/Cane could be a feasible matchup, as well. I'd hate to see Jones/Couture, just because of my dislike towards Randy.

Bader vs. Jones will not happen. UFC would love for them both to keep winning, much like Carwin/Cain and keeping those two separated in the HW division.

Chilly_Willy
03-22-2010, 06:20 PM
Those refs were awesome. I would like to see more officiating like that the fights were hard to ref but they never lost control of the match and they made good decisions.

Those were some strange fights a lot of stuff you just don't see every night in one program. Great entertaining free fight for all.

mrtybrodur30
03-22-2010, 07:38 PM
I want to see Dos Santos against Velasquez with Dos Santos just wrecking Cain. I really hope they make that fight.

Zangetsu
03-22-2010, 08:10 PM
That's a prospect vs. prospect fight that actually might happen (if only because the top of the UFC HW division is almost all prospects right now). Considering Velasquez just beat Big Nog, JDS vs. Cain would make for an interesting matchup.

It's really tough to predict matchups in the HW division right now, though. Brock's extended absence has created a bit of a log jam. A JDS/Big Nog fight would make sense, but I doubt they'd fight each other. That leaves the loser of Mir/Carwin, JDS, and Velasquez all looking for fights this summer. Could the winner of Struve/Nelson somehow fit into this?

Dubz
03-22-2010, 08:33 PM
Hey guys who you betting on...Mir or Carwin?

Hockeyis#1
03-22-2010, 09:20 PM
That's a prospect vs. prospect fight that actually might happen (if only because the top of the UFC HW division is almost all prospects right now). Considering Velasquez just beat Big Nog, JDS vs. Cain would make for an interesting matchup.

It's really tough to predict matchups in the HW division right now, though. Brock's extended absence has created a bit of a log jam. A JDS/Big Nog fight would make sense, but I doubt they'd fight each other. That leaves the loser of Mir/Carwin, JDS, and Velasquez all looking for fights this summer. Could the winner of Struve/Nelson somehow fit into this? I don't think Struve/Nelson winner being a good opponent for JDS/Velasquez or Mir/Carwin loser. To me that seems like too big a step up for guys that are still kinda playing on the farm team as opposed to being potentially ready to headline a PPV.

Also, am I the only one who thinks of JDS as being in the same/similar class as Carwin and Velasquez. Someone who's young and has a lot of potential and talent, but is still a fight maybe two away from being a serious title threat. If Arlovski or Silvia were still around, they'd be good opponents for them. Someone whose recognizable and legit, but clearly not a top 5 guy. (Should Carwin beat Mir, I'd consider him to have left this class)

Hey guys who you betting on...Mir or Carwin?
idk, I usually wait till I see some of the pre fight coverage before I make decisions, and I haven't seen any yet admittedly. I haven't seen much of Carwin either, so I'd go Mir.

I instantly thought Jones/Silva. It makes a ton of sense to me. I also think Jones/Cane could be a feasible matchup, as well.....
Bader vs. Jones will not happen. UFC would love for them both to keep winning, much like Carwin/Cain and keeping those two separated in the HW division.Yes, but they have 3 options IMO:
1- have to throw one of them into the shark infested deep end (possibly too early) and see if they float,
2- have them fight each other
3- give them some more high mid tier/bottom top tier opponents. Which is hard because, like the HW division, they're running out those kinds of guys.

Zangetsu
03-23-2010, 02:05 AM
Hey guys who you betting on...Mir or Carwin?This is a really tough fight to pick.

Carwin has looked really good, but he hasn't fought anybody as well rounded as Mir. Gonzaga is well-rounded, but he's become obsessed with striking since the CroCop KO.

Mir's major weakness in his loss to Lesnar was his strength, and based on what I've seen from these two lately, he'll be the physically weaker of the two fighters in this fight, too.

If I had to pick, I'd take Carwin. I think he's more dangerous standing, and he might be able to overpower Mir (a la Brock Lesnar) if the fight goes to the ground.

dw13
03-23-2010, 01:21 PM
http://mmajunkie.com/news/18416/white-says-jones-hype-warranted-though-title-shot-at-least-one-year-away.mma

Dana: Jones title shot atleast a year away

Zangetsu
03-23-2010, 01:26 PM
That's good news on Jones. He's still very raw, and there is no substitute for actual ring experience. I'm hoping he gets two or three more fights in this year.

Dubz
03-23-2010, 06:49 PM
This is a really tough fight to pick.

Carwin has looked really good, but he hasn't fought anybody as well rounded as Mir. Gonzaga is well-rounded, but he's become obsessed with striking since the CroCop KO.

Mir's major weakness in his loss to Lesnar was his strength, and based on what I've seen from these two lately, he'll be the physically weaker of the two fighters in this fight, too.

If I had to pick, I'd take Carwin. I think he's more dangerous standing, and he might be able to overpower Mir (a la Brock Lesnar) if the fight goes to the ground.

Thanks Zang I bet on Carwin. I am not a fan of Mir....something about him rubs me wrong. Haha and Carwin avg fight time of 1:07 rubs me right (Is that really true?)

dw13
03-23-2010, 06:57 PM
I got Mir. His mindset is right now, he's training his ass off and looks absolutely incredible. Best skill set in the UFC HW division, IMO. Size matters, but Mir has put ALOT on and should be able to hang with Carwin.

It'll be a very good fight though.

keyboard
03-23-2010, 07:12 PM
I got Mir. His mindset is right now, he's training his ass off and looks absolutely incredible. Best skill set in the UFC HW division, IMO. Size matters, but Mir has put ALOT on and should be able to hang with Carwin.I will bet big on Mir for the reasons above. Carwin has not had enough fights and I've read that he is more interested in electrical engineering than anything else.

Mir has been obsessed with killing Brock Lesner. That kind of determination has made him train harder and want the win more, and I just find it hard to believe in a battle of will, Carwin has the right kind of mindset to beat Mir.

Mir -130.

mrtybrodur30
03-23-2010, 07:23 PM
I like Carwin, he has more power than Mir imo in the standup and if it goes to the ground I think his wrestling will be enough to control Mir. Very close fight though I just prefer Carwin.

two24four
03-23-2010, 09:37 PM
I'm a Mir fan I hope he wins, but I dont know, this is a really tough one to pick, I could see Carwin taking this, no matter what though it should be a great fight. I really want to see Lesner vs Mir again, so I hope Mir takes it even for that reason alone.

I cant wait for this weekend, I have been looking forward to this card since they brought it out.

Go GSP Go !!!!

dw13
03-25-2010, 10:27 AM
http://mmajunkie.com/news/18441/thiago-alves-out-of-ufc-111-failed-ct-scan-to-blame.mma

Alves has to pull out of Saturdays MUCH anticipated rematch with Fitch because he failed a CT scan.

I'm pissed.

Zangetsu
03-25-2010, 10:59 AM
That really sucks. Apparently, the problem has something to do with an artery in his brain, and it has potential career ending implications for Alves. Let's just hope he's going to be alright.

dw13
03-25-2010, 11:46 AM
That really sucks. Apparently, the problem has something to do with an artery in his brain, and it has potential career ending implications for Alves. Let's just hope he's going to be alright.

I wish him the best. Some of the things he has done to his body in his weight cutting always scared me. Not that this has anything to do with that.

dw13
03-25-2010, 12:28 PM
Fitch will replace Ellenburger, and will fight Ben Saunders. Interesting.

I like Ellenburger, wanted to see him fight again... but obviously happy to see Fitch go in there.

Zangetsu
03-25-2010, 01:12 PM
I wish him the best. Some of the things he has done to his body in his weight cutting always scared me. Not that this has anything to do with that.Actually, I was reading somewhere that this problem may be directly related to cutting weight. The article said something about the sudden changes in fluid levels causes the brain's size to fluctuate, which could lead to arteries becoming malformed.

Zangetsu
03-25-2010, 01:21 PM
Wait, is Ellenberger injured? Or did he just get bumped off the card?

EDIT: Big step up for "Killa B," but I think he matches up pretty well with Fitch. Fitch has to be a big favorite, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Saunders beat him.

dw13
03-25-2010, 02:18 PM
Actually, I was reading somewhere that this problem may be directly related to cutting weight. The article said something about the sudden changes in fluid levels causes the brain's size to fluctuate, which could lead to arteries becoming malformed.

Interesting.

Saunders was outclassed by Swick, lets see if he's ready for the step up in Fitch.

Zangetsu
03-26-2010, 04:51 PM
Watched the latest Dream event over the course of the last few days, and while they don't have the roster of the UFC or Strikeforce, they continue to put on quality, entertaining shows.

Minowaman tapped another 300lb fighter. Kikuno bounced back after his loss to Alvarez with his trademark Crescent Kick. There was a brutal head kick KO. Noons put on a boxing clinic. Mighty Mo/Barnett was entertaining for reasons other than the fighting. BTW, Barnett didn't look so good, but that's to be expected after such a long layoff. The FW championship fight was solid but unspectacular.

Also, here's a preview for the new UFC game, due to hit stores in May.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/ufcundisputed2010360/news.html?tag=stitialclk;gamespace

Zangetsu
03-26-2010, 05:02 PM
Picks for 111:

GSP/Hardy
Mir/Carwin
Pellegrino/Camoes
Fitch/Saunders
Miller/Bocek
Diaz/Markham
Almeida/Brown

dw13
03-26-2010, 05:08 PM
Picks:

GSP/Hardy
Mir/Carwin
Pellegrino/Camoes
Fitch/Saunders
Miller/Bocek
Diaz/Markham
Almeida/Brown

two24four
03-26-2010, 06:57 PM
My picks.

GSP over Hardy
Mir over Carwin
Fitch over Saunders
Diaz over Markham

I cant wait for tomorrow night, been waiting for what seems like forever for 111, off to a party to watch it tomorrow night.

two24four
03-27-2010, 12:03 PM
9 more hours.

dw13
03-27-2010, 12:18 PM
9 more hours.

:lol::lol:

You sound like me 24!

two24four
03-27-2010, 12:28 PM
:lol::lol:

You sound like me 24!

haha, I have not looked forward to a card like this in a long time, maybe because I'm a big fan of both GSP and Mir.

Zangetsu
03-27-2010, 01:03 PM
Only seven hours until the Spike show now.

Mir was in the best shape I've ever seen him at the weigh-ins, BTW. GSP was gaunt, but he always is, so I'm not worried.

dw13
03-27-2010, 01:17 PM
Only seven hours until the Spike show now.

Mir was in the best shape I've ever seen him at the weigh-ins, BTW. GSP was gaunt, but he always is, so I'm not worried.

Mir looked unreal. Great to see.

mrtybrodur30
03-27-2010, 05:47 PM
I hope Hardy and Carwin win tonight. If even one of them wins it will be a good night. If both somehow win it will be awesome. I hate GSP but if he wins I hope he atleast actully fights to win and not to lose. If he wins via a decision again ill laugh.

Dubz
03-27-2010, 08:51 PM
Funny how people hate GSP for "not losing" yet Cotoure is a LEGEND for doing the same thing.

PUMPED UP FOR SOME FIGHTS:headbang:

mrtybrodur30
03-27-2010, 09:40 PM
Funny how people hate GSP for "not losing" yet Cotoure is a LEGEND for doing the same thing.

PUMPED UP FOR SOME FIGHTS:headbang:Atleast for me I really dont like Couture. I respect him but in the recent years the only fight I can remember going for him was against Vera because I really dislike Vera. I hate GSP cause he has had some good fights and some really boring ass fights. Even in my previous post when I said I hate him I also mentioned If he does win tonight hopefully its not a decision. Plus GSP is so far from the best p4p ever like he talks about over and over again. Fedor, Anderson and BJ dominate and finish almost everyguy they face. Anderson and BJ also participate in multiple divisions and Fedor fights guys that are much bigger than him. Hell even Couture is better p4p when you consider multiple titles in multiple divisions(but I realize GSP still has alot of time to get to try to get to that level). I hope GSP will eventually fight at 185. I highly doubt he will ever fight Anderson but he could atleast fight some mid level guys.

oh btw WOW did Nate Diaz look good, that was a very impressive performance by him tonight, not a huge fan of his but he does have alot of skill damn.

Dubz
03-27-2010, 10:35 PM
Carwin is for Real...MIR is NOT

dw13
03-27-2010, 10:39 PM
Carwin is for Real...MIR is NOT

Eh.. Mir has been there, done that. People need to give Mir more credit.

I've really been done with the HW division since the Brocks and Carwin's of the world have arrived. I guess I'm an MMA purist and probably not giving credit either, but size is killing that division. I'd like to get Zang's opinion on that... we share alot of views.

BTW- I know Frank was at 265, but you could viably see that Carwin is a bit bigger.

GSP/Hardy time.

mrtybrodur30
03-27-2010, 10:53 PM

I've really been done with the HW division since the Brocks and Carwin's of the world have arrived. I guess I'm an MMA purist and probably not giving credit either, but size is killing that division. I'd like to get Zang's opinion on that... we share alot of views.

BTW- I know Frank was at 265, but you could viably see that Carwin is a bit bigger.

GSP/Hardy time.I agree would be nice if they had a HW and super HW division. But im so damn happy Mir got his mouth shut an even better he doesnt get Brock now. I would be scared to be around Mir right now that dude was nuts already. Good for Carwin though he had a title shot before then it gets taken away and had to go through Mir to get it again.

dw13
03-27-2010, 11:35 PM
I don't like GSP either, mrty, but to even doubt his ranking in the p4p talks is pretty wrong. I hate the P4P talks because it's all opinion, but GSP is up there with anyone you can talk about. Just because he doesn't "finish" people doesn't mean he doesn't "finish" people. Hardy was finished in every round. He took him out of his gameplan, and he takes everyone out of their plan. It's absolutely amazing to watch.

Carwin was impressive... I guess. He didn't really do anything impressive besides land his huge paws on Mir and that's lights out. HW division for me just isn't too intriguing anymore.

Props to Miller, Pahlares, Pelli and Fitch.

mrtybrodur30
03-27-2010, 11:45 PM
Since the lost to Serra its been Koscheck, Fitch, Alves and now hardy all decisioned. He fought well and def had his way with these guys especially Fitch. I never said hes not around talks for p4p but hes not top 3 right now imo for the reasons I stated earlier. He says he wants to be known as the best p4p ever but right now he doesnt finish guys often in his own division and doesnt fight in another division. Still a ton of time left for him to do all this stuff but for now I dont consider him top 3. The top 3 guys Finish just about anybody they face at an incredible rate. Id love to see him start trying to go after low to mid level 185 guys. I just dont think he wants to.

Dubz
03-27-2010, 11:47 PM
Every guy has a punchers chance....It was nice to see the classiness from GSP after the fight. He apologized for not breaking the kids arm and applauded Hardy by saying he did alot better then he himself did in his first title fight. If you dont love this guy youve got a few screws loose or your just looking for something to hate.

I pulled alot for Mir after his huge injury/comeback but his biog fat fuckin ugly mouth assured me I was wrong.

Hockeyis#1
03-27-2010, 11:53 PM
Yeah, every round starts standing up. Unless you fight GSP, in which case every round starts with a GSP takedown.

Very impressed with Diaz. Always thought he had major talent on the ground but his stand was....awkward....he looked good tonight.

I think Carwin can legitimately beat Lesnar. How did Mir beat Congo? His standup looked the same tonight as it did against Lesnar.

A SHW division would be silly. It's challenging enough for the UFC to make a legit division with the heavyweights they have, let alone another heavier division. It'd never work.

edit-I'm not a big GSP fan because of his lack of (what appears to me anyway) desire to finish fights as opposed to just grind out a win. BJ Penn will fight you anywhere you want and beat you. Ground, standing, clinch, against the cage, in a boat, underwater, etc....While GSP is supremely talented and a dominant wrestler, I don't really think of him as anything BUT a dominant wrestler and good at other stuff. He's not a dominant striker, a dominant submission artist, a dominant GnP'er, he's a dominant wrestler and pretty good at the other 3.

Dubz
03-28-2010, 12:10 AM
Yeah, every round starts standing up. Unless you fight GSP, in which case every round starts with a GSP takedown.

Very impressed with Diaz. Always thought he had major talent on the ground but his stand was....awkward....he looked good tonight.

I think Carwin can legitimately beat Lesnar. How did Mir beat Congo? His standup looked the same tonight as it did against Lesnar.

A SHW division would be silly. It's challenging enough for the UFC to make a legit division with the heavyweights they have, let alone another heavier division. It'd never work.

edit-I'm not a big GSP fan because of his lack of (what appears to me anyway) desire to finish fights as opposed to just grind out a win. BJ Penn will fight you anywhere you want and beat you. Ground, standing, clinch, against the cage, in a boat, underwater, etc....While GSP is supremely talented and a dominant wrestler, I don't really think of him as anything BUT a dominant wrestler and good at other stuff. He's not a dominant striker, a dominant submission artist, a dominant GnP'er, he's a dominant wrestler and pretty good at the other 3.

Yeah BJ likes to fight on the mat:rolleyes:

canuckthug
03-28-2010, 12:19 AM
I thought GSP won the fight when he locked in the arm bar. Overall, the main event was not exciting IMO.

mrtybrodur30
03-28-2010, 12:21 AM
Sounds like after the Edgar fight BJ wants to go up and challenge the Welterweight division and I agree with Hockeyis#1 BJ will fight and beat you anywhere, yeah he lost against St. Pierre the last fight but the 1st fight really could have went either way and even though BJ lost Bj went to the bar and St. Pierre went to the hospital with his busted face after that fight.

Hockeyis#1
03-28-2010, 01:17 AM
Yeah BJ likes to fight on the mat:rolleyes:
Which is where he beat Diago Sanchez for 5 rounds right?? Oh wait.....:rolleyes:
YouTube- BJ Penn vs Diego Sanchez round 5

How about the Sherk fight??
YouTube- Bj Penn TKO Sherk

Zangetsu
03-28-2010, 02:18 AM

GSP/Hardy time.
Yeah, I think we may have even had this discussion in here before.

The weight gap between the LHW and HW division is too big, and these monstrous guys are forcing the really skilled guys like Mir to bulk up just to be competitive. I'm with mrty in that in that I'd like to see an extra weight class between LHW and HW. I think a 230-240lb class and an open weight class would work.

Zangetsu
03-28-2010, 02:31 AM
As for the GSP P4P talk, you can't deny GSP's dominance. There hasn't been a single moment that he's been in danger of losing a fight since the first Serra fight.

In fact, I would go so far as to say that the loss to Serra has dictated the way GSP has approached his last few opponents. I'm not saying that GSP is afraid to stand with guys, but I do think that he would much rather minimize his risk by taking fights to the ground.

My P4P rankings right now look like this:

Anderson
Fedor
GSP
Penn
Aldo

dw13
03-28-2010, 09:05 AM
Yeah, I think we may have even had this discussion in here before.

The weight gap between the LHW and HW division is too big, and these monstrous guys are forcing the really skilled guys like Mir to bulk up just to be competitive. I'm with mrty in that in that I'd like to see an extra weight class between LHW and HW. I think a 230-240lb class and an open weight class would work.

Yeah I think a 235-ish weight class, then probably just an open weight class would be the best idea.

As for the GSP P4P talk, you can't deny GSP's dominance. There hasn't been a single moment that he's been in danger of losing a fight since the first Serra fight.

In fact, I would go so far as to say that the loss to Serra has dictated the way GSP has approached his last few opponents. I'm not saying that GSP is afraid to stand with guys, but I do think that he would much rather minimize his risk by taking fights to the ground.

My P4P rankings right now look like this:

Anderson
Fedor
GSP
Penn
Aldo

I agree with this. GSP is very close to Fedor for me as well.

two24four
03-29-2010, 04:57 PM
Sounds like UFC 115 in Vancouver in June was called off today, it's being moved to Cincy, I'm not sure if it's a done deal yet or not.

Zangetsu
03-29-2010, 06:25 PM
That sucks about Vancouver. "Insurance and other issues" are the supposed reasons for the move. I have no idea what that means.

A couple of other minor stories that broke today:

Overeem will finally defend his Strikeforce HW belt, but it won't be in a fight with Fedor. Brett Rogers somehow earned the shot by losing his most recent fight.

Palhares was suspended for 90 days for shredding Drwal's knee. This is pretty rare AFAIK, and I wonder what kind of a precedent this suspension will set. Palhares camp is saying that they teach their fighters to hold submissions until they are absolutely certain that the ref has noticed their opponent has tapped.

Could this be a reason to officially institute instant replay? If fighters know that they felt their opponent tap, they could relinquish the hold immediately, potentially preventing further injury or loss of consciousness.

mrtybrodur30
03-29-2010, 08:19 PM
That sucks about Vancouver. "Insurance and other issues" are the supposed reasons for the move. I have no idea what that means.

A couple of other minor stories that broke today:

Overeem will finally defend his Strikeforce HW belt, but it won't be in a fight with Fedor. Brett Rogers somehow earned the shot by losing his most recent fight.

Palhares was suspended for 90 days for shredding Drwal's knee. This is pretty rare AFAIK, and I wonder what kind of a precedent this suspension will set. Palhares camp is saying that they teach their fighters to hold submissions until they are absolutely certain that the ref has noticed their opponent has tapped.

Could this be a reason to officially institute instant replay? If fighters know that they felt their opponent tap, they could relinquish the hold immediately, potentially preventing further injury or loss of consciousness.This is bullshit, they announced the fight awhile ago saying it would be a non-title fight which is fine but Rogers gets knocked the f*** out and gets a title shot? lol just stupid.

two24four
03-31-2010, 08:34 PM
Wow, what a knockout by Big Country :eek:

dw13
03-31-2010, 09:08 PM
Shame that Penn rules the LW division. Kenny is the real deal. He does nothing but improve.

Zangetsu
03-31-2010, 11:28 PM
Yeah, Florian was outstanding. Besides BJ's win over Sherk, I don't remember seeing better boxing from a LW.

two24four
04-01-2010, 12:02 AM
That guys nose on TUF 11 tonight was fucked, wow, that was nasty. Dana said after he's never seen a nose cave in that bad before.

Hockeyis#1
04-01-2010, 05:51 AM
So why is Fedor not getting a title shot, but Rodgers is?

Zangetsu
04-02-2010, 12:19 AM
So why is Fedor not getting a title shot, but Rodgers is?It's probably a combination of Overeem ducking Fedor and Fedor being less interested in the Strikeforce title than he is in making money. He is also supposed to be fighting Werdum this summer, so it may just be a timing issue.

All that being said, I'm as big a fan of Fedor the fighter as anyone, but I'm not a big fan of Fedor the businessman. Now, I'm sure he is being heavily influenced by advisers/managers/organized criminals, but the guy has only fought seven times in the last five years.

Zangetsu
04-05-2010, 02:11 PM
Considering Jardine's run in the UFC is probably winding down, it looks like he's pursuing other career options. He had a bit in last night's episode of "Breaking Bad." Played a mean looking guy in a bar and got beat up by a cop.

I wonder if he gets paid more to get beat up in the Octagon or on TV.

Zangetsu
04-06-2010, 12:03 PM
Fitch/Alves back on for UFC 115. Glad to hear that Alves is going to be alright.

two24four
04-07-2010, 03:08 PM
My picks for this weekend, UFC 112.

Silva over Maia
Penn over Edgar
Gracie over Hughes
Dos Anjos over Etim
Grove over Munoz

dw13
04-07-2010, 03:41 PM
My picks for this weekend, UFC 112.

Silva over Maia
Penn over Edgar
Gracie over Hughes
Dos Anjos over Etim
Grove over Munoz

Silva over Maia
Penn over Edgar
Hughes over Gracie
Etim over Dos Anjos
Munoz over Grove

There are a bunch of undercard fights I cannot wait to see:

Phil Davis vs. Alexander Gustafsson
John Gunderson vs. Paul Taylor
Nick Osipczak vs. Rick Story
Brad Blackburn vs. DaMarques Johnson

Zangetsu
04-07-2010, 03:57 PM
Silva over Maia
Penn over Edgar
Hughes over Gracie
Etim over Dos Anjos
Munoz over Grove

There are a bunch of undercard fights I cannot wait to see:

Phil Davis vs. Alexander Gustafsson
John Gunderson vs. Paul Taylor
Nick Osipczak vs. Rick Story
Brad Blackburn vs. DaMarques JohnsonI got the exact same picks for the main card. I'll be rooting for Renzo, but I doubt he'll be able to beat the younger/stronger Hughes.

I'm as excited to see the Davis/Gustafsson fight as I am for any of the main card fights.

dw13
04-07-2010, 04:00 PM
I got the exact same picks for the main card. I'll be rooting for Renzo, but I doubt he'll be able to beat the younger/stronger Hughes.

I'm as excited to see the Davis/Gustafsson fight as I am for any of the main card fights.

Yeah me too. Davis/Gustafsson is going to awesome, I can't wait to see it.

I'm also rooting for Renzo, but not picking him.

keyboard
04-10-2010, 12:58 PM
It's weird watching UFC in the afternoon.

Zangetsu
04-10-2010, 02:11 PM
THE NEW UFC LIGHTWEIGHT CHAMP!!!

Wow, I was thoroughly impressed with Frankie, but I didn't think that he'd done enough to win the belt after some of the recent decisions. He was definitely the more aggressive fighter in all five rounds, and his fifth round was the most decisive round of the entire fight. BJ was lethargic from the start, and I'm wondering what was up with his knee.

Dubz
04-10-2010, 02:20 PM
BJ lost more than Frankie won. BJ did nothing but counter.....thats not how you win. It was odd to see him get taken down twice as well. Frankie easily out worked him and deserved the decision...but when it goes to the cards you just never know!!!

dw13
04-10-2010, 07:00 PM
Meh...

keyboard
04-10-2010, 09:25 PM
At what point is Silva going from entertaining/dominating to ridiculing/disgracing the sport?

Zangetsu
04-10-2010, 09:37 PM
I was just going to come in here to post something similar.

He's still the best striker the sport has to offer, but three of his last four fights have been really disappointing from a fan's perspective.

keyboard
04-12-2010, 01:06 AM
He looked like a fool and he disrespected his opponent, the sport, his employers and, most significantly, a live crowd which paid a gate of $3.5 million as well as the hundreds of thousands of people who purchased the pay-per-view to watch him.

White seethed at the postfight news conference and tossed verbal hand grenades in Silva’s direction. After meeting with reporters following the news conference, White headed to Silva’s trailer for a showdown.

He said he didn’t know how he would punish Silva, who won by scores of 50-45, 50-45 and 49-46, but said he would find a way to make it up http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=ki-ufcsilva041010

snoopzen
04-12-2010, 01:42 AM
I just watched that Silva fight. That was brutal. How you can bow with respect towards the guy at the beginning and then put on that disrespectful display afterwards is beyond me.

Apparently Silva thought Maia disrespected him as a fighter leading up to the fight and just wanted to physically punish him, and I guess he did, but that was a weird, weird fight. I don't know what he was trying to do in those last few rounds. It was shades of Kimbo vs Houston Alexander, and no Anderson Silva fight should remind you of that.

keyboard
04-12-2010, 11:00 AM
I just watched that Silva fight. That was brutal. How you can bow with respect towards the guy at the beginning and then put on that disrespectful display afterwards is beyond me.What is even worse is that he bowed to him at the end of the fight, too.

Chilly_Willy
04-12-2010, 09:57 PM
Damit for the second UFC in a row the cable company messed up the PPV feed. I have not seen either. urrg.

Going to catch some of the bouts on the internet but sucks already konowning who won

keyboard
04-12-2010, 11:35 PM
Going to catch some of the bouts on the internet but sucks already konowning who wonTo be honest, I don't think knowing the outcomes to the Penn or Silva fight will take away from the value. You should enjoy Edgar's fight just for his tenacity, and you should be as disgusted with Silva as you would be if it were live. You just saved money, so be thankful for that.

Zangetsu
04-14-2010, 08:13 PM
Dana was on Jim Rome's show on ESPN today (weird that I even tuned in, I usually watch ATH/PTI, but rarely catch JRIB, anyway...), and he said that Silva would fight Sonnen next. So, the move down to WW to fight GSP probably won't happen this year.

Dana also said that if Silva has another fight like the Cote/Leites/Maia fights, he will cut him from the UFC roster. This is likely just Dana's usual sabre rattling, but it would be interesting to see if he follows through if Silva disappoints against Sonnen.

Before the end of the interview, Dana managed to call out Fedor, claiming he's not the best HW in the world. He then said that the Edgar win over Penn was the biggest upset in UFC history. IMO, no upset will ever top GSP/Serra.

dw13
04-14-2010, 08:28 PM
I fully expect a "Fuck you Dana" KO from Silva against Sonnen.

First round KO.

Chilly_Willy
04-15-2010, 01:46 AM
OMG that Silva fight WTF. That was almost worse than Kimbo v Alexandar.

I can't beleive that I am starting to dread upcoming matches with the best fighter in the world. He looks like he is getting bored.

two24four
04-16-2010, 12:55 PM
Talks already that Penn vs Edgar II could happen at UFC 118 in August, in Boston.

Zangetsu
04-16-2010, 12:57 PM
I guess that means Florian is going to fight Maynard.

two24four
04-16-2010, 12:59 PM
See, I think Penn should have to fight the top contender 1st, if he wins that, then he can have a his rematch with Edgar.

Zangetsu
04-16-2010, 01:02 PM
If Edgar stopped him, I'd agree with you. BJ hadn't lost a fight at LW since 2002.

dw13
04-16-2010, 01:09 PM
BJ deserves an instant rematch, and will get it.

They will have both Maynard/Florian, BJ/Edgar on the same card I'm sure. Winners will face each other.

Zang, I'm excited to see StrikeForce this weekend.

Hendo > Shields
Gegard > King Mo'
Melendez > Aoki

I hope Hendo kills shields, Gegard kills Mo and Melendez kills Aoki. I dislike all 3 of them greatly.

two24four
04-16-2010, 01:11 PM
If Edgar stopped him, I'd agree with you. BJ hadn't lost a fight at LW since 2002.

Yeah, good point.

Zangetsu
04-16-2010, 01:16 PM
Hell yeah. Three title fights. Mousasi vs. King Mo is a really interesting wrestler/MMA matchup (although Lawal has looked better on his feet lately).

Hendo/Shields looks like a bit of a mismatch, if only based on the size of the two guys. Hendo has held a title at LHW, while Shields is a natural WW.

Aoki/Melendez should be interesting. Melendez could definitely pull off a Hanson-esque upset, but he's going to have to fight a very smart fight. Aoki doesn't need many opportunities to finish a guy, so it may only take one slip up for Melendez to lose. I'll be pulling for El Nino in this one.

dw13
04-16-2010, 01:19 PM
Yeah. If King Mo' messes around on the feet I expect Gegard to really put it on him. I think either way, Gegard has the advantage, he could even pull off a sub on the ground.

Hendo/Shields is like you said, a mismatch. Shields won't be able to LnP on Hendo, and if it stays standing for any amount of good time, then he's going to get crushed.

My pick over Melendez is because of my recent hate-fest for Aoki. Melendez is going to have to be smart and pick his spots to pull it out. Catch him on the feet, hopefully.

It'll be a fun one.

dw13
04-17-2010, 10:37 PM
Did I really just see that? (at the end). Incredible stuff.

The whole night was wild.

Zangetsu
04-18-2010, 01:39 AM
Stockton, baby!! Stockton!!

Seriously, though, what were Coker and Co. thinking, putting a guy like Mayhem in the ring with the Diaz brothers? You knew Mayhem would start shit, and you knew that the Diaz brothers would flip out.

Coker has always talked about building his organization the right way, but if they were banking on Mayhem starting something like that and using it in a publicity grab, I've lost a lot of respect for Coker, who I've always thought was one of the smartest guys in the business.

Dana White's response the the end of the Strikeforce card:

http://twitter.com/danawhite/status/12378117795

But, yeah, it was like each upset was bigger than the next. King Mo exposed a big flaw in Mousasi's game. He's so good on his back that he's never been afraid to be taken down, but he's never fought anybody as big and strong as Lawal. Yeah, Mousasi did a lot of damage from his back, but you can't win a decision spending that much time on your back.

Aoki looked lost. Melendez dove into his guard a couple of times, but for the most part he fought a smart fight. I have to watch this fight again, as I was in a couple of big hands in the poker game that was going on during the fight.

I don't know what to say about Hendo. Did he just look past Shields, or is his age maybe catching up with him? I don't know if I've ever seen a fighter get to the mount in four consecutive rounds.

eff1ngham
04-18-2010, 11:17 AM
Did I really just see that? (at the end). Incredible stuff.

:lol: No kidding. I love Mayhem, that dude is hilarious

dw13
04-18-2010, 01:32 PM
:lol: No kidding. I love Mayhem, that dude is hilarious

He's an idiot. Never liked him, and they were asking for bad news (although I'm sure Mayhem got in there unnoticed.)

Zangetsu
04-18-2010, 02:12 PM
Coker said in the post fight press conference that nobody on his staff was aware that Mayhem was in the cage after the fight. Sounds like the local security would be at fault.

I don't mind Mayhem, and I find some of his entrances funny, but he needs to go over to Japan and stay there. There's little room for his antics over here, but the Japanese fans still appreciate his showmanship. Besides, there aren't a whole lot of guys over here he can beat.

Hockeyis#1
04-19-2010, 07:02 AM
Briefly watched the Strikeforce card, saw most of Hendo/Shields and bits and pieces of other fights, not enough to comment on.

How does Hendo not only get taken down with such ease, but get so easily owned on the ground? Especially after practically having the fight slip through his fingers in round 1?!? I never thought Shields had much of a chance in that fight. I'm embarrassed for Hendo....

dw13
04-19-2010, 08:56 AM
Briefly watched the Strikeforce card, saw most of Hendo/Shields and bits and pieces of other fights, not enough to comment on.

How does Hendo not only get taken down with such ease, but get so easily owned on the ground? Especially after practically having the fight slip through his fingers in round 1?!? I never thought Shields had much of a chance in that fight. I'm embarrassed for Hendo....

I think Shields deserves some more credit then that...

Hockeyis#1
04-20-2010, 05:14 AM
I think Shields deserves some more credit then that...It just seemed like Hendo put up very little resistance while on the ground. I expected more of a struggle from someone from such a strong wrestling background.

dw13
04-20-2010, 09:03 AM
It just seemed like Hendo put up very little resistance while on the ground. I expected more of a struggle from someone from such a strong wrestling background.

well I definitely agree that I thought Hendo would be able to fight off the takedowns, but, IMO either A) Hendo's age really caught up to him B) his neck and other injuries are worse then he really makes it out to be or C) Shields wrestling is really legit.

Either way, we saw enough from Shields to want him in the UFC and get him back down to WW.