PDA

View Full Version : Offical MMA Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

dw13
08-10-2009, 01:34 PM
Back in the Pride days, there were all kinds of fights that simply didn't happen because guys didn't want to fight friends/teammates. It's not like these guys are gladiators. Nobody is holding a gun to their head.

Dana will definitely lobby for a Machida/Silva fight, but he can't force them to do anything. If two guys sincerely don't want to fight each other, they probably wouldn't have a great fight anyway. I suppose Dana could strip their belts, but then he risks losing them to Dream/Strikeforce.

Bingo, right on.

By the way, Zang, what'd you think of last night? You catch it?

Zangetsu
08-10-2009, 01:44 PM
The WEC card was pretty crazy. The first two fights were really close. Even though Benevidez didn't win, he's so fun to watch. While he's a completely different fighter than Shogun (boxer/wrestler vs. muay thai/bjj), he's got that same unorthodox style, crazy agility, and relentless aggression that pre-knee injury Shogun had.

Cruz was very impressive. He used his reach advantage to really neutralize Benevidez's stand-up and was also able to take down the world class wrestler. Cruz/Bowles should be next up with Torres fighting either Mizugaki or Benevidez to determine the next #1 contender.

As for the Torres/Bowles fight, I don't know what to say. Bowles was definitely in trouble, but he was able to land a perfect counter. Props to Bowles, but I don't think this is the same situation as Faber/Brown.

dw13
08-10-2009, 02:49 PM
The WEC card was pretty crazy. The first two fights were really close. Even though Benevidez didn't win, he's so fun to watch. While he's a completely different fighter than Shogun (boxer/wrestler vs. muay thai/bjj), he's got that same unorthodox style, crazy agility, and relentless aggression that pre-knee injury Shogun had.

Cruz was very impressive. He used his reach advantage to really neutralize Benevidez's stand-up and was also able to take down the world class wrestler. Cruz/Bowles should be next up with Torres fighting either Mizugaki or Benevidez to determine the next #1 contender.

As for the Torres/Bowles fight, I don't know what to say. Bowles was definitely in trouble, but he was able to land a perfect counter. Props to Bowles, but I don't think this is the same situation as Faber/Brown.

I think Cruz has a legit shot to beat Bowles, before Torres is back in the running for the belt. I'd think it'll be Mizugaki vs. Torres for the #1 contender.

It was a solid event for sure.

Zangetsu
08-10-2009, 03:05 PM
Cruz will have a chance against anybody in that division based on his height/reach and quickness. If he fights smart, he'll definitely have a chance to beat Bowles.

Mizugaki probably is more deserving than Benevidez. If Torres/Mizugaki can come up with a repeat of their first fight, I definitely wouldn't mind watching them again.

dw13
08-10-2009, 05:04 PM
Update the sig Zang: Diaz refused the drug test, and is replaced by Mr. JT Money Jesse Taylor!

Zangetsu
08-10-2009, 05:22 PM
Hmm...sounds like a mix up by the athletic commission. The strange thing is that Diaz claims to have a prescription for medical marijuana, but he can't fight with it in his system. Sucks he won't be able to fight, either way. I know Diaz is one of the most hated fighters on the planet, but I love watching him fight.

Jesse Taylor sure is keeping busy. This will be his third fight since July 11th and his seventh fight this year.

dw13
08-10-2009, 07:56 PM
Hmm...sounds like a mix up by the athletic commission. The strange thing is that Diaz claims to have a prescription for medical marijuana, but he can't fight with it in his system. Sucks he won't be able to fight, either way. I know Diaz is one of the most hated fighters on the planet, but I love watching him fight.

Jesse Taylor sure is keeping busy. This will be his third fight since July 11th and his seventh fight this year.

Following the UFC's orders when they let him go, said to get active and they would reconsider him.. not sure how close he is to coming back, but good for him.

mrtybrodur30
08-10-2009, 08:44 PM
All i was saying in regard to Silva/Machida is you would think if they let Anderson give up his 185lb belt i think they will have made sure Silva would fight Machida if thats the fight that presents itself at the time.

Zangetsu
08-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Personally, I think everybody is just overreacting, including Silva's camp and the UFC. There's just so much excitement right now after the legendary performance Anderson put on at UFC 101. This fight with Griffin was meant to mend Silva's reputation, and I don't think it could've done a better job at that. Now Silva can return to dominating 185. Maybe we'll see another superfight involving Silva, and maybe we won't, but I think he's ultimately going to end up fighting mostly in the MW division.

dw13
08-10-2009, 09:19 PM
I think you are spot on Zang.. and rightly so. I still want to see Hendo/Silva II, I want to see ShoGun/Lyoto.. Page/Shad.. the winners fight, etc.

Hockeyis#1
08-12-2009, 03:40 PM
I still want to see Hendo/Silva II
+1

Watching Hendo destroy Bisbing made me want to see him challenge Silva again.

I really don't see why he has to give up the MW belt if BJ Penn didn't have to give up the LW to challenge GSP for the WW....

I don't get the whole "I don't want to fight _______ because we're friends" I've dropped the gloves in hockey games with guys I was good friends with because it was necessary at the time. If you want to fight the best in the world Silva, you're probably going to have to fight guys like Machida.

What about GSP/Silva? realistic?

dw13
08-12-2009, 03:53 PM
+1

Watching Hendo destroy Bisbing made me want to see him challenge Silva again.

I really don't see why he has to give up the MW belt if BJ Penn didn't have to give up the LW to challenge GSP for the WW....

I don't get the whole "I don't want to fight _______ because we're friends" I've dropped the gloves in hockey games with guys I was good friends with because it was necessary at the time. If you want to fight the best in the world Silva, you're probably going to have to fight guys like Machida.

What about GSP/Silva? realistic?

BJ was going up and then was coming right back to LW. Not to mention he didn't defend the LW belt for how long? It was a different scenario.

Anderson is talking about full time at LHW, and that means giving up his belt. Not having to make that cut/gain every other fight. It takes time to make the cut like that.

As for the not fighting friends, hey man, it happens. They don't want to do it, so you have to honor that. You don't have to understand it, but its something some gyms/fighters honor.

GSP/Silva could possibly happen. But I think it would need atleast 9-10 months for GSP to gain enough weight to fight at 185 against Silva. GSP would need to get to 200 pounds or so, to cut down to 185 for the fight. That being said, I don't see it happening.

Hendo/Silva, Silva/Nate or Maia, Silva/Rashad, Silva/Page are all fights we will/could see in the future.

two24four
08-12-2009, 05:01 PM
I also dont see a GSP vs Silva fight happening, I heard the other day that even thou GSP has not come out in public with it, I guess behind closed doors he's said he really does not want to fight Anderson.

dw13
08-12-2009, 05:05 PM
I also dont see a GSP vs Silva fight happening, I heard the other day that even thou GSP has not come out in public with it, I guess behind closed doors he's said he really does not want to fight Anderson.

He said it after the Alves fight. Said there are alot of people in 170 he still wants to fight (yeah, right.).

But in all fairness, like I said... it'd take him a year of preparation just to be ready to fight him.

two24four
08-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Yeah GSP said himself that it would take him at least year, if not longer to get ready for Silva, I just dont see this going down anytime soon, if at all.

mrtybrodur30
08-12-2009, 06:53 PM
They should call GSP out and give him the time to go to 185 especially if he wants to try to be the best pound for pound ever like he claims he wants to be. IMO it will never happen though and if it did Silva would win pretty easily, but even though he has a decent amount of decisions hes still like 2 levels above everyone else at 170 right now, i just wish he would stop people more often when he has the chances.

Zangetsu
08-12-2009, 08:33 PM
I don't think it's fair to criticize GSP for taking fights to decision. His best assets are cardio, wrestling, and game-planning. I'm sure he'll keep working on his striking game, but for now he's so dominant with the rest of his skillset that he doesn't really need to accomplish much on the feet.

Granted, KO's and submissions are impressive, but for anything other than P4P discussions, a win is a win.

Hockeyis#1
08-13-2009, 01:12 PM
GSP/Silva could possibly happen. But I think it would need atleast 9-10 months for GSP to gain enough weight to fight at 185 against Silva. GSP would need to get to 200 pounds or so, to cut down to 185 for the fight. That being said, I don't see it happening
Match weight?

dw13
08-13-2009, 01:24 PM
Match weight?

It'd be fought at 185.

Zangetsu
08-13-2009, 04:22 PM
With all the rumors of Silva cutting from 220+, I don't think that there's any chance he tries to go any lower than 185. Plus, in the event that GSP/Silva does happen, having the title belt on the line would make it more of a true superfight, rather than an exhibition. That being said, considering GSP's reluctance, I doubt it happens.

Dubz
08-14-2009, 10:07 AM
Where can i see these fights?

Thanks guys

dw13
08-14-2009, 01:09 PM
Where can i see these fights?

Thanks guys

mma-core.com normally has it all

Dubz
08-14-2009, 02:19 PM
:yes:

That did look kinda odd the way Forest went down and out. Was he concerned about broken jaw?

K Flo just doesnt have enought o take out BJ....Not sure why he would constantly go for take downs. Isnt BJ the best at defending them? Nice finishing move there by BJ with the heel kicks. You know those fuckers hurt.

Zangetsu
08-14-2009, 04:11 PM
It's almost not fair for BJ's opponents. He's got four equally coordinated limbs, and his flexibility is unmatched.

YouTube - BJ Penn puts his leg behind his head WITHOUT using hands!

dw13
08-15-2009, 10:39 PM
Mousasi is really damn good man, always loved his game and how he carries himself. I've wanted UFC to sign him and bring him to the MW division for awhile now.

Gina/Cyborg coming next!

Zangetsu
08-16-2009, 02:22 AM
Melendez fought a really smart fight. He'd dropped way down in the rankings of late, but this fight showed that he's turning into a more mature fighter.

While Strikeforce signed Fedor, they may have also signed "Fedor-lite." Mousasi has a long way to go to match Fedor's legacy, but his all-around game and completely indifferent ring presence remind me a lot of "The Last Emperor."

My heart was rooting for Gina, but my brain told me that Cyborg would win. Cyborg was just way too strong for Gina. She's going to be tough to beat at 145.

While I think that Strikeforce did a very nice job in terms of overall presentation, I have a bit of advice for the people in charge of the Strikeforce broadcasts.

1. Get rid of the creepy skeleton computer graphics. They're really cheesy and don't add anything to the broadcast.
2. Gus Johnson either needs to go, or he needs to undergo training in MMA commentary. The guy is clueless when it come to MMA. Mauro Ranallo is capable of covering play-by-play on his own, so I really don't see why Johnson is even necessary.

Chilly_Willy
08-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Poor Gina, she was so dominant in her other fights but she sure met her match. Chris Cyborg is larger, stronger and just as quick. Not saying Gina's is not strong but when you look at Cyborg's frame she is incredibly over the top ripped.

dw13
08-16-2009, 10:30 PM
Melendez fought a really smart fight. He'd dropped way down in the rankings of late, but this fight showed that he's turning into a more mature fighter.

While Strikeforce signed Fedor, they may have also signed "Fedor-lite." Mousasi has a long way to go to match Fedor's legacy, but his all-around game and completely indifferent ring presence remind me a lot of "The Last Emperor."

My heart was rooting for Gina, but my brain told me that Cyborg would win. Cyborg was just way too strong for Gina. She's going to be tough to beat at 145.

While I think that Strikeforce did a very nice job in terms of overall presentation, I have a bit of advice for the people in charge of the Strikeforce broadcasts.

1. Get rid of the creepy skeleton computer graphics. They're really cheesy and don't add anything to the broadcast.
2. Gus Johnson either needs to go, or he needs to undergo training in MMA commentary. The guy is clueless when it come to MMA. Mauro Ranallo is capable of covering play-by-play on his own, so I really don't see why Johnson is even necessary.

Spot on Zang.

I really like Melendez, think if he can fight smart fights everytime out, he has the skill set to be very good
Mousasi is no joke. He's one of my favorite fighters and I like him even moreso at 185. Think he would be a monster and he has shown how great he is in a short span.
Gus Johnson, is an idiot, has an annoying voice and knows NOTHING about MMA. Get rid of him.
Gina, Cyborg... eh I really could careless for. I figured Cyborg would do what she did.

CayugaPosse
08-17-2009, 07:02 AM
Just watched Strikeforce...meh.

I can't stand their shows whatsoever...

I like Mousasi, but I think that was as much Babalu being terrible as him being dominant.

And for people that brag about Strikeforce's heavyweight division, I point to the Werdum fight as proof of how weak it is. Werdum is a top contender and one of the guys I was told will fight Fedor and do well(when I said he was ducking real competition). Werdum almost got mauled by some random guy I'd never even heard of. First of all standing up he couldn't even slightly handle this guy(so really, what the hell chance does he have against a real fighter like Fedor?), and secondly, he's a BJJ master and this boxer nearly tapped him if his arm-bar wasn't as sloppy as it was.

Werdum looked horrible in that fight.

dw13
08-17-2009, 10:21 AM
Just watched Strikeforce...meh.

I can't stand their shows whatsoever...

I like Mousasi, but I think that was as much Babalu being terrible as him being dominant.

And for people that brag about Strikeforce's heavyweight division, I point to the Werdum fight as proof of how weak it is. Werdum is a top contender and one of the guys I was told will fight Fedor and do well(when I said he was ducking real competition). Werdum almost got mauled by some random guy I'd never even heard of. First of all standing up he couldn't even slightly handle this guy(so really, what the hell chance does he have against a real fighter like Fedor?), and secondly, he's a BJJ master and this boxer nearly tapped him if his arm-bar wasn't as sloppy as it was.

Werdum looked horrible in that fight.

Werdum looked bad against Dos Santos too, but Werdum does have a decent enough resume to be a solid HW in Strikeforce. Wins over Overeem, Aleks, Gonzaga x2, Vera and has experience in the ring with Nog and Arlovski.

I don't think Strikeforces heavyweight division is better, or as good as UFC's but it isn't a slouch division. Rogers, Overeem and Werdum will atleast be 3 fights to make Fedor fight in the organization, and not be off as much as he normally is (hopefully).

Werdum slipped into an armbar, but you saw how easy he escaped, considering Mike Kyles BJJ experience isn't wealthy enough at all.

Babalu isn't a joke either, Mousasi outclassed a guy who also has a list of nice wins on his resume.

I agree though, I can't stand their shows. Between the lame muscle guys they show before the fight to give their "keys to the fight" and Gus Johnson, it makes me want to hurl.

two24four
08-17-2009, 12:00 PM
haha, Chuck Liddell & Michael Irvin are going to be on the next Dancing with the Stars show.

Jake
08-20-2009, 08:51 PM
Carwin v. Lesnar on Nov. 21

I hope Carwin destroys him

Edit: saw it on ESPN bottom line, confirmed it here
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4412662&name=mma

Carwin vs Velasquez will not happen as schjeduled on October 24th, Velasquez will instead face Rothwell

Zangetsu
08-21-2009, 10:36 PM
I actually think that the Velasquez fight would've been good for Carwin. He's very much a work in progress, and Velasquez would've been a good learning experience for him. I doubt he beats Lesnar here (that's so painful to say), but given a little more time to develop, he may be the guy that eventually dethrones the freak of nature.

BTW, I completely missed the news of the UFC signing Rothwell.

dw13
08-22-2009, 02:21 PM
I actually think that the Velasquez fight would've been good for Carwin. He's very much a work in progress, and Velasquez would've been a good learning experience for him. I doubt he beats Lesnar here (that's so painful to say), but given a little more time to develop, he may be the guy that eventually dethrones the freak of nature.

BTW, I completely missed the news of the UFC signing Rothwell.

Yeah.. I'm not sure what to say. I don't like how people compare Carwin's wrestling pedigree to the one of Lesnar, because simply put, they are not close. Lesnars is far superior and more accomplished than Carwins, and thats not taking anything away from Carwin. Also, cannot stand how people say Carwins comparable in size to Lesnar, we will all see at the weighins that Carwin is a dwarf next to the freak size of Lesnar.

I give Carwin a slight punchers shot because of his natural power in his hands, but I got Lesnar via rape pretty much.

Yeah, Rothwell came over in the "merger"

Hockeyis#1
08-22-2009, 04:47 PM
Yeah.. I'm not sure what to say. I don't like how people compare Carwin's wrestling pedigree to the one of Lesnar, because simply put, they are not close. Lesnars is far superior and more accomplished than Carwins, and thats not taking anything away from Carwin. Also, cannot stand how people say Carwins comparable in size to Lesnar, we will all see at the weighins that Carwin is a dwarf next to the freak size of Lesnar.

I give Carwin a slight punchers shot because of his natural power in his hands, but I got Lesnar via rape pretty much.

Yeah, Rothwell came over in the "merger"
Giving Carwin this match is not good for him I'd say. The problem is, if it weren't for him or Velasquez, who would fight Lesnar before say....January?

Zangetsu
08-22-2009, 06:04 PM
Giving Carwin this match is not good for him I'd say. The problem is, if it weren't for him or Velasquez, who would fight Lesnar before say....January?
Rubber match with Mir?

Although, you've got a point. I don't know if another fight with Mir would be worth watching, at least not yet.

dw13
08-22-2009, 06:08 PM

If Randy beats Nog, I'd say Randy. Of anyone who has lost to Lesnar thus far, Randy has done the best. I think he if would of lasted a bit longer, he had the ogre gassed.

Dubz
08-22-2009, 08:44 PM
I cant wait to see Rampage on the new show...That guy is meant to be on camera. Rashad is from Detroit (I think) so the attitudes should clash well. Throw in the diver from the internet and I think ill be watching this one religiously.

two24four
08-23-2009, 10:31 AM
I cant wait to see Rampage on the new show...That guy is meant to be on camera. Rashad is from Detroit (I think) so the attitudes should clash well. Throw in the diver from the internet and I think ill be watching this one religiously.

Same here, I cant wait for this to get going, also helps that Rampage is one of my favs.

dw13
08-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Predictions. (wishful thinking on the Maia one, he's my favorite fighter so I'm taking him)

MAIN CARD

Randy Couture vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira- Unanimous Decision

Keith Jardine vs. Thiago Silva - 2nd round TKO
Chris Leben vs. Jake Rosholt - Unanimous Decision
Demian Maia vs. Nate Marquardt - 2nd round Triangle
Krzysztof Soszynski vs. Brandon Vera - 2nd round Armbar

I think Nog will be his oldself and outclass Randy on their feet. I'm pretty sure Jardine will TKO Silva, I'm not a big fan of Thiago Silva and don't see Jardine having a problem with his unorthodox style. Rosholt is one of my favorite fighters, has been for awhile now, he is a tough son of a bitch with a great wrestling background, I expect him to make it boring but take Leben down a couple times for the UD. Maia via triangle is something hopeful, maybe Marquardt gets fusterated on the feet and takes him down, Maia from the bottom pulls out a Triangle. Vera vs. Kryzsolf, both Muay Thai guys, Vera's being much better.. takes him down, takes side control and armbars him!

Hockeyis#1
08-23-2009, 11:11 PM
Randy Couture vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
Keith Jardine vs. Thiago Silva
Chris Leben vs. Jake Rosholt
Nate Marquardt vs. Demian Maia
Brandon Vera vs. Krzysztof Soszynski

CayugaPosse
08-24-2009, 12:00 AM
Randy Couture vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
Keith Jardine vs. Thiago Silva
Chris Leben vs. Jake Rosholt
Nate Marquardt vs. Demian Maia
Brandon Vera vs. Krzysztof Soszynski

My picks are the ones in white.

Zangetsu
08-26-2009, 08:12 PM
Next up for Fedor: Brett Rogers

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/strikeforce-fedor-rogers-booked-19325

This probably won't be much of a fight, but at least Fedor will be back fighting.

Hockeyis#1
08-29-2009, 03:14 AM
Don't know if this was said already, but Rampage is rumored to be cast as Mr. T's character from the A-Team movie that's being made

two24four
08-29-2009, 12:01 PM
Don't know if this was said already, but Rampage is rumored to be cast as Mr. T's character from the A-Team movie that's being made

I heard this as well, really there is know one better for the part IMO.

My picks for tonight....

Nog over Couture
Jardine over Silva
Leben over Rosholt
Marquardt over Maia
Soszynski over Vera
Herman over Simpson
Gonzaga over Tuchscherer

dw13
08-29-2009, 12:05 PM
I heard this as well, really there is know one better for the part IMO.

My picks for tonight....

Nog over Couture
Jardine over Silva
Leben over Rosholt
Marquardt over Maia
Soszynski over Vera
Herman over Simpson
Gonzaga over Tuchscherer

I'll take Simpson over Herman and Tusch I have money at at a huge dog, and I think he will be a handful for Gonzaga. Although I think Gabe will win.

mrtybrodur30
08-29-2009, 05:17 PM
Nog over Couture- huge toss up should be a good fight, really anything can happen in this one.
Jardine over Silva- another toss up really, but I like Jardine here.
Marquardt over Maia- Marquardt is way too well rounded and I think he will have a huge win, i dont see Maia giving him to much problem.
Soszynki over Vera- easy i hate Vera and hope he gets ko'd.

Chilly_Willy
08-30-2009, 11:11 AM
The ball shot heard around the world! That was unfortunate. Ball shot or not that guy didn't really look in Gonzaga's league. But the shots that Chris took and still kept going was amazing. I thionk he knew it was his last UFC fight and just went for it.

two24four
08-30-2009, 12:06 PM
Other then the Couture vs Nog fight that card pretty much sucked last night.

dw13
08-30-2009, 12:15 PM

I disagree.

I enjoyed watching Vera's beautiful stand up against Kryztolf. He outclassed him on his feet, and showed his underrated wrestling abilities when he tried to take him down, or pin him on the cage. Real good win for Vera and hes going to continue to be good at 205.

My boy Maia got dropped. Left himself wide open throwing that kick and the ogre Nate dropped him. I'd like to see Nate vs. Hendo before either gets Silva. It'd be a good fight and I'd like to see Hendo finish him. I cannot stand Jackson's camp.

Silva surprised me KO'ing Jardine. His standup is much better than I gave him credit for, and he has natural power. Really impressive on Thiago's part.

Roshalt beasted Leben all night. Great fight by Roshalt. He is a tough guy to beat, because when things are going well he can just take you down. Not many better wrestlers in the UFC. Nice arm and head choke, and seeing Leben flip like a fish when he was out cold!

Nog vs. Randy was a dandy! FOTY right now at this point. Both showed why they are HOF'ers even if they are past their prime. Nog looked great in all aspects of the game. Maybe his transitions are a bit slower but damn he can still brawl. Randy just re-upped his contract, so he is staying around for awhile more, and he's worthy of that.

Duffee's KO of Hauge was very impressed, and I was happy to see Simpson beat Herman, even though Herman did get hurt like that.

Zangetsu
08-30-2009, 09:11 PM
Was in NY for a Yankees game yesterday, so I just finished watching the UFC card.

Agree that Couture/Nog is in the running for FOTY. The third round was a little slow, but the first two rounds were easily two of the better rounds of fighting that I've seen in a long time. Randy's two submission escapes were amazing, and Minotauro looked as good as he has since coming over from Japan.

Didn't recognize Rosholt by name, but I remember watching him in the WEC, and he was impressive. I like a wrestler who doesn't depend solely on his wrestling skills. He needs to work on his interview skills, though.

Marquardt has looked amazing in his last couple of fights. He's always had well rounded skills, but his striking is really looking great right now.

Is there any division more stacked than 205? While 185, 170, and 155 may have the more dominant champions (let's wait to see Machida defend before we put him in with the likes of Silva, GSP, and BJ), 205 could be the deepest division in the UFC. Silva probably isn't champion material, but he's tough enough to hold his own with the best.

I know Vera is one of those fighters that some people can't stand, but I've always been a fan. He's finally showing everyone that he's ready to take MMA seriously. You can't deny his talent, and now that he seems to be putting in the effort in the gym, he could make some noise at 205.

That Duffee kid could be somebody to watch. At 23 years old, he's got a lot of room for improvement, and there are few camps better than ATT.

snoopzen
08-31-2009, 11:13 AM
Good for a few yuks...

YouTube - Dana White finally admits Fedor is the best

Hockeyis#1
09-04-2009, 06:28 PM
That Duffee kid could be somebody to watch. At 23 years old, he's got a lot of room for improvement, and there are few camps better than ATT.

How could you tell? His fight lasted 7 seconds.

Did you miss the 2 fights with blitkrieg KOs? I thought the Vera fight, while a good technical battle, wasn't very "entertaining" but Leben/Rosholt & Jardine/Silva were good fights. It wasn't an A+ card, but I thought a solid B overall.

Zangetsu
09-04-2009, 06:53 PM
How could you tell? His fight lasted 7 seconds.
Duffee is very raw. He isn't like a lot of the other giant Heavyweights that the UFC have been bringing in. Most of the big up and comers have a wrestling pedigree, Carwin and Velasquez being the notable examples. As Joe Rogan mentions about 20 times per broadcast, wrestling is probably the best background to build from when starting a career in MMA.

Duffee started his training in combat sports as a boxer. Ironically, it was the embarrassment of being seen in a wrestling leotard that kept him from training in wrestling. Still, just by looking at the guy, you can tell he has great athleticism. Also, he's got a great work ethic, or at least he claims that he does. Besides, the guys at American Top Team wouldn't bring him in unless they saw something special in him.

So, IDK, while his UFC debut was definitely short, there is a lot about this kid to like. I'll be interested to see where he goes from here.

dw13
09-04-2009, 07:19 PM
Swick out of 103 with a concussion. I'm PISSED. Kampmann vs. Swick was going to be an absolute war.

mrtybrodur30
09-04-2009, 08:21 PM
The ball shot heard around the world! That was unfortunate. Ball shot or not that guy didn't really look in Gonzaga's league. But the shots that Chris took and still kept going was amazing. I thionk he knew it was his last UFC fight and just went for it.Sorry just read this now but how did he know it was his last UFC fight? It was his first fight in the UFC and also was really close to making TUF twice and really should have been on the upcoming season. The dude is a good fighter and is pretty well rounded in my opinion. I think if he didnt have his balls almost kicked off to start the fight it would have been a good fight. Really the fight should not have resumed as it should have been a no-contest after that brutal shot. Also before the fight he was signed to multi fight deal with the UFC btw.

mrtybrodur30
09-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Just wondering what everyone thinks been talking with some friends about this. Who do you think Thiago Silva will fight next? Alot of the top LHW have upcoming fights Machida/Shogun, Rashad/Rampage, lil Nog. I think Thiago vs Anderson Silva would be a very very good fight with alot of fireworks.(ofcourse we have yet to see what is going to happen at MW. Which I think they are going to end up doing Henderson/Marquardt for #1 contender) But other than Anderson who else is there? Maybe Forrest?

dw13
09-04-2009, 09:09 PM
Yeah the Tuch man isn't getting cut. They didn't put him in the house on TUF because they wanted him right into the UFC. He is here for a bit.

Silva vs. Cane is what I want to see. Bahna hasn't fought since Cantwell and I think its time. I'd say Lil Nog but it's too soon and Nog is fighting at 105 I think.

Thiago Silva vs. Anderson Silva would be a merk fest. Thiago has no chance on the feet, but if he took him down he would have a solid chance, just not sure he would do that.

Anderson will be fighting Hendo. I imagine they will tell Marquardt to wait and he gets the winner.

Zangetsu
09-04-2009, 09:10 PM
I think it has to be Forrest. As you said, everybody else is signed to fight soon. I read an article on Sherdog about Anderson taking a vacation. He didn't say how long he wanted to take off, but I don't think he'll be fighting again this year.

Paul Daley will be making his debut against Kampmann, in place of Swick. He's got some decent wins over guys like Professor X, Sammy Morgan, and Duane Ludwig, but I don't really know anything about the guy. Was he at the UK prelims for TUF USA vs. UK?

Edit: Forgot a Banha, but wouldn't that be a step backward for Silva? I'm not saying that I wouldn't want to see that fight, but I think Cane is still three fights from a title shot. A Forrest/Silva fight could earn the winner a ticket into a #1 contender match.

dw13
09-04-2009, 09:14 PM
Was he at the UK prelims for TUF USA vs. UK?

No he wasn't. I saw his fight against Shields and saw nothing impressive. I think Kampmann will work him pretty bad to be honest, I'm pissed Swick is out for the fight.. really unfortunately.

I hope and pray for Cane vs. Thiago Silva.

mrtybrodur30
09-04-2009, 09:51 PM
Yeah the Tuch man isn't getting cut. They didn't put him in the house on TUF because they wanted him right into the UFC. He is here for a bit.

Silva vs. Cane is what I want to see. Bahna hasn't fought since Cantwell and I think its time. I'd say Lil Nog but it's too soon and Nog is fighting at 105 I think.

Thiago Silva vs. Anderson Silva would be a merk fest. Thiago has no chance on the feet, but if he took him down he would have a solid chance, just not sure he would do that.

Anderson will be fighting Hendo. I imagine they will tell Marquardt to wait and he gets the winner.Yeah Lil Nog would be a good match with Silva but he is already fighting in England. I hope that Henderson gets the first shot at MW, but what would Marquardt do? wait or fight and risk losing, thats why im thinking its heading toward Hendo/Marquardt going at it. i would LOVE to see Anderson Silva vs Thiago would be awesome.

mrtybrodur30
09-04-2009, 10:01 PM
I think it has to be Forrest. As you said, everybody else is signed to fight soon. I read an article on Sherdog about Anderson taking a vacation. He didn't say how long he wanted to take off, but I don't think he'll be fighting again this year.

Paul Daley will be making his debut against Kampmann, in place of Swick. He's got some decent wins over guys like Professor X, Sammy Morgan, and Duane Ludwig, but I don't really know anything about the guy. Was he at the UK prelims for TUF USA vs. UK?

Edit: Forgot a Banha, but wouldn't that be a step backward for Silva? I'm not saying that I wouldn't want to see that fight, but I think Cane is still three fights from a title shot. A Forrest/Silva fight could earn the winner a ticket into a #1 contender match.Ah yeah i totally forgot about that Anderson vacation thing i read that as well damn lol. I also agree with you about Kane i really think Silva could be 1 huge fight like a Anderson Silva(if he wins) away from another title shot, most likely two though.

The LHW division is very interesting right now so many guys are at a very high caliber especially when you factor in Anderson Silva. The Rashad/Rampage fight will be tricky, if Rampage wins hes gonna be given a title fight but what happens if Rashad comes back and wins???? everything opens up and anyone can come through.

dw13
09-04-2009, 10:35 PM
How in the world could you think Thiago vs. Anderson would be good? Thiago is a standup man, and no one can stand with Anderson, it just simply cannot happen. Thiago would get KO'd worse than Lyoto did to him.

I think Marquardt will wait for his title shot.

mrtybrodur30
09-04-2009, 10:42 PM
How in the world could you think Thiago vs. Anderson would be good? Thiago is a standup man, and no one can stand with Anderson, it just simply cannot happen. Thiago would get KO'd worse than Lyoto did to him.

I think Marquardt will wait for his title shot.It doesnt mean Anderson cant face a standup fighter. Is he only gonna face grapplers from now on? Honestly a striker has a better shot at beating him than someone who has to get past A. Silva's striking game and then take him down, keep him down and then try to do something. I think it would be a good fight. It would be better than the Forrest fight.

dw13
09-04-2009, 10:44 PM
It doesnt mean Anderson cant face a standup fighter. Is he only gonna face grapplers from now on? Honestly a striker has a better shot at beating him than someone who has to get past A. Silva's striking game and then take him down, keep him down and then try to do something. I think it would be a good fight. It would be better than the Forrest fight.

Me fighting him would be better than the Forrest fight. I do get what your saying. I much rather see Page or Shad vs. Silva though. Lyoto KTFO of Silva, Anderson would do the same

dw13
09-04-2009, 11:40 PM
MMA live is saying Silva will be having Elbow surgery, so he will be on the shelf until 2010.

I'm guessing that makes it pretty sure that Nate vs. Hendo will happen.

Zangetsu
09-05-2009, 01:12 AM
MMA live is saying Silva will be having Elbow surgery, so he will be on the shelf until 2010.

I'm guessing that makes it pretty sure that Nate vs. Hendo will happen.Marquardt vs. Henderson would be a great match. I'd rather see the two of them face off than see either of them fight Anderson.

Silva would likely destroy either of them, but when matched up against each other, they could provide a really entertaining fight. Both are well rounded, but both seem to prefer the stand-up game. If that fight happens, I'll definitely be paying close attention.

Hockeyis#1
09-06-2009, 08:23 PM
Marquardt vs. Henderson would be a great match. I'd rather see the two of them face off than see either of them fight Anderson.

Silva would likely destroy either of them, but when matched up against each other, they could provide a really entertaining fight. Both are well rounded, but both seem to prefer the stand-up game. If that fight happens, I'll definitely be paying close attention.
I'd really like to See Anderson Silva/Hendo again

Zangetsu
09-08-2009, 10:07 AM
I know some MMA purists don't like the attention that The Ultimate Fighter reality show sometimes receives, but this season is going to be must see TV. Check out this preview.

Meet The Heavyweights | SPIKE

dw13
09-08-2009, 10:21 AM
As you guys know, I'm not a big fan of the TUF, just for some entertainment, really nothing more as of late.

That being said, I saw Greg Jackson there too.. so 3 of my most hated people in all of MMA are in this.. Jackson, Rashad and Kimbo. It'll be hard for me to watch, but I'll just watch for pure entertainment, and in hopes Kimbo gets dropped.

two24four
09-08-2009, 11:25 AM
I cant wait for this season to start, been waiting ever since I heard about this one, now Iam even more ready after watching that, one week tomorrow.

dw13
09-09-2009, 03:53 PM
I cant wait for this season to start, been waiting ever since I heard about this one, now Iam even more ready after watching that, one week tomorrow.

Doesn't mean as much either considering Rashad and Page are not fighting after.

Dubz
09-09-2009, 04:44 PM
I know some MMA purists don't like the attention that The Ultimate Fighter reality show sometimes receives, but this season is going to be must see TV. Check out this preview.

Meet The Heavyweights | SPIKE (http://www.spike.com/video/meet-heavyweights/3234203)

The dialog between those two coaches is exactly how I thought it would be.

Some more vids here:

http://www.spike.com/show/22307

Zangetsu
09-09-2009, 04:49 PM
Doesn't mean as much either considering Rashad and Page are not fighting after.Huh?

When did this happen? I saw that the fight was postponed, but that doesn't mean they aren't going to fight. Or did you just mean that they aren't fighting directly after the season ends?

dw13
09-09-2009, 05:05 PM
Huh?

When did this happen? I saw that the fight was postponed, but that doesn't mean they aren't going to fight. Or did you just mean that they aren't fighting directly after the season ends?

I just mean when directly. Takes away a bit from the show. Although, I'm sure Page and Shad get into it an amazing amount.

I just never have been big into TUF, and with the amount of fighters (and now Greg Jackson) involved, that I dislike... blah:p

two24four
09-09-2009, 05:13 PM
That does suck they are not fighting right after, but I still think this will be the best season yet of TUF, I cant wait, one week tonight.

dw13
09-09-2009, 05:16 PM
That does suck they are not fighting right after, but I still think this will be the best season yet of TUF, I cant wait, one week tonight.

Entertainment wise?

Zangetsu
09-09-2009, 05:55 PM
Talent wise, it's been all downhill since the first season.

Forrest Griffin, Mike Swick, Stephan Bonner, Diego Sanchez, Josh Koscheck, Kenny Florian, Nate Quarry, and Chris Leben is a pretty stacked roster, and there were a couple of other guys who got a look in the UFC after the season as well, but they're all gone now.

Season 2 wasn't bad. Rashad, Jardine, and Joe "Daddy" were all there, but Burkman, Gurgel, Guillard, and Marcus Davis aren't as good as the weaker guys from Season 1.

Since Season 2, there has never been more than a couple of notable guys in any season. Even the roster of "The Comeback" doesn't stack up.

This season won't match the first two seasons talent-wise, but in terms of pure athleticism, there's a lot of potential in the field.

two24four
09-09-2009, 06:49 PM
Talent wise, it's been all downhill since the first season.

Forrest Griffin, Mike Swick, Stephan Bonner, Diego Sanchez, Josh Koscheck, Kenny Florian, Nate Quarry, and Chris Leben is a pretty stacked roster, and there were a couple of other guys who got a look in the UFC after the season as well, but they're all gone now.

Season 2 wasn't bad. Rashad, Jardine, and Joe "Daddy" were all there, but Burkman, Gurgel, Guillard, and Marcus Davis aren't as good as the weaker guys from Season 1.

Since Season 2, there has never been more than a couple of notable guys in any season. Even the roster of "The Comeback" doesn't stack up.

This season won't match the first two seasons talent-wise, but in terms of pure athleticism, there's a lot of potential in the field.

Agreed, add that with all the entertainment we are about to see, it's going to be a great season IMO.

Between Rampage and Rashad going at eachother I bet pretty much every show, to every guy wanting at Kimbo, to 4 ex NFL-ers taking part, to Rampage saying he wants Kimbo on his team, etc... some of these boys are huge as well, they where making Rampage and Rashad look about 5 feet tall standing next to them.

There is going to be some good fights this season, with I'm sure some good KO's.

dw13
09-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Agreed, add that with all the entertainment we are about to see, it's going to be a great season IMO.

Between Rampage and Rashad going at eachother I bet pretty much every show, to every guy wanting at Kimbo, to 4 ex NFL-ers taking part, to Rampage saying he wants Kimbo on his team, etc... some of these boys are huge as well, they where making Rampage and Rashad look about 5 feet tall standing next to them.

There is going to be some good fights this season, with I'm sure some good KO's.

I see very little talent, but alot of athleticism. Season 1/2 were the only true seasons of talent rich fighters.. entertainment wise it could be good but I'm all about fighting.

I'll tune in to see opening fights to get a gauge of talent, but if I don't enjoy that, I doubt I'll be watching.

mrtybrodur30
09-11-2009, 09:10 PM
Rogerio Nog vs Luis Cane at 106, not bad at all.

two24four
09-16-2009, 05:36 PM
Should be a good night of fights followed by the 1st show of season 10 TUF.

Phillipe Nover had a seizure today in the locker room, so his fight with Sam Stout was called off tonight.

dw13
09-16-2009, 05:38 PM
Should be a good night of fights followed by the 1st show of season 10 TUF.

Phillipe Nover had a seizure today in the locker room, so his fight with Sam Stout was called off tonight.

Now that its confirmed that hes ok, I'm pissed. I wanted to see Sluggin Sam take his head off.

I'm MUCH more entertained by Huerta/Maynard then I am Diaz/Guillard.

mrtybrodur30
09-16-2009, 06:13 PM
Im very excited for the main event. I really like watching Guillard fight he goes in to knock people out, I think Diaz will def try to take the fight to the ground though despite his claims.

two24four
09-16-2009, 10:45 PM
Abe took a shit kicking. So far so good IMO.

dw13
09-16-2009, 10:52 PM
Abe took a shit kicking. So far so good IMO.

Hopefully the fighting gets much better. Wrestler faked touching gloves just so he could take the kid down, then on the ground Abe didn't bother to look for a submission, move his hips or try to get up.

Hopefully we see a higher quality of fighting in the upcoming fights.

I was pleased to see Diaz choke Guillards lights out, and was really surprised by Ellenberger vs. Condit. I like Condits game and Ellenberger had him on the ropes early with some huge power hands, but Condit was resilient and took it out in 2nd and 3rd. Huerta needs to keep fighting, not acting, he is very damn skilled.

two24four
09-16-2009, 10:55 PM
Guillard got alittle to cocky in the fight, throwing himself back into the cage to make it look like he was hurt or winded, then fall into Diaz which was a bad move as he found out.

Dubz
09-16-2009, 10:56 PM
Did you see that gash? Cant they throw a towel in?

I loved Rampages coaching advice while the guy (Abe) was getting raped...."Do what ya gotta do man" Seriously, Rampage is not very intelligent at all.

two24four
09-16-2009, 10:58 PM
Did you see that gash? Cant they throw a towel in?

I loved Rampages coaching advice while the guy (Abe) was getting raped...."Do what ya gotta do man" Seriously, Rampage is not very intelligent at all.

Yeah that gash was gross.

Rampage is funny as hell thou, "he's doing the same damn move every time man, damn" then he walks off all mad, he just picked a bad 1st fight, that's all, it will get better.

"Look at them titty's" hahaha.

dw13
09-16-2009, 11:01 PM
Yeah that gash was gross.

Rampage is funny as hell thou, "he's doing the same damn move every time man, damn" then he walks off all mad, he just picked a bad 1st fight, that's all, it will gett better.

"Look at them titty's" hahaha.

Haha yeah Rampage actually had me dying. I would be pissed too, after watching the guy have no activity on the bottom, just a bad fighter I agree... lets hope it gets better.

Rampage didn't seem too bad of a coach when it was Page/Forrest, so I'm sure it was all for the TV cameras :p

I want to see Rashad get into it with Roy Nelson next week.

BTW Dub that gash was SICK!

two24four
09-16-2009, 11:05 PM
Haha yeah Rampage actually had me dying. I would be pissed too, after watching the guy have no activity on the bottom, just a bad fighter I agree... lets hope it gets better.

Rampage didn't seem too bad of a coach when it was Page/Forrest, so I'm sure it was all for the TV cameras :p

I want to see Rashad get into it with Roy Nelson next week.

BTW Dub that gash was SICK!

For sure, last guy standing when they are making there picks, Rampage looks past him & says "I will take that camera guy over there" :lol:

Zangetsu
09-16-2009, 11:25 PM
That first fight was pretty pathetic. Rampage may be an above average fighter, but he is not a good coach. "Get up, get up" is not exactly the best advice. That's like an NFL coach telling his QB, "Throw a TD" on every play.

I'm still going to watch the rest of the season, but considering that the banter between Rampage and Rashad was the highlight of the first episode, I'm predicting a bunch of sloppy fights between massive guys. The fact that a smaller guy won would be reassuring if he didn't just lie on a non-wrestler for ten minutes. Hopefully, things improve from here, but I'm not optimistic.

Chilly_Willy
09-17-2009, 07:26 PM
That first fight was pretty pathetic. Rampage may be an above average fighter, but he is not a good coach. "Get up, get up" is not exactly the best advice. That's like an NFL coach telling his QB, "Throw a TD" on every play.

I'm still going to watch the rest of the season, but considering that the banter between Rampage and Rashad was the highlight of the first episode, I'm predicting a bunch of sloppy fights between massive guys. The fact that a smaller guy won would be reassuring if he didn't just lie on a non-wrestler for ten minutes. Hopefully, things improve from here, but I'm not optimistic.

It was the first time I watched ultimate fighter and I was not impressed. Kimbo shoulda just been on the show instead of all the theatrics and ass kiss by rampage. Rampage's team is all the characters and Rishad picked the talent. Given your observation on how bad Rampage is as a coach and the fragile nature of some of his fighters I think team Richad is going to walk all over.

Also I can't belive they let that fight go on, was that guy's skull fractured? That was grose. Also the guy that won his sportsmanship is terible, to not touch glove then to pretend to want to the next round and shoot just prior to the touch. I hope someone beats his face in.

dw13
09-19-2009, 11:19 PM
Great to see my boy Vitor back with some class. Anderson better have his eye on the TV because Vitor is fast approaching. Solid night of fights, and good bye to Cro Cop, tough to see him exit that way as he pretty much quit, IMO.

Zangetsu
09-20-2009, 01:03 AM
I was such a big fan of CroCop when he was in Pride. I don't know what happened to him, but I have to agree, he's done. He's a shell of his former self, and even though the UFC signed him for three fights (IIRC), I hope he just leaves.

mrtybrodur30
09-20-2009, 08:44 PM
So first Dana White was asked after UFC 100 is Dan Henderson next to fight Anderson for the 185 Title and he clearly says yes. Then all of a sudden before UFC 102 he's hyping up the fight saying the winner of Marquardt/Maia will be the #1 contender and face Anderson????...........NOW he's saying oh no Vitor Belfort is now the #1 contender and should face Anderson asap(whenever Anderson gets back) leaving Henderson and Marquardt to fight each other.

I also like how he says Fedor isnt even one of the top 10 MMA fighters out there right now. :rolleyes:

dw13
09-20-2009, 08:47 PM
So first Dana White was asked after UFC 100 is Dan Henderson next to fight Anderson for the 185 Title and he clearly says yes. Then all of a sudden before UFC 102 he's hyping up the fight saying the winner of Marquardt/Maia will be the #1 contender and face Anderson????...........NOW he's saying oh no Vitor Belfort is now the #1 contender and should face Anderson asap(whenever Anderson gets back) leaving Henderson and Marquardt to fight each other.

I think you will see 2 of the 3 fight before they get a shot. I think it'll be Nate vs. Vitor

Chilly_Willy
09-21-2009, 11:01 AM
When is episode 2, does anyone know? Spike says tuesday at 3am. Seriously?

two24four
09-21-2009, 11:23 AM
When is episode 2, does anyone know? Spike says tuesday at 3am. Seriously?

That's not even an episode from this season. The new one for this week is on Wednesday at 10pm, check out Spike's Schedule for the week, it's on there.

Chilly_Willy
09-21-2009, 01:25 PM
Cool, thanks!!

Hockeyis#1
09-22-2009, 08:36 AM
Rampage may be an above average fighter...
:wtf:
Above average? I guess Kurt Warner is an above average QB then, and Nik Backstrom is an above average goaltender.

Zangetsu
09-22-2009, 12:34 PM
I think we may have more of a misunderstanding in our definitions of the term "above average" than we do on our opinions of Rampage, but yeah, Rampage is an above average fighter (as vague and subjective a term as that is). I doubt he ever holds the UFC title again.

And for the record, Backstrom is definitely a borderline above average goalie. I'm thinking he takes a major step back this year under a new system.

mrtybrodur30
09-22-2009, 11:01 PM
I think we may have more of a misunderstanding in our definitions of the term "above average" than we do on our opinions of Rampage, but yeah, Rampage is an above average fighter (as vague and subjective a term as that is). I doubt he ever holds the UFC title again.

And for the record, Backstrom is definitely a borderline above average goalie. I'm thinking he takes a major step back this year under a new system.Looks like your right he said today he is not going to fight anymore and is retiring to become an actor. Wow didnt see that coming. Sucks cause a match with Rashad would have been a great one.

Zangetsu
09-23-2009, 12:08 AM
I just read the post on his website, and I have to say he sounds about as stupid in that post as he comes off as a coach on TUF. You landed one acting job because you're big, black, and funny, and you expect Hollywood to come calling again?

Rampage is an idiot. I was looking forward to the Rampage/Rashad fight (mostly because I was guaranteed to see one guy I wasn't a fan of get beat), but if all of this is true, Rampage will be to blame for the fight not happening. Let's hope Rampage comes to his senses soon.

dw13
09-23-2009, 10:37 AM
Punk move on Rampages part. Take TUF coach and then he isn't fighting anymore. Rashad (I don't like him but still) could of had 2 fights in the meantime. Have fun being an actor Rampage, you were never going to touch a title again either way

two24four
09-23-2009, 10:54 AM
Shitty I liked Rampage, I could see him come back at some point, he will miss it.

Dubz
09-23-2009, 07:27 PM
in⋅teg⋅ri⋅ty

-noun

1. Something Rampage Jackson doesnt possess

Zangetsu
09-23-2009, 09:02 PM
in⋅teg⋅ri⋅ty

-noun

1. Something Rampage Jackson doesnt possessHe does possess a kick ass truck with his likeness plastered on the side.

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00532/rampsx_682x400_532203a.jpg

Unfortunately, personalized vehicles don't make the best get away cars.

two24four
09-23-2009, 10:10 PM
Shitty fight tonight, both guys where done in for after, Wes is a big dude, but man he does not know what to do really.

Rashad was funny toight yelling at James during the fight with his voice cracking :lol:

Big fight next week, 1st look at Kimbo fighting.

Dubz
09-23-2009, 10:15 PM

I dont think the guy can beat Kimbo....he thinks hes too talented and is one of the fattest piles of shit ive seen in MMA.

Tonight was pretty bad....but once again the intelligence of Rampage shines through in fight selection. I think Wes could have beaten one of the lesser fighters but he puts him up against the top guy. dumb da dumb dumb dummb

Anyways...pretty pumped for next week.

Zangetsu
09-23-2009, 10:57 PM
Did anybody else crack up at that insane looking single leg that Wes went for? It looked like he was trying to help the Brit do a back flip or something.

Nelson/Kimbo should be interesting. Had Affliction and EliteXC survived, Kimbo and Nelson may have wound up fighting on PPV or CBS, so this is definitely going to be a good test for both of them. Kimbo probably has an advantage in power, but Big Country is well rounded and much more athletic than he looks. I'm taking Nelson.

Chilly_Willy
09-25-2009, 02:25 PM
Shitty fight tonight, both guys where done in for after, Wes is a big dude, but man he does not know what to do really.

Rashad was funny toight yelling at James during the fight with his voice cracking :lol:

That was rashad's voice lol? I want kimbo to win but I think Big country is easily underestimated. Kimbo is such a noob to well rounded fighting skills, If big country keeps it simple and clinches and goes to the ground Kimbo is is trouble. This is a huge fight for both men and I think they both realize it. Aside from the fighting big country's attitude is kind of a bummer. I understand he's been there done that but he is being a pain in the ass for everyone.

Last weeks fight was hilarious, both guys with their hands on their hips lol. I think they didn't call it a draw because they didn't have a defibulator.

dw13
09-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Did anybody else crack up at that insane looking single leg that Wes went for? It looked like he was trying to help the Brit do a back flip or something.

Nelson/Kimbo should be interesting. Had Affliction and EliteXC survived, Kimbo and Nelson may have wound up fighting on PPV or CBS, so this is definitely going to be a good test for both of them. Kimbo probably has an advantage in power, but Big Country is well rounded and much more athletic than he looks. I'm taking Nelson.

I figured this would be the matchup. Kimbo can lose, and still people will say 'Hey he fought a top 15 HW' or he can win, and instantly be on the map and surely a UFC contract, IMO.

And yes, Wes looked goofy as hell with that single leg :lol:

Chilly_Willy
09-25-2009, 09:08 PM
http://www.examiner.com/x-22928-SF-MMA-Examiner~y2009m9d24-MMA-superstar-Mirko-Cro-Cop-retires-from-the-sport

Mirko Krocop announces retirement

Zangetsu
09-26-2009, 04:19 PM
As a fan of his, even I think he's making the right decision.

In other news, it looks like Belfort/Silva is going to happen in January.

http://sherdogblog.craveonline.com/blog/2009-09-26#19964

Hockeyis#1
09-26-2009, 07:51 PM

And for the record, Backstrom is definitely a borderline above average goalie. I'm thinking he takes a major step back this year under a new system.
I'd consider Rampage as one of the best LHWs in the world, which is saying something considering how deep that division is.

Above average is pretty self explanatory term, I thought. Up until this season, I'dve called Jake Delhomme an above average QB. I'd call Huet an above average goalie. Spencer Fisher comes to mind for above average fighters.

dw13
09-26-2009, 07:52 PM
I'd consider Rampage as one of the best LHWs in the world, which is saying something considering how deep that division is.

Above average is pretty self explanatory term, I thought. Up until this season, I'dve called Jake Delhomme an above average QB. I'd call Huet an above average goalie. Spencer Fisher comes to mind for above average fighters.

It's all a matter of opinion, man.

Zangetsu
09-26-2009, 08:09 PM
Not only is it a matter of opinion, it's a matter of context. I probably should've said that he is (was) an above average UFC LHW. Though, it doesn't really matter anymore. Now he's just a shitty actor.

Jake
09-26-2009, 08:16 PM
With Dana there is ALWAYS more to the story than we find out and when things dont go his way you can count on him to talk shit about the other guy. because of that I believe a lot of what Rampage says. You know Dana had issues with him going to act, afterall Rampage is a huge moneymaker for him. You heard Dana talking shit about it before Rampage even decided on doing it, I'm sure that prompted his decision as well. Looking long term acting is not a bad choice, it is better for your health than getting your brains beat and probably easier than having to train for all of the fights and pays about the same.

As far as coaching goes, they gave him that because he is a personality. Lets face it, he is a shitty coach- he already proved that- but he is funny as hell and brings in the ratings. Rampage also claims the only reason he took the Evans fight and agreed to coach again is because at the time Evans had the belt and he thought it would be his chance to reclaim the belt. He didnt see Machida beating Evans.

dw13
09-26-2009, 08:43 PM
Rampage also claims the only reason he took the Evans fight and agreed to coach again is because at the time Evans had the belt and he thought it would be his chance to reclaim the belt. He didnt see Machida beating Evans.

I'm fairly confident that it was the winner of Machida vs. Evans was going to be the other coach, instead after Machida won, Rampage said he wanted Evans no matter what, he didn't want the belt. Then he dodged the fight for the acting, then he dodged it in general for the acting. It's an absolute joke, he stabbed the UFC in the back with it. TUF loses alot of meaning because they will not fight. Dana probably wouldn't let Rampage back, either way after doing that.

Chilly_Willy
09-27-2009, 02:09 PM
I've never been a big fan of rampage. So I won't miss him from the MMA scene. But it is certainly a really crummy way to go. What the heck language does that guy speak its not even ebonics. He says a lot of things using anecdotes that make little if any sense LOL. One of those guys that's like "badabdubdabdb daey and then I was like heeeeeeeeeeeee no wht I'm sayn" and totally thinks your in the conversation and you just nodd because understanding is not worth it anyway.

Hockeyis#1
09-27-2009, 10:06 PM
Dana probably wouldn't let Rampage back, either way after doing that.
I'd bet money if Rampage wanted to fight in the UFC, Dana would let him

dw13
09-27-2009, 10:20 PM
I'd bet money if Rampage wanted to fight in the UFC, Dana would let him

Maybe in a years time, anytime soon he will tell him to stick it, I'm sure. Losing him doesn't affect much to me, or Dana I'd think. He was never going to regain the title

Jake
09-28-2009, 10:07 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Griffin-not-ready-to-talk-about-UFC-101-says-he;_ylt=AtW_onIkqBB2td_kUhZ.fag9Eo14?urn=mma,19257 2

Recent Griffin interview. Rumors are he will fight Franklin or Ortiz next. He has really changed since Silva administered a solid ass beating at his expense. Check out the video

Zangetsu
09-29-2009, 01:34 AM
I like Griffin. He isn't the most skilled fighter, but he's got "heart." Whatever that means, I hope Forrest succeeds. If he fights Ortiz I think he'll dominate, but I hate Ortiz, so I might be biased. Franklin vs. Griffin would be an absolute brawl.

Chilly_Willy
09-29-2009, 11:18 AM
I like Griffin too but the Silva fight did show that a very techincal and skilled fighter can have his way with Griffin. His title days may be mostly over but if UFC schedules the right fights he is a very entertaining fighter.

dw13
09-30-2009, 10:03 PM
Well we learned from Kimbo what we already knew, he can stand up very well but he lacks any wrestling ability whatsoever. If he could possibly learn some, and keep his takedown defense up, he could be alright. Props to him in that fight, Big Country is really a consenus Top 15-20 HW in the world and he had him clipped.

I'd imagine at any chance they will bring back Kimbo, and I'd love to see him fight against some of the rest of the house. Again, props to Kimbo, he impressed me a little bit and the episode made me realize he really wants to be a Mix Martial Artist. (Not to mention he is at ATT training full time now I hear).

He also tipped his hand that he will be fighting in December, again that isn't a surprise. He puts asses in seats for Dana.

Dubz
09-30-2009, 10:18 PM
Yeah...the BS between Rashad and Rampage "the dumbest fucker in MMA" Jackson is already getting old. Still a bit funny but old.

I was a little thrown by the way they handled Kimbos training/prep for the fight and the actual reaction by the Rampage afterwards. He trained alot of bottom then said after the fight he couldnt move the moon? My biggest peeve is hypocrites and Rampage is officially on that list (especially after his movie star quest) I think if Kimbo would have trained for the takedown defence/knockout he would have had a much better chance of winning. All in all that was just another crappy fight that this season will become known for....somebody called it and Im quickly becoming a believer. Crap.

dw13
09-30-2009, 10:19 PM
somebody called it and Im quickly becoming a believer. Crap.

Was that someone me? :D

two24four
09-30-2009, 10:19 PM
Iam liking Kimbo more & more, he just needs to learn some ground game & I think he will be fine.

Big Country won sure, good for him, but it was nothing to write home about, like Dana said after the fight was over his punches looked like a 5 year old throwing punches, they really did not look all that hard, Kimbo just could not do anything about it with that big belly laying on his head.

I doubt that's the last fight Kimbo has in the house.

dw13
09-30-2009, 10:23 PM
Iam liking Kimbo more & more, he just needs to learn some ground game & I think he will be fine.

I do have respect for Kimbo as a person now, but the thing about the whole he needs to learn ground game. That doesn't come over night, or in a month. He doesn't have a wrestling background like most do, and he is up there in age. I do get what your saying though, but I think Kimbo is much more suited for boxing.

I doubt that's the last fight Kimbo has in the house.

Agreed.

two24four
09-30-2009, 10:26 PM
Well again like Dana said after, Kimbo just needs to take everything in now, learn, learn & learn some more while he's around these guys. He's got the power to knock someone out one punch that's for damn sure.

dw13
09-30-2009, 10:28 PM
Well again like Dana said after, Kimbo just needs to take everything in now, learn, learn & learn some more while he's around these guys. He's got the power to knock someone out one punch that's for damn sure.

No doubt. Definitely has stand up, if he can get in the gym at ATT, full time for the next 6 months and work on his wrestling, he could be vastly improved and be a serviceable HW. Although, he has already tipped his hand in fighting in December.

Chilly_Willy
09-30-2009, 11:15 PM
I would have liked to see Kimbo squirm a bit more, when he got his feet on the cage he almost flipped him over but then an avalanch of fat rolled back over him.

I came to like both fighters more with this match. I still think big country has an awful attitude but he is a good fighter. Kimbo has so much potential but desperatly needs takedown defense, fighting from his back, and escaping the clinch. I don't disagree with ending the fight but the blubber pin tap tap tap to the head was pretty lame.

Zangetsu
09-30-2009, 11:33 PM
Just watched the fight. My reactions are essentially the same as what you guys have already been talking about. Kimbo's not a bad guy, and he seems to really want to improve, but I just don't think he'll ever quite put it all together. It does seem likely that he'll get another fight. There haven't been many injury free TUF seasons.

Chilly_Willy
10-01-2009, 08:51 AM
Just watched the fight. My reactions are essentially the same as what you guys have already been talking about. Kimbo's not a bad guy, and he seems to really want to improve, but I just don't think he'll ever quite put it all together. It does seem likely that he'll get another fight. There haven't been many injury free TUF seasons.

During the preview of next week it looked like Kimbo might even fight due to injury next week but of course its in the shows best interest to make you think Kimbo will fight every week LOL

two24four
10-01-2009, 11:20 AM
During the preview of next week it looked like Kimbo might even fight due to injury next week but of course its in the shows best interest to make you think Kimbo will fight every week LOL

I think that was for more down the road in the show, I dont think all that was for next week.

dw13
10-01-2009, 11:23 AM
And not to mention, later on in the preview for next week... Marcus Jones is walking down the hall to his fight. So I do agree with 24, it's a setup for later... not next week.

two24four
10-01-2009, 11:24 AM
Marcus Jones better be ready, his knee looked like it was giving him some big time probs last night, he could not even walk right.

Dubz
10-01-2009, 07:07 PM
Has it been leaked Kimbo wins this shit? Rumour....or fact?

dw13
10-01-2009, 07:13 PM
Has it been leaked Kimbo wins this shit? Rumour....or fact?

The Finale is live in December.. so no one has 'won' it yet. He has said himself he is prepping for a fight in December, which leads people to believe he either is in that final, or he is fighting on that card.

Dubz
10-01-2009, 07:18 PM
The Finale is live in December.. so no one has 'won' it yet. He has said himself he is prepping for a fight in December, which leads people to believe he either is in that final, or he is fighting on that card.

Do you know everything?:lol:

I was hoping he made it. Dont like to start/pass on rumours.

dw13
10-01-2009, 10:42 PM
Do you know everything?:lol:

I was hoping he made it. Dont like to start/pass on rumours.

I'm an MMA nut, I'm sure Zang would of said the same thing if he got to it before me. :)

two24four
10-08-2009, 12:47 AM
Rampage is starting to take all these L's to heart now, he's getting pissed now. I could not believe the dude tapped out when he did, it really did not look like he had him all that much, but I guess you never know, that was his fight to lose thou. Getting ugly for Rampage's team.

dw13
10-08-2009, 12:52 AM
Rampage is starting to take all these L's to heart now, he's getting pissed now. I could not believe the dude tapped out when he did, it really did not look like he had him all that much, but I guess you never know, that was his fight to lose thou. Getting ugly for Rampage's team.

Just like Lesnar in his first fight vs. Mir, if you are not used to submissions, or haven't been practicing Jiu Jitsu that long, an anaconda choke like that, will cause you to tap pretty quick. I thought it was pretty tight and it was going to be ended with it.

Brock could of easily pushed his other leg on Frank's ass in that fight and probably pulled his leg out. The comparison is, neither of them composed themselves when they were caught, got their mindset right and found a way out. Jiu Jitsu defense, neither have/had it.

I wanted to see more of Schaubs' stand up though, to be honest.

Jake
10-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Forrest (replacing Coleman) to take on Tito on Nov. 21st

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=Ag9ALUmiG1XYCT7xPKeBsM89Eo14?slug=ki-ortizgriffin100809&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

edit: Anybody else hear Dana on Rome???? He says the first four fights suck and the last four are great. He also said Evans has a whole new respect for Kimbo and is even training him now that filming is done.

dw13
10-08-2009, 10:33 PM
I don't think Forrest is in any state of mind to take on this fight. I like Tito in it. The fact that he has cleaned up his striking, and his wrestling base, I think he beats Forrest again. That being said, Tito is coming off a 2 year layoff.. who knows! Good replacement though

two24four
10-09-2009, 12:22 AM
This wont be a bad fight IMO, anything could happen really.

How funny would it be if Forrest ran into the ring for this :lol: heard some people talking about this on the radio the other day.

Hockeyis#1
10-09-2009, 12:15 PM
"I genuienly don't like myself, so for other people to say that they like is just...."
-Forrest Griffin

Zangetsu
10-10-2009, 08:27 PM
I just finished watching Dream 11. It was a pretty good card, not the best but solid.

Minowaman is just awesome. He isn't a spectacular fighter, but the guy will literally fight anybody. In this match he beat a guy who was literally twice his size (Minowaman weighs ~180lbs, Hong-man Choi weighs ~350lbs). He represents everything that is good about MMA. He is one of the most entertaining and passionate fighters you'll find.

It was good to see Saku get a win, but it would've been a massive disappointment had he lost, considering his opponent. Saku's a legend, but I really don't think he should still be fighting at his age. His body doesn't look like it will take much more abuse.

Aoki won another controversial fight, but at least he didn't cry until the judges declared it a no contest. He also called out the UFC again. I hope he eventually comes over to fight some of the top UFC guys. He'd get some wins, but guys like BJ and Florian would destroy him.

The FW Final was fight of the night. I couldn't find a video with English commentary, but here's a Japanese version.

YouTube - DREAM.11 ˜谷•‹VSƒ“ƒ“‚ƒƒŽƒƒ•‚ƒƒŠƒƒ‡ ‚

It's Bibiano Fernandez vs. Hiroyuki Takaya.

Dream 12 will take place on Oct. 26th, and they will be moving to a cage. It's being dubbed as an experiment, so the change might not be permanent. The card is stacked (or at least as stacked as a non-Zuffa card can be).

One last comment, HDNet has to get rid of this Aussie commentator, Schiavello. He's annoying and obnoxious. Bring back Bas!!!

dw13
10-10-2009, 08:36 PM
You said it all about Dream 11, Zang. It was a good event, including the Aoki fight. I thought he was out from the upkick but it was a good call on the groin shot, IMO. He is so slick on the ground, and it sounds like he really is willing to come to the UFC at some point (I hope he does).

WEC soon, and some good MMA in the next 2 months or so!

Back to the Gator Game

mrtybrodur30
10-10-2009, 11:30 PM
What a fight Cerrone and Henderson, close close fight. How Henderson got out of all those submission attempts i have no idea. great fight though. Really could have went either way.

dw13
10-10-2009, 11:32 PM
What a fight Cerrone and Henderson, close close fight. How Henderson got out of all those submission attempts i have no idea. great fight though. Really could have went either way.

Thought Cerrone should of won it, but holy cow, Henderson has no bones in his body. His arm should of been snapped, and he should of went to sleep on TWO super-guillotines, that's incredible.

Cerrone/Varner II is what I wanted, and I think Donald won the fight, but Henderson is a tough dude

Zangetsu
10-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Just watched the WEC card. Not much to talk about on the undercard, but the Main Event was incredible. There's been a lot of great fights this year, but this one would be in the discussion for FOTY.

FWIW, I had Cerrone winning rounds 1, 4, and 5, but it was a very close fight. Henderson was awesome. He survived at least four submissions that would've finished most guys.

two24four
10-15-2009, 01:32 AM
I called tonight's fight as soon as I saw who was fighting. Another lame fight by Rampage's team.

dw13
10-15-2009, 01:34 AM
I called tonight's fight as soon as I saw who was fighting. Another lame fight by Rampage's team.

You really thought Wren was going to beat Sims?

two24four
10-15-2009, 01:36 AM
You really thought Wren was going to beat Sims?

Yup, just had a feeling before the fight.

Zangetsu
10-15-2009, 12:24 PM
I never thought I would say this, but the show is really changing my opinion of Rashad. His first stint on the show made me hate him, but while I still think he's arrogant, at least he is mature and respectful, two things that can't be said about Rampage.

two24four
10-15-2009, 12:53 PM
I never thought I would say this, but the show is really changing my opinion of Rashad. His first stint on the show made me hate him, but while I still think he's arrogant, at least he is mature and respectful, two things that can't be said about Rampage.

Agreed, I really like how Rashad goes over to talk to Rampage's guys after they have lost, I hope one day Rampage comes back to the UFC so we can see these two fight. I still like Rampage, I just dont think he's cut out to be a coach.

dw13
10-15-2009, 07:52 PM

I agree, I know its reality TV and they've made Rashad truly the good guy, but I don't mind him as a person. I don't like anyone who fights out of Greg Jackson's camp, and never will but Rashad seems like a nice guy.

Cocky SOB in the cage though.

boredguy
10-15-2009, 08:29 PM
Agreed, I really like how Rashad goes over to talk to Rampage's guys after they have lost, I hope one day Rampage comes back to the UFC so we can see these two fight. I still like Rampage, I just dont think he's cut out to be a coach.

I know MMA guys hate comparisons to pro wrestling but man are they ever setting this up as a heel/face thing between those 2. If they're not just playing this up for the cameras to get some more publicity (which is most likely) Rampage is just a huge jackass.

Chilly_Willy
10-16-2009, 03:42 PM
I'm with you guys. I did not like Rashad at all from his fighting days but I am really impressed with him in the show. Maybe he has matured or maybe he is hamming it up for the camera but he seems geniounly like a thoughtful individual and a good coach. Of course winning so handedly easily brings out your best so maybe if it were closerer we'd see some more crummy Rashad but so far he has been the much better sport even on the winning side. Rampage is nothing more than a fighter, he is not greater than the sum of his parts by far.

When Rashad went over and called him selfish for walking out on his fighters I bet that stuck with him all week.

Rampage's team is running out of guys that can talk smack. Their biggest smack talker just went unconcious from a triangle choke in under a minute. Maybe we will hear less from him now.

Hockeyis#1
10-17-2009, 01:00 AM
Yeah, Rampage is entertaining, he's funny, he is/was a top LHW, he's not a coach. Atleast he knows it.

Rashad is 100% right though about going into the cage post-bout to support your fighter.

So far it seems like none of Team Rampage's fighters have any ground game. Taken down easily, Team Rashad goes practically from takedown straight to full mount, then the fight ends shortly afterward....Dana White said the first 4 were very uninteresting fights where as the last 4 were amazing....so we'll have to see

ih8music
10-17-2009, 01:21 AM
so who's the worst TUF coach of all time - Rampage or Shamrock?

Zangetsu
10-17-2009, 01:39 AM
so who's the worst TUF coach of all time - Rampage or Shamrock?It's really not even close. At least Shamrock realized that a loss for his team also meant that his fighter lost.

Dubz
10-17-2009, 07:11 AM
Probably old news to you guys but Henderson wants too much money...

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=Av.4ZKFGWNV8gAJEJtpIqZBShgM6?slug=ki-henderson101609&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

mrtybrodur30
10-17-2009, 07:17 PM
Interesting, I hope that he comes to an agreement with StrikeForce that would be sweet to see him fight Mousasi not to mention Hendo can fight at different weight's pretty easy, would be a good signing if money allows.

Chilly_Willy
10-21-2009, 02:50 PM
Can't wait for ultimate fighter tonight!

two24four
10-21-2009, 03:13 PM
Hope it's a good one tonight.

dw13
10-21-2009, 04:29 PM
Interesting, I hope that he comes to an agreement with StrikeForce that would be sweet to see him fight Mousasi not to mention Hendo can fight at different weight's pretty easy, would be a good signing if money allows.

Mousasi would be the only fight I'd like to see him. I think at some point he will reach the agreement with the UFC, I'm sure.

I cannot wait until Mousasi comes over though. One of my favorite fighters.

mrtybrodur30
10-21-2009, 05:54 PM
I really dont see Mousasi going to the UFC anytime soon, it could happen eventually but not for a couple years atleast.

dw13
10-21-2009, 06:03 PM
I really dont see Mousasi going to the UFC anytime soon, it could happen eventually but not for a couple years atleast.

He already said he wants to come. It'll be a matter of time, maybe a couple years, maybe a year.

mrtybrodur30
10-21-2009, 10:47 PM
He already said he wants to come. It'll be a matter of time, maybe a couple years, maybe a year. Hmm... I have never heard him say he wants to fight in the UFC. Either way I see him Staying in Strikeforce for a long time and being one of the key guys to build StrikeForce up even bigger. He said he really likes StrikeForce, plus he can still fight Overseas with Dream etc... He probably cant be too happy that UFC didnt even offer or even talk to him after Affliction went under.

dw13
10-21-2009, 11:00 PM
http://www.mmaconvert.com/2009/09/29/gegard-mousasi-hopes-to-one-day-become-a-ufc-champion/

I know that the best fighters in my weight fight in the UFC but Im still young and very happy with Strikeforce as a company. Ive signed a contract with them and I will fight the fights they give meThere are so many things possible in a short time, maybe I lose two times and the UFC doesnt want me at all. Thats why I focus on one fight at a time. My goal in the future is of course to become UFC champion but Im not in a rush. Im happy with Strikeforce now and thats the most important things. Im now champion and want to defend with honor and dignity. Its up to fighters like Fedor, Alistair and me to show great fights and make Strikeforce look good. I still believe Strikeforce is the company with the most growth potential. By the way maybe the UFC champions will come to Strikeforce and challenges us for the belt (laughs).

two24four
10-21-2009, 11:33 PM
So what happend on the show tonight? I ended up missing it.

two24four
10-22-2009, 12:26 AM
Never mind, I just read about, sounds like I missed a pretty good show tonight, hope I can catch it on again sometime soon.

Rampage team 0-6, yikes.

Chilly_Willy
10-22-2009, 07:36 AM
It was a good show I think both teams thought they matched up the 2 weakest fighters but because they were well matched it ended up being a pretty good fight. I'm also glad Schoonover stepped up on Rampage at the fight selection. He is such a loud mouth and it was nice to see someone other than Rashad tell him to use his inside voice. I know that its hard to maintain character when loosing so bad but Rampage has to be one of the biggest jackasses I've ever seen on TV. All his team has left are practical jokes.

P.S. Darrill Schoonover's Tattoo, WTF

two24four
10-22-2009, 11:05 AM
I found it on youtube & watched it, not bad, give Rampage one thing thou, he's pretty funny.

Titties :lol:

I like what Dana said as well, about Schoonover better watch what he says calling Rampage on like he was, because Rampage would wipe the floor with him. Even Dana was laughing about the Titties, haha.

Hockeyis#1
10-22-2009, 01:20 PM
It was a good show I think both teams thought they matched up the 2 weakest fighters but because they were well matched it ended up being a pretty good fight

Yeah, it's typically a bad idea to ignore the fact that you're in a triangle during your GnP.

P.S. Darrill Schoonover's Tattoo, WTF
:lol: Thought the same thing

dw13
10-22-2009, 01:22 PM
I find it funny he calls him Titties... I think he is the only guy in the house that fights at 205 normally

Hockeyis#1
10-22-2009, 01:40 PM
I find it funny he calls him Titties... I think he is the only guy in the house that fights at 205 normally
All of the out of shape looking guys are on Team Rashad though, and yet they're winning

Zangetsu
10-23-2009, 03:30 AM
While I know that Shogun is the overwhelming underdog in this weekend's fight, I'm keeping the faith. Shogun is as athletic and talented as it comes in the LHW division. If anybody has a chance against Machida, it's Shogun. Everything I've read about Shogun's camp has been positive, and I wonder if Machida may underestimate his opponent in his first title defense. Either way, I fully expect Shogun to give "The Dragon" a run for his money in tomorrow night's fight.

dw13
10-23-2009, 10:13 AM
Champ Lyoto Machida vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua - 3rd Round TKO
Ben Rothwell vs. Cain Velasquez - Unanimous Decision
Josh Neer vs. Gleison Tibau - Unanimous Decision
Spencer Fisher vs. Joe Stevenson - Unanimous Decision * Fight of the Night for me
Anthony Johnson vs. Yoshiyuki Yoshida - Another Highlight Reel KO 1st Round

Chilly_Willy
10-23-2009, 10:26 AM
Tommrow can not come soon enough. Machida!!!

Did you see that resort his father owns that he trains at? Paradise!

Zangetsu
10-23-2009, 04:40 PM
Agree with dw's picks, with the obvious exception being Shogun over Machida. I know he's a long shot, but I'm hoping for an early round submission. I also think the Fischer/Stevenson fight could go either way. Joe Daddy needs to get the fight to the ground.

Can anyone explain to me the reasoning behind putting the Okami/Sonnen fight on the non-televised undercard? I can understand it not making the main card, but to not air it on the Spike show seems strange. I know it's been a while since Okami fought, but the guy is only a win or two away from a title shot. Sonnen is also a fairly popular fighter due to his time in WEC.

dw13
10-23-2009, 04:46 PM
Agree with dw's picks, with the obvious exception being Shogun over Machida. I know he's a long shot, but I'm hoping for an early round submission. I also think the Fischer/Stevenson fight could go either way. Joe Daddy needs to get the fight to the ground.

Can anyone explain to me the reasoning behind putting the Okami/Sonnen fight on the non-televised undercard? I can understand it not making the main card, but to not air it on the Spike show seems strange. I know it's been a while since Okami fought, but the guy is only a win or two away from a title shot. Sonnen is also a fairly popular fighter due to his time in WEC.

I think because of the fact that they are hoping airing fights on Spike will have people directly go buy the PPV (people who wouldn't consider it before) and Okami/Sonnen should be another dull fight. Two wrestling supremacists, but I do agree that Okami needs to be shown to the public more. Instead of setting him up with these boring fights, they need to give him a legit contender in the division and make his name known a bit more because he truly is one of the top 5 MW's in the division, without question.

Fischer is my boy and I think him and Joe Daddy are going to have a really good fight. By the way Zang, I have money on ShoGun from a month ago because I caught him so high... it was well worth the money, but if ShoGun can't get him down and submit him in the first 2 rounds, I think it'll be over in the next round.

Zangetsu
10-23-2009, 06:02 PM
Unfortunately, I agree. Shogun will expend way more energy than Machida, while doing less damage, if the fight remains standing, so he'll probably run out of gas towards the middle of the third round. This will leave him one wide punch away from getting dropped by a Machida counter. He really needs to get the fight to the ground to have any chance.

As for the logic of not airing the Okami fight on Spike, I agree that Okami's fights are a bit too deliberate to be enjoyed by the casual fan, but then why wouldn't they simply drop the Johnson/Yoshida match to the Spike card and slot the Okami fight as the second or third fight of the night on the PPV card? Johnson's fights are never dull, and he isn't nearly as big a name as Okami.

dw13
10-23-2009, 06:27 PM
Unfortunately, I agree. Shogun will expend way more energy than Machida, while doing less damage, if the fight remains standing, so he'll probably run out of gas towards the middle of the third round. This will leave him one wide punch away from getting dropped by a Machida counter. He really needs to get the fight to the ground to have any chance.

As for the logic of not airing the Okami fight on Spike, I agree that Okami's fights are a bit too deliberate to be enjoyed by the casual fan, but then why wouldn't they simply drop the Johnson/Yoshida match to the Spike card and slot the Okami fight as the second or third fight of the night on the PPV card? Johnson's fights are never dull, and he isn't nearly as big a name as Okami.

I agree man about Okami. I'd love to see him get a little more pub because he is a damn strong MW. Casual fans should get to know the guy like we do, because he is obviously a contender.

If Shogun gets it to the ground, it'll be very interesting.

dw13
10-23-2009, 08:26 PM
Anthony Johnson's cut went completely bad (He already walks around at rumored 205, which is nuts for a 170'er) and he missed weight by 5 pounds.. they agreed to still fight though.

Not to mention Neer and Tibau both missed weight. Neer is normally fine, but Tibau is another ATT'ers huge guys for his weight, and he had a rough cut I guess.

dw13
10-24-2009, 07:59 PM
Scratch that, Okami loses unanimously to Sonnen... Can't wait for tonight! Have fun guys

moans
10-24-2009, 09:18 PM
Anyone know what time they'll be showing the machida fight? Nice knockout by Johnson there

dw13
10-24-2009, 11:48 PM
If Anthony Johnson can continue to make weight at WW, he will be a force. Not many people can deal with his size, and we haven't seen his class wrestling lately either. Will be a rising force, and deserves a top notch fighter (Condit?) to prove his worth.

Joe Daddy did well against Spencer, and got him to the ground after a couple attempts and pounded him out, props to Joe Daddy he is still a middle of the pack LW in a stacked division.

Tibau/Neer wasn't anything special to me, good fight though.

Cain is a great wrestler, hasn't proven to me yet that he isn't pillowfisted and needs to keep up the work to prove the doubters. Early stoppage, but Cain was well on his way to winning that fight one way or another.

As much as I've fallen in love with Macheda recently, it was GREAT to see the old Shogun from the Pride days, and I'm sure you were pleased to Zang. But I think alot of people are going to simply go by what Joe was saying all night long about Shogun winning, when I thought all the rounds were really extremely close and could go either way. Both guys were worthy of the win, and both guys need to be back in the ring instantly for a rematch.

Shogun had a great plan and exposed holes in Lyoto's game I have simply never seen or didn't think were there. Shogun is back to his old ways and he is the #2 guy in the LHW division, IMO.

Zang, how did you score it? I initially had it 1st, 4th, 5th- Shotgun, 2nd, 3rd- Lyoto.. and the 5th was pretty close. I think Shogun did more damage, but Lyoto got the best of alot of exchanges.

Extremely close and a rematch should really be in order, I'm not sure Shogun should even have to fight again before the rematch, considering Rashad/Silva are fighting for a title shot and both have lost to him.

Get them back together for a rematch, it was a dandy.

Dubz
10-24-2009, 11:52 PM
I thought Shogun won...I was surprised with what little game the "champ" brought. Decent fight but lacked alot of emotion imo

Zangetsu
10-25-2009, 12:46 AM
1st, 4th, and 5th for Shogun. He got robbed. I honestly don't think Machida thought he won the fight.

Zangetsu
10-25-2009, 12:48 AM
Impressed with Rumble Johnson, too. Agreed that he could be a contender if he is able to make weight. I'd have more to say, but I'm still steaming a bit over the Shogun decision.

snoopzen
10-25-2009, 12:55 AM
I was in a bar watching the PPV, and the scoring for the Machida/Shogun fight was really a tossup. I had Shogun winning the 1st and 4th rounds, Machida winning the 2nd and 3rd. Other guys I was sitting with had Shogun taking the 2nd and up 3-1 at the start of the 5th round. Everyone at the table gave the last round to Shogun, and I think everyone else in the bar did as well, because they went nuts when the decision was announced.

It went kind of like this...

"The judges each scored the fight 48-47..."
OK, just like I thought.

"... For the winner, by unanimous decision... Leeee-"
Well, that's a weird way to start pronouncing Shogun's name.

"-oto Machida!!!"
WTF?!? :eek:

To be honest, I think the bar crowd was quite influenced by the play calling, although there was a lot of booing in the live audience as well. I know that Rogan was pretty outraged... Imagine asking Machida in the post-fight interview if he agreed with the decision. :wtf:

dw13
10-25-2009, 12:58 AM
To be honest, I think the bar crowd was quite influenced by the play calling, although there was a lot of booing in the live audience as well. I know that Rogan was pretty outraged... Imagine asking Machida in the post-fight interview if he agreed with the decision. :wtf:

Rogan was hugging Shoguns nuts, which is why alot of people will be so outraged. Again, I had it 3-2, and it coulda gone both ways. Very close fight

Zangetsu
10-25-2009, 01:33 AM
I think this is what happened. Rounds 1-3 were close enough that none of the judges wanted to be the first guy to score Machida as the loser of a round. Then in the fourth, when it was clear that Lyoto had sustained a lot more damage, it was too late for Shogun to win by decision.

This is one more reason why the "10-point must" scoring system doesn't work for MMA. When three rounds are close, and two rounds are one-sided, I've always been in favor of giving the fight to the guy who dominated the two rounds. Here's an example:

Round One: Fighter 1 gets a couple of takedowns, both of which are well defended. Fighter 1 eventually works the takedowns but isn't able to advance position or do much damage. Fighter 2 is winning the standup battle but isn't able to inflict significant damage.

Round Two: Same as round one.

Round Three: Fighter 2 dominates the round, and Fighter 1 is showing signs of fatigue. Fighter 2 really begins to put on some pressure in the last minutes, earning a clear knockdown, but as the ref is about to step in and stop the fight, the round ends.

Since nothing of note happened in either of the first two rounds, Fighter 1 wins both because of takedowns, despite the fact that Fighter 2 sustained almost no damage. Fighter 1 wins the fight 29-28 even though he can barely stand, while Fighter 2 looks like he hasn't even been in a fight.

If this fight were scored like fights are scored in Japan, Shogun would be the UFC LHW champ.

Zangetsu
10-25-2009, 02:33 AM
Fight metrics for the Machida/Shogun fight:

http://fightmetric.com/fights/Machida-Shogun.html

Zangetsu
10-25-2009, 02:36 AM
BTW, I don't mean any disrespect to Machida fans. I know dw13 and a few others are big Machida fans. I'm a fan myself, but Shogun has been my favorite fighter since 2004, so right now my frustration level is at 11 on a scale from 1 to 10.

mrtybrodur30
10-25-2009, 04:37 AM
Fight metrics for the Machida/Shogun fight:

http://fightmetric.com/fights/Machida-Shogun.htmlVery interesting! Thanks for posting never even heard of this site. BTW sorry Zang I was going for Rua as well I have only seen the first round and going to watch the rest in a bit but from all the comments I have seen here and else where it sounds like Rua should have been the winner. But we all know anything is possible in any fight ESPECIALLY if it goes to the cards.

Anthony Johnson looked like a machine out there like he was unstoppable! His next fight should be against someone in the upper-tier of the division someone from either the Hardy/Swick fight or the Fitch/Alves. Prob not Fitch/Alves since there fight is still some time away. If you take GSP out of the question for a second, 170 is very open. Alot of guys at the same level.

Zangetsu
10-25-2009, 04:54 AM
I actually mentioned to a couple of the guys that I watched tonight's event with that I'd like to see a Rumble/Alves match in the near future. Both guys are huge 170'ers. Alves has more credentials right now, but Rumble has looked great since the eye poke against Burns. While scheduling issues will probably prevent the fight from happening, Johnson is no more than two wins away from a title shot. Depending on his next fight, he may be one win away from a shot at GSP.

Zangetsu
10-25-2009, 05:39 AM
I really don't mean to put more emphasis on this decision than it deserves, but if you watch the UFC 104 post fight press conference, there's little doubt that the UFC brass feels that Shogun won this fight. Here's the video.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/16610/watch-tonights-ufc-104-post-fight-press-conference-live-on-mmajunkie-com.mma

Edit: Holy shit, Machida's response to the question at ~38 might as well be admitting that he lost. "I'll take what I learned from this fight, and I'll be a better fighter in my next match." Have you ever heard a fighter that won a fight talking like that? Machida knows he got lucky. I can't believe this shit happened. The judges of this fight should lose their credentials.

Zangetsu
10-25-2009, 06:03 AM
Shogun wins by majority decision. Oh, I mean more experts picked him to win.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/what-does-rest-world-think-machida-shogun-links-provided-1072862/

Actually, that looks pretty unanimous. I don't know if I'll ever get over this decision, but if Machida wins the rematch, I would be pissed if Shogun didn't get a third match.

dw13
10-25-2009, 08:01 AM
Actually, that looks pretty unanimous. I don't know if I'll ever get over this decision, but if Machida wins the rematch, I would be pissed if Shogun didn't get a third match.

I can feel ya man, but I scored it at home because I hate when Rogan starts losing his load over a fighter (Shogun last night) and I had it 3-2, with the 5th being the decider, so it could of gone either way for me. Alot of exchanges we saw, when they were done, all you heard was Rogan going crazy over a Shogun leg kick, but in the punching game I saw Lyoto win that side of it.

Either way, I do think Shogun should of win because of a bit more damage he did, but neither fighter imposed their will (which I guess is a credit to Shogun again for his patience) but he will be back, Zang, you know that as well. He might only have to fight once before a rematch

mrtybrodur30
10-25-2009, 09:15 AM
I dont know I know the UFC doesnt give rematches right away but Dana seems pissed and I think we could be seeing a rematch in FEB or something. But who knows whith Dana he says somethings then says 10 more different things so I guess we'll see.

Even though I dont really care for Dana White much I LOVE how he said in regard to the Rothwell/Velasquez fight "you know how I feel about Mazzagatti he shouldnt even be allowed to watch a MMA fight let alone ref it" LMAO thats classic I couldnt stop laughing at that one. Yeah Cain was dominating and probably would have kept doing more of the same but that was a terrible stoppage but like I said last night we all know anything can and will happen in this sport. never know what to expect haha

P.S. Im not the biggest fan of either guy at all but who would love to see Dos Santos go up against Velasquez for the #1 contender?

Chilly_Willy
10-25-2009, 09:28 AM
Rothwell/Velasquez - I know that fight was stopped prematurely but IMO the stoppage prevented a lot of damage Rothwell would take. Granted he was more than willing to take it but his face was about to become hamburger.

I think Shogun got robbed. I respect that the judges did not want to score a loss to Machida and that its difficult to win a titile by decision but if any fight in the last few UFS's proves that the scoring system needs reform this is it. Shogun clearley dominated that fight. He brought a fight to Machida that Machida did not have an answer for. He was wobbley and hesitant while Shogun pushed the pace and landed significantly more strikes.

two24four
10-25-2009, 11:58 AM
I was glad to see Joe Daddy win, he's one of my favs.

I also think Shogun got robbed, he won that fight, I was also at a sports pub watcing it, you should have heard the boos when he did not win.

dw13
10-25-2009, 12:43 PM
I really don't mean to put more emphasis on this decision than it deserves, but if you watch the UFC 104 post fight press conference, there's little doubt that the UFC brass feels that Shogun won this fight. Here's the video.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/16610/watch-tonights-ufc-104-post-fight-press-conference-live-on-mmajunkie-com.mma

Edit: Holy shit, Machida's response to the question at ~38 might as well be admitting that he lost. "I'll take what I learned from this fight, and I'll be a better fighter in my next match." Have you ever heard a fighter that won a fight talking like that? Machida knows he got lucky. I can't believe this shit happened. The judges of this fight should lose their credentials.

Zang, I know you are upset but we both scored the fight 3-2 (you said that as well) which means it could of gone either way the whole fight, which the judges obviously agreed on. Machida's response is one of a man who knows he could of very well lost because of how close of a fight it was. (Although, I know Shogun deserved the win myself)

Shogun definitely had a right to be shocked but he handled it how fans of his should, there is nothing you can do anymore. If Dana is that deadset on Shogun with a win easily, get them back in the ring, we all know people will be paying to see it again.

It opened up holes in Machida's game that we have never seen before, which makes it for even better fights the next time he is in the ring, not to mention the people who haven't seen Shogun in PRIDE, got to see the guy alot of people thought was the best fighter on the planet.

Zangetsu
10-25-2009, 03:07 PM
Look, all I'm saying is that there's no way you can say that Machida won the fight when it is looked at as one entity. If it were a street fight, you would say that Machida got his ass kicked. The guy could barely move in the last two rounds. Then again, I don't think I've ever seen leg kicks in a street fight.

Based on the UFC's scoring system, you can say that Machida won the competition, but I am absolutely positive that had the fight been judged using the Japanese system, Shogun would have been the winner, easily. The "10-point must" system is archaic and isn't capable of taking into account all the nuance of MMA.

EDIT: If Machida fights anybody before giving Shogun a rematch, it will be a travesty. One post on sherdog had me laughing pretty good. When asked if there should be a rematch, the poster replied, "Machida doesn't deserve one right away." I'm guessing Machida/Shogun II will take place at UFC 109 in February.

dw13
10-25-2009, 03:40 PM
Look, all I'm saying is that there's no way you can say that Machida won the fight when it is looked at as one entity. If it were a street fight, you would say that Machida got his ass kicked. The guy could barely move in the last two rounds. Then again, I don't think I've ever seen leg kicks in a street fight.

Based on the UFC's scoring system, you can say that Machida won the competition, but I am absolutely positive that had the fight been judged using the Japanese system, Shogun would have been the winner, easily. The "10-point must" system is archaic and isn't capable of taking into account all the nuance of MMA.

EDIT: If Machida fights anybody before giving Shogun a rematch, it will be a travesty. One post on sherdog had me laughing pretty good. When asked if there should be a rematch, the poster replied, "Machida doesn't deserve one right away." I'm guessing Machida/Shogun II will take place at UFC 109 in February.

That's the thing Zang, it isn't a street fight. I understand being upset with the 10 point system, but thats who it works right now in the UFC and going by that system, I really do think it was a very close fight. I'm not saying Machida won, I'm saying it was a very close fight.

Sherdog is full of fruit loops, but I do agree that neither of them should be fighting again, Machida/Shogun II should already be in the works.

snoopzen
10-25-2009, 03:44 PM
Dawinna already touched on this, but personal emotions aside (and that post was loaded with them) what Machida said is what I would expect any decent athlete would say after a tough match where holds in his game are exposed. I've always thought Machida was a reasonably cerebral fighter, and this would be another example of that.

What would be stupid would be Machida gloating about how he kicked Shogun's ass or how the judges messed up in his favour.

As for the judges... You said youself that Dana looked pissed, so obviously the fight wasn't fixed. So you think that three experienced MMA judges went simultaneously blind and senile at the same time? Or maybe they impartially judged on the criteria they were supposed to. I don't know... I disagreed with the decision, but I don't think it was that much of a travesty.

Makes a great storyline for Machida/Shogun 2 though, doesn't it?

Zangetsu
10-25-2009, 03:48 PM
As for the judges... You said youself that Dana looked pissed, so obviously the fight wasn't fixed. So you think that three experienced MMA judges went simultaneously blind and senile at the same time? Or maybe they impartially judged on the criteria they were supposed to. I don't know... I disagreed with the decision, but I don't think it was that much of a travesty.I think it is seriously time to consider abandoning the "10-point must" system. It doesn't work for MMA, and it never has. Without a shadow of a doubt, Shogun won the fight overall. There's no debating that. I will agree that the fight was close based on the system in place, but Machida was a defeated fighter in the last two rounds.

Zangetsu
10-25-2009, 03:54 PM
That's the thing Zang, it isn't a street fight. I understand being upset with the 10 point system, but thats who it works right now in the UFC and going by that system, I really do think it was a very close fight. I'm not saying Machida won, I'm saying it was a very close fight.The problem is that it was only close because of the 10-point must system. Under a system that judges a fight based on the final outcome, considering all damage given/received, Shogun wins hands down.

Sherdog is full of fruit loops, but I do agree that neither of them should be fighting again, Machida/Shogun II should already be in the works.
I only repeated the post because I thought it was clever, but yeah, Shogun deserves at least one more shot at the belt.

dw13
10-25-2009, 04:01 PM
The problem is that it was only close because of the 10-point must system. Under a system that judges a fight based on the final outcome, considering all damage given/received, Shogun wins hands down.

Well that's fine, I understand Shogun did a bit more damage, but I always score the fights of my favorite fighters and I had it 2-2 and gave the 5th to Shogun, but could of gone either way.. so it was very close, under the given system.

Shogun will get another shot, it's pretty automatic already. (Which I think could end up like Rizzo/Randy II, the champ wins a close/bad decision, and then comes back in the rematch and knows what he did wrong and knows the others gameplan, and pummels him)

Hockeyis#1
10-25-2009, 04:01 PM
The first three rounds were close, but I can't honestly say that Machida won all of them, especially the first. Shogun clearly won 4 and 5. I was getting up from my table and about to leave and was halfway out the door when I heard "Leeeeooooto Maaaaaaachidddaaaa" I turned around jaw on the floor.

It was close, but Shogun clearly did more damage across more rounds.

I wouldn't be upset at the early stoppage if I were Rothwell. He took 6-7 uncontested punches to the face, that he did nothing to defend. Standing up isn't a means to defend punches. I thought he was lucky it wasn't stopped earlier when he was eating elbows on the ground in round 1.

Rumble looked good. Rogan said he starts his cut from like 225 didn't he?? That's a big, big cut to 170. You should also really never lose a fight when you have KO power and 8' of reach over your opponent.

Hockeyis#1
10-25-2009, 04:04 PM
I think it is seriously time to consider abandoning the "10-point must" system. It doesn't work for MMA, and it never has. Without a shadow of a doubt, Shogun won the fight overall. There's no debating that. I will agree that the fight was close based on the system in place, but Machida was a defeated fighter in the last two rounds.

Will State X's Athletic Comission accept the "Japanese" scoring system?

dw13
10-25-2009, 04:09 PM
Rumble looked good. Rogan said he starts his cut from like 225 didn't he?? That's a big, big cut to 170. You should also really never lose a fight when you have KO power and 8' of reach over your opponent.

That's rumored. I've heard its more of 200, but this time, after his injury he had gotten too heavy. Dude is a fuckin' giant though.

Zangetsu
10-25-2009, 04:12 PM
Machida is great, but he's going to have to make some fundamental changes in his style to win a rematch against Shogun. Machida's stance leaves him wide open to leg/body kicks.

dw13
10-25-2009, 04:13 PM
Machida is great, but he's going to have to make some fundamental changes in his style to win a rematch against Shogun. Machida's stance leaves him wide open to leg/body kicks.

I agree and I also thought Shogun made him be the aggressor and thats when his open stance really hurt him.

Zangetsu
10-25-2009, 04:20 PM
Will State X's Athletic Comission accept the "Japanese" scoring system?No, because as far as I know, most if not all State Athletic Commissions are made up of old boxing officials (who believe that MMA is a sub-set of boxing), but that doesn't mean that the Japanese system is not a better system.

dw13
10-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Just rewatched the fight, and I scored it the same as I did the first time. Maybe because of having talked about it so much, maybe not but I think the conclusion of this, is that the 10 point system can be flawed in fights like this, without question. But with the current system, there is an argument for Lyoto's victory.

two24four
10-26-2009, 03:12 PM
Brock Lesnar had to pull out of his fight with Carwin on Nov 21st (UFC 106) today because of illness.

dw13
10-26-2009, 03:15 PM
Brock Lesnar had to pull out of his fight with Carwin on Nov 21st (UFC 106) today because of illness.

Sherdog and MMAJunkie haven't reported anything about this.. where did you find?

two24four
10-26-2009, 03:16 PM
Sherdog and MMAJunkie haven't reported anything about this.. where did you find?

Yahoo! sports.

dw13
10-26-2009, 03:23 PM
F*ck you Lesnar!

Chilly_Willy
10-26-2009, 03:56 PM
F*ck you Lesnar!

x2

Zangetsu
10-26-2009, 04:36 PM
It's on sherdog now. I wonder what they'll do to replace that fight on the card.

nyrblue2
10-26-2009, 04:55 PM
It's on sherdog now. I wonder what they'll do to replace that fight on the card.
Machida vs. Shogun!

dw13
10-26-2009, 05:06 PM

Yeah like 2 minutes after I posted back, MMAJunkie had it up. Ortiz/Griffen will be the headliner now.. which shocks me that Forrest is getting back in the cage so quick, after I saw his first interview since Anderson Silva.

Carwin has said on his twitter that they will do it at 108. Which is good not too far away from the original date.

Zangetsu
10-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Machida vs. Shogun!:lol:

Those two will barely be in shape to train by then, after this weekend's war.

Zangetsu
10-26-2009, 05:17 PM
Tito/Forrest is a pretty weak headliner if you ask me. Granted, it is a fight that a lot of people have wanted to see again, due to another questionable decision. Still, Lesnar has really screwed the UFC here, and he's given all his haters more reason to despise him.

mrtybrodur30
10-26-2009, 08:44 PM
Yeah no way those two could fight again so soon. Machida still has like 4 or 5 more days till he will actually be able to walk again after Rua Destroyed his legs. lol

Yeah the saying is you have to "beat" the champ to get his belt, but you also expect the champ to show up alot more than Machida did. Machida lost that fight. I didnt like Machida to begin with but now I hope Shogun makes him pay even more in the rematch if it happens.

dw13
10-26-2009, 09:07 PM
Tito/Forrest is a pretty weak headliner if you ask me. Granted, it is a fight that a lot of people have wanted to see again, due to another questionable decision. Still, Lesnar has really screwed the UFC here, and he's given all his haters more reason to despise him.

I see no problem with Ortiz/Forrest, Karo/Hazelett, Cane/Lil Nog.. it's the other 2 fights on the main card I'm worried won't live up to main card worthy. If they don't, I could see myself passing on buying the PPV and maybe trying to find a stream.. or hitting the bar.

Dubz
10-26-2009, 09:38 PM
Yeah no way those two could fight again so soon. Machida still has like 4 or 5 more days till he will actually be able to walk again after Rua Destroyed his legs. lol

Yeah the saying is you have to "beat" the champ to get his belt, but you also expect the champ to show up alot more than Machida did. Machida lost that fight. I didnt like Machida to begin with but now I hope Shogun makes him pay even more in the rematch if it happens.

Thats pretty much the same way I feel. Except I think it will be longer than a week for Machida to work out those bruises;)

Zangetsu
10-26-2009, 11:14 PM
I see no problem with Ortiz/Forrest, Karo/Hazelett, Cane/Lil Nog.. it's the other 2 fights on the main card I'm worried won't live up to main card worthy. If they don't, I could see myself passing on buying the PPV and maybe trying to find a stream.. or hitting the bar.Cane/Nog hasn't even been confirmed yet, although it seems pretty likely that it's going to happen. As of right now on UFC's website, they have Sadollah/Baroni, Saunders/Davis, and Grove/Rosholt as the third, fourth, and fifth fights on the card. All three are listed with the "may not be broadcast" disclaimer. Assuming Cane/Nog does happen, that leaves two main card slots to fill in less than a month.

dw13
10-27-2009, 03:04 PM
Cane/Nog hasn't even been confirmed yet, although it seems pretty likely that it's going to happen. As of right now on UFC's website, they have Sadollah/Baroni, Saunders/Davis, and Grove/Rosholt as the third, fourth, and fifth fights on the card. All three are listed with the "may not be broadcast" disclaimer. Assuming Cane/Nog does happen, that leaves two main card slots to fill in less than a month.

MMAJunkie has it as Cane/Nog, Karo/Hazelett as on the main card, and I'd imagine if they don't add anything it would be Grove/Rosholt and Amir/Baroni filling out the other 2 slots.. or maybe Paulo Thiago vs. Volkmann if they fight on that card.

Dream 12 was solid, yet unspectatular. I enjoyed seeing Alvarez fight, as always.

Zangetsu
10-27-2009, 03:26 PM
Haven't watched Dream yet. Waiting for a nice DL to come available, since Time Warner and HDNet still can't come to an agreement. It'll be weird to see them fighting in a cage, especially a white one.

dw13
10-27-2009, 03:34 PM
Haven't watched Dream yet. Waiting for a nice DL to come available, since Time Warner and HDNet still can't come to an agreement. It'll be weird to see them fighting in a cage, especially a white one.

I actually liked the look of the cage too, but it took a couple fights to sink in.

dw13
10-28-2009, 09:33 AM
Koscheck/Anthony Johnson for 106.

Siiiick fight.

two24four
10-28-2009, 11:28 AM
I love watching Koscheck fight.

Chilly_Willy
10-28-2009, 01:58 PM
Koscheck/Anthony Johnson for 106.

Siiiick fight.

sweet!:evilgrin:

There is an MMA fighter cameo in the video I Get It by chevelle. I couldn't place the face with the name but your post rung a bell. At 3:30 is that Josh Koscheck? I like the song, the video is kinda weak.
YouTube - Chevelle - I Get It

More ultimate fighter tonight yeeehaw!

Zangetsu
10-28-2009, 04:04 PM
That's definitely Koscheck, and that should be a great fight. Rumble is really moving up the ranks pretty quickly.

snoopzen
10-28-2009, 11:26 PM
Cecil Peoples Explains Why Lyoto Machida Won At UFC 104

"First of all what you need to understand is that from where the judges are sitting, we get to see things that the fans at home may miss. Mauricio Rua was being aggressive but it wasn't effective aggressiveness which is what we as the judges look for when scoring a fight. The way I saw it, Lyoto was landing the more cleaner and damaging strikes throughout the fight - if you take a look at the judging criteria clean strikes are valued more-so than the quantity of strikes landed. Although Rua threw a lot of low kicks they were not as damaging as Lyoto's diverse attack in the earlier rounds which is why I scored the first three rounds for Machida. You have to keep in mind we always the favor the fighter who is trying to finish the fight, and leg kicks certainly don't do that.

When both fighters are engaged in a striking match what I always look for is the fighter who is being judicious, picking his spots, being accurate and landing the cleaner strikes which ultimately is what Lyoto did more effectively than Rua. Lyoto made Shogun come after him, he determined where the fight took place which in my opinion constitutes as effective Octagon control. I recognize the fact that Rua did have a few takedown attempts during the course of the fight however Lyoto defended them all successfully which counts as effective grappling in his favor, where as unsuccessful takedown attempts are not scored at all. Therefore going by that criteria, I believe Lyoto won the fight clearly. I'm just glad the other judges on the panel saw it the same way and I'm sure the fans who understand the technicalities of the sport agree with the decision too."Zang?

two24four
10-29-2009, 01:55 AM
Rampage now 0-7, but he is 1-0 vs the door :lol:

Zangetsu
10-29-2009, 02:33 AM
Zang?I really don't care what any of these "judges" have to say, considering their incompetence in this example, but since you mention me by name, I suppose I at least owe you a response.

This is simply evidence that boxing has had too much influence on MMA. To say that Shogun's leg kicks aren't an effort to finish the fight is ridiculous. Of course every kick to Machida's leg is an attempt to finish the fight. Peoples' argument is akin to a lumberjack saying that only the final chop to the tree's trunk is an attempt to fell the tree. Every time a fighter attempts to injure his opponent should be considered an attempt to end the fight.

I really don't have much else to say other than the judgment of the first three rounds wouldn't even matter if the entirety of the fight would determine the winner. I've already said this 20x in this thread, but the round by round scoring that American MMA uses is faulty. Had a system of scoring which considers the fight as a whole been adopted for this fight, there wouldn't even be a discussion, and Shogun would be the LHW champ.

dw13
10-29-2009, 08:51 AM
Hate to say it Zang, but I agree with him. Peoples is a horrible judge though.

boredguy
10-29-2009, 10:45 AM
Rampage now 0-7, but he is 1-0 vs the door :lol:

That fight was horrible to watch though, 2nd round was one of the most pathetic things i've ever seen in any competitive sport. I was kinda hoping it'd go 3 though just to see one of them pass out from exhaustion.

Chilly_Willy
10-29-2009, 11:41 AM
That fight was horrible to watch though, 2nd round was one of the most pathetic things i've ever seen in any competitive sport. I was kinda hoping it'd go 3 though just to see one of them pass out from exhaustion.

That fight was like watching firday night tuff man competitiion at the local bar. The second round was laughable.

Was the first episode this season of UF that I did not enjoy. Matt is such a duche I don't find any entertainment in watching him. I was hoping Junk was going to KO him so we didn't have to deal with much more Matt but now that he won it looks like we are doomed to more focus on him at some point in the future. That dude is uncommfortably not cool.

Zangetsu
10-29-2009, 01:49 PM
Hate to say it Zang, but I agree with him. Peoples is a horrible judge though.
Peoples is a moron. He refers to Lyoto's backpedaling as "effective Octagon control." He tries to use the "quality over quantity" argument, but at some point, quantity overwhelms quality. And I haven't seen any photos from the day after, but I can imagine the color of Machida's ribs and legs might convince Peoples that Shogun's aggression was plenty effective.