PDA

View Full Version : Offical MMA Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Zangetsu
04-12-2009, 03:43 AM
Just watched the Strikeforce card. I'm not surprised by any of the results.

Rogers is a beast, and I hope him and Overeem will fight some time soon.

Cyborg vs. Gina is the fight that everybody wants to see. Unfortunately, Strikeforce knows this and will wait as long as they can to give the fans what they want.

Smith is unbelievable. Radach had him beat multiple times, but he survived and was able to finish the fight in true "Hands of Steel" style.

Melendez is back. This kid showed why he was once considered a top five lightweight. He'll be a force in the LW division for years to come.

Nick Diaz is an asshole, but he is a great fighter. For a guy who is a Gracie black belt, his stand-up game is about as good as they come. The guy doesn't bother loading up for individual punches because he is confident that he will land a ton of average powered strikes.

Shamrock may have a couple of fights left in him, but he looked awful against the superior skills of Stockton's own, Captain Cannabis (thank you Mauro Ranallo), Nick Diaz.

Dubz
04-12-2009, 08:27 AM
Spike has a list of the top fighters.....check it out.

The Top Seven UFC Warriors of All Time

http://www.spike.com/blog/top-7-ufc-warriors/75941

dw13
04-12-2009, 09:13 AM
Just watched the Strikeforce card. I'm not surprised by any of the results.

Rogers is a beast, and I hope him and Overeem will fight some time soon.

Cyborg vs. Gina is the fight that everybody wants to see. Unfortunately, Strikeforce knows this and will wait as long as they can to give the fans what they want.

Smith is unbelievable. Radach had him beat multiple times, but he survived and was able to finish the fight in true "Hands of Steel" style.

Melendez is back. This kid showed why he was once considered a top five lightweight. He'll be a force in the LW division for years to come.

Nick Diaz is an asshole, but he is a great fighter. For a guy who is a Gracie black belt, his stand-up game is about as good as they come. The guy doesn't bother loading up for individual punches because he is confident that he will land a ton of average powered strikes.

Shamrock may have a couple of fights left in him, but he looked awful against the superior skills of Stockton's own, Captain Cannabis (thank you Mauro Ranallo), Nick Diaz.

I also watched it, nothing too special. Nick is actually a really talented fighter I agree, and he is a dick but they also do it because they know the more shit they stir, the longer they stay on the camera and keep getting fights in the solid events.

Melendez is good, talented, but I'd like to see him face some more stiff competition.

Gina/Cyborg will be fun.

Rogers/Overeem has to happen sometime soon.

Smith is horrible. No movement whatsoever the whole fight and then lands the KO. That was one of the most ugly fights I've ever watched.

All-in-all a decent night

two24four
04-15-2009, 01:50 PM
UFC 97 this weekend in Montreal.

My picks.

Anderson Silva over Thales Leites
Chuck Liddell over Mauricio Rua (I'm not a big Iceman fan, but for some reason I see him winning this fight)
Krzysztof Soszynski over Brian Stann
Cheick Kongo over Antoni Hardonk
Luiz Cane over Steve Cantwell
Jason MacDonald over Nate Quarry
Ed Herman over David Loiseau

dw13
04-15-2009, 03:46 PM
UFC 97 this weekend in Montreal.

My picks.

Anderson Silva over Thales Leites
Chuck Liddell over Mauricio Rua (I'm not a big Iceman fan, but for some reason I see him winning this fight)
Krzysztof Soszynski over Brian Stann
Cheick Kongo over Antoni Hardonk
Luiz Cane over Steve Cantwell
Jason MacDonald over Nate Quarry
Ed Herman over David Loiseau

Silva over Leites - I have money on Thales at 5.5/1, never know.
Chuck over ShoGun - ShoGun will gas by the second.
Krzysztof over Staan - As much as I hate Krzysztolf, Stann is worse.
Hardonk over Kongo - Have fun dealing with the kickboxing master in Hardonk. Kongo has no idea how to check them.
Cane over Cantwell - I think Cantwell wins, but odds are with Cane. I really like Cantwell. though
Quarry over MacDonald - The Athlete gets dropped by Quarrys better standup.

two24four
04-16-2009, 12:27 AM
Dana White was on Off The Record tonight, when asked if Liddell should retire if he takes the loss this weekend, Dana said "should he, no he will retire if he takes the loss" he put no thought into it all.

dw13
04-16-2009, 04:58 AM
Dana White was on Off The Record tonight, when asked if Liddell should retire if he takes the loss this weekend, Dana said "should he, no he will retire if he takes the loss" he put no thought into it all.

Gets more people to watch. As much as I don't like Chuck... he has lost to Jardine, Rampage, Rashad in 3 of past 4 (and beat Wanderlei). He is a posterboy still for Dana.

That being said, he will beat Shogun and probably end up getting one of the high risers (Cane if he wins, or Jon Jones? either would wreck Chuck though)

Zangetsu
04-16-2009, 12:55 PM
I'll be pulling for Shogun. He was my favorite fighter back in the PrideFC days, but he hasn't been the same since his knee injury. He still seems to have all the necessary skills to succeed in MMA, but I'm not sure he has the heart or the competitive drive.

I also have a suspicion that Silva will try to tap Leites. We'll see what happens, but something tells me that Silva is looking for a challenge.

dw13
04-16-2009, 01:58 PM
I also have a suspicion that Silva will try to tap Leites. We'll see what happens, but something tells me that Silva is looking for a challenge.

He does have a very good chin, so KO'ing him might be a challenge as well.. I don't know if Silva will want to submit someone as decorated on the ground as Leites.

Also, I am rooting for ShoGun too.

two24four
04-16-2009, 06:58 PM
Dana White said today he would love to see a super fight between GSP and Silva this year, he even said it could happen right in Toronto later in the year around NOV or DEC.

Toronto needs get the ok for MMA 1st thou.

Wonder if they would think about havnig it at the Rogers Centre, they could fit 50,000+ in there. Might be tough to see up in the 500's thou.

dw13
04-16-2009, 08:29 PM
Dana White said today he would love to see a super fight between GSP and Silva this year, he even said it could happen right in Toronto later in the year around NOV or DEC.

Toronto needs get the ok for MMA 1st thou.

Wonder if they would think about havnig it at the Rogers Centre, they could fit 50,000+ in there. Might be tough to see up in the 500's thou.

Not to go after you, but Dana is a business man, he keeps people on their heels. The superfight will not happen this year.

Silva still will fight Thales this weekend, he needs to fight atleast 2 of the 5.. Hendo/Maia/Bisping/Marquadt/Okami, not to mention we have Akiyama in the UFC now, but I think he is hyped too much, and Wanderlei moving down.
GSP has Alves now, Fitch, Kampmann hacking at title chance.. and Paulo Thiago if he pulls off the Fitch fight. Anthony Johnson also isn't too far.
He would NEVER hold it in a venue and have it sit 50,000. That would murk his PPV buys, I could see it in the Rogers Centre, but not having all seats open.

I'd say best chance at that fight is January, next year. BEST chance.

two24four
04-16-2009, 10:11 PM
Guess we will see, he could also just have it at the ACC as well.

moans
04-18-2009, 11:50 PM
wow, that was the worst fight I've ever seen. What a waste of a title bout.

Zangetsu
04-19-2009, 01:25 AM
wow, that was the worst fight I've ever seen. What a waste of a title bout.I have to disagree.

Silva did what Silva does. He took what his opponent gave him. It's just Leites didn't give him much. That being said, Silva was still dominant. It was also a showcase for Silva's creativity. While punching a guy in the thigh may not become the norm, Silva was pulling out just about every trick he could think of.

I suppose Silva has set a high bar for his fights, but he's not going to jeopardize his chance at a victory to please the fans. As Rogan said during the fight, he's a technician.

BTW, Shogun is back!!!

moans
04-19-2009, 01:54 AM
yeah it definitely wasn't Silva's fault, Leites put up a pathetic display and he embarassed himself tonight.

dw13
04-19-2009, 06:50 AM
I have to disagree.

Silva did what Silva does. He took what his opponent gave him. It's just Leites didn't give him much. That being said, Silva was still dominant. It was also a showcase for Silva's creativity. While punching a guy in the thigh may not become the norm, Silva was pulling out just about every trick he could think of.

I suppose Silva has set a high bar for his fights, but he's not going to jeopardize his chance at a victory to please the fans. As Rogan said during the fight, he's a technician.

BTW, Shogun is back!!!

I agree with Zang, outside of the Shogun is back comment... After looking so bad in the Coleman fight, I'd like to see another solid performance before I agree. :D

Zangetsu
04-19-2009, 02:55 PM
Yeah, you're probably right about Shogun, but he did look better. Who do they match him up against next, though?

CayugaPosse
04-19-2009, 04:14 PM
Not to go after you, but Dana is a business man, he keeps people on their heels. The superfight will not happen this year.

Silva still will fight Thales this weekend, he needs to fight atleast 2 of the 5.. Hendo/Maia/Bisping/Marquadt/Okami, not to mention we have Akiyama in the UFC now, but I think he is hyped too much, and Wanderlei moving down.
GSP has Alves now, Fitch, Kampmann hacking at title chance.. and Paulo Thiago if he pulls off the Fitch fight. Anthony Johnson also isn't too far.
He would NEVER hold it in a venue and have it sit 50,000. That would murk his PPV buys, I could see it in the Rogers Centre, but not having all seats open.
I'd say best chance at that fight is January, next year. BEST chance.

Not to go after you, but Anderson Silva's already beaten 2 of the 5 you listed. GSP has beaten Fitsch already.

dw13
04-19-2009, 05:01 PM
Not to go after you, but Anderson Silva's already beaten 2 of the 5 you listed. GSP has beaten Fitsch already.

Since when does that not warrant another shot? Nate is a different fighter, and Fitch is still probably the 2nd best WW.

dw13
04-19-2009, 05:52 PM
Yeah, you're probably right about Shogun, but he did look better. Who do they match him up against next, though?

That will take some thought.

CayugaPosse
04-19-2009, 07:24 PM
Since when does that not warrant another shot? Nate is a different fighter, and Fitch is still probably the 2nd best WW.

Since there are other fights, that will make the UFC roughly 3 infinity more dollars than a Nate Marquardt vs Anderson Silva fight, that the UFC can peice together.

Anderson's proven all he needs to prove in his weight class, time to get him into some super fights.

If GSP beats Alves, same thing applies to him, considering he didn't just "beat" Jon Fitsch, he completely obliterated him.

I know MMA's a funny sport in that alot of people think it's all about fairness to the fighters and Nate deserves a 2nd shot and blah blah blah, but it's not. It's about money.

If GSP and Silva are willing to give the super fight a go, don't think for one second Dana White's gonna say, "nah, I don't need 7 trillion dollars right now, Yushin Okami's crazy boring but I think he should fight Silva first".

If GSP and Silva are willing, that fight happens, and anyone in either weight class can suck it and wait.

Same thing that happened with Kenny Florian.

Zangetsu
04-19-2009, 08:40 PM
Would Jardine be a reasonable next opponent for Shogun? They'll both be ready to fight by late August (UFC 102), and they both are at a interesting stage of their careers.

dw13
04-19-2009, 11:30 PM
Would Jardine be a reasonable next opponent for Shogun? They'll both be ready to fight by late August (UFC 102), and they both are at a interesting stage of their careers.

That's a pretty damn good find, I think that would be a nice matchup.

dw13
04-19-2009, 11:31 PM
If GSP and Silva are willing to give the super fight a go, don't think for one second Dana White's gonna say, "nah, I don't need 7 trillion dollars right now, Yushin Okami's crazy boring but I think he should fight Silva first".

You do know that Dana doesn't make the matchups, right?

In either case, it'll be a huge disappointment to see GSP and Silva matchup before the years out.

dw13
04-20-2009, 03:38 PM
http://mmajunkie.com/news/14637/dana-white-bullish-on-anderson-silva-vs-georges-st-pierre-in-toronto.mma

As I said, 2010 is likely.

chud
04-22-2009, 11:11 PM

I sure hope Shogun vs. Jardine doesn't happen. I'm a Shogun hold-out from his PRIDE days, and I just am not at all interested in Jardine as a fighter. I'm not saying it isn't a reasonable match-up, given the mixed bag both of their recent histories have been, but purely as a fan, I don't want to see Shogun waste all of that time and training on Keith Jardine. I'm very much ready for him to fall out of the light heavyweight scene.

dw13
04-22-2009, 11:34 PM
I sure hope Shogun vs. Jardine doesn't happen. I'm a Shogun hold-out from his PRIDE days, and I just am not at all interested in Jardine as a fighter. I'm not saying it isn't a reasonable match-up, given the mixed bag both of their recent histories have been, but purely as a fan, I don't want to see Shogun waste all of that time and training on Keith Jardine. I'm very much ready for him to fall out of the light heavyweight scene.

Ready for who to fall out of the LHW scene..?

moans
04-23-2009, 12:27 AM
I'd assume he's talking about Jardine.

dw13
04-23-2009, 01:02 AM
I'd assume he's talking about Jardine.

Either one, I can't understand. Jardine just had a 3 round war with Rampage, and never gets an easy fight. Jardine is a top 10 LHW, and isn't going anywhere soon. He isn't just a gatekeeper in the division.

Shogun, is also back into the top 10.

So either one, makes little sense to me.

Zangetsu
04-23-2009, 12:26 PM
Either one, I can't understand. Jardine just had a 3 round war with Rampage, and never gets an easy fight. Jardine is a top 10 LHW, and isn't going anywhere soon. He isn't just a gatekeeper in the division.

Shogun, is also back into the top 10.

So either one, makes little sense to me.Have to agree here.

Jardine has been a win or two from a title shot a couple of times. Joe Silva was ready to match Jardine up with Rashad had he beaten Rampage (reports say they wouldn't have fought considering that they're teammates, but Jardine would have been the #1 contender).

As much of a fan of Shogun as I am, he still has a climb ahead of him to regain his status in the LHW division. His loss to Griffin, knee injuries, and unimpressive performance against a washed up Coleman have really tarnished his reputation. He looked better against Chuck, but Chuck's lost four of his last five. A win over Jardine would put Shogun a win or two away from a title shot.

two24four
04-28-2009, 03:14 PM
Sounds like Anderson Silva will fight Forrest Griffen at UFC 101 Aug 8th.

dw13
04-28-2009, 03:17 PM

It's confirmed. I'm bummed its not Rampage/ASilva.. much better matchup. Forrest will be game, but I can't see him winning. Doesn't have KO power, and his ground game isn't Silvas.

dw13
04-29-2009, 04:12 AM
Jardine gets Thiago Silva now at 102.

Jake
04-29-2009, 03:02 PM

I have never really been impressed by Griffen's skill, but he does have a TON of heart. I think this is the perfect fight for the UFC. Forrest wont back down and/or hide from Silva and the fans will get to see the KO they have come to expect (but recently been disappointed) from Silva

dw13
04-29-2009, 04:10 PM
I have never really been impressed by Griffen's skill, but he does have a TON of heart. I think this is the perfect fight for the UFC. Forrest wont back down and/or hide from Silva and the fans will get to see the KO they have come to expect (but recently been disappointed) from Silva

I'm not sure it'll be a KO. TKO is more likely. Griffin has too solid of a chin and huge heart.

That being said, Forrest is going to get picked apart on the feet, and will have to try to out wrestle him on the ground.

two24four
05-01-2009, 01:17 PM
haha, I Know it's not the UFC, but Jose Canseco is going to be fighting in Tokyo in the MMA vs 7'2 Hong Man Choi who has lost to both Fedor Emelianenko & Mirko Cro Cop.

:lol::lol:

dw13
05-01-2009, 01:23 PM
He is fighting in Dream9, if I'm not mistaken.

two24four
05-01-2009, 01:56 PM
He is fighting in Dream9, if I'm not mistaken.

Yes that is right.

dw13
05-01-2009, 01:58 PM
Yes that is right.

JZ, Kid and Mousasi are both fighting at Dream9 as well.

As well as Jacare vs. Miller Mayhem, and Maeda vs. Takaya

Needless to say, I'll be at my buddies watching his HDnet.

Zangetsu
05-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Yeah, Dream 9 is shaping up as a pretty solid card, although the "Super Hulk" open weight tournament does look like it'll be more of a spectacle than a real MMA tournament.

Aside from the Canseco fight, Bob Sapp will fight Minowaman, Mousasi will fight Mark Hunt, and Sokoudjou will fight Jan Nortje.

moans
05-01-2009, 02:33 PM
any idea what channel this dream 9 would be on?

dw13
05-01-2009, 02:33 PM
Yeah, Dream 9 is shaping up as a pretty solid card, although the "Super Hulk" open weight tournament does look like it'll be more of a spectacle than a real MMA tournament.

Aside from the Canseco fight, Bob Sapp will fight Minowaman, Mousasi will fight Mark Hunt, and Sokoudjou will fight Jan Nortje.

yeah, I want to see Mousasi, and don't really care about Soko anymore. I agree about the Super Hulk tourny.

I'm also interested in the MW that Dana is saying they are signing.

Zangetsu
05-01-2009, 06:29 PM
any idea what channel this dream 9 would be on?It will be shown on HDNet in the US. Assuming London means Ontario, the Canadian version of HDNet appears to follow the same lineup (they're airing tonight's WVR event at the same time as the US HDNet), so I suppose your best bet would be to look for HDNet Canada. Here's their website:

hdnet.ca

That being said, there are tons of websites that offer non-Zuffa (non-UFC/WEC) downloads or streams.

Zangetsu
05-01-2009, 06:39 PM
yeah, I want to see Mousasi, and don't really care about Soko anymore. I agree about the Super Hulk tourny.

I'm also interested in the MW that Dana is saying they are signing.I haven't heard much about this. All I've heard is that Belfort may be coming back to the UFC.

dw13
05-02-2009, 01:09 PM
I haven't heard much about this. All I've heard is that Belfort may be coming back to the UFC.

I'd welcome Vitor back with open arms.

dw13
05-05-2009, 04:50 AM
Jason MacDonald cut from the UFC. :rolleyes:

two24four
05-05-2009, 11:35 AM
Jason MacDonald cut from the UFC. :rolleyes:

I saw that as well, I did not mind him.

two24four
05-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Here is MacDonald's blog from yesterday on Sportsnet.ca.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/mma/blogs/2009/05/04/macdonald_plans/

Zangetsu
05-05-2009, 03:33 PM
Here is MacDonald's blog from yesterday on Sportsnet.ca.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/mma/blogs/2009/05/04/macdonald_plans/It's interesting that he's considering a return to MFC. They've come a long way since he left, but they are still a huge step down from the UFC. Strikeforce would be able to pay him more, but fighting in his home town could be what would drive him to join MFC.

Honestly, though, I don't know if Strikeforce would even be interested. The MW division is arguably their strongest, and I don't think MacDonald would necessarily step in as an immediate title contender.

dw13
05-23-2009, 02:38 AM
Lyoto over Rashad - UD / Late Submission (Arm Triangle)
Hughes over Serra - GnP TKO 3rd round
Sherk over Edgar - UD
Professor X over McFedries - KO 1st round
Miller over Sonnen - 2nd round submission (Triangle)

two24four
05-23-2009, 07:47 AM
Rashad over Lyoto
Hughes over Serra
Sherk over Edgar

Those are really the only 3 fights Iam into tonight.

Dubz
05-23-2009, 09:11 AM
I dont think Lyoto's chin has been tested. I heard him comment that he never gets hit. If that holds true he should win. I think Evans will hit him though....how his chin holds up will be the tale of this fight. I like Rashad here but wouldnt mind seeing Lyoto take him down. Very interesting match-up.

dw13
05-23-2009, 10:16 AM
I dont think Lyoto's chin has been tested. I heard him comment that he never gets hit. If that holds true he should win. I think Evans will hit him though....how his chin holds up will be the tale of this fight. I like Rashad here but wouldnt mind seeing Lyoto take him down. Very interesting match-up.

He trains with the best camp in the world. They go all out on each other, Lyoto has been tested. I'm not sure there is a game plan right now for Lyoto. I think Rashad is going to try to take him down and out wrestle him, to counteract how much they both are counterfighters. I'm not sure it'll be a fun fight.

How could you not be into the Professor X / McFedries fight? Nothing but fireworks! Going to stand and beat each other up until someone drops! Also, Dan Miller (of the Millers brothers) vs. Sonnen, is a really good MW fight.

dw13
05-23-2009, 11:40 PM
My boy takes the Title at 205. GET SOME!

Zangetsu
05-24-2009, 01:27 AM
The Dragon looked really good. His style gives everyone fits. He is able to stay just out of his opponent's range, but his kicks are fast enough that he can land them and quickly regain his balance to avoid being taken down.

I don't know who is going to be able to beat him. Rashad's explosiveness should've given Lyoto as much trouble as anything anyone in the LHW division is going to be able to bring. On top of that, the best gameplanner in the sport couldn't find a solution to Lyoto's style. We may see Lyoto put together a significant run as champ.

CayugaPosse
05-24-2009, 02:07 AM
The Dragon looked really good. His style gives everyone fits. He is able to stay just out of his opponent's range, but his kicks are fast enough that he can land them and quickly regain his balance to avoid being taken down.

I don't know who is going to be able to beat him. Rashad's explosiveness should've given Lyoto as much trouble as anything anyone in the LHW division is going to be able to bring. On top of that, the best gameplanner in the sport couldn't find a solution to Lyoto's style. We may see Lyoto put together a significant run as champ.

That's because there's no answer. He's too methodical, too patient, too fast, too acurate, to powerful and too deadly.

I told my buddy before the fight when he asked who I thought was going to win, I thought Lyoto would handle Rashad, because I think Lyoto is the best pound for pound fighter in the world.

He's never lost a round, never been knocked down. He's barely even been HIT in his career(Rashad landed what? 3 punches tonight?), and now he's just devestating world class opponents(honest to god this was never even a contest, against Rashad who is absolutely world class).

He's scary good, and if you don't want to buy in to him as the best p4p yet, you will in 2 years when he's still carrying that belt around.

Lyoto is my boy...jesus that was impressive.

dw13
05-24-2009, 10:29 AM
That's because there's no answer. He's too methodical, too patient, too fast, too acurate, to powerful and too deadly.

I told my buddy before the fight when he asked who I thought was going to win, I thought Lyoto would handle Rashad, because I think Lyoto is the best pound for pound fighter in the world.

He's never lost a round, never been knocked down. He's barely even been HIT in his career(Rashad landed what? 3 punches tonight?), and now he's just devestating world class opponents(honest to god this was never even a contest, against Rashad who is absolutely world class).

He's scary good, and if you don't want to buy in to him as the best p4p yet, you will in 2 years when he's still carrying that belt around.

Lyoto is my boy...jesus that was impressive.

I've been Lyoto's biggest fan since 05 when I saw him in K-1 beat BJ. He now goes up in the P4P rankings (they are so stupid anyways) but he isn't #1. He is up there though, Fedor is easily #1 for me.

Lyoto outclassed Rashad last night completely, and as Zang said. If Greg Jackson can't figure out a way to beat him, it might not happen for awhile. I'm disappointed that he has to coach in TUF 10 now and hold up another title shot.

War Lyoto!

keyboard
05-24-2009, 10:57 AM
That was nasty.

beely
05-24-2009, 04:38 PM
That was nasty.

agree... it was a sick fight

CayugaPosse
05-24-2009, 04:42 PM
I've been Lyoto's biggest fan since 05 when I saw him in K-1 beat BJ. He now goes up in the P4P rankings (they are so stupid anyways) but he isn't #1. He is up there though, Fedor is easily #1 for me.

Lyoto outclassed Rashad last night completely, and as Zang said. If Greg Jackson can't figure out a way to beat him, it might not happen for awhile. I'm disappointed that he has to coach in TUF 10 now and hold up another title shot.

War Lyoto!

The thing about Lyoto is, if we're all right, we assume he's getting ready to commence an era of dominance in that weight class where he holds that belt for a long time.

That's the best weightclass arguably in the world. There's more talent there than there is anywhere else. From guys like Keith Jardine all the way up to Rampage, Rashad and so on, there's more there than there is GSP's weight class, in Anderson Silva's weight class, or in Affliction's Heavyweight weight class.

Plus, Fedor lost a fight. Hell, Fedor lost a fight and drew a fight. Fedor has lost rounds. Fuck, Fedor gets HIT(Arlovski was sort of handling him until he got dumb and then got caught).

Lyoto has never lost. Never lost a round. He barely ever even gets hit he's so good.

None of us have EVER seen a guy like him, a guy whose walked through a weight class all while barely taking any abuse. And that's why I say he's the best, because it's not just that we've never seen him beaten, not just that we've never seen him lose a round, it's that we quite literally have never seen anyone even compete with him before.

dw13
05-24-2009, 05:55 PM
The thing about Lyoto is, if we're all right, we assume he's getting ready to commence an era of dominance in that weight class where he holds that belt for a long time.

That's the best weightclass arguably in the world. There's more talent there than there is anywhere else. From guys like Keith Jardine all the way up to Rampage, Rashad and so on, there's more there than there is GSP's weight class, in Anderson Silva's weight class, or in Affliction's Heavyweight weight class.

Plus, Fedor lost a fight. Hell, Fedor lost a fight and drew a fight. Fedor has lost rounds. Fuck, Fedor gets HIT(Arlovski was sort of handling him until he got dumb and then got caught).

Lyoto has never lost. Never lost a round. He barely ever even gets hit he's so good.

None of us have EVER seen a guy like him, a guy whose walked through a weight class all while barely taking any abuse. And that's why I say he's the best, because it's not just that we've never seen him beaten, not just that we've never seen him lose a round, it's that we quite literally have never seen anyone even compete with him before.

Fedor has wins over, Nog, Coleman(prime), Herring, Hunt, Lindland, CroCop, Arona. Also, don't think he was hurt against AA, and even if he was... look at his Fujita fight.

He lost his only fight in 2000 and that was due to a cut (wouldn't of been stopped nowa days)

No he didn't draw anything, he had a NC against Nog and he dominated the rematch a couple months later.

Fedor is the #1 P4P, and Silva (I know you want to look at his last couple fights, but he is the best fighter in UFC, right now) are both ahead of him IMO.

I don't think GSP has been tested either, so I'll put Lyoto right there with him.

Yes we haven't seen anyone like him, because Karate backgrounds are very rare. I have no doubts Lyoto could, and will become #1 P4P, but he isn't right now. You don't earn that in 13, or 14 fights. Although Lyoto possess some of the best wins of anyone. Penn, Franklin, Tito, Terry Soko (highly regarded at the time), Thiago Silva (also highly regarded at the time).

mrtybrodur30
05-25-2009, 02:29 AM
Machida is good but even though he has been dominant hes still not even the best fighter in the UFC, Silva is and at this point in time i would put Machida slightly ahead of GSP . And ofcourse not to mention Fedor who is easily the #1 guy out there. But ill admit he was VERY impressive against Rashad yesterday. I wonder what Rashad would do if those two ever fought again sometime in the future. But Rampage is going to be next for Machida according to Dana White. The BIG fight coming up though is clearly Fedor vs Barnett two best heavyweights out there imo.

dw13
05-25-2009, 03:37 AM
But Rampage is going to be next for Machida according to Dana White..

Yes, and unfortunately they will hold another title shot up. They are the coaches of TUF season 10.

dw13
05-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Dream 9 was awesome last night except for the main event. (Jacare vs. Miller) ended in a NC after the kick to a downed Jacare.

Kid lost which I LOVED and JZ lost which I hated :(

Zangetsu
05-27-2009, 04:04 PM
I picked up the UFC game for the 360 last week and I have to say, I'm impressed. I've been spending most of my time in the game with the career mode, and it is really fun to see your fighter get better over time.

The striking game is complex, but it is also fairly easy to pick up and play. The ground game takes some practice, but once you get the hang of it, it is easily the most enjoyable aspect of the game.

Aside from a couple of minor UI problems, the only real problem I have with the game is that they left out Clay Guida because of his hair (no joke), and they don't allow fighters to fight southpaw. Both of these issues, while seemingly minor, show a degree of laziness on the part of the developers.

Overall, though, I'd definitely recommend UFC Undisputed 2009 to any fan of MMA who owns an xbox or PS3.

dw13
05-28-2009, 03:33 PM
How did you like Dream 9 Zang?

Also, good news. Rashad and Rampage will be the coaches on TUF (actually not good news, I really don't want to watch them coach.. but it could be funny) and it's as you know, heavyweights TUF.

So that means, Machida won't have to wait to defend, and his opponent will be named shortly. Forrest getting another shot if he beats Anderson? I can't think of who else is worthy. ShoGun? Eh.. possibly.. do they throw Cane in there that quick? I don't think so.

Who knows. I'm just happy it won't be as long.. and we still see Page vs. Rashad.

Zangetsu
05-28-2009, 04:22 PM
Dream is on the DVR still. I'm looking forward to watching it, but I don't know when I'll get around to doing so.

Agreed on the news about TUF coaches, but couldn't the change actually push Machida's title defense back anyway? Rampage was the clear-cut #1 contender, and Rashad would be next in line for a rematch, so I'm not really sure what the UFC is trying to do by having them fight eachother.

I don't think Shogun or Cane will get a shot yet, though they could wind up fighting eachother. Maybe it'll be Forrest, but if he doesn't beat Silva, can he really get a title shot after a loss? So, in the end Machida is still without a clear-cut challenger until after the Rampage/Rashad fight.

CayugaPosse
05-28-2009, 04:30 PM
Anyone see them maybe asking the winner of Henderson vs Bisping to bulk up and fight him?

dw13
05-28-2009, 05:03 PM
Anyone see them maybe asking the winner of Henderson vs Bisping to bulk up and fight him?

I can't see it. Bisping is a young contender at MW, and Hendo is too tough (and I think he beats Bisping).

I've read though Zang, Machida will fight before he gets the winner of Rashad/Page.

two24four
05-28-2009, 06:00 PM
I see Frank Trigg is coming back, he signed a four fight deal with the UFC.

dw13
05-28-2009, 07:00 PM
I see Frank Trigg is coming back, he signed a four fight deal with the UFC.

Makes no splash in any division.

Zangetsu
05-28-2009, 07:18 PM
If the UFC is hell bent on getting Lyoto a fight before the winner of the Rampage/Rashad fight, it may be with Shogun.

With Evans and Jackson out of the picture, Forrest, Shogun, and Cane are the next best guys that the UFC has in that division, but Forrest will likely be coming off of a loss to Anderson, and Cane doesn't have any signature wins. Could Thiago Silva get a rematch if he beats Jardine? Or is that too much of a stretch for him?

Zangetsu
05-28-2009, 07:23 PM
Didn't Trigg move up in weight recently?

dw13
05-29-2009, 03:02 PM
http://mmajunkie.com/news/15025/report-mauricio-shogun-rua-agrees-to-face-lyoto-machida-in-october.mma

Report is, its ShoGun to fight Lyoto.

two24four
06-01-2009, 10:45 PM
Sounds like Kimbo Slice will be on season 10 of TUF with Rampage & Evans as the coaches.

dw13
06-01-2009, 10:49 PM
Sounds like Kimbo Slice will be on season 10 of TUF with Rampage & Evans as the coaches.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15060/kimbo-slice-scores-the-ultimate-fighter-10-slot.mma

He got a spot.

I wish Lashley would do it, he is already getting better and this would help him so much. I'm now not going to watch TUF10 unless he is in it. I'm not huge on HW, I hate Shad and Page and now throw Kimbo in there? I'm out.

two24four
06-01-2009, 11:55 PM
With Kimbo on season 10, the ratings will go through the roof, just to see how he does.

dw13
06-02-2009, 12:40 AM
With Kimbo on season 10, the ratings will go through the roof, just to see how he does.

He for sure will not fight for atleast 5 shows, and even more to keep people watching. If there is any sort of talent (Judo, BJJ talents) he will get absolutely blitzed. That being said, Dana knows this will bring viewers, and then lets watch him lose.

I hope Lashley is there, it'll make me watch.

ih8music
06-02-2009, 12:53 AM
I probably would have watched it anyway since I've liked most of the past TUF seasons - but with Kimbo in it, I'm totally not going to miss an episode. Curiosity alone about his raw skills & ability to learn/improve (and how well his aging body will hold up to intense training) is enough of a draw for me.

Sounds like an interesting season - all HWs and they've hand-picked the entire group (no fight-ins to the house).

dw13
06-02-2009, 01:11 AM
I probably would have watched it anyway since I've liked most of the past TUF seasons - but with Kimbo in it, I'm totally not going to miss an episode. Curiosity alone about his raw skills & ability to learn/improve (and how well his aging body will hold up to intense training) is enough of a draw for me.

Sounds like an interesting season - all HWs and they've hand-picked the entire group (no fight-ins to the house).

I don't really see his ability to learn much, he will never learn any BJJ (he has said himself) yeah, he could become a more crisp striker, but thats about it. I'm not sure Kimbo has any room to ever be good. I do agree though, curiosity is there.

It'll get me to look into the beginning episodes, but I haven't been a big TUF fan as of late because of the stupid antics in the house... its getting old. But I will peak, and I will definitely watch if Lashley is in like I said before.

Edit: I guess TUF10 tapings did start today, so that means no Lashley.

two24four
06-02-2009, 12:01 PM
I don't really see his ability to learn much, he will never learn any BJJ (he has said himself) yeah, he could become a more crisp striker, but thats about it. I'm not sure Kimbo has any room to ever be good. I do agree though, curiosity is there.

It'll get me to look into the beginning episodes, but I haven't been a big TUF fan as of late because of the stupid antics in the house... its getting old. But I will peak, and I will definitely watch if Lashley is in like I said before.

Edit: I guess TUF10 tapings did start today, so that means no Lashley.

Guess your not watching then, your boy is not in.

Iam looking forward to season 10, I think it will be a good one, with or with out Kimbo. He will add abit more to it thou, which should be fun. I want to see how he & Dana are together on the show :lol:

dw13
06-02-2009, 12:10 PM
Guess your not watching then, your boy is not in.

Iam looking forward to season 10, I think it will be a good one, with or with out Kimbo. He will add abit more to it thou, which should be fun. I want to see how he & Dana are together on the show :lol:

Yeah, no Lashley isn't just hurting me though, it hurts the whole show.. and somewhat Bobby.

See, I'm more of a fan of the fighting, and the quality of it. Not the drama that has been going on in the past couple seasons.

Hope they get some quality on there, hopefully some real talent, not street talent. Like I said, I'll peak the first couple episodes just to gauge the quality.

two24four
06-02-2009, 11:49 PM
Four former NFL players will also be on season 10.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15070/quartet-of-nfl-vets-to-join-kimbo-slice-on-ufc-the-ultimate-fighter-10-cast.mma

Zangetsu
06-05-2009, 10:56 AM
We've got Strikeforce, WEC, and UFC all in the next eight days.

Of the three, I don't know which I'm most excited for. With Arlovski/Rogers added to the Strikeforce card, it'll be interesting to see if the Pitbull will suffer Arlovski syndrome ver. 2.0 after his most recent KO. Pulver/Brown II should be great, and Jose Aldo gets Cub Swanson in his toughest test to date. And who doesn't enjoy watching Wanderlei fight?

dw13
06-05-2009, 12:19 PM
We've got Strikeforce, WEC, and UFC all in the next eight days.

Of the three, I don't know which I'm most excited for. With Arlovski/Rogers added to the Strikeforce card, it'll be interesting to see if the Pitbull will suffer Arlovski syndrome ver. 2.0 after his most recent KO. Pulver/Brown II should be great, and Jose Aldo gets Cub Swanson in his toughest test to date. And who doesn't enjoy watching Wanderlei fight?

Strikeforce should be solid, I think he will be too technical for Rogers. Diaz/Smith will be a decent fight.. and Lawler/Shields is going to be great.

You mean Faber/Brown II obviously, and I'm extremely excited for it. Aldo vs. Swanson, we get to see Aldo and see if he really is the real deal.

Then the UFC card. The Ace vs. Wanderlei... Kongo vs. Cain (#1 contender match?).

Great week for fighting.

Zangetsu
06-05-2009, 03:43 PM
Oops, Pulver is on the card, but I don't know how I got that mixed up, but yeah, I can't wait to see Aldo fight again. His speed is an incredible weapon, and we still haven't seen his black-belt calibre BJJ skills.

As far as Kongo/Velasquez as a #1 contender fight, you've just now made me realize the sad state of the HW division in the UFC. Cain definitely has potential, and could be a champion at some point, but to put him in that position right now would show some serious desperation on the UFC's part. Kongo got beat by Heath Herring. BTW, I'm not arguing the point that these guys are two of the more deserving HW's the UFC has, I'm just amazed at how the weak the UFC HW division has become.

At this point, the UFC seriously needs to consider giving in to whatever demands Fedor had that was holding up negotiations. They have the #1 guy in each of the other four weightclasses (Penn, GSP, Silva, and Machida), and it is a crime that they don't have the #1 guy in the weightclass that has historically been the marquee division in combat sports. I know this has been talked to death for years now, but seeing "Kongo vs. Cain (#1 contender match?)" must've set me off.

dw13
06-05-2009, 03:51 PM
Oops, Pulver is on the card, but I don't know how I got that mixed up, but yeah, I can't wait to see Aldo fight again. His speed is an incredible weapon, and we still haven't seen his black-belt calibre BJJ skills.

As far as Kongo/Velasquez as a #1 contender fight, you've just now made me realize the sad state of the HW division in the UFC. Cain definitely has potential, and could be a champion at some point, but to put him in that position right now would show some serious desperation on the UFC's part. Kongo got beat by Heath Herring. BTW, I'm not arguing the point that these guys are two of the more deserving HW's the UFC has, I'm just amazed at how the weak the UFC HW division has become.

At this point, the UFC seriously needs to consider giving in to whatever demands Fedor had that was holding up negotiations. They have the #1 guy in each of the other four weightclasses (Penn, GSP, Silva, and Machida), and it is a crime that they don't have the #1 guy in the weightclass that has historically been the marquee division in combat sports. I know this has been talked to death for years now, but seeing "Kongo vs. Cain (#1 contender match?)" must've set me off.

Well, Kongo vs. Cain might take the winner of Randy vs. Nog. But I can't see anyone else in the running for that. (Carwin might also get the winner of Randy vs. Nog). UFC HW division is in a bit of shambles, but has decent young talent. I don't like Kongo either, but he has improved since that Heath fight. He has some solid TD defense as of late (I'm sure Cain will test that).

Gripsi is going to beat Pulver, mark my words too.

dw13
06-06-2009, 01:02 AM
Ok predictions for upcoming events:

Strikeforce:

Lawler over Shields - Unanimous Decision
Arlovski over Rogers - 1st round TKO
Diaz over Smith - 2nd round triangle

WEC 41:

Brown over Faber - 3rd round TKO (I'm going to love this fight either way)
Aldo over Swanson - 1st round TKO (Swanson can't get him to the ground quick enough)
Cerrone over Krause - 1st round armbar (don't know enough about Krause)
Grispi over Pulver - Unanimous Decision (I love Grispi and his size/youth)

UFC 99:

Franklin over Wanderlei - Unanimous Decision
Cain over Kongo - 2nd round stoppage (I really like Cain, but I'm not sure if he will beat Kongo)
Swick over Saunders - Unanimous Decision (Fight of the Night)
Davis over Hardy - 1st round TKO (Shut that hardy punk up)
Fisher over Uno - Unanimous Decision
CroCop over Al-Turk - 2nd round TKO

nyrblue2
06-06-2009, 08:06 AM
Why hasn't Cerrone had a re-match with Varner yet? Why hasn't Varner fought anyone since his title defense was stopped due to injury?

dw13
06-06-2009, 10:23 AM
Why hasn't Cerrone had a re-match with Varner yet? Why hasn't Varner fought anyone since his title defense was stopped due to injury?

Varner will not be ready until late summer/early fall. Detached retina was the worst of the injurys, but he also broke his hand and foot in the fight.

mrtybrodur30
06-06-2009, 10:40 AM
UFC HW division is pretty weak the best guy imo is Mir, they wont be getting Fedor though. It's interesting that they could have signed Josh Barnett but they didnt even try too according to him. Fedor or Barnett are both much much better than anyone in the UFC.

Zangetsu
06-06-2009, 02:14 PM
I wouldn't say that Barnett is much better than the Mir that beat Nogueira. Mir looked great in that fight, and stopped a guy that had never been stopped, even by Fedor (although Nog was a different fighter when he went the distance with Fedor twice). Barnett dominated Gilbert Yvel, but Yvel was totally out of his league on the ground.

Granted, Barnett is great, and I'm a huge fan, but I don't know if he could beat a motivated Mir. I am surprised, though, that the UFC passed on an opportunity to sign Barnett. I hadn't heard that news.

dw13
06-06-2009, 02:16 PM
I wouldn't say that Barnett is much better than the Mir that beat Nogueira. Mir looked great in that fight, and stopped a guy that had never been stopped, even by Fedor (although Nog was a different fighter when he went the distance with Fedor twice). Barnett dominated Gilbert Yvel, but Yvel was totally out of his league on the ground.

Granted, Barnett is great, and I'm a huge fan, but I don't know if he could beat a motivated Mir. I am surprised, though, that the UFC passed on an opportunity to sign Barnett. I hadn't heard that news.

Yeah, the Mir that beat Nog would definitely give Barnett a true run. Barnett would of been a nice add, and I'm not sure where you heard/read that they passed on the chance to get him.

dw13
06-06-2009, 11:20 PM
Props to Strikeforce for a good event.

Diaz impressed, and Shields was very impressive.

Rogers over AA was pretty crazy, and that quick.

mrtybrodur30
06-07-2009, 01:08 AM
Yeah, the Mir that beat Nog would definitely give Barnett a true run. Barnett would of been a nice add, and I'm not sure where you heard/read that they passed on the chance to get him.It was in a couple videos with Barnett he said it himself when he was a free agent nobody from UFC even tried to contact or talk with him about anything so he figured they just didnt want the best fighters at that weight. Also im not saying Mir is bad like i said earlier i think hes by far the best HW in the UFC i just think Fedor and Barnett are a notch above him. But i think a Fedor/Barnett vs Mir match would be a good one for sure.

Zangetsu
06-07-2009, 02:53 AM
Really hard to believe that Rogers took out Arlovski. Arlovski immediately went into retreat mode as soon as Rogers went on the offensive. It'll be interesting to see where AA goes from here.

Diaz is an asshole, but the guy is an outstanding fighter. I can't think of many other guys that routinely land 150+ strikes in a single fight.

I hadn't been that impressed with Shields coming into this fight, but he really capitalized on the opportunity that Lawler gave him.

Overall, Strikeforce really impressed tonight. All five fights were solid. If they can keep this up, they could become the #2 franchise behind the UFC, as Affliction seems to be struggling a bit.

Next up, WEC. Faber/Brown II and Aldo's biggest test. Can't wait.

dw13
06-07-2009, 10:32 PM
You don't get much better than the shows the WEC puts on man. These guys battle it out at full speed, it is just always awesome to watch. I wish people would open their eyes and realize, these guys would be in the UFC if they carried their weight divisions. Stop taking the UFC name to such heart, because WEC puts on just as good, if not better events.

Grispi is really an up-and-comer, and even if he doesn't get to the top at 145, he has a chance to go to 155, he is a 5'11 145'er. He has a good future ahead of him.

Cerrone did what I expected, that kid looks decent though, Krause.

Aldo was phenominal, he is just so unpredictable. He is the 145 Anderson Silva. Yes, I said it. He is a clone, of Silva. I can't wait to see more of him. Maybe he gets a title shot, maybe Faber?

Congrats to Mike Brown and Urjiah Faber, they both were awesome tonight. Mike Brown proved he can go 5, and Urjiah toughed out that broken hand to make it a very good fight. Mike Brown is a warrior at 145, not sure how many guys can really compete with him. He wears you down, and no one has that juice that Faber always has.

Faber didn't use the injured hand as an excuse, and he shouldn't. It happens unfortunately all the time in MMA, and it has to go on. Mike Brown is the best 145'er in the world, and Urjiah no doubt in my mind is #2.

I think they need to slow Aldo down, and give him against Faber when he recovers, and then the winner go back at Brown.

I'm not sure they will so I could see Garcia/Faber when he is back and ready to go, and Aldo getting the first shot at Brown. That will be a good fight, it would be interesting to see strategies.

Anyways, GREAT card tonight, he could of been the best event I've seen all year, without a doubt.

nyrblue2
06-07-2009, 10:36 PM
That knockout by Aldo was insane. While Faber/Brown was awesome, I give fight of the night honors to Jorgensen/Banuelos. Great showing by Cerrone as well. Major props to Faber for putting on a hell of a show for 4 and ahalf rounds with a broken hand.

dw13
06-07-2009, 10:52 PM
That knockout by Aldo was insane. While Faber/Brown was awesome, I give fight of the night honors to Jorgensen/Banuelos. Great showing by Cerrone as well. Major props to Faber for putting on a hell of a show for 4 and ahalf rounds with a broken hand.

Aldo is a crazy guy, I really want to see his ground game, I hear nothing but awesome things.

Jorgensen and Banuelos always do that, it was an awesome fight. Fight of the night was Faber/Brown though.. too much on the line.

Zangetsu
06-08-2009, 12:35 AM
Aldo didn't disappoint. He really deserves a shot at the title ATP, but he's said that he's been thinking of dropping down to 135, so I don't know which title he should be battling for.

Faber/Brown was impressive, and while it sucks that Faber was compromised with his hand injury, that doesn't take away from what Brown accomplished.

In the end, WEC really does put on a good show. That being said, I really don't understand why the WEC exists. Just imagine an eight division UFC. I realize that combined with my recent rant over Fedor, I'm beginning to come off as an MMA idealist, but I really don't understand why the UFC wouldn't want a fight like Faber/Brown II as a main event on their PPV.

dw13
06-08-2009, 12:52 AM
While I agree the 145 division should be added. Its deep in the WEC, not to mention Joe Warren, Kid, and others from Japan that could be brought over.

The 135 is still somewhat suspect after Benevidez, Torres and Bowles, so it should stay.

I like the WEC though and hopes it stays as is.

Faber I think is more likely to go to 135 next, than Aldo is.

dw13
06-08-2009, 11:24 AM
http://twitpic.com/6w0e7

X-Ray of Urjiahs hand off his twitter page, pretty messed up.

nyrblue2
06-08-2009, 07:08 PM
Ouch

two24four
06-11-2009, 12:54 PM
My picks for UFC 99 this weekend.

Rich Franklin over Wanderlei Silva
Cheick Kongo over Cain Velasquez
Mike Swick over Ben Saunders
Marcus Davis over Dan Hardy
Spencer Fisher over Caol Uno
Mostapha Al Turk over Mirko Cro Cop

dw13
06-11-2009, 01:22 PM
Ok predictions for upcoming events:
UFC 99:

Franklin over Wanderlei - Unanimous Decision
Cain over Kongo - 2nd round stoppage (I really like Cain, but I'm not sure if he will beat Kongo)
Swick over Saunders - Unanimous Decision (Fight of the Night)
Davis over Hardy - 1st round TKO (Shut that hardy punk up)
Fisher over Uno - Unanimous Decision
CroCop over Al-Turk - 2nd round TKO

I'll stick to my predictions.

Dubz
06-11-2009, 07:06 PM
I just picked up the game....Havent plugged it in yet, but I got it:cool:

dw13
06-13-2009, 05:04 PM
Solid event, I won't say anything for those watching the taped one at 10PM on PPV.

Zangetsu
06-14-2009, 02:27 AM
Good show. Not great, but for a card with no marquee names, it was solid.

Hardy-Davis winds up being the unlikely fight of the night. Hardy's trash talking seems like it had an effect on Davis. This is obviously the biggest win of Hardy's career, but I don't see him as a contender at 170.

Uno needs to develop something that resembles a stand-up game if he wants to remain relevant in modern MMA. Fisher showed just how one-dimensional Uno can be with some excellent take down defense.

Swick/Saunders was a huge disappointment, but it definitely proves that Swick is still relevant. He's not quite ready for a title shot, but he seems to be rounding into a quality fighter. Besides he's the only MMA'er with a WWE style finishing move. The next "Swick-i-tine" can't be too far off.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see al Turk appeal this loss. That was one of the worst eyepokes I've ever seen. You could actually see the cut on his eye. As for CroCop, he didn't look as bad as he had in his previous couple of UFC bouts, but I fear the old CroCop may be gone forever.

As big and strong and athletic as Cheick Kongo is, the man has absolutely no ground game. I know Velasquez is a talented wrestler, but Kongo put up zero resistance. Once the fight went to the ground, Velasquez may as well have been fighting a training dummy. I was thoroughly impressed with the relentlessness of Velasquez.

If somebody told me before hand that the Franklin/Wanderlei fight would've started as slowly as it did, I never would've believed them. Props to Franklin for his great gameplanning. He really did look comfortable at 195. It would be the perfect weightclass for him. As for Wanderlei, he definitely gassed early, and I suspect that he may have known that his cardio wasn't where it should've been. He never starts so slow. Anyway, he's going to have to improve about 20-fold if he wants to have any shot at The Spider.

Zangetsu
06-14-2009, 02:51 AM
BTW, Tim Sylvia got KO'ed by Ray Mercer in a MMA bout tonight. Here's a video of the fight (it'll probably get removed, but here it is while it lasts).

YouTube - Ray Mercer vs. Tim Sylvia Bragging Rights in Birmingham Al

I'm sure this will start the "boxers are better fighters than MMA'ers" debate amongst the mainstream sports world, but I'd bet my entire life savings on Fedor against any of the twelve current HW boxing "champions".

BTW, this was not a good week for former UFC HW champs. Arlovski and Sylvia losing as heavy favorites only a week apart is not something I was expecting to see.

two24four
06-20-2009, 11:56 PM
Great fight between Diego & Clay tonight, wow, I could watch fights like that all night, did they ever come out throwing to start round 1.

Gotta love the engery Clay brings to a fight, dude can take a punch/kick as well, I thought he was out a couple of times tonight. The more I see Clay fight the more I like him, he looked like he could go another 3-4 rounds the way he was jumping around after the fight.

dw13
06-21-2009, 01:46 PM
Great fight between Diego & Clay tonight, wow, I could watch fights like that all night, did they ever come out throwing to start round 1.

Gotta love the engery Clay brings to a fight, dude can take a punch/kick as well, I thought he was out a couple of times tonight. The more I see Clay fight the more I like him, he looked like he could go another 3-4 rounds the way he was jumping around after the fight.

Was a good one, but I'm sure Diego could of gone 3-4 rounds well. Both are cardio freaks.

Dubz
06-21-2009, 06:01 PM
OK let me get this out....FUCK

What happened. I was watching on Spike at around 11:35 went to get wife (five minute drive)after watching the Brit/brit match. Came back and they had Joe Rogin making fucking jokes. I didnt see the US/Brit fight or the Diego fight. WTF:wtf:

two24four
06-21-2009, 07:24 PM

What happened. I was watching on Spike at around 11:35 went to get wife (five minute drive)after watching the Brit/brit match. Came back and they had Joe Rogin making fucking jokes. I didnt see the US/Brit fight or the Diego fight. WTF:wtf:

You must have came back after 12am, cause it pretty much ended right at 12.

Did you watch any if the Rogan thing? He's crazy haha.

boredguy
06-21-2009, 09:19 PM

Sure you weren't watching on Sportsnet before you left then switched to Spike when you came back? It started quite a bit later on SN.

Dubz
06-21-2009, 09:47 PM
Sure you weren't watching on Sportsnet before you left then switched to Spike when you came back? It started quite a bit later on SN.

Ah shit....I did switch TV's. Went to bed to watch the rest. Thats probably what happened.
Crap. It started around 11:15 so it was probably SN then I came home and wanted to catch the rest in bed and automatically put it on Spike.

:dunce:

Zangetsu
06-21-2009, 11:56 PM

Gotta love the engery Clay brings to a fight, dude can take a punch/kick as well, I thought he was out a couple of times tonight. The more I see Clay fight the more I like him, he looked like he could go another 3-4 rounds the way he was jumping around after the fight.Just watched that fight, and wow, that's what MMA is all about. Both guys gave it all they had, and both guys showed well rounded skills.

I've been a huge Guida fan since his fight with Tyson Griffin, which is still one of my all-time favorite fights.

Dubz
06-22-2009, 08:18 PM

Was a good one, but I'm sure Diego could of gone 3-4 rounds well. Both are cardio freaks.

Just watched that fight, and wow, that's what MMA is all about. Both guys gave it all they had, and both guys showed well rounded skills.

I've been a huge Guida fan since his fight with Tyson Griffin, which is still one of my all-time favorite fights.

None of you guys made mention of who won the fight? I would also like to know who won the US/Brit fight?

I know I could look look it up....but im dependent and wouldnt want it any other way;)

Zangetsu
06-22-2009, 09:07 PM
I'll do you one better.

http://kojunkie.com/clay-guida-vs-diego-sanchez-fight-video-tuf-9-finale-2.html (Sanchez/Guida)

http://mmabloodbath.blogspot.com/2009/06/damarques-johnson-vs-james-wilks-video.html (Johnson/Wilks)

Seeing as these are UFC fights, I can't guarantee that they'll be up for long, but both fights are worth watching.

dw13
06-22-2009, 09:12 PM
Sanchez > Guida
Pearson > Winner

Dubz
06-22-2009, 09:47 PM
Thanks guys...I knew Johnson was too sloppy. The right hand is a winner with that guy. I caught the Pearson fight (very technical) I'll watch Sanchez fight later but am pretty sure I know how he won. I kinda like him because hes the guy people hate.

Dubz
06-27-2009, 06:33 PM
Wow huge props to Clay....he got kicked square in the face after taking 10 or more uppercuts in the early going. I like Sanchez more than most people, I think. Hes pretty good.(Now)

Great fight. Finally got to see it.

dw13
06-27-2009, 06:48 PM
Sapp vs. Lashley tonight, I'm buying the fight... although disappointed Din Thomas pulled out of his fight.

dw13
07-09-2009, 03:01 PM
UFC 100:

Mir over Lesnar (not picking by what, I'm hoping, and I'll say round 2)

GSP over Alves - 4th round armbar

Hendo over Bis - Unanimous Decision

Fitch over Thiago - Unanimous Decision (I think Thiago could very will win, but it wouldn't be decision, possibly a KO *not sure about Fitch's chin after GSP cracked on him, or possibly a surprise triangle, or armbar)

Belcher over Akayama - I think this is the upset, everyone is ready for Akayama to come over and show big things, I don't see it.

Bonnar over Coleman - 1st round TKO

CB over Lawlor - 1st round RNC

Jon Jones over O'Brien - 2nd round stoppage

Mac Danzig over Jim Miller - Unanimous Decision

Dong Hyun Kim over TJ Grant - Unanimous Decision *My Bet for F.O.N, very underrated fight.

mrtybrodur30
07-09-2009, 04:34 PM
All i really want to see is Henderson pound Bisping.

At first i wanted Mir to win, but now i want Lesnar to pound Mir which i think he will if Mir wants to stand and trade with him. Mir's head is so big after that win against a very bad Nog i think he will fall to Lesnar. Mir was saying in an interview after he beats Lesnar he wants to fight Fedor lol

GSP/Alves i hope will be an exciting fight, same with Fitch and Thiago

I hate CB so i hope lawlor wins.

All in all i just hope this card lives up to expectations and we all get to witness a great night of fights!

Zangetsu
07-09-2009, 06:55 PM
I agree with all those picks except the Akiyama upset. I see Akiyama as the Japanese version of Bisping. They'll set him up with a bunch of fights he should win to grow the UFC's popularity in Japan, but he'll never challenge for the title. I know that he's not exactly the most popular, or even well liked, Japanese fighter, but the controversy that has surrounded him has made him a celebrity of sorts.

As I'm reading reports out of the camps of Mir/Lesnar, I'm really starting to worry that Lesnar will actually beat Mir. He's going to be way bigger than Mir come fight time and seems to be planning on keeping the fight standing. One way or another, I just hope the fight doesn't go into the late rounds. Both of these guys will probably gas toward the end of the 2nd round.

Henderson/Bisping should be fun. Bisping will probably run a mile or so around the ring. He'll land a couple of his flurries of punches, but Henderson's chin is too good. Henderson would be smart to make it wrestling match, but he won't.

GSP/Alves is the real main event here. Alves might be the most dangerous guy that GSP has ever fought, but GSP is too fast, too skilled, and most importantly, too smart for Alves. I'm expecting a grappling clinic by GSP.

The one thing that I'm really wondering about is if the UFC will be able to squeeze all these fights into three hours. A number of the main card fights could easily go the distance (Henderson/Bisping, Akiyama/Belcher, Fitch/Thiago, even GSP/Alves if it turns into a grappling match). Something tells me that this one could go over the three hour window, and I don't remember the last time that happened.

Zangetsu
07-09-2009, 07:07 PM
At first i wanted Mir to win, but now i want Lesnar to pound Mir which i think he will if Mir wants to stand and trade with him. Mir's head is so big after that win against a very bad Nog i think he will fall to Lesnar. Mir was saying in an interview after he beats Lesnar he wants to fight Fedor lolMir's confident, I'll give him that.

Fedor would crush Mir. Fedor is better in every aspect of fighting than Mir. The only area that Mir might have a small advantage is in the submission game, but Fedor is the superior grappler and could probably neutralize Mir's BJJ.

dw13
07-09-2009, 07:18 PM
Mir's confident, I'll give him that.

Fedor would crush Mir. Fedor is better in every aspect of fighting than Mir. The only area that Mir might have a small advantage is in the submission game, but Fedor is the superior grappler and could probably neutralize Mir's BJJ.

I agree. I do think if Mir stands with Brock though, he still has a chance to outpoint him and fusterate him. He will do what Randy didn't do, get in and get out. Kick box some and stay quick. I think Brock into late in the 2nd round will start to gas. A guy that big just will, and he looked tired after the 1st round vs. Randy.

I agree about GSP, I don't like GSP, or Greg Jackson so I'm hoping Alves surprise KO's him but I think GSP will put on a grappling clinic, eventually finishing it late.

I have seen alot of Akiyama in his Japan fights, and I like him but I think Belcher is going to outstrike the hell out of him from the outside. We will see though, I've always thought Belcher had great talent.

It'll be a fun one!

two24four
07-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Finally UFC 100 is only about 9 hours away, cant wait, here are my picks.

Mir over Lesner.
GSP over Alves.
Henderson over Bisping.
Fitch over Thiago.
Akiyama over Belcher.
Bonnar over Coleman.
Danzig over Miller.
Jones over O'Brien
Hyun Kim over Grant.
Dollaway over Lawler.
Grice over Gugerty.

Let's get this shit going.

szuturon
07-12-2009, 12:40 AM
I loved that Lesnar/Mir fight... actually... "fight" may be too generous.

Jake
07-12-2009, 12:43 AM
A new level of douch baggetry was achieved tonight. I cant stand Lesner and that WWF (WWE,C, whatever) bullshit has no place in the UFC in my opinion. I really hope this is not the start of a new trend. I never viewed Lesner as the champ but now I have no choice. I know its late, but I called Lesner in the first even though Mir is one of my favorites. I figured Lesner would go after him like he did with cotoure. Its not his skill but rather his size that makes him damn near unbeatable. I want to see Fedor take him on (actually I waws hoping Mir would break his arm Silva style or something). I hate him

Loved the Henderson fight- can't stand Bisbing. I hope his jaw is broken. You wont hear him running his cock holster for a while now!!!!

If anybody had a shot at dethroning GSP I figured it was Alves. I always thought GSP was kinda overrated but he proved me wrong tonight. WTF was Alves thinking by not preparing to defend the takedown when fighting GSP????? He got thrown around like a rag doll, GSP took him down at his will- poor outing by Alves. I expected more outta that fight

Zangetsu
07-12-2009, 01:15 AM
I was not happy about Lesnar's antics. He improved his composure and came in with a solid gameplan, which I admire. But his lack of respect proves Mir's comments about Lesnar being a "professional fighter" rather than a mixed martial artist.

Other guys, like Nick Diaz, seem to act like d-bags to promote a fight (maybe Diaz is just a d-bag, but I can tolerate his antics moreso than the crap Lesnar pulled). Everything he did, from refusing to touch gloves to forcing the camera guy to focus on him rather than the belt shows that he is a classless showboat who would cares more about being in the spotlight than he cares about the sport.

Zangetsu
07-12-2009, 01:22 AM
BTW, the P4P discussion just got a lot more complicated. Fedor isn't fighting enough to clearly maintain his #1 spot. Silva hasn't had a "great" fight in more than a year. Machida needs more of a resume. Brown and Torres won't get recognition from casual fans (not that this should affect people's P4P rankings, but it does anyway). BJ was recently dominated by GSP.

Basically, with tonight's dominant performance, GSP may have vaulted himself all the way to the #1 spot. Thoughts?

dw13
07-12-2009, 02:37 AM
Basically, with tonight's dominant performance, GSP may have vaulted himself all the way to the #1 spot. Thoughts?

I think he just solidified himself as 1C, to go with 1A- Fedor, 1B-Silva, 1C-GSP, and 2-Machida.

Don't really feel like typing about tonight, but fuck Lesnar.

mrtybrodur30
07-12-2009, 04:01 AM
BTW, the P4P discussion just got a lot more complicated. Fedor isn't fighting enough to clearly maintain his #1 spot. Silva hasn't had a "great" fight in more than a year. Machida needs more of a resume. Brown and Torres won't get recognition from casual fans (not that this should affect people's P4P rankings, but it does anyway). BJ was recently dominated by GSP.

Basically, with tonight's dominant performance, GSP may have vaulted himself all the way to the #1 spot. Thoughts?No way GSP is above Fedor and Fedor is fighting in a few weeks, they both have been fighting within a few weeks of each other the last few fights. IMO not only is Fedor ahead of him Silva is as well. These two guys finish fights. look at the last 3 decisions Fedor had all 3 of them have been wars with Crocop and Nog and Fedor didnt lay on them the whole time. Silva while his last fight was a decision will usually finish the fight with authority. Yeah GSP dominated against Alves but he didnt even come close to finishing Alves he outwrestled him for more than half the fight.Atleast in his other decisions GSP did a little bit more but this fight was dull. Hell ill even throw Machida ahead of GSP for right now. But all in all each of the 4 is dominant right now in their weight class. On paper nobody can beat these guys right now its pretty crazy.

As for UFC 100 Henderson delivered and thats about it!!

Should be a good rematch.

Also loved that CB got choked out haha

keyboard
07-12-2009, 09:40 AM
Yeah GSP dominated against Alves but he didnt even come close to finishing Alves he outwrestled him for more than half the fight.He almost finished the fight when he knocked Alves down. At no point during the match did Alves have a chance of winning the round, let alone the fight, so while he didn't come close to finishing him in the classic sense, the fight was over in the first round. You also have to wonder if the groin injury slowed St. Pierre down in the third round surviving the fight was more of a goal than finishing Alves off.

That Lesner fight was like a WWE flashback. Everything from not touching gloves to insulting him after the victory to flipping off the crowd to the "bad guy" interview. It was tasteless, but every sport has its sore spots (Avery, Owens, etc.), no reason UFC is any different. He's doing a great job though for marketing because I guarantee I'll watch his next fight to see him lose.

dw13
07-12-2009, 10:02 AM
He almost finished the fight when he knocked Alves down. At no point during the match did Alves have a chance of winning the round, let alone the fight, so while he didn't come close to finishing him in the classic sense, the fight was over in the first round. You also have to wonder if the groin injury slowed St. Pierre down in the third round surviving the fight was more of a goal than finishing Alves off.

There is no almosts in MMA. Yeah, GSP dominated but he couldn't finish him, which is one of the keys to the P4P argument.

Mrty, while I do agree with you that Fedor is #1, Silva and GSP at 1B, 1C just because of how dominating they have been over the past couple years.

I'm not a fan of the P4P talks either way.

two24four
07-12-2009, 11:23 AM
GSP is awesome, even more so for fighting thorugh that groin injury last night & really not missing a beat, Alves really had nothing last night for GSP.

Was great watching Bisping get folded up like he did, great punch by Hendo, haha.

I aslo cant stand Lesner, go back to the WWE if your are going to act like that & not show any respect for your opponent after the fight.

Zangetsu
07-12-2009, 04:48 PM
I don't think that you can necessarily equate "finishing" with dominating. GSP has KO power, solid BJJ, unmatched wrestling, superior conditioning, impecable gameplanning, and he may be the best athlete in MMA.

Combine all that with the class with which he carries himself, and you have to consider him in a 1a/1b/1c trio with Silva and Fedor.

dw13
07-12-2009, 05:59 PM
Combine all that with the class with which he carries himself, and you have to consider him in a 1a/1b/1c trio with Silva and Fedor.

Completely agree.

Chilly_Willy
07-12-2009, 08:32 PM
I really enjoy watching brock fight, its a spectical but that was really no-class to pull those antics. He did apologize at the press conference but still get control of yourself. Getting in a guys face when he just wabbled to his feet, what a d-bag.

Dubz
07-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Huh? The way I see it is Brock kicks ass and get dissed - then shoots the fingers out. Cant blame the guy....its who he is. I dont see anyone easily taking him out at this time so he is the shit....I know Mir has some skillls/ability but Brock made it look like a school ground beating both times they met.:dunno:

AND

If I was Mir with a fucking big fat black blue and purple face after the first round....I wouldnt have been laughing goading the big bastard. FUCK MIR....Hes queer

GSP rules and WOW did bisBINGO ever earn that moniker

dw13
07-12-2009, 09:37 PM
Brock can talk all the junk he wants before the game. Once he wins/loses a fight, its time to pay respect to your opponent. Dana told him he needs to get his shit together, and he apologized to Dana and said it was an embarassment. So lets hope he becomes a man next fight.
Carwin will be the guy to beat Brock, mark that down.
GSP is very good, and has very little competition in such a good division. Kampmann, Swick, Fitch, Koscheck are all great, but cannot beat GSP
Bisping folded up like a lawn chair.. and if Hendo doesn't get a title shot soon, he will go to 205 again.
CB got choked out by Lawlor in 55 seconds, I'm amazed.
Someone scored Akiyama 30-27 over Belcher... couldn't believe it.

Dubz
07-12-2009, 09:49 PM
Brock can talk all the junk he wants before the game. Once he wins/loses a fight, its time to pay respect to your opponent. Dana told him he needs to get his shit together, and he apologized to Dana and said it was an embarassment. So lets hope he becomes a man next fight.
Carwin will be the guy to beat Brock, mark that down.
GSP is very good, and has very little competition in such a good division. Kampmann, Swick, Fitch, Koscheck are all great, but cannot beat GSP
Bisping folded up like a lawn chair.. and if Hendo doesn't get a title shot soon, he will go to 205 again.
CB got choked out by Lawlor in 55 seconds, I'm amazed.
Someone scored Akiyama 30-27 over Belcher... couldn't believe it.

Show some emotion...that was a great show man:headbang:

Oh yeah let me say somthing about that that Akiwhatava fight.....Im not a judge and dont know exactly, specifically, precisely or objectively what they award a winner on....but will venture out on a limb and say getting your ass kicked has little to do with it.

Zangetsu
07-12-2009, 09:53 PM
I'm already getting sick of talking about Brock's antics. Needless to say, I will not be rooting for Brock to win anytime soon.

After watching Velazquez against Kongo, I really like Carwin's chances against Cain. If that fight earns Carwin a title shot, I think he'd definitely be a test for Brock.

This is a wholly separate discussion, but is it also time to separate the 205-265 weight class? I know the talent pool seems thin right now in the HW division, but maybe that's just because some smaller guys that can't make 205 aren't competitive against guys like Lesnar and Carwin. Just a thought.

I think Alves is the guy that provides the most competition for GSP. He trains in an outstanding camp, and with another year's worth of seasoning and two or three more fights, he could be the guy to eventually unseat GSP. It could turn into another UFC trilogy.

As much as I was hoping that Akirama would win, I have to admit that I was also shocked to hear that 30-27 judgement.

dw13
07-12-2009, 09:57 PM
I'm already getting sick of talking about Brock's antics. Needless to say, I will not be rooting for Brock to win anytime soon.

After watching Velazquez against Kongo, I really like Carwin's chances against Cain. If that fight earns Carwin a title shot, I think he'd definitely be a test for Brock.

This is a wholly separate discussion, but is it also time to separate the 205-265 weight class? I know the talent pool seems thin right now in the HW division, but maybe that's just because some smaller guys that can't make 205 aren't competitive against guys like Lesnar and Carwin. Just a thought.

I think Alves is the guy that provides the most competition for GSP. He trains in an outstanding camp, and with another year's worth of seasoning and two or three more fights, he could be the guy to eventually unseat GSP. It could turn into another UFC trilogy.

As much as I was hoping that Akirama would win, I have to admit that I was also shocked to hear that 30-27 judgement.

I couldn't agree more Zang. I'm not going to ever venture out and route for Brock, in the least bit. Carwin is a top notch wrestler himself, and should be able to keep Cain standing and I can't see that lasting long after what I saw in the Kongo fight.

Carwin has legit wrestling, size and hands to beat Brock, there is no doubt in my mind he can do it.

As for Alves, I agree. He is young, and if he keeps the drive and comes into each and every fight in the shape he did tonight, he will be a legit guy to come back and give GSP a run. I'm a huge ATT fan, and he has a great group of coaches there.

I'd love to see Alves go ahead and fight the winner of Swick/Kampmann.

I thought Belcher could of easily won that fight. I saw the fight go, Round 1- Akiyama.. Round 2/3- Belcher

mrtybrodur30
07-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Carwin is the only guy with wrestling, striking ability and size to beat Lenar in the UFC.

edit lol just posted the same thing as above but yeah were both right, his wrestling is good but he can beat brock standing up by a large margin

Akiyama while his face looked worse he did win the fight he had some decent moments with the hands as Belcher did but he also had the takedowns those were why he won. 30-27 might have been a little much but he still won the fight imo.

Zangetsu
07-12-2009, 10:10 PM
Akiyama stole round 3 with the late judo throw. I think that was the difference in that fight.

dw13
07-12-2009, 10:31 PM
Akiyama stole round 3 with the late judo throw. I think that was the difference in that fight.

Yeah, I said to my buddies he won with that last throw. I didn't have a problem with Akiyama winning, it was the 30-27 judge that made me laugh.

two24four
07-12-2009, 11:01 PM
You can put me down as someone as well who will not cheer for Lesner, now when he acts like that.

CayugaPosse
07-12-2009, 11:09 PM
I'm not vindicating alot of what Brock did, especially the sponsor slam honestly which is just stupid for no reason whatsoever.

But I deffinitely wouldn't lump refusing to touch gloves before the fight with the stuff he did after. The refusal to touch beforehand I can see, with how much shit Mir talked about him.

dw13
07-12-2009, 11:14 PM
But I deffinitely wouldn't lump refusing to touch gloves before the fight with the stuff he did after. The refusal to touch beforehand I can see, with how much shit Mir talked about him.

I'm not sure anyone in the MMA world has a problem with them not touching gloves. It happens in big rivalry fights, they don't do it. No one has a problem with it.

It's Brock before and after the fight, always having no respect for his opponent. He says himself he doesn't respect his opponent. While I read, Brock and Mir both exchanged pictures with each others kids before the fight, which is cool.. Brock made a fool of himself.

But I do get what you are saying.

Chilly_Willy
07-14-2009, 02:25 PM
Hey all. I remember a site I found where you could select fighters name by pull down and it had all career fights cronologically for that fighter listed from various streaming locations. If I found it again want me to post it? Or is it against the rules? I doubt copywrite laws are being followed.

b_illin
07-14-2009, 02:39 PM
Hey all. I remember a site I found where you could select fighters name by pull down and it had all career fights cronologically for that fighter listed from various streaming locations. If I found it again want me to post it? Or is it against the rules? I doubt copywrite laws are being followed.

there aren't many rules around here besides don't be a total jackass...I think you can post it.

Zangetsu
07-14-2009, 03:35 PM
Ha, yeah...

I know better than most the rules regarding posting links to other sites (let's just say there was nearly a fantasy hockey forum war that erupted in a thread that I created).

If you post it and it shows up as ******.com, then the admins have censored the site, and you aren't allowed to post it. Otherwise, I think you'll be alright.

two24four
07-14-2009, 05:29 PM
GSP will be out till at least Jan 8th with his injury from the sounds of it.

dw13
07-14-2009, 05:42 PM
GSP will be out till at least Jan 8th with his injury from the sounds of it.

Georges St. Pierre: Must have groin injury cleared by an orthopedic doctor. Otherwise, suspended until Jan. 8. Even if cleared, suspended until Aug. 11 with no contact until Aug. 2 for precautionary reasons.

Depends on the doctor. I'd say if he finished out how strong he did, he should be cleared. Probably won't train again for a bit, but before January 8th I would think.

dw13
07-15-2009, 09:11 AM
http://mmajunkie.com/news/15514/mike-brown-next-defends-wec-featherweight-title-against-jose-aldo-in-november-at-wec-45.mma

Brown vs. Aldo is confirmed for WEC 45.

I'll also have some predictions for Dream later :D

Zangetsu
07-15-2009, 10:40 AM
Wow. I thought Aldo needed one more fight, but I'm excited to hear that the WEC brass is giving him this opportunity. Talk about a classic matchup of speed vs. strength.

dw13
07-15-2009, 10:48 AM
Wow. I thought Aldo needed one more fight, but I'm excited to hear that the WEC brass is giving him this opportunity. Talk about a classic matchup of speed vs. strength.

I thought he would get one more fight before, but who else is ready to fight Brown? I actually thought Aldo would wait to see how Torres does against Bowles and if Torres wins, he would drop down for the 135 belt.

Either way, should be a great fight. Can't wait to see Browns strategy. Does he want to stay on the feet and be technical? Or take him down and see Aldos ground game? I'm guessing the latter.

Are you ready for Dream10 Zang? Ribiero/Aoki and Filho/Manhoef both interest me big time.

Zangetsu
07-15-2009, 11:08 AM
Yeah, we've heard so much about Aldo's ground game, but nobody seems to know just how good he is on the ground. Brown's background is in wrestling, so he'll be comfortable in Aldo's guard.

That being said, I think Brown's strength will allow him to dictate the fight. BJJ guys aren't necessarily good at taking the fight to the ground, and I don't expect to see Aldo pull guard. So, yeah, I agree. Brown has an interesting tactical decision to make.

I'm looking forward to Dream, but is there really only the semi's/final, reserve bout, and two other fights?

I've seen reports of a CroCop fight, but I've also heard that he recently resigned with the UFC.

dw13
07-15-2009, 11:11 AM
Yeah, we've heard so much about Aldo's ground game, but nobody seems to know just how good he is on the ground. Brown's background is in wrestling, so he'll be comfortable in Aldo's guard.

That being said, I think Brown's strength will allow him to dictate the fight. BJJ guys aren't necessarily good at taking the fight to the ground, and I don't expect to see Aldo pull guard. So, yeah, I agree. Brown has an interesting tactical decision to make.

I'm looking forward to Dream, but is there really only the semi's/final, reserve bout, and two other fights?

I've seen reports of a CroCop fight, but I've also heard that he recently resigned with the UFC.

They still haven't announced the CroCop fight, I'm not sure it'll take place to be honest since he is fighting JDS soon.

Yeah, the dream card is small this time around for some odd reason.

As for Brown/Aldo, I think you could be right. Brown might just be real technical on the ground and do it that way. It'll be a fun fight I think.

Zangetsu
07-15-2009, 11:44 AM
If, in fact, the Dream 10 card is as small as has been reported, it may be a bad sign for MMA in Japan. I remember watching an interview on HDNet (before Time Warner stopped broadcasting it, dammit) where somebody said that the casual Japanese fan isn't really an MMA fan, they were a PrideFC fan, and they are only following Dream because they think it is the new Pride (which it obviously is not).

If attendance for this event is low, it will be hard to ignore in a venue as large a Saitama Super Arena, and the FEG guys may be looking at a situation where events like the Dynamite event would be more profitable. Now I'm not saying that K-1 sucks, but it's not nearly as interesting as MMA. So, I'm definitely rooting for Dream, but I'm a little worried.

Still, this Dream event should be interesting. I've always been a huge fan of "Mach," and watching him cave in Aoki's face with his knees only cemented my appreciation for him. The other guys in the WWGP are somewhat less proven, but they all bring something different to the table. It's a little like the old days where style fought style to see who which was the best.

Aoki/Ribeiro should be interesting. Vitor is better standing (as are about 90% of all LW's), but Aoki is one of the best submission artists in MMA today. Vitor is no slouch on the ground, though, so he could neutralize Aoki's ground game.

The big question is, though, what will we see from Paulo Filho? This guy was once thought to be a top-3 MW, but his most recent fights have been lackluster, and his last fight was a disaster. He was totally absent/disinterested in that second Sonnen fight. There's no doubt that Filho has talent, but I don't know if he has the brains/heart to be a successful fighter. He better be prepared for Manhoef; that guy pushes the pace like few in the MW division.

dw13
07-15-2009, 11:57 AM
Still, this Dream event should be interesting. I've always been a huge fan of "Mach," and watching him cave in Aoki's face with his knees only cemented my appreciation for him. The other guys in the WWGP are somewhat less proven, but they all bring something different to the table. It's a little like the old days where style fought style to see who which was the best.

Aoki/Ribeiro should be interesting. Vitor is better standing (as are about 90% of all LW's), but Aoki is one of the best submission artists in MMA today. Vitor is no slouch on the ground, though, so he could neutralize Aoki's ground game.

The big question is, though, what will we see from Paulo Filho? This guy was once thought to be a top-3 MW, but his most recent fights have been lackluster, and his last fight was a disaster. He was totally absent/disinterested in that second Sonnen fight. There's no doubt that Filho has talent, but I don't know if he has the brains/heart to be a successful fighter. He better be prepared for Manhoef; that guy pushes the pace like few in the MW division.

Couldn't agree more with all of that.

I think Manhoef could possibly KO Filho, and I think Ribiero has a great chance against Aoki. I love Mach to win the WWGP

Chilly_Willy
07-15-2009, 09:03 PM
I found this site http://www.mmalinker.com/

I like how you can just pick a fighter and go instead of all fights from anywhere lumped together. I couldn't find the one with cronological option. That was awesome because you could see a fighter progress through their record. Its fun when an event comes up to go through a fighters career and see what the upcomming fight means to them what they've been through etc...

two24four
07-19-2009, 11:50 AM
Sounds like GSP wont need surgery, so he should be back sooner then they thought, great news.

dw13
07-19-2009, 11:51 AM
Sounds like GSP wont need surgery, so he should be back sooner then they thought, great news.

So he can dismantle Kampmann or Swick before the end of the year? :lol:

dw13
07-22-2009, 10:20 AM
http://mmajunkie.com/news/15590/affliction-trilogy-fedor-emelianenko-vs-josh-barnett-headliner-could-be-scrapped.mma

Barnett fails drug test and is unlikely to get licensed for the fight. Thanks Baby Face IDIOT.

PS: If Vitor takes it, it might be a fun fight.

two24four
07-22-2009, 10:38 AM
GSP was on "Off The Record" last night, he was asked if he wants to ever have a super fight with Anderson Silva, he said sure one day, just not anytime soon, he said the time is not right for him yet, & that if & when they do fight he would want a few extra months to get ready for this fight, he was also asked what weight he would fight at if this ever happens, he said for him minimum 200lbs.

dw13
07-22-2009, 10:42 AM
Yeah, GSP isn't by any means a big WW. Going all the way to 185 would be pretty much what he walks in. He would need atleast 8-12 months to prepare for Silva, and put on the weight to take him to about 200 pounds pre-cut.

mrtybrodur30
07-22-2009, 11:23 AM
Barnett really is an idiot. Wow, Affliction is done now i dont see how they can take this huge blow.

dw13
07-22-2009, 12:20 PM
Barnett really is an idiot. Wow, Affliction is done now i dont see how they can take this huge blow.

Might be a big blow, but Vitor moving up is no slouch. Fedor was going to win either way, but Vitor keeps it standing he could have a punchers shot.

mrtybrodur30
07-22-2009, 05:52 PM
Might be a big blow, but Vitor moving up is no slouch. Fedor was going to win either way, but Vitor keeps it standing he could have a punchers shot.Except Vitor's fight that was already set up would then be thrown out either way i dont think Vitor would be a good replacement anyway. Oh well i guess we'll find out later today or tomorrow or sometime soon you would think. What a waste that was looking like it was going to be a decent show.

dw13
07-22-2009, 05:58 PM
Except Vitor's fight that was already set up would then be thrown out either way i dont think Vitor would be a good replacement anyway. Oh well i guess we'll find out later today or tomorrow or sometime soon you would think. What a waste that was looking like it was going to be a decent show.

Jorge Santiago really wasn't going to beat Vitor, so throwing that fight out is fine by me. If Vitor keeps it standing he could possibly beat Fedor. Barnett wouldn't of been a good fight either. Fedor would of classed him on the ground if Barnett tried to wrestle, and obviously Fedors standup is far better.

Barnett should of lost to Fedor's bro in PRIDE, had he not gassed like normal. I think Vitor has a much more legit shot at beating Fedor, although I think Vitor will get subbed.

I want Vitor back in the UFC as well, and it looks like its very possible in the future.

dw13
07-24-2009, 01:41 PM
http://mmajunkie.com/news/15621/aug-1-affliction-trilogy-event-canceled.mma

Affliction Trilogy, officially canceled.

Take it out of your sig Zang!! See ya Affliction!

Zangetsu
07-26-2009, 06:25 PM
Since I hadn't watched the Dream 10 card until today, I'd been avoiding this thread and all the MMA sites that I visit, so I only just read about the Barnett debacle.

I have to say, this may be a good thing for MMA. While this prevents us from watching Fedor fight for a while, it also may bring an end to an organization that (let's be honest) was doomed to fail from the beginning. You can't build an entire organization around one star.

dw13
07-26-2009, 06:31 PM
How did you like Dream10, Zang? I thought it was pretty solid, I got to watch it live.

Zangetsu
07-26-2009, 06:36 PM
The card itself was solid, but I never would've expected everything to pan out the way that it did. Between Mach getting ousted in the first fight to Aoki winning his fight with his stand up, Dream 10 was definitely full of surprises.

Zangetsu
07-26-2009, 08:21 PM
BTW, I forgot to mention that I was impressed but not blown away by the Saffeindine kid. I'd read a little about him in an article on Sherdog not too long ago, but I'd never seen any of his fights. I had really high expectations going into the fight, but his inability to finish a journeyman fighter like Ikemoto was a bit disappointing.

Still, for a guy his age and with his experience, he did pretty well. He seemed to already have a pretty decent all-around game and could really be dangerous if he continues to work on his standup. Considering that he's training with the guys at Team Quest, he should have a bright future in the sport.

mrtybrodur30
07-29-2009, 10:36 PM
Sounds like the UFC have offered Fedor a 5 or 6 fight deal worth atleast 25 million, with M-1 Global getting a portion of the ppv's but nothing about co-promoting. I just wish they could get him signed and soon! but i doubt it will happen if M-1 Global will not be co-promoting... sigh.

Zangetsu
07-29-2009, 11:13 PM
This might be the last chance for Fedor and the UFC to reach a deal. I've got my fingers crossed, but I'm also not incredibly optimistic.

TBH, I wonder what is keeping Fedor from parting ways with his management team. He really seems like he wants to fight the best fighters in the world, and money doesn't seem to be the issue. I'm usually not one for conspiracy theories, but has there ever been speculation of Fedor being mixed up with Russian organized crime?

mrtybrodur30
07-30-2009, 02:54 AM
This might be the last chance for Fedor and the UFC to reach a deal. I've got my fingers crossed, but I'm also not incredibly optimistic.

TBH, I wonder what is keeping Fedor from parting ways with his management team. He really seems like he wants to fight the best fighters in the world, and money doesn't seem to be the issue. I'm usually not one for conspiracy theories, but has there ever been speculation of Fedor being mixed up with Russian organized crime?Well he does own part of M-1 Global also. If he ever does fight in the UFC hes going to have like 50 logo's on his shirt lol but yeah i just really want to see him in the UFC mainly cause there is actually a few guys that will be decent fights.

Hockeyis#1
07-30-2009, 05:59 AM
Well he does own part of M-1 Global also. If he ever does fight in the UFC hes going to have like 50 logo's on his shirt lol but yeah i just really want to see him in the UFC mainly cause there is actually a few guys that will be decent fights.
I really don't think so. Fedor should clearly destroy everyone in the UFC's heavyweight division currently. No one can stand with him, and his ground game and clinch are solid enough where he won't get into trouble on the ground.

Zangetsu
07-30-2009, 11:30 AM
The only thing that worries me about Fedor is that he just hasn't been fighting enough. Since 2006 he's fought a total of four times. Two of the four were essentially exhibitions (Lindland was a MW and Choi isn't a real fighter). Also, remember that Arlovski was looking good against him until he decided that a flying knee was a sound tactical maneuver.

Look, I'm as big a Fedor fan as anybody, and there's no denying that he's shown a very solid all around game in the past, but I think his aura of invicibility may be a little overblown. Lots of guys who were dominant in Pride (Shogun, CroCop, Wanderlei, NOG) have had limited success in the UFC.

mrtybrodur30
07-30-2009, 02:01 PM
I really don't think so. Fedor should clearly destroy everyone in the UFC's heavyweight division currently. No one can stand with him, and his ground game and clinch are solid enough where he won't get into trouble on the ground.I said decent fights. You dont think Lesnar, Couture, CroCop, Carwin, Congo etc would be decent fights? I never said i think anyone is better than him but where else now has a couple of solid HW for Fedor to fight one after another. I would love to see Fedor drop Brett Rogers but other than that theres not much out there at the moment.

mrtybrodur30
07-30-2009, 02:04 PM
If you look at the Arlovski fight though its not like Arlovski was doing any damage at all, Fedor waited for a mistake and Arlovski ended up making a big one. Arlovski was moving the best i have ever seen him move but he wasnt really landing anything.

Zangetsu
07-30-2009, 04:23 PM
Rogers and Overeem are basically the only non-UFC guys that Fedor would have left to fight, and I don't think either of them would be much of a challenge.

And yes, Arlovski wasn't doing much damage, but if he would've continued to pressure Fedor for a couple of rounds, he may have been able to wear him down. Granted, that's purely hypothetical, and it assumes that Arlovski makes zero mistakes, which, given recent results, is unlikely.

All I'm saying is that Fedor is human (as far as we know). He may be the most well rounded and complete fighter on the planet, but I doubt he retires without losing another fight (although avoiding the UFC would make it much easier to retire with just the single loss). Age eventually catches up to everybody.

two24four
07-31-2009, 04:48 PM
Tito is back :rolleyes:

dw13
07-31-2009, 06:12 PM
Tito is back :rolleyes:

Yeah, Dana had made a twitter statement like a week ago, figured it was a matter of time.

More excited the Vitor signed and is fighting Franklin, that will be a fun fight.

two24four
08-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Fedor signed with Strikeforce.

dw13
08-03-2009, 01:06 PM
Overeem, Werdum and Rogers are all enough to keep Fedor busy. If he wasn't going to the UFC, I was wanting him there obviously.

mrtybrodur30
08-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Sweet looks lke i might be able to catch Fedor at the Shark tank sometime soon!

Zangetsu
08-03-2009, 03:00 PM
I suppose we shouldn't be surprised at Dana's stubbornness. Still, it would've been nice to see Fedor fight the huge HW's that the UFC is currently grooming.

Any idea when Fedor will make his Strikeforce debut? I'm assuming there won't be enough time to work something out for the August 15th card.

dw13
08-03-2009, 03:05 PM
I heard he will fight sometime this Fall.

Zangetsu
08-03-2009, 04:03 PM
Strikeforce and CBS have a deal still, right? It would be great if Fedor could make his debut on network TV.

dw13
08-03-2009, 04:43 PM
Strikeforce and CBS have a deal still, right? It would be great if Fedor could make his debut on network TV.

Yeah, CBS still has the option to pick up any event of Strikeforce's that they please. I wouldn't be surprised to see Fedor on National TV.

CayugaPosse
08-03-2009, 04:52 PM
I suppose we shouldn't be surprised at Dana's stubbornness. Still, it would've been nice to see Fedor fight the huge HW's that the UFC is currently grooming.

Any idea when Fedor will make his Strikeforce debut? I'm assuming there won't be enough time to work something out for the August 15th card.

Why are we not surprised about Dana's stubbornness?

He bent over backwards for Fedor, the contract he offered him was beyond anything they've offered another fighter.

He was offered $5,000,000 per fight for a 5 fight contract, plus he was offered a percent of PPV revenue overtop of that.

He was offered an immediate fight against Brock Lesnar.

He was given complete freedom to do Sambo promotions whenever he wants.

He was given the ability to promote M-1 as much as he wants with gear or any other way during his time in the UFC.

Obviously we know he wasn't given cross-promotion, but fuck that. I've said it to alot of my friends already, so I'll say it again. He's ducking the UFC to keep his reputation as the best pound for pound fighter alive.

Overeem, Werdum and Rogers are all secondary fighters in the heavyweight weight class of MMA. I don't think I'm breaking any ground by saying they're not as good as Randy Couture, Antonio Nogueira, Cain Velazquez, Shane Carwin, Frank Mir and Brock Lesnar.

Fedor not coming to the UFC drops him out of the running for best pound for pound fighter for the rest of his career in my eyes. If that fucker ever wanted to be considered, he should come and actually try and fight the best. He ducked the best again to take more secondary fights that people will build up as big fights for him and continue to consider him the best pound for pound fighter, he can go undefeated for the rest of his career and retire "the best ever" or whatever the hell people wanna say. Good for him.

He ducked the real fighters once again. So let's get real about him being in the P4P conversation.

GSP, Anderson Silva, Lyoto Machida, Brock Lesnar...they're in the "big leagues", fighting the best, and running through them.

Does anyone consider Alexei Morozov the best hockey player in the world? He sure is the best hockey player in the KHL...he scores a huge number of points over there. So I can only assume he's better than Ovechkin, Crosby and Malkin.

dw13
08-03-2009, 04:59 PM
While I can agree with alot of your post Cayuga, I don't really like the P4P talks, its way too arbitrary and opinionated. Fedor is one of the best fighters in the world, he is in the same breath as fighters like GSP, Silva, BJ Penn, Machida and Torres, no questions asked.

I won't accuse him of ducking the UFC but they could of hammered something out. Between Fedor's Manager and Dana it just wasn't going to get done, just too much BS involved.

I still look forward to seeing him fight in Strikeforce, although I don't expect too much of a challenge. Maybe if Overeem can KO him within the first 4 minutes before he completely gasses out like normal.

PS: Brock Lesnar is not in the best fighters in the world talks, not yet atleast.

Zangetsu
08-03-2009, 05:16 PM
If Dana really wanted Fedor, he would've worked out something that allowed Fedor and M-1 Global to copromote. That's the bottom line. I don't know what he's so afraid of. M-1 is hardly even worth mentioning in the discussion of MMA organizations. Letting them co-promote could build a new market for the UFC in Russia, and depending on the terms of the agreement, it probably wouldn't affect the UFC's bottom line.

Just like before when Dana wouldn't let Fedor sign with the UFC and compete in international Sambo competitions, Dana has to win. He's a bully in every aspect. He can't stand being told what to do. Fedor has to take some of the blame, but I still say that the main reason that Fedor isn't in the UFC is Dana White.

mrtybrodur30
08-03-2009, 05:22 PM
Fedor isnt ducking the UFC, it doesnt matter about the money per fight they even said that before UFC offered what they did. Hes still the best fighter out there and i agree with DW Lesnar is not at the top of the best fighters yet we'll see in another 2-3 fights. Fedor may not be in the best promotion right now but how long was he in Pride when it was dominant and he ran through everyone. Eventually i do hope he will fight in the UFC but for right now Strikeforce is fine with me.

mrtybrodur30
08-03-2009, 05:26 PM
If Dana really wanted Fedor, he would've worked out something that allowed Fedor and M-1 Global to copromote. That's the bottom line. I don't know what he's so afraid of. M-1 is hardly even worth mentioning in the discussion of MMA organizations. Letting them co-promote could build a new market for the UFC in Russia, and depending on the terms of the agreement, it probably wouldn't affect the UFC's bottom line.

Just like before when Dana wouldn't let Fedor sign with the UFC and compete in international Sambo competitions, Dana has to win. He's a bully in every aspect. He can't stand being told what to do. Fedor has to take some of the blame, but I still say that the main reason that Fedor isn't in the UFC is Dana White.We all dont know what happened but yeah that would suck if all it came down to was the UFC not making as much as they usually do for a handful of ppv's. i think we can all see why both sides wanted what they wanted though. maybe next time they can finally work something out.

Hockeyis#1
08-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Fedor has already been lined up to fight the best heavyweights in the world, and he's won thus far. He KO'd Arlovski in round 1, and he was set to face Barnett who was the consensus #2 heavyweight in the world. He's already beat Big Nog 2x Not to mention Silvia and Herring. Of his 31 fights, only 9 have made it out of the 1st round. Who's he dodging??
Lesnar? I can't imagine anyone who's familiar with Fedor's fights puts Lesnar as anything but a big underdog.

I don't do this to a lot of people, but if Dana White wouldn't budge on the co-promotion, it was for a good reason. He's a smart guy and if he made a decision like this, it was probably for a good reason. Nobody has to explain to him how big Fedor/Lesnar would be.

I'll also wait for Shogun VS Machida before I include him in the P4P argument.

dw13
08-03-2009, 09:36 PM
Fedor has already been lined up to fight the best heavyweights in the world, and he's won thus far. He KO'd Arlovski in round 1, and he was set to face Barnett who was the consensus #2 heavyweight in the world. He's already beat Big Nog 2x Not to mention Silvia and Herring. Of his 31 fights, only 9 have made it out of the 1st round. Who's he dodging??
Lesnar? I can't imagine anyone who's familiar with Fedor's fights puts Lesnar as anything but a big underdog.

I don't do this to a lot of people, but if Dana White wouldn't budge on the co-promotion, it was for a good reason. He's a smart guy and if he made a decision like this, it was probably for a good reason. Nobody has to explain to him how big Fedor/Lesnar would be.

I'll also wait for Shogun VS Machida before I include him in the P4P argument.

Agreed with all of this post, expect fuck P4P talks.

And for Dana, hes a smart BUSINESS man.

dw13
08-03-2009, 11:28 PM
UFC

Champ B.J. Penn vs. Kenny Florian
Champ Anderson Silva vs. Forrest Griffin
Johny Hendricks vs. Amir Sadollah
Ricardo Almeida vs. Kendall Grove
Josh Neer vs. Kurt Pellgrino

WEC

Champ Miguel Torres vs. Brian Bowles
Joseph Benavidez vs. Dominick Cruz (I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS FIGHT!)
Danny Castillo vs. Ricardo Lamas
Jeff Curran vs. Takeya Mizugaki

nyrblue2
08-04-2009, 07:33 AM
I just watched a re-run of WEC 34 last night. Man, the Faber/Pulver and Torres/Maeda fights were freaking awesome.

Hockeyis#1
08-05-2009, 10:18 AM
UFC

Champ B.J. Penn vs. Kenny Florian
Anderson Silva vs. Forrest Griffin
Johny Hendricks vs. Amir Sadollah
Ricardo Almeida vs. Kendall Grove
Josh Neer vs. Kurt Pellgrino

My picks

dw13
08-05-2009, 11:07 AM
My picks

I hope Kenny wins, but I can't see it.

Zangetsu
08-05-2009, 01:19 PM
Yeah, Kenny is great, but the only way he wins this fight is if he cuts BJ, and the docs stop the fight. BJ is just better in every aspect of the game.

To round out my picks:
Silva over Griffin
Sadollah over Hendricks
Almeida over Grove
Neer over Pellegrino

Pretty easy show to pick. All the fights seem pretty one-sided. The one I'm a bit lost on is Sadollah/Hendricks. Hendricks has a great wrestling pedigree, but so did CB, and Sadollah beat him twice.

You never know, though. Sometimes the fights that look one-sided on paper can surprise. After seeing GSP lose to Serra, almost nothing will shock me at this point.

Hockeyis#1
08-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Yeah, Kenny is great, but the only way he wins this fight is if he cuts BJ, and the docs stop the fight. BJ is just better in every aspect of the game.

It always depends on which BJ Penn shows up as well.

dw13
08-06-2009, 10:35 AM
It always depends on which BJ Penn shows up as well.

Well, BJ always shows up with all of his skills. He is a better striker (I guess just boxer, Kenny has strong Muy Thai), is better on the ground.

That being said, I get what your saying about which BJ shows up, but thats only a question to his cardio. Kenny will be there for 5 rounds, if he gets him to the 4th and 5th.. he could have a chance to end it there, or win both rounds and make it a close decision.

I'm pulling for Kenny, but just cannot see him beating BJ.

Zangetsu
08-06-2009, 12:13 PM
Yeah, BJ's cardio is really his only weakness. I haven't heard anything out of his training camp, so we'll have to wait and see what kind of shape he's in. That being said, even if BJ comes in out of shape, I still don't see an upset. I like Kenny, and I think he's deserved this title shot for a long time, but a Penn loss would be very surprising.

dw13
08-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Yeah, BJ's cardio is really his only weakness. I haven't heard anything out of his training camp, so we'll have to wait and see what kind of shape he's in. That being said, even if BJ comes in out of shape, I still don't see an upset. I like Kenny, and I think he's deserved this title shot for a long time, but a Penn loss would be very surprising.

Agreed.

dw13
08-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Just watched the Weigh-ins.. BJ looked pretty damn good.. and Silva could easily fight at 205 on a consistent basis, for how huge Forrest is.. Silva didn't look that small!

Zangetsu
08-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Just watched the weigh-ins. BJ looked good, maybe even better than in his last LW fight against Sherk. Anderson looked big. He looked like he belonged in the LHW division. Sadollah came in light at 166.5. I'm not really sure what to make of that. Anyway, should be a good weekend of fighting.

dw13
08-07-2009, 03:55 PM
Just watched the weigh-ins. BJ looked good, maybe even better than in his last LW fight against Sherk. Anderson looked big. He looked like he belonged in the LHW division. Sadollah came in light at 166.5. I'm not really sure what to make of that. Anyway, should be a good weekend of fighting.

Haha man, we both said the same thing :lol:

Yeah Sadollah coming in at 166.5 is interesting, but like you said, should be a nice weekend of fighting.

Zangetsu
08-07-2009, 04:59 PM
I guess the moral of the story is:

I need to type faster. You beat me by a whole four minutes.

But, yeah, the weigh-ins were mostly uneventful. The only other thing worth mentioning was McCrory having a tough cut. To me he seems like a small welterweight, but I guess I'm comparing him to GSP and Alves.

dw13
08-07-2009, 05:01 PM
I guess the moral of the story is:

I need to type faster. You beat me by a whole four minutes.

But, yeah, the weigh-ins were mostly uneventful. The only other thing worth mentioning was McCrory having a tough cut. To me he seems like a small welterweight, but I guess I'm comparing him to GSP and Alves.

He said a couple weeks ago actually, he wouldn't mind moving up in weight.

Zangetsu
08-07-2009, 05:05 PM
I realize he's tall, but compared to the guys at 185, he's tiny. I know a guy who's trained with him, and he said he's stronger than he looks, so maybe his size is deceiving. Still, it's not like he's overpowering guys at 170. If he wants to compete at 185, he'll really need to bulk up.

dw13
08-07-2009, 05:06 PM
I realize he's tall, but compared to the guys at 185, he's tiny. I know a guy who's trained with him, and he said he's stronger than he looks, so maybe his size is deceiving. Still, it's not like he's overpowering guys at 170. If he wants to compete at 185, he'll really need to bulk up.

I agree, and I actually like him at 170 to be honest. That could be the FOTN on Saturday vs. Howard.

Zangetsu
08-07-2009, 05:23 PM
I don't really know anything about Howard. I missed his first fight in the UFC, but from the looks of his record, he seems like a pretty well rounded guy.

dw13
08-08-2009, 04:54 PM
Ready for tonight!

dw13
08-09-2009, 12:09 AM
Let me just say right now, if theres any question who the best fighter in the world is, it was answered tonight. Silva put on the greatest performance ever in the octagon, hands down. I was absolutely amazed, you could see Silva grow with confidence real early and just tease and knocked down Forrest at will. The final jab to end it was incredible. I'll enter this P4P crap, theres no one close to Silva, sorry GSP.

That being said, props to BJ for coming in shape. He is the best 155'er I've seen, no questions asked. People bash him for having GSP roll over him, just give GSP props, BJ is the real deal at 155. Diego vs. BJ is going to be a war.

I think Kenny relied WAYY too much on BJ gassing and him taking adventage of it. Really no gameplan, but what else could he do? He felt how hard BJ hits early and said nooo thanks, and he couldn't do anything better, BJ was the best anywhere it went.

The stoppage in the Amir fight, was a joke. Props to Hendricks... did what he had to do... but horrible stoppage.

I'm in awe @ Mr. Silva though... amazing.. and BJ too.

Good night!

Andrew1125
08-09-2009, 12:19 AM
The Silva fight was surprising. I'm not really that surprised that Silva dominated Griffin, but it was really strange how it went down. The jab that put down Griffin didn't look very hard, Griffin called off Silva before he delivered the death blow, and he bolted out of the ring like his house was on fire. I'm curious what that was all about. That said, it's laughable how much better Silva looked tonight. When he was dodging shots with his arms down and offering to help Griffin off the ground, just hilarious. It would be unbelieveable if him and GSP could meet at 185 or something.

And yeah, the stoppage in the Amir/Hendricks fight was a poor call. Amir was scrambling to his feet as Hendricks was being pulled off of him. He went down pretty hard off the initial shot though , so I guess I could see why the ref would want to jump in.

dw13
08-09-2009, 12:21 AM
The Silva fight was surprising. I'm not really that surprised that Silva dominated Griffin, but it was really strange how it went down. The jab that put down Griffin didn't look very hard, Griffin called off Silva before he delivered the death blow, and he bolted out of the ring like his house was on fire. I'm curious what that was all about. That said, it's laughable how much better Silva looked tonight. When he was dodging shots with his arms down and offering to help Griffin off the ground, just hilarious. It would be unbelieveable if him and GSP could meet at 185 or something.

And yeah, the stoppage in the Amir/Hendricks fight was a poor call. Amir was scrambling to his feet as Hendricks was being pulled off of him. He went down pretty hard off the initial shot though , so I guess I could see why the ref would want to jump in.

You think that jab was not that hard? His head snapped back, he was walking into it and he hit him right on the button. It was hard, and he had been knocked down 3 times before, he wanted no more.

Zangetsu
08-09-2009, 12:58 AM
Silva is scary.

He has literally turned muay thai into an art form. He's just unbelievable.

Props to Kenny. He didn't back down, but he also was beat from the start. BJ really has the whole package now. With his improved cardio, he may dominate 155 for years. Diego/Penn will be interesting based on Diego's quickness and unpredictability, but he'll have to have the fight of his life to beat BJ.

Agreed on the Sadollah stoppage. That was BS. Nothing against Hendricks, but that's a shitty way to take your first loss.

Nasty kimura by Sotiropoulos. I'll be looking forward to his next fight. He really looked great on the ground and didn't look lost standing up.

Zangetsu
08-09-2009, 01:07 AM
While the punch that ended the fight may not have been a "power" punch (ie. overhand/hook) it was perfectly placed, and it was a counter. It's like a car accident. The force of the collision is the combined force of the two cars, so with Forrest lunging to throw his punch, Silva didn't need to land a full powered punch.

Besides, Forrest's brain had to have been pretty rattled by the time that punch landed. I wouldn't be surprised to see Forrest diagnosed with a concussion.

What really surprised me was Forrest's behavior after the fight. I realize that losing the way he did is embarrassing, but he's always been a stand up, classy guy. To not stay in the ring to see your opponent have his hand raised is a bit disrespectful. IDK, it just seemed strange to me. I'll have to watch the post-fight interviews to see if Forrest explains his actions.

CayugaPosse
08-09-2009, 02:02 AM
I have no words...

I've never, ever, ever seen anything like that before. Anderson Silva is a bad, bad man.

ih8music
08-09-2009, 03:42 AM
Just saw the fight - wow. And Forrest is supposed to have one of the better chins out there.

ih8music
08-09-2009, 03:45 AM
What really surprised me was Forrest's behavior after the fight. I realize that losing the way he did is embarrassing, but he's always been a stand up, classy guy. To not stay in the ring to see your opponent have his hand raised is a bit disrespectful. IDK, it just seemed strange to me. I'll have to watch the post-fight interviews to see if Forrest explains his actions.

It looked to me like he got a good view of Silva's celebration as he was getting up... so he was probably both embarassed and annoyed.

nyrblue2
08-09-2009, 10:32 AM
I love watching the wikipedia pages unfold after events like that. Screenshots for Griffin's page right after the fight:

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/8500/griffin.jpg (http://img35.imageshack.us/i/griffin.jpg/)

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/6948/ownagem.jpg (http://img35.imageshack.us/i/ownagem.jpg/)

What an insane punch by Silva. Great job forcing their submissions on their opponents by Penn and Sotiropolous.

CayugaPosse
08-09-2009, 11:14 AM
It looked to me like he got a good view of Silva's celebration as he was getting up... so he was probably both embarassed and annoyed.

He left the cage with a dislocated jaw and he couldn't hear out of one ear.

Zangetsu
08-09-2009, 11:52 AM
Broken jaw link:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/boxingandmma/5998996/Forrest-Griffin-camp-reveal-dislocated-jaw-as-Anderson-Silva-contemplates-Lyoto-Machida.html

That explains things. I hope he heals okay. A broken jaw could be a serious injury for a fighter.

b_illin
08-09-2009, 12:12 PM
Let me just say right now, if theres any question who the best fighter in the world is, it was answered tonight. Silva put on the greatest performance ever in the octagon, hands down. I was absolutely amazed, you could see Silva grow with confidence real early and just tease and knocked down Forrest at will. The final jab to end it was incredible. I'll enter this P4P crap, theres no one close to Silva, sorry GSP.

That being said, props to BJ for coming in shape. He is the best 155'er I've seen, no questions asked. People bash him for having GSP roll over him, just give GSP props, BJ is the real deal at 155. Diego vs. BJ is going to be a war.

I think Kenny relied WAYY too much on BJ gassing and him taking adventage of it. Really no gameplan, but what else could he do? He felt how hard BJ hits early and said nooo thanks, and he couldn't do anything better, BJ was the best anywhere it went.

The stoppage in the Amir fight, was a joke. Props to Hendricks... did what he had to do... but horrible stoppage.

I'm in awe @ Mr. Silva though... amazing.. and BJ too.

Good night!

What are you smoking man?? Best performance in the octagon ever??? I don't even watch that much UFC and I disagree. It was a shitty fight I thought til the last minute. Silva definitely looked amazing (loved the cocky super open stance), but calling that a great fight, at least in terms of entertainment value, I strongly disagree.

mrtybrodur30
08-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Dawinna is just saying to win like that in the way he did against a former UFC champ is pretty impressive and I agree. But while its a big win its not in the same arena as a win over another LHW contender would be, simply because Forrest kept coming in even though he was landing nothing, Rampage, Rashad etc would be much tougher fights for him and much more of a challenge. Hopefully we will get to see them since its sounding like he wants to stay at 205.

dw13
08-09-2009, 01:43 PM
What are you smoking man?? Best performance in the octagon ever??? I don't even watch that much UFC and I disagree. It was a shitty fight I thought til the last minute. Silva definitely looked amazing (loved the cocky super open stance), but calling that a great fight, at least in terms of entertainment value, I strongly disagree.

Hey, sorry Billy I wasn't after your entertainment. What Silva did in the fight against Forrest was simply the greatest performance I've seen. I do agree with mrty though in his post... that being said, best performance I've seen.

PS: Hope Forrest heals up quickly and is ok

mrtybrodur30
08-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Hey, sorry Billy I wasn't after your entertainment. What Silva did in the fight against Forrest was simply the greatest performance I've seen. I do agree with mrty though in his post... that being said, best performance I've seen.

PS: Hope Forrest heals up quickly and is okIt really was shocking, most people should of thought Silva was going to win probably even dominate Forrest but what he did was more than that, it was crazy, so who does he fight next now, wont be Machida, wont be Rampage or Rashad since they are fighting each other. I was telling my brother after the fight Rich Franklin was probably like F*** me!! lol

Zangetsu
08-09-2009, 02:25 PM
As much as it sounds like a huge step down from his recent competition, Okami could challenge Silva in a way that nobody else has in a while. After seeing this most recent striking display, it might be interesting to see more of Anderson's ground game.

I'm not saying that Okami would be a sure bet to get Anderson to the ground, but out of his potential opponents (excluding 205ers who already have fights lined up), Okami may be the best match. It would also give Silva a chance to avenge a loss.

dw13
08-09-2009, 03:21 PM
As much as it sounds like a huge step down from his recent competition, Okami could challenge Silva in a way that nobody else has in a while. After seeing this most recent striking display, it might be interesting to see more of Anderson's ground game.

I'm not saying that Okami would be a sure bet to get Anderson to the ground, but out of his potential opponents (excluding 205ers who already have fights lined up), Okami may be the best match. It would also give Silva a chance to avenge a loss.

I completely agree with that post man.

Chilly_Willy
08-09-2009, 03:55 PM
I loved that silva fight. I really like griffin so it was painful to see him get dominated.

Silva is such an amazing fighter, his timing, speed, and accuracy are almost suppernatural. Silva is really a respectful guy in the ring I think the cocky antics were becasue his last few fights that went deep rounds he got booed relentlessly by the crowd because his fights are a little slow and defensive at times. I think he came out like a tornado in this one to tell the crowd I can be an ownage type fighter if I want.

Jake
08-09-2009, 09:47 PM
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/news-report-forrests-jaw-fine-not-reason-he-ran-1030098/

The broken/dislocated jaw rumors may be false.

Zangetsu
08-09-2009, 10:16 PM
I guess Forrest really just didn't want to get emotional in the ring. He's different, that's for sure.

In other news, Anderson may relinquish the MW belt and move to LHW full-time, but don't get too excited about a Dragon vs. Spider matchup.

“Lyoto is my friend, he is my brother and there is no way that fight will ever happen,” Silva said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AiEqOntFto8vOgNflq5Iink9Eo14?slug=dw-silva080909&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

mrtybrodur30
08-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Wow Torres was looking good but Bowles has some power in his hands thats for sure, hopefully they have a rematch and soon!

mrtybrodur30
08-09-2009, 10:29 PM
I guess Forrest really just didn't want to get emotional in the ring. He's different, that's for sure.

In other news, Anderson may relinquish the MW belt and move to LHW full-time, but don't get too excited about a Dragon vs. Spider matchup.

“Lyoto is my friend, he is my brother and there is no way that fight will ever happen,” Silva said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AiEqOntFto8vOgNflq5Iink9Eo14?slug=dw-silva080909&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Zuffa was already saying before this they can careless about friendships and whatnot between all the fighters in the UFC they dont care. If they let him give up the 185lb belt he will have to face Machida if thats what the UFC wants the fight to be. AMAZING fight if it ever happens.

dw13
08-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Zuffa was already saying before this they can careless about friendships and whatnot between all the fighters in the UFC they dont care. If they let him give up the 185lb belt he will have to face Machida if thats what the UFC wants the fight to be. AMAZING fight if it ever happens.

Zuffa can say all they want. There is a reason Koscheck vs. Fitch hasn't happend. Or any mixture of Koscheck/Fitch/Swick. Or Rashad/Jardine. The fights have to approve the fights, as simple as that.

Pretty good WEC card last night, props to Cruz (who I think is damn good) and Bowles for beating my boy Torres

Chilly_Willy
08-10-2009, 12:10 PM
The WEC was awesome last night, I loved the back to back bantam weight card. Both those fights were great. Bowles was very deserving of the belt he caught Miguel twice with good shots and on the second exchange was able finish when miguel has an awesome spralling scramble defense on his back.

Kinda interesting Bowles and Brown have a lot of similar characteristics not only in look but fighting style and attitude.

CayugaPosse
08-10-2009, 12:30 PM
Zuffa can say all they want. There is a reason Koscheck vs. Fitch hasn't happend. Or any mixture of Koscheck/Fitch/Swick. Or Rashad/Jardine. The fights have to approve the fights, as simple as that.

Pretty good WEC card last night, props to Cruz (who I think is damn good) and Bowles for beating my boy Torres

The reason all those fights haven't happened is because they wouldn't headline a PPV and making UFC infinity 22 dollars.

Machida vs Silva will sell tickets. That's the difference.

Dana wouldn't care enough to make Koscheck fight Swick, because it's not going to make him millions, and so he'll let them slide.

Little different with Silva/Machida...so it's an unfair comparison.

Hockeyis#1
08-10-2009, 01:09 PM

Forrest has left the ring before on losses. He was also probably a little embarrassed.

Why would Silva have to let the MW belt go? Penn was LW champ and went for the WW belt. I'm sure the idea of being the first person in UFC history to hold two titles simultaneously would appeal to Silva. He wants to fight the best, wouldn't that practically ensure he has nothing but top competition?

dw13
08-10-2009, 01:19 PM
The reason all those fights haven't happened is because they wouldn't headline a PPV and making UFC infinity 22 dollars.

Machida vs Silva will sell tickets. That's the difference.

Dana wouldn't care enough to make Koscheck fight Swick, because it's not going to make him millions, and so he'll let them slide.

Little different with Silva/Machida...so it's an unfair comparison.

While I agree, it isn't a unfair comparison by any means. If Silva or Machida don't want to fight each other, it simply won't happen. Koscheck vs. Swick or Fitch would be a pretty big fight as well. Not saying as big, but big.

Point being, if Machida or Silva don't want to fight each other... they won't. Also with Page and Shad around in the division, it gives two other quality 205'ers to give to Silva.

It'll be fun to find out where Silva goes next (or probably after Hendo).

szuturon
08-10-2009, 01:29 PM
I wonder if they're really so friendly they won't fight eachother... maybe one is afraid of the other and the other knows and is playing along. If I had to guess... Silva is afraid of Machida.

dw13
08-10-2009, 01:32 PM
I wonder if they're really so friendly they won't fight eachother... maybe one is afraid of the other and the other knows and is playing along. If I had to guess... Silva is afraid of Machida.

I don't think any fighter is scared of another.. especially two at the top of each game. They are friends and some honor that more than others. (AKA and Jackson's camp both are my references)

Zangetsu
08-10-2009, 01:33 PM
Back in the Pride days, there were all kinds of fights that simply didn't happen because guys didn't want to fight friends/teammates. It's not like these guys are gladiators. Nobody is holding a gun to their head.

Dana will definitely lobby for a Machida/Silva fight, but he can't force them to do anything. If two guys sincerely don't want to fight each other, they probably wouldn't have a great fight anyway. I suppose Dana could strip their belts, but then he risks losing them to Dream/Strikeforce.