PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Blackhawks

Pages : [1] 2

arexjay
10-23-2008, 12:53 AM
What's the deal with their goaltending situation? I drafted Huet thinking he'd get most of the starts, but it looks like Khabi is getting his fair share (as of right now, has 4 to Huet's 3), and is putting up better stats as well. Are they just showing him off to shop around?

aw3s0me
10-23-2008, 07:33 AM
What's the deal with their goaltending situation? I drafted Huet thinking he'd get most of the starts, but it looks like Khabi is getting his fair share (as of right now, has 4 to Huet's 3), and is putting up better stats as well. Are they just showing him off to shop around?

that would be my guess. they didn't just sign huet in the offseason to have him sit on the bench.. hes had a few games but i doubt they will giveup on him anytime soon.

LFk
10-23-2008, 08:50 AM
I don't expect the pattern will hold...

but on top of needing to shop Khabi by putting him on display, he's simply been playing better.

chgorman
10-23-2008, 09:00 AM
I don't expect the pattern will hold...

but on top of needing to shop Khabi by putting him on display, he's simply been playing better.

Agreed. compare their stat lines, record, etc. Going by pretty well every measurable indicator, Khabi deserves to be starting.

However I do expect him to be traded within the next month as teams take stock of where their goaltending situation is at. I've seen COL mentioned a couple places as the prime location for him, especially if Budaj struggles for an extended period.

LFk
10-23-2008, 09:25 AM
Agreed. compare their stat lines, record, etc. Going by pretty well every measurable indicator, Khabi deserves to be starting.

However I do expect him to be traded within the next month as teams take stock of where their goaltending situation is at. I've seen COL mentioned a couple places as the prime location for him, especially if Budaj struggles for an extended period.

but... but they have Raycroft!
Calder trophy!

A note about COL as a Khabi destination is that it would give them very little breathing room. They've got about 5.5 in cap space, so at this point in the season they will have to send some salary back if they want to keep it under.

I believe if they wait a little longer, though, the cap hit will be smaller.

I feel it would be in many teams' best interests to try to stave off acquisition of these rental players as close to the trade deadline as possible. Of course if Budaj stinks it up some more, there may be no time to lose...

chgorman
10-23-2008, 09:28 AM
but... but they have Raycroft!
Calder trophy!

Oh SNAP! Of course! How could I forget about him?!?!?!?!

:rolleyes:;)

Even more reason to get Khabi ASAP.

Blade152
10-24-2008, 04:34 PM
stop playing khabi...

why put a guy on waivers, clear him, and play him after signing a guy like huet..plus its royally fucking me on my starts

keyboard
10-24-2008, 04:51 PM
stop playing khabi...

why put a guy on waivers, clear him, and play him after signing a guy like huet..plus its royally fucking me on my startsCall it a hunch but I don't think that plays into their decision-making. :lol:

gagne21
11-14-2008, 08:40 PM
here's a stream for tonight's game if anyone's interested.

http://atdhe.net/live-tv-445.html

Blade152
11-18-2008, 10:31 PM
so apparently sundin is in talks with the hawks...

sketchyt
11-19-2008, 01:20 AM
Who the hell is Kris Versteeg? Freeloader or guy with legit skill?

Kaboominator
11-19-2008, 10:26 AM
The guy seems to be for real. I was at the game last night and he amazed me. He is the one that got away from the Bruins. Chiarelli gave him up for Bochenski....that one of his forgettable deals...he looked awesome.

chgorman
11-19-2008, 11:06 AM
The guy seems to be for real. I was at the game last night and he amazed me. He is the one that got away from the Bruins. Chiarelli gave him up for Bochenski....that one of his forgettable deals...he looked awesome.

You guys managed to snag Wheeler though, which ain't too shabby ;).

Haven't seen any Hawks games yet this year, so can't really comment on Versteeg, but he does seems to be putting up some decent numbers. Fairly consistently to boot, it seems.

Hamsterkill
11-19-2008, 11:59 AM
Who the hell is Kris Versteeg? Freeloader or guy with legit skill?

From the game I saw him play, he looked really good out there. Always involved in the play when on the ice, which is a good thing to be.

eykwingnut
11-19-2008, 03:03 PM
ive seen versteeg quite a bit this year since i get the comcast sportnet channel out of chicago. hes a pretty good player.

Hamsterkill
07-14-2009, 03:30 AM
So, even with the RFA snafu... I'm kinda surprised with the firing of Tallon who in all likelihood probably wasn't directly responsible for the mess... well, apart from the Campbell signing.

Still, he's made some decent moves as well...

Spartan
07-14-2009, 07:14 AM
I can't name a smart move that Tallon made, got nice players sure but under bad circumstances. Getting Hossa without having long term deals for his core talent was questionable. Especially considering that the cap will likely go down next season. Campbell and Huet were vastly overpaid and are crippling contracts to deal with. Versteeg and Barker were just grossly overpaid for their experience. Especially Barker who was still be scratched last year.

The move matters very little now though. Jesus Christ would not be able to retain Keith, Kane and Toews with their cap position next year.

Kyle
07-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Agree 100%. Hossa til 42 at the cost of guarenteeting Toews/Kane???

The Hawks will be struggling for a playoff spot in 2-3 years. This year is all or nothing.

chgorman
07-14-2009, 11:05 AM
Was Tallon the one who signed Khabi to that insane contract 3-4 yrs ago? That was a pretty terrible signing too.

Tallon made some decent moves (although I can't really think of an off the top of my head right now), but has also made very questionable ones too. Byfug - $3mil per? Campbell has already been mentioned. I mentioned Khabi. Huet at 5+ when they already had Khabi at 7+ for another full yr and Crawford AND Niemi showing promise? Sopel - $2.5 mil to be injured/benched/healthy scratched for the majority of his time in CHI so far? The Hossa signing is def questionable given their cap sitch for next yr. Even the Havlat signing was questionable when it happened IMO, for a guy that was that injury prone.

Despite the team's recent success, I really don't think he's managed them - and particularily their cap situation - very well. If they had a ton of cap space heading into next year and only one or two mid to lower tier players to resign, the Hossa deal could be considered a solid signing based on how they're getting a lowered cap hit for an extended period, but even with the lowered cap hit, the deal still cripples them cap-wise heading into the season after next. Unless Kane, Toews and Keith are willing to take SIGNIFICANT hometown discounts, I don't see how CHI will be able to retain all three, and even with discounts, it's gonna be tough. According to nhlnumbers.com, they're already at $42 mil for the '10/'11 season, and that's not including Kane, Toews or Keith, and only includes 8 fwds, 4 D and 2 G. So they would basically have to sign at least 4 fwds (including Kane and Toews) and likely 3 D (including Keith) with the left over cap space. Assuming the cap goes down to around $50 mil (not sure if this is accurate or not, just guessing), they'll have less than 8 mill to fill out the roster.... quite the predicament they're in.

I feel bad for Stan Bowman... Tallon made this mess and now Bowman has to clean it up.

TBH, I can't really think of any really good moves Tallon made, off the top of my head. I mean, yeah, he picked some solid talent in the draft, but that's easy to do when you're handed primo picks every year 'cause yuor team sucks so much. Anybody woulda grabbed Kane, Toews, etc in the same position. I guess getting Versteeg was a pretty solid move for him, but other than that, I can't really think of any other really good - or even decent - moves he made off the top of my head. The Havlat signing turned out alright I guess, but it was still a risky move at the time, and Havlat did miss significant portions of his 1st 2 seasons in CHI.

Spartan
07-14-2009, 11:21 AM
Agree 100%. Hossa til 42 at the cost of guarenteeting Toews/Kane???

The Hawks will be struggling for a playoff spot in 2-3 years. This year is all or nothing.With Huet in net, I will bet on nothing.

Kyle
07-14-2009, 11:23 AM
The good news is they have more top 3 picks comming up in their near future so they can try again after their current roster completely collapses.:rolleyes:

Spartan
07-14-2009, 11:26 AM
I'm just not too keen on a division rival being run by the Bowman's now. At least their ownership still sucks.

Doctego
07-15-2009, 07:19 AM
Was Tallon the one who signed Khabi to that insane contract 3-4 yrs ago? That was a pretty terrible signing too.

When you are as bad as they were for so long, sometimes you have to overpay to draw players.

Kyle
07-15-2009, 01:27 PM
When you are as bad as they were for so long, sometimes you have to overpay to draw players.

I would say that by anybody's standards and through all points of view, the miserable situation they're looking at next year says it just wasn't a great decision.

dw13
07-15-2009, 01:30 PM
I would say that by anybody's standards and through all points of view, the miserable situation they're looking at next year says it just wasn't a great decision.

If they win a cup this coming year, it all won't matter truthfully. They can gut that team clean and go back to stage one... but if they have a cup to talk about, it's worth it.

Doctego
07-15-2009, 02:08 PM

Hindsight is 20/20. I was referring to the Khabibulin signing. They were bad for some time and had to overpay.

chgorman
07-15-2009, 03:01 PM
Hindsight is 20/20. I was referring to the Khabibulin signing. They were bad for some time and had to overpay.

Even at the time of the signing way back when, ppl were saying it was a bad move and a significant overpayment by CHI though, has nothing to do with hindsight. If they HAD to overpay the guy to get him to sign, then just don't sign him, and use those resources elsewhere. When they signed Khabi, they needed help EVERYWHERE. It's not like Khabi was the last piece of the puzzle so it was worth overpayng for him... CHI was crap then, and Khabi didn't really change that. IMO, they woulda been better off spending Kahbi's ridiculous salary on a mediocre/mid-tier, cheap goalie and some better talent up front or on D over significantly overpaying a consistently overrated goalie who only looked like a good option because he had just won a cup. Like I said, if it was reasonable to expect CHI to be contending for the Cup in the near future at that point, and they felt Khabi was the missing piece and wanted to bring in a guy with recent cup experience, fair enough, but at the time, CHI was nowhere close to being a Cup contender. The signing didn't make sense then, and it doesn't now. Hindsight is moot.

Doctego
07-15-2009, 03:39 PM
Even at the time of the signing way back when, ppl were saying it was a bad move and a significant overpayment by CHI though, has nothing to do with hindsight. If they HAD to overpay the guy to get him to sign, then just don't sign him, and use those resources elsewhere. When they signed Khabi, they needed help EVERYWHERE. It's not like Khabi was the last piece of the puzzle so it was worth overpayng for him... CHI was crap then, and Khabi didn't really change that. IMO, they woulda been better off spending Kahbi's ridiculous salary on a mediocre/mid-tier, cheap goalie and some better talent up front or on D over significantly overpaying a consistently overrated goalie who only looked like a good option because he had just won a cup. Like I said, if it was reasonable to expect CHI to be contending for the Cup in the near future at that point, and they felt Khabi was the missing piece and wanted to bring in a guy with recent cup experience, fair enough, but at the time, CHI was nowhere close to being a Cup contender. The signing didn't make sense then, and it doesn't now. Hindsight is moot.

We can agree to disagree. I agree that Chicago was crap but nobody of talent wanted to sign there. In those instances, you have to overpay. Now, people are signing there. Overpayments for guys like Khabibulin bring credibility to an organization. You could say that money brings players and it certainly does. That said, they weren't spending money until they got better through signings and draft picks. It's all cyclical. Look at Philly. They overpaid for some players but now, they're good. Their cap number is bad but they're back on the map.

chgorman
07-15-2009, 04:21 PM
We can agree to disagree. I agree that Chicago was crap but nobody of talent wanted to sign there. In those instances, you have to overpay. Now, people are signing there. Overpayments for guys like Khabibulin bring credibility to an organization. You could say that money brings players and it certainly does. That said, they weren't spending money until they got better through signings and draft picks. It's all cyclical. Look at Philly. They overpaid for some players but now, they're good. Their cap number is bad but they're back on the map.

Fair enough. I kinda see what you're saying, but to me, any credibility gained by tossing buckets of $$ at a high profile players is lost when those players are overated to begin with on top of being ridiculously overpaid, thus handcuffing the organization for years financially, like the Khabi signing did. To me, a team loses credibility over stuff like that. But fair enough, agree to disagree.

I just don't see how anybody can justify Khabi being the highest paid goalie in the league for the past 4 yrs, regardless of credibility issues, hindsight, whatever. Obviously when guys like Brodeur are willing to take below mkt value contracts in order to help their team stay under the cap then it skews the results a bit, but my point is still applicable. At no point in the past 15 yrs should Khabi have EVER been the top paid goalie in the league, let alone for the past 4 (although I think there are one or two more now that make more than him, but for at least the first few yrs of that contract, he was the highest paid). That's why I felt it was a terrible deal from the start.

keys2aFranchise
07-15-2009, 06:36 PM
Getting Patrick Sharpe for Matt Ellison and a 3rd rounder was a pretty solid move. Ditto for Versteeg for Bochenski

But the RFA mess up is what cost him. He had a two week window to send out those offers and pushed it to the deadline.

I don't think the Hawks were the only team willing to make Khabby the highest paid goalie in the league. That's what happens when you become a UFA after winning a cup

HABS_FrEaK
07-22-2009, 01:47 AM
Apparently Hossa might be out till December with an injury...

Is it possible Hossa hid this info before signing? I mean you don't really have time for a physical on July 1st.

Chilly_Willy
07-22-2009, 07:43 AM
Apparently Hossa might be out till December with an injury...

Is it possible Hossa hid this info before signing? I mean you don't really have time for a physical on July 1st. :eek:

The guy is a one man army of drama queens.

MrScientist
07-22-2009, 10:37 AM
Source??

chgorman
07-22-2009, 11:34 AM
CHI better hope that this injury helps explain his disappearing act in these past playoffs (patricularily the Finals). Otherwise, they're gonna be sorry once the postseason rolls around and he disappears again.

Spartan
07-22-2009, 04:56 PM
Probably nothing new here according to Holland.

Marian Hossa's injury didn't occur during playoffs; Red Wings re-sign Evan McGrath, Ryan Oulahen

by Ansar Khan Wednesday July 22, 2009, 4:12 PM

Wings general manager Ken Holland said Marian Hossa did not injure his shoulder during the playoffs as indicated in a story in the Chicago Daily Herald (http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=308529). Holland said Hossa had a slightly torn rotator cuff when the Wings signed him on July 2, 2008, but it wasn't anything significant.
"He was hurt before he got to us,'' Holland said. "Our doctors looked at him and we had conversations about whether to have surgery. Our doctors recommended he should have something done at some point but it's something he can play with.''

According to the Daily Herald, Hossa is contemplating surgery, which would idle him for the start of the season.
Hossa signed a 12-year, $62.8 million contract with the Blackhawks on July 1.

CayugaPosse
07-22-2009, 09:28 PM
CHI better hope that this injury helps explain his disappearing act in these past playoffs (patricularily the Finals). Otherwise, they're gonna be sorry once the postseason rolls around and he disappears again.

Can we not do this? Just a year before this he had a brilliant playoff run...we can't call him a choker.

Chilly_Willy
07-22-2009, 09:59 PM
Can we not do this? Just a year before this he had a brilliant playoff run...we can't call him a choker.

When pitts made it to the cup final in 2008 I honestly thought he was their best player. Not sure what happened this time around its not like he was bad, he contributed, but he certainly was not as dominant player he can be. This injury could explain a lot. I tore my rotator cuff before and I couldn't even lift my arm to open a door. With that long term contract IMO the best decision is to get the surgery overwith miss the first month or two and get started again on a good shoulder.

chgorman
07-23-2009, 06:21 AM

Okay boss :rolleyes:

Great, he had a great playoffs in '08... the previous yr he did jack squat too with ATL. It's not like he's had multiple phenominal playoff yrs and this yr was his first let-down... it's happened before.

What do you chalk his disappearing act up to then? It's not like going from Crosby's wing to Datsyuk's wing is a huge step down. And don't blame it on the injury, 'cuz apparently that's 'just an excuse', as I learned (the hard way) in the SCF thread a month or so ago when I suggested that a healthy Wings team might have been a much tougher opponent for PIT than the one they actually faced.

I'm not a Hossa hater. Really, I'm not. I liked the guy before he came to DET (even when he was with PIT :eek:), I def liked him while he was with DET, and will continue to like him even though he's with CHI, but you gotta admit, he was pretty pathetic in this year's playoffs, and it's not the 1st time it's happened. His numbers for these past playoffs aren't terrible per se, until you consider the fact that he got most of those points in 3 gms, and was pretty much silent otherwise, aside from the occasional assist.

I'd say the only redeeming factor is (I believe) he had the same number of pts in the SCF as the almighty Sid, but at least Sid put up a crapload of pts prior to the SCF. Hossa... didn't.

Doctego
07-23-2009, 06:38 AM
If you are going to rip Hossa, you better also do the same for the other players that were somewhat absent from the statsheet during the playoffs. A lot of people deserve blame but it's easy to hammer Hossa on his way out the door.

chgorman
07-23-2009, 07:09 AM
If you are going to rip Hossa, you better also do the same for the other players that were somewhat absent from the statsheet during the playoffs. A lot of people deserve blame but it's easy to hammer Hossa on his way out the door.

We're not talking about other players though, we're talking about Hossa... in the Hawks thread. If you want me to bitch about other players too, if it means that much to you, I'll do it in the Wings thread. Not here.

Doctego
07-23-2009, 08:01 AM
We're not talking about other players though, we're talking about Hossa... in the Hawks thread. If you want me to bitch about other players too, if it means that much to you, I'll do it in the Wings thread. Not here.

You're right. In the Hawks thread. The same thread that you mentioned his postseason failures as a Red Wing. I'm just asking that, if you are going to hammer Hossa for not producing in the playoffs, that you do the same for others, such as Datsyuk. It's only fair. If you do/did that in the Wings/SCF threads, that's fine. I don't necessarily recall it but I could just be pulling a Clemens/Pettitte and be misremembering.

Kyle
07-23-2009, 09:29 AM
You're right. In the Hawks thread. The same thread that you mentioned his postseason failures as a Red Wing. I'm just asking that, if you are going to hammer Hossa for not producing in the playoffs, that you do the same for others, such as Datsyuk. It's only fair. If you do/did that in the Wings/SCF threads, that's fine. I don't necessarily recall it but I could just be pulling a Clemens/Pettitte and be misremembering.

Why? Why is it somehow fair to bring in irrelevant points about Datsyuk and other disappearing acts in this years playoffs in a discussion about Hossa? In no way do I see it as logical, reasonable, or fair for him to have mentined that. It would've been random, but not much else.

This is a Chicago Blackhawks Thread and the discussion was Marian Hossa. There is no sensible reason to randomly mention chokes by irrelevant Wings players who have NOTHING to do with anything being discussed here.

I get your point but I don't think its fair to read into his comments as Hossa costing Wings the cup, which seems to be your assumption since you want him to share the blame a bit.

chgorman
07-23-2009, 12:04 PM
Why? Why is it somehow fair to bring in irrelevant points about Datsyuk and other disappearing acts in this years playoffs in a discussion about Hossa? In no way do I see it as logical, reasonable, or fair for him to have mentined that. It would've been random, but not much else.

This is a Chicago Blackhawks Thread and the discussion was Marian Hossa. There is no sensible reason to randomly mention chokes by irrelevant Wings players who have NOTHING to do with anything being discussed here.

Thank you Kyle. :beer:

Like I said Doc, if it bothers you THAT much, if it means THAT much to you, if my comments are really bothering you to the point that you need to take it this far, then I can take 30 seconds and go rant on Datsyuk, Samuelsson, Holmstrom and Hudler's playoff performances in the Wings thread. Is that really necessary though? What's that gonna accomplish exactly, other than to (hopefully) get you off my back?

Doctego
07-23-2009, 06:55 PM
If YOU want to use CAPS to try to exaggerate a POINT, feel free. You can keep bringing up the fact that this is a Hawks thread and I won't disagree. That said, I will point out that YOU were the one that brought up what he did as a Wing. Not me.

I should know by now that this was asking too much but maybe, just maybe, I was looking for some objectivity. You went out of your way to kick Hossa while he was down by bringing up his performance in this past season's playoffs. I have no issue with that. Feel free. I was just saying that, objectively, you should also bring up the failures of other players who were equally to blame. I haven't really seen that.

Kyle.......If you fail to see the correllation, I really don't know what to say other than that 1 of them is a current Detroit player so I would understand the oversight. 1 player was criticized for disappearing in the playoffs. I brought up another player that also disappeared in the playoffs. Is it really that much of a reach??

Spartan
07-23-2009, 09:44 PM
If you fail to see the correllation, I really don't know what to say other than that 1 of them is a current Detroit player so I would understand the oversight. 1 player was criticized for disappearing in the playoffs. I brought up another player that also disappeared in the playoffs. Is it really that much of a reach??The players you are referring to have ring"s", Hossa does not. Its the burden he has to bear until he shakes the monkey.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
07-23-2009, 09:54 PM
Okay boss :rolleyes:

Great, he had a great playoffs in '08... the previous yr he did jack squat too with ATL. It's not like he's had multiple phenominal playoff yrs and this yr was his first let-down... it's happened before.

What do you chalk his disappearing act up to then? It's not like going from Crosby's wing to Datsyuk's wing is a huge step down. And don't blame it on the injury, 'cuz apparently that's 'just an excuse', as I learned (the hard way) in the SCF thread a month or so ago when I suggested that a healthy Wings team might have been a much tougher opponent for PIT than the one they actually faced.

I'm not a Hossa hater. Really, I'm not. I liked the guy before he came to DET (even when he was with PIT :eek:), I def liked him while he was with DET, and will continue to like him even though he's with CHI, but you gotta admit, he was pretty pathetic in this year's playoffs, and it's not the 1st time it's happened. His numbers for these past playoffs aren't terrible per se, until you consider the fact that he got most of those points in 3 gms, and was pretty much silent otherwise, aside from the occasional assist.

I'd say the only redeeming factor is (I believe) he had the same number of pts in the SCF as the almighty Sid, but at least Sid put up a crapload of pts prior to the SCF. Hossa... didn't.

I agree. Hossa is not spectacular when it comes to post season play. Choker? Ehh. It's at the very least debatable. He is definitely not good under pressure, I'd say. And no, injury should never be an excuse. Let's compare Max Talbot with Marian Hossa. Max fucking TALBOT. Shoulder injury, just had off season surgery... out til December. Sounds familiar. Yet in the biggest game of his life this "nobody" scores 2 goals including the game winner in game 7 of the SCF.

Sometimes heart and determination outwork talent. Hossa has all the talent in the world.... his heart, in my opinion, is still in question.

That being said -- he should fair well in Chicago. He might even put together a decent playoff run along side all of that youthful talent this year which will help take the media pressure/heat offa Marian... that is... until he meets the Red Wings in the WCF and the media is all over his ass about facing his former team :lol:

Kyle
07-23-2009, 10:33 PM
Kyle.......If you fail to see the correllation, I really don't know what to say other than that 1 of them is a current Detroit player so I would understand the oversight. 1 player was criticized for disappearing in the playoffs. I brought up another player that also disappeared in the playoffs. Is it really that much of a reach??

The point is, he wasn't JUST kicking Hossa. Yes, he took his opportunity to do so, but it was relevant to the discussion which was HOSSAS INJURY. What does the blackhawks, Hossa's injury, and that injury's possible impact on his playoff performance has to do with anybody on the Red Wings right now?

Doctego
07-23-2009, 11:29 PM
The players you are referring to have ring"s", Hossa does not. Its the burden he has to bear until he shakes the monkey.

His original reference was to this season's playoffs so that really isn't applicable. I have to take blame here, though. As the name indicates, fan is short for fanatic. As in fanatical. In all walks, I try to look at things in an objective light. Sometimes, as fans, we don't. Either way, get well soon, Hossa. See you in December.

Hockeyis#1
07-23-2009, 11:59 PM
His original reference was to this season's playoffs so that really isn't applicable. I have to take blame here, though. As the name indicates, fan is short for fanatic. As in fanatical. In all walks, I try to look at things in an objective light. Sometimes, as fans, we don't. Either way, get well soon, Hossa. See you in December.

It seems that most highly logical/rational people I know, are oddly illogical sometimes or about specific topics. Shit happens.

When I first read that Hossa had an injury, first thing that came to mind was his underwhelming playoff performance is now explained. I'd hardly point to choker though. You can't be super man every postseason.

chgorman
07-24-2009, 11:15 AM
If YOU want to use CAPS to try to exaggerate a POINT, feel free. You can keep bringing up the fact that this is a Hawks thread and I won't disagree. That said, I will point out that YOU were the one that brought up what he did as a Wing. Not me.

I should know by now that this was asking too much but maybe, just maybe, I was looking for some objectivity. You went out of your way to kick Hossa while he was down by bringing up his performance in this past season's playoffs. I have no issue with that. Feel free. I was just saying that, objectively, you should also bring up the failures of other players who were equally to blame. I haven't really seen that.

OMG, are we STILL talking about this? Could you blow my comments any further out of proportion? I thought Cayuga's reaction of 'can we not do this?' was a little ignorant IMO, but fair, and you seem to feel the same way about my comments, fair enough, but now you're just blowing whole thing way too far out of proportion.

So, in future, when I'm chirping about another player on another team, I have to remember to also point out the similar shortfalls on players from DET? And I have to remember to do this EVERY TIME I talk about other players? So if I'm chirping Pronger for being dirty, I also have to mention a dirty player on the wings, just to be 'objective'? If I decide to chirp Kopecky (now that he's a Hawk and all) for getting his face beat in by Beauch in the playoffs last year, I also have to remember to mention Lilja getting his face beat in prior to the playoffs at some point, even though it has absolutely nothing to do with me chirping Kopecky? Do you know how ridiculous that sounds? Gimme a break!! Like seriously, I can't believe how important this is to you... it's actually kinda nuts.

If it bothers you this much, here ya go, I'll grant your wish...

DET better hope that that injury to Hossa helps explain Datsyuk's/Holmstrom's disappearing acts in these past playoffs (patricularily the Finals). Otherwise, they're gonna be sorry once the postseason rolls around and they disappear again. And VAN better hope that that injury to Hossa helps explain Samuelsson's disappearing act in these past playoffs (patricularily the Finals). Otherwise, they're gonna be sorry once the postseason rolls around and he disappears again. And that KHL team better hope that that injury to Hossa helps explain Hudler's disappearing act in these past playoffs (patricularily the Finals). Otherwise, they're gonna be sorry once the postseason rolls around and he disappears again.

There ya go. Not only did I post it here in the Hawks thread after I said I wouldn't, but I also went the extra mile and was 'objective' about two other guys who aren't even with DET anymore. Happy now? Jesus, I can't believe I've wasted this much time on this BS!!

The players you are referring to have ring"s", Hossa does not. Its the burden he has to bear until he shakes the monkey.

Exactly. It's not just one post-season with Hossa. He's had multiple postseason experiences where he disappeared, and a few others where he did okay, did what was expected, but never excelled and never really stepped up his game and pushed his team into contention for a cup, up until the '08 postseason with PIT. and then he came back to earth again this year and disappeared for large portions of the playoffs. Maybe it was because of the injury, maybe it was because he has a habit of disappearing a lot of the time once the postseason rolls around, but the bottom line is 1 phenominal postseason doesn't make a man, at least not a guy of Hossa's skill level, and he's had more playoff failures than successes IMO. thus my comment regarding him disappearing again.

I agree. Hossa is not spectacular when it comes to post season play. Choker? Ehh. It's at the very least debatable. He is definitely not good under pressure, I'd say. And no, injury should never be an excuse. Let's compare Max Talbot with Marian Hossa. Max fucking TALBOT. Shoulder injury, just had off season surgery... out til December. Sounds familiar. Yet in the biggest game of his life this "nobody" scores 2 goals including the game winner in game 7 of the SCF.

Sometimes heart and determination outwork talent. Hossa has all the talent in the world.... his heart, in my opinion, is still in question.

That being said -- he should fair well in Chicago. He might even put together a decent playoff run along side all of that youthful talent this year which will help take the media pressure/heat offa Marian... that is... until he meets the Red Wings in the WCF and the media is all over his ass about facing his former team :lol:

Nice post sponge.

Nice! Sounds like we can let this die now! Thank God! I don't really appreciate the underhanded comment inferring that I'm not objective because I forgot to mention a bunch of Red Wings in the Hawks thread where it wasn't really appropriate or necessary anyway, but I'll let it slide if it mean we can drop this.

It seems that most highly logical/rational people I know, are oddly illogical sometimes or about specific topics. Shit happens.

When I first read that Hossa had an injury, first thing that came to mind was his underwhelming playoff performance is now explained. I'd hardly point to choker though. You can't be super man every postseason.

Maybe not every postseason, but more than once would be nice, for a player of his skill level. See my response to Spartan's post. The bottom line is the guy typically doesn't bring it and raise him game to another level once the playoffs roll around like an elite player of his skill level, at his pay scale, should. He had one superstar/superman postseason, a few average postseasons for a player of his skill level, and a bunch of disappearing acts.

For the record, I never called him a choker. That was a term Cayuga used, that everybody has seemingly attributed to me. I inferred that he has a tendency to disappear in the playoffs, which he does. That's all. I can't believe this big of a deal has been made of this :rolleyes:

Kyle
07-24-2009, 12:43 PM
Deja vu...

Hockeyis#1
07-24-2009, 09:18 PM
Maybe not every postseason, but more than once would be nice, for a player of his skill level. See my response to Spartan's post. The bottom line is the guy typically doesn't bring it and raise him game to another level once the playoffs roll around like an elite player of his skill level, at his pay scale, should.

How many playoff appearences does he have? Is sample size a legit argument here?:confused:

Spartan
07-24-2009, 10:11 PM
How many playoff appearences does he have? Is sample size a legit argument here?:confused:99-04 with Ottawa, 08' Pens, 09' Wings. His only point per game pace was with the Pens but he was close the two years the Sens went deep. The biggest thing here is the contract activity being a rental at Pitts then taking the cheap deal with Detroit to win. That in and of itself makes him a notable loser in sports history. Kariya and Selanne in Colorado could be comparable but they were never really good there while Hossa performed well in the regular season at Detroit. Like I said previously, he has a monkey on his back right or wrong and it almost doesn't matter what he does unless he wins the cup now.

Kyle
07-25-2009, 12:06 AM
Hossa is not a playoff choker. Period. Yzerman didn't even average a PPG if I recall. Playoffs are a different beast. Few players achieve the same PPG they do over the season. And no, it doesn't say anything different about that player. With few exceptions, playoff stats are completely based on random factors. Yzerman didn't play a lot in the playoffs durring his offensive prime. Gretzkey did. Sakic did. Lots of players don't.

Playoff stats and their comparison to regular season stats has always been a flawed line of thought that has drawn unfair negative attention to players who don't deserve it.

As far as I'm concerned, Hossa didn't have a great playoff year this year. Thats all I'll say about him. I'll say he tries as hard as anyone else on the ice and things didn't bounce his way, much like Datsyuk. I don't consider either a choke job. He had a spectacular run last year with Pittsburgh and was arguably the single best forward on either team in the stanley cup finals. Almost a PPG in the playoffs is pretty fucking quality in this era.

chgorman
07-25-2009, 09:53 AM
99-04 with Ottawa, 08' Pens, 09' Wings. His only point per game pace was with the Pens but he was close the two years the Sens went deep. The biggest thing here is the contract activity being a rental at Pitts then taking the cheap deal with Detroit to win. That in and of itself makes him a notable loser in sports history. Kariya and Selanne in Colorado could be comparable but they were never really good there while Hossa performed well in the regular season at Detroit. Like I said previously, he has a monkey on his back right or wrong and it almost doesn't matter what he does unless he wins the cup now.

And ATL a couple yrs ago ('07 I think?)

Bubbles & Conkey
07-31-2009, 10:03 AM
Check this out...Looks like the Hawk's/Hossa deal is being looked into further

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Chicago/2009/07/30/10319376-sun.html

Kyle
07-31-2009, 12:49 PM
That is interesting. Hossa is clearly past his prime, there is no way he is playing out the full length of that contract. No way he even plans on it.

Note - Hossa is still a spectacular player. But you could you watch his lack of youth clearly as the playoffs progressed this year. He was beaten and had little left to give after the gritty Anahiem series. His power forward style of playing wears the body down much more than any other skater on the ice (Short of a checking line player) and his production will be noticably low by 35 (IMO) and completely halted by 38. Just no way he makes it to 40 let alone 42.

MissingLink
07-31-2009, 01:08 PM
Anyone else think that this is the real reason that Tallon got the boot?

Dubz
07-31-2009, 01:57 PM
Interesting....isnt there many contracts that are similar??? Heres the genesis of this type of contract.

12-Sep-06Re-signed as a restricted free agent by the New York Islanders to a 15-year contract.

Im sure you all know who that is....he will be over 40 yrs old when the contract expires. Im not sure how frontloaded it is either but theres a few other contracts out there that are im sure. It seems the league is all over CHI these days.

Furthermore I'd like to see how they intend to prove anything.

chgorman
07-31-2009, 01:58 PM
I don't understand why the NHL has issue with the Hossa contract, but not with the recent Pronger/Zetterberg/Franzen contracts, which are all structured the same way as the Hossa contract, and (I believe) take each player close to, up to or over age 40. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining (being a Wings fan and all), just seems curious that the NHL is giving CHI a hard time about this, but not DET or PHI.

Kyle
07-31-2009, 02:18 PM
What are the exact terms of the Det contracts including per year salaries and exact ages they end at?

MissingLink
07-31-2009, 03:47 PM
i think the issue is that there is an agreement as to when he is going to retire...

"Hossa and the Blackhawks allegedly agreed that the star forward would retire before the end of the contract, which would lessen the cap hit on the team."

above is from TSN http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=286333

Doctego
07-31-2009, 03:49 PM
If there are loopholes in something that was collectively bargained, I have no sympathy.

Spartan
07-31-2009, 04:59 PM
If there are loopholes in something that was collectively bargained, I have no sympathy.Could not agree more. Sour grapes on the leagues part.

alias
08-01-2009, 10:37 PM
I don't understand why the NHL has issue with the Hossa contract, but not with the recent Pronger/Zetterberg/Franzen contracts, which are all structured the same way as the Hossa contract, and (I believe) take each player close to, up to or over age 40. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining (being a Wings fan and all), just seems curious that the NHL is giving CHI a hard time about this, but not DET or PHI.

Looks like they're looking into Pronger's contract now as well.

http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip199255#clip199255
:38 seconds into the video

Kyle
08-02-2009, 01:07 AM
On farther thought...

I don't see whats so difficult about making a player's salary that YEAR reflect the cap hit that season. Its fucking stupid to work any other way. The whole point of a cap is a fair playing field. A player signing for 12 years at 26 shouldn't have the same cap hit every season. The frontloaded years (Should they choose that route) should reflect a frontloaded cap hit. They're a star in their prime and they shouldn't come any cheaper than that. When they get to the lower paying years of their contract as their productivity drops, their cap hits should drop too. I don't see the flaw in that, I don't see why they have to average out all the years and come up with one average cap hit to apply every season. If hossa's average is 5.5 mill but he gets paid 8 mill this year, Chicago's cap hit should be 8 mill this year, not 5.5.

This would discourage any sort of funny business but I guess the league would rather stubbornly support a flawed system and bitch about the guys who predictably manipulate something so obvious.

The flaw here is the fact that cap hits are based on average salaries over the entire contract. The money a player makes THAT YEAR should be the team's cap hit THAT SEASON. I can't believe it works any other way.

CayugaPosse
08-02-2009, 04:22 AM
Does no one ever use any context when they look at things anymore?

Is common sense so hard to use that we're just going to up and ignore any logic that can be used?

Yes, Marian Hossa only had one playoff run where he scored more points than games played.

But, he had 10 points in 12 games one year, and 16 points in 18 game another year...fucking choke artist!

As for the other times he's been in the playoffs? Ottawa got swept and he scored 2 points in 4 games. Ottawa lost in the first round in 6 games, and here he scored no points. They lost in game 7 and he scored 4 points, and in 06-07, you're right, he only got 1 assist in the 4 game sweep.

All in all, Hossa has 61 points in 75 playoff games. I would hardly consider that a "playoff busto".

We can look at someone like Joe Thornton, who has 48 points in 70 games(I know, not a Blackhawks relevent fact, but I'm making a point so fuck it), and see a little bit more proof of maybe some playoff chokey-ness.

I'm not saying Marian Hossa is a godsend come playoff time, I'm saying he's a fair contributor. If the team is built around him, then he's in trouble most likely. If he's a supporting player I don't see how 61 points in 75 games is something to be scoffed at, considering he plays a real solid 2 way game as well.

And also, Sponge Bob, I absolutely hate that you brought up Max Talbot in this thread. Sorry, I know he's the man crush because of a big game 7. But that doesn't make him clutch, it doesn't make him gritty and it doesn't make him want it more than Hossa, I think Hossa showed how bad he wants it when he spurned big money to sign with Detroit.

Talbot had the game of his life, it co-incided with an important game. If you'd rather have Max Talbot on your team for a playoff run than Marian Hossa, you're a bad person.

Doctego
08-02-2009, 08:12 AM
On farther thought...

I don't see whats so difficult about making a player's salary that YEAR reflect the cap hit that season. Its fucking stupid to work any other way. The whole point of a cap is a fair playing field. A player signing for 12 years at 26 shouldn't have the same cap hit every season. The frontloaded years (Should they choose that route) should reflect a frontloaded cap hit. They're a star in their prime and they shouldn't come any cheaper than that. When they get to the lower paying years of their contract as their productivity drops, their cap hits should drop too. I don't see the flaw in that, I don't see why they have to average out all the years and come up with one average cap hit to apply every season. If hossa's average is 5.5 mill but he gets paid 8 mill this year, Chicago's cap hit should be 8 mill this year, not 5.5.

This would discourage any sort of funny business but I guess the league would rather stubbornly support a flawed system and bitch about the guys who predictably manipulate something so obvious.

The flaw here is the fact that cap hits are based on average salaries over the entire contract. The money a player makes THAT YEAR should be the team's cap hit THAT SEASON. I can't believe it works any other way.

Your example is a logical way to look at things but it doesn't look at everything. It really has nothing to do with paying them more up front because they are in their prime. It is more of a compromise. The player gets more $$ early in the deal. In exchange, they get less $$ later and the team takes a lower average hit. Each side gets something. Ultimately, the players want their $$ as early as possible. It has nothing to do with wanting more $$ now because they are a better player than they will be in 5 years.

t4k9
08-02-2009, 11:47 AM
I believe NHL probably looked at all cases: Take the yearly salary as cap hit or average as cap hit and/or some other ways. Each has its advantage and disadvantage. Assume we are under the yearly salary situation: A GM can sign a player to a long term deal where its back-loaded. Tell the player, we will go for cup runs in the first few years with the cap space we saved on you and you can collect your rewards later. Given a GM's tenure is pretty short, this is a valid stretegy for a team who hasn't won in 50+ years and wants instance success.

Kyle
08-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Your example is a logical way to look at things but it doesn't look at everything. It really has nothing to do with paying them more up front because they are in their prime. It is more of a compromise. The player gets more $$ early in the deal. In exchange, they get less $$ later and the team takes a lower average hit. Each side gets something. Ultimately, the players want their $$ as early as possible. It has nothing to do with wanting more $$ now because they are a better player than they will be in 5 years.

If the players want their money early, the team should have to PAY. Just because its nice for both sides doesn't make it right. The fact is, its absolute shit for every other team in the league. Hossa is NOT going to cost chicago 5.5 million at 40 years old. I promise you that. He will be gone, they do NOT intend on honoring that contract and I'll tell you that as a matter of fact. A player in his prime should cost what he costs, not 3 million lower becuase you tacked on some bullshit 1 million years at the end of a salary.

The salary cap exists for a reason. Its supposed to reward who can fit the right chemistry of talent in under the cap. Manipulating the cap to let an 8 million a year player only cost 5.5 million a year is wrong, and the solution is as stupidly simple as making the salary that year reflect the cap hit that year. When Hossa is old and worth only 1 mill, the cap hit should only be 1 mill.

Tell the player, we will go for cup runs in the first few years with the cap space we saved on you and you can collect your rewards later

Becuase players give a flying fuck that a team hasn't won in 50 years? Sorry, but no, this is not a realistic situation if my idea were to be implimented. Everyone fears injury, its hockey. NOBODY, and please allow me to emphasize nobody whatsoever, will risk collecting as soon as they possibly can to give their team a better chance to win and put themselves at risk of a career ending injury with 5 mill less to their name than they otherwise would've had. Its just not realistic at all to assume that. 1 mill or so for one year like Hossa? Sure. But you're clearly implying a backloaded contract of somewhat considerable length which will just never exist.

Doctego
08-02-2009, 05:16 PM
If the players want their money early, the team should have to PAY. Just because its nice for both sides doesn't make it right. The fact is, its absolute shit for every other team in the league. Hossa is NOT going to cost chicago 5.5 million at 40 years old. I promise you that. He will be gone, they do NOT intend on honoring that contract and I'll tell you that as a matter of fact. A player in his prime should cost what he costs, not 3 million lower becuase you tacked on some bullshit 1 million years at the end of a salary.

The salary cap exists for a reason. Its supposed to reward who can fit the right chemistry of talent in under the cap. Manipulating the cap to let an 8 million a year player only cost 5.5 million a year is wrong, and the solution is as stupidly simple as making the salary that year reflect the cap hit that year. When Hossa is old and worth only 1 mill, the cap hit should only be 1 mill.

Sure, the teams are being a little shady in how they hand out these contracts but these loopholes were collectively bargained so I have no sympathy for anyone. I like what Chicago did with Hossa just like Philly did with Richards and Detroit did with Zetterberg. It is either really smart business or it could bite them in the ass due to major injury or economic circumstances.

Kyle
08-02-2009, 06:11 PM
Thats fine. My point is, the league should deal with it or change that simple rule. I don't care either way, I just can't believe they're handeling it like this.

t4k9
08-03-2009, 01:32 PM
Becuase players give a flying fuck that a team hasn't won in 50 years? Sorry, but no, this is not a realistic situation if my idea were to be implimented. Everyone fears injury, its hockey. NOBODY, and please allow me to emphasize nobody whatsoever, will risk collecting as soon as they possibly can to give their team a better chance to win and put themselves at risk of a career ending injury with 5 mill less to their name than they otherwise would've had. Its just not realistic at all to assume that. 1 mill or so for one year like Hossa? Sure. But you're clearly implying a backloaded contract of somewhat considerable length which will just never exist.

Yes, I am saying if NHL went for the yearly salary, GM will sign long term deals with back-loaded contracts. For example, the Hossa case under the yearly salary cap. GM will offer him a 12 year deal with FIRST 5 years of 4 mil/per and NEXT 7 years of 12 mil/per. Sure, the team is screwed for the last 7 years. But, they have an excellent window of oppurtunity to go for the cup within the first 5 years. And, its a gurenteed contract, he gets paid whether he's injured or not. (In the last 7 years, they can just dwell in the last place and collect picks, which is also a nice strategy.)

If you are a great player who wants to have a run at the cup and the worth about 7mil/per. Would you sign this deal?

chgorman
08-03-2009, 02:17 PM
Yes, I am saying if NHL went for the yearly salary, GM will sign long term deals with back-loaded contracts. For example, the Hossa case under the yearly salary cap. GM will offer him a 12 year deal with FIRST 5 years of 4 mil/per and NEXT 7 years of 12 mil/per. Sure, the team is screwed for the last 7 years. But, they have an excellent window of oppurtunity to go for the cup within the first 5 years. And, its a gurenteed contract, he gets paid whether he's injured or not. (In the last 7 years, they can just dwell in the last place and collect picks, which is also a nice strategy.)

If you are a great player who wants to have a run at the cup and the worth about 7mil/per. Would you sign this deal?

Or conversely, sign a guy for as much as possible over the first couple yrs, and then have the last 5 or more yrs at a significantly lower cap number. The team has to bit the bullet for the first couple yrs when the guy is making insane dough, but then they get him for a number of yrs at a much lower than mkt value cap hit.

It's an open can of worms either way. If you use the avg salary over the length of the deal as the cap hit, you get the issues faced with now. You use Kyles suggestion, it just opens up a whole other set of problems and smart GM's will find ways arround it. Under Kyle's scenario, if a team is gonna suck for a couple yrs and they know it, they sign a few big names for huge cash up front but with much lower salaries for the last two thirds/three quarters of the term, fill out the rest of the team with a bunch of low priced plugs for the first couple yrs of those contracts, likely get a couple good draft picks, then they have a bunch of great players at far below mkt value salaries counting against the cap for a number of years (after paying them big $ for the first couple), a couple solid draft picks on entry level contracts, and can afford to load up on a bunch more talent to go for a cup run for a few yrs. I'm not sure the league wants situations like that either.

Either way you slice it, there's gonna be problems. I don't know if there's a better or worse solution here, let alone a perfect one. In theory, Kyle's solution works, but GM's and capologists will find loopoles and ways around it by structuring the payouts differently and continuing to screw around with term and whatnot.

Kyle
08-03-2009, 02:21 PM
That makes much more sense, Chg. Backloaded contracts will never exist because no player ever wants to make less money for any length longer than 1 year. They just won't. People play in the NHL as a career first and to win a cup second.

What you mentioned Chg is much more reasonable and much more likely and something I didn't consider. Bad teams would give 10 mill a year to a 7 mill player for 3-4 years, collect top draft picks, build a fantastic young team, then when the salary for the allstar drops to 3-4 million, they have that much more money to stack a team and have something truly fantastic for 4-5 years.

It seems there is no realsitic solution and the issue should just be left alone. Under any scenerio there exists ways to exploit the system.

jokah03
02-03-2010, 05:59 PM
Super bump.

Got enough of us here don't we? Lets go Hawks fans.

Bolly coming back tonight..I can't wait. I really hope a goon from STL doesn't take a run at him..but I wouldn't count on it. These games are always so physical and emotional..should be a great game back in front of the home crowd.

a0102030405
02-03-2010, 06:32 PM
any hawks fan have an idea of what the hawks lineup will look like after bolland returns.

Unless they move Ladd down, I don't see Sharp or Hossa being moved down. Plus I doubt Q will mess with the top line.

jokah03
02-03-2010, 07:24 PM
any hawks fan have an idea of what the hawks lineup will look like after bolland returns.

Unless they move Ladd down, I don't see Sharp or Hossa being moved down. Plus I doubt Q will mess with the top line.

I would guess it would be like..

Broweur - Toews - Kane
Sharp - Bolly - Hossa
Ladd - Madden - Buff or Versteeg
Eager - Fraz/Kopecky - Buff or Versteeg

I would guess Fraz sits out first with Versteeg going to the 4th line..I'd rather see Buff down there.

looch17
02-03-2010, 10:01 PM
What happened to Niemi starting tonight? I thought I read that he was going not Huet? Now I have Huet on the bench...bummer.

jokah03
02-03-2010, 10:30 PM
What happened to Niemi starting tonight? I thought I read that he was going not Huet? Now I have Huet on the bench...bummer.

He's sick..I expect him to start next game.

a0102030405
02-03-2010, 10:34 PM
Niemi is sick.

And damn Hossa is a short handed goal scoring beast. You lucky bastards.

chicagohockey
02-05-2010, 09:18 AM
I would guess it would be like..

Broweur - Toews - Kane
Sharp - Bolly - Hossa
Ladd - Madden - Buff or Versteeg
Eager - Fraz/Kopecky - Buff or Versteeg

I would guess Fraz sits out first with Versteeg going to the 4th line..I'd rather see Buff down there.

I think Buff deserves to be on the 4th line, but he is not an energy guy, I don't think he could even keep up with our 4th liners (sadly). God only knows what is goign ot happen when Burish gets back. Hopefully they can find a trade partner becuase we have a lot of young assets that other teams would want that are just going to waste (Hendry / Skille / Buff / Fraiser/ Barker).

The thing I like about this now is that 7 of our top 9 forwards could play the penalty kill too.

On a side note is anyone else waiting for the first Hawk Hossa hat trick? He gets enough opportunities every game.

looch17
02-05-2010, 09:26 AM
He's sick..I expect him to start next game.

Niemi is sick.

And damn Hossa is a short handed goal scoring beast. You lucky bastards.Tbh honest I thought you were both saying he is sick as in good, but then after reading the note on Rotoworld I realized it was sick and in not feeling good lol.:D

a0102030405
02-05-2010, 09:50 AM
Tbh honest I thought you were both saying he is sick as in good, but then after reading the note on Rotoworld I realized it was sick and in not feeling good lol.:D

well he is sick. But he's also sick. :wtf:

bearcats
02-05-2010, 09:59 AM
just read that sharp will be downgraded to the 3rd line and ladd on the second with bolland/hossa...is this an indication that sharpie may be on his way out?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/hockey/blackhawks/ct-spt-0205-blackhawks-chicago--20100204,0,6198083.story

chicagohockey
02-05-2010, 12:33 PM
just read that sharp will be downgraded to the 3rd line and ladd on the second with bolland/hossa...is this an indication that sharpie may be on his way out?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/hockey/blackhawks/ct-spt-0205-blackhawks-chicago--20100204,0,6198083.story

I don't think it is. I think it is Q's attempt to make every line have offensive spark to it. Versteeg can put up decent numbers along with Sharp, and than you have Madden as the forward back. Honestly for the season I am kind of disappointed inthe offense. I thought they would be scoring much more.

It's kind of fun to have the other team worry about the offense on your shut down line. And, if they are playing vs the other teams best line, this usually means a group of forwards that are not thinking defense first. Could be the edge they need to put up some good chances every game.

jokah03
02-06-2010, 04:49 PM
Hope we can right the ship tonight..I would guess Niemi would go here? Phoenix might be a tough out in the playoffs, they play really, really solid defense. Dump and chase all night for the Hawks which obviously took them out of their gameplan.

bearcats
02-06-2010, 08:50 PM
Sharp-Toews-Kane
Kopecky-Bolland-Hossa
Byfuglien-Madden-Brouwer
Ladd-Fraser-Versteeg

chicagos lines tonight...

chicagohockey
02-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Pretty empty week for most of the week, than they sneak in back to back games on Sat/ Sun. Wish they could have spread that out.

Also, did anyone read the rediculous areticle on yahoo, about the Hawks as a potential trade partner for Tim Thomas?

looch17
02-08-2010, 04:50 PM
Pretty empty week for most of the week, than they sneak in back to back games on Sat/ Sun. Wish they could have spread that out.

Also, did anyone read the rediculous areticle on yahoo, about the Hawks as a potential trade partner for Tim Thomas?Thats pretty crazy considering they already have 2 solid goaltenders already in Huet/Niemi.

chicagohockey
02-08-2010, 04:55 PM
Thats pretty crazy considering they already have 2 solid goaltenders already in Huet/Niemi.

I was reading something else that said they might be interested in re-acquiring Wisnewksi and Parros. That makes a little more sense.

looch17
02-10-2010, 10:19 AM
I keep hearing a lot of talk about Huet being moved, Chicago getting a different goalie and I want to know how much truth there is too this? I have Huet as one of my only 3 goalies allowed per team and I am in 1st place so I dont want to get stuck with a bad situation on my hands if he gets dealt. Is it just rumors right now now or is there really something to this? Would it be crazy to try to trade Huet right now with my team doing so good or do you Hawks fan think that its imminent either way?

chicagohockey
02-10-2010, 12:02 PM
I keep hearing a lot of talk about Huet being moved, Chicago getting a different goalie and I want to know how much truth there is too this? I have Huet as one of my only 3 goalies allowed per team and I am in 1st place so I dont want to get stuck with a bad situation on my hands if he gets dealt. Is it just rumors right now now or is there really something to this? Would it be crazy to try to trade Huet right now with my team doing so good or do you Hawks fan think that its imminent either way?

You know I don't see them moving him. I feel like changing a goal tender this late in the season might hurt more than it helps. And who do you go after? Thomas is a bad idea and Boston won't take Huet in return. Pretty much eliminate any goalie where we would take on salary beyond this year and not unload Huet.

That leaves in play Turco, Biron, Josh Harding, Nitty ( who Tampa would not give up since they are in the playoffs as of now), Chris Mason. I really don't see any of these as a huge upgrade. I think they might just look for another defenseman and stick with the goalies they got. Thats just my $0.02.

b_illin
02-10-2010, 12:18 PM
Who would take on Huet's contract though? (please not the Leafs...unless they get something great back with Huet and give up Finger..then immediately bury Huet's contract somehow)

chicagohockey
02-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Who would take on Huet's contract though? (please not the Leafs...unless they get something great back with Huet and give up Finger..then immediately bury Huet's contract somehow)

That's why I don't think he is going anywhere, that or a team has to have a god awful goaltending situation.
Maybe Khabibulin will retire and we can con Edmonton into taking Huet next : ).

The only way I could see someone taking Huet is if we sent some young uns along with him and maybe a pick. Essentially just bribing a team to take Huet.

looch17
02-10-2010, 04:26 PM
Well judging by the Hawks fans responses it looks like I am safe with Huet this year.

jokah03
02-12-2010, 01:56 AM
I don't think any goalie change will happen, but if Dallas offered me Turco for Huet straight up (or I'd even throw in a pick) I'd do it in a heartbeat. UFA for Turco next year who is almost certainly getting a paycut, and we get out of the 3+ years left with Huet.

chicagohockey
02-12-2010, 10:42 AM
I don't think any goalie change will happen, but if Dallas offered me Turco for Huet straight up (or I'd even throw in a pick) I'd do it in a heartbeat. UFA for Turco next year who is almost certainly getting a paycut, and we get out of the 3+ years left with Huet.

Ohhh I agree completely. I would throw in Huet + Versteeg+ Buff for Turco. That would free up 11 million and we get Turco. That is space to sign Hammer, resign Madden / Niemi, and fix our cap problem.

All we have to give up is Buff (whom I hate anyway because he just doesn't seem to fit in on this team) and Versteeg whom is pissing me off lately with all his dancing around on the ice. Quit trying to stick handle around everyone and shoot the puck/ dump it into the zone. I think everytime he actually dumps the puck into the zone it should be a highlight on NHL on the fly or sports center thats how rare it is.

Edit: I Would even be willign to resign Turco for one year to split time with Niemi. He has been saying he only wants to play about 50 games. Cut that back to 45 and give Niemie the other 37 and I think we have a nice transition goal tender.

jokah03
02-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Consider Stan Bowman 1 for 1 so far. Great deal, get almost 5 mil off the books for next year, while getting stronger this year on defense, WHILE picking up a first round pick who's only 19? Doesn't get much better. Looks like Turco isn't going anywhere until at least March 3.

chicagohockey
02-12-2010, 09:32 PM
Barker was only going to make 3 million, but still a good deal.

dw13
02-12-2010, 09:35 PM
Barker was only going to make 3 million, but still a good deal.

Johnsson's 5 million. Not Barkers 3.

chicagohockey
02-12-2010, 10:34 PM
I realize that, but the deal let us get rid of the 3 million for barker. If the deal never happened we never would have had the Johnsson 5.

chicagohockey
02-16-2010, 02:46 PM
I hope the Hawks fix their defense while on the Olympic break. It seems more often than not the last few games the other team can find a forward alone near the net behind our defense. Too much staring at the puck and not focusing on what the other forwards are doing.

Also was anyone else as shocked as i was to see Niemi back to back Sat/ Sun. I wonder if he keeps getting the games until he loses.

looch17
02-16-2010, 02:50 PM
Also was anyone else as shocked as i was to see Niemi back to back Sat/ Sun. I wonder if he keeps getting the games until he loses.Really, really glad I traded for him at the begining of the year before he went on this run. He may end being one of my two keeper goalies at this point too. This is of course he fits into Chicago's future plans.

jokah03
02-16-2010, 04:04 PM
Since it costs so much for tickets anymore at the UC, me and my brother went up to Columbus on Sunday. Great game, great atmosphere, great arena. Good stuff.

chicagohockey
02-16-2010, 04:41 PM
Since it costs so much for tickets anymore at the UC, me and my brother went up to Columbus on Sunday. Great game, great atmosphere, great arena. Good stuff.

This is going to sound bad, but I kind of miss when the Hawks sucked. Like the whole time i was in college they had the show your college ID get cheap ass seats for $8. But, back then you pretty much had the entire section to yourself (excpet Detroit games). So you get your $8 seat and than move wherever the hell you want. You didn't have to hear 4,567 &$$hole screem shot the puck because there were barely that many people there.

I love hockey, but i honestly thing my love of hockey is outweighed by my hate of dumb people. And, the Hawks are turning into the new Cubs, bunch of people that jsut go to the game to chat, drink, and be cool. When really they don't even know what an icing call is. Those people taking seats from legitmate hockey fans and making people who apprecaite the came not enjoy it as much. And it's very sad because there is nothing like live pro hockey.

phaneuf6
02-16-2010, 06:37 PM
This is going to sound bad, but I kind of miss when the Hawks sucked. Like the whole time i was in college they had the show your college ID get cheap ass seats for $8. But, back then you pretty much had the entire section to yourself (excpet Detroit games). So you get your $8 seat and than move wherever the hell you want. You didn't have to hear 4,567 &$$hole screem shot the puck because there were barely that many people there.

I love hockey, but i honestly thing my love of hockey is outweighed by my hate of dumb people. And, the Hawks are turning into the new Cubs, bunch of people that jsut go to the game to chat, drink, and be cool. When really they don't even know what an icing call is. Those people taking seats from legitmate hockey fans and making people who apprecaite the came not enjoy it as much. And it's very sad because there is nothing like live pro hockey.

Welcome to Leafland. Can't stand some of the people that usually sit around me at the games. Its painful to listen to.

jokah03
02-16-2010, 08:25 PM

$8 student seats were the best. Sure you got the top row seats, but you could move down to wherever you wanted in the 300 level. I remember going up there day of game and getting $8 seats in Crosby's rookie season on a Friday night. Now a Pittsburgh game would probably go for $100 a pop.

That's to be expected though. The Hawks are the "new cool thing" in Chicago right now so that obviously is going to draw attention to the game. Business partners will bring clients to Hawks games, people will go there to take pictures and send text messages to their friends saying "omg I'm at the hawks game!!1"

I'm sure every big fanbase has those fans though (Toronto, Montreal, Washington, Pittsburgh, ect). It was really nice being able to go up and see the Hawks for super cheap, but its also really nice seeing a totally full building and watching your team win a lot of games. Double edged sword I guess.

chicagohockey
02-17-2010, 08:50 AM
$8 student seats were the best. Sure you got the top row seats, but you could move down to wherever you wanted in the 300 level. I remember going up there day of game and getting $8 seats in Crosby's rookie season on a Friday night. Now a Pittsburgh game would probably go for $100 a pop.

That's to be expected though. The Hawks are the "new cool thing" in Chicago right now so that obviously is going to draw attention to the game. Business partners will bring clients to Hawks games, people will go there to take pictures and send text messages to their friends saying "omg I'm at the hawks game!!1"

I'm sure every big fanbase has those fans though (Toronto, Montreal, Washington, Pittsburgh, ect). It was really nice being able to go up and see the Hawks for super cheap, but its also really nice seeing a totally full building and watching your team win a lot of games. Double edged sword I guess.

It is definitely a double edged sword. When I see all the people walking down the street in Hawks gear my mind is torn between two things. The first is it's nice to see them getting the recognition they deserve over other sports consdering hockey players are probably the most skilled atheletes of the four major sports (i know this is debatable). The other part of me is like where the f were you 10 years ago, now I know I can't say this to a little kid, but to people that are old enough to be at the games when they were good, it's just sad.

The only thing that is worse is when people try to deny that they are band wagon jumpers. And all of them, everyone I talked to pulls out the same BS excuse, "Well I didn't go to the games because I didn't want to support dollar bill." And I can't really call them a liar for that. Until i ask them if the Hawks would have made it to the Stanley cup would they not have gone to any of the games since they didn't want to support the owner. And they have the nerve to actually say they would not have gone. Which we know is complete BS because if that were true there would only be about 4,000 people from Chicago in the stands and the rest from surrounding states.

I hate people. (I should just make that my signature.)

jokah03
02-17-2010, 06:14 PM
I like how all of the Chicago radio personalities all have jumped on the bandwagon too. Before, talking about the Hawks was unheard of, all the radio stations avoided it like the plague. Now that the Hawks are actually good, it seems like they all know everything about hockey now and are giddy to talk about it. Bandwagoners are retarded..what can you say. I think I went to my first hawk game in 2006, but I never watched the sport growing up. After going to my first game, I fell in love with the sport.

There are some fans that I'm sure are like this, never really cared about hockey and went to a game and fell in love with it. I'm happy that we have more hockey fans, because hockey as a whole needs it. I just hope that when/if the lean years come back for the Hawks, they all don't jump off the bandwagon.

Then again, Wrigley is exactly like this. During the summer, its the biggest thing in Chicago. People go to take pictures and take business clients to Wrigley just to say they can be there, exactly like the Hawks. Finding a game to go to in the summertime in Wrigley is really hard to do, but if they aren't playing well in August or September, you can go for 10 bucks a ticket.

looch17
02-17-2010, 08:11 PM
I hate people. (I should just make that my signature.)Ha do I see a request coming. ;):lol:

Dubz
02-17-2010, 09:28 PM
I ultimately wonder how it must feel to fall n love with hockey at an older age. Honestly...I grew up with Saturday nights being the sleepover focal point of the weak watching Guy Lafleur (with a Habs fan) kill my beloved Leafs. Just seems strange to me that some people come into this wonderful fan hood by different means.

My child, a girl, is an avid Spits fan (Windsor of the OHL) and a Leaf fan by default (sorry kid buts its something thats handed down:p) and still just did her school project on AO...I think someone other than me is influencing her:lol: She taught me thing or two about his brother that I didnt know;)

Anyways I just thought it was a contrasting topic and thought sharing would be cool. Id also like to add that since the Hawks got that new building (Huhum...kinda like the Pens) they were destined to turn it around. I actually had them pegged to win the Crosby sweepstakes (I think it was fixed btw(joke) and joining the elite at that time. Its nice to be loved but when the TIX go up you can see the other side of the coin. Another interesting topic. Sorry for rambling....hope I didnt veer the convo too far off course:beer:

jokah03
02-17-2010, 09:36 PM
Growing up (and living) in Northwest Indiana, hockey was never around me. The closest rink is probably a few hours away. As a kid, it was baseball, then basketball, then football (later on) and then ultimately hockey. I knew about the sport, I just didn't care about it. I remember playing NHL 93 or 94 on the SNES and having fun with the game, but obviously not having any idea what I was doing.

I guess I probably rented an NHL 2002 or something in the early 2000's, being intrigued but never really watching hockey. While the games were fun to play, I had no idea what hockey really was. Then in 2006 I went to a game and fell in love with it. I was always a sports guy growing up so if hockey was around me, I'd probably have learned to skate/play hockey too, but never did.

chicagohockey
02-18-2010, 09:22 AM
Id also like to add that since the Hawks got that new building (Huhum...kinda like the Pens) they were destined to turn it around.

This is something else that bugs the back of my mind. It's always refered to as the house that Michael built, but no one ever mentions how the Hawks went to the playoffs for like 24 seasons in a row before the new building was built.

It's funny how whenever you read a story about an athlete (liek a football or baseball player) meeting a hockey player, they talk about how amazing fit hockey players are, basically giving them the respect they deserve. But that never carries over to fans that don't know about hockey.

looch17
03-02-2010, 10:53 PM
Does Boynton have a spot on the roster or is not worth much? I was wondering cause I am thinking about adding him for PIMs.

chicagohockey
03-04-2010, 08:38 AM
Does Boynton have a spot on the roster or is not worth much? I was wondering cause I am thinking about adding him for PIMs.

I don't think he'll dress regularly unless someone gets hurt.
It probably looks like:

Keith - Seabrook
Hjalmer - Campbell
Sopel - and any of Johannson, Hendry, Boyton

looch17
03-04-2010, 11:03 AM
I don't think he'll dress regularly unless someone gets hurt.
It probably looks like:

Keith - Seabrook
Hjalmer - Campbell
Sopel - and any of Johannson, Hendry, BoytonAlright thanks. Maybe I'll look at Sutton.

madsci
03-04-2010, 12:43 PM
My child, a girl, is an avid Spits fan (Windsor of the OHL) and a Leaf fan by default (sorry kid buts its something thats handed down:p) and still just did her school project on AO...I think someone other than me is influencing her:lol:

Enjoy it while it lasts. My three sons were all Leafs fans by default until they were old enough to realize how bad they are - at about age five. They were born in Montreal, so are now Habs fans (barely tolerable). The youngest is still a Leafs fan because he's only two years old, but I'm worried because we now live in Ottawa and he might become a Sens fan (completely intolerable).

I have to say, though, having spent my 35 years of suffering, my protective fatherly instincts are a bit glad they're not fans of the blue and white...

jokah03
03-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Yea, I don't see Boynton getting much time. Just a depth move so he'll probably get spot starts here and there.

chicagohockey
03-04-2010, 02:57 PM
At least we know we have the depth now if we have any injuries at forward or defenseman.

Everyone was waiting for the goalie move at the trade dealine, but I keep telling everyone i know. Can the goal tending really be worse in the playoffs this year then it was last year?

Corey Crawfor - .857
Khabi - .898
Huet - .910

The teams better, based on those numbers the goaltending is better (not alot better, but better). I think we really didn't need to make any big moves yesterday.

jokah03
03-07-2010, 01:12 AM
I think our goaltending is shaky at best. That being said, the playoffs I think we'll tighten it up even more, so Huet/Niemi should only be seeing 20-25 SPG in the playoffs. If you can hold opponents to two goals a night, I could see this team going far. That also being said, if Huet plays like he's capable, we can go really far. If he plays like the Huet we all know and love, it might get ugly.

Kyle
03-07-2010, 01:24 AM
Eh the Wings have proven multiple times you only need "good enough" goaltending to win the cup. Not that they haven't had great playoff performances from Osgood/Vernon/Hasek over the years but generally amazing goaltending is not a requirement for great teams. Chicago has played the type of hockey all year that makes a goaltender look way better, as long as they can play to the standard they set this season in the playoffs, their goaltending will be more than enough. The better your puck possession, the worse your goalies can be in the playoffs.

jokah03
03-07-2010, 01:36 AM
Eh the Wings have proven multiple times you only need "good enough" goaltending to win the cup. Not that they haven't had great playoff performances from Osgood/Vernon/Hasek over the years but generally amazing goaltending is not a requirement for great teams. Chicago has played the type of hockey all year that makes a goaltender look way better, as long as they can play to the standard they set this season in the playoffs, their goaltending will be more than enough. The better your puck possession, the worse your goalies can be in the playoffs.

Agreed, but even in that 5 game series vs. Chicago last year, Osgood looked damn good. I hope Huet can have a few of those performances. The one thing that doesn't make me worried is what Chicago said..Khabi didn't look great in the playoffs last year and we got to the WCF..if Huet can play just as good (hopefully better) this team can make the SCF.

Kyle
03-07-2010, 01:46 AM
Yeah I def agree that Ozzy played great the last two playoff stretches. But that starts in front of him, and Chicago plays that same type of posession hockey that gives goalies good confidence durring pressure situations like the playoffs. Chicago's shot differential is diisgusting (Something stupidly high like +8), that makes the mental load on a goalie way easier. It also helps that if Huet does shit a brick you have an extremely capable backup who might just step in and dominate. Ultimately I don't see goaltending costing you the cup this year, its going to be a skater issue if it doesn't happen IMO.

chicagohockey
03-07-2010, 01:18 PM
I worry about the other teams goal tending more than the Hawks. It's not like the Hawks have lost a ton of games, but there are those games that we lose and you just scratch your head thinking, "how the hell did the goalie stop that much rubber?"

I just hope we don't run into a goalie like that in the playoffs.

Edit: it's nice to see some offesne from the third line. And holy shit did you Kris Versteeg, did you see it!!!! He dumped the puck in, no BS I hope they show a replay so I can make sure I wasn't imagining things.

Kyle
03-07-2010, 01:29 PM
I worry about the other teams goal tending more than the Hawks. It's not like the Hawks have lost a ton of games, but there are those games that we lose and you just scratch your head thinking, "how the hell did the goalie stop that much rubber?"

Thats a good sign. Ultimately if your biggest concern is the one thing you can't control, that means you're doing all the things you can control correctly, so you're probably OK heading into the playoffs.

Edit - A no goal call FOR the Wings? Oh my!

Kyle
03-07-2010, 01:32 PM
Double

Kyle
03-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Datsyuk totally undressed Kane on the 5th goal at the end of the 2nd :D

chicagohockey
03-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Datsyuk totally undressed Kane on the 5th goal at the end of the 2nd :D

He totally did, which I am not suprised with. What suprised me is where the hell were the defenseman on that one? I have heard of one D man being caught, but both?

Hjalmer and Campbell should be benched the rest of the game the way they played this period.

Kyle
03-07-2010, 02:17 PM
That was what I wondered too. Datsyuk does what he did to Kane 3-4 times a game but it never results in a breakaway, its usually just a good defensive play. I think it was just a rare case of players misjudging the time on the clock and thinking they can go 100% offensive and not even worry about the other half of your ice. Next thing you know the scoreboard shows 3 seconds and its 5-2...its a tough break for the Chicago defense but at the same time thats Pavel Datsyuk out there, you have to know he only needs 6-7 seconds to make something happen.

I feel bad for Niemi on the goal. He caught on to Datsyuk's trickery and stayed on his feet and stuck with him and Datsyuk just casually shoves it in the five-hole. Theres no winning for goalies when hes on the breakaway.

jokah03
03-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Yikes..that is all.

Also..should of been 3-0 no problem..but instead it's 5-2..that GI call was so laughable. So you're going to take away a goal but NOT call a penelty..oh yea..maybe it's because HE DIDNT TOUCH THE GOALIE.

jokah03
03-07-2010, 02:47 PM
LADDERRRRR!!

Hatty baby..lets go!

jokah03
03-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Well you hope the refs don't come back to make or break a game..but...3-0...come on.

Sigh.

chicagohockey
03-07-2010, 03:06 PM
Well you hope the refs don't come back to make or break a game..but...3-0...come on.

Sigh.

I think in the next collective bargining agreement they should put a clause in reminding the referee's that goalies are hockey players too. And, they can be called for diving.

I am not just talking about the Howard GI call either because Huet did the same thing about 5 minutes later. I used to lvoe goalies before the lockout, but now they are the QB's of the NHL excpet they have the most padding.

It was a great game, some big hits with no fights. That was the thing I loved the most about these two teams. If it's a clean hit no one has to defend themselves.

jokah03
03-07-2010, 03:10 PM
I really hope Detroit doesn't make the playoffs or they surge to the 4/5/6 seed. If their 7-8 and the Hawks are 1-2..I would HATE to face Detroit in the first round of the playoffs..that's just unfair. I hope we finish 2 if Detroit finishes 8th, obviously..I think Detroit would knockout San Jose..but either way one team that stands in the Hawks path would go down.

The revolving goalie door continues...Niemi will surely start next game.

Kyle
03-07-2010, 03:14 PM
LOL Jokah, believe me, not a single person in hockeytown wants to see the Hawks early in the playoffs either, or at all if possible.

I used to lvoe goalies before the lockout, but now they are the QB's of the NHL excpet they have the most padding.

Agreed 100%. Drawing penalties just keeps becomming more and more of an art as players get better at it.

redwingbill
03-07-2010, 03:22 PM
I'm surprised no one made a run @ Vokoun!

jokah03
03-07-2010, 04:42 PM
It just sucks to think that 8 out of 15 teams make the playoffs in each conference..and if you finish top 1 or 2..you shouldn't have to be facing a team like DETROIT in the first round..that would be very, very frustrating to see first round.

Kyle
03-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Yeah, it'd be a shame (if Det makes in the playoffs) that one of these two might have to be gone in the 1st round.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Yeah, it'd be a shame (if Det makes in the playoffs) that one of these two might have to be gone in the 1st round.

would not :p

chicagohockey
03-07-2010, 10:00 PM
would not :p

What if it's the Sharks...again : )

MrScientist
03-08-2010, 11:52 AM
I didn't think Huet was as much to blame as it was made out to be. The first goal, he was off position, yes. The second goal, perfect Bert screen, no blame there. Third goal, what the fuck were the defenseman (Hendry) and forward doing? Williams had two guys all over him, no reason that puck should ever have gotten to his stick. Fourth goal, his defense didn't just hang him out to dry, they lynched him.

jokah03
03-08-2010, 03:22 PM
You have to get the momentum back in your favor..when you let up four goals in a matter of about six minutes, you can't blame it all on the goaltender, but he needs to make some stops out there. I've seen this from Huet a lot this season too, it seems sometimes when it rains, it pours (see Minnesota game where we lost I think a 5-1 or 5-2 lead in the 3rd.)

Cornholio
03-08-2010, 04:22 PM
It just sucks to think that 8 out of 15 teams make the playoffs in each conference..and if you finish top 1 or 2..you shouldn't have to be facing a team like DETROIT in the first round..that would be very, very frustrating to see first round.
Right!
The Wings should be automatically seeded on first place! :cool:

jokah03
03-08-2010, 04:29 PM
I hope that we finish 2nd and the Wings are 8th or 6th, obviously. Wings vs. Sharks would be a Hawks fans dream.

chicagohockey
03-11-2010, 10:09 AM
Niemi looked solid yesterday. He could have stopped the Kopitar goal, but the Brown goal was actually nice. You don't see to many wrap arounds where they score on the far post. Usually it's stuffed home or off the goal tender.

I wonder who is going to get stuck vs Philly and who is going to get stuck vs Washington. Should be difficult match ups either way.

Hamsterkill
03-11-2010, 01:28 PM
I dunno. I still don't think Philly will present a tough challenge to the contenders.

jokah03
03-11-2010, 06:46 PM
They will go how far Leighton takes them. If he keeps playing out of his mind, they could go all the way, but unproven playoff goalies are always a worry. Unless he can do this..http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/minorlh/news/story?id=3366250

chicagohockey
03-12-2010, 04:10 PM
Blackhawks sign defenseman Stanton
Daily Herald News Services

The Blackhawks have signed defenseman Ryan Stanton to a three-year entry-level contract, which begins at the start of the 2010-'11 season.
Stanton, 20, leads club blueliners with 30 assists and 40 points ď both career highs in 57 games with the Western Hockey Leagues Moose Jaw Warriors. The St. Albert, Alberta, native is tied for the lead among Warriors defensemen with a career-best 10 goals and holds third overall on the squad with 79 penalty minutes.
Stanton has racked up 102 points (19G, 83A) and 335 penalty minutes in 240 regular-season games with Moose Jaw over the last five seasons (2006-10) which includes finishing second among team blueliners and fifth overall on the club with 34 points (5G, 29A) in 69 tilts last season.
He appeared in six postseason games with the Warriors in 2008, collecting two penalty minutes.

Kyle
03-13-2010, 10:33 AM
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=521136

"I think (save percentage) is not a fair stat when your teams give up so few shots. It's misleading," Quenneville said. "All year long with our goals-against average we've been at the top in the League, and to me, for us, that's the best measuring stat for a goalie. The other stat won't be flattering when you don't give up too many shots."

I agree with Quenneville. Not that Chicago's goalies are great or anything but I think the issue is being overblown. Your Sv% will never look good on a team that allows 24 shots a game.

Cornholio
03-13-2010, 11:22 AM
And it sucks fantasy-wise ;)

jokah03
03-13-2010, 03:22 PM
Talk about blowing it.

chicagohockey
03-13-2010, 04:04 PM
Talk about blowing it.

Who was the asshole that was leisurly stroling toward the bench rather than back checking or trying to get to the bench so someone could change and get on Giroux's ass.

Kyle
03-13-2010, 04:46 PM
That was ridiculous. The tying goal was bad enough, no one should ever be able to cherry pick like that and waltz right in and it was a very easily stoppable puck for Huet. The game winning goal was just as horrible and you would think after the Datsyuk trick at the end of the 2nd that these guys would learn to quit being defensively irresponsible in the last 10 secs of a period. And Pronger had no lift on the puck whatsoever, I'm surprised Huet couldn't get the pad down and stop it, all Pronger did was direct it towards the net.

Overall weak goals by Huet but the team left him hanging. Tough loss but ultimately it was your win until two defensive lapses so its not like the Flyers owned you or anything...shit happens but wow, 2 seconds...

Cornholio
03-13-2010, 06:50 PM
The guy who fucked it stood on his blueline as Hartnell got the puck, about 8 seconds to go.
So there was a 3 on 3, Hartnell, Giroux and Pronger against Mr. X and the 2 D-men.
And Mr. X made the step towards the neutral zone, towards Hartnell, who passed the puck to Giroux, making it a 3 on 2 for the Flyers.
He then turned and skated into the direktion where Pronger was heading, but of course was too slow, because he wasn't moving forward all the time.
How the hell can a pro guy make such a bad mistake, with less than 10 seconds to go in the 3rd at a tie game??
And: who was that sucker? :D

Cornholio
03-13-2010, 06:52 PM
Troy Brouwer
YouTube- Philadelphia Flyers shot the wining goal 3 seconds before end - March 13th, 2010

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-14-2010, 04:00 AM
Troy Brouwer
YouTube- Philadelphia Flyers shot the wining goal 3 seconds before end - March 13th, 2010 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMZwrN3AAjM)

omg - OUCH! Huet got left out to dry. Amazing rush by Filthy. I heard about it but didn't see the vid til now, but am damned glad I did. Thanks - I love the HI community! :beer: :beer: :beer:

Hockeyis#1
03-14-2010, 09:20 AM
Lot of bad D in that game bailed out by good goaltending.

two24four
03-14-2010, 01:11 PM
What's everyone's thoughts on the Ovechkin hit today on Campbell, he got a 5 min boarding and a game misconduct for it.

It's time the NHL gives him a few games off, OV can be dirty sometimes.

MrScientist
03-14-2010, 01:15 PM
What's everyone's thoughts on the Ovechkin hit today on Campbell, he got a 5 min boarding and a game misconduct for it.

It was a careless play, but I don't think it should have been more than a boarding minor. I also doubt he'll get suspended this time, but it's bound to happen.

Dubz
03-14-2010, 01:16 PM

I havent seen it yet....but he should get more than a slap on the wrist if its a suspendable shot. I wouldnt mind him sitting out till the playoff:lol: (obviously I dont own him and am joking)

Kyle
03-14-2010, 01:19 PM
Man, now hes adding boarding to his resume this year? How can the NHL justifiy not suspending him for 2-4 games on his, what, 4th or 5th dirty hit of the year?

phaneuf6
03-14-2010, 01:40 PM
Now we've got ourselves a hockey game. Just need some hockey commentators on NBC and we're set.

Kyle
03-14-2010, 01:47 PM
I'm so fucking sick of teams throwing away third periods to Washington. Red Wings did it giving them two goals in the last 2 minutes of the game and now this monumental choke. Every time I'm ready to make my point about Washington against top teams, the top team chokes hard.

Also, goddamn, how often are we seeing these crazy 3 goals/2 minutes flurries around the league this year?

phaneuf6
03-14-2010, 01:55 PM
I'm so fucking sick of teams throwing away third periods to Washington. Red Wings did it giving them two goals in the last 2 minutes of the game and now this monumental choke. Every time I'm ready to make my point about Washington against top teams, the top team chokes hard.

Also, goddamn, how often are we seeing these crazy 3 goals/2 minutes flurries around the league this year?

That Cap's PP is deadly. The way they pushed the Chicago triangle back below the hashmarks with the quick passing was pretty impressive.

Dubz
03-14-2010, 02:01 PM
I thought Versteeg was going to get a 2.1 second left goal there. OT here we come.

phaneuf6
03-14-2010, 02:06 PM
Holy. Didn't even see it go in. The Hawks have got to pull it together.

Kyle
03-14-2010, 02:08 PM
Man, Chicago really played this season backwards. They got the playoff hockey out of their system in the first 50 games I guess.

jokah03
03-14-2010, 02:15 PM
This has been the Hawks MO almost all year..when it rains if fucking POURS. One goal turns into four in a second...it's ridiculous. Niemi stood on his head but still let up four goals, the defense still looks awful...I mean you have Sopel and Hendry out there with a minute left? Let's go..

I honestly didn't see the first, but what I did see Kane has looked HORRIBLE the last two games..he looks like he's taking a page out of Byfuglien's book and checking out mentally. Just another piss poor effort, but I think this game would of been a lot different had Ovie, Hossa and Campbell all been in there.

Hossa, imo, has been the most consistent performer night in and night out. Kane looks like a lost puppy dog out there.

Kyle
03-14-2010, 02:24 PM
Its tough to not give them the highest expectations possible after the WCF run but this team really has still just builded itself. You're gonna run into a few shit straks but they're definitely still a favorite going into the playoffs.

redwingbill
03-14-2010, 02:30 PM

The hit was borderline but if you're going to suspend OV then they have to do it also with players like Cooke. The NHL needs to clean this up, players going out of their way to injure others has to be dealt with severely. Fans want to see the stars at their best, not goons running wild on the ice.

Kyle
03-14-2010, 02:33 PM
The hit was borderline but if you're going to suspend OV then they have to do it also with players like Cooke. The NHL needs to clean this up, players going out of their way to injure others has to be dealt with severely. Fans want to see the stars at their best, not goons running wild on the ice.

No they don't. Cooke is protected by the fact that his hit is legal in the current NHL rulebook. Technically, Cooke did nothing wrong on the play. The NHL's rulebook allows that exact hit which is why no penalty was called. Ovechkin broke an NHL rule and can be disciplined any way they see fit. Don't be shocked to see maybe 1-4 games.

Next year, Cooke's hit will be a penalty and a suspension. Today, its legal.

redwingbill
03-14-2010, 02:37 PM
No they don't. Cooke is protected by the fact that his hit is legal in the current NHL rulebook. Technically, Cooke did nothing wrong on the play. The NHL's rulebook allows that exact hit which is why no penalty was called. Ovechkin broke an NHL rule and can be disciplined any way they see fit. Don't be shocked to see maybe 1-4 games.

That's what I meant, It has to change. Fix it because to this date it's garbage.

canuckthug
03-14-2010, 02:52 PM

I agree. This hit looked similar to Lapierre's hit in San Jose last week. He got 4. Ovy could easily get 4 games. The fact that Campbell is injured doesn't help Ovy's case either.

chicagohockey
03-14-2010, 03:56 PM
Throw in a few game misconducts prior to this and I think he will get at least a game or two now.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-14-2010, 05:03 PM
wow Chicago, you're killing my fantasy team. I need this goaltending to be strong down the stretch, damn..

OV at it again I see. :nono:

Hockeyis#1
03-14-2010, 05:05 PM

+1

Ovie should get 4-5 games. He won't, but he should.

two24four
03-14-2010, 07:15 PM
They are saying Campbell is going to miss the Hawks three game road trip coming up, give OV at least three games.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-14-2010, 07:53 PM
I doubt he gets suspended at all...

Dubz
03-14-2010, 08:27 PM
That looks similar to the hit Lapierre threw. I doubt he would get anything if it was his first or second game suspension. If precedence has been set he will get some time off.

Colin "Blind Dart" Campbell will toss the random game dart on this one.

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1417405146889&id=22d1c0a51028561e8f936d5b8551f266&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.cbc.ca%2fgfx%2ftopstory%2fspo rts%2fcampbell_colin050127.jpg

Somebody shop a dart in his ear and maybe some of those blind man glasses as well.

Kyle
03-14-2010, 08:50 PM
I actually watched it now...wow that was bad. He has to get suspended IMO. Blatant push from the back on a defenseless player.

This is why Ovy is a psuedo-captain. Captain by "most rocket richard on the team" crtieria. Down 1 goal and he throws a horrible dirty useless hit on a player who had clearly gotten rid of the puck (So he had no good to gain out of it) and looks like a goon. Gets kicked out of the game and the team rallies from 3 goals down without him. He is not their captain any more than Semin is, hes just a dude who scores points.

Hes just too damn immature and has now put a handful of people in serious danger this year with his garbage hits.

Quite frankly you can name me some of the dirtiest hitters in leauge history and I would highly doubt you could find many of their seasons where they've thrown quite as many questionable hits as Ovechkin this year. I'm being dramatic but its a serious problem with this guy. He doesn't have any regard for the safety of anybody on the ice (himself included wth some of the knee-on-knee situations hes put himself in) and that combined with his size, strength, and speed, makes him a huge safety concern.

From the dirty knee on Gonchar in the playoffs last year until now, Ovechkin has had no less than 5-6 suspension-worthy incidents in under a year. How many other players in the league can you say that about?

HT9
03-14-2010, 09:03 PM
YouTube- Alexander Ovechkin injures Brian Campbell - March 14th, 2010

Dubz
03-15-2010, 12:46 AM
This is what he says:

"It was not a hard hit," he said. "I just wanted to push him. It's just a moment in the game. I don't think it has to be five minutes or something like that. I just felt bad."I have to admit thats the first time ive heard him say the last line there but its certainly not too convincing giving the text before hand.

two24four
03-15-2010, 12:58 AM
Wow, they are saying Campbell could be done for the season, it's just a report right now.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=314096

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-15-2010, 01:10 AM
damn that hella sucks for the Hawks and for Soupy. Get well soon bud.

I've never liked AO and have been calling him a cheap shot artist his entire NHL career. Time after time he just keeps building the case. He deserves a suspension for sure but knowing the NHL. . .

Kyle
03-15-2010, 01:41 AM
This is what he says:

I have to admit thats the first time ive heard him say the last line there but its certainly not too convincing giving the text before hand.

Yeah I'll call bullshit.

"It wasn't a hard hit." It wasn't a hit at all you cheap fuck, you just pushed him right at his back and it was a VERY hard push.

"I just felt bad" I've seen players feel bad immediately after hurting someone. I'm not calling Ovy the devil but there was clearly no concern on his face or in his body language. He looked more angry than anything to be quite frank.

"Its just a moment in the game" were those not the exact words hes used for multiple knee-on-knee collisions? What a joke.

Chilly_Willy
03-15-2010, 09:49 AM
Normally I would like to see something but after that Matt Cooke ruling I don't think anyone should be suspended for anything ever again. Player safety is just not a concern for the nhl, they want cheap shot highlights going around I guess.

phaneuf6
03-15-2010, 09:51 AM
Yeah I'll call bullshit.

"It wasn't a hard hit." It wasn't a hit at all you cheap fuck, you just pushed him right at his back and it was a VERY hard push.

"I just felt bad" I've seen players feel bad immediately after hurting someone. I'm not calling Ovy the devil but there was clearly no concern on his face or in his body language. He looked more angry than anything to be quite frank.

"Its just a moment in the game" were those not the exact words hes used for multiple knee-on-knee collisions? What a joke.

Yeah he looked mad as if 'WTF is this guy still doing on the ice?'. I've always thought Ovechkin was a douche and I hope he gets suspended.

Edit: Looks like he won't be suspended?

Despite this being Ovechkin's third game misconduct this season, he will not be suspended because the penalties were not assessed for the same infraction. His last game misconduct was handed out for a knee-on-knee hit on Tim Gleason (http://tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/?name=tim+gleason) of the Carolina Hurricanes.
Same article.

I hope Campbell can make it back this year, that's a terrible way to finish a season and a huge blow to the Hawks.

looch17
03-15-2010, 11:20 AM
Who is expected to pick up the slack for Campbell now on the blueline?

Dubz
03-15-2010, 12:25 PM

They traded him:\

chgorman
03-15-2010, 12:32 PM

I'm not a CHI fan, so take this with a grain of salt, but if I had to guess, I'd say Hjalmarsson (sp?) would be the one they ask to step up to play with Johnsson and try to make up for some of the lost offence. Possibly Hendry, but he's pretty young/inexperienced to be relied on as a 4th D.

Hamsterkill
03-15-2010, 12:37 PM
They traded him:\
Yeah, this would have been the perfect situation for Barker to step up.

chicagohockey
03-15-2010, 12:57 PM
As far Hammer goes I think he is a better defenseman than Campbell, but not as good as getting the puck through on net or flying up the ice. He's pretty quick so if you had to pair him up with a slower defensder (Sopel or Boyton) I think he could cover some mistakes.

If you want me to say they won't miss Campbell it will be bullshit. But I think they might be able to get by for a month and a half without him. If he can get back on the low end of the estimated time (6 weeks) he might be able to make it back for the last two rounds of the playoffs.

They really don't have anyone to call up after Boyton / Hendry either (Cullimore is in the AHL, but god i hate Cullimore).

Keith / Seabrook
Hammer / Sopel
Hendry / Boyton / Johnsson

Kyle
03-15-2010, 01:02 PM
Despite this being Ovechkin's third game misconduct this season, he will not be suspended because the penalties were not assessed for the same infraction. His last game misconduct was handed out for a knee-on-knee hit on Tim Gleason (http://tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/?name=tim+gleason) of the Carolina Hurricanes.

Wow. Just fucking WOW.

Ok Ovy, next go ahead and swing a stick at someones head. You've never been penalized for that, you won't be suspended. Oh, and next take a skate off and slash a goalie's neck with it, that'll make the goal scoring race easy to win and you've never been penalized for it so you won't be suspended.

God, the NHL is so fucking horrible at disguising its protection for star players. Just do whatever the fuck you want Ovy.

two24four
03-15-2010, 01:18 PM
I just read that CHI has put Nick Boynton on re-entry waivers today hoping he clears so they can bring him up.

jokah03
03-15-2010, 01:40 PM
Ugh..I hate the NHL..they're so retarded. So you don't suspend Richards, Cooke or Ovy for what they did..all three hits had people out for an extended period of time/season..it's a joke.

This is going to be tough, I know we added depth but it isn't very good depth. We basically now have 1 defenseman that can put points up on the board, and then Seabrook and Johnsson occasionally can.

phaneuf6
03-15-2010, 02:45 PM
"I respect everybody," Ovechkin said after Sunday's game. "We respect everybody here in the locker room and outside, but over there [on the ice], we play for our team, and we make some hard hits, and sometimes, you get hurt. That's a hockey game."

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=314125

chicagohockey
03-15-2010, 03:02 PM
I hope Philly finishes 8th, or they play Washington in the 2nd round. Than I hope Pronger can do the same thing to him that Ovechkin has done to other players and not get a suspension. And, if he does I hope the NHLPA call's a huge fowl on this.

I would almost support another strike to oust the big wigs of the NHL.

two24four
03-15-2010, 03:15 PM
The NHL is going over it again from the sounds of it, he still might get a few games.

chicagohockey
03-15-2010, 03:42 PM
2 games : /

phaneuf6
03-15-2010, 03:47 PM
Better than none at all. Plus now he has a basis for longer suspensions due to a past history.

chicagohockey
03-15-2010, 03:55 PM
Better than none at all. Plus now he has a basis for longer suspensions due to a past history.

That i do like. They should take away points in the standings for every game a player gets suspended. That will make you think twice :).

Imagine if the Rangers miss the playoffs by a point because Avery did / said something stupid. Your own locker room would be beating your ass on the ice. This coudl also weed out some goons because no one would want them.

MrScientist
03-15-2010, 04:05 PM
That i do like. They should take away points in the standings for every game a player gets suspended. That will make you think twice :).

Imagine if the Rangers miss the playoffs by a point because Avery did / said something stupid. Your own locker room would be beating your ass on the ice. This coudl also weed out some goons because no one would want them.

Suspensions are subjective in nature though, you really want people to think the league is biased even more ?

Chilly_Willy
03-15-2010, 04:25 PM
Yeah I like the points idea but in reality I just don't see it working but in concept its beautiful.

In some ways suspending A.O. does potentially take points from the team. Maybe they should freeze his suspention until the playoffs. Let's see how he likes sitting the first 2 home playoff games.

chicagohockey
03-16-2010, 10:11 AM
LaLonde was jsut called up to Rockford. I wonder if they will give him a chacne to see if we can fill the Campbell shoes with Hammer.

Home and Home vs Columbust anyone?

dw13
03-17-2010, 10:56 PM
YouTube- Brent Seabrook nails Corey Perry and James Wisnieski KOs Seabrook

Eeek.

Kyle
03-18-2010, 12:39 AM
"Was he selling it" Wow, fucking all time dope of the year, you retard, are you serious?

That was two nasty hits. Really dirty but the retaliation was definitely worse than the initial hit. But both were fucked up.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-18-2010, 01:05 AM
Wow.

Just...

Wow.

jokah03
03-18-2010, 02:29 AM
As the NHL keeps sticking their thumbs up their ass, more and more players are taking runs and it's costing teams. This is a joke..if I wasn't a fan of the NHL and saw this happen, who the hell would watch this shit every night when that's what they see every night on sportscenter..joke NHL, joke.

Dubz
03-18-2010, 03:17 AM
As the NHL keeps sticking their thumbs up their ass, more and more players are taking runs and it's costing teams. This is a joke..if I wasn't a fan of the NHL and saw this happen, who the hell would watch this shit every night when that's what they see every night on sportscenter..joke NHL, joke.

Good thing Perry and Seabrook are OK

The rules are changing

chicagohockey
03-18-2010, 07:41 AM
Good thing Perry and Seabrook are OK

The rules are changing

I'm pretty sure going 60 feet out of positions, while charging a guy, leaving your feet, hands up in the other guys face, stick straight up in the air while making a hit, and having absolutely no intention of even trying to play the puck or seperate the guy from the puck is already illegal.

There was so many things wrong with this hit, it's not even funny. Throw in the fact that he had to know what he was doing long before he did it and I don't see how this isn't a big suspension, regarless of past incidents or not.

But, knowing the NHL exec's he will probably just get fined. It would not suprise me to see more bad hits as retaliation hits with their history of letting people off the hook easy.

Dubz
03-18-2010, 11:54 AM
I'm pretty sure going 60 feet out of positions, while charging a guy, leaving your feet, hands up in the other guys face, stick straight up in the air while making a hit, and having absolutely no intention of even trying to play the puck or seperate the guy from the puck is already illegal.

There was so many things wrong with this hit, it's not even funny. Throw in the fact that he had to know what he was doing long before he did it and I don't see how this isn't a big suspension, regarless of past incidents or not.

But, knowing the NHL exec's he will probably just get fined. It would not suprise me to see more bad hits as retaliation hits with their history of letting people off the hook easy.

Anaheim - charging - 2 min2:22, J. Wisniewski

Cornholio
03-18-2010, 12:17 PM
"Was he selling it" Wow, fucking all time dope of the year, you retard, are you serious?
I'd like to see that guy taking a hit like that...:wtf:

chicagohockey
03-18-2010, 01:36 PM
Anaheim - charging - 2 min2:22, J. Wisniewski

My point was they really don't need a rule change to give him a lot more than just charging.

chgorman
03-18-2010, 02:49 PM
I figure they could've called at least 7 different penalties on that play (although some may crossover a bit) - charging, boarding, elbowing, roughing, interference, intent to injure, leaving his feet, unsportsmanlike, headshot... could probably come up with a few more.

Kyle
03-18-2010, 03:49 PM

And you have no problem with Seabrook's hit?:rolleyes:

chicagohockey
03-18-2010, 03:54 PM
And you have no problem with Seabrook's hit?:rolleyes:

I am not going to say the Seabrook hit was clean. Perry got rid of the puck a second or two before he go there as well. But would you consider the two even in the same ball park?

Kyle
03-18-2010, 03:55 PM
No, but on the flipside I'm never surprised when a very dirty hit gets retaliated with an even dirtier hit (see: Bertuzzi). Ultimately if Seabrook doesn't cheapshot Perry's head into the boards, he doesn't ever have to deal with a hit that play. I just have trouble attacking one more than the other when Seabrook was just getting dealt karma. Both players deserve a little break IMO.

But man, theres good proof that Perry is a little punk fucker that even Seabrook would throw a dirty hit to slam his bitch head into the boards.

chicagohockey
03-18-2010, 04:00 PM
No, but on the flipside I'm never surprised when a very dirty hit gets retaliated with an even dirtier hit (see: Bertuzzi). Ultimately if Seabrook doesn't cheapshot Perry's head into the boards, he doesn't ever have to deal with a hit that play. I just have trouble attacking one more than the other when Seabrook was just getting dealt karma. Both players deserve a little break IMO.

I am honestly ok with the league suspending both of them. I would rather get this all sorted out before the playoffs. I would hate to see teams lose one of their big pieces to the puzzle and a playoff series turn into a goon fest. I love the physical play, but this is getting rediculous.

You have to think if the legaue does not start suspending both sides it could become one of those players will govern themselves type of scenarios. Especially against teams tht play 6 times a year.

Kyle
03-18-2010, 04:02 PM
Yeah for sure, that was the dirtiest minute of hockey we've seen all year. Really alarming.

Dubz
03-18-2010, 04:08 PM
If they called the headshot/headhunt/blinside/intent to injury/leaving the feet/elbow etc.... penalty on Seabrook there would have been less retaliation...i think.

The Wis hit was a major penalty imo but im not the ref. I doubt/unsure they get games...although they might because this is a "hot topic" but as chicagohockey said fines are imminent.

boredguy
03-18-2010, 04:41 PM
I'd definitely suspend them both, my guess though is the NHL gives Wisnewski a $1000 fine and awards Perry the Lady Byng.

Kyle
03-18-2010, 05:02 PM
I'd definitely suspend them both, my guess though is the NHL gives Wisnewski a $1000 fine and awards Perry the Lady Byng.

:lol::lol:

Cornholio
03-18-2010, 05:50 PM
8 games suspension for WIsnewski
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=521875

Kyle
03-18-2010, 05:51 PM
Wow. 8 games for Wisniewski, 0 for Seabrook.

I don't think its right that Seabrook's hit isn't punished but ultimately Wisniewski's was much worse and they had to make a point about retaliation.

Cornholio
03-18-2010, 05:55 PM
There's no commensurability (hope it's the right word) if you take a look at last days / weeks of action...

chicagohockey
03-18-2010, 07:25 PM
The sad part is if the refs were doing there job and called the first hit on Seabrook. He would have been in the box and we most likely would not be having this discussion. Unless Wis is really that dumb and would have done the same thing at a later shift.

Kyle
03-18-2010, 07:37 PM
The sad part is if the refs were doing there job and called the first hit on Seabrook. He would have been in the box and we most likely would not be having this discussion. Unless Wis is really that dumb and would have done the same thing at a later shift.

Definitely not. At least not that blatant. That was the worst it could possibly be, only 10 seconds after Perry hit the ice, you can't be any more mad than that. By the time Wis would've had a chance to do anything 2-3 minutes later I think he would've had a way more level head. Refs fucked up.

dw13
03-18-2010, 07:54 PM
He got 8 games for the hit.

Kyle
03-18-2010, 08:09 PM
He got 8 games for the hit.

Thats so 2 hours ago;)

Dubz
03-18-2010, 09:39 PM
Example guy = Wis

We (im sure most of you are included) expected the shit to hit the fan sooner than later. I was unaware that Wis was a repeat....he deserves it. Tad excessive? Yep imo, but im not surprised.

chicagohockey
03-19-2010, 07:29 AM
I was glad to see the game go the way it did yesterday. It's good to show you cna plug in pieces and play a full 60 minutes of control the puck hockey like they were doing early in the season.

Wish the offesne was a bit better, but Quick played very well. It's good to see we can wear out a goalie given a whole game.

phaneuf6
03-19-2010, 05:30 PM
Example guy = Wis

We (im sure most of you are included) expected the shit to hit the fan sooner than later. I was unaware that Wis was a repeat....he deserves it. Tad excessive? Yep imo, but im not surprised.

I thought you were talking about WisPete. :lol:

Dubz
03-19-2010, 07:26 PM
I thought you were talking about WisPete. :lol:

We'll make an example out of him yet:lol:

Kyle
03-21-2010, 01:19 AM
Wow, WTF hawks!

chicagohockey
03-23-2010, 10:18 PM
Niemi looked good tonight. Downright impressive at some points keeping the puck out of the net while on his back / belly

jokah03
03-24-2010, 05:26 PM
Yea he looked really good..so what are you calling CH..Huet, Niemi or split time down the stretch/playoffs?

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-25-2010, 07:57 PM
fucking bums ! ! !

chicagohockey
03-26-2010, 03:40 PM
Yea he looked really good..so what are you calling CH..Huet, Niemi or split time down the stretch/playoffs?

I hate to say it, but i think they are splitting time down the stretch still. I don't think all of those goals were Huet's fault, but could you stand on your hit just at least once FFS. I would like a dedicated # 1 going into the playoffs. But on the flip side at least it gives other teams more to study for the first round (although the way the goalies arep laying not like they need to study ahrd on them).

What I would like to see is Niemi get 6 of the next 8 games. Let Huet play on the B2B nights. If Niemi looks poor for a good percentage of them Huet would get the St. Louis game on 4/7 and the Det game to shake some rust off before the playoffs.

Chilly_Willy
03-30-2010, 08:10 PM
pretty bad painting lol
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Blackhawks-fans-snort-in-disgust-at-Toews-pig-no?urn=nhl,231193

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-30-2010, 09:08 PM
First the Hawks are going to tank my fantasy team via goaltending... and then they won't be going anywhere in their own playoff run. Just sayin. :rolleyes:

chicagohockey
04-03-2010, 07:37 PM
First the Hawks are going to tank my fantasy team via goaltending... and then they won't be going anywhere in their own playoff run. Just sayin. :rolleyes:

I guess that means the number 1 and 2 seed will be out in the West in the first round :p.

MrScientist
04-05-2010, 07:32 PM
I guess that means the number 1 and 2 seed will be out in the West in the first round :p.

I'd love to see Detroit slip back down to #7 so we have our crack at you right away :beer:

chicagohockey
04-05-2010, 09:20 PM
I'd rather play Det in the first round and get it over with. They are playing better than anyone else, and if get through them it should be easier from there.

jokah03
04-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Best case scenario for me is:

SJS/NSH
CHI/COL
VAN/DET
PHO/LA

I'd love to get one of Van/Det out of the playoffs in the first round, and Nashville always plays tough in the playoffs and can wear teams down.

chicagohockey
04-05-2010, 09:43 PM
Best case scenario for me is:

SJS/NSH
CHI/COL
VAN/DET
PHO/LA

I'd love to get one of Van/Det out of the playoffs in the first round, and Nashville always plays tough in the playoffs and can wear teams down.

That is best case.

That way if Det wins they can beat up on / get beat up by SJ in the 2nd round, while we get LA or PHX.

jokah03
04-05-2010, 11:00 PM
Yea, that would be 100% best case..then we wouldn't have to play SJ or DET until the WCF..where I think we'll win this time. I don't want to face Detroit or Vancouver before the WCF though..that is just a super tough matchup. Phoenix will be a tough out too, but we'll see how they play in the playoffs.

chicagohockey
04-07-2010, 11:41 AM
So if youíre the Hawks in 2nd place and itís the last game of the year vs the Red Wings. The Wings are in 7th and 1 point behind L.A. in the standings for 6th. Do you tank to play L.A. in the first round?

two24four
04-07-2010, 11:42 AM
So if you’re the Hawks in 2nd place and it’s the last game of the year vs the Red Wings. The Wings are in 7th and 1 point behind L.A. in the standings for 6th. Do you tank to play L.A. in the first round?

Never tank, it will come back to kick you in the ass.

chicagohockey
04-07-2010, 11:46 AM
Never tank, it will come back to kick you in the ass.

It usually does, but from coaching perspective, let's say we don't tank. But Kane, Hossa, Keith, Toews are all given the day off.

Obviously as long as we are right behind S.J. this won't happen, but if we can't move up you have to wonder.