PDA

View Full Version : Official Montreal Canadiens Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

alias
10-15-2008, 04:35 PM
I can't believe this thread hasn't been created before! On the day of their home opener for their Centennial seaon, I thought it fitting to create it today.

Notes for todays game: It's confirmed, Laraque will be in the line-up with Begin sitting out. Not confirmed, Higgins should be back tonight, I figure Dandy rides the pine. If so, we finally we get to see the full line-up the way Gainey & Carbo planned. :hyper:

nyihater4life
10-15-2008, 04:58 PM
It hasnt been made because we dont want the cluster of threads which is why we have division threads.

b_illin
10-15-2008, 05:31 PM
I'm only posting in the unofficial Habs thread from now on!

phaneuf6
10-15-2008, 06:46 PM
It hasnt been made because we dont want the cluster of threads which is why we have division threads.

Except we have whole threads for Canadian teams because we actually have fans :D:p

Anyways, the Habs are looking damn good to start the year, no chance anybody comes close to that PP from what I've seen so far. Conference champs I think.

dw13
10-15-2008, 06:51 PM
Laraque fighting less than 3 minutes into the game.

alias
10-15-2008, 07:21 PM

Cuz the NHL discussion thread is SO cluttered :rolleyes:

I'm only posting in the unofficial Habs thread from now on!

promise? ;)

alias
10-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Pre-game celebration was pretty cool.

PP, even strength, short handed....we can do it all! Looking damn good! Kostopolous is playing very well, I love this guy, 6 blocked shots in the 1st! And O'Byrne has played well defensively too, nevermind crushing Axelsson I think it was.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
10-15-2008, 07:41 PM
Cuz the NHL discussion thread is SO cluttered :rolleyes:

promise? ;)

actually, we had this discussion last year and many of us opted to change our team threads to divisional threads. There is ongoing discussion in the site feedback forum about this issue right now. Many members seem to prefer the divisional threads over a bunch of team specific threads, myself included.

nyihater4life
10-15-2008, 08:04 PM
you were saying alias?

alias
10-15-2008, 09:03 PM
you were saying alias?

I was saying the NHL discussion board isn't cluttered which was your complaint. Last thread on this board is from 9 days ago. Last thread on the fantasy board is from 7 hours ago. But thanks for being a douche. At least sponge can make a specific reference.

If the reasoning for divisional threads is for "clutter" i disagree based on my point above. Clutter to me is useless threads that hit the same points that other previously existing threads hit. Also, there are many Habs fans that frequent this forum, not like we'll be seeing Coyotes threads, or Panthers threads anytime soon. I'm sure people would be pretty bummed if the Wings thread or the Leafs thread got deleted. If it gets used how can it be considered clutter?

alias
10-15-2008, 09:22 PM
and price stones ryder in the shootout to seal the win!

moans
10-15-2008, 09:26 PM
those were three pretty weak attempts by the Bruins. HArd luck on that third goal, the puck shouldn't bounce like that.

Kaboominator
10-15-2008, 09:52 PM
lol, no way could we have the Habs/Bruins/Leafs in the same thread. It would blow up!:D I'm sure no one wants to talk about Vladimir Sobotka or very team specific issues. Be cool if we had sub forums by division. I'm sure they would get used.

alias
10-15-2008, 10:17 PM
lol, no way could we have the Habs/Bruins/Leafs in the same thread. It would blow up!:D I'm sure no one wants to talk about Vladimir Sobotka or very team specific issues. Be cool if we had sub forums by division. I'm sure they would get used.

don't forget about the sens too! sens-leafs & sens-habs rivalries are fierce!

Kaboominator
10-16-2008, 08:34 AM
I didn't forget about them but i think there is only like 1 sens fan on here and i think he is MIA. Hawkeye??

two24four
10-16-2008, 09:56 AM
I didn't forget about them but i think there is only like 1 sens fan on here and i think he is MIA. Hawkeye??

He's around from time to time.

two24four
10-16-2008, 10:09 AM
Do MTL fans boo at least one player from every team now now or what, I watched there pre-season game vs DET they booed Hossa everytime he had the puck, last night vs BOS they booed Chara, Ryder and Thornton everytime they had the puck, I can see kind of of why they would boo Ryder, but do you really need to boo three diff guys in one game.

alias
10-16-2008, 11:13 AM
Do MTL fans boo at least one player from every team now now or what, I watched there pre-season game vs DET they booed Hossa everytime he had the puck, last night vs BOS they booed Chara, Ryder and Thornton everytime they had the puck, I can see kind of of why they would boo Ryder, but do you really need to boo three diff guys in one game.

I'm kind of upset they boo'ed Ryder. The guy was the leading goal scorer for 2 years, and just because he didn't mesh well with Carbo he rode the pine a lot. Then another team offers him a ton of cash, and a chance to play for his fav coach....anybody would go in that situation. They always boo Chara from his Ottawa days. No idea why Hossa was boo'ed. Those Habs fans are touchy.

two24four
10-16-2008, 11:41 AM
I'm kind of upset they boo'ed Ryder. The guy was the leading goal scorer for 2 years, and just because he didn't mesh well with Carbo he rode the pine a lot. Then another team offers him a ton of cash, and a chance to play for his fav coach....anybody would go in that situation. They always boo Chara from his Ottawa days. No idea why Hossa was boo'ed. Those Habs fans are touchy.

Yeah seems over bit over the top, dont they also boo Danny Briere as well for not signing there last season?

Wonder if they will boo Souray as well when he's in MTL this season.

alias
10-17-2008, 12:03 AM
Anybody else believe this gabby to Mtl rumour? Higgins going the other way is the word, (which makes the most sense for him, if he has chemistry with Saku why not Mikko?) but we'd have to clear up ~4mil in cap space to fit him and Higgins is only 1.7. Only way I can see this happening is if we give Higgins(1.7), Begin(1.0)/Dandy(1.7), Brisebois(1.5), and maybe a pick for Gabby. A second line (or line 1b) of Tanguay-Koivu-Gabby is better than at least half of the 1st lines in the league. It doesn't screw around much with team chemistry at all. Begin was the odd man out anyways once Higgins returns, Dandy is now, and Brisebois is the 7th defenseman and is only playing since Bouillion is out. But does that deal even make sense for Minny, and can they get any better from another team?

two24four
10-17-2008, 12:09 AM
If it's Gabby for Higgins, maybe something like Gabby for Higgins a draft pick, plus a prospect.

Minny wont want players like Begin Dandy or Brisebois I dont think.

I think Minny will be looking for more then just a one for one deal, they will want to stock up abit with picks and prospects on top of Higgins.

fuji9991
10-17-2008, 01:28 AM
Anybody else believe this gabby to Mtl rumour? Higgins going the other way is the word, (which makes the most sense for him, if he has chemistry with Saku why not Mikko?) but we'd have to clear up ~4mil in cap space to fit him and Higgins is only 1.7. Only way I can see this happening is if we give Higgins(1.7), Begin(1.0)/Dandy(1.7), Brisebois(1.5), and maybe a pick for Gabby. A second line (or line 1b) of Tanguay-Koivu-Gabby is better than at least half of the 1st lines in the league. It doesn't screw around much with team chemistry at all. Begin was the odd man out anyways once Higgins returns, Dandy is now, and Brisebois is the 7th defenseman and is only playing since Bouillion is out. But does that deal even make sense for Minny, and can they get any better from another team?

Its definitely mysterious that Gabby and Higgins are both out with groin injuries? Hmm... :)

alias
10-17-2008, 10:17 AM
If it's Gabby for Higgins, maybe something like Gabby for Higgins a draft pick, plus a prospect.

Minny wont want players like Begin Dandy or Brisebois I dont think.

I think Minny will be looking for more then just a one for one deal, they will want to stock up abit with picks and prospects on top of Higgins.

Problem with a 1 for 1 deal with Mtl is the cap space. They have 2.5 mil in space and Gabby is a 6.3 mil cap hit. If HIggins goes thats 1.7 mil so they still would have to clear over 2 mil

canuckthug
10-17-2008, 11:41 AM
you think gabby is coming to the habs...??

is this a rumour.. a dream..
whats going on here?? i dont have cable, satellite.. i dont have internet access at home.

alias
10-17-2008, 11:54 AM
you think gabby is coming to the habs...??

is this a rumour.. a dream..
whats going on here?? i dont have cable, satellite.. i dont have internet access at home.

Rumour has it he wants to go to an offensive minded team, in the east with a shot at the Cup. Pittsburgh, Montreal and Vancouver have been the most talked about, but Vancouver seems unlikely since they are in the same division and I doubt Minnesota would deal a superstar to a divisional foe and reunite him with Demitra. Pittburgh may not have enough depth players to give since they lost a few to Atlanta in the Hossa deal, but Staal has been rumoured going to MIN in that deal. Not sure if Pitt would give him up. Boston has been rumoured as well since they made an attempt at Hossa this off-season. Grabbing Gabby would make a good 1-2 punch in their line-up. Really, its all just rumours, and IMO he could go to any of the east teams I mentioned above.

two24four
10-17-2008, 12:08 PM
The Rumour I hear the most is when he becomes a UFA after this season he will sign in VAN to play with Demitra again, so if he is traded he would prob just be there for this season who ever gets him.

chgorman
10-17-2008, 12:08 PM

No way Minny goes for that deal. I agree with 24 - they have no use for Begin, Dandy or Breeze-by. As 24 said, I'd imagine Minny would be looking more along the lines of Higgins, a solid prospect and a pick, but as you mentioned, that won't help MTL with the cap if Higgins is the only salary they get rid of. I'd chalk this up to a pipe dream for now.

fuji9991
10-17-2008, 12:20 PM
I could see Pittsberg being Cautious. After Hossa basically turned his back on the team to they want to give up prospects for another UFC supperstar at the end of the year. Especailly one that only plays 40-60 games a year. I think they stay put with Dupuis, Satan, Stall and Sykora filling that scoring winger roll.

two24four
10-17-2008, 12:23 PM
I could see Pittsberg being Cautious. After Hossa basically turned his back on the team to they want to give up prospects for another UFC supperstar at the end of the year. Especailly one that only plays 40-60 games a year. I think they stay put with Dupuis, Satan, Stall and Sykora filling that scoring winger roll.

Who's coming from the UFC, Rampage? Chuck? Lesner? :lol::lol:

Dubz
10-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Who's coming from the UFC, Rampage? Chuck? Lesner? :lol::lol:

No it would have to be a guy like GSP or AS:D

I think he meant UFA

fuji9991
10-17-2008, 01:05 PM
got MMA on the mind :) UFA indeed

alias
10-18-2008, 07:57 PM
the nice thing about having depth....

"Line 2"....the Koivu line has stepped up big time. The Kovy line has been slow out of the gate, and now with AK46 out for who knows how long it's nice to have Koivu's line playing so well. Last year if AK46 is out, it's very tough to make up ground. Great opportunity for Max Pac here as he definitely gets the call and will play with Pleks & Kovy IMO. He's only effective as a top 6 forward. Line 3 or 4 is no good for him and that line is perfect for him. Maybe it'll get Kovalev going (as if 3 points in 4 2/3 games isn't enough lol)

phaneuf6
10-18-2008, 09:40 PM
So Kostitsyn got ROCKED.

Hawkeye
10-18-2008, 10:17 PM
So Kostitsyn got ROCKED.

Guess you had it coming when you admire a pass THAT much...

His face looked messed up...

phaneuf6
10-19-2008, 09:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB7y_nGkVVU

phaneuf6
10-19-2008, 10:01 AM
PS: Andrei has terrible hair.

gagne21
10-19-2008, 10:27 AM
OWNED!

nyrblue2
10-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Announcer - "Can we get that shown at full speed?"

...replay shown at half-speed....

Announcer - "...That's still slow..."

:lol:

HABS_FrEaK
10-19-2008, 07:27 PM
http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/261919.html

It's in french but basically it says that he's ok, recovering quickly and will probably only miss monday's game. That is GREAT news I was really scared it would be more serious.

Anyways, I was at the game last night, 8 rows from the ice on the blue line! By FAR the best seats I've ever had! I'm usually 8 rows from the top lol. Cost me 150$ but it was well worth it! I never realized how amazing it would be to be so close to the action.

Anyways Laracque is the fucking man! I was always against the whole goon thing and I didn't think it was necessary but WOW did he make a difference last night. After the hit the fans were chanting his name and every time he would hit the ice people would go nuts. After seing the habs being pushed around a bit last year it felt great to have a guy like him in the line up. Other players were so scared of him when he got on the ice. I remember one specific play where a Coyotes player got the puck along the boards and BGL started sating towards him to lay a hit on him and the crowd just started chearing before he even hit him and the coyotes player basically just gave it away as fast as possible and ran away lol.

Anyways it was a great game. Can't help but get pumped up about this team
________
Toyota motor manufacturing canada history (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_Motor_Manufacturing_Canada)

CayugaPosse
10-19-2008, 11:20 PM
I've always had a weird feeling towards "goons", I hate most of them, because alot of the time they have next to no moral compass. Laraque is a real standup guy though, who didn't force Sauer into the fight like alot of people would have. He did it the way, if I have to see an enforcer out there just to fight, I want to see him handle it.

And ya, I'm real glad he's on our side, because I'll tell you something. The entire NHL should be scared to death after last night. Everyone knows Montreal is one of the top 5 teams in the NHL this year, easily. And they may be THE most impressive so far in the young season.

But, the knock on them was always going to be toughness and being able to handle physicality...

Wow, did they shoot that down in a hurry last night. They not only beat Phoenix down on the scoreboard, but they beat them down physically too after Kostitsyn left, and really sent a message that they're not going to be bullied this year.

Amazing new Kostitsyn is alright, this was, as a Habs fan, one of my favourite games to watch in a long time. Montreal scores 2 goals. Carey Price has that unreal save with Bob Cole's amazing call : "Shane Doan with the chance! NO! WHY NOT? It's impossible to beleive that the goaltender could move that fast, but Price did!"

Then obviously the hit on Kostitsyn, his brother running right at the guy that did it next shift. Kostopolous fighting Sauer because he's too big a pussy to fight Laraque. Laraque getting into a fight. The high stick to Kovalev that didn't get called was epic though. After Kovalev leaves the ice labouring, the ENTIRE Bell Center chanting Laraque's name was fucking cool as hell. And the reaction when he came out was epic.

I LOVE the look of the Habs this year...wow. As complete a team as there is in the young season.

alias
10-20-2008, 07:45 PM
Koivu with point # 600! Mats Naslund only 12 points away and Elmer Lach only 23! #10 on the all-time Habs list is easily within reach

alias
10-22-2008, 08:25 PM
after thinking about it (& watching the FLA/OTT game) eff Gaborik....Montreal needs to grab Bouwmeester. That would be an insane top 4 D.... Markov, Hamrlik, Komisarek, Bouwmester. Then 2 of Bouillon, O'Byrne, Gorges....damn. Plus it'd be easier to work his contract under the cap than Gaborik's.

alias
10-23-2008, 04:05 PM
are the Canadiens a religion?

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=901528

two24four
10-23-2008, 04:07 PM
Hockey alone is a religion, sports for that matter IMO.

alias
10-23-2008, 04:35 PM
Hockey alone is a religion, sports for that matter IMO.

True but not many other teams have religious nicknames attached to their players....saint patrick, jesus price, blond devil (LaFleur), nor are their jerseys known as the Holy Flannel. I'm surprised the article didn't compare the Stanley Cup to the Holy Grail....

Frank
10-23-2008, 08:54 PM
Any news on when Carle might be returning?

alias
10-23-2008, 09:45 PM
Any news on when Carle might be returning?

Haven't heard anything but I doubt he sees any time with the Canadiens, they're just too deep. He'll be with the 'dogs this year.

alias
10-27-2008, 11:34 PM
So thats why Kovalev is struggling out of the gate this year....he cut his hair again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-JPMFuHu6w

CayugaPosse
10-28-2008, 07:01 AM
after thinking about it (& watching the FLA/OTT game) eff Gaborik....Montreal needs to grab Bouwmeester. That would be an insane top 4 D.... Markov, Hamrlik, Komisarek, Bouwmester. Then 2 of Bouillon, O'Byrne, Gorges....damn. Plus it'd be easier to work his contract under the cap than Gaborik's.

Montreal is going to push so hard after Gabby it'll scare you. Trust me, I wouldn't want to bet against Marian Gaborik wearing Habs colours by the deadline. He's a proven playoff scorer and a beast that can replace Kovalev if they choose to let Kovy walk at the end of this year.

And every game Mikko Koivu continues to progress, Minnesota's going to be more and more willing to look at moving Gabby.

alias
10-28-2008, 03:08 PM
Montreal is going to push so hard after Gabby it'll scare you. Trust me, I wouldn't want to bet against Marian Gaborik wearing Habs colours by the deadline. He's a proven playoff scorer and a beast that can replace Kovalev if they choose to let Kovy walk at the end of this year.

And every game Mikko Koivu continues to progress, Minnesota's going to be more and more willing to look at moving Gabby.

no way. gainey isn't like that. he won't beg and plead for a player to come. Gabby wants 10 mil. First off, how is Gainey fitting his 6.3 mil cap hit this year, then what happens next year? Gabby at 10 mil, Markov/Hamrlik at 11 mil, then the UFA's...Tanguay at 5.3, Kovy at 4.5, Koivu at 4.7, at least 1 more likely 2 of them will have to go. Say goodbye to Lang too. I'm sure Gainey would like to keep Komisarek & Bouillion who are due for raises as well, especially Komisarek. RFA's like Plekanec at 1.9 & Higgins at 1.8 are due for raises. If you sign Gabby at 10 mil those other guys will want more than they would have gotten without Gabby being signed. Also, why mess with team chemistry with a guy who is a constant injury concern. The true need is a solid #4 D-man. We're giving up a ton of shots right now.

Oh and Gainey has publically said he never had interest in Gaborik, and he's not the type of guy to come out and say something like that if it isn't true.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl081024.html

HABS_FrEaK
10-28-2008, 09:05 PM
no way. gainey isn't like that. he won't beg and plead for a player to come. Gabby wants 10 mil. First off, how is Gainey fitting his 6.3 mil cap hit this year, then what happens next year? Gabby at 10 mil, Markov/Hamrlik at 11 mil, then the UFA's...Tanguay at 5.3, Kovy at 4.5, Koivu at 4.7, at least 1 more likely 2 of them will have to go. Say goodbye to Lang too. I'm sure Gainey would like to keep Komisarek & Bouillion who are due for raises as well, especially Komisarek. RFA's like Plekanec at 1.9 & Higgins at 1.8 are due for raises. If you sign Gabby at 10 mil those other guys will want more than they would have gotten without Gabby being signed. Also, why mess with team chemistry with a guy who is a constant injury concern. The true need is a solid #4 D-man. We're giving up a ton of shots right now.

Oh and Gainey has publically said he never had interest in Gaborik, and he's not the type of guy to come out and say something like that if it isn't true.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl081024.html

100% agree. Also if we trade for him and then sign him at a multi year contract before the year ends then you basically telling Kovalev this is his last year which could mean a disapearing act by him
________
HONDA AIRCRAFT COMPANY (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_Aircraft_Company)

two24four
10-29-2008, 12:21 PM
They got talking about this last night on The Score, they pretty much said there is no way Gabby is going to the Habs, they said Gainey does not want him at all, and that Minny already called him and Gainey said no thank you.

Plus, why would you want someone who odds are will miss some games, Habs could trade for him, then boom, he's out, no playoffs for Gabby cause he pulled his pussy again, I mean groin.

CayugaPosse
10-29-2008, 12:41 PM
They got talking about this last night on The Score, they pretty much said there is no way Gabby is going to the Habs, they said Gainey does not want him at all, and that Minny already called him and Gainey said no thank you.

Plus, why would you want someone who odds are will miss some games, Habs could trade for him, then boom, he's out, no playoffs for Gabby cause he pulled his pussy again, I mean groin.

Don't know where The Score, and everyone else got that idea.

All I've ever heard was Gainey contacted Minnesota a few times already.

I don't think Gainey has any interest in bringing him in and signing him. They can squeeze him into the cap for the rest of this year and then let him walk if he's going to be so unreasonable that he wants 10 mill / year.

Gainey's solitary focus right now is that grey Cup thingie Def Lepard sticks upside down and makes people bitch about. There is no doubt Marian Gaborik helps...health permitting.

two24four
10-29-2008, 12:44 PM

I don't think Gainey has any interest in bringing him in and signing him. They can squeeze him into the cap for the rest of this year and then let him walk if he's going to be so unreasonable that he wants 10 mill / year.

Gainey's solitary focus right now is that grey Cup thingie Def Lepard sticks upside down and makes people bitch about. There is no doubt Marian Gaborik helps...health permitting.

So you are saying what you hear is better then what guys who do this for a living and talk right to GM's them self's, these guys know what they are talking about for the most part.

phaneuf6
10-29-2008, 12:59 PM
So you are saying what you hear is better then what guys who do this for a living and talk right to GM's them self's, these guys know what they are talking about for the most part.

Call me crazy but somehow I don't think any GM has ruled out Marion Gaborik coming to their team. If the Habs can get him at a reasonable price then I'm sure they'll take it.

two24four
10-29-2008, 01:03 PM
Call me crazy but somehow I don't think any GM has ruled out Marion Gaborik coming to their team. If the Habs can get him at a reasonable price then I'm sure they'll take it.

I'm sure they will as well, I'm just telling you what I heard, they also said Minny is asking more then MTL is willing to give up.

phaneuf6
10-29-2008, 01:05 PM
I'm sure they will as well, I'm just telling you what I heard, they also said Minny is asking more then MTL is willing to give up.

That's probably his reasoning then. All the teams are going to look at what happened to Pittsburgh and Hossa last year and be a little more cautious with rental players.

two24four
10-29-2008, 01:07 PM
That's probably his reasoning then. All the teams are going to look at what happened to Pittsburgh and Hossa last year and be a little more cautious with rental players.

I agree, even more so with Gabby, if someone does trade for him odds are they will lose him July 1st to the Nucks.

Just for the record, I'm not saying the Habs wont get him, I'm just telling you what I heard last night, if they get him good for them, if he's healthy he will deff help them out.

alias
10-29-2008, 01:48 PM

They got that idea from Gainey! Again....

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl081024.html (http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl081024.html)

How do you know his calls were concerning Gaborik? Maybe he's targeting someone else. A 4th defenseman maybe. I know Minnesota wants McDonagh since he's a Minny native, but I doubt Gainey lets him go.

HABS_FrEaK
10-31-2008, 11:18 PM

You mean making it to the Cup Final??? I personally wouldn't mind that lol
________
HURT FROM ZOLOFT (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/zoloft/)

Dubz
11-01-2008, 08:33 PM
So thats why Kovalev is struggling out of the gate this year....he cut his hair again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-JPMFuHu6w

Must be growing back in nicely:cool:

alias
11-01-2008, 08:37 PM
first line is back with a vengence! combined 9 points, +11 and best of all Plekanec should have his confidence back!

Hockeyis#1
11-02-2008, 12:09 PM
Jesus....FOUR 3rd period goals to steal one from the Isles....

alias
11-08-2008, 11:30 PM
2 brutal games....brisebois is terrible, that guy really needs to go....now that they got those 2 ridiculously long breaks behind them, they really need to get their legs moving, the effort just isn't there :nono:

two24four
11-08-2008, 11:57 PM
Kostopoulos better get at least 5 games (if not more) for that hit on Van Ryn tonight, they just said on CBC that Van Ryn has a concussion, a broken nose, a broken hand and a borken finger all from that hit :rolleyes:

Dubz
11-09-2008, 12:04 AM
Kostopoulos better get at least 5 games (if not more) for that hit on Van Ryn tonight, they just said on CBC that Van Ryn has a concussion, a broken nose, a broken hand and a borken finger all from that hit :rolleyes:

I was thinking 3 when it happened....sucks that it was worse for VR than i hoped. If this guy has a track record he should get more. He absolutely knew what he was doing...If he had pulled up a bit (which he had all the time in the world to do) I could see him not even getting any suspension and VR being OK.

alias
11-09-2008, 12:47 AM

i agree that was a terrible hit, no excuse for that shit....also, the SK74 vs. Grabovski duel near the end of the game was interesting

alias
11-09-2008, 12:50 AM
I was thinking 3 when it happened....sucks that it was worse for VR than i hoped. If this guy has a track record he should get more.

As far as I know there's no track record....he's a very gritty player and is key on the PK....went too far tonight :(

Bure96
11-09-2008, 11:54 AM
As far as I know there's no track record....he's a very gritty player and is key on the PK....went too far tonight :(
The only thing I know of is the sucker punch on Timonen in the playoffs last year. I think Kostopoulos should still get at least 10 games. I think that hit was way more dangerous than the one Downie got 20 games for last season.

b_illin
11-09-2008, 12:14 PM
That Andrei Koststikyn (sp?) dirty move on Schenn was bullshit as well - pushing his skate out like that was fucking DIRTY!

CayugaPosse
11-09-2008, 12:22 PM
That Andrei Koststikyn (sp?) dirty move on Schenn was bullshit as well - pushing his skate out like that was fucking DIRTY!

Gimme a break. That was largely an accident, I sincerely doubt he meant to do that. You can have Kostopolous but let's not get silly here. Upon first few views of the play you couldn't even tell he touched him. I think Kostitsyn was just skating and had his stick down like all players do when "speed skating", and it just got tangled in Schenn's skate.

b_illin
11-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Gimme a break. That was largely an accident, I sincerely doubt he meant to do that. You can have Kostopolous but let's not get silly here. Upon first few views of the play you couldn't even tell he touched him. I think Kostitsyn was just skating and had his stick down like all players do when "speed skating", and it just got tangled in Schenn's skate.

BULLSHIT, I looked for a replay on youtube but couldn't find it....it was obvious he did that on purpose from the replays they showed last night. I am amazed you are arguing this! (assuming you saw all the replays)

(he pushed Schenn's skate from the inside and knew exactly what he was doing)

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Hockey/article/533588

Wilson said "it was even scarier" when Montreal's Andrei Kostitsyn tripped Leaf rookie Luke Schenn into the end boards. Schenn appeared injured for a few seconds, but returned to his feet and actually went after Kostitsyn in an ensuing scrum.

nyrblue2
11-09-2008, 12:57 PM
And your being 'b_illin' with TOR-coloured glasses on has nothing to do with your stance...

;)

Just messin, bill, I haven't even seen the play...

two24four
11-09-2008, 01:06 PM
Andrei knew what he was doing, they showed the replay a few times and you could see what he did, even Craig Simpson who is not a Leaf or Habs homer said he thinks SK74 knew what he was doing.

I do think it is time though to goto the no touch iceing like in Jr hockey.

It was like the Habs where out to hurt last night, the hit on Van Ryn was bullshit, Schenn almost breaking his foot, Hagman was hit from behide etc.... to bad they dont play again till JAN.

Now with saying all that about the Habs, I also dont agree with what Grabovski did to Price, butt ending him with his stick, that was also un-called for and like Cherry said after the game, there is no place for that in the game.

b_illin
11-09-2008, 01:13 PM
And your being 'b_illin' with TOR-coloured glasses on has nothing to do with your stance...

;)

Just messin, bill, I haven't even seen the play...

Yes, I realize this and thought about it, but that was pretty bloody obvious....you'll see if/when you see the replay (it is more obvious from one particular angle as well)

SK74 knew what he was doing, they showed the replay a few times and you could see what he did, even Craig Simpson who is not a Leaf or Habs homer said he thinks SK74 knew what he was doing.

I do think it is time though to goto the no touch iceing like in Jr hockey.

It was like the Habs where out to hurt last night, the hit on Van Ryn was bullshit, Schenn almost breaking his foot, Hagman was hit from behide etc.... to bad they dont play again till JAN.

Now with saying all that about the Habs, I also dont agree with what Grabovski did to Price, but ending him with his stick, that was also un-called for and like Cherry said after the game, there is no place for that in the game.

It was Andrei, not Sergei, but I agree with everything else. (SK74 nailed Grabovski at the end..nothing wrong with that hit other then the charge...and it was penalized, so no biggie)

PS: that Grabovski butt-end was dirty indeed

two24four
11-09-2008, 01:19 PM
It was Andrei, not Sergei, but I agree with everything else. (SK74 nailed Grabovski at the end..nothing wrong with that hit other then the charge...and it was penalized, so no biggie)

PS: that Grabovski butt-end was dirty indeed

Yeah, sorry my bad on that, I was even thinking Andrei when I typed that.

alias
11-09-2008, 02:24 PM
now, I'm not justifying anything, but both sides had their fair share of dirty plays. granted, nobody on montreal got seriously injured, but the Leafs are not completely innocent either. Price took the most of it, a butt-end from Grabovski, and he got run more than the 3 times the Leafs were called for it. As for the AK/Schenn play, thats tough to call. An embarrasing game by many. If anything this really intensifies the rivalry, the next game should be interesting.

phaneuf6
11-09-2008, 03:30 PM
now, I'm not justifying anything, but both sides had their fair share of dirty plays. granted, nobody on montreal got seriously injured, but the Leafs are not completely innocent either. Price took the most of it, a butt-end from Grabovski, and he got run more than the 3 times the Leafs were called for it. As for the AK/Schenn play, thats tough to call. An embarrasing game by many. If anything this really intensifies the rivalry, the next game should be interesting.

2 of those goaltender interference charges were garbage. Blake got bumped into the net, it was incidental contact if anything. No malicious intent there at all. Grabovski just got tangled up and Price sold all 3 calls.

two24four
11-09-2008, 04:09 PM
Guy Carbonneau said himself after the game last night that if Price cant take a few bumps in front of the net then he needs grow up and get use to it, cause it happens every single game in the NHL, that's his own coach saying that.

b_illin
11-09-2008, 04:20 PM
While we were crashing he net(ish), Price wasn't exactly trying his hardest to stay up...not saying he was diving, but perhaps embellishing a bit.

I have Leaf coloured shades on granted, but I thought the Van Ryn/Schenn hits were really dirty plays as was the Grabovski butt-end, the rest of the stuff in the game was alright by me.

alias
11-09-2008, 06:58 PM
Guy Carbonneau said himself after the game last night that if Price cant take a few bumps in front of the net then he needs grow up and get use to it, cause it happens every single game in the NHL, that's his own coach saying that.

That doesn't mean that he believes the Leafs were not crashing the net or taking liberties with Price. You think he was okay with all that? He was saying it happens to all goalies, especialy the good ones, so he better get used to it. Probably so he doesn't pull a Mike Smith. But thats like me saying to van ryn, "hits from behind happen a lot....get used to it." Saying that doesn't make it okay.

two24four
11-09-2008, 07:01 PM
That doesn't mean that he believes the Leafs were not crashing the net or taking liberties with Price. You think he was okay with all that? He was saying it happens to all goalies, especialy the good ones, so he better get used to it. Probably so he doesn't pull a Mike Smith. But thats like me saying to van ryn, "hits from behind happen a lot....get used to it." Saying that doesn't make it okay.

Carbonneau never said anything about the Leafs crashing the net, and like phaneuf6 said, most of the Leafs running into the Price last night where thanks to Habs players pushing them into him, like Blake was, Price was doing a pretty good job at selling alot of them as well.

alias
11-09-2008, 07:08 PM
Carbonneau never said anything about the Leafs crashing the net, and like phaneuf6 said, most of the Leafs running into the Price last night where thanks to Habs players pushing them into him, like Blake was, Price was doing a pretty good job at selling alot of them as well.

:wtf: Then what the hell was he talking about? The comment you made was directly from Carbonneau after he was asked about the goaltender interference going on all game. And if Price really "sold it" there should have been about 6 calls. There were plenty of times where a Leaf player could have avoided Price but didn't, hence the 3 penalties. I'd like to see you stand perfectly still while a 200lb player barrels into you, especially when you're in a butterfly or off your skates at all. Hasek sold it. Hrudey sold it. Hell, Luongo sells it. They are much more blatant about it too. If Price did sell it, it wasn't that obvious.

CayugaPosse
11-10-2008, 02:30 AM

I didn't hear Price whine about it after the game. Just keep in mind if you run him, he's the franchise and obviously the team is going to stand up for him.

Grabovski's butt end was slimy, but so was alot of the shit that went down. I will still argue(although I'm not going to persue arguing it) that AK was more of an accident than a legitimate attempt to trip. He never touched the inside of the skate as a side note, it was the outside of the skate blade. It looked, to me at least, and granted maybe I'm looking at it through the wrong glasses(although so are you), that he was trying to reach around Schenn with the stick and it ended up instead catching his blade. It was a penalty no doubt, I just don't think AK maliciously was trying to injure on that play. I'm really surprised people have more issue with that than they do with Markov's hit late. But then again, Schenn is the Leafs' fans boy so I guess because AK did it to him he's the villain in the story.

It was an ugly embarassing game made worse by Montreal's horrible play in it. No one should be proud.

nyrblue2
11-10-2008, 09:18 AM
Saw the Van Ryn hit last night for the first time. Certainly no attempt by Kostopolous to ease up, but Van Ryn sure didn't do himself any favors by stopping and turning a split second before contact...

2 games would be good...

alias
11-10-2008, 02:06 PM
now that i see the replay a bit more I can take a guess as to what Kostopolous was thinking, van ryn looked behind him and at the angle he was skating in it looks as if he's going to shoot the puck around the back of the net, which would leave his body sideways and in a good position for a hit, instead at the last second he tries to switch and backhand it to Colaiacovo, stopping 3 feet from the boards with his back towards Kostopolous. At the exact same time he switches his body position is when Kostopolous prepares himself to hit VanRyn. If Kostopolous' story is in line with this he won't get suspended very long, 3 games max if that since he has no prior history of these type of hits.

phaneuf6
11-10-2008, 02:11 PM
now that i see the replay a bit more I can take a guess as to what Kostopolous was thinking, van ryn looked behind him and at the angle he was skating in it looks as if he's going to shoot the puck around the back of the net, which would leave his body sideways and in a good position for a hit, instead at the last second he tries to switch and backhand it to Colaiacovo, stopping 3 feet from the boards with his back towards Kostopolous. At the exact same time he switches his body position is when Kostopolous prepares himself to hit VanRyn. If Kostopolous' story is in line with this he won't get suspended very long, 3 games max if that since he has no prior history of these type of hits.

I don't think they care what his 'story' is. He should've held up and he didn't. End of story.

alias
11-10-2008, 02:19 PM
I don't think they care what his 'story' is. He should've held up and he didn't. End of story.

my point was that by the time kostopolous realized he was going to backhand it instead of shoot around the back of the net there wasn't time. at least thats how it appears. like I said, when van ryn made the turn to go backhand kostopolous had already set up for the hit. he had his hands together and knees bent ready for impact when van ryn turned. watch it a few times and tell me if you see different. pause it at 4 seconds just as the camera angle switches, you'll see van ryn starting to stop and turn, and kostopolous is already in hitting mode. I'm clearly no NHL player but when you're skating full speed, hit the icing line in hit mode, I'd imagine there isn't much time to stop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNJ3X9tHqf0

don't be surprised if he doesn't get suspended more thana few games at most

NL_Habs
11-10-2008, 02:30 PM
it was unfortunate BUT I see why it happend... Kostopoulous was reading Van Ryn's direction as he was turning to go around the net. Instead, he stopped dead in his tracks to turn the other way about 3 feet out (no man's land). Being Mike Van Ryn and not brian campbell or bobby orr, his spin and turn was lackluster and he got rocked with his back to the player. Now, Kostopoulous is in the wrong because at the point of impact it was a hit from behind but I strongly believe that it was not his intentions and that van ryns piss poor change of direction is the reason he got tuned. Guys cant just hit the breaks like that by the boards. I certainly wouldnt be at it because you're asking to get hit. An attacking forward who is on your heels does not have time to read your mind and know you're going to stop 3 feet out. if you watch the replay van ryn tried to sell that he was going to skate around the net to left then last secound tried to stop and go right. you cant blame kostopulous for going for the hit because he was committed to the hit just as van ryn decided to turn the other way 3 feet out from the boards. if van ryn was smart he would have turned his shoulder to the player and took the hit.

just because a guy gets hit from behind doesn mean he's innocent. if me and you were skating and full speed for the puck and right before i get to the boards i decide to hit the breaks in front of you i should expect to get rocked.

chgorman
11-10-2008, 02:37 PM
Whoa, deja vu, I feel like I've read a few of the last couple posts somewhere else before ;):D

Hoo Hoo Howie
11-10-2008, 04:09 PM
Being Mike Van Ryn and not brian campbell or bobby orr, his spin and turn was lackluster and he got rocked with his back to the player.

OK, that made me laugh REALLY hard.

phaneuf6
11-10-2008, 04:55 PM
3 games.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=255442&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_main

sketchyt
11-10-2008, 07:00 PM
3 games.

Somewhere in Dallas, Sean Avery and Steve Ott chuckle at the small price they'll have to pay when they eventually end someone's career.

alias
11-10-2008, 08:14 PM
3 games.

IMO thats fair. afterall the end result was a hit from behind no matter who was perceived to be to blame.

Somewhere in Dallas, Sean Avery and Steve Ott chuckle at the small price they'll have to pay when they eventually end someone's career.

I'm pretty sure if Avery/Ott was the one who hit VanRyn they'd get more than 3 games. It's the action + prior history that factors into the decision. They have more of a history if I'm not mistaken.

sketchyt
11-10-2008, 08:31 PM
I'm pretty sure if Avery/Ott was the one who hit VanRyn they'd get more than 3 games. It's the action + prior history that factors into the decision. They have more of a history if I'm not mistaken.

I'm not saying Kostopolous should deserved more or less. All I'm saying is that the suspension is not making any statement towards discouraging hits from behind or general dirty play. Of course, this is a culmination of poor and contradictory disciplinary calls. Not just the Kostopoulis hit.

Also, same hit, same play... do you really think Colin "Suspensions by way of blind dart board" Campbell would have given Avery or Ott significantly more if at all? They would get what... 5 games? Oooh... real scary.

Dubz
11-10-2008, 09:03 PM
New nickname...Colin "blind dart" Campbell:lol:

3 games is about right what I had figured. Will it deter this type of hit in the heat of a nasty battle.....Nope.

NEXT

bearcats
11-10-2008, 09:15 PM
its about time campbell and the NHL did something to deter this kind of behavour from players. 3 games and 33,000 bucks will do nothing, absolutley nothing to prevent other players from bonehead moves like this.

I seriously think they have to set a precedent here and I guess it won't by kotsopolous.

Sad day when that only gets 3 games when van ryn will be gone for between 1 and 2 months.

alias
11-11-2008, 12:42 AM
what did hollweg get for his last few suspensions? The penalty increased each time did it not? I think as much as it seems Colin Campbell throws a "blind dart" every situation is different and it isn't exactly black and white. We'd all like to think it is but it isn't. Prior history, intent, and severity are different every time. Downie got 20 games for his hit last year if I remember correctly. That showed to be much more malicious with him leaving his feet, he intended to injure, and he had a prior history, so a larger suspension was warranted. I think that Campbell in this situation believed that Kostopolous was not 100% at fault here, and did not intend to injure VanRyn. Like I mentioned earlier VanRyn tried to change direction last minute, there's no question about that. If he continued along the path he was going (shooting the puck on his forehand around the back of the net instead of trying to backhand it to Colaiacovo) it never would have happened. Again, I'm not justifying the hit at all and every time I see hits like that I cringe.

*the following is my opinion on all hits that end up in injury, not the VanRyn one in particular, nor hits from behind in particular*

While I do somewhat agree with a suspension equalling the length of time a player is out for, what happens when the person who makes the hit is not completely at fault? The Bertuzzi incident was obvious. The McSorley/Brashear stick swinging incidents were obvious. Nobody questions who was at fault there, but there's a lot of players who get seriously hurt by making a poor decision. There are plenty of players who turned into a hit from behind, intentionally or not. There's too many variables to have a rule like that, and I doubt we ever see one. Who's to say the guy who got injured is at fault? Did he even know someone was about to hit him when he turned into it? What about hits to the head? What happens if Chara hits St. Louis along the boards and Chara's elbow hits Marty in the head resulting in a concussion? Is it Chara's fault that he's a giant, and St. Louis is a runt, and that his elbow down at his side is level with Marty's head? No, but theoretically he could do it on purpose without anybody knowing it was on purpose and claim his innocence. If St. Louis' elbow makes contact with pretty well anybody's head it's more likely an intentional head shot and is much easier to tell if there was intent.

A rule that is black and white does not fit into situations that are not so black and white. We do not see many situations like Bertuzzi/McSorley/Brashear. If the person getting injured was 100% innocent every time and the player laying down the hit was 100% at fault everytime this rule would already be in place.

bearcats
11-11-2008, 01:33 AM
valid points alias, I don't dislike Tom or the Habs and this has nothing to with you, just putting my two cents in on a matter that is very wrong in my mind

lets say Van ryn's out for say 20 to 30 games and tom gets 3.

Maybe tom should not get the same 20 or 30 that Van Ryn must sit out but he sure as heck deserves more than 3 games and 33,000 bucks which is like a speeding ticket to middle class folks.

I would like to see something substantial that will make every single player in the league think twice about doing this to his fellow players. And this goaes for anyone from downie to pronger to avery and bertuzzi and al lthose in between.

Something like 12 games which = $120,000 and I also think they should have to do a set amount of volunteer time at a local hospital with people suffering from similar injuries. These are the type of reprecussions that will cause players to get the "respect" back that has been lost in this game ever since they put those stupid helmets on. That was the begining of all the lack of respect and silly injuries that these guys punish each other with now

if you watch the replay it is very, very clear that Tom had loads of time to do something other than what he did. The whole van ryn "turned into" the hit from behind is irrelevant cause tom was the one that did something against the rules and not van ryn, Tom had so many choices other than what he did.

I also know that the bogus "Tom didn't have time to react" claims are incredibly stupid. Anyone that has taken power skating in minor hockey for at least 6 seasons could have stopped all together, changed his direction or just slightly pulled back and surely as a professional he should have those skills

Anyway it is my personal opinion that in this case along with 95% of the suspensions that the "criminal" if you will gets treated much, much better than the "vicitm" if you will.

Tom gets a nice little holiday and loses chump change and Van Ryn spends countless days in hospital and a gruelling 2 months of rehab and the possability that his career will never be the same due to concussions.

Rant over Colin Campbell has no idea what he is doing, he just told al lthe nhl players that what Tom did was "okay" as you will just get a slap on the wrist! Crazy

phaneuf6
11-11-2008, 11:38 AM
If you actually make the argument that Kostopolous isn't to blame and that it's Van Ryn's fault, you're beyond retarded. As a defenceman myself, going back to retrieve a puck that's been dumped in isn't always an easy job but you have to go make a play. Van Ryn trusted that Kostopolous would use his common sense before throwing a hit and he tried to make a smart play. Why should Van Ryn, or any defenceman for that matter, be forced into making the easy predictable play because if he doesn't he's going to get nailed from behind? There's forechecking and then there's being stupid. Kostopolous could've applied pressure without trying to make a huge hit, you can't blame Van Ryn for trying to make a play.

alias
11-11-2008, 12:46 PM
"While it is my determination that Kostopoulos did not deliver a check to an unsuspecting opponent, his actions caused injuries,” NHL vice president Colin Campbell said in a statement.

He's basically saying VanRyn knew Tom was coming, yet still put himself in that situation, which still doesn't warrant the hit, but he's saying Tom isn't completely at fault.

And Phaneuf6, I never said Tom was completely innocent. As much as Tom could have prevented it, VanRyn could have as well.

nyrblue2
11-11-2008, 01:08 PM
"While it is my determination that Kostopoulos did not deliver a check to an unsuspecting opponent, his actions caused injuries,” NHL vice president Colin Campbell said in a statement.

He's basically saying VanRyn knew Tom was coming, yet still put himself in that situation, which still doesn't warrant the hit, but he's saying Tom isn't completely at fault.

And Phaneuf6, I never said Tom was completely innocent. As much as Tom could have prevented it, VanRyn could have as well.
Yup...That was an extremely late change of direction...

Still, there was no sign Kostopolous tried to hold back...

If you actually make the argument that Kostopolous isn't to blame and that it's Van Ryn's fault, you're beyond retarded. As a defenceman myself, going back to retrieve a puck that's been dumped in isn't always an easy job but you have to go make a play. Van Ryn trusted that Kostopolous would use his common sense before throwing a hit and he tried to make a smart play. Why should Van Ryn, or any defenceman for that matter, be forced into making the easy predictable play because if he doesn't he's going to get nailed from behind? There's forechecking and then there's being stupid. Kostopolous could've applied pressure without trying to make a huge hit, you can't blame Van Ryn for trying to make a play.
I'm a D-man too. Yes, it's optimal to make a good play, but knowing there are plenty of bumbling idiots out there forechecking, I would not intentionally put myself into a vulnerable position just prior to impact. You can still make a play while taking a solid, safe hit...

phaneuf6
11-11-2008, 02:21 PM
Yup...That was an extremely late change of direction...

Still, there was no sign Kostopolous tried to hold back...

I'm a D-man too. Yes, it's optimal to make a good play, but knowing there are plenty of bumbling idiots out there forechecking, I would not intentionally put myself into a vulnerable position just prior to impact. You can still make a play while taking a solid, safe hit...
Yeah but then you'll also see the side of taking a hit to make a play. I'm sure Van Ryn was expecting to take a hit there but he sacrificed himself to make the play. Unfortunately the timing was just off and he was caught in a pretty bad position.

b_illin
11-11-2008, 02:59 PM
It was not the cleanest hit, but I do not think Koustoupolus meant to injure him. I am sure he will think twice next time as he is not the kind of player that wants to hurt people.

He got 3 games, end of story....let's move on now.

alias
11-11-2008, 06:48 PM
with all the vanryn talk this play got missed....

http://habsinsideout.com/files/hio/images/1107habbzz03.preview.jpg

this angle makes it look much worse. if Price was 2 inches shorter....wow. probably the dirtiest play of the game....this guy has some real hatred for the Habs

phaneuf6
11-11-2008, 07:18 PM

this angle makes it look much worse. if Price was 2 inches shorter....wow. probably the dirtiest play of the game....this guy has some real hatred for the Habs

You just don't want to admit that a Canadien could possibly have laid a dirty hit. :rolleyes:

Hoo Hoo Howie
11-11-2008, 07:54 PM
Is anyone watching the Montreal game? If so, can you explain how Josh Gorges got an assist while he was in the penalty box, according to Yahoo.

bearcats
11-11-2008, 08:07 PM
It was not the cleanest hit, but I do not think Koustoupolus meant to injure him. I am sure he will think twice next time as he is not the kind of player that wants to hurt people.

He got 3 games, end of story....let's move on now.

it does not matter if Tom meant to hurt him. According to NHL rules "intent to injure" is not what was called on Tom

This hit is happening all the time in the NHL now and will only continue to increase unless a significant penalty is assesed.

A three game holiday and pocket change will not deter Tom or any other nhler from doing this.

One day Campbell and that idiot Bettman will realize that they will have to change the severity of this penalty and I think it will take a guy being paralyzed or something like that but I think it will happen this year.

If a player does this they should recieve an automatic 10 or 12 games min. and up to as long as the injured party is out depending on the individual circumstances.

bearcats
11-11-2008, 08:09 PM

http://habsinsideout.com/files/hio/images/1107habbzz03.preview.jpg

grebovski should be suspended for this IMO this is where the 3 games without pay suspension should have landed

two24four
11-11-2008, 08:17 PM
it does not matter if Tom meant to hurt him. According to NHL rules "intent to injure" is not what was called on Tom

This hit is happening all the time in the NHL now and will only continue to increase unless a significant penalty is assesed.

A three game holiday and pocket change will not deter Tom or any other nhler from doing this.

One day Campbell and that idiot Bettman will realize that they will have to change the severity of this penalty and I think it will take a guy being paralyzed or something like that but I think it will happen this year.

If a player does this they should recieve an automatic 10 or 12 games min. and up to as long as the injured party is out depending on the individual circumstances.

I agree with this, like last season Jones from Philly should have missed the entire season after his hit on Patrice Bergeron, Bergeron went onto to miss the rest of the season after only playing in the 1st 10 games of the season last year, as well as missing the entire playoffs, while Jones only got 2 games for that hit

If they made it so the player making the hit missed just as much time as the player who's hurt, hits like these would never happen, or at least not as much as they are now.

Dubz
11-11-2008, 09:09 PM
OK guys we want to watch hockey though....you cant have the players being overly cautious every time they make a hit. If you can pulll up you should. Thats the lesson some guys have to be taught, which is what the 2 or 3 games is for. If you do it again then obviously you dont care to learn and deserve the whacked out suspensions you guys are talking about. I think all men are reachable and deserve at least a chance the first time.

Im glad you brought up the Bergeron hit its quite similar as far as I can recall. Maybe you could post it....hell maybe I could but Ive been working OT lately.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
11-11-2008, 10:13 PM
Thank you Price for the Fantasy points... W + SO and other goaltending stats scored me 28 pts tonight and kept me in first (pts league). I don't particularly like the Habs but I am def. into Carey Price. I own him in two leagues and I def hope he keeps it up (except when facing Pittsburgh or SJ!)

alias
11-11-2008, 10:59 PM
now that is the type of game the Habs want to play. Fantastic on the PK (without their best PKer Kostopolous) scoring once, almost scoring twice and having possesion of the puck for over a minute in one PK. The PP was good and had some chances, but Auld played very well tonight. Carey got a few lucky bounces, Heater should have had one at the side of the net early and his breakaway hit the post, but all around, in all situations the Habs played very well tonight. Also nice to see Higgins get his first hattrick!

alias
11-11-2008, 11:02 PM
You just don't want to admit that a Canadien could possibly have laid a dirty hit. :rolleyes:

Why are you putting words in my mouth? I never said a Hab didn't lay a dirty hit. The difference is that the Kosto/VanRyn play and the AKost/Schenn play are debatable as to intent. The Grabovski butt-end is not. Intent to injure is what makes a hit/play dirty. Any butt-end is 100% intent to injure. Can you admit that?

alias
11-11-2008, 11:23 PM
Thought this was cool. It's Frank Selke's daily agenda pad and he wrote out Maurice Richard's 1955-56 contract in pencil....

http://habsinsideout.com/files/hio/imagecache/bigimage/images/Contrat+Maurice+Richard.jpg

sketchyt
11-12-2008, 01:29 PM
I counted about one second for Kostopoulis to change his mind and direction. Maybe less. I have no idea about what the pace is like to play pro hockey... but is that enough time for him to not make the hit? Just asking.

nyrblue2
11-12-2008, 01:38 PM
I counted about one second for Kostopoulis to change his mind and direction. Maybe less. I have no idea about what the pace is like to play pro hockey... but is that enough time for him to not make the hit? Just asking.
How fast do you count? :p

That was less than half a second, easily...

boredguy
11-12-2008, 02:05 PM
I agree with this, like last season Jones from Philly should have missed the entire season after his hit on Patrice Bergeron, Bergeron went onto to miss the rest of the season after only playing in the 1st 10 games of the season last year, as well as missing the entire playoffs, while Jones only got 2 games for that hit

If they made it so the player making the hit missed just as much time as the player who's hurt, hits like these would never happen, or at least not as much as they are now.

I completely disagree, the penalties should have nothing to do with how badly a guy is injured. It's already taken way too much into account, a nasty dirty hit that doesn't injure might get nothing or a couple of games, a hit that isn't as bad but puts a guy out for awhile will get more, it's stupid. I think they should be much harsher on these kind of things even if the guy is uninjured, that would stop it more then getting lucky if the guy is uninjured and unlucky if the guy is seriously injured.
Honestly, the NHLPA is part of this stupidity as well. They always defend the guy getting penalized even if he deserves it, they don't give 2 shits about the injured guy.

sketchyt
11-12-2008, 02:06 PM
How fast do you count? :p

That was less than half a second, easily...

I counted the ol' fashioned way: mississippi-one! Somewhere in the 'one' the hit happened.

chgorman
11-12-2008, 02:24 PM
I completely disagree, the penalties should have nothing to do with how badly a guy is injured. It's already taken way too much into account, a nasty dirty hit that doesn't injure might get nothing or a couple of games, a hit that isn't as bad but puts a guy out for awhile will get more, it's stupid. I think they should be much harsher on these kind of things even if the guy is uninjured, that would stop it more then getting lucky if the guy is uninjured and unlucky if the guy is seriously injured.
Honestly, the NHLPA is part of this stupidity as well. They always defend the guy getting penalized even if he deserves it, they don't give 2 shits about the injured guy.

Exactly, completely agree. There needs to be a precident set here showing that these types of hits will not be tolerated regardless of intent (or lack thereof), extent of injury sustained by the victim (or lack thereof), etc. It can't continue to be policed on a case by case basis, as it's just not working. There needs to be a precident set ASAP, and it needs to be stuck to regardless of the details surounding the incident. Otherwise, the problem is never gonna be fixed.

The OHL has done this, and hits from behind and head injuries are WAY down since they instituted the rule and the mandatory suspension 3 yrs ago. I don't see any reason why the NHL can't do the same thing.

two24four
11-12-2008, 02:38 PM
I agree, the OHL is doing this the right way, it's called "Checking to the Head" if a player gets that penatly, it's an auto 5 mins + kicked out of that game + an auto 5 game suspension and a league reveiw for maybe more.

alias
11-12-2008, 03:53 PM

:yes: well said. so many dirty plays go unnoticed & unpenalized while flukey innocent hits end up in injury. there should be a set penalty for a specific type of play, for example a head shot gets x amount of games for the first infraction, xy amount for the second and so on.

Kyle
11-12-2008, 05:45 PM
To anyone who thinks 3 games isn't enough and that the NHL needs to make an example, regardless of intent (This is just such a stupid mindset):

How can you ignore intent in these situations and establish a set precedent for specific types of hits? Thats nonsense, complete and utter nonsense.

A hit from behind sucks. A hit to the head sucks. A hit to the head from behind because a defenseman made an absolutely ameture NHL play, does NOT deserve any sort of punishment comparable to anybody who goes out of his way to lay a dirty hit with only the intentions of hurting somebody (like Bertuzzi).

Pheunuf, you said anybody who thinks it was Ryan's fault is retarded. Well, I guess I owe you a fuck you for calling me a retard, and I'll add that you're the one who is absolutely numb in the mind if you think he didn't create the terrible situation for himself. Who cares if it was a play you'd make - you're not an NHL defenseman, the plays you make aren't necessarily the plays you're supposed to in the pros. You do NOT do that in the NHL. I don't care how bad he got injured, that doesn't suddenly shift the blame to AK when it was mainly Ryan's stupidity that put him in such a shitty spot in the first place.

The simple fact is, there was absolutely nothing sketchy about the play until the very last half-second, when a professional athlete who gets paid millions to be the best and smartest in the world at what he does decided to make a pee-wee decision and get his ass rocked.

Just because the outcome was unfortunate, does NOT mean they should make an example out of AK. Thats fucking stupid, theres no logic to that all.

That bullshit trip and butt end to price deserved suspensions. An accidental hit that resulted in an unfortunate injury where the blame lies largely with the victim does not deserve any more than 3 games. I do understand the 3 games, but the outcry for more is utterly ridiculous. Why should the NHL make an example out of a good player who is already serving a suspension for basically somebody else's fuckup (Don't remind me the price Ryan paid, I have no sympathy when people have to deal with the consequences of their own bad decisions)? This promotes the point that intent means nothing, and only the outcome matters. Which is fucking garbage, and is the reason why the buttend to Price won't even be reviewed. Because he didn't get hurt, despite the fact that anybody who would do that is a MUCH more dirty player and deserves a much more severe punishment than AK, who simply comitted himself to a big hit and got thrown into a terrible situation due to an ameture mistake by Ryan.

The 3 games is for not holding back, but at the end of the day, NONE of us know if we would've been able to hold back either. It was a shitty spot for both players, but the fact is one player was much more at fault than the other, and that playrt is Van Ryan. He fucked himself over, and AK shouldn't get any more than the 3 games he got for not holding back.

phaneuf6
11-12-2008, 07:45 PM
Why are you putting words in my mouth? I never said a Hab didn't lay a dirty hit. The difference is that the Kosto/VanRyn play and the AKost/Schenn play are debatable as to intent. The Grabovski butt-end is not. Intent to injure is what makes a hit/play dirty. Any butt-end is 100% intent to injure. Can you admit that?

Intent to injure doesn't make a play dirty. Do you think that every big hit that say Dion Phaneuf throws he's intending to injure that player? No hes just making a big play. I agree the intent is clear on the Grabovski play but the Kostopolous hit was still dirty no matter his intentions.

Pheunuf, you said anybody who thinks it was Ryan's fault is retarded. Well, I guess I owe you a fuck you for calling me a retard, and I'll add that you're the one who is absolutely numb in the mind if you think he didn't create the terrible situation for himself. Who cares if it was a play you'd make - you're not an NHL defenseman, the plays you make aren't necessarily the plays you're supposed to in the pros. You do NOT do that in the NHL. I don't care how bad he got injured, that doesn't suddenly shift the blame to AK when it was mainly Ryan's stupidity that put him in such a shitty spot in the first place.

It was Kostopolous who threw the hit but I guess I can let that slide.. :rolleyes: He obviously created a terrible situation for himself but all players in the league know that when another player goes into the end boards or into the corner, theres a chance that that person is going to turn their backs to you and you have to be ready for it. Racing down the ice at fullspeed to throw a big hit at that position along the boards is irresponsible. Theres playing hard and then there's having a lack of respect, for lack of a better word.

Kyle
11-12-2008, 09:39 PM
Agreed, and he got a 3 day suspension for it. Leave it be.

Dubz
11-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Agreed, and he got a 3 day suspension for it. Leave it be.

As long as we agree its 3 games not 3 days;)....Maybe you are thinking about work or something:lol:

alias
11-12-2008, 10:38 PM
Intent to injure doesn't make a play dirty. Do you think that every big hit that say Dion Phaneuf throws he's intending to injure that player? No hes just making a big play. I agree the intent is clear on the Grabovski play but the Kostopolous hit was still dirty no matter his intentions.

Phaneuf does not intend to injure people, and he is not a typical dirty player. If he intended to injure someone and threw an elbow, the yeah it's dirty. I'm not sure what you're tryiong to say there.

If VanRyn comes out and says it was his fault and he turned into it is it still a dirty hit? A hit from behind is not automatically a dirty hit. Every situation is different. Just like how I said if Chara elbows St. Louis purely because of the size difference it doesn't make it dirty, it makes it accidental.

It was Kostopolous who threw the hit but I guess I can let that slide.. :rolleyes: He obviously created a terrible situation for himself but all players in the league know that when another player goes into the end boards or into the corner, theres a chance that that person is going to turn their backs to you and you have to be ready for it. Racing down the ice at fullspeed to throw a big hit at that position along the boards is irresponsible. Theres playing hard and then there's having a lack of respect, for lack of a better word.

Yes, players know that when they go into the corner there is a potential for injury, but the day players go into the corner soft is the day they lose their jobs. These guys are professionals and have been playing hockey since they started walking. They should know how to go into the corner without leaving themselves open for injury, and you can't always expect the 2nd guy in on the play to predict that he will turn at the last second. There's hundreds of safe hits at full speed at that area of the ice. When you make 100 safe hits like that then your 101st hit the guy turns at the last second and gets hurt, all of a sudden you should have known better? The lack of respect here was VanRyn's lack of respect for the player coming in on him, where he was on the ice, and for himself. He turned and saw TK coming! Maybe he thought TK would be soft on him. Maybe he thought he could turn away. Yet he still made the decision to try the backhander at a well-known dangerous spot on the ice.

Kyle
11-13-2008, 07:20 PM
It was Kostopolous who threw the hit but I guess I can let that slide.. :rolleyes:
I said it was AK throwing the hit, what are you reading?

nyrblue2
11-13-2008, 07:25 PM
AK = Andrei Kostitsyn

What is the "A" for in Tom Kostopoulos?

Hamsterkill
11-13-2008, 08:24 PM
AK is used for Alexei Kovalev as well, but yeah... not Kostopoulos.

gagne21
11-13-2008, 08:40 PM

uhh, yeah it does.

phaneuf6
11-14-2008, 03:12 PM
uhh, yeah it does.

Sorry I meant intent to injure by itself. You could not intend to injure a guy and still throw a dirty hit.

Whatever its over.

b_illin
11-15-2008, 11:41 PM
Cherry showed the Kostityn cheapie trip thingie on Schenn on Coach's Corner tonight...still can't find a video of the play to post!

alias
11-16-2008, 01:19 AM
Cherry showed the Kostityn cheapie trip thingie on Schenn on Coach's Corner tonight...still can't find a video of the play to post!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeSKLqb-YxU

hard to tell if he meant to put his stick on the outside or inside of Schenn's skate

phaneuf6
11-16-2008, 11:26 AM
Thats a dirty play.

b_illin
11-16-2008, 12:59 PM
It's pretty obvious at the 0:37 mark of the video - no doubt in my mind.

chgorman
11-16-2008, 05:10 PM

AK = Andrei Kostitsyn

What is the "A" for in Tom Kostopoulos?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

alias
11-19-2008, 01:35 AM
:nono: Where did all the offense go? 5 goals in 4 games and 1 for the last 27 on the PP? That defense really misses Komo. What a terrible game by all not named Price or who play on the 4th line. Something needs to change, Gainey, I'm looking to you! Make something happen!

alias
11-20-2008, 09:11 PM
finally they open up the offense....

Montreal (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/teams/mon) 1227227400Thu (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/preview?gid=2008112014)7:30 pm
Ottawa (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/teams/ott) 2

Kyle
11-21-2008, 12:35 AM
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Right, its hilarious how little I know about random Canadian players I couldn't give two shits about. .:lol::lol::lol:

The two longshot last names I couldn't possibly care to remember threw me off, my point still stands...

chgorman
11-21-2008, 02:26 PM
Right, its hilarious how little I know about random Canadian players I couldn't give two shits about. .:lol::lol::lol:

The two longshot last names I couldn't possibly care to remember threw me off, my point still stands...

A little sensitive, are we? ;)

Kyle
11-21-2008, 02:57 PM
A little sensitive, are we? ;)

:lol::lol::lol:Look at you, getting all defensive. :lol::lol::lol:

I can't say a word to you without you turning into a pansy, why should I give you any more respect?

chgorman
11-21-2008, 03:52 PM
:lol::lol::lol:Look at you, getting all defensive. :lol::lol::lol:

I can't say a word to you without you turning into a pansy, why should I give you any more respect?

:lol: It was a joke... relax buddy ;)

Kyle
11-21-2008, 10:01 PM
So was mine, don't be so sensitive man...

DarkValiant
11-22-2008, 07:54 PM
What's with Montreal fans randomly booing people? Just curious. I've not seen any other team boo someone EVERY game regardless of who they're playing :P.

nyrblue2
11-22-2008, 09:14 PM
What's with Montreal fans randomly booing people? Just curious. I've not seen any other team boo someone EVERY game regardless of who they're playing :P.
Yea, I've noticed that, too. Tonight, I can udnerstand why they're booing Ryder, however, why Lucic as well?

two24four
11-22-2008, 10:54 PM
They have got worse this year I think for booing people in MTL, seems they pick at least one or two players off each team to boo, they booed Hossa this season, but I have no idea why, maybe cause he played for the Sens awhile ago, not sure though.

I'm guessing they booed Lucic for hurting Kommy, even though it was a clean fight, good hard fight.

DarkValiant
11-22-2008, 11:03 PM
They have got worse this year I think for booing people in MTL, seems they pick at least one or two players off each team to boo, they booed Hossa this season, but I have no idea why, maybe cause he played for the Sens awhile ago, not sure though.

I'm guessing they booed Lucic for hurting Kommy, even though it was a clean fight, good hard fight.

I guess I just don't get it. Pretty crappy thing to do if you ask me.

nyrblue2
11-22-2008, 11:08 PM
Oh yea, forgot about Komisarek. So they boo him because he kicked the crap out of their player...hmmm...

I'd boo Komisarek for sucking at fighting, lol.

alias
11-23-2008, 01:05 AM
another reason they boo'd Lucic is that he refused to fight Laraque after the last game....then laraque said he had no respect for Lucic & called him a middleweight. It's hard to get Laraque to lose respect for you but Lucic managed. I'm sure if he manned up and accepted BGL's invitation he wouldn't have gotten boo'd.

from the game where Lucic fought Komo....
http://www.gazblogs.com/habsinsideout-files/2008%20Nov%2014%20Hickey/Laraque.MP3

(http://www.gazblogs.com/habsinsideout-files/2008%20Nov%2014%20Hickey/Laraque.MP3)

alias
11-23-2008, 01:09 AM
The only channel I was able to get to see the Habs game they had it translated to Punjabi. I had no idea this even existed! The volume was low and we thought it was french at first until they were going to commercial and the show was called "Hockey Night In Canada, Punjabi Edition" turned it up and sure enough....

DarkValiant
11-23-2008, 01:23 AM
The only channel I was able to get to see the Habs game they had it translated to Punjabi. I had no idea this even existed! The volume was low and we thought it was french at first until they were going to commercial and the show was called "Hockey Night In Canada, Punjabi Edition" turned it up and sure enough....

Saw that too when I was watching a stream online. On was called Punjabi Version. I listened to it for a bit just to see, the announcer didn't seem very enthused :P.

HABS_FrEaK
11-23-2008, 04:03 AM
Oh yea, forgot about Komisarek. So they boo him because he kicked the crap out of their player...hmmm...

I'd boo Komisarek for sucking at fighting, lol.

It was more because of the ridiculous celebrating Lucic did after the fight...Habs fans boo alot of people for no reason but booing a player from a rival team that taunted your team the game before kinda normal...

I really hate that a lot boo Chara though, I actually asked a guy at a game why he was booing Chara and he looks at me like I know nothing about hockey and says its because Chara actually sucks and hes only in the NHL because hes tall....fucking dumbass

As for Hossa I actually think it has something to do with him being traded to the Pens instead of us...as if he had a fucking say in that...

Sometimes I really hate that we have such a big fan base because the bigger the fanbase the more incompetent it gets.
________
Persian cooking (http://www.cooking-chef.com/persian/)

nyrblue2
11-23-2008, 11:13 AM
Ah, I didn't know Lucic showboated after the fight. I guess that's understandable, then.

Why would Lucic fight Laraque if he knows he's gonna get his ass kicked? lol

Snipes16
11-23-2008, 11:24 AM
another reason they boo'd Lucic is that he refused to fight Laraque after the last game....then laraque said he had no respect for Lucic & called him a middleweight. It's hard to get Laraque to lose respect for you but Lucic managed. I'm sure if he manned up and accepted BGL's invitation he wouldn't have gotten boo'd.

from the game where Lucic fought Komo....
http://www.gazblogs.com/habsinsideout-files/2008%20Nov%2014%20Hickey/Laraque.MP3

In defense of Lucic not taking on Laraque last night.... Friday night Milan absolutely tatooed Nick Boynton's face busting it open in more than spot. They pan to the penalty box and Lucic is looking over his hand and knuckles pretty good.

Just sayin...had that hand not been so sore from the night before I'm sure he would have taken him on right then and there. Why risk his swolen mitts on a goon like Laraque to satisfy Hab fans?

Especially when there's a next time :beer:

Snipes16
11-23-2008, 11:27 AM
And I take exception to Blue's comments...I have yet to see Lucic get his ass kicked and would certainly like his chances against George "Bunny" Laraque.

phaneuf6
11-23-2008, 11:36 AM
And I take exception to Blue's comments...I have yet to see Lucic get his ass kicked and would certainly like his chances against George "Bunny" Laraque.

Laraque would dummy Lucic. He's the most feared fighter/best fighter in the league. I think Lucic would be stupid to take on Georges and it was a smart move not to go him.

phaneuf6
11-23-2008, 11:37 AM
PS: How about the awful shooting in that SO last night by the Habs?

Snipes16
11-23-2008, 01:26 PM
Laraque would dummy Lucic. He's the most feared fighter/best fighter in the league. I think Lucic would be stupid to take on Georges and it was a smart move not to go him.

Well, so far nobody has been able to "dummy" Lucic so that would be a 1st. Being a Phaneuf guy wouldn't bias your decision towards Laraque would it? :rolleyes:

FWIW, Julien in todays Boston Globe said he forbid Lucic from dropping with Laraque last night. "It's on me" was his actual quote as to why he didn't.

I just find it humorous that a 20 year old college aged sophomore beats up a grown man (Komisarek) and Montreal calls on the older brother of the older brother to straighten it out.

Just for the sake of argument...what if Lucic "dummies" Laraque in the future? What do the Canadiens do then? Pull Probert out of a Saloon and sign him?

"Mandelbom,Mandelbom,Mandelbom" :lol:

nyrblue2
11-23-2008, 01:35 PM
As much as I like Lucic, Laraque has become fairly untouchable. I think Lucic would get a couple good ones in, but would learn something new about NHL fighting...

alias
11-24-2008, 08:51 AM

Well, so far nobody has been able to "dummy" Lucic so that would be a 1st. Being a Phaneuf guy wouldn't bias your decision towards Laraque would it? :rolleyes:

FWIW, Julien in todays Boston Globe said he forbid Lucic from dropping with Laraque last night. "It's on me" was his actual quote as to why he didn't.

I just find it humorous that a 20 year old college aged sophomore beats up a grown man (Komisarek) and Montreal calls on the older brother of the older brother to straighten it out.

Just for the sake of argument...what if Lucic "dummies" Laraque in the future? What do the Canadiens do then? Pull Probert out of a Saloon and sign him?

"Mandelbom,Mandelbom,Mandelbom" :lol:

Who has Lucic fought and dominated that compares to Laraque? The best fighter he has gone against is Ivanans. All his other fights were against either middleweight guys or not very good fighters.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/2638/fightcard/reg2008

2007-08 fights:
Of his 13 fights only 4 can be considered solid opponents, and only 1 IMO was an outright win.

The decent fighters he's faced:
Fought Ivanans, probably a draw. The Boll fight I guess he won, but only because Boll's jersey got pulled, not becuase he took too many hard shots. Eager lost his footing and fell after missing a punch, not because of taking a punch. He got a nice shot in on Clarkson, def won that fight, but again he's no heavyweight.

The others:
Then he fought Winchester, Tarnasky, Mark Bell, Jackman, Erskine, Brookbank, Gleason, Bradley, Ruutu. These guys are all willing to drop 'em if needed, but in most cases Lucic is the best fighter they have faced, their other fights aren't against big tough guys.

His fights this year are Komisarek & Boynton. :rolleyes:

http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/2638/fightcard/reg2009

Lucic may have won a bunch of fights, but when he chooses low-middle end fighters that isn't a suprise. Then his mommy, I mean Claude Julien, forbids him from fighting BGL? I thought Lucic was his own man and could stand up for himself? I guess not.

Kaboominator
11-24-2008, 09:18 AM
Why would he fight BGL? Lucic is top line player. BGL is 4th line player. We have Thornton to fight him who did quite well against him last fight. Lucic is not a heavy weight. I don't think you will see the same amount of fights from him this year as last. He is in his second year and should be there for hits and offensive output. It looks very funny to see BGL following him around the ice like a crazed ex girlfriend. Lucic doesnt have to prove anything. It is well known that BGL is one of the best fighters in the league if not the Best. Id way rather have Lucic slamming bodies and scoring than sitting in the box with BGL. The Komisarek fight was excellent because Komi has been taunting him since playoffs last year and he finally got what he wanted, a face full of Lucic fists and a busted shoulder.

Kyle
11-24-2008, 10:27 AM
I seriously despise any 4th line goon talking any sort of shit whatsoever. Get on your knees and pray to the God who blessed your talentless ass with an NHL career and shut the fuck up, you don't get to talk to the guys who can actually play hockey. He sounded like a little dipshit talking shit about how he passed on the fight and found someone smaller, what a joke.

WinnipegWingnut
11-24-2008, 11:28 AM
Laraque would kill Lucic and Lucic would be dump to fight him.

Solid on Julien to step up and say he told Milan not too... at that age you don't want the kids ego to be tattered because people for some reason call him a wimp for not fighting a monster.

For those of you calling Lucic a wimp, you jump on the ice and take on Georges... tell me how you feel.

For a little bit of a related story, there is a video of a kid here in Winnipeg that I've been to a few parties with that fought Brashear when Brash was in a Quebec mens league and the NHL was on strike. The Winnipeg guy is known for being tough, fought at parties here, on the ice here, never lost a scrap. But Brash absolutely KO'd the kid... but he said he had to give it a try to say he did, plus a fan offered him $500.00 to fight Donald.

I'll try to find it and post the link. Guys like Laraque/Brashear/Boogard are paid to fight, so they are damn good at it. Lucic isn't, he's paid to hit, score when he can, and be a solid all around player.

Edit: Here it is, and remember this guy (not going to name him) is known around here as a big time scrapper from Transcona for you Peggers on the board.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2hIRXqhyL4

alias
11-24-2008, 11:54 AM
I was just really responding to the quote that Lucic never had his ass kicked, which while true when looking at his opponents doesn't say a whole lot. If he's going to skate around and act like he's in the WWE after winning a fight against a middleweight, and dominate the fights he has been in, he should be willing to fight they guys in a higher tier. If he's never had his ass kicked why not fight real fighters? I like the kid, I own him in 3 of 4 fantasy teams, but he would have garnered much more respect around the league if he accepted Laraque's invitation, win or loss. It won't end his career so why not?

P.S. WW that guy in the vid....good on him for continually getting back up, but man Brash laid a pounding on him. Not too many guys get up after a beating like that.

chgorman
11-24-2008, 12:01 PM
Woulda loved to have seen Chara drop 'em with Georgie. Now THAT woulda been a good match. Lucic woulda taken a pounding vs. George, no question.

WinnipegWingnut
11-24-2008, 12:12 PM
Woulda loved to have seen Chara drop 'em with Georgie. Now THAT woulda been a good match. Lucic woulda taken a pounding vs. George, no question.

YEP! Now THAT is the guy Laraque should be dancing with, and they have in the past, but not Lucic.

Komasarik isn't exactly an angel or a wimp either, and in Lucic's defence Komasarik was begging for that fight all night, so yeah, I'd taunt the hell out of the other team too if some dick was bugging to fight me all night and I KO'd him.

Edit:

Here's one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJwiCg0zvZ0

And another... different fight (location on the rink) but looks the same:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4Cegfj7wJE

Kaboominator
11-24-2008, 12:21 PM
Komisarek had been taunting him since last year in playoffs to go. Pushing him after every little scrum. I'm sure he was pumped to lay a beating on him after all that. Komisarek is a tough cookie. Id be proud of that result also. Lucic is the face of the Bruisn franchise. They need to get people in the seats in Boston and he represents what the fans want to see. He is as much entertainment as he is productive and good for him and the B's. And you are right, there is no way Lucic should or would fight BGL. BGL is in a different category of players all together. And as much as i like to see round three of Chara vs BGL the trade off is way worse when Chara is in the box for 5. Let thornton do his job, he did quite well against George last fight.

alias
11-24-2008, 02:10 PM
Here's one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJwiCg0zvZ0

And another... different fight (location on the rink) but looks the same:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4Cegfj7wJE

I'd love to see those two throw more than 1 punch each and go for at least 30 seconds....that fight would be insane.

WinnipegWingnut
11-24-2008, 03:21 PM
I'd love to see those two throw more than 1 punch each and go for at least 30 seconds....that fight would be insane.

Oh me too, trust me... but the size and weight advantage does not bode well with Georges unfortunately, I think Chara is the one guy in the league that would beat Georges. But can't see Boston letting the big man get into fights too often and risking injury.

DarkValiant
11-24-2008, 10:15 PM
That was pretty shitty of the fans at the Montreal - NYI game. Chanting O'Byrne after the game after he had that own goal mistake. I know he made a mistake, but that's a seriously shitty way to treat players on your team.

If it was me, I'd pull a Patrick Roy and tell the GM I'd never play another game for Montreal after that.

It's only his second year in the NHL and they do that to him. Poor guy. I hope he gets traded to a team that could appreciate him, especially since this isn't the first time Montreal fans have been all over him.

Kaboominator
11-24-2008, 10:16 PM
wow...O'Byrne....Islanders steal 2 in MON...wow...poor kid. First its grand theft purse and now this..

Kaboominator
11-24-2008, 10:20 PM
That was pretty shitty of the fans at the Montreal - NYI game. Chanting O'Byrne after the game after he had that own goal gaff. I know he made a mistake, but that's a seriously shitty way to treat players on your team.

If it was me, I'd pull a Patrick Roy and tell the GM I'd never play another game for Montreal after that.

It's only his second year in the NHL and they do that to him. Poor guy :(. I hope he gets traded to a team that could appreciate him.

Montreal may be one of the most decorated franchises in sport but there is reason why players choose not to sign there. Its tough... All the fans did tonight was maybe damage one of there own players for the near future...But i must admit i was smiling the whole time...:evilgrin:

HABS_FrEaK
11-25-2008, 02:24 AM
That was pretty shitty of the fans at the Montreal - NYI game. Chanting O'Byrne after the game after he had that own goal mistake. I know he made a mistake, but that's a seriously shitty way to treat players on your team.

It's only his second year in the NHL and they do that to him. Poor guy. I hope he gets traded to a team that could appreciate him, especially since this isn't the first time Montreal fans have been all over him.

Well to be fair this wasnt his first mistake, he has been pretty terrible all year...also Patrick didnt demand for a trade because of the fans booing him it was because of Mario Tremblay and O'byrne is no all star, 2nd year fringe players don't demand for trades lol

With that said I do agree that booing him was horrible...I hate how booing has become a "thing" for habs fans.

I'm sure Brisebois can put it in perspective for him though lol
________
SUZUKI CONCEPT X (http://www.suzuki-tech.com/wiki/Suzuki_Concept_X)

WinnipegWingnut
11-25-2008, 08:38 AM
I'm sure Brisebois can put it in perspective for him though lol

Haha.... so true, and that's why in the "best hockey market" thread I said Montreal fans are easily the most passionate fans. They'll praise you on the street when your the hero, spit on you when your the zero.

I was at one game where Sheldon Souray was booed like he was the devil... he took a penalty and the Panthers scored. But.... the next game, he scores the winner and they are chanting his name!

Habs fans jump on and off players band wagons like they are switching buses.

moans
11-25-2008, 10:16 AM
I didn't know he attended the Bryan McCabe school of defence. Shame on the fans for booing him after the game. Sure at the time a couple of boos are fine, I mean the guy scored in his own net. However, to do it after the game is inexcusable.

alias
11-26-2008, 10:00 PM
Montreal defense :headbang:

Detroit had very few quality chances on Price today, most of his saves were fairly easy and from good angles. Playing that 0-5 defense did very well especially considering they didn't have perhaps their best defensive defenseman in Komisarek. Kostopolous also filled in very nicely for Tanguay and was incredibly effective in his own zone, but that's no surprise. Other than the Detroit goal O'Byrne played very good as well. Remember it took Komo about 40-50 games to finally play to his potential, O'Byrne is at 51 now so hopefully he rounds into a Komo type player very shortly. Overall a very good showing by the Habs. :yes:

And were those Go Habs Go chants I heard in the 2nd from the 7000-8000 Habs fans at the Joe? :shocked:

Dubz
11-26-2008, 10:48 PM
Montreal defense :headbang:

And were those Go Habs Go chants I heard in the 2nd from the 7000-8000 Habs fans at the Joe? :shocked:

It was probably more like 700-800 and most were from Windsor;)

alias
11-27-2008, 08:50 AM
It was probably more like 700-800 and most were from Windsor;)

they mentioned numerous times during the broadcast 7-8 thousand, and they were pretty loud. but if you were there I'll take your word for it.

Dubz
11-27-2008, 09:01 AM
I was being sarcastic brutha...I neither watched nor was I there. If you want the actual truth, I mean if its that important to you....post in the Red Wings thread. Im sure one of those guys were there. My point was 7-8 thousand sounds like an exaggeration and that there are a whole lot of Habs fans here in Windsor....thats all.:cool:

chgorman
11-27-2008, 02:27 PM
This was talked about last night on the Wings/Habs telecast... I would love to hear some Habs fans thoughts, but I don't want this turn into a flame war...

I made a comment in a thread in the fantasy hky forum 3 wks ago regarding MTL's ineffectiveness on the PP now that Streit is gone, something to the effect of 'Streit left and took MTL's #1 ranked PP with him'. My comment was misinterpretted at the time, but my main point was that Streit was an integral part of the MTL PP last year, and now that he's gone, they're struggling. Well, 10 gms later, they're still struggling (were 3 for 40 or something like that in their last 40 some-odd PP opportunities before last night's game), ranked 22nd overall in PP%, while Streit is still playing well despite being stuck in the quagmire of NYI, where players go to die. It was mentioned by both McGuire and Cuthbert last night that maybe MTL is missing Streit more than they originally anticipated.

So here's my question... is it reasonable to believe that Streit had a legit, significant, positive affect on the MTL PP, and they're missing him now? Or is it just a coincidence that MTL's PP is so weak right now, and it has nothing to do with Streit leaving?

alias
11-27-2008, 02:37 PM
This was talked about last night on the Wings/Habs telecast... I would love to hear some Habs fans thoughts, but I don't want this turn into a flame war...

I made a comment in a thread in the fantasy hky forum 3 wks ago regarding MTL's ineffectiveness on the PP now that Streit is gone, something to the effect of 'Streit left and took MTL's #1 ranked PP with him'. My comment was misinterpretted at the time, but my main point was that Streit was an integral part of the MTL PP last year, and now that he's gone, they're struggling. Well, 10 gms later, they're still struggling (were 3 for 40 or something like that in their last 40 some-odd PP opportunities before last night's game), ranked 22nd overall in PP%, while Streit is still playing well despite being stuck in the quagmire of NYI, where players go to die. It was mentioned by both McGuire and Cuthbert last night that maybe MTL is missing Streit more than they originally anticipated.

So here's my question... is it reasonable to believe that Streit had a legit, significant, positive affect on the MTL PP, and they're missing him now? Or is it just a coincidence that MTL's PP is so weak right now, and it has nothing to do with Streit leaving?

They miss a left-handed hard shooting right D-man on the point. Not neccessarily Streit or Souray. I've talked about it before (maybe it was on another site) but it gives more options to Markov & Kovalev when there is more of a shooting threat on the right point. There are plenty of players that can fit that role, just not so many are actually on the Habs! I would like to see them try AK46 back there but perhaps they are concerned about his defensive ability which I don't think is all that bad.

edit: here's where I talked about it....

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=573769

chgorman
11-27-2008, 03:02 PM
They miss a left-handed hard shooting right D-man on the point. Not neccessarily Streit or Souray. I've talked about it before (maybe it was on another site) but it gives more options to Markov & Kovalev when there is more of a shooting threat on the right point. There are plenty of players that can fit that role, just not so many are actually on the Habs! I would like to see them try AK46 back there but perhaps they are concerned about his defensive ability which I don't think is all that bad.

edit: here's where I talked about it....

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=573769

I think you talked about it in the thread I was referring to too.

So I'm not sure what you're saying. Are you saying it has nothing to do with Streit leaving? Or are you saying Streit leaving leaves this hole on the D on the PP that they haven't been able to fill? I'm not gonna start an arguement about it, I just want to make sure I'm clear on what you're saying, cause I'm not sure if you're completely writing off Streit as being an important part of their PP, or if you're saying him leaving leaves the hole on the bluline on the PP that you're talking about, and thus they're missing him....?

alias
11-27-2008, 03:36 PM
I think you talked about it in the thread I was referring to too.

So I'm not sure what you're saying. Are you saying it has nothing to do with Streit leaving? Or are you saying Streit leaving leaves this hole on the D on the PP that they haven't been able to fill? I'm not gonna start an arguement about it, I just want to make sure I'm clear on what you're saying, cause I'm not sure if you're completely writing off Streit as being an important part of their PP, or if you're saying him leaving leaves the hole on the bluline on the PP that you're talking about, and thus they're missing him....?

Well, yes and no. Streit leaves a hole but some think it is unfillable, which I do not believe. Everyone thought the PP would be done when Souray left, but it's not the specific player, its the type of player if that makes any sense. Obviously when a 60 point d-man leaves you can't just throw anyone in there, but it's not to say nobody can fill that role, and Streit proved that when Souray left. It just so happened that last year the first guy they put there did very well. So to answer your original question, yes, Streit did have a legit, significant, positive affect on the PP last year, and this year they are missing that key piece on the right point, but I do believe that the correct fit isn't very far away. I prefer to word it more that "we are missing the correct right d-man" as opposed to "we are missing Streit/Souray". Afterall, it's not like he's Dion Phaneuf. Those would be big shoes to fill and his skill set more directly affects Calgary's PP, with Streit it was more the players around him & the system that contributed to his success IMO. However, if he ends up with 60 points & over 30 PPP's in NYI it looks like I'll have to reconsider my opinion there.

chgorman
11-27-2008, 04:37 PM
Well, yes and no. Streit leaves a hole but some think it is unfillable, which I do not believe. Everyone thought the PP would be done when Souray left, but it's not the specific player, its the type of player if that makes any sense. Obviously when a 60 point d-man leaves you can't just throw anyone in there, but it's not to say nobody can fill that role, and Streit proved that when Souray left. It just so happened that last year the first guy they put there did very well. So to answer your original question, yes, Streit did have a legit, significant, positive affect on the PP last year, and this year they are missing that key piece on the right point, but I do believe that the correct fit isn't very far away. I prefer to word it more that "we are missing the correct right d-man" as opposed to "we are missing Streit/Souray". Afterall, it's not like he's Dion Phaneuf. Those would be big shoes to fill and his skill set more directly affects Calgary's PP, with Streit it was more the players around him & the system that contributed to his success IMO. However, if he ends up with 60 points & over 30 PPP's in NYI it looks like I'll have to reconsider my opinion there.

Fair enough. Good post. Nice response.

In all fairness, Streit has slowed down a bit since that thread 3 wks ago, I think he's on pace for closer to 55 pts or so now (as opposed to the 63 or 64 I suggested in the other thread), so although he seemed to be an important part of the PP in MTL, maybe not quite as important as I'm made him out to be. I think your point about the players around him is a very valid one. He made the MTL PP better, but a lot of it had to do with the skill around him too. Now that he's not with MTL anymore, their PP isn't as good, while he's not on the same pace with the Isles that he was with MTL.

Thx for your thoughts alias :).

alias
11-30-2008, 03:37 AM
for a good chuckle....witty and very well written

Are you there God? It's me, Alex.
http://habsinsideout.com/otherwing/j-t/11704

alias
12-01-2008, 09:29 PM
For those who may be interested, Georges Laraque now has a blog....

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/blogs/2008/12/01/laraque_blog/

Kaboominator
12-02-2008, 03:00 PM
its a good read. I'm looking forward to his next one on fighting.

alias
12-02-2008, 07:11 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

http://elfyourself.jibjab.com/view/pzVgz0NK0ov0wNwy#/owner/pzVgz0NK0ov0wNwy

Happy Holidays!

phaneuf6
12-02-2008, 09:54 PM
So I'm watching this Montreal Atlanta game and I'm not impressed with the Canadiens at all. I've probably watched a good 10 games of theirs this year and so far they don't strike me as a team that will go far in the playoffs, never mind win the Cup. Am I the only one that thinks this? There's no jump in their game, certainly not in Kovalev's either. I think this team could really benefit from Sundin.

Hamsterkill
12-02-2008, 11:13 PM
So I'm watching this Montreal Atlanta game and I'm not impressed with the Canadiens at all. I've probably watched a good 10 games of theirs this year and so far they don't strike me as a team that will go far in the playoffs, never mind win the Cup. Am I the only one that thinks this? There's no jump in their game, certainly not in Kovalev's either. I think this team could really benefit from Sundin.
I know what you mean. They look much better on paper than they do on TV this year.

alias
12-03-2008, 02:13 AM

I wasn't able to watch today's game but I know what you mean. The effort isn't there. I think with the success they had last year they just expect that it'll happen easier this year. The only guys I can say put in a great effort game after game is Kostopolous, Price, and AK46 since his injury. Everyone else has been hit or miss on the effort front. They need a serious kick in the pants. On the positive side I'd rather them go through these issues now than try to work them out in March/April/May.

alias
12-04-2008, 08:16 PM
price looking sharp in those brown pads :p

alias
12-05-2008, 09:38 PM
So I'm gonna go ahead and coin the name for the A Kostsitsyn-Koivu-D'Agostini line which has looked amazing the last 2 games....

The Kodak line

You got the Ko for Koivu, the da for D'Agostini, and the ak at the end for, well, AK46

alias
12-16-2008, 08:13 PM
Kovalev scores! and a shorty none the less....

alias
12-16-2008, 08:33 PM
9 penalties for Montreal....0 for Carolina :bs:

an 11th penalty with 0.1 seconds left in the 2nd....I'm sorry but I never complain about refs, but this is absolutely ridiculous....

11-0 now....

chgorman
12-17-2008, 10:25 AM
9 penalties for Montreal....0 for Carolina :bs:

an 11th penalty with 0.1 seconds left in the 2nd....I'm sorry but I never complain about refs, but this is absolutely ridiculous....

11-0 now....

I always hate seeing posts like this. It's like you're saying CAR should get a bunch of penalties just because they called 11 straight on MTL, even if CAR doesn't deserve one. Here's a novel concept: maybe MTL should learn to play with some DISCIPLINE!

That said, I didn't watch the gm TBH, so I don't know, maybe CAR deserved a few penalties that didn't get called, while maybe MTL got a few called on them that they didn't deserve, so maybe you have a legit complaint. It just bothers me when ppl blame the refs because their team can't play with some discipline and keep themselves out of the box, which sounds like what might have went on here. If MTL deserved 11 penalties and CAR didn't deserve any, how is that the ref's fault? I didn't realize that the refs were supposed to call an equal amt of penalties on both teams, even if one team doesn't deserve them. That must be a new addition to the rulebook.

phaneuf6
12-17-2008, 10:30 AM
I always hate seeing posts like this. It's like you're saying CAR should get a bunch of penalties just because they called 11 straight on MTL, even if CAR doesn't deserve one. Here's a novel concept: maybe MTL should learn to play with some DISCIPLINE!

That said, I didn't watch the gm TBH, so I don't know, maybe CAR deserved a few penalties that didn't get called, while maybe MTL got a few called on them that they didn't deserve, so maybe you have a legit complaint. It just bothers me when ppl blame the refs because their team can't play with some discipline and keep themselves out of the box, which sounds like what might have went on here. If MTL deserved 11 penalties and CAR didn't deserve any, how is that the ref's fault? I didn't realize that the refs were supposed to call an equal amt of penalties on both teams, even if one team doesn't deserve them. That must be a new addition to the rulebook.

COMPLETELY agreed. Great post. I saw the highlights of the Montreal penalties and they were all completely legit calls. However, I can't comment on the refereeing with regards to Carolina because I didn't watch the game either.

Motorcat
12-17-2008, 11:13 AM
^ chgorman nailed it..... very undisciplined hockey from the Habs last night.

If anything the Habs got away with a dangerous boarding hit on Staal. The arena went totally quiet as he laid there motionless. Hamrlik should of been ejected for that hit, instead he gets 2 minutes in the box.

They also were gifted with a penalty shot call that was questionable as well.

I feel fortunate we got the win - the depleted Habs had plenty of chances late and as much as I've been on Ward's ass this year he stood on his head the last 2 minutes.

two24four
12-17-2008, 01:13 PM
They showed every single call against the Habs last night during one of the INT's of the CHI vs EDM game, it looked like every call was a good one, Habs just looked like they where very undisciplined like some have said already.

alias
12-17-2008, 06:16 PM

Typically I agree with this as well. However, there were at least 3-4 penalties that were questionable and while there were many warranted penalties, there were many non-calls against Carolina, specifically diving calls (the O'Byrne penalty at least). D'Agostini's was incidental contact. Latendresse's 2 penalties were BS and he was about 4 feet away from a player and got called for tripping. Kovalev got called for slashing, yet a Cane slashed a Hab, broke his stick and no call. I hate to say stuff like that but it was pretty apparant in some cases. It just appeared that they were being more strict on the Habs and loose on the 'Canes. Seems Carolina has had such luck in the past and has been accused of diving....
http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2007021213

oh and Staal turned last second on that boarding call....not saying it shouldn't have been a penalty....just saying

Motorcat
12-17-2008, 07:55 PM
Typically I agree with this as well. However, there were at least 3-4 penalties that were questionable and while there were many warranted penalties, there were many non-calls against Carolina, specifically diving calls (the O'Byrne penalty at least). D'Agostini's was incidental contact. Latendresse's 2 penalties were BS and he was about 4 feet away from a player and got called for tripping. Kovalev got called for slashing, yet a Cane slashed a Hab, broke his stick and no call. I hate to say stuff like that but it was pretty apparant in some cases. It just appeared that they were being more strict on the Habs and loose on the 'Canes. Seems Carolina has had such luck in the past and has been accused of diving....
http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2007021213

oh and Staal turned last second on that boarding call....not saying it shouldn't have been a penalty....just saying

Must of been watching a different game than I was but I'll agree to disagree on some of that.

The diving calls ...please, that shit goes back to early last year in Florida and its the first I have heard of since - I'll leave it at that.

WinnipegWingnut
12-17-2008, 08:10 PM
Oh geez.... I hate it when people blame a game like that on the ref's, Montreal played undiciplined, carolina did, and won, end of story :D

oncogene
12-17-2008, 08:14 PM
yeah, wouldn't be a boarding penalty if the other guy didn't turn.... wouldnt be a slashing penalty if the other guy didn't stand there.... wouldn't be a tripping penalty if the other guy just stopped skating....

phaneuf6
12-17-2008, 09:09 PM
Please Staal was making a play on the puck. Quit making excuses for your struggling team.

alias
12-17-2008, 10:42 PM
Oh geez.... I hate it when people blame a game like that on the ref's, Montreal played undiciplined, carolina did, and won, end of story :D

yeah, wouldn't be a boarding penalty if the other guy didn't turn.... wouldnt be a slashing penalty if the other guy didn't stand there.... wouldn't be a tripping penalty if the other guy just stopped skating....

Please Staal was making a play on the puck. Quit making excuses for your struggling team.

Read my post again. I'm not saying those penalties weren't penalties. I'm saying Carolina had similar plays and didn't get called. Yeah you can say "I hate it when people say that about refs" but guess what, the refs aren't perfect they make mistakes too. While they did make a bunch of legit calls, they missed a hell of a lot of calls too.

phaneuf6
12-17-2008, 11:50 PM
Read my post again. I'm not saying those penalties weren't penalties. I'm saying Carolina had similar plays and didn't get called. Yeah you can say "I hate it when people say that about refs" but guess what, the refs aren't perfect they make mistakes too. While they did make a bunch of legit calls, they missed a hell of a lot of calls too.
(read above)

alias
12-18-2008, 07:30 PM
Habs are hungry today....good to see the young guns sparking the team

HABS_FrEaK
12-19-2008, 02:45 AM
Seriously people? Every single one of you would complain if your team got 11 penalties while the other team got none....yes most if not all the penalties the Habs received were warranted but in today's NHL it is practically impossible for a team to go a whole game without deserving a penalty.

Edit: forgot that Whitney penalty but my point still stands.

Anyways great win tonight and 2 goals in 2 games for Kovy, maybe hes finally turning it around!
________
No2 vaporizers (http://no2vaporizers.com)

alias
12-19-2008, 06:31 PM
Dick Irvin Jr's Top 5 lists....

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2008/12/18/canadiens-hundreth-topfive.html#socialcomments

phaneuf6
12-20-2008, 12:16 AM
Seriously people? Every single one of you would complain if your team got 11 penalties while the other team got none....yes most if not all the penalties the Habs received were warranted but in today's NHL it is practically impossible for a team to go a whole game without deserving a penalty.

Edit: forgot that Whitney penalty but my point still stands.

Anyways great win tonight and 2 goals in 2 games for Kovy, maybe hes finally turning it around!

So it's still possible. I don't understand why a team can't play a clean game...

alias
12-20-2008, 01:28 AM
So it's still possible. I don't understand why a team can't play a clean game...

Did you watch the game? I don't understand how people can dismiss it so easily. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Montreal should have had no penalties, what I'm saying is that it was not called fairly on both sides. They were calling a tight game against Montreal letting nothing slide, and a loose game against Carolina letting everything slide except for an obvious slash on Lats and a high stick. Well Meier was anyways, L'Ecuyer made all legit calls. When Kovalev gets called for slashing, yet a 'Cane slashes a Hab stick and it breaks with no call somethings wrong. And whoever dove on the O'Byrne penalty....I give him a 9.0

phaneuf6
12-20-2008, 01:35 AM
Did you watch the game? I don't understand how people can dismiss it so easily. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Montreal should have had no penalties, what I'm saying is that it was not called fairly on both sides. They were calling a tight game against Montreal letting nothing slide, and a loose game against Carolina letting everything slide except for an obvious slash on Lats and a high stick. Well Meier was anyways, L'Ecuyer made all legit calls. When Kovalev gets called for slashing, yet a 'Cane slashes a Hab stick and it breaks with no call somethings wrong. And whoever dove on the O'Byrne penalty....I give him a 9.0

Who knows, there's definitely different standards with different referees but for the most part they are fairly consistent. I didn't watch the game so you have me there but I'm just challenging you guys because you seem to think penalties should always be evenly distributed. And the stick breaking = automatic slashing penalty is bullshit. Composite sticks break like nothing.

alias
12-20-2008, 02:23 AM
Who knows, there's definitely different standards with different referees but for the most part they are fairly consistent. I didn't watch the game so you have me there but I'm just challenging you guys because you seem to think penalties should always be evenly distributed. And the stick breaking = automatic slashing penalty is bullshit. Composite sticks break like nothing.

never said they should be evenly distributed. just said that both teams should be held to the same standards.

alias
12-20-2008, 02:40 AM
for my fellow Habs fans who have an interest in the team's history....

http://ourhistory.canadiens.com/home

I could spend days at this site....extremely detailed and informative....

Dubz
12-20-2008, 10:01 AM
Any word on the Price situation? This was all Ive found anyhow.

Dec 19 G Carey Price has an undisclosed lower body injury. The Canadiens had hoped he would be back for Thursday's game against Philadelphia but though he has resumed skating by himself, he may not play until after Christmas.Ive also read knee. I was thinking of sending Halak over for Auld but wouldnt want to do that if this is a long term thing.

This is some pretty old news here from the 15th

Carey Price may be out of action until after Christmas.
His lower-body injury is expected to keep him on the shelf at least until the middle of this week and possibly longer. The injury is believed to be to his hip or his groin. Stay tuned.
Source: Montreal Gazette (http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Canadiens+pain+Maxwell+gain/1076145/story.html)
Thanks guys

alias
12-20-2008, 02:11 PM
Any word on the Price situation? This was all Ive found anyhow.

Ive also read knee. I was thinking of sending Halak over for Auld but wouldnt want to do that if this is a long term thing.

This is some pretty old news here from the 15th

Thanks guys

There is an outside shot Price plays Sunday. It was not a groin or hip. It started in his left quad and moved down to his knee....

http://habsinsideout.com/main/12812

Motorcat
12-20-2008, 02:33 PM

I was at the game - I try to set aside my bias and post back accurate info when I do post about the Hurricanes.

I gonna have to say I think your fandom is clouding your judgement. The Hurricanes played a relatively penalty free game that night. I don't see how you can say it was called tight on your team and losse on mine.

I call BS call on that Penalty shot and like I mentioned in the almost year old article you posted about the Canes diving is total reaching.

Yeah, I live and die by my team to but I do take off the rose colored glasses every once and awhile and can admit when their struggling or playing like a rec team.

We basically have owned you guys the last few years - were all those defeats the officials fault as well ?

phaneuf6
12-20-2008, 02:53 PM
There is an outside shot Price plays Sunday. It was not a groin or hip. It started in his left quad and moved down to his knee....

That probably means its just his quad then. The quad is the muscle that stabilizes the knee so if your quad goes, your knee becomes really weak.

alias
12-20-2008, 03:28 PM
I was at the game - I try to set aside my bias and post back accurate info when I do post about the Hurricanes.

I gonna have to say I think your fandom is clouding your judgement. The Hurricanes played a relatively penalty free game that night. I don't see how you can say it was called tight on your team and losse on mine.

I call BS call on that Penalty shot and like I mentioned in the almost year old article you posted about the Canes diving is total reaching.

Yeah, I live and die by my team to but I do take off the rose colored glasses every once and awhile and can admit when their struggling or playing like a rec team.

You can't say this is the first time the Canes have been called out for diving. Its been going on for a while....

***Now my intention with this article is not to prove that they are divers, but that they have been accused of it quite a bit.***

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/15430-nhl-carolina-hurricanes-built-for-speed

The writer (named Motorhead....is that you? lol) does state that he doesn't *think* the Canes dive but offers this....

"There are a couple of things that stood out to me during my review of these numbers. While it seems like the refs sometimes do a pretty poor job of calling a game and allow many things to go unpunished, according to these stats it seems like they have been more than generous to the Hurricanes, compared to several other teams in the league.

The bottom line is that I don’t necessarily think that Staal and Cole are "divers".
I will admit that sometimes they go down pretty easily, but faster skaters are easier to take down. It’s also extremely difficult to stop either of those players, one on one, without hooking or holding them. "

We basically have owned you guys the last few years - were all those defeats the officials fault as well ?

Seriously? Come on now Motor, I have been pretty specific about this game only and never mentioned past Canadiens-Hurricanes games.

But since you brought it up, just for fun I looked it up. No rose-coloured glasses, just facts. The last 6 games (before the Dec 16th game) each team has 3 wins, so I wouldn't say you've owned us. The penalties in those 6 games are actually pretty even with a total of 39 for Montreal (never more than 8 in 1 game) and 44 for Carolina (remember this is not including the 11-1 debacle from the other night). In only 1 game did Montreal take more penalties than Carolina. So the trend is that the teams both take their fair share of penalties when they play eachother. In fact Carolina takes a few more and Montreal has shown to be slightly more disciplined. No game had the penalty difference be more than 3. Why was the last game so lopsided? Did both teams really have a complete turn around in play for that one game? I find that pretty hard to believe.

Motorcat
12-20-2008, 03:48 PM
Your right - its a conspiracy .... the NHL loves its Raleigh based franchise so much that their not going to call penalties on us.

I'm not Motorhead and go back further than 6 games and include playoffs.

We play a disciplined game that is speed based (2nd least penalized team in the league last I checked) that also tags us as one of the softest teams in the league.

Diving - until the other night when your coach started crying about it - that was the first we have heard about it in a very long time.

Just about everybody that posted in response to you said every penalty on you guys was a valid one. I even mentioned you all were gifted with a penalty shot on a bogus call - yeah, the refs really had it out for you all that night.

Re-match in Montreal tomorrow night - lets see what excuses are made after that game.

:rolleyes:

Dubz
12-20-2008, 03:49 PM

alias
12-20-2008, 05:11 PM
I'm not Motorhead and go back further than 6 games and include playoffs.

I only looked at games from this year and last year. We didn't meet in the last playoffs. Anything before that and the teams are quite different IMO and don't have much relevance.

Diving - until the other night when your coach started crying about it - that was the first we have heard about it in a very long time.

Ummm....the article I posted contradicts that. It was written 9 months ago (4 months of regular season hockey ago). The Panthers and Hurricanes had a big kerfuffle last year about diving....on both sides around that time. So you can't say this is the first time in a long time. You want me to back more than a year and a half to look up games but I can't go that far back to look for diving complaints? Oh and where was Carbo crying about it? When asked point blank he said "I really don't want to talk about it. You saw the game...." He enver brought it up, the reporters did.

http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip122305#clip122305

Keep grasping....

Motorcat
12-20-2008, 06:11 PM
me grasping ... please.

I guess history only applies when its the last two years and supports your side of the story - you got me there.

Don't dare look back to 2002 or dare I say even 2005.

:rolleyes:

A nine month old article after we laid a beat down on the Panthers is all you can find ? Sense you love current relevance, find me something since.

My tickets included the game - not a pass into the locker room for interviews. The comments I heard were from media, post game and the next day saying Carbonneau spent a good amount of time during the game and after complaining about the officiating.

Spare me the one sided arguments and selected facts that only support your jaded point of view.

alias
12-20-2008, 08:42 PM
me grasping ... please.

I guess history only applies when its the last two years and supports your side of the story - you got me there.

Don't dare look back to 2002 or dare I say even 2005.

:rolleyes: Of course you choose the 2 years when the Hurricanes made the finals (I assume by 2005 you mean the '06 playoffs). I guess those 2 specific years suit your side of the story best right? My point was that the teams in 2002 and dare I say 2005 were different. A team that may be considered divers now may not always have been deemed as such. So them not being divers in 2002 or 2005 has absolutely no relevance on whether they did last year, or this year. In this circumstance only recent history would apply since last years team would most resemble this years team. You want to go back? How about all time? Canadiens are 89-53-20 against Hartford/Carolina and are 23-16 in the playoffs. Or did you only want to talk about 2 random years?

A nine month old article after we laid a beat down on the Panthers is all you can find ? Sense you love current relevance, find me something since.

My tickets included the game - not a pass into the locker room for interviews. The comments I heard were from media, post game and the next day saying Carbonneau spent a good amount of time during the game and after complaining about the officiating.

That 9 month old article was written not because of 1 incident but because of a trend that others were seeing. It obviously doesn't happen every game (even Kovalev in his hey-day didn't dive EVERY game) but it does happen. And all I have on Carbo is that interview so if he did complain afterwards I didn't know about it.

Spare me the one sided arguments and selected facts that only support your jaded point of view.

I have a ton of respect for you Motor but you too have selected facts and your views aren't so crystal clear either.

Motorcat
12-20-2008, 08:51 PM
Well lets leave it at then.

HABS_FrEaK
12-21-2008, 09:52 PM
Great win tonight, 4 - 2 Habs........:rolleyes:
________
THE CIGAR BOSS (http://thecigarboss.com/)

Motorcat
12-21-2008, 10:49 PM
^ Make that 3-2 Hurricanes in OT

Hurricanes take the season series 3-0-1, 7 points to 4.

Good luck the rest of the way - make sure you stick it to the Sabres for us.

:beer:

alias
12-21-2008, 10:57 PM
was the ref calling a penalty on the Habs during that OT goal? His arm was up before it went in....

Motorcat
12-21-2008, 11:01 PM
was the ref calling a penalty on the Habs during that OT goal? His arm was up before it went in....

LOL - now you want the penalty .... your killing me.

No TV down here tonight - all I have is the FINAL box score.

phaneuf6
12-21-2008, 11:06 PM
^ Make that 3-2 Hurricanes in OT

Hurricanes take the season series 3-0-1, 7 points to 4.

Good luck the rest of the way - make sure you stick it to the Sabres for us.

:beer:
... how did Montreal get 4 points?

Motorcat
12-21-2008, 11:12 PM
... how did Montreal get 4 points?

1 win in OT for 2 pts

2 losses in OT for 2 pts

1 loss in regulation for 0 pts

phaneuf6
12-21-2008, 11:14 PM
1 win in OT for 2 pts

2 losses in OT for 2 pts

1 loss in regulation for 0 pts

Ah. I probably should have thought that through. :lol:

So it seems Montreal isn't the real deal after all. Too much hype last year because of Kovalev's season. I'd like to see them get it back on track.

alias
12-21-2008, 11:25 PM
LOL - now you want the penalty .... your killing me.

No TV down here tonight - all I have is the FINAL box score.

No I ask because on the Cullen penalty the puck went in but they blew the whistle cuz Ward touched it (didn't have control) and they called it no goal. We ended up scoring on the PP anyways, but if there was a Hab penalty why didn't the ref call it once Price touched it like he did when Ward touched it?

Motorcat
12-21-2008, 11:36 PM
Guess it goes back to that conspiracy thing.

;)

Can't you just congratulate me on the win like I did the Boston fans yesterday?

And I'm still baffled by how Habs _freak comes out of the shoot with a 4- 2 win for you all tonight.

:freak:

HABS_FrEaK
12-22-2008, 12:16 AM
Guess it goes back to that conspiracy thing.

;)

Can't you just congratulate me on the win like I did the Boston fans yesterday?

And I'm still baffled by how Habs _freak comes out of the shoot with a 4- 2 win for you all tonight.

:freak:

Did you not see the :rolleyes: smiley....its because we had 2 goals taken away, one was on the Cullen penalty so I guess you could say that we got it back on the PP but the other one was a wayyyyy early whistle...Ward never had control of the puck.

And yeah Alias there was a penalty on the goal in OT but for some reason he didnt blow the play dead when Price touched it JUST LIKE THEY DID WHEN WARD TOUCHED IT....

Anyways in all honesty we probably didnt deserve the win but the reffs really pissed me off tonight...theres nothing I hate more than early whistles...

Also this time last year we actually had a worse record (40 pts compared to 42) so its not looking that bad. Kovalev has started turing it around of late and the PP is doing MUCH better.
________
Lovely Wendie (http://www.lovelywendie99.com/)

alias
12-22-2008, 02:11 AM
Did you not see the :rolleyes: smiley....its because we had 2 goals taken away, one was on the Cullen penalty so I guess you could say that we got it back on the PP but the other one was a wayyyyy early whistle...Ward never had control of the puck.

And yeah Alias there was a penalty on the goal in OT but for some reason he didnt blow the play dead when Price touched it JUST LIKE THEY DID WHEN WARD TOUCHED IT....

Anyways in all honesty we probably didnt deserve the win but the reffs really pissed me off tonight...theres nothing I hate more than early whistles...

Also this time last year we actually had a worse record (40 pts compared to 42) so its not looking that bad. Kovalev has started turing it around of late and the PP is doing MUCH better.

I agree we didn't deserve that one. Consistency has been an issue, the last 2 games the Habs played very well and this one was a pretty dull showing. And for many it seems Kovalev is playing poorly, but he has 26 pts compared to 26 pts at the 32 game mark last year so he's right on track. Plus when he scores he scores in bunches. I'm not worried.

Motorcat
12-22-2008, 09:25 AM
Well like I said guys - no TV down here last night so your going to have to at least clue me in on why the rolling eyes. Without knowing the details it just looks mis-represented.

Thanks for the congratulations - I find this typical of most Habs fans I encounter ...... plenty of excuses and very little acknowledgements.

I take back what I said - I hope you guys have much success agianst the Sabres but I hope every other team comes in and rails you guys.

Much like the Hurricanes - I'm done with you guys..... you all are in complete denial.

alias
12-22-2008, 10:15 PM
Habs_Freak did explain the rolling eyes. The very early whistles on 2 of Montreal's non-goals, and the whistle on the Cullen penalty when no Hurricane player had possesion of the puck.

Sorry, I don't hand out congratulations or compliments that I don't believe are merited. I am of the opinion that the Hurricanes absolutely stole those 4 points. You obviously are not of the same opinion and that is fine.

I hope the Hurricanes miss the playoffs....again.

Denial? What exactly are we in denial about? That the Canes dive? Or the refs calling an uneven game? Looks like you're in denial about how much of a diver Staal is. At least Eddie agrees with me.

YouTube - Eddie the Eagle takes Flight

Motorcat
12-22-2008, 10:42 PM
I'm not the one blaming the refs for my teams ineptness the last few years but one thing is for sure we have the Habs number.

Your 3-2 shoot win on OCT 28th ended a 6 game losing streak to us and like I mentioned we nailed you guys again this year.

And Habs_Freak explain it after the fact - not in his initial post.

From Maurice - after yesterdays game.

"I think, matter of fact, they may have gotten a break. It should have been a penalty. You're not allowed to kick the goaltender in the National Hockey League. I'm not sure, maybe in this province it's different.

And finally I love this post I found on another board.

The Habs are always fun to beat, mainly because of their fans. They boo Samsonov who sticks it to 'em with a great individual effort for a goal and a seeing eye feed to Staal for an assist. They boo the refs. They boo their own PP. They boo their PK. They boo Kovalev and Markov. Why? Because they're Russians. If Belarus counts, they boo the Kostitsyns. When their beloved Habs lose, they sit there in a state of suspended disbelief with this "Who cut the cheese?" expression on their faces. They're nowhere near as rude, crude and belligerent as Sabres fans ... but, in their own elitist, French Canadian way, they're just as much fun to beat. Maybe even more so. Deux points pour Samsonov. Deux points pour les Canes. Un point pour vous. Regrette ce sujet.

Probably best I stay off this thread from here on out but its hard not shooting fish in barrel when the opportunity presents itself.

phaneuf6
12-22-2008, 11:02 PM
Man, the way you guys go on in this thread, the Habs should be 82-0 this season no questions asked. And if they lose? Referees have been paid off obviously.

WinnipegWingnut
12-23-2008, 10:40 AM
The Habs are always fun to beat, mainly because of their fans. They boo Samsonov who sticks it to 'em with a great individual effort for a goal and a seeing eye feed to Staal for an assist. They boo the refs. They boo their own PP. They boo their PK. They boo Kovalev and Markov. Why? Because they're Russians. If Belarus counts, they boo the Kostitsyns. When their beloved Habs lose, they sit there in a state of suspended disbelief with this "Who cut the cheese?" expression on their faces. They're nowhere near as rude, crude and belligerent as Sabres fans ... but, in their own elitist, French Canadian way, they're just as much fun to beat. Maybe even more so. Deux points pour Samsonov. Deux points pour les Canes. Un point pour vous. Regrette ce sujet.

This is GREAT!!! And being related to a few, definitely describes Habs fans to a T!! haha

Man, the way you guys go on in this thread, the Habs should be 82-0 this season no questions asked. And if they lose? Referees have been paid off obviously.

:lol: :yes:

alias
12-23-2008, 12:53 PM

relax dude. blow things out of proportion much? please find me any time where I ever blamed the refs for anything before the dec 16th debacle. You admitted you didn't see the game, and if you didn't see the games or the plays that are talked about, your opinions & statements don't mean shit! You can have no opinion on something you didn't witness. Then you make comments about too much hype cuz of Kovalev's last season. You do realize he has the exact same amount of points at this point last year right? And that the Habs have more points than they did at this point last year? I've mentioned in this thread multiple times the poor play by the Habs in quite a few games this year so I obviously don't think that unless they're 82-0 its the refs doing. Get your facts straight bud. If you don't know what you're talking about (and here you clearly don't) don't bother posting unless you're going to actually contribute something worthwhile. I'm done on this subject. The Canes and Habs don't play anymore this year so it's done.

HABS_FrEaK
12-24-2008, 03:15 PM
I even said I didnt think the Habs deserved the win...you just can't deny the fact that there was to early whistles.....

I do 100% agree, as I have stated before, that it fucking stupid how habs fans seem to boo EVERYTHING and they will want a penalty called anytime a Habs player falls on the ice...

I don't usually bitch about the reffs...well not more than any other sports fan anyways..but when you get 11 - 1 penalties one game and 2 goals taken away another game I will bitch just like any of you would.

Also Motor I can't deny the fact that the Canes have had our number for a few years now...couldnt be happier we dont play you guys anymore this year.

My hatred for the Canes is reaching a Boston/Toronto level....
________
Xv700 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Yamaha_XV700)

bearcats
12-25-2008, 03:00 PM
any of you hab fans got any word on Saku's timetable for return, injured on the 11th and they said 2 weeks so it should be soon right?

WinnipegWingnut
12-25-2008, 04:27 PM
any of you hab fans got any word on Saku's timetable for return, injured on the 11th and they said 2 weeks so it should be soon right?

He hit the IR a day or two ago, so that means he has to miss at least 8 games I believe from the time of the injury.

keyboard
12-25-2008, 04:50 PM
YouTube - Eddie the Eagle takes Flight (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLY8JMV1eTw)That video is awesome. That dive was pretty bad.

alias
12-26-2008, 05:45 PM

He should return Jan. 2nd vs. the Devils. He has been skating at the new practice facility since at least the 17th and like WW said he has to miss at least 8 games so the earliest he could return would be that day.

wrongtong
12-26-2008, 06:30 PM
please please help... i know its not fantasy but you guys are so knowledgable!
can anyone tell me the dates for the following:

carey prices first win
(my guess is oct. 1, 2007)

carey prices first shutout
(my guess is feb. 16, 2008)

can anyone confirm these dates!!!!! thanks guys i really appreicate it!

alias
12-26-2008, 07:05 PM
please please help... i know its not fantasy but you guys are so knowledgable!
can anyone tell me the dates for the following:

carey prices first win
(my guess is oct. 1, 2007)

carey prices first shutout
(my guess is feb. 16, 2008)

can anyone confirm these dates!!!!! thanks guys i really appreicate it!

lol answered in the fantasy forum before I saw it here....