PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Avalanche

Pages : [1] 2

ABC.com
10-13-2008, 11:35 AM
Well i'm pretty pleased with his performance so far . . .

but is he going to keep it up . . . how is the avs offense looking . . .

lektrix
10-13-2008, 12:03 PM
Avs will slow down, they won't make the playoffs this year.

Hockeyis#1
10-13-2008, 12:17 PM
Hejduk is another example of a 1 season wonder. He's a good forward, just not a great/elite forward. He'll cool off.

As for the rest of the Avs, unless their goaltending OVERachieves they'll be fighting for that last playoff spot.

cod4us
10-13-2008, 12:23 PM
I too was impressed with Hedjuk. He'll go as far as Stastny carries him. The two read each other pretty well.

The Av's offence looks ok, as they are getting lots of shots on net. They seem to be losing confidence in their goalie though.

dw13
10-13-2008, 02:34 PM
Stastny is his new Forsberg. Hedjuk and the Avs will score goals, that isn't their problem. Their problem is the D and Goalie situation.

fuji9991
10-13-2008, 02:40 PM
I think he'll cool off but still have a better season than he has lately. The Avs have certainly fallen from grace but their young forwards are now very experienced and ready to pick up the pace.

wolski svatos stasny are all performing well let's also take into account that both sakic and smyth had injury riddled seasons last time around. If the avs can stay healthy I can see a decent amount of offense there that he could feed off of.

I don't see why they should be counted out of the playoffs this early in the season.

fleuryfan
11-18-2008, 11:02 AM
Halak's name has been mentioned recently in trade talk involving Colorado, according to the Denver Post.

Spin: The latest rumor has Halak going to the Avs in exchange for defenseman Brett Clark. We're not putting too much stock in this one right now, as we just don't see the Habs letting go of Halak that cheaply. On the other hand, this is the same team that traded Cristobal Huet to the Capitals for a song last season, so anything's possible. If this trade were to happen, Halak would undoubtedly step in as the Avs' number one goaltender which would give his fantasy value a nice bump.

pjm
11-18-2008, 11:45 AM
Is this an Eklund rumor?

narduch
11-18-2008, 11:58 AM
I usually hate trade rumour, but this sounds like one of the more plausible ones.

Sure, Clark probably isn't enough for Halak. But what if the Avs added some draft picks or young prospects?

fleuryfan
11-18-2008, 12:09 PM
this was reported on ESPN

WinnipegWingnut
11-18-2008, 12:13 PM
this was reported on ESPN

:yes: Definitely more reputable than Eklund! I hope this happens!

WinnipegWingnut
11-18-2008, 12:18 PM
Bobby Mac's blog today about Gabby being dealt:

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=256366

alias
11-18-2008, 12:39 PM
I saw this rumour on the HF boards a while back, perhaps ESPN got it from there. I don't know much about Clark, but I can't see Gainey trading an excellent back-up goaltender who has a 0.775 cap hit unless he is getting a bona fide top 4 D-man back. Montreal is in the poition that they would be looking to give away players + picks to get a top 4 D-man as opposed to give away Halak & get another #5-6 D-man (which they are littered with) + picks. Also, Marc Denis becomes the back-up, and while he is doing very well in Hamilton if Price gets hurt our #1 goaltender is Marc Denis! He needs more time down there before I'd be comfortable seeing him be our starter. But, if Clark would come in and is capable of being a #4 D-man (with a hard shot for the PP) that changes things since that would hopefully help our defensive game (we let up a lot of shots) and our PP which has obviously faltered thus far this year due to finding the correct fit on the right point. I'd rather see Gainey go for Liles if COL really wants Halak.

WinnipegWingnut
11-18-2008, 01:04 PM
Also, Marc Denis becomes the back-up, and while he is doing very well in Hamilton if Price gets hurt our #1 goaltender is Marc Denis! He needs more time down there before I'd be comfortable seeing him be our starter.

If Luongo goes down then Sanford is the starter, if Giguere goes down then Hiller is the starter.... what's your point?

If the Habs can deal Halak for picks + Clark I see them doing this in a heartbeat. Denis isn't a push over, he has been amazing with the Bulldogs, has been a #1 goalie in the NHL before on a team with no defense... I really don't see why you're ripping on him so much and why you see this report as far fetched. The Habs would be crazy to not deal Halak while his value is high, because right now they don't need him with Price.

chgorman
11-18-2008, 01:12 PM
Halak's name has been mentioned recently in trade talk involving Colorado, according to the Denver Post.

Spin: The latest rumor has Halak going to the Avs in exchange for defenseman Brett Clark. We're not putting too much stock in this one right now, as we just don't see the Habs letting go of Halak that cheaply. On the other hand, this is the same team that traded Cristobal Huet to the Capitals for a song last season, so anything's possible. If this trade were to happen, Halak would undoubtedly step in as the Avs' number one goaltender which would give his fantasy value a nice bump.

I doubt it. Budaj is playing well, and the Avs obviously have confidence in him, otherwise they woulda traded for/signed somebody else before the start of the season, or at least by now. I could maybe see them splitting to start, but i don't see Halak coming in and being their #1 right off the bat, assuming it even happens. If Budaj starts to shit the bed again consistently, then yeah, Halak could potentially come in and start most of their games right away, but I don't see that happening as long as Budaj continues to play fairly well.

sketchyt
11-18-2008, 01:17 PM
I think Clark is reasonable return for Halak. He's a pretty underrated dman and would fit well in the bottom 2 pairings in Montreal.

Don't forget GM's don't tend to pay a whole lot for backups. I'd say Halak is in a situation similar to that of Bryzgalov in Anaheim. And he was waived.

narduch
11-18-2008, 01:24 PM
Don't forget GM's don't tend to pay a whole lot for backups. I'd say Halak is in a situation similar to that of Bryzgalov in Anaheim. And he was waived.

This is actually a good point. Bryzgalov went for nothing which tells you a lot about the NHL market for goalies. When you add in the fact that there are a bunch of other goalies supposedly on the market (Roloson, Khabibulin, Kolzig come to mind) its no wonder Halak may not fetch as much as some Montreal fans might think.

alias
11-18-2008, 02:03 PM
If Luongo goes down then Sanford is the starter, if Giguere goes down then Hiller is the starter.... what's your point?

If the Habs can deal Halak for picks + Clark I see them doing this in a heartbeat. Denis isn't a push over, he has been amazing with the Bulldogs, has been a #1 goalie in the NHL before on a team with no defense... I really don't see why you're ripping on him so much and why you see this report as far fetched. The Habs would be crazy to not deal Halak while his value is high, because right now they don't need him with Price.

And none of those options would be ideal for a cup run which is the Habs goal this year. Halak is better than Hiller, Sanford, & Denis IMO. Halak could do well in a cup run if heavily relied upon. Denis not so much. He has played 0 NHL playoff games in his 8+ seasons. While Halak only has 2 playoff games, if Price went down I'd rather have Halak than Denis + Clark anyday.

keyboard
11-18-2008, 03:20 PM
And none of those options would be ideal for a cup run which is the Habs goal this year. Halak is better than Hiller, Sanford, & Denis IMO. Halak could do well in a cup run if heavily relied upon. Denis not so much. He has played 0 NHL playoff games in his 8+ seasons. While Halak only has 2 playoff games, if Price went down I'd rather have Halak than Denis + Clark anyday.But then it's a question of what Halak wants. I doubt he's happy knowing he's pretty much always #2 behind Price. And if he isn't happy, his play will reflect it.

WinnipegWingnut
11-18-2008, 03:38 PM
And none of those options would be ideal for a cup run which is the Habs goal this year. Halak is better than Hiller, Sanford, & Denis IMO. Halak could do well in a cup run if heavily relied upon. Denis not so much. He has played 0 NHL playoff games in his 8+ seasons. While Halak only has 2 playoff games, if Price went down I'd rather have Halak than Denis + Clark anyday.

That's all fine and dandy from a fan point of view.... but you don't know what is going on from a business point of view. Maybe Gainey told Halak he'd deal him to another team to be a starter similar to Bryzgalov? Maybe the Habs know they won't be re-signing him (cause it'll cost a hell of a lot more) and want to deal him now to get high return from a desperate team.

Your talking with your homer goggles on right now, which is understandable, but as an unbiased person and not a Habs fan I'm telling you now would be the time to deal him to a desperate team, get solid return for him, especially if you don't plan on dishing out a couple million a year for him when his contract is up in a year and a half. There is a reason why Huet was dealt for cheap, he wasn't part of the Habs long term plans, and Halak isn't either... it's all Price. So if they get a valuable goaltending asset which they aren't going to utilize, you think they are going to hold onto him and let him waste away and then lose him for nothing? or deal him for some solid picks and prospects, or a need somewhere else. Don't kid yourself, it's the latter.

alias
11-18-2008, 03:43 PM
But then it's a question of what Halak wants. I doubt he's happy knowing he's pretty much always #2 behind Price. And if he isn't happy, his play will reflect it.

He wouldn't have signed a 3 year deal this past off-season year if he was unhappy. There has been no talk at all of him being unhapy. He has been very professional and understanding about the situation all along.

Hamsterkill
11-18-2008, 03:53 PM
He wouldn't have signed a 3 year deal this past off-season year if he was unhappy. There has been no talk at all of him being unhapy. He has been very professional and understanding about the situation all along.

I may be mistaken here, but didn't Bryzgalov resign with the Ducks with the understanding that he would be moved?

alias
11-18-2008, 03:58 PM
That's all fine and dandy from a fan point of view.... but you don't know what is going on from a business point of view. Maybe Gainey told Halak he'd deal him to another team to be a starter similar to Bryzgalov? Maybe the Habs know they won't be re-signing him (cause it'll cost a hell of a lot more) and want to deal him now to get high return from a desperate team.

Your talking with your homer goggles on right now, which is understandable, but as an unbiased person and not a Habs fan I'm telling you now would be the time to deal him to a desperate team, get solid return for him, especially if you don't plan on dishing out a couple million a year for him when his contract is up in a year and a half. There is a reason why Huet was dealt for cheap, he wasn't part of the Habs long term plans, and Halak isn't either... it's all Price. So if they get a valuable goaltending asset which they aren't going to utilize, you think they are going to hold onto him and let him waste away and then lose him for nothing? or deal him for some solid picks and prospects, or a need somewhere else. Don't kid yourself, it's the latter.

From a business point of view they have him for 3 years at a ridiculously good pay for the team. The more he plays well the more his value increases. Why trade him now when nobody is really desperate? Why not wait until a team really really needs a goaltender then get top dollar for him? Yes I do believe Gainey told him that he would trade him before his 3 years is up, but I doubt he trades him 2-3 months into the first season of his deal. They have 3 years to hang onto him, they are in no rush to get rid of him for Clark + picks, when they are looking at guys like J-Bo, Ohlund, Bieksa, Barker, Hamhuis even, however Halak may not be the centerpiece of a deal for one of those guys. Why go for a lesser guy this early in the season? Why wouldn't they wait until closer to the deadline? It doesn't make sense and there's no need for Hab glasses to see that.

alias
11-18-2008, 03:59 PM
I may be mistaken here, but didn't Bryzgalov resign with the Ducks with the understanding that he would be moved?

I don't think that wasn't the point Kam was trying to make. It was that Halak may be unhappy & demand a move.

WinnipegWingnut
11-18-2008, 04:01 PM
From a business point of view they have him for 3 years at a ridiculously good pay for the team. The more he plays well the more his value increases. Why trade him now when nobody is really desperate? Why not wait until a team really really needs a goaltender then get top dollar for him? Yes I do believe Gainey told him that he would trade him before his 3 years is up, but I doubt he trades him 2-3 months into the first season of his deal. They have 3 years to hang onto him, they are in no rush to get rid of him for Clark + picks, when they are looking at guys like J-Bo, Ohlund, Bieksa, Barker, Hamhuis even, however Halak may not be the centerpiece of a deal for one of those guys. Why go for a lesser guy this early in the season? Why wouldn't they wait until closer to the deadline? It doesn't make sense and there's no need for Hab glasses to see that.

He has this year and next my friend... so he has about a season and 3/4 left on his deal, not 3 years.

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=MTL&season=0809

narduch
11-18-2008, 04:02 PM
According to NHL numbers Halak only signed a 2-year deal this off season. Not 3 years.

http://nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=MTL&season=0809

alias
11-18-2008, 04:04 PM
He has this year and next my friend... so he has about a season and 3/4 left on his deal, not 3 years.

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=MTL&season=0809

you're right, my bad. but I think the original game plan was to wait until at least this years trade deadline before making a move. and it is still early into his 2 year contract.

WinnipegWingnut
11-18-2008, 04:07 PM
you're right, my bad. but I think the original game plan was to wait until at least this years trade deadline before making a move. and it is still early into his 2 year contract.

I'm not saying he'll be dealt tomorrow, but the more desperate teams get as the playoffs get closer the more return the Habs will get. He'll be gone by the deadline IMO, as the other options out there (Khabby, Rolli, Fernandez) are much to pricey for most teams.

Colorado is one of those teams that has great talent up front, but their goaltending is hindering them. I'd expect them to up their ante a tad more each week and month we get closer to the trade deadline.

eff1ngham
11-18-2008, 04:24 PM
Brett Clark is an underrated defenseman. Since he's come to Colorado (the only time I've seen him play) he's been solid. He put up 36 and 39 points, and was on his way to something similar last year before he got hurt. Plus he can log good minutes, stay positive and can fill in on the powerplay if needed. He's also become a pretty good shot blocker. I've enjoyed watching him because even though he isn't flashy you know he's giving solid minutes and rarely makes mistakes. Of course that being said I'd like to see them get a good young goaltender because a lot of our prospects have not turned out the way we wanted.

I did hear rumors that the Avs wanted to trade Jordan Leopold for Antione Vermette, too. But I don't see them moving two defensemen

alias
11-18-2008, 04:26 PM
but eklund is reporting a big signing in Montreal today! Shanahan? and don't worry, he's staying on top of it for us! :rolleyes: Perhaps this "announcement" will include Halak but I doubt it. Sounds more like a signing if anything, which is odd since Gainey apparantly doesn't like to re-sign patially through the season. F'in Eklund....

alias
11-18-2008, 04:28 PM
Brett Clark is an underrated defenseman. Since he's come to Colorado (the only time I've seen him play) he's been solid. He put up 36 and 39 points, and was on his way to something similar last year before he got hurt. Plus he can log good minutes, stay positive and can fill in on the powerplay if needed. He's also become a pretty good shot blocker. I've enjoyed watching him because even though he isn't flashy you know he's giving solid minutes and rarely makes mistakes. Of course that being said I'd like to see them get a good young goaltender because a lot of our prospects have not turned out the way we wanted.

I did hear rumors that the Avs wanted to trade Jordan Leopold for Antione Vermette, too. But I don't see them moving two defensemen

Thanks for that, I haven't really heard much of anything about Clark. How is he offensively? I know you said he can fill in on the PP but Montreal is looking more for a Souray/Streit type of role (LH with a hard accurate shot). Do you think Clark can fill that?

WinnipegWingnut
11-18-2008, 05:05 PM
Thanks for that, I haven't really heard much of anything about Clark. How is he offensively? I know you said he can fill in on the PP but Montreal is looking more for a Souray/Streit type of role (LH with a hard accurate shot). Do you think Clark can fill that?

He did nicely two years ago when Liles was injured FWIW.

eff1ngham
11-18-2008, 06:41 PM
Offensively, he moves the puck well, is left handed and has a hard shot. I don't know if he could be a full time PP2 defenseman (our PP1 unit only has Liles, and PP2 is usually Salei and Leopold), but he's done a nice job when given the chance. He had 4 PPGs and 10 PPAs in each of the last 2 years he was healthy

flock-raven
11-19-2008, 02:46 PM
I wouldn't get all excited about Halak signing a two year deal, saying that it makes him love Montreal. If he was an UFA he would have signed with someone else...

eff1ngham
01-18-2009, 10:45 PM
Congrats to Ryan Smyth and to Milan Hejduk. They both scored their 300th career goals tonight in the win over Calgary :yes:

beanz
01-19-2009, 12:15 PM
Congrats to Ryan Smyth and to Milan Hejduk. They both scored their 300th career goals tonight in the win over Calgary :yes:

they were only the second pair of teammates to both complete this feat in NHL history correct? thats pretty impressive. these two stay hot, the Avs can snag a playoff spot. they just need consistent goal tending.

b_illin
01-21-2009, 09:53 PM
My friend Chris Durno just got called up!

toronto1979
01-24-2009, 03:03 PM
they just need consistent goal tending.
Call up Weiman!

eff1ngham
04-13-2009, 03:42 PM
Avs fire Francois Giguere:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AlHUUsFO7vglY3.__MYW.kJ7vLYF?slug=ap-avalanche-gmfired&prov=ap&type=lgns

Maybe we can just have Pierre run the team for a few months to get things back on track :lol:

two24four
04-13-2009, 04:01 PM
I heard a rumour that Patrick Roy will be coaching the Avs before the start of next season on the radio late last week.

Katharsis
04-13-2009, 04:02 PM
I heard a rumour that Patrick Roy will be coaching the Avs before the start of next season on the radio late last week.

And suddenly Budaj and Raycroft have boxing added to their offseason training schedules...

HABS_FrEaK
04-13-2009, 07:18 PM

I would be so fucking happy if that happened! I could stop worrying about him getting the Habs coaching job next year

Hamsterkill
04-13-2009, 08:16 PM
And suddenly Budaj and Raycroft have boxing added to their offseason training schedules...
... And Colorado mysteriously signs Jonathan Roy.

Spartan
05-18-2009, 12:17 PM
Surprised not to see this here yet.

Report: Roy offered Avs' coaching job

ESPN.com news services

The Colorado Avalanche (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/clubhouse?team=col) have offered Hall of Fame goaltender Patrick Roy (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/players/profile?playerId=804) their head coaching job, The Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_12393139) reported Monday.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0508/nhl_g_roy1_sw_65.jpg Roy

Roy, who retired with the Avs in 2003 and was inducted into the Hall in 2006, would take over for Tony Granato (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/players/profile?playerId=317), who has two years remaining on his contract and hadn't been told he was fired, according to the newspaper. Roy, the co-owner, general manager and coach of major-junior hockey's Quebec Remparts, was considering the offer from the Avs, the report said, citing multiple NHL sources who are close to Roy. A message left on Roy's voice mail by ESPN.com was not returned Monday. Roy's assistant told ESPN.com that he was playing golf and wasn't immediately available. "Patrick is a very deliberate guy who analyzes everything," Jacques Demers, who coached Roy's Montreal Canadiens (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/clubhouse?team=mon) to the 1993 Stanley Cup, told The Denver Post. "He's not necessarily going to take the first job that might come along. He's going to want to go into a situation he thinks is on the right track and that he's going to feel comfortable with." Roy confirmed Saturday to ESPN.com that he met with Avs president Pierre Lacroix last week in the wake of Francois Giguere's firing as GM last month. "I went out there to visit him," Roy said. "He had his surgery about 10 days ago. I also had friends in town that I wanted to go and see. "But we did talk a bit about my future," Roy added. "He wanted to know what was my future, but that's about it for now." Roy helped lead the Avalanche to two Stanley Cup championships, in 1996 and 2001. The Avs finished this season last in the West with the fewest goals in the NHL at 199.
Information from ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun was used in this report.

boredguy
05-18-2009, 01:18 PM
Roy says he wasn't offered a job

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/05/18/roy_avs_offer/

eff1ngham
06-03-2009, 07:36 PM
Granato, and basically all of the rest of the coaches are out. Our assistant GM is now in charge.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=Anh1Cnc0xfMTP7uchvFi6m57vLYF?slug=ap-avalanche-shakeup&prov=ap&type=lgns

Good thing he's got all that money available to spend :scared:

phaneuf6
06-03-2009, 08:55 PM
Any word on Sakic?

eff1ngham
06-03-2009, 10:14 PM
Not really. But I have a hard time believing he'd want to go out like this

two24four
06-03-2009, 10:32 PM
Any word on Sakic?

I think he will be back for one more year at least, the Olympics are pretty much in his back yard in Feb, I'm sure he will do everything he can to play at least till they are over.

two24four
06-05-2009, 12:02 PM
What are they thinking bringing in Joe Sacco as the head coach, he has coached in the AHL for the past two seasons & has a record well below .500. & miss the playoffs both years.

phaneuf6
06-05-2009, 05:05 PM
I think he will be back for one more year at least, the Olympics are pretty much in his back yard in Feb, I'm sure he will do everything he can to play at least till they are over.

Yeah, I was talking about this with a buddy the other day. Will they give Sakic a spot on the team? There's so much depth at C..

b_illin
06-05-2009, 05:13 PM
What are they thinking bringing in Joe Sacco as the head coach, he has coached in the AHL for the past two seasons & has a record well below .500. & miss the playoffs both years.

future scapegoat?

eff1ngham
06-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Most of Lake Erie was playing for the Avs by the end of the season, why not bring their coach up as well :lol:

Seriously though, this could just be a move to keep Pat Roy's seat warm until he gets here

eff1ngham
06-16-2009, 01:54 PM
Jonas Gustavsson made Colorado his first stop on his four-city trip. He'd been talked to Peter Forsberg about what it was like to play here. Sure would be nice to sign him, I've heard great things about his play.

On a side note, it sucks that Lappy is going to be a free agent. The Avs made him a lowball offer, which he declined. Too bad we have so much money tied up in players who suck

toronto1979
06-16-2009, 02:42 PM
Jonas Gustavsson made Colorado his first stop on his four-city trip.

... because he hopes to end up in Toronto. ;)

phaneuf6
06-16-2009, 05:12 PM
Colorado would be an ideal situation for any goalie looking to sign.. I mean its pretty much a guaranteed starting spot.. Khabibulin?

eff1ngham
07-07-2009, 04:36 PM
Any word on Sakic?

He's hanging them up:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4311866

phaneuf6
07-07-2009, 04:52 PM
He's hanging them up:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4311866

:( Wanted to see him captain Team Canada in 2010.

narduch
07-07-2009, 04:54 PM
Colorado would be an ideal situation for any goalie looking to sign.. I mean its pretty much a guaranteed starting spot.. Khabibulin?

The Avs are quickly becoming a 'have not' team.

They are trying to not spend very much money.

If I'm a player like Gustavsson that is the last type of market I'd go to. Dallas and Toronto were the last 2 standing for a reason.

canuckthug
07-07-2009, 08:20 PM

I did as well but it might have been a gamble because hes been sidelined so long. Im thinkin John Toews has a very legitimate shot at making the squad now. Plus he wears 19! Centre is packed with talent so i guess thats the only positive out his unfortunate retirement.

Sakic -- very exciting to watch. one of the greats!! :beer::beer:

Hamsterkill
07-07-2009, 08:22 PM
Yeah, another lock for first-ballot Hall entry.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
07-08-2009, 01:52 AM
:sadwave:

HT9
07-08-2009, 02:30 AM
Would have been nice to see Burnaby Joe playing in Vancouver again. Great career he had.

Chilly_Willy
07-08-2009, 10:57 AM

I belive he is still elidgible to play as long as he is named to the team before jan 1st but it is probably a long shot.

What an outstanding career, class act, uber points, trophies up wazoo, one of the most dominant and consistant players on one of the most dominant teams of the 90's. Acceptance to HOF will just be a formality. Thanks for all the exciting hockey.

canuckthug
07-08-2009, 10:46 PM
Just a reminder:

"The Avalanche have called a news conference for Thursday at 3pm et/12pm pt, where according to local reports they will announce Sakic's retirement."Hope this link works. Haven't watched it yet, just posted it straight up. TOP 10 Sakic moments!!!
http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip191438#clip191438

:beer:

eff1ngham
10-16-2009, 12:35 PM
Congrats to Ryan O'Reilly on his first NHL. Pretty good way to get your first one too :beer:

Rocklobster
10-16-2009, 01:10 PM
damn i want my own nhl too.

alias
10-18-2009, 03:24 PM
holy crap. colorado is first in the west.

phaneuf6
10-18-2009, 04:49 PM
Nice first goal by Duchene last night. First of many.

eff1ngham
10-18-2009, 06:57 PM
He's generated a lot of great scoring chances so far this year. Hopefully netting that first one will help the goals flow a little better from here on out :)

phaneuf6
10-18-2009, 09:06 PM
He's moving in with Adam Foote tomorrow.

Chilly_Willy
10-19-2009, 12:30 PM
Good news about Duchene staying with the team this year. He is looking Dynamite out there.

szuturon
10-21-2009, 08:20 AM
Is Anderson for real?

canuckthug
10-21-2009, 07:00 PM
Is Anderson for real?

The Avalanche have been outshot everygame yet they still win... That statistic wont last if it continues!! But I think its too early to say if Anderson is the real deal. If the Avs are still winning and Anderson's numbers are still solid in one months time, then it might be safe to say the Avs are for real.

Chilly_Willy
10-22-2009, 07:51 AM
Last night was a bummer to have the lead and then have it forced to a shootout and settle for one point. Hope it doesn't blow the confidence of a young team and they can keep the intensity. Do you guys like Joe Sacco so far?

eff1ngham
10-23-2009, 03:56 PM
To be honest, I don't think coaching the NHL really makes much of a difference. It's just about keeping the players motivated so they give 100%. If a coach can do that, then I like them, but the way it goes now, NHL team go through coaches so often that it's tough to like or dislike a coach. A guy could be great with one team and lousy with another because of how the players respond, even if they do the exact same thing with both teams.

I do like that Sacco, and the whole coaching staff brings playing experience and energy to the team. With a group of young players (what's the average age of the Avs, like 23) you can't get them thinking about game situations, you just have to tell them "you go balls to the wall every single shift" and hopefully the right things happen. So far it's working out :beer:

Avaholic
10-23-2009, 06:06 PM
To be honest, I don't think coaching the NHL really makes much of a difference. It's just about keeping the players motivated so they give 100%. If a coach can do that, then I like them, but the way it goes now, NHL team go through coaches so often that it's tough to like or dislike a coach. A guy could be great with one team and lousy with another because of how the players respond, even if they do the exact same thing with both teams.

I do like that Sacco, and the whole coaching staff brings playing experience and energy to the team. With a group of young players (what's the average age of the Avs, like 23) you can't get them thinking about game situations, you just have to tell them "you go balls to the wall every single shift" and hopefully the right things happen. So far it's working out :beer:

Agreed. I will say that I think Sacco and the staff have done an excellent job in turning around special teams, which may have some more "x's and o's" involved.

And I don't need to see any more - Anderson is the real deal. He was what...3rd in the NHL in save % for the Panthers last year, and is now shutting teams down for the Avalanche? He's so calm in net, and has made every big save we've needed to hang in games and eventually win them. Best FA signing of the offseason.

Hamsterkill
10-24-2009, 08:48 PM
Any of you think Anderson might play his way onto the US Olympic team instead of Quick or Dipietro?

canuckthug
10-24-2009, 10:42 PM
Agreed. I will say that I think Sacco and the staff have done an excellent job in turning around special teams, which may have some more "x's and o's" involved.

And I don't need to see any more - Anderson is the real deal. He was what...3rd in the NHL in save % for the Panthers last year, and is now shutting teams down for the Avalanche? He's so calm in net, and has made every big save we've needed to hang in games and eventually win them. Best FA signing of the offseason.

Put Ned Flanders back in the net !! :mad: (hes so good)

Damn Anderson:
49 shots, 48 saves. Another solid game. Looks like you guys got an undisputed #1. Good for you guys.

Any of you think Anderson might play his way onto the US Olympic team instead of Quick or Dipietro?
Quick or Dipitero. What about Tim Thomas?

Hamsterkill
10-25-2009, 12:12 AM
Quick or Dipitero. What about Tim Thomas?

Thomas and Miller are considered supposed locks barring extraordinary circumstances. The 3rd US goalie spot is the one that has some question around it.

Avaholic
10-25-2009, 04:02 AM
Mike Babcock on Craig Anderson:

"Their goaltender right now is in the zone, and when your goalie is in the zone, and we've seen it before with this franchise with Patrick, it allows them to battle harder and take more chances, and right now that team is playing with a lot of confidence."

Craig Anderson, 11 straight starts: 8 wins, 2 OT/SO losses, 1 regulation loss. :beer::hic::beer:

2-0 vs. the Red Wings. :D

Chilly_Willy
11-08-2009, 01:49 AM
I'm curious how you guys feel about Tucker, looks like he is getting ready to come back. As successful as the team is right now and the youngsters all gell'n and in the zone is bringing old man tucker in gonna be good.

HABS_FrEaK
11-12-2009, 10:13 PM
Well they were 7 - 1 - 2 with him in the line up...

Avaholic
11-14-2009, 05:49 AM
Of course we'd welcome Tucker back into our lineup. He's a semi-rare combination of grit and scoring ability. He's scored 20 goals in 5 different years of his career. Our youth and hustle/tenacity needs some veteran support which Tucker provides. I was very Anti-Tucker when we signed him and in his first year (when it was common to replace the T with an F) but he seems to be buying in this season, and we are finally getting the player we wanted all along.

Still early, we will judge the returns over time.

The Colorado Rockies GM Dan O'Dowd just won the baseball GM of the Year, as voted by his peers. Could Greg Sherman, age 39, be next in line for the state of Colorado?? Craig Anderson seems like quite the FA steal.

Kyle
11-16-2009, 03:57 PM
Pretty safe to say the Avs and Anderson have landed.;)

Chilly_Willy
11-17-2009, 11:26 AM
Well they were 7 - 1 - 2 with him in the line up...

Tucker out 5-3
Tucker in 0-2

Just kidding everyone.

They are still at .500 over that whole stretch above with a few overtime points trown in. Not bad.

eff1ngham
11-19-2009, 10:07 AM
Even though it sucked to have them blow the lead and lose that game, I was happy to see Matt Duchene notch a few assists. Every time I watch him play he impresses me. He always makes something happen, whether it's with his speed, his (surprising, at least to me) strength, his playmaking ability, or even his quick hands on defense. His lack of points isn't because he's not doing anything out there, so it's nice to see him get a few assists. I think once he gets a few more goals under his belt things may really start to click for him

phaneuf6
11-19-2009, 03:49 PM
Even though it sucked to have them blow the lead and lose that game, I was happy to see Matt Duchene notch a few assists. Every time I watch him play he impresses me. He always makes something happen, whether it's with his speed, his (surprising, at least to me) strength, his playmaking ability, or even his quick hands on defense. His lack of points isn't because he's not doing anything out there, so it's nice to see him get a few assists. I think once he gets a few more goals under his belt things may really start to click for him

I was glad to see that too. Duchene is probably pretty frustrated at his statline right now if I know him like I think I do but once things start going he'll be fine. It had to make things even worse when O'Reilly was racking up the points to start the season.

b_illin
11-19-2009, 03:52 PM
Chris Durno just got called up....our parents are close...he's a good guy and a solid player....and got his first NHL point last night! (that said, the Marlies/Monsters game this Sunday would have been a lot cooler had he been playing like I thought he would when I bought the tickets for my dad's bday!)

eff1ngham
11-19-2009, 04:23 PM
He's a big boy! I hope he can put on a little more muscle and stick around in the NHL, because with him and Chris Stewart that would make two nice power forwards, which is something the Avs haven't had in a long time

two24four
11-19-2009, 04:33 PM
I was glad to see that too. Duchene is probably pretty frustrated at his statline right now if I know him like I think I do but once things start going he'll be fine. It had to make things even worse when O'Reilly was racking up the points to start the season.

Did you see Duchene and Foote on after hours on CBC this past Saturday, after the game?

b_illin
11-19-2009, 04:44 PM
He's a big boy! I hope he can put on a little more muscle and stick around in the NHL, because with him and Chris Stewart that would make two nice power forwards, which is something the Avs haven't had in a long time

You should (edit) see his brother Bubba! (although neither of them are as big as b_illin! :D)

phaneuf6
11-19-2009, 05:13 PM
Did you see Duchene and Foote on after hours on CBC this past Saturday, after the game?

Just watched it on Youtube. Footer looked uninterested haha, but most of that stuff was just repeats of what Duchene has said before.

YouTube- November 14th, 2009 After Hours Featuring Colorado Avalanche Adam Foote & Matt Duchene Part 2 of 2

two24four
11-19-2009, 06:38 PM
Best part was them talking about Duchene on the 1st Monday night after he moved in sitting in Foote's chair for Monday night football, haha.

I heard this week that O'Reilly is living with Tucker I guess.

eff1ngham
12-01-2009, 04:31 AM
I think once he gets a few more goals under his belt things may really start to click for him

He's starting to heat up now. It helps that he's not just trying to use his speed to get outside of defensemen any more; I saw a few times tonight where he'd cut back into the middle and make the defensemen decide what they were going to do. Nice game Duchebag :beer:

eff1ngham
12-02-2009, 11:20 PM
He's at it again. Another great game for Duchene, and an impressive comeback by the team. Too bad they lost in the shootout, but you can't blame Budaj for that.

I sure hope Andy isn't hurt too badly :scared:

phaneuf6
12-03-2009, 03:16 AM
Duchene is really starting to get going. A friend of mine went to Colorado for American Thanksgiving and called up Duchene for shirts and tickets.. they hung out later that night. He's really enjoying things in Colorado and it looks like things on the scoresheet are starting to turn around for him. Cherry is going to love this on Coaches Corner.

Kyle
12-15-2009, 11:04 PM
Wow horrible check on Green by Koci, very dirty from behind right into the boards.

eff1ngham
12-16-2009, 10:23 AM
They should have tried hitting the back of the net instead of the back of the Caps players

Kyle
12-17-2009, 09:46 AM
They should have tried hitting the back of the net instead of the back of the Caps players

:lol:

Kyle
01-05-2010, 03:46 PM
Duchene is a stud, on pace for an amazing season so far. Its way early but based on how well he plays I have to assume hes going to be one of the top scorers of the next decade (assuming hes healthy of course). I think hes just as good as Taveras if not better.

phaneuf6
01-05-2010, 05:31 PM
Duchene is a stud, on pace for an amazing season so far. Its way early but based on how well he plays I have to assume hes going to be one of the top scorers of the next decade (assuming hes healthy of course). I think hes just as good as Taveras if not better.

He's way better than Tavares. If you have the chance to see him live, take it. I watched him come up through the Battalion and he's an incredible skater with great hands. I'm hoping he can get me some tickets for a game in Colorado next season.

dw13
01-05-2010, 05:55 PM
He's way better than Tavares. If you have the chance to see him live, take it. I watched him come up through the Battalion and he's an incredible skater with great hands. I'm hoping he can get me some tickets for a game in Colorado next season.

I think his skating clearly puts him above Tavares. That's my opinion of the two.

phaneuf6
01-05-2010, 06:01 PM
I think his skating clearly puts him above Tavares. That's my opinion of the two.

The skating is certainly a key factor. Duchene generates offence with his speed and agility. If you watch Tavares, he floats. Great hands, but a floater. Duchene will chase the puck down and then make something happen. Tavares has had it easy his whole career on the PP too, sitting on the doorstep banging in easy passes. Duchene's defensive game is also way better, he'll be one of the best PK guys in the league in a couple years.

dw13
01-05-2010, 06:05 PM
The skating is certainly a key factor. Duchene generates offence with his speed and agility. If you watch Tavares, he floats. Great hands, but a floater. Duchene will chase the puck down and then make something happen. Tavares has had it easy his whole career on the PP too, sitting on the doorstep banging in easy passes. Duchene's defensive game is also way better, he'll be one of the best PK guys in the league in a couple years.

To me, that all comes back to Duchene's elite skating. I love watching Duchene play, where as watching Tavares is watching many others in the league. I got to see the COL/TB game this year and it was very cool seeing the kid and he scored twice I think it was that night.

two24four
01-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Yeah Duchene is better then JT, I have watched both come up the last few years in the OHL, Duchene is the more alround player big time.

Duchene will be the Avs new Sakic before long.

eff1ngham
01-05-2010, 11:23 PM
Duchebag was the rookie of the month for december:

http://avalanche.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=512413&navid=DL|COL|home

Should be a fun game on wednesday with Tavares in town. I think I've been to more Avs games this year than I have in a while, and I have to say I never get tired or seeing him play

Chilly_Willy
01-06-2010, 12:26 AM
Duchene's game is awesome, one of those players that can pull crazy move's full tilt. His all around game is best in his draft class so far. Last years draft will be interesting to look back on in 15 years.

pjm
01-12-2010, 12:46 AM
Wow, Anderson played a really incredible game tonight.. 44 of 46 and they were not easy saves. Unfortunately the better team lost tonight but I guess thats what a hot goaltender can do sometimes. Can't believe the US chose Quick over him for 3rd goaltender.

Kyle
01-14-2010, 11:14 AM
Hes not proven and has been inconsistent after his ridiculous start. Its understandable but yes Quick isn't exactly an upgrade by any stretch.

Hamsterkill
01-14-2010, 01:46 PM
Quick probably just got the nod because he's younger.

Avaholic
01-15-2010, 04:57 PM
Quick probably just got the nod because he's younger.

I think this is the logic they used when selecting Quick. Give a younger guy the experience of going over there in order to groom him for the future. Anderson wouldn't have seen any playing time anyways, and I for one am glad that he gets a 2 week rest. He's earned it with his workload so far. Hopefully he comes back rested and ready for the final push.

eff1ngham
01-15-2010, 05:02 PM
I'm also glad he'll be getting a rest. The guy has been a workhorse this season so the time off should do him some good.

Plus, as others mentioned, Quick is much younger. The odds of him being on the Olympic team next time around are much better than Anderson, so if it's just a number 2 or number 3 it makes sense for him to be on the club as opposed to guy who will be like 33 years old next time around

Kyle
01-15-2010, 06:25 PM
Exactly, groom a potential future goaltender and let him get valuable experience from his practices.

b_illin
01-16-2010, 12:50 PM
Nice to see Durno sticking with the team...hasn't played in a few days, but looks like he could stay with the big team for the rest of the season hopefully. (watched his brother play lacrosse last night for Boston too :D)

two24four
01-16-2010, 01:01 PM
Nice to see Durno sticking with the team...hasn't played in a few days, but looks like he could stay with the big team for the rest of the season hopefully. (watched his brother play lacrosse last night for Boston too :D)

Great game last night eh, lot's of fights, I love Lacrosse, to bad Boston could not win, (Iam not a Rock fan :D) I think Boston wins last night if DDD was kicked out.

b_illin
01-16-2010, 01:04 PM
Great game last night eh, lot's of fights, I love Lacrosse, to bad Boston could not win, (Iam not a Rock fan :D) I think Boston wins last night if DDD was kicked out.

We'll never know...certainly didn;t like his goon brother going after Doyle! Did you notice #12 Durno? He was the dude who crashed Watson in the 1st...he's a big, mean boy...that's why they call him Bubba!

two24four
01-16-2010, 01:09 PM
We'll never know...certainly didn;t like his goon brother going after Doyle! Did you notice #12 Durno? He was the dude who crashed Watson in the 1st...he's a big, mean boy...that's why they call him Bubba!

Yeah I know who he is, he plays for Brooklin in the summer league as well.

It was funny seeing Doyle fight P. Dawson, because they play on the same team in Brampton during the summer, I was kind of shocked to see Doyle take him on, P. Dawson is a good fighter.

b_illin
01-16-2010, 04:00 PM
Yeah I know who he is, he plays for Brooklin in the summer league as well.

It was funny seeing Doyle fight P. Dawson, because they play on the same team in Brampton during the summer, I was kind of shocked to see Doyle take him on, P. Dawson is a good fighter.

Dawson didn't really give him much choice. You could see Doyle wasn't too interested but Dawson kept jabbing so Doyle said fuck it and fought back.

two24four
01-16-2010, 04:31 PM
Dawson didn't really give him much choice. You could see Doyle wasn't too interested but Dawson kept jabbing so Doyle said fuck it and fought back.

Something for them to talk about in the summer :lol:

eff1ngham
01-17-2010, 11:01 PM
That was a great game yesterday. Anderson was amazing, especially at the end. A few good scraps, some nice hits (sorry Elias), lots of intensity. Plus it was nice to see 17,000+ at the Pepsi Center, I haven't been to a game with that many people since the season opener I believe :yes:

Avaholic
02-07-2010, 06:41 AM
Another solid win by the youngest team in the NHL, 3-0 over a clearly outmatched Edmonton Oilers team.

I was lucky enough to score 4th row tickets, attack zone twice, so I really got to see some of the heated battles in the corner. What a fantastic sport. I was talking to my friends after the first period - "Did you guys remember the Oilers being in the Avs zone in the 1st....at ALL?" I think at one point in the 2nd period the Avs were out-shooting the Oil something like 26-5.

It's great to see this team respond, like they've done all year. It seems like every instance where you'd think they need to come out and show max effort, they do. I can't recall being let down too many times this season (the Canucks and Capitals games come to mind). What a great foundation of young talent we have brewing here (especially when Jones comes back healthy).

It's a great time to be an Avalanche fan. :beer:

Avaholic
02-10-2010, 11:44 PM
Get the highlight reel ready, Cumisky goes 4-on-1 for the winner vs. Atlanta 9 seconds into OT!

S I C K ! :headbang:

1st place, baby.

phaneuf6
02-10-2010, 11:55 PM
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs197.snc3/20460_332977170029_506985029_5303349_7217473_n.jpg

Avaholic
02-11-2010, 03:59 PM
^ Hahaha, that's hilarious.

I'm so excited for the future of this team. That poster doesn't even include our biggest breakout player Stewart, age 22. Anything the team does this year can be seen as gravy, as we enter next year looking to do some real damage. :beer::cool:

Greg Sherman's "midnight call" to Anderson, in hindsight, huuuuuge.

alias
02-11-2010, 07:19 PM
duchene looks like he's 8 in that picture

phaneuf6
02-11-2010, 07:25 PM
duchene looks like he's 8 in that picture

That's how he looks all the time off the ice haha, I got it off his Facebook.

Avaholic
02-11-2010, 07:52 PM
He does look like a little kid in person. He DID just turn 19 a few weeks ago. Can't crack a beer for another 2 years, but expected to face off against the best/toughest in the world.

Wilson looks like a vampire.

The Dman pipeline is nearly ready to send up some troops - next year we could see some combination of Shattenkirk, Gaunce, Cohen, Elliott, etc. The youngest team in the NHL could get even younger as we determine our "core".

Keep up the good artwork, Phaneuf!

phaneuf6
02-11-2010, 08:17 PM
He does look like a little kid in person. He DID just turn 19 a few weeks ago. Can't crack a beer for another 2 years, but expected to face off against the best/toughest in the world.

Wilson looks like a vampire.

The Dman pipeline is nearly ready to send up some troops - next year we could see some combination of Shattenkirk, Gaunce, Cohen, Elliott, etc. The youngest team in the NHL could get even younger as we determine our "core".

Keep up the good artwork, Phaneuf!

Haha, I didn't make it, I just grabbed it off Duchene's profile. He was loving it, had it as his profile picture. Statsny commented on it chirping Wilson too, saying he looked like someone out of LOTR. :lol:

Avaholic
02-13-2010, 04:23 AM
2-1, Avs over Phoenix tonight. Steady as she goes.

The youngest team in hockey can make it 6 wins in 7 games in LA tomorrow night. We are at the 3/4 mark of the season, this team didn't fold, this team didn't stall out by Christmas like so many predicted early on. The future potential of this club is so huge. We are, by all looks of things, going to avoid a dreaded "rebuilding stretch" that so many cities must endure, instead witnessing 1 awful year and a restocking the cupboards.

Remember when Craig Anderson "couldn't keep this up", he's "bound to come back to Earth?" I'll take 70 games each year of whatever he is, because it's stellar goaltending. Unproven in the playoffs? Yes. Can he steal us games? I've seen it.

Matt Duchene = Superstar. Period. No do-overs, NYI. :D

I can't be more excited for the next 10 years, granted management doesn't mess up this formula. :cool:

Kyle
02-15-2010, 02:50 AM
He went from top 2 in all major categories 20ish games into the season to 7th in Sv% and 13th in GAA. I would call that falling down to Earth and simply having a productive season.

I never said Anderson would become horrible and nobody else did. But theres no denying that he he was forced to carry them to start the year and could not keep doing that. He did stop carryign them (Again, the numbers prove this, though yes he does steal the occasional game. But really, what winning goaltender doesn't?), but again the skaters responded remarkably well and began waking up and playing much better hockey.

So, kudos and props to Anderson for consistently playing well (But clearly not close to that early season streak), and bigger kudos to the forwards for proving he doesn't need to carry them and that they can win games themselves. Good show by the Avs this year so far.

But yeah, everyone who made the call on Anderson not being able to keep it up was completely correct. No one said he'd fall off the top 15 of any category, thats nearly statistically impossible after the first 15-20 games he had. You don't come out of the 1st quarter of the season 1st/2nd in all categories and all the sudden become 20th (Unless your name is Kopitar and you have one of the most epic transition from hot to cold in NHL history). We only said he was going to play more like an average NHL goaltender for the rest of the year and if you eliminate the ridiculous numbers he put up the 1st 15 games, the next 38 would look above-average, at best. Anderson isn't an all star goalie in this league right now. Hes just good. He isn't top 5 and you'd have to make a stellar argument to even convince me hes top 10. So I don't see how anyone is wrong about him falling down to Earth when he started this year the clear and undebatable best goaltender in the NHL 20 games into the season.

I like the team much better now than to start the year. Their win streak to start the year was simply the result of unbelievable goaltending. Now they're winning because they're playing superior hockey, thats something I didn't see starting the year, so again, kudos on that. Good luck with your playoff run, I would love the Wings/Avs to meet in the 2nd round (Though the Wings even making the 2nd round at this point is a fairy tale prediction), none of the old rivalry left but I think they can get the sparks flying again.

phaneuf6
02-15-2010, 02:33 PM
Even Ryan Miller has started to come back down to earth. It's hard to maintain those kind of numbers in the NHL. Anderson gave the youngsters up front a chance to get comfortable in the league, and now that they are, they can start doing their thing while he can get away with letting a couple more in. Perfect timing for the Avs.

EDIT: Before someone jumps on the Miller comment, I'll say that he IS a better goaltender than Anderson, but he came back down to earth by his standards.

Avaholic
02-15-2010, 04:08 PM
Anderson isn't an all star goalie in this league right now. Hes just good. He isn't top 5 and you'd have to make a stellar argument to even convince me hes top 10.

Anderson is Top 10 in Games Played, Wins, Save %, Shutouts, and Shootout Victories. He is backstopping the youngest team in the NHL, experiencing the largest workload of his career by FAR, and was an Olympic candidate (and should have made it ahead of Thomas in hindsight). All at a contract and cap hit far less than the "all star" name brand goalies.

What about that says "not Top 10?" But really, rankings are just snapshots in time. Let's give the guy a full season (and a rested 2nd "half") and possible playoff run to show what he can do before we start ranking people.

Most Avalanche fans would say they could care less about where Anderson falls statistically - you just need to watch more games to see that this guy is the real deal. His calling card has been the ability to make the HUGE save at the most critical times in games. The following scenario has happened numerous times this season:

The Avs trail 1-0 and get sent to the box. Anderson robs 2 great PP scoring chances from point blank range. Avs get back to even strength but commit a turnover, the other team comes in on a breakaway, Anderson stones him. Avs come back the other way and score. They go on to win 4-3. Anderson let in 3 which hurts his "stats", but in a critical stretch he shut the door, and bought enough time for the team to find their game and rally back. 2 Points.

I would speak directly to predictions of the severity of Anderson's "fall to Earth", but the thread was apparently deleted, which is a shame. I remember reading, "This one will be fun to revisit down the road", referring to how over-hyped Anderson and the Avs were at the time.

Yes, it is fun to revisit. :cool:

And a 2nd round Avs/Wings matchup would be a blast - even though things have changed, no other matchup would get me as pumped up. I'd support a 1st round 3/6 matchup as well. :D

Kyle
02-15-2010, 05:14 PM
I didn't say I won't acknowledge him at top 10. I simply said you had to make a good argument. But by any standard, he definitely fell down to earth.

Avaholic
02-15-2010, 10:07 PM
He did let in an uncharacteristic "softie" against LA Saturday night, the 2nd start of back to back nights. I'm hoping that he's just feeling a little fatigued with all the starts he's had so far, and that a few weeks of rest and focus will help him return to top form.

Hejduk, Foote, Cumisky, and Hendricks should be 100% upon return.

My trade deadline wish list: :fingersx:

A top 6 LW (Huselius?)
A shutdown top 4 D (Hejda?)

Shipped Out: Liles, Svatos, Salei, Hensick

Kyle
02-15-2010, 10:12 PM
Psh, when Osgood was our season starter one little softie a night was considered productive.

Hockeyis#1
03-02-2010, 05:58 AM
Wow are those 3rd jerseys ugly as fuck

canuckthug
03-10-2010, 01:09 AM
Matt Duchene has the Calder on lockdown. This guy could make team Canada 2014?!!? I find it interesting that management let Wojtek Wolski go...He was having a good year and that was surprisingly the biggest deal at deadline. Its safe to say the Avs have overachieved this year but why the significant drop in attendance?

Im looking at your schedule and only see 2 or 3 easy games (FLA, EDM, StL) the rest of the way.
The Avs play:
Kings 3 times
Sharks twice
Ducks twice
Flames twice
Hawks, Canucks, Coyotes, Stars once.

I dont expect your team to roll over with 16 games left but its gonna go down to the wire. Most people have the Avalanche as a playoff team (look at the Cup contender thread-the Avs are on the list) but its far from official.

Avaholic
03-15-2010, 04:26 PM
Duchene is the Calder lock, and he can absolutely make Team Canada 2014. If you compare Duchene vs. Stamkos in their rookie seasons, the numbers are nearly identical. Duchene is going to be a high impact star starting next season.

The Avs have the youngest team in the NHL, it's going to take the "non die hard" fan base a bit to get to know some of these kids. Most casual fans think "Sakic's gone", not "Galiardi is exciting." Add on the economy and the refusal to lower ticket prices from old levels, and it's not surprising. Playoffs would be a huge boost.

This team should hold the course. They rarely drop 2 games in a row, have lost 3 in a row maybe once or twice all year, and always come with energy/hustle. Tough remaining schedule, but we've padded our points a bit which will help. Looks like it's shaping up to be the Flames and Wings fighting for that 8th seed, with the loser missing out.

In Anderson we trust. :cool:

chgorman
03-15-2010, 05:07 PM
Matt Duchene has the Calder on lockdown. This guy could make team Canada 2014?!!? I find it interesting that management let Wojtek Wolski go...He was having a good year and that was surprisingly the biggest deal at deadline. Its safe to say the Avs have overachieved this year but why the significant drop in attendance?

Im looking at your schedule and only see 2 or 3 easy games (FLA, EDM, StL) the rest of the way.
The Avs play:
Kings 3 times
Sharks twice
Ducks twice
Flames twice
Hawks, Canucks, Coyotes, Stars once.

I dont expect your team to roll over with 16 games left but its gonna go down to the wire. Most people have the Avalanche as a playoff team (look at the Cup contender thread-the Avs are on the list) but its far from official.

Duchene is the Calder lock, and he can absolutely make Team Canada 2014. If you compare Duchene vs. Stamkos in their rookie seasons, the numbers are nearly identical. Duchene is going to be a high impact star starting next season.

The Avs have the youngest team in the NHL, it's going to take the "non die hard" fan base a bit to get to know some of these kids. Most casual fans think "Sakic's gone", not "Galiardi is exciting." Add on the economy and the refusal to lower ticket prices from old levels, and it's not surprising. Playoffs would be a huge boost.

This team should hold the course. They rarely drop 2 games in a row, have lost 3 in a row maybe once or twice all year, and always come with energy/hustle. Tough remaining schedule, but we've padded our points a bit which will help. Looks like it's shaping up to be the Flames and Wings fighting for that 8th seed, with the loser missing out.

Not if Tyler Myers and/or Jimmy Howard have anything to say about it. A strong finish to the season by Myers makes Duchene anything BUT a lock. If Jimmy H finishes the season strong and gets DET into the playoffs, he's going to get some serious consideration too. Unless both those guys shit the bed for the final few weeks of the season, Duchene is def not a lock for the Calder. He's a lock for a Calder nomination, no doubt, but he's no lock to win just yet.

phaneuf6
03-15-2010, 05:11 PM
I'll agree with Duchene winning the Calder this year. Maybe not locked down, but close enough. You have to watch him to understand that I think.

chgorman
03-15-2010, 05:46 PM
I'll agree with Duchene winning the Calder this year. Maybe not locked down, but close enough. You have to watch him to understand that I think.

You could probably say the same about Myers.

Put it this way, I'll take 36 pts in 67 gms, +9 from a barely 20yr old 6'8" rookie D for the Calder over 47pts in 68 gms and a +2 from a barely 19 yr old C, regardless of how good they look watching them. Especially because D always take longer to mature and hit their stride and find their gm than fwds do in general. For Myers to be putting up the numbers he is on a low scoring BUF team at age 20 and 6' 8" without looking clumsy and out of place is amazing to me. The kid already looks like a seasoned vet out there, which is unheard of for a D of his size at his age.

I'm not taking ANYTHING away from Duchene, he's had a phenominal season, but what Myers has accomplished this yr is nothing short of amazing, and thus Duch is far from a lock for the Calder IMO. Don't let your man crush for your boy Duch cloud your judgement ;) :D

two24four
03-15-2010, 05:47 PM
Duchene is not a lock for the Calder IMO, I would give it too Myers right now, it will be close though between Duchene and Myers.

Hamsterkill
03-15-2010, 05:52 PM
Duchene is not a lock for the Calder IMO, I would give it too Myers right now, it will be close though between Duchene and Myers.
This.

Avaholic
03-15-2010, 06:28 PM
Not if Tyler Myers and/or Jimmy Howard have anything to say about it. A strong finish to the season by Myers makes Duchene anything BUT a lock. If Jimmy H finishes the season strong and gets DET into the playoffs, he's going to get some serious consideration too. Unless both those guys shit the bed for the final few weeks of the season, Duchene is def not a lock for the Calder. He's a lock for a Calder nomination, no doubt, but he's no lock to win just yet.

I agree that Tyler Myers should get some strong consideration, he's a fantastic young defenseman. However, he seems to be slowing down his pace as the season progresses, while Duchene is heating up. (Last 20 games: Myers 9 points including one 4 pt. game, -3, Duchene 17 points, +11)

I just don't see a huge gap between Jimmy Howard, age 26(!), and the next best rookie goalie, Tuukka Rask, age 23. Rask has a higher SV%, lower GAA, more shutouts, with 9 less wins than Howard (yet 20 less starts). And according to posts around here, Howard enjoys playing behind "a clear Top 5 Defense." Rask hasn't played enough to win Calder, but has been the better per/game goalie. I'll give Howard the fatigue argument, I'm just saying you can't say he's been far better than Rask.

There IS however a gap between Duchene and the next best rookie skater, Tavares.

Duchene = 23, 24, 47, +2 (Team 6th in West)
Tavares = 18, 18, 36, -18 (Team 13th in East)

Age doesn't technically factor in, as 5 other players as old as Howard have won the award since 1932. But my vote goes to the 19 year old fueling an over-achieving team above the 26 year old for rookie of the year.

Kyle
03-15-2010, 08:22 PM
On the flipside, Howard is actually ranked among the top goalies in numerous categories while Duchene is ranked what, 60th, 70th in points? They will consider that long before they worry about how good other rookies are doing.

Its still anyone's trophy to win between Howard/Duchene/Myers. Its silly to call anyone a lock right now, Duchene isn't having some abnormally awesome rookie season, lets not overexaggerate what hes done. Hes doing great, so are Howard and Myers, and its anything but a lock and will depend on the last 15 games of the season to decide.

Hamsterkill
03-15-2010, 08:28 PM
Who votes on the Calder anyway?

Chilly_Willy
03-15-2010, 09:48 PM
Its weired how Tavares totally disappeared. He was on fire at the beginning of the season. I wouldn't even nominate him at this point.

Does the NHL rotate the award based on position? Like would they be its time for a Defensemen this year. I hope Howard doesn't win it. I know goalies mature later but still 26, come on. I would give it to Duchene or Myers so far.

Kyle
03-15-2010, 11:06 PM
Its weired how Tavares totally disappeared. He was on fire at the beginning of the season. I wouldn't even nominate him at this point.

Does the NHL rotate the award based on position? Like would they be its time for a Defensemen this year. I hope Howard doesn't win it. I know goalies mature later but still 26, come on. I would give it to Duchene or Myers so far.

Tavares has been absolute dogshit since his little 14 goal hot streak to start the few months of the year. Since his streaky play ended starting from Dec 14th, he has scored 4 goals in 37 games and only 6 assists to compensate. This is with second line time. He has been dysmal.

I didn't watch him at all but durring his streak I read many people around here commenting that he was putting in lucky PP goals and kept having pucks fall on his stick in front of open nets. Hes been really bad since he cooled off.

phaneuf6
03-15-2010, 11:14 PM
Tavares is just being exposed as the player he's always been. Anybody who followed his junior career will tell you that.

chgorman
03-15-2010, 11:32 PM
I agree that Tyler Myers should get some strong consideration, he's a fantastic young defenseman. However, he seems to be slowing down his pace as the season progresses, while Duchene is heating up. (Last 20 games: Myers 9 points including one 4 pt. game, -3, Duchene 17 points, +11)

I just don't see a huge gap between Jimmy Howard, age 26(!), and the next best rookie goalie, Tuukka Rask, age 23. Rask has a higher SV%, lower GAA, more shutouts, with 9 less wins than Howard (yet 20 less starts). And according to posts around here, Howard enjoys playing behind "a clear Top 5 Defense." Rask hasn't played enough to win Calder, but has been the better per/game goalie. I'll give Howard the fatigue argument, I'm just saying you can't say he's been far better than Rask.

There IS however a gap between Duchene and the next best rookie skater, Tavares.

Duchene = 23, 24, 47, +2 (Team 6th in West)
Tavares = 18, 18, 36, -18 (Team 13th in East)

Age doesn't technically factor in, as 5 other players as old as Howard have won the award since 1932. But my vote goes to the 19 year old fueling an over-achieving team above the 26 year old for rookie of the year.

Realistically, I don't see Howard winning it unless he absolutely tears up the final 4 wks of the season. He is playing behind a great D, which works against him, as does his age (unfortunately) but he also shone when the team needed him most during the injury plague, when the team was missing some key defensive players (fwds and D), to say nothing of the lack of offensive support he was getting in front of him. We can twist the numbers a million different ways, but the bottom line is that Jimmy has been a major factor for his team pretty well all season and has had a stellar rookie season regardless of age. As I say, realistically I don't think he'll win it, but the gap is small enough that in no way is it a 'lock' for Duchene, and that;s to say nothing of Myers, who has an even better chance of winning the Calder than Jimmy does, IMO.

As for Myers, yes, he's slowing down a bit, but so what? so is the entire BUF team. Duchene started slow. What's the diff whether they start slow and end up on a tear or vice-versa? To me, it's more impressive that Myers started out very well and then slowed as BUF as a team slowed than Duch starting out slow and taking half a season to really get a feel for things and start really producing. The fact that Myers was a major factor right away and did not look out of place right off the bat, with little to no adjustment period is more impressive to me.

And the gap between Duch and the next best fwd means nothing to me. Big deal. Just because Tavares fell off the face of the planet doesn't mean that Duch deserves it any more than he would if Tavares didn't suck. That's just plain faulty logic right there, to try to use Tavares to help Duch's case. He's not competing with the 4th/5th/10th/20th best rookies for the Calder, he's competing with the other top 2 (not including himself, obviously) which IMO are Myers and Howard right now.

By no means am I saying that Duch won't win, as he's been very impressive, all I'm saying is he's not the lock that you and others are making him out to be. Is that fair for me to say, or do you still think he's a lock for the Calder?

Avaholic
03-16-2010, 12:22 AM
That's fair, and we'll see how the final stretch of games play out. In my opinion Duchene has the lead and will pad it, but any of the finalists can go nuts down the stretch so agreed that the word lock is too strong at this point. I have a very good feeling that a strong Avalanche push and playoff berth would be synonymous with strong Duchene production.

The winner is selected in a poll of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association.

chgorman
03-16-2010, 11:02 AM
Not that I necessarily agree with this, but FWIW, rotoworld seems to think Howard is the lock for the Calder, not Duchene OR Myers:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NHL&line=105856&id=1823

Jimmy Howard made 22 saves for Detroit in their 2-1 win over Calgary on Monday night.
The more Howard continues to win, the less of a debate the Rookie of the Year polling is going to become. For some reason his candidacy has been overshadowed in some of the press by Tyler Myers and Matt Duchene, but Howard's numbers speak for themselves at this point. He has clearly been the best of this year's rookie crop.

Kyle
03-16-2010, 12:26 PM
I'm just going to repeat my point in the "Trophy Predictions" thread that compared to other players at his position (Not other rookies which is irrelevant), Howard is leaps and bounds ahead of Myers or Duchene, statistically. Duchene is in the bottom-middle end of players playing 17+ minutes a night and Myers is doing great but not making the splash at his position that Howard is. Ultimately the calder looks at statistics above all else. If Raask played more games and mantained those numbers he would be the obvious pick but he just can't be considered. Howard is 5th in Sv%, 6th in GAA, and is among the tops (I'm not doing the math for every goalie but he is certainly top 7) in points per game which is a much more meaningful stat than wins. Out of 135 players playing 17+ minutes a night, Duchene ranks 70th in points. There is no comparing them statistically and when you look beyond statistics and at the impact they've had for their team, as important as Duchene has been, Howard has clearly been far more crucial to the Wing's success and will gain more grounds there, if they consider that.

Duchene would need to be PPG for his numbers to be equally impressive and Myers would have to crack the top 7-10 D-men in scoring.

phaneuf6
03-16-2010, 02:09 PM
I'm just going to repeat my point in the "Trophy Predictions" thread that compared to other players at his position (Not other rookies which is irrelevant), Howard is leaps and bounds ahead of Myers or Duchene, statistically. Duchene is in the bottom-middle end of players playing 17+ minutes a night and Myers is doing great but not making the splash at his position that Howard is. Ultimately the calder looks at statistics above all else. If Raask played more games and mantained those numbers he would be the obvious pick but he just can't be considered. Howard is 5th in Sv%, 6th in GAA, and is among the tops (I'm not doing the math for every goalie but he is certainly top 7) in points per game which is a much more meaningful stat than wins. Out of 135 players playing 17+ minutes a night, Duchene ranks 70th in points. There is no comparing them statistically and when you look beyond statistics and at the impact they've had for their team, as important as Duchene has been, Howard has clearly been far more crucial to the Wing's success and will gain more grounds there, if they consider that.

Duchene would need to be PPG for his numbers to be equally impressive and Myers would have to crack the top 7-10 D-men in scoring.

I'm not sure that's really a valid argument though. Its unfair to judge a rookie based on his performance relative to the rest of the league. That's why they're rookies, they're not expected to be top 10 in scoring in a league of highly skilled veterans.

Chilly_Willy
03-16-2010, 02:25 PM
There were a few people that said Duchene was going to be the best pick in the top 5 last draft, this was before the season even started. So far so good. The aves really are an exciting team. A bummer to loose Wolski but if Muller can reach his potential in Colorado things are going to interesting indeed. Anderson is really having a stellar season if he can repeat next year probably keep Budaji as a backup and get Delmas up for a few starts here and there.

Can't wait to see Colrado in the playoffs. I usually pick a team to follow in the playoffs and then if they exit I follow the victor and so on. This year I may be deciding Vancouver or Colorado. Maybe that will be a first round matchup.

Kyle
03-16-2010, 02:27 PM
That's why they're rookies, they're not expected to be top 10 in scoring in a league of highly skilled veterans.

This makes no sense at all. Yeah, Rookies are not expected to break the top 10, but Howard is. So if Howard is the only rookie this year truly competing with veterans in important categories, how on Earth is anyone a more likely winner right now, let alone a "lock" as many have put it here? Shouldn't the one rookie in the entire league who is actually competing for top 5 in every one of his major statistical categories get a nod for that?

Really simply: Why does Duchene with his 70th ranked point total deserve to be called a lock for the Calder trophy over Howard with his 5th ranked Sv% and 6th ranked GAA?

So, because rookies aren't expected to make the top 10, we ignore it when one of them remarkably is? Where is the logic behind that?

Duchene's season has been totally ordinary. We get a rookie like him (If not much better) almost every year. Just because the other rookie forwards have been dysmal this year doesn't mean anything about Duchene's chances for the trophy. Howard is the only rookie (Again, Raask just arrived too late) who is truly having a remarkable season that you simply don't expect out of any rookie. Howard's season has been every bit as remarkable and statistically impressive as Mason's last year minus the shutout category, but if both goalies are allowing the same (2.3) GAA, does SO really become that big a deal? It only means Howard has been much more consistent in the 1-2 goal range while Mason had plenty of 3+ goal nights for his GAA to be 2.3 despite 10 shutouts.

So, Howard is basically playing a Chris Mason quality rookie season (A bit weaker but right in that same league) who swept the calder last year effortlessly despite Bobby Ryan who had a WAY WAY WAY better season than Duchene is having now. Even Versteeg was just about as good last year as Duchene this year. Yet none of them were even close to touching Mason. Unless Duchene finishes with 15 points his last 13 games, I truly don't see how he possibly gets a vote over Howard. Even Myers has dominated his position much much more than Duchene.

phaneuf6
03-16-2010, 02:35 PM
This makes no sense at all. Yeah, Rookies are not expected to break the top 10, but Howard is. So if Howard is the only rookie this year truly competing with veterans in important categories, how on Earth is anyone a more likely winner right now, let alone a "lock" as many have put it here? Shouldn't the one rookie in the entire league who is actually competing for top 5 in every one of his major statistical categories get a nod for that?

I knew you'd take that angle :p and I don't have time to read the rest of reply now but what I will say is its 'easier' to get into the top 10 of ~30 players at your position than it is when theres a couple hundred at another position. I know you'll respond to this with your percentages so let me come back later. :lol:

Kyle
03-16-2010, 02:41 PM
what I will say is its 'easier' to get into the top 10 of ~30 players at your position than it is when theres a couple hundred at another position.

Again, Duchene is ranked 70th out of 135 forwards playing 17+ minutes per game. I don't want to hear any bullshit comparing him to 3rd/4th line players playing 8-11 minutes a night. He gets 1st/2nd line time, he will be compared to others getting that time. There is absolutely no way you can manipulate the numbers in Duchene's favor, a goalie with 2.32 GAA and a .924 Sv% is infinitely more impressive in today's NHL than a forward with 47 points in 68 games.

Chilly_Willy
03-16-2010, 02:42 PM
I give a shit about age. I don't understand how age does not factor into the equation. To me Rookie of the year should be guys coming out of juniors. I know we don't have any Sergei Makorov nonsense anymore but still at 26. He is a goalie though so maybe you cut him some slack but I would feel better about it if he was more Rask's age but even Tukka has some experience from SM-liiga. I just don't like to see the calder awared to older players and players that have professional overseas leauge expereince like Rask. Duchene and Myers to me are what the Calder should be about. If you want to award the older guys and 23 year old scoring phenoms that come from the KHL make another trophy. Call it the Selanne or the Ovechkin Trophy.

Kyle
03-16-2010, 02:43 PM
My point is it doesn't mean jack shit what any of us think about age. Its not a criteria for the Calder. Whoever has the most impressive rookie season had the most impressive rookie season, end of story. You don't get points for being younger and you don't lose it for being older, age doesn't exist in Calder considerations, their age is "rookie" to the voters.

I'm not agreeing that its right, nor do I think its entirely right that Howard gets an even chance at 26 years old and he has had a ton of professional exeprience. The criteria for numerous trophys is flawed, but it is what it is. The topic is who is having the best rookie season, not who do you personally feel would win the calder if you got to decide how the voting occured. We don't get to decide the criteria, we only get to use it, and the criteria (Based on history) says Howard's season will get an easy nod over Duchene's if they ended today.

Chilly_Willy
03-16-2010, 02:46 PM
Actually age totally matters. Howard just sneaks in on elidgability. After old man Makarov won the trophy they made it 26 or younger

Kyle
03-16-2010, 02:48 PM
No, age means absolutely nothing. If you're too old you don't qualify, if you qualify they will NOT look at your age again. It has nothing to do with the voting process, only the nominee selection process. Howard qualifies, hes clearly already a nominee, therefor age no longer has anything to do with the Calder voting this year.

Read my edit above. I agree Howard is probably too experienced to win a calder. But we don't decide that. The rules are written, his age will not be used against him because it is not something used to evaluate the quality of a season. The age only limits who gets considered, once you're past that it doesn't matter anymore and all that gets looked at is the quality of your season.

two24four
03-16-2010, 02:56 PM
I give a shit about age. I don't understand how age does not factor into the equation. To me Rookie of the year should be guys coming out of juniors. I know we don't have any Sergei Makorov nonsense anymore but still at 26. He is a goalie though so maybe you cut him some slack but I would feel better about it if he was more Rask's age but even Tukka has some experience from SM-liiga. I just don't like to see the calder awared to older players and players that have professional overseas leauge expereince like Rask. Duchene and Myers to me are what the Calder should be about. If you want to award the older guys and 23 year old scoring phenoms that come from the KHL make another trophy. Call it the Selanne or the Ovechkin Trophy.

I agree 100% , nothing against Howard, but he's played 3 or 4 years already in the AHL, where as Duchene and Myers are right out of Jr hockey.

Kyle
03-16-2010, 03:03 PM
Like I said, I don't disagree with the logic behind that, but it won't have any affect on the voting this year.

Chilly_Willy
03-16-2010, 03:07 PM
I think the Calder Trophy is a good candidate for reform. I am not saying the judges have to consider age of elidgible players and they probably don't rules is rules and I agree with you there. I don't think 18-19 year old players should have to complete with someone with 5-6 years expereince on them and in some cases with professional league backgrounds. The thing that is trickey is with golaies they take so long to develop and get opportunity so Howard at 26 isn't as bad some past skater winners I think Belfour was 26 when he won. I just think there should be more age restriction, its apples and oranges when you get that much experience to work with. But probably different with goalies. 18-19 year old NHL starting goalies are a rarity. Most people hate complication but you really need 2 tiers maybe 18-20 y.o. for skaters and 18- 22 for goalies.

Also agree with you Duchene is not a lock and Howard is totally in the race.

Kyle
03-16-2010, 03:21 PM
Yeah I agree with all that. I think things just got fuzzy when I thought you were using the age argument to say that Duchene would win it this year over Howard. I just misunderstood a bit, I agree with you two.

eff1ngham
03-16-2010, 03:43 PM
Duchene's season has been totally ordinary. We get a rookie like him (If not much better) almost every year.

I don't agree at all. I get the benefit of seeing him play every game, but he's not "ordinary" and I don't think we see players like him every year. But there are other things than just goal and assists to look at. Personally I think it's impressive that he's this solid defensively already. He's actually skating at a positive +/- currently, but also he's top 15 in the league in takeaways. That impresses me from a 19 year old kid. I get to see how fast he is, his quick hands and his vision. Things that don't always show up on the scoresheet. I'm not saying that Howard or Myers aren't impressive either, but Duchene is a better player than someone like Kris Versteeg. He's far from ordinary

Kyle
03-16-2010, 03:52 PM
Don't get me wrong, I didn't mean to classify his talent as ordinary. Hes clearly the next Danny Heatley quality player in this league. I'm just saying to a calder voting comittee (Who, lets be frank, look at little more than numbers), there is nothing really special about Duchene's season. Howard's stands out much more.

The fact is, 48 points in 67 games is just that. Its simply way less impressive than what Howard's done. That doesn't mean hes an ordinary talent, far from it.

chgorman
03-16-2010, 04:04 PM
Just wanted to say kudos to all who have contributed to this discussion. Great discussion, many great points brought up by all parties involved, so glad it hasn't devolved into some ridiculous flame war like lengthy discussions such as this one tend to do after a full pg or 2 of posts. Cheers guys :beer:

alias
03-16-2010, 09:56 PM
Again, Duchene is ranked 70th out of 135 forwards playing 17+ minutes per game. I don't want to hear any bullshit comparing him to 3rd/4th line players playing 8-11 minutes a night. He gets 1st/2nd line time, he will be compared to others getting that time. There is absolutely no way you can manipulate the numbers in Duchene's favor, a goalie with 2.32 GAA and a .924 Sv% is infinitely more impressive in today's NHL than a forward with 47 points in 68 games.

If you're going to eliminate the forwards playing less than 17 minutes a game you have to eliminate the goalies with less ice time than Howard as well.

Duchene is 70/135 = top 52%
Howard is 12th in icetime, yet ranks at best 6th or 7th barely hitting the top 50% of those top 12 goalies in icetime.

I'd say they are about the same in that regard, Howard looks better because he has less competition. I don't think Duchene has it locked down, but if both players continue playing the way they are now, I think Duchene takes the Calder with one exception. Rask will take the Calder if he plays at least 11 of the last 13 games and keeps his stats where they are.

Kyle
03-16-2010, 10:00 PM
lol, I was using ice time per game, not total ice time. It doesn't apply the way you used it.

There is no way you can seriously think 48 points in 67 games is as good as 2.32 GAA and .924 sv%. That really isn't debatable, those are top goaltending numbers, 48 points in 67 games is not top forward numbers.

If someone wants to mention another reason to give Duchene the nod besides his 48 points I'm all ears. But we all know this trophy is a statistics contest and Howard is clearly dominating the statistics more so than any rookie. I'm not even going to debate that, because as I said above, there just isn't any argument that could possibly say 48 points/67 games as a forward compares with those numbers as a goaltender.

two24four
03-16-2010, 10:39 PM
JT is starting to heat up alittle abit, he has 3 Pts tonight so far in VAN.

two24four
03-16-2010, 10:47 PM
Make that 4 Pts for JT at the 2nd INT.

Kyle
03-16-2010, 10:53 PM
Its about time

Hamsterkill
03-16-2010, 10:58 PM
Of course, he'd heat up against one of my goalies...

Chilly_Willy
03-16-2010, 10:58 PM
Believe it or not a 4 point game really closes the scoring gap between him and Duchene. Still a way to go but a hot streak could put him back in the scoring race. Its certainly between Duchene, Howard, and Myers with an outside chance JT muscles his way in.

Hamsterkill
03-16-2010, 11:00 PM
Believe it or not a 4 point game really closes the scoring gap between him and Duchene. Still a way to go but a hot streak could put him back in the scoring race. Its certainly between Duchene, Howard, and Myers with an outside chance JT muscles his way in.
I'd say JT getting himself into the discussion again is not likely. In order to prove himself better than Duchene, he needed to outpoint him by significant margin in order to eclipse Duchene's defensive skills.

Kyle
03-16-2010, 11:04 PM
Yeah, Tavares realistically needs to get 65-75 points by season's end to outproduce Duchene enough. AKA he'd have to go Wayne Gretzy 215 points pace for the rest of his season. Not happening IMO

two24four
03-16-2010, 11:06 PM
-16 wont help JT as well.

Chilly_Willy
03-16-2010, 11:07 PM
I'd say JT getting himself into the discussion again is not likely. In order to prove himself better than Duchene, he needed to outpoint him by significant margin in order to eclipse Duchene's defensive skills.

Yeah I am not sure that they take these things into consideration but Duchene, Howard, and Myers certainly helpped their teams maintain playoff runs. JT really disappeared for a couple of months. If Calder is like a mini Hart trophy those 3 guys have meant for to their teams then JT has to the Isles this season.

Nice win by the Aves tonight. Duchene all over the place again

Avaholic
03-17-2010, 02:29 AM
Nice win by the Aves tonight. Duchene all over the place again

Another 2 assists, +2 night from the kid. Some sick moves, especially on the assist to Mueller where he had the Blues flailing.

His ordinary season continues.

Kyle
03-17-2010, 02:41 AM
His ordinary season continues.

:lol: take my words out of context more.

But ok, lets all act like this is a supernatural season because he got 2 assists in a game and ignore the fact that Kane, Malkin, Ovy, Crosby, Ryan, Toews, Statsny, Kopitar, and to a lesser extent Backstrom have all had better rookie seasons in the last 5 years. Thats 8 forwards in 5 years:p

The point is a rookie forward comes almost every year (Sometimes more than just one) that puts up numbers better than Duchene this year. Thats all I meant by ordinary season, don't take it out of context and quote me every time he scores a point like it proves me wrong;)

Unfortunately we all know his defensive prowess is going to have a very small impact on voter opinions. This trophy is a glorified statistics race among rookies.

WIS
03-17-2010, 02:55 AM

But is he going to make an impact as Stamkos has this season?

Kyle
03-17-2010, 02:59 AM

Thats a pretty steep standard. Stamkos has a chance for 100 points, thats kind of unfair to expect out of a sophmore season, espicially since they use Duchene defensively a bit.

I think it will be 2-3 years before he starts producing as well as Stamkos this year, but again he helps defensively so he doesn't need to produce at Stamkos' 100 point pace.

Also he won't ever be playing with a playmaker as good as St Louis, at least not in the near future. Stamkos doesn't produce nearly at this pace without St Louis.

eff1ngham
03-17-2010, 08:33 AM

It will depend on the continued progression of the Avs younger players, and who plays on his line. Hejduk is solid when healthy, but it will depend on whether guys like David Jones, Chris Stewart, TJ Galiardi, Brandon Yip and Peter Mueller continue to progress. Duchene will probably be good enough to make the players around him better, but if these guys continue to grow offensively then obviously his point totals will improve. I'd guess he'll be at least a point-per-game player next season, with the opportunity to do more

Chilly_Willy
03-17-2010, 11:41 AM
Last year for Stamkos was really dissapointing becasue you know he could do more but maybe it says something about developing players slowly. Would Stamkos be the complete beast he is today if he didn't get slowly intoroduced to the league? Its tough to say but interesting to think about. The sophmore slump seems to happen enough that there is probably something to it. Would be interested to look at second year numbers over a wide array of players and compaire their rookiee season playing time. Of course there are people like Doubty who are like "sophmore what!" I think Doubty averaged over 20 min a game his rookie season much like Myers.

To Kyles point Duchene's numbers are certainly not mind blowing. There really are no mind blowing rookiee phenoms this year in terms of scoring. But when you watch Duchene play you can tell there is something real special there. The guy's moves, decisions and general awareness of the game flow are all pretty extraordinary not to mention his wheels. I think it will be looked back on as a great rookie class regardless of the trophy. We are going to hear more about JT and Headman in a year or 2.

b_illin
03-17-2010, 11:53 AM

I think Myers deserves it over Duchene actually.

chgorman
03-17-2010, 12:08 PM
Last year for Stamkos was really dissapointing becasue you know he could do more but maybe it says something about developing players slowly. Would Stamkos be the complete beast he is today if he didn't get slowly intoroduced to the league? Its tough to say but interesting to think about. The sophmore slump seems to happen enough that there is probably something to it. Would be interested to look at second year numbers over a wide array of players and compaire their rookiee season playing time. Of course there are people like Doubty who are like "sophmore what!" I think Doubty averaged over 20 min a game his rookie season much like Myers.

I'm not sure it's a coincidence that Stamkos exploded in the 2nd half of last season after TB got rid of Melrose...

Maybe Melrose's firing had nothing to do with it, but the timing just seems to fit.

Kyle
03-17-2010, 12:53 PM
I think Myers deserves it over Duchene actually.

In following my line of thought of "Who dominates their position most," Myers definitely has dominated his D-man position on par with Howard at goaltending and both have done so at a higher level than Duchene, IMO.

Kyle
03-17-2010, 12:55 PM
I'm not sure it's a coincidence that Stamkos exploded in the 2nd half of last season after TB got rid of Melrose...

Maybe Melrose's firing had nothing to do with it, but the timing just seems to fit.

Eh, this is a stab in the dark but I'm almost positive Stamkos has been top 10 in goal scoring every single day of this season. He may have begun to produce better but I don't think he was ever below a PPG pace.

Edit - Looked it up, he had 17 goals and 29 points in the first 24 games to start the saeson so really hes done nothing but keep pace throughout his season. Thats why I've been so hooked on him and St Louis this year, except for this little 2-3 game funk they're in, they've produced deadly consistently all year.

chgorman
03-17-2010, 01:05 PM
Eh, this is a stab in the dark but I'm almost positive Stamkos has been top 10 in goal scoring every single day of this season. He may have begun to produce better but I don't think he was ever below a PPG pace.

Edit - Looked it up, he had 17 goals and 29 points in the first 24 games to start the saeson so really hes done nothing but keep pace throughout his season. Thats why I've been so hooked on him and St Louis this year, except for this little 2-3 game funk they're in, they've produced deadly consistently all year.

I'm not sure why you quoted me here... I was talking about last season (08/09), when Barry Melrose was the coach for the 1st half of the season before Tocchet took over, and Stamkos wasn't doing too well under Melrose. Then they replace Melrose with Tocchet and Stamkos explodes in the 2nd half. My comment had nothing to do with this season.

I mentioned it because Chilly said something about bringing Stamkos along slowly, and that being why he wasn't very good at the start of last season but then jacked it up for the 2nd half, when in reality, I'm thinking it might have just been Melrose's terrible coaching that had something to do with it, since I seem to remember him saying something to the effect of Stamkos not being ready for the NHL last yr, yet he blows up as soon as Melrose is given the boot.

Kyle
03-17-2010, 01:07 PM
Oh, well yeah, God knows even living in Florida I know dick all about that organization so I didn't think you were referring to last season. I thought you meant that 18 game pointstreak Stamkos just finished.

dw13
03-17-2010, 01:09 PM
I'm not sure why you quoted me here... I was talking about last season (08/09), when Barry Melrose was the coach for the 1st half of the season before Tocchet took over, and Stamkos wasn't doing too well under Melrose. Then they replace Melrose with Tocchet and Stamkos explodes in the 2nd half. My comment had nothing to do with this season.

I mentioned it because Chilly said something about bringing Stamkos along slowly, and that being why he wasn't very good at the start of last season but then jacked it up for the 2nd half, when in reality, I'm thinking it might have just been Melrose's terrible coaching that had something to do with it, since I seem to remember him saying something to the effect of Stamkos not being ready for the NHL last yr, yet he blows up as soon as Melrose is given the boot.

Melrose and the effect on Stamkos, as bad as a coach Melrose is/was, Tocchet really isn't to write home about. Stamkos got paired with St. Louis towards the middle of the season last year and it stuck, and Stamkos seemed to really take off from there out. The first 3/4 of the season, Stamkos looked like the teenager he was, playing against grown men.

I just think a light went off in Stamkos' head when he realized he could compete with these guys, and he just had to play his game. You could seriously see that light go off in his head and he was a brand new player... the player we have seen this whole season.

Tocchet could of definitely had an effect on him, but with someone with the talent of Stamkos, it was merely a matter of time before it clicked... but who knew he would look and be as good as he is right now, especially after the early stages of his rookie season.

chgorman
03-17-2010, 01:19 PM
Oh, well yeah, God knows even living in Florida I know dick all about that organization so I didn't think you were referring to last season. I thought you meant that 18 game pointstreak Stamkos just finished.

I thought this \/ might have tipped you off :lol:

Melrose and the effect on Stamkos, as bad as a coach Melrose is/was, Tocchet really isn't to write home about. Stamkos got paired with St. Louis towards the middle of the season last year and it stuck, and Stamkos seemed to really take off from there out. The first 3/4 of the season, Stamkos looked like the teenager he was, playing against grown men.

I just think a light went off in Stamkos' head when he realized he could compete with these guys, and he just had to play his game. You could seriously see that light go off in his head and he was a brand new player... the player we have seen this whole season.

Tocchet could of definitely had an effect on him, but with someone with the talent of Stamkos, it was merely a matter of time before it clicked... but who knew he would look and be as good as he is right now, especially after the early stages of his rookie season.

Fair enough, didn't think of the St. Lou factor until you/Kyle mentioned it. Good to hear a TB fan's take on it.

I'm takin' this thread way off track though, sry all. Back to some Avs/Duchene talk...

WIS
03-17-2010, 01:30 PM
Thats a pretty steep standard. Stamkos has a chance for 100 points, thats kind of unfair to expect out of a sophmore season, espicially since they use Duchene defensively a bit.

I think it will be 2-3 years before he starts producing as well as Stamkos this year, but again he helps defensively so he doesn't need to produce at Stamkos' 100 point pace.

Also he won't ever be playing with a playmaker as good as St Louis, at least not in the near future. Stamkos doesn't produce nearly at this pace without St Louis.
So what do you see Duchene's ceiling as?

Chilly_Willy
03-17-2010, 01:44 PM
I see Duchene's numbers as being much like Mike Richards and Johnathan Towes, I think he will acheive near point per game, I don't think he will be a 90-100 point guy but rather a 60-80 point guy that contributes across most categories. Its just my oppinion but most guys that hit those high numbers are not as responsible in all areas of the ice as Duchene is. It takes away from their point totals but they are the players you want. Hopefully he doesn't get stuck behind premeir centers like Staal or even Bergeron type situation but so far that doesn't look like it will happen. Should be Stasny, Duchene from here on out don't you think?

Kyle
03-17-2010, 01:47 PM
I see Duchene's numbers as being much like Mike Richards and Johnathan Towes, I think he will acheive near point per game, I don't think he will be a 90-100 point guy but rather a 60-80 point guy that contributes across most categories.

Agreed, maybe a very odd 90 pointer here and there but I don't see any art ross potential. Strictly by the numbers I expect his career to look a bit like Datsyuk (Though I'd be surprised with back to back 97 point seasons anytime soon from Duchene), just hovering around that PPG pace while offering countless other benefits to his team.

eff1ngham
03-17-2010, 02:04 PM
I was actually going to say that I imagine him being a lot like Datsyuk. He's already sound defensively and he's got amazing hands. Datsyuk's big scoring years were obviously helped by the Wings being the one of the highest scoring teams in the leagues. And as I said if the Avs wingers continue to progress I only see Duchene's point totals going up (Hejduk can still score 30 when healthy, unless Stewart regresses he could be a 30 goal player as well, Yip and Jones showed 20+ goal potential this season before being hurt, and who knows what Mueller is capable of). At this point I view Duchene's potential as a point-per-game player, who could hit 90+ depending on the players around him

two24four
03-17-2010, 02:05 PM
I see Duchene's numbers as being much like Mike Richards and Johnathan Towes, I think he will acheive near point per game, I don't think he will be a 90-100 point guy but rather a 60-80 point guy that contributes across most categories. Its just my oppinion but most guys that hit those high numbers are not as responsible in all areas of the ice as Duchene is. It takes away from their point totals but they are the players you want. Hopefully he doesn't get stuck behind premeir centers like Staal or even Bergeron type situation but so far that doesn't look like it will happen. Should be Stasny, Duchene from here on out don't you think?

Bang on, that's how I see Duchene career as well, I think Mike Richards when I think of Duchene, with out the fighting.

Kyle
03-17-2010, 02:07 PM
That said even as a big homer I must mention Datsyuk did not do this good his rookie year (or his sophmore year) and he was I think 3-4 years older when he arrived in the league. So Duchene's point potential may be higher over his career, thats the thing, the kids still just 19 years old, who knows where it'll go.

dw13
03-17-2010, 02:10 PM
Bang on, that's how I see Duchene career as well, I think Mike Richards when I think of Duchene, with out the fighting.

I do as well.

WIS
03-17-2010, 02:11 PM
Which brings me to my next question. Who is the next rookie, perhaps already playing in the NHL or going to be drafted ie. Hall/Seguin, who will be that potential Art Ross winner year in year out or top 5...

two24four
03-17-2010, 02:13 PM
Which brings me to my next question. Who is the next rookie, perhaps already playing in the NHL or going to be drafted ie. Hall/Seguin, who will be that potential Art Ross winner year in year out or top 5...

If you are looking for a Crosby or AO type player, you will be waiting for awhile.

Remember this name though, Matt Puempel in a couple of years.

Kyle
03-17-2010, 02:14 PM
The Jr hockey expects like 24 or Pheanuf may know a few names but I don't think you can project anyone to win an art ross in their career unless they come into the league with Crosby/Ovechkin hype.

Edit - 24 beat me to it:p

WIS
03-17-2010, 02:15 PM
If you are looking for a Crosby or AO type player, you will be waiting for awhile.
That's what I was thinking.

So theoretically who could be behind those guys...

WIS
03-17-2010, 02:20 PM

I hear a bit about him since he's from Essex, but still too new for it to be anything significant. Although you can tell me a lot more since he play for the Pete's and he's having a descent season with 33 goals and 31 assists in 59 games.

two24four
03-17-2010, 02:21 PM
That's what I was thinking.

So theoretically who could be behind those guys...

Stamkos is your best bet right now.

Avaholic
03-17-2010, 02:21 PM
Should be Stasny, Duchene from here on out don't you think?

I think it's:

Stastny (24)
Duchene (19)
O'Reilly (19)
Stoa (22)

Down the middle at Center for the next 10+ years.

Surrounded by:

1) Galiardi (speed/forechecking) - Stewart (power forward)
2) Hejduk (sniper) - Mueller/David Jones (power forward)
3) Yip (sniper) - McCleod (grinder)

OUT: Tucker, Svatos, Koci, Yelle

two24four
03-17-2010, 02:23 PM
I hear a bit about him since he's from Essex, but still too new for it to be anything significant. Although you can tell me a lot more since he play for the Pete's and he's having a descent season with 33 goals and 31 assists in 59 games.

He's the real deal, trust me, soon to be the OHL rookie of the year. Real nice kid as well.

I have heard some say he's the next Taylor Hall type player in the OHL, everyone will know him next year when it's his draft year.

Chilly_Willy
03-17-2010, 02:24 PM

Another Peterborough Pete. That team must have the best scouting.

I remember watching Dayts come into the league and even though he didn't hit the score sheet hard at first you knew he was something special. I think you can see that in Duchene as well. I don't want to beat the Duchene drum too hard lol. I mean I think he will be a phnomonal player but one of many you can find across the NHL on mnay teams.

WIS
03-17-2010, 02:24 PM
I think it's:

Stastny (24)
Duchene (19)
O'Reilly (19)
Stoa (22)

Down the middle at Center for the next 10+ years.

Surrounded by:

1) Galiardi (speed/forechecking) - Stewart (power forward)
2) Hejduk (sniper) - Mueller/David Jones (power forward)
3) Yip (sniper) - McCleod (grinder)

OUT: Tucker, Svatos, Koci, Yelle
I like the future of this team.

two24four
03-17-2010, 02:25 PM
Another Peterborough Pete. That team must have the best scouting.

I remember watching Dayts come into the league and even though he didn't hit the score sheet hard at first you knew he was something special. I think you can see that in Duchene as well.

They have the most players ever drafted into the NHL then any other major Jr hockey team in Canada.

MrScientist
03-20-2010, 01:40 PM
Random comment...but Trapped Under Ice just came across iTunes on shuffle and I thought hmm, marketing campaign for the Avs? :cool:

Avaholic
03-20-2010, 01:49 PM
I saw an ad for Kotex Maxi Pads, and thought they'd make a great sponsor for Detroit.

Kyle
03-20-2010, 01:53 PM
That was unnecessary, I don't think he was insulting the Avs at all:lol: I know the name is "Trapped Under Ice" but I think he just meant more that it would be a badass song to attatch the name to and they could make it work being in Colorado.

MrScientist
03-20-2010, 01:57 PM
That was unnecessary, I don't think he was insulting the Avs at all:lol: I know the name is "Trapped Under Ice" but I think he just meant more that it would be a badass song to attatch the name to and they could make it work being in Colorado.

Yeah, cause ya know I hear avalanches are snow/ice and they have a tendency to trap things under them...if I was an Avs fan and they secured licensing for the song, I'd think it was pretty damn cool.

And also, take one of those pads and firmly place it against your vagina dude. There was nothing derogatory about what I said at all.

Avaholic
03-20-2010, 02:28 PM
Relax boys. Don't be shocked to see Detroit jokes when you come in the Colorado Avalanche Thread.

pjm
03-20-2010, 04:11 PM
Relax boys. Don't be shocked to see Detroit jokes when you come in the Colorado Avalanche Thread.

The Detroit guys are a touchy group;)

Kyle
03-20-2010, 04:17 PM

Hey now, don't throw it back at us just cause you misunderstood what Boltsfan said. Just say "my bad" next time, don't try to play it off as a casual joke and not as retaliation for what you (mistakengly) thought was an insult, but nice try ;)

The Detroit guys are a touchy group;)

Yeah, casually dropping by to say a song would be a cool fit for a team's marketing campaign is so touchy, responding with an unnecessary bitter insult isn't:lol:

Kyle
03-23-2010, 12:21 AM
Anderson let out some of the softest goals I've seen this year tonight. He looked really uncharacteistic, let in two of the same wraparound goals that a goalie shouldn't allow more than a few times a season, if that.

Damn shame the Kings let you tie with 11 to go, but 1 point is better than 2. Only 2 points back with the same games played, we're right behind you!

Kyle
03-30-2010, 01:17 AM
I think it was back in that "Colorado is the #1 team in the NHL thread" but I do recall claiming I fully expect the Wings to finish ahead of the Avs even when Col was top 3 in the conferrence (maybe even 1st, I'm not sure exactly when) and the Wings weren't even in the playoff hunt.

75 games in for both teams, Detroit 91 points in 6th place, Colorado 89 in 8th :D

Sorry but you guys had plenty of fun in the first half of the year so you gotta at least let me have this one post :lol:

I really hope these teams find eachother in the playoffs. I think the new faces of the Avs would like to redeem that sweep in 08 and it would certainly be an extremely high energy affair.

DarkValiant
03-31-2010, 10:16 PM
I think it was back in that "Colorado is the #1 team in the NHL thread" but I do recall claiming I fully expect the Wings to finish ahead of the Avs even when Col was top 3 in the conferrence (maybe even 1st, I'm not sure exactly when) and the Wings weren't even in the playoff hunt.

75 games in for both teams, Detroit 91 points in 6th place, Colorado 89 in 8th :D

Sorry but you guys had plenty of fun in the first half of the year so you gotta at least let me have this one post :lol:

I really hope these teams find eachother in the playoffs. I think the new faces of the Avs would like to redeem that sweep in 08 and it would certainly be an extremely high energy affair.

It would be the best of Colorado's plans to win a few games here to not let Calgary sneak up behind them at this point.

Chilly_Willy
03-31-2010, 10:19 PM
Did Anderson's wife cheat on him or something. Guy dominated most of the year, now can't stop a beach ball.

Kyle
04-01-2010, 02:28 AM
It would be the best of Colorado's plans to win a few games here to not let Calgary sneak up behind them at this point.

Calgary win, Avs loss tonight. Now its become dangerous.

WIS
04-07-2010, 12:50 AM
Avs fans, please rate these three and what their point potentials could be: D. Jones, B. Yip and T.J. Galiardi

eff1ngham
04-07-2010, 08:59 AM
That was a sick defensive play by Liles in OT. Anderson was all over the shootout and Duchene made a fantastic move for the winner. Still some time for the standings to shuffle around a bit, but hats off for clinching it :beer::yes:

eff1ngham
04-07-2010, 09:14 AM
Avs fans, please rate these three and what their point potentials could be: D. Jones, B. Yip and T.J. Galiardi

Jones and Yip certainly have 20 goal potential. I'd probably put both of them at 40 points for next year with 20+ goals. TJ has looked really good at times this year (and last year), I wouldn't hesitate to call him a 50-point player if he plays a full season next year, with 15+ goals and 30+ assists. If he plays on a line with Stats again next season then he'll probably score a few more goals

Kyle
04-07-2010, 10:50 AM
Grats on your playoff berth:beer:

eff1ngham
10-08-2010, 01:48 AM
What an opening night! Great ceremony to celebrate the 95/96 champs, and a great game. Well, great as in a lot of fun. There was some really sloppy play on both sides, but a ton of action. Plus, they had $1 PBRs after the game, which helped to offset the $6.50 C- in the stadium.

Too bad we're on like a 17-day road trip after this...

HABS_FrEaK
10-08-2010, 01:59 AM
WHAT!?

ONE DOLLAR...

wow...its 10 fucking bucks for a beer here

eff1ngham
10-08-2010, 09:20 AM
We have a bar that's in the Pepsi Center, but isn't a concession stand. Guess that's how they get away with it

eff1ngham
11-18-2010, 10:45 AM
Great game last night. And props to Kevin Shattenkirk on his first goal. Beauty of shot :yes:

phaneuf6
11-18-2010, 11:56 AM
Duchene called my buddy the other day just to catch up. We're heading down there in March after the OHL season to catch a game and go out with Duchene after. We both played against him and O'Reilly so it should be a good time.

Anyways, Duchene was saying he's getting frustrated because Yip and Jones just skate down the wing and shoot the puck and he never gets any shooting opportunities. Care to shed some light on this eff?

eff1ngham
11-18-2010, 02:23 PM
Well Yip and Jones are definitely shoot first guys, no question. I'd guess if anything Duchene's frustrated because he's just not scoring any goals yet. He's shooting the puck and getting chances, they're just not going in.

I will say that his line isn't cycling like Stats' line or O'Reilly's line. But he's still playing well, I imagine if he puts a few more pucks in the net he'd feel a little better ;)

eff1ngham
11-20-2010, 01:56 PM
Heh, and then last night Duchene comes out skating with Porter and Hedjuk. After that cheapshot he was really fired up, great snipe on that goal. And just a great game overall. Anderson, right back in the saddle. Nice to see

phaneuf6
11-30-2010, 12:37 PM
Flash for Hannan, done deal. Nice trade for both sides.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=343513

dw13
11-30-2010, 12:42 PM
Hope this sparks Flash and gets him going.

two24four
11-30-2010, 02:09 PM
This is a great move by the Avs, they need a stay at home d-man like Hannan.

eff1ngham
11-30-2010, 02:56 PM
Hannan wasn't a great fit here any more with the way we play, so I like this deal. Getting Hunwick earlier, and either recalling Holos or playing Quincey seems to fit a little better. Plus we need some scoring help with Stewart, Galliardi and Mueller all hurt. Looking forward to seeing him in action, hopefully tonight

eff1ngham
12-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Just saw the stat earlier this game. Games lost to injury so far this season:

Carolina - 4
Colorado - 117

Nice

eff1ngham
12-16-2010, 11:31 AM
I like the way the Avs are playing right now. Good chemistry, good intensity, not losing focus as often. I know Foote has been trying to push "playoff intensity" on the guys during the regular season. Considering the insane amount of injuries we're already had this year, I like what I'm seeing so far :)

Gern Blansten
12-16-2010, 11:25 PM
I like the way the Avs are playing right now. Good chemistry, good intensity, not losing focus as often. I know Foote has been trying to push "playoff intensity" on the guys during the regular season. Considering the insane amount of injuries we're already had this year, I like what I'm seeing so far :)

I have been able to see a few of their recent games. Lots of fun to watch. I'm curious on what your opinion is on their net situation? Lots of 2, 3, 4 GAA games where they just come over the top of team with offense to win.

eff1ngham
12-18-2010, 12:22 PM
They have so many injuries that it's tough to say what team will be on the ice come playoff time. But right now they don't have a team built to play low scoring games. Sure I'm nervous that having to score 4-5 goals a night to win games isn't a good strategy for a playoff run, but it works for the team they have in place now.

One thing I'm hoping for it that Anderson hasn't had a hot streak like he did last year, so if he gets hot and starts shutting teams down by himself then maybe it won't be 6-5 every night.

Still, I'm loving this run they're on. They're the best show in town right now :beer:

Motorcat
12-18-2010, 12:35 PM
Just saw the stat earlier this game. Games lost to injury so far this season:

Carolina - 4
Colorado - 117

Nice

Unlike the last two or three seasons we have been healthy this season -- the big youth movement has made a difference in that dept.

Looks like Tlusty will be out for a couple weeks after the hit by Eager - we will plug and play Boychuk

eff1ngham
01-21-2011, 12:32 PM
Ouch. Thomas fleischmann is done for the year. I believe that puts us at 232 man games lost this year. Looks like we could break last years tally

canuckthug
01-22-2011, 01:30 PM
Ouch. Thomas fleischmann is done for the year. I believe that puts us at 232 man games lost this year. Looks like we could break last years tally

Im assuming 232 is tops in the league. You guys are taking a beating this year. Im thinking Forsberg has a good chance at making the team and Mueller has not even suited up yet.

I'd be pretty surprised if the Avs are in the top 8 in March. Obviously, the Avs have proved people wrong in the past (last season) so its hard to knock them now but surely this lack of depth will catch up to them.

eff1ngham
02-22-2011, 11:55 PM
Nice to see Johnson get the go-ahead goal in the 3rd tonight. The crowd cheered him before the game, and then boo'd him after he scored :lol: It was nice to see McClement out there at the end of the game playing some good defense as well. And I was happy to see Stewart and Shattenkirk play well, I wish them the best in STL

eff1ngham
04-08-2011, 09:38 AM
Adam Foote is going to hang em up after this season. Honestly, it's a year too late as this season he just didn't have enough left in the tank and was injured a lot. But I'm certainly going to miss him. I hope he comes out and at least gets a few shifts on sunday for our last game, I'd love to see him one last time out on the ice. Lots of great memories of him over the years since they moved to Colorado...

I tip my cap to him on a great career and look forward to seeing his number get raised into the rafters in the future :beer:

Jake
06-24-2011, 09:05 PM
Its a joke what they are doing to this team. Shitty trade after shitty trade- Just a few years ago this was a team on the rise, why did they scrap what they started to attempt a rebuild all over again?? That team had promise before the Stuart trade but was missing a player or two- no need for a firesale