Bob Clarke WAS My Hero
10-11-2008, 07:48 PM
Sorry, see's he's back. I feel so ashamed.:(

Gambit
06-23-2009, 02:34 PM
Its being reported almost everywhere:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=21681&blogger_id=90
http://www.rawcharge.com/2009/6/23/922485/karri-ramo-to-khl-and-the-tampa
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=rotowire-arriamoeadedtothe&prov=rotowire&type=fantasy

Fuck.

Spartan
06-23-2009, 02:38 PM
No big loss. I never saw what the hype was about there.

Gambit
06-23-2009, 02:46 PM
ha you moved by thread to a thread from October?!! lol

MrScientist
06-23-2009, 03:27 PM
Ramo looked like he had potential at times, but mostly I'm with Spartan here, never bought into his hype. Hopefully we get a decent backup for Smitty though...

moans
06-23-2009, 03:36 PM
he'll be back I think. I can see him playing two years over there and coming back as a starter. Of course, that is contingent on him playing well. I always thought he had the potential to be a solid #1.

Spartan
07-01-2009, 01:09 PM
Lightning sign Matt Walker 4yrs. $6.8 MM.

Another overhaul in progress.

MrScientist
07-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Ranger - Meszaros
Hedman - Ohlund
Walker - Smaby

Leaving out Krajicek, Welch, Lundin, Lashoff, and Petiot. I wonder who's in Norfolk next year

phaneuf6
07-01-2009, 02:03 PM
Krajicek is an RFA I think.

Spartan
07-01-2009, 02:16 PM
Krajicek is an RFA I think.:lol: He just resigned a one year deal per TSN.

MrScientist
07-01-2009, 02:34 PM
Thinking aloud here, but maybe someone is more injured than we know. Or maybe ship someone like Ranger + Prospal for top 6 forward?

dw13
07-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Thinking aloud here, but maybe someone is more injured than we know. Or maybe ship someone like Ranger + Prospal for top 6 forward?

Ranger + Prospal was the first thing that popped into my head after the Ohlund signing. I guess the injury thing could possibly be true though, not sure.

phaneuf6
07-01-2009, 02:36 PM
Could also mean they'll be leaving Hedman out to further develop.

MrScientist
07-01-2009, 02:38 PM
I know Smaby played with a bum foot last year...Ranger has been chronic too. phaneuf, snowball's chance in hell of that happening.

two24four
07-01-2009, 02:43 PM
Could also mean they'll be leaving Hedman out to further develop.

Doubt it, he's NHL ready now, he will be with T-Bay right away.

Hamsterkill
07-01-2009, 03:07 PM
The TB blue line still looks fairly spotty... though moderately improved from last season.

MrScientist
07-05-2009, 02:18 PM
http://www.faceoff.com/hockey/nhlnews/story.html?id=694632eb-30f5-473b-970d-ee869f183785

Nucks writer accusing Tampa of tampering. Granted, it was a quick announcement, but it's hard for me to take this article seriously at all. It's like he tried to come off as a homer fuckhead, talking about Tampa's $10 tickets and them "begging" for revenue sharing so they can steal players from Canadian teams.

Anyway, thoughts?

phaneuf6
07-05-2009, 02:38 PM
He's got a point. Not that it matters at this point. I like the bit about Canadian fans basically paying for Tampa/Phoenix/Nashville/whoever's players through the revenue sharing. So true.

MrScientist
07-07-2009, 09:31 PM
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=284000

Veilleux signed to a one year deal. What can you guys tell me about him? I know he was a checker on Minny, but that's the extent of my knowledge

MrScientist
07-08-2009, 03:10 PM
Tampa signed Kurtis Foster, no news site yet, saw it on my Facebook news feed from them. Apparently they want a balls out fight in camp to make the team, that and they're stacking up for Norfolk.

two24four
07-08-2009, 03:34 PM
Tampa signed Kurtis Foster, no news site yet, saw it on my Facebook news feed from them. Apparently they want a balls out fight in camp to make the team, that and they're stacking up for Norfolk.

Great signing, Foster is a good 4th-6th d-man, he has a rocket for a shot, which is used best on the PP, being 6'5 he also has a nice long reach as well.

Foster should make it over guys like Matt Walker, Smaby, Lashoff etc...

Top 6 in T-Bay could be Ohlund, Ranger, Hedman, Meszaros, Krajicek, Foster, not bad IMO.

dw13
07-13-2009, 05:12 PM
Top 6 in T-Bay could be Ohlund, Ranger, Hedman, Meszaros, Krajicek, Foster, not bad IMO.

Seems much improved, and I like that. I've been pleased with the Ohlund/Foster signings.

b_illin
07-13-2009, 05:40 PM
http://www.faceoff.com/hockey/nhlnews/story.html?id=694632eb-30f5-473b-970d-ee869f183785

Nucks writer accusing Tampa of tampering. Granted, it was a quick announcement, but it's hard for me to take this article seriously at all. It's like he tried to come off as a homer fuckhead, talking about Tampa's $10 tickets and them "begging" for revenue sharing so they can steal players from Canadian teams.

Anyway, thoughts?

Sour grapes for sure, but he does have a few decent points. For a team like TBay to get money from the league and to whine and such, then hand out lucrative deals to UFA's (they've done it in the past as well)....that's kinda BS. And the deal getting done SO fast is fishy.

Mostly though, sour grapes.

Spartan
07-28-2009, 11:03 AM
According to the Bolts Report, the Lightning have decided to buy out Prospal.

Dubz
07-28-2009, 11:30 AM
According to the Bolts Report, the Lightning have decided to buy out Prospal.

Didnt they trade him, buy him back now pay him out? Odd...such is life in TB

18-Jun-08Philadelphia Flyers traded Vaclav Prospal to the Tampa Bay Lightning for a 7th draft selection in 2008 and a conditional draft selection in 2009.
25-Feb-08Tampa Bay Lightning traded Vaclav Prospal to the Philadelphia Flyers for Alexandre Picard and a conditional draft pick in 2009.

toronto1979
07-29-2009, 08:54 AM
Didnt they trade him, buy him back now pay him out? Odd...such is life in TB

18-Jun-08Philadelphia Flyers traded Vaclav Prospal to the Tampa Bay Lightning for a 7th draft selection in 2008 and a conditional draft selection in 2009.
25-Feb-08Tampa Bay Lightning traded Vaclav Prospal to the Philadelphia Flyers for Alexandre Picard and a conditional draft pick in 2009.
So Tampa is now out picks *AND* cash.

Running that organization like a Swiss Newfie clock I see.

Kyle
07-29-2009, 02:14 PM
This organization seems completely incompetent. Thank God I only moved to Florida and wasn't born here or I might give a fuck.

Red Wings fans are so spoiled. I couldn't imagine having to deal with such questionable bullshit so consistently.

Hockeyis#1
07-29-2009, 06:56 PM
It's amazing how quickly this team went from outhouse to penthouse and back again in such a short span.

2002-27th
2003-11th
2004-2nd
2006-16th
2007-16th
2008-30th
2009-29th

MrScientist
07-29-2009, 07:17 PM
I don't get why people are bagging on the Prospal move so much - he is a defensive liability and his offensive numbers aren't on par with what they were paying him. They're correcting some of the cowboy moves they made last year - all I see this as is them taking their medicine.

Hockeyis#1
07-29-2009, 09:20 PM
I don't get why people are bagging on the Prospal move so much....They're correcting some of the cowboy moves they made last year - all I see this as is them taking their medicine.
Because they made the cowboy moves in the first place. They solved a problem that they created via efficently wasted time, $ and draft picks while accomplishing absolutely nothing.

Hamsterkill
07-29-2009, 10:22 PM
Because they made the cowboy moves in the first place. They solved a problem that they created via efficently wasted time, $ and draft picks while accomplishing absolutely nothing.
Hey, at least thay can do something efficiently. :lol:

dw13
08-02-2009, 04:04 PM
Hey, at least thay can do something efficiently. :lol:

:\

Dubz
08-09-2009, 05:52 PM
NHL reportedly sets buyout plan for Lightning owners

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=Al9d1whBYFwdA9movNSNuJBivLYF?slug=cbc-sports_hockey_sp_hockey_lightning_buyout-2000318256&prov=cbc&type=lgns

dw13
09-15-2009, 06:57 PM
Tanguay had a hat trick in scrimmage today, lining up with Vinny.

Malone-Stamkos-St. Louis were together like last year, everyone and their mother is auditioning for the RW spot on Vinny's line.

MrScientist
09-15-2009, 06:59 PM
Tanguay had a hat trick in scrimmage today, lining up with Vinny.

Malone-Stamkos-St. Louis were together like last year, everyone and their mother is auditioning for the RW spot on Vinny's line.

Downie better realize what's good for him, getting this chance.

two24four
09-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Downie better realize what's good for him, getting this chance.

Downie is an awesome hockey player, he just needs to not lose his temper as much, that is what holds him back.

MrScientist
09-16-2009, 08:27 AM
Downie is an awesome hockey player, he just needs to not lose his temper as much, that is what holds him back.

Oh I know, hence my statement. Playing with Tanguay and Vinny could finally be his breakout point, if he is disciplined.

dw13
09-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Lets hope, it would go a long way for this team if Downie could keep his head for the season.

Roy Hinske
09-16-2009, 11:48 AM
If he can't keep his head he will run out of options shortly. Its always been his problem.

two24four
09-16-2009, 12:11 PM
If he can't keep his head he will run out of options shortly. Its always been his problem.

It sure has, ever since his rookie year in the OHL with Windsor, then he went to Peterborough where he had Dick Tood as a coach & he kept Downie in line for the most part, they went onto be OHL Champs & Downie was a big part of that. Downie was also a big part of winning the WJHC's for Canada, back to back. I think a coach like Tocchet will keep him in line.

dw13
09-16-2009, 12:14 PM
It sure has, ever since his rookie year in the OHL with Windsor, then he went to Peterborough where he had Dick Tood as a coach & he kept Downie in line for the most part, they went onto be OHL Champs & Downie was a big part of that. Downie was also a big part of winning the WJHC's for Canada, back to back. I think a coach like Tocchet will keep him in line.

You have always spoke highly of him and his game, but I don't know nearly enough about him as you do. What would we be able to expect from him, given he stays in line and can possibly line up with Tangs and Vinny?

two24four
09-16-2009, 12:21 PM
You have always spoke highly of him and his game, but I don't know nearly enough about him as you do. What would we be able to expect from him, given he stays in line and can possibly line up with Tangs and Vinny?

If he stays with Vinny & Tangs & keeps his head in the game, he should be good for at least 20 goals & 30-40 assists, if not a few more Pts, he has sick hands, & I have never seen someone (well maybe J. Staal) go into the corner like him & pretty much always come out with the puck, he's very good in his own end as well, great SH, he can fight for fun as well, he just needs to stop all the other BS that he does, if he can then he could really be an all round player in the NHL.

dw13
09-16-2009, 12:28 PM
If he stays with Vinny & Tangs & keeps his head in the game, he should be good for at least 20 goals & 30-40 assists, if not a few more Pts, he has sick hands, & I have never seen someone (well maybe J. Staal) go into the corner like him & pretty much always come out with the puck, he's very good in his own end as well, great SH, he can fight for fun as well, he just needs to stop all the other BS that he does, if he can then he could really be an all round player in the NHL.

Sounds good. Between him and Malone, they could be great 2-way forwards for us. I love Malones game, and I think putting him with STL and Stamkos is a great idea. That should be a really strong line, not to mention Tags/Vinny together with anyone on the wing should work out. If the defense can make strides, who knows, all I do know is it'll be alot more pretty than last year.

Can't wait for the season!!

two24four
09-16-2009, 12:34 PM
Sounds good. Between him and Malone, they could be great 2-way forwards for us. I love Malones game, and I think putting him with STL and Stamkos is a great idea. That should be a really strong line, not to mention Tags/Vinny together with anyone on the wing should work out. If the defense can make strides, who knows, all I do know is it'll be alot more pretty than last year.

Can't wait for the season!!

Kurtis Foster was an awesome pickup for you guys on the back end.

dw13
09-16-2009, 12:35 PM
Kurtis Foster was an awesome pickup for you guys on the back end.

I'm interested to see more of him, all I really know of his the huge shot and his health concerns.

two24four
09-16-2009, 12:41 PM
I'm interested to see more of him, all I really know of his the huge shot and his health concerns.

His health concerns are from when he broke his leg in SJ a few years ago, he's fine now & good to go, he played a few game in the AHL last season to get use to playing again, then played the last 10 games of the season with the Wild. Yes his shot is one of the best in the league, he broke an AHL record about 5 years ago at the All-Star game with a shot around 105mph or so. He's great on the PP, & I know he's getting better in his own end as well, helps that he's 6'5 with a long reach as well.

dw13
09-16-2009, 12:43 PM
His health concerns are from when he broke his leg in SJ a few years ago, he's fine now & good to go, he played a few game in the AHL last season to get use to playing again, then played the last 10 games of the season with the Wild. Yes his shot is one of the best in the league, he broke an AHL record about 5 years ago at the All-Star game with a shot around 105mph or so. He's great on the PP, & I know he's getting better in his own end as well, helps that he's 6'5 with a long reach as well.

Him, Hedman and Ohlund sure are some big dudes.

phaneuf6
09-17-2009, 01:54 AM
Hedman doesn't play like it though, thats his issue.

alias
09-27-2009, 12:34 PM
this question is more for fantasy purposes, but I don't think it warranted its own thread.....

Assuming Hedman plays a full season what do you guys project for him in the peripheral stats, most notably PIM & SOG.

Thanks!

phaneuf6
09-27-2009, 09:46 PM
this question is more for fantasy purposes, but I don't think it warranted its own thread.....

Assuming Hedman plays a full season what do you guys project for him in the peripheral stats, most notably PIM & SOG.

Thanks!

The guy plays like a huge pussy out there so I wouldn't expect any big time PIMs, not as many as you'd expect from a 6'7 defenceman.

I'd say maybe 30 points and 70 PIMs. I don't guess at SOG, lol.

dw13
09-27-2009, 10:36 PM
35 points and anywhere from 60-85 PIM's I'd say. The points upside is there though, he won't/hasn't had a tough time adjusting and I expect him to be solid from the get-go. Not to mention, the TB PP has players all over it.

dw13
10-03-2009, 09:29 PM
Interesting start to the season. Gave up too many easy goals, and didn't convert on our chances for the most part. Hopefully not a sign of things to come. Foster and Ranger both looked horrible, but Hedman looked really good and it looks like he will be given all the chances to skate the top PP.

two24four
10-04-2009, 11:23 AM
Interesting start to the season. Gave up too many easy goals, and didn't convert on our chances for the most part. Hopefully not a sign of things to come. Foster and Ranger both looked horrible, but Hedman looked really good and it looks like he will be given all the chances to skate the top PP.

How can you say Foster looked horrible when he only played 2:55 in the game.

dw13
10-06-2009, 11:12 PM
All in the first period before he took a huge shot, didn't look confident at all, more so was directed at Ranger I guess. Although things looked better defensively tonight, and Smith was better. One step at a time I suppose

dw13
10-08-2009, 07:58 PM
Smitty just got raped by Malone and Langenbrunner.. is getting up slow. Has a little cut on his face, but I'm more worried about the PCS.. hope he is ok.

Edit: He is going to continue, looked worse than it was. Good deal

two24four
10-15-2009, 09:45 PM
What was Downie thinking fighting Carkner tonight.

szuturon
10-15-2009, 11:59 PM
Why did Tocchet keep Smith in net after the 5th goal? He started off good but clearly he lost his mojo when his team tossed him to the wolves. It's nice that he's standing behind his number 1 but man have a little mercy on him.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
10-16-2009, 12:11 AM
Damn Ryan Malone has been tearing it up. I wonder if he is a lock for that top line? I can't imagine him keeping this pace but wow. He should easily surpass career highs in goal scoring if he keeps this up.

szuturon
10-16-2009, 12:22 AM
Damn Ryan Malone has been tearing it up. I wonder if he is a lock for that top line? I can't imagine him keeping this pace but wow. He should easily surpass career highs in goal scoring if he keeps this up.

Wait.. I thought he was skating 2nd line with Stamkos and St.Louis...

dw13
10-16-2009, 12:24 AM

Wait.. I thought he was skating 2nd line with Stamkos and St.Louis...

That 2nd line is our #1 line right now, and is on absolute fire. Malone is such a great 2 way forward and will get buckets of time. He surely won't keep up this pace, but I do like his year.. Stamkos and Marty have really clicked, but they might start trying Marty/Vinny to get Vinny going.

MrScientist
11-14-2009, 10:27 PM
What a fucking screw job.

dw13
11-14-2009, 11:05 PM
What a fucking screw job.

:\

MrScientist
11-24-2009, 11:14 PM
http://www.tampabay.com/specials/2009/audio/Zenon_Konopka.mp3

Konopka is definitely has good charisma, and this is no exception lmao

Hamsterkill
01-14-2010, 10:51 PM
Assuming it was the same Dave Andreychuck, kudos for getting Kiefer sutherland to wear a dress on national TV. I cracked up a number of times over it. :lol:

Spartan
01-29-2010, 11:40 PM
Instead of running Bochenski and Halpern out as two of your three shooters, just don't come out.

Quitting would have been equally effective.

MrScientist
01-30-2010, 09:55 AM
Instead of running Bochenski and Halpern out as two of your three shooters, just don't come out.

Quitting would have been equally effective.

Halpern scored against Atlanta in the SO the other night, but yeah idk about Boch...

Spartan
01-30-2010, 11:19 AM
Halpern scored against Atlanta in the SO the other night, but yeah idk about Boch...I know as a fan it would suck. The point of a shootout is to put it on your best players. Weak coaching IMO, if you have a feeling about those guys or whatever, fine then run them out there 4th and 5th. Should be Stamkos, St. Louis and Lecavalier unless they are injured or dead.

MrScientist
01-30-2010, 11:28 AM
I know as a fan it would suck. The point of a shootout is to put it on your best players. Weak coaching IMO, if you have a feeling about those guys or whatever, fine then run them out there 4th and 5th. Should be Stamkos, St. Louis and Lecavalier unless they are injured or dead.

St. Louis has been real shitty in shootouts this season, as has most of the team. I'm all for role players if they can pull it off, but I probably would've went with at least Lecavalier over Bochenski

Dubz
02-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Sold...Ill bet ya he got a bargain

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AjdvHwqgPxUswj.PA0YwEnJ7vLYF?slug=txligh tningsale&prov=st&type=lgns

dw13
02-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Sold...Ill bet ya he got a bargain

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AjdvHwqgPxUswj.PA0YwEnJ7vLYF?slug=txligh tningsale&prov=st&type=lgns

180M bargain!

Dubz
02-06-2010, 07:12 PM
180M bargain!

it’s believed to be substantially less than the $206 million OK Hockey paid in June 2008.
I thought it was more like 150/160 but eh (wasnt known at the time I posted) What did Basille offer for the Preds? 220 Million?

MrScientist
02-06-2010, 09:46 PM
Suck my balls Calgary! Meszaros gets off the snide, about time.

dw13
02-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Suck my balls Calgary! Meszaros gets off the snide, about time.

:beer:

MrScientist
02-10-2010, 12:17 PM
Another good win last night. Also, latest Vinny "rumors" have him going to Ottawa...where's that facepalm picture?

keyboard
02-10-2010, 12:25 PM
http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/picard-facepalm.jpg

Kyle
02-10-2010, 04:10 PM
Moreso than any other team in the league, it is absolutely staggering how disgraceful and god aweful this team would be without that 1st line of Stamkos and St Louis carrying them.

St Louis deserves serious consideration for MVP if he keeps pace and TB can rise in the standings a bit. That shorthanded goal game winning goal last night was one of the most beautiful toe drags I've ever seen. Definitely the quickest. It was a thing of beauty.

Dubz
02-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Moreso than any other team in the league, it is absolutely staggering how disgraceful and god aweful this team would be without that 1st line of Stamkos and St Louis carrying them.

St Louis deserves serious consideration for MVP if he keeps pace and TB can rise in the standings a bit. That shorthanded goal game winning goal last night was one of the most beautiful toe drags I've ever seen. Definitely the quickest. It was a thing of beauty.

He wont help Team Canada:rolleyes: I agree he has earned props not only for his Lady Byng(ness) but also for the way he loves and plays (produces good numbers) the game no matter how mediocre the environment.

chgorman
02-10-2010, 07:20 PM
He wont help Team Canada:rolleyes: I agree he has earned props not only for his Lady Byng(ness) but also for the way he loves and plays (produces good numbers) the game no matter how mediocre the environment.

Who said he won't help Team Canada? I don't believe anybody around here ever said that... did somebody you know actually say that? Wow, that's crazy.

MrScientist
02-10-2010, 07:48 PM
Who said he won't help Team Canada? I don't believe anybody around here ever said that... did somebody you know actually say that? Wow, that's crazy.

Sarcasm, methinks.

02-10-2010, 08:54 PM

I finally got to see Marty play a game in person last year and was very impressed. So impressed that I made a trade for him the next day. He is amazing. He never gives up, always seems to be going full speed, yet is one of the smallest guys out there. Seems pretty selfless too.

I agree about MVP. Without him that team is a lot farther down in the standings. I don't think they even sniff the playoffs.

Dubz
02-10-2010, 10:10 PM

Sarcasm, methinks.:cool:

I finally got to see Marty play a game in person last year and was very impressed. So impressed that I made a trade for him the next day. He is amazing. He never gives up, always seems to be going full speed, yet is one of the smallest guys out there. Seems pretty selfless too.

I agree about MVP. Without him that team is a lot farther down in the standings. I don't think they even sniff the playoffs.

I figure you are up to speed here Gorms. Im sure Team Cananda will be alright the way its built but I personally would NEVER leave a guy like Mighty Mouse on the sidelines. Its not up to me however and perhaps we disagree....but I would have made him fit. On top of the reasons 1158 stated he produces (gets points) and brings other elements to a group that imo would help them become a team. (not that they are lacking...just sayin')

02-11-2010, 02:13 PM
:cool:

I figure you are up to speed here Gorms. Im sure Team Cananda will be alright the way its built but I personally would NEVER leave a guy like Mighty Mouse on the sidelines. Its not up to me however and perhaps we disagree....but I would have made him fit. On top of the reasons 1158 stated he produces (gets points) and brings other elements to a group that imo would help them become a team. (not that they are lacking...just sayin')

I was pretty shocked they left him off. Wonder if he has dual citizenship. Get him to play for the US. :D:eek::p

Just kidding...

chgorman
02-11-2010, 02:21 PM
I was pretty shocked they left him off. Wonder if he has dual citizenship. Get him to play for the US. :D:eek::p

Just kidding...

Even if he did have dual citizenship (which he probably does after living in florida for so long), he couldn't play for the US anyway since he's already played for Canada in international competition. Once you play for a country in international competition, you're tied to that country for the rest of your international playing career. that's why Tyler Myers can't play for Team USA even though he was left off Team Canada. He played for Canada in the World Juniors a couple yrs back, so he's tied to Team Canada for the rest of his career.

Hamsterkill
02-11-2010, 02:27 PM
Even if he did have dual citizenship (which he probably does after living in florida for so long), he couldn't play for the US anyway since he's already played for Canada in international competition. Once you play for a country in international competition, you're tied to that country for the rest of your international playing career. that's why Tyler Myers can't play for Team USA even though he was left off Team Canada. He played for Canada in the World Juniors a couple yrs back, so he's tied to Team Canada for the rest of his career.
I'm pretty sure players can change their national team once, if they so choose, provided they have played 3 years in the new country.

two24four
02-11-2010, 02:28 PM
I'm pretty sure players can change their national team once, if they so choose, provided they have played 3 years in the new country.

Yeah it seems they can once, but they can never change again after that, so they have to be sure that's who they want to play for.

chgorman
02-11-2010, 05:05 PM

Didn't know about this... interesting. good to know. Thx for clarifying Hamster.

Kyle
02-12-2010, 02:49 AM
Wow...St Louis in tonight's almost-comeback vs Boston...just WOW. I'm about done beating this dead horse but how in the fuck is this guy not on team Canada? He is simply a superior all around hockey player than well over half the forwards on that roster. Just insanity, it is just fucking mindblowing how he carries them. Stamkos has emerged as a stud sniper but St Louis is clearly far and beyond the best on that team.

He has 0 quit in him, knows no other gear but 110%, and is just so damn good with the puck. Truly one of the top 5 most entertaining forwards to watch in the league.

Kyle
03-04-2010, 09:31 PM
Caps/Lightning game tonight has been incredible.

Kyle
03-06-2010, 09:42 PM
This thread should be renamed "Kyle praises St Louis/Stamkos."

15 mins left in the third and St Louis already with 3 points and Stamkos with 2. The season this pair has had has been nothing short of remarkable. St Louis overtakes Thornton for 5th in the scoring race and Stamkos can tie him at 6th with one more point. These guys are the dynamic duo in this league right now and are undoubtably the best pair in the NHL.

Stamkos ties Marleau for 3rd in the league in goals while St Louis closes the gap on Henrik Sedin for 2nd in assists. Who could've possibly predicted this production from this line in the beginning of the season? Stamkos is having among the best sophmore seasons in league history. The Lightning have become my second priority to watch behind the Wings because its just so exciting watching St Louis create plays and Stamkos snipe them home.

dw13
03-06-2010, 09:47 PM
This thread should be renamed "Kyle praises St Louis/Stamkos."

15 mins left in the third and St Louis already with 3 points and Stamkos with 2. The season this pair has had has been nothing short of remarkable. St Louis overtakes Thornton for 5th in the scoring race and Stamkos can tie him at 6th with one more point. These guys are the dynamic duo in this league right now and are undoubtably the best pair in the NHL.

Stamkos ties Marleau for 3rd in the league in goals while St Louis closes the gap on Henrik Sedin for 2nd in assists. Who could've possibly predicted this production from this line in the beginning of the season? Stamkos is having among the best sophmore seasons in league history. The Lightning have become my second priority to watch behind the Wings because its just so exciting watching St Louis create plays and Stamkos snipe them home.

They're too much fun to watch man. Ever since I moved out of Florida, I've had to stream the Lightning games on my computer so I can catch them, so I haven't been able to see as much as I want.

Dubz
03-06-2010, 10:04 PM
Pisses me off that one guy drafted Stamkos way too early then refused to trade him....fucker.

Looks like Downie is enjoying some TOI with them atp (lost him on a bonehead move for Myers)

dw13
03-06-2010, 10:10 PM
Looks like Downie is enjoying some TOI with them atp (lost him on a bonehead move for Myers)

And I lost him on a bonehead release, when I knew he was going to flourish at some point. :$

Kyle
03-06-2010, 10:11 PM
Pisses me off that one guy drafted Stamkos way too early then refused to trade him....fucker.

Right you are. Downie with 14 points his last 12 games after starting the season with just 24 points his first 49 games so he has clearly benefited immensely from the line change.

Stamkos scores his 2nd of the night to tie Thornton for 6th in the scoring race. Who on Earth saw Stamkos neck and neck with Joe Thornton 60 games into the season before this season started?

Its crazy, cause I thought Stamkos had a fantastic rookie year, but I remember way back in the beginning of the year they were doing a story on Stamkos' fantastic sophmore season (This is the big reason I love him and St Louis. They've done it since October, no slumps whatsoever this season), and it was the coach or GM or somebody saying they were totally dissapointed with Stamkos' rookie season. He explained how he saw way bigger potential out of Stamkos and now here he is racing for a chance to join a very exclusive elite club of players who've scored 100 points in their first 2 seasons. Great story he turned out to be:beer:

dw13
03-06-2010, 10:14 PM
Right you are. Downie with 14 points his last 12 games after starting the season with just 24 points his first 49 games so he has clearly benefited immensely from the line change.

Stamkos scores his 2nd of the night to tie Thornton for 6th in the scoring race. Who on Earth saw Stamkos neck and neck with Joe Thornton 60 games into the season before this season started?

Its crazy, cause I thought Stamkos had a fantastic rookie year, but I remember way back in the beginning of the year they were doing a story on Stamkos' fantastic sophmore season (This is the big reason I love him and St Louis. They've done it since October, no slumps whatsoever this season), and it was the coach or GM or somebody saying they were totally dissapointed with Stamkos' rookie season. He explained how he saw way bigger potential out of Stamkos and now here he is racing for a chance to join a very exclusive elite club of players who've scored 100 points in their first 2 seasons. Great story he turned out to be:beer:

Man, Stamkos looked like a kid out there last year for the first 3/4ths the season. He really was in over his head and was still finding his way in the NHL. The last quarter of the season you could see the light start to turn on and he looked alot more confident and comfortable (maybe because that's when they put St. Louis with him).

He's a special talent.

Kyle
03-06-2010, 10:21 PM
Yeah, I really didn't watch him too much last year, but 23 goals/46 points is very solid so to hear his coach go on about how dissapointing of a year it was, really shocked me. Fast forward 6 months and now I get what he was saying completely. This guys the real deal

MrScientist
03-06-2010, 10:28 PM
Paul Szczechura with his obligatory snipe tonight, that will earn him about nine more games in which he will do jack shit :lol:

Kyle
03-12-2010, 03:37 AM
Its my nightly praise for St Louis and Stamkos time!

After tonight, Stamkos with 17 goals and 33 points durring this 18 game point streak. St Louis with 12 goals and 28 points durring that same 18 game span. Both players are on pace to barely get 100 points this year, I hope they make it.

...Lecavalier with 6 goals and 13 points durring those 18 games

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-12-2010, 03:39 AM
I love St.Louis and am not surprised Stamkos is doing so well along side him. Excellent position to be in for either guy. Hope they can keep it up!

two24four
03-12-2010, 01:36 PM
They need to do something with Lecavalier, because they will have to give Stamkos some big money as well, or they will lose him, Vinny's contract is just stupid. Vinny at times looks lost now.

MrScientist
03-12-2010, 01:38 PM
They need to do something with Lecavalier, because he's just not fitting in anymore with the Lightning, only thing is not many teams will want or will be able to take on that contract.

What the hell are you talking about? He's coming off of a few surgeries, has a moron for a coach, and his linemate "savior" Tanguay has been a bust. Seriously, Tocchet does not give any lines time to gel at all, ex. putting Malone with checkers, he isn't going to score there.

Vinny is playing great hockey, especially lately. He just isn't getting the points right now. I'm not concerned about him not scoring goals because he's still near a PPG.

two24four
03-12-2010, 01:41 PM
What the hell are you talking about? He's coming off of a few surgeries, has a moron for a coach, and gets no help from effin Tanguay. Seriously, Tocchet does not give any lines time to gel at all, ex. putting Malone with checkers, he isn't going to score there.

Vinny is playing great hockey, especially lately. He just isn't getting the points right now. I'm not concerned about him not scoring goals because he's still near a PPG.

I changed it, I mean more about his money, because they will need to resign Stamkos before you know it, I dont think they can keep all 3 of Vinny, St. Louis and Stamkos, Stamkos will be looking for big money himself. Vinny does look lost at times though when he's on the ice, it's not really his fault as well, he needs better linemates but he's not getting that on the 2nd line.

Kyle
03-12-2010, 01:41 PM
What the hell are you talking about? He's coming off of a few surgeries, has a moron for a coach, and his linemate "savior" Tanguay has been a bust. Seriously, Tocchet does not give any lines time to gel at all, ex. putting Malone with checkers, he isn't going to score there.

Reality check. Vinny is on pace for 70 points. That is a massive dissapointment for him, period. He doesn't bring defensive intangibles, his only use to the Lightning organization is his points.

He isn't Datsyuk. He doesn't get to be useful durring his scoring slumps. Hes either scoring, assisting, or hes useless, period. He is -13 his last 8 games. When he isn't scoring points he is a detriment to this team both financially and on the ice.

Vinny isn't worth his salary. He has had one single season where he met any of his expectations. Hes a dissapointment who has never come close to meeting his hype. Stamkos is what Lecavalier needed to be but will never be. In Stamkos' 2nd season he is matching Lecavalier's only great season. No comparison.

two24four
03-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Reality check. Vinny is on pace for 70 points. That is a massive dissapointment for him, period. He doesn't bring defensive intangibles, his only use to the Lightning organization is his points.

He isn't Datsyuk. He doesn't get to be useful durring his scoring slumps. Hes either scoring, assisting, or hes useless, period.

Vinny isn't worth his salary.

Agreed, he's getting waaaaay to much money, which is hurting T-Bay in the long run. He's better then he was at the start of the season yes, but he's still not playing like he once did, this is a guy who should be putting up 50 goals.

MrScientist
03-12-2010, 01:45 PM
Is any player with a huge contract worth their salary?

Also, I'll give him next year under Vinik's ownership (aka actually spending money on players/to the cap) before casting him off.

St. Louis is getting more affordable towards the end of his current deal, which is up after next season, and there's no way he'll get more than the current $4 million he's getting right now. If you sign Stammer to a Toews/Kane deal, TB will be fine.

Also, I was at the game in Toronto last night, they may as well re-sign Foster but play him on the 4th line/point on the PP, that fucker is sloooooooow.

Kyle
03-12-2010, 01:50 PM
Is any player with a huge contract worth their salary

Yeah, almost every single one in fact.

Edit - OK, I looked at a list. You're right, there are overpayed people past 7 mill. But just because Chris Drury gets 7 mill (What. The. Fuck?) doesn't make Vinny's contract any more reasonable. 7+ mill should be an elite group. Really its only Drury, Gomez, and Vanek who don't deserve nearly as much as they make. The rest are fine beyond 7 mill.

dw13
03-12-2010, 01:50 PM

Also, I'll give him next year under Vinik's ownership (aka actually spending money on players/to the cap) before casting him off.

St. Louis is getting more affordable towards the end of his current deal, which is up after next season, and there's no way he'll get more than the current $4 million he's getting right now. If you sign Stammer to a Toews/Kane deal, TB will be fine.

Also, I was at the game in Toronto last night, they may as well re-sign Foster but play him on the 4th line/point on the PP, that fucker is sloooooooow.

Completely agree. Vinny has played good enough for me, obviously not exactly worth the inflated price tag but he hasn't played extremely bad hockey over the past couple months. He's still recovering it looks like to me, and hopefully next year with good health + linemates that can actually help him out he will score more points.

MrScientist
03-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Yeah, almost every single one in fact.

Redden? Gomez? Briere? DiPietro?

two24four
03-12-2010, 01:53 PM

haha, yeah he always has been, since he was about 16 years old, his meal ticket is his booming shot from the point, his skating was never great, did not help when he broke his leg pretty bad a few years ago in San Jose, dude has a huge heart though coming back from what looked like a career ending injury, he worked his ass off to get back.

Kyle
03-12-2010, 01:56 PM
Vinny has played good enough for me, obviously not exactly worth the inflated price tag

But thats the point...how is it good enough if hes getting payed 10 million dollars this season to play?

The fact is, Lecavalier has the best contract in the NHL behind Alex Ovechkin. Is he the NHL's 2nd best player? Is he even top 20? Is he even top 30? Barely if at all. His contract is asinine and he is not nearly good enough to justify it. He has a 100+ point consistently contract and yet he only puts up 70 points consistently. Hes a bust.

MrScientist
03-12-2010, 01:56 PM
haha, yeah he always has been, since he was about 16 years old, his meal ticket is his booming shot from the point, his skating was never great, did not help when he broke his leg pretty bad a few years ago in San Jose, dude has a huge heart though coming back from what looked like a career ending injury, he worked his ass off to get back.

Yeah no doubt, but that breakaway he gave up to...[someone] was pathetic.

MrScientist
03-12-2010, 01:58 PM
But thats the point...how is it good enough if hes getting payed 10 million dollars this season to play?

These contracts are investments, and just like real investments they carry risk. The difference is that the future certainly looks better for Vinny, he's been jamming out there for the past month or so (just before Oly break-now)

dw13
03-12-2010, 01:58 PM

You can't always look at the price tag to judge how he's played. Maybe if we didn't have Stamkos, the spotlight could be shining harder on Vinny.

Vinny was awarded the contract pre-wrist surgery, which at the time it seemed right to lock up the franchise player (although the money was a bit over the top). I think next year with his health will come a better season.

I've been looking at Vinny without really thinking about the $8M (not 10 million) dollar price tag because of his health.

If he comes back next season, and isn't preforming then we could have a problem.

two24four
03-12-2010, 02:01 PM
The worst thing for Vinny was the Lightning getting the 1st overall pick and drafting Stamkos, now Stamkos has passed him at centre, and it's not helping Vinny at all, as crazy as that may sound.

dw13
03-12-2010, 02:03 PM
The worst thing for Vinny was the Lightning getting the 1st overall pick and drafting Stamkos, now Stamkos has passed him at centre, and it's not helping Vinny at all, as crazy as that may sound.

I agree and disagree. The fact that we could call Vinny the second-line center now, with his big contract kind of hurts the outlook on him. But if we didn't have Stamkos, and Vinny was looking sluggish, then we would really hear more about it.

Like I said, I'm hoping Vinny is now starting to shake off the problems with his wrist and find his stride. Next year, hopefully we can get someone in not named Tanguay and see what he does.

If hes under-performing a year from now... then yeah, problems.

Kyle
03-12-2010, 02:08 PM
thinking about the $8M (not 10 million) dollar price tag because of his health.

Doesn't matter how they manipulate his contract to bring it down to 8 million. This year, he got payed 10 million to play. Hes not playing anywhere near as good as an 8 mill player anyway so who cares?

The difference is that the future certainly looks better for Vinny

No it doesn't. 7 points in his last 12 games, but hes jamming? I repeat, Vinny can't help the team if hes not scoring points. No exception. He isn't a selke winner, he doesn't do ANYTHING good in hockey but score points.

He is turning 30 years old and is having a season barely better than his sophmore seaosn. Yet the future looks bright because of his 7 points in 12 games this last month or so? I'm not trying to be a raging pessimist but nothing about his future looks bright and nothing about this last month has been promising.

Maybe if we didn't have Stamkos, the spotlight could be shining harder on Vinny.

Yeah, poor Vinny has to get by on just 20 minutes a game. ;)

We'll see next season. Ultimately you can think of this or that excuse but the fact is, hes had 11 seasons in this league, and has only played to his projected level two years out of those 11. Its hard to excuse 9 seasons or 82% of somebody's career that he has underperformed.

MrScientist
03-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Yeah, he is jamming. Is it acceptable for him to not score night in and night out? Maybe not. But the fact of the matter is he's playing great hockey right now. I'm not sold on Purcell, but if he starts scoring Vinny will be getting 1-2 points a night, we all know Tanguay won't.

Kyle
03-12-2010, 02:18 PM
But the fact of the matter is he's playing great hockey right now.

I disagree. At least with the "dating back to pre-olympic break" bit. I'm not saying Vinny hasn't been good, but hes not even playing the best hes played this season and this has been a mediocre season for him. So I don't see how a debatably good month (Thats really not so debatable at 7 points and 4 goals in 12 games) that is below his entire career pace (Which is a dissapointing career pace) projects a bright future. I think you're reaching for that one. Ultimately Vinny's future is undecided but nothing he has done in the past month has been comparable to the quality of play we saw in the 07 season and we have no reason to think thats the Vinny we're seeing emerging. Lets see a 20+ point month and we can talk about how he is finally returning to prime form. I don't want to hear how good he looks durring a 7 point/12 game streak, I repeat for the millionth time, he is useless if hes not scoring points.

You sound like me justifying Datsyuk's scoring slumps throughout the years. Difference is, if goals/assists/points didn't exist, Datsyuk would still be the best forward in the league. Vinny doesn't get that luxery. He is a pure point scorer, brings absolutely no other valuable assets to the table, and is a detriment to his team if hes not putting the puck in the net (Or assisting) consistently.

Even St Louis could stop scoring and I'd still say hes a stud because hes so damn good outside of just offensive production. Vinny isn't, he is offense or nothing.

MrScientist
03-12-2010, 02:23 PM
Lol I never said he was back to peak, but earlier in the season he was looking like a lame duck in addition to not scoring. At least he's busting his ass now. Did you watch the game last night? He took a sneaky wrister that Giguere made a great save on - it was very much old time Vinny.

However, 2010 Tanguay + Purcell does not equal St. Louis + Prospal/Modin/etc.

I say let these two lines stay and see how they run:

Purcell - Lecavalier - St. Louis

Malone - Stamkos - Downie

It's fairly obvious that Tocchet can take away Stammer's Marty binky, fairly obvious to anyone aside from him anyway...

Kyle
03-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Lecavalier got outworked for his spot with St Louis. His own fault.

And yes I agree hes working much better than the beginning of the season. But just because hes notably better than his disgusting start doesn't make him great (Which was your exact word to describe him this last month). Ultimately hes still fucking something up because when his talent set plays great, it always produces points. Thats the logic behind a 100 point player like Lecavalier (should be). Your talent is so high that if you work the right amount it will almost always equal points. Thats what we see from Stamkos/St Louis every night. Vinny isn't putting up points so he needs to work harder still or he needs to practice and sharpen up because if hes working enough, then the talent is letting him down. Players like Vinny don't get unlucky if they work and play right, he has a God-given gift for hockey that should've turned into countless 100 point seasons.

dw13
03-12-2010, 09:41 PM
Glad I got to catch the win tonight. I hate not being able to watch the team on TV anymore.

two24four
03-12-2010, 11:33 PM
Vinny scored, off his elbow, take them anyway you can get them I guess.

moans
03-12-2010, 11:36 PM
Too bad Stamkos' 18 game point scoring streak ended tonight. Time to start another record breaking run:beer::beer:

MrScientist
03-13-2010, 12:13 AM
Brandon Bochenski scored...I guess DC is close enough to Norfolk that he thought he was back in the minors and it was therefore ok for him to light the lamp :lol:

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-14-2010, 07:54 PM
No Malone today -- what gives ?

edit: N/M. Upper body. Get well soon Bugsy!

MrScientist
03-15-2010, 10:59 AM
I am really surprised to see Downie getting hammered so hard for this Crosby thing. It's a fucked up play, and you see how it happens, idk, I just don't see a guy going for that intentionally. How can you even? I've played hockey my entire life and never seen a tangle like that that was anything else besides legs getting crossed up.

The fact that Crosby was targeted and Downie engaged is doing a lot for this.

dw13
03-15-2010, 11:04 AM
I am really surprised to see Downie getting hammered so hard for this Crosby thing. It's a fucked up play, and you see how it happens, idk, I just don't see a guy going for that intentionally. How can you even? I've played hockey my entire life and never seen a tangle like that that was anything else besides legs getting crossed up.

The fact that Crosby was targeted and Downie engaged is doing a lot for this.

If it wasn't a tangle up with the superstar Sid, then no one would of even noticed.

chgorman
03-15-2010, 11:53 AM
I have mixed feelings... it kinda look like a bit of a cheap shot on Downie's part to me, and coulda resulted in serious injury, but at the same time, I can't tell for sure if it was intentional or not and I think Crosby did a pretty good sell job on it considering the fact that he was back on the ice 90secs later for his regular shift.

Kyle
03-15-2010, 12:40 PM
At first I thought it was clearly unintentional and people were being dramatic.

YouTube- Steve Downie Trips Up Sidney Crosby-Tampa Feed

But these replays are indisputable. That was a dirty, dangerous, clearly intentional cheap shot. What the fuck was Downie still even doing engaged with Crosby? The puck had been gone for seconds before Downie ever lifted his knee and he CLEARLY drove the knee into the back of Crosby's legs. Theres no possible excuse any of you can come up with for that, that was 100% cheap, dirty, and intentional, no question. If he just wanted to finish his check his leg stays on the ice. He clearly wanted more.

two24four
03-15-2010, 12:44 PM
I'm a Downie fan, but that was dirty IMO, there was no need for that what so ever.

MrScientist
03-15-2010, 12:51 PM
I'll say that the knee was there intentionally, probably looking for that thing where people lose their balance when you push their knee forward, but I don't think the going down/rolling Sid up part of it was intentional.

Kyle
03-15-2010, 12:59 PM
The point is Downie put himself in a cheap and dirty situation that turned into a more cheap and more dirty situation. It doesn't matter that he didn't want it to go where he did, he had every opportunity to leave Crosby alone and quite frankly with how long ago he had gotten rid of the puck, thats exactly what Downie was supposed to do. He chose to disregard that opportunity and move in and lift his knee and push it into Crosby's leg. Anything that happens after, intentional or not, is 100% Downie's fault and should be treated like he did it intentionally.

phaneuf6
03-15-2010, 03:51 PM
I agree, dirty play by Downie. Not sure how you can say otherwise. Kyle is bang on with his last post.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-15-2010, 07:07 PM
At first I thought it was clearly unintentional and people were being dramatic.

YouTube- Steve Downie Trips Up Sidney Crosby-Tampa Feed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsJtvXPhqXE&feature=player_embedded#at=53)

But these replays are indisputable. That was a dirty, dangerous, clearly intentional cheap shot. What the fuck was Downie still even doing engaged with Crosby? The puck had been gone for seconds before Downie ever lifted his knee and he CLEARLY drove the knee into the back of Crosby's legs. Theres no possible excuse any of you can come up with for that, that was 100% cheap, dirty, and intentional, no question. If he just wanted to finish his check his leg stays on the ice. He clearly wanted more.

Me? Overly dramatic? Never! :lol:

If it wasn't a tangle up with the superstar Sid, then no one would of even noticed.

Your anti Crosby bias is showing. . .

MrScientist
03-15-2010, 07:12 PM
Me? Overly dramatic? Never! :lol:

Your anti Crosby bias is showing. . .

It's a combo of peoples' pro-Crosby and anti-Downie. Are you telling me you would have been as upset as your original post if Thompson throws this hit on Fedotenko or something?

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-15-2010, 07:19 PM
It's a combo of peoples' pro-Crosby and anti-Downie. Are you telling me you would have been as upset as your original post if Thompson throws this hit on Fedotenko or something?

As upset? Ehh... maybe not, upset? Hell yes. I hate cheap shots, I don't really care who is laying them. I lose a ton of respect for a player who lays a hit or pulls some bs with an obvious intent to injure, which is exactly what Downie did to Sid the other day.

MrScientist
03-15-2010, 07:23 PM
As upset? Ehh... maybe not, upset? Hell yes. I hate cheap shots, I don't really care who is laying them. I lose a ton of respect for a player who lays a hit or pulls some bs with an obvious intent to injure, which is exactly what Downie did to Sid the other day.

Well, having seen it approximately 39723409 times since last night haha, Downie put his knee there for sure. But I really think he was trying to lean into Sid, be it pseudo leg sweep or not. The stumble/wrap really seems unintentional.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-15-2010, 07:32 PM
As a side note, I was just thinking and please correct me if I am wrong but don't Downie and Sid have some hx from his Flyers days? I think it was Downie who knocked out a couple of Crosby's teeth? :derr:

Anyway -- here's Sid's politically correct take on the recent collision.

Orpik said Downie "definitely tried to slew-foot" Crosby, but Crosby was a bit more restrained in critiquing the sequence on which he was hurt.

"I saw the replay between periods," he said. "He kind of got his leg underneath me and was trying to catch up with me there. He got me in a pretty bad position.

"I don't think there's a need for his leg to be behind my knee like that, but after we both fall, I guess anything can happen. But when you put your leg behind a guy like that, it's a little questionable. But those things happen. It's part of the game sometimes."

Kyle
03-15-2010, 07:45 PM

I think its pretty safe to say I'm far from pro-Crosby. As for Downie, don't think anything of him. I'm not holding his history against him. But this was a dirty, extremely dangerous, and extremely unnecessary slewfoot on a player who had gotten rid of the puck ages ago. This one isn't the least bit debatable, I'll go ahead and say right now you're a damn idiot with horrible judgement (This is not directed at you Bolts) if you can watch that video and not see how dangerous and unnecessary the entire physical exchange was.

Theres no grey area at all here. The cameras capture this perfectly and leave no room to the imagination (like the Cooke hit where its really anyone's guess if he elbowed him or not). That was a dirty, dangerous slewfoot.

MrScientist
03-15-2010, 07:51 PM
As a side note, I was just thinking and please correct me if I am wrong but don't Downie and Sid have some hx from his Flyers days? I think it was Downie who knocked out a couple of Crosby's teeth? :derr:

Anyway -- here's Sid's politically correct take on the recent collision.

Orpik said Downie "definitely tried to slew-foot" Crosby, but Crosby was a bit more restrained in critiquing the sequence on which he was hurt.

"I saw the replay between periods," he said. "He kind of got his leg underneath me and was trying to catch up with me there. He got me in a pretty bad position.

"I don't think there's a need for his leg to be behind my knee like that, but after we both fall, I guess anything can happen. But when you put your leg behind a guy like that, it's a little questionable. But those things happen. It's part of the game sometimes."

I recall Hatcher did - because it was Sid's first game on Versus or something like that, the one where he scored in OT. And eye of the beholder Kyle, I don't deny that it was stupid, but I don't see Downie going for the figure four leg lock as it played out.

Hamsterkill
03-15-2010, 07:56 PM
That certainly looks like an attempt at slew-footing. He probably didn't intend to then fall on the back of Sid's legs, but it was already made a dangerous play at that point because without the attempted slew-foot, they don't get tangled up at all.

Kyle
03-15-2010, 08:10 PM
Kyle, I don't deny that it was stupid, but I don't see Downie going for the figure four leg lock as it played out.

Neither do I. But really, what was he trying to do? *Just* drive his knee into the back of Crosby's leg to knock him to the ice? Taking Crosby down off his feet had to be intentional, theres nothing else you could possibly intend with that motion. He clearly lost his balance and the rest was obviously unplanned but the late hit leading with a raised knee to the back of Crosby's leg was intentional and indisputable.

MrScientist
03-15-2010, 08:12 PM
Neither do I. But really, what was he trying to do? *Just* drive his knee into the back of Crosby's leg to knock him to the ice? Taking Crosby down off his feet had to be intentional, theres nothing else you could possibly intend with that motion. He clearly lost his balance and the rest was obviously unplanned but the late hit leading with a raised knee to the back of Crosby's leg was intentional and indisputable.

Well, he could have been weirdly trying to gain leverage for a hit (late), or trying to push his knee so Sid was wobbly. An odd one, whatever the circumstance.

MrScientist
03-16-2010, 05:32 PM
Carter Ashton and Richard Panik have joined the Admirals, great timing to help the fact that TB has Szczechura, Bochenski, and Parrish.

secol
03-16-2010, 11:55 PM
so how did he avoid getting suspended? wrestling and hockey don't really mixed especially when you're trying to break the other dude's leg

Kyle
03-17-2010, 12:05 AM
Carter Ashton and Richard Panik have joined the Admirals, great timing to help the fact that TB has Szczechura, Bochenski, and Parrish.

Who, who, who, who, and who?:lol:

two24four
03-17-2010, 12:34 AM
Richard Panik is going to be a good one, he will still be playing Jr next year in Belleville.

dw13
03-17-2010, 12:39 AM
Richard Panik is going to be a good one, he will still be playing Jr next year in Belleville.

I haven't been able to see enough of him, but I like what I see. I definitely always go with your judgment on the young players. You like him?

two24four
03-17-2010, 12:41 AM
I haven't been able to see enough of him, but I like what I see. I definitely always go with your judgment on the young players. You like him?

Yeah he's good, more ice time in Belleville after he was traded there from Windsor helped, another year in Jr next season will help.

dw13
03-17-2010, 12:43 AM
Yeah he's good, more ice time in Belleville after he was traded there from Windsor helped, another year in Jr next season will help.

Good to hear. I definitely liked what I saw.

MrScientist
03-17-2010, 06:14 PM
Who, who, who, who, and who?:lol:

I'm guessing you don't follow anything below the parent club :lol:

Translated: Tampa has Norfolk's big guns called up right now, two prospects with a lot of upside have joined the AHL team as their respective junior seasons ended.

Kyle
03-17-2010, 06:42 PM
Haha yeah, I knew what you meant. Aside from some Wings prospects I know zilch about anything below the NHL:D

MrScientist
03-17-2010, 06:46 PM
Haha, that's basically where I'm at as well, I know of Detroit's and Tampa's, but I don't really get knowledgeable on other teams' prospects.

MrScientist
03-19-2010, 02:46 PM
http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/32256-This-Week-in-THN-March-29-2010.html

http://www.thehockeynews.com/imgs/dynamique/photos/300/article_32256_2.jpg

Downie detractors aside, what he's done this year is extremely impressive.

dw13
03-19-2010, 10:00 PM
Stammer and Hammer... i like it alot

MrScientist
03-19-2010, 10:08 PM
Just for Kyle: Ashton scored his first pro goal tonight, Panik had an assist. Norfolk beat Adirondack 8-4.

two24four
03-23-2010, 10:57 PM
With his 20th goal of the season tonight, Downie is the 1st player since Theo Fluery in '01-'02 to have 20 goals + 200 PIM's in the same season.

dw13
03-24-2010, 05:23 PM
Marty St. Louis is just so special.

Oh and that Downie guy has turned out to be pretty damn good.

MrScientist
03-24-2010, 08:56 PM
Marty St. Louis is just so special.

Oh and that Downie guy has turned out to be pretty damn good.

Too bad the team as a whole shit the bed since the Olympic break. Dunno about Tocchet, but I'd say Lawton wrote his pink slip with his little coaching change snafu.

03-25-2010, 07:45 PM
Stamkos with 2 G so far tonight, tied at 45 with Sid and AO for league lead.

Very impressive.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-26-2010, 01:57 AM
Downie is a fucking pussy. A guy I guess you love to have on your team but can't stand otherwise. I've just see way too many dirty things from him to ever consider him above that Sean Avery major douche level. St.Louis is one of the classiest guys in the league. Stamkos is very, very impressive. Would be amazing for him to win the RR. Wish I coulda scored him in my dynasty fantasy league. What a free treat.

alias
03-26-2010, 10:38 AM
and here I thought Stamkos was taken too early in my inaugural dynasty draft last year.... :$

MrScientist
03-26-2010, 10:41 AM
Downie is a fucking pussy. A guy I guess you love to have on your team but can't stand otherwise. I've just see way too many dirty things from him to ever consider him above that Sean Avery major douche level. St.Louis is one of the classiest guys in the league. Stamkos is very, very impressive. Would be amazing for him to win the RR. Wish I coulda scored him in my dynasty fantasy league. What a free treat.

What the fuck is this about?

two24four
03-26-2010, 11:07 AM
Downie just needs to know when to draw the line sometimes, because he is a really, really good hockey player, his biggest prob is once he get's going, most times there is no stoping him. It does seem that he's found a home in T-Bay, he looks great playing along side Stamkos.

He was a huge part of the Petes team that where the OHL champ's back in '05, with out him they dont win it.

I still cant believe Philly let him go as soon as they did, he's a Flyers type player to a tee.

dw13
03-26-2010, 11:09 AM
Downie just needs to know when to draw the line sometimes, because he is a really, really good hockey player, his biggest prob is once he get's going, most times there is no stoping him. It does seem that he's found a home in T-Bay, he looks great playing along side Stamkos.

He was a huge part of the Petes team that where the OHL champ's back in '05, with out him they dont win it.

I still cant believe Philly let him go as soon as they did, he's a Flyers type player to a tee.

I heard you talk about Downie a long time ago around here, and when we landed him I talked him up alot coming into this season to a couple friends... and he hasn't disappointed. He needs to keep his attitude in check, but I love the guy.

Kyle
03-26-2010, 11:55 AM
So what happened last night to provoke you Sponge.

MrScientist
03-26-2010, 11:56 AM
All I was referring to with Sponge was it seemed kinda random, haha

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-27-2010, 01:17 AM
hahah sorry. No rhyme or reason, it was totally random thoughts that's all. I gotta say it again though, I am loving St.Louis right now. I hope he keeps this up for the rest of the season ! He's got a few more solid years like this left in the tank right ?

Kyle
03-27-2010, 01:22 PM
Maybe another year like this but then he'll struggle to hold PPG before quickly dropping off. His type of game isn't going to work as his legs get old on him.

MrScientist
03-31-2010, 12:28 PM
As if TB had a real shot at climbing back into 8th, injuries are now piling up on the blueline. Hedman, Walker, and Smaby are all out against Pittsburgh tonight.

dw13
03-31-2010, 10:24 PM
One of the best games of the year played by the Bolts tonight, IMO.

04-08-2010, 07:53 PM
OTT/TB game getting good. Smith just got into a fight with Neil, got some good shots in on him too.

:lol::lol:

12 penalties in the last 2:05.

Stamkos also picked up his 48th

Kyle
04-08-2010, 08:04 PM
1g/1a each for Stamkos/St Louis so far.

04-08-2010, 08:14 PM
1g/1a each for Stamkos/St Louis so far.

St. Louis goal was a beauty, skating in at speed, back hand, top shelf on the short side. Stamkos also hit a post a few min before he scored #48. Game is getting very chippy.

The Stamkos/Marty/Downie line is back together. They look great together.

MrScientist
04-08-2010, 08:24 PM
St. Louis goal was a beauty, skating in at speed, back hand, top shelf on the short side. Stamkos also hit a post a few min before he scored #48. Game is getting very chippy.

The Stamkos/Marty/Downie line is back together. They look great together.

I think if Purcell hits the weights this summer, the top 6 would be set with Lecavalier and Malone. Now about that secondary scoring, defense, and goaltending...:eyebrow:

04-08-2010, 08:28 PM
I think if Purcell hits the weights this summer, the top 6 would be set with Lecavalier and Malone. Now about that secondary scoring, defense, and goaltending...:eyebrow:

I'm a Wings fan, but the Bolts are quickly becoming my 1b team. My parents live outside TB and I've been to a few games. Great team to watch in person. Last year got a Stamkos bobble head, 3 of them actually. Need to get back there and get him to sign one.

I've got Stamkos on my Dynasty team, also have Purcell on the farm. I'm looking forward to what Downie will do next year after an offseason working out with Stamkos. Wish Marty was a little younger, but I think he's still got 1 or 2 great years in him.

MrScientist
04-08-2010, 08:39 PM
I'm a Wings fan, but the Bolts are quickly becoming my 1b team. My parents live outside TB and I've been to a few games. Great team to watch in person. Last year got a Stamkos bobble head, 3 of them actually. Need to get back there and get him to sign one.

I've got Stamkos on my Dynasty team, also have Purcell on the farm. I'm looking forward to what Downie will do next year after an offseason working out with Stamkos. Wish Marty was a little younger, but I think he's still got 1 or 2 great years in him.

You can be my understudy in this fan hierarchy ;)

Yeah, I've caught the Bolts twice this year, the shutout in Detroit and the OT loss in Toronto. The Toronto game was a great one, Stammer scored on the PP, that guy is magic. I hate to keep saying "next year, next year..." but Tampa is definitely on their way again.

Kyle
04-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Of course the Lightning blow a 3-0 lead

MrScientist
04-08-2010, 08:49 PM
Of course the Lightning blow a 3-0 lead

I don't even fucking care anymore dude, as far as I'm concerned they can play for the lottery now. As long as Stamkos gets to 50 that is.

04-08-2010, 08:50 PM
You can be my understudy in this fan hierarchy ;)

Yeah, I've caught the Bolts twice this year, the shutout in Detroit and the OT loss in Toronto. The Toronto game was a great one, Stammer scored on the PP, that guy is magic. I hate to keep saying "next year, next year..." but Tampa is definitely on their way again.

I took my dad and brother to a game last year and got them hooked. They go to games quite often and my dad claims to know someone in the TB organization now. He says he has had a chance to meet some of the players at one of the games but could not go. I called bullshit until I see it for myself. He likes to pull that kind of shit, so I'm not going to hold my breath. I'll probably go down for a few games next season, put up or shut up time.

Ref are getting out of hand now. OTT on their 9th straight PP, BS call too.

04-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Stamkos with 49 and 50 tonight, and an A to boot. Half way through the game.

Marty with a beauty of a G and an A.

This team is so much fun to watch.

MrScientist
04-10-2010, 07:59 PM
Never hurts to stick it to the Panthers, just as long as they don't fall out of bottom 5...I want a chance at #1 haha

04-10-2010, 08:07 PM
Never hurts to stick it to the Panthers, just as long as they don't fall out of bottom 5...I want a chance at #1 haha

One of the games I went to in Tampa last year was the 2nd of a home and home with the Panthers. Bolts won 6-4, Marty had a G, 3 A that night. Stamkos had a goal too.

There was an obnoxious Panthers fan sitting in front of us, had a fucking cow and everything. I wanted to ram that cowbell up his ass...

Dubz
04-10-2010, 09:01 PM
One of the games I went to in Tampa last year was the 2nd of a home and home with the Panthers. Bolts won 6-4, Marty had a G, 3 A that night. Stamkos had a goal too.

There was an obnoxious Panthers fan sitting in front of us, had a fucking cow and everything. I wanted to ram that cowbell up his ass...

Haha...they promote the cowbell at WFCU (Spits rink):lol:

04-10-2010, 09:15 PM
Haha...they promote the cowbell at WFCU (Spits rink):lol:

I don't mind the cowbell, in fact I like them. But this guy was a douche.

A Bolts fan behind us kept yelling at McCabe, asking him if he was going to keep holding guys. Also wanted to know if McCabe planned on actually playing hockey. Same guy was then taunting the refs about not calling McCabe's holding. :lol::lol:

MrScientist
04-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Another shootout win? WTF?

dw13
04-12-2010, 09:32 AM
Very happy to see us really clean house.

MrScientist
04-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Very happy to see us really clean house.

No shit...now we just have to hire the right guys.

two24four
04-12-2010, 12:33 PM
I hear they like Doug Risebrough alot as the next GM.

MrScientist
04-25-2010, 08:55 PM
http://images.sportsverige.com/files/1533822_466x342.jpg

Totally Looks Like

http://biografieonline.it/img/bio/b/Benicio_Del_Toro.jpg

Saw Benicio in a movie and realized this :lol:

MrScientist
04-28-2010, 07:11 PM
Yzerman, Nonis, Riseborough on the GM short list, per TSN.

My ranks:

Yzerman
Nonis

Riseborough

habsfan1
05-16-2010, 01:50 PM
Mcguire to be the next GM of the bolts? At least we wouldn't have to listen to him anymore.

"McGuire to Bolt? Sources say TSN analyst Pierre McGuire could be the frontrunner to take over the GM’s duties of the Lightning. While the Bolts have held talks with Red Wings VP Steve Yzerman, indications are he only has mild interest. Sources say the Bolts have also spoken with Kings assistant GM Ron Hextall and possibly Nashville assistant GM Paul Fenton. McGuire, a former assistant GM and player personnel director of the Hartford Whalers, was a finalist to become the Wild’s GM last summer — a job that Chuck Fletcher wound up getting. "

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Ottawa/2010/05/15/13962161.html

MrScientist
05-16-2010, 02:25 PM
Of those names mentioned, I'd much prefer Hextall or Fenton.

dw13
05-16-2010, 06:04 PM
Hextall over Mcguire every time. We need to get this one right for a change.

two24four
05-17-2010, 12:29 PM
I hope it's McGuire, haha, sorry T-Bay fans, that will be funny as hell, I would love to see what kind of team he puts together, he has alot of man crushes.

Kyle
05-17-2010, 03:03 PM
McGuire is just what TB needs :lol::lol::lol::lol:

dw13
05-17-2010, 03:08 PM
I hope it's McGuire, haha, sorry T-Bay fans, that will be funny as hell, I would love to see what kind of team he puts together, he has alot of man crushes.

I'm tired of Funny as hell and the Bolts being together. :(

Also, very glad I can't see Kyles comment. :lol:

dw13
05-25-2010, 08:40 AM
Stevie Y to be introduced today as the GM?

MrScientist
05-25-2010, 09:23 AM
Stevie Y to be introduced today as the GM?

Confirmed. All over Twitter.

two24four
05-25-2010, 10:37 AM
Going to be some upset Wings fans, nice move by Tampa though.

Chilly_Willy
05-25-2010, 10:42 AM
I know great players do not always translate to great coaches and managers but you have to feel good about this. Not only was Yzerman among the bes leaders in the locker room but he has played under some of the best management in the game.

Ownership: Mike Illich
GM's Brian Murry, Ken Holland
Coach's Scotty Bowman, Mike Babcock

Not to mention he managed to put together a gold medal team in his first assignment and is still young enough to have played with or against most of today's emerging talents. As long as the ownership and coaching behave Tampa's stock just shot through the roof.

canuckthug
05-25-2010, 10:46 AM
I would have been a scared Canuck Fan if Yzerman went to Calgary. Thank You Tampa.

phaneuf6
05-25-2010, 10:47 AM
Meh, I don't really like Yzerman's decision here. Tampa wouldn't be my first choice if I was ready to become a GM. There's a lot of baggage there he just inherited.

two24four
05-25-2010, 10:50 AM
Meh, I don't really like Yzerman's decision here. Tampa wouldn't be my first choice if I was ready to become a GM. There's a lot of baggage there he just inherited.

Maybe he likes that, he can help turn them around.

chgorman
05-25-2010, 11:49 AM
I'm slightly disappointed in that I was hoping to see my fave player of all time stay with my fave team of all time throughout playing career and post-playing career, but at the same time, that's a little unrealistic to expect in this day and age, so I don't blame him for going to TB. Illitch isn't gonna just give Kenny H the boot after all he's done for the organization just because Stevie feels he's ready to be a GM, so as long as Kenny H is there, Stevie would be stuck behind him.

I don't mind Stevie going to TB. I don't have any particular hate on for TB, they're not in DET's division, sounds like it's a decent situation/opportunity for him in that he's got some great young pieces to work with and build around, so although I'm disappointed that he's not sticking with DET anymore, I'm happy to see him get an opportunity elsewhere and TB is as good a place as any IMO.

two24four
05-25-2010, 11:52 AM
Sounds like he might become the highest paid GM in the NHL right away.

Wonder if he brings Paul MacLean with him as his head coach.

dw13
05-25-2010, 11:53 AM
Sounds like he might become the highest paid GM in the NHL right away.

Wonder if he brings Paul MacLean with him as his head coach.

Hoping so.

alias
05-25-2010, 08:07 PM
Yzerman is GM? Holy shit someone should start a seperate thread on this!

I'm sorry I had to ;):p:D

dw13
05-25-2010, 08:09 PM

In other Bolts news, I'd like to get the guys (24 and Phaneufs) opinion on Ashton Carter, especially for this upcoming season. I haven't seen nearly enough on him.

Chilly_Willy
05-25-2010, 09:07 PM

:lol:

phaneuf6
05-25-2010, 09:32 PM
In other Bolts news, I'd like to get the guys (24 and Phaneufs) opinion on Ashton Carter, especially for this upcoming season. I haven't seen nearly enough on him.

I haven't seen him all that much to be honest, since he plays in the W. Just what I've read seems to suggest he'll be a defensive player who can pot a few goals too. With that being said, the WHL is typically a lower scoring league but they produce great defensive players.

I'm trying to think of a player he'd compare to in the NHL right now...maybe Dustin Brown with less offensive upside?

24 prob knows better.

dw13
05-26-2010, 11:17 AM
I haven't seen him all that much to be honest, since he plays in the W. Just what I've read seems to suggest he'll be a defensive player who can pot a few goals too. With that being said, the WHL is typically a lower scoring league but they produce great defensive players.

I'm trying to think of a player he'd compare to in the NHL right now...maybe Dustin Brown with less offensive upside?

24 prob knows better.

Works for me. I'm not too sure putting him on Stamkos wing sounds that hot to me right now? They need a passer over there if they want to put it as Downie / Stamkos / ???

MrScientist
05-26-2010, 11:42 AM
Works for me. I'm not too sure putting him on Stamkos wing sounds that hot to me right now? They need a passer over there if they want to put it as Downie / Stamkos / ???

A guy like Tyrell could make the jump with his speed...don't forget about Purcell as well.

two24four
05-26-2010, 11:46 AM

Sorry I also dont much about Ashton Carter.

Downie is a really good passer, for real, dude has some awesome hands, I have said it before, I would not be shocked if one day he was to put up around 30 goals, and about 45-50 assists, playing with Stamkos that might just happen.

dw13
05-26-2010, 02:09 PM
Sorry I also dont much about Ashton Carter.

Downie is a really good passer, for real, dude has some awesome hands, I have said it before, I would not be shocked if one day he was to put up around 30 goals, and about 45-50 assists, playing with Stamkos that might just happen.

I really like Downie as well, but I've never seen his passing game really put on full display, I guess.

I guess I'll have to look around for stuff on Carter instead of asking you guys :beer:

MrScientist
05-26-2010, 02:12 PM
I really like Downie as well, but I've never seen his passing game really put on full display, I guess.

I guess I'll have to look around for stuff on Carter instead of asking you guys :beer:

To aid in your search, and for everyone, it's actually Carter Ashton :lol:

dw13
05-26-2010, 02:14 PM
A guy like Tyrell could make the jump with his speed...don't forget about Purcell as well.

I do wonder about Purcell on one of the top two lines, and hope to see the potential everyone has talked about for a long while now. Hopefully he clicks somewhere and can be a top 6 forward for us.

Tyrell isn't a bad idea either, he's mighty quick.

To aid in your search, and for everyone, it's actually Carter Ashton :lol:

I'm going to start calling him just one name, that way it works both ways:lol:

Zangetsu
05-26-2010, 02:19 PM
Ashton Carter is a keeper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashton_Carter

MrScientist
05-26-2010, 02:24 PM
I do wonder about Purcell on one of the top two lines, and hope to see the potential everyone has talked about for a long while now. Hopefully he clicks somewhere and can be a top 6 forward for us.

Tyrell isn't a bad idea either, he's mighty quick.

I'm going to start calling him just one name, that way it works both ways:lol:

:lol:

Something like this would be nice...

Malone-V4-St. Louis

Purcell-Stamkos-Downie

Harju-Thompson-Tyrell

?-Konopka-Hall?

Fedoruk/Jones/Ashton/Panik/Szczechura/Hutchings/Free Agents?

Lundin-Ohlund

Ranger?-Hedman

Meszaros?-Foster

Smaby/Walker

Koshechkin/Ramo/Smith/Free Agent?
--------------------------------------------------------
I think Thompson isn't the greatest, but he's a sick faceoff guy. The D prospects all seemed to be scuttling, as well as those up here...hopefully the new staff remedies that. Clearly the need for depth forwards is there as well, something that killed the team last year. Maybe Yzerman will swing a deal for one of Ritola, Helm, etc., with a D prospect going the other way. It'd likely be a project for both teams, but I worry that if Kindl doesn't develop, the Wings won't have the top-flight defense they are used to.

Zangetsu
05-26-2010, 02:49 PM
Giving up on Hedman already?

As for Carter Ashton, I don't know a lot about him, as I've never seen him play, but I drafted him in a keeper last year, and I did a little research at the time. The label that came up more often than any other was "two-way power forward." None of the reports that I read had much to say about his offensive upside, but they did mention that he's got good hockey sense. He was also one of the most physically fit players at last year's draft.

MrScientist
05-26-2010, 03:00 PM
Giving up on Hedman already?

As for Carter Ashton, I don't know a lot about him, as I've never seen him play, but I drafted him in a keeper last year, and I did a little research at the time. The label that came up more often than any other was "two-way power forward." None of the reports that I read had much to say about his offensive upside, but they did mention that he's got good hockey sense. He was also one of the most physically fit players at last year's draft.

Whoops! lol

dw13
05-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Malone - Vinny - St. Louis

Purcell - Stamkos - Downie

Harju - Tyrell - Ashton

I like the thought of that third line I put out. Young and energetic. Although I really doubt they'll line up together.

Lundin-Ohlund

Hedman-Ranger

Meszaros-Foster

Walker-Smaby

Really not sure how the defense will lineup next year. Shot in the dark there.

Goalie's are anyones guess, really.

Chilly_Willy
05-26-2010, 03:57 PM
I read in that Esposito article Ranger was out a long time with personal issues, what was up with that?

chgorman
05-26-2010, 04:21 PM
I think Thompson isn't the greatest, but he's a sick faceoff guy. The D prospects all seemed to be scuttling, as well as those up here...hopefully the new staff remedies that. Clearly the need for depth forwards is there as well, something that killed the team last year. Maybe Yzerman will swing a deal for one of Ritola, Helm, etc., with a D prospect going the other way. It'd likely be a project for both teams, but I worry that if Kindl doesn't develop, the Wings won't have the top-flight defense they are used to.

as a Wings fan, you should know Helm ain't going anywhere. Ritola... sure, but not Helm.

In regards to D, DET also has Brendan Smith who is a top flight prospect and should be ready soon, so with Raffi still having a few yrs left, Kron and Stuart likely to be around a while, Ericsson in there full time, Kindl and Smith on the way, and Lilja hangin around, I doubt they're super desperate for D prospects right now, especially if it's gonna cost Helm. Plus, I think TB needs their D prospects more than DET does, and they need their D prospects more than they need Helm too. not saying it's impossible, but I don't see it happening.

MrScientist
05-26-2010, 07:05 PM
as a Wings fan, you should know Helm ain't going anywhere. Ritola... sure, but not Helm.

In regards to D, DET also has Brendan Smith who is a top flight prospect and should be ready soon, so with Raffi still having a few yrs left, Kron and Stuart likely to be around a while, Ericsson in there full time, Kindl and Smith on the way, and Lilja hangin around, I doubt they're super desperate for D prospects right now, especially if it's gonna cost Helm. Plus, I think TB needs their D prospects more than DET does, and they need their D prospects more than they need Helm too. not saying it's impossible, but I don't see it happening.

Helm wasn't as effective this postseason, IMO. Just kicked it around as a Pouliot for Latendresse type deal - where both players excel with a change of scenery. Wasn't reading too much into the possibility if that makes sense.

I read in that Esposito article Ranger was out a long time with personal issues, what was up with that?

Yeah, he played like eight games in the regular season and then told Tocchet he needed to go away basically. He had minimal contact with the team...I know I have heard that Tocchet and Foster both briefly spoke to him, but nothing was said other than Ranger was "fine". It's senseless to speculate I suppose. Could be anything from a Legein-esque quitting to depression to not wanting to play for Koules and Barrie. Really couldn't tell ya.

chgorman
05-27-2010, 10:04 AM
Helm wasn't as effective this postseason, IMO. Just kicked it around as a Pouliot for Latendresse type deal - where both players excel with a change of scenery. Wasn't reading too much into the possibility if that makes sense.

Yeah, I agree, for sure, I don't think anyone on the team was as effective this postseason as they were the past 2-3 postseasons (other than maybe Franzen), but that doesn't mean they'll move him, nor should they even be considering it just because he didn't have the greatest playoffs this yr.

He's already a fan fave in DET and is already a better version of Drapes, so I see him being around for a long time. No reason to even consider moving him just because he had a bit of a rough postseason this yr. He's already the fastest player in the NHL, is already great defensively, and with some coaching and mentoring from guys like Dats/Zetts/Franzen, etc, he has the potential to really develop into a decent offensive force. Really no need for a change of scenery for him.

But I realize you're not truly serious about it, and this is the TB thread not the Wings thread, so I'll quit babbling about it, haha.

That stuff with Ranger is weird. I hadn't heard anything about that until you guys mentioned it recently. I'd be interested to hear more details on that story once the true story/details come out, if they ever do.

MrScientist
05-27-2010, 10:09 AM
Yeah, I agree, for sure, I don't think anyone on the team was as effective this postseason as they were the past 2-3 postseasons (other than maybe Franzen), but that doesn't mean they'll move him, nor should they even be considering it just because he didn't have the greatest playoffs this yr.

He's already a fan fave in DET and is already a better version of Drapes, so I see him being around for a long time. No reason to even consider moving him just because he had a bit of a rough postseason this yr. He's already the fastest player in the NHL, is already great defensively, and with some coaching and mentoring from guys like Dats/Zetts/Franzen, etc, he has the potential to really develop into a decent offensive force. Really no need for a change of scenery for him.

But I realize you're not truly serious about it, and this is the TB thread not the Wings thread, so I'll quit babbling, haha

Haha exactly. The Helm, Ritola type, but probably not Helm lol. Just seems like the Wings have a lot of those depth guys in the pipeline...Ritola, Newbury (before he was traded), Tardif, etc

Kyle
05-27-2010, 02:45 PM
I don't think anyone on the team was as effective this postseason as they were the past 2-3 postseasons

Rafalski was better. Lidstrom was better. Zetterberg was better. Datsyuk was better. Franzen was better. Holmstrom was better. Bertuzzi was better than hes been in the postseason in a loooong time. Filpulla was better. Stuart was better. Kronwall was better. Our entire team performed way better overall this year than the last two (Zetterberg is debatable but not so much, his point pace was by far his best at the time). We just totally fucking choked with the special teams battle. We had the highest collective +/- of any team overwhelmingly by the time we were exited because of how much we dominated 5 on 5 play but we just fucked up the special teams.

Sorry to have a Wings argument in a TB thread but I just had to comment on that. We had more guys at or near a PPG by the end of round 2 than I think we've ever had in the playoffs. 5 people finished at PPG (Ok, the last 2 were .92 ;)) with 2-3 more people right below. We were on fire as far as productivity goes, just couldn't shut the door enough and was sloppy defensively. But overall everyone I named was on pace for their best playoffs in the last 3 years.

Dubz
05-27-2010, 03:21 PM
Rafalski was better. Lidstrom was better. Zetterberg was better. Datsyuk was better. Franzen was better. Holmstrom was better. Bertuzzi was better than hes been in the postseason in a loooong time. Filpulla was better. Stuart was better. Kronwall was better. Our entire team performed way better overall this year than the last two (Zetterberg is debatable but not so much, his point pace was by far his best at the time). We just totally fucking choked with the special teams battle. We had the highest collective +/- of any team overwhelmingly by the time we were exited because of how much we dominated 5 on 5 play but we just fucked up the special teams.

Sorry to have a Wings argument in a TB thread but I just had to comment on that. We had more guys at or near a PPG by the end of round 2 than I think we've ever had in the playoffs. 5 people finished at PPG (Ok, the last 2 were .92 ;)) with 2-3 more people right below. We were on fire as far as productivity goes, just couldn't shut the door enough and was sloppy defensively. But overall everyone I named was on pace for their best playoffs in the last 3 years.

Theres a Wings thread:D

Kyle
05-27-2010, 03:24 PM
Piss off:lol:

chgorman
05-27-2010, 05:21 PM

I disagree, but I'm not going to get into it with you, especially not here in the TB thread.

dw13
05-27-2010, 05:23 PM
Theres a Wings thread:D

I'll put the :D on the end next time!!! :lol:

Chilly_Willy
05-27-2010, 07:03 PM
Sorry I have no TB comment but LOL at the last 4-5 posts.

Kyle
05-27-2010, 07:08 PM
Sorry I have no TB comment but LOL at the last 4-5 posts.

Theres a random thoughts thread.;)

MrScientist
06-03-2010, 11:35 AM
Yzerman is going after Wings capologist Ryan Martin and head scout Pat Verbeek. Verbeek isn't mentioned in this article though.

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2010/06/detroit_red_wings_links_steve_2.html

chgorman
06-03-2010, 11:58 AM
Yzerman is going after Wings capologist Ryan Martin and head scout Pat Verbeek. Verbeek isn't mentioned in this article though.

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2010/06/detroit_red_wings_links_steve_2.html

I'm pretty sure Stevie and Verbeek are good friends (although I could be wrong), so Verbeek is likely good as gone in DET.

MrScientist
06-03-2010, 11:59 AM
I'm pretty sure Stevie and Verbeek are good friends (although I could be wrong), so Verbeek is likely good as gone in DET.

The same was said of Martin and he supposedly was not present at meetings either yesterday or today...Free Press declares him gone based on this, who knows.

two24four
06-03-2010, 12:01 PM
It's a given Stevie is going to get who ever he can from DET, he's going to want people he know's and likes. Alot of new GM's do the same when they come from another team.

dw13
06-03-2010, 12:30 PM
Delighted. Take whoever he can from Detroit.

MrScientist
06-03-2010, 12:38 PM
What do you guys think about Kaberle? Meszaros has been a disappointment, but he is young and could help a rebuilding Toronto. Kaberle would bring a veteran offensive defenseman, as well as one that is a free agent after this season, thus not likely hindering extensions for Stamkos and Hedman like a Brian Campbell contract would.

Hamsterkill
06-03-2010, 12:57 PM
What do you guys think about Kaberle? Meszaros has been a disappointment, but he is young and could help a rebuilding Toronto. Kaberle would bring a veteran offensive defenseman, as well as one that is a free agent after this season, thus not likely hindering extensions for Stamkos and Hedman like a Brian Campbell contract would.

I don't think Toronto's going to want another defenseman in return for Kaberle.

MrScientist
06-03-2010, 12:59 PM
I don't think Toronto's going to want another defenseman in return for Kaberle.

Yeah that's what I've been told in the Leafs thread...however I don't think giving up Malone would be good for the forward depth, unless they somehow got a couple forwards out of Chicago. Supposedly they are interested in Mesz, but it'd have to be Campbell coming back for that to make sense.

Hamsterkill
06-03-2010, 01:01 PM
They might take Downie instead of Malone. He could be considered top-six at this point as his value is at a high right now.

two24four
06-03-2010, 01:03 PM
They might take Downie instead of Malone. He could be considered top-six at this point as his value is at a high right now.

Yeah it would be Downie who Burke would want if he was to make a deal with T-Bay, Burke type player to a tee, guy who can score 20-30 goals plus rack up 150-200 PIM's while playing on one of the top two lines.

MrScientist
06-03-2010, 01:04 PM

Downie isn't going anywhere, certainly not for what's likely a rental player. Malone could at least be justified because he has a mildly large contract.

two24four
06-03-2010, 01:05 PM
Downie isn't going anywhere, certainly not for what's likely a rental player. Malone could at least be justified because he has a mildly large contract.

Kabby might not be a rental player, lot's of talk that he might sign a new deal with his new team before a trade would even go down, which would drive the price up even more.

Hamsterkill
06-03-2010, 01:07 PM
Kabby might not be a rental player, lot's of talk that he might sign a new deal with his new team before a trade would even go down.

Exactly. That's the only way Toronto can even hope to command the price that's being quoted.

phaneuf6
06-03-2010, 02:01 PM

Kaberle would help Tampa a lot more than Downie would next year. Can't see Kaberle going to Tampa at all though, they just don't have the right pieces for this deal.

dw13
06-03-2010, 02:02 PM
Kaberle would help Tampa a lot more than Downie would next year. Can't see Kaberle going to Tampa at all though, they just don't have the right pieces for this deal.

I'm not so sure of the first point. Tampa's forward depth is pretty bare, it's a bigger problem then our defense, IMO.

I don't see Kabby coming to Tampa either, it doesn't work out right.

two24four
06-03-2010, 02:02 PM

Agreed, I dont think they have enough of what Toronto wants.