PDA

View Full Version : Official Football (Soccer) Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10

phaneuf6
07-06-2010, 03:42 PM
To continue talking to myself, although I thought this was interest you Conor.

Sneijder is a £25m target of Manchester United.

Problem? Rafa is the new manager, and whiskey nose has to convince him to sell to him :lol:

Where does Sneijder fit in Manchester?

dw13
07-06-2010, 03:44 PM
Where does Sneijder fit in Manchester?

Right behind Rooney. Would be a perfect fit for them, a true replacement for Scholes actually. Fletcher and Carrick behind him. Nani and Valencia on the wings, with Rooney as the lone striker. (In a 4-5-1)

If he continues to play Reseratov (Berbatov) they'll play a normal 4-4-2, and Fletcher will handle the defensively duties and let Sneijder handle going forward.

I really hope Rafa doesn't sell to them.

mrtybrodur30
07-06-2010, 04:12 PM
Was a great game today, fun to watch. Uruguay hung in there though, just not the same without Suarez creating his chaos downfield, was basically all up to Forlan most of the time. Great tournament for Forlan though he played great.

Cant wait for tomorrow.

b_illin
07-06-2010, 05:30 PM
Cavani is a fucking joke. Quit the bullshit after the game, you lost.

Glad to see my boys go through to the final. A better effort will have to be put forward against whoever advances tomorrow.

That Caceras guy was worse. What a poor way to end their (Uruguay) World Cup - that lacked class.

In other news, Roman Abromovich is flying to South Africa in hopes of sealing a £55m move for Fernando Torres to Chavski :lol:

Try £85m and Florent Malouda, and then maybe we'll talk :rolleyes:

That would super piss me off - firstly because it's Chelsea and also because I'd keep before selling him for 55mm quid!

dw13
07-06-2010, 05:37 PM
That would super piss me off - firstly because it's Chelsea and also because I'd keep before selling him for 55mm quid!

He's not going.

madsci
07-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Unconvincing again today, IMO.

I agree that they weren't great today, but they showed a lot of resolve and class coming back from 1-0 against Brazil, which I wouldn't label unconvincing. Today they were good in spells, but sloppy sometimes. Seemed tentative for the first half, could have been down 2-1 at the half. They just started overwhelming Uru by midway of the second half, and got rewarded with two goals.

Will be a good one tomorrow. All my Dutch friends (including the in-laws) are hoping for a NED-GER final.

dw13
07-06-2010, 08:39 PM
I agree that they weren't great today, but they showed a lot of resolve and class coming back from 1-0 against Brazil, which I wouldn't label unconvincing. Today they were good in spells, but sloppy sometimes. Seemed tentative for the first half, could have been down 2-1 at the half. They just started overwhelming Uru by midway of the second half, and got rewarded with two goals.

Will be a good one tomorrow. All my Dutch friends (including the in-laws) are hoping for a NED-GER final.

Fair enough. Thought they battled back in that Brazil game pretty well, but lets not forget the first goal should have never happend. That completely made Brazil lose their heads, and they collapsed. I'm not trying to sound like I'm taking anything away from the Dutch, they're obviously a splendid team.

I think Germany is a much, much better matchup for the Dutch in the final.

madsci
07-06-2010, 08:41 PM
You're right though about Brazil - I'm a fairly casual fan, but I really didn't expect a team of their class and calibre to lose their heads like that. They fell apart like my beer-league hockey team after we fall behind in a game.

dw13
07-06-2010, 08:42 PM
You're right though about Brazil - I'm a fairly casual fan, but I really didn't expect a team of their class and calibre to lose their heads like that. They fell apart like my beer-league hockey team after we fall behind in a game.

Yeah. I read some things (on a Liverpool board) from some Brazilian fans that were scared shitless about Melo's chances of getting sent off in a big game. It happend, and he was looking to be sent off.

madsci
07-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Was that Melo that stomped on Robben? He had just got burned for a goal, no? That was pure bush-league frustration.

dw13
07-06-2010, 11:15 PM
Was that Melo that stomped on Robben? He had just got burned for a goal, no? That was pure bush-league frustration.

Yeah, Melo misplayed the first goal (although Caeser has to be questioned) and he was the one who stomped on Robben. Brazilian fans and media were scared he was going to do something stupid in a big game, and he did it.

I still rate Melo highly. World Cup does funny things with players attitudes for some reason.

suckerpuncher
07-07-2010, 10:36 AM
Less than 3 hours until the game.
Getting more and more anxious.

Hopefully a better result than in '08.

madsci
07-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Germany can't get the ball...

dw13
07-07-2010, 02:59 PM
Puyol.

1-0, 72nd minute.

dw13
07-07-2010, 03:20 PM
LFC's own Torres/Pepe or Kuyt (or Babel) will be lifting the trophy. I love it.

Sorry sucker. Good run for such a young side, they'll be back as you know.

suckerpuncher
07-07-2010, 03:37 PM
The dream is over.

In all fairness we lost to the better team today. It was closer than in '08 but still Spain was a bit better. Spain still is the best team in the world an it will be very, very hard for Holland to beat them. If all goes well Spain will become World Cup winner.

Our team had too much respect and both Müller and a veteran leader were really missed.

But the team played great over the course of the World Cup and the future is bright.

madsci
07-07-2010, 03:57 PM
Germany was great in this tourney, but boy Spain can move the ball when they get flowing.

Germany missed Muller today, but not sure the outcome would have been different. I'm nervous for the Dutch. Still, go Oranje!

Cornholio
07-08-2010, 05:15 PM
I still don't understand how the German's played.
Looked like fear, where was their game of the last matches?
*sigh*

Now I'm pulling for Holland, I don't like Spain at all, Holland sucked 20 years ago, football-wise, but I like the style they play.
I'm afraid they'll have just the hard time as "we" did...

suckerpuncher
07-09-2010, 06:16 PM
Just a heads up. They announced the winners for the last 2 games today.

Paul, the oracle octopus took Germany and Spain to win the games.
So far he's been right on every game during the World Cup and only got one bad pick during the EURO '08. Back then he picked Germany over Spain in the final but apparently somebody forgot to tell this to the Spanish team. :lol:

As far as tomorrows game goes it's probably the most pointless game this year. At least for us. Maybe Uruguay has something to prove but in fact here nobody reall cares if we come in 3rd or 4th.
So there will be a bunch of bench players playing tomorrow. Not only because some regular startes have flu-like symptons (they could play if it were the finals) but to give everyone a chance to play at a World Cup.

madsci
07-09-2010, 07:46 PM
Do you think they'll play Klose to get him the goal to tie Ronaldo? I heard he has a bad back or something.

suckerpuncher
07-10-2010, 05:16 AM
I personally think because of the situation with him needing 1 goal to tie Ronaldo he will play if his back is ok. And the coaching staff is probably thinking the same given this is most likely his last chance since it's doubtful he'll play again in 2014.

And why the hell is Messi nominated for the Golden Ball?
He hasn't shown much.
The only 2 who really deserve it are Schweinsteiger and Villa with outside chances for Iniesta, Xavi and Sneijder.
As far as the best young player goes Müller seems to be lock to win that.

Cornholio
07-10-2010, 10:22 AM
Messi won't win anything this tournament ;)
And I think Klose will play.

dw13
07-10-2010, 10:24 AM
Iniesta? I think he's been pretty poor for his standards in this tournament, IMO.

I think it'll be Villa or Sniejder.

suckerpuncher
07-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Looks like Neuer, Lahm (flu), Podolski (flu) and Klose (back) are out.
In are Butt, Aogo, Janssen and Cacau.

Butt gets a well deserved final game for the national squad since it's pretty certain he'll ever play again for Germany. He was only a late addition after Adler got injured. But given the way Butt played for Bayern he really deserves this game. Especially since Wiese is also out with an injury.

As far as Klose goes is still unsure if he can be even subbed in later in the game. So the record is probably out of reach. Unless there's maybe a penalty shot late in the game. Maybe he gets subbed in for that one.

dw13
07-10-2010, 11:52 AM
I'm interested in seeing Aogo, he was with the U21 Euro winners right?

suckerpuncher
07-10-2010, 12:02 PM
Yes, he was.

dw13
07-10-2010, 03:21 PM
I'm cruel, but that was the best ending I could of asked for. Forlan with his head in his hands after ringing the bar on the last kick of the game :lol:

suckerpuncher
07-10-2010, 03:36 PM
Nice game. You could see neither team wanted to go into extra time after the 2-2 and so it was a good offensive game until the end.

Great to see our team having enough character and strength to come back and win the game. But as you could see the team was pretty tired in the end. Understandably after a very long season. Time for some rest.
In about 5 weeks the German Cup and a week later the Bundesliga already starts. Not much time.

dw13
07-11-2010, 09:49 AM
Really hope they re-insert Torres today. He'll make the difference.

boredguy
07-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Boring finals so far. I'm cheering for Holland but De Jong shoulda gotten a red for that kick to the chest.

dw13
07-11-2010, 03:11 PM
The time Robben should go down easy, he doesn't :lol:

boredguy
07-11-2010, 03:22 PM
Pretty bad reffing the 2nd half, players on both sides diving all over the place with the ref buying it every time.

dw13
07-11-2010, 03:26 PM
Pretty bad reffing the 2nd half, players on both sides diving all over the place with the ref buying it every time.

Howard Webb. Probably the 3rd or 4th best official in England, and was named the best here at the World Cup.

It bothers me they don't take more from England. (or Europe for that matter)

Although, I blame the players for most of this poor game.

Still waiting on Torres' arrival..

dw13
07-11-2010, 04:04 PM
FFS. Torres goes down with what looks a groin or hamstring. Can't catch a break. Hopefully nothing too serious, need him back to start the season.

Spain - 2010 World Champions. Clearly the best side in this game to be fair to them.

Lets get back to domestic football, you know the only football that really matters.

boredguy
07-11-2010, 04:06 PM
I'll agree Spain deserved to win, but the reffing really was shit.

dw13
07-11-2010, 04:09 PM

I thought Howard Webb did really well. All the bookings were deserved, he dealt with all the complaining from both sides and he was fit enough to stay up with the game for the whole 120 minutes.

suckerpuncher
07-11-2010, 04:14 PM
Spain was the better team and deserved to win.
I'm still a bit sad we didn't made it to the final.

suckerpuncher
07-11-2010, 04:16 PM
And as far as Webb goes he did made some costly mistakes. He didn't award Spain the penalty in extra time and he didn't award the Dutch the corner but gave goal kick for Spain which directly lead to the goal by Iniesta.

dw13
07-11-2010, 04:32 PM
Can't wait to see Torres, Reina, Kuyt and everyone back training for LFC.

New Zealand ends the tournament as the only unbeaten team :D

suckerpuncher
07-11-2010, 04:42 PM
Who would have thought that. :lol:

On a side note. The FIFA is pretty cheap. They only play the clubs €1.300 per player and day that a player is in South Africa.
During the EURO '08 the UEFA paid €4.000. More than 3 times than what those cheap FIFA bastards pay. ;)

suckerpuncher
07-11-2010, 04:50 PM
2 more things.

Müller won the Golden Boot. 4 players were tied with 5 goals but FIFA made the number of assists the tie-breaker and Müller leads there with 3.

And not sure how he did it but the octopus got all games right. 8 for 8. Impressing. So you need no brain to pick soccer winners. :lol:

dw13
07-11-2010, 07:16 PM
I really dislike Forlan but to be fair he had a great tournament, but I didn't think he was worthy of the Golden Ball.

Sneijder, Villa and Schweinstager were clearly better and just as important, even Iniesta as well.

mrtybrodur30
07-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Forlan played great though like you said. Without him no way Uruguay goes as far as they did. Glad Forlan won it though, was awesome to watch him this tournament.

Anyways yeah Spain was easily the better team and played better today, well deserved win today for sure.

Highlight of the day for me was seeing Robben choke the 2 chances he had and one of them by not diving like he usually does :lol: Also still wondering how the hell De jong got out of a red card after that brutal kick.

Excited that espn3.com will be airing alot of euro soccer starting next month.

pjm
07-11-2010, 08:47 PM
:(

Ah well, Spain was the better team all night, they deserved the win. But damn Holland came pretty close.

Wake me up in 2012 for the Euro :lol:

dw13
07-11-2010, 09:15 PM
:(

Ah well, Spain was the better team all night, they deserved the win. But damn Holland came pretty close.

Wake me up in 2012 for the Euro :lol:

Just an international football fan?

pjm
07-11-2010, 09:32 PM
Just an international football fan?

I guess you could say that... I don't pay attention at all unless its an international competition, and even then it's pretty limited. This world cup was one of the first ones I really got into, and that's only because the Dutch made it so far.

b_illin
07-11-2010, 10:15 PM

Horrible. My buddy came by with his super hot gf and her friend so bikini clad chicas on the dock won over football, but they left with about 10 mins in the game so I saw that and the extra time. Unbelievable how many yellow cards there were. We'll never know for sure, but I'd say that ref decided that game....or certainly greatly influenced it. What a shame.

b_illin
07-11-2010, 10:16 PM
Can't wait to see Torres, Reina, Kuyt and everyone back training for LFC.

Makes me miss Xabi!

pjm
07-11-2010, 10:32 PM
I thought the ref did a good job with the game. Lots of sloppy challenges by both teams. I don't remember seeing a card given that wasn't earned.

dw13
07-11-2010, 10:38 PM
I thought the ref did a good job with the game. Lots of sloppy challenges by both teams. I don't remember seeing a card given that wasn't earned.

Agreed. Thought he did an even better job of keeping 11 players on the field. Could of easily seen Van Bommel and De Jong sent packing. Mostly every card he gave was justified. Props to Howard Webb.

madsci
07-12-2010, 08:33 AM
Yeah, I'd be hard-pressed to find any bookings I didn't agree with. The ref did fine in a sloppy scrappy game, though as a Dutch fan I am still a bit sore about that goal kick that led to the goal and which clearly should have been a corner.

Being honest, though, Spain was the better team on this day and likely deserved it. And though it would have been nice to win it, it's so unsatisfying watching a major trophy awarded after the crapshoot that is penalties.

b_illin
07-12-2010, 01:11 PM
I'm sure I am in the minority, but I thought this was a pretty mediocre World Cup. I respect the game far more than most North Americans (I like to think I can understand where both sides are coming from - North Americans vs Europe/World), but I have to say that I can't deal with all the fucking diving and bullshit in these games. I realize getting knocked on the ankle, etc. probably hurts more than it appears on TV, but these guys are either huge pansies or incredible actors for the most part. It's sullying the game. If Duncan Keith can lose a bunch of teeth and hurry his ass back to the game (etc.) then these fuckers should have some self respect and play on instead of rolling on the ground like they've been shot. Embarrassing behaviour.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/worldcup/article/834757--kelly-creeping-rot-of-doubt-destroying-beautiful-game

JOHANNESBURG – Legacies are a ways off yet.
But when it comes time to figure South Africa 2010’s place in history, it’ll probably be as the moment when it started becoming impossible to watch soccer.
At its highest level, the sport has descended into a cheap theatrical regularly featuring – even celebrating—the sort deceit that’d make a Borgia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Borgia) blush.
This one falls down and that one lifts his arms in the international ‘What’d I do?’ symbol. The one on the ground begins to roll around as if he’s been hit by lightning. And is still being hit by lightning.
The one up top wags his finger and begins cursing the referee.
The one on the ground peaks out to see if his little act is working. If so, it’s time to start slowly getting up, rubbing his shinpads as if his freaking shinpads could hurt. If not, it’s time for recriminations and soon the whole team is surrounding the ref.
We saw it again and again in this World Cup. It’s numbing. By the time we got to the final, we thought we were immune. And then Holland and Spain raised their sad act to new levels.
It’s a creeping rot that’s destroying the game.
The poster boy here was Uruguay’s Luis Suarez, who not only cheated his team into a semi-final berth, but gloated about it afterward. That so many leaped to his defence, poring through the Laws of the Game like strip-mall lawyers working over a third-party oral contract, was evidence of how far things have spun out of control.
Breaking a rule is not part of the rules. Try this exercise – replace the word “handball” with “break-and-enter” and then explain to me how getting caught in the midst of doing something wrong and subsequently punished for it absolves you of guilt, and really actually makes you kind of a great guy.
Handballs are the very least of the problem. It’s the flagrant dishonesty that now poisons every aspect of the game. Ball kicked into touch? Both teams raise their hand for possession. Foul inflicted? One side claims it never happened; the other waves an imaginary yellow in the air. Lose the game? Blame the ref, the ball, the pitch, gravity.
Football culture is infected with the thing that kills all love – doubt. You can’t believe these players any more. They are not trustworthy people.
While Suarez was the buffoon, the real villain was Holland’s Arjen Robben.
His continuous play-acting and outrageous complaining blighted the final. And every other game he played in. He is a noxious little twerp. That he’s also very good makes it exponentially annoying.
Three words would elevate Robben’s game to genuine greatness: Just. Keep. Running.
He won’t. He has no shame. There is no shame left in football. It’s too far gone.
Try and imagine your dream football experience – give-and-gos with Messi or whatnot. Mine is to kick Arjen Robben really, really hard. Roy Keane on Alf-Inge Haaland hard.
Twice here I was jolted out of the creeping normalcy that allows fans to follow this game without going mad.
The second occasion was the awful final – a match so shot through with chicanery and poor sportsmanship it was the olive pit on top of the sundae of this World Cup.
The first was while watching the other native game here: a Tri Nations rugby match between South Africa and their traditional rivals, New Zealand.
The match kicked off in the early morning (or very late night, as the case may be) in the Grottiest Bar in Johannesburg. This was not a soccer crowd. It was the sort of crowd that looked like it had rolled out of the bar at 4, rolled under a parked car and then reemerged for the game.
Soccer and rugby were once the same sport. Soccer went the mincing way. Rugby stayed tough. Early in the match, one of South Africa’s heroes, a shaved ape named Bakkies Botha, took a New Zealand player down from behind. As Botha rode him to the ground, he leaned his head back and headbutted him with terrific force (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO12nItzYdw) from behind.
The ref missed the play. The New Zealander, Jimmy Cowan, got up and walked away. Replays showed his head was still attached. The game moved on.
It gets better. Officials reviewed tape of the incident and slapped a nine-week ban on Botha. Perfect real-time reaction. Perfect post-match punishment. And the result is a game that still holds honour higher than silverware.
FIFA et al should take notes. The game is slipping away from them, and they don’t seem to care. Soon enough, so will fewer and fewer of its fans.

dw13
07-12-2010, 01:53 PM
I've said it before, I'll go again. I have absolutely no problem with 'diving'. I have a problem with embellishment. Diving is a soccer instinct, just like taking a charge in Basketball, but the embellishing of a foul, or even a dive is what gets me. Too many players are trying to get the other player booked or sent off. That's the problem here.

suckerpuncher
07-12-2010, 07:12 PM
Same old, same old. It's getting boring.

And since the Suarez handball is brought up. How does it differ from a NFL CB bringing down a WR with a horse collar tackle to avoid the game-winning TD for the opponent team with time running out in a playoff game. And the penalty shot being the equivalent to the final untimed down?
Right, the one thing is seen by billions of viewers around the world and the other one is an NFL playoff game. ;)

dw13
07-12-2010, 07:14 PM

And since the Suarez handball is brought up. How does it differ from a NFL CB bringing down a WR with a horse collar tackle to avoid the game-winning TD for the opponent team with time running out in a playoff game. And the penalty shot being the equivalent to the final untimed down?

Right on.

madsci
07-12-2010, 07:34 PM

Right, the one thing is seen by billions of viewers around the world and the other one is an NFL playoff game. ;)

I don't dump on soccer for the diving etc (in fact, some of the super slow mo iso shots of dudes getting spikes in the ankles gave me a new appreciation for the beating these guys take), but I do want to weigh in on the Suarez handball. Your example is fine, but what about in hockey when a guy throws his stick to prevent a goal in an empty net or when a guy is hauled down on a breakaway with an empty net? Automatic goal. What about in basketball when you block the ball illegally from going in the net? Goaltending and automatic points. Seems to make more sense to me.

phaneuf6
07-15-2010, 09:15 AM
Henry to the MLS. :lol: Good enough for that cunt.

dw13
07-15-2010, 09:18 AM
Henry to the MLS. :lol: Good enough for that cunt.

Would of taken him at Anfield. He always complimented our fans and said he would love to play with Gerrard. I know for a fact he still has goals left in him.

What a player in his time, tore apart the Prem. To be honest, he's still way too good for the MLS. He will tear it apart.

phaneuf6
07-15-2010, 09:26 AM
Would of taken him at Anfield. He always complimented our fans and said he would love to play with Gerrard. I know for a fact he still has goals left in him.

What a player in his time, tore apart the Prem. To be honest, he's still way too good for the MLS. He will tear it apart.

No doubt, but it's New York..if players are going to come to the MLS from Europe, its going to be to play in NY, LA, even TO. No one is going to want to play in New England or Seattle.

dw13
07-15-2010, 09:30 AM
No doubt, but it's New York..if players are going to come to the MLS from Europe, its going to be to play in NY, LA, even TO. No one is going to want to play in New England or Seattle.

It's NY, and I'm sure his wages are unreal. He always said he wanted to play in America and the MLS so I knew it was coming.

I just wish he would of given it some time and thought because Liverpool fans would of welcomed him with open arms.

What a player!

PS: Liverpool is going to beat his former club on the opening day of the Prem.

phaneuf6
07-15-2010, 09:44 AM
It's NY, and I'm sure his wages are unreal. He always said he wanted to play in America and the MLS so I knew it was coming.

I just wish he would of given it some time and thought because Liverpool fans would of welcomed him with open arms.

What a player!

PS: Liverpool is going to beat his former club on the opening day of the Prem.

Liverpool couldn't afford to bring Henry in for a cup of tea, nevermind to play for them. :lol:

dw13
07-15-2010, 09:51 AM
Liverpool couldn't afford to bring Henry in for a cup of tea, nevermind to play for them. :lol:

:\

I want Joe Cole on a free but he wants just absolutely unreal wages. No one will sign him for the shit he wants.

dw13
07-18-2010, 05:24 PM
:\

I want Joe Cole on a free but he wants just absolutely unreal wages. No one will sign him for the shit he wants.

Rumor is Cole is in Switzerland getting a medical done ahead of his signing with LFC.

Hope its true.

dw13
07-18-2010, 09:23 PM
Either Joe Cole is signing for Neuchâtel Xamax. Or any other Swiss Super League team. Or Al-Hilal. Or maybe Liverpool.

Via Simon Hughes.

Sounds like Joe Cole will be a Red next season.

suckerpuncher
07-19-2010, 03:21 AM
Seems like Bayern is close to get van der Wiel. Last offer was Braafheid + €15 mio.
But they still could use someone for the interior defense.

There are also rumors about a possible swap of Dzeko and Gomez + €18 mio.
But then again Mourinho "wants" Gomez (swapping VdV), Özil and Khedira.

And Chelsea is starting to make bigger and bigger offer for Torres. Seems like a matter of time before Liverpool agrees to a deal given the financial situation.

dw13
07-19-2010, 05:58 AM
Seems like Bayern is close to get van der Wiel. Last offer was Braafheid + €15 mio.
But they still could use someone for the interior defense.

There are also rumors about a possible swap of Dzeko and Gomez + €18 mio.
But then again Mourinho "wants" Gomez (swapping VdV), Özil and Khedira.

And Chelsea is starting to make bigger and bigger offer for Torres. Seems like a matter of time before Liverpool agrees to a deal given the financial situation.

:lol::lol:

I'll say it again. Torres is not going anywhere.

dw13
07-19-2010, 09:46 AM
Joe Cole is a Red.

b_illin
07-19-2010, 03:53 PM
Mixed feelings, but mostly because of his time at Chelsea. If it keeps Captain Marvelous then I suppose I can support this move.

dw13
07-19-2010, 04:12 PM
Mixed feelings, but mostly because of his time at Chelsea. If it keeps Captain Marvelous then I suppose I can support this move.

Gerrard is going no where. The media, combined with Mourinho caused that. None of Torres or Gerrard were leaving this off season, maybe next year if we don't crack the top 4 but they were not going to go this off season, IMO.

Pretty much we sold Benayoun to Chelsea for Joe Cole and money. It's an obvious deal, despite his high wages.

Now to the left back situation...

dw13
07-20-2010, 12:46 PM
http://assets.liverpoolfc.tv/uploads/16_4c458cd6d2241540758787.jpg

Joe Cole and the new boss.

dw13
07-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Joe Cole today said, 'I thought about the semi-final of the Champions League in 2005 when I ran on to the field and the hairs on the back of my neck stood up. I was thinking about playing in that atmosphere every week and that swung it for me.'

'Liverpool is the biggest club in England'

:D

suckerpuncher
07-21-2010, 11:28 AM
Too bad for him he won't be able to showcase his talent in the UCL in the coming years. Gonna be pretty tough for Liverpool to get to one of the top 4 spots now with City and their billions fully in the mix. ;)

Btw. UEFA just decied to use the goal line ref also in the UCL this season.

dw13
07-21-2010, 12:09 PM
Too bad for him he won't be able to showcase his talent in the UCL in the coming years. Gonna be pretty tough for Liverpool to get to one of the top 4 spots now with City and their billions fully in the mix. ;)

Btw. UEFA just decied to use the goal line ref also in the UCL this season.

Joe Cole doesn't need the UCL to show off his skills, the world knows how good he and Liverpool are/can be. Winning the UEFA will be fine for this year and we will be back in the CL the year after.

As for City, they won't crack the top 4. Buying a bunch of players with attitudes and players who have never won anything in their life doesn't worry me. Not to mention Lescott and Kolo Toure are still their center halves. :lol:

Don't get me wrong the top 4 will be difficult, but not just because of Chitty. Spurs, Villa, Everton are all worthy clubs as well. Arsenal, Chelsea and United are not safe bets for top 4, either.

Can't wait for the season to get off.

dw13
07-23-2010, 08:58 AM
"With a front three of Steven Gerrard (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player/_/id/7935), Fernando Torres (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player/_/id/24257) and Cole I think Liverpool will be a real force in the Premier League,'' Robben told the Daily Star. "Last year was a freak year, but if those three click I can see them seriously challenging for the title.

"You look at those as a front three and you struggle to find a better front three in Europe - and I include Barcelona's in that."

OK sorry, I don't hate Robben as much now :D

gagne21
07-23-2010, 06:55 PM
Joe Cole doesn't need the UCL to show off his skills, the world knows how good he and Liverpool are/can be. Winning the UEFA will be fine for this year and we will be back in the CL the year after.

As for City, they won't crack the top 4. Buying a bunch of players with attitudes and players who have never won anything in their life doesn't worry me. Not to mention Lescott and Kolo Toure are still their center halves. :lol:

Don't get me wrong the top 4 will be difficult, but not just because of Chitty. Spurs, Villa, Everton are all worthy clubs as well. Arsenal, Chelsea and United are not safe bets for top 4, either.

Can't wait for the season to get off.

You are so goddamn deluded it's sickening. City has a better chance of winning the league than Liverpool has of finishing in the top 5. Your comment about buying players who haven't won anything in their life is the biggest crock of shit I have ever heard.

Let me outline this for you, because clearly you don't know what the fuck you are talking about.

Players we have bought past 2 seasons:
Carlos Tevez - won 2 PL titles, 1 champs league title
Yaya Toure - started at centre half when Barca won champs league, la liga title winner
Kolo Toure - PL title with Arsenal, Fa cup, part of "invincables"
David Silva - World cup, euro cup
Pat Vieira - WC winner
Wayne Bridge - PL winner
Robinho - confederations cup winner, La liga winner

Clearly we only purchase players "who have never won anything in their life."

You criticize our centre halves, yet you don't even know what the fuck our actual lineup is. Lescott and Kompany are our starting centre halves and I guarantee they are a hell of a lot better than Carragher and Agger/Skrtl this season.

I bet you City finish at least 8 points above Liverpool this season. Mancini for a full season will bring us a CL spot and perhaps a trophy or two. Now go munch on a dick you scouse supporting cunt.

dw13
07-23-2010, 07:06 PM
You are so goddamn deluded it's sickening. City has a better chance of winning the league than Liverpool has of finishing in the top 5. Your comment about buying players who haven't won anything in their life is the biggest crock of shit I have ever heard.

Let me outline this for you, because clearly you don't know what the fuck you are talking about.

Players we have bought past 2 seasons:
Carlos Tevez - won 2 PL titles, 1 champs league title
Yaya Toure - started at centre half when Barca won champs league, la liga title winner
Kolo Toure - PL title with Arsenal, Fa cup, part of "invincables"
David Silva - World cup, euro cup
Pat Vieira - WC winner
Wayne Bridge - PL winner
Robinho - confederations cup winner, La liga winner

Clearly we only purchase players "who have never won anything in their life."

You criticize our centre halves, yet you don't even know what the fuck our actual lineup is. Lescott and Kompany are our starting centre halves and I guarantee they are a hell of a lot better than Carragher and Agger/Skrtl this season.

I bet you City finish at least 8 points above Liverpool this season. Mancini for a full season will bring us a CL spot and perhaps a trophy or two. Now go munch on a dick you scouse supporting cunt.

I had a whole response typed out, but I realized you made yourself sound like an ass so it's not worth one :lol:

I'm not going to resort to calling you a cunt. It isn't worth my time.

Just remember, you couldn't beat us last year with David N'Gog as our lone striker.

And yes, I'll take your bet that City finish at least 8 points above Liverpool, and that you have a better chance of winning the league then we have to finish in the top 5.

dw13
07-23-2010, 07:53 PM
Anywho, back to some civilized talk...

Suckerpuncher, I recently heard/read something about Marcell Jansen as a possible target for Liverpool? I saw him score for Germany but I was under the impression he's more of a Leftmid then Leftback? Just curious about him, as Liverpool are in dire need for a LB.

suckerpuncher
07-24-2010, 03:50 AM
Janssen can play pretty much anywhere on the left side.
He started out as left back but he has more potential when he plays more offensive. In Hamburg he had Boateng or Aogo playing back for once because they were better on defense and because he was injured for quite some time and barely made our national squad.
But he can play as a back but then he'll still try to get more involved in the offense. So you'd need a right back who stays more behind so you can shift your defense a bit in case Janssen is not back in time during a counter attack.
Just like Bayern did last year when they allowed Lahm to get more involved during attacks and whoever played on the left side needed to stay back.

If you needed a defensive minded LB you should have taken Boateng and not have let him go to City.
Talk about pouring some more fuel to the fire. :D

dw13
07-24-2010, 09:04 AM
Yeah, well with Glen Johnson on the other side that doesn't seem like a good match.

Way to antagonize :lol:

suckerpuncher
07-24-2010, 10:38 AM
Not really impressive what Liverpool is doing right now at their friendly match in Kaiserslautern. I know Liverpool is more or less playing with a B squad but still they could do a bit better against a team which was just promoted from the 2. Bundesliga.

On the bright side I put some money on Kaiserslautern before the game so go K'Lautern. :D

dw13
07-24-2010, 10:42 AM
Not really impressive what Liverpool is doing right now at their friendly match in Kaiserslautern. I know Liverpool is more or less playing with a B squad but still they could do a bit better against a team which was just promoted from the 2. Bundesliga.

On the bright side I put some money on Kaiserslautern before the game so go K'Lautern. :D

We've been shit so far, and that's an understatement. There is no first teamers out there though, minus Lucas and even then...it's Lucas.

Kaiserslatern has a couple really pacey wingers I've been impressed with thus far.

dw13
07-25-2010, 08:27 AM
PS: Gagne, if Torres decides he's had enough of the Owners and Purslow and leaves us... I withdraw my acceptance of the bet :lol:. No one in the world can replace Fernando.

heliosj
07-28-2010, 08:06 PM
This is going to be a massacre.

suckerpuncher
07-29-2010, 09:06 AM
Are you talking about the MLS All-Stars vs. ManU?

MTR
07-29-2010, 10:06 AM
So now that they finally lost to a foreign team can we go back to normal all-star game format. I really hate playing foreign teams every year.

MTR
07-29-2010, 10:07 AM
Went to see AC St. Louis play last night. Saw first hat trick in team history. :)

heliosj
07-29-2010, 10:08 AM
Are you talking about the MLS All-Stars vs. ManU?Yah, I was. Sorry, shouldn't have put that in better context.

dw13
07-29-2010, 03:35 PM
Good start to the season for Liverpool.

2-0 win on the road in the Europa qualifier. N'Gog with both.

suckerpuncher
07-29-2010, 04:01 PM
You can be proud. Rabotnicki is a real powerhouse in the world of soccer. :rolleyes: :D

dw13
07-29-2010, 04:05 PM
You can be proud. Rabotnicki is a real powerhouse in the world of soccer. :rolleyes: :D

It isn't like we played our first team, either. :rolleyes:

After watching our youth play so poorly against a newly promoted Bundesliga side, it was nice to see them come out and play so well today.

dw13
08-02-2010, 10:33 AM
Hoping I don't jinx it... but it sounds like the Chinese Billionaire really has a plan in... going to buy the debt off the bank and force H&G's hand. It sounds more serious then anything ever before... they are calling it a 'hostile takeover'

I just ordered Chinese for lunch out of admiration and hope for Huang to takeover :D

suckerpuncher
08-02-2010, 11:18 AM
And what happens then? In a couple of years he loses interest in the team and everything is back to square one.

The whole system in England is flawed since a club should never be owned by anyone from the outside but by the club themself.
Outside investors/owners are bad. Once they don't care anymore and leave it's more or less scorched earth.

dw13
08-02-2010, 11:25 AM
And what happens then? In a couple of years he loses interest in the team and everything is back to square one.

The whole system in England is flawed since a club should never be owned by anyone from the outside but by the club themself.
Outside investors/owners are bad. Once they don't care anymore and leave it's more or less scorched earth.

Lets just say his interest ends up fading, but he has already built a stadium, invested in the club for players and improved the club in general. It's a brighter future for the next set of owners. H&G have done absolutely NOTHING to help LFC. Nothing.

I do agree with what you are saying, everything in England is getting completely out of control but Huang could really bring financial stability to LFC, and it's needed.

Just look at what the Emirates Stadium has done for Arsenal, value wise.

suckerpuncher
08-03-2010, 12:52 PM
Guess who's out for the next 2 month with a muscle injury.

It's the same muscle he injured right before the WC and where he refused to visited Bayern's doc and went to some "miracle doctor" instead so he could play at the WC.
The Bayern bosses are really pissed for one because he didn't went to the team doc when he got injured in the first place and also because he didn't checked it after the WC was over but waited until now when his vacation is over.

Luckily Bayern is strong enough on offense to compensate this loss. They just need to shift Müller over to the right and let Kroos take over the middle and they are still better than any other team in the Bundesliga.

dw13
08-03-2010, 12:55 PM
Yeah, I heard about that. Tough news, but like you said, Bayern is strong enough in depth.

Kroos plays in my central mid in Football Manager with Eden Hazard. They both are World Class in FM, and that's all that matters :D

dw13
08-03-2010, 02:02 PM
The latest rumor on the LFC Takeover is that the chairman Martin Broughton has informed the PL of a change of ownership, which requires 10 days notice.

Could it really be the end of the nightmare?

b_illin
08-04-2010, 01:17 PM
http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/article/843665--syrian-says-canadian-based-bid-closing-in-on-liverpool-fc

Sweet!

dw13
08-04-2010, 01:21 PM
http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/article/843665--syrian-says-canadian-based-bid-closing-in-on-liverpool-fc

Sweet!

Not sweet AT ALL.

That's a friend of Gillette and I think it's a backdoor way either: A) Delaying the Huang bid, and trying to put pressure on him. B) A backdoor into Gillette staying on board with the Liverpool board.

This guy does NOT have the finances, nor the passion needed to take over Liverpool. It's a reason why he was dismissed before as a serious bidder.

I think Huang has been going about it the perfect way, he has come out now and said he only has interest 'investing in LFC' which is trying to keep his movement with RBS and BarCap on the downlow.

If Kirdi gets awared Liverpool, he could go about buying the debt off, and if there isn't a spade in Stanley Park within 90 days of him buying the team. We'll know he's just as fraud as H+G are/were. (Or if Gillette somehow keeps his head on the LFC Board w/ Kirdi). Hopefully, the things he has promised would be true and he would hand Hodgson a transfer kitty, pay the debt and really get to work at Stanley Park. If all of those things happen, I don't care who buys LFC. Kirdi just leaves me hanging on the reason why he's back bidding... I think its a G+H delay tactic on Huang but I don't know.

I'm still really hoping Huang and Co. are getting it done.

dw13
08-04-2010, 03:40 PM
I've heard now that it's confirmed that Huang's backing is from the CIC. Liverpool would easily become the wealthiest club in the world, and the backing would make even City's owners look somewhat poor.

I'll be shocked, amazed and baffled if Huang and Co. do not get awarded LFC.

suckerpuncher
08-05-2010, 06:32 AM
Just read an interesting article that CIC is 100% owned by the Chinese government and Huang refused comment on this and his involvement with the Chinese government.

Interesting to see if the club will be sold to them.

dw13
08-05-2010, 08:29 AM
Just read an interesting article that CIC is 100% owned by the Chinese government and Huang refused comment on this and his involvement with the Chinese government.

There is so much really weird bullshit and what not. I've gotten really confused over the past couple days. I wish I could get some real truth of the situation.

Right now, it looks like there are 4 real bidders at the table:

Rhone Group (Hicks favorite) -- shitty. just as bad as what we have now.
Kirdi (Gillette's favorite) -- could be alright but don't trust him at all.
the Kuwaiti family -- definitely better then what we have now.
Huang -- still think he's the best option.

dw13
08-05-2010, 10:31 AM
Tony Barrett reporting that the claims that Huang has nothing to do with the CIC are false, and Huang is rumored to be preparing a statement later today...

There is sooo much shit going on. I'm just going to shut up until it plays out.

b_illin
08-05-2010, 10:51 AM

I have a bad feeling with that group. (and my excitement was with the CDN bidders being CDN....I haven't been following this too closely so don't really know who's who, etc. - I will say that Gillette and Hicks (more Hicks) are tools but they got fucked by bad timing with the credit crunch....I think an ownership group can be highly leveraged and do a great job going forward as the lending is starting to ease...I would think they could easily find banks willing to loan them big money to build a stadium, etc....they have 'the brand' afterall

dw13
08-05-2010, 10:59 AM
I have a bad feeling with that group. (and my excitement was with the CDN bidders being CDN....I haven't been following this too closely so don't really know who's who, etc. - I will say that Gillette and Hicks (more Hicks) are tools but they got fucked by bad timing with the credit crunch....I think an ownership group can be highly leveraged and do a great job going forward as the lending is starting to ease...I would think they could easily find banks willing to loan them big money to build a stadium, etc....they have 'the brand' afterall

Stanley Park NEEDS to be worked on and the new stadium NEEDS to be built. That is NUMBER ONE.

Kirdi has already been rejected because he wasn't a suitable buyer months ago when they first put LFC up for sale. Now he's back because Gillette and Hicks are trying to delay any possible sale to Huang (or anyone else of that matter). Just like the Rhone Group and their affiliation with Hicks.

H+G need to just GO AWAY. Broughton GO AWAY.

Kirdi will have alot to prove if he gets awarded Liverpool, that's for certain.

Good news for the day is it's Hodgson's Anfield debut and we are fielding a good first 11.

dw13
08-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Liverpool have told potential bidders for the club that they have until the middle of next week to prove they have the cash. The Times has also learnt more details about the leading bid, backed by the Chinese Government.

Martin Broughton, the Liverpool chairman, set the deadline yesterday. The club could change ownership as quickly as next Friday with the consortium fronted by Kenny Huang, the Hong Kong-based entrepreneur, remaining in pole position.

China Investment Capital (CIC), the investment arm of the Chinese Government, holds a significant stake in the bid, as revealed by The Times yesterday. It has now emerged that the man responsible for raising cash for the Chinese consortium is Dr Yang Guang, the executive vice-president of Franklin Templeton Investments, one of the largest global investment fund groups.

The New York-based Guang has acquired finance from a number of sources, including significant investment from banking institutions, but CIC would hold the majority stake in any takeover. However, CIC will not invest directly in the Merseyside club, but into a new company created specifically to push the deal through.
Guang joined QSL Sports Limited, Huang’s company, in May and has been a conduit for Chinese investment in the West since the early 1990s. The Harvard-educated financier has strong links with the Chinese Government.

Despite reports to the contrary yesterday, CIC has not denied its involvement in the Liverpool bid. Officials at China’s investment fund have assessed the business plans for the club and believe that CIC will make a considerable profit by pumping money into Anfield.

The decision to attempt to invest in Liverpool was taken purely on money-making potential and sources close to the deal were keen to distinguish CIC’s intentions from the takeovers at Chelsea and Manchester City, which came down to the decisions of rich individuals — Roman Abramovich and Sheihk Mansour respectively — to buy the clubs.

Unlike the owners of Chelsea and City, CIC would have little input in the day-to-day running of the club. Decision-making at Anfield would be left to executives with extensive experience in the Premier League, with new positions created to exploit Far Eastern markets.

Huang has already told Barclays Capital (BarCap), the investment bank brokering the sale, the Premier League and Broughton that he has the backing of CIC. BarCap needs proof that bidders are good for the £300 million plus required to buy the club before they can pass through to a final round of the auction.

Supporter reaction to the idea of Chinese-led ownership was generally favourable yesterday, with the majority of fans keen to see the back of Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr, the present co-owners.

The two other bids that remained on the table yesterday are thought to be from the private equity group, Rhône Capital, and the billionaire al-Kharafi family of Kuwait.
Further pressure was heaped on Hicks and Gillett to finalise a swift sale when an American court ruled yesterday that Hicks’s creditors can attempt to seize his assets.

The judge handling the bankruptcy of Hicks’s baseball team, the Texas Rangers, said lenders — who are still owed $525 million after the Texan defaulted on loans — can pursue his other companies for the money. One of the Rangers’ creditors is Alex Rodríguez, the former player and the youngest baseball player to hit 600 home runs.

Broughton declined to comment last night on whether creditors could try to enforce their claims against Hicks’s share of Liverpool.

Times Online

Going to be in the Times, tomorrow.

dw13
08-06-2010, 09:17 AM
In a series of trades since 19 July, CIC has sold $558m of shares in Morgan Stanley, equating to £351.4m. That sum is equivalent to Liverpool's debt to the nearest decimal place, and is exactly the number insiders say has been quoted to interested parties as the sale price.

:rolleyes:

dw13
08-14-2010, 08:47 AM
Props to Joe Hart, he was outstanding today to get Man City the point at WHL.

Start of the PL! Woo! :beer:

phaneuf6
08-15-2010, 11:03 AM
Thanks for coming out Joe Cole. :lol:

dw13
08-15-2010, 11:57 AM
Thanks for coming out Joe Cole. :lol:

Fucking wind me up. NEVER is that a red card. NEVER. Absolute shocking.

Reina's mistake was just so unfair, the red was just so unfair.

At the end of the day, I guess a draw was the right result but pretty wild game.

Joe Cole's red could should be rescinded.

And the rollercoaster ride begins...

dw13
08-17-2010, 02:16 PM
28 minutes in and Young Boys are up THREE - zero on Tottenham in the first leg of the UCL playoff stage.

dw13
08-17-2010, 02:28 PM
And there is a way back for Spurs now, Bassong pulls one back.

3-1.

dw13
08-17-2010, 03:29 PM
Pavlyuchenko pulls another one back.

3-2, and I can see if it ends this way, Spurs going through.

dw13
08-20-2010, 01:50 PM
Going to enjoy this Bayern vs Wolfsburg game... like I know you are too Sucker

suckerpuncher
08-20-2010, 02:00 PM
I do for sure. Once again a nice goal by Müller.
A year ago noboy knew him and now he's almost irreplaceable.

dw13
08-20-2010, 02:09 PM
I do for sure. Once again a nice goal by Müller.
A year ago noboy knew him and now he's almost irreplaceable.

yeah it was a well taken goal

dw13
08-20-2010, 02:11 PM
Interrupting this game to hear that Huang has withdrawn his bid for LFC is a real bummer.

dw13
08-20-2010, 02:56 PM
I really, really like Dzeko.

phaneuf6
08-20-2010, 03:05 PM
Man City over Liverpool this week.

dw13
08-20-2010, 03:11 PM
Man City over Liverpool this week.

At the Eastlands, I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.

Both teams were bad midweek, and sluggish on the first weekend though.

Lets just hope LFC's monday record is better under Roy then it was Rafa :lol:

Edit: Conor you must be really hoping your boytoy Given is sold off. After last weekend, there's no hope for him getting the job back from Joe Hart

dw13
08-20-2010, 03:30 PM
What a dramatic winner from Schweinsteiger. Poor stuff from the keeper.

Great game.

suckerpuncher
08-20-2010, 03:37 PM
Bayern looked tired in the second half. Understandbly considering 8 players played either in the final or the 3rd place game at the WC.
But in the end they just wanted it more and scored the late winner as they have many times in the past.

The first win is always important. Now they just need just 33 more to win the Bundesliga with the max. of 102 points. :lol:

phaneuf6
08-20-2010, 03:49 PM
At the Eastlands, I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.

Both teams were bad midweek, and sluggish on the first weekend though.

Lets just hope LFC's monday record is better under Roy then it was Rafa :lol:

Edit: Conor you must be really hoping your boytoy Given is sold off. After last weekend, there's no hope for him getting the job back from Joe Hart

He likely will be. Not hard for the best keeper in the world to find a new gig though. ;)

dw13
08-20-2010, 04:17 PM
He likely will be. Not hard for the best keeper in the world to find a new gig though. ;)

Not even the best in the prem, clearly :D

phaneuf6
08-20-2010, 07:12 PM
Not even the best in the prem, clearly :D

He's hurt douchebag.

dw13
08-20-2010, 07:22 PM
He's hurt douchebag.

He's fit (he was on the bench at WHL, not sure about their Europa) and locked out by Joe Hart.

He's looking for work elsewhere, especially after the outstanding performance by Hart against Spurs. Probably really hopes to go to Arsenal.

I was just giving you shit though, I do rate Given. I like Hart more, and I obviously like Reina more but Given is definitely quality.

Edit: Well done by Stephen Ireland ripping City though after his move, lol

phaneuf6
08-21-2010, 06:51 PM
Some high scoring from Chelsea thus far.. Arseneal puts up 6 today too. I never own the right Chelsea striker on my fantasy squad though! :lol:

dw13
08-21-2010, 07:04 PM
Some high scoring from Chelsea thus far.. Arseneal puts up 6 today too. I never own the right Chelsea striker on my fantasy squad though! :lol:

I have Malouda and Arshavin, not the best but they're doing it for me thus far.

To be honest, Wigan looked great before the first goal. They were taking the game to Chelsea. Blackpool looked good until the red card... that really killed all hope.

Go on Fulham tomorrow, take points from United.

dw13
08-23-2010, 07:47 AM
Every thing I'm hearing is Torres will feature today.

dw13
08-23-2010, 02:50 PM
Disgusting first half from LFC. Torres still isn't match fit, N'gog has shown a couple of signs, but in general poorly played.

The new formation isn't working. Kuyt isn't a 4-4-2 outside midfielder and the same could be said of Jovanovic.

It'll be interested to see if Roy makes changes at half, or how they come out to play.

Lucky to be down just one. Props to City for a splendid half of football.

Also, it's obvious to me why they pick Hart over Given. Given might be on par with him in terms of shot blocking skills but Hart organizes his defense superb. I heard him throughout the half when LFC was on that side of the field.

dw13
08-23-2010, 03:28 PM
Top marks to City. Played really well.

Liverpool looked absolute shit. Like the lads haven't played a 4-4-2 in their life.

Going to have to pick up the pieces after this.

68th minute, 3-0.

Adam Johnson, brilliant player.

dw13
08-23-2010, 03:50 PM
City home fans, chanting about Rafa, then saying USA and then saying who the hell is Dani Pacheco.

This is why they are still a small club. It's the mentality. Yeah, they just crushed us but they don't know how to win like this...against teams like LFC.

dw13
08-24-2010, 03:55 PM
This Bremen/Sampdoria match has been a cracker.

Can't believe Bremen clawed back into it.

suckerpuncher
08-24-2010, 04:12 PM
Thought the were dead after those 2 early goals.

But when the weather gets worse Bremen gets better. Has been that way for years.

There's actually a term here called Werder Wetter (Werder weather).
Normally temperatures of maximum 10°C, at least slight rain and some wind. That's when they're at their best. At least in home games.
They had some memorable matches in the UCL/UEFA Cup over the years under those conditions.

dw13
08-24-2010, 05:01 PM
I turned it off at half to watch the West Ham cup game, and turned it back when it was 3-0 for a little... saw the goal and was like oh my...how in the world!

Then Marin hit the bar in ET... then the goal came.

dw13
08-24-2010, 05:43 PM
Rumors of Hodgson looking at Mario Gomez in a loan deal.

b_illin
08-27-2010, 12:03 PM
Adios Mascherano

dw13
08-27-2010, 12:26 PM
Adios Mascherano

What a fucking prick.

We rescued him from the West Ham reserves, turned him into one of the best holding midfielders in the world and a captain of his country and this is how he repays us?

Fuck off Mascha.

dw13
08-27-2010, 03:38 PM
Same team that gave LFC problems in preseason, beat Bayern 2-0 today. They had some really pacey and tricky wingers. I didn't see that coming though.

Athletico beat Rafa's Inter side today for the Super Cup. I was pulling for you Rafa!

suckerpuncher
08-27-2010, 05:25 PM
Bayern always had problems playing in Kaiserslautern. Back in the 70', 80's and 90's they rarely won there.

If only Müller would have scored on his big chance early on.

And I really thing bayern needs another right back and put Lahm on the left side. He's so much better on the left side even if he's right footed.
And with Demichelis in van Gaal's doghaouse and maybe on his way out there's also a need for an interior defender. And better a proven one than another kid from the second team. The team needs stbility on defense.

Btw. They announced during the game that Liverpool is expected to make an offical offer for Gomez on Saturday.

dw13
08-27-2010, 05:31 PM
I don't really want Gomez, but on loan I guess I can handle it. I don't rate him at all though.

Raul Meireles is supposed to be coming to Liverpool tomorrow. I'm really happy and it seems to be true. Would be a great replacement for Mascha. More of a box to box midfielder, and has good defensive awareness. Suited for the PL.

suckerpuncher
08-27-2010, 05:39 PM
Hey, if you need the striker who can come off the bench and doesn't score - Gomez is your man. :lol:

suckerpuncher
08-28-2010, 04:23 PM
Really interesting game today between Wolfsburg and Mainz.

The big favorite Wolfsburg, now with Diego was up 3-0 at home and still managed to lose 3-4. Wow.

And Milan loaned Ibrahimovic from Barca buys him after the this season for €24 mio.

dw13
08-28-2010, 04:34 PM
Really interesting game today between Wolfsburg and Mainz.

The big favorite Wolfsburg, now with Diego was up 3-0 at home and still managed to lose 3-4. Wow.

Crazy stuff.

Diego scored though. I really rate Diego. Can't believe Juve let him go so quickly. Del Neri will regret that.

suckerpuncher
08-29-2010, 09:50 AM
What a great game between Leverkusen and Mönchengladbach.
Gladbach leads 5-2 after 60 minutes against a heavily facoved Leverkusen team. I really hope for some more goals.

Really fun to watch.

dw13
08-29-2010, 10:55 AM
Michael Bradley's team, no?

LFC played a really poor first half (trend of the season), second half was better though and a wonderful goal from Torres.

Bent just scored a penalty deep into stoppage time to see off Manchester City, 1-0. Tevez in the first half easily had the miss of the season thus far.

suckerpuncher
08-29-2010, 11:06 AM
Yep, Bradley plays for Gladbach.
The game ended 6-3. What a cracker.

Btw. Have you heard anything about the Gomez deal? So far I haven't heard anything but some rumors which are a couple of days old. The deadline is Tuesday night so if it goes down it has to be done quickly.

dw13
08-29-2010, 11:38 AM
Yep, Bradley plays for Gladbach.
The game ended 6-3. What a cracker.

Btw. Have you heard anything about the Gomez deal? So far I haven't heard anything but some rumors which are a couple of days old. The deadline is Tuesday night so if it goes down it has to be done quickly.

No, I haven't heard anything else. I've heard people close to LFC say they don't think it'll happen.

Not sure what is happening though, I mean the Meireles deal came out of no where! What a quality signing though. :D

suckerpuncher
08-30-2010, 03:07 AM
Seems like Hannover wants to sign DaMarcus Beasley who's still unsigned. They already have his friend Cherundolo so it's probably easier to integrate him.

dw13
08-30-2010, 10:27 AM
Going to meet Paul Dalglish, King Kenny's son who is the coach of FC Tampa Bay in the NASL next month.

It might not be King Kenny... but it's the next best thing :D

ih8music
09-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Do any of you have a favorite place for buying national team jerseys online (youth sizes)? My kids are both clamoring for USA & Mexico jerseys now that their ayso season has started - but none of the stores in my area seem to still be carrying world cup jerseys. A ton of places pop up via google, but I'm not really familiar with any of them... any suggestions?

dw13
09-02-2010, 10:46 AM
Worldsoccershop.com normally has alot of the things I look for when ordering soccer stuff.

phaneuf6
09-02-2010, 11:19 AM
Worldsoccershop.com normally has alot of the things I look for when ordering soccer stuff.

Another vote for worldsoccershop.com.

ih8music
09-02-2010, 11:38 AM
Thanks guys - looks like that site will work. (btw, why is the US jersey so lame? :lol:)

suckerpuncher
09-02-2010, 12:35 PM
(btw, why is the US jersey so lame? :lol:)
People get what they deserve. ;) :D :lol:

suckerpuncher
09-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Tonight is the kickoff for the EURO 2012 qualifiers.

We start off today in Belgium and then on Tuesday at home against Azerbaijan.
Two must win games. Anything else would be almost a disaster.
The big match is against Turkey where there most likely more Turkish fans at our home game than German fans.
Of course we need also be aware of our little (backwards ;) ) neighbor Austria but I think we should win the group and qualify directly without going into the playoff round.

Seems like the biggest change is that the qualifiers are now played on Friday/Tuesday instead of Saturday/Wednesday. The clubs complained a lot that players come back pretty late from the qualifiers with the league games being on the weekend. Now there's one more day time.

dw13
09-03-2010, 03:40 PM
It was just Litchenstein but Torres is finding his goal scoring form.

Meireles has also scored for Portugal.

Kuyt for Holland, too.

suckerpuncher
09-03-2010, 03:58 PM
A not really spectecular 1-0 win over Belgium. But it's still a win and we take the 3 points.

dw13
09-03-2010, 05:05 PM
YouTube- Liechtenstein 0-4 Spain | Torres Goal 18'(0-1) | 3-9-10 | HD

Out of the top drawer. What a finish.

phaneuf6
09-03-2010, 06:09 PM
Ireland SHOULD advance from their group.... right?

suckerpuncher
09-03-2010, 06:20 PM
Not as group winner.
They'll fight with Slovakia for the 2nd place and the playoff berth.
I think Russia is the best team of that group and Slovakia and Ireland are on the same level.

dw13
09-03-2010, 06:34 PM
Slovakia > Ireland for 2nd place behind Russia.

suckerpuncher
09-06-2010, 05:28 PM
Rooney once again makes a complete idiot out of himself. :rolleyes:

Amazing how he's able to find the only prostitute in the UK who can't keep her mouth shut. :lol:

dw13
09-06-2010, 05:31 PM
Rooney once again makes a complete idiot out of himself. :rolleyes:

Atleast this time it wasn't a grandma :lol::lol:

He's a piece of shit.

dw13
09-07-2010, 01:05 PM
Slovakia has beaten Russia today.

About to sit down and watch the Turkey/Belguim game.

suckerpuncher
09-07-2010, 02:17 PM
The keeper from Azerbaijan is pretty solid. For sure better than any English goalie. But that's not a that difficult. :D

dw13
09-07-2010, 02:20 PM
The keeper from Azerbaijan is pretty solid. For sure better than any English goalie. But that's not a that difficult. :D

:lol::lol:

Joe Hart has put the England keeper problems to rest for awhile, IMO.

suckerpuncher
09-07-2010, 02:26 PM
One little mistake and then he'll really feel the pressure (from the media etc.) and he'll falter.

dw13
09-07-2010, 02:30 PM
One little mistake and then he'll really feel the pressure (from the media etc.) and he'll falter.

You're probably right, the English media is utter shit.

dw13
09-07-2010, 02:34 PM
The new Reds wonderkid has scored on his debut for the Ressies.

http://www.footylounge.com/films//fernandez-suso/stunning-goal-v-newcastle-reserves-video_0e926e75f.html

High quality goal if I can say so.

dw13
09-11-2010, 08:55 AM
I hate the Blueshits just as much as the Mancs, that was incredibly funny to watch the Mancs collapse.

dw13
09-11-2010, 12:55 PM
City slips up again, draws at home against Blackburn.

Barca just lost to Herceles at the Nou Camp, and Masch was subbed at half time :lol:

suckerpuncher
09-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Only a scoreless draw last night against long time rival Bremen. Normally those games are high-scoring ones but not this time.
Too bad. The Kaiser deserved a better b-day present than a 0-0.

Read an interesting interview with Uli Hoeness yesterday where he said he wanted to buy Khedira but van Gaal declined and said he'd rather let Alaba play.
But the best part was where Hoeness was ripping Liverpool apart. Asked about the rmors of a Gomez deal he said Bayern never wanted to loan Gomaz but sell him but since Liverpool is broke there was no deal.
Just vintage Hoeness. He has never been a fan of clubs being taken over by outside parties and he's absolutely right about it.

dw13
09-12-2010, 01:07 PM
What is there to rip Liverpool apart about?

Our owners? Who would of guessed they would take us to the ground? English football has changed. You need big pockets to even compete for a top 4 spot these days.

I see absolutely no reason why Liverpool should be "ripped apart"

But I guess in times like these it's easy to go after the club. So be it. LFC will be back.

phaneuf6
09-12-2010, 02:52 PM
The officiating in the Bolton-Arsenal game yesterday was horrid. Exciting game up until Cahill's red card.

dw13
09-12-2010, 03:15 PM
The officiating in the Bolton-Arsenal game yesterday was horrid. Exciting game up until Cahill's red card.

Attwell is shit.

dw13
09-14-2010, 03:07 PM
Absolute gruesome injury to United's Antonio Valencia. Snapped his ankle, clean break. Going to be awhile before we see him again.

Some real cracking games going on now. Bremen vs. Spurs has been a belter, Inter and Twente as well.

suckerpuncher
09-19-2010, 08:52 AM
ManU is dominating Pool right now. And what a great bicycle kick goal by Berbatov.

suckerpuncher
09-19-2010, 08:53 AM
And right when I say this Pool gets a penalty shot and gets back in the game.

And now it's tied. Looks like I just jinxed ManU. :lol:

phaneuf6
09-19-2010, 03:16 PM
ManU have had a real issue holding leads this year it seems! Good to see Berbatov seal the deal for them though.

dw13
09-19-2010, 04:17 PM
Good to see Berbatov finish it? You are supposed to be a City fan :lol: Just a Liverpool hater to be a hater.

Roy Hodgson, simply not good enough. Not good enough now, or ever. He sat back and wanted to defend, then his subs were absolutely clueless.

How O'Shea isn't sent off is ludacris. The Manc himself, Howard Webb is the only one who would make that a yellow card.

No, you didn't jinx ManU. You witnessed one of the best footballers in the history of the game, Steven Gerrard drive the team forward as hard as he could. What a legend, what a player and what a captain.

Fernando Torres needs to either get it together, or get the fuck out.

Props to all traveling fans that were there, they were heard much more then United and we were losing!

phaneuf6
09-19-2010, 04:30 PM
I meant in terms of, if anybody was going to finish it, I'm glad it was him.

dw13
09-19-2010, 04:32 PM
I meant in terms of, if anybody was going to finish it, I'm glad it was him.

Shambolic defending from Carra. Even worse defending on his first goal from Torres, and the worst possible from Konchesky on his first goal by not staying on his front post.

Should of only had one goal today.

Ahh... :\

dw13
09-21-2010, 02:00 PM
http://tomkinstimes.com/2010/09/yet-again-ferguson-is-wrong-about-liverpool/

A wonderful article as usual from Paul Tomkins. Outlines how Sir Alex was/is blatantly wrong about Liverpool.

dw13
09-22-2010, 04:22 PM
On the brink of suicide due to this club.

69 places between Liverpool and Northampton, and we have been dumped out at Anfield.

Shocking.

Edit: David N'gog has just tied it with very little left in extra time... still, enough to kill myself. Penalties coming.

Edit2: They have done it. We have been taken out by Northampton.

dw13
09-28-2010, 03:35 PM
Schweinsteiger to the rescue!

suckerpuncher
09-28-2010, 03:40 PM
Very lucky.
The whole team is bloody tired and desperately needs a bye week or two. But since that won'tt happen they have to fight their way until the winter break in January.
I just hope they won't lose too much ground until then.

Always the same in seasons after a World Cup.

dw13
10-06-2010, 10:18 AM
NESV, the Red Sox owners have purchased Liverpool pending Hicks/Gillette's legal battle against it.

I don't know what to think, so I'll reserve judgment until I find out their plans, etc.

ANYONE is better then H+G, though.

dw13
10-06-2010, 10:28 AM
Another thing to add:

As part of the deal with NESV - Liverpool FC will, indirectly, be part-owned by the World's richest man, Carlos Slim, $55billion.

dw13
10-12-2010, 12:29 PM
The court decision will be made tomorrow for LFC.

Azerbajian beat Turkey in a qualifier. What a bad result for the Turks.

dw13
10-13-2010, 09:06 AM
What a great day for LFC. They have finally been removed, and we can go forward with the sale.

suckerpuncher
10-19-2010, 02:40 PM
Wow. Right now the game is more slapstick than soccer.
Bayern harmless at best and with a ton of luck so far.
Cluj scores 3 goals and still Bayern leads 2-1. So far all Bayern needs to do is get the ball into the area and the Cluj players will take care of the rest.

And on another note I'm a bit sad the the Liverpool fans didn't had any luck with their "Thanks! - But no Yanks!" campaign. :lol:

dw13
10-19-2010, 02:46 PM
And on another note I'm a bit sad the the Liverpool fans didn't had any luck with their "Thanks! - But no Yanks!" campaign. :lol:

Yeah, clearly had no luck with it. It was an absolutely amazing campaign by the fans. Tom Hicks called us "Internet Terrorists"

Who cares that it was Americans who bought the club. Not all Americans are bad for the sport or the club, Hicks and Gillette were.

I'm even more proud to be a Liverpool fan after the whole campaign. Taking part in the E-mails was all I could do, but combined we finally got rid of them.

All focus back onto the pitch now, and the results need to happen. Rumor is Frank Rijkaard is leaving Gala in an effort to become Liverpools next manager when Hodgson is inevitably removed.

It's painful to be hearing shit about LFC from people (like you) all over. Whatever. Kick us while we're down.

dw13
10-19-2010, 02:49 PM
Just now seeing the HT score in the Bayern game. 2-1 Bayern thru 2 own goals. Nice. :p

suckerpuncher
10-19-2010, 03:53 PM
I'm not making fun of LFC per se. Like I said so many times before it's the whole system (especially in England, Italy and Spain) I'm bashing.
LFC is just the prime example of that and what's wrong here.

People (and especially investors) outside of Europe need to understand that European soccer clubs aren't alike any other sports franchise. It's nothing like the Pittsburgh Pirates where losing is an accepted option as long as the team still makes a financial profit.

And owning a team is not a short term option but a long time commitment where you most likely never get back the money you invested. So for gaining money it's propably the one of the worst options out there.
So far I don't think there's an owner of one of the bigger European has ever really earned anything money-wise. All those presidents in Madrid or Barcelone who invested hundreds of millions into the clubs and still Real and Barce have hundreds of millions of debts.

Same goes for Italy. And looking at England it's the same story. Abramowitch has put in over €1 billion since he acquired Chelsea. Money he'll never see again and if he'd leave tomorrow Chelsea will be history. Even though from a financial standpoint cutting his losses would be the best idea but still he stays. For now.

Read the latest news from Barca? They expected a profit of roughly €11 mio. in 2009 but ended up losing almost €80 mio. Again.

But despite all those teams with financial problems the UEFA does almost nothing about it. I say almost because they introduced a poor licencinsing system which simply says you can't spend more money then you earn. Or something like that. A system which can easily be circumvented. So far Mallorca is the only club that wasn't allowed to play in European club competition. Even though there are a whole lot of teams which are practically broke.

Maybe I'm biased but as the financial crisis showed the clubs in the Bundesliga are from a financial point the healthiest in Europe. Not only is there a 50%+1 rule in effect which means the clubs needs to own 50%+1 shares of the team which makes takeovers from outsiders almost impossible.
And also there is a much tougher yearly licensing system in place which makes club really work on their finances. And the penalties for not compliyng are severe. Worst case scenario leads to forced relegation into the amateur divisions.
And 2 years ago there was a study which applied that licensing system to the clubs in the other big European leagues and the result was that at least 1/3 of the teams in each of the leagues would not pass the licensing process.
And I severly doubt it got any better since then.

I know it's not perfect but so far it's probably the best system out there.

And please stop talking about history. Living in the past doesn't help a bit with the problems they have today.
And yes, as Bayern fan I'm proud the club never got owned (or held hostage) by outsiders and practically started with nothing and now is one of the wealthiest and healthiest clubs out there and also one of the most successful ones.

dw13
10-19-2010, 03:59 PM
Without the past LFC wouldn't be what we are today. We wouldn't have the support, and we wouldn't of been able to overcome the owners. We would of been another Portsmouth, another Leeds. History means something for this club, especially with what as happend.

I agree completely with the problems of how some (most) American owners view soccer clubs as "Franchises" they are not. It's a completely different beast they are getting into.

But if you get the right owners, with the right business plan, they can flourish. Hopefully what John W Henry and NESV are planning on doing for Liverpool. It's all about creating a foundation, because we know how big LFC is around the world.

Just like Henry said, he doesn't have 'Sheihk' infront of his name. He isn't going to be throwing around money. He wants to lay a smart business plan down, be aggressive at the right times in the market and be smart about it.

We cannot change the way it works these days, we can only hope we get owned by the right group of people.

I don't wish anything that LFC went through upon ANY club. Including the bitters, and the Mancs.

suckerpuncher
10-19-2010, 04:32 PM
I really hope this time the club will have more luck with the new owners. The fans really deserve it after all what they have been trough. And in my eyes the most people that are opposed to the new American owners are pissed because they heard all those promises before and the got burned once so it's understandable they want someone else.

And is it just me or osccer fans world wide no matter if it's South America, Africa or Europe way more passionate about their clubs than any other sports fans?

But nonetheless I still have a hard time rooting for a team that gets money pumped into them at will. It always feels like cheating. At least to me. Not just LFC but all the others like Chelsea, ManC, Barca, Real etc.

dw13
10-19-2010, 04:46 PM
I really hope this time the club will have more luck with the new owners. The fans really deserve it after all what they have been trough. And in my eyes the most people that are opposed to the new American owners are pissed because they heard all those promises before and the got burned once so it's understandable they want someone else.

And is it just me or osccer fans world wide no matter if it's South America, Africa or Europe way more passionate about their clubs than any other sports fans?

But nonetheless I still have a hard time rooting for a team that gets money pumped into them at will. It always feels like cheating. At least to me. Not just LFC but all the others like Chelsea, ManC, Barca, Real etc.

I agree, it was tough to swallow more Americans coming in. But they seem to have a plan, and that's all we can ask for.

Definitely soccer fans world wide are much, much more passionate about their teams. LFC is my #1 team, and I practically live my life through the club and I live way away from Merseyside.

LFC has never, and won't pump money into getting players. Tom Hicks was a liar. It all panned out that he put something like 10m net into players a year. Rafa always had to sell to spend.

I just hope the owners have their plan, especially with the redevelopment of Anfield, or finally building a new stadium in Stanley Park.

phaneuf6
10-22-2010, 12:19 PM
Rooney looks like an idiot by re-upping with United.

dw13
10-22-2010, 01:15 PM
Rooney looks like an idiot by re-upping with United.

Sir Alex has a plan up his sleeve, mark it down.

He'll be sold this summer.

phaneuf6
10-22-2010, 01:31 PM
Sir Alex has a plan up his sleeve, mark it down.

He'll be sold this summer.

That was my first thought as well. You can't have such a huge turn in events happen in such a short period. He shit talked the manager and whole organization, and then all of a sudden Fergie is 'brilliant' and he's resigned?

dw13
10-22-2010, 01:37 PM
That was my first thought as well. You can't have such a huge turn in events happen in such a short period. He shit talked the manager and whole organization, and then all of a sudden Fergie is 'brilliant' and he's resigned?

I know Rooney's wife (as of right now?) has a terminally ill sibling and she wants to stay in Manchester, which is why City made the most sense outside of the incredible contract they could give him.

With Rooney 'upping' his contract, it signals to the world intent to stay with United. If they would of sold him this summer without the new contract and still in a fight with Sir Alex, they were going to get minimum value for him.

This all seems like the Roy Keane situation somewhat, and Sir Alex doesn't lose these fights. (Beckham, Keane, etc.)

Rooney isn't work 150K/w wages, he isn't worth a 40M transfer free, so if Sir Alex can somehow get the 40M from someone, he'll do it. I'm sure of it.

Then again, the Glazers might not let him see all 40M of that to spend on new players, so who knows.

phaneuf6
10-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Rooney has to be the most overrated football player in the world, so I agree he isn't worth what he may get. And good point about getting better value for him now, than if he was in disputes in the summer.

I don't think he really fits in City. Maybe he can go to a smaller club and find more dirtbag hookers for himself.

dw13
10-22-2010, 01:45 PM
Rooney has to be the most overrated football player in the world, so I agree he isn't worth what he may get. And good point about getting better value for him now, than if he was in disputes in the summer.

I don't think he really fits in City. Maybe he can go to a smaller club and find more dirtbag hookers for himself.

He needs just to go back to Everton and continue being a blue shit. He'll always be one.

Or fuck off to Spain and find some more Spanish grannies, since he's done with all the English ones :lol:

phaneuf6
10-22-2010, 01:47 PM
Then again, Liverpool's new owners may look to make a big splash in their first season...

dw13
10-22-2010, 01:48 PM
Then again, Liverpool's new owners may look to make a big splash in their first season...

He's a blue shit. He will never, ever be welcomed in the Red side of Merseyside.

b_illin
10-22-2010, 02:16 PM
He's a blue shit. He will never, ever be welcomed in the Red side of Merseyside.

x2

phaneuf6
10-22-2010, 02:18 PM
They're American owners. :D

dw13
10-22-2010, 03:55 PM
Portsmouth on the brink of being closed down. Real shame, I don't wish that on any club.

suckerpuncher
11-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Just read on Twitter that the Diver might take over as GM of Toronto FC. Does anybody know more about this?

Somehow his career takes a turn to the worse. First he coached our national squad then Bayern and now Toronto. Normally it's the other way around. :eek::D

MTR
11-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Seems he is just going to be an adviser from a report I read.

boredguy
11-03-2010, 09:54 PM
I know there's a lot of "lol, soccer players dive" but holy fuck Ronaldo is a douche.

dw13
11-04-2010, 06:20 PM
http://assets.liverpoolfc.tv/uploads/assets/sg3_4cd330841c4f7466870910.jpg

The Legend continues.

What a man. What a center midfielder. What a player.

Nothings ever too tough for him to overcome and rescue us.

b_illin
11-05-2010, 11:33 AM
^ did I miss something? What'd he do??

Edit: wow, a rare hat trick...sweet!

dw13
11-05-2010, 11:39 AM
^ did I miss something? What'd he do??

Edit: wow, a rare hat trick...sweet!

Came on at half time, down 1-0 at Anfield vs. Napoli. Knocked in all three to win 3-1 after a poor half from a pretty much second-team side for Liverpool.

Chelsea on Sunday and we've won 3 on the trot. Would be immense to get a result Sunday.

dw13
11-07-2010, 01:15 PM
Torres!

suckerpuncher
11-07-2010, 02:14 PM
Villa?

(Assuming we're playing "Name a Spanish striker") :lol::lol::lol:

dw13
11-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Villa?

(Assuming we're playing "Name a Spanish striker") :lol::lol::lol:

:lol:

No. Just naming the guy who scored a double against Chelsea today.

moans
11-16-2010, 01:59 PM
YouTube - 2010 asian games quarterfinal uzbekistan vs qatar

Oh my.

dw13
11-16-2010, 02:04 PM
:lol:

I'll one up ya, Mike.

YouTube - Rocky Baptiste - The Miss of the Century

b_illin
11-16-2010, 02:04 PM
^ why would he kick with the outside of his left foot????

dw13
11-17-2010, 05:45 PM
Can we just do away with International friendlies? How about the International game all together? FFS.

Stevie could be out for a couple weeks.

phaneuf6
11-22-2010, 01:19 PM
Anybody else catch that Chelsea match on Saturday? Class goal by Birmingham City and they did just enough to hold on to the result. Chelsea were unlucky, missed a few headers and hit the bar. Great game though.

dw13
11-22-2010, 01:22 PM
Anybody else catch that Chelsea match on Saturday? Class goal by Birmingham City and they did just enough to hold on to the result. Chelsea were unlucky, missed a few headers and hit the bar. Great game though.

That Birmingham defense is a very tough nut to crack at home. Roger Johnson and Scott Dann have a wonderful partnership there. Chelsea was barring down but couldn't open them up quite enough.

Foster made some very nice saves and Bowyers goal was very nice indeed.

There were strong rumors that Ancelotti was thinking about stepping down with the problems Chelsea has had in the past few games but he squashed those rumors but it's glaringly obvious that they miss Ray Wilkins on the bench.

Just another day in the Prem! It's wide open.

suckerpuncher
12-02-2010, 01:19 PM
WC 2018 in Russia and WC 2022 in Qatar.

Looks like they want to give them a chance while there's still some oil left and some money to be made.

But I personally don't like those choices at all.

Russia is way to big. 9 different time zones and the infrastrucutres is just plain bad. Unless they play around Moscow / St. Petersburg and anywhere close to continental Europe it will be a complete disaster.

And as far as Qatar goes it's way to hot there to play outdoors during the day. Are they planning to kill the players in the heat? They either need to build domes/closed roof arenas or play most of the games after sunset. Otherwise bad things will happen.

The only good thing is that both countries are only +2 hours from CET (if Russia keeps the locations close and doesn't hold games in Siberia) so the big market in Europe will be statisfied.

dw13
12-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Summed up my thoughts completely, sucker.

phaneuf6
12-02-2010, 02:36 PM
FIFA is such a joke. Qatar has one main city, with 90% of the population residing in it. How is that going to work?

dw13
12-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Qatar is planning on building air-conditioned outdoor stadiums to deal with the heat. (Answering Sucker's question). I'm not sure how it'll work, but I heard it'll be enough to see off the heat.

Still a joke.

suckerpuncher
12-02-2010, 03:31 PM
It's still stupid to build a bunch of brand new stadiums which will only used during the WC and then never again. What a waste.

b_illin
12-02-2010, 03:32 PM
WC 2018 in Russia and WC 2022 in Qatar.

Looks like they want to give them a chance while there's still some oil left and some money to be made.

But I personally don't like those choices at all.

Russia is way to big. 9 different time zones and the infrastrucutres is just plain bad. Unless they play around Moscow / St. Petersburg and anywhere close to continental Europe it will be a complete disaster.

And as far as Qatar goes it's way to hot there to play outdoors during the day. Are they planning to kill the players in the heat? They either need to build domes/closed roof arenas or play most of the games after sunset. Otherwise bad things will happen.

The only good thing is that both countries are only +2 hours from CET (if Russia keeps the locations close and doesn't hold games in Siberia) so the big market in Europe will be statisfied.

Totally...and super short-sighted. Tells you what matters most to FIFA! ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$)

PS: Zidane just made a cool $15mm for his involvement in the commercial for Qatar!

suckerpuncher
12-02-2010, 03:46 PM
The only good thing about Qatar is the fact that England is pretty much a sure shot not to qualify. Afterall there is now alcohol allowed on the streets so there's no reason for the fans and the team to be there. :lol:

dw13
12-02-2010, 04:00 PM
It's still stupid to build a bunch of brand new stadiums which will only used during the WC and then never again. What a waste.

They are breaking the stadiums down after and giving them to needy countries. I don't know what that means, but that's what I've heard.

MTR
12-07-2010, 01:36 PM
Still seems to be a waste of time and energy and money to build them. Take them back down and rebuild them somewhere else.

MTR
12-07-2010, 01:38 PM
That decision is one of the stupidest decisions I have ever seen. I can live with England not getting the 2018 Cup even thought I think it should have gone to them. If not them I would have enjoyed to see the Spain/Portugal joint bid win. I can live with the US not winning the bid if it had gone to Japan or Australia. But Qatar? What a fucking joke.

suckerpuncher
12-11-2010, 01:17 PM
The best news in quite some time: Schweinsteiger signs a new 5 year deal through the 15/16 season.
Now all the big ones have signed long-term deals.

Time to grab Neuer from Schalke to be the new keeper for a long time to time.

dw13
12-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Rumors starting to go around that Roy has possibly left Liverpool. I know there was a meeting today.

Too good to be true though. I know it.

suckerpuncher
12-17-2010, 06:38 AM
Bloody draw for the round of the lastz 16 in the UCL.

Roma vs. Donezk
Milan vs. Tottenham
Valencia vs. Schalke
Inter vs. Bayern
Lyon vs. Real
Arsenal vs. Barcelona
Marseille vs. ManU
Kopenhaven vs. Chelsea

The biggest match is the rematch from last years final between Bayern and Inter. I really hoped for a better matchup here. But now it's time to get some revenge.

Arsenal and Barca is hopefully very interesting to watch. And Real also gets their rematch with Lyon who kicked them out in the quarterfinals last year.

dw13
12-17-2010, 10:30 AM
The draws have been so fishy this year it's incredible.

Hope Inter sees off Bayern, Barca over Arsenal and OM over ManU. Those are the 3 I'm most interested in.

suckerpuncher
12-17-2010, 02:06 PM
Just because you hope for something that doesn't make it happen. :D
Looks like you'll only hit 1 of your 3 with Barca over Arsenal.

Anyway with the recent signing of Luis Gustavo who's already coming in January and is also eligible to play in the UCL it really seems like van Bommel will leave in January. Not sure why, though.
But finding a defender who's eligible is a way tougher quest.

dw13
12-17-2010, 02:16 PM
Just because you hope for something that doesn't make it happen. :D
Looks like you'll only hit 1 of your 3 with Barca over Arsenal.

Anyway with the recent signing of Luis Gustavo who's already coming in January and is also eligible to play in the UCL it really seems like van Bommel will leave in January. Not sure why, though.
But finding a defender who's eligible is a way tougher quest.

Inter will do it. OM not, but I can hope.

Didn't see Bayern sign Gustavo. Boss player in Football Manager. That's all that matters :D

suckerpuncher
12-17-2010, 03:39 PM
Reportedly he'll cost €15 mio. The deal should already be done but not yet announced.

But really funny is the rumor that Hoeness (when he was still the GM) included an option when he sold Hummels to Dortmund that Bayern can buy him back for €8 mio. after this season. Badstuber and Hummels should be the interior defense for both Bayern and the national squad for the years to come. And Breno still there as backup. All 3 are young and very talented.
If the rumor is true it's almost certain Bayern will use the option.

dw13
12-17-2010, 03:42 PM
Reportedly he'll cost €15 mio. The deal should already be done but not yet announced.

But really funny is the rumor that Hoeness (when he was still the GM) included an option when he sold Hummels to Dortmund that Bayern can buy him back for €8 mio. after this season. Badstuber and Hummels should be the interior defense for both Bayern and the national squad for the years to come. And Breno still there as backup. All 3 are young and very talented.
If the rumor is true it's almost certain Bayern will use the option.

I really like all 3 of them, especially Hummels. I really like him and Subotic they are a quality pairing, Badstuber and Hummels will be good. I like Breno as well. That'd be a steal of a buy-back.

dw13
12-17-2010, 03:50 PM
Liverpool is really interested in Eden Hazard and it was great to hear him say he isn't interested in going to Real. He wants to be able to play football consistently, he would be a welcomed addition into our squad on the left. Maybe we can get Steven Defour as well to have two Belgium players and help them settle in faster.

I'd also really love it if we could swoop Dimitri Payet from St. Eienne, Camolli's old team.

I think Ashley Young is the man we really want in January and it could be done. If not, the summer time. English, full of pace, has a good final ball and is young.

Of course, Roy needs to be shown the door first before we get any players with flair, that's for sure.

suckerpuncher
12-17-2010, 05:11 PM
Hazard would be a really good signing. But I think I read Arsenal also interested? With Wenger's track record of handling and grooming young players they might have an edge.
And didn't ManU already tried to sign Defour and/or is close to a deal? And the same with Young.

With the arrival of Camolli you might be able to persuade Payet though to came over.

But even if you get rid of Hodgson before the season is over it's not sure how much it will help.
For once you need someone to jump in. Not an easy task to find someone who's respected by the team and fans alike.
The problem is that most of the other coaches have contracts until at least the end of the season. And given the sitatution it's probably better to take an older coach with some merits than a young unexperiencend. But then again that's was probably the idea behind Roy's signing.

And since there's no winter break in England it's also hard to implement new players in the team. That's always a tough thing to do on the fly.
Even if they shortend the break here in Germany there's still almost a month off for players to get recharged and also for the teams to go into a camp (preferably somewhere where it's warm ;) ) and for new players to get to know the team and staff and get used to each other.

suckerpuncher
12-17-2010, 05:21 PM
Just saw thwew are 2 conflicting reports on the LG deal. One says it's €15 mio. and the other one says it's €10 mio. + Klose.

If Klose gets dealt then Bayern needs to get another Striker asap. With Olic done for the season there's only Gomez left. He has been hot lately but he most likely won't stay it forever and injuries can always happen. And Müller as pure striker isn't the best solution like we all saw last Saturday.
So it needs to be a real good striker who's also eligible for the UCL. Dzeko comes to mind but €40 mio. is a very high price.

And as far as a defender goes the latest name is Leighton Baines who would be eligible for the UCL unlike Criscito and Bosingwa. Glenn Johnson seems to be also in the mix after his fallout with Roy.
My favorite would still be Bale but I doubt he leave England to come to Germany.

Edit: Witin 4 hours all the tickets were sold for the home game against Inter.

dw13
12-18-2010, 10:28 AM
Just saw thwew are 2 conflicting reports on the LG deal. One says it's €15 mio. and the other one says it's €10 mio. + Klose.

If Klose gets dealt then Bayern needs to get another Striker asap. With Olic done for the season there's only Gomez left. He has been hot lately but he most likely won't stay it forever and injuries can always happen. And Müller as pure striker isn't the best solution like we all saw last Saturday.
So it needs to be a real good striker who's also eligible for the UCL. Dzeko comes to mind but €40 mio. is a very high price.

And as far as a defender goes the latest name is Leighton Baines who would be eligible for the UCL unlike Criscito and Bosingwa. Glenn Johnson seems to be also in the mix after his fallout with Roy.
My favorite would still be Bale but I doubt he leave England to come to Germany.

Edit: Witin 4 hours all the tickets were sold for the home game against Inter.

Baines is quality and if Glen Johnson leaves I'll be beside myself. I don't think it'll happen but you never know at this point. And yeah, Bale will not leave Spurs right now and I don't see him ever playing in Germany. Bale also isn't a defender anymore, he's an out-and-out winger.

dw13
12-18-2010, 01:34 PM
Hazard would be a really good signing. But I think I read Arsenal also interested? With Wenger's track record of handling and grooming young players they might have an edge.
And didn't ManU already tried to sign Defour and/or is close to a deal? And the same with Young.

With the arrival of Camolli you might be able to persuade Payet though to came over.

But even if you get rid of Hodgson before the season is over it's not sure how much it will help.
For once you need someone to jump in. Not an easy task to find someone who's respected by the team and fans alike.
The problem is that most of the other coaches have contracts until at least the end of the season. And given the sitatution it's probably better to take an older coach with some merits than a young unexperiencend. But then again that's was probably the idea behind Roy's signing.

And since there's no winter break in England it's also hard to implement new players in the team. That's always a tough thing to do on the fly.
Even if they shortend the break here in Germany there's still almost a month off for players to get recharged and also for the teams to go into a camp (preferably somewhere where it's warm ;) ) and for new players to get to know the team and staff and get used to each other.

Didn't see this post, sucker. Sorry.

Wenger is open to giving young players a game but they are stacked across the midfield. I think it would be tough for him to get in there and play week in, week out. At Liverpool, the left side of midfield would be his to claim. Camolli also has a touch with players in the French league, lets hope that works out. Just like I'm hoping Payet would be interested in coming because of Camolli, plus our real need for a winger.

I have heard nothing about Ashley Young and ManU even being linked. I am sure ManU is interested in him but they have Nani and Valencia, too.

As for Defour, United have shown interest but we have too. Kenny has been to Belgium to scout him and maybe if Hazard joined us he could help too. There are many of options and I actually like our CM position, even if we play Stevie off the striker. Raul Meireles has come good and has more to show, Lucas Leiva is becoming very good and will be a starter at LFC for a long while. Plus a youngster like Jonjo Shelvey. Adding 1 more to the mix would be nice but doesn't need to be done. Wings, cover striker and left back should be the #1 priorities.

Getting rid of Hodgson instantly would help. Roy employs really negative tactics that is absolutely disgusting to watch. It's nothing football. If we put King Kenny in charge until the end of the season, it could unite the team and supporters behind their manager because we are not behind Roy right now. We would be able to play more attractive attacking football which fits our players much better obviously, and Camolli would still be in charge of all the transfers.

There was no idea behind the Roy signing. He was a 'Yes' man for H+G. They wouldn't keep Rafa because he always spoke the truth against them and they wouldn't hire King Kenny for who knows what reason. Roy has never had success anywhere he has been. He has won something like 9 away matches in his career in the Premier League. That is just not Liverpool quality. Then he buys Poulsen and Konchesky, both who are a joke. It's sick.

I want Camolli to go after Deschamps (OM's manager) after the season. I would like him to be our new manager if Rafa continues with Inter. If Rafa were to be fired by Inter or released, I would want him back ASAP. Rafa's children are still in school in Merseyside and he still owns his home. He is a scouser now to me and that's where he should be. With backing from the owners, and a director that knows football. Rafa would succeed.

suckerpuncher
12-18-2010, 07:02 PM
Kind words for Rafa from someone who called him a "Fat Spanish waiter" not so long ago. :D
And it looks like he saved his job for now with the win of the FIFA Club World Cup.

I think Liverpool has a difficult decision to make very soon regarding their future.
One thing is for sure the club needs an overhaul. Beginning with the coach but also inside the squad to give them some new spark.

Are they going to invest a ton of money for big(ger) names and try to become one of the big four again? That could be hard considering they likely won't play in any European competion next year.

Or are they going to invest the money into younger players who aren't finished yet. But with that the fanbase and the clubs needs to realise you most likely won't win anything in the near future and most likely will compete for 4th or 5th place and the spot in either the UCL qualifier or EL.
It won't be like Arsenal who have a system in play and a great coach for that system who is able to handle those young guys and can plug in new ones almost at will and they still play good.
But on the bright side you build the foundation for future success.

The best thing would probably be signing some veterans and some young guys and mold them together with the consisting core around Gerrard. But you need a really good coach to get things going.

But even then success won't happpen over night. At least ManU and Arsenal are too far ahead for the next couple of years. And ManC throws around a ton of money to stay in the top spots. Only Chelsea is on a way down. If Abramovitch continues his course of action of late and doesn't spend big money anymore they may ghave a hard time to qualify for the UCL in the near future.

Not sure if Deschamps is the right guy. He might be too young and inexperienced for that.
It's almost similar to the situation with Klopp and Dortmund here in Germany. They most likely will win the championship here and play very nice but I doubt Klopp could handle Bayern and all the big names and egos. I know he hasn't quite the resumee as a player as Deschamps but still.
But then again both may grow with the team and the task.

The only top team who has success with a young coach is Barca with Guardiola and only because he has been with the club forever first as a player and then as the coach of the reserve squad and therefore knows the ins and outs of the club and has the respect of anyone involved even if he's still very young. A very rare situation.

And given the situation right now with only 6 points away from a relegation spot playing good football isn't the top priority. You need to win ugly. Almost Italian style. Maybe Trap has some spare time until May after Ireland cut his pay. :lol:
I know almost now fan wants to see that kind of game but there are times when you need to live with it. Once you're out of this danger you can concentrate on playing a nice style of game.

And as far as Bale goes I know he isn't a back anymore but I just like his style of play. And it's not just that he won't come to Germany I doubt he'll ever leave England. Like almost all English players. They rarely leave England to play somewhere on the continent. Not even in Spain or Italy. It's a mentality problem. A problem which you can see at full extend with the English national squad.
They are not able to adapt to a new situation/surrounding once they leave England for a longer period of time and therefore their teams fail time and time again during WC's and EURO's even if they are named as one of the favorites before a tournament.

That's also a downside on Baines. He's rumored to get "home sick" very easily which is also the reason why he didn't went over to South Africa because he didn't want to leave his family for a longer period of time.

dw13
12-18-2010, 10:22 PM
NESV has already laid out their plan and with the hire of Camolli. They want to find young highly touted talent that will be good now and for the next long years ahead. Footballers like Eden Hazard, Ashley Young and Steven Defour. Those type.

We SHOULDN'T have to play negative football. We have all the attacking options needed and we our LFC. We should be playing attractive, attacking football. That's why we are only 6 points above relegation (btw, only 5 off 5th, too).

Deschamps is the type of manager that we should be looking at. Younger, shown the ability to accomplish things and has potential to get even better. Sort of like Rafa at Valencia before LFC.

Who knows. I'm fairly sure that our new owners are willing to spend wisely, and they will back the manager but I just don't see any reason to hand Roy 30 million or anything of the sort because he isn't the manager for LFC in the long run of things.

suckerpuncher
12-20-2010, 01:40 PM
According to Italian media Rafa just got fired by Inter. So you might get your wish afterall.

I only hope that doesn't spark the Inter squad for the games in February / March. :lol:

dw13
12-20-2010, 02:33 PM
According to Italian media Rafa just got fired by Inter. So you might get your wish afterall.

I only hope that doesn't spark the Inter squad for the games in February / March. :lol:

Rafa and his agent have since rubbished the reports, but it definitely seems like it's just a matter of time especially after Rafa's ultimatum. It was always going to be hard for Rafa, the fact that he has already won 2 trophies is overlooked and the amount of injuries have crushed him. Never an easy job to take over a treble winning team and expect the same results. It wouldn't of happend under Jose either.

Either way, Rafa is back in Merseyside for his Christmas. Where he belongs. :)