PDA

View Full Version : Official Football (Soccer) Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10

FlyGuy78
06-23-2010, 10:49 AM
These refs are worse than any professional sport in North America. Yes, we gripe about the subjectivity of calls and the like, but these guys are just fucking up the rules.

The refs are GOD AWFUL!!!!................BUT

WE JUST SCORED!!!!! GO USA!!!!! :D:beer::D

MrScientist
06-23-2010, 10:51 AM
Not really. Are you a big football fan?

Enough to know what offsides is, as well as hand balls and fouls. These calls are coming out of thin air...case in point that Beasley hand ball.

suckerpuncher
06-23-2010, 10:53 AM
Congrats.
The win was deserved but it took you quite some time to score it. But better late than never.

And you even won the group ahead of England which means the the winner of our group will face England.

dw13
06-23-2010, 10:53 AM
Group C winners. The best USA Soccer player in history hits another huge one.

Won't talk bad about Bradley for now, since we are on such a high... but the Coach continues to baffle me.

As for the Dempsey offside... it was close enough to where it could of gone either way. I wouldn't of been outraged had we gone out in this game even with that goal disallowed.

Jozy Altidore was an absolute beast.

Celebrating all day!!!

dw13
06-23-2010, 10:58 AM
Also, go on and win the group Germany. Relay that to your boys, sucker. :lol:

suckerpuncher
06-23-2010, 11:11 AM
Also, go on and win the group Germany. Relay that to your boys, sucker. :lol:
Will do. :D
It's pretty much win the group or go home. It's very unlikely for us to become second since I doubt Serbia will defeat Australia by 3 more goals then we score against Ghana.

But I have to say England was once again not really impressive against harmless Slovenians.
And Terry is looking more and more foolish when he continues to fly around in his own box trying to block shots which he can't even reach. :rolleyes:

For now enjoy the fact you advanced to the next round and wait and see who you'll face. :beer:

suckerpuncher
06-23-2010, 11:13 AM
And it looks like Cacau will play tonight for Klose and Boateng for Badstuber.
Brother against brother tonight.

dw13
06-23-2010, 11:21 AM
Good to see Brother vs. Brother.

Happy with Cacau coming in for Klose?

Oh and I hate John Terry. He's such a prick

Chilly_Willy
06-23-2010, 11:22 AM
In regards to my previous post I don't care if they did ballet dance after that goal. Awesome!

dw13
06-23-2010, 01:05 PM
It was a sport changing goal in America. I know in 2002 we went to the Quarterfinals and probably should of went farther, but the interest in the games were not as high because it was on Korea and they were being played at 2AM/4AM. A ton of people took off work, got tv's at work, etc to watch this game and that Landon Donovan goal will change USA soccer forever.

More parents have interest, and will put their kids/future kids in youth systems, will want to encourage playing this great sport and it'll broaden the horizons for USA soccer.

It really was such a meaningful goal, regardless of what this team can accomplish going forward.

It couldn't of happend to a better guy too, in Landon Donovan. The leaps and bounds he has come in his career is really amazing.

suckerpuncher
06-23-2010, 01:15 PM
Ruhig, Brauner. (Calm down young grashopper.) :lol:

I just hope you don't expect the US team to win it all in 2014 when the WC is in Brazil and the games are at prime time for you. :D

But it would be good for soccer itself it it would get more exposure in the states. And money wise it's a huge market which is clearly underrepresented so far.

And always remember:
Football (Soccer) isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that. :beer:

dw13
06-23-2010, 01:18 PM

I just hope you don't expect the US team to win it all in 2014 when the WC is in Brazil and the games are at prime time for you. :D

But it would be good for soccer itself it it would get more exposure in the states. And money wise it's a huge market which is clearly underrepresented so far.

It's unquestionable the significance of the goal that Donovan scored today. I'm not proclaiming we will win a World Cup in the next 10, 20 years but the interest in soccer has definitely been taken up a notch.

That's my point. It'll eventually give the USA more players to choose from, more talent to pick from and a better amount of soccer players growing up playing the game the right way and looking to crack the National team.

I'll stand by my statement that it was truly a sport-changing goal today, in the USA.

suckerpuncher
06-23-2010, 01:23 PM
Remember what I said a couple of days ago? ;)

Btw. the Titan mentioned that if you'd invest (substantially) more money into soccer and being serious about it you'd actually have a good chance of being a force to be reckoned with on the world stage.
So go figure.

dw13
06-23-2010, 01:26 PM
Remember what I said a couple of days ago? ;)

and I agreed, but my point was if we don't score that goal... soccer goes back into the blackhole... and the dramatic goal Donovan scored, now puts it on the forefront for awhile and people/parents/kids watching now have even more interest.

:)

ih8music
06-23-2010, 02:22 PM
It was a sport changing goal in America. I know in 2002 we went to the Quarterfinals and probably should of went farther, but the interest in the games were not as high because it was on Korea and they were being played at 2AM/4AM. A ton of people took off work, got tv's at work, etc to watch this game and that Landon Donovan goal will change USA soccer forever.

More parents have interest, and will put their kids/future kids in youth systems, will want to encourage playing this great sport and it'll broaden the horizons for USA soccer.

It really was such a meaningful goal, regardless of what this team can accomplish going forward.

No offense, but I think you're being a little optimistic. This is no doubt a great moment for USA soccer, but I don't see it triggering any transformational change. Perhaps if they do the unthinkable and advance further then you might see something, but still I don't see it doing much to change the US sports landscape at all.

Case in point - you can't get anything more dramatic & unexpected than the 1980 Olympic hockey championship. Even I as a young kid in CA who had never watched a hockey game in my life followed that team and watched every game on TV. But did that change anything for the NHL? Not really - it was the 4th most popular sport before the Olympics and it remained the 4th most popular sport afterward. Interest in the sport increased marginally for a couple of years, but it eventually settled back to more or less where it was before. I bet the same thing happens w/ soccer.

(what's more likely to increase soccer's popularity in the US is the increasing amount of immigrants from Mexico & Latin America... here in LA that's a huge %age of the Galaxy's fanbase.)

dw13
06-23-2010, 02:30 PM
No offense, but I think you're being a little optimistic. This is no doubt a great moment for USA soccer, but I don't see it triggering any transformational change. Perhaps if they do the unthinkable and advance further then you might see something, but still I don't see it doing much to change the US sports landscape at all.

Case in point - you can't get anything more dramatic & unexpected than the 1980 Olympic hockey championship. Even I as a young kid in CA who had never watched a hockey game in my life followed that team and watched every game on TV. But did that change anything for the NHL? Not really - it was the 4th most popular sport before the Olympics and it remained the 4th most popular sport afterward. Interest in the sport increased marginally for a couple of years, but it eventually settled back to more or less where it was before. I bet the same thing happens w/ soccer.

(what's more likely to increase soccer's popularity in the US is the increasing amount of immigrants from Mexico & Latin America... here in LA that's a huge %age of the Galaxy's fanbase.)

Maybe I'm a bit optimistic, but I do think what the USA team has accomplished (more the way they have accomplished it) has really put soccer on a different level in the States (for the time of the World Cup, or forever? That's the question). It'll never be a top sport, or respected as that but I think alot of people will look at it in a new light and see that Soccer really is something to give your kids/yourself a shot at playing.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong and soccer will fall back into being nothing to mainstream sports-media, and it won't be nothing but another blip in the history of the game.

Either way, I still see (one way or another) more talent coming through the ranks. Looking at people like Jozy Altidore, and our youth teams like the successful U-17 team. Hopefully that'll continue and we can add more talent into the youth systems and that alone is a success for USA Soccer

Edit: My post definitely came off the high of the match, and my dreams of having Soccer be relevant in this country.

MTR
06-23-2010, 02:44 PM
As great as this win is and no matter what team USA does it will still be some time before the sport finally hits the big time here. We have hosted the World Cup, started MLS, and even made it to the quarter finals in '02 and hardly anything as changed. It saddens me as a huge soccer fan and someone that played growing up all the way through high school and a little bit in college. There will be a bit more interest for a bit and then back to where it stays. :(

dw13
06-23-2010, 02:46 PM
I'll say it again... Mesut Ozil is going to be an absolute star.

dw13
06-23-2010, 02:47 PM
As great as this win is and no matter what team USA does it will still be some time before the sport finally hits the big time here. We have hosted the World Cup, started MLS, and even made it to the quarter finals in '02 and hardly anything as changed. It saddens me as a huge soccer fan and someone that played growing up all the way through high school and a little bit in college. There will be a bit more interest for a bit and then back to where it stays. :(

Yeah, but I still like the "bit" of interest we can get from this! The more kids that want to play the game, the more it opens up for other kids to get involved, etc, etc. Our youth systems have improved 20x from what they were 10-20 years ago, which is really promising! Such a fabulous sport to be a part of, can't believe the lack of interest in our country.

I know we got to the quarters in '02, but I think that never caught on big time over here because the matches were at 2AM/4AM in the morning and no one really saw that wonderful run from our team.

Who knows! I hope for the best

phaneuf6
06-23-2010, 02:49 PM
Soccer will never be big in the States, as long as baseball and football are around. That's where the money and fame is, and that's what kids see.

Great goal for Germany.

MTR
06-23-2010, 03:13 PM
Yeah, but I still like the "bit" of interest we can get from this! The more kids that want to play the game, the more it opens up for other kids to get involved, etc, etc. Our youth systems have improved 20x from what they were 10-20 years ago, which is really promising! Such a fabulous sport to be a part of, can't believe the lack of interest in our country.

I know we got to the quarters in '02, but I think that never caught on big time over here because the matches were at 2AM/4AM in the morning and no one really saw that wonderful run from our team.

Who knows! I hope for the best

More kids play soccer in the US than any other sport. But by the time they get to high school they move on to other sports. We don't need to get more kids to play. We need to get more kids to keep playing. That would help. It is growing though. I was part of the first soccer team my high school had almost 20 years ago. Today there is a boys team in the fall and girls team in the spring. Still one of our better players to come out of that school a few years ago is currently playing for the Dodgers. :(

I would love to see things change and it is changing but this will just give it one of those bursts of interest like hosting did and like the quarter final run did but then it goes back down and I am not sure how we can maintain this upswings and build on them. I think the key to that is getting these guys to continue playing past youth leagues and into high school and/or college.

suckerpuncher
06-23-2010, 03:28 PM
Hard piece of work.

I always wonder why Özil makes the tough ones but leaves out the easy once. Like the big chance in the first half.

After the first goal by Australia and then the 2nd one everybody knew it was over and we'll make it. But until then it was very thrilling. Especially since our defense looked pretty shaky at times.
I also thought maybe we concede a goal in the last minute "accidentally" so we end up 2nd and avoid England. ;)

But now we need to focus on our old rival England. Always a tough machtup even if they didn't played well so far.

And Ghana will face team USA. In my eyes an open match. Ghana is a tough opponent.

suckerpuncher
06-24-2010, 09:51 AM
Schweinsteiger and Boateng are hurt and are questionable for Sunday. Would be a huge blow if Schweinsteiger would miss the game.
Interesting to hear Defoe say England pratices penalty shots now every day as preperation for Sunday. As if that would help. :D

And Italy looks really bad today. Rightfully down to Slovakia at halftime.

FlyGuy78
06-24-2010, 09:57 AM
More kids play soccer in the US than any other sport. But by the time they get to high school they move on to other sports..

I would love to see factual evidence on that one! I would say baseball beats it by a landslide in the US. Soccer is the worst sport ever. When most games end in a tie in a sport, something is wrong with the sport.

suckerpuncher
06-24-2010, 10:08 AM
When most games end in a tie in a sport, something is wrong with the sport.
Statistically speaking most games end with a home win followed by an away win. Ties are the 3rd and least likely result even though they occur probably more than in other sports.

MTR
06-24-2010, 10:16 AM
I would love to see factual evidence on that one! I would say baseball beats it by a landslide in the US. Soccer is the worst sport ever. When most games end in a tie in a sport, something is wrong with the sport.

Let me dig around to find it but it is true. Been that way for a while.

Most games don't end in draws though. Check out league standings around the world. You will see a lot of draws but you will also see a lot of wins and losses. Nothing wrong with a draw anyway. Some draws are very exciting. More exciting than a lot of baseball and football games I watch.

MTR
06-24-2010, 10:17 AM
I was hoping for drawing of lots but Italy going out like this works for me.

MTR
06-24-2010, 10:22 AM

Old article from 2006 but it shows soccer on the rise and little league on the decline.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/07/03/rise.kids.sports/index.html

Still searching. Seen other sites saying most played youth sport in US but trying to find links to actually articles or studies.

Bubbles & Conkey
06-24-2010, 11:45 AM
Italy is out!! Bring on a new Champion

looch17
06-24-2010, 11:53 AM
Still pumped after yesterdays game (goal). Not the biggest soccer fan but I am all about the Red, White and Blue! Go USA!

dw13
06-24-2010, 12:01 PM

You don't like the sport, we get it.

Zangetsu
06-24-2010, 12:55 PM
Little late to the party, but I've been slowly catching up on the games that I've been DVRing, and I didn't want to run into any spoilers in here.

That game yesterday may have been the single most stressful sporting event I've ever experienced. From the 75th minute on, I was standing in front of the TV. I was making enough noise to send my dog running to his safe place (bathtub), which he usually only uses during thunderstorms. When Donovan scored, I lost it. What a rush. Bring on the Black Stars.

Zangetsu
06-24-2010, 01:02 PM
Two of the last three champs out after the group stage. The way things have gone so far, it's the teams that have been playing with grit and determination that have been having success. The gap in skill between the upper echelon and the rest of the world seems to be closing.

Chilly_Willy
06-24-2010, 02:10 PM
the thing that is cool about soccer is all you need is a ball just like American football. Very easy to get a game going. I can see interest in the sport growing as a result of the U.S.A. performance.

MTR
06-24-2010, 02:28 PM
the thing that is cool about soccer is all you need is a ball just like American football. Very easy to get a game going. I can see interest in the sport growing as a result of the U.S.A. performance.

That is the nice thing about it. Easy to do pick up games.

Interest will grow some but even back out. I hate it that it does that but it is the truth. I keep hoping and wishing things will change.

I read about a survey done over the phone and only like 1 out of 3 people even know what the World Cup was. Now I don't remember the sample size but it made me sad.

I think it will take the US doing well in this tournament every 4 years. We don't do that. '90 out in three games. '94 advanced to knockout and played eventual champions Brazil in a hell of a game where we actually looked like we could win early on by hitting wood work a few times. '98 is not even worth talking about. '02 run to the quarters with wins over Portugal and Mexico. '06 not a good tournament for us. '10 now we are at least out of group again with a chance to do well. Getting out of group stages on a regular basis would really help because people lose interest in the whole tournament once we are out if they are just a casual fan.

Also showing Gold Cup games would help. I think the last time around I couldn't watch any games in English or maybe it was the time before that. Making it to the Confederations Cup and playing well like we did last year on a regular basis would help. The US performing well on a regular basis against top teams will help.

I also think adults encouraging kids to stick with soccer instead of dropping it for baseball or football or basketball when they get older would help. I get frustrated when kids who love to play or told once they get to high school to pick a different sport. When I was in high school good friend of mine who was really good was told to play football. Not allowed to play soccer with us. On top of that poor guy suffered an injury playing football that kept him out of West Point. :( Didn't help that we had to fight to get a team for my school. Youth league and other donors footed the bill the first two years and even then if there was not a board member that supported us the school board was going to leave us off the budget after that and cut the team. Changing attitudes on a local level well help this sport grow more.

:lol: I have rambled on way too much about this. I love seeing the support and hope in here. Makes me feel good. :) I just like to share my thoughts on ways to help interest in this country.

Zangetsu
06-24-2010, 02:32 PM
If nothing else, the growing Hispanic population will help soccer's popularity in the US.

The major networks are also taking notice, as more and more big international games are being broadcast on ESPN/ABC.

Zangetsu
06-24-2010, 02:34 PM
BTW, the Japanese have mastered the Jabulani. The two set-piece goals they've scored on were both outstanding.

suckerpuncher
06-24-2010, 02:55 PM
As far as ratings go here are the ratings from last night in Germany:
29.19 mio. households watched our game last night which equals over 81% of all households. The record is 29.66 mio. which was reached during the '06 semi final match.

And this number do not even include the people who watched the game either on Pay-TV, in sports bars or in one of the bigger cities Public Viewing areas etc.

dw13
06-24-2010, 03:08 PM
Danny Agger :lol:

ih8music
06-24-2010, 03:09 PM
As far as ratings go here are the ratings from last night in Germany:
29.19 mio. households watched our game last night which equals over 81% of all households. The record is 29.66 mio. which was reached during the '06 semi final match.

And this number do not even include the people who watched the game either on Pay-TV, in sports bars or in one of the bigger cities Public Viewing areas etc.
That's insane. Even the highest rated super bowls don't get over 50% in the US.

Cornholio
06-24-2010, 03:59 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

Gotta be a shootout win for the Germans oin sunday then, whadda you think, suckerpuncher? :D

I love it!
France out, Italy out, great tournament!!! :cool:

MTR
06-24-2010, 04:06 PM
Cool youtube video that I saw on my twitter feed.

http://bit.ly/9Fzy9p

ih8music
06-24-2010, 04:37 PM
Cool youtube video that I saw on my twitter feed.

http://bit.ly/9Fzy9p
Cool video. A wee bit over the top, considering that we really haven't won anything yet... but cool nonetheless.

MTR
06-24-2010, 04:39 PM
Yeah well I would have been jumping up and down and screaming too if I hadn't been work. :lol:

phaneuf6
06-24-2010, 04:55 PM
My Dutch boys are through to the next round against Slovakia. No walk in the park but should come out with a win. Great to see Robben in for some touches in the second half and an absolute brilliant strike to set up the winning goal.

dw13
06-24-2010, 05:01 PM
My Dutch boys are through to the next round against Slovakia. No walk in the park but should come out with a win. Great to see Robben in for some touches in the second half and an absolute brilliant strike to set up the winning goal.

Now just hope somehow Brazil doesn't top their group.

phaneuf6
06-24-2010, 05:05 PM
Now just hope somehow Brazil doesn't top their group.

Yeah, that would be ideal..if you remember the last meeting between the Netherlands and Portugal at the Euro Cup in 2008 it was quite a chippy affair..wouldn't mind seeing it replayed, heh. Then again, to win the Cup, you need to go through the best teams at some point, why not in the quarters right.

dw13
06-24-2010, 05:11 PM
Yeah, that would be ideal..if you remember the last meeting between the Netherlands and Portugal at the Euro Cup in 2008 it was quite a chippy affair..wouldn't mind seeing it replayed, heh. Then again, to win the Cup, you need to go through the best teams at some point, why not in the quarters right.

I don't fancy Netherlands chances against Brazil. I actually like the Dutch against teams like Germany, England and Argentina... don't like them against Brazil.

Not be nitpicking, but that chippy game was at the '06 World Cup ;)

suckerpuncher
06-24-2010, 05:40 PM

Gotta be a shootout win for the Germans oin sunday then, whadda you think, suckerpuncher? :D

I love it!
France out, Italy out, great tournament!!! :cool:
A shoot out - What else. :lol:

Let's just hope Rooney doesn't start to break out of his slump. But then again maybe Gomez gets the start and can "re-visit" Rooney's ankle. :D

IIRC the last matches between England and Germany were won by the away team. So I hope were officialy listed as the away team. :beer:

phaneuf6
06-24-2010, 08:10 PM
I don't fancy Netherlands chances against Brazil. I actually like the Dutch against teams like Germany, England and Argentina... don't like them against Brazil.

Not be nitpicking, but that chippy game was at the '06 World Cup ;)

You're right, my bad.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/4991538.stm

Hamsterkill
06-24-2010, 08:15 PM
It's only Wikipedia, but it's a source.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football)Soccer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football), known in many countries as "football", is another popular team sport played in the United States. It is the number one youth participation sport in the U.S. today, more popular even than American football, baseball, basketball, or hockey, up to about the age of 13. Dramatic growth in youth participation has fueled the men's national team's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_men%27s_national_soccer_team) steady rise in caliber of play since 1990, with the US participating in every World Cup (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Cup) since that time. Almost as many girls as boys play youth soccer in the U.S., contributing to the women's national team (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_women%27s_national_soccer_team) becoming one of the world's premier women's sides. MLS (Major League Soccer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer)) and USSF Division 2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USSF_Division_2_Professional_League) are the men's first and second tier professional leagues in the U.S., respectively, and WPS (Women's Professional Soccer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women%27s_Professional_Soccer)) is the top tier of American women's soccer. The designation of "tier" is mandated by FIFA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA) in each case.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_in_the_United_States

suckerpuncher
06-25-2010, 01:55 PM
Great vision by Villa after that huge mistake by keeper from Chile.

dw13
06-25-2010, 01:56 PM
Great vision by Villa after that huge mistake by keeper from Chile.

Probably the best pure finisher in the game today. Made it look too easy.

Cornholio
06-25-2010, 04:15 PM
Too bad that guy should have been suspended the game before...

phaneuf6
06-25-2010, 04:23 PM
Some great matchups in the next round including...

England v Germany
US v Ghana
Spain v Portugal

Zangetsu
06-25-2010, 04:47 PM
Spain/Portugal is a ridiculous first round matchup. Two of my favorites going into the tournament.

England vs. Germany could get ugly if England doesn't play better than they did in the group stage.

USA/Ghana is going to be a tough game for us. We need to play better defensively than we have so far, or Ghana could knock us out again.

phaneuf6
06-25-2010, 07:11 PM
Germany hasn't been that great outside their first game either though.. could be a thriller, could be a dud, who knows.

I hope Spain knocks Portugal out..that'll calm down Toronto as the Portugese and Italians will all put their flags and shit away.

dw13
06-25-2010, 07:12 PM
You heard it here first,

England over Germany.

(Sorry sucker!)

suckerpuncher
06-26-2010, 08:50 AM
Good thing is you can't be right all the time. ;)

But some more bad news for our team. Boateng and Schweinsteiger still questionable and Cacau is out for sure.
And Özil might be distracteed. His grandmother died Thursday night and her funeral is today and Özil can't be there. So he might be affected by this.

By looking at what the English newspaper write I personally see more than just respect. It's borderline fear/panic. Otherwise they wouldn't be that agressive.
They and the players/coach can say they played a great game against Slovenia all they want but the fact is they were far away from great and they know it.
And so far the English players looked really tired. Afterall they played 4 more league matches. 2 more Cup competitions and they didn't had the 4-5 week winter break we had. So taht might be a factor.

But the most important thing is the oracle octopus who has been always right so far choose the clamp from the German box. So we have that game in the bag already. :lol:

One thing is for sure. The real World Cup starts today with the knockout stage.

dw13
06-26-2010, 11:15 AM
Great way to start the KO stage.

dw13
06-26-2010, 12:52 PM
Oh when the Yanks, go marching in...!!!!

Lets go!!!!

dw13
06-26-2010, 04:20 PM
Gutted.

I told everyone years ago Bob Bradley would cost us. He did just that.

suckerpuncher
06-26-2010, 04:31 PM
I feel sorry for you.

But you have to admit Ghana was a tad better especially in the first half. The second half belonged to the US but they couldn't capitalize on their chances.

And after the early goal in extra time the US were lacking the means to overcome the deficit again. They gave up the midfield way too early. But they already did that in the first half. At times it looked like they were playing with 9 men since neither Donovan nor Dempsey were involved.
And if you try kick-and-rush in extra time you need at least a striker who wins the duels in the air. But Gomez couldn't do that.

dw13
06-26-2010, 04:35 PM
I feel sorry for you.

But you have to admit Ghana was a tad better especially in the first half. The second half belonged to the US but they couldn't capitalize on their chances.

And after the early goal in extra time the US were lacking the means to overcome the deficit again. They gave up the midfield way too early. But they already did that in the first half. At times it looked like they were playing with 9 men since neither Donovan nor Dempsey were involved.
And if you try kick-and-rush in extra time you need at least a striker who wins the duels in the air. But Gomez couldn't do that.

Killed us in the first half, no doubt about that. But we were equally as dominating in the second half.

The problem I have with the team is, both Dempsey and Donovan are players who should be playing centrally, so everything comes really narrow. We have a player in Stuart Holden, who when he entered the picture in qualification, he turned the team around. He's natural width, and he could of freed Dempsey (who played the second half behind Jozy) to play in that free role.

Our defenders continually by-pass our midfield by hoofing the ball forward, and that's a shame. Our best players are in the midfield. Donovan and Dempsey NEED to look to get on the ball more, and create, when that happens, we look much better.

Time to turn a new page in USA Soccer with some of our young talent, but with a Coach Bradley in the picture you never know if it'll ever reach the full potential.

Zangetsu
06-26-2010, 11:27 PM
Everybody I was watching the game with groaned every time we tried to make a long aerial pass up the field. It just isn't our style. Full credit to Ghana, though. Other than the late game dramatics (every team does it, but it is still BS), they played very well.

And yeah, Bradley probably just dug his own grave, and he knows it. The substitution in the 30th minute is as much a knock on the coach as it is on the player being subbed.

Cornholio
06-27-2010, 04:13 AM
Everybody I was watching the game with groaned every time we tried to make a long aerial pass up the field. It just isn't our style.
I still wonder why they startet doing such passes so early, right after the Ghana goal in OT.
They had about half an hour left, and the start "dumping" right away.
Too bad they didn't manage to tie the game.

phaneuf6
06-27-2010, 08:52 AM
Big game on in less than 10! Should be the first really competitive game of the tournament, with everything on the line. Looking forward to it!

dw13
06-27-2010, 08:55 AM
Behind England from here on out, now that the USA have crashed out.

Go on Stevie, captain fantastic, left the trophy.

mrtybrodur30
06-27-2010, 09:32 AM
With U.S. out now im going for Germany and Mexico. Mexico has played well but Argentina? :\ thats brutal haha. Right now if I had one pick I'd say Argentina is the favorite I think to win it all. Also I have enjoyed watching Uruguay they have a pretty good team and play well together, fun to watch but no real allegiance there.

dw13
06-27-2010, 09:32 AM
Just classy from Germany.

32 minutes in, but go home England.

phaneuf6
06-27-2010, 09:34 AM
Pure class from Germany, just brilliant.

dw13
06-27-2010, 09:35 AM
Upson and Terry are such shit :lol:

Shocking that England continues to force Gerrard wide for worse players in the middle, Barry and Lampard.

Full credit to Germany. First half has been all theirs.

moans
06-27-2010, 09:35 AM
Just classy from Germany.

32 minutes in, but go home England.

Well, if they keep this play up there isn't much hope for England. They look terrible in their own end.

moans
06-27-2010, 09:37 AM
Spoke too soon it looks like, 2-1, keep it goin' boys!

dw13
06-27-2010, 09:37 AM
FFS. I'll just shut the fuck up.

England pulls one back, 2-1.

Be back after the game :lol:

phaneuf6
06-27-2010, 09:38 AM
Wow, robbed.

moans
06-27-2010, 09:38 AM
fuckkkkkk that, another great reason for replay in soccer.

dw13
06-27-2010, 09:39 AM
Goal replay, or the officials on the back line like they do in the Europa.

This game will never go on to be a great one now either way. That goal will always be remembered.

mrtybrodur30
06-27-2010, 09:41 AM
Yeah really tough break for England, WOW what a bad call and lack of effort to get the calls right on the field, they need to change some stuff.

phaneuf6
06-27-2010, 09:48 AM
Yeah really tough break for England, WOW what a bad call and lack of effort to get the calls right on the field, they need to change some stuff.

Lack of effort has nothing to do with it.

They'll never go to video replay IMO. Maybe an official on the line. I think the ball hitting the crossbar on the bounce made it look like it may have just bounced straight up from the line, as opposed to spinning back.

dw13
06-27-2010, 09:56 AM

They'll never go to video replay IMO. Maybe an official on the line. I think the ball hitting the crossbar on the bounce made it look like it may have just bounced straight up from the line, as opposed to spinning back.

Never really have to go to replay. Have someone in the press boxes have a TV screen. It was a clear goal.

I've been in favor of an official on the line since I saw it in the Europa League, though.

Lets be honest though. That decision didn't need goal line technology. The sideline ref completely blew it.

Chilly_Willy
06-27-2010, 10:22 AM
I am a huge opponent to video replay in sports but as bad as I am hearing that the calls have been this tourney, bring it on.

moans
06-27-2010, 10:24 AM
Wow Terry, stop crying about not getting the ball, you just cost England a goal.

dw13
06-27-2010, 10:24 AM
Barry = Shit. Terry = Shit. Upson = Shit.

Rooney = Complete shit.

England just bombs out, time after time again.

phaneuf6
06-27-2010, 10:25 AM
Video replay could only be used for goals, nothing else Chilly so the subjective part of the game wouldn't be included in that.

Great goal for Germany on a brilliant counter attack. Great finish. Game over.

dw13
06-27-2010, 10:26 AM
Tore apart again.

Absolute shit, England.

Just pure class from Germany... Muller and Ozil are stars.

phaneuf6
06-27-2010, 10:28 AM
Rooney has to be one of the most overrated players in football. The English defending has been embarrassing really. Great ball by Klose but even better run by Ozil and fantastic patience to find Muller.

The English team can't match the pace that Germany are playing at.

dw13
06-27-2010, 10:30 AM
Time for Gerrard to focus on the only thing that matters in the World of Football.

Liverpool Football Club. :D

Chilly_Willy
06-27-2010, 10:30 AM
Video replay could only be used for goals, nothing else Chilly so the subjective part of the game wouldn't be included in that.

Great goal for Germany on a brilliant counter attack. Great finish. Game over.

That makes sense to me sense goals are so absolutely critical to soccer. I honestly can not think of another sport where a point is so crucial to the game.

mrtybrodur30
06-27-2010, 10:33 AM

They'll never go to video replay IMO. Maybe an official on the line. I think the ball hitting the crossbar on the bounce made it look like it may have just bounced straight up from the line, as opposed to spinning back.I never said they had to have instant replay but they could be doing alot more to get the calls right like other officials or like DW said someone watching the feed, cause you could clearly see the goal at full speed when it did hapen. This tournament has exposed the flaws though and I dont understand why they have technology they can use but decide not too, just stupid imo.

dw13
06-27-2010, 10:51 AM
England :lol::lol:

What else is new? Why have did I go out and predict them to win? This is the norm from them.

Enjoy it, Sucker. Not that this is anything new to Germany.

phaneuf6
06-27-2010, 10:52 AM
I never said they had to have instant replay but they could be doing alot more to get the calls right like other officials or like DW said someone watching the feed, cause you could clearly see the goal at full speed when it did hapen. This tournament has exposed the flaws though and I dont understand why they have technology they can use but decide not too, just stupid imo.

It's a tough game to bring video replay into. It has a lot more flow and less stoppages than any other pro sport, so where do you stop the game to check a video replay? And it wasn't clear at full speed, let's be honest here man. You couldn't tell right away.

I don't think there are any flaws, outside of maybe adding an official on each goal line. All officiating in all sports is very subjective but especially so in soccer. There's not much that is black and white in terms of fouls.

Regardless of the missed call, Germany outclassed England in every facet of the game today and it was a well deserved win.

moans
06-27-2010, 11:02 AM
It's a tough game to bring video replay into. It has a lot more flow and less stoppages than any other pro sport, so where do you stop the game to check a video replay? And it wasn't clear at full speed, let's be honest here man. You couldn't tell right away.

I don't think there are any flaws, outside of maybe adding an official on each goal line. All officiating in all sports is very subjective but especially so in soccer. There's not much that is black and white in terms of fouls.

Regardless of the missed call, Germany outclassed England in every facet of the game today and it was a well deserved win.

Had it been tied 2-2, neither of those counters would have ever happened. Each time Terry is caught up the field way out of position. German's played well but not 4-1 well.

suckerpuncher
06-27-2010, 11:02 AM
Woooohooo.

First of all let me rephrase that old song:
Germany 4, England 1 - Thomas Müller #1.

Like they said on the slogan for the NHL playoff - "History will be made".
And indeed history was made.

Great game by us. Especially the first 35 minutes were dominated by us. We could have scored more than just those 2 goals but the bloody 1-2 rocked us.
End for probably the first time ever against England we got luck on our site with that no call after the ball clearly crossed the line. Btw. that's the only time I admit that but from now on I'll stay by "No goal!".
Let's call it justice for the incident 44 years ago.

In the second half we were on the ropes for the first 20 minutes but those two quick counter strike goals by Müller sealed the deal.

Especially in the early stages we really outplayed England on all levels of the game. Just brilliant. I have no doubt that we would have won this game even with the 2-2.

And now the next game most likely against Argentina which will be a much tougher matchup. But if we play like in the first 35 minutes I can see us going all the way.

mrtybrodur30
06-27-2010, 11:08 AM

Regardless of the missed call, Germany outclassed England in every facet of the game today and it was a well deserved win.I think they could easily implement some stuff and keep the flow of the game. Also cmon yes you could easily tell right away from the tv angle, maybe if the ball was closer to the line but you could see the gap of green between the ball and line. I dont expect the official outside the box to call it good right away but thats why something should be changed.

suckerpuncher
06-27-2010, 11:14 AM
I'm not a fan of video replay.
They could us the goal judge the UEFA tried out during the Europa League but video replay would slow down the game.

dw13
06-27-2010, 11:16 AM
I'm not a fan of video replay.
They could us the goal judge the UEFA tried out during the Europa League but video replay would slow down the game.

Yeah, I agree. I think what the Europa League is doing, should be something used in all tournaments.

Cornholio
06-27-2010, 12:18 PM
fuckkkkkk that, another great reason for replay in soccer.
Revenge for Wembley '66 :evilgrin:

World class game by Germany, especially by Özil and Müller!!!

Bring on the next! :cool:

Cornholio
06-27-2010, 12:21 PM
Clearly no goal!!!
http://imgur.com/QxJvh.jpg

moans
06-27-2010, 12:26 PM
I just spat out my arnold palmer looking at that pic, pure gold.

suckerpuncher
06-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Exactly. No goal by a mile.

And now another another blown call this time the Italian ref allows a clear offside goal and favors Argentina.

And what a bad play by Osorio. He should at least get an assist for the Higuain goal. ;)

suckerpuncher
06-28-2010, 02:35 AM
This time only 25.57 mio viewers for the game. But since it was an afternoon game that still equals 87.2% of all households watching TV at that time were watching the game.
The ratings could have been even higher but due to the great weather tons of people were watching the games in one of the many Public Viewing areas.

suckerpuncher
06-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Let me give some further reasoning why video replay wouldn't be helpful in soccer.

For once the games isn't static and slow paced like Baseball or American Football and unlike hockey there is not time stoppage since the clock always runs.
If you now bring in video replay the games will be prolonged and the stoppages will absoultely kill the flow of the game.
And all those errors and mistakes have always been part of the game and even helped the game. If not for the Wembley goal '66 there wouldn't have been that great rivalry between Germany and England.

And even video replay won't eliminate all bad calls. Let me give you an example.
Given the fact that offside calls can be challenge what would it do in the following scenario?
A strikes gets a through ball 35 yards away from the goal and has only the keeper to beat. But the assistant raises his flag and calls him back for offside. But in fact the striker was not offside.
What to do now? He would have a great scoring chance and probably even a goal but you'll never know.
You can't award a technical goal like in hockey were a player is brought down on an empty net try.
Can you give him a (technical) penalty shot to make up for the chance he had? - No.
You also can't reset and recreate the play and let the striker go 1 on 1 against the keeper.

And that's just one scenario were video replay wouldn't be able to right a wrong.

In the end there's for each illegaly allowed goal an illegaly disallowed goal (or scoring chance) which makes it up.

dw13
06-28-2010, 11:48 AM
Really unconvincing stuff from the Dutch today.

Brazil/Chile could be a cracker.

suckerpuncher
06-28-2010, 11:58 AM
That bloody penalty in the end killed my pick. I had the Dutch winning 2-0. :mad:

But like you said the Dutch weren't really sharp. And without Robben they would be even worse.

Cornholio
06-28-2010, 12:00 PM
Can't wait for that game!!

dw13
06-28-2010, 12:02 PM
That bloody penalty in the end killed my pick. I had the Dutch winning 2-0. :mad:

But like you said the Dutch weren't really sharp. And without Robben they would be even worse.

I also had 2-0. :\

phaneuf6
06-28-2010, 02:09 PM
Chile looked great to start and just like that it's 2-0 Brazil.

WTF are those coats the Brazilians subs are wearing?! You can tell it's not a cold country they're from :lol:

dw13
06-28-2010, 02:47 PM
Absolutely brilliant. Great run from Ramires, top class first time finish from Robinho.

They play this way against the Dutch, and you'll be changing that sig soon, phaneuf.

suckerpuncher
06-28-2010, 02:56 PM
Almost a bit scary how little effort (at least that what they make it look like) Brazil needs to put away one of the better teams in this World Cup so far.

The Dutch have to do much better than today to make it a fight.

dw13
06-28-2010, 02:58 PM
Gilberto Silva has bossed the middle of the field tonight.

phaneuf6
06-28-2010, 03:01 PM
The Dutch will be fine. Chile's defense hasn't been great and Brazil's counter attack is deadly. If the Dutch can limit the fast break counter attacks, they should be fine.

dw13
06-28-2010, 03:03 PM
The Dutch will be fine. Chile's defense hasn't been great and Brazil's counter attack is deadly. If the Dutch can limit the fast break counter attacks, they should be fine.

The Dutch will do better because they play with De Jong and Van Bommel infront of their defense. Chile is a horrible matchup for Brazil, with the attacking style they play.

Still, I fancy Brazil's chances to get past in that one. Should be a belter though.

suckerpuncher
06-28-2010, 03:09 PM
I'm more concerned with the Duch offense. What they've shown so far wasn't anything spectacular.
Van Persie is no real striker at least you can't play him in the middle.
And Robben alone can't win you every game.
Sneijder and van der Vaart can hardly play opposite of Robben since they both tend to go through the middle.
It will be hard for the Dutch to create chances.

dw13
06-28-2010, 03:12 PM
I'm more concerned with the Duch offense. What they've shown so far wasn't anything spectacular.
Van Persie is no real striker at least you can't play him in the middle.
And Robben alone can't win you every game.
Sneijder and van der Vaart can hardly play opposite of Robben since they both tend to go through the middle.
It will be hard for the Dutch to create chances.

A bunch of really good points. I was shocked to see Kuyt on the left today.

RVP definitely isn't the best when he's operating alone. He isn't a out-and-out goal scorer.

phaneuf6
06-28-2010, 03:15 PM
There's enough talent there to create some chances though. At the end of the day, I think this is one World Cup that Robben really wants to win as it could be his last, and I think he can take this team on his shoulders and lift the team for 3 more games.

dw13
06-28-2010, 03:19 PM
There's enough talent there to create some chances though. At the end of the day, I think this is one World Cup that Robben really wants to win as it could be his last, and I think he can take this team on his shoulders and lift the team for 3 more games.

You really, really rated Robben highly :lol:

phaneuf6
06-28-2010, 03:22 PM
You really, really rated Robben highly :lol:

It's a World Cup playing for your country, a lot of guys take it to the next level and he always seems to be one of them... also see Klose and Podolski.

:lol:

suckerpuncher
06-28-2010, 03:24 PM
I've seen Robben play a lot this year and yes, he can be the difference maker and carry a team.
But relying only on him not only to beat Brazil but 2 more teams is just foolish.
He still seems to be a bit bothered by his injury and may be a bit better next time out but still he alone won't win it for the Dutch.

suckerpuncher
06-28-2010, 03:25 PM
It's a World Cup playing for your country, a lot of guys take it to the next level and he always seems to be one of them... also see Klose and Podolski.

But Klose and Podolski have always played well for our national team even if they sucked at their clubs. There's a difference.

phaneuf6
06-28-2010, 03:26 PM
I've seen Robben play a lot this year and yes, he can be the difference maker and carry a team.
But relying only on him not only to beat Brazil but 2 more teams is just foolish.
He still seems to be a bit bothered by his injury and may be a bit better next time out but still he alone won't win it for the Dutch.

Obviously not, but I think he has the ability to raise the rest of the team to a new level too. You know how one midfielder on his game can make all those around him better. We will see, some great matchups to come!

suckerpuncher
06-28-2010, 03:28 PM
Obviously not, but I think he has the ability to raise the rest of the team to a new level too. You know how one midfielder on his game can make all those around him better. We will see, some great matchups to come!
Still won't help when van Persie is the striker because he can't create the space Robben needs.
And also not easy when both Sneijder and VdV trying to occupy the same space in the middle of the field and leaving the left side empty.
That's very easy to defend.

dw13
06-28-2010, 03:28 PM

The best thing they have going for them is Robben having a go at Bastos. Keeping him away from Maicon will be a good thing.

Sneijder is the key here, IMO. Can't let Gilberto Silva render him useless and has to have a bigger impact in the game then Kaka has. I love Sneijders game, and when he's on he's the key player for the Dutch for me.

I expect to see Kuyt over VdV because Kuyt will defend against Maicon's overlapping runs.

Still Lucio and Juan are outstanding and incredibly tough to score on even without Gilberto Silva playing as well as he is infront of them.

Should be a great match, but I'm not sure Robben alone is going to be able to win this game for Holland. Brazil is the best defensive team in this tournament.

suckerpuncher
06-28-2010, 03:30 PM
Brazil is the best defensive team in this tournament.
Probably the first time ever that that sentence was used.
Brazil and best defense. :lol:

dw13
06-28-2010, 03:31 PM
Probably the first time ever that that sentence was used.
Brazil and best defense. :lol:

Crazy how it's changed for them with Dunga. He's turned them into a defensive team, they are really good at the back.

phaneuf6
06-28-2010, 03:33 PM
Those are all valid points. Who knows how Holland will line out anyways.

Who are you guys taking in tomorrows big game?

dw13
06-28-2010, 03:34 PM
Those are all valid points. Who knows how Holland will line out anyways.

Who are you guys taking in tomorrows big game?

Spain in a thrashing. Portugal offers nothing outside of Ronaldo.

suckerpuncher
06-28-2010, 03:35 PM

Crazy how it's changed for them with Dunga. He's turned them into a defensive team, they are really good at the back.
Yeah.
But remember both Dunga and his assistant Jorginho played for quite some time in Germany.
Especially Jorginho played pretty good for Bayern.

suckerpuncher
06-28-2010, 03:38 PM
For tomorrow I think Spain should win a close game.
Both team know each other well so Spain won't underestimate Portugal. And even tough Spain wasn't at their best so far I think something along the lines of a 2-1 or 3-1.

dw13
06-28-2010, 03:50 PM
For tomorrow I think Spain should win a close game.
Both team know each other well so Spain won't underestimate Portugal. And even tough Spain wasn't at their best so far I think something along the lines of a 2-1 or 3-1.

I'll go ahead and predict a 2-0. Spain clearly the better team throughout the game.

nyrblue2
06-28-2010, 05:01 PM
What's the history behind not stopping the clock during stoppages of play? It just seems to add to the whole BS of players diving and acting hurt, because they do it to waste time on an expiring clock. Sure, they add injury time, but it seems extremely arbitrary.

Ball goes out of bounds, whistle blows for a penalty or offsides, etc. - the clock should stop. Seems pretty obvious to me, anyway, but considering I don't like soccer at all, there could be something I'm not aware of. In the limited amount I've watched these past couple weeks, it seems like they should add about 10 minutes to each half instead of the 2 or 3 that they do.

suckerpuncher
06-28-2010, 07:03 PM
No way the using of the clock should ever be changed.

For one it created spme historic moments when a team scores the deciding goal in injury time. As Bayern fan I know all about it. Never forget those 138 seconds of injury time in May of '99.

And also it makes the duration and the end of the game predictable. 2x45 minutes plus 15 minutes half time break. If a game starts at 4pm you know it's over by 5:50, maybe 5:55pm latest on normal league games without extra time.
Unless some other sports where games last between 2 hours and 4 hours.
You can play anything around the game since you know exactly when it's over.

Those 2x45 minutes translate to a net of around 60 minutes where the ball is in play.

And making the clock stop would bring more commercial breaks and prolong the. Name another sport where there's no commercial for 45-50 minutes?

The considered playing 3x30 minutes and have another 15 minute break some years ago but the was shut down quickly. Thank god.

And in general why do people, especially with little insight to game always want to change it?
There's no reason for video replay, clock stoppage or anything else.

dw13
06-28-2010, 07:04 PM
And in general why do people, especially with little insight to game always want to change it?
There's no reason for video replay, clock stoppage or anything else.

:beer::beer:

MTR
06-29-2010, 09:13 AM
My thoughts on it. You can't challenge or replay the goals not allowed by the refs for the US. One was a free kick and one was ruled offside. I don't want the refs to stop to check a video for the offside even if in our case we gain a goal and in the case of Mexico and Argentina a goal is taken away that should not been awarded. That would just take too long to check. Disrupts the game. Don't want it.

That being said I would be willing to test out using something for making sure a ball crossed the line and is a goal or not. I think it would only take 30 seconds or so to verify something like that and that time can just be added to the end of the half. If there is a question about if it crossed the line or not get it right. England was robbed of a goal. So have others at other times. Then again putting a ref on both end lines may solve all of that without having to have replays or some kind of goal line technology. And that is my preference actually. Just put a ref on each each end.

Now I am not one to bitch about refs. Actually have reffed on a lower level and even then you just miss stuff. Human element of the game. But you have to do the best damn job you can do and some of the refs at this cup did not do that at all. Plain and simple. The US/Solvenia game was just horrible all the way around. I may not even bitch about the winning goal being disallowed if it was not for all the other crap he missed or called during that game. Now some games have been just fine but man there has been some crazy calls and noncalls in this tournament.

suckerpuncher
06-29-2010, 09:31 AM
FIFA is now open to discuss using either the "Hawkeye" technology for goals like it's used for tennis or the chip inside the ball which signals when the ball completely crossed the line.

And FIFA says the use of technology should be regstricted to decide if the ball crossed the line or not and not if it was a good goal or a bad call.

Of those 2 options I'd prefer the chip if it had to be one. But the goal line judges would still be the best solution.

And I just read Barca is interested in buying Özil and instantly loaning him back to Bremen for rthe next season.

And Argentina's Heinze might get a suspension for hitting the camera man but it's unlikely.

MTR
06-29-2010, 10:30 AM
They have talked about the chip before but the chip moves around the ball and it doesn't work very consistent I think. I would rather just have another ref by the goal.

dw13
06-29-2010, 10:32 AM
They have talked about the chip before but the chip moves around the ball and it doesn't work very consistent I think. I would rather just have another ref by the goal.

The only problem I saw in the Europa League with the refs on the sidelines, is they became so disinterested in the game it was unreal. I'm talking arms crossed just barely watching the game.

Hopefully they'd be up for something like the World Cup, though.

suckerpuncher
06-29-2010, 11:00 AM
The latest version of the chip is said to be working flawless.

And the goal line judges need actually a bit more power. At times they didn't even inform the ref when a foul happened 1 meter away from them. They should have the power to inform the ref about anything they see in the box just like the other assistants.

suckerpuncher
06-29-2010, 11:02 AM
And btw. I honestly think nobody derserves to advance in this game right now. Neither Paraguay nor Japan is doing anything to derserve it.

dw13
06-29-2010, 11:07 AM
The latest version of the chip is said to be working flawless.

And the goal line judges need actually a bit more power. At times they didn't even inform the ref when a foul happened 1 meter away from them. They should have the power to inform the ref about anything they see in the box just like the other assistants.

Exactly. I think that's why they looked so disinterested.

Oh and yeah, this game has been rubbish. I do really like Paraguay though. Happy to see Cardozo get put out there. I like him, can't stand Santa Cruz.

keyboard
06-29-2010, 11:41 AM
I will never understand shooting high in a penalty kick.

dw13
06-29-2010, 11:56 AM
I will never understand shooting high in a penalty kick.

I don't really understand that, but anyways...

Quality finish by Cardozo to win it.

keyboard
06-29-2010, 02:59 PM
I don't really understand that, but anyways...Understand what? You can go left or right. The last few kicks proved that speed isn't as important as location. Shooting high increases the difficulty for no reason. Didn't think I had to spell it out.

keyboard
06-29-2010, 03:15 PM
Best soccer officiating I've ever seen in this Spain/Portugal game. Has the feel of a hockey playoff game; let the players play.

keyboard
06-29-2010, 03:18 PM
Spoke too soon.

dw13
06-29-2010, 03:21 PM
Understand what? You can go left or right. The last few kicks proved that speed isn't as important as location. Shooting high increases the difficulty for no reason. Didn't think I had to spell it out.

Cordozo's slow one into the corner was all about his patience and saw the goalie make a move to the other side.

If you have the confidence to slot one home high, go for it. It's just like asking why in a penalty shot in hockey do you go glove side. It isn't increasing the difficulty for "no reason" the reason is to make the PK... You can't defend the top corner.

Spoke too soon.

Costa has been looking for it for 30 minutes now, but that was harsh.

This ref has been the best of the tournament thus far.

suckerpuncher
06-29-2010, 03:21 PM
Understand what? You can go left or right. The last few kicks proved that speed isn't as important as location. Shooting high increases the difficulty for no reason. Didn't think I had to spell it out.
Then again the top corners are the hardest to defend for a goalie since he most of the times can't reach them.
But as shooter you need great accurracy to hit those spots.

Best soccer officiating I've ever seen in this Spain/Portugal game. Has the feel of a hockey playoff game; let the players play.
If it wasn't for that clear offside goal by Villa which proves to be the game winner I'd concur. ;)

dw13
06-29-2010, 03:22 PM
If it wasn't for that clear offside goal by Villa which proves to be the game winner I'd concur. ;)

I haven't seen too many views that show it. Was it clear offside?

The center ref has been outstanding today, though.

suckerpuncher
06-29-2010, 03:29 PM
Let's put it this way - a good linesman should have seen it easily.
Half of his body was offside.

dw13
06-29-2010, 03:33 PM
Let's put it this way - a good linesman should have seen it easily.
Half of his body was offside.

I think initially he looked offside, but ESPN never showed any view of it.

phaneuf6
06-29-2010, 07:17 PM
The Brazilian population got a whole lot bigger today with Portugal being knocked out. At least Toronto will be relatively quiet through the remainder of the tournament.

MTR
06-30-2010, 01:51 PM
I don't think he was offside but then again I didn't see that many replays of the goal.

I did see where the refs that missed the offside on the Tevez goal and didn't award England a goal have been cut from the rest of the cup.

MTR
06-30-2010, 01:53 PM
In other news US Open Cup third round is going on MLS sides are joining in. Chicago and New York got knocked out yesterday. New York used a reserve lineup against the lower division foe. Not sure about Chicago. My AC St. Louis squad took on LA and took it to them for about 30 minutes. Scoreless at the half and LA finally scores in the 69th minute and added another one 10 minutes later to win 2-0.

suckerpuncher
07-01-2010, 05:16 AM
Looks like Hodgson is the new manager in Liverpool. So much for fresh blood.

And rumor has it that Loddar (aka Lothar Matthäus) is set to become the new national coach of Cameroon.
Poor Cameroon. At least Loddar can now talk for hours and hours and his players still don't understand a word from what he says. :lol:

dw13
07-01-2010, 08:49 AM
Looks like Hodgson is the new manager in Liverpool. So much for fresh blood.

And rumor has it that Loddar (aka Lothar Matthäus) is set to become the new national coach of Cameroon.
Poor Cameroon. At least Loddar can now talk for hours and hours and his players still don't understand a word from what he says. :lol:

Don't get me started on the Hodgson hire. Purslow and the American slimeballs got someone who won't speak their mind about them, and will just go out and do the job with a low budget. Hodgson employs negative football, and it will be a joke to watch. I'm just worried about hanging onto Torres and Gerrard now, why would they want to play for a mediocre coach?

I'm behind him, but there was better options, but none wanted to come into such a shit situation with the owners.

Really sad day in LFC History... but I'll be behind Roy now that he's our manager.

phaneuf6
07-01-2010, 02:52 PM
Soooo rattled I can't watch the game tomorrow because of work.

dw13
07-02-2010, 09:04 AM
Can't fucking stand De Jong.

suckerpuncher
07-02-2010, 09:20 AM
Btw. great pass by Melo to set up Robinho goal and nice finish, too.

dw13
07-02-2010, 09:21 AM
Btw. great pass by Melo to set up Robinho goal and nice finish, too.

Yeah, was a peach of a ball. Robinho looks so confident when he plays for Brazil it's unreal.

dw13
07-02-2010, 10:10 AM
1-1, we're in for a fun second half now.

dw13
07-02-2010, 10:25 AM
Wow. 2-1, Netherlands.

dw13
07-02-2010, 10:30 AM
Oh FFS, Melo. What are you doing?

Melo sent himself off there... but Robben is such a little diver. Always has been, always will be and is showing it in this match.

Still, Brazil has to keep their cool...

dw13
07-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Well that's it, Brazil is out. They have themselves to blame. A horrible own goal, and the poor defending on the second goal. They were clearly the better team up until that own goal, and then after they went down they lost their heads and Melo got sent off.

Some pretty poor acting from both teams all game long. Asking for yellow cards, yelling at anyone that fell down and losing their heads way too much.

Pretty shocking, especially after the first 15-25 minutes.

suckerpuncher
07-02-2010, 10:57 AM
For some reason Brazil pretty much stopped playing aftrer they had the lead.
And then Holland got lucky. The 1-1 was more than just a lucky break after that own goal/keeper mistake.

As far as the red card goes it wasn't for the foul but for the kick to the knee once Robben was down on the ground. And that is a clear red card.

And yes, both teams and both coaches were frequently asking to book opposing players. Maybe the ref should have given a yellow card for one of the players asking to book an opponent to show them that they should shut up.

dw13
07-02-2010, 10:59 AM
For some reason Brazil pretty much stopped playing aftrer they had the lead.
And then Holland got lucky. The 1-1 was more than just a lucky break after that own goal/keeper mistake.

As far as the red card goes it wasn't for the foul but for the kick to the knee once Robben was down on the ground. And that is a clear red card.

And yes, both teams and both coaches were frequently asking to book opposing players. Maybe the ref should have given a yellow card for one of the players asking to book an opponent to show them that they should shut up.

I know why he got sent off... like I said he did it to himself. Stupid decision to stomp on him. Robben's diving and embellishing got into their heads, and Brazil only have themselves to blame.

I agree the ref should of showed a yellow to one of the players asking... but then again, he didn't even book Van Bommel after about 30 rash challenges.

MTR
07-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Expected a good game but I would have expected a 2-1 score in Brazil's favor though. Hard to believe Brazil out this early honestly. The Dutch could possibly walk right into the finals now.

mrtybrodur30
07-02-2010, 01:24 PM
I like Uruguay to get through to the Finals. They have to get past Ghana first but Uruguay is pretty strong everywhere and playing well. I think they can win the next two games.

dw13
07-02-2010, 01:25 PM
I like Uruguay to get through to the Finals. They have to get past Ghana first but Uruguay is pretty strong everywhere and playing well. I think they can win the next two games.

They'll have to show me some amazing play again today for me to think they are going to get by the Netherlands.

phaneuf6
07-02-2010, 01:37 PM
Missed the game so won't comment now, will watch it on demand later.. just happy with the result.

dw13
07-02-2010, 02:21 PM
HT.

Ghana 1-0, Muntari bomb from distance in stoppage time.

dw13
07-02-2010, 02:45 PM
Forlan the wanker ties it at 1.

Another good second half coming.

mrtybrodur30
07-02-2010, 04:02 PM
WOW he missed it! I thought it was over.

Suarez out next game is really bad if they advance, but I guess it paid off they barely survived to get to the penalties.

dw13
07-02-2010, 04:02 PM
You couldn't write a better ending!!!!!!!

Going to penalties. What an absolute belter of a finish

dw13
07-02-2010, 04:17 PM
Houdini act from Uruguay to survive there.

They'll miss Suarez immensely in the semi-final.

mrtybrodur30
07-02-2010, 04:17 PM
Damn how crazy was that finish, Uruguay got lucky to escape that one, just wow. Who would have thought one of the heroes is Suarez getting that red on the hand ball lol. Sucks hes out for next game but if he didnt do what he did it would have been over for them tonight.

dw13
07-02-2010, 04:18 PM
What a cruel way to be knocked out. The penalty shootout sucks as is, but the turn of events was absolutely stunning. Gyan is going to have nightmares for months.

suckerpuncher
07-02-2010, 04:26 PM
I like the penalty shootout. Especially since there are no other options.
Both Golden and Silver Goal failed miserably and instead of tossing a coin or scheduling a rematch like they did decades ago there's at least some action involved.

But the final minutes of OT and the shootout itself were a real thriller. Even Hitchcock or King couldn't write a better ending. ;)

dw13
07-02-2010, 04:30 PM
I like the penalty shootout. Especially since there are no other options.
Both Golden and Silver Goal failed miserably and instead of tossing a coin or scheduling a rematch like they did decades ago there's at least some action involved.

But the final minutes of OT and the shootout itself were a real thriller. Even Hitchcock or King couldn't write a better ending. ;)

:lol::lol:

I cannot stand the penalty shootout.

suckerpuncher
07-02-2010, 04:33 PM

I cannot stand the penalty shootout.
But what should be the alternative?

dw13
07-02-2010, 04:42 PM
But what should be the alternative?

There isn't any, I get that and agree with that. I just dislike the shootout because it feels so cruel to the loser.

Zangetsu
07-02-2010, 04:58 PM
WOW!!!

That was unbelievable. Poor Ghana.

Holland should be able to dispatch Uruguay in the semi's, especially with Suarez serving his suspension.

Germany/Argentina should be great tomorrow. Spain seems to be finding their groove. I would be very surprised to see Paraguay beat them.

b_illin
07-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Nice upset Holland.

Poor Ghana...had Suarez not been on the goal line to commit the hand ball, Ghana would be moving on...then to hit the crossbar like that. :(

dw13
07-02-2010, 08:07 PM
Nice upset Holland.

Poor Ghana...had Suarez not been on the goal line to commit the hand ball, Ghana would be moving on...then to hit the crossbar like that. :(

I was hoping I was going to read your thoughts on Roy Hodgson when I saw your name in here!!

Cornholio
07-03-2010, 06:19 AM
Poor Ghana :(
Poor Gyan!!!
He must have been the sadest man on earth last night...

Can't wait for the German's game!!!

suckerpuncher
07-03-2010, 07:02 AM
I really hat this part right now. Waitng until the game finally starts.
Even though it's an early afternoon game but still it's te weekend and there isn't much else to do.

I hope for great match and for us to win it.

dw13
07-03-2010, 09:51 AM
C'mon Germany... hold on and finish them

phaneuf6
07-03-2010, 09:54 AM
C'mon Germany... hold on and finish them

Hanging on for dear life at some stages there. I'd like to see them keep attacking. It'll be tough in the semi without Mueller if they make it...kind of unfortunate to miss a World Cup semifinal on a handball like that.

dw13
07-03-2010, 09:55 AM
Hanging on for dear life at some stages there. I'd like to see them keep attacking. It'll be tough in the semi without Mueller if they make it...kind of unfortunate to miss a World Cup semifinal on a handball like that.

To be fair Germany's counter looked really dangerous at times, and if they catch Argentina on a counter that they finish, it could be all over.

That's a joke of a yellow card on Mueller. Absolute joke.

phaneuf6
07-03-2010, 10:01 AM
To be fair Germany's counter looked really dangerous at times, and if they catch Argentina on a counter that they finish, it could be all over.

That's a joke of a yellow card on Mueller. Absolute joke.

Yeah it did..Argentina's midfielders are so offensive minded that they're probably going to get a few good counter chances like that in the next half.

Yea for sure. I thought after the quarters every player was getting a clean slate..or round of 16, not sure what I heard. Guess I was wrong.

dw13
07-03-2010, 10:03 AM
Yeah it did..Argentina's midfielders are so offensive minded that they're probably going to get a few good counter chances like that in the next half.

Yea for sure. I thought after the quarters every player was getting a clean slate..or round of 16, not sure what I heard. Guess I was wrong.

Mascherano is a star though. He's the only reason they can focus so much on the attack. He breaks up play like no one else in the world, IMO.

I don't get why they have a left footed Di Maria on the right, and a right footed Maxi on the left. I hate it. So predictable.

After the quarters is right, this is the quarters though. If he would of made it through this game clean, the slate would of been wiped clean for the semi's and on.

phaneuf6
07-03-2010, 10:08 AM
Mascherano is a star though. He's the only reason they can focus so much on the attack. He breaks up play like no one else in the world, IMO.

I don't get why they have a left footed Di Maria on the right, and a right footed Maxi on the left. I hate it. So predictable.

After the quarters is right, this is the quarters though. If he would of made it through this game clean, the slate would of been wiped clean for the semi's and on.

Oh, thanks for clearing that up.

And I don't think Maradona is much of a coach, he just gets the respect he earned as a player, similar to what Gretzky had with Phoenix, at least in the first few years of his coaching career.

dw13
07-03-2010, 10:11 AM
Oh, thanks for clearing that up.

And I don't think Maradona is much of a coach, he just gets the respect he earned as a player, similar to what Gretzky had with Phoenix, at least in the first few years of his coaching career.

Maradona is a joke. They barely even qualified to the World Cup :lol:

I hate the fact they've done so well this WC because he's gotten everyone off his back. Not selecting Cambiasso and Zanetti was one of the biggest jokes leading into this tournament.

I want Argentina out mostly because of Maradona, and I have two players I really love on the Argies in Maxi and Mascherano. Maradona just outweighs them with my dislike of him.

dw13
07-03-2010, 10:25 AM
Absolutely brilliant. Mueller lovely ball while on the ground.

Get out of the tournament Argentina.

dw13
07-03-2010, 10:31 AM
Schweinsteiger, just a wonderful individual effort. He's been man of the match for me. He's been everywhere.

Destroyed Argentina.

MrScientist
07-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Maradona's butthole, I'd like you to meet Germany.

dw13
07-03-2010, 10:46 AM
If it wasn't before, its now a complete thrashing. 4-0 Germany.

suckerpuncher
07-03-2010, 10:57 AM
In your face, Maradona.
That's what you get when you disrespect us. I hope now you know whoy Müller is unlike a couple of moth ago when you send him away on a press conference saying you don't know hwo he is and he doesn't deserve to be at the same podium as you.

Wow!!!
What a great game. Never in my wildest dreams I would have guessed a 4-0 win over Argentina.
The quick goal help us and then via counter attacks in the second half we knocked Argentina off.
But just like in the England game we had some trouble between the 35th and 65th minutes.

The whole team played great on defense not allowing anything for Messi, Tevez and Higuain. Especially Boateng did an amazing job on the left side.
We actually outplayed Argentina. Unbelievable.

The only knock is the fact Müller got his second yellow card and will miss the semi final.

For once I hope that we'll catch a lucky break and get Paraguay in the semis but knowing out luck it will be the rematch of the EURO 2008 against Spain.

Anyway, time to enjoy the day.

dw13
07-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Enjoy it SP. Awesome performance.

b_illin
07-03-2010, 12:07 PM
I was hoping I was going to read your thoughts on Roy Hodgson when I saw your name in here!!

He did a great job with Fullham, but tbh, I don't know much about him. (i've sort of tuned out of Liverpool stuff in the last year...the whole clusterfuck just annoys me...I think I'll stay on the sidelines til the team gets sold ...silent protest :D)

dw13
07-03-2010, 12:46 PM
He did a great job with Fullham, but tbh, I don't know much about him. (i've sort of tuned out of Liverpool stuff in the last year...the whole clusterfuck just annoys me...I think I'll stay on the sidelines til the team gets sold ...silent protest :D)

I don't know. He never really did that great with Fulham. Granted he was on a lower budget, but he employs negative football and finished I think 12th this season? Yeah they made it to the Europa League final, but we have had success in Europe, we are looking for a league title!

The owners and Purslow know he won't talk up to them, and he's there under a limited budget. The quicker they sell (if they are truly serious about that) the better.

Dumb and Dumber need to get the f*ck out of our club!!!

dw13
07-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Absolutely insane what just happend in this Spain game.

Peno given to Paraguay, saved. They go down literally 30 seconds later, Spain gets a peno that should of been a sending off, but it wasn't. Alonso makes the PK, they rule the players came into the box too early... Xabi takes it again and SAVED!!!

0-0, 62nd minute. Crazy finish coming.

phaneuf6
07-03-2010, 02:51 PM
Absolutely insane what just happend in this Spain game.

Peno given to Paraguay, saved. They go down literally 30 seconds later, Spain gets a peno that should of been a sending off, but it wasn't. Alonso makes the PK, they rule the players came into the box too early... Xabi takes it again and SAVED!!!

0-0, 62nd minute. Crazy finish coming.

A sending off?! Is that a joke dawinna?!

dw13
07-03-2010, 02:53 PM
A sending off?! Is that a joke dawinna?!

He was the last man back... if you call the PK for Spain there, it's a sending off. Plain and simple.

Last man back takes down a goal scoring chance = red card, every time. It doesn't matter if he flicks him and the ref calls the Peno, it's a red.

dw13
07-03-2010, 03:10 PM
Great run from Iniesta. Villa goal.

1-0, Spain 82nd minute.

suckerpuncher
07-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Talk about a lucky bounce. The ball hit the post 3 times before t finally went in.

Looks like Paraguay isn't able to mount a comeback.

suckerpuncher
07-03-2010, 03:16 PM
That's the Santa Cruz we all know. He just can't hit anything.

dw13
07-03-2010, 03:16 PM
That's the Santa Cruz we all know. He just can't hit anything.

If he isn't hurt, he's missing everything.

suckerpuncher
07-03-2010, 03:18 PM
And Santana should try out MMA. Nice kick to Ramos head. ;)

suckerpuncher
07-03-2010, 03:36 PM
And Spain holds on and now they'll meet us in the semis.
Down to the final 4 teams.

So, what does everybody think, who is the biggest surprise in this World Cup so far?

Uruguay? - Nobody expected them to reach the semis. They had a relatively easy road but still making it so far is a surprise.

Holland? - They were always mention as one f the tier 2 teams who could make it if they play well. Knocking off top favorite Brazil was nonetheless an mild upset.

Spain? - As EURO champ they were one of the 3 top favorites (along with Brazil and Argentina) and they made it to semis as expected. Even though it was quite a piece of work and probably harder than thought.

Germany? - After all those injuries and the inexperienced team nobody really expected anything before the WC started. And so far they had the toughest road and they mastered it demolishing both England and top favorite Argentina and also played the best football so far.

I'm completely biased so you can guess who I'd choose. But Uruguay is 2nd.

mrtybrodur30
07-03-2010, 05:30 PM
great games today.

I still like Uruguay to get through, but im not as confident with Suarez being out. They will have to play a great game, but I think they can. But yeah Uruguay has been fun to watch this World Cup for sure I have been surprised with them.

Only team I want to win is Germany so im going for them but Spain will be tough. Whatever happens I just want Spain out at some point and im hoping its in the next match.

phaneuf6
07-03-2010, 05:52 PM
great games today.

I still like Uruguay to get through, but im not as confident with Suarez being out. They will have to play a great game, but I think they can. But yeah Uruguay has been fun to watch this World Cup for sure I have been surprised with them.

Only team I want to win is Germany so im going for them but Spain will be tough. Whatever happens I just want Spain out at some point and im hoping its in the next match.

Not sure how you can say that unless you like watching a team play not to lose.. it's boring as hell watching Uruguay play. I think the Netherlands will take the game to them and blow them out of the water in the semi final. Uruguay haven't played a good team in the tournament yet and I think they'll be overwhelmed from the get go.

mrtybrodur30
07-03-2010, 06:01 PM
They dont play not to lose they play smart, rely on there defense and look to counter attack. Which will be alot harder without Suarez. If Uruguay gets scored on very early they might have a problem but I think Uruguay will still get alot of chances to score themselves especially the way Forlan has played. You dont have to score 3 to win, 1-0 is a win as well as winning in penalties. Anyway its just my opinion, and you obviously have yours but c'mon dont take it as an insult dude.

phaneuf6
07-03-2010, 06:08 PM
They dont play not to lose they play smart, rely on there defense and look to counter attack. Which will be alot harder without Suarez. If Uruguay gets scored on very early they might have a problem but I think Uruguay will still get alot of chances to score themselves especially the way Forlan has played. You dont have to score 3 to win, 1-0 is a win as well as winning in penalties. Anyway its just my opinion, and you obviously have yours but c'mon dont take it as an insult dude.

Who took it as an insult? I'm just telling you what I see. They play boring, cautious soccer. I can't respect a team that plays 'not to lose'. If they had the confidence to 'rely on their backs' as you say, they wouldn't play this style.

mrtybrodur30
07-03-2010, 06:29 PM
Who took it as an insult? I'm just telling you what I see. They play boring, cautious soccer. I can't respect a team that plays 'not to lose'. If they had the confidence to 'rely on their backs' as you say, they wouldn't play this style.Im sure they a very sad you dont respect them. Who gives a shit how you play they are still in the semi-final. I think they are playing great as a team and they have been getting the decision so thats all that matters. Uruguay is the underdog but I think they have a better chance than most will give them.

dw13
07-03-2010, 06:43 PM
I hope Lodeiro replaces Suarez. I want to see that kid on a bigger stage, he's loaded with talent.

Cornholio
07-04-2010, 09:35 AM
Diego who? :D

Looking forward to the semis, hoping for the "dream final": Germany vs Holland

dw13
07-04-2010, 09:41 AM
I hope Lodeiro replaces Suarez. I want to see that kid on a bigger stage, he's loaded with talent.

Lodeiro broke a broke in the last match. Out for the rest of the tournament :\

phaneuf6
07-04-2010, 09:44 AM
Lodeiro broke a broke in the last match. Out for the rest of the tournament :\

I broke my broke once too..it hurts like a motherfucker.

:D

dw13
07-04-2010, 09:47 AM
I broke my broke once too..it hurts like a motherfucker.

:D

Haha, oops :lol: Broke a bone*

I want this WC to be over now. I want full attention back on LFC, and what is going to happen.

phaneuf6
07-04-2010, 09:48 AM
Haha, oops :lol: Broke a bone*

I want this WC to be over now. I want full attention back on LFC, and what is going to happen.

Typical American. Can't enjoy it unless your own country is in it. :p

dw13
07-04-2010, 09:51 AM
Typical American. Can't enjoy it unless your own country is in it. :p

I love the WC and have been enjoying it but it's July. It's time to focus back on club football and with everything Liverpool is going through I want to know Torres and Gerrard are going to stay atleast another year.

phaneuf6
07-04-2010, 09:51 AM

I love the WC and have been enjoying it but it's July. It's time to focus back on club football and with everything Liverpool is going through I want to know Torres and Gerrard are going to stay atleast another year.

Torres to City!

dw13
07-04-2010, 09:53 AM
Torres to City!

He would/will never.

phaneuf6
07-06-2010, 04:43 AM
Pumped.

suckerpuncher
07-06-2010, 04:54 AM
Looking at the history of the WC here can only be one champ - Uruguay.

So far no European team has ever won a WC outside of Europe. That would eliminate Holland, Spain and Germany and leave only Uruguay to win. ;)

MTR
07-06-2010, 12:25 PM
:lol: Nice logic. I think history is going to change though. Can't see Uruguay winning this.

dw13
07-06-2010, 01:48 PM
The old man with an absolute THUNDERBOLT

1-0 Netherlands.

phaneuf6
07-06-2010, 01:49 PM
Van Bronckhorst! Holy! What a strike!

dw13
07-06-2010, 01:50 PM
If nothing else the Dutch always seem to bring the hottest female fans :lol:

dw13
07-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Robben goes down clutching a knee, when he was kicked in the foot :lol:

Instantly gets up after the booking is issued.

Can't stand the wanker. Hated him at Chelsea for the same stupid act.

phaneuf6
07-06-2010, 02:02 PM
Robben goes down clutching a knee, when he was kicked in the foot :lol:

Instantly gets up after the booking is issued.

Can't stand the wanker. Hated him at Chelsea for the same stupid act.

You say it as if he's the only one who does it. The whole sport is full of it.

dw13
07-06-2010, 02:04 PM
You say it as if he's the only one who does it. The whole sport is full of it.

There's actually very few that do it to the extent of Robben. Ronaldo and Drogba (come to mind first) are about the only two who go down like a shitbrick on a consistent basis and make it look as if they were shot.

There are numerous divers in the sports, yes. There are VERY few who embellish as much as Arjen Robben.

phaneuf6
07-06-2010, 02:10 PM
Fuck Forlan.

dw13
07-06-2010, 02:11 PM
Fuck Forlan.

Speaking of wankers. I hate him more then Robben.

Mistake from the Dutch keeper.

phaneuf6
07-06-2010, 02:14 PM

Speaking of wankers. I hate him more then Robben.

Mistake from the Dutch keeper.

The comforting part is that Uruguay haven't been able to generate anything offensively outside of long shots. The Dutch need to tighten it up a little bit in the middle and push the ball to the wings. Let Kuyt and Robben take it down the wing and cross it.

suckerpuncher
07-06-2010, 02:14 PM
2 nice goals by long shots.
But it seems like the defense gave both players too much space and time. And they got both lucky.

And about Robben. He probably does it because he doesn't know if he might have torn something again when hje goes down. Better safe than sorry. ;)

dw13
07-06-2010, 02:16 PM
The comforting part is that Uruguay haven't been able to generate anything offensively outside of long shots. The Dutch need to tighten it up a little bit in the middle and push the ball to the wings. Let Kuyt and Robben take it down the wing and cross it.

Sneijder has gone missing after the first goal. Needs to get back into the game in the second half.

To be fair, the Dutch haven't done much of anything either outside of the old mans belter.

Should be a good second 45.

2 nice goals by long shots.
But it seems like the defense gave both players too much space and time. And they got both lucky.

And about Robben. He probably does it because he doesn't know if he might have torn something again when hje goes down. Better safe than sorry. ;)

That's actually true :lol: Never know with him.

dw13
07-06-2010, 02:33 PM
VdV coming in.

Kuyt to play uptop with RVP?

dw13
07-06-2010, 02:59 PM
RVP was offside, and he was clearly in the play? Could of easily been given offside.

Sneijder with his 5th.

2-1, 70th minute.

suckerpuncher
07-06-2010, 03:00 PM
Out of nowhere Holland is up 2-1.

Could have been called back for offside since can Persie might have irritated the keeper.

dw13
07-06-2010, 03:01 PM
Surely the Dutch are through now. Robben after a peach of a ball from Dirk Kuyt.

suckerpuncher
07-06-2010, 03:01 PM
And now it's over. When Robben scores with a header it's clearly over.

dw13
07-06-2010, 03:03 PM
And now it's over. When Robben scores with a header it's clearly over.

To be fair, he did well with it.

Edit: Sneijder has also scored on a header in this WC, and it was his first ever in International football. Robben's too? :lol:

nyrblue2
07-06-2010, 03:07 PM
More of a general question than soccer specific - but why do a lot of countries' national team uniforms not match their flags' colors at all? Like why does Holland wear orange in everything and why does Italy wear blue?

phaneuf6
07-06-2010, 03:09 PM
More of a general question than soccer specific - but why do a lot of countries' national team uniforms not match their flags' colors at all? Like why does Holland wear orange in everything and why does Italy wear blue?

Orange is the colour of the Dutch Royal Family. Here's an article about it.

http://goamsterdam.about.com/od/planatrip/a/color_orange.htm

Not sure about Italy. Too many countries would be wearing red, white, and blue if you had to stick to your flag colours.. France, Holland, the US, Slovenia, Russia, Croatia, Slovakia, etc.

Loving my new orange jersey straight from Amsterdam right now. My buddy just got back from a trip to Amsterdam and Maastricht and picked me up one.

dw13
07-06-2010, 03:22 PM
I don't fancy Hollands chances over Germany or Spain. Unconvincing again today, IMO.

That being said, they have the skill to win it without question. I don't think they'll be favorites though.

phaneuf6
07-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Cavani is a fucking joke. Quit the bullshit after the game, you lost.

Glad to see my boys go through to the final. A better effort will have to be put forward against whoever advances tomorrow.

dw13
07-06-2010, 03:25 PM
Later Forlan.

dw13
07-06-2010, 03:30 PM
In other news, Roman Abromovich is flying to South Africa in hopes of sealing a £55m move for Fernando Torres to Chavski :lol:

Try £85m and Florent Malouda, and then maybe we'll talk :rolleyes:

dw13
07-06-2010, 03:39 PM
In other news, Roman Abromovich is flying to South Africa in hopes of sealing a £55m move for Fernando Torres to Chavski :lol:

Try £85m and Florent Malouda, and then maybe we'll talk :rolleyes:

To continue talking to myself, although I thought this was interest you Conor.

Sneijder is a £25m target of Manchester United.

Problem? Rafa is the new manager, and whiskey nose has to convince him to sell to him :lol: