PDA

View Full Version : Official Football (Soccer) Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Winger72
05-09-2010, 09:40 AM
Does anyone know anything about Marouane Chamakh? He's been rumored to be headed to Arsenal for awhile now, and now it looks like he's finally coming.

Also, is anyone playing Y! World Cup game?

Easy 3-1 win to finish off the Bundesliga season.
Nice to see van Gaal get his beer shower after he stated the whole week that he doesn't want it to happen. But he signaled that he's ok with it by switching from a his standard suit to some sort of track suit during halftime.

2 down. 2 to go.

Ok, I know 1 of the 2 is the Champions League. But what's the 2nd?

dw13
05-09-2010, 10:10 AM
I really rate Chamakh. Great talent. He's strong in the air, really good linkup player and he's a crafty finisher infront of the net. He'll fit in perfectly with Arsenal's style of play.

I'm sure Sucker is talking about a League Cup in Germany, or something along the lines of that.

dw13
05-09-2010, 10:36 AM
Chelsea up 2-0 after a Lampard pen, and Wigan went down to 10 men.

Should be Chelsea's title.

Anyone but the mancs :D

suckerpuncher
05-09-2010, 10:47 AM
That's right.
Next Saturday is the final of the German cup competition (DFB-Pokal) where Bayern will meet long-time rival Werder Bremen.

And btw. Either van Gaal or Mourinho will join the elite group of coaching legends Ottmar Hitzfeld (Germany) and Ernst Happel (austria) by winning the UCL (or it's predecessor) with 2 different clubs.
Van Gaal already won it with Ajax and Morinho with Porto.

As far as the Y! World Cup game goes if someone opens a group I'll join. But I doubt that there will be many people joining since for whatever reason soccer doesn't seem to be that people in North America as it is in the rest of the world.

phaneuf6
05-09-2010, 10:54 AM
I'd be down for a World Cup game.

suckerpuncher
05-09-2010, 03:14 PM
I created a group and a new thread where you can find all the info and where we can discuss it.

dw13
05-11-2010, 04:26 PM
Bob Bradley is a joke.

dw13
05-12-2010, 10:04 AM
John Terry is rumored to have broken his foot, thus ruling him out of the World Cup.

That would be too good to be true.

dw13
05-12-2010, 04:08 PM
Diego Forlan in extra time, looks like thats the dagger into Fulham.

I cannot stand him.

dw13
05-13-2010, 06:52 PM
Sucker, you mind giving me your views on Mesut Özil. Do you get to see him a bit at Werder Bremen? Do you rate him? Is he better through the middle or can he play outwide?

suckerpuncher
05-14-2010, 04:22 AM
He's better trough the middle for sure. Mainly because he isn't that great in 1on1 situation and dribblings. And he doesn't like to help out on defense.

But what he lacks there he makes up for with his playmaking abilities. He's (more or less) a true #10. A playmaker and passer who also scores goals.

He fits the typical #10 the stereotypes.

He had a down time late 2009 and early 2010 because he seemed to be really tired after playing 100+ in less than 2 years with no real off-season (he played the U21 EURO during the summer). A whole lot of games for a young kid.
During that 10 game slump he only had 1 goal and 2 assists while playing in all but 2 games for the whole 90 minutes.

But he found his way out and still ended the season with 9 goals and 17 assists in the Bundesliga. And another 9 assists in the German cup and Europa League.

He profited from Werder's offensive style. I think he would have a harder time playing for defensive clubs / styles like in Italy. And I think he's too young to have a real shot at a club like Barca.
ManCity might be a good fit for him to develop further (if those rumors are true).

He's destined to be at least the creative leader for our national squad. Given his position it's obvious. But so far he isn't a real team leader.
The good thing is he doesn't need to help out on defense a whole lot because he has both Ballack and Schweinsteiger right behind him so he can concentrate on offense.

dw13
05-14-2010, 07:34 AM
Good stuff. Thanks for that.

I'm hoping he doesn't end up at City

dw13
05-15-2010, 09:38 AM
Ballack just took a nasty tackle from Kevin-Price Boateng.

Not sure how serious he's hurt, but he definitely took a knock.

suckerpuncher
05-15-2010, 03:41 PM
There's title #2.

Werder had about 5 good minutes but the other 85 minutes Bayern dominated so the win and the result is well deserved.

For once Ribery was really poised. probably thinking this would be his only final this year. But there's still a chance that the CAS overrules his ban and he might actually play in the UCL final next week.

On a personal note I think atmosphere- and party-wise the German cup final was head and shoulder above the FA cup final this afternoon. Not just because ours was a prime time night game.

As far as the Ballack situation goes he good thing is that he didn't break anything. Let's hope that the MRI tomorrow to check ligament damage comes also back negative.
That foul (in my eyes) was worse than the one from Ribery against Lyon. That was a clear cut red card because Boateng didn't had any chance to get to the ball while Ribery was just a tad late.
Some additional fuel to the fire is the fact that Boateng now will play for Ghana in the same group as Germany. While his brother Jerome plays for Germany.
I'm not saying that he fouled Ballack hard intentionally but it was reckless for sure.

Anyway.
3 down. 1 to go.

dw13
05-15-2010, 03:44 PM
Yeah, that tackle from Boateng for me is a red card every time.

suckerpuncher
05-15-2010, 05:51 PM
Btw. Is it true that the UCL final next week will be live on FOX in the US?
The second biggest soccer game this year on a network in the US. That's quite an accomplishment.
I know it's an afternoon game for you but still.

dw13
05-15-2010, 05:57 PM
Btw. Is it true that the UCL final next week will be live on FOX in the US?
The second biggest soccer game this year on a network in the US. That's quite an accomplishment.
I know it's an afternoon game for you but still.

I imagine it'll be on Fox Soccer Channel, not normal Fox. Last year ESPN had the rights to the group stages, but this year FSC has had it all.

I doubt it'll be on normal FOX.

Oh and I'm going over to England later this year!! Going to try to get to The Reebok, Old Trafford, as well as definitely going to Anfield.

suckerpuncher
05-15-2010, 06:10 PM
Oh and I'm going over to England later this year!! Going to try to get to The Reebok, Old Trafford, as well as definitely going to Anfield.
Hopefully once the season started again in August so you can catch some games.

Even if there are normally no games played take a look at the new Wembley stadium. I know it's doesn't have the aura, myth or controversy of the real (old) Wembley stadium but it still is Wembley.
But than again as German there are more emotions involved with this place than for other nations. :lol:

I imagine it'll be on Fox Soccer Channel, not normal Fox. Last year ESPN had the rights to the group stages, but this year FSC has had it all.

I doubt it'll be on normal FOX.
Sounded different on the promo during the Phillies/Brewers game.

dw13
05-15-2010, 06:18 PM
Hopefully once the season started again in August so you can catch some games.

Even if there are normally no games played take a look at the new Wembley stadium. I know it's doesn't have the aura, myth or controversy of the real (old) Wembley stadium but it still is Wembley.
But than again as German there are more emotions involved with this place than for other nations. :lol:

I'm definitely set up for a couple at Anfield, and I've been before but I'm going to try to catch games everywhere... even at places like Oldham, Sheffield and Huddersfield just to watch some.

Hopefully we have new owners by then, and some players to help out.

Sounded different on the promo during the Phillies/Brewers game.

It's going to be on Fox normal, I just looked it up. That's pretty awesome.

Although, Andy Gray will be commentating :(

phaneuf6
05-15-2010, 06:18 PM
Nice goal on that free by Drogba today. What, maybe 22 yards out bottom corner? Top class.

dw13
05-15-2010, 06:20 PM
Nice goal on that free by Drogba today. What, maybe 22 yards out bottom corner? Top class.

He actually hit an even better one earlier in the game, David James barely got a finger to it and it took it off the bar.

Don't like Drogba at all, but he is a top 3 striker in the world.

suckerpuncher
05-15-2010, 06:25 PM
I think Drogba has now played 3 games @Wembley and scored in every one of them.

And nice to see Lampard already in the typical England penalty kick mode. Right in time for the WC. :D

suckerpuncher
05-15-2010, 06:27 PM
I'm definitely set up for a couple at Anfield, and I've been before but I'm going to try to catch games everywhere... even at places like Oldham, Sheffield and Huddersfield just to watch some.

Hopefully we have new owners by then, and some players to help out.

Maybe you should give the groundhopping business a try. :lol:

dw13
05-15-2010, 06:29 PM
I think Drogba has now played 3 games @Wembley and scored in every one of them.

And nice to see Lampard already in the typical England penalty kick mode. Right in time for the WC. :D

No shit, eh. He's normally automatic from the spot.

Maybe you should give the groundhopping business a try. :lol:

Just for the 3 weeks I'm over there :lol:

dw13
05-17-2010, 07:35 AM
Ballack out of the World Cup. Tough break Sucker.

In other news, Chelsea is gearing towards a £130M bid for Fernando Torres.

Fuck off Chelsea

suckerpuncher
05-17-2010, 11:35 AM
Damn. That bastard Boateng should rot in hell.
I can't see him surving the game Germany vs. Ghana. Someone will get revenge during the match and it ain't gonna be pretty. :mtr:
Wouldn't it be poetic if his brother Jerome would take him out. :evilgrin:

And after we already lost our 2 best keepers (Adler with a rib injury and Enke after his suicide) we now also lost our captain.
That will be an awfully tough road now.

dw13
05-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Damn. That bastard Boateng should rot in hell.
I can't see him surving the game Germany vs. Ghana. Someone will get revenge during the match and it ain't gonna be pretty. :mtr:
Wouldn't it be poetic if his brother Jerome would take him out. :evilgrin:

And after we already lost our 2 best keepers (Adler with a rib injury and Enke after his suicide) we now also lost our captain.
That will be an awfully tough road now.

Yeah, that's rough. I'd love to see Jerome take him out, would be classic :lol:

Germany is deep enough though. Is Serbia in that group? Their my sleeper. As soon as I saw the team they released, they are really strong.

suckerpuncher
05-17-2010, 06:20 PM
Yes, Serbia, Australia and Ghana are in our group.
Serbia plays that defense-oriented style that doesn't suit us very well. Gonna be a tough matchup.

dw13
05-17-2010, 07:27 PM
Yes, Serbia, Australia and Ghana are in our group.
Serbia plays that defense-oriented style that doesn't suit us very well. Gonna be a tough matchup.

Group looks tougher and tougher, I still like Germany to win the group.

suckerpuncher
05-21-2010, 03:29 AM
Seens like Bayern and Ribery agreed to a new contract trough 2014/2015 season.
Ribery wants to announce the new contract on Sunday afternoon when the team presents at least the German cup (and hopefully more) to the fans.

And the German team Turbine Potsdam won the women's UCL last night. I hope it's a good sign for things to come.

Anyway I'm already very excited and can't wait for Saturday.

dw13
05-25-2010, 06:36 PM
Looking forward to tonights game. See some fringe players show off their stuff.

dw13
05-26-2010, 12:32 PM
USA Final 23:

Goalkeepers: Tim Howard, Marcus Hahnemann, Brad Guzan.

Defenders: Carlos Boncanegra, Jonathan Bornstein, Charles Cherundolo, Jay DeMerit, Clarence Goodson, Oguchi Oneywu, Jonathan Spector.

Midfielders: DaMarcus Beasley, Michael Bradley, Ricardo Clark, Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan, Maurice Edu, Benny Feilhaber, Stuart Holden, Jose Torres.

Forwards: Jozy Altidore, Edson Buddle, Robbie Findley, Herculez Gomez.

Hoping we play Altidore as the lone striker, with Dempsey right behind him. Donovan on the left, Holden on the right. Edu and Bradley the holding mids

Onyewu and Boca in the middle, Spector and Dolo on the outside defensively.

I worry about Bradley's selections when it comes to first 11.

suckerpuncher
05-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Hahnemann, Bornstein and Feilhaber.
Is there a German colony over there? :lol:

And it looks like Jermaine Jones didn't make he team. But then again he missed the whole season with a broken tibia and still isn't healthy.

dw13
05-26-2010, 01:04 PM
Hahnemann, Bornstein and Feilhaber.
Is there a German colony over there? :lol:

And it looks like Jermaine Jones didn't make he team. But then again he missed the whole season with a broken tibia and still isn't healthy.

Yeah, he wasn't even called into camp. Guess he didn't recover. I still like Edu as much as Jones to be honest.

I'm ready for the World Cup!

MTR
05-26-2010, 03:37 PM
Jones wasn't healthy much like Davis.

All this talk in the past about Freddy Adu and he doesn't even get near this roster yet. I know he is still young but I wonder if he was not overhyped a lot.

People are upset about Ching. I am not. Not a fan. Then again I am not sure about his replacement. Guess we shall wait and see.

dw13
05-26-2010, 03:39 PM
Jones wasn't healthy much like Davis.

All this talk in the past about Freddy Adu and he doesn't even get near this roster yet. I know he is still young but I wonder if he was not overhyped a lot.

People are upset about Ching. I am not. Not a fan. Then again I am not sure about his replacement. Guess we shall wait and see.

Not a fan of Ching either, he doesn't bring anything to the team. He's a hold-it-up forward, and his goal scoring rate isn't good enough. Jozy can do both. The other 3 we kept on are going to be quick and have been in goal scoring form, so I like that. They can run off Jozy, they can find space and get behind the defense if given the chance.

Adu has actually done well since he moved to Aris, I guess a little too late. I hope he finds a club he can play for, find his form and come back for next WCQ and help the team out. His talent is undeniable, he just needs the right fit.

I'm pumped!

suckerpuncher
05-31-2010, 03:46 PM
Damn, our players drop like flies.

Latest victim is now Westermann. Another blow especially for our defense which wasn't in good shape anyway.
Adler, (Enke), Ballack, Träsch, Rolfes, and Westermann.
At least we have a good excuse in case we don't win it.

But Ghana will also be without Essien who's probably even more important to them than Ballack is for us.

And btw. nice article: http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/37436096/ns/sports-soccer/

suckerpuncher
06-02-2010, 07:10 AM
10 worst calls calls: http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/37317177/ns/sports-world_cup/

Wow, we're involved in 4 out of those 10. Quite an accompolishment.:lol:

#9 is priceless.:D

As far as #6 goes since the ref missed the call on the foul against Augenthaler he made up for with this call. And afterall Argentina didn't deserved to win this one since they played horribly.

And in my eyes #2 should be #1. Afterall it was the first big screwjob ever.

dw13
06-02-2010, 08:27 AM
:lol:

dw13
06-02-2010, 07:55 PM
Sounds like theyre trying to pay Rafa to go away. This could be the end of the Liverpool club we've known and loved. Broughton, Gillette and Hicks the destroyers. I'm gutted. I really hope tomorrow I wake up to headline "Rafa tells them to shove their compensation"

suckerpuncher
06-03-2010, 07:28 AM
That should be a warning for everyone not let Americans run a European based soccer club which is build completely different than an American sports franchise.

dw13
06-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Well Rafa is officially out. I'm really bummed. What a man he is, what a coach is, he's scouse through and through!!!

YWNA

suckerpuncher
06-03-2010, 01:27 PM
Not a classy move indeed.
But at least they waited until after the season is over and didn't fire him midway through. At least some respect shown.

Last I heard The Diver backed out of the Team USA coaching job (after the WC) a week ago so he's free for Pool. ;)

dw13
06-03-2010, 01:59 PM
Not a classy move indeed.
But at least they waited until after the season is over and didn't fire him midway through. At least some respect shown.

Last I heard The Diver backed out of the Team USA coaching job (after the WC) a week ago so he's free for Pool. ;)

I just don't know where we go from here? Martin O'Neil would be an absolute joke, I like Roy Hodgson but one good season doesn't make a Liverpool manager, King Kenny doesn't want the post and Guus Hiddink won't break his contract with Turkey.

If Martin O'Neil becomes our manager, I'm going to cry. Literally.

Rafa for me is top 3 in the world, why would you want to replace him? American owners, and a Chelsea lifer chairmen just isn't a good recipe to run the team.

suckerpuncher
06-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Not completely impressed with our final test.
First half wasn't really good but after Müller and Cacau came in with the begin of the second half our game got much better.

But we still needed 2 penalties to put Bosnia away. And in all fairness the ref should have called 4 penalties for us and a red card for Bosnia. But once again an Italian ref.

Not that I want to say that there was something shady but Bosnia is known for giving away games. And 4 chances to call a penalty is a whole damn lot especially in just one half in in that short time span.

dw13
06-03-2010, 04:29 PM
"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Rafa's final words. I just can't get over this. Going to miss him so much.

phaneuf6
06-03-2010, 04:49 PM
"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Rafa's final words. I just can't get over this. Going to miss him so much.

Hop off. Liverpool sucks.

dw13
06-03-2010, 04:54 PM
Hop off. Liverpool sucks.

Best club in the world, regardless of what these clowns are trying to do. 18 League titles, 7 FA Cups, 3 UEFA cups, 5 European titles.

Liverpool will be back. :)

Zangetsu
06-03-2010, 05:00 PM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gfftTsTGPzSCOZfo7IL7mkaIz3_AD9G3V71O3

Jozy Altidore has a mild ankle sprain.

dw13
06-03-2010, 05:09 PM
USA needs him more then anything. Get healthy quick, Jozy.

moans
06-04-2010, 10:00 AM
Drogba out for the world cup. Ivory coast has ZERO chance now.
http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=ap-wcup-ivorycoast-drogba

dw13
06-04-2010, 10:03 AM
I really really dislike Drogba, but he's a talent. Big blow for the Ivory Coast. They still have a chance to progress out of the group, but after that I don't like their chances without him.

Rio Ferdinand is out for England as well. Probably a good thing for England. Rio is such an overrated player.

Gerrard is now the captain, I think.

moans
06-04-2010, 10:10 AM
I really really dislike Drogba, but he's a talent. Big blow for the Ivory Coast. They still have a chance to progress out of the group, but after that I don't like their chances without him.

Rio Ferdinand is out for England as well. Probably a good thing for England. Rio is such an overrated player.

Gerrard is now the captain, I think.

Was that announced after the roster cuts? Any idea who they might replace Ferdinand with?

dw13
06-04-2010, 10:20 AM
Was that announced after the roster cuts? Any idea who they might replace Ferdinand with?

Michael Dawson would be replacing him if this is all true, I think he was on stand-by.

dw13
06-05-2010, 10:21 AM
USA's final tuneup went well. Played very good at times, and other times looked bad.

The defense is still just a bad issue to me, and Bradley will continue to get it all wrong, as well as the central midfield he picks, too.

Just hope we can preform, because I know we won't outcoach anyone.

dw13
06-05-2010, 11:28 AM
Sucker, it's rumored that Van Gaal might be one of the favorites for the Liverpool opening. Any chance you see him leaving Bayern given the chance to coach Liverpool?

suckerpuncher
06-05-2010, 04:43 PM
I doubt it.
He said some time ago he'd leave Bayern if he wins the treble but even before the UCL final he said he'd stay no matter what.
He still has a contract until the end of next season but Hoeneß and co. are already working on a new deal.

I think he knows Bayern is a very special club and he won't find a surrounding like that anywhere else.
Same goes for Robben and ribery.
The club is more like a big family and everyone cares for each other. Players, coaching staff and management. They are all very loyal.

Eriksson is lobbying himself into consideration.
But maybe Liverpool should give a fresh face a chance.
Barca had success with Guardiola.
Bayern not so much with Klinsmann but then again he isn't really a coach but rather a motivator which makes it hard for him to work with established stars.

dw13
06-05-2010, 04:51 PM
I doubt it.
He said some time ago he'd leave Bayern if he wins the treble but even before the UCL final he said he'd stay no matter what.
He still has a contract until the end of next season but Hoeneß and co. are already working on a new deal.

I think he knows Bayern is a very special club and he won't find a surrounding like that anywhere else.
Same goes for Robben and ribery.
The club is more like a big family and everyone cares for each other. Players, coaching staff and management. They are all very loyal.

Eriksson is lobbying himself into consideration.
But maybe Liverpool should give a fresh face a chance.
Barca had success with Guardiola.
Bayern not so much with Klinsmann but then again he isn't really a coach but rather a motivator which makes it hard for him to work with established stars.

I didn't think Van Gaal would be leaving, just heard some rumors around his name and figured who better to ask then a Bayern supporter. (Although you described how Liverpool is. Family, loyalty and tradition, even if our owners are trying to kill that)

As far as a new name, I'd go for Phil Thompson. For the past 12-24 months he has told the press to f*ck off when they talk about Rafa and Liverpool. He's a Liverpool legend, and he had a short stint when Houiller was sick.

Eriksson is a quality coach, but I think more then that comes with the Liverpool job. I don't like him personally, I don't think many fans do but as far as a manager, he's a good one so I would support him.

If we are looking for someone to work longer then a year right now, Hodgson has to be the favorite. I'd support him.

If we are going to hold out until new owners come in, King Kenny could coach this coming year and if he feels right he could continue or step down.

All in all, I think I've settled on wanting Thomo to take the job.

MTR
06-08-2010, 11:45 AM
I am so ready for the World Cup. I don't have cable so I will have to depend on watching games on ABC and watching streams of games though.

That being said I am going to miss the England vs US game. :( Out of town this weekend and I don't think I will be in my hotel room during the game.

Winger72
06-08-2010, 08:33 PM
I am so ready for the World Cup. I don't have cable so I will have to depend on watching games on ABC and watching streams of games though.

I'm not sure how it works, but I think you can watch games on ESPN3.COM.

dw13
06-09-2010, 10:39 PM
One more day!!

phaneuf6
06-10-2010, 10:46 AM
Can't fucking wait.

dw13
06-10-2010, 08:48 PM
I can't wait to wake up in the morning, watch the opening events and then the first game!!! ahhhh!!!

First upset tomorrow, too by the way. Calling it now. Uruguay over France.

two24four
06-10-2010, 10:41 PM
I'm picking Canada to win it all....oh wait.

I dont follow soccer at all, (I could maybe name you three players) but if there is nothing else on, I may watch abit of this.

dw13
06-11-2010, 10:19 AM
What a goal to get it started!!!!

Chilly_Willy
06-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Looks like you can go to
http://espn.go.com/espn3/player?size=condensed#

Once the commercials end:rolleyes::rolleyes: you can cycle through the games below the video and click to link out to the world cup games. There was no active game when I tried.

Chilly_Willy
06-11-2010, 01:16 PM
I'm sorry but Soccer goal celebrations are so silly. I almost never want to see soccer again after that South Africa goal. I'll forgive them given its the host team, but still.

dw13
06-11-2010, 01:44 PM
I'm sorry but Soccer goal celebrations are so silly. I almost never want to see soccer again after that South Africa goal. I'll forgive them given its the host team, but still.

Easy solution to that.

Don't watch it.

I can't stand hearing anyone knock the sport, especially right now during this event.

suckerpuncher
06-11-2010, 02:07 PM
Easy solution to that.

Don't watch it.

I can't stand hearing anyone knock the sport, especially right now during this event.
Absoluty. :beer:

And goal celebrations are part of the game. Both teams do it and nobody complains.

And you have to understand what that goal really means.
The first goal of the first World Cup on African soil scored by a player of the host nation who 20 years ago wouldn't even been allowed inside the stadium.
That goal isn't just a simple goal it has a whole different dimension to it.

suckerpuncher
06-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Pretty bad game especially by France.
Wasn't it ironic that Henry wanted a penalty because of a hand ball (which was no penalty).

At least financially it was an excellent day. Had Uruguay +0.5 and South Africa/Mexico straight up draw.:D

dw13
06-11-2010, 03:46 PM
Pretty bad game especially by France.
Wasn't it ironic that Henry wanted a penalty because of a hand ball (which was no penalty).

At least financially it was an excellent day. Had Uruguay +0.5 and South Africa/Mexico straight up draw.:D

I had a rough one. Took the over 2.5 Uruguay/France, and Mexico winning.

suckerpuncher
06-11-2010, 03:50 PM
For tomorrow I have:
Greece/South Korea under 2.5
Argentina -1.5
England -1

dw13
06-11-2010, 03:52 PM
For tomorrow I have:
Argentina -1.5
England -1

I only have the Greece/SK under 2.5 right now, haven't looked at anymore. I'm sure I will put some more in later, Ill update.

Snipes16
06-11-2010, 06:07 PM
For tomorrow I have:
Argentina -1.5
England -1

The U.S at +1 looks like a good risk/reward play as long as they dont lose by 2

Same with England I suppose...why no hook?

Snipes16
06-11-2010, 06:46 PM
actually that line of England -1 does make sense without the hook because if you want equal money bet on both sides then thats probably the way to go because most believe England beats the U.S by 1 tomorrow.

if they set the line England - 0.5 then the money pours in on England. if they go England - 1.5 then it pours in on the U.S...either way you go its a pretty low risk wager because of the push factor.

suckerpuncher
06-12-2010, 02:52 AM
I only took -1 because England is normally a slow starter when it comes to World Cups.
I fully expect them to win but if they only win by 1 goal I get at least my money back.

dw13
06-12-2010, 06:16 AM
Nervous.

suckerpuncher
06-12-2010, 06:49 AM
Nervous.
Didn't know you're that big of a South Korea fan. :lol:

dw13
06-12-2010, 08:27 AM
Didn't know you're that big of a South Korea fan. :lol:

Relief now :lol:

No, really, still nervous! :p

dw13
06-12-2010, 09:07 AM
Argentina goes 1-up early. This game is going to be full of goals, just have that feeling.

Love watching Messi, but I even more love watching Mascherano.

phaneuf6
06-12-2010, 09:18 AM
Brilliant goal by Argentina. Messi is a treat to watch.

I don't know who I want to lose more today, England or the US...hmm.

dw13
06-12-2010, 09:24 AM
Brilliant goal by Argentina. Messi is a treat to watch.

I don't know who I want to lose more today, England or the US...hmm.

Both defenses here have been poor thus far, I'm waiting for some more goals in this one.

Oh, and you're a hater :lol:

suckerpuncher
06-12-2010, 09:53 AM
Looks like the early goal was the worst case scenario. Argentina pretty much stopped playing since they feel like Nigeria can't harm them.
I just hope Argentia picks it up again in the second half and scores a couple more goals.

dw13
06-12-2010, 09:56 AM
Looks like the early goal was the worst case scenario. Argentina pretty much stopped playing since they feel like Nigeria can't harm them.
I just hope Argentia picks it up again in the second half and scores a couple more goals.

Higuain missed two clear chances, and their keeper has been immense. I like a couple more goals to be scored. I wouldn't be surprised to see Aguero next match, over Higuain.

Di Maria has been invisible.

suckerpuncher
06-12-2010, 10:01 AM
I know Argentina had some more chance but still the pace of the game is very slow AFTER the first goal. If Argentina would have kept the pace high they would be up by at least 3+ goals already.

dw13
06-12-2010, 10:06 AM
I know Argentina had some more chance but still the pace of the game is very slow AFTER the first goal. If Argentina would have kept the pace high they would be up by at least 3+ goals already.

I agree, also for some reason Argentina has Jonas playing right back (good winger) and most of Nigeria's chances have come from that side. I think any other team would of exposed them for a goal already. I don't understand that selection for Argentina.

Still a chance for some goals here in the second 45, especially if like you said if Argentina gets back to playing quicker.

suckerpuncher
06-12-2010, 02:12 PM
Wow. English goaltending at it's "best". :lol:

dw13
06-12-2010, 03:25 PM
No complaints. Got a lucky goal, but we were deserving of atleast the draw, maybe the win.

Group is still wide open now. First place there for the taking.

phaneuf6
06-12-2010, 03:37 PM
FUCK. I fell asleep before the game and woke up in the 85th. Fuck!

dw13
06-12-2010, 03:41 PM
FUCK. I fell asleep before the game and woke up in the 85th. Fuck!

:lol::lol:

CayugaPosse
06-12-2010, 05:59 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-erskine-20100611,0,1973930.column

Can someone tell me why newspapers are dying out with high quality journalism like that?

This might not be the right place for this little rant, but this is something that bugs the shit out of me ever since I started school for this stuff. It amazes me that newspapers haven't realized the number one problem with their stuff. Nevermind the logistics of newspapers, nevermind all the other stuff that has been dissected a thousand times....does it never occur to anyone in the business that the reason newspapers are dying is because they're all employing pig-headed egotistical toolbags the world over who write and spew absolute bullshit drivel like that? The reason blogs kick your ass nowadays is because while you're providing an escape for a tool to write an entire article that provides not one shred of fact or insight just to appease his own ego, while successful blogs(for the most part) are written by at least moderately enlightened younger people who want to write facts.

That type of nonsense is what's destroying newspapers.

phaneuf6
06-12-2010, 06:05 PM

Can someone tell me why newspapers are dying out with high quality journalism like that?

This might not be the right place for this little rant, but this is something that bugs the shit out of me ever since I started school for this stuff. It amazes me that newspapers haven't realized the number one problem with their stuff. Nevermind the logistics of newspapers, nevermind all the other stuff that has been dissected a thousand times....does it never occur to anyone in the business that the reason newspapers are dying is because they're all employing pig-headed egotistical toolbags the world over who write and spew absolute bullshit drivel like that? The reason blogs kick your ass nowadays is because while you're providing an escape for a tool to write an entire article that provides not one shred of fact or insight just to appease his own ego, while successful blogs(for the most part) are written by at least moderately enlightened younger people who want to write facts.

I stopped reading after the first few paragraphs. What a tool.

CayugaPosse
06-12-2010, 06:08 PM
I stopped reading after the first few paragraphs. What a tool.

It gets worse as it goes too, that's the scary part.

ih8music
06-13-2010, 12:04 AM

Sure that column is BS, but I don't think stuff like that has anything to do with the decline of newspapers. Erskine is a sports/lifestyle columnist who tries (and usually fails, imo) to be funny & sarcastic. Every newspaper has at least one & they've always had them.

Newspapers are failing because people think they can get just as good or better news from the internet for free... but that's a topic for another thread.

Cornholio
06-13-2010, 07:46 AM
My top 3 occasions after the frist 2 days:
- the south african goal
- the us goal :D
- the nigerian goalie, awesome against Messi and his guys

dw13
06-13-2010, 08:22 AM
Algeria has the worst keeper in the tournament.

Cost me money, and my prediction.

Get lost.

suckerpuncher
06-13-2010, 08:33 AM
Algeria has the worst keeper in the tournament.

Cost me money, and my prediction.

Get lost.
First of all Green is way worse. Period.

And thanks to the goal I made some cash. :p

phaneuf6
06-13-2010, 09:00 AM
Slovenia! My two teams for the tournament are the Slovene's and Dutch so I'm happy this morning. A win is a win, and it doesn't matter how you do it. You just have to win the right games in this tournament to do well.

Can't believe I'll be missing the Germany-Australia game this afternoon.. it could be a beauty.

suckerpuncher
06-13-2010, 09:34 AM
Some good news.
FIFA considers banning those bloody Vuvuzelas.
That sound gets really annoying and you can't hear the real chants by the fans. They should ban them immediatly.

dw13
06-13-2010, 10:44 AM
Gift for Ghana, although they have been the better side.

Looks like another prediction wrong. Been a tough one to start.

suckerpuncher
06-13-2010, 10:48 AM
Not really a gift.
Of course it was unintentional but still his hand had no business up that high in the air so it's an "unnatural" move and therefore a penalty.
Tough call but the right one.

So far I'm not really impressed with the level and pace of the games so far. I actually expected more.
But then again the real favorites haven't played yet so maybe Spain and Brazil will show something more.

dw13
06-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Not really a gift.
Of course it was unintentional but still his hand had no business up that high in the air so it's an "unnatural" move and therefore a penalty.
Tough call but the right one.

So far I'm not really impressed with the level and pace of the games so far. I actually expected more.
But then again the real favorites haven't played yet so maybe Spain and Brazil will show something more.

Not a gift from the ref, a gift from Serbia. What's his hand doing there? No explanation needed, gift from the player. The right call indeed.

The games have been really tentative, looks like no one wants to lose and drop all 3 points. Hopefully when the big boys (Starting with your Germany in a couple hours) come out they will look to win, and win in some fashion.

Enjoy your game!

phaneuf6
06-13-2010, 11:11 AM
What an idiot, no reason to have your hands up in the hair like you're at some trashy Serbian night club.

Another prediction down the toilet with that late goal..I suck at this.

dw13
06-13-2010, 02:09 PM
Must be the youth to this German side, but they have a bunch more flair to them then usual. They look very, very good. You must be enjoying it, Sucker.

Let the bidding begin on Mesut Ozil?

suckerpuncher
06-13-2010, 02:25 PM
We have the youngest squad we ever had. And 6 of the players won the U21 EURO.

Özil gives the team some long needed creativity and also Müller helps with his unconventional style.
The great vision by Özil an the excellent pass by Müller scored the first goal.

Now Özil just needs to stop wasting his scoring chances and start scoring goals.

So far I'm pleasently surprised by the way our team plays. Now we just need to keep it up. But if even Klose scores again there can't go much wrong. :lol:
Btw. he now needs only 4 more goals to tie Ronaldo with 15 goals for most World Cup goals all-time.

dw13
06-13-2010, 02:28 PM
Klose and Podolski, shit for their club, World class for Germany :lol:

Ozil has scuffed at some chances to score, but his creativity is really making Germany go if you ask me. He looks awesome. I really like it.

You are right, Mueller is a different type of player as well, combined with Ozil and Germany looks a brand new team then years past. I'm enjoying watching their performance.

Let see two more in the second half.

dw13
06-13-2010, 02:44 PM
Should of been yellow, but I love seeing the bluenose Cahill get sent off.

suckerpuncher
06-13-2010, 02:44 PM
Too bad for Cahill.
That was not a red card. The pulled back and hardly hit Schweinsteiger. The ref is an idiot. He already showed a bunch of yellow cards which were iffy at best.

dw13
06-13-2010, 02:57 PM
Ozil is a star.

suckerpuncher
06-13-2010, 03:14 PM
And Lahm and Schweinsteiger played very good, too. In fact the whole team did.
And nice to have a guy like Marin coming in from the bench. He's just excellent in 1on1 situations.

After seeing half of the teams play I have to say our team impressed the most so far. Even though I'm probably biased.

dw13
06-13-2010, 03:15 PM
And Lahm and Schweinsteiger played very good, too. In fact the whole team did.
And nice to have a guy like Marin coming in from the bench. He's just excellent in 1on1 situations.

After seeing half of the teams play I have to say our team impressed the most so far. Even though I'm probably biased.

It's not even close. Germany has looked the best of all the teams thus far. Brazil and Spain still to follow, but it's hard to best what Germany just did.

The whole team played well, but I had seen most of them before but I had not seen much of Ozil, just read about him (think I asked you about him a couple months ago, too).

It was easy on the eyes, that's for sure.

suckerpuncher
06-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Özil really benefited today from having both Schweinsteiger and Khedira behind him and the fact that Australia was harmless so he could concentrate almost solely on offense.
But an excellent game nonetheless.

Now you know why he hasn't signed a contract extension in Bremen yet. He's hoping to get a really big deal somewhere else in Europe and it looks like he has a point. And while he's still under contract Bremen can get a big payday too after the World Cup.

nyrblue2
06-13-2010, 03:55 PM
Serious question - do they actually teach you how/when to dive and draw calls when you're learning to play?

dw13
06-13-2010, 04:08 PM
Özil really benefited today from having both Schweinsteiger and Khedira behind him and the fact that Australia was harmless so he could concentrate almost solely on offense.
But an excellent game nonetheless.

Now you know why he hasn't signed a contract extension in Bremen yet. He's hoping to get a really big deal somewhere else in Europe and it looks like he has a point. And while he's still under contract Bremen can get a big payday too after the World Cup.

Good point. He was in a really free role today and flourished.

I'd say he has alot of eyes on him, he looks the part of a big time player. As much as I hate United, he's the type of player they need right now.

Serious question - do they actually teach you how/when to dive and draw calls when you're learning to play?

No.

suckerpuncher
06-13-2010, 04:16 PM
Not really. You're born with this talent and you also have an real good instinct for it.
And then again when you play in club since age 6 you have enough time to get the timing down perfectly and know how to sell it really good. :lol:

Cornholio
06-13-2010, 04:47 PM
DOMINATION :cool:

It's not even close. Germany has looked the best of all the teams thus far. Brazil and Spain still to follow, but it's hard to best what Germany just did.

Great game, indeed, I'm looking forward to see the Netherlands play tomorrow night.

And as Suckerpuncher said, if even Klse scores, it must have been really easy! :lol:

But I agree, the red card was in no way justified! Yellow maybe, but no way red!!!

Cacau's goal was huge IMO!!!
World class passing from Badstuber and Özil!

Speaking of Özil, he played great, but again I have to agree with my "teammate", he had two 100% scoring chances!!! He HAS TO score on them.

By the way, what was Mario Gomez doing there??? I mean, I don't see him earning the spot to get substituted in (?), he stumbled across the field all the time... :rolleyes:

suckerpuncher
06-14-2010, 07:25 AM
Very unimpressed by the Dutch. Not sure if it's only because Robben is missing or if they once again fall short of expectations as always.
For now I miss some movement by players without he ball. There's nobody running to create some space. Wouldn't be surprised if Denmark wins by cashing in on one of their dangerous counters.

And as far as Gomez goes I still think Bayern only bought him to weaken Stuttgart. But I'm also don't know why he's on our team after a bad season. But then again with all those injured guys maybe Löw needs one to come off the bench and DOESN'T score.:lol:

suckerpuncher
06-14-2010, 07:34 AM
Of course, another funny goal. :rolleyes:

Btw. I just read ABC had about 13 mio. viewers watching USA vs. England. Looks really good given the fact that soccer isn't that popular in the States and it was an afternoon game for you.

dw13
06-14-2010, 08:21 AM
Yeah. Not convincing from the Netherlands today. Not impressed.

Bendtner - the king of scuffing at clear chances.

Chilly_Willy
06-14-2010, 10:34 AM
Easy solution to that.

Don't watch it.

I'm executing your suggestion pretty well :lol:

Seriously didn't mean to knock the sport, my bad

dw13
06-14-2010, 10:36 AM
I'm executing your suggestion pretty well :lol:

Seriously didn't mean to knock the sport, my bad

I didn't mean to sound rude, but whenever the World Cup rolls around people in the States always have something negative to say about the sport and that's always my answer to them.

:beer:

phaneuf6
06-14-2010, 10:46 AM
The Netherlands take home their first win. Heard it wasn't a great game, but of course I'm at work and can't watch...such a piss off. Taking Friday off just to watch the games. Hopefully Robben can come back for the next game and settle things down..I hear the middle was a bit suffocated for Holland.

dw13
06-14-2010, 10:58 AM
The Netherlands take home their first win. Heard it wasn't a great game, but of course I'm at work and can't watch...such a piss off. Taking Friday off just to watch the games. Hopefully Robben can come back for the next game and settle things down..I hear the middle was a bit suffocated for Holland.

VDV and Kuyt are not wingers. They clog the middle and force the play narrow. When Elia came in for VDV, he provided some real natural width for Sneidjer to get on the ball easier.

Well done to Japan.

suckerpuncher
06-14-2010, 12:34 PM
VDV and Kuyt are not wingers. They clog the middle and force the play narrow. When Elias came in for VDV, he provided some real natural width for Sneidjer to get on the ball easier.

Elias was the only spark in the game.

Well done to Japan.
What a butt ugly game. Nonody deserved to win this one. None of those 2 deserved to be at the WC. Period.

dw13
06-14-2010, 12:40 PM
Completely agree. Elia was the main reason behind the 2nd half. I still think with Robben on the field, they can use VDV on the left because Robben will play more wide. I really like VDV, but that's just me.

Kuyt bugs me on the right. He bothers me on the right with Liverpool, and with the Dutch.

Yeah, the Japan/Cameroon game was mighty ugly. The ref didn't help, it was really stop/start. But neither team impressed at the least.

phaneuf6
06-14-2010, 01:46 PM
2 massive dives in the first 10 minutes by the Italians...

dw13
06-14-2010, 01:54 PM
2 massive dives in the first 10 minutes by the Italians...

It's the Italians, it's in their blood.

Cannot stand them to be honest. Really pulling for Paraguay here.

dw13
06-14-2010, 02:09 PM
Get in there Paraguay! 1-0.

phaneuf6
06-14-2010, 02:11 PM
I fucking hate the Italians. Ask any non-Italian in Toronto and I bet they'll say the same thing. It seems anyone who's eaten pasta is all of a sudden Italian every 4 years around this time, its fucking ridiculous.

I hope for nothing more than to see Italy beaten and not advance to the top 16. C'mon you boys in red!

suckerpuncher
06-14-2010, 02:17 PM
My guess is nobody likes the Italians. Me neither. Probably not even the Italians love the Italians.:D

Now that they are down and play pretty bad they also start discussing and ranting. Business as usual.:rolleyes:

Cornholio
06-14-2010, 02:31 PM
GO PARAGUAY !!! :cool:

dw13
06-14-2010, 02:32 PM
Buffon hurt and substituted at half.

phaneuf6
06-14-2010, 03:29 PM
Shocking goalkeeping on the Italian goal. Good draw all the same I suppose.

eff1ngham
06-14-2010, 04:40 PM
Would you really expect anything less from The Onion:

http://www.theonion.com/video/soccer-officially-announces-it-is-gay,17603/

b_illin
06-14-2010, 06:46 PM
I can't deal with those bloody vuvuzelas. What's the fucking point of blowing a fucking horn non-stop for the entire match? How is that cheering/postitive?? I have to turn the channel at times...it's so annoying.

dw13
06-14-2010, 06:51 PM
I can't deal with those bloody vuvuzelas. What's the fucking point of blowing a fucking horn non-stop for the entire match? How is that cheering/postitive?? I have to turn the channel at times...it's so annoying.

I got to hear them last summer when they were in South Africa for the Confederations Cup, they didn't really bother me then I think it's a cool part of their culture down there.

I can see how it can bother someone, especially people who aren't huge into Soccer (not saying you are not) but I hope they don't ban them... even though I'm problem in the minority on that.

I barely even hear them now when I watch to be honest.

two24four
06-14-2010, 07:18 PM
This is not a soccer town, but a few places have got into it, Boston Pizza I saw today has every teams flag up outside who is in the World Cup, + a Canada flag, they where not there the other day.

Saw the 1st car flag around town today as well, Sucker will like this, it was a German flag, I'm sure there are more around.

phaneuf6
06-14-2010, 07:30 PM
Loads of flags out here in Mississauga. We should get those horns in the ACC in Toronto..might bring some life and noise into the building for once.

b_illin
06-14-2010, 08:35 PM
I got to hear them last summer when they were in South Africa for the Confederations Cup, they didn't really bother me then I think it's a cool part of their culture down there.

I can see how it can bother someone, especially people who aren't huge into Soccer (not saying you are not) but I hope they don't ban them... even though I'm problem in the minority on that.

I barely even hear them now when I watch to be honest.

My issue is that it makes my head spin hearing them....I can't deal with the buzzing. (I could give a fuck about the cultural aspect either way)

Loads of flags out here in Mississauga. We should get those horns in the ACC in Toronto..might bring some life and noise into the building for once.

I like the horns they used to sell at Argos game....they gave off a deeper, heavier noise. The SA ones may sound cool in person but they sound horrible on TV

Snipes16
06-14-2010, 09:42 PM
My family tree going back many moon's comes from 3 major countries...England, France and Germany. I'm not a fan of any of those countries so when looking for a team to root for other than the U.S in this WC I've stumbled upon Portugal. Yes they are in a tough group with the Brazilien's to start things off but they should get by the Ivory Coast tomorrow (they better) and N. Korea to advance.

I put a couple potatoes on them at 20-1 to win which was probably a donation but if Cristiano could step it up they could make some noise later on.

The Greeks on the other hand looked atrocious the other day vs S.Korea...unforced turnovers everywhere, corner kicks going out of bounds on the other side of the field and that 2nd goal by S.Korea was arguably as bad as Green's gaff from a defender's point of view...they suck.

pjm
06-14-2010, 11:10 PM
My family roots going back to grandmas and grandpas are 50/50 Dutch and English. I've chosen the Dutch.

Won't pretend like i know much about the intricacies of the sport but I do enjoy watching the games. Lets gooooooo Nederlands!

suckerpuncher
06-15-2010, 03:24 AM
Lets gooooooo Nederlands!
You're dead to me now. :lol::lol::lol:

dw13
06-15-2010, 08:08 AM
Ivory Coast / Portugal should be a cracker.

b_illin
06-15-2010, 10:43 AM
Portugal??? Ew!

My background is mostly British/Scottish, but I am cheering for Spain myself...I support England as well but they always disappoint so I came prepared!

PS: I also like Argentina because of Messi....and I'd love to see Diego run around naked!

dw13
06-15-2010, 10:50 AM
Portugal??? Ew!

My background is mostly British/Scottish, but I am cheering for Spain myself...I support England as well but they always disappoint so I came prepared!

PS: I also like Argentina because of Messi....and I'd love to see Diego run around naked!

So you're supporting Spain, England and Argentina? :lol::beer:

The football in this first round has been absolutely poor. No one but the Germans, and at times Argentina have impressed.

Portual/Ivory Coast end 0-0.

Maybe Brazil will show some flare and thrash those North Koreans.

suckerpuncher
06-15-2010, 12:48 PM
Another bunch of awfully played games so far.

I would suggest the following to the FIFA:
If by the end of the opening matches (tomorrow Spain - Switzerland) not at least one team shows a good performances the FIFA should cancel out the rest of the World Cup and declare us (Germany) World Cup champ 2010 by default.

Can't remaber having seen so many horribles matches during a single World Cup let alone so that in the opening round.

dw13
06-15-2010, 03:19 PM
A big well done to North Korea.

Another whole day of absolutely horrible soccer.

Hopefully the second round of games get much better when teams really need to go after 3 points.

Cornholio
06-15-2010, 03:36 PM
I would suggest the following to the FIFA:
If by the end of the opening matches (tomorrow Spain - Switzerland) not at least one team shows a good performances the FIFA should cancel out the rest of the World Cup and declare us (Germany) World Cup champ 2010 by default.
Where can I sign that??? :cool:

Well, at least the Brazilians played pretty well in the 2nd half...

dw13
06-15-2010, 03:57 PM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5288995/ce/us/slovenia-andrej-komac-guarantees-victory-vs-united-states?cc=5901&ver=us

Slovenia's Komac guarantees victory over USA.

b_illin
06-15-2010, 04:28 PM
Good job by the commies from North Korea. I was very impressed by the level of sportsmanship by both squads. (that 1st Brasil goal was awesome!)

phaneuf6
06-15-2010, 05:28 PM
This is garbage football.

dw13
06-15-2010, 05:57 PM
This is garbage football.

An understatement, but I completely agree. Horrible stuff so far. Everyone is way too tentative, not wanting to lose.

suckerpuncher
06-16-2010, 07:47 AM
What a bad ref.
Always to far away from the ball and subsequently missing clear cut fouls but also caliing things which aren't fouls.

FIFA should start taking the best refs and even if that means there's more than one ref from each country instead of gathering some refs from all over the world which arent used to higher paced games.

suckerpuncher
06-16-2010, 10:53 AM
There we have the first big upset of the World Cup.
Switzerland beats one of the top favorites Spain.

dw13
06-16-2010, 12:16 PM
There we have the first big upset of the World Cup.
Switzerland beats one of the top favorites Spain.

What a stunner. Inler and Fernandes really clogged up Xavi's play, and it hurt Spain. They need 2 strikers, be-it Torres and Villa, or Llorrente and Villa... but they need 2 up top.

The way Chile played earlier, it'll be an uphill battle for Spain to get through to the KO stage.

Chilly_Willy
06-16-2010, 12:57 PM
I don't know much about football but I do know the swiss should not have beat spain lol. Congrats to the swiss

MTR
06-16-2010, 01:34 PM
Congrats to the Swiss. That second half was exciting.

phaneuf6
06-16-2010, 01:58 PM
What a goal by Forlan.

dw13
06-16-2010, 02:01 PM
What a goal by Forlan.

Can't stand the guy, but good goal.

phaneuf6
06-16-2010, 02:07 PM
What a goal by Forlan.

Can't stand the guy, but good goal.

Looks like it took a small deflection, but still a good strike I suppose. Keeper looked stunned.

dw13
06-16-2010, 02:11 PM
Looks like it took a small deflection, but still a good strike I suppose. Keeper looked stunned.

Still hate him. :lol:

suckerpuncher
06-16-2010, 03:43 PM
Solid game by Uruguay. But South Africa was pretty disappointing. Looks like for the first time the host nation will not survive the first round.

The first goal was deflected but the keeper didn't looked sharp today and then his foul and red card broke South Africas neck. Not that they would have had a chance today anyway.

Motorcat
06-17-2010, 09:21 AM
"Thirty-six female Holland fans were thrown out of their country's game against Denmark at Soccer City after Fifa officials accused them of wearing orange mini-dresses to promote an unlicensed beer brand.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/foot...ng-fifa-dresses

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2010/6/15/1276621686286/women-in-orange-dresses-a-006.jpg

---------- fifa just ruined any chance of me taking in a soccer game.

Until I saw this my interest had been non existent.

Cornholio
06-17-2010, 11:35 AM
Great game by Argentina, 4-1 against South Korea. 3 goals by Higuain!

And I had the chance to leave work about an hour early so I watched almost the whole game Greece against Nigeria, and it was a great game!
Nigeria took the lead after about 15 minutes, but the were down a man after one of their players was thrown out after an assault (kicking an opponent when the ball wasn't in play), straight red card!
The Greeks scored in the last minute of the 1st half, and it was a great game all the way through the 2nd half.
The Greek attacking, and they did score a goal, but the Nigerians also had some chances through speedy counterattacks.
Entertaining game to watch after all, didn't really expect that. :)
Oh, and Greece won 2-1

two24four
06-17-2010, 12:35 PM
With the Greece win today, dont go near the Danforth in Toronto, it's a party, nobody is working down there today, they have the Fan590 down there right now, sounds like people are going crazy.

b_illin
06-17-2010, 12:54 PM
Sucker, 'suspect 5' is for you :D

JOHANNESBURG — This morning at the Soccer City stadium, they gave up any pretense of a security cordon and abandoned their metal detectors altogether.
A mushrooming dispute between security contractors over wages enveloped this facility as well, meaning that police took over the door-minding duties. Few doors were actually minded, but the McCafe just inside the door was doing brisker business than usual.
Based on that performance, maybe South Africa doesn’t really have a crime problem. Maybe it has a lollygagging problem.
Or maybe the dedicated cops were out canvassing the countryside for goals.
Between naps in front of the TV, you may have noticed that there isn’t much to notice at the World Cup yet. Yes, we’ve noticed that, too.
The only people who seem really worked up are the North Korean fans, and they’re paid Chinese actors impersonating North Koreans. Minus the starvation-related jaundice.
It came to me as I sat through Netherlands’ dour effort against Denmark, with a corpulent, soap-dodging Finn spilling into my lap as he searched again – and again – and again – for something that wasn’t in this pocket or that pocket … it came to me that I was owed some excitement.
Then the wave worked its way round to our end of the stadium. The Finn giddily rose from his seat, jiggling and releasing enchanting new smells, and I thought, ‘A little less excitement, please.’
Goals and open play has been hard to come by – though the tap seemed to open slightly on Thursday.
The other, largely unwashed philosophers of the game are probing their notes looking for a cause to the thrills crisis. It’s been the logical equivalent of flapping your hands and hoping you fly.
Suspect one: Fitness
Unlike their hard-drinking, chain-smoking predecessors, this generation of footballers has selfishly committed itself to jogging. Ipso, they never get tired. Facto, they don’t lie down in the last ten minutes in front of goal for a spread-eagle breather, allowing the other team to score.
This is a little like blaming our lack of recent moon landings on the fact that scientists are now too smart.
The most exciting thing that’s happened so far is Robert Green’s life-destroying error in the English net. If Green spent less time in the gym, and more time holding babies and handling easily bruised fruit, where would we be?
Asleep.
Suspect two: Tactics
Teams are thinking too hard instead of using their superhuman endurance powers to run endlessly in frantic circles. It’s almost as if they don’t want to lose!
“They did not even go past their halfway line,” Italian manager Marcello Lippi grumbled about Paraguay. Then he said, “Alright. Who put the mirror here?”
Suspect three: The vuvuzelas
Yes, of course, those wretched horns. They also killed Kennedy.
Suspect four: The ball
Actually, I know a guy who knows a guy. It wasn’t the horns. It was the ball that killed Kennedy and then framed the horns.
“It is the worst ball I’ve ever seen,” said England manager Fabio Capello. Then the ball promised to try harder, and Capello decided he’d stick with it for one more game.
Suspect four: The altitude
Who knew that altitude was the most important factor in all our lives? It makes balls go up and down. It affects your reflexes. It makes you tired. It lives in your basement and refuses to pay rent.
“Boss, can’t make it work today.”
“Be honest, you’re skipping out to watch the game.”
“What?! No!! It’s the altitude.”
“The altitude.”
“I have blood bubbles.”
“We live at sea level.”
“I added a floor to my house.”
Suspect five: The talent level
Hurry! Hurry! Everyone pile on New Zealand.
There is a beautiful moment at the beginning of any scrum for wait-list media tickets when all the Bolivians, Croatians and Egyptians grit their teeth while the New Zealanders, who represent a participant here, get first pick.
That sort of bitterness will always find its way into print.
Suspect five: The Germans
No, it doesn’t make any sense. But they’re Germans. They get blamed for everything.

Cornholio
06-17-2010, 01:13 PM
Five is mentioned twice...
May I feel "guilty" as well? ;)

suckerpuncher
06-17-2010, 01:49 PM
Yeah, of course. Blame it on us. We're used to it.
Even though we didn't hurt anybody lately. Except Australia, of cousre. :D

Finally some action in the games today. Argentina scoring 2 and a half goals after set pieces. The half one was goal #3 which came after a foul at their own end and a quick counter afterwards.
So after 2 games they only scored once without the help of a set piece. Interesting and easy to defend when you don't play as stupid as South Korea did today.

And Nigeria just killed themself with that stupid red card. Without that I seriously doubt that Greece would have won or even got a draw.

But at least some scoring and some interesting matches. Looks like the World Cup really started now.

dw13
06-17-2010, 03:05 PM
Hopefully this is the end of the French. Domenech is a moron.

suckerpuncher
06-17-2010, 03:09 PM
Wow, France is even worse than expected. And they weren't expected to be good to begin with.

dw13
06-17-2010, 03:11 PM
The Irish Rejoice!! :D

suckerpuncher
06-17-2010, 03:15 PM
At least the Irish would have put up a fight instead of surrendering early on.

Cornholio
06-17-2010, 03:31 PM
Adieus les Bleus :evilgrin:

Viva Mexico :cool:

phaneuf6
06-17-2010, 03:50 PM
Shay Given could've told you France shouldn't be in this tournament.

dw13
06-17-2010, 03:58 PM
Serbia vs. Germany in the morning, then the USA game.

Two belters of games!!

phaneuf6
06-17-2010, 04:06 PM
Took work off tomorrow to watch the solid line up of games. Lets hope for some good football!

b_illin
06-17-2010, 04:40 PM
Five is mentioned twice...
May I feel "guilty" as well? ;)

Oh, you're German as well...by all means, feel the 'guilt'! :D

Seriously...karma's a fucking bitch!

phaneuf6
06-17-2010, 04:44 PM
Some bad news relating to the WC.

Bizarre, tragic, awful story stemming from the World Cup: according to police, 61-year-old David Makoeya was beaten to death (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5297052/ce/us/south-african-man-killed-wife-kids-changing-tv-germany-australia-game?cc=5901&ver=us) by his wife and two grown children on Sunday. The cause? He wanted to watch the World Cup, the rest of them wanted to watch a gospel show. We really, really wish we were making this up.
http://www.sportsgrid.com/media/south-african-man-killed-by-family-over-world-cup-watching-dispute/

EDIT: Better link: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gY9GWWoPXicU7xpfHbMdTy1T9kJAD9GD3QD00

dw13
06-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Madness.

Cornholio
06-17-2010, 05:11 PM
Glad I can watch the Germans' game tomorrow.
It's at 1.30 PM and I have to work, but a TV is OK, I'm so happy!!!

phaneuf6
06-18-2010, 07:47 AM
Vidic with the shocking handball and Podolski still can't bury on the peno. That's two or three great chances he's missed on.

The refereeing really has been harsh, I don't know that Klose should've been sent off. However that's a challenge Klose should never have attempted with a booking already.

dw13
06-18-2010, 07:53 AM
I really, really hope Jovanovic stays inked for Liverpool. What a player he looks.

Edit; Yes this ref has been just shocking. The red card could possibly be justified, but he has been really horrible in this match.

suckerpuncher
06-18-2010, 08:36 AM
Damn. Despite the bad officiating and a bad game by us that's a game we never should have lost.
So many chances but no luck. Not sure why Poldi took that one and not Schweinsteiger.

And the ref was a joke. No chance in hell that any of the 2 fouls by Klose called for card let alone both.
I could have understand if the ref would have shown that many cards in a bad blooded match but this game wasn't hard or unfair at all. But still he manged to show 9 yellow cards and the red card against Klose. Unbelievable.

For some reason we always play bad in game 2. 2002 we only got a draw against Ireland, 2006 a last minute win against Poland we we got lucky and at the EURO 2008 a loss agaisnt Croatia.

Now we need to beat Ghana in the last game to advance.

nyrblue2
06-18-2010, 10:08 AM
WTF was the goalie doing on the first US goal? I would think goaltending 101 in all sports is to cut down the angle. That guy literally backed up into his own net.

dw13
06-18-2010, 10:10 AM
WTF was the goalie doing on the first US goal? I would think goaltending 101 in all sports is to cut down the angle. That guy literally backed up into his own net.

He comes out to cut that angle, and it's a little slotted ball across the goal for a tap in. What he did wrong was he didn't show himself large, he hugged the post and opened it up.

To be fair, he probably should of even saved it from where he was at. Looked scared of the ball.

dw13
06-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Why do they employ referees from such small countries? Some of them are just pitiful.

MrScientist
06-18-2010, 10:52 AM
Can the US protest this game?

dw13
06-18-2010, 10:54 AM
Why do they employ referees from such small countries? Some of them are just pitiful.

Quoting myself for emphasis.

Horribly played game in the first half though. I've been shouting for the 4-5-1 formation from the get-go, they turn to it in the second half and it turns into goals.

Onyewu should find a spot on the bench for the rest of the tournament, he's absolutely horrible.

Edu's goal shouldn't of been disallowed, clearly a goal.

looch17
06-18-2010, 11:09 AM
Watched the first half, missed the second. What a comeback by the US. I don't really know soccer rules to well so I am not sure what happened on the 3rd (disallowed) goal? It looked like a good goal to me. Such a shame to take away a game winner like that one that the US really needed. Also I heard that the game @ 2pm is a big one for US hopes so I set a reminder on my TV so I can keep an eye on it. What is it exactly that the US needs to happen in that game?

dw13
06-18-2010, 11:15 AM
Watched the first half, missed the second. What a comeback by the US. I don't really know soccer rules to well so I am not sure what happened on the 3rd (disallowed) goal? It looked like a good goal to me. Such a shame to take away a game winner like that one that the US really needed. Also I heard that the game @ 2pm is a big one for US hopes so I set a reminder on my TV so I can keep an eye on it. What is it exactly that the US needs to happen in that game?

Well the miracle would be for Algeria to beat England... but the result we should be looking for is a draw between them if Algeria can't win.

looch17
06-18-2010, 11:17 AM
Well the miracle would be for Algeria to beat England... but the result we should be looking for is a draw between them if Algeria can't win.OK thanks. Go Algeria!;)

MTR
06-18-2010, 11:22 AM

I don't think anyone knows why he disallowed the winner. Terrible ref. He was terrible the whole game. At first I said he wasn't costing us the win because we should not have given up those goals had we been marking our men. But at the end of the day he cost us the game. Stupid ref. I hate bitching about refs but in this case he deserves the crap he gets thrown his way. Giving a guy a yellow for a handball when it went off his face. WTF!

looch17
06-18-2010, 11:25 AM
I don't think anyone knows why he disallowed the winner. Terrible ref. He was terrible the whole game. At first I said he wasn't costing us the win because we should not have given up those goals had we been marking our men. But at the end of the day he cost us the game. Stupid ref. I hate bitching about refs but in this case he deserves the crap he gets thrown his way. Giving a guy a yellow for a handball when it went off his face. WTF!Yeah I saw that WTF is right. What a joke. Looks like the refs pulled a fast one on us. Hopefully Algeria can help us out.

MTR
06-18-2010, 11:34 AM
Read that official FIFA play by play says he called a foul on Edu which is why he disallowed the goal. Crappy call.

Cornholio
06-18-2010, 12:07 PM
Klose should have known not to make a foul like that, the way the ref was throwing out yellow cards in the first half.

And can anyone tell me why the ref didn't allow the 3rd US goal???

suckerpuncher
06-18-2010, 12:49 PM
Too bad. Once again a ref who wasn't up tp the task.

He was the only one in the whole stadium who saw anything there. The only thing I saw was that Bradley was held so if he needed to call something then a penalty (or give the advantange and then subsequently the goal for the US) but not foul against the US team.

The first half wasn't that good and Slovenia capitalized on their chances. Especially the second goal was a perfect counter after the US team had a bunch of chances.
And in the first hlaf team USA passed to much in the box of Slovenia tirying to score a pretty goal instead of just taking a shot and getting an ugly one.
But the second was pretty dominant and only thnaks to the ref Slovenia got away with a point.

Btw. the Titan mentioned that if you'd invest (substantially) more money into soccer and being serious about it you'd actually have a good chance of being a force to be reckoned with on the world stage.
So go figure.

And as far as Klose goes afterwards he said even the guy who he (alledgedly) fouled said that he got more tangled up on the pitch by himself than by the "touch" of Klose.

mrtybrodur30
06-18-2010, 01:04 PM
What a brutal ref the U.S. had. It was disgusting. Good comeback though but sooner or later they are going to get beat if they keep playing from behind.

Hamsterkill
06-18-2010, 01:11 PM
Even if England beats Algeria, US still can advance if we beat Algeria and England vs Slovenia has a winner. If England and Slovenia tie and we beat Algeria, there'll be a three-way tie and it'll go to goals.

dw13
06-18-2010, 01:12 PM
Even if England beats Algeria, US still can advance if we beat Algeria and England vs Slovenia has a winner. If England and Slovenia tie and we beat Algeria, there'll be a three-way tie and it'll go to goals.

Still, pull for Algeria to get a result here.

It goes to goal differential, so hopefully we'll pot some goals against Algeria.

MTR
06-18-2010, 01:59 PM
And can anyone tell me why the ref didn't allow the 3rd US goal???

Foul on Edu officially. Replays show nothing of the sort though.

phaneuf6
06-18-2010, 02:23 PM
Altidore and Bradley are two of the biggest pussies I've seen thus far in this tournament. Is Altidore part Italian? The guy is a disgrace the way he flops around and whines to the ref. Bradley was just being a huge bitch after the game to the refs. The game is over, stop your whining. You only play half a game, you're probably not going to come away with 3 points.

dw13
06-18-2010, 02:28 PM
Altidore and Bradley are two of the biggest pussies I've seen thus far in this tournament. Is Altidore part Italian? The guy is a disgrace the way he flops around and whines to the ref. Bradley was just being a huge bitch after the game to the refs. The game is over, stop your whining. You only play half a game, you're probably not going to come away with 3 points.

Hater :lol::lol:

dw13
06-18-2010, 03:20 PM
England = shit

Rooney = shit

Thanks Algeria!

gogoayane
06-18-2010, 03:26 PM
my eyes and brain hurt so much after watching the game... the little amount of effort they put is unbelievable... more turnovers and missed play I've ever seen in a game... Rooney didn't show up today at all... credits go to the Algerians...

MTR
06-18-2010, 04:24 PM
So did England want to win the game or what? What the hell kind of performance was that from one of the favored teams in the tournament?

dw13
06-18-2010, 04:33 PM
So did England want to win the game or what? What the hell kind of performance was that from one of the favored teams in the tournament?

The normal performance from any English team that comes into the tournament hyped up :lol:

MTR
06-18-2010, 04:42 PM
:lol: Well said. :yes:

CayugaPosse
06-18-2010, 08:38 PM
http://video.thescore.com/watch/what-irked-james-today--7

http://video.thescore.com/watch/world-cup-day-eight-vodcast

moans
06-19-2010, 04:02 PM
Hopefully this is the end of the French. Domenech is a moron.

Anekla's been dismissed from the world cup for refusing to bashing the coach privately and refusing to issue a public apology.
http://tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=325104

Nicolas Anelka was kicked off France's World Cup squad after insulting coach Raymond Domenech and refusing to apologize, the French football federation said Saturday.

dw13
06-20-2010, 09:53 AM
I wasn't surprised to hear it. Domenech is an idiot. Some people he left out of the squad left me baffled.

Pure dive by De Rossi to tie the game vs. New Zealand.

Come on you Kiwi's!

dw13
06-20-2010, 09:58 AM
The French team refused to practice today.

Good stuff.

Cornholio
06-20-2010, 11:47 AM
Pure dive by De Rossi to tie the game vs. New Zealand.
Actually, the defender wanted to have his jersey, so the penalty shot was correct, no doubt!
I'm happy though that the Kiwi's managed to end the game tied :)

And the Netherlands are the first team qualified for the next round, Cameroon is the first team out (lost 1-2 against Denmark yesterday).

Tonight it's Brazil against Cote D'Ivoire the Brazilians have to do way better tonight then they did in their first game against North Korea!!!

dw13
06-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Brazil vs. Ivory Coast

Big one.

phaneuf6
06-20-2010, 02:36 PM
Actually, the defender wanted to have his jersey, so the penalty shot was correct, no doubt!
I'm happy though that the Kiwi's managed to end the game tied :)

That definitely was not worthy of a penalty.

Nice goal by Fabiano to put Brazil up. C'mon Drogba.

Cornholio
06-20-2010, 02:38 PM
Well, he held the other guy's jersey. Period.
Not a fan of that diving by the italian guy, but it was a foul.

phaneuf6
06-20-2010, 02:39 PM
Well, he held the other guy's jersey. Period.
Not a fan of that diving by the italian guy, but it was a foul.

If that was a foul worthy of a penalty, we'd see a penalty called on every crossed ball in the tournament.

moans
06-20-2010, 02:40 PM
Sign, another blown call. Very clearly a hand ball but no call. Cote D'Ivore sure cannot come back from this deficit.

dw13
06-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Fabiano is back. He's deadly in big tournaments like this.

Ivory Coast just are not good enough defensively.

phaneuf6
06-20-2010, 02:45 PM
Sign, another blown call. Very clearly a hand ball but no call. Cote D'Ivore sure cannot come back from this deficit.

Tough call for the officials to make there based on Fabiano's body and the bodies around him. Very easy to criticize when you see slow-mo replays.

suckerpuncher
06-20-2010, 02:46 PM
Fabiano actually touched the ball twice with his hand.

But there might be a suspension looming for him. It looked liked the ref asked whether he used his hand or not and he said no. So he clearly lied to the ref and therefore a suspension is possible.

dw13
06-20-2010, 02:50 PM
Fabiano actually touched the ball twice with his hand.

But there might be a suspension looming for him. It looked liked the ref asked whether he used his hand or not and he said no. So he clearly lied to the ref and therefore a suspension is possible.

Possibly, don't see it coming though.

Brazil playing well right now though, 3-0.

dw13
06-20-2010, 03:15 PM
This has gotten really ugly. Match needs to finish before anything else happens.

Keita should be ashamed of himself.

suckerpuncher
06-20-2010, 03:24 PM
If that Spanish ref who screwed us over would have called this game I sincerly doubt that there would have been enough men left on the field to finish the game.

Kaka got lucky since he could have gotten a straight red card. Even though he didn't hit the face but "just" the chest (and not even hard) but still completely stupid by him.

pjm
06-20-2010, 03:26 PM
I think the announcers used 'disgraceful' to describe that play by Keita... and I agree. Terrible

dw13
06-20-2010, 03:47 PM
If that Spanish ref who screwed us over would have called this game I sincerly doubt that there would have been enough men left on the field to finish the game.

Kaka got lucky since he could have gotten a straight red card. Even though he didn't hit the face but "just" the chest (and not even hard) but still completely stupid by him.

Wait a second, you think Kaka was at fault there? Keita clearly ran into him, IMO. He was defending himself. He didn't touch him in the face, just put up his arm to shield him from being tackled.

But yeah, I agree the alot of refs would sent a couple players off in that game.

Cornholio
06-20-2010, 04:07 PM
If that was a foul worthy of a penalty, we'd see a penalty called on every crossed ball in the tournament.
If it's a foul in the "penalty area", it is a penalty. No matter if it's just a slight "jersey grabbing" or a "straddle" where you hit the opponent, not the player.

in hockey, you call 2 minutes for a slight little hook as well as for a hook where the stick is at the other's hands for several seconds.
It simply soesn't matter! :)

100% agree!!!
Lucky he got the 2nd yellow card, could easily have been straight red here!

Does anyone know what's the injury of Elano?
I suppose it could be a broken lower leg (shinbone)...

suckerpuncher
06-20-2010, 04:09 PM
I say it was stupid to raise his elbow with an opponent coming in. And this stupidity worth a card. Even a red one. His elbow has no business up there.
A smart player would have handled this differently.

And maybe an earlier red card ort two would have cooled both teams down.

Btw. Delling just said Elano has no broken leg. Just a (more severe) contusion (starke Prellung).

dw13
06-20-2010, 05:06 PM
A bunch of different opinions around here, I like it.

I think Kaka's second yellow was incredibly harsh, and I think the Italian PK was clearly not a PK.

suckerpuncher
06-21-2010, 08:23 AM
Wow, the wheels came off pretty hard in the second half for North Korea.

Snipes16
06-21-2010, 09:22 AM
Portugal with the xtra point....thats more like it, boys

suckerpuncher
06-21-2010, 09:41 AM
@D13
Did you see the red card against Behrami? For a similiar thing like Kaka did yesterday he got a straight red card.

Probaly not justified but his hands have nothing to do up there and the FIFA wants the refs to call those things and punish players hard and that's the result.
And the players know that and that's why they provoke it and overact like they just got struck by lightning even if they got barely touched.

Same goes for the penalty for Italy yesterday.
FIFA wants the refs to call those things and you're right if any of those get called there will be like 5 or 6 penalties a game and good refs don't call any of those but since the FIFA keeps a close eye on them during the World Cup there will be some questionable calls which you normally don't see during the PL, Bundesliga etc. season.
I'm also not a fan of this but the refs are to do it especially if they are not used to call games at this level.

And going back to the red card for Kewell for Australia a good ref probably would have called the foul which happend moments before the shot and the hand by Kewell.
So Ghana would have still gotten a penalty and most likely a goal but nobody would have been sent off which would have been better for the game.

dw13
06-21-2010, 10:04 AM
I just don't think Kaka had any vicious intent with what he did. It looked like Keita was about to run and tackle him. Probably shouldn't of put his elbow up that way, but I actually can understand it.

I don't understand why FIFA has to use refs from numerous countries? Why not use the refs that ref the largest of games in Europe? They'd obviously do a MUCH better job.

suckerpuncher
06-21-2010, 10:22 AM
I don't understand why FIFA has to use refs from numerous countries? Why not use the refs that ref the largest of games in Europe? They'd obviously do a MUCH better job.
Short answer: Politics.
In order to get anything (like enough votes for elections etc.) they make promises and deals with all those small nations.
So there are refs at the World Cup from countries that will most likely never be represented at a World Cup with an own team.

The official excuse is it's an world wide event and so refs from all of the world participate.

And now Medel just gets a yellows card for a "hit" against the throat of a Swiss player. That was more of a red card than the actual one the ref gave.

dw13
06-21-2010, 10:29 AM
And now Medel just gets a yellows card for a "hit" against the throat of a Swiss player. That was more of a red card than the actual one the ref gave.

You never know what's going to get called, what will be the result of the call, what color card is coming out. It all puts such a hampering on such a great event.

Cornholio
06-21-2010, 02:24 PM
It's horrible seeing the refs calling every game different!

And even some fouls are judged different in the same game by one ref.

Once a ref makes his calls, he has to stick to the way for the rest of the game!

suckerpuncher
06-21-2010, 02:36 PM
Like I said before a bunch of refs aren't used to the pace of the game and the way the players on the top level behave. How can you expect a ref to make the right call if he's 20+m away from the ball because he's too slow?

And Villa is lucky to still be on the pitch. This was really a re card. Hitting someone in the face no matter how hard is just unsportsmanlike and has nothing to do in this game. But once again a ref wasn't up to the task.

mrtybrodur30
06-21-2010, 02:44 PM
The refs really are controlling these matches. Even worse the terrible plays that should be called they dont even acknowledge like they are blind or something and then when they see stupid shit they start booking people like crazy. We can only hope it gets better and the officiating doesnt decide a key match or two deep in the tournament.

phaneuf6
06-21-2010, 08:18 PM
I don't think the officiating has really interfered with the outcome of a lot of games, outside of the recent Italian one (shite penalty call) and the second German game (lotta cards).

dw13
06-21-2010, 08:47 PM
I don't think the officiating has really interfered with the outcome of a lot of games, outside of the recent Italian one (shite penalty call) and the second German game (lotta cards).

Before the Germany/Serbia game, I thought the officiating had actually been really good but the past couple of days they have been absolutely horrid.

mrtybrodur30
06-21-2010, 09:02 PM
Before the Germany/Serbia game, I thought the officiating had actually been really good but the past couple of days they have been absolutely horrid.I agree, the first couple days they were doing great I was pretty happy and impressed but then we all know what has happened.

suckerpuncher
06-22-2010, 03:18 AM
I can think of 2 reason why the refs got worse.
For one maybe the FIFA wanted them to call more
But the main reason is probably the conditioning of the refs. A lot of them are not used to call 2 games within a week let alone on this level. So they are late and and too far out and call things that didn't happen and also don't call things that actually did happen.

dw13
06-22-2010, 09:40 AM
France :lol:

suckerpuncher
06-22-2010, 10:12 AM
Once again one of those unjustified red cars.

They just said that most likely because there was a head injury in the USA - Slovenia game FIFA now "encourages" (aka. forces) refs to hand out red cards for any hand action close to a players head.:rolleyes:

Cornholio
06-22-2010, 02:27 PM
That's how you gotta play against Messi!
One man all the time, anotrher if he gets the ball.
He's getting pissed off :cool:

suckerpuncher
06-22-2010, 03:48 PM
Old school Otto. :lol:

The only problem is that Greece actually needed to score but with this way of play they didn't deserved to advance. It looked like they were waiting for Nigeria to win so they could live with the draw.
But this backfired.

dw13
06-22-2010, 04:17 PM
PCT(%)99.6%
RNK 3,649

My PCT and Rank on the ESPN bracket predictor. Got all 4 teams right, just got the Mexico/Uruguay wrong... I had Mexico winning the group, Uru second.

dw13
06-23-2010, 08:48 AM
Bornstein in for the USA.

Bob Bradley. You suck.

MrScientist
06-23-2010, 09:31 AM
These refs are worse than any professional sport in North America. Yes, we gripe about the subjectivity of calls and the like, but these guys are just fucking up the rules.

phaneuf6
06-23-2010, 10:41 AM
These refs are worse than any professional sport in North America. Yes, we gripe about the subjectivity of calls and the like, but these guys are just fucking up the rules.

Not really. Are you a big football fan?

dw13
06-23-2010, 10:48 AM
Get in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!