PDA

View Full Version : Official Football (Soccer) Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

suckerpuncher
08-12-2009, 03:25 PM
By the way, sucker, I watched the Germany game... ugly, huh? :scared:
That wasn't pretty.
But it was just one of those games you just need to win and get the important 3 points. Look and France and their ugly 1-0 win tonight.
Against Russia in October the team will play a completely different (and hopefully much better) game.

Our problem right now is our defense. Except for Lahm nobody is safe there or really dominant. So the struggles there will continue for the time being.
Luckily none of those other guys were able to shoot anywhere near our goal tonight. :D

dw13
08-12-2009, 04:57 PM
That wasn't pretty.
But it was just one of those games you just need to win and get the important 3 points. Look and France and their ugly 1-0 win tonight.
Against Russia in October the team will play a completely different (and hopefully much better) game.

Our problem right now is our defense. Except for Lahm nobody is safe there or really dominant. So the struggles there will continue for the time being.
Luckily none of those other guys were able to shoot anywhere near our goal tonight. :D

Haha I can agree with that. It'll be for the group vs. Russia in October no doubt.

As for the USA game, I wish Bradley wasn't our coach. Just horrible selections (where was Spector and Feilhaber to start the game?), horrible picks off the bench (we needed to sit on the 1-1 lead, not try to go forward).

We let Mexico crawl back into qualification, and we lose! Double whammy. :mad:

MTR
08-13-2009, 08:56 AM
Good thing Honduras won so we didn't lose ground on Costa Rica but at the same time now we are tied with Honduras. Mexico still in 4th but closer now. :(

I hated the selections yesterday. If you are not going to start Jozy and use him as a super sub then get him on the pitch fucking sooner.

Howard was the man. Both of those goals were great shots by the Mexicans. Shots they should have never gotten off but great shots none the less. Both times there should have been a defender there.

Starting to get tired of Bradley coaching. We are going to fuck around and barely get in when honestly we should be at the top of the group comfortably at this point.

dw13
08-18-2009, 01:38 PM
Fully pulling for Celtic today! The Bhoys need to do it for me, get the important home leg win and keep Arsenal scoreless.

dw13
08-18-2009, 03:49 PM
Arsenal is in great form at the moment, fun to watch as much as I dislike them

Awesome second half from Chelsea as well, after being down 1-0... Darren Bent is off to a fast start for Sunderland though

Winger72
08-18-2009, 05:29 PM
Arsenal is in great form at the moment, fun to watch as much as I dislike them

Hopefully, they keep it up.

Maybe I should not watch them the rest of the season and they'll finally win something.

dw13
08-19-2009, 03:41 PM
Inserting Yossi into the Liverpool starting 11 was exactly what we need! Thrashing of Stoke and ManU drops to Burnley! Wooooo

suckerpuncher
08-27-2009, 07:21 AM
After that horrible start with only 2 points in 3 games seems like Bayern just made another move. According to some German sports sites they just bought Robben for €25 mio. from Real. And they are also still interested in Quaresma.
Given the problem Bayern has are more on the defensive side of the game where much more need another defender and a better goalie but still some more power to the offense is never a bad thing.
And Robben perfectly fits into van Gaal's new 4-3-3 scheme he tries to implement sincee July without much success so far.

The only negative thing is that they also seem to have an agreement with Real on dealing Ribery after this season so he'll play in Madrid starting July 2010. :cry:

dw13
08-27-2009, 10:13 AM
Robben is a class player but can't stand him. A cheating, diver at that. He has a ton of skill and should do well for you guys though.

Edit: Ready for the UCL draw!

dw13
08-27-2009, 12:16 PM
Liverpool
Lyon
Fiorentina
Debrencan

Also, tough group you got there Sucker.. I'd say a bit tougher than ours for sure.

suckerpuncher
09-04-2009, 08:20 AM
Chelsea got hit very hard with the one year transfer ban. Technically they can't get any new players before January, 1st 2011 because they got banned for the next 2 transfer windows. That will really hurt them if the penalty stands as it is.

And now ManU gets investigated for the same violation.

dw13
09-04-2009, 10:50 AM
Chelsea got hit very hard with the one year transfer ban. Technically they can't get any new players before January, 1st 2011 because they got banned for the next 2 transfer windows. That will really hurt them if the penalty stands as it is.

And now ManU gets investigated for the same violation.

I'm sure they will lessen after the appeal, I hope they don't but I think they will. I'm glad to see it. ManU has been scooping kids from outside Europe because they can't offer pro contracts when they are <18. I think that's how Cesc made his way to Arsenal, and so forth. Macheda was another player ManU took out of Lazio's system with that rule.

It's interesting! Sorry Chelski!

dw13
09-09-2009, 03:54 PM
England is through. Amazing game by them today, looked great. Lampard had 2, Gerrard has 2 headers and Rooney added in the 5th to make it 5-1.

Awesome game, and now the USA later! Lets do it!

suckerpuncher
09-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Bayern finally seems to get on a roll. That Robben deal brought some new life to the team. Down 0-1 early the still managed to win easily 5-1.

The media here already created a nickname for the duo Ribery and Robben - Robbery. :lol:

dw13
09-15-2009, 11:54 AM
UCL Today! Good luck Sucker, and everyone else thats fans. Liverpool plays tomorrow vs. the Hungarian champs.

dw13
09-15-2009, 11:13 PM
Solid win Sucker, never easy going all the way to Isreal.

narduch
09-16-2009, 07:52 AM
Looking forward to Inter v Barca today.

smitty42
09-16-2009, 08:47 AM
Any predictions on the score of the Liverpool game?

dw13
09-16-2009, 11:29 AM
Any predictions on the score of the Liverpool game?

3-0, possibly more. I do think we blank them @Anfield.

dw13
09-26-2009, 09:53 PM
Torres with an amazing Hat Trick! @Fiorentina midweek for Champions League... all 3 points would be great.

Good luck in your game this week Sucker

dw13
09-28-2009, 12:14 PM
By the way, Sucker... your stupid U20 Team! :(

suckerpuncher
09-28-2009, 12:58 PM
Haha...

I read about it. Especially the part where our media call the US team the "self-proclaimed favorite" is very hilarous.

Given the fact that our team misses about the 30 best players and has only 16 active players in the squad because of a couple of ill guys and then playing in a hot weather environment where it's more than twice as hot as we have it here right now makes the victory look even better.

dw13
09-29-2009, 01:36 PM
Our U-20 team bounced back very, my buddy played very well.

Liverpool now, lets do it Redmen!!

suckerpuncher
09-29-2009, 03:48 PM
Looks like a bad day for Pool.

I hope Bayern does better tomorrow against Juve.

dw13
09-29-2009, 03:57 PM
Looks like a bad day for Pool.

I hope Bayern does better tomorrow against Juve.

Lost the game in the first 45. No creativity or midfield whatsoever. Questionable putting Aurelio in at left-mid over Riera from the weekend. Games like this really make me want to see Aquilani in the squad when healthy.

Hopefully we rebound quick, we have Chelsea at the Bridge next.

Good luck tomorrow sucker

suckerpuncher
10-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Bayern played a very good frist half last night but didn't managed to score a goal. And then in the second half they didn't do nearlyenough to win the game.

But Bayern paid a steep price. Robben out for about a month. Ribery out for at least one week with a knee injury and also van Buyten has a foot injury will likely not play this weekend.

dw13
10-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Bayern played a very good frist half last night but didn't managed to score a goal. And then in the second half they didn't do nearlyenough to win the game.

But Bayern paid a steep price. Robben out for about a month. Ribery out for at least one week with a knee injury and also van Buyten has a foot injury will likely not play this weekend.

Robben picks up a SLIGHT knock and its a month for him, you should know that sp :\

I watched the game though, and Bayern was worthy of the win, IMO. Dominating first 45 minutes, and a solid enough second. Unfortunate about VB and Ribiery.. but I figured it was a matter of time for Robben

suckerpuncher
10-01-2009, 12:28 PM
His injury-proness reminds me of 2 other former Bayern players.
Sebastian Deisler who had a ton of MCL and ACL injuries, later on depressions and ultimatley had to end his carrer at about age 26.
And of course Mehmet Scholl. He had all the talent in the world but all those injuries piled up on him and he could never live up to his potential. But he's still a fan favorite and now coaches the second team of Bayern but with not much success so far.

I try to see the positive sites.
For once the injury sounded way more serious right after the game when van Gaal said Robben might be out for a couple of months so being out 3-4 weeks isn't that bad.
And as long as he's healthy in the second half of the season when the games really count I can live with that.

dw13
10-10-2009, 05:08 PM
Congrats on qualification Sucker. Lets hope USA does the same tonight!

suckerpuncher
10-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Thanks.

That was a tight game and we got very lucky. The Russian had a bunch of real good opportunities like right before we scored but fortunatley they weren't able to capitalize on any of those not even with the man advantage after Boateng was sent off. And of course Adler made a couple of brilliant saves.

Good luck tonight against Honduras.

phaneuf6
10-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Damn Italians.. hopefully Ireland qualify in the next stage.

Winger72
10-10-2009, 11:04 PM
Congrats on qualification Sucker. Lets hope USA does the same tonight!

USA is in. 3-2 over Honduras.

Did anyone actually get to see the game? I followed the last few minutes over at ESPN.com.

dw13
10-10-2009, 11:10 PM
USA is in. 3-2 over Honduras.

Did anyone actually get to see the game? I followed the last few minutes over at ESPN.com.

Watched it from start to finish, although the first half I was bothered by the Gator game. Lifeless first half 0-0, and then they scored a free kick outside of the box to make it 1-0. USA showed something I haven't seen from them, especially on the road, we fought back and Conor Casey had 2 very awesome goals to make it 2-1. We drew a free kick outside of their box and Donovan hit a SWEET ball around the wall to make it 3-1. The defense started getting real shaky and they made it 3-2, and then a unlucky hand ball by my buddy Stu Holden in the box gave Honduras a PK to tie it. He missed it over the bar!!!!!!

Just an absolutely crazy game and I'm so proud of the team, qualifying was huge. Getting that result, so we didn't have to beat Costa Rica to make it in next stage.

Awesome stuff. I'm friends with Holden and hope to hear from him soon, he must be relieved they didn't make the PK after his handball.

dw13
10-14-2009, 09:39 PM
Get well soon Charlie Davies. News hit hard to my good friend Stu Holden, as he was just rooming with him @Honduras.

Great to see the gutty performance tonight for him.

b_illin
10-20-2009, 06:45 PM
Well, that about seals our fate in CL this year....ouch! (not looking too good in the EPL if Torres & Garrard are out long)

dw13
10-20-2009, 07:29 PM
Well, that about seals our fate in CL this year....ouch! (not looking too good in the EPL if Torres & Garrard are out long)

You can forget about any major trophies this year. Don't have the depth, and today was just absolutely disheartening. Infront of the KOP, on a Tuesday night, and we lose in that fashion? The only true things we can take out of that is the play of Martin Kelly before he got hurt. He has pushed his way into some consideration even though Glen Johnson has been pretty good for us.

Aurelio and Johnson can both play the wing positions for us and provide cover depth and we need that desperately. Kuyt and Benayoun played well, and so did Mascher. Lucas doesn't do enough for me and hopefully Aquiliani has a positive impact on this team because he can do things with the ball on his feet that Mascher and Lucas simple cannot do.

We have lost too many games already in the league, unless we go on an incredible stretch which doesn't look likely considering we won't have much to buy in January either (F*ck you Hicks and Gillette).

As for UCL, I don't really think we have a chance unless Debrechen upsets Lyon or Fiorentina, which is doubtful.

Really disappointing that the owners didn't give Rafa nearly enough to play with, and if we don't have a take over (Saudi Prince) soon enough, I could really see Rafa walking away within the next couple of years.

Hard pill to swallow today.

phaneuf6
10-20-2009, 08:59 PM
Hoping Ireland can beat France for the World Cup qualifications..

gagne21
10-21-2009, 01:06 PM
Hoping Ireland can beat France for the World Cup qualifications..

with my boy Seamus Given in net, I think you've got a shot. Too bad Stevie Ireland had such a falling out with the FAI, he'd be huge out there. Plus, we all know how much of a stud Lee Carsley is, haha.

phaneuf6
10-22-2009, 11:22 AM
with my boy Seamus Given in net, I think you've got a shot. Too bad Stevie Ireland had such a falling out with the FAI, he'd be huge out there. Plus, we all know how much of a stud Lee Carsley is, haha.

Well said. :beer:

dw13
10-22-2009, 11:26 AM
I don't see it happening. France should be able to atleast draw at Croke Park and then take it home for a win and the birth. Not to mention, with it being so close to each other, any knock that Ireland picks up will be tough to replace for the return leg.

Good luck though! Rooting for ya, gives the USA a slight better chance a top 8 seed if you guys knock them out!

phaneuf6
10-22-2009, 12:56 PM
I don't see it happening. France should be able to atleast draw at Croke Park and then take it home for a win and the birth. Not to mention, with it being so close to each other, any knock that Ireland picks up will be tough to replace for the return leg.

Good luck though! Rooting for ya, gives the USA a slight better chance a top 8 seed if you guys knock them out!

Croker will be mad for this game.. unbelievable stadium, probably the best I've ever been in. Hopefully Ireland can hold a lead which they weren't able to do against Italy a week ago. I'd rather have seen them play in France first but what can you do.

dw13
10-25-2009, 11:40 AM
Down and out? I don't think so. You'll Never Walk Alone Liverpool!!!!!!

dw13
11-02-2009, 10:26 PM
Well with 10 injuries leading up to Wednesdays make or break clash in France, Gerrard is officially missing out. Johnson, Agger and Aurelio face late fit tests, and this could very well end the season in both the CL and PL for Liverpool. Rafa is on the hotseat, right or wrongfully so. The only way he doesn't continue is if he walks, which could be possible (and could be lured by Real to be honest).

He is wrongfully, IMO, taken alot of grief for this plummet from the Reds this year. Hicks and Gillette NEED to go for this team to be successful, Rafa was not backed with enough cash to give us the depth we need to compete and the broken promises are getting old.

If it does come to fruition and Rafa walks (I'll be a sad son of a bitch) but just thinking of candidates to replace him: King Kenny Daglish obviously comes to mind first, the King Red himself, Barnes and sadly Klinsmann (shine some light on him while I'm at it SP), since the American owners love Klinsmann.. which I don't like him much.

My pick would be Frank Rijkaard, I think he got a raw deal from Barca and he is a free man right now. Rumors have him possibly linked to Real as well... and Roberto Mancini seems to think he has a shot at Liverpool too, although I'm not a fan of his. Mourinho might be tempted by the job, but I'm not sure we give him a big enough bank account to lead us. Hiddink would be an outside shot, but obviously don't think it would happen.

Either way, I want the Istanbul spirit for Wednesday night! We need this win and we are back in the CL running! Love the Reds to death and given the right health, we could make a big run of games in any league without losing.

Good luck to you as well SP.

dw13
11-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Stunning stuff.

gagne21
11-04-2009, 10:49 PM
He is wrongfully, IMO, taken alot of grief for this plummet from the Reds this year. Hicks and Gillette NEED to go for this team to be successful, Rafa was not backed with enough cash to give us the depth we need to compete and the broken promises are getting old.

oh give me a fuckin' break, you guys have been spending big for years.

dw13
11-05-2009, 12:31 AM
oh give me a fuckin' break, you guys have been spending big for years.

Uhh.. you're pretty wrong but alright. Outside of Torres' record sign, please give me some more? Masch for 12? Benayoun for 7?

gagne21
11-07-2009, 07:16 PM
Uhh.. you're pretty wrong but alright. Outside of Torres' record sign, please give me some more? Masch for 12 (he was actually 18.6 m)? Benayoun for 7?

Keane, Babel, Alonso, Dossenna, Riera, Agger, Skrtel, Reina, Leiva, Kuyt, Pennant, Crouch, Bellamy, Sissoko, Morientes, Garcia, Cisse...most of them pretty useless however.

How long have you been supporting Liverpool?

Rafa has spent over 80 million more than old baconface since July 2004, and next to Chelsea have had the highest transfer spending over the last 5 years.

...so uhh, you're pretty wrong.

dw13
11-07-2009, 07:32 PM
Keane, Babel, Alonso, Dossenna, Riera, Agger, Skrtel, Reina, Leiva, Kuyt, Pennant, Crouch, Bellamy, Sissoko, Morientes, Garcia, Cisse...most of them pretty useless however.

How long have you been supporting Liverpool?

Rafa has spent over 80 million more than old baconface since July 2004, and next to Chelsea have had the highest transfer spending over the last 5 years.

...so uhh, you're pretty wrong.

I've been supporting Liverpool ever since I saw them at Anfield when I was 7. So 18 years or so.

Instead of actually explaining how wrong you are more you can read the dynamite Jamie Ward wrote recently: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/279000-in-reponse-tomatthew-fearon-from-the-times-online-discussing-benitez

Read the whole article, then hop back to me. And by the way, I was talking about this offseason not having the great backing from the owners.

Enjoy the read

gagne21
11-07-2009, 07:48 PM
you're missing the point, that article is just defending Rafa's spending, slamming Chelsea and adding that he wasn't the one who signed Cisse (which I realy don't care). This article is pretty biased towards Livy, and the article that it is refuting is pretty damn bias towards United. You can't argue with the fact that Liverpool has spent the most next to Chelsea over the past 5 years - the numbers don't lie. I don't care if Rafa had a shitty core of players to build from, he still spent, and Liverpool, (whoever it was that was calling the shots), still spent more than anyone but Chelsea.

My original point was correct when I said that you have been spending big for years.

dw13
11-07-2009, 07:53 PM
you're missing the point, that article is just defending Rafa's spending, slamming Chelsea and adding that he wasn't the one who signed Cisse (which I realy don't care). This article is pretty biased towards Livy, and the article that it is refuting is pretty damn bias towards United. You can't argue with the fact that Liverpool has spent the most next to Chelsea over the past 5 years - the numbers don't lie. I don't care if Rafa had a shitty core of players to build from, he still spent, and Liverpool, (whoever it was that was calling the shots), still spent more than anyone but Chelsea.

My original point was correct when I said that you have been spending big for years.

My point stands that we have had to spend by recouping, simply put. We've never been backed with a solid amount of money from the owners, without having to lose players at the same time. Rafa has done an extraordinary job up until this year, and this year isn't over, although the injury bug surely has hit us hard.

If you're simply talking about how much we have spent, then yes, we are second behind Chelsea and the mad Russian but the money we have spent has had to be spent because of the fact of people like Owen, Xabi, etc. wanted to leave to try their traits across the continent.

Either way, my initial point of we were not backed with enough money this offseason is surely true. We should have easily been backed with enough money for Silva and a cover striker for Torres, and we weren't. Not to mention when the Owners came in talking about a new stadium which obviously hasn't come to fruition even though the KOP is crumbling.

H & G need to either back the club to the fullest, or give up part of the club for the better of LFC.

gagne21
11-07-2009, 08:01 PM
My point stands that we have had to spend by recouping, simply put. We've never been backed with a solid amount of money from the owners, without having to lose players at the same time. Rafa has done an extraordinary job up until this year, and this year isn't over, although the injury bug surely has hit us hard.

If you're simply talking about how much we have spent, then yes, we are second behind Chelsea and the mad Russian but the money we have spent has had to be spent because of the fact of people like Owen, Xabi, etc. wanted to leave to try their traits across the continent.

Either way, my initial point of we were not backed with enough money this offseason is surely true. We should have easily been backed with enough money for Silva and a cover striker for Torres, and we weren't. Not to mention when the Owners came in talking about a new stadium which obviously hasn't come to fruition even though the KOP is crumbling.

H & G need to either back the club to the fullest, or give up part of the club for the better of LFC.
fair enough.

There's no way you guys were going to get Silva in the summer. Valencia were looking for 30 million or more, and my beloved City were interested, so surely that would have caused one of two things, 1) Silva goes to City 2) Silva doesn't go to City, but City cause price of Silva to skyrocket.

Also, I thought the 20 million that was spent on Aquilani wasn't the smartest bit of business. I've never been a big fan of him, and I think that some of that money should have been spent to try and get Bent from Tottenham as cover for Torres.

dw13
11-07-2009, 08:06 PM
fair enough.

There's no way you guys were going to get Silva in the summer. Valencia were looking for 30 million or more, and my beloved City were interested, so surely that would have caused one of two things, 1) Silva goes to City 2) Silva doesn't go to City, but City cause price of Silva to skyrocket.

Also, I thought the 20 million that was spent on Aquilani wasn't the smartest bit of business. I've never been a big fan of him, and I think that some of that money should have been spent to try and get Bent from Tottenham as cover for Torres.

I actually thought we had a fair chance to either get Silva or see him stay at Valencia. We were "rumored" to be in the running for Tevez and he went for 20 right? So that meant we still had a "rumored" 20 laying around that we could of tried at Silva for, but obviously that money wasn't there.

As for Aquilani, I really like him. If he can keep the injury bug behind him, he should be a really good play in the PL. He is really strong on the ball, loves to get forward and can pass the ball with the best of them (obviously not Alonso good).

As for the cover striker, Bent would of been nice but he was looking to start somewhere to get himself back in Capello's radar. I'm not sure we would of switched with 2 up top with him or not, after-all Kuyt is a HORRIBLE winger and we still haven't switched to 2 strikers.

You been a City fan for awhile or since Given went? You are a big Given fan right? He has been awesome this year.

Glad to have another Footy fan around here :D

gagne21
11-07-2009, 08:15 PM
I actually thought we had a fair chance to either get Silva or see him stay at Valencia. We were "rumored" to be in the running for Tevez and he went for 20 right? So that meant we still had a "rumored" 20 laying around that we could of tried at Silva for, but obviously that money wasn't there.

As for Aquilani, I really like him. If he can keep the injury bug behind him, he should be a really good play in the PL. He is really strong on the ball, loves to get forward and can pass the ball with the best of them (obviously not Alonso good).

As for the cover striker, Bent would of been nice but he was looking to start somewhere to get himself back in Capello's radar. I'm not sure we would of switched with 2 up top with him or not, after-all Kuyt is a HORRIBLE winger and we still haven't switched to 2 strikers.

You been a City fan for awhile or since Given went? You are a big Given fan right? He has been awesome this year.

Glad to have another Footy fan around here :D
I've been supporting City since we were toiling around in the 2nd division. I was massively surprised when we were bought by the Sheik. It's so nice to see "little old City" threatening to break up the status quo, although I don't think Sparky is the man to lead us to that stage. I'll be happy with a top 6 finish this year, but with the squad that we have we should be contending for a champions league spot.

I am a huge Given fan though, IMO the best purchase that Hughes has made so far.

dw13
11-07-2009, 08:21 PM
I've been supporting City since we were toiling around in the 2nd division. I was massively surprised when we were bought by the Sheik. It's so nice to see "little old City" threatening to break up the status quo, although I don't think Sparky is the man to lead us to that stage. I'll be happy with a top 6 finish this year, but with the squad that we have we should be contending for a champions league spot.

I am a huge Given fan though, IMO the best purchase that Hughes has made so far.

I'll start by saying I'm not a fan of Hughes, but if City can get more consistent, and play better on the road, I think they should be fighting for a top 4 spot. I'm not so quick to rule Liverpool out, even though it's looking more and more likely Torres/Gerrard both could have surgery and that would shatter our hopes of UCL next year. What will UCL be without the most storied English side in the world? :\:blah:

I was a huge Steve McManaman fan from when I saw him play when I was younger (I think he actually finished his career at City), although now Gerrard has my heart. I think Steven is the best footballer in the world without question.

Anywho, fun talking soccer with you... gotta run!

suckerpuncher
11-10-2009, 04:47 PM
Very sad news.
Earler today Robert Enke apparently commited suicide.
Everybody here is really shocked and nobody knows why he did it. About 3 years ago he lost his 2-year old daughter and never seemed to have gotten over it. But nothing is know so far.

Before his viral infection earlier this season he was the front runner to become our goalie for the 2010 WC.

RIP.

dw13
11-10-2009, 04:52 PM
Very sad news.
Earler today Robert Enke apparently commited suicide.
Everybody here is really shocked and nobody knows why he did it. About 3 years ago he lost his 2-year old daughter and never seemed to have gotten over it. But nothing is know so far.

Before his viral infection earlier this season he was the front runner to become our goalie for the 2010 WC.

RIP.

That's really horrible to hear man, sorry to hear

dw13
11-14-2009, 07:22 PM
Sorry Phaneuf... you'll have it rough back in France down 1-0

phaneuf6
11-14-2009, 09:28 PM
I'll have to watch the game tomorrow, I had an exam today so I didn't catch it. Disappointing result for sure but I wasn't expecting to beat France. Was hoping for a draw at the very least at home. Ah well, Ireland always has shite draws for the WC, looks like it'll be another 4 until we can challenge again.

phaneuf6
11-18-2009, 03:50 PM
Great first half by Ireland. Keane puts the boys up one and the defence has played a simple, shutdown game. Hopefully we can continue that into the second half. France just has too much individual talent for Ireland to try anything but simple football. So far so good.

phaneuf6
11-18-2009, 04:16 PM
Some questionable non calls in the beginning of the second. Ireland are really putting the pressure on. Great ball movement.

dw13
11-18-2009, 04:45 PM
Great game going on thus far with your boys! Huge so far. Going to be a fun finish.

Great to see Russia get knocked out!

(Disappointing second half for USA)

dw13
11-18-2009, 04:49 PM
PS: Really pulling for your boys here Conor. France getting KO'd, with Russia.. USA could very possibly find a top 8 seed

phaneuf6
11-18-2009, 04:55 PM
Extra time now. 1-1 aggregate after 'two' games. Ireland probably should've scored at least 2 in that second half.

dw13
11-18-2009, 04:57 PM
Extra time now. 1-1 aggregate after 'two' games. Ireland probably should've scored at least 2 in that second half.

At the least 2, they have played extremely well. Would be a shame to lose it here. I'm ready for extra time

Cornholio
11-18-2009, 05:00 PM
Hopfully, Ireland is gonna kick the frenchs' butt!

dw13
11-18-2009, 05:07 PM
That either HAS to be a PK or a booking for Anelka dive. The ref has done well all game though, and that was the right call

dw13
11-18-2009, 05:13 PM
Oh man. Heartbreak, as soon as I said the ref has been good all game. Blatant handball from Henry, and heartbreak for the Irish. They still have time

Cornholio
11-18-2009, 05:15 PM
fuck it!
i haven't seen the goal, was it really a handball??

dw13
11-18-2009, 05:17 PM
fuck it!
i haven't seen the goal, was it really a handball??

Definite handball by Henry to keep it in and then play the ball to Gallas

phaneuf6
11-18-2009, 05:33 PM
I can't even say how pissed off i am right now at that missed call.

gagne21
11-18-2009, 06:02 PM
Slovenia!!!!!!!!!!

phaneuf6
11-18-2009, 06:06 PM
Slovenia!!!!!!!!!!

Wish I could be cellying with you bro but I'm just totally gutted after that exhibition of refereeing. I just lost a ton of respect for Henry. Even Gallas didn't celebrate his goal.

dw13
11-18-2009, 06:10 PM
Wish I could be cellying with you bro but I'm just totally gutted after that exhibition of refereeing. I just lost a ton of respect for Henry. Even Gallas didn't celebrate his goal.

You can't lose respect for Henry for celebrating. You play until the whistle, it wasn't his fault the ref missed it. It hurts worse because Ireland needed to capitalize on their chances in the second half, didn't, and got stung for it.

Tough break, thats for sure.

phaneuf6
11-18-2009, 06:22 PM
You can't lose respect for Henry for celebrating. You play until the whistle, it wasn't his fault the ref missed it. It hurts worse because Ireland needed to capitalize on their chances in the second half, didn't, and got stung for it.

Tough break, thats for sure.

I agree 100% that Ireland kind of shot themselves in the foot when they missed 3 golden scoring opportunities in the 2nd. Keane's second touch was too hard on his chance, Doyle was stopped by a good save, and I forget who had the cross and tons of time and just rocketed it over. Playing a team like France in France, you have to bury those chances.

My beef is mainly just coming from my emotions after this game right now but Henry is obviously a world class player, we all know that. Seeing him celebrate like he did when, if it was a play against him he'd be outraged, kind of disgusted me.

dw13
11-18-2009, 06:24 PM
I can imagine your fusteration right now Conor, without a doubt. The whole country must be absolutely shredded right now

gagne21
11-18-2009, 06:35 PM
is anyone surprised that France got the "lucky" break. Unfortunately, FIFA is one of the most corrupt sports organizations around, and one of its top guys (President of UEFA) Michel Platini is French. Platini has been known to be controversial and obviously wanted to see the big guns go through (this is easily seen by the bogus as fuck ranking system for the qualifying playoffs) - why the fuck should teams be ranked (Russia, France, Portugal, Greece) so that they don't play each other. That's horseshit to the highest degree. Platini pretty much made this shit up so that the big teams get an easy playoff matchup. That's the end of my rant, but I can honestly say that I'm not surprised at all by that shit.

Here's the proof.

http://i45.tinypic.com/jrbn1g.jpg

edited -got my names mixed up

dw13
11-18-2009, 06:42 PM
I won't get into anything like that, but the ranking system for the playoff was stupid as hell, and it was a horrible break on the handball.

phaneuf6
11-18-2009, 10:26 PM
The country is in disarray. All my relatives and friends Facebook status's are filled with comments of hate for the French, the officials, FIFA, etc. Ah well..

phaneuf6
11-18-2009, 10:39 PM
"I will be honest, it was a hand ball. But I'm not the ref," Henry said. "I played it. The ref allowed it. That's a question you should ask him."

http://tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=298864

That's fair enough. You can't blame him for playing the whistle. The celly was just a kick in the balls when we (the fans) were already down though.

gagne21
11-18-2009, 10:43 PM
http://tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=298864

That's fair enough. You can't blame him for playing the whistle. The celly was just a kick in the balls when we (the fans) were already down though.

yes you can, Henry is a cunt, and I'm not even Irish. It is disgraceful that he would fuckin' bring the ball inbounds with his hand like that. I remember once De Rossi on Roma scored a goal with his hand and he went to the ref to tell him it shouldn't count. Now, most Italians I know are dodgey fuckers, but if an eyetalian has the honor (whatever you want to call it) to say that, you'd hope a reputable figure like Henry (who is considered an ambassador of the game might do the same).

Here's the recap of the game on the FIFA website. I love how there's no mention of the handball or anything. Corrupt bastards.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=1136804.html#gallas+breaks+irish+hearts

phaneuf6
11-18-2009, 10:49 PM
yes you can, Henry is a cunt, and I'm not even Irish. It is disgraceful that he would fuckin' bring the ball inbounds with his hand like that. I remember once De Rossi on Roma scored a goal with his hand and he went to the ref to tell him it shouldn't count. Now, most Italians I know are dodgey fuckers, but if an eyetalian has the honor (whatever you want to call it) to say that, you'd hope a reputable figure like Henry (who is considered an ambassador of the game might do the same).

Here's the recap of the game on the FIFA website. I love how there's no mention of the handball or anything. Corrupt bastards.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=1136804.html#gallas+breaks+irish+hearts

That's what I was thinking wth my earlier post. :beer:

MTR
11-19-2009, 10:45 AM
Henry needs to punished and something needs to be done about that game. Utter crap.

phaneuf6
11-19-2009, 04:11 PM
Irish Government call for rematch.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1119/france_ireland.html

dw13
11-19-2009, 07:09 PM
Henry needs to punished and something needs to be done about that game. Utter crap.

Just because of how big the game was, doesn't mean there needs to be an overhaul. It was a handball and it was an accident. On slow mo it makes it look on purpose but his arm was stuck forward, it struck it and he kept playing. The ref could be disciplined but nothing more. Horrible break for the Irish though.

dw13
11-20-2009, 10:05 AM
Thierry Henry has conceded that Republic of Ireland "definitely deserve" to qualify for the World Cup finals and has backed calls for a replay, even though FIFA have already ruled out such a scenario.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=701150&sec=worldcup2010&cc=5901

Henry agrees with the reply suggestion

MTR
11-20-2009, 10:46 AM
Not asking for an overhaul. Just saying that that particular game should be replayed. I am not for replays but I think they should consider having two more refs involved. One at the goal on each end to watch for stuff like whether the ball crosses the plane of the goal or not and to help make a call like the handball when the main ref misses it due to his angle.

I honestly don't buy the instinct bit by Henry. Not really knocking him overall but I just don't by that it was an accident. At this point in his career something like that should not happen in my view. Just my view on it though. Which is why I reacted and said he should be punished which I admit was a bit much on my part there.

Just bad officiating on that play all the way around. Two guys offiside and Henry handles the ball. Linesman missed the offside. Ref missed the handball. Not good. Just watching that play multiple times in real time and in slow motion and at various angles it just still pisses me off that something that obvious was missed.

narduch
11-20-2009, 10:51 AM
I wouldn't mind a replay, but I can understand why FIFA didn't do it. Imagine the can of worms that would start.

And soccer isn't alone on this. How many times to we see bad officiating in all professional sports? Even the Stanley Cup has been decided on terrible calls, just ask Sabre fans.

dw13
11-20-2009, 11:37 AM
I don't think they should replay the game, and I don't think they will. Everyone obviously feels bad for the Irish though

b_illin
11-20-2009, 02:16 PM
Nobody seems to be suggesting the obvious - can the fucking referees!

phaneuf6
11-20-2009, 02:40 PM

I think that's because every referee in every sport makes a mistake. It just so happens that this one came at a pretty unfortunate time for the Irish team. Mistakes are always bound to happen when it comes to human judgment. I think this is just another reason for video replay in soccer.

b_illin
11-20-2009, 03:30 PM
I think that's because every referee in every sport makes a mistake. It just so happens that this one came at a pretty unfortunate time for the Irish team. Mistakes are always bound to happen when it comes to human judgment. I think this is just another reason for video replay in soccer.

Double offside and a handball is more than a simple 'mistake' though.

dw13
11-20-2009, 03:31 PM
Double offside and a handball is more than a simple 'mistake' though.

Uhhh.. no one was offside.

phaneuf6
11-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Uhhh.. no one was offside.

2 players were.

MTR
11-20-2009, 04:57 PM

People will make mistakes. Very true. But this was just plain outright bad.

I think I read somewhere this was the same ref that actually missed a goal that Brazil scored against the US in the Confederation Cup final.

I don't want video replay though. Disrupts the game too much. Just had some other refs on the end lines or do like we used to do when I played. Just have two refs on the field plus the linesmen. That way the ref is not running all over the place and better chance of being in position to see something.

MTR
11-20-2009, 04:58 PM

I don't think they should be canned but someone needs to review their performance in this game if that is something not already being done. See if they were in good positions, see if they could have made the correct call, etc.

suckerpuncher
11-20-2009, 05:31 PM
People will make mistakes. Very true. But this was just plain outright bad.

I think I read somewhere this was the same ref that actually missed a goal that Brazil scored against the US in the Confederation Cup final.

I don't want video replay though. Disrupts the game too much. Just had some other refs on the end lines or do like we used to do when I played. Just have two refs on the field plus the linesmen. That way the ref is not running all over the place and better chance of being in position to see something.

That's what the UEFA is testing right now in the Europa League. But as always UEFA and FIFA are 2 different things and normally the FIFA is slower and more hesistant when it comes to changes.
But given the importance of those last qualifying playoff matches they should have used in each of them anyway.

But the biggest mistake by the ref was not to ask Henry whether he used his hand or not.
If there are 11 Irish players storming at the ref and everyones says Henry used his hand the least the ref should do is ask the player about it.
If Henry is a great player he would have said yes. But if he would have said no the FIFA would actually been able to suspend him for at least the next 2 games which would have been the first 2 matches for France in South Africa at the 2010 World Cup.
But because the ref didn't bothered to ask there will be no punishment.

I remember a couple of years ago here in Germany Klose went down in the box and the ref said penalty. But after a bunch of opposing players complained the ref asked Klose and he said that it was not a foul but rather normal contact and he just lost his balance and so the ref reversed his decision. Granted Klose's team was up by 2 or 3 goals already so it was easier for him to say the truth but he did it nonetheless.

And this is not the first time a game was decided by a bad decision by one of the officials and it won't be the last.
Needless to remember everyone about the incident in 1966 were we got screwed by a Swiss official and his Soviet linesman. :mad:

But tihs France/Ireland thing is already yesterdays news. Right now it's all about the new betting scandal.
Interestingly enough news broke out shortly before a decision was expected if the German betting market finally will be opened and liberated or if it stays a monoply and the state continues to get a big share. :scared:

dw13
11-20-2009, 05:43 PM
Great post Sucker, right on

dw13
12-02-2009, 10:37 AM
Extremely excited for the World Cup draw.

suckerpuncher
12-02-2009, 11:28 AM
The worst case scenario for us would probably be a in a group with France (or Portugal), Ivory Coast and Mexico.

But so far we alwys got the luck of the draw. Although some said 4 years ago the draw was rigged. Some of the balls may have been hot and some cold to differ between the easier and harder teams in each pot. :rolleyes: :D

dw13
12-02-2009, 11:33 AM
The worst case scenario for us would probably be a in a group with France (or Portugal), Ivory Coast and Mexico.

But so far we alwys got the luck of the draw. Although some said 4 years ago the draw was rigged. Some of the balls may have been hot and some cold to differ between the easier and harder teams in each pot. :rolleyes: :D

I'll take:

Italy, USA, Algeria, Slovkia or Greece :D

Knowing the USA luck it'll be more like:

Brazil, USA, Ivory Coast, France :\

dw13
12-02-2009, 11:43 AM
PS: I just heard they won't pick up on what UEFA is trying with the extra man on the goal lines. Good lord FIFA... LEARN.

MTR
12-03-2009, 10:45 AM
I know. After that Ireland/France match you would think that would have been an easy decision. What more testing do you need to do. If there was a man there the call is made. They are already been using it in Europe so why not go ahead and use it for international play. Stupid call.

Interesting that they did not take into consideration past cup performances for seeding.

dw13
12-03-2009, 11:45 AM
I like how they did it for seedings, honestly.

Man, I'm sweating bullets leading up to tomorrow! I hope somehow we pull the host South Africa out of the first pot...

MTR
12-03-2009, 11:50 AM
I am happy with the way they did the seedings. It was just interesting they went away from that after using it in their formula in the past.

Should be an interesting draw tomorrow for sure.

dw13
12-03-2009, 11:58 AM
I am happy with the way they did the seedings. It was just interesting they went away from that after using it in their formula in the past.

Should be an interesting draw tomorrow for sure.

:beer::beer:

phaneuf6
12-03-2009, 02:40 PM
REPLAY GRANTED BETWEEN IRELAND AND FRANCE!!! THE PITCH FOR THE GAME:

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/3539/letztechance1.jpg

dw13
12-03-2009, 07:04 PM
I'm actually more nervous about the draw tomorrow than I am about the Jets tonight, Gators on Saturday.

Give us some luck!!!!!

dw13
12-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Opening with England will be a fun match.. and we have Algeria and Slovenia round out the group. I like it, England and USA both should be favorites to go through.

Germany should be favored, but has some work to do with Ghana, Aussy and Serbia. (We could also see you in the KO stage if we get 2nd and you top yours)

Brazil, Ivory Coast and Portugal is the killer of the groups!

gagne21
12-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Slovenia is going to go through with England in that group. I'm calling it.

dw13
12-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Slovenia is going to go through with England in that group. I'm calling it.

That's really the game I look at. The opener will be tough, but win or lose, we need to beat both Algeria and Slovenia obviously. I'll take our chances though

phaneuf6
12-04-2009, 02:17 PM
C'mon Slovenia.

dw13
12-04-2009, 02:20 PM
C'mon Slovenia.

I guess when your countries Soccer rates below the likes of Haiti, Jamaica and Cuba, it's real easy to go against the USA :lol:

phaneuf6
12-04-2009, 02:22 PM
I guess when your countries Soccer rates below the likes of Haiti, Jamaica and Cuba, it's real easy to go against the USA :lol:

Aha, I'm a Netherlands supporter usually in the World Cup, so I'll be pulling for them. But I've been made an honorary Slovenia, as has my dad, for the WC by gagne21 so I'll be rooting for them too. :lol:

dw13
12-04-2009, 02:24 PM
Aha, I'm a Netherlands supporter usually in the World Cup, so I'll be pulling for them. But I've been made an honorary Slovenia, as has my dad, for the WC by gagne21 so I'll be rooting for them too. :lol:

Gives me something to look forward to after we thrash them and move onto the Knockout stage. :beer:

phaneuf6
12-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Gives me something to look forward to after we thrash them and move onto the Knockout stage. :beer:

Don't worry you can join us when they move on in the group :)

MTR
12-04-2009, 03:00 PM
Nice draw for the US. Should advance. Which of course looks like we would then play Germany as already pointed out. We would avoid the top for teams in the rankings until the semi-finals if we were to get that far though. All four on the other side of the bracket. :D

Feel sorry for Ivory Coast. Another group of death for them.

suckerpuncher
12-04-2009, 04:15 PM
For some reasons we didn't get one of the easy groups this time but still doable. It could have been much worse.

And it doesn't matter who we get in the knockout stage since we have to be able to deafeat anybody in order to finally bring World Cup #4 home to Germany. :lol:

And I still don't understand why bokkies have England (before this draw) at +400 but us as +500 to win it all.
England has always been pathetic at World Cups in the past and there's nothing that shows me that this will change soon.

They shouldn't even have been in pot 1 as seeded team to begin with.
But FIFA had to change the procedure on how to decide who's a seeded team and go by recent rankings and not by past results in order to not have France as a seeded team after that controversy. :$

Enland just like the Netherlands have great individual players but they just can't stay together and play well as a team.
And even if Spain was finally able to win someting that doesn't mean those other 2 will be able to pull of the same thing. Those guys just don't have what it takes to be a great team.

dw13
12-07-2009, 01:39 PM
Things are coming apart for Liverpool. The locker room seems to have less hope than us fans, and that hurts. We are still Liverpool FC, the greatest club in the world and we better work to get back into the Top 4 and go win that Europa League.

Anfield will be bouncing Sunday vs. Arsenal

suckerpuncher
12-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Yeah!!!

I can't believe Bayern was able to pull off a win against Juve and in Italy.
And even better a 4-1 victory. Probably the best game under van Gaal so far. I just wish they would also play that style of soccer and not his usual lame ass possession game.

dw13
12-08-2009, 05:32 PM
Especially after going down 1-0. Very impressed. I was flicking games, but watched a bit of yours. Good game from Bayern

dw13
12-08-2009, 05:41 PM
I'm pretty excited to finally see Aquilani get a run out tomorrow. Meaningless game or not, it'll be good to see him in the first team for an extended period of time. I doubt he makes the team for Sunday, but we'll see

MTR
12-09-2009, 09:32 AM
Crap. The USL is suing three of the teams that bolted to the new NASL. Not that I don't blame them per say since the teams were under contract to play there this up coming season but not good considering how FIFA feels about lawsuits and such.

dw13
12-09-2009, 04:37 PM
We were utter shit in the Champions League this year and I'm glad theres no more of it, honestly after today. 3 late goals that absolutely blew our hopes of anything apart (not that we were playing for anything today).

Aquilani got the start, played decently but can already tell he isn't a pure match winner. He supplies some nice runs into the box, good one touch passing and solid vision. I doubt we see him Sunday in the first 11.

Torres was back, was a threat and showed how Kuyt is just shit this year. Welcome back Nando, he will be needed against the Gunners.

Pacheco got a run out, The Kid of the future for me. Good to see him

dw13
12-14-2009, 07:06 PM
"We do not have the consistency or strength in depth in the squad," Ballack told Kicker magazine. "We have been too weak, particularly in friendlies, to be able to say that we have the class to beat everybody else."

What do you think sucker?

suckerpuncher
12-15-2009, 02:07 PM
He's right to a certain degree.

Our friendly matches are very often ugly to watch.
But there are reasons for it. For once the coaching staff tries to test out new players and also new tactical schemes. And subbing up to 7 guys in the second half won't help the players to get used to it. Especially if you do a substitution like every 5 minutes in the second half and not bring them in all at once.
How should the get used to each other if they never play with each other for a longer period of time?

And let's not forget the most important thing. Payers are ordered by their club not to play at 100% in friedlies and especially not to get hurt. So they don't give it there all on Wednesdays if they have important league matche coming up on Saturdays.

But on the other side everytime there's something at stake the team shows up and plays on a different level.
And even though our group isn't particuallrly easy I think we still got the right opponent at the right time. We start out with the "easiest" (Australia) and get The "toughest" (Serbia) in game 3.
And from that point on the team should be in the right rhythm to take on anybody.

And of course we shouldn't leave out Ballack's track record. He hasn't really won anything so far but he's coming in 2nd a lot. So maybe he just doesn't know what it's like to be a winner anymore. And his play over the last couple of years wasn't brilliant either. At least not against the big nations.

And with the exception of '06 we are rarely mentioned as one of the top favorites but we still managed to put up a good show. Like in '02 were we came in second and nobody thought we'd make past the round of last 16 before the World Cup started. Or the EURO '96. Not to mention '74 or '54. Although that was before my time.
If you can learn one thing from this then it's the fact that the best players rarely win.

There's still a lot of time left and we have proven in the past that we are a tournament team and can rise by the occasion. And it's also not bad to be the "underdog" and have the other teams thinking we are easy pickings. They will be in for surprise.

dw13
12-15-2009, 04:32 PM
Right on. I think Germany is as dangerous as anyone in the tournament, without question.

In other news: The Blue side of Merseytown (Everton) is interesting in signing Donovan on loan. I'd be ecstatic for Landon, and he would not only play in the PL but in the Europa. Awesome stuff

suckerpuncher
12-15-2009, 05:36 PM
I'm not sure about Donovan. When he played last year for Bayern he was average at best but nothing spectacular. And a couple of years before that in Leverkusen.
And now he's the MVP of the MLS.

Either he made a big step forward or he had a downtime in Munich or the MLS is that weak compared to the European leagues. Or maybe a mixture of all 3 of those things.
With all due respesct I personally would tend towards a heavy dose of option 3 mixed with a little bit of options 1 and 2. :lol:

But it would be interesting to see what he can do in the PL.

MTR
12-16-2009, 01:14 PM
I think him not doing well was a combination of things. I think he has gotten better, more mature(which honestly was a big issue the last two times because of homesickness), and I think playing in England may end up being a better fit for him. I say lets wait and see at this point.

dw13
12-16-2009, 01:37 PM
I'm not sure about Donovan. When he played last year for Bayern he was average at best but nothing spectacular. And a couple of years before that in Leverkusen.
And now he's the MVP of the MLS.

Either he made a big step forward or he had a downtime in Munich or the MLS is that weak compared to the European leagues. Or maybe a mixture of all 3 of those things.
With all due respesct I personally would tend towards a heavy dose of option 3 mixed with a little bit of options 1 and 2. :lol:

But it would be interesting to see what he can do in the PL.

How much of him did you really see at Bayern though? It was more than a couple years before that when he was at Liverkusen, he was a young boy then.

England fits his style of play better I'd say, not to mention he has another American on the roster with him so that'll make settling in over there much easier, which I think plays a huge role in this whole thing.

It isn't like Donovan doesn't succeed nationally, it isn't just what he does in the MLS. As a matter of fact, I don't even look at what he does in the MLS, I look at his National Team performances and realize this kid does have what it takes to play in a bigger league.

We'll see, he might not have a huge impact, but he isn't over his head over there.

phaneuf6
12-16-2009, 06:08 PM
MLS soccer sucks.

MTR
12-17-2009, 09:47 AM
It may not be on the level as Europe or South America but overall it does not really suck. I have seen some good games and some teams have done decent in competitions against Mexican sides and South American sides. Still a long ways to come but I hate seeing blanket statements like that.

phaneuf6
12-17-2009, 10:11 AM
It may not be on the level as Europe or South America but overall it does not really suck. I have seen some good games and some teams have done decent in competitions against Mexican sides and South American sides. Still a long ways to come but I hate seeing blanket statements like that.

Sure you have a couple good teams in the league, but after that its barely a level about highschool soccer. Really painful to watch sometimes when simple plays can't be executed. There are a handful of good players but after that there's a lot of hype over guys that aren't all that good. When Danny Dichio landed in Toronto it was like the saviour had arrived, and he's not even that good.

MTR
12-17-2009, 02:52 PM
Again with the blanket statements of no better than high school soccer. Give me a break. It has a way to go but the league continues to improve and more talents players come over and come up the ranks. Blanket statements like it sucks and not better than high school are ignorant.

Sorry but this is a sore spot with me when I hear it all the time and some of the people that I hear from never watch a game. Obviously you watch or have watched though but still doesn't change the fact that the league is not that bad.

dw13
12-17-2009, 02:57 PM
I agree MTR. Most people who say that haven't watched an MLS game, or played soccer above youth ranks. MLS might not be a particularly high level of soccer, but its growing. College soccer has become more and more profound with better coaches and solid players, but the fact of the matter is, most don't make it through college without turning pro in the States, or going overseas.

The MLS has so much room to grow it isn't even funny, I'm not a fan of how many teams they have / are expanding to though. The talent isn't there, I'd like to see less teams with more talent on those teams.

suckerpuncher
12-18-2009, 06:53 AM
The UCL draw for trhe round of last 16 just concluded:

Stuttgart vs. Barcelona
Olympiakos vs. Bordeaux
Inter vs. Chelsea
Bayern vs. Fiorentina
CSKA vs. Sevilla
Lyon vs. Real
Porto vs. Arsenal
Milan vs. ManU

First of all I'm happy that Bayern dodged the bullets and got probably the "easiest" of alll group winners. Still not an easy draw per se but managable.

The other German club got probably the toughest opponent in Barca and it seems very likely that Stuttgart won't advance.

And there are some very interesting games. Milan vs ManU or Inter vs. Real.

dw13
12-18-2009, 09:51 AM
Who would of guessed that Milan with Beckham would get ManU and Inter would draw Chelsea?

Too predictable.

dw13
12-18-2009, 09:55 AM
We drew Unirea Uzriceni for Europa KO Stage.

gagne21
12-19-2009, 09:51 AM
man, everytime I think '"goddamn City is brutal," Liverpool come out and lose a shocker.

Reports are that Hughesy is gone after today's match, regardless of the result and that Roberto Mancini is going to take over. If that's true, I'm pretty happy - Mancini is class.

dw13
12-19-2009, 02:40 PM
man, everytime I think '"goddamn City is brutal," Liverpool come out and lose a shocker.

Reports are that Hughesy is gone after today's match, regardless of the result and that Roberto Mancini is going to take over. If that's true, I'm pretty happy - Mancini is class.

:lol:

dw13
12-29-2009, 04:43 PM
Liverpool's Number 9.. simply the best in the world.

Fernando Torres.

gagne21
01-11-2010, 05:35 PM
City are looking fuckin' solid. Carlos with the hat-trick tonight, the guy has 11 goals in his last 9 games.

Fergie sign him up...you cunt.

dw13
01-11-2010, 06:05 PM
City are looking fuckin' solid. Carlos with the hat-trick tonight, the guy has 11 goals in his last 9 games.

Fergie sign him up...you cunt.

Tevez is in flying form.

They don't impress me in the back though. Still concede too much.

gagne21
01-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Tevez is in flying form.

They don't impress me in the back though. Still concede too much.

only have conceded 1 in the past 4, with Toure, Lescott, Bridge and Onouha out. Way more organized than we were under Hughesy.

Once we get SWP, Ade, Ireland and those 4 defenders back we should be in top form. Looking good for a Champ's league spot next season.

dw13
01-11-2010, 06:51 PM
only have conceded 1 in the past 4, with Toure, Lescott, Bridge and Onouha out. Way more organized than we were under Hughesy.

Once we get SWP, Ade, Ireland and those 4 defenders back we should be in top form. Looking good for a Champ's league spot next season.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Richards or even Viera take over at centre back. Lescott is so overrated it's pretty sick.

I like City's chances. I also like the chances of United dropping alot of points from here til the end of the season. (Same with Arsenal if Cesc doesn't stay fit).

Maxi Rodriguez helps Liverpool, who obviously shouldn't be counted out.

suckerpuncher
01-12-2010, 04:20 PM
Seem to be pretty hard times for Liverpool right now.
Due to their ongoing financial troubles you read now more and more often that Rafa wouldn't oppose a possible Torres deal in order to get the finances back in check.

That would be a huge blow for them.

dw13
01-12-2010, 04:33 PM
Seem to be pretty hard times for Liverpool right now.
Due to their ongoing financial troubles you read now more and more often that Rafa wouldn't oppose a possible Torres deal in order to get the finances back in check.

That would be a huge blow for them.

Can't see Torres leaving, definitely not to another English club. He is under contract so after all is said and done, he has the say if he leaves or not. I could be wrong though, obviously.

The owners are fuckers, but if we (and I think we will) get back into the top 4, Liverpool will keep everyone and look to spend in the summer time.

This second half of the league is more vital then ever, or the Summer could have alot more turmoil in Merseyside.

dw13
01-12-2010, 08:36 PM
Sounds like Marouane Chamakh has signed his pre-contract with Liverpool for the summer when he becomes free. This would be a huge signee. From what I've seen of him, I rate him highly.. he looks to love to pass, and he is awesome in the air.

I've seen a bit of him since I heard his name surrounded with major English clubs. Did you see him play against Bayern in the Champions League Sucker? If so, what did you think?

gagne21
01-12-2010, 09:11 PM
Can't see Torres leaving, definitely not to another English club. He is under contract so after all is said and done, he has the say if he leaves or not. I could be wrong though, obviously.

The owners are fuckers, but if we (and I think we will) get back into the top 4, Liverpool will keep everyone and look to spend in the summer time.

This second half of the league is more vital then ever, or the Summer could have alot more turmoil in Merseyside.

I think you're being extremely optimistic. You guys are already in a hole, and the squads ahead of you like Spurs and to a lesser extent Villa, have a better rounded (deeper) squad. Chelsea, Arsenal and ManUre are pretty much locks for top 4 and City should finish in the 3rd-4th spot (City and United battling for 3rd). My predictions for the top 6 come years end is:

Chelsea
Arsenal
City
ManUre
Spurs
Red Dippers
Villa

I really think we are going to start to see the beginning of the end for Liverpool and United. Without the Champs league money you guys are toast. Really the only thing you've got going for you is Torres and Gerrard and I wouldn't be shocked if one or both of them are gone within the next 2-3 transfer windows if you lose CL position. United are in a just as bad situation, although they have a bit more going for them due to the strength of their squad (which is still pretty mediocre compared to the past 3-5 years). The Glazers have completely fucked United up are now looking at around 700 million dollars of debt.

The tides are turning in the EPL and I've gotta say it's a great fuckin' time to be a City fan. Looking at the situations at Liverpool and United, I really feel fortunate that we've got the best owner in all of football. The Sheikh has paid off all of our debts and all the money we've spent has essentially been a gift to the club (hasn't taken out loans against the club to buy players). We just struck a deal with Sporting Lisbon so that we get first priority on all of their players, a position United used to have (how they got Ronaldo).

dw13
01-12-2010, 09:18 PM
I think you're being extremely optimistic. You guys are already in a hole, and the squads ahead of you like Spurs and to a lesser extent Villa, have a better rounded (deeper) squad. Chelsea, Arsenal and ManUre are pretty much locks for top 4 and City should finish in the 3rd-4th spot (City and United battling for 3rd). My predictions for the top 6 come years end is:

Chelsea
Arsenal
City
ManUre
Spurs
Red Dippers
Villa

I really think we are going to start to see the beginning of the end for Liverpool and United. Without the Champs league money you guys are toast. Really the only thing you've got going for you is Torres and Gerrard and I wouldn't be shocked if one or both of them are gone within the next 2-3 transfer windows if you lose CL position. United are in a just as bad situation, although they have a bit more going for them due to the strength of their squad (which is still pretty mediocre compared to the past 3-5 years). The Glazers have completely fucked United up are now looking at around 700 million dollars of debt.

The tides are turning in the EPL and I've gotta say it's a great fuckin' time to be a City fan. Looking at the situations at Liverpool and United, I really feel fortunate that we've got the best owner in all of football. The Sheikh has paid off all of our debts and all the money we've spent has essentially been a gift to the club (hasn't taken out loans against the club to buy players). We just struck a deal with Sporting Lisbon so that we get first priority on all of their players, a position United used to have (how they got Ronaldo).

Please let it play out first. There really is no need to count out Liverpool with a whole half of the season to be played, especially with how up and down the whole league has been this year. If you think a team like the Spurs and Villa are not going to go through tough times, then I don't know what to tell you.

ManU doesn't have the team this year, and I could see (it's already happening) them hitting a big time low and drop alot of points right now. Arsenal always struggles (it's already started happening) in January/February, they are young and with injuries they could drop very quickly.

ManCity, well, I know you're a City fan, but there is some weak spots in that club. I'm not going to get into it, I think City are a real threat but this game isn't played on paper. PS: How long have you actually been a City fan?

As for Liverpool, to say we have just Gerrard and Torres is so stereotypical :lol: People said that last year as well, blah blah, it's fine if that's all you have to say. We have much more than that. Mark Hughes wanted to buy Benayoun for like 20M. Kuyt has been out of form this season but is a good player. Mascherano is the best at what he does, and Aquilani is still settling into England. Shay Given is the 2nd best keeper in the PL, behind Pepe Reina, argue that all you want.

Liverpool doesn't do things the easy way, ever. We have the experience in the squad, and the talent to be fine. This league is FAR from over. All it'll take is a good run of form for any team to get up there.

It'll be a fun second half of the season, and it shows that we still have some money if the Americans will spend it. Getting Chamakh to a precontract is a very good sign, IMO.

Like I said, just go ahead and count out Liverpool. I'm sure everyone did in Istanbul too. :)

If I'm picking right now:

Chelsea
City
Liverpool
Arsenal
United
Villa
Spurs

But all I have to say about the above, is that City is the only threat into the top 4. Villa and Spurs will flounder.

gagne21
01-12-2010, 10:08 PM
Please let it play out first. There really is no need to count out Liverpool with a whole half of the season to be played, especially with how up and down the whole league has been this year. If you think a team like the Spurs and Villa are not going to go through tough times, then I don't know what to tell you.

ManU doesn't have the team this year, and I could see (it's already happening) them hitting a big time low and drop alot of points right now. Arsenal always struggles (it's already started happening) in January/February, they are young and with injuries they could drop very quickly.

ManCity, well, I know you're a City fan, but there is some weak spots in that club. I'm not going to get into it, I think City are a real threat but this game isn't played on paper. PS: How long have you actually been a City fan?

As for Liverpool, to say we have just Gerrard and Torres is so stereotypical :lol: People said that last year as well, blah blah, it's fine if that's all you have to say. We have much more than that. Mark Hughes wanted to buy Benayoun for like 20M. Kuyt has been out of form this season but is a good player. Mascherano is the best at what he does, and Aquilani is still settling into England. Shay Given is the 2nd best keeper in the PL, behind Pepe Reina, argue that all you want.

Liverpool doesn't do things the easy way, ever. We have the experience in the squad, and the talent to be fine. This league is FAR from over. All it'll take is a good run of form for any team to get up there.

It'll be a fun second half of the season, and it shows that we still have some money if the Americans will spend it. Getting Chamakh to a precontract is a very good sign, IMO.

Like I said, just go ahead and count out Liverpool. I'm sure everyone did in Istanbul too. :)

If I'm picking right now:

Chelsea
City
Liverpool
Arsenal
United
Villa
Spurs

But all I have to say about the above, is that City is the only threat into the top 4. Villa and Spurs will flounder.

I've been supporting City since we were in the the third division - the Gillingham vs. City promotion game in '99 to be exact. Probably the most epic comeback in English league history.

I have no doubt Spurs or Villa will go through tough times but they have the squad to deal with it, and I can't see them losing some shockers like you guys have. I honestly don't see how you can attribute your table position to tough times. You've been downright shit for the majority of the first part of the season. Apart from the United game (and recently - which was the most boring/sloppy match I've watched all year against Villa) you guys haven't had a good result against a good squad. You've lost some absolute shockers and I don't see how you can be so sure that Rafa can turn it around. Pretty much every team that you need to catch, you play away in the second part of the season (City, Arsenal, United).

I also don't see how you can say that Arsenal will drop off with injuries. They've been playing with one of the best strikers in the league (as much as I hate the cunt) for the latter part of the season and injuries are more of a concern to Liverpool (namely Torres) than they are for the Gunners. I like Arsenal to finish ahead of City and United this season.

I'm curious to hear about your thoughts on City. I don't get the whole on paper part of your comment. I think you're alluding to the fact that we pretty much have the most talented squad in the league next to Chelsea and maybe Arsenal. We've lost twice this year (the game against Utd was a farce and should have been a draw) - less than anyone in the league. And if it weren't for the 7 straight draws - where Hughes just totally lost the plot we'd surely be battling for first spot. Under Mancini we've looked solid at the back and you can tell the defenders are looking way more organized and confident. We're also missing Ireland, Ade, Toure, Lescott, SWP, Onuha and Bridge, so when these guys come back things will only go up. We've got the best attacking options in the league and IMO our only weaknesses are the lack of cover for Stevie Ireland - if he's out we essentially have no creative midfield option and our lack of a solid LB. I'd also argue that Given would give Reina a run for top goalie in the Prem and De Jong a run at Masch for top holding mid in the league.

Finally, it may be stereotypical to say Liverpool are just Gerrard and Torres but that is pretty much the truth. Say what you want about Kuyt (who I feel is overrated), and Benayoun (I like the guy but he isn't a world-beater). I don't think Aquilani is going to be the savior a lot of you Reds think he will be. He's a good player, but I can't see him becoming too much of a difference maker for you guys. This season, when one of either Stevie or Torres (or both) are out of the lineup you guys are going to have a hard time getting results.

dw13
01-12-2010, 10:42 PM
I'll jump right into my thoughts on City, because we obviously have different views of the overrated Arsenal.

I think City (as you saw by me putting them 2nd to finish the year) is among the best in the PL. I think you'll see Veira play at centre back at times and partner with Kolo Toure, because frankly, Lescott is shit. I also think that Mancini better find an 11 he likes and not tinker with it TOO much, no 4-5 change squads every league game. I know he's new, so he's finding what he likes and waiting to run with that.

City's outside backs are going to struggle. Micah Richards isn't a built outside back, Wayne Bridge when fit is decent.

Tevez has been the life of City. I don't rate Adebayor much really other than a target man. I think Robinho can't play game after game in the English league, he is too fragile. Bellamy should be a bench player.

The league is up in the air man, there is no squad (maybe outside Chelsea) that is completely unbeatable by any of the mid/low table squads. You rate Arsenal much higher than I do. I think Cesc and Arshavin are wonderful, but they are young and they always struggle this time of year, especially in February when the going gets tough.

Now, as for Liverpool and my hopes. We don't have Champions League football to worry about, so all focus will/should be on the league. We have lost some horrible games this year, no excusing that but with 54 points still to be had, and 9 points back from 3rd spot.. including playing Arsenal, City, United, etc. That means it's 6 points back with a win, out of a possible 51. That isn't having to beat the world to get back into position.

Torres and Gerrard both mean a ton to this club (by the way, Gerrards form has been complete shit, I want him dropped against Reading tomorrow), but you could say that about a ton of teams in the league. Chelsea wouldn't be able to go a long stretch without Drogba/Fat Frank, United without Rooney/Vidic, Arsenal without Cesc/RVP.

If we withstand injuries, we can make a long run of unbeaten, and we normally have a nice run in the second half of the year. Gerrard needs to find form, Torres needs to fight off his hernia and we need players like Kuyt, Babel, Aurelio and others to find a bit of form from here on out. That isn't too much to ask, you take it one game at a time and pick off wins and who knows where we will be in late February. I'm not sure anyone is in position to predict what will happen, because obviously this season has been crazy.

I love Liverpool and will always remain optimistic and still do that Rafa is the right man for the job. I know we have the squad to run off wins in the league, it's just a matter of doing it now.

Good luck to you and City

dw13
01-13-2010, 04:58 PM
Oh I take back all I said. This side is fucking shit, and shows no signs of wanting to turn it around.

gagne21
01-16-2010, 09:55 AM
Oh I take back all I said. This side is fucking shit, and shows no signs of wanting to turn it around.

a fuckin' draw to Stoke today too. I don't know if you watched, but that was a poorly played game on both sides. Brutal to watch.

I wonder how long Rafa has, I don't think they can afford to fire him though because of how much he makes.

dw13
01-16-2010, 10:03 AM
a fuckin' draw to Stoke today too. I don't know if you watched, but that was a poorly played game on both sides. Brutal to watch.

I wonder how long Rafa has, I don't think they can afford to fire him though because of how much he makes.

Rafa got the squad right with the amount of injuries we still have and have picked up. We got the goal to go ahead, and he had to play all sorts of players out of position. It was ugly to watch, but have you ever seen a pretty game at the Britianna?

Rafa is not leaving the club, atleast not until the summer. They can't afford to fire him, and he doesn't deserved to be fired. No manager in the world could succeed with the squad we have right now, it's a shame that Liverpool can't spend money to compete with the top 4 clubs in the PL. Always having to sell to buy is a shame.

They promise a summer spending spree, want to bet thats another broken promise?

You'll Never Walk Alone Liverpool

dw13
01-16-2010, 02:23 PM
Man I'll tell you what, Landon Donovan has played worthy football in his first two games with the Blue shits from Everton. Good to see it, and good to see they got the result today.

My buddy Stuart Holden is rumored to be signing with Blackburn, Bolton or Burnley within the next week or so, good stuff for US Soccer

CayugaPosse
01-16-2010, 09:47 PM
Man I'll tell you what, Landon Donovan has played worthy football in his first two games with the Blue shits from Everton. Good to see it, and good to see they got the result today.

My buddy Stuart Holden is rumored to be signing with Blackburn, Bolton or Burnley within the next week or so, good stuff for US Soccer

Is Holden actually a friend of yours?

I knew him a long time ago, haven't spoken in a few years now...

dw13
01-16-2010, 09:50 PM
Is Holden actually a friend of yours?

I knew him a long time ago, haven't spoken in a few years now...

I played against his brother at Club Nationals in Arkansas in 2004-ish, and got to know them both fairly well after that. Euan just got drafted by the Dynamo (Stu's old team) as well.

CayugaPosse
01-16-2010, 09:58 PM
I played against his brother at Club Nationals in Arkansas in 2004-ish, and got to know them both fairly well after that. Euan just got drafted by the Dynamo (Stu's old team) as well.

That's cool.

As nerdy as I'm about to make myself sound, I used to play video games against Stu, alot. We both played counter-strike at a fairly high level(travelled to tournaments and things like that), and I got to know him through that.

dw13
01-16-2010, 10:02 PM
That's cool.

As nerdy as I'm about to make myself sound, I used to play video games against Stu, alot. We both played counter-strike at a fairly high level(travelled to tournaments and things like that), and I got to know him through that.

Gives me fuel to rip on him via text :lol:

dw13
01-17-2010, 02:32 PM
It's rumored that Dempsey blew his knee out today in Fulham's game.. hope that isn't the case, USA is already still shaken from the Davies loss

dw13
01-19-2010, 05:01 PM
Good first leg in the League Cup for your City boys gagne. Still could tighten up in the back but you did enough to win for sure. Tevez scoring 2 must make City fans feel unreal

And it makes me feel unreal to see Fergie swallow his whiskey flavored gum after they lose :lol:

dw13
01-20-2010, 01:05 PM
Huge match today at 3. Liverpool/Spurs. Win and we are 1 point out of 4th place.

Edit: 1 hour out, and I'm nervous as hell. Cmon Reds

dw13
01-20-2010, 04:59 PM
Fucking huge result.

phaneuf6
01-20-2010, 06:49 PM
Fucking huge result.

Without Torres, I'd say so.

dw13
01-20-2010, 07:01 PM
Without Torres, I'd say so.

And Gerrard!

Aquilani was awesome today.

dw13
01-26-2010, 04:41 PM
Stunned that Rafa left out Aquilani.

Stunned that we drew.

Stunned.

phaneuf6
01-26-2010, 07:45 PM
Stunned that Rafa left out Aquilani.

Stunned that we drew.

Stunned.

At least you have tennis...

dw13
01-26-2010, 08:02 PM
At least you have tennis...

Go Tsonga! :D

dw13
01-27-2010, 05:47 PM
Tough loss City!

dw13
01-29-2010, 12:02 PM
Rafa to Juve this summer gets hotter every day.

b_illin
02-04-2010, 02:18 PM
I like Rafa, but I am tired of the fucking drama....go and be gone!

dw13
02-04-2010, 02:21 PM
I like Rafa, but I am tired of the fucking drama....go and be gone!

I support Rafa through and through. We have had a solid run of games and need to continue going into the Merseyside Derby and Arsenal. Two absolute giant matches.

suckerpuncher
02-04-2010, 03:56 PM
I really hope you fire Rafa and get "The Diver" as new coach so you finally learn what agony and suffering is really all about. :D

phaneuf6
02-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Fuck you Henry.

dw13
02-04-2010, 04:27 PM
I really hope you fire Rafa and get "The Diver" as new coach so you finally learn what agony and suffering is really all about. :D

:lol:

dw13
02-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Stunning stuff. Can't believe Fellaini wasn't sent off. Two challenges and both were easy red cards. Pineaar should of been gone in the first half as well. Instead, we are stuck playing 10 vs. 11 (maybe even 12 with the ref in a blue shirt!!).

What a game.

dw13
02-06-2010, 12:21 PM
oh and Thanks Hull for beating City.

dw13
02-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Win in mid week and we are 2 points from Arsenal.

Sucker, pretty straight forward draw for Germany's Euro qualification, huh? Looks good to me.

Italy, Serbia, Northern Ireland and Slovenia should be a sweet group.

Winger72
02-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Win in mid week and we are 2 points from Arsenal.

Every time I get my hopes up something happens, Arsenal loses and drops back down the table.

dw13
02-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Every time I get my hopes up something happens, Arsenal loses and drops back down the table.

Arsenal fan?

Arsenal is missing Van Persie really bad. They have no out-and-out striker, they lack the final ball because they have to play to the feet all the way into the goal. They looked good the last 20-25 minutes of the game, but were outclassed the rest of the way.

Defense is suspect to the counter as well.

They need to beat Liverpool at home, really badly.

Winger72
02-07-2010, 02:57 PM
Arsenal fan?

Arsenal is missing Van Persie really bad. They have no out-and-out striker, they lack the final ball because they have to play to the feet all the way into the goal. They looked good the last 20-25 minutes of the game, but were outclassed the rest of the way.

Defense is suspect to the counter as well.

They need to beat Liverpool at home, really badly.

Yea, recent fan. Been a fan of the game for a long time, but only really got in to the pro leagues (EPL and MLS specifically) a few years ago.

I didn't think they'd miss Van Persie this badly, but like you said, there's no real striker. I was going to watch a stream of the match but then I saw the 2-0 score, and was like eh. Couldn't see them coming back against Chelsea, especially with what happened against ManU.

suckerpuncher
02-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Sucker, pretty straight forward draw for Germany's Euro qualification, huh? Looks good to me.

Looks good on paper.
But we have to be careful. Austria is always extra-motivated against us and we'll have an additional away game against Turkey. There are normally more Turkish fans in the stadium if we play at home. And the Turks still have a score to settle from the last EURO semi-final.
But if we play the way we should and can play we should qualify as no. 1 in that group.

dw13
02-10-2010, 12:29 PM
Arsenal at the snowy Emirates. Win and we are 2 points out of 3rd. Cmon Redmen.

YouTube- You'll Never Walk Alone With Lyrics

dw13
02-10-2010, 04:46 PM
Didn't deserve it today. Gave them too much credit in the first half, and we were asking for it in the second half.

phaneuf6
02-10-2010, 04:59 PM
Arsenal at the snowy Emirates. Win and we are 2 points out of 3rd. Cmon Redmen.

YouTube- You'll Never Walk Alone With Lyrics (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma3Nax8yyOE)

Not to take the thread off topic but this video got me looking at a bunch of 'game songs'. Gotta love the Irish Rugby anthem obviously, but I was watching a bunch of the All Blacks haka's and they're so intimidating. I'd love to go to a New Zealand rugby match, the atmosphere would be amazing.

dw13
02-10-2010, 05:04 PM
Not to take the thread off topic but this video got me looking at a bunch of 'game songs'. Gotta love the Irish Rugby anthem obviously, but I was watching a bunch of the All Blacks haka's and they're so intimidating. I'd love to go to a New Zealand rugby match, the atmosphere would be amazing.

I'd imagine it would be a badass atmosphere. I want to go back to Anfield, this time I'll be able to remember more then when I was 7 years old.

Anfield on a cup night, preferably Champions League would be a dream come true for me haha

phaneuf6
02-10-2010, 05:13 PM
I'd imagine it would be a badass atmosphere. I want to go back to Anfield, this time I'll be able to remember more then when I was 7 years old.

Anfield on a cup night, preferably Champions League would be a dream come true for me haha

gagne was in England over Christmas and saw a City game and a ManUtd game. I think the ManU game was at Old Trafford, can't remember. Its definitely on my to-do list.

I've been to Croke Park in Dublin, Ireland for a number of GAA matches (youtube it, gaelic football) and the atmosphere there is incredible. They know how to build stadiums over there.

dw13
02-10-2010, 05:17 PM
gagne was in England over Christmas and saw a City game and a ManUtd game. I think the ManU game was at Old Trafford, can't remember. Its definitely on my to-do list.

I've been to Croke Park in Dublin, Ireland for a number of GAA matches (youtube it, gaelic football) and the atmosphere there is incredible. They know how to build stadiums over there.

I bet Croke was awesome, for sure.

No disrespect (well maybe a little) to Old Trafford and United, but that stadium seems to fill up with alot of tourists who really are not pure United fans.

One of the many reasons I fell in love with Liverpool is because of how passionate the fans are, it's truly an emotional club and cup nights seem amazing.

But give me a chance to go to Old Trafford? I'd go in a flash without question.

phaneuf6
02-10-2010, 05:20 PM
I bet Croke was awesome, for sure.

No disrespect (well maybe a little) to Old Trafford and United, but that stadium seems to fill up with alot of tourists who really are not pure United fans.

One of the many reasons I fell in love with Liverpool is because of how passionate the fans are, it's truly an emotional club and cup nights seem amazing.

But give me a chance to go to Old Trafford? I'd go in a flash without question.

You're going to get that in most stadiums with a history like ManUtd has and the history that Old Trafford has seen. I don't think you can doubt the passion that all EPL fans have for their respective teams. Soccer probably has the most passionate and loyal fans in the world.

dw13
02-10-2010, 05:23 PM
You're going to get that in most stadiums with a history like ManUtd has and the history that Old Trafford has seen. I don't think you can doubt the passion that all EPL fans have for their respective teams. Soccer probably has the most passionate and loyal fans in the world.

Well, Liverpool's history is as storied as United, but obviously I'm a biased asshole, so yeah. :lol:

And thats definitely the truth about soccer having the most passionate and loyal fans.

gagne21
02-10-2010, 05:35 PM
I was ashamed to be at the swamp, only went because my uncle is a huge Utd supporter. Eastlands was buzzing though, good trip all around.

dw13
02-10-2010, 05:38 PM
I was ashamed to be at the swamp, only went because my uncle is a huge Utd supporter. Eastlands was buzzing though, good trip all around.

Yeah, not a fan of the Old Toilet. Sounds like a dynamite trip for sure though.

dw13
02-11-2010, 11:59 AM
http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/6426/cesccheating.jpg

I feel your pain, Conor.

Howard Webb is a twat for missing the call, and Cesc went to shit in my book. Cheater.

Last play of the game, too.

dw13
02-21-2010, 11:56 AM
City and Liverpool were both shit today. 0-0 seemed about right.

phaneuf6
02-27-2010, 01:00 PM
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/blog/sow_experts/post/Nike-Thing-day-two-National-team-kits-unveiled;_ylt=AgsaxRQ35qBGw1w90Tu.bXwHNgU6?urn=sow ,224315

dw13
03-04-2010, 09:48 AM
De Jong broke Holden's leg in the Netherlands/USA friendly. Really harsh tackle, too.

phaneuf6
03-04-2010, 06:11 PM
De Jong broke Holden's leg in the Netherlands/USA friendly. Really harsh tackle, too.

http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/04/holdens-fractured-fibula-latest-inury-to-strike-u-s-team/

Tough break, no pun intended.

dw13
03-04-2010, 06:20 PM
http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/04/holdens-fractured-fibula-latest-inury-to-strike-u-s-team/

Tough break, no pun intended.

Fucking joke by de Jong. The more I see it the more it pisses me off. It was a friendly, and De Jong was putting elbows in Donovans face, and getting stuck in like he did on Holden. Piece of shit.

Hope Holden holds up well and gets back to training asap... he's a big part of the team in the summer.

suckerpuncher
03-19-2010, 06:59 AM
Some crazy action yesterday in the Europa League.

Hamburg got lucky in Anderlecht and Wolfsburg battled in OT against Kazan. Although the should have ended in regulation when Wolfsburg scored in additional time but for whatever reason the ref called offside which it cleary was not.
But at least 2 German clubs advanced.

Too bad Bremen could qualify for the quarterfinals after that insane game against Valencia. 4-4! What a game. And Bremen had chance to winn tat game but didn't get lucky.

But the biggest upset was Fulham kicking out Juve after losing 1-3 at Juve and being down 0-1 after 2 minutes. But they came back to win 4-1. What a great goal by Dempsey.
Almost as good as Robbens goal against Fiorentina last week.

And now back to the UCL.
The draw just ended. And Bayern meets there old friends/rivals ManU.
ManU is the favorite especially considering the play the 2 leg at home. But there's still and outside chance for Bayern.

Too bad that Bordeaux and Lyon meet each other. A French Affair. But on the bright side for them one French club will be in the semis.
Arsenal meets Barca again. Alongside Bayern/ManU another former UCL final.
And in the last game Inter is highly favored against CSKA Moscow. But Villareal was highly favored, too.

Some interesting machtups but the 2 former finals are the most intriguing games.

dw13
03-19-2010, 09:17 AM
Liverpool has found a nice run of form leading into Sunday's game with ManU. Very excited to see Vidic get sent off again :lol:

Go beat ManU in UCL, Sucker.

Dempsey's goal was world class.

dw13
03-28-2010, 07:16 PM
Fernando Torres. Simply the best.

GL Tuesday, Sucker. Have at 'em

suckerpuncher
03-29-2010, 03:31 AM
I'm not very confident.
Robben likely out, Ribery hurt as always and the stupid home loss over the weekend doesn't make me very optimistic.

A goalless draw would be great. Or even better a 1-0 win.
The important thing is not to concede a goal. Otherwise it will be more than just an uphill battle at Old Trafford next week.

dw13
03-29-2010, 09:19 AM
I didn't know about Robben or Ribery, but that seems predictable. They always seem hurt.

Just don't concede. I'll be pulling for you!

phaneuf6
03-30-2010, 01:37 PM
Robben not even on the bench. Ribery starting by the looks of things, and Scholes in for Valencia on the United side.

suckerpuncher
03-30-2010, 03:59 PM
Shades of '99.
But this time the other way around.

What a great game...

It started out pretty bad with that deflected free kick which landed right on Rooney's foot. After that Bayern needed about 25 minutes to finally get into the game but from that point on they were the better team.
Another deflected free kick tied the game. And then it became a real fight. ManU hit the crossbar and Bayern also ahd a great chance in the 90th minute but missed.
But then Olic stole the ball from 5 defenders and scored the winner.

Afterall a well deserved win. All in all Bayern was the better and more active team.
I just hope Bayern's streak conitnues. So far they never lost a game against ManU at home or at Old Trafford. The only loss was '99 in Barcelona which was a real heart breaker.

And it seems like Rooney twisted an ankle or knee during the process. I wouldn't mind if he would miss next weeks game. I wouldn't even mind if he misses the World Cup. ;)

And one more thing. I really hope those old bastards at UEFA/FIFA finally come to their senses and get rid of the dumbest rule ever in soccer. Why the fuck do they still give yellow cards if a players takes of his shirt after he scores a goal????
Get rid of this stupid rule. Now!!!

dw13
03-30-2010, 03:59 PM
Should of scored even more, but what a game played by Bayern though after conceding so early.

I didn't expect the 2nd leg to even matter after Rooney's 60 second tally, but theres a real chance at the OT for Bayern.

Great to see Rooney limp off, too.

dw13
03-31-2010, 12:43 PM
Barca/Arsenal in about an hour. Going to be a great match to watch. Two of the best passing teams in the world.

Liverpool/Benfica tomorrow.

Winger72
03-31-2010, 07:18 PM
Arsenal ties Barca 2-2 and I missed the game because of work. It sounds like we lost half the team in the match though. Gallas and Arshavin picked up calf injuries and Fabregas probably has a broken leg. Who the hell is left?

dw13
03-31-2010, 07:57 PM
Arsenal ties Barca 2-2 and I missed the game because of work. It sounds like we lost half the team in the match though. Gallas and Arshavin picked up calf injuries and Fabregas probably has a broken leg. Who the hell is left?

Cesc was going to be out of the second leg anyways because of the yellow. It'd be tough on their title hopes if he does have a broken leg.

Arsenal should of lost the game 6 or 7 to nothing, they got real lucky to find themselves level and give atleast SOME hope going to the Nou Camp.

That said, they will not get passed Barca at the Nou Camp.

Winger72
04-01-2010, 06:51 AM
Cesc was going to be out of the second leg anyways because of the yellow. It'd be tough on their title hopes if he does have a broken leg.

Arsenal should of lost the game 6 or 7 to nothing, they got real lucky to find themselves level and give atleast SOME hope going to the Nou Camp.

That said, they will not get passed Barca at the Nou Camp.

Even if they had those three for the next leg, I wasn't expecting them to advance past Barca.

As for the PL, I think it's Chelsea's title to lose now.

dw13
04-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Anyone watch Liverpool/Benfica? Possibly the worst reffed game I've ever seen. Just flat out shocking.

Atleast we got out of there with the away goal. But wow.

phaneuf6
04-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Anyone watch Liverpool/Benfica? Possibly the worst reffed game I've ever seen. Just flat out shocking.

Atleast we got out of there with the away goal. But wow.

See Ireland v France, WC qualifier. That's bad refereeing. :(

World Cup is quickly approaching and I'm starting to get excited. Any early favourites?

dw13
04-01-2010, 06:19 PM
See Ireland v France, WC qualifier. That's bad refereeing. :(

World Cup is quickly approaching and I'm starting to get excited. Any early favourites?

If our game was that of a Champions League final, or a World Cup qualifier, it would be looked it even worse then that decision from the France/Ireland game.

Obvious favorites; Spain and Brazil.

I like France with the form Lloris has been in all year. Not sure they can win it though.

phaneuf6
04-01-2010, 06:26 PM
If our game was that of a Champions League final, or a World Cup qualifier, it would be looked it even worse then that decision from the France/Ireland game.

Obvious favorites; Spain and Brazil.

I like France with the form Lloris has been in all year. Not sure they can win it though.

I'd love to see the Netherlands do some damage, they're always my team come WC time if Ireland aren't in it. I'd also love to see one of Portugal or Brazil knocked out in pool play. Portugal preferably, it'd make living in Toronto more bearable during the month or so of World Cup soccer.

dw13
04-01-2010, 06:52 PM
I'd love to see the Netherlands do some damage, they're always my team come WC time if Ireland aren't in it. I'd also love to see one of Portugal or Brazil knocked out in pool play. Portugal preferably, it'd make living in Toronto more bearable during the month or so of World Cup soccer.

Sven is a pretty solid coach, so if he blends with the Ivory Coast, they could some damage and knock out Portugal... I don't see Brazil going out in group play.

Obviously, I'm all USA.

dw13
04-03-2010, 08:45 AM
Shocked to see a decision go the wrong way for Man United. Drogba was clearly offside, but I'm fine with it. Very happy to see United lose their advantage.

dw13
04-04-2010, 10:55 AM
I'm officially done with Rafa after today.

Have fun finishing fourth, City. We gave it to you.

gagne21
04-04-2010, 11:01 AM
Fat spanish waiter, you're just a fat spanish waiter, fat spanish waiiiiiiiiiter!

PS, you didn't give us shit, City are a better squad with a better coach. I've been much more concerned with Spuds, (and Villa to an extent). It's a two horse race now.

dw13
04-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Fat spanish waiter, you're just a fat spanish waiter, fat spanish waiiiiiiiiiter!

I've been one of his biggest supporters. I love him. Think his personality is perfect for Liverpool. He understands our history, our fans and everything to do with Liverpool.

But time after time again, he's gotten it wrong.

N'Gog for Torres with 20 minutes to play, with the season on the line?

Shocking.

dw13
04-07-2010, 09:16 AM
Messi is incredible man.

GL today Sucker.

suckerpuncher
04-07-2010, 03:47 PM
Yeah, Baby!!!!

Another bad start and almost the whole first half played with the backs against the wall and down 0-3. But then Olic sparked some life into the team right before half time.
And in the second half Bayern was once again the better team and having the man advantage help, too.
The most part of the second half looked like a mixture of handball and hockey. Bayern with a power play and always circeling around the penalty box.
But the genius corner by Robbery was just awesome.

I was so pissed after the 2 early goals and even more so after the third goal. But Olic's goal turned the tide.

But both games combined Bayern was the better team and rightfully advances.

Funny thing the 4000 Bayern supporters made more noise in the second half than all the ManU fans.

dw13
04-07-2010, 03:52 PM
The ManU fans are horrible. They sing one song, and they chant the same shit over and over again. It always bothers me.

As for Bayern, well done Sucker. On the brink, and then you put them out. Great stuff.

Better sort out that defense though.

suckerpuncher
04-07-2010, 04:06 PM
The defense has always been the achilles heel during the last couple of years. With Kahn in goal it didn't mattered much since he was just brilliant and made a lot of big saves.

With the exeption of Lahm (who still should probably play on the left side even though he's right footed) the whole defense needs an overhaul. Van Buyten most likely was kept because he's Ribery's friend and personal translator. Demichelis is often injured and rarely plays up to his potential.
And Badstuber is a young kid who got his first crack on the big team and has a lot of learning to do. And I personally think he's beeter on the interior part of the defense.
They need one great interior defender and one for the outside (preferably left side).

And van Bommel is getting older and it's probably about time to look for a younger player to replace him (and Tymochuk is not the solution) although that's hard to do since he's a real leader on the field and a great captain. Almost a more defensive version of Effenberg.
And of course a new keeper. Butt played good this year but not great and he's prettty old. And Rensing is on his way out. Of course it's hard to fill the hole kahn left. Maybe the try a last push for Neuer. But the latest rumor is they signed Handanovic fom Udfnese.

On the offensive side I persoanlly think Ribery will renew his contract now that Bayern shoed they can get to the semis of the UCL. The strikers a all locked up as are Robben, Müller and Schweinsteiger. And Kroos is coming back after being loaned to Leverkusen for the last one and a half year. So they should be ste there.

And now off to Lyon. As much as I dislike it but this time Bayern seems to be the favorite.

Everybody here rembers the game in the group stage 2000/2001 were Bayern played very poorly and lost 3-0. And of course the (in-)famous speech by the Kaiser where dissed the whole team right after the game during the team dinner.
That sparked some life and ayern went on to win the UCL.

dw13
04-07-2010, 04:12 PM
Cup football is the greatest Sucker. You must be enjoying it.

suckerpuncher
04-07-2010, 04:25 PM
Cup football is the greatest Sucker. You must be enjoying it.
We Germans don't enjoy things for very long. We start splitting hairs pretty soon even if there's nothing to find. :D

gagne21
04-11-2010, 10:55 AM
CITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!

Fat spanish waiter drops more points at home, beauty!

dw13
04-11-2010, 03:52 PM
CITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!

Fat spanish waiter drops more points at home, beauty!

:freak:

dw13
04-16-2010, 10:02 PM
Great to know LFC is officially for sale!!! Cya Hicks and Gillette

suckerpuncher
04-17-2010, 02:40 AM
I was already searching my pockets but I came up about a million short of the estimated price.:D

dw13
04-17-2010, 08:24 AM
I was already searching my pockets but I came up about a million short of the estimated price.:D

I'll front you the money, but then we need to come up with 80M to put into the transfer window (Villa, Turan and David Luiz) :lol:

dw13
04-17-2010, 08:42 AM
Shocking stuff from Scholes and United. Chitty just opened themselves up at the end there late.

suckerpuncher
04-17-2010, 02:07 PM
After Lyon started cheating by postponing their Ligue 1 match against Monaco to mid-May to get more rest before the UCL semis Bayern had a match which looked more like a better training lesson and they easily crushed Hannover 7-0.

I could live with the same result on Wednesday. ;)

dw13
04-17-2010, 02:19 PM
After Lyon started cheating by postponing their Ligue 1 match against Monaco to mid-May to get more rest before the UCL semis Bayern had a match which looked more like a better training lesson and they easily crushed Hannover 7-0.

I could live with the same result on Wednesday. ;)

I'm hoping for Bayern/Inter.

GL :beer:

dw13
04-21-2010, 04:27 PM
Robben the match winner strikes again!

What a crazy game.

suckerpuncher
04-21-2010, 04:34 PM
Crazy game.

Bayern stared pretty good and didn't concede a goal early on like they did against ManU.Midway trough Lyon started to get a bit better and then Ribery was sent off.
I still think the red card was not really justified since Ribery wanted to play the ball and didn't had any intention to hit the opposing player. But that's what happens if a bloody Italian ref is involved. Those iditos just screw us every time.

But even with one man down Bayern started the second half way better than Lyon and after Lyon recieved their sent off Bayern was even more dominant.
Once again Robben scored the goal. Just amazing what a year ha had so far.

The only knock is Bayern scored only 1 goal with all those chances they had. But for once they didn't concede a goal. That should help.
And right now they have better chance to advance without Ribery than without Robben.

dw13
04-21-2010, 05:02 PM
Yeah, IDK Sucker. I can't argue against a Red. He clearly went over top the ball and stomped down... not that I thought it was intentional but I could see the reasoning.

Great game though.

dw13
04-27-2010, 08:47 AM
Get in there today Bayern!!

dw13
04-27-2010, 03:45 PM
Congrats to Bayern and you sucker, but I have to say that was just a shocking dismissal of Cris. Not that it changed what was going to happen, but the decision was one of the worst I've seen in such a big stage.

suckerpuncher
04-27-2010, 04:06 PM
Madrid, Madrid, wir fahren nach Madrid!!!
Madrid, Madrid, los vamos a Madrid!!!
Madrid, Madrid, we're going to Madrid!!!

4 more wins to win 'em all.

After the first 5 minutes Bayern took over and the first goal almost sealed the deal early. But after the red card and the second goal it was over.

As far as the red card goes maybe the first yellow card was a bit hard (like the red card against Ribery in the first leg) and with the way the ref handled the game you could expect something like this. But the clapping of the hands was plain out stupid by Cris. As captain you can't let yourself go like this. He should have know better.
That was just dumb. And it send the wrong signal towards his teamates. There are good red cards to take and there are bad ones. And this one was one of the worst ever.
And from what I heard Cris already had a heated argument during the half time break in the tunnel with the ref so he knew he was on a short leash.
It broke Lyon's neck especially with the second goal coming minutes after that red card.

But in both games Bayern was the way better team and rightfully advance to the final.

dw13
04-27-2010, 04:09 PM
Definitely. Don't get me wrong, Bayern clearly deserved to go through and did so. I don't even think the clapping thing should of been a card, it was really petty. But if he did have an argument at half, then I can see why the ref was so quick to do it.

I don't even think the tackle was a foul!!! none the less a yellow.

Either way, congrats.

I'm ready to watch tomorrow!!

suckerpuncher
04-27-2010, 06:00 PM
On a different note:
Liverpool should speed up. There are rumors here that Hamburg is already in contract negotiations with The Diver. So hurry up. ;)

dw13
04-27-2010, 07:15 PM
On a different note:
Liverpool should speed up. There are rumors here that Hamburg is already in contract negotiations with The Diver. So hurry up. ;)

Can't wait til Thursday.

phaneuf6
04-27-2010, 07:38 PM
2010 FIFA World Cup Drinking Game

Basic Rules:

Drink every time the referee blows his whistle

Have a shot for every goal scored by a striker

Drink half a pint for every goal by a midfielder

Finish your drink/drink a pint for any goal by a defender

Have a shot for every yellow card; finish your drink if any player is sent off

Whenever a free kick is given on the edge of the box, the last person to shout “Beckham” must finish their drink

Before kickoff, select a side and drink throughout their national anthem

Using the same team you have just picked, you must be drinking when ever their captain is in possession of the ball

Alcohol must be consumed in any dead ball situation (throw-in, corners, goal kicks etc)

Finish your drink if any goals come from a free kick

During a penalty shootout, select a side and have a shot for every penalty kick missed

Whenever the World Cup in South Africa is referred to as either “the first world cup in Africa”, or “a big step for African sport” you must finish your drink.

If anyone famous is shown when the camera pans to the crowd, finish your drink

During the second half, each player should only be referred to by their first name – punishment shot for failure to comply

Every time the world “Golden Boot” is mentioned, the last person to shout “Pele” must finish their drink

Everytime theres a handball, last person to shout 'MARADONNA!' necks a shot

Have a shot every time Hondouras or New Zealand score!

-------------------------------------

England specific:

Every time Beckham is mentioned by the commentators, the last person to touch their Achilles heel must finish their drink

Drink for every mention, or sighting, of a WaG.

Every time John Terry and captaincy are said in the same sentence, finish your drink.

Finish your drink every time there is a mention of a possible tie with either Germany, or Argentina

Every time England’s poor penalty record is mentioned, have a shot of your choice

If Capello is ever on the screen, you must drink continuously until he is off the screen again

Every time you refer to an England player, you must use the suffix “England’s finest” e.g. “Peter Crouch, England’s Finest” – punishment shot for failure to comply

Every time Rooney scores, the last person to shout, "Lionel who?" must drink

dw13
04-28-2010, 03:41 PM
The Special One has done it again! What a game, what a performance from Mourinho's men.

Bousquets and the sending off was pretty fucking awful.

Lets hope we don't get a Swiss or Belgium reffing the final game.

GL Sucker/Bayern. What a good matchup!!

dw13
04-29-2010, 04:36 PM
Sick to my stomach after that game.

Can't this season please just end.

suckerpuncher
05-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Yeah!!!
There's title #1. Bundesliga champs.

(I know it's still one game left and only a 3 point lead but it's next to impossible for Schalke to overcome both the 3 points and the 17 goal deficit.)

1 down. 3 to go.

dw13
05-01-2010, 12:00 PM
Congrats to Bayern. Enjoy it.

Theres strong rumors saying tomorrow will be Rafa's last game at Anfield. I'll be really upset if he has to go, but I completely understand. With Dumb and Dumber still in charge of the club, it's got to be rough on Rafa.

That said, I expect Anfield to be on fire tomorrow in support of our Rafa. He's the perfect man for Liverpool, and he'll always be a Liverpool man even if he has to go.

b_illin
05-06-2010, 11:13 AM
Way to go Spurs!

dw13
05-06-2010, 12:04 PM
Way to go Spurs!

Just like the last time Liverpool didn't make top 4.

2 years later, Kings of Europe. It's going to happen again. (If Dumb and Dumber really do sell the club and we get some real owners in)

suckerpuncher
05-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Easy 3-1 win to finish off the Bundesliga season.
Nice to see van Gaal get his beer shower after he stated the whole week that he doesn't want it to happen. But he signaled that he's ok with it by switching from a his standard suit to some sort of track suit during halftime.

2 down. 2 to go.