PDA

View Full Version : Podcasts

Motorcat
08-18-2008, 07:18 PM
Playing with the Ipod and Itunes some tonight and I noticed a large selection of podcasts dedicated to hockey, sports and really almost any subject you can think of.

Anyone have a favorite podcast worth checking out ?

ih8music
08-19-2008, 01:22 AM
Onion Radio News (audio) is good - typically short, 30-sec "news" clips. Usually very funny & a nice break when mixed in with the rest of your music.

They also have Onion News Network, which is a similar video podcast. more hit & miss for me as to whether it makes me laugh, though.

if I didn't already listen to Stephanie Miller every morning, I'd probably sub to her podcast... (but I gather that she wouldn't quite be your cup o' tea, motor - very liberal talk/comedy show. :D)

Aside from that, I subscribe to a couple of NPR podcasts, but don't listen to them all that often, tbh.

podcasts are a cool idea, i guess, but i could definitely live without them.

Hamsterkill
08-19-2008, 06:12 AM
I'm not much of a podcast listener, since I use my iPod very irregularly and listen to the radio in my car instead.

pjm
06-06-2011, 12:30 AM
Was about to start a new thread on this but i did a search like a good little forum user...

Anyone using podcasts these days? I wasn't interested in them until a couple of months ago when the amount of driving I have to do drastically increased. Would love some suggestions if anyone has any!

snoopzen
06-06-2011, 01:18 AM
I'm all over podcasts, and listen to them regularly. In fact, I don't listen to the radio much at all in the car anymore, unless it's to listen to the news. I find these infinitely more entertaining, especially on long drives. I highly recommend any of the ones I list below.

Much of what I listen to seems to be from standup comedians. These include:
* The Adam Carolla Show
* WTF (with Marc Maron)
* The Joe Rogan Experience
* Fitzdog Radio (with Greg Fitzsimmons)
* The Nerdist (with Chris Hardwick)
* The Ricky Gervais Podcast
* This Week with Larry Miller
* Doug Loves Movies (with Doug Benson)
* Never Not Funny (with Jimmy Pardo)

Others:
* The Bugle - Audio Newspaper For A Visual World.... political humour from John "Daily Show" Oliver and Andy Zaltzman

* Freakonomics Radio... self-explanatory if you've read the books. Pretty fascinating to listen to.

* Stuff You Should Know... how pretty much anything works. Topics have included general knowledge ones ("How Con Artists Work", "How Tickling Works") to topical ones ("How a Nuclear Meltdown Works", "How Guantanamo Bay Works") to the humourous ones ("Are Stupid People Happier?","10 Terribly Bungled Crimes").

* ESPN: The B.S. Report with Bill Simmons... a mixture of mostly sports and a bit of pop culture (i.e., reality TV)

* Prime Time Sports... hosted by Bob McCown on FAN 590/THE FAN Radio Network.

Video Podcasts:
* Viral Video Film School
* Best of YouTube
* The Totally Rad Show (video games, movies, TV, comic books, more)
* CH Originals (College Humor)
* Ask A Ninja
* Discovery Channel Video Podcasts

I used to watch The Hour with George Stroumboulopoulos regularly (interviews from "The Hour"), but they haven't added new interviews in about a year.

chgorman
06-06-2011, 10:07 AM
* The Joe Rogan Experience

My buddy is obsessed with Rogan and his podcasts.

snoopzen
06-06-2011, 08:45 PM
My buddy is obsessed with Rogan and his podcasts.Well, it's a very good podcast, with a lot of truly interesting thoughts and discussion. Especially if you only think of Joe Rogan as that Fear Factor / UFC / super-aggro-standup-comedian guy. He's not, and he's actually a really interesting dude with a lot of ideas and thoughts on a lot of varied topics, from conspiracy theories to marijuana/DMT to MMA to sensory deprivation tanks. Sounds weird, I know... but it's almost always very interesting.

One of the few problems I have with the podcast is that it is so freakin' LONG... usually somewhere between 2-2.5 hours. Also, his sidekick Redban often seems borderline retarded and that gets super-annoying after a while.

You say your buddy's obsessed... well, I'm not that surprised to hear that. Rogan seems to attract that kind of maniacal following, actually.