PDA

View Full Version : Carolina Panthers

Motorcat
06-24-2008, 10:20 PM
Just helping KK out ............. I'm not a fan either way.

If I'm on a NFL bandwagon its most likely Rivers and Chargers.

King_Killah
08-01-2008, 10:29 AM
Finally some news out of Carolina!

Rookie running back Jonathan Stewart (http://www.footballguys.com/StewJo00-1.php) was featured several times � often as a receiver. Stewart, who is a burly 5-10, 235 pounds, showed his strength more than once. On one play, he took a handoff and bowled over two defensive linemen at the goal line. �He�s had some flashy looking runs ever since the first day,� said coach John Fox of Stewart, who is practicing after missing time in the spring because of a toe injury. �We�re easing him into it and he continues to impress us.�

What's with all the squares in the write up???? So far so good for Stewart. Personally, I think Stewart will have the better year than McFadden, at least for this year. Keep eyes on him.

FlyGuy78
08-01-2008, 10:31 AM
this year I agree too, but I think McFadden will be the better of the two in the long run, especially if the Raiders can ever get back to their old form. We USED to be pretty good.

King_Killah
08-01-2008, 10:35 AM
Receiver D.J. Hackett (http://www.footballguys.com/HackD.00-1.php) has had a quiet camp, but he caught two straight touchdown passes from Jake Delhomme (http://www.footballguys.com/DelhJa00-1.php) during red-zone drills. The first scoring pass had rookie safety Charles Godfrey and cornerback Richard Marshall talking to each other about what went wrong.

Good for Hackett. If Hackett can keep making the DBs look silly, he will find himself with quality playing time.

King_Killah
08-02-2008, 04:21 PM
Carolina Panthers WR Steve Smith (http://www.footballguys.com/SmitSt02-1.php) was sent home from practice after punching and injuring the eye of CB Ken Lucas. There is no word yet on any suspension or fine that Smith might be facing.

Actually both Smith and Lucas were sent home, but I guess since Lucas isn't a big player name, he gets no mention.

This isn't a first for Smith. And in-house bickering isn't uncommon. The Panthers should be able to deal with this issue, leave the NFL out of it.

King_Killah
08-02-2008, 04:34 PM
More on Smith.

The Carolina Panthers have suspended receiver Steve Smith two games for his involvement in a training camp fight with cornerback Ken Lucas.

Smith will participate in preseason games and be allowed to practice with the team beginning Monday. He is a three-time Pro Bowl selection.

Lucas left the practice field at Wofford College on Friday with ice over his left eye.

Coach John Fox said Lucas has a broken nose.

FlyGuy78
08-02-2008, 05:51 PM
nitbag

King_Killah
08-21-2008, 03:35 PM
According to Carolina Panthers HC John Fox, RB Jonathan Stewart (http://www.footballguys.com/StewJo00-1.php) will get a chunk of carries behind the first-team offensive line in the third preseason game for his official audition to make the claim at the starting RB spot. Meanwhile, Fox remains impressed with rookie FS Charles Godfrey, who is working with the starters. "We have an adage that people live up or down to expectations," said Fox. "We've had high expectations for him. He's met those. Until we get into the regular season and really get any kind of body of work going, we won't know, but he's been everything we thought he is."

Stewart is the man... Carolina and Stewart owners should be pleased.

King_Killah
08-31-2008, 09:23 AM
News the FlyGuy actually reported yesterday...

All the talk about the Dolphins carrying four quarterbacks was rendered moot Friday afternoon when they traded veteran quarterback Josh McCown (http://www.footballguys.com/McCoJo01-1.php) to the Carolina Panthers for an undisclosed 2009 draft pick.
"I'm excited for the opportunity," McCown said via cell phone.

With Pennington in town, McCown became expendable. With Moore going down, they needed something. They could have had Chris Simms for free. Oh well.

Spartan
04-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Jake Delhomme extended 5 years.

Baaaa haaa haaa haaa :lol::lol::lol:

two24four
04-23-2009, 04:58 PM
Jake Delhomme extended 5 years.

Baaaa haaa haaa haaa :lol::lol::lol:

I know eh, haha, I have a buddie who lives down there, die hard Panthers fan, he will be pissed, he hates Jake :lol:

King_Killah
04-27-2009, 11:15 AM
I think Evvy Brown is too small to be an everydown guy, so I am not so sure why they took him with their first pick?????? Am I missing something here? I am good with the kid out of Troy though. After Martin though, I am not sure the rest of their picks are going to see significant time in the NFL if any time at all.

Motorcat
04-27-2009, 12:47 PM
Delhomme must have some serious goat fuck pictures on the big wheels.

:freak:

b_illin
04-27-2009, 01:35 PM
CAR signed a RB from my alma mater - pretty cool seeing as the school only has 1900 students!

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/625059

King_Killah
05-18-2009, 01:52 PM
Steve Reed, of CarolinaGrowl.com, reports Carolina Panthers WR Ryne Robinson is the leading candidate for the team's kickoff and punt return duties this season.

For all of you with leagues that count return yards.

King_Killah
05-28-2009, 11:11 AM
Steve Reed, of CarolinaGrowl.com, reports the Carolina Panthers could use RB Mike Goodson (http://www.footballguys.com/GoodMi00-1.php) as a slot receiver at times this season.

A little ditty for those who pay attention to the late rounds of their drafts. A few places scout him to be explosive like Reggie Bush. Some spots proclaim his fantasy value dead because he is behind DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart. But those who know, Williams and Stewart could have durability issues, so Goodson could find himself in a RB2 spot at some point in the season.

King_Killah
06-08-2009, 10:56 AM
The Charlotte Observer notes that if fourth-round draft pick RB Mike Goodson (http://www.footballguys.com/GoodMi00-1.php) is anywhere near as good as he looks in summer school practices, the Panthers have added an extra dimension to their offense.

Well.... a lot of teams are switching to a 3-headed RBBC, which I hate, and people will still overvalue RBs instead of QBs and WRs in their drafts, but whatever... At this point, I still believe that Goodson is good and will contribute but won't see a lot of time unless someone goes down with an injury.

King_Killah
07-30-2009, 11:49 AM
Steve Reed, of CarolinaGrowl.com, reports the Carolina Panthers will again be a run-first offense in 2009, with RBs DeAngelo Williams (http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/WillDe02-1.php) and RB Jonathan Stewart (http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/StewJo00-1.php) carrying a heavy load. The duo combined for 2,351 rushing yards and 28 rushing touchdowns last season.

Look for last seasons totals to adjust themselves with Williams taking a few less carries and Stewart gaining a few more. Don't forget Mike Goodson who is equated to Reggie Bush. He'll set up in the slot and be used in gadget plays.

King_Killah
08-29-2009, 05:28 PM
Pat Yasinskas, of ESPN.com, reports Carolina Panthers RB DeAngelo Williams (http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/WillDe02-1.php) will receive the bulk of the carries this season, even if RB Jonathan Stewart (http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/StewJo00-1.php) (Achilles') is healthy for the regular season.

This looks like a spot where Williams does the work and Stewart will get the reward. Pay attention to this.

two24four
09-13-2009, 03:34 PM
Delhomme sucks, 4 INT's today.

two24four
09-14-2009, 05:12 PM
Feeley was signed today by the Panthers.

Motorcat
09-14-2009, 05:26 PM
They should be looking hard at Jeff Garcia - he's available and wins wherever he goes.

two24four
09-14-2009, 05:32 PM
They should be looking hard at Jeff Garcia - he's available and wins wherever he goes.

He was signed today by Philly.

Motorcat
09-14-2009, 06:10 PM
day late - dollar short - typical panthers

You know they are loving that big money contract they signed Jake to in the off season

Dubz
11-19-2009, 10:52 PM
Does the QB on this team ever break a sweat? Its sickening watching this guy guy grin and point at everybody else. Does this guy even watch sports...wtf

Motorcat
12-23-2009, 02:53 PM
Some pics from the Panthers/Viking tailgate I did this past weekend ............. my camera battery failed during the tailgate so game pics are on my phone and its not PC compatible.

Anyway, buddy of mine called SAT morning his brother stuck in Philly cause of snow - I inherited his ticket.

We were going to do the train but my buddy opted to drive as he did not want to get up early MON and mess with the train.

We stayed at a nearby downtown hotel - nothing fancy, about a mile from the stadium. Once we checked in the had a hotel cab that would take you to and from the game for 5 bucks.

We tailgated with a group of fans from .......

http://www.pantherfanz.net/

They had a pretty sweet set up ........... a lot right in front of the stadium.

For 10 bucks you could grab anything to eat you wanted --- oysters, chicken, hotdogs etc. They ask you bring a side. We grabbed a big ass jar of deli cookies on the way down. Its was BYB but my boy had that covered.

Set up included a live band - Contagious Blues they were called, not bad, classic rock covers heavy on the RUSH.

We socialized and such till about 7pm. We arrived around 4.

We then made our way to the stadium - I wanted to do a lap around (inside and out) to check everything out including the team store and promotional booths.

Beers were 6.50/7 bucks depending on what you were after. Not bad - its actually more at a Hurricanes game so I was kind of surprised by that.

Our tickets were up high but provided a good view of everything. We were at the end where the Panthers ended up blowing a call on a kick and going for a failed bomb to end the half. I kind of thought that was going to come back and haunt them.

Uneventful game until the forth when the Panthers offense finally started to click. I enjoyed watching favre spend most of the game picking himself of the turf and called it a night on the inteception in the end zone.

Stadium was about 10-15% Viking fans and it got cold when the sun went down. Not bad in the seats but if you went for a beer you where exposed to a wind that was whipping and an exposed upper concourse.

-blah blah blah ...... here are the pics from the tailgate until the camera failed.

Light covered Panther

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2161/2269732/22828000/380047756.jpg

My buddy Chuck - eagles fan

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2161/2269732/22828000/380047730.jpg

Early into the tailgate

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2161/2269732/22828000/380047708.jpg

Stadium from the tailgate

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2161/2269732/22828000/380047681.jpg

After the game we went back for some more ends - tailgate concluded about midnight. We went back to a small hole in the wall bar near the hotel and shot some pool till they closed.

Got up the next day - I was hurting a bit, not as much as my boy but we slowly made our way back to Raleigh - got home and was ready to chill ...GF had tickets to Canes/Rangers. So I dragged my tired ass to that.

Spent most of yesterday catching up on stuff around the office and house.

two24four
02-23-2010, 12:43 AM
Sounds like the Panthers will not be putting the franchise tag on Peppers, he will become a FA. Go get him BB :D

Motorcat
02-23-2010, 01:24 PM
Good call - thats 21 million better spent elsewhere

Kyle
02-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Yup. Hes a stud but just demands too much. He has to take a paycut if he wants to contend for a SB. New England can't touch him with a 10 foot pole at the rate hes expecting, their concern is Wilfork. I'm sure many other teams after him are in similar situations.

Also - Good call with the Chargers bandwagon to start the season. Fluke loss vs the Jets aside, I think they were the best team in the league this year and will be just as good next year.

dw13
02-23-2010, 01:39 PM
Yup. Hes a stud but just demands too much. He has to take a paycut if he wants to contend for a SB. New England can't touch him with a 10 foot pole at the rate hes expecting, their concern is Wilfork. I'm sure many other teams after him are in similar situations.

Also - Good call with the Chargers banwagon to start the season. Fluke loss vs the Jets aside, I think they were the best team in the league this year and will be just as good next year.

With more than likely a rookie RB and the same team most likely? As long as Norv Turner is there, I'll play that team anyday of the week in the playoffs.

Kyle
02-23-2010, 01:46 PM
Running back is not a huge concern for them. They just need someone who can at least pound it in like LT did last year (Hint - 95% of the RBs in the league could've scored every one of his TDs).

When the 31st rushing team in the league comes out with a rookie RB, I don't think anyones concerned about their ability to replicate what they did last year.

If anything a rookie running back only opens up the potential for a legit ground threat which could only improve them. They can NOT do worse than their running game last year so I don't get why you'd call that an issue.

dw13
02-23-2010, 02:55 PM
Running back is not a huge concern for them. They just need someone who can at least pound it in like LT did last year (Hint - 95% of the RBs in the league could've scored every one of his TDs).

When the 31st rushing team in the league comes out with a rookie RB, I don't think anyones concerned about their ability to replicate what they did last year.

If anything a rookie running back only opens up the potential for a legit ground threat which could only improve them. They can NOT do worse than their running game last year so I don't get why you'd call that an issue.

I have no doubt they'll win the division again, but with no ground game, a soft team and Norv Turner as their HC (I guess those last 2 go together). They'll bust out in the playoffs again.

Kyle
02-23-2010, 04:16 PM
I don't think they busted at all. Failed to cap off a few good drives, had horrible kicker luck, and defense let out one huge rush against the best rushing team in the league. No big deal. Overall their defense stopped the Jets more often than not and would've been praised if the offense could've given them a bigger lead to sit on (Which most who watched the game agree was very close to being the case). But the offense didn't and the Jets got to pull ahead and play Jets football in the second half.

Overall though the Chargers played a fantastic 1st half but just didn't follow through with what they needed which was a bigger lead. They produced enough for it but missed kicks and failed execution at the end of successful drives shot them in the foot.

Overall, I just can't fathom how their lack of run game or how soft they are had anything to do with losing that game. I'm not disputing that those may be issues with the team, but they still managed to have everyones vote as the top team in the NFL entering the playoffs (Admittedly largely thanks to poor finishes by Colts/Saints) and overall they DID play a really good game vs the Jets.

I'm trying to keep this away from who should've won that game. I don't care. But the Chargers played a very quality game of football and just failed to reach the extra inch. I guess you can generalize that as soft but in reality it was just perfectly routine errors that just happened a little too often. They perfectly played the dominating game that made them 13-3 until the momentum just completely tidal waved all over them with that long run TD.

I've never been all about who wins and who loses. All that means is who gets the trophy. Winning matters but quality of play is something I respect much more than winning a game. I give props to the team who played best, not the team who won, and from that perspective I saw no concern with the Chargers play. They almost blew the game up against the league's best defense and just kept falling short of padding their lead. It happens and nothing that really occured in the game shows any alarm signals for any position outside the kicker.

So, yeah Chargers lost. But they played great football, can expect to not ever go 0/4 on the FG column in the playoffs again, and they will be back next year for their next shot at it. No worries in San Diego, IMO.

dw13
02-23-2010, 04:29 PM
I don't think they busted at all. Failed to cap off a few good drives, had horrible kicker luck, and defense let out one huge rush against the best rushing team in the league. No big deal. Overall their defense stopped the Jets more often than not and would've been praised if the offense could've given them a bigger lead to sit on (Which most who watched the game agree was very close to being the case). But the offense didn't and the Jets got to pull ahead and play Jets football in the second half.

Overall though the Chargers played a fantastic 1st half but just didn't follow through with what they needed which was a bigger lead. They produced enough for it but missed kicks and failed execution at the end of successful drives shot them in the foot.

Overall, I just can't fathom how their lack of run game or how soft they are had anything to do with losing that game. I'm not disputing that those may be issues with the team, but they still managed to have everyones vote as the top team in the NFL entering the playoffs (Admittedly largely thanks to poor finishes by Colts/Saints) and overall they DID play a really good game vs the Jets.

I'm trying to keep this away from who should've won that game. I don't care. But the Chargers played a very quality game of football and just failed to reach the extra inch. I guess you can generalize that as soft but in reality it was just perfectly routine errors that just happened a little too often. They perfectly played the dominating game that made them 13-3 until the momentum just completely tidal waved all over them with that long run TD.

Chargers were fine against the Jets and I have no concern with their ability to take it all the way to the SB. Rivers will have a ring soon, Brees better laugh it up while he can.

Not a chance do the Chargers win a title under Norv Turner. I'm not just talking about this year, and I don't care what they did against the Jets. Those are the games they've lost under Norv.

They can beat the teams like the Colts and Titans, etc because they don't play a tough style of football. They lose against the Jets, Pats and Steelers because those teams are the ones who punch you in the face, and Norv doesn't coach that way.

They have completely underachieved outside of 2007 (even then, we all said they had the best team going into it and they didn't get to the Superbowl) under his reign over the past 3 years they have had the talent to win the title and they haven't done that, not even the AFC title.

Some of that talent is now is starting to dry up (LT, Merriman) and they will always win football games because of top Quarterback play from Rivers, but they won't ever win highly meaningful games because of poor coaching. Some even say Rivers doesn't have the mental make-up to win one, but I see his performance on the field and I know he has all the tools to do it... I just don't think he has the personnel anymore, nor the coaching.

AFC West will be weak again next year and they should win the division, we will see if they/Norv can right the wrongs of the past three years and prove me wrong.

Kyle
02-23-2010, 04:54 PM
You're using arguably the flukiest game of the year to determine Chargers can't beat Jets?

Come on man, you love to call me dramatic, take some of your own advice. If you're going to keep pushing me in this direction I'll say it: The Chargers outclassed the Jets despite the loss. I hate that you're making me say it but get real. The Jets are not a team the Chargers are worried about. They can easily beat them and you're just out of your mind if you actually think the Jets are more likely to win than the Chargers in a matchup right now.

I'm not saying the Jets can't beat the Chargers again, but you look at the ENTIRE piece of work and not just 1 good throw by Sanches and 1 long rush by Green, and you're just a damn idiot if you can't see just how outclassed the Jets were through most of that game. Its one thing to be losing, but they were just a tier lower until that crazy few minute segment with the two TDs.

Seriously, your insinuation that the Jets were too hard/tough for Turner to beat is a complete joke. I'm not denying the Jets are a way tougher team than the Chargers. But quit being a sucker for your fatass coach shouting THATS FUCING JETS FOOTBALL BABY. Jets football is not averaging 3-3.5 yards a rush until you finally break a long one, getting annihilated for 200 yards passing in the first half, and comming out of the first half with 80-90 total yards of offense.

So, Chargers can handle Jets football fine. Getting punched in the face had nothing to do with their loss. If the Chargers collapsed and quit, tell me that. But they didn't and until the very end of the game they were clearly the superior team and the only one doing anything with consistency.

Sorry, I don't want to discuss this shit anymore, but how can you tell me the Chargers can't beat the Jets style? Dude, they smacked the Jet's style around like it was their bitch and just got enormously unlucky. It happens.

And the Steelers? Really? :lol:

Anyone with half a brain and without massive bias would without hesitation pick the Chargers to beat the Jets in any matchup, season or playoffs. You can use toughness as an advantage for the Jets but to act like it outweighs the million advantages the Chargers have is downright silly.

Its funny because I'd expect the Chargers to win 7/10 games against all 3 teams you said they can't beat. You really couldn't be any more biased against them.

Kyle
02-23-2010, 05:03 PM
AFC West will be weak again next year and they should win the division, we will see if they/Norv can right the wrongs of the past three years and prove me wrong.

A new field goal kicker is the only wrong they need to right from last year.

dw13
02-23-2010, 05:03 PM
You're using arguably the flukiest game of the year to determine Chargers can't beat Jets?

Come on man, you love to call me dramatic, take some of your own advice. If you're going to keep pushing me in this direction I'll say it: The Chargers outclassed the Jets despite the loss. I hate that you're making me say it but get real. The Jets are not a team the Chargers are worried about. They can easily beat them and you're just out of your mind if you actually think the Jets are more likely to win than the Chargers in a matchup right now.

I'm not saying the Jets played a bad game by any stretch of the imagination but at the end of the day, you look at the ENTIRE piece of work and not just 1 good throw by Sanches and 1 long rush by Green, and you're just a damn idiot if you think the Jets would beat the Chargers playing like that more than 1/10 times.

Sorry, I know its just about fact by now that your homer meter goes through the roof when we open this subject, but if you're going to make ridiculous claims like that and force me to, then I will oblige.

Seriously, your insinuation that the Jets were too hard/tough for Turner to beat is a complete joke and essentially proves that reason flies out the window when you open up the subject. I'm not denying the Jets are a way tougher team than the Chargers. But quit being a sucker for your fatass coach shouting THATS FUCING JETS FOOTBALL BABY. Jets football is not averaging 3-3.5 yards a rush until you finally break a long one, getting annihilated for 200 yards passing in the first half, and comming out of the first half with 80-90 total yards of offense. Jets football was embarassed for 45 minutes and had no business even being in this game defensively or offensively.

This is where you say some variation of "Coulda, woulda, shoulda, didn't. Jets won" to which I'll respond in advance with I don't give a shit who won. Because we're not talking about a past game now, we're talking about a potential future matchup. And right now anyone with half a brain and without massive bias would without hesitation pick the Chargers to cruise past the Jets in any matchup, season or playoffs.

I'm not just talking about the Jets game, didn't I already say that? But the only thing I really have to say back about the Jets game, that long run we broke was actually from our consistent pressure wearing away on their defensive front, and we finally broke one free. But I don't really care about that game (although it is a good reference on how the Chargers are not a tough team). Next year, the Jets will be an even better matchup to beat the Chargers. Another year with the Rex defense, and another year of Sanchez growing up. But as I said, it's more than just that... I'm not in the argument because the Jets beat them, you seem to think when I football, I only discuss the Jets.

The Chargers have proven time after time that they do not play tough football. In this league, you have to be able to atleast establish a ground game, something the Chargers have completely turned away from which can only hurt them in the playoffs. Passing can get you by the in regular season and what not, but when it comes crunch time you need that run game.

They've not be able to solve the Pats and Steelers in the playoffs, two team that play the full game in your face and putting pressure on your whole team. They've crumbled against those two teams in the playoffs multiple times if I'm not mistaken.

Norv had the soft reputation all the way back to the days he coached the Redskins. He was given a team in the Chargers that had all the talent in the world on both sides of the football, and he still hasn't won an AFC title.

Until they actually go out there in December/January, and win a meaningful game against a team known for being smash mouth, I'll stick to my guns that he is soft.

I just don't understand how being a Jets fan makes me biased in this argument man... I have no dislike against the Chargers... they mean nothing to me.

(Funny because as I type this, a columnist on the Jim Rome show just called the Chargers soft).

dw13
02-23-2010, 05:08 PM
http://i45.tinypic.com/5kkln4.jpg

Cromartie is a perfect example of being soft. He actually ran away from Greene when given the chance to make a play.

Kyle
02-23-2010, 05:08 PM
Ok, we're on two different pages. You're holding their history against them and I thought you were making your claims based on a game that most would say they deserved to win.

And do note I've never disputed that they're soft. Only disputed that that will prevent them from winning a SB. Colts and Saints are both soft teams.

dw13
02-23-2010, 05:09 PM
Ok, we're on two different pages. You're holding their history against them and I thought you were making your claims based on a game that most would say they deserved to win.

And do note I've never disputed that they're soft. Only disputed that that will prevent them from winning a SB. Colts and Saints are both soft teams.

Colts are(were) soft, but they are a great team thats built around speed and Manning. The Saints are not. That Offensive line is fucking mean, and that defense's mentality changed with Williams. They have finesse skill players, definitely. Not soft though.

Glad you see what I was getting at though. I'm not talking about the Jets game, at all.

Kyle
02-23-2010, 05:24 PM
They've not be able to solve the Pats and Steelers in the playoffs

There isn't a team in the NFL that is as good physically as the Pats and Steelers the Chargers lost to. Jets right now aren't close to either team (of the past) and neither are the current Steelers/Pats. The NFL has gotten extremely soft progressively these last 3-4 years as its made a transition to a passing league. Ultimately, yeah, the Chargers might not be able to figure out those teams, but it doesn't matter if they don't exist. Jets are as close as it gets right now and the Chargers proved they can handle them. No one plays with the SB Pats/Steelers level of physicality anymore, Ravens try but they're not quite there either. Ultimately the Chargers being soft is irrelevant to their SB chances.

I think the Saints D is very soft but thats just me.

dw13
02-23-2010, 05:25 PM
There isn't a team in the NFL that is as good physically as the Pats and Steelers the Chargers lost to. Jets right now aren't close to either team (of the past) and neither are the current Steelers/Pats. The NFL has gotten extremely soft progressively these last 3-4 years as its made a transition to a passing league. Ultimately, yeah, the Chargers might not be able to figure out those teams, but it doesn't matter if they don't exist. Sorry but the Jets don't fit the mold and the chargers proved they can handle them. No one plays with the SB Pats/Steelers level of physicality anymore, Ravens try but they're not quite there either. Ultimately the Chargers being soft is irrelevant to their SB chances.

I'll agree to disagree.

Kyle
02-23-2010, 05:27 PM
Fair enough. I just can't think of any teams off the top of my head who I would say would bully the Chargers like the Pats/Steelers/Ravens have done throughout the decade (but are simply unable to now).

dw13
02-23-2010, 05:30 PM
Fair enough. I just can't think of any teams off the top of my head who I would say would bully the Chargers like the Pats/Steelers/Ravens have done throughout the decade (but are simply unable to now).

I agree the league has opened up much more, and I'll use my Jets as an example. I know we are going to need to be able to open it up more with Sanchez, and we will with his maturing process but you said we weren't doing anything special on the ground until the long (game-changing run) but that's the Jets specialties. You could tell that the Chargers front was physically dead from our mauling offensive line, not to mention Cromartie is a bitch who won't stick his nose in a tackle.

Either way, it's an interesting debate. Like I said though, I also think that the Chargers talent has started to dry up. (outside of Rivers, Gates and Jackson).

Kyle
02-23-2010, 05:37 PM
Its a fair argument and it has proven true for the Jets throughout the year. I don't disagree that they wore the Chargers out, my point is more that the Chargers can compensate for their lack of physicality by being so offensively dominant that it doesn't matter if they can't hold the run well at the end of games. I think with a bit less bad luck the game against the Jets would've been too out of reach for that one long TD by Green to make the difference. I know you're not basing it all of that game but thats just one example.

Yes its an issue but ultimately the Jets are the only team in the entire NFL who actually plays "grind your ass to the bone" running football with any degree of team success. There just aren't enough teams who do it well to expose the Charger's lack of physicality.

And yes that is a bitch play by Cromartie for sure.

King_Killah
03-03-2010, 01:24 PM
Ummmm.......all this Chargers talk in the Panthers thread!!

Back on tap with the Panthers... Mike Vick expresses interest in playing with/for the Panthers if Philly decides to cut him. I could see that fit.

Spartan
03-03-2010, 01:27 PM
Ummmm.......all this Chargers talk in the Panthers thread!!

Back on tap with the Panthers... Mike Vick expresses interest in playing with/for the Panthers if Philly decides to cut him. I could see that fit.He would be a good fit. Carolina has a lot of recent experience turning the ball over 4 and 5 times a game. Vick has proven he can do that.

Motorcat
03-03-2010, 01:55 PM
I'd be stunned if the Panthers took him in .......... if memory serves - ownership was adamant about "no interest" in Vick and his lack of character the 1st time around.

I believe the Richardson's are animal activists - maybe that is not the right word but either way - animal friendly supporters.

b_illin
03-04-2010, 04:27 PM
He would be a good fit. Carolina has a lot of recent experience turning the ball over 4 and 5 times a game. Vick has proven he can do that.

:lol::lol::lol:

Spartan
03-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Jake Delhomme has been cut.

dw13
03-04-2010, 10:18 PM

Vick or McNabb?

Kyle
03-04-2010, 10:21 PM
I like McNabb to Smith over Vick trying to carry the offense.

Spartan
03-04-2010, 10:24 PM
All things equal I like Matt Moore just as much as those. I'm not sure McNabb leaves Philly yet.

dw13
03-04-2010, 10:30 PM
All things equal I like Matt Moore just as much as those. I'm not sure McNabb leaves Philly yet.

One of those QB's has to go, right? McNabb, Kolb or Vick. I like any of those 3 over Matt Moore, unless they could have a Jimmy Clausen fall into their laps and can give him a little learning time.

Doctego
03-05-2010, 09:26 AM

What's his accelerated cap hit?? I figured that his number and the fact that he and Fox were attached at the hip kept him around this long.

Spartan
03-05-2010, 09:37 AM
No cap this year Doc.

Dubz
03-05-2010, 09:57 AM
http://i45.tinypic.com/5kkln4.jpg

Cromartie is a perfect example of being soft. He actually ran away from Greene when given the chance to make a play.

Well enjoy him on your team then:lol:

Ive never been a fan of Jake the Snake. Its a good move by the Panthers.

Doctego
03-05-2010, 10:14 AM
No cap this year Doc.

Shit. I didn't read up on the specifics. I know about the uncapped scenario but, for some reason, I thought that people would still somehow be screwed.

I have been sick for like 3 weeks and my old age is catching up to me. We basically have no cap at all next season (with no future ramifications) and then a lockout the following season if no agreement is reached?? Is that about it??

Spartan
03-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Shit. I didn't read up on the specifics. I know about the uncapped scenario but, for some reason, I thought that people would still somehow be screwed.

I have been sick for like 3 weeks and my old age is catching up to me. We basically have no cap at all next season (with no future ramifications) and then a lockout the following season if no agreement is reached?? Is that about it??In a nutshell yes.

King_Killah
03-05-2010, 12:33 PM
An agreement will be reached though.... Bank on that!

King_Killah
04-23-2010, 06:20 PM
With their first pick of the 2010 draft, they select, Jimmy Clausen.....

GREAT PICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is stepping into a good situation. Great running game. Won't have to win games. Just not lose them. Love the pick.

two24four
04-23-2010, 07:29 PM
This was an awesome pick for the Panthers, my buddie who lives down there is jumping off the walls right now, lol.

Spartan
04-23-2010, 10:41 PM
With their first pick of the 2010 draft, they select, Jimmy Clausen.....

GREAT PICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is stepping into a good situation. Great running game. Won't have to win games. Just not lose them. Love the pick.Yep, Clausen ends up in a huge advantage over the field. Beat out Matt Moore and you have Jordan Gross on the left with that running game, Steve Smith and now Brandon Lafell. That is a tough division.

FlyGuy78
04-23-2010, 11:10 PM
I think King nailed it perfectly...he won't have to win games, just not lose them. They have a stellar run game and if Steve Smith can get back to form, their defense will hold them in most games. And like Spartan said, not much competition in the QB dept on CAR. He is said to be the most NFL ready QB of the draft and he may get a chance to prove that opening day.

Spartan
04-24-2010, 08:30 AM
There is no doubt about Clausen's talent. He was the top QB prospect out of High School but acted like a diva. Remember the Limo and press conference to announce he was going to ND? Maybe this draft slide is exactly what he needs to check himself and work hard.

King_Killah
04-24-2010, 10:26 AM
There is no doubt about Clausen's talent. He was the top QB prospect out of High School but acted like a diva. Remember the Limo and press conference to announce he was going to ND? Maybe this draft slide is exactly what he needs to check himself and work hard.

Agree with this statement!!!

two24four
04-24-2010, 02:52 PM
Panthers draft another QB in the 6th, Tony Pike.

King_Killah
04-24-2010, 08:44 PM
Panthers draft another QB in the 6th, Tony Pike.

Someone needs to back up Clausen!!! :D

FlyGuy78
01-04-2011, 03:39 PM
According to ESPN.com's Pat Yasinskas, the Panthers have already decided to select Stanford QB Andrew Luck with the No. 1 overall pick if he enters the 2011 NFL draft.

Owner Jerry Richardson hinted as much in a media session Tuesday. "I think it would be somewhat unusual for us to trade down in this particular case," Richardson said. Hall of Famer and Stanford alum John Elway conceded after Monday's Orange Bowl that Luck "pretty much has to go" to the NFL considering the financial bottom line. Selecting Luck would be a concession by Carolina that Jimmy Clausen was a waste of a second-round pick. The Panthers are without their 2011 second-rounder after flipping it for receiver project Armanti Edwards in last year's draft.

I haven't watched this kid play that much at all this year but I have heard many good things about him. What is everyone's thoughts on this guy? Will he be a bust?

Doctego
01-04-2011, 03:42 PM
I haven't watched this kid play that much at all this year but I have heard many good things about him. What is everyone's thoughts on this guy? Will he be a bust?

Nothing that I have seen from him would indicate that he will be a bust. That said, the same could be said for a lot of QB that turned out to be shit. The bottom line is that you never know and anyone that says differently is full of shit.

dw13
01-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Could still see Denver/Carolina flipping picks if Harbaugh is Denvers next coach.

two24four
01-04-2011, 04:42 PM
I think the Panthers pretty much have to take Luck #1 if he comes out, Clausen really did not look good at all this season.

Spartan
01-04-2011, 06:03 PM
You never pass on a potential franchise QB. Even if they think highly of Clausen, take Luck and let them battle it out in camp. Trade one of them in a few seasons if they both pan out. The Chargers had a similar situation with Brees and Rivers. IF they pass on Luck and Clausen is a bust their franchise is screwed for five more years.

eff1ngham
01-04-2011, 08:55 PM
the same could be said for a lot of QB that turned out to be shit.

A lot of first round QBs who were busts either played in gimmicky, college-style offenses where they relied on physical talent alone, or if they played in a pro-style offense weren't able to adapt to needing to change plays/routes/blocking schemes at the line or check down to their 3rd or 4th options. Luck already seems comfortable using tight ends, checking down to his other receivers, and changing things at the line. All those things point to him being a NFL-ready QB.

But as you said no one knows for sure

King_Killah
01-05-2011, 07:53 PM
It was already made public that if Luck comes out Carolina makes them the #1 pick overall and will not trade the pick. That said...will Luck really be the next coming of John Elway as has been thrown about the media circles recently???

two24four
01-06-2011, 01:55 AM
Mel Kiper was just on ESPN radio, when asked who he thinks Luck reminds him of, he said Luck is a more athletic Peyton Manning.

Snipes16
01-06-2011, 02:04 AM
With Carolina's luck he'll head back to school forcing heavy doses of curdled Clausen down their throats for the forseeable future

two24four
01-06-2011, 02:40 PM
With Carolina's luck he'll head back to school forcing heavy doses of curdled Clausen down their throats for the forseeable future

haha, he's staying in school for another year.

King_Killah
01-06-2011, 10:32 PM
haha, he's staying in school for another year.

Stupid on his part... Here is why. He was recruited out of high school as a phenomenal athlete with incredible academic skills. He is at the level where he, his family, his kids, his kids kids, and their kids can be taken care of for life. Yes there will be a new rookie cap...and now that he is staying, there will definitely be a new rookie cap, so he is losing out on incredible money. Plus, what if the upcoming season he either shits the bed or even worse, gets hurt??? Draft value drops. Word is that he is chosing to stay because Carolina publicly announced he is their #1 pick. How does he know the following season the #1 pick won't be a worse option?

boredguy
01-06-2011, 11:52 PM
Mel Kiper was just on ESPN radio, when asked who he thinks Luck reminds him of, he said Luck is a more athletic Peyton Manning.

You really love the "looks like player x" shit don't you? :p

And i'll agree with KK, he's tossing a shit ton of guaranteed money away and he'll still end up on a shitbox team next season.

FlyGuy78
01-07-2011, 12:01 AM
How does he know the following season the #1 pick won't be a worse option?

Like the Raiders! :D

dw13
01-07-2011, 12:04 AM
I don't buy into the whole doesn't want to go to the Panthers thing. Everyone I've heard from says he's been focused on completing school for a long while now and it was no surprise to people he stayed. He's going to be the #1 pick when he comes out, so what's the difference? The new CBA will kick in next season and limit his big pay check, he'll still get one though. Congrats to him for making a decision that's tough and that will make him happy in the future.

two24four
01-07-2011, 12:27 AM
You really love the "looks like player x" shit don't you? :p

And i'll agree with KK, he's tossing a shit ton of guaranteed money away and he'll still end up on a shitbox team next season.

I'm not the one who said he looks like P. Manning, Kiper did, I have not see enough of Luck to really say anything good or bad about him.

It's a good way to judge players coming into leagues IMO, scouts are doing it all the time, one of the frist things you hear GM's or scouts say when asked about a prospect is xxxx look like yyyy.

b_illin
01-07-2011, 11:02 AM
If I were Luck I'd have declared for the draft, but maybe the kid is so confident in himself that he knows he will succeed whether he slides next year or not....and that he will have a tremendous career and make tons of money. You can spin this a bunch of ways...

eff1ngham
01-07-2011, 11:07 AM
Stupid on his part... Here is why. He was recruited out of high school as a phenomenal athlete with incredible academic skills. He is at the level where he, his family, his kids, his kids kids, and their kids can be taken care of for life. Yes there will be a new rookie cap...and now that he is staying, there will definitely be a new rookie cap, so he is losing out on incredible money. Plus, what if the upcoming season he either shits the bed or even worse, gets hurt??? Draft value drops.

Come on, that's BS. He's staying to try and win a national championship, and to get a college degree from Stanford. That's not stupid. Could it cost him money if he's the #1 pick next year as opposed to this year? Sure. But we're still talking tens of millions of dollars. It's not like he can't support himself and his family for life on #1 pick money next year. Could he shit the bed next season? Yeah, but that's not likely to happen. Could he get hurt? Of course, but that's not likely to change his draft value. Look at Sam Bradford last year, still the #1 pick even though he was hurt

King_Killah
01-07-2011, 11:19 PM
Come on, that's BS. He's staying to try and win a national championship, and to get a college degree from Stanford. That's not stupid. Could it cost him money if he's the #1 pick next year as opposed to this year? Sure. But we're still talking tens of millions of dollars. It's not like he can't support himself and his family for life on #1 pick money next year. Could he shit the bed next season? Yeah, but that's not likely to happen. Could he get hurt? Of course, but that's not likely to change his draft value. Look at Sam Bradford last year, still the #1 pick even though he was hurt

That's ridiculous... He can get his college degree from Stanford or where he wants to when he is done with ball. Hey whatever... Personal decision, who am I to argue. Business decision, not so good. Funny thing about this is I was listening to sports radio and he was the heated debate. All but one of the hosts and more than half the people calling in all took the same approach that I did, the one host and the rest of the people were leaning the other way. He isn't going to win a national championship. He WILL win the Heisman though. He could support his him and his family with an NFL contract for being selected in the 3rd round. Just a little odd that's all... The clear cut #1 and he decides to head back. Hey, more power to him. Maybe San Fran will intentionally tank so they can get the #1 in '12, and Harbaugh can draft his boy Luck!

two24four
01-07-2011, 11:28 PM
So what do the Panthers do now the #1 pick, keep it, trade it?

King_Killah
01-07-2011, 11:41 PM
So what do the Panthers do now the #1 pick, keep it, trade it?

I have them going after AJ Green, the next elite WR - of Randy Moss, Calvin Johnson mold. If they don't go with that, then possibly Nick Fairley or Mel Kiper's favorite pick Da'Quan Bowers.

King_Killah
04-28-2011, 07:10 PM
There it is..... Cam Newton.

FlyGuy78
07-27-2011, 04:38 PM
DeWill resigns a huge 5-year deal with the Panthers.