PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Chargers

King_Killah
06-22-2008, 11:36 AM
Sources are reporting that the San Diego Chargers are making WR Eric Parker available in a trade, following the signing of WR/KR Mark Jones (http://www.footballguys.com/JoneMa01-1.php). According to reports, Parker will either be released or traded by the start of training camp next month. Parker is a former starter for the Chargers but has battled injuries recently.
General Manager A.J. Smith declined comment.

"We don't discuss our football business," Smith said.

Parker's agent, Jack Bechta, is expected to take a role in facilitating a trade, though he said he was just learning about the situation.

"If this is happening, I will get involved," Bechta said. "I will start taking the lead. With the relationship I have with the front office and the respect Eric has garnered, I'm sure they'll let us participate in the process."

Hmmm....Interesting to see where Parker would end up. I don't see him making a big splash where ever he lands though.

FlyGuy78
06-22-2008, 12:18 PM
You had to make a post about Eric Parker!! You must be bored! :D

King_Killah
06-22-2008, 05:51 PM
You had to make a post about Eric Parker!! You must be bored! :D

As I find info, I post it. Some people have Eric Parker on their teams. Not you or I, but some do...

b_illin
06-23-2008, 10:18 AM
As I find info, I post it. Some people have Eric Parker on their teams. Not you or I, but some do...

Yes, Eric Parker's brother and father. :D

Hockeyis#1
06-23-2008, 07:57 PM
Parker's kinda been an underachiever in my limited NFL followings.

As long as no more of our defensive starters start shootouts with law enforcement, we'll be ok.

King_Killah
07-10-2008, 02:22 PM
Later round sleeper?

San Diego Chargers wide receiver Legedu Naanee (http://www.footballguys.com/NaanLe00-1.php) is expected to see an increased role in the team's offense during the 2008 season. "Just with the way last year went, the coaches expect more from me," Naanee said. "That's exciting. I'm ready to step up to the task."

Can we see Legedu on fantasy teams this year???

King_Killah
07-24-2008, 05:09 PM
Gates...

San Diego Chargers TE Antonio Gates (http://www.footballguys.com/GateAn00-1.php) tested his surgically repaired left big toe Monday at in a 45-minute workout at training camp and said it's about 65 to 70 percent healed. He did some running and cutting, but that was about it. Gates underwent surgery in late-February to repair what he said was a tear in the plantar plate. "Obviously, it's a process," Gates said. "I'm a lot better than I felt a month ago. I can say that. I have no determinant on when and how fast I'll be coming back. But right now, I feel good. It's a little sore, but it's tolerable."

Huge injury, big concern. People thinks oh its just a toe. Yeah, well...a toe is a toe and tearing the plantar plate isn't a pleasant thing.

FlyGuy78
07-24-2008, 07:13 PM
he'll be fine.

Hockeyis#1
07-25-2008, 10:06 PM
Gates practically IS our passing option. I was really hoping that this would have been all cleared up by now. I'd HATE to start the season with our elite TE having injury concerns.

I'd still argue that if we hadn't got beat the hell up VS the Colts and been entirely healthy, we COULD have beat the pats in the AFC game last season....

King_Killah
08-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Rehab is going better than he ever anticipated. If it keeps at this pace, with the gains outpacing the setbacks, with him able to manage the discomfort, Antonio Gates (http://www.footballguys.com/GateAn00-1.php) believes he will definitely be ready for the opener. But Gates won't just come back to be back. This team is too talented and too dedicated to winning for me to come back and not be ready to contribute, said Gates, who had surgery on his left big toe in late February. I wouldn't shortchange this team. Being out there and playing is one thing, but contributing is another.

A week or so ago, Gates was talking about being 65-70% ready, now he's talking as if he can go full blast. Once the pads go on and there is full contact, let's see how well he does and take it from there.

King_Killah
08-10-2008, 12:15 PM
The Chargers will hold out RB LaDainian Tomlinson (http://www.footballguys.com/TomlLa00-1.php) in the preseason game and will list a "sore groin" as the reason. He is fine though according to Kevin Acee of the Union-Tribune. Technically, teams can only hold out injured players for preseason games as they charge regular season ticket prices. But the Chargers are going with the wink wink approach here.

Relax, relax... LT is fine...

Hockeyis#1
08-11-2008, 10:38 AM
LT hasn't played a preseason game in how many years?

King_Killah
08-22-2008, 10:55 AM
Shawne Merriman will return from Birmingham, Ala., today after consulting with orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews about lingering pain in his left knee.
Further surgery is an option for the three-time Pro Bowl linebacker, but it is also possible Merriman will be able to begin the season.

Merriman, who has been working rigorously on the side throughout training camp, made the decision along with his advisers to see Andrews on Tuesday and flew to Alabama. He was examined by Andrews yesterday, but a source said a diagnosis and course of action will not be known for a while.

For IDP leagues and those closely watching defense.

If your draft was tonight, I would bump Merriman down a bit. If you already drafted him, keep an eye out.

Reports are all over the board on this one...everything from his career could be over to he'll be in there week 1. Something is clearly wrong if you hop on a plain, leave San Diego and head to Birmingham to see Dr. Andrews. I am sure more will come out over this over the next few days.

King_Killah
08-26-2008, 11:20 AM
After three doctors advised against playing, he is still not happy...

San Diego Chargers LB Shawne Merriman seems intent on playing in 2008. "I can't imagine not playing football this year," Merriman said. "I really can't. That's what this is all about. I want to see that I can play ... I haven't made my decision yet, but I am going to do everything I can to play. That's what this is all about. I have to go make this last trip and the get back with the team and figure it all out. This is all about me playing. That's all I want to do."

So he making a trip to a fourth. Why is he willing to risk his career?

two24four
08-26-2008, 12:15 PM
After three doctors advised against playing, he is still not happy...

So he making a trip to a fourth. Why is he willing to risk his career?

Yeah really, take the season off, and come back a 100% next season.

dw13
08-27-2008, 01:38 PM
He is playing.

Thanks for the win week 4 Chargers! :D

King_Killah
08-27-2008, 01:51 PM
He is playing.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

FlyGuy78
08-27-2008, 02:06 PM
He is playing.

they will still beat you!! :lol:

two24four
08-27-2008, 02:09 PM
they will still beat you!! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

By the way, it's week 3, not week 4 when the Jets play SD.

King_Killah
08-27-2008, 02:15 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

By the way, it's week 3, not week 4 when the Jets play SD.

Doesn't matter... The same result is bound to happen anyway... How funny would it be for the Phins to open 2-2 and the Jets to open 0-4. Wow... I think someone may have a stroke!

dw13
08-27-2008, 02:48 PM
Doesn't matter... The same result is bound to happen anyway... How funny would it be for the Phins to open 2-2 and the Jets to open 0-4. Wow... I think someone may have a stroke!

I was joking about Merriman's steroid self.

But its no joke about beating the piss out of Miami, once again.

King_Killah
08-31-2008, 12:03 AM
San Diego Chargers TE Antonio Gates (http://www.footballguys.com/GateAn00-1.php) is confident he will be able to play and contribute this season. However, he admits he has no idea how his foot injury will treat him this year. "It could be a hindrance this season," Gates said. "I'm going to play and it is going to be OK. But it could bother me. I've practiced and it's been OK. But let's face it, nothing compares to game day. Game day will be the key for me."

At this point, I don't think this news lessens Gates value. He'll likely remain being the top TE in most drafts. That said, its a little disheartening to hear him say it could be a hindrance himself.

dw13
09-07-2008, 06:17 PM
Nice game Chargers. Go ahead and get your surgery done Merri-roid.

:D :D :D

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
09-07-2008, 06:39 PM
what a finish! Delommmmmeeeeee. Hell of a win.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
09-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Merriman smartens up! Glad somebody knocked some sense into the kid.

Season ending surgery to come.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-chargers-merrimansurgery&prov=ap&type=lgns

SAN DIEGO (AP)—Star outside linebacker Shawne Merriman (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7188/;_ylt=AmJzmLantxAHbj8aUsGF_jYdsLYF) pulled the plug on his 2008 season on Tuesday when he told the San Diego Chargers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/sdg/;_ylt=AoCXQlXcyzte38_gpnL2i4UdsLYF) he’ll have surgery on the two torn ligaments in his left knee.

The loss of Merriman, whose hard hits earned him the nickname “Lights Out,” is a big one for a team that has Super Bowl expectations.

Merriman’s decision came two days after he barely resembled the player who had an NFL-high 39 1/2 sacks in the past three seasons and played in three straight Pro Bowls.

Merriman didn’t immediately return e-mails and telephone calls seeking comment.

“Shawne informed me he did not feel right and thought it best to shut it down,” Chargers general manager A.J. Smith said in a statement. “The road to winning the AFC West just got more difficult, but not impossible. Nothing is impossible. Shawne is a great player and an inspirational leader. He will be missed. We wish him a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.”

Merriman had only two tackles in a shocking 26-24 loss to Carolina at home on Sunday. Even though Merriman appeared to be a non-factor, coach Norv Turner said he thought the linebacker looked “explosive and very physical.”

Late in training camp, Merriman said that the posterior cruciate and lateral collateral ligaments in his left knee were torn.
He spent several days getting opinions from four doctors from outside the organization, all of whom recommended he have surgery. But on Aug. 27, he announced that he was going to play, saying, “If you give a football player a decision to play, you know, I’m going to play.”

But, he acknowledged, “I’ll have the surgery at any point. Nobody knows. I kind of left it on the table when to have it. Not even doctors can tell me that.”

Rehab is expected to be six to seven months.

Merriman has said he’s had pain in the knee since late in the 2006 season. He also injured the knee during a game at Tennessee on Dec. 9. He sat out the following Sunday, but played in the last three regular-season games and the Chargers’ three playoff games, including a loss to New England in the AFC championship game. He also played in the Pro Bowl.

Merriman had offseason arthroscopic surgery to repair torn cartilage in the knee.

Skate or Die
09-09-2008, 11:01 PM
What does this do to the fantasy value of the SD defense?

Hockeyis#1
09-09-2008, 11:30 PM

Um..... drop it like its hot?

Spartan
09-10-2008, 06:47 AM
They are still stacked and play in a weak division. Hold them and see what they do for a few weeks.

eff1ngham
09-10-2008, 08:50 AM

They'll still be fine, maybe a few less sacks but it's nothing to worry about

FlyGuy78
09-10-2008, 10:40 AM
I think this brings SD from a Top 3 DEF to a Top 6-7 DEF. It's not enough for me to drop them, but I might look for replacements on weeks where they face a tough offense.

Skate or Die
09-10-2008, 04:26 PM
Cool. I ask because there's some pretty decent defenses on the FA.

Giants
Seahawks
Bucs
Eagles

Avaholic
09-10-2008, 05:42 PM
I've got San Diego and I'm holding tight - some juicy matchups left on their schedule against some very offensively challenged teams.

Week 4 @ OAK (Oakland looks juuuuust...)
Week 5 @ MIA
Week 10 KC
Week 13 ATL (I'm not sold yet)

PLAYOFFS: :cool:

Week 14 OAK
Week 15 @ KC
Week 16 @ TB

Besides, Merriman had a "down" year in 2007 (by his standards), and they were still a top D.

King_Killah
09-10-2008, 06:51 PM
I agree... Don't drop SD. They are still solid. Forget the Seahawks. Those clowns are overrated. Skip on the Giants. They looked good against Washington, but Washington looked more bad than NYG looked good. If you have a player to drop you could look into snagging the Eagles and play the better match-up each week. Although, just like the Giants vs. the Skins, the Eagles beat up on a Rams team that was non-existent. But they are not a bad pick-up. Tampa Bay... Questionable. They aren't the Tampa of old.

Hockeyis#1
10-06-2008, 07:28 AM
God wtf is wrong here. LT logs 35 rush yards?!?!

Can we atleast land some consitency? Like I'm ok if we suck, but this 'flashes of brialliance' shit has to stop filling me with false hope....

Dubz
11-09-2008, 07:19 PM
Anyone see that garbage Pass Interference call at the end of the game. I am seriously thinking the refs have a problem with the SD Chargers.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
11-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Anyone see that garbage Pass Interference call at the end of the game. I am seriously thinking the refs have a problem with the SD Chargers.

Blaming the refs for the outcome of games?

Curious...

:D

Dubz
11-09-2008, 07:58 PM
Blaming the refs for the outcome of games?

Curious...

It didnt change the outcome of this game but it did last time...Im sure you know what im referring to.
Curious about what....the garbage call that happens when the game is on the line?
They play 59 minutes of football.....alot of things slide or dont slide throughout the game. ATP Its the players/coaches who SHOULD determine the outcome. If you seen the call and disagree thats fine. I think you are wrong.

If your still curious.....I"ll just pass it off as you being a bit pissy the Steelers got stopped and flopped in the fourth quarter. (I know that was uncalled for...Ill apologize in advance):D

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
11-09-2008, 08:02 PM
It didnt change the outcome of this game but it did last time...Im sure you know what im referring to.
Curious about what....the garbage call that happens when the game is on the line?
They play 59 minutes of football.....alot of things slide or dont slide throughout the game. ATP Its the players/coaches who SHOULD determine the outcome. If you seen the call and disagree thats fine. I think you are wrong.

If your still curious.....I"ll just pass it off as you being a bit pissy the Steelers got stopped and flopped in the fourth quarter. (I know that was uncalled for...Ill apologize in advance):D

No silly, I could give a shit less about the Chargers.. and have no idea what you are talking about hahahah.. I'm simply curious bc of all the shit you give/have given to one of those Rangers fans who often blames the refs for the outcomes of their games :p :D

Dubz
11-09-2008, 08:33 PM
I had a feeling thats what you were getting at....this is different:lol:

Didnt you post the pic of that lame ass ref Hochuli looking for his contact while the play was going on? Im going to try and find that. *It was KK of course....but you did see it. Sorry again.:$
http://forums.hockeyinformer.com/showpost.php?p=600584&postcount=55

Its hard when you work Sundays and love football.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
11-09-2008, 09:04 PM
I had a feeling thats what you were getting at....this is different:lol:

Didnt you post the pic of that lame ass ref Hochuli looking for his contact while the play was going on? Im going to try and find that. *It was KK of course....but you did see it. Sorry again.:$
http://forums.hockeyinformer.com/showpost.php?p=600584&postcount=55

Its hard when you work Sundays and love football.

hahaha oh man... just giving you some friendly shit, but nice counter, point taken ;)

I honestly didn't see what happened today though... care to clue me in?

Dubz
11-09-2008, 10:07 PM
Just a garbage PI call near the Goal Line during the last minute in a 1 touchdown game. The defender came over the top of the receiver and smashed the ball down. Celebration first....then flag. Really pissed me off and I over reacted.....Had the call cost them the game I would have been totally anti-ref against the SD callers from here on out....Still pissy about Hochuli? Dont tell me them bastards dont chit-chat in the locker room.:wtf:

I honestly didn't see what happened today though...

I know you are playin with me Bonger....I dont mind at all.:cool:

Hockeyis#1
11-26-2008, 12:07 PM
Wow, the bolts got some questionable calls against in that SNF game as well. The Phantom PI call on 3rd down really hurt.

Hockeyis#1
12-05-2008, 03:50 PM
If the 4th quarter of NFL games was 5 minutes shorter, the San Diego Chargers would be 9-4 right now :$ :nono:

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-05-2008, 11:23 PM
I haven't watched many SD games... aside from the Pitt/SD game, probably 0. But I am curious, is the lack of Sean Merrimen on D really hurting them, or are things just.. a mess?

Hockeyis#1
12-06-2008, 10:37 AM
Losing a top player in the league is going to lower your expectations for the whole team, no matter what the team. Lose Tom Brady, the Pats are still a good team, but suddenly 14+ wins seems on the high end.

It's also more than that. Dallas's D shouldn't be affected by the loss of Tony Romo, but the numbers don't lie. Having that confidence, that swagger is a big thing.

San Diego's secondary are getting torched for yards this year, when last year our pass D was middle of the pack. Because stats don't show INT assists. When Shawn Merriman hits a QB mid throw, and that pass wobbles out and gets picked off..or he rushes the throw, etc. No number is tallied. If it were, you'd see that statistic is WAY down (as our INT already are, with practically the same 2ndary). Regardless of whether or not he gets the sack, Merriman created pressure and forced errors to be made. He's one of the best at it, and he's not there anymore. I really think that makes all the difference. You give a QB enough time, he'll burn you 2:1 easily.

And Mike Tolbert IS NOT Lorenzo Neal. Period.

Hockeyis#1
01-17-2009, 06:34 PM
God why can't we fire AJ Smith?

Rodney Harrison
Drew Brees
Junior Seau
Donnie Edwards
Lorenzo Neal

and now possibley LT?

King_Killah
05-18-2009, 01:50 PM
Scott Bair, of the North County Times, reports San Diego Chargers WR Malcom Floyd (http://www.footballguys.com/FloyMa00-1.php) said he is completely recovered from the collapsed lung his suffered last season.

Floyd was a favorite of Rivers in the Red Zone and should emerge back into that role once again. Could have a nice season if Vincent Jackson or Chris Chambers misses anytime.

King_Killah
06-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Kevin Acee, of the San Diego Union-Tribune, reports San Diego Chargers WR Vincent Jackson (http://www.footballguys.com/JackVi00-1.php) has looked very good during offseason practices.

Acee has been gushing over Jackson; "I can't see any reason why this isn't a jump-off year, where he makes a push to be considered one of the league's best receivers." The chances of suspension for his second DUI look to be diminishing with each passing day. His value is growing.

King_Killah
06-18-2009, 05:00 PM
Michael Lombardo, from SDBoltreport.com, reports Kris Wilson (http://www.footballguys.com/WilsKr00-1.php) and Kory Sperry (http://www.footballguys.com/SperKo00-1.php) will engage in one of training camp's most intriguing battles as they fight to be the No. 3 tight end. Wilson has a leg-up because of his experience and versatility, but the San Diego Chargers will be tempted to hang onto Sperry's athleticism and pass-catching skills.

Eh... Wilson was supposed to be the heir apparent to Tony Gonzalez when he was in Kansas City and didn't live up to his hype. Sperry is a me first guy and will be a distraction. Neither worth getting too involved with right now.

Hockeyis#1
06-20-2009, 03:08 AM
I don't really see VJ being a top NFL reciever. A solid starter, but never in the Moss, Fitz, A. Johnson company.

Hockeyis#1
09-06-2009, 08:05 PM
And there goes the Chargers hopes for a good season
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=An7sO2eUZhXjB3zQs8D9tLJDubYF?slug=ap-merrimanarrested&prov=ap&type=lgns

SAN DIEGO (AP)—San Diego Chargers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/sdg/;_ylt=Ap_gTd2hwFx1fGUdGP4YmuwdsLYF) star outside linebacker Shawne Merriman (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7188/;_ylt=AlIPCOiZWCDK8TQ8u0pt6xodsLYF)(notes) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7188/news;_ylt=AojOt2ByJfc7abuqviLsWPkdsLYF) was arrested Sunday and accused of choking and restraining his girlfriend, reality TV star Tila Tequila, as she tried to leave his suburban home.
Tequila, 27, signed a citizen’s arrest warrant, charging Merriman with battery and false imprisonment, San Diego County Sheriff’s Lt. Gary Steadman said.

Nice job jackass.

Dubz
09-06-2009, 08:32 PM
And there goes the Chargers hopes for a good season
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=An7sO2eUZhXjB3zQs8D9tLJDubYF?slug=ap-merrimanarrested&prov=ap&type=lgns

Nice job jackass.

I know its too early to speculate....but this does not look good:wtf:

Hockeyis#1
09-06-2009, 08:59 PM
I figure Tilla Tequila to be the type of media attention whoring female that could do this and blow what happened way out of proportion/make shit up....but Merriman in jail will probably earn him some time off from Goodell and fuck the Chargers D from the get go. I've said it before and I'll say it again, San Diego's D begins and ends with getting pressure on the QB, and no one on that team does it better than Merriman. Pressure = Bad Throws = Turnovers/3 and outs.

Dubz
09-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Ive also read there was plenty of witnesses....

http://tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=290293

Dubz
09-11-2009, 08:09 PM
News: District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis has dismissed reality TV star Tila Tequila's accusations that San Diego Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman (http://534pix.football.cbssports.com/players/playerpage/416752) choked her and threw her to the ground early Sunday. Dumanis announced Friday afternoon there is insufficient evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Merriman committed a crime. Tequila had signed a citizen's arrest warrant charging Merriman with battery and false imprisonment, both felonies. "This case is now closed," Dumanis said in a statement.

Knew it...now clear Big Ben and lets play some Football

Dubz
09-20-2009, 06:20 PM
I am convinced the stripes have it in for the Bolts.

Hockeyis#1
09-22-2009, 08:49 AM
Well, I'm convinced that Darren Sproles will never be an every down back. He's agile, has great moves, and has breakaway speed, but when you can't ever shed a tackle, you don't have what it takes.

two24four
11-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Chargers let Chambers go today.

I would not mind him in New England behind Moss & Welker.

Hockeyis#1
11-02-2009, 07:53 PM
I don't know what to think about Chambers really. He seemed like he has/had talent but it just never translated into anything...

eff1ngham
11-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Yeah, he looked promising in that first year, but really only put it together for one season. And after that he just went to crap, even with a good QB

Hockeyis#1
11-02-2009, 09:31 PM
Yeah, he looked promising in that first year, but really only put it together for one season. And after that he just went to crap, even with a good QB
Being an east coast charger fan, I don't get to see a lot of their games, so I can't say if Rivers really threw his way much, but from the games I saw...it didn't seem like it. Maybe that's him not getting open, maybe it's Rivers looking to Gates/VJ/whoever's in the backfield too much...idk. Someone will take him though.

FlyGuy78
11-02-2009, 09:50 PM
Chambers can't separate from CB's anymore is what I'm hearing. He doesn't have the same breakaway speed that he used to have.

Dubz
11-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Chambers can't separate from CB's anymore is what I'm hearing. He doesn't have the same breakaway speed that he used to have.

Ive watched a couple games and he cant even break back to the ball without being covered....no separation. On top of that he drops balls and tries to make a play before he catches them. I was thinking this was his make or break week and it was. I thought he would show up however....obviously he did not.

Kyle
11-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Absolutely amazing win against the Giants. Great, great finish.

dw13
11-08-2009, 07:25 PM
Absolutely amazing win against the Giants. Great, great finish.

Horrible sub-1 minute D from Giants definitely helped

Hockeyis#1
11-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Suck it Eli!!!

b_illin
11-18-2009, 02:10 PM
What a fucking joke...both of them!

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/091117/entertainment/fbn_merriman_sued

Hockeyis#1
11-18-2009, 03:48 PM
What a fucking joke...both of them!

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/091117/entertainment/fbn_merriman_sued
Another lawsuit that won't go anywhere. I love mutually assured destruction...:lol:

King_Killah
11-25-2009, 03:30 PM
Runyan to retire......and run for Congress!

MOUNT LAUREL, N.J. (AP)—Shortly after signing with the San Diego Chargers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/sdg/;_ylt=AsE7MrpmjMVM_NYpxcgdWCQdsLYF), Jon Runyan (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/3666/;_ylt=AhEXT6ZDBuIMfXm14194jR8dsLYF)(notes) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/3666/news;_ylt=AvPTY4TK.02EyYbqp_QlngUdsLYF) announced he’ll retire at the end of the season and run for Congress in New Jersey.
The 35-year-old offensive lineman said in a statement late Tuesday that he told Republican officials in Burlington County of his plans to challenge Democratic Rep. John Adler in New Jersey’s 3rd District.
[/URL] FILE - This is a July 24, 2008…
AP - Nov 25, 10:08 am EST

[URL="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/gallery;_ylt=AhMD_ZrV8up3p_sFa0kWfUAdsLYF"]NFL Gallery (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/photo;_ylt=AgcoWg.ivEY4QlLMkRWa3TIdsLYF?slug=07b0b 07065e14737b21dc9ee02b722f7.congress_runyan_footba ll_ny150&prov=ap)

“I look forward to a successful end to my career on the field,” Runyan said, “and a spirited campaign against Congressman Adler in 2010.”
Runyan, who was signed as a free agent Tuesday, hasn’t played since the end of last season. He wasn’t re-signed by Philadelphia after having surgery on his right knee.
Runyan has not given interviews about his political ambitions or said much about his stance on issues. A previous statement mentioned the country was being taken in the wrong direction by career politicians “incapable of solving the problems we face.”
The seat was held for more than two decades by Republican Jim Saxton, who retired last year.
Adler, who replaced him, is seen as vulnerable. He was a popular state senator, but is a Democratic first-term representative in a district that traditionally supports Republicans.
Adler voted against a health care overhaul bill this month, rousing opposition from the left. Adler’s chief of staff, Jill Greco, said the Congressman is “not thinking about partisan politics or next year’s election.”
Runyan, who played 13 seasons in the NFL for Houston, Tennessee and Philadelphia, was one of the more popular Eagles. He never missed a game in nine years with the Eagles, starting 192 straight regular-season games.
Parts of three counties make up the 3rd District, which stretches from the Philadelphia suburbs to the shore. Runyan lives in Mount Laurel, N.J.

Kyle
12-25-2009, 09:45 PM
Chargers are arguably the top team in the NFL. Just throwing that out there. What an amazing looking team through this 10 game win streak(assuming they don't blow a 25 point lead with 15 left). Absolutely walking up and down the Titans.

two24four
12-25-2009, 09:54 PM
Rivers will also be 18-0 in the month of December after this game.

moans
12-26-2009, 12:34 AM
Chargers are arguably the top team in the NFL. Just throwing that out there. What an amazing looking team through this 10 game win streak(assuming they don't blow a 25 point lead with 15 left). Absolutely walking up and down the Titans.

They looked good, but the Titans secondary looked like the bunch from the Pats game. They were pretty terrible. Rivers made some damn nice throws though.

Doctego
12-26-2009, 06:30 AM

Seems like a lot of analysts have been throwing that out there. They have been on the Chargers' nuts for some time now. The Colts want no part of them.

Kyle
12-26-2009, 11:23 AM
Saints and Colts and Vikings have just hogged a lot of the Chargers spotlight I guess. I haven't heard nearly enough about a team so good.

But yeah, Chargers always seem to have the Colt's number. With as many close calls as the Colts have had this year, they can't be looking forward to playing them.

eff1ngham
12-26-2009, 12:46 PM
SD certainly looks really good, but they kind of do this every season. How many years now will this be for the Chargers going on a big winning streak at the end of the year going into the playoffs? And how many of those years have they made it to the super bowl? They may be playing the best out of any team in the league right now, but until they can prove that they can win in the playoffs I don't think I can consider them the best team in the league

Kyle
12-26-2009, 02:21 PM
Who wins in the playoffs changes every year. You can never know. As far as I'm concerned, "most likely to win the SB based on history" and "best team in the league" are two entirely different terms. Best team in the league means the current top performers of the current season.

And yes, Chargers have done nothing but win in December under Phil Rivers, but the exception this year is they've been playing like this for almost three months now durring this 10 game win streak. I agree they're no lock to win anything but I definitely think they are the top performenrs in the NFL right now.

Hockeyis#1
12-26-2009, 09:47 PM
Right now, the Bolts seem like the strongest team in the AFC to me, maybe that's homerism....maybe that's the facts, Jack. I really think the Chargers have the best chance to go to the Super Bowl. This time of year, I'm used to thinking 'Ok, Bolts look good, but the Pats/Colts/Steelers are better.' This year, I'm not worried about anyone else. I'm confident we'll beat the Colts convincingly. There 2ndary has looked poor in recent weeks, and I feel like Rivers could tear them up. I don't know about the Pats, but they don't seem like the team they usually are and so far I'd give the Bolts the advantage.

b_illin
01-12-2010, 11:27 AM
YouTube- LT Dance

Spartan
01-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Dear god, make it stop.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
01-13-2010, 05:56 PM
Dear god, make it stop.

your wish has been granted

Hockeyis#1
01-13-2010, 10:44 PM
your wish has been granted
I wish to be surrounded by naked cheerleaders :D

Zangetsu
02-22-2010, 06:05 PM
Not a huge surprise, but still it's pretty big news. LT has been released by the Chargers.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2010/02/ladainian-tomlinson-released-chargers-san-diego-salary-cap-move.html

He says he's not done. Where could he wind up?

Spartan
02-22-2010, 07:00 PM
Not a huge surprise, but still it's pretty big news. LT has been released by the Chargers.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2010/02/ladainian-tomlinson-released-chargers-san-diego-salary-cap-move.html

He says he's not done. Where could he wind up?Redskins, Houston, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Seattle.

Hockeyis#1
02-22-2010, 11:20 PM

He says he's not done. Where could he wind up?
Somehow trading him wasn't an option???

Zangetsu
02-22-2010, 11:28 PM
30+ year-old RB's don't fetch much in trade anyway, but I guess the move had to be made quickly, because LT was due a $2 million bonus soon. I'm just wondering if his days as a starting back are done. I wonder if he may just wind up as a third down specialist somewhere.

Kyle
02-23-2010, 12:13 AM
His days as a good starting back have been done. Rivers carried the offense and all LT had to do was pound in a bunch of easy 2-3 yard TDs this season. His actual production including yards and average per rush was terriblel, his 12 (Or 10? I forget) TDs were totally misleading.

Hes done. He doesn't have the burst, the top speed, the cuts, and hes not strong enough to still dominate. Hes not big or strong enough to compensate for lacking the footwork ability that defined his career. Hes not LT anymore and his career as a useful starting running back is absolutely over.

What LT can be good for, is a very solid back up who can bring fresh energy to red zone situations to give the starter a bit of rest. But when I say backup, I mean backup. Not sharing a starting roll like Bell/Thomas, he is only good for a pure backup roll.

King_Killah
02-23-2010, 02:19 PM
Redskins, Houston, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Seattle.

I actually just heard about 10 minutes ago that Green Bay and Minnesota were the front runners. A lot of questions on why Minny, and the answers that they were throwing out is almost what Kyle mentioned. Throw him behind Adrian Peterson. Chester Taylor is a FA. Tomlinson could be had cheaper because of his age. Tomlinson would give up some money to go to a contender, which Minnesota is and will be in 2010. Peterson/Tomlinson as a 1/2... Minnesota could be a monster.

Kyle
02-23-2010, 07:47 PM
That actually sounds amazing. Tomlinson's presence would be great for AP, it can only develop him faster (I think we've still yet to see AP's best).

It also adds a more reliable catching back than AP who has a hands issue he hasn't really improved since starting his career. I can see LT catching some short third down passes.

dw13
02-23-2010, 07:49 PM
If it means Chester Taylor is a FA for the rest of the league to snoop at, I hope LT goes to Minny. I want the Jets to take a serious look at dumping TJ infavor of Chester.

Kyle
02-23-2010, 07:53 PM
I don't know how wise of a decision that would be...

Why would you want to dump a back whos proven he can handle 320 carries consistently and only gets better ever year despite being 32, for a 31 year old who has only started one true season in his career and wasn't nearly as successful as Jones has been for the last few years? It couldn't help you.

dw13
02-23-2010, 07:57 PM
I don't know how wise of a decision that would be...

Why would you want to dump a back whos proven he can handle 320 carries consistently and only gets better ever year despite being 32, for a 31 year old who has only started one true season in his career and wasn't nearly as successful as Jones has been for the last few years? It couldn't help you.

Man, TJ's legs are so dead. He falls over after any contact whats so ever. I rather not bother paying him the big roster bonus and look elsewhere. I mean, I wouldn't be pissed if we kept him, but if theres another option out there I wouldn't mind taking a look.

Shonn Greene is going to be ready to handle the load, Leon will be coming back and Taylor could offer some depth and experience.

Kyle
02-23-2010, 08:00 PM
I see what you mean. I guess most RBs in the league behind the Jet's line with that many carries could put up his numbers.

dw13
02-23-2010, 08:01 PM
I see what you mean. I guess most RBs in the league behind the Jet's line with that many carries could put up his numbers.

Exactly. TJ is a solid, yet unspectacular back. I'd welcome him back just as quick as I'd show him the front door.

Kyle
02-23-2010, 08:04 PM
Honestly, if Greene can handle the workload, I'd love to see what he can do with 300+ carries.

dw13
02-23-2010, 08:23 PM
Honestly, if Greene can handle the workload, I'd love to see what he can do with 300+ carries.

Hopefully Leon comes back and is the Neon Leon of old, and he they will be a dynamite duo.

b_illin
02-24-2010, 11:44 AM

me too...I think he'll be a sick beast

Kyle
02-24-2010, 04:58 PM
Wrong thread.

Hockeyis#1
02-26-2010, 06:22 AM
So if Merriman and Cromartie leave SD....is their 'meh' D is going to become 'lol' D? Oh AJ Smith, wtf are you doing??? (Again....)

Kyle
02-26-2010, 10:08 PM
Yes...minus those two that defense is below average at best.

The more I think of it, they will probably have a bottom 5 pass defense in the league without them.

Hockeyis#1
02-27-2010, 06:31 AM
Darren Sproles allowed to "test free agency"

Goodbye AFC West title. It was nice while it lasted.

Kyle
02-27-2010, 10:46 AM
Eh, his few hundred yards and < 4 yards per attempt won't be missed in San Diego. Surely won't be the cause of losing the division title.

it can't possibly be that hard to find a back with decent hands to take over Sprole's role in the passing game. His running has been a zero impact non factor since he arrived, he was very replacable.

Hockeyis#1
02-28-2010, 04:55 AM
Eh, his few hundred yards and < 4 yards per attempt won't be missed in San Diego. Surely won't be the cause of losing the division title.

it can't possibly be that hard to find a back with decent hands to take over Sprole's role in the passing game. His running has been a zero impact non factor since he arrived, he was very replacable.No, he won't be the reason we don't make playoffs/win division next year, but lets review so far. San Diego so far this offseason has shipped off their best pass rusher, 2nd best DB, #1 and #2 RBs and they have nothing to show for them in return.

Keeping Sproles was important because instead of being able to maybe draft Spiller or Garhart, and having him and Sproles compliment each other (which I think would have turned out just fine), now we have nothing for RBs, and are probably going to have to lean heavily on whichever RB we hopefully draft in the 1st-2nd round, which sounds potentially bad to me.

Kyle
02-28-2010, 05:04 AM
Good point.

Also, maybe your best DB. I'm not sold on Jammer > Cromartie at all.

Hockeyis#1
02-28-2010, 11:10 AM
Good point.

Also, maybe your best DB. I'm not sold on Jammer > Cromartie at all.
In terms of covering a #1 WR, Jammer is better. He's smarter, more physical, and way better and jamming (lol) WRs at the LOS, whereas Cromartie isn't a good tackler, and isn't that good in coverage, but he's very athletic, has good timing and can take a bad throw to the house if given the oppurtunity. They almost complement each other, should they have a love child, he'd be a complete CB IMO......:lol:

Kyle
02-28-2010, 01:55 PM
That athleticism and timing can make up for so much flaws at the DB position. I think Cromartie overall is more valuable, he has a skillset that you can't teach, and he can be taught in the areas hes behind Jammer. Cromartie is one of the few potential double digit int DB's in this league today.

But I get what you mean on Jammer, he is a sick shutdown man.

Spartan
02-28-2010, 02:10 PM
Merriman is getting the highest tender. He is staying.

Hockeyis#1
02-28-2010, 04:47 PM
That athleticism and timing can make up for so much flaws at the DB position. I think Cromartie overall is more valuable, he has a skillset that you can't teach, and he can be taught in the areas hes behind Jammer. Cromartie is one of the few potential double digit int DB's in this league today.

But I get what you mean on Jammer, he is a sick shutdown man.
He's really not gotten that much better since his rookie season. So while yes, he can learn to be better in coverage, he hasn't been so far.

Merriman is getting the highest tender. He is staying.
I'd be surprised if he stayed. Nothing I've heard from several Charger blogs, Merriman's twitter, or the past history of AJ Smith has indicated that he's going to stay. Most seem to subtly suggest he's leaving.

dw13
02-28-2010, 05:12 PM
I'd be surprised if he stayed. Nothing I've heard from several Charger blogs, Merriman's twitter, or the past history of AJ Smith has indicated that he's going to stay. Most seem to subtly suggest he's leaving.

No one is going to give up a 1st and a 3rd if they've offered him the highest tender...

Hockeyis#1
02-28-2010, 06:04 PM
No one is going to give up a 1st and a 3rd if they've offered him the highest tender...
I'm aware of that, but I don't think that they will make that offer.

dw13
02-28-2010, 06:08 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/28/merriman-to-get-highest-tender-too/

Who knows what will happen though!

Spartan
02-28-2010, 09:39 PM
Rumor that a deal is in place between the Lions and Chargers for Cromartie. Could be as little as a 5th round pick.

Good move for the Lions, the Lions man coverages fit Cromartie pretty well and he is young. Like Kyle mentioned he has skill just needs some time to figure things out. He could be a decent corner and is probably better than the slugs Detroit rolled with last year.

That said if he turns out to be a turd and one year wonder, then Detroit would actually have a cowardly Lion.

Hockeyis#1
02-28-2010, 11:40 PM
Rumor that a deal is in place between the Lions and Chargers for Cromartie. Could be as little as a 5th round pick.
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg282/Nighthawk0581/facepalm.jpg

Kyle
03-01-2010, 12:30 AM
:lol::lol:

If thats true....wow

Spartan
03-01-2010, 09:57 AM
http://thebiglead.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/5kkln4.gif

Hockeyis#1
03-01-2010, 12:58 PM
YouTube- Antonio Cromartie One Handed Interception

Kyle
03-01-2010, 02:43 PM
YouTube- Antonio Cromartie One Handed Interception (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMVMFGNLjjY&feature=related)

Great rebuttal. Thats exactly my point. There aren't many WR in this league who can do that more than 1/10 tries.

Hockeyis#1
03-01-2010, 10:45 PM
Great rebuttal. Thats exactly my point. There aren't many CB in this league who can do that more than 1/10 tries.
fyp

Kyle
03-02-2010, 01:27 AM
The point was not even WR can make that catch consistently and they have better hands than DBs. There isn't 2-3 DBs in the league who can ever do that in their career, thats why I used WR to compare to make the point of how impressive of a catch that is.

King_Killah
04-22-2010, 07:50 PM
Ryan Mathews. Good pick. Is he a Tomlinson replacement? Time will tell.

Hockeyis#1
04-23-2010, 04:27 AM
Ryan Mathews. Good pick. Is he a Tomlinson replacement? Time will tell.AJ Smith really came through here. Basically freerolling his way to Ryan Matthews. I wanted either him or Spiller and am thrilled the Bolts got him. Him and Sproles are going to be exactly the backfield SD needs to balance the passing game.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
08-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Jackson in it for the long haul. Interesting interview with the disgruntled WR and his willingness to sit out 2010. Very clam and resolute demeanor with this guy. What a messy situation.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81a0fc4f/article/disgruntled-chargers-wr-jackson-prepared-to-sit-out-season?module=HP_headlines

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
09-04-2010, 03:02 PM
WR P. Crayton from Dallas to Chargers... I wonder if this precedes a V.Jackson trade? I hear Housh is being shopped around out of Seattle too...

dw13
09-04-2010, 03:16 PM
WR P. Crayton from Dallas to Chargers... I wonder if this precedes a V.Jackson trade? I hear Housh is being shopped around out of Seattle too...

Housh was released.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
09-04-2010, 03:24 PM
Housh was released.

oh snap. really ? Must have just happened today ? Last I knew they were open to releasing him if no trades materialized, but at 7/8 mil.....

I wonder who will go after him. The guy is talented and can help some team out. It wasn't his fault he had Matt Hasselback throwing the ball to him all season.

Minnesota should go after him.

two24four
10-13-2010, 11:54 AM
Adam Schefter twitter.

Distinction to be made here: Shawne Merriman can play again this season for another team. But he is finished in San Diego.

Once Merriman is healthy, which could be in a couple weeks, Chargers must release him and he is free to sign with another team this season.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
10-31-2010, 02:56 AM
Looks like V. Jackson finally signed his tender but is ineligible to play until week 12 ? I thought it was week 6 or 7 or something tops ? What rule/stipulation am I missing ?

Doctego
10-31-2010, 07:57 AM
Looks like V. Jackson finally signed his tender but is ineligible to play until week 12 ? I thought it was week 6 or 7 or something tops ? What rule/stipulation am I missing ?

Week 12 is right. You're not really missing much here. We are in week 8 right now, San Diego has a bye in week 10, and he has a 3 game personal conduct suspension from the league because of his 2nd DUI. To clarify, he's missing week 8 (suspension), week 9 (suspension), week 10 (bye), and week 11 (suspension). That makes him eligible in week 12.

Hockeyis#1
11-02-2010, 04:31 PM
The Chargers are hurting at WR, with Davis now on IR, Naanee, Floyd and Jackson still out, none of the Week 1 WRs are currently playing.

This all being said, does SD put in a bid for Randy Moss?

dw13
11-02-2010, 05:05 PM
The Chargers are hurting at WR, with Davis now on IR, Naanee, Floyd and Jackson still out, none of the Week 1 WRs are currently playing.

This all being said, does SD put in a bid for Randy Moss?

Rivers went for 300 yards.

No.

Kyle
11-02-2010, 05:11 PM
No chance

CayugaPosse
12-26-2010, 09:01 PM
Hard to tell how I'm supposed to feel today.

Should I be dissapointed that the Chargers will not be in the NFL playoffs this year?

Should I be angry that the team could lay such an egg against a team as bad as Cincy without both Owens and Ochocinco?

Should I be happy...that Norv Turner is finally going to be fired?

Hard to say, all I can say is, as a Chargers fan I don't remember a year that was more frustrating. If they suck, that's cool I'll deal. They're a great team, one of the top offenses and defenses in the league. They still found ways to lose, then choked against weak teams late.

From the unwillingness to pay Vincent Jackson who clearly deserved it, to the special teams fiascoes, to the injury problems, every aspect of this season was frustrating.

Good riddance.

Doctego
12-27-2010, 12:19 AM
Should I be happy...that Norv Turner is finally going to be fired?

Many of the so-called experts are saying that he won't be fired. I don't see how he makes it.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-27-2010, 03:06 AM
how long have there been conversations about Norv getting canned. Is it really his fault that his QB and team doesn't understand the value of playing football in November ? Maybe. Either way, fuck the Chargers. I have never had much reason to be down on them other than their poor work ethic early in the year. So that's what they fucking get.

CayugaPosse
12-27-2010, 03:25 AM
how long have there been conversations about Norv getting canned. Is it really his fault that his QB and team doesn't understand the value of playing football in November ? Maybe. Either way, fuck the Chargers. I have never had much reason to be down on them other than their poor work ethic early in the year. So that's what they fucking get.

The Chargers were 3-0 in November and Philip Rivers had a QB rating of 131.4 in November. Not sure why you specified November.

Any blame to the QB here is absurd, Rivers is the only reason this team EVER had a chance at the playoffs, he had a great year this year, and was absolutely outstanding even when the team was inventing new ways to lose games around him. Keep in mind until a few weeks ago he was on pace to obliterate the single season passing record. Were it not for him this thing could have gotten really ugly.

Also, sorry to pick on you Sponge, you're just the one who responded with things that the idiotic football media have gone on about ad nauseam about this team this year. "Lazy until December blah blah".

Fuck that, this team was anything but. The offense worked it's ass off, the defense was ranked 1st for alot, and top 5 for the entire year. These guys were putting out every effort they had. There really wasn't a game where I was feeling like they were just coasting and waiting. The truth is, the team pissed away a bunch of games with moronic penalties and some of the most horrific special teams play you'll ever see in your life. That's not because they weren't trying. That's because they sucked.

Their coaching was a nightmare, the special teams are abysmal, Rivers had nothing to work with all year(Gates injured, Matthews injured and ineffective, Jackson sitting) and still made the offense run, the defense was mostly outstanding. It's a frustrating year, but this isn't a "they waited to get going".

I mean look how the season started :

Week 1 : Surprising(at the time) loss 21-14 to Kansas City. Turning point is a 94 yard Dexter McCluster punt return TD to make it 21-7 right before half-time.
Week 2 : They demolish the Jaguars
Week 3 : Philip Rivers sets a franchise record with 455 yards passing, the defense holds Seattle to 26 yards of total offense in the 2nd half, and yet they lose 27-20 thanks to Leon Washington returning 2 kickoffs for TD's(101 and 99 yards).
Week 4 : They demolish Arizona
Week 5 : 35-27 loss to Oakland, 3 fumbles lost which is certainly not good, but 2 punts blocked(one for a TD) sure didn't help anything either.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-27-2010, 03:23 PM
The Chargers were 3-0 in November and Philip Rivers had a QB rating of 131.4 in November. Not sure why you specified November.

Any blame to the QB here is absurd, Rivers is the only reason this team EVER had a chance at the playoffs, he had a great year this year, and was absolutely outstanding even when the team was inventing new ways to lose games around him. Keep in mind until a few weeks ago he was on pace to obliterate the single season passing record. Were it not for him this thing could have gotten really ugly.

Also, sorry to pick on you Sponge, you're just the one who responded with things that the idiotic football media have gone on about ad nauseam about this team this year. "Lazy until December blah blah".

Fuck that, this team was anything but. The offense worked it's ass off, the defense was ranked 1st for alot, and top 5 for the entire year. These guys were putting out every effort they had. There really wasn't a game where I was feeling like they were just coasting and waiting. The truth is, the team pissed away a bunch of games with moronic penalties and some of the most horrific special teams play you'll ever see in your life. That's not because they weren't trying. That's because they sucked.

Their coaching was a nightmare, the special teams are abysmal, Rivers had nothing to work with all year(Gates injured, Matthews injured and ineffective, Jackson sitting) and still made the offense run, the defense was mostly outstanding. It's a frustrating year, but this isn't a "they waited to get going".

I mean look how the season started :

Week 1 : Surprising(at the time) loss 21-14 to Kansas City. Turning point is a 94 yard Dexter McCluster punt return TD to make it 21-7 right before half-time.
Week 2 : They demolish the Jaguars
Week 3 : Philip Rivers sets a franchise record with 455 yards passing, the defense holds Seattle to 26 yards of total offense in the 2nd half, and yet they lose 27-20 thanks to Leon Washington returning 2 kickoffs for TD's(101 and 99 yards).
Week 4 : They demolish Arizona
Week 5 : 35-27 loss to Oakland, 3 fumbles lost which is certainly not good, but 2 punts blocked(one for a TD) sure didn't help anything either.

Don't apologize. Call me out when justified. Isn't this team notorious for leaving their best football in the bag and not showing up week in and week out and even playing down to lesser opponents? Maybe I haven't followed along well enough over the years and am guilty of going off of media and forum/blog based discussion but it seems like their work ethic is often called into question and year after year they put themselves in a hole and have to somehow hope to squeak by into the playoffs at 8-8. Injuries I will give you but it seems like they could have and were capable of working through them. Good teams usually do.

I guess what I meant here is that if I was a Chargers fan I'd be kind of disgusted and pretty pissed. Obviously I don't watch many Chargers games all the way through so I can't speak for the impact of injuries and stupid penalties etc costing them games but as an outsider looking in, I think that over the last few years this team has had the talent and ability to be one of the top teams in the AFC. . . yet they never seem to reach their potential and seem nothing short of being wildly inconsistent. But again that's just an outside opinion.

Rivers is a great QB when he is on top of his game. I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

dw13
12-27-2010, 03:25 PM
One of the softest teams in the NFL. Their play directly correlates with their Head Coach. Norv is horrible, soft and in over his head. How they replaced someone like Marty with Norv is beyond me. Time to completely turn the page on the Turner regime though. I thought I'd wake up to Turner being fired just like Singletary.

Hockeyis#1
12-29-2010, 12:20 AM
I'm thinking Norv should go here, despite my support throughout the seasons past. The team really just looks underprepared in several weeks this season and despite superior talent, we get out coached.

I agree somewhat with what dw and Bonger said and work ethic of the team. I'd like a disciplinarian style coach for out next HC and see how that plays out.

Doctego
12-29-2010, 08:32 AM
Take it FWIW but the reports here are that AJ and Norv will be back next season.

CayugaPosse
01-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Don't apologize. Call me out when justified. Isn't this team notorious for leaving their best football in the bag and not showing up week in and week out and even playing down to lesser opponents? Maybe I haven't followed along well enough over the years and am guilty of going off of media and forum/blog based discussion but it seems like their work ethic is often called into question and year after year they put themselves in a hole and have to somehow hope to squeak by into the playoffs at 8-8. Injuries I will give you but it seems like they could have and were capable of working through them. Good teams usually do.

I guess what I meant here is that if I was a Chargers fan I'd be kind of disgusted and pretty pissed. Obviously I don't watch many Chargers games all the way through so I can't speak for the impact of injuries and stupid penalties etc costing them games but as an outsider looking in, I think that over the last few years this team has had the talent and ability to be one of the top teams in the AFC. . . yet they never seem to reach their potential and seem nothing short of being wildly inconsistent. But again that's just an outside opinion.

Rivers is a great QB when he is on top of his game. I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

It is but that was more when LT was around. When LT was around, and being LT, the Chargers would never play him during pre-season, he would never get a single rep(team was too terrified he'd get injured during pre-season action). In doing that, it took the offense, which was essentially centered entirely around LT, a few weeks to get going at a high level.

That's I think what led to the reputation as a team that coasted out of the gates. Couple that with Philip Rivers wizardry in December(his numbers are absurd) and they earned the reputation as a team that coasted out of the gates and didn't care early, because suddenly LT would get into the flow of things, Rivers would heat up, and they'd look like a drastically different team than they were early.

This year however, the coasting out of the gates wasn't the story. It was absolutely horrifying special teams play, AJ Smith locking out the 2nd best player on the offense for basically the entire year even with injuries mounting to all the other WR's they thought would step up in his absence, Norv Turner's playing calling not letting Matthews have a chance to shine in any way and giving Mike Tolbert the ball in his place(check Matthews' results today, first time he's had over 20 carries in a game and he goes off for 130 yards and 3 TD's), and in general Norv Turner being terrible.

If Norv is truly still not gone, then I don't even know what to do at that point. He's terrible, I don't understand, at all, how it's even humanly possible that a team can be the #1 offense, #2 defense in the NFL, MISS THE PLAYOFFS, and keep their coach.

King_Killah
04-28-2011, 08:56 PM
Bolts go - Corey Liuget. I guess it helps a need. This pick doesn't do anything for me. Not bad though.

Hockeyis#1
05-05-2011, 11:48 PM
I was happy with the pick. I felt like we got a bunch of good contributors and future, if not 1st year, starters in this draft

Kyle
10-24-2011, 08:09 PM
Am I the only one who had literally zero clue in the world that Phillip Rivers was such an outstanding individual?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=ixzYGGU5AoY=featured

Its hilarious he got traded for Drew Brees because hes the only other person in the league I'd compare Rivers too (Now that Warners gone, at least). Difference being I think Rivers comes off as much more genuine, far too often I find myself wanting to punch Drew Brees at the peaks of his class act performances. Rivers gives off a legit, sincere vibe.

I honestly assumed he was an ass based on what little I knew.

Doctego
10-24-2011, 08:51 PM
Huh? I don't know Rivers well but the few times that I have seen him in the spotlight, he has come off as a douche. Brees has been the complete opposite. I have never seen him do anything negative. I also doubt that Brees would pout on the field like Rivers did yesterday when 1 of his WR dropped a ball.

Kyle
10-25-2011, 03:35 AM
Thats honestly exactly it, Doc. Maybe Drew Brees is the perfect human being and simply reflecting my own flaws back at me so glaringly but I simply don't believe he is quite the individual he acts like on TV and in interviews. I believe hes a good person with class but I don't truly feel like we ever get his natural personality. Rivers might not be the coolest, most likable guy, but hes a hell of an individual regardless and I at least feel like we get his real deal.

They're both obviously some decent guys but its no secret by now that Drew Brees has always projected a vibe that drives me insane!

Spartan
10-25-2011, 08:47 AM
I think the media kind of projects that image to Rivers because he is one of the most candid players interviewed. That has not changed since college. Funny because reporters always complain that athletes never say anything worth printing; when they eventually say something of content they get roasted for it.

Doctego
01-03-2012, 03:06 PM
Norv and AJ are coming back!!:lol:

b_illin
01-03-2012, 03:41 PM
No way....hahahahaha

Spartan
01-03-2012, 04:24 PM
You don't get to move to LA by winning games and getting in the playoffs.

FlyGuy78
01-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Norv and AJ are coming back!!:lol:

There goes NYJ new OC! lol

FlyGuy78
01-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Word on the radio is that SD kept Norv since the Eagles kept Reid. Sounds as if SD was gunning for Reid if he got let go.

Spartan
05-02-2012, 02:09 PM
RIP Junior Seau. Had a rough go of it after his career ended.

ih8music
05-02-2012, 04:22 PM
Suicide, too. Very sad.

Can't help but wonder if all the erratic behavior these past few years and leading up to the suicide were caused by past brain injuries.

Kyle
05-04-2012, 05:45 AM
Wouldn't be a stretch at all...recurring concussions causing depression later in life is quite common with football bruisers. RIP

King_Killah
04-28-2013, 10:17 AM
The San Diego Super Chargers........ Finally breathing a breath of fresh air. Norv's gone!

Let's take a peek at the what this team looks like. Will they regain the AFC West or do they let Denver run with it?

This is the last change I am giving Philip. I have him and Romo in the same boat. They are either loved or ripped. Now that Turner is gone, I believe that Rivers will thrive. He has a running game that he is going to have to protect. Yes, Ryan Mathews leads the pack, but as you know, I was never high on Mathews. If he can stay healthy, they'll be OK. Love that they brought in Woodhead. Not sure if they can use him like the Patriots did though. Ronnie Brown...ugh! Catching passes from Rivers we have Malcolm Floyd, Robert Meachem, Denario Alexander. The Chargers drafted a WR whom, I believe will have an impact from day one. Keenan Allen. His draft value dropped because of off field issues, but he is a stud of a receiver, big boy who can make big plays. Rivers is going to have a new favorite target. Let's not forget Antonio Gates. The TE spot may hurt if Gates doesn't stay healthy. Overall, I like this offense. I think they can be explosive.

For me, they are the AFC version of the Saints. Potentially strong, explosive offense what needs to carry the team to protect the defense. However, I am curious to see how Manti T'eo and his imaginary girlfriend will do in San Diego. Solid lineback, who got exposed in the championship game. Was he distracted with all the off-field drama or is that the real T'eo. We shall soon see.

Kyle
09-10-2013, 11:56 AM
A breath of fresh air but the same exact fucking results 10000000%. Obviously wasn't Norv's fault. I don't blame Rivers. Horrible receivers and horrible O-line play and a useless run game crippled him in the second half, he had nothing to do and the pick 6 was his only real mistake. And that was just an amazing play by the Texans. The O-line for the Chargers collapsed vs the Houston SWAT halfway through the game, Rivers had no chance