PDA

View Full Version : Deadliest Catch - Discovery Channel

Spartan
04-16-2008, 07:15 AM
I'm not sure why but I find this show addicting, I watch every one. I am disappointed about the lack of boats this season. In the first few seasons they followed 3 or 4 more boats than this year. The new episodes overall were pretty good though, the truck prank was funny.

nyrblue2
04-16-2008, 07:44 AM
Fellow addict here. I missed out on the premiere last night, though. There were 2 new episodes right? I'll be downloading them today...

I would assume they've stuck with the same major boats, though? Northwestern, Cornelia Marie, Maverick and Time Bandit? Most of the others were fairly forgettable in my mind. Although I really did like the guys on the Rollo in season 2.

heliosj
04-16-2008, 07:51 AM
I wondered which 2 people watched this show....

Now I know. :)

It's good, eh? Maybe I'll have to DVR it...

Spartan
04-16-2008, 08:46 AM
Fellow addict here. I missed out on the premiere last night, though. There were 2 new episodes right? I'll be downloading them today...

I would assume they've stuck with the same major boats, though? Northwestern, Cornelia Marie, Maverick and Time Bandit? Most of the others were fairly forgettable in my mind. Although I really did like the guys on the Rollo in season 2.

No Maverick this season, which kind of bums me out because even though Blake was a punk, it was a fun story line to watch him as a new captain. There is a new boat the Early Dawn and they were catching Black Crab using a different technique which was interesting. I do miss the Rollo those guys had a lot of fun. But yes the Cornelia Marie, Northwestern, Time Bandit and Wizard are all back.

ih8music
04-16-2008, 11:42 AM
Another addict here. I was also strangely disappointed to see that the Maverick w/ Blake at the helm for his sophmore season was not going to be featured. But knowing him, he probably tried to hold out for more money from the producers than the other captains.

Not sure if I understand the logic behind reducing the # of ships... if anything, they should add (or maybe rotate) 2-3 new ships each season, since the basic storyline isn't going to change much, so it's all about the personalities on board.

Edit: turns out I'm wrong. they apparently added 2 ships for the season: the North American and the Early Dawn. i guess i'm satisfied.

nyrblue2
07-13-2008, 02:25 PM
Just watched last week's episode on DVR. Thought it was cool that the Cornelia Marie's new greenhorn was wearing a Detroit Red Wings hat for most of the show.

eykwingnut
07-13-2008, 04:59 PM
i LOVE this show, i have the first 3 seasons on DVD. i saw the greenhorn wearing that hat as well. good stuff.

thelaughingtree
07-13-2008, 05:37 PM
I don't watch a whole lot, but occasionally tune in... Question: I saw part of an episode the other day in which one of the guys - the smoker had to go to the hospital because he was spitting up blood... What happened to him? What did the doctor say? Just curious.

looch17
07-13-2008, 07:01 PM
I don't watch a whole lot, but occasionally tune in... Question: I saw part of an episode the other day in which one of the guys - the smoker had to go to the hospital because he was spitting up blood... What happened to him? What did the doctor say? Just curious.They said it was a blood clot. Not sure where and all that, just know it was a blood clot.

nyrblue2
07-13-2008, 08:29 PM
I don't watch a whole lot, but occasionally tune in... Question: I saw part of an episode the other day in which one of the guys - the smoker had to go to the hospital because he was spitting up blood... What happened to him? What did the doctor say? Just curious.
The determined that there was a blood clot that originated in his leg, passed up his bloodstream, through his heart and to his lungs, which was causing the blood when he coughed. He was very lucky to not have died when the clot reached his heart, as it is very uncommon to have it pass through. It sounds like they put him on blood thinners (because he said if he as much as stubs his toe he could bleed to death), so he doesn't think he'll make it back out to sea this season, or maybe ever again.

Spartan
07-13-2008, 10:42 PM
Pulmonary embolism is a big problem for those boat captains. They had a follow up piece on the website and said there have been several suspected cases in the past few years including another captain that died from it this season. Phil stated that he has spent up to six straight days in the chair...can't be good, worse considering he smokes like a chimney. I always disliked his kids until this season, they really seemed to step it up and take care of business when their dad went down.

thelaughingtree
07-13-2008, 11:30 PM
Jeez, yeah he was friggin lucky.

eykwingnut
08-18-2008, 10:19 PM
when is season 4 coming out on dvd? october sometime?

Spartan
08-18-2008, 10:29 PM
when is season 4 coming out on dvd? october sometime?
Estimated ship date November 12th.

Jake
08-18-2008, 10:41 PM
Estimated ship date November 12th.
no pun intended? This show is great, I cant stop watching it yet I question myself as to why. I know it is going to be the same thing over and over, yet I cant get enough of it.

Spartan
06-10-2009, 07:07 PM
What happened last night? It was on during the game and I forgot to DVR it. The week before ended when that huge wave hit the Wizard and it looked like guys ended up in the hospital.

ih8music
06-11-2009, 10:49 AM
Yeah, 3 of the Wizard guys got beat up pretty bad. One guy (Monty, the captain's brother) had 3 or 4 cracked ribs and the other two had head/eye injuries. I thought for sure one of the guys was tossed overboard when the wave hit - it was huge and he took a direct hit from the top of the stack. (I think that was Monty)

They had to run into port to get to the clinic & their season looks questionable now (although previews for next week show them back out on the grounds). But the captain was pretty shaken up by it... brought to tears when he was discussing it with the film crew.

ih8music
06-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Also - they introduced a new boat last episode. I think it's called "The Incentive" or something like that. Looks like they might stick around - nice boat w/ modern equipment, captain was pretty entertaining, and they were catching a ton of crab.

Spartan
06-11-2009, 11:16 AM
Thanks man, I did end up catching it last night on the internet.
Yeah, 3 of the Wizard guys got beat up pretty bad. One guy (Monty, the captain's brother) had 3 or 4 cracked ribs and the other two had head/eye injuries. I thought for sure one of the guys was tossed overboard when the wave hit - it was huge and he took a direct hit from the top of the stack. (I think that was Monty)

They had to run into port to get to the clinic & their season looks questionable now (although previews for next week show them back out on the grounds). But the captain was pretty shaken up by it... brought to tears when he was discussing it with the film crew.That boat never fails to amaze me with their stupidity. Did you notice that they caught the most King Crab but their deck hands got paid nearly half of what the rest of the fleet earned.:eek: Fuck that, especially when you consider the only piece of somewhat modern equipment they have is a sorting table. They end up working twice as hard for half the pay and more time at sea.

Yeah captain Keith was crying like Glen Beck, a little uncomfortable. Both Captains Phil and Andy thought he was nuts to go out to sea overloaded like that. I bet he has to convince Lenny to come back.

Also - they introduced a new boat last episode. I think it's called "The Incentive" or something like that. Looks like they might stick around - nice boat w/ modern equipment, captain was pretty entertaining, and they were catching a ton of crab.That boat looked sweet, real professionals like the Northwestern. I just hope they stick with them. What ever happens to the new boats? The Early Dawn had a great story line last year and they just left it alone. Same with the smallest boat in the fleet this year, what ever happened there?

Spartan
01-30-2010, 05:16 PM
Best wishes for Captain Phil, suffered a stroke. Can't say you did not see more health problems coming though.
http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/deadliestcatch/phil-harris/

ih8music
01-31-2010, 12:21 AM
That's a shame. At least it happened while they were in port, so he was able to get quick medical attention. But even if it was a mild stroke and he's able to recover well, I doubt they'll want him running a boat out on open seas again.

Spartan
01-31-2010, 08:29 PM
That's a shame. At least it happened while they were in port, so he was able to get quick medical attention. But even if it was a mild stroke and he's able to recover well, I doubt they'll want him running a boat out on open seas again.This season is gonna be full of drama. Jake Anderson, from the Northwestern, his father has been missing for nearly a month. They found his truck abandoned along a logging road, no sign of him. http://www.nwcn.com/home/Report-Missing-Anacortes-mans-truck-found--82521452.html

Spartan
02-10-2010, 12:53 AM
Capt. Phil passed away. RIP
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/09/phil-on-deadliest-catch-d_n_456177.html

ih8music
02-10-2010, 12:56 AM
Now that's a "celebrity's" death that actually makes me sad. RIP.

Snipes16
02-10-2010, 01:00 AM
Wow thats sucks because like the article said, I heard he was improving as well.

nyrblue2
02-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Now that's a "celebrity's" death that actually makes me sad. RIP.
Same here. That show made you connect with the people moreso than most TV shows.

ih8music
04-14-2010, 11:09 AM
Quite a firey season opener last night. Was Keith was really trying to poach the dude from the Time Bandit, or just offering him career advice like he claims? Either way, Keith is an arrogant asshole and it was nice to see Jonathan call him out on it.

And Phil sending Jake off to the Northwestern was especially poignant, given that we know this is going to be his last trip.

Should be a very interesting season.

moans
04-14-2010, 11:16 AM
I find one of the captains looks like he could be Phil Kessel's dad.

eykwingnut
04-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Holy crap I loved Johnathan knocking that rolly-polly Keith on his ass! Keith's an ass-hole. Can't wait for the rest of the season! Wish it was during the summer though, instead of during NHL playoffs...

two24four
04-14-2010, 04:48 PM
Holy crap I loved Johnathan knocking that rolly-polly Keith on his ass! Keith's an ass-hole. Can't wait for the rest of the season! Wish it was during the summer though, instead of during NHL playoffs...

Yeah pretty much for the next two months reg TV takes a back seat while the hockey playoffs are on, that and the MLB.

eykwingnut
06-16-2010, 06:59 PM
Holy sh*t! Did anyone see the episode last night? Crazy ass ending!

ih8music
06-17-2010, 12:08 AM
Holy sh*t! Did anyone see the episode last night? Crazy ass ending!
Yeah, that was surprising but yet not really... surprising he pulled that crap on the boat (against his captain/father no less!), but not surprising he has drug problems.

I'm not enjoying this season as much because everything is tinged for me knowing that Phil is about to pass away. That makes this incident doubly disappointing.

eykwingnut
06-17-2010, 09:00 AM
Yeah, that was surprising but yet not really... surprising he pulled that crap on the boat (against his captain/father no less!), but not surprising he has drug problems.

I'm not enjoying this season as much because everything is tinged for me knowing that Phil is about to pass away. That makes this incident doubly disappointing.
Yeah, the second Phil asked why he had his meds I knew what was up. It was obvious the way he was acting. I heard he passes on the next episode too.

Then there's Jake Anderson. Seems like he has family issue after family issue. I had to chuckle though when his mom called and asked Sig to keep him busy.

ih8music
07-21-2010, 03:03 AM
Ok, so I pretty much bawled most of the show tonight.

Spartan
09-28-2010, 10:07 PM
It's over.

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b202929_deadliest_catch_captains_including_sig.htm l?sid=rss_msn_news&utm_source=eonline&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=rss_msn_news

Deadliest Catch Captains, Including Sig, Quit the Show Over Lawsuit

Today 5:30 PM PDT by Natalie Finn (http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/index.jsp?author=natalie+finn)
http://images.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/2010822//300.Johnathan.AndyHillstrand.tg.092210.jpg Cameron Glendenning /Discovery Channel
Jonathan and Andy Hillstrand have bigger fish to fry now.
The Deadliest Catch stars and captains of the deep-sea power scow Time Bandit (http://www.timebandit.tv/time-bandit-facts-trivia-faqs.html), announced Tuesday that they're leaving the hit series after being sued for breach-of-contract (http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b201697__i_Deadliest_Catch__i__Captains_Caught_in_ _3_Million_Catfight.html) by the Discovery Channel.
And they're taking fan favorite Sig Hansen, captain of the Northwestern, along with them.
"We have been through a lot over the past year and unfortunately given the current situation with Discovery we are unable to continue participating in Deadliest Catch," the three crab fishermen said in a joint written statement, first obtained by the Hollywood Reporter (http://thresq.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/09/deadliest-catch-stars-kicked-off-show.html).
"It has been a fantastic ride, and we wish the best to all of the amazing and supportive Catch fans we have met over the years."
In response to the lawsuit, Hansen said, "I want people to know the captains stand together, and me and my brothers support them 100 percent."
Discovery says, meanwhile, that its announcement on the status of all three captains is forthcoming.
The network sued the Hillstrand brothers for $3 million, claiming they failed to come through on their promise to shoot a spin-off special, Hillstranded. Cameras rolled during business hours, but Discovery says the crab catchers didn't make time to record voiceovers and otherwise take part in what was needed to round out the production.
Production on season seven of Deadliest Catch is scheduled to start early next month, the beginning of crab season.
While there was obviously a red sky at morning situation as far as the Hillstrands were concerned, Hansen's departure is more of a surprise, despite his statement of solidarity.
The show's sixth season was memorably rocked by the death (http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b166504_deadliest_catch_captain_phil_harris_dies.h tml) of Cornelia Marie Capt. Phil Harris.

ih8music
09-28-2010, 10:27 PM
It's over.

No Time Bandit, Northwestern or Cornelia Marie... yeah, I'd have a hard time watching the show even if they tried to continue on.

Something else must be going on here... if I'm reading that correctly, they cooperated with all of the shooting for the new series, but they didn't show up for the voice-overs? Seems like a relatively petty thing to destroy two series over -- Discovery had to know they'd quit Deadliest Catch after getting sued for $3 million.

Maybe the Hillstrands were just trying to get Mike Rowe another job? ;)

pjm
09-29-2010, 12:26 AM
I guess they were too busy catching crab?

Without the Hillstrands and Sig... and Phil... not much left.

ih8music
04-16-2011, 07:47 AM
Anyone catch the season premiere of this last week? I finally caught up on it off the dvr last night.

I lost track of all the back-story drama from the past year, but I guess everything got worked out -- all of the major ships/captains have returned. Cornelia Marie is back, too, with a new skipper (and both of the Harris boys). 2 new boats, both with young captains (28 & 36).

I think my interest in this show might finally be waning. The show was fine, but it seems like the same old storylines are getting rehashed yet again. anyone else feel like that?