PDA

View Full Version : TSN or Sportsnet

Pages : [1] 2

moans
04-10-2008, 02:12 AM
Simple question for us Canadians. Which channel do you prefer?

gagne21
04-10-2008, 09:18 AM
TSN by a mile.

two24four
04-10-2008, 11:23 AM
TSN for me as well, the only time I watch Sportsnet is for Leafs games, Jays games and the odd time to watch some of there hockey stuff, and Martine Gaillard :D but TSN is waaaaay better IMO all around, much better for hockey.

You should have added The Score as well, as I find myself watching it more then Sportsnet now, they can be pretty funny as well, the Score tonight and the Spin are good shows.

TSN is by far the best though.

WIS
04-10-2008, 01:51 PM
Good poll. I hate Sportsnet. I always thought TSN had the big edge.

Hobbes
04-10-2008, 02:51 PM
TSN by a lot. I'd also put The Score before Sportsnet, but I pretty much only watch TSN.

I can't stand most of the people on Sportsnet...in fact, off the top of my head I can't really think of anyone they have that isn't annoying haha. I rarely watch, unless it's for a baseball or hockey game.

I know he's loved by so many people here in Vancouver, but I absolutely hate Don Taylor who does the highlights at night for Sportsnet Pacific.

two24four
04-10-2008, 02:57 PM
TSN by a lot. I'd also put The Score before Sportsnet, but I pretty much only watch TSN.

I can't stand most of the people on Sportsnet...in fact, off the top of my head I can't really think of anyone they have that isn't annoying haha. I rarely watch, unless it's for a baseball or hockey game.

I know he's loved by so many people here in Vancouver, but I absolutely hate Don Taylor who does the highlights at night for Sportsnet Pacific.

Same here.

secol
04-10-2008, 04:22 PM
The Score (mainly due to constant ticker)
TSN
Sportsnet (I notice they have gone for male hormones to power their show a bit more)

smitty42
04-10-2008, 04:50 PM
TSN, The Score, Sportsnet

Love:
Cabbie on the Street, Score Tonight, Sportscentre, Hockey Central, The Spin, Drive This, Game On.

Favourite anouncers: Tim Mcallef, Steve Koulias, Cam Stewart, Gabe Morency, Mike Toth, Martine Gaillard, Greg Sansone, Nick Kiprios, Darren Dreger, Sean Mccormik, Jamie Campbell, Darren Dutchyshen
Favourite but now in Boston: Hazel May

Do not like: Jay Onrait, Brad Fay, Jennifer Hedger

"Right in the Tony Ambrogios!"

Hawkeye
04-10-2008, 05:01 PM

Love:
Cabbie on the Street, Score Tonight, Sportscentre, Hockey Central, The Spin, Drive This, Game On.

Favourite anouncers: Tim Mcallef, Steve Koulias, Cam Stewart, Gabe Morency, Mike Toth, Martine Gaillard, Greg Sansone, Nick Kiprios, Darren Dreger, Sean Mccormik, Jamie Campbell, Darren Dutchyshen

You rank Sportsnet last and yet most of you're favorite announcers are from Sportsnet... thats odd.

gagne21
04-10-2008, 05:05 PM

Love:

Onrait is the man! Him and O'Toole are dynamite.

smitty42
04-10-2008, 05:24 PM
I just can't get around his sense of humor, there is more to these channels then just sports centres, I really like the programming that tsn has covering several hockey games, football etc, OTR, etc. The score always has up to the minute results/talk and there shows are entertaining.

Although I like many of sportsnet's broadcasters, their overall channel could use some work regarding games. Not a big fan of motorcross or poker on television, or some of the other shows they put together. To me there is more to offer on the other channels, they even got rid of March Madness this year I believe, and Bob Mcowan is a radio personality just dont like him on a network. The drive this guys are funny and I can always get a chuckle.

Hobbes
04-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Onrait is the man! Him and O'Toole are dynamite.

Haha, agreed. Onrait is by far my favorite.

two24four
04-10-2008, 06:00 PM

For real? you really like Campbell, I cant stand him doing Jays games..... one of my favs from Sportsnet (one of the few) is Mike Toth, he's funny as hell, his April fool's joke on the Fan 590 was great......... that Sean McCormick guy is a tool IMO, the guy they call "The Big Dude".

Looks like most people rank TSN 1st and The Score 2nd, that's great, I really think over the last year that The Score has got 100% better with all there new shows they have, Drive this is a great show, as is Hardcore hockey talk the Score tonight and the Spin, all great shows.

keyboard
04-10-2008, 06:04 PM
Steve Koulias is the worst thing I've ever heard on TheScore. Anyone on his show is annoying and he's like a typical Maple Leaf fan on ADD; doesn't know anything about the game but just says loud, obnoxious things.

two24four
04-10-2008, 06:10 PM
No way, Koulias know's his hockey, everything about it, from the players to rules, to the refs, stats etc....everything, I have heard some people say he should take over for MacLean on CBC once he's done.

Hobbes
04-10-2008, 06:10 PM
Who is the guy with the shaved head on The Score? He does like Canadian university football play by play and does a lot of the basketball segments. He's the only one on there that I can't stand really.

I tried watching the Sportsnet playoff preview earlier in the week but there hockey panel is so obnoxious I had to turn it off haha.

keyboard
04-11-2008, 12:25 PM
No way, Koulias know's his hockey, everything about it, from the players to rules, to the refs, stats etc....everything, I have heard some people say he should take over for MacLean on CBC once he's done.All he does is yell at the television. He sounds insane. "But they HAVE to make the changes!!!" Fucking relax. I don't think I should ever have to turn my volume down to hear a professional newsperson speak.

Hawkeye
04-11-2008, 01:24 PM
I have heard some people say he should take over for MacLean on CBC once he's done.

That would be awful... I don't like him at all either. Just can't imagine what Coach's corner would be like... both him and Cherry yelling at each other as if both had hearing aids.

WinnipegWingnut
04-11-2008, 03:20 PM
I voted Sportsnet simply because the content doesn't focus on Toronto, and that they have regional channels so in the West we see the Western teams first and of course CFL stories!

TSN has the better anchors though, although Martine kicks all the female TSN anchors asses! If it wasn't for Don Taylor, Sportsnet would be my definite #1. I can't stand that guy with his nee-hi-nee's.

WIS
04-11-2008, 05:38 PM
All he does is yell at the television. He sounds insane. "But they HAVE to make the changes!!!" Fucking relax. I don't think I should ever have to turn my volume down to hear a professional newsperson speak.
Totally agree. I cannot stand the guy. Shu the fu#k up already.

That would be awful... I don't like him at all either. Just can't imagine what Coach's corner would be like... both him and Cherry yelling at each other as if both had hearing aids.
:lol:

phaneuf6
04-11-2008, 05:56 PM
TSN by a country mile. I can't stand The Score so Sportsnet is my second.

I only watch Sportsnet for the Leafs/Jays. Even the Leaf games I have to switch off in between periods because their panel is a bunch of has beens pretending they know everything about hockey.

And I can't stand Mike Toth. He's not even funny, just stupid. I find he's a little better when he fills in for the Bobcat on The FAN but on TV he's a fucking retard. All of them are, I find Sportsnet to be tacky in some ways even compared to the slick professional TSN.

boredguy
04-11-2008, 07:06 PM
Real question, who should be fired first, Glen Healey or Nick Kypryos? Why either one is employed is beyond me.

keyboard
04-11-2008, 07:08 PM
That would be awful... I don't like him at all either. Just can't imagine what Coach's corner would be like... both him and Cherry yelling at each other as if both had hearing aids.:lol:

phaneuf6
04-11-2008, 08:51 PM
Real question, who should be fired first, Glen Healey or Nick Kypryos? Why either one is employed is beyond me.
Yeah I know. Healey thinks he's the best thing that ever happened to color commentary. Such a cocky fucker. As my dad put it, how the fuck can he criticize when all he did was sit his ass on the fucking bench his whole career?

two24four
04-11-2008, 08:55 PM
Healy by far IMO, I cant stand him, at least Kypryos knows people to get some good info from, I cant stand when Healy is on.

Edit: I also cant stand Bill Watters on Sportsnet, he's just a grumpy old guy, he never seems happy.

eykwingnut
04-11-2008, 10:05 PM
Yeah I know. Healey thinks he's the best thing that ever happened to color commentary. Such a cocky fucker. As my dad put it, how the fuck can he criticize when all he did was sit his ass on the fucking bench his whole career?
hahaha, he went to the same university as me. whenever i went to hockey games i looked up at his banner and just shook my head.

Andrew1125
04-12-2008, 01:54 AM
Real question, who should be fired first, Glen Healey or Nick Kypryos? Why either one is employed is beyond me.I don't have a problem with either, but I wouldn't miss Healey. I've grown to enjoy Kypreos most of the time since he's always correcting Bill Watters for some dumbfuck statement or another. Aside from Watters, I don't have strong feelings about many other analysts. From TSN I like McKenzie, don't care for Dreger. Both stations have their ups and downs.

I prefer TSN just because Sportsnet decides to play poker all day long and have established themselves as more of a baseball station than a hockey station.

edit- not thrilled about the changes to the TSN website though...

two24four
04-12-2008, 10:08 AM
How about Rod Black calling the Avs vs Wild game last night while Gord Miller has lost his voice, I thought Rod did a good job.

two24four
04-12-2008, 11:10 AM
I don't have a problem with either, but I wouldn't miss Healey. I've grown to enjoy Kypreos most of the time since he's always correcting Bill Watters for some dumbfuck statement or another. Aside from Watters, I don't have strong feelings about many other analysts. From TSN I like McKenzie, don't care for Dreger. Both stations have their ups and downs.

I prefer TSN just because Sportsnet decides to play poker all day long and have established themselves as more of a baseball station than a hockey station.

edit- not thrilled about the changes to the TSN website though...

I agree with that, Kipper really is not that bad, most times he knows what he's talking about, I think he would be better over at TSN, as he's stuck on that hockey set with Watters and Millard most of the time, I cant stand those two guys.

One thing Sportsnet does have over TSN is they show Jr hockey games and Lacrosse, which I like, to bad Peter Loubardias has to call the Jr hockey games though, dude know's his Jr hockey which is great, I like him for that, I dont think anyone know's Jr hockey like he does, but I cant stand his voice when he's doing the play by play, I would rather him do the colour for the games.

b_illin
04-13-2008, 11:58 AM
TSN, but I think TSN is cheese like it's Southern big brother ESPN - all the slick suits and so on is silly in my eyes. I prefer Hockeycentral on Sportsnet to Molson That's Hockey on TSN, but in general, Sportsnet is even cheesier (although they do have some hot chicks). Jamie Campbel (Jennifer Hedgers hubbie) is a wanker. Dutch is the biggest wanker ever (nice makeup dude) and hedger reminds me of a Transvestite (even though everyone thinks she's hot....although in real life she was pretty hot and partied like a Rockstar at the old Underground on King...we got shittered together...if only because the old bar was like 10x10)

All in all, I watch the Score over either of those channels for highlights. I like Micallef, Sansone, Seixeiro, Kouleas, Ludzik, Ambrogio, Cabbie, Virk and even Sharman (the brit). Much better and much more fun programming.

Hobbes
04-13-2008, 07:50 PM
Sean McCormik is the one married to Jennifer Hedger I think.

And two24four i agree - Loubardias is absolutely terrible. His play by play when a goal is scored is the worst - "he skee-orrrrs".

snoopzen
04-13-2008, 10:18 PM
This time of the year, I definitely miss cable.

narduch
04-14-2008, 10:27 AM
TSN looks better simply because it has more money. Sportsnet is trying to catch up, but it takes time to defeat an established power when it comes to broadcasting. Now that they have Ted Rogers money, they will try to make a better run at TSN.

Generally, I watch whichever network is showing the content I want to see.

For highlights, The Score does kick both TSN and SN's asses.

One point, who the hell watches OTR? That is hands down the worst show in sports.

two24four
04-14-2008, 11:55 AM

One point, who the hell watches OTR? That is hands down the worst show in sports.

I use to watch it pretty much all the time when it 1st came on, but I'm with you, I also dont watch it anymore, I cant stand Landsberg, I dont know how any of his guests can put up with him.

b_illin
04-15-2008, 12:32 PM
Sean McCormik is the one married to Jennifer Hedger I think.

And two24four i agree - Loubardias is absolutely terrible. His play by play when a goal is scored is the worst - "he skee-orrrrs".

Good call...I always get them mixed up!

two24four
04-15-2008, 12:59 PM
What !! Sean McCormik is married to Jennifer Hedger, wow I had no idea, I cant stand that guy,...........anyone remember when she was on the Lofters in the early 2000's, she was hot as hell on that show.

boredguy
04-27-2008, 08:16 PM
After the playoffs i take back my question. Glen Healy is easily the worst commentator i've ever heard. I've never wanted someone to shutup as much as him. He's worse then Bryant Gumbel doing football, he's just boring and not completely fucking retarded and full of himself like Healy.

phaneuf6
04-27-2008, 08:28 PM
After the playoffs i take back my question. Glen Healy is easily the worst commentator i've ever heard. I've never wanted someone to shutup as much as him. He's worse then Bryant Gumbel doing football, he's just boring and not completely fucking retarded and full of himself like Healy.

Exactly.

WIS
04-27-2008, 08:52 PM
It's embarrassing how his name was thrown around as a possible GM of the Leafs.

jelmhirst12
05-26-2008, 06:14 PM
Honestly I like the Score the best.

CayugaPosse
05-26-2008, 09:25 PM
The Score can suck my balls.

How can you have an HD channel STILL broadcasting every highlight in regular def? It looks like shit. Fuck them until they actually put some money into their show.

/end rant

two24four
05-26-2008, 10:17 PM
The Score is awesome IMO, getting better and better all the time, most of there new shows kick ass, as I have said before, if Sportsnet did not show Leafs games, Baseball, Lacrosse, and Jr hockey I dont think I would really watch it much, I do like Martine Gaillard, Kipper, Toth and the Bob Cat though.

narduch
05-27-2008, 05:59 AM
The Score is usually the best for highlights (they should be, its their damn mandate). But I find their Drive This (I think that's what its called) show unbearable. Do I really want to watch a show where some chick (who probably only got the job because her father is a high powered agent) spends the entire show saying, 'uh huh', 'ya'. Its like the Timbaland version of a sports show side kick. :p

But like I said earlier, I usually just watch whichever channel is showing the sporting event I want to see. I'm not that picky.

b_illin
05-27-2008, 09:58 AM
The Score can suck my balls.

How can you have an HD channel STILL broadcasting every highlight in regular def? It looks like shit. Fuck them until they actually put some money into their show.

/end rant

They have some in HD feeds - I would guess they can't get an HD feed for every highlight for one reason or another (I'm guessing some mkts don't shoot in HD). It's no different than TSN or Sportsnet HD - smae shit happens there.

b_illin
05-27-2008, 10:00 AM
The Score is usually the best for highlights (they should be, its their damn mandate). But I find their Drive This (I think that's what its called) show unbearable. Do I really want to watch a show where some chick (who probably only got the job because her father is a high powered agent) spends the entire show saying, 'uh huh', 'ya'. Its like the Timbaland version of a sports show side kick. :p

But like I said earlier, I usually just watch whichever channel is showing the sporting event I want to see. I'm not that picky.

Me too. I hate that Sportsnet and now the Score are doing this these days. Muy annoying!

CayugaPosse
05-27-2008, 11:58 PM
They have some in HD feeds - I would guess they can't get an HD feed for every highlight for one reason or another (I'm guessing some mkts don't shoot in HD). It's no different than TSN or Sportsnet HD - smae shit happens there.

No they don't. TSN almost everything is in HD nowadays. The Score has NO highlights in an actual true HD feed. None. I've NEVER seen one. Ever. Even games THEY SHOWED IN HD, don't get replayed in HD on The Score's highlights packages.

narduch
05-28-2008, 03:41 PM
Me too. I hate that Sportsnet and now the Score are doing this these days. Muy annoying!

Well, at least Prime Time Sports is a more compelling sports show (except when Mike Toth hosts of course, he tries so hard to be funny but he isn't).

WIS
05-28-2008, 04:20 PM
Well, at least Prime Time Sports is a more compelling sports show (except when Mike Toth hosts of course, he tries so hard to be funny but he isn't).
I can't stand that tool. I really don't like anything about Sportsnet. I only watch Score for occasional highlights and thus TSN is my sports destination.

CayugaPosse
05-29-2008, 03:07 AM
I like The Score in theory too. None of their personalities really drive me insane which is all Sportsnet does. I don't think I like a single personality on those shows. Maybe the dude that does the hockey segments, can't remember his name. Millard maybe is it? The guy that hosts Hockeycentral with Kypreos(who I hate). I don't hate him that much. Not like the rest of the regulars.

And Martine's decent. Everyone else drives me up the wall. Toth. That guy from the west coast, "in Kovalevian fashion!", McKormick...fuck all those tools.

The Score has decent personalities. But sorry, you've had an HD channel for how long now and you still can't pay for satalite feeds from other cities so you get all highlights in HD? TSN does it. Sportsnet does it. If they did it they may be my favourite. As it stands, I refuse to have a home theater system worth over 7k and not be watching TV in HD...The Score looks like SHIT during highlights. If anyone has HDTV's and has tried watching regular TV, or tried watching the score, they know what I'm talking about.

TSN is the shit until The Score gets their game together.

narduch
05-29-2008, 07:45 AM
Sometimes the Score picture quality even looks like shit for standard definition. I was watching Toronto FC v NY Red Bulls a few weeks ago on the Score and the picture was terrible. I've streamed sporting events online with better quality.

two24four
09-03-2008, 01:25 AM
Anyone else see the new Score studio tonight, it's sweet looking, I think it's the best now between TSN, Sportsnet and The Score, it's now all in HD as well, it look's huge now, nothing like that small "room" they had before.

The new studio even has window's where they stand and you can see the street outside behide them, they where joking tonight saying they can now also do the weather from the window.

The Score IMO is becoming #1 very, very fast, only down side is they dont show Leafs (NHL), Jays (MLB) or any NFL games, other then that it's awesome, for Sports news, highlights and all the new show's they now have, it's great.

Edit: Here is a story on the new studio....

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/488509

two24four
05-07-2010, 11:44 AM
I read that Sean McCormick is going to be running for a seat on Toronto city council.

Oh and looking back in this thread, after bumping The Score up before, they are back down the list again IMO, they took a big time fall after getting rid of alot of there shows, Drive this, score tonight, there hockey show at night, etc....Gabe leaving also did not help them, alot of people did like him, but he does have a huge following.

b_illin
05-07-2010, 12:24 PM
The Score has been slipping....too bad as a year or two ago it was awesome. They really moved away from hockey...

two24four
05-07-2010, 12:41 PM
The Score has been slipping....too bad as a year or two ago it was awesome. They really moved away from hockey...

Well it does not help that they dont show any NHL games, but yeah I agree, I did not mind there hockey show.

They are more into the NBA, and college sports. I was really pissed when they got rid of the score tonight, I loved watching Sid and Tim show highlights.

b_illin
05-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Well it does not help that they dont show any NHL games, but yeah I agree, I did not mind there hockey show.

They are more into the NBA, and college sports. I was really pissed when they got rid of the score tonight, I loved watching Sid and Tim show highlights.

Me too...I miss the daily hockey show with Kouleas as well (they do one now, but I miss the hour-long version they had at 6pm and later on each night).

WIS
05-07-2010, 04:35 PM

Do you remember back in the day when they had the split screen showing simultaneous NHL games?

Dubz
05-07-2010, 04:50 PM
Do you remember back in the day when they had the split screen showing simultaneous NHL games?

I remember when it was just a ticker. Used to watch it and/or put it on first thing in the morning back when i was addicted to proline. I also remember there was a local phone # you could call to get all the scores....I used to call on a payphone during break at work:lol:

keyboard
05-07-2010, 05:14 PM
Fuck, I hate Mike Milbury.

two24four
05-07-2010, 05:20 PM

I remember when it was just a ticker. Used to watch it and/or put it on first thing in the morning back when i was addicted to proline. I also remember there was a local phone # you could call to get all the scores....I used to call on a payphone during break at work:lol:

haha, yeah I remember both, they really have got away from hockey, they never use to show any live sports games til a few years ago.

Was it not called headline sports or something like that to start, back when Tim had hair.

Edit: I also must say Bob Cole called one his best games in a long, long time last night, doing the Habs vs Pens game, he was great.

boredguy
05-08-2010, 12:06 PM
It's too bad Cole is senile/blind and has no clue what's happening any more. If you don't care that's he's incredible inaccurate with what he's saying he's still a great play by play guy.

two24four
05-08-2010, 12:12 PM
It's too bad Cole is senile/blind and has no clue what's happening any more. If you don't care that's he's incredible inaccurate with what he's saying he's still a great play by play guy.

Yeah his voice is awesome for calling games, we all grew up with him calling games on CBC, but yeah it's just not the same anymore. They where re-showing a game the other night late on CBC from back in the day with Cole calling it, very smooth call, I do miss the Cole-Neal combo from back in the day, but now they are both old, I think I heard the other day that Cole is 77 now.

I wish they would get away from Galley, I cant stand him, I would rather it just be Cole and Healy.

b_illin
05-08-2010, 12:31 PM
I figured sports networks were profitable, but wow!

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/800770--sportsnet-tsn-record-big-profits

CayugaPosse
05-15-2010, 01:39 PM
I figured sports networks were profitable, but wow!

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/800770--sportsnet-tsn-record-big-profits

It's a long way from losing $25 million a year the first few years TSN was in business.

Dubz
05-22-2010, 09:57 AM
Laraque vs St. Pierre

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=322281

two24four
06-24-2010, 11:09 AM
I know this is a TV thread, but I thought I would put this hear, it's media, some big changes at the Fan590.

Steve Simmons twitter

Carnage at the Fan - Stellick, Landry, Hogan, all gone...Still waiting to hear about E Smith and Jack Armstrong - McCown moving from 3 to 6

Greg Brady is leaving am640 to join the Fan590 from the sounds of it.

Greg Brady will replace Daren Millard on Hockeycentral at noon. Millard leaves radio gig but still has main gig on tv at sportsnet

b_illin
07-11-2010, 10:40 AM
Is anyone else as tired of The Score devoting so much time on the World Cup. They've been talking about the same bloody thing every night for over a week. And then they play it on repeat all the time. ENOUGH!

two24four
07-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Is anyone else as tired of The Score devoting so much time on the World Cup. They've been talking about the same bloody thing every night for over a week. And then they play it on repeat all the time. ENOUGH!

I use to love The Score about a year ago, but when they made all there changes, taking The Score tonight, drive this, hard core hockey talk, etc....off the air, I now really dont watch The Score at all anymore, just a few things now, it was getting so good, it even past Sportsnet in my books there for awhile, now it's back down to #3 behind TSN and Sportsnet.

The show wrestling live, then show it again about 3 more times in the next 24 hours, not cool.

b_illin
07-11-2010, 03:35 PM
I use to love The Score about a year ago, but when they made all there changes, taking The Score tonight, drive this, hard core hockey talk, etc....off the air, I now really dont watch The Score at all anymore, just a few things now, it was getting so good, it even past Sportsnet in my books there for awhile, now it's back down to #3 behind TSN and Sportsnet.

The show wrestling live, then show it again about 3 more times in the next 24 hours, not cool.

Totally agree on all points. They were getting awesome then decided to appeal to very specific segments - eg. soccer fans with the world cup stuff or wrestling fans with all that WWE crap. Too bad because as you said, they were becoming kick-ass.

WIS
07-11-2010, 06:47 PM

I laugh when they have their serious talks about it.

madsci
07-12-2010, 07:41 PM
Well, I think the Score and Sportsnet have to work to find their niche audiences to pick away at TSN. Just like Sportsnet was WAY ahead of TSN in the promotion of MMA, it decided to jump on what was considered a fringe sport because TSN just wasn't covering it. Presumably MMA fans would watch Sportsnet news instead of TSN if they wanted to see MMA highlights. I think this is what the Score is doing with WC and (ahem) wrestling.

ps. Anyone know why TSN shows stills for WC highlights most of the time, with very short vid the rest? Did CBC decide to screw them over for rights? Is this fallout from CBC losing out on the last Olympics? Anyone?

WIS
07-12-2010, 07:47 PM
Well, I think the Score and Sportsnet have to work to find their niche audiences to pick away at TSN. Just like Sportsnet was WAY ahead of TSN in the promotion of MMA, it decided to jump on what was considered a fringe sport because TSN just wasn't covering it. Presumably MMA fans would watch Sportsnet news instead of TSN if they wanted to see MMA highlights. I think this is what the Score is doing with WC and (ahem) wrestling.

ps. Anyone know why TSN shows stills for WC highlights most of the time, with very short vid the rest? Did CBC decide to screw them over for rights? Is this fallout from CBC losing out on the last Olympics? Anyone?
It's not only TSN. The local news did the same thing.

phaneuf6
07-12-2010, 09:13 PM
CBC probably held back everybody on the rights.

CayugaPosse
07-12-2010, 10:11 PM
Notes on a few topics...

Greg Brady coming to the Fan 590 for anyone who doesn't listen to him is awesome, he's great. I know this'll catch me shit because no one likes me bringing it up, but he teaches at our school and he's a real great guy too, lots of fun, so good on him.

TSN showing the stills is a copyright issue, they don't have the rights to show video highlights until 11:00pm I believe. I think the logic in that stipulation for CBC is so they don't show highlights until CBC does the replay of the game, and the nightly news gets a chance to be the first ones out with the highlights.

As for The Score's changes, most of them were necessity. I know the guy that used to host the gambling shows with Cam Stewart, Gabe Morency, was fired for showing up drunk to work and going on air drunk.

And lastly, The Score showing WWE isn't "lame" if you're a businessman, like it or not, WWE is one of the highest rated cable entities in all of television...that's a huge moneymaker for them holding exclusive rights to all WWE programming.

two24four
07-12-2010, 10:33 PM
Yeah Greg Brady coming over to the Fan 590 was a good move, I liked that once I heard about it when all this went down at the Fan, to bad though that Eric Smith and Jack Armstrong are getting bumped in the afternoon. Iam glad Darren Millard wont be hosting the hockey show in the afternoon anymore.

As for Morency like him or hate him he brought in a HUGE fan base when he was with The Score, most of them left when he did. He seems to be doing ok now with his own web-site and the live show he does on there every night now.

Not sure why they got rid of The Score tonight with Sid and Tim, that was just dumb, it was one of the best shows they had, if not the best. HHT was a good show as well.

two24four
07-29-2010, 02:01 PM
Sportsnet is bringing out a new channel called Sportsnet One, it comes out Aug 14th.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/one/

canuckthug
07-29-2010, 10:47 PM
Sportsnet is bringing out a new channel called Sportsnet One, it comes out Aug 14th.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/one/

Heard about this. They will have over 800 hours of live sports coverage. They will showcase 13 Canuck games and all 13 will be blacked out in my region. Stupid sportsnet blackout regulation. Plus cant forget about the other 45 games on sportsnet pacific which are blacked out !!!

Some questions and comments about Sportsnet/ TSN"

- what ever happened to Mike Toth? He was the best!
-why the fuck are TSN/ Sportsnet now showing movies?? TSN showed Tin Cup with Kevin Costner just before the Masters and Sportsnet showed YoungBlood or YoungGuns (some hockey movie) a few days ago. Leave the movies for the movie channels.

two24four
07-29-2010, 11:47 PM
Heard about this. They will have over 800 hours of live sports coverage. They will showcase 13 Canuck games and all 13 will be blacked out in my region. Stupid sportsnet blackout regulation. Plus cant forget about the other 45 games on sportsnet pacific which are blacked out !!!

Some questions and comments about Sportsnet/ TSN"

- what ever happened to Mike Toth? He was the best!
-why the fuck are TSN/ Sportsnet now showing movies?? TSN showed Tin Cup with Kevin Costner just before the Masters and Sportsnet showed YoungBlood or YoungGuns (some hockey movie) a few days ago. Leave the movies for the movie channels.

Toth was let go by both Sportsnet and the Fan 590, I forget what he said on the air one day on the radio, but that was pretty much it for him after he said it.

I think the movies are just time fillers during the summer, on the odd night when there are not much sports going on.

CayugaPosse
07-30-2010, 12:30 AM
Toth was let go by both Sportsnet and the Fan 590, I forget what he said on the air one day on the radio, but that was pretty much it for him after he said it.

I think the movies are just time fillers during the summer, on the odd night when there are not much sports going on.

Toth had started to wear on alot of people in the industry with various stupid comments and stupid articles(this is a guy that wrote a blog about how big a jackass Roy Halladay was for not being in the WBC), but the "final straw" was this quote on the FAN 590(which I assume is what you're referring to) :

"There are no female sportscasters that have as much knowledge as their male counterparts"

That was the end of him.

two24four
07-30-2010, 08:41 AM
Toth had started to wear on alot of people in the industry with various stupid comments and stupid articles(this is a guy that wrote a blog about how big a jackass Roy Halladay was for not being in the WBC), but the "final straw" was this quote on the FAN 590(which I assume is what you're referring to) :

"There are no female sportscasters that have as much knowledge as their male counterparts"

That was the end of him.

Yeah that was it, thanks, I could not remember what he said.

I agree that he was wearing on people, I use to like him back in the day, not so much that last few years. It was almost like he thought he was better then everyone else.

I also dont miss Sean McCormick on Sportsnet.

chgorman
07-30-2010, 12:32 PM
Can't say I ever liked Toth. Always thought his 'jokes' were super lame and he seemed like a douche from the start to me. That comment that got him fired just confirms it.

phaneuf6
07-30-2010, 01:48 PM
I would say 90% of the Sportsnet cast are 2nd class broadcasters. They're always trying to crack lame jokes, and they're unprofessional in their delivery a lot of the time. That's why I stick to TSN. At least Dutchie, Duthie, Onrait, O'Toole, etc are funny.

two24four
07-30-2010, 02:03 PM
I would say 90% of the Sportsnet cast are 2nd class broadcasters. They're always trying to crack lame jokes, and they're unprofessional in their delivery a lot of the time. That's why I stick to TSN. At least Dutchie, Duthie, Onrait, O'Toole, etc are funny.

I agree.

Onrait is the best, f*ck he's funny.

Dont forget Rod Smith and Gino, they are good as well.

Brad Fay is ok with Sportsnet, I cant stand that Don Taylor guy though.

phaneuf6
07-30-2010, 02:41 PM
YouTube- onraitotoole.mpg

Dubz
07-30-2010, 03:03 PM

two24four
07-30-2010, 04:26 PM
haha, that's what I'm talking about, dude is a card. I follow him on twitter, he does not post much, but when he does alot of it makes you laugh.

CayugaPosse
07-31-2010, 12:38 PM
I find the combo of Sid and Tim funnier, the dumbest thing The Score ever did was kill Score Tonight with the two of them. It ran unopposed against the other shows since it was a night show that ran off timed from Sportscenter running, and they were the best.

I don't really care about HHT because I don't like Steve Kouleas, but Score Tonight was a big mistake.

saveur
08-01-2010, 05:47 PM
Damn Sportsnet...

They're the only network showing UFC Jones - Matyushenko today in Canada.

Only problem is that I live out west so I get SNETW, and for some reason they're delaying it on SNETW and SNETP for 1 and 2 hours respectively but showing it live on SNETO and SNETE. Why can't you just show it live on all your feeds?!

two24four
08-01-2010, 06:48 PM
I find the combo of Sid and Tim funnier, the dumbest thing The Score ever did was kill Score Tonight with the two of them. It ran unopposed against the other shows since it was a night show that ran off timed from Sportscenter running, and they were the best.

I don't really care about HHT because I don't like Steve Kouleas, but Score Tonight was a big mistake.

I have been saying this for awhile now, The Score tonight was awesome.

Like I said before, The Score was making it's way up the ranks fast, now they are back down at the bottom IMO, if they ever end up losing/stop showing college sports (NCAA football and basketball) that will sink them even more, as it is they dont show any NHL, MLB or NFL games, and I think they just lost the Raptors to Sportsnet again.

CayugaPosse
08-02-2010, 11:33 PM
The idea is live TV costs alot of money, while features are relatively easy to piece together. I could go do a piece like Cabby does today and have it done in a day. I may not have the same interview personality as he does, but the actual physical task of doing it, you cut WAY down on the number of people you need to employ.

The problem is after a while your entire network being nothing but features and highlights with voiceovers but no on camera people or no live content becomes incredibly repetitive and boring. Seriously, turn on The Score and leave it there for 3 hours and make a list of how many times you see things, I guarantee it looks something like this when you're done :

Jays/Yankees highlights x 6
Cabbie piece x 3

etc etc, there is so much repitition and boredom there it's scary. And it's somewhat tragic considering they have EASILY the most talented group of people to pull from.

Sid and Tim, Mauro Ronello for MMA, Tim and the guy whose name I forget right now for some reason that do Court Surfing and March Madness are amazing, the Footy Show guys Kristian Jack and James Sharman, these are some of the very best in the business at covering their sports, and they're all wasted.

It's good for someone like me who wants to work in an editing bay, I'd LOVE to be at the Score because everything they do is features, so you're busy, your shit gets played constantly on the station and you get paid handsomely because their editors are literally the most important people to that network with how vital they are to all those features looking right.

But it's not great for TV. I'd like to see Score Tonight returned, Court Surfing continued, an expanded version of The Footy Show, and maybe 1 or 2 other live shows on there(return of Hardcore Hockey Talk although I am not a fan I suppose is one that should be done).

b_illin
08-03-2010, 12:31 PM
The idea is live TV costs alot of money, while features are relatively easy to piece together. I could go do a piece like Cabby does today and have it done in a day. I may not have the same interview personality as he does, but the actual physical task of doing it, you cut WAY down on the number of people you need to employ.

The problem is after a while your entire network being nothing but features and highlights with voiceovers but no on camera people or no live content becomes incredibly repetitive and boring. Seriously, turn on The Score and leave it there for 3 hours and make a list of how many times you see things, I guarantee it looks something like this when you're done :

Jays/Yankees highlights x 6
Cabbie piece x 3

etc etc, there is so much repitition and boredom there it's scary. And it's somewhat tragic considering they have EASILY the most talented group of people to pull from.

Sid and Tim, Mauro Ronello for MMA, Tim and the guy whose name I forget right now for some reason that do Court Surfing and March Madness are amazing, the Footy Show guys Kristian Jack and James Sharman, these are some of the very best in the business at covering their sports, and they're all wasted.

It's good for someone like me who wants to work in an editing bay, I'd LOVE to be at the Score because everything they do is features, so you're busy, your shit gets played constantly on the station and you get paid handsomely because their editors are literally the most important people to that network with how vital they are to all those features looking right.

But it's not great for TV. I'd like to see Score Tonight returned, Court Surfing continued, an expanded version of The Footy Show, and maybe 1 or 2 other live shows on there(return of Hardcore Hockey Talk although I am not a fan I suppose is one that should be done).

I know a girl in HR at Score Media if you ever need the contact.

CayugaPosse
08-03-2010, 11:45 PM
I know a girl in HR at Score Media if you ever need the contact.

I may actually take you up on that once I graduate the school at the end of this school year(next summer). I know the school does alot to help you get your foot in, but deffinitely can't hurt to know other people. Thanks.

two24four
08-05-2010, 10:32 PM
The Score made a good move today bringing back College Football Game Day this fall, after not showing it last season.

two24four
08-14-2010, 09:53 AM
What a joke, as of right now Rogers is the only one carrying the new Sportsnet One channel, so for those of us outside of Toronto who dont have Rogers cable we are going to miss the 25 Jays games they are going to be carrying starting tonight :mad:

two24four
08-19-2010, 11:14 AM
Sounds like The Score let go of both Steve Kouleas and Cabbie's "man D" today.

CayugaPosse
08-24-2010, 12:54 AM
Sounds like The Score let go of both Steve Kouleas and Cabbie's "man D" today.

Kouleas wasn't formally "let go", they just didn't renew his deal with them which had expired.

"D" is a good guy, not sure what happened there but he busts his ass so he'll land on his feet somewhere.

two24four
08-24-2010, 11:10 AM
I wont be shocked if Kouleas ends up on TSN, CBC or even Sportsnet at some point during the hockey season.

secol
08-24-2010, 01:17 PM
D doesn't really seem to do anything though lol.......

two24four
08-24-2010, 01:23 PM
D doesn't really seem to do anything though lol.......

He was Cabbie's producer, so I'm sure he did alot of stuff we did not see.

CayugaPosse
08-24-2010, 06:30 PM
Ya he did a fair amount of production/editing with Cabbie(who also does a fair chunk of both, Cabbie may be the hardest working dude in all of sports broadcasting honestly). He also used to work at the FAN 590 for quite a while, infact they still have a huge mural of pictures he took of all the staff up in the building, it's pretty cool actually.

Kouleas is a kinda goofy guy, he came to our school one day, he's so goddamn hyper it's out of control. Genuinely nice though, despite the fact I didn't like him on the air one bit.

secol
08-24-2010, 08:44 PM
ahhh right....makes sense with the "my man d productions"

two24four
11-09-2010, 02:11 PM
Was not sure whre else to put this.

Sounds like ESPN is making some changes to Sunday night baseball, Miller and Morgan are out, sounds like Dan Shulman will be taking over doing the play by play for Sunday night baseball.

I love that Shulman is taking over, he's one of the best play by play guys out there.

canuckthug
11-09-2010, 02:31 PM
Dan Shulman is pretty good. Still surprised at how good Buck Martinez did this year doing play-by-play. Those guys together back in the day were money!

two24four
11-09-2010, 02:37 PM
Dan Shulman is pretty good. Still surprised at how good Buck Martinez did this year doing play-by-play. Those guys together back in the day were money!

Agreed, I miss those days, they where awesome together.

canuckthug
11-09-2010, 02:40 PM
BTW, I voted for Sports Net. Rogers all the way!! I like the panel on TSN better but If i lived in the BC/Yukon area, i would get every single Canuck game. 50+ games on Rogers. 10 or so CBC, 10 + on TSN. My beef with TSN is they sold they're soul to ESPN back in the day. I have no beef with ESPN, they are the world wide leader of sports... im just sayin.

CayugaPosse
11-23-2010, 03:50 AM
BTW, I voted for Sports Net. Rogers all the way!! I like the panel on TSN better but If i lived in the BC/Yukon area, i would get every single Canuck game. 50+ games on Rogers. 10 or so CBC, 10 + on TSN. My beef with TSN is they sold they're soul to ESPN back in the day. I have no beef with ESPN, they are the world wide leader of sports... im just sayin.

I'd take TSN Sportscenter over ESPN Sportscenter any day. Granted I haven't seen a ton of ESPN's work, but their Sportscenter shows are so badly produced and they always do such stupid shit on them(the legendary "who's more it?" or whatever the fuck it was contest for example).

ESPN Radio, now that's a different story. Those guys are fucking pros to an insane degree(or at least the majority of them).

ESPN "All Night" with Jason Smith is my favourite show on sports radio. Really great knowledge and opinion mixed with a really off the cuff and funny/entertaining delivery. Good interviews. He's outstanding.

two24four
11-23-2010, 12:31 PM
I'd take TSN Sportscenter over ESPN Sportscenter any day. Granted I haven't seen a ton of ESPN's work, but their Sportscenter shows are so badly produced and they always do such stupid shit on them(the legendary "who's more it?" or whatever the fuck it was contest for example).

ESPN Radio, now that's a different story. Those guys are fucking pros to an insane degree(or at least the majority of them).

ESPN "All Night" with Jason Smith is my favourite show on sports radio. Really great knowledge and opinion mixed with a really off the cuff and funny/entertaining delivery. Good interviews. He's outstanding.

Agreed, I have always liked Smith.

canuckthug
11-24-2010, 09:06 PM
Holy smokes, the game on TSN2 is unbearable. Im talking about the announce team of Rod Black and somebody... I know Randorph ( the host of CFL football ) is pretty decent. He used to do double headers on TSN back in the day. Cuthburt was just in PHX so i understand him not being in OTT but having Rod Black (who got into the industry doing news, not sports ) has no passion for hockey. Hes tolerable at golf and basketball IMO but not at hockey. I have no idea why Paul Rominuk and Garry Green are long gone... Green still works for the NHL network which is connected to TSN and i recall Rominuk doing games (Spengler CUp) on both SPNET & TSN.

two24four
11-24-2010, 10:19 PM
Holy smokes, the game on TSN2 is unbearable. Im talking about the announce team of Rod Black and somebody... I know Randorph ( the host of CFL football ) is pretty decent. He used to do double headers on TSN back in the day. Cuthburt was just in PHX so i understand him not being in OTT but having Rod Black (who got into the industry doing news, not sports ) has no passion for hockey. Hes tolerable at golf and basketball IMO but not at hockey. I have no idea why Paul Rominuk and Garry Green are long gone... Green still works for the NHL network which is connected to TSN and i recall Rominuk doing games (Spengler CUp) on both SPNET & TSN.

Rominuk lives over sea's now, that's why you dont see him calling NHL games, he's been over there for awhile.

Pretty sure Black was just filling in tonight for Randorph because he's out in Edmonton this week hosting the Grey Cup.

Gord Miller was in New Jersey tonight doing that game with McGuire.

two24four
11-29-2010, 11:53 PM
What's going on at The Score, now Cabbie on the street is leaving tomorrow, (Tuesday).

WIS
11-30-2010, 02:10 AM
What's going on at The Score, now Cabbie on the street is leaving tomorrow, (Tuesday).
What?! Why?

two24four
11-30-2010, 02:21 AM
What?! Why?

No idea, he wrote this on his twitter tonight.

Will be on Tim+Sid Uncut Tuesday at 4PM EST on Sirius 98 + Court Surfing at 7:30 PM EST on The Score. Tuesday is my last day at The Score.

canuckthug
11-30-2010, 06:26 AM
No idea, he wrote this on his twitter tonight.

Just watched the final Plays of the Week (with Sid, Tim, and Cabbie). They showed POTW and a bunch of Cabbies most memorable moments.. Meeting with Kobe, Jordan, Rachel Hunter, sipping from the Stanley and some other stuff.

Sid and Tim mentioned something about Cabbie being an intern and how hes moving on but no clear explanation was given. I know he hosted a Basketball show with some chic and then moved up to the score. The Score Network seemed a like a pretty good gig. A very good gig. He got to travel the country/world, get paid and meet all kinds of celebrities/athletes. Im not sure how Cabbies gonna top that, maybe hes retiring? Probably find out more today. He was a big clown.. a goofball. but those shenanigans was his character and it was entertaining. See ya Cabb! I actually met the dude/sort of. I was leaving a Raptors-Hawks game at ACC... It was a blowout, (i was ducking early to beat the crowd) and apparently so was Cabbie. He gave me a look, like "you got nothing on me!" and "im out." I kinda stared at amazement but it was funny and cool to actually see, "Cabbie on the Street." I give that dude props.

snoopzen
11-30-2010, 07:12 AM
I was at a "Boys 2 Men" event for Toronto male students (not the R&B group!) and Cabbie hosted. He was great, very personable and entertaining for the kids.

What I remember most about that event was talking to a friend of mine who organized it. Apparently Pinball Clemons was approached first, but he wanted $10 000 as an appearance fee... True, it was for his charitable organization, but still. My friend then approached Cabbie, who pretty much said, "if it's for the kids, then I'm there."

Good luck to him... The Score was a great opportunity for him, let's see what he does now.

phaneuf6
11-30-2010, 10:06 AM
I was at a "Boys 2 Men" event for Toronto male students (not the R&B group!) and Cabbie hosted. He was great, very personable and entertaining for the kids.

What I remember most about that event was talking to a friend of mine who organized it. Apparently Pinball Clemons was approached first, but he wanted $10 000 as an appearance fee... True, it was for his charitable organization, but still. My friend then approached Cabbie, who pretty much said, "if it's for the kids, then I'm there."

Good luck to him... The Score was a great opportunity for him, let's see what he does now.

Not to sidetrack the thread but Pinball Clemons is one of the best speakers I've heard. My highschool brought him in to talk to us and he was really good.

b_illin
11-30-2010, 12:41 PM

I don't know of that specific charity, but in Pinball's defence, there are a lot of charities that spend (read: waste) a lot of money on admin costs, fundraising, etc....some as high as 80% of the money raised for charitable purposes. Be careful who you donate money to as lots of charities are businesses more than anything else.

two24four
11-30-2010, 01:43 PM
I met Pinball way back in the day, one of the best people I have ever met.

I'm not sure why Cabbie is leaving, but The Score is going down hill fast IMO, after building it up a few years ago, if Sid and Tim ever leave they are f*cked, Cam Stewart is good for what he does, Gerry Dee is funny as well but he's not even on much anymore. The guy who won the 1st drafted last year blows, the dude who won this year looks like he might be better.

keyboard
11-30-2010, 02:18 PM
I can't believe that guy cried like a bitch after he won. Pretty brutal way to start your job.

phaneuf6
11-30-2010, 09:47 PM
Jim Kelley has lost his battle with cancer tonight. RIP.

two24four
11-30-2010, 09:53 PM
Jim Kelley has lost his battle with cancer tonight. RIP.

Yeah I just heard them say that as well.

Through me off when the said that because I just read his last article on Sportsnet.ca this afternoon. I always liked what he had to say.

RIP Jim.

pjm
11-30-2010, 11:18 PM
They just gave Cabbie a real nice send-off. Cabbie was actually in tears right at the end there.

Cabbie is a great guy, I wish him the best of luck wherever he is going.

b_illin
11-30-2010, 11:28 PM
^ it was a nice tribute...a bit cheesy at times, but nice. I bet he goes South.

two24four
12-01-2010, 12:20 AM
I did not see the show tonight on TV, but I did hear his send off on the radio today with Sid and Tim.

They asked Cabbie if wanted to say where he was going, he said not just yet. Alot of people seem to think he's going to TSN, guess we will find out soon enough.

canuckthug
12-01-2010, 01:39 AM
he must be going to another network... because he wouldnt say what hes doing next. If he was doing anything else, they would have mentioned it.

CayugaPosse
12-01-2010, 02:29 AM
I did not see the show tonight on TV, but I did hear his send off on the radio today with Sid and Tim.

They asked Cabbie if wanted to say where he was going, he said not just yet. Alot of people seem to think he's going to TSN, guess we will find out soon enough.

I've heard from a few people who I'm fairly certain would know, although I can't say for sure...that they're fairly certain he's going to one of those E! Tonight or whatever shows, like the one that Rick Campanelli hosts.

two24four
12-01-2010, 02:50 AM
I've heard from a few people who I'm fairly certain would know, although I can't say for sure...that they're fairly certain he's going to one of those E! Tonight or whatever shows, like the one that Rick Campanelli hosts.

I thought so, because today on the radio Sid kind of let it out, after they asked Cabbie if he wanted to tell everyone where he's going, and he said not yet, they where joking around and Sid something like I hope you dont treat Ben Mulroney like you do us, then he stoped himself and said, I've said to much, everyone agreed and they moved on.

keyboard
12-01-2010, 11:15 AM
^ it was a nice tribute...a bit cheesy at times, but nice. I bet he goes South.
http://knowyourmeme.com/i/000/042/151/original/jnjyxa31o8_thats_racist_animated1.gif?1267719873

b_illin
12-01-2010, 01:37 PM
http://knowyourmeme.com/i/000/042/151/original/jnjyxa31o8_thats_racist_animated1.gif?1267719873

Say what??

pjm
12-01-2010, 10:49 PM

snoopzen
12-01-2010, 11:05 PM
Not to sidetrack the thread but Pinball Clemons is one of the best speakers I've heard. My highschool brought him in to talk to us and he was really good.Not to sidetrack the thread either, but just wanted to say this about Pinball... I've met him too, and he is both a fantastic speaker and an EXTREMELY nice guy to boot. Just a little more expensive than a public school function was willing to pony up, I guess.

keyboard
12-02-2010, 11:54 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/sports/photos/2008/03/31/flutie-clemons-cp-392.jpg

Glorious.

CayugaPosse
12-04-2010, 03:18 AM
I thought so, because today on the radio Sid kind of let it out, after they asked Cabbie if he wanted to tell everyone where he's going, and he said not yet, they where joking around and Sid something like I hope you dont treat Ben Mulroney like you do us, then he stoped himself and said, I've said to much, everyone agreed and they moved on.

He's going to CTV to host an entertainment show. That's from someone that would deffinitely know.

keyboard
12-04-2010, 12:16 PM
Don't people go to entertainment shows to die?

two24four
12-04-2010, 12:37 PM
Wonder how this will work out for Cabbie, I wish him the best, but I think he should stay with sports, I'm sure the $$$$ is good though.

I doubt the stars he talks with will let him touch and get in there face like he does the sports players.

The Score is really going to miss him.

canuckthug
12-04-2010, 10:07 PM
The Score is really going to miss him.

Everybody leaves the score, they must not pay well...From the top of my head:

(spelling is horrible, oh well)

Sarah Orlesky
Tony Ambrogio
Martine Giahard
Elliot Freedman
Cabriel Richards
James Cybalski
Steve Kouleas

two24four
12-04-2010, 10:13 PM
Kouleas was let go.

WIS
12-04-2010, 10:22 PM
Kouleas was let go.
Why?

two24four
12-04-2010, 10:25 PM
Why?

I just dont think they have anything for him anymore, they dont have a hockey show anymore, that's pretty much all he did.

He was on TSN a few weeks ago doing the play by play for some womens hockey game, I'm not sure if he's with TSN now or not, I have not seen or heard from him since that game.

canuckthug
12-04-2010, 10:52 PM
Why?

too much drinking on the job.... coffee that is. dude was hyper.

Forgot to mention Gabe Morency. I heard he was let go for drinking on the job.. the hard stuff, the sauce, mothers milk... aka Alcohol. His radio show was entertaining.

two24four
12-05-2010, 01:38 AM
too much drinking on the job.... coffee that is. dude was hyper.

Forgot to mention Gabe Morency. I heard he was let go for drinking on the job.. the hard stuff, the sauce, mothers milk... aka Alcohol. His radio show was entertaining.

Yeah that's true.

He went to the Jays game early that night I guess and got into it abit, came back to host his show at 11pm, he was feeling pretty good.

He's doing his own show now, has his own web-site and everything.

phaneuf6
12-08-2010, 02:22 AM
Not sure if anybody else caught this live tonight, but it was pretty funny when it happened.

YouTube - Darren Pang's Comment On PK Subban (December 7 2010)

YouTube - Darren Pang Apologizes (December 7 2010)

ih8music
12-08-2010, 11:32 AM
ouch... that's a very unfortunate way to get tongue-tied.

two24four
12-08-2010, 12:59 PM
Bob McKenzie wrote this on twitter today.

A big welcome to the TSN hockey family for Steve Kouleas. You'll be seeing him in the new year.

I wonder if he will be calling games, or will he be another insider.

CayugaPosse
12-08-2010, 05:00 PM
I have a love hate relationship with Kouleas. I love his energy, and trust me, I've met him a few times, he's just like that in person, psychotically energetic. He also knows more about hockey than all of us put together times 10(the history of the game). You can literally ask him who won the Lady Byng in 1972 and he'd know it no problem.

That said, he also has a HUGE shortcoming in his "Canadian homerism", he's WAY too prone to siding with Canadians whenever analyzing hockey(MVP-Crosby or XXXX, it's always been Crosby even when it's clear it wasn't), or when he hates on Phoenix or other American markets and ignores all the reasons what he's saying is stupid.

He'd be better as a PBP guy I think, take his "opinion" out of it, and let him call hockey. He knows the sport, has crazy energy...his opinion is just too "Don Cherry-esque".

two24four
12-08-2010, 09:01 PM
Sounds like he will be hosting a show called HOCKEY2NITE on TSN2 at 11pm starting sometime in Jan.

keyboard
12-09-2010, 12:43 PM
http://blogs.thescore.com.s3.amazonaws.com/nhl/files/2010/12/DarrenPangCD.jpg

b_illin
12-09-2010, 12:52 PM
:lol::lol:

two24four
12-10-2010, 01:48 PM
Jeff Blair on the Fan 590 is a joke.

two24four
12-16-2010, 01:56 PM
Cabbie's new gig on CTV.

http://ctvmedia.ca/ctv/releases/release.asp?id=13277&yyyy=2010

b_illin
12-16-2010, 02:13 PM
Cabbie's new gig on CTV.

http://ctvmedia.ca/ctv/releases/release.asp?id=13277&yyyy=2010

Wow, that fucking sucks.

keyboard
12-16-2010, 02:14 PM
Sad.

two24four
12-16-2010, 02:28 PM
I know eh, would have been better if he was joining Ben Mulroney.

keyboard
12-16-2010, 04:17 PM
I know eh, would have been better if he was joining Ben Mulroney.
You know you're fucked when working with Ben Mulroney would be an upgrade. :lol:

two24four
12-16-2010, 06:51 PM
You know you're fucked when working with Ben Mulroney would be an upgrade. :lol:

:lol::lol:

I know, but it would be alot better then this.

pjm
12-16-2010, 08:39 PM
Really is sad. Hopefully a temporary gig.

b_illin
12-16-2010, 09:46 PM
I sent Cabbie an email this morning expressing my surprise about the Marilyn Denis Show & wishing him luck and he wrote back a nice email...good guy!

CayugaPosse
12-21-2010, 07:09 PM
I'm amazed sometimes at how terrible sportscasters are in this fucking country.

The very first thing(Habs_Freak pay attention since you're on your way there :P ), the VERY FIRST THING that is absolutely HAMMERED into us at our school is "names are everything, pronounce them and get them right". That's not even hard, any idiot can do it. It takes 2 minutes at most, usually they go without saying, but if it's hard, if you're at a sporting event, they hand out rosters with pronounciation guides in the media room. Just go get one. Or otherwise, just call up the team's office and ask them.

Instead, these are two things I heard yesterday, which both drove me up the wall.

TSN Sportscenter rolling Leafs/Thrashers highlights, they call him "Nikolai Grabovski".

TSN pre-game for Canada vs Switzerland World Jr warmup game, Gord Miller, Pierre McGuire and Sara Orlesky ALL, REPEATEDLY mispronounce Mark Visentin's last name. He's the goddamn starting goaltender(most likely) for Canada at the World Jr tournament, THAT YOU ARE BROADCASTING ALL GAMES OF. Please take the time to learn the GOALTENDER'S NAME. Thank you.

/end rant

two24four
12-21-2010, 07:18 PM
haha, one name in Jr hockey that I have heard most get wrong this season is Petes rookie Slater Koekkoek.

CayugaPosse
12-21-2010, 08:18 PM
Seriously, the media guides all have phoenetic spelling for names, it's not rocket surgery.

All of them said Visentin exactly how it looks. One look in the media guide shows it's pronounced Visen-teen.

CayugaPosse
12-27-2010, 06:40 PM
Further on that point, watching Sportscenter, Gino Reda just absolutely BUTCHERED Casey Cizikas' name. He wasn't even close.

two24four
12-29-2010, 01:57 PM
Most of the time on TSN they have been calling Kassian the right way, but a few times they have called him Kash-in, it's just how it looks, Kass-ian.

CayugaPosse
12-30-2010, 11:57 AM
This isn't really a TSN/Sportsnet thing(although I guess it's thinly a TSN thing since Damien Cox is a regular on Dave Hodge's show), but if anyone missed the twitter diatribe Damien Cox went on last night, I suggest you look at it, then read Greg Wyshysnki's(no idea if that's spelled right too lazy to look it up) response to him.

Basically, Cox went on this fucking asenine rant about how NBC and the NHL are so dumb and "only celebrating American teams" for the Winter Classic and how Canada keeps the NHL afloat and all this useless nonsense.

Wyshysnki said something to him, and he responded sarcastically about Greg not understand, and Greg's response was classic :

"@DamoSpin Talk about clueless : You know NBC doesn't show Canadian teams b/c Canadian viewers don't factor into US Ratings, right?"

I've ranted on this before so I'm not gonna start, but a few morons north of the border are absolutely out of control whining about Canada not getting respect it deserves(I'm looking at you Steve Kouleas). I'm so sick of shit like what Cox wrote when Greg is right, that is literally what this is all about. US ratings drive their ad revenue...why would they show Calgary vs Edmonton?

b_illin
12-30-2010, 12:15 PM
This isn't really a TSN/Sportsnet thing(although I guess it's thinly a TSN thing since Damien Cox is a regular on Dave Hodge's show), but if anyone missed the twitter diatribe Damien Cox went on last night, I suggest you look at it, then read Greg Wyshysnki's(no idea if that's spelled right too lazy to look it up) response to him.

Basically, Cox went on this fucking asenine rant about how NBC and the NHL are so dumb and "only celebrating American teams" for the Winter Classic and how Canada keeps the NHL afloat and all this useless nonsense.

Wyshysnki said something to him, and he responded sarcastically about Greg not understand, and Greg's response was classic :

"@DamoSpin Talk about clueless : You know NBC doesn't show Canadian teams b/c Canadian viewers don't factor into US Ratings, right?"

I've ranted on this before so I'm not gonna start, but a few morons north of the border are absolutely out of control whining about Canada not getting respect it deserves(I'm looking at you Steve Kouleas). I'm so sick of shit like what Cox wrote when Greg is right, that is literally what this is all about. US ratings drive their ad revenue...why would they show Calgary vs Edmonton?

I don't like the impassioned rants about how this is our game, blah blah blah, and Greg was right about US ratings dictating that US teams play in the Winter Classic....but it's still a kick in the balls. They should let us have our own Winter Classic up here then each year or, how about all 6 teams do a Cdn Winter Classic on Hockey Day In Canada? US TV ratings are important...but not as important as the cdn fan for the NHL's continued success. Just because we'll pay to watch hockey no matter what doesn't mean we should be left out every year. There has to be a logical solution that keeps everyone happy.

two24four
12-30-2010, 01:01 PM
I don't like the impassioned rants about how this is our game, blah blah blah, and Greg was right about US ratings dictating that US teams play in the Winter Classic....but it's still a kick in the balls. They should let us have our own Winter Classic up here then each year or, how about all 6 teams do a Cdn Winter Classic on Hockey Day In Canada? US TV ratings are important...but not as important as the cdn fan for the NHL's continued success. Just because we'll pay to watch hockey no matter what doesn't mean we should be left out every year. There has to be a logical solution that keeps everyone happy.

Yeah I would love that, I even said that in another thread the other day.

Cox is a douche anyways, I never have liked him.

CayugaPosse
12-30-2010, 01:15 PM

Certainly not a bad idea the Hockey Day in Canada being outdoors, that's up to CBC and the NHL to work out.

Greg's point about US ratings wasn't even in the sense I feel like you're taking it in. What he's saying is that from an NBC point of view(the company that is paying them to broadcast this event), NBC needs an American audience to benefit their shareholders and get their ad revenue. It's not about US ratings in the more general sense I feel like you're taking it in. NBC pays to air this game, they need it to be worth their while, and for that, they need specifically American ratings.

As for Hockey Day in Canada, like I said, CBC should pitch it to the NHL. Keep in mind that these things cost money to stage, you need to build the ice surface/everything to get the game off cleanly. Now, this year there is the Heritage Classic 2, Calgary and Montreal in McMahon Stadium, and the main title sponsor is Tim Hortons. If CBC is willing to sell lead ad space to Tim Horton's for Hockey Day in Canada, I'm sure this would be a great trial run for them to maybe pitch something along those lines next year.

The only reason CBC would be hesitant to stage these more often on their own like NBC does, is because CBC is not NBC, and has nowhere near the means NBC does to finance a game/advertise it. If Tim Horton's is involved, then all bets are off.

keyboard
12-30-2010, 04:00 PM
I don't see what the big deal is. It's not like every player on Canadian teams is from Canada. At some point people need to let go of this mindless nationalism in sports, it's stupid. Who in their right mind would want to watch EDM, CGY, OTT, or TOR play instead of WSH and PIT?

Not a real hockey fan, that's for sure.

two24four
01-12-2011, 01:33 PM
The Fan 590 is now Sportsnet Fan 590.

phaneuf6
01-12-2011, 01:44 PM
The Fan 590 is now Sportsnet Fan 590.

A reaction to the rumor that TSN are looking to get into sports radio?

two24four
01-12-2011, 01:56 PM
A reaction to the rumor that TSN are looking to get into sports radio?

Maybe.

I read something the other day that said The Hockey News might be looking into getting there own radio channel.

two24four
01-13-2011, 06:30 PM
Sounds like Sportsnet let Bill Waters go today.

Never like to see someone lose there job, but I never really liked him on Sportsnet, he always seemed like he was in a bad mood, he's out of the loop now anyways.

He still has his gig with AM 640.

WIS
01-18-2011, 02:33 PM
Sounds like Sportsnet let Bill Waters go today.

Never like to see someone lose there job, but I never really liked him on Sportsnet, he always seemed like he was in a bad mood, he's out of the loop now anyways.

He still has his gig with AM 640.
:lol::lol: so true.

two24four
01-19-2011, 05:13 PM
Steve Simmons twitter.

More media transactions: Damien Cox has resigned from The Star (effective April) to join TSN full time.

The Toronto media really has been moving around alot the last year or two.

keyboard
01-19-2011, 05:36 PM
The print media industry is dying.

CayugaPosse
01-19-2011, 10:24 PM
Sad, I was hoping Cox would just go away. I've had a couple interactions and there are few worse people I've met.

Interesting note about Steve Simmons breaking the story, Simmons is one of those few worse people.

two24four
01-20-2011, 01:46 AM
I agree about Cox, never have liked him, dont want to see him on TSN even more.

If this was a year or two ago I also would agree about Simmons, but he's kind of grown on me.

Another guy who bugs me is John Shannon on Sportsnet.

phaneuf6
01-20-2011, 09:11 AM
I agree about Cox, never have liked him, dont want to see him on TSN even more.

If this was a year or two ago I also would agree about Simmons, but he's kind of grown on me.

Another guy who bugs me is John Shannon on Sportsnet.

John Shannon is actually a nice guy, met him at the bar and had a few with him, he even gave me a ride after to where I needed to go.

Interested to see TSN2's version of NHL On the Fly with Kouleas starting February 1st.

b_illin
01-20-2011, 12:26 PM
John Shannon is actually a nice guy, met him at the bar and had a few with him, he even gave me a ride after to where I needed to go.

Interested to see TSN2's version of NHL On the Fly with Kouleas starting February 1st.

That doesn't read sketchy at all - drinking with teenaged boys and offering them rides home :shifty:

YouTube - The Real Degrassi: Wheels Gets Molested

(I wish the knob who did the voiceovers had just posted it normally)

(cue ........ .......)

phaneuf6
01-20-2011, 12:47 PM
There was a group of us, he was heading the same way, he was with Kelly Hrudey and PJ Stock, I don't think it's that big a deal.

two24four
01-20-2011, 01:50 PM
I'm not saying Shannon is not a nice guy, he just bugs me when he's on Sportsnet.

two24four
01-20-2011, 03:01 PM
Sounds like Cox is staying with the Star now.

phaneuf6
01-21-2011, 12:31 AM
Sounds like Cox is going back to Sportsnet now.

two24four
01-21-2011, 12:50 AM
Sounds like Cox is going back to Sportsnet now.

I was just coming here to post this, he's going to be on Sportsnet radio 590 and Sportsnet from the sounds of it, he wrote on twitter himself that he's going to miss TSN, but he's looking forward to joining the Bob Cat and Brunt. I think he's still going to be writing for the Star as well.

I wonder who will take his spot on the Reporters.

keyboard
01-21-2011, 02:09 AM
I wish he would stop dicking us around.

Get it?

Because his name is Cox.

Which is like cocks.

boredguy
01-24-2011, 05:40 PM
YouTube - Marty Turco mocked Pierre McGuire on the bench

keyboard
01-24-2011, 06:01 PM
Awesome.

two24four
02-01-2011, 02:07 PM
That's Hockey 2 Night starts tonight on TSN2 at 11pm.

two24four
02-08-2011, 12:40 PM
haha, only in Canada. TSN is doing a countdown to the NHL trade deadline tonight :lol:

canuckthug
02-15-2011, 01:42 PM
The trade deadline commercial on TSN is pretty funny. Everyone is on the move, working hard, making calls and then they show Jay Onrait at home wearing a robe..lol.

TSN gets a big edge over sportsnet on deadline day for sure.. More respectable panel... (but i still channel surf back & forth regardless!!)

two24four
02-15-2011, 01:59 PM
haha yeah I like it as well, the best though, is Onrait's coffee cup, it's a pic of old school Gino Reda with his stash, lol, Onrait is the shit.

TSN is by far the best when it comes to the trade deadline.

two24four
02-15-2011, 10:03 PM
Dan Shulman back with TSN, this is great news, love Shulman.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/baseball/tsn-adds-espns-dan-shulman-to-networks-baseball-coverage/article1908869/

Question(s) I have though is, what baseball other the the Sunday night game does TSN show? did they pick up some Jays games this season? or will this just be a like an insder type thing.

two24four
02-17-2011, 02:12 PM
TSN radio comes out April 13th.

http://www.ctvmedia.ca/tsn/

phaneuf6
02-20-2011, 02:04 PM
Damien Cox's continuous rants on Twitter are really starting to piss me off.

two24four
02-20-2011, 03:29 PM
Damien Cox's continuous rants on Twitter are really starting to piss me off.

Never liked him. Yet for some weird reason I also follow him on twitter.

boredguy
02-20-2011, 03:51 PM
Damien Cox is easily the worst media person in Toronto, really don't know why you guys would pay attention to him. He doesn't break any news either so he's not even worth following for that (which is the only reason i follow Kyper)

two24four
02-20-2011, 03:57 PM
Damien Cox is easily the worst media person in Toronto, really don't know why you guys would pay attention to him. He doesn't break any news either so he's not even worth following for that (which is the only reason i follow Kyper)

I like Kypreos, but really, he does not break alot of stuff on twitter, I find for the most part, he's alittle behind McKenzie, Dreger for that. But they are by far the best two in hockey for breaking news.

I never use to like Simmons till a few years ago, now I dont mind him, he tells it as it is, good or bad.

two24four
02-24-2011, 12:15 PM
I see TSN has March Madness this year.

TSN it seems like it's just getting better and better.

They have hockey, NFL, they have every single CFL game, Lacrosse, basketball, NCAA football and basketball now, curling etc....

Plus they are adding a radio station in April.

phaneuf6
02-24-2011, 12:26 PM
I wonder if they'll go after the NHL TV deal that CBC has when it expires in 2013. I can't see them being able to fit all those extra games in but goddamn that'd be impressive.

two24four
02-24-2011, 12:28 PM
I wonder if they'll go after the NHL TV deal that CBC has when it expires in 2013. I can't see them being able to fit all those extra games in but goddamn that'd be impressive.

For sure.

All the really need is more MLB games, all they have right now I think is the Sunday night game.

They show alot of Golf as well.

CayugaPosse
02-25-2011, 01:00 AM
I see TSN has March Madness this year.

TSN it seems like it's just getting better and better.

They have hockey, NFL, they have every single CFL game, Lacrosse, basketball, NCAA football and basketball now, curling etc....

Plus they are adding a radio station in April.

Just to be clear, that radio station when it first opens is going to be really, really budget. They're rushing to get it on the air, and all their programming(or 95% of it) will come from the United States(they're partnered with ESPN Radio, so they'll be picking up Jim Rome and a few other shows to fill slots).

Eventually TSN Radio will be good, since they're very good at what they do. But at first, it's going to be a bit dissapointing.

two24four
02-25-2011, 10:41 AM
Just to be clear, that radio station when it first opens is going to be really, really budget. They're rushing to get it on the air, and all their programming(or 95% of it) will come from the United States(they're partnered with ESPN Radio, so they'll be picking up Jim Rome and a few other shows to fill slots).

Eventually TSN Radio will be good, since they're very good at what they do. But at first, it's going to be a bit dissapointing.

Yeah I know I read all about that, I think it will be good once they get going, they should give Sportsnet Fan 590 a good run.

I know they brought in Mike Richards from out west to be a host.

CayugaPosse
02-26-2011, 04:57 PM
Yeah I know I read all about that, I think it will be good once they get going, they should give Sportsnet Fan 590 a good run.

I know they brought in Mike Richards from out west to be a host.

Ya, Mike Richards is doing the morning show. If they're smart they'll get a drive time host as well at the very least.

phaneuf6
02-26-2011, 05:20 PM
Ya, Mike Richards is doing the morning show. If they're smart they'll get a drive time host as well at the very least.

Are they going to want to compete with the Bobcat right away?

two24four
02-26-2011, 05:29 PM
Are they going to want to compete with the Bobcat right away?

If they can, I'm sure they will try, TSN will do anything I think.

two24four
03-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Sportsnet Fan 590 made more changes, Greg Brady and Jim Lang are the new morning hosts and Darren Millard is coming back to host HC at noon.

CayugaPosse
03-13-2011, 08:23 PM
Sportsnet Fan 590 made more changes, Greg Brady and Jim Lang are the new morning hosts and Darren Millard is coming back to host HC at noon.

They must be paying Greg very handsomely, becaus he did NOT want that job.

By the way, just noticed something said here about TSN being so much better than Sportsnet for Trade Deadline...wanted to add my thoughts...

Both looked absolutely asenine this year so really the winner was The Score for not making a huge deal about it and spending infinite money and 10 hours straight on it.

That said, we were doing it at school so we had both on all day, and I thought Sportsnet CLEARLY was the better broadcast this year. I think adding Bobcat and Brunt to the show really added an element of entertainment and intelligence that TSN couldn't match. They also had almost everything on their network before TSN. I think they broke almost every trade first, had interviews first, press conferences first. Kudos to them, they really did a great job this year.

two24four
03-13-2011, 09:35 PM
Yeah this year I agree Sportsnet was way better then TSN for there trade show.

WIS
03-13-2011, 10:19 PM
Yeah this year I agree Sportsnet was way better then TSN for there trade show.
But TSN's commercial leading up to it was the best! :lol:

two24four
04-12-2011, 11:11 AM
TSN radio hits the air tomorrow at 5:30am, just in time for the playoffs.

CayugaPosse
04-13-2011, 01:28 PM
Good for them for getting Mike Richards, but TSN Radio as it is currently presented is a goddamn nightmare.

They have made so many colossal mistakes in setting this thing up.

I like James Cybulski, but that was NOT the person you want going up against Bobcat. It was essentially Mike Landsberg or bust for them there. I know alot of people here probably hate Mike Landsberg, but he's the type of figure you want in that chair. He has instant credibility from being in the business for a long, long time and having interviewed everyone. Cybulski has no shot against Bobcat. None.

The Dan Patrick show from 1-4? Dan Patrick is good at what he does, but what he does is the United States. That shit doesn't fly up here. ESPN Radio, things like that, although Jason Smith does a great job and hardcore sports fans may like him, casual fans don't, not here in Canada. ESPN Radio hardly ever talks about hockey, hardly ever talks about any Candian sports franchises, and talks a TON about College Football and Basketball. Good luck getting listeners for that. Just ask the FAN 590.

"Playoff Game Night", I don't even know what that is...is it a radio broadcast of playoff hockey? If so, great idea. If it's a simulcast of the TV broadcast, it's doomed to fail.

TSN Radio's single worst mistake is they think they can simulcast TV broadcast calls onto the radio. They're doing it with the CFL. That does not work. TV broadcasters don't describe plays in detail, so the radio listner can't follow it. There is no way that will work well.

If "Playoff Game Night" is the same, it'll draw listeners because it's playoff hockey on the radio, but it'll sound like shit(especially with Pierre McGuire interrupting), and eventually become a failure.

I hope TSN Radio succeeds, it's good for those of us like myself that want to be on the radio one day. But this lineup is terrible. Mike Richards is the only good thing they have right now.

The problem with TSN Radio is it has little to do with an actual business plan from TSN, and alot to do with two guys with alot of power having a gigantic pissing match because they hate each other.

two24four
04-13-2011, 02:01 PM
I agree for the most part.

Getting Mike Richards in the AM was awesome.

Having the Dan Patrick show on from 1-4 in the afternoon's is a bad, bad idea up here, I hope they fix that soon. Like today, he was talking about the NBA, not many people up here today on the day the NHL playoffs start care about the NBA, which is why I went back to the Fan 590 when I heard him talking NBA.

They really need to find someone local to do the 1-4pm time slot.

I heard abit of That's hockey 2day or what ever they are calling it with Kooly, it seemed ok, they had McKenzie on talking about the upcoming playoffs.

I also agree about Cybulski going head to head with the Bobcat, I don't see how that works out.

They have Bryan Hayes hosting a show as well.

two24four
04-15-2011, 03:13 PM
The Bobcat just said that on Monday (April 18th) on his show at 6pm he's going to have Leafs GM Brian Burke, Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo and Jays president Paul Beeston all in studio at the same time.

CayugaPosse
04-16-2011, 03:50 AM
I actually listened to some TSN Radio today for the first time(outside of catching snippets of Mike Richards when I'm awake in time), and holy hell is it a disaster.

I mean this with all the sincerity in the world, because this is 100000% a factual statement. I am 1000% better at their jobs than almost anyone at that radio station. It's not even close.

All the update guys suck shit. They have no idea how to write one, they do a terrible job telling the story. I counted three seperate updates that failed to include the score of 2 different games. There were 3 times that the update guy threw to a clip that didn't play because the op hadn't turned up their Burli(or newsroom) channel on the audio board. There was an instance during one of the shows where someone(can't remember which host) threw to a clip from an interview that hadn't been cued and the entire segment started over from scratch. The lineups for their updates are absolutely hideous, for a radio station in Toronto, and with the good will extended towards the Jays right now, they've buried them in every one of their updates I've heard because the same people who made TSN Radio just to get into a pissing contest with Keith Pelly won't give the Jays any attention, which is a gigantic mistake and makes them sound like idiots.

I have a real, real big feeling that TSN Radio is going to go the way of the Dodo bird within a year. They really have no idea what they're doing.

Not to mention alot of the people they got to do some of the jobs are beyond horrible. Garreth Wheeler? Decent at what he does...but radio updates? Holy hell he's terrible.

I don't think everyone at the FAN 590 are superstars, but I'll be damned if TSN doesn't make them look like it.

two24four
04-16-2011, 10:13 AM
Yeah I have tried to give TSN radio a few chances this week, only to find myself back to the Fan 590 pretty fast.

b_illin
04-16-2011, 12:53 PM
I don't listen to sports radio, but maybe give them a week or two to work out the kinks, etc.

CayugaPosse
04-17-2011, 01:35 AM
I don't listen to sports radio, but maybe give them a week or two to work out the kinks, etc.

I'm a student with one and a half years of school behind me, whom, before that schooling, had literally never seen the inside of a radio studio, nevermind the control boards, operating systems, etc etc.

If I started a radio station tomorrow, out of my school, with my classmates, we wouldn't have those kinks.

This is goddamn TSN, the biggest name in sports in this country by a mile. They should have people who have done, and know how to do this shit for decades.

Instead, they hired dirt cheap nobodies to do behind the scenes, because once again, the biggest flaw, and why TSN Radio is doomed, their heart's not in it. This is all because Keith Pelley was the president of TSN, and he left for Rogers. He's also an asshole. So the people who were underneath him at TSN, who no doubt knowing what he's like, got absolutely shit on at every turn, want to destroy him, and so they've made this shitty radio station to try and drive him out of business.

In the end it'll be a big waste of money, and it'll go away.

Side note, one of the most alarming things about this industry once you step foot inside it, is how many people who have high profile positions either on air, or as higher ups behind the scenes, are gigantic, colossal, monumental douche bags. It's beyond rediculous, I've met a few prominent on air personalities who you can't even imagine the level of arrogance, who are just the biggest fucking pricks you'd ever meet in your life.

Doctego
04-17-2011, 05:56 AM
Side note, one of the most alarming things about this industry once you step foot inside it, is how many people who have high profile positions either on air, or as higher ups behind the scenes, are gigantic, colossal, monumental douche bags. It's beyond rediculous, I've met a few prominent on air personalities who you can't even imagine the level of arrogance, who are just the biggest fucking pricks you'd ever meet in your life.

I don't know if it's a Canada thing, you have unrealistic expectations, or you attract assholes but I have met multiple on-air radio personalities from the biggest and longest-tenured sports talk radio station in this country (and maybe the world but I have no idea) and they have all been great except for 1 pompous douche. You can tell he's a prick on his show so that was no surprise, either. I was just meeting these people but you can usually tell if someone is an asshole immediately.

two24four
04-17-2011, 10:34 AM
One person I met last year in Oshawa at a Gens game was Kypreos, alot of people say he's full of himself blah, blah blah, but he seemed like an ok dude, at least on this night, he was with Steve 'Stumpy' Thomas and they where taking the time to talk to anyone who wanted too that night, they could have just as easy sild into a press box to get away from it, but they did not.

CayugaPosse
04-17-2011, 10:01 PM
Don't get me wrong, there are fair number of cool people in the industry too, but these are just a few of the people from either on air or print here in Canada that I've met since I stepped foot inside the industry that are complete assholes, and I'll start with by far the biggest of them all.

Gino Reda - I'm not going to get too specific here, but I think the #1 telltale sign you're a fucking asshole is how you treat people that are beneath you. I've never worked under him specifically, but I have met him, and seen the way he treats interns or people underneath him, and I can't fathom how someone gets to be that big a dickhead.

Then almost to a man the print media are douche bags...Steve Simmons is an ass, Damien Cox is a colossal asshole...

There are others, I'm not going to make a complete chart of them, but it really is astonishing to me.

That said, some guys you'd almost expect to be difficult, or douchey in some way, are some of the nicest people on earth. He'd hate it to be known because it throws off his whole image, but Bob McCowan is a great guy.

Anyway my whole point in that little mini rant is, it's amazing to me once you understand this business, that anyone would ever act like that to another person, because that person may be your boss, or the person you need to hire you, 10 years later. There are many stories of people who were dickheads, and then an intern they treated like shit flew by them and took a shit on them on the way up. Keith Pelley was one, he got treated like shit by a few TSN people, and then eventually became the President of TSN and fucked those people over.

And that's what this entire TSN Radio is, Keith Pelley left TSN, and now the people who were under him who didn't like him, want to combat him, and hence TSN Radio was born.

two24four
04-17-2011, 11:08 PM
Nice to see Norm Rumack back on the Fan on weekends.

keyboard
04-18-2011, 10:50 AM
Don't get me wrong, there are fair number of cool people in the industry too, but these are just a few of the people from either on air or print here in Canada that I've met since I stepped foot inside the industry that are complete assholes, and I'll start with by far the biggest of them all.

Gino Reda - I'm not going to get too specific here, but I think the #1 telltale sign you're a fucking asshole is how you treat people that are beneath you. I've never worked under him specifically, but I have met him, and seen the way he treats interns or people underneath him, and I can't fathom how someone gets to be that big a dickhead.

Then almost to a man the print media are douche bags...Steve Simmons is an ass, Damien Cox is a colossal asshole...

There are others, I'm not going to make a complete chart of them, but it really is astonishing to me.

That said, some guys you'd almost expect to be difficult, or douchey in some way, are some of the nicest people on earth. He'd hate it to be known because it throws off his whole image, but Bob McCowan is a great guy.

Anyway my whole point in that little mini rant is, it's amazing to me once you understand this business, that anyone would ever act like that to another person, because that person may be your boss, or the person you need to hire you, 10 years later. There are many stories of people who were dickheads, and then an intern they treated like shit flew by them and took a shit on them on the way up. Keith Pelley was one, he got treated like shit by a few TSN people, and then eventually became the President of TSN and fucked those people over.

And that's what this entire TSN Radio is, Keith Pelley left TSN, and now the people who were under him who didn't like him, want to combat him, and hence TSN Radio was born.My buddy is friends with a few on-air television personalities from TSN and yeah, just the biggest douche nozzles you'll ever meet.

phaneuf6
04-18-2011, 11:42 AM
Whenever I've met Gino Reda he's been a nice guy.. maybe it's his work personality, but I went to school with his son and never had a 'bad' experience.

two24four
04-18-2011, 01:25 PM
The Bobcat just said that on Monday (April 18th) on his show at 6pm he's going to have Leafs GM Brian Burke, Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo and Jays president Paul Beeston all in studio at the same time.

^ This is tonight for anyone that cares.

b_illin
06-02-2011, 01:20 PM
Heard a ways back that Cabbie was headed to TSN and today it is confirmed. (what I had heard was that he had a non-compete or something like that for Sportsnet/TSN so the Marilyn Dennis Show, owned by CTV who also own TSN, was something for him to do until that non-compete clause was over. I wouldn't be surprised if he sticks with Marilyn Dennis as apparently he is a big hit...I love Cabbie...happy for him!)

On a side note, The Score is shit now....pure shit. How stupid is the Tim/Sid animated show? I'd watch that segment if it was the two of them on camera, but the cartoon aspect is so stupid that I usually pass. It's a shame because the old Score was awesome....now it's all about wrestling and MMA as we all know...I resisted jumping ship in hopes they'd get their act together, but I can only watch so much of Glenn Schiller and Cam Stewart in studio before I have to change the channel!

two24four
06-02-2011, 02:43 PM
TSN now has Cabbie, Kouleas and Cybulski who all where at the Score not that long ago. They even have Ludzik on from time to time on a few shows.

I don't even turn the Score on much at all anymore, I don't watch WWE and if I want to watch any of the MMA shows Sportsnet is the place for that IMO with showdown Joe. They show alot of horse racing on the Score as well. I will tune in when they show college football, but TSN seems to have more of that as well, if not all if it now, I'm not 100% sure.

secol
06-03-2011, 06:45 PM
http://watch.tsn.ca/featured/clip478978

cabbie + bautista lol

two24four
06-27-2011, 06:27 PM
Sounds like Pierre McGuire has left TSN to join VERSUS/NBC full time.

WIS
07-01-2011, 01:53 PM
He's doing the UFA coverage on TSN2 today.

CayugaPosse
07-05-2011, 11:30 AM
It's a shame Cabbie went to TSN, I'm already bored of him there.

Am I the only one that thinks he's way more boring over there so far?

MrScientist
07-05-2011, 12:20 PM
http://torontosportsmedia.com/sports-and-toronto/rogers-sportsnet-lands-jeff-marek/10892

Jeff Marek heading to Sportsnet

two24four
07-05-2011, 12:34 PM
That's a great add by Sportsnet/590. I had a feeling when he said he was done at CBC last week that he was going to one of TSN or Sportsnet.

Wonder who CBC get's to replace him.

two24four
07-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Marek just posted on twitter that he's now signed on with Sportsnet and he will be on Primetime sports at 5:40.

b_illin
07-11-2011, 10:37 PM
Vote for Elli!

http://www.drafted.ca/finalists/elli-paras/

(http://vimeo.com/24359991)

b_illin
07-11-2011, 10:37 PM
elli for score on Vimeo (but be sure to click on the other link and vote!)

keyboard
07-12-2011, 08:37 AM
The last time they had a girl she knew absolutely nothing about sports. It was really embarrassing to watch.

b_illin
07-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Whoever wins Drafted doesn't seem to get much important air time anyway, so vote for Elli...she's hot, cool and would be super sexy on The Score if she got a shot. (she might not be the sportiest, but she has the personality)

two24four
07-14-2011, 03:34 PM
Sounds like Pierre LeBrun has joined TSN. That means they will have McKenzie, Dreger and LeBrun as insiders.

CBC is going to need to find some new people for both Marek and LeBrun.

CayugaPosse
07-14-2011, 04:59 PM
Not surprising. CBC's going to continue to lose like this every time. As much as CBC Hockey Night in Canada may be an institution in Canada, bottom line is money talks. TSN and Sportsnet absolutely dwarf CBC in what they can pay these people.

WIS
07-14-2011, 06:20 PM

Sounds like Pierre LeBrun has joined TSN. That means they will have McKenzie, Dreger and LeBrun as insiders.

CBC is going to need to find some new people for both Marek and LeBrun.

:lol::lol: sorry it's funny.

two24four
09-16-2011, 10:03 AM
Gord Stellick has left Sportsnet fan 590 to join CBC.

canuckthug
09-16-2011, 06:12 PM
Gord Stellick has left Sportsnet fan 590 to join CBC.

cool.. Gord Stellick knows hockey.. CBC needs more of these types of guys to neutralize the Mike Milbury effect.

&

TSN will broadcast more than 60 regional Jets games. pretty cool!
TSN also announced the network has opened a permanent TSN bureau in Winnipeg to cover all major sporting news coming out of Manitoba.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=374860:

b_illin
09-22-2011, 02:27 PM
Wow, The Score is a fast sinking ship! They lose Cabbie. The XM/Sirius channel is no more. Now I hear Tim & Sid are likely headed 590. Wow. (and they somehow think someone will pay $200mm for their POS company that posted just $7.6mm EBITDA last year...hahahaha)

two24four
09-22-2011, 03:03 PM
If Tim and Sid head to the Fan 590 that will put it so far ahead of TSN radio it's not even funny. They are the only good things left at the Score.

two24four
09-22-2011, 05:28 PM
James Mirtle twitter.

Hockey Night in Canada adds Gord Stellick, Andi Petrillo, David Amber, Daryl Reaugh and Rick Ball to its group of broadcasters

CayugaPosse
09-29-2011, 06:03 AM
Tim and Sid were far from the only good things about our network.

All of our content associates and editors do an amazing job nightly.

If you don't believe me, tell me our AL and NL Wildcard packs tonight aren't the best of any networks. I cut the AL pack so I'm probably biased, but I say this without seeing TSN or Sportsnet, there's no way they captured the feel of last night as well as we did.

snoopzen
09-29-2011, 06:06 AM
I believe that you did a terrific job, but

so I'm probably biased
:yesyes::yesyes::yesyes:

Hey, I would be too.

phaneuf6
09-29-2011, 08:09 AM
Tim and Sid were far from the only good things about our network.

All of our content associates and editors do an amazing job nightly.

If you don't believe me, tell me our AL and NL Wildcard packs tonight aren't the best of any networks. I cut the AL pack so I'm probably biased, but I say this without seeing TSN or Sportsnet, there's no way they captured the feel of last night as well as we did.

That's probably true but nobody watches anymore so it doesn't really matter. No one will know.

two24four
09-29-2011, 09:24 AM
That's probably true but nobody watches anymore so it doesn't really matter. No one will know.

This is true, not trying to be a dick or anything, I'm sure you and everyone who still work there work really, really hard, but most people just don't watch the Score anymore.

Brunt has left the Globe to work full time at Sportsnet.

two24four
10-02-2011, 09:08 AM
Must say I like what Hockey Night In Canada is doing, having David Amber as host at games, Elliotte Friedman hosting the i-desk, and it looks like Andi Petrillo and PJ Stock will be hosting a new show an hour or so before every Saturday night game called Game On.

canuckthug
10-31-2011, 05:01 PM
If Tim and Sid head to the Fan 590 that will put it so far ahead of TSN radio it's not even funny. They are the only good things left at the Score.

Red Heat aka Cam Stewart is awsome on the score.. entertaining plus has good input/advice. best guy out there. Greg Sansone has solid sports knowledge as well. I dont really watch reality tv but Drafted is a good show and provides "students/ future journalists" with a behind the scenes/inside look at the industry.

Again, this is not true. The Score first of all has the best ticker of any channel by far. They also dont fuck around when the clock strikes at the top of the hour or half hour. No bullshit intros, just bring highlights. Both TSN and Sportsnet have tried to copy the score ticker over the years and have been stealing most of their talent as well. PLUS the Score APP is easily the best. The MMA guy knows his stuff and im probably in the minority but I dig Renne Pequette (spelling)!

Yes I get the drop-off though, eventually losing talent to rival networks is irreplaceable ( Elliot Friedman, , Kouleas, Cabbie, Martine, etc. etc to name a few.. ) but they still do what they do the best (tell the score and thats what i want). Gerry D is hit or miss. Lately its been miss but hes getting bigger (just seen him on some comedy show).

This is true, not trying to be a dick or anything, I'm sure you and everyone who still work there work really, really hard, but most people just don't watch the Score anymore.

Brunt has left the Globe to work full time at Sportsnet.

The NBA lockout really hurts the score. They were pretty hardcore about NBA. They showed tons of Raps games plus a bunch of out-of market games.. Court surfing was also a big show for them.

Last but not least, who doesnt love Wrestling!! :lol: (but they do cater well to those fans).

canuckthug
10-31-2011, 05:17 PM
sorry but anyone think Evanka Osmak looks like the girl from How to train your Dragon!

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100424083924/howtotrainyourdragon/images/thumb/d/dd/Astrid_Hofferson.png/228px-Astrid_Hofferson.png

two24four
10-31-2011, 05:41 PM
It still sucks now IMO.

Cam is good I agree, but he was better with Gabe, they where awesome together.

Gerry Dee has his own show coming out on CBC in January called Mr. D.