PDA

View Full Version : Green Bay Packers

King_Killah
02-28-2008, 06:52 PM
GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP)—Brett Favre (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/1025/;_ylt=Amz3d0GBErnQokI5hkjWqBQdsLYF)’s retirement lore is becoming almost as popular as his on-the-field heroics.

On Thursday, the Packers’ official Web site briefly reported he was retiring, but the page under the breaking news section was live for only a few minutes.

“There’s nothing to it,” Packers spokesman Jeff Blumb told The Associated Press. “People who handle our Web site had set up a dummy page in the event he was to retire. They were asked to take down that page.”

A call by The AP to Favre’s agent, Bus Cook, was not immediately returned.
Cook told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that Favre, in his annual rite of winter, had not made up his mind whether to return for his 18th season. The three-time MVP’s decision one way or the other is not expected this week.
Several Internet sites have screen captures of the page that show Favre’s picture with a caption saying, “Packers quarterback Brett Favre has announced that he will retire.”

The page also had a blank area to enter the story’s text and details on general manager Ted Thompson holding a “brief press conference” to talk about the announcement.

This is not the first time a team put major news on its Web site, and then promptly removed it.

On Oct. 23, 1999, the news that Don Baylor had been hired as Cubs manager appeared on the team’s Web site, and was subsequently removed within hours. The team denied the story, but on Nov. 1, Baylor was hired.

Will he or won't he? When will he? Will he ever? I say, don't even think about it or worry about it or wonder about it until you actually hear him say it. All this speculation year after year after year.

walker42500
02-29-2008, 02:18 AM
He'll be back. I really doubt he's gonna go out throwing a pick and losing the NFC Championship game.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-29-2008, 03:00 AM
yeah I give him another year or two for sure. He had too much success and got too close last year to just bail out b/c his bowflex isn't working anymore. Had the team been in the dumps and out of playoff contention then yeah sure maybe.. but I agree, no way he goes out like that in the championship game, right?

nyihater4life
02-29-2008, 10:26 PM
ESPN already annouced he would be back...

King_Killah
03-09-2008, 12:55 AM
GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP)—Aaron Rodgers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7200/;_ylt=AoUokn_XPygG3F.khYTX13YdsLYF) has a message for Green Bay Packers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/gnb/;_ylt=Ap8qmVycp.ewnaGwyHItmRYdsLYF) fans.
“I’m not Brett Favre (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/1025/;_ylt=AgXbvfn5H7RDAAQT4XryVl8dsLYF),” he said Saturday. “And if they’re wanting me to be the next Brett Favre, I’m not going to be him. I’m Aaron Rodgers. That’s who I am.”
After spending three years running the scout team and watching game film during the week—only to spend Sundays wearing a headset and toting a clipboard — Rodgers’ turn finally arrived when Favre retired.
“I’m going to be the best quarterback I can be,” said Rodgers, who was in Green Bay for the Packers’ annual fan fest. “He did it his way, I’m going to do it my way. And hopefully, I can be successful.”

Good for Rodgers. If anyone is expecting him to be Favre II they are nuts. However, that said, Rodgers has the ability to make it happen. It was shitty that he, for some reason, fell waaay lower in the draft than he should have. Even shittier that the team who drafts him has the iron man quarterback. But, I think he learned a great deal being behind Favre. He played well in the games that he did come in. It'll be interesting to see how he starts the season.

walker42500
03-09-2008, 01:28 AM
Hopefully Favre didn't teach him anything about fundamentals lol

King_Killah
07-08-2008, 03:58 PM
Packer news that isn't about Favre!

Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy couldn't figure out why anyone would question his pick of wide receiver Jordy Nelson (http://www.footballguys.com/NelsJo00-1.php) in the second round. He got his man. McCarthy admits he has a thing for big receivers. Nelson, at 6 feet 3 and 220 pounds, is a perfect fit for McCarthy's system. "Football has become a big man's game," McCarthy says, "And it's become a big man's game at that position. In our situation, with the conditions we play under late in the year, it's a game of possession, and you need big targets who can be physical under tough conditions. We felt he could be one of those guys."

I like Jordy Nelson and think he could actually be very productive. He's big and has great hands. Great ball control, won't fumble it...and usually if it touches him its caught. I think he can help out the Packers offense a lot. 11 TDs and 1600 yards in his final year at Kansas State.

walker42500
07-08-2008, 04:12 PM

I like Jordy Nelson and think he could actually be very productive. He's big and has great hands. Great ball control, won't fumble it...and usually if it touches him its caught. I think he can help out the Packers offense a lot. 11 TDs and 1600 yards in his final year at Kansas State.

The Packers' depth at WR is unreal.

dw13
07-08-2008, 06:15 PM

I'll never underestimate him as a reciever after watching him absolutely blow by Talib when they played Kansas.

King_Killah
07-17-2008, 10:49 AM
More non-Favre Packer news...

The agent for Green Bay Packer RB Ryan Grant (http://www.footballguys.com/GranRy00-1.php) says his client will not sign the minimum second year player tender that would pay Grant $370,000 for the upcoming season. Grant and the Packers have been in negotiations this offseason on a new long term deal for the breakout RB. Grant does not plan to report to training camp until a deal gets done.

This is the one thing I hate about the NFL. The players need to shut the f*ck up, and show up. Yes Ryan Grant played very well last year. Yes he should be paid more than $370k. But not showing up to camp hurts more than it helps getting a bigger check. This is why athletes pay agents. The athletes should do their job by showing up to camp, team functions, etc. and let their agents do their job in getting the contracts worked out.

FlyGuy78
07-17-2008, 11:04 AM
one good year does NOT guarantee you a raise, or atleast it shouldn't.

dw13
07-17-2008, 12:10 PM
More non-Favre Packer news...

This is the one thing I hate about the NFL. The players need to shut the f*ck up, and show up. Yes Ryan Grant played very well last year. Yes he should be paid more than $370k. But not showing up to camp hurts more than it helps getting a bigger check. This is why athletes pay agents. The athletes should do their job by showing up to camp, team functions, etc. and let their agents do their job in getting the contracts worked out.

Agreed.

My only question is... Ryan Grant was so bad at ND, how did he pop into the league and be good? :lol:

King_Killah
07-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Agreed.

My only question is... Ryan Grant was so bad at ND, how did he pop into the league and be good? :lol:

To be fair.... He did split time with Julius Jones....then he got hurt in his senior year with a hamstring injury.

But yeah... Basically going undrafted by the Giants to being traded to Green Bay. All of the sudden there he is.

dw13
07-17-2008, 02:27 PM
To be fair.... He did split time with Julius Jones....then he got hurt in his senior year with a hamstring injury.

But yeah... Basically going undrafted by the Giants to being traded to Green Bay. All of the sudden there he is.

Do you remember watching the dude at ND? He was awful

Plus Jones was younger and beat him out.

King_Killah
07-17-2008, 02:47 PM
Do you remember watching the dude at ND? He was awful

Plus Jones was younger and beat him out.

I saw a few games. I wouldn't say awful. After Lou Holtz left, the program went to the shitter as a whole. Weis has potential to bring it back.

I do remember that his sophomore year he ran for 1000 yards and being the 7th player ever in Notre Dame history to top 1000 yards. I know he had over 2000 total rushing yards his entire time at Notre Dame, something only 12 or so backs have done in Notre Dame's existence.

As far as Julius Jones goes. He is the better back, I am not surprised he beat out Grant. Oh and Julius Jones is not younger than Ryan Grant. Jones was born in '81 and Grant was born in '82.

dw13
07-17-2008, 03:07 PM
I saw a few games. I wouldn't say awful. After Lou Holtz left, the program went to the shitter as a whole. Weis has potential to bring it back.

I do remember that his sophomore year he ran for 1000 yards and being the 7th player ever in Notre Dame history to top 1000 yards. I know he had over 2000 total rushing yards his entire time at Notre Dame, something only 12 or so backs have done in Notre Dame's existence.

As far as Julius Jones goes. He is the better back, I am not surprised he beat out Grant. Oh and Julius Jones is not younger than Ryan Grant. Jones was born in '81 and Grant was born in '82.

Yeah idk why I thought he was younger, I think Grants senior year he was a captain and had that injury so he was forced to split with Darius Walker.

I don't see Weis bringing that program back but its possible I suppose.

King_Killah
07-17-2008, 03:18 PM
Yeah idk why I thought he was younger, I think Grants senior year he was a captain and had that injury so he was forced to split with Darius Walker.

I don't see Weis bringing that program back but its possible I suppose.

Yeah, yeah...

...and Weis has a better shot at turning the program around than Bob Davie and Ty Willingham/Kent Baer did.

dw13
07-17-2008, 03:19 PM
Yeah, yeah...

...and Weis has a better shot at turning the program around than Bob Davie and Ty Willingham/Kent Baer did.

True that. I've just been sketchy on his recruiting.

dw13
07-17-2008, 03:26 PM
I meant to add that Cierre Wood will be a stud when he comes in.

King_Killah
07-18-2008, 02:43 PM
The Green Bay Packers are governed by a board of directors, but the seven-member Executive Committee, which includes Mark Murphy, president and CEO of the team, is highly influential in terms of the direction of the franchise.
To that end, the committee has a regularly scheduled meeting on Friday at Lambeau Field. The committee doesn't advertise its agenda, but it's safe to say the Brett Favre (http://www.footballguys.com/FavrBr00-1.php) saga will be at the top of the list

What makes it even better is that Favre will be at Lambeau this weekend for the Hall of Fame ceremonies when he is a presenter for Frank Winters.

King_Killah
07-31-2008, 04:00 PM
"It's insulting," said Packer RB Ryan Grant (http://www.footballguys.com/GranRy00-1.php)'s agent Alan Herman of the offer he received from negotiator Russ Ball Saturday at 5:15 p.m. "Ryan Grant (http://www.footballguys.com/GranRy00-1.php) gave them a running game last year. They know what he can do."
Herman said the most insulting part of the offer was the $1.75 million signing bonus the Packers offered on a six-year contract extension. Herman said that was almost half of the $3 million linebacker Brady Poppinga received on his four-year extension that was signed last week.

According to Herman, Grant's earnings in 2008 would be just over $2 million.

He said the Packers' offer paled in comparison to what he said was a four-year, $40 million deal the Chicago Bears gave returner Devin Hester (http://www.footballguys.com/HestDe00-1.php), who like Grant has two years left before becoming a free agent. Hester, he said, received $10 million in guaranteed money despite never having proved himself as a wide receiver.

"I can't believe after 5 1/2 months, after the Packers said to us that this was a unique situation, that the Packers take care of their own, that we would get in a situation as unreasonable as this," Herman said. "I've never seen anything like that in my 24 years in the business."

Asked how Grant felt about the offer, Herman said, "He was as mad as I've ever heard him. He's really angry."

General manager Ted Thompson said Sunday he wasn't giving up on a deal being reached.

"I think it's a unique thing and kind of complicated," Thompson said. "We're trying to work our way through this. I'm not good at predicting those things (when a deal might be reached). There's dialogue."

First of all.... Devin Hester's 4 year/$40mil is ridiculous... Perhaps if he was a solid WR, but $40 million for a returner is absurd.

Sorry all you Grant owners... Not looking good. You should start to move Brandon Jackson up on your lists. Ted Thompson isn't looking too good these days. The Favre issue, now the Grant issue. How strong does Green Bay look now??? Aaron Rodgers handing off to Brandon Jackson. I'd prefer Favre and Grant.

King_Killah
08-01-2008, 10:36 AM
Quarterback Aaron Rodgers (http://www.footballguys.com/RodgAa00-1.php) threw his second interception of camp and forced numerous balls into double coverage during a practice emphasizing third-down situations. But coach Mike McCarthy said his starting quarterback �had a solid day� against a defense that at this point is ahead of the offense.

This is a nonsense comment to me from McCarthy who is trying to bury the Favre issues. Interception, forced balls into double coverage does not equal a solid day.

King_Killah
08-01-2008, 11:21 AM
Grant's starting job is secure but backup Brandon Jackson (http://www.footballguys.com/JackBr00-1.php) is more than keeping it warm, and with every carry he has received in training camp he has made a case for getting the ball. When Grant returns, Jackson might be entrenched far enough that the two will share the starting position.
"As far as everything we thought this kid was capable of being and doing, we're starting to see more of that," running backs coach Edgar Bennett said. "We saw that last year, but now you're seeing it more on a consistent basis. The sky's the limit for him. I'm not going to say it just to say it. I mean it." What happens to Jackson will depend some on when Grant arrives and how quickly he can assimilate himself back into the offense. The one thing going for Grant is that he had a half-season as a starter and developed a good feel for what the Packers try to get done in the running game.

Good news for Jackson owners, not so for Grant owners. This is what happens when these guys don't hold up their end of their jobs and sit out.

Dubz
08-03-2008, 07:38 AM
Grant signs

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d809acbdc&template=with-video&confirm=true

King_Killah
08-20-2008, 01:17 PM
Grant confident he'll be ready for week 1.

RB Ryan Grant (http://www.footballguys.com/GranRy00-1.php) is confident that he'll be ready for the team's home opener in three weeks against the Vikings. Grant strained his hamstring, but said he's even prepared to play in a preseason game if necessary. If it were a regular season game, he says he'd definitely be on the field. "I didn't even pull it," Grant said. "It's just a little strain." Grant was in pads and working out Monday. LB A.J. Hawk, however, might not be able to go in Week 1 with what's been diagnosed as a chest sprain. He is uncertain of his return mainly due to the nature of the injury. "It's in an area of my chest," Hawk said. "It's new to me because I've never done anything like that before. The doctor is telling me to rest it now."

Since Grant signed the new deal, the team is eager for him to get on the field and start earning that money.

King_Killah
08-27-2008, 01:44 PM
Green Bay Packers wide receiver James Jones (http://www.footballguys.com/JoneJa04-1.php)' sprained knee is apparently worse than previously thought, with Jones in danger of not playing in the team's regular season opener.

If Jones can't go watch for Ruvell Martin and Jordy Nelson to step in and step up!

King_Killah
09-03-2008, 03:07 PM
The Green Bay Packers were without several players at practice this morning. C Scott Wells (lower back muscle) was not at practice after taking part on Monday. RB Ryan Grant (http://www.footballguys.com/GranRy00-1.php) (hamstring), S Charlie Peprah (hamstring), LB A.J. Hawk (chest), LB Tracy White (ankle), OG Josh Sitton (knee), WR James Jones (http://www.footballguys.com/JoneJa04-1.php) (knee), DE Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (knee) and DE Jeremy Thompson (groin) all did not participate. OT Chad Clifton was in for walkthroughs and then left for treatment. S Atari Bigby (ankle) and CB Charles Woodson (knee) were back and participating.

Some notable names on this list. I think for sure that Grant will be out there Sunday, but it would have been nice if he was out there today.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
09-14-2008, 03:46 PM
Brett Who???

Dubz
09-14-2008, 07:05 PM
Brett Who???

The Mentor?? I dont know about this week but last week I actually seen some of Favre in this kid...kinda weird. Maybe it was just the uniform.:freak:

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
09-14-2008, 07:19 PM
The Mentor?? I dont know about this week but last week I actually seen some of Favre in this kid...kinda weird. Maybe it was just the uniform.:freak:

no way... I see it too.....

King_Killah
09-17-2008, 03:21 PM
no way... I see it too.....

Well when you sit on the bench exclusively behind Favre, you pick a few things up here and there...

The kid is good... and is going to be great. He should have never fallen all the way down to Green Bay to begin with, but for him and for Green Bay it was probably best for his career that he did.

King_Killah
07-28-2009, 08:38 PM
Jason Wilde, of the Wisconsin State Journal, reports that Packers head coach Mike McCarthy "cautioned not to count out Kregg Lumpkin (http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/LumpKr00-1.php)" in a discussion of the running backs on the team.

Kregg Lumpkin. Kregg Mother F*ckin' Lumpkin. Highly pursued outta high school. Time at Georgia. If Ryan Grant doesn't bounce back this year, the Packers have some talent behind him on the depth chart...but Kregg God Damn Lumpkin. Hahaha... That name.

King_Killah
04-22-2010, 08:51 PM
Bryan Bulaga. This kid should have went waaaaaaay sooner. He should have ended up in KC. Good pick.

dw13
04-22-2010, 08:54 PM
Bryan Bulaga. This kid should have went waaaaaaay sooner. He should have ended up in KC. Good pick.

Disagree.

Never rated him that highly. This was the exact spot he was going a month or two ago.

Spartan
04-22-2010, 11:29 PM
Easy pick for GB the money at that spot works for a left or right tackle. Bulaga is at least a right with left upside. He will fit well in Green Bay.

King_Killah
04-23-2010, 06:54 PM
Mike Neal.

two24four
09-20-2010, 11:59 AM
Clay Matthews is a beast right now, 6 sacks in two games, 3 in each of the 1st two games, he had 10 sacks all of last season.

dw13
09-20-2010, 12:04 PM
Clay Matthews is a beast right now, 6 sacks in two games, 3 in each of the 1st two games, he had 10 sacks all of last season.

10 sacks his rookie year was beast mode as well. His engine is always running.

Great player.

two24four
09-20-2010, 12:11 PM
10 sacks his rookie year was beast mode as well. His engine is always running.

Great player.

Oh I know, I'm saying he's more then half way to last years total already in just two games, that's crazy.

eff1ngham
10-13-2010, 12:07 PM
Sounds like Jermichael Finley is out for the year. Ouch

b_illin
10-13-2010, 03:27 PM
awesome :(

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
10-13-2010, 04:29 PM
Damn I had Packers in the Sb this year, they sure are getting pounded with injuries though.

Hockeyis#1
10-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Damn I had Packers in the Sb this year, they sure are getting pounded with injuries though.And inefficiency....although I guess that one's more their own fault...

King_Killah
04-28-2011, 10:37 PM
Day one concludes with Derek Sherrod. Good pick.

zhmen
07-25-2011, 07:28 PM
Damn I had Packers in the Sb this year, they sure are getting pounded with injuries though.
good pick :D

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
07-26-2011, 02:36 AM
good pick :D

yeah I am having a pretty good year with picks, sports, dead celebs, but fuck me I thought the Pack were gonna lose! :$