PDA

View Full Version : Metropolitan Division Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
01-30-2008, 05:54 AM
Not as many of us around.. and we aren't an original six team but we've got some storied history, and I know a lot of folks around here follow Crosby Staal Malkin and the Pens, so I think we deserve a thread too!

Cold Hard Facts

Recchi, Gone
Roberts, Out
Eaton, Out
Fleury, Out
Crosby, Out

Army and Kennedy missed last night's game as well. A quarter of the lineup last night were call ups from WBS.. :scared: yet they go into the swamp and come from behind not once but twice to pull a win out of the hat and jump the Devils in the standings. In fact I think that's 4 or 5 consecutive wins against the devils IN NJ, and counting, and despite key injuries all season long the Pens are now just 1 pt back from an improved and impressive Philly team and first place in the Atlantic. :cool:

Now I am in no way getting ahead of myself here.. there's been some tough losses lately and being w/o Crosby - well it's hard to deny the fact that it HURTS. But does anyone think that this team can keep winning and make a legitimate bid for the division and a top seeded playoff spot??

I remain cautiously optimistic... and am loving the way this team is coming together. They just refuse to quit. The division will be real tough, and with how well Philly has been playing, I doubt it happens, but I think even without a division title, if they can slide into the playoffs at any seed, watch out! With a healthy Crosby back in the line up at that point, I think the team should be even better than it has been.

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080130/capt.dd5ce7a10baf4bea93b486346baf5d61.penguins_dev ils_hockey_njrs107.jpg

Go Pens!

Hamsterkill
01-30-2008, 01:02 PM
Kennedy's still fighting mono I believe (he missed the YoungStars game because of it too). Not sure why Army was out though. I think we'll make just as hard a push for the division lead as we did last year, and if we come up short, it won't be by much.

I've been impressed by all the Pens' callups from the Baby Pens this season, they all seem to really want to showcase what they can offer to the big club, which is always a good thing.

I just hope the rest of the team is careful with their high ankles (3 players in one year? :wtf:)

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
01-30-2008, 02:10 PM
Kennedy's still fighting mono I believe (he missed the YoungStars game because of it too). Not sure why Army was out though. I think we'll make just as hard a push for the division lead as we did last year, and if we come up short, it won't be by much.

I've been impressed by all the Pens' callups from the Baby Pens this season, they all seem to really want to showcase what they can offer to the big club, which is always a good thing.

I just hope the rest of the team is careful with their high ankles (3 players in one year? :wtf:)

Oh man, I hope you're right.. I agree the call ups back been impressive! Makes me feel more comfortable with the prospect of trading away somebody like Staal or... god forbid, Malkin. Who is due for a new contract real soon and I heard was saying stuff along the lines of "Ovechkin's numbers looked good" :scared: - Don't quote me on that exact quote though.

um.. high ankle sprains - Fleury/Crosby.... and ?? Is that what is sidelining Eaton? I can't even remember anymore :\

Hamsterkill
01-30-2008, 04:01 PM
Oh man, I hope you're right.. I agree the call ups back been impressive! Makes me feel more comfortable with the prospect of trading away somebody like Staal or... god forbid, Malkin. Who is due for a new contract real soon and I heard was saying stuff along the lines of "Ovechkin's numbers looked good" :scared: - Don't quote me on that exact quote though.

um.. high ankle sprains - Fleury/Crosby.... and ?? Is that what is sidelining Eaton? I can't even remember anymore :\

Talbot was the first. He's back though.

bplax_mooky
01-30-2008, 05:59 PM
They said that Colby was out with the flu. I heard an interesting quote from Nathan Smith (one of our many recent callups). He was just saying how everyone on the Baby Pens is playing balls to the wall knowing that there is a very good chance they will be called up with all of the big clubs injuries. That's what I love about these younger guys playing for us, their job is on the line so they are giving 110% every shift. Effort impresses me just as much as skill, if not more.

How about Christensen's goal last night? To so naturally pull off that move is ridiculous. If only he could develope some consistency. I've been saying this the past few season... I wish they would give him some consistent time on the wing with either Cros or Malkin and see if he can start netting some goals.

What line do you guys think Beech will end up playing on?

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
01-31-2008, 05:05 AM
They said that Colby was out with the flu. I heard an interesting quote from Nathan Smith (one of our many recent callups). He was just saying how everyone on the Baby Pens is playing balls to the wall knowing that there is a very good chance they will be called up with all of the big clubs injuries. That's what I love about these younger guys playing for us, their job is on the line so they are giving 110% every shift. Effort impresses me just as much as skill, if not more.

How about Christensen's goal last night? To so naturally pull off that move is ridiculous. If only he could develope some consistency. I've been saying this the past few season... I wish they would give him some consistent time on the wing with either Cros or Malkin and see if he can start netting some goals.

What line do you guys think Beech will end up playing on?

hopefully the unemployment line! heheh

Honestly though, I don't know.

Patchwork Penguins.. that balls to the wall statement sure bodes well for WBS! heheh.. but I must say... I'm glad I missed the game last night against Atlanta.. 4-1? Ouch :\

Was it as bad as it sounds?

Are you guys anticipating any big trades b4 the deadline?

Hamsterkill
01-31-2008, 01:33 PM
hopefully the unemployment line! heheh

Honestly though, I don't know.

Patchwork Penguins.. that balls to the wall statement sure bodes well for WBS! heheh.. but I must say... I'm glad I missed the game last night against Atlanta.. 4-1? Ouch :\

Was it as bad as it sounds?

Are you guys anticipating any big trades b4 the deadline?

I caught a bit of last night's game... the Pens didn't look bad, really, just Atlanta was playing very well.

Hamsterkill
01-31-2008, 03:07 PM
So I just realized that the Pens have Orpik playing wing the last 2 games... now you KNOW they have a lot of injuries...

Kaboominator
01-31-2008, 03:18 PM
Lol, i noticed that last night watching game. That is getting rough! Malkin needs to throw the whole team on his back and show he can do it!

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-01-2008, 03:26 AM
So I just realized that the Pens have Orpik playing wing the last 2 games... now you KNOW they have a lot of injuries...

LW to be exact. And seriously, what the fuck!

"We don't expect the perfect game out of him."

WHY THE FUCK NOT!?

:lol:

:(

:scared:

King_Killah
02-02-2008, 12:43 AM
Not as many of us around.. and we aren't an original six team but we've got some storied history, and I know a lot of folks around here follow Crosby Staal Malkin and the Pens, so I think we deserve a thread too!

Cold Hard Facts

Recchi, Gone
Roberts, Out
Eaton, Out
Fleury, Out
Crosby, Out

Army and Kennedy missed last night's game as well. A quarter of the lineup last night were call ups from WBS.. :scared: yet they go into the swamp and come from behind not once but twice to pull a win out of the hat and jump the Devils in the standings. In fact I think that's 4 or 5 consecutive wins against the devils IN NJ, and counting, and despite key injuries all season long the Pens are now just 1 pt back from an improved and impressive Philly team and first place in the Atlantic. :cool:

Just being nitpicky here....... but Eaton - out, who cares really? I mean, he's a body on the ice...but that's about it! Haha... And well, the Devils no longer play "in the swamp" since they got their nice new building in downtown Newark, NJ.

But overall... I don't mind the Pens. I like their game. I like the cross-state rivalry with the Flyers. I hope they can hang on. I think it is a three-way race in the Atlantic with the Devils, Flyers, Penguins until the end. Should be a fun finish.

Hamsterkill
02-02-2008, 01:44 AM
Just being nitpicky here....... but Eaton - out, who cares really? I mean, he's a body on the ice...but that's about it! Haha... And well, the Devils no longer play "in the swamp" since they got their nice new building in downtown Newark, NJ.

But overall... I don't mind the Pens. I like their game. I like the cross-state rivalry with the Flyers. I hope they can hang on. I think it is a three-way race in the Atlantic with the Devils, Flyers, Penguins until the end. Should be a fun finish.

Eaton has actually been a key component on our D. He's played defensively excellent this year on his pairing with Gonchar before the injury, allowing Gonchar more freedom to take risks. Eaton and Gonchar were actually the only two D that were exempt from Therrien's merry-go-round healthy scratch after Letang came up and before Eaton got hurt.

On a side note, I really think Therrien has Orpik on too short a leash. He just hasn't been playing his style to the fullest this year. And now Therrien plugs him on offense? I still hope the Pens resign him for next year, even though that's looking less likely now... He's our only true physical presence on the blue line though. And I'd much rather keep him in Pitt than let him go to the Rangers...

bplax_mooky
02-02-2008, 11:52 AM
Eaton has actually been a key component on our D. He's played defensively excellent this year on his pairing with Gonchar before the injury, allowing Gonchar more freedom to take risks. Eaton and Gonchar were actually the only two D that were exempt from Therrien's merry-go-round healthy scratch after Letang came up and before Eaton got hurt.

On a side note, I really think Therrien has Orpik on too short a leash. He just hasn't been playing his style to the fullest this year. And now Therrien plugs him on offense? I still hope the Pens resign him for next year, even though that's looking less likely now... He's our only true physical presence on the blue line though. And I'd much rather keep him in Pitt than let him go to the Rangers...

Yes, Eaton was a very important part of our defense. He blocks shots like no other.

I agree about Therrien with Orpik. I don't agree with a lot of things that Therrien does. I don't think he's going to be the coach that takes the Pens to the Stanley Cup.

Do you guys agree that Adam Hall is completely useless? I mean he's a decent penalty killer but besides that he contributes nothing. I'd much rather see another young guy in his place.

King_Killah
02-02-2008, 01:28 PM
Guess I am just going by what I saw when he was with the Phantoms and Flyers.... He still has next to no points, but at least he's a plus player. I don't know...being in Pittsburgh with Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Gonchar...I guess I would have expected a little more point production.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-02-2008, 02:18 PM
yeah Eaton allows Gonchar to step up into the play more freely by covering his ass when he does. He is/was an important piece to what many already consider a very suspect Pittsburgh defense.

I was gonna head down to the Sharks/hawks game today but I couldn't find reasonable tickets. $300+ for a pair of uppers. Eff that! But at least I will be able to catch the Pens game since I won't be frolicking around drunk in SJ.

Man I hope the Pens get the win tonight against Ward and the Hurricaines. We need it! Ward has been inconsistent for my fantasy team all season long so I hope the Pens find a way to light him up!

Motorcat - if you are reading this, sorry!! :D

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-02-2008, 10:04 PM
4-1 Pens

wewt!!

Way to step up tonight boys! Overcame a slow start against the Canes. Keeping close pace with the Flyers, still 1pt back. Big win!

E.Christensen had a pretty sick goal, after fending off a cross check between the circles he blasts one past Ward like 3 or 4 seconds later. Staal to Talbot to Christensen, tape to tape from behind the net. Any of you guys see that?

Malkin - $$$

Sykora with G/A - very nice!

Pens with 19 goals in the past 6 games W/O Sid the Kid! Hard to ignore his abscence but damn it is nice to see our offense doesn't have to rest on Sidney's shoulders

gNaRKiLL
02-02-2008, 10:06 PM
The Malkin goal was pretty ill tonight. 1 on 2 + the goalie.

I'm impressed with how we're rolling with the injuries. I'm interested to see how Beech will look. I never hated him, and never have seen him really play with "great" players before. I wonder what he can do?

RJV
02-02-2008, 10:07 PM
Typical, Ward basically implodes towards the end of the game with a lead or a tie. No faith in this guy. Must have some sort of mental defect or something. Pens did play well otherwise

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-02-2008, 10:45 PM
The Malkin goal was pretty ill tonight. 1 on 2 + the goalie.

I'm impressed with how we're rolling with the injuries. I'm interested to see how Beech will look. I never hated him, and never have seen him really play with "great" players before. I wonder what he can do?

mike was hopefully mentioning how Beech's second stint could be a good one b/c he has a real comfort aspect with the Pens. You could see it in practice, all smiles. I dunno. Never been a fan either, hate to admit I am hopeful he can pot a few.

hahah yeah I am with you on that one - Cam Ward is an inconsistent twinkie stuffing bastard

Believe that I wish he weren't

If I didn't draft Emery, I could probably claim Ward as my worst draft pick among 3 different teams this year.

bplax_mooky
02-02-2008, 11:25 PM
I was at the game tonight, great third period... Did anyone that watched the game on tv know why they were hesitant to review Malone's goal at first?

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-02-2008, 11:33 PM
I can't say for sure but I think it was b/c there was no light from the goal judge as well as no indication of a goal from any refs. It was a close call and barely barely squirted passed the line.

Motorcat
02-02-2008, 11:46 PM
If the whistle blows before the goal its not eligible for a review - that was the initial indication.......... then it was corrected and reviewed.

It was never that close - goal all the way.

I was hoping the Hurricanes would get a quick goal in the 3rd and nurse it to the end -:freak:- Congrats Sponge.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Thanks MC! It was a close one up until the 3rd period! I wish the best for your Canes, except when playing my Pens! :cool:

2 back to WBS:

The Penguins returned right winger Jonathan Filewich and defenseman Alain Nasreddine to their farm team in Wilkes-Barre today.

Hamsterkill
02-03-2008, 01:58 PM
Guess that means they're moving Orpik back to D again.

King_Killah
02-04-2008, 12:15 AM
4-1 Pens

wewt!!

Way to step up tonight boys! Overcame a slow start against the Canes. Keeping close pace with the Flyers, still 1pt back. Big win!

E.Christensen had a pretty sick goal, after fending off a cross check between the circles he blasts one past Ward like 3 or 4 seconds later. Staal to Talbot to Christensen, tape to tape from behind the net. Any of you guys see that?

Malkin - $$$

Sykora with G/A - very nice!

Pens with 19 goals in the past 6 games W/O Sid the Kid! Hard to ignore his abscence but damn it is nice to see our offense doesn't have to rest on Sidney's shoulders

That's only 3 goals a game. Not really that impressive.... Oh wait, you added without Sid! :lol:

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Crosby-less Pens vs NJ Devils on Versus Network

Great way for me to NOT get any school work done... argh!

I will predict Malkin Cookies with a couple of points on the night

GO PENS!

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-04-2008, 10:18 PM
oh man, tough loss in OT! Pens had the lead twice and blew it. We had a fight and it was a scrappy game. Gotta give the Devils credit for not giving up. Malkin had 2 assists :cool: But Parise one upped him and had 3 pts I think, good for my fantasy team, bad for my Pens. In this series the home team wins for the first time in 10 games! Orpik was back on D. We now have a 3 way tie for the Atlantic, yikes. :scared:

bplax_mooky
02-05-2008, 06:09 PM
That was an awful loss. They really collapsed.

How about Therrien openly bashing Whitney and saying he was responsible for the loss... I'm doubting Therrien more and more lately.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-05-2008, 07:19 PM
That was an awful loss. They really collapsed.

How about Therrien openly bashing Whitney and saying he was responsible for the loss... I'm doubting Therrien more and more lately.

aghhh I agree. Tough loss. Total team meltdown. Therrien has never been a favorite of mine but I always wondered - who else?

I actually didn't hear about him bashing Whitney - what was said ? :\

bplax_mooky
02-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Rightly or wrongly, Michel Therrien totally threw Ryan Whitney under the bus by saying, "A guy like Ryan Whitney is going to have to be more aggressive around the net. He's not aggressive at all. It cost [us] the game."

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/emptynetters/

I don't really like how he publically bashes players. But then again, it has worked a few times in the past.

Hamsterkill
02-07-2008, 01:59 AM
So I saw that Alex Goligoski was called up to the big club. Anyone think we'll see him back on D while Orpik plays wing again?

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-07-2008, 03:10 AM
So I saw that Alex Goligoski was called up to the big club. Anyone think we'll see him back on D while Orpik plays wing again?

just say no to Orpik on the wing!

They are recalling Goligoski for some practices just to see where he is at as compared to camp, but if he performs well.. or somebody really gets thrown in the coaches dog house (cough cough whitney cough) we might see him in a game or two, but I don't count on it. Therrien was calling for his promotion to be a sort of evaluation for a "week or so" He isn't expected to be in the lineup tonight, and here's a just a little bit of what coach had to say on the matter

"He's making some strides. I really liked the way he practiced [yesterday]. It's an evaluation more than anything. If we need a defenseman, he'll play."

Here's to getting 2 pts offa the Isles tonight! We need these division wins :beer:

bplax_mooky
02-07-2008, 10:56 PM
And maybe Therrien does know what he is doing. Whitney responds to the criticism with 3 points.

I agree with Sponge in that I doubt Goligoski see any action.

King_Killah
02-08-2008, 01:20 AM
And maybe Therrien does know what he is doing. Whitney responds to the criticism with 3 points.

I agree with Sponge in that I doubt Goligoski see any action.

Yeah but Whitney getting three points and being aggressive around the net are two separate things. I never really had a problem with Whit's offensive game, it seems like Therrien is questioning his defense. No?

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-08-2008, 01:30 AM
Yeah but Whitney getting three points and being aggressive around the net are two separate things. I never really had a problem with Whit's offensive game, it seems like Therrien is questioning his defense. No?

Killah that's exactly right. But Whitney putting up points never hurts the ole +/- :D Way to go Whit

Bplax I was thinking the same thing in regards to Therrien! Errey was talking about how a lot of the young Pens are used to Therrien's ways from WBS and that they aren't terribly upset/fazed by the public call outs.

And Guess who the Pens are hoping/expecting to be back by the END of Feb???

GARY ROBERTS! He is already skating :eek: This is absolutely GREAT news for the Penguins playoff push/deep playoff run. And to think... we were actually discussing how at his age his broken leg could have been career ending. What a beast!

Penguins' Crosby, Roberts skate at practice

By The Tribune-Review
Thursday, February 7, 2008

Captain Sidney Crosby and left wing Gary Roberts each skated Wednesday prior to the Penguins' practice at Mellon Arena.

Crosby has not played since Jan. 18, when he was lost for six to eight weeks with a high right ankle sprain. Crosby has skated lightly the past few days. Team officials stressed there is no updated prognosis for Crosby's return.

Roberts has not played since Dec. 29 due to a broken left leg. Although no timetable has been made official, the Penguins are optimistic Roberts could return by the end of February.

King_Killah
02-08-2008, 01:58 AM
Good for Roberts to get back out there... I like him. Love his game. ...and Bonger, you are right... the points definitely helps the +/-.

bplax_mooky
02-08-2008, 09:06 PM
KK, you are right in that Therrien was calling out his defense and lack of physicallity but it was just nice to see Whitney respond like that. Even if it was scoring points, not stellar defense, that was his most productive game of the season.

Who knows if it had anything to do with Therrien calling him out but it was very nice to get that good of a game out of him.

jense
02-09-2008, 02:35 PM
Wow... Malkin is really stepping up his game with Sid's absence. 3 more points today so far.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-09-2008, 03:05 PM
Wow... Malkin is really stepping up his game with Sid's absence. 3 more points today so far.

No denying that Malkin has been huuuge in Sid's abscence. 10pts in his last 4 games, including the 3 he put up today. Gotta love that!! I don't think we'd be winning w/o him. I dunno why Malkin isn't compared more with a guy like Ovechkin, they are both $$$

I think Malkin is due for a new contract soon enough? I really hope we wrap him up and keep him in the fold... I would seriously cry a lot if we somehow let him go. There is one Malkin/Ovechkin comparison that I don't like to hear - I heard Evgeni say something along the lines of really liking Ovechkin's contract numbers, but I honestly dunno if the Pens will pay that kinda money? :scared:

Sid is skating, but still about a month away....

Motorcat
02-09-2008, 11:11 PM
Sponge - if you want your thread title changed as mentioned in the other thread just say the word.

You started it - so its your call.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-09-2008, 11:18 PM
Sponge - if you want your thread title changed as mentioned in the other thread just say the word.

You started it - so its your call.

hey sure go for it! Thanks for double checking though, I appreciate that. :beer:

Crosbyless PENS IN FIRST! :cool: Thanks to the Rangers shutting out Philly today. Damn I really coulda used a win from your Canes though Motor. Jersey cruuushed them and I think are only a pt back... it's gonna be a race down to the wire in the Atlantic

Motorcat
02-09-2008, 11:22 PM
Done - I'll drop the formerly part in a few days .... on both threads.

:beer:

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-09-2008, 11:28 PM
Nice call motor. I got $5 bucks on the Pens winning the division! If Crosby wasn't hurt I'd have $500 on it

Seriously though, it's gonna be tough for any of the Rangers/Flyers/Pens to win this division. No doubt about it, this year and down the stretch the Atlantic Division has to be the toughest/most competitive division in the east. (I give the west to the Pacific where my Sharks play... SJ/Anahiem/Dallas)

jense
02-10-2008, 03:05 PM
No denying that Malkin has been huuuge in Sid's abscence. 10pts in his last 4 games, including the 3 he put up today. Gotta love that!! I don't think we'd be winning w/o him. I dunno why Malkin isn't compared more with a guy like Ovechkin, they are both $$$

I think Malkin is due for a new contract soon enough? I really hope we wrap him up and keep him in the fold... I would seriously cry a lot if we somehow let him go. There is one Malkin/Ovechkin comparison that I don't like to hear - I heard Evgeni say something along the lines of really liking Ovechkin's contract numbers, but I honestly dunno if the Pens will pay that kinda money? :scared:

Sid is skating, but still about a month away....

Chalk up another 3 so far today. February is shaping up to be the best month of his young career.

King_Killah
02-10-2008, 03:10 PM
Nice call motor. I got $5 bucks on the Pens winning the division! If Crosby wasn't hurt I'd have $500 on it

Seriously though, it's gonna be tough for any of the Rangers/Flyers/Pens to win this division. No doubt about it, this year and down the stretch the Atlantic Division has to be the toughest/most competitive division in the east. (I give the west to the Pacific where my Sharks play... SJ/Anahiem/Dallas)

I'll bet you the $5 that the Pens don't win the division. :D

The Pens are currently up on the Flyers 3-2, but Philly is on the PP, which we all know is the most dangerous PP in the NHL right now! ;)

Hamsterkill
02-10-2008, 04:04 PM
I'll bet you the $5 that the Pens don't win the division. :D

The Pens are currently up on the Flyers 3-2, but Philly is on the PP, which we all know is the most dangerous PP in the NHL right now! ;)

"You LOSE! Good day, sir!" :D

nyihater4life
02-10-2008, 04:15 PM
Thats really unfair to say "your the only one who cost us the game". It was a team factor. I wonder how players react to that kind of shit.

Hockeyis#1
02-10-2008, 05:49 PM
No denying that Malkin has been huuuge in Sid's abscence. 10pts in his last 4 games, including the 3 he put up today. Gotta love that!! I don't think we'd be winning w/o him.

Does Malkin's production really surprise that many people? The kid has FINALLY payed off the morgage on his house in Bing's Shadow and is got the chance to prove he's more than a footnote on the early career of "The Kid". He's hungry and has a rare oppurtunity, with something to prove. I'd say he's got Ovechkin potential and Pittsburgh could buy a nice winger to put with Bing when he returns, Malkin can go back to his natural position-center and give Pittsburgh a combination that many great teams have used-Having two lines with Elite Centres as a 1-2 punch (Jagr/Lemieux, Yzerman/Federov, Gretzky/Messier, Sakic/Forsberg, ALL the Canadiens Dynasties, etc)

I heard Evgeni say something along the lines of really liking Ovechkin's contract numbers, but I honestly dunno if the Pens will pay that kinda money? :scared:..

I think Malkin has Ovechkin level potential, but needs to turn the "I Love Bing" Show into the "Malkin/Crosby Scoring Hour"

Until he puts up the digits to back it up, I don't see him making more than 5 mil a season (4-4.5 is my honest pick).

Hobbes
02-10-2008, 05:56 PM
I think Malkin has Ovechkin level potential, but needs to turn the "I Love Bing" Show into the "Malkin/Crosby Scoring Hour"

Until he puts up the digits to back it up, I don't see him making more than 5 mil a season (4-4.5 is my honest pick).

He'll get way more than 4-4.5 million. He's sixth in league scoring!

phaneuf6
02-10-2008, 06:01 PM
Does Malkin's production really surprise that many people? The kid has FINALLY payed off the morgage on his house in Bing's Shadow and is got the chance to prove he's more than a footnote on the early career of "The Kid". He's hungry and has a rare oppurtunity, with something to prove. I'd say he's got Ovechkin potential and Pittsburgh could buy a nice winger to put with Bing when he returns, Malkin can go back to his natural position-center and give Pittsburgh a combination that many great teams have used-Having two lines with Elite Centres as a 1-2 punch (Jagr/Lemieux, Yzerman/Federov, Gretzky/Messier, Sakic/Forsberg, ALL the Canadiens Dynasties, etc)

Wtf. Is that a joke? 7 min.

Hamsterkill
02-10-2008, 06:04 PM
Wtf. Is that a joke? 7 min.

Yeah he'll get more than 4-4.5... that would be an INCREDIBLE bargain... I'm hoping he's willing to resign for about 6mil...

Hockeyis#1
02-10-2008, 06:04 PM
He'll get way more than 4-4.5 million. He's sixth in league scoring!

If he stays in Pittsburgh. They can't afford two $8mil salaries.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-10-2008, 06:13 PM
yay pens finally beat the flyers this year! no sweeeeep, wewt

Malkin at 6mil would be a bargain... I can easily see him getting around 7 or more.. I just hope he takes a bit of a cut to stay with Pittsburgh and win some cups here.

Hobbes
02-10-2008, 06:19 PM
If he stays in Pittsburgh. They can't afford two $8mil salaries.

Is there cap situation THAT bad where they could only afford that much??? The cap is supposed to go up again this summer.

Even if Malkin stays with the Penguins, he'll get much more than that.

two24four
02-10-2008, 06:22 PM
Is there cap situation THAT bad where they could only afford that much??? The cap is supposed to go up again this summer.

I heard that as well, something like $3.5M more.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-10-2008, 06:23 PM

as far as I understand it they have some decent cap room as it is. I'll have to look at numbers to give you an exact though. My sincere concern with Evgeni here is that Malkin, as mentioned, seems to be in the side of the Sidney spot light, and I wonder if a trade or playing for another team wouldn't be enticing to him for that reason.. giving him a chance to be "the guy" even though Pens fans will tell you that Malkin is definitely THE MAN! We all appreciate this guy's game as much as Crosby, he just isn't marketed nationally the same way as Sid the Kid.

Hobbes
02-10-2008, 06:30 PM
as far as I understand it they have some decent cap room as it is. I'll have to look at numbers to give you an exact though. My sincere concern with Evgeni here is that Malkin, as mentioned, seems to be in the side of the Sidney spot light, and I wonder if a trade or playing for another team wouldn't be enticing to him for that reason.. giving him a chance to be "the guy" even though Pens fans will tell you that Malkin is definitely THE MAN! We all appreciate this guy's game as much as Crosby, he just isn't marketed nationally the same way as Sid the Kid.

http://nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=PIT

Looks like they are in pretty good shape to give their younger players some raises. It doesn't look that bad to me...unless the cap goes down (which you never know, it won't keep rising EVERY year) I think they will be fine.

I didn't realize they had Ryan Whitney locked up that long. Plus once Gonchars contract is up that frees up a lot more room as well.

Hamsterkill
02-10-2008, 06:43 PM
It's more a quesiton of how much the Pens are willing to spend in a year. I don't think the team is willing to approach the cap.

bplax_mooky
02-10-2008, 08:47 PM
I think with the new arena on the horizon you will see their self imposed cap rise, possibly up to the actual salary cap numbers. And if they keep upping season ticket prices as much as they did this past year they should be able to easily afford it. I hope they don't end up selling seat licenses like the Steelers...

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-10-2008, 09:03 PM
I think with the new arena on the horizon you will see their self imposed cap rise, possibly up to the actual salary cap numbers. And if they keep upping season ticket prices as much as they did this past year they should be able to easily afford it. I hope they don't end up selling seat licenses like the Steelers...

man.. the Pens have a waiting list for season tickets for basically the first time ever right? I wouldn't be surprised to see this go down.. Maybe I should put a deposit down now b/c there is a possibility that I will move back to Pitt in 2 years after I finish up at this school. Do you (or anyone) know anything in detail about the Pens season ticket waiting list anyway?

bplax_mooky
02-10-2008, 09:51 PM
I don't know a whole lot. I have a half season plan right now and I think we're going to get a full season next year. I know that the waiting list is a few hundred people deep and I'm pretty sure that it requires a deposit of a couple hundred dollars but that's about all I know. I'm guessing there is probably some more info on it on the pens website and the people that work for the pens are always very helpful when you call for info.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-12-2008, 11:28 AM
bplax_mooky, thanks dude! :beer:

I'd like to go on record and say that there is a damned good chance that Malkin wins the scoring title this year and I think he does it.

Yeah I said it!

Too bad this may pretty much buy him a ticket out of town the season after next.

Oh yeah , I'm not entirely nuts either. Malkin is top 5 and currently only 3 points back from Alexander the great. It is also my opinion that Malkin will prove to be the better of the two. That is all. :D

1...Alexander Ovechkin...76
2...Daniel Alfredsson....73
3...Evgeni Malkin........73
4...Vincent Lecavalier...72
5...Jason Spezza.........71

Hockeyis#1
02-12-2008, 02:21 PM
Oh yeah , I'm not entirely nuts either. Malkin is top 5 and currently only 3 points back from Alexander the great. It is also my opinion that Malkin will prove to be the better of the two. That is all. :D

I dunno about all that....When's Bing scheduled to return....that'll put a damper on things for Malkin

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-12-2008, 04:38 PM
I dunno about all that....When's Bing scheduled to return....that'll put a damper on things for Malkin

another 4 weeks or so.. it's a high ankle so I would assume they won't be rushing him in early for fear of reaggravating it.

So do you think that w/o Crosby on the ice Malkin has a bigger shot at a scoring title? He has been blowing up since the kid went down, which is actually kind've odd to me b/c wouldn't Malkin now be facing other teams best drfensive pairings/checkers all by himself? He has really stepped up his game and shown a ton of heart and leadership over the last little while and I can't believe it but Malkin actually seems to be doing better without the kid around.

Pensrockman02
02-12-2008, 04:57 PM
I think when Sid comes back Malkin will go on an even more impressive run, if you can believe it. Malkin's like should stay as is and Sid should be with Army and.....??? In any event, Sid can take his sweet time healing

flock-raven
02-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Did anyone else at all think, that at this time in the year, the Devs would have scored more goals than the Rangers (in 3 less games). Thats definately thanks to the coaching change. Also a combination of the Rangers lack of scoring as well.

I expect the Devs to continue their scoring from here on out.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-13-2008, 12:50 PM
Did anyone else at all think, that at this time in the year, the Devs would have scored for goals than the Rangers (in 3 less games). Thats definately thanks to the coaching change. Also a combination of the Rangers lack of scoring as well.

for = more? I'm not sure I ever really thought about that, but I also never expect much out of the Rangers... even with the big off season grabs. They always seem to be first to spend all the $$$ and get none of the results. Keep spending NY, keep spending..

edit:

Wow I guess I'm not the only one who has been speculating Malkin's run for some trophies this season. PPG got on the wagon today too, and posted an article about it.. and I even heard some Sharks annoucers mentioning Malkin's quiet leap to the top and potential bid for the Art Ross.

A trophy in which Lemieux and Jagr had pretty much locked up for the Penguins from 1992-2001, except for a guy named Wayne Gretzky sneaking in there to win it in '94.

Lemieux also won it in 1988 and '89, and Sidney Crosby won it last season. That means the Penguins have produced the league scoring champion 12 of the past 19 seasons. Impressive! Is Malkin next?

Anyone else think Crosby and Malkin keep it in Pittsburgh in dominant fashion the way Super Mario and Jags did?

Hamsterkill
02-13-2008, 07:57 PM
Looks like Goligoski is getting a game in. Can't tell if they got a D on the wing again or whether they're just rotating 7 D.

Edit: Oops, looks like game discussion already started in the Bruins thread, oh well...

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-13-2008, 08:02 PM
Looks like Goligoski is getting a game in. Can't tell if they got a D on the wing again or whether they're just rotating 7 D.

Edit: Oops, looks lie game discussion already started in the Bruins thread, oh well...

shit 2-0!!! Malkin had a GREAT shot for a shortie tonight, fired it but missed the net!

There was a foward injury that's why Goligoski is in. Not sure who, lemme check. oh man some dbag I never heard of got the goal, first of his career, I am gonna eat shit in the Bruins thread hahahah

iceman4
02-13-2008, 09:34 PM
Did anyone else at all think, that at this time in the year, the Devs would have scored more goals than the Rangers (in 3 less games). Thats definately thanks to the coaching change. Also a combination of the Rangers lack of scoring as well.

i guess only time will tell, but in the mean time real nice win tonight. glad to see gio finally broke his scoring slump. they need him to produce down the stretch and in the playoffs

edit: i didnt see this game cause im at school, but im listening to the end of the broadcast on nhl radio and apparently ottawa broke up their top line for a while during this game, sending alfie to go play with fisher. but they were reassembled before game's end. interesting.

Hamsterkill
02-13-2008, 11:28 PM
So the Pens may not have had the best game tonight, but there is a silver lining...

Fleury appears to have had a good first game back in Wilkes-Barre, making 30 saves on 31 shots for the win against Norfolk.

King_Killah
02-13-2008, 11:44 PM
Damn Penguins with a shitty loss... I bet on those bitches to win straight up and they lose. F*ckers.

iceman4
02-14-2008, 11:25 AM
So the Pens may not have had the best game tonight, but there is a silver lining...

Fleury appears to have had a good first game back in Wilkes-Barre, making 30 saves on 31 shots for the win against Norfolk.

i know this isnt the fantasy forum, but do you guys think fleury will regain the starters role once back up with the pens?

he was just dropped in my league. im thinking maybe hejduk or mcdonald could go to make room for him.

Hamsterkill
02-14-2008, 12:30 PM
i know this isnt the fantasy forum, but do you guys think fleury will regain the starters role once back up with the pens?

he was just dropped in my league. im thinking maybe hejduk or mcdonald could go to make room for him.

I'm thinking he starts out splitting starts with Conklin and Therrien will go from there based on how they play.

flock-raven
02-14-2008, 12:50 PM
There is no doubt in my mind that Fleury is the bonafide starter when he returns.

Hamsterkill
02-14-2008, 12:55 PM
There is no doubt in my mind that Fleury is the bonafide starter when he returns.

There wasn't in mine either, except Conklin has played very well overall this year and Fleury has said he won't *really* be 100% until next season.

flock-raven
02-14-2008, 01:09 PM
After Conklin had his out-of-character win streak snapped, he went...

5-4-3
2.67 GAA and an average SV%

Those look alot more like his career numbers, so I doubt his win streak is turning anyones head. I can't even believe I read an article a month ago saying he would be up for the Hart Trophy....

lol...

Hockeyis#1
02-14-2008, 03:32 PM
I read an article a month ago saying he would be up for the Hart Trophy....

lol...

Did Barry Melrose write that?!

mrtybrodur30
02-14-2008, 04:17 PM
bplax_mooky, thanks dude! :beer:

I'd like to go on record and say that there is a damned good chance that Malkin wins the scoring title this year and I think he does it.

Yeah I said it!

Too bad this may pretty much buy him a ticket out of town the season after next.

1...Alexander Ovechkin...76
2...Daniel Alfredsson....73
3...Evgeni Malkin........73
4...Vincent Lecavalier...72
5...Jason Spezza.........71we shall see my friend!! we shall see!! ;) Malkin has been very hot lately but i know i wouldnt bet against Ovechkin! and the way Backstrom is progressing along even right now that just makes alex even more dangerous for this year and beyond. he has been playing like a Joe Thornton light player.

flock-raven
02-14-2008, 04:37 PM

Did Barry Melrose write that?!

Here it is, straight from ESPN
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=cox_damien&id=3199158

some key quotes...

"Conklin, meanwhile, was the third-string goalie of the Pittsburgh Penguins (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/clubhouse?team=pit), probably wondering whether at age 31 he was ever going to get a serious NHL chance again.

Yet, here we are now in mid-January, and the impact these two players have had on this season in the past month is remarkable.
Hart-like, really."

lol

"But Conklin has had a Niedermayer-like impact on the Penguins"

wow, in the same breath as Nieds...

"But facts are facts, and no two men have changed the seasons of their respective teams and conferences more than Niedermayer and Conklin"

Wow, 11 games, and Conklin has changed the pens season

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-14-2008, 04:39 PM
yeah I think Fleury starts his first game back and should take the reigns over almost immediately.. unless he really stinks up the joint

Hockeyis#1
02-14-2008, 05:53 PM
Never read anything from Cox really....Apparently I'm not missing much

gNaRKiLL
02-14-2008, 09:25 PM
The refs totally blew the Pens game tonight. The calls were absolutely disgusting all night long. It was like watching professional wrestling.

No call on the Taffe nose break, no call on the Malkin stick hold, and the call on J Stall after the Kris Beech injury, among others stick out.

phaneuf6
02-14-2008, 09:44 PM
He's actually pretty good. I like his articles anyways.

A trade for Malkin sounds good. Toronto will take him. :)

bplax_mooky
02-14-2008, 09:50 PM
The refs totally blew the Pens game tonight. The calls were absolutely disgusting all night long. It was like watching professional wrestling.

No call on the Taffe nose break, no call on the Malkin stick hold, and the call on J Stall after the Kris Beech injury, among others stick out.

Agreed, took some tough calls tonight but it has gone the other way a far share of times too this season. The non-call on the TAffe play was complete BS. Getting a broken nose from a blatant elbow and no call, I'd be super pissed. Looked like Beech broke his wrist (just guessing from how he went into the boards).

boredguy
02-14-2008, 10:14 PM

He's pretty awful, i usually skip over his articles in the Star. He seems to write stuff more to be contrary with everyone then any other reason.

Motorcat
02-14-2008, 11:46 PM

You guys kind of had one or two coming after Laraque took out Brind'Amour.

We've taken alot of injuries from your club .......... Cole - broken neck, Letowski - laid out with a concussion, Walker torn cartilage off ribs, Now Brind'Amour.

Seems to be a history there.

Gutsy win if you ask me - especially with 3 blue liners out.

King_Killah
02-15-2008, 12:08 AM
A trophy in which Lemieux and Jagr had pretty much locked up for the Penguins from 1992-2001, except for a guy named Wayne Gretzky sneaking in there to win it in '94.

Lemieux also won it in 1988 and '89, and Sidney Crosby won it last season. That means the Penguins have produced the league scoring champion 12 of the past 19 seasons. Impressive! Is Malkin next?

Anyone else think Crosby and Malkin keep it in Pittsburgh in dominant fashion the way Super Mario and Jags did?

I hate to say it... In 12 of the last 19 seasons, what else have they done? OK, OK...they won the Cup in the '91-'92 season (yes, the '90-'91) also, but since then??? Hahaha... I love #66 and truly believe he is the real Great One. I love Jagr too. Liked him most when he was with Pittsburgh. That dude was so skilled it was sick.

I won't compare Crosby and Malkin to those two just yet, but they are fun to watch. I do think when Crosby comes back, Malkin will settle down. I don't think he keeps pace. Its just something about when certain players are out there. I do agree that when Crosby does come back that they should keep the Malkin line intact and place Crosby elsewhere, have two potent lines.

I don't think Malkin wins the scoring title. But it will certainly be fun watching him try!

Hockeyis#1
02-15-2008, 02:12 AM
I do agree that when Crosby does come back that they should keep the Malkin line intact and place Crosby elsewhere, have two potent lines!

Been saying that all along...buy a sniper for Bing at the deadline and let malkin have his own line

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-15-2008, 02:55 AM
Missed the game tonight b/c I was down at the tank and forgot to set the dvr. Bummer. I heard Malkin had a goal though.

Btw - Looks like MAF has finally ditched the yellow pads... not sure how soon he gets called back up but get ready to see him in white. Very strange!!!

I hate to say it... In 12 of the last 19 seasons, what else have they done? OK, OK...they won the Cup in the '91-'92 season (yes, the '90-'91) also, but since then??? Hahaha... I love #66 and truly believe he is the real Great One. I love Jagr too. Liked him most when he was with Pittsburgh. That dude was so skilled it was sick.

I won't compare Crosby and Malkin to those two just yet, but they are fun to watch. I do think when Crosby comes back, Malkin will settle down. I don't think he keeps pace. Its just something about when certain players are out there. I do agree that when Crosby does come back that they should keep the Malkin line intact and place Crosby elsewhere, have two potent lines.

I don't think Malkin wins the scoring title. But it will certainly be fun watching him try!

hmm b2b cups along with all of those scoring titles, not to mention a few division titles.. not too shabby :D

Just goes to show though - teams win cups, not players. Yeah the Pens had Jags and Lemieux but those cup teams were so solid all around.

flock-raven
02-15-2008, 02:11 PM
The devils have a chance tonight to grab first!

King_Killah
02-15-2008, 04:41 PM
Missed the game tonight b/c I was down at the tank and forgot to set the dvr. Bummer. I heard Malkin had a goal though.

Btw - Looks like MAF has finally ditched the yellow pads... not sure how soon he gets called back up but get ready to see him in white. Very strange!!!

hmm b2b cups along with all of those scoring titles, not to mention a few division titles.. not too shabby :D

Just goes to show though - teams win cups, not players. Yeah the Pens had Jags and Lemieux but those cup teams were so solid all around.

Back to back Cups yes, but one of those Cups are before the years outlined and I notated the Cup achievements. I am asking what has the scoring titles done for the Pens in 12 of the 19 years. Not much. Where was the scoring in the playoffs when needed? That's all.

Totally agree that its a team not a player...but in a lot of cases, you need that player...as the player goes, the team goes sorta thing.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-15-2008, 06:19 PM
Back to back Cups yes, but one of those Cups are before the years outlined and I notated the Cup achievements. I am asking what has the scoring titles done for the Pens in 12 of the 19 years. Not much. Where was the scoring in the playoffs when needed? That's all.

Totally agree that its a team not a player...but in a lot of cases, you need that player...as the player goes, the team goes sorta thing.

aye.. I see your point killah but I am hardly one to complain about being a Pens fan.. seeing as my Sharks haven't even given me HALF the joy and celebration that my dear Penguins have. I know how it feels to root for a winner and a loser. (so to speak) Like I mentioned earlier, it is definitely the team, but I agree with you 100% when you say that a team needs those certain key players to build a championship team around. Hopefully management can fill in the correct pieces around Crosby and Malkin so that they can get it done once or twice in the next few years, but even if not, I'm still proud to sport their jerseys and happy to call them Pens. :beer:

I'd also like to add in the fact that I don't think Jags wins another cup with NY or with anyone... probably not another scoring title either, so it's definitely not all about the player.

King_Killah
02-15-2008, 08:22 PM
aye.. I see your point killah but I am hardly one to complain about being a Pens fan.. seeing as my Sharks haven't even given me HALF the joy and celebration that my dear Penguins have. I know how it feels to root for a winner and a loser. (so to speak) Like I mentioned earlier, it is definitely the team, but I agree with you 100% when you say that a team needs those certain key players to build a championship team around. Hopefully management can fill in the correct pieces around Crosby and Malkin so that they can get it done once or twice in the next few years, but even if not, I'm still proud to sport their jerseys and happy to call them Pens. :beer:

I'd also like to add in the fact that I don't think Jags wins another cup with NY or with anyone... probably not another scoring title either, so it's definitely not all about the player.

At this point in Jagr's career, I don't see him winning another scoring title either. I don't see him winning a Cup, with NY. If he wants one more solid chance at a Cup, he needs to request to be traded.

Speaking of the Sharks, I am going to the Sharks/Flyers game in Philly next Thursday. Which jersey to I wear? Do I rock the Flyers jersey, or do I go against the grain and go San Jose??? Loved the Sharks when they first came into the league. Shit....what was that Russian line, Sergei Makarov, Igor Larionov, and ....... damn, I can't remember. I loved Arthurs Irbe and that dude.... Kelly Kisio.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-15-2008, 10:00 PM
At this point in Jagr's career, I don't see him winning another scoring title either. I don't see him winning a Cup, with NY. If he wants one more solid chance at a Cup, he needs to request to be traded.

Speaking of the Sharks, I am going to the Sharks/Flyers game in Philly next Thursday. Which jersey to I wear? Do I rock the Flyers jersey, or do I go against the grain and go San Jose??? Loved the Sharks when they first came into the league. Shit....what was that Russian line, Sergei Makarov, Igor Larionov, and ....... damn, I can't remember. I loved Arthurs Irbe and that dude.... Kelly Kisio.

heheh I still can't believe Ozo was on the team back then and Constaintine was the coach I think. heheh Hmm Was it Viktor Kozlov on that line? I can't remember either

Hamsterkill
02-15-2008, 10:05 PM
The devils have a chance tonight to grab first!

Assuming correctness of the current Yahoo scoreboard... it seem the Devils have taken first place with better goal differential by 1.

Edit: Another good game in the AHL for MAF posting a 1-0 loss... still claims to be feeling rusty though.

King_Killah
02-16-2008, 12:16 AM
heheh I still can't believe Ozo was on the team back then and Constaintine was the coach I think. heheh Hmm Was it Viktor Kozlov on that line? I can't remember either

Was it Kozlov???? I thought it was another "ov" but I thought the name was much longer... I have Johan Garpenlov in mind, but I don't think "Johan" is a Russian name??? Is it?

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-16-2008, 01:09 AM
Was it Kozlov???? I thought it was another "ov" but I thought the name was much longer... I have Johan Garpenlov in mind, but I don't think "Johan" is a Russian name??? Is it?

he's the first to come to my mind, i'll have to look into that one though

And uhhh, not that it really matters all that much but Penguins Forward Kris Beech is out indefinitely with a broken wrist. That was a great pickup Pens.... :dead:

nyrblue2
02-17-2008, 07:40 PM
Awesome game today between NYR and SJ. I'm glad the Rangers have been able to string together a couple real solid games - 1 offensive explosion and 1 strong defensive effort. Lundy looks like the brick wall he was at the start of the year and these new lines have all looked really good. It will certainly be a tough choice for Renney once Prucha is ready to play again.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-17-2008, 08:10 PM
Awesome game today between NYR and SJ. I'm glad the Rangers have been able to string together a couple real solid games - 1 offensive explosion and 1 strong defensive effort. Lundy looks like the brick wall he was at the start of the year and these new lines have all looked really good. It will certainly be a tough choice for Renney once Prucha is ready to play again.

missed that game cause it was at 10am and I was too hungover to bother! I see my Sharks lost again, but how did Nabster look? :\

Watching the Pens 3-1 against the Sabres. 11mins to go and Malkin has already put up another 2 pt night. A sick goal for Geno tonight too, career high 34 goals, 11th goal in 13 games since Crosby went out of the line up.

Malkin + Sykora = $$$

Hamsterkill
02-17-2008, 08:18 PM
I would just like to say, as a Conklin doubter when the Pens signed him, that I am happily eating my words...

I've never seen Conklin this strong on rebounds before this season.

nyrblue2
02-17-2008, 08:23 PM
missed that game cause it was at 10am and I was too hungover to bother! I see my Sharks lost again, but how did Nabster look? :\
It was just a great game all around. Lots of hard hits, solid puck control, good tending, etc.

The first goal by NYR was because Callahan was left WIDE open on the top of the crease for a quick pass from the side of the net. The 2nd was a blast by Drury from just inside the top of the circles over Nabby's glove as he went from right to left. I guess it wouldn't have been the toughest save, but I wouldn't call it a soft goal, either. Don't worry, he had plenty of sweet saves to keep it close, lol.

Both teams dominated for certain stretches of the game, but overall, the Rangers were able to have all 3 offensive lines look dominant at certain times, but the Thornton line was the only one that was really noticable for SJ.

The Rangers 4th line have become a legitimate shut-down line as they are almost always put out aginst the opposing team's top line. I'm sure it would be hard to definitely define a team's "4th line", but I bet the Rangers (who clearly have a 4th line) have some of the most evenly spread ice time in the NHL.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-17-2008, 08:46 PM
I would just like to say, as a Conklin doubter when the Pens signed him, that I am happily eating my words...

I've never seen Conklin this strong on rebounds before this season.

he really kept the pens in the game early eh? I'm not sure I was ever a doubter but he has definitely played a lot better than expected. Pens defense isn't looking too bad this year either. We're now tied for first with Jersey again.

It was just a great game all around. Lots of hard hits, solid puck control, good tending, etc.

The first goal by NYR was because Callahan was left WIDE open on the top of the crease for a quick pass from the side of the net. The 2nd was a blast by Drury from just inside the top of the circles over Nabby's glove as he went from right to left. I guess it wouldn't have been the toughest save, but I wouldn't call it a soft goal, either. Don't worry, he had plenty of sweet saves to keep it close, lol.

Both teams dominated for certain stretches of the game, but overall, the Rangers were able to have all 3 offensive lines look dominant at certain times, but the Thornton line was the only one that was really noticable for SJ.

The Rangers 4th line have become a legitimate shut-down line as they are almost always put out aginst the opposing team's top line. I'm sure it would be hard to definitely define a team's "4th line", but I bet the Rangers (who clearly have a 4th line) have some of the most evenly spread ice time in the NHL.

Sharks have lost three straight, even while outshooting their opponents 2-1. They fired 40+ shots at kipper the other night but couldn't get the W. Ridiculous. Thanks for the recap of the game, was wondering how it went.

Hamsterkill
02-17-2008, 08:51 PM
he really kept the pens in the game early eh? I'm not sure I was ever a doubter but he has definitely played a lot better than expected. Pens defense isn't looking too bad this year either. We're now tied for first with Jersey again.

Pens D still looks weak around the front of their net, especially with Eaton out. Conklin's been strong on rebounds though so it hasn't been a huge issue. I worry about Fleury's rebound control still when he gets back though. Errey even said during his interview on the Sabres broadcast that he thinks Pens stick with Conklin as #1 unless Fleury can steal it.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-17-2008, 09:10 PM
Pens D still looks weak around the front of their net, especially with Eaton out. Conklin's been strong on rebounds though so it hasn't been a huge issue. I worry about Fleury's rebound control still when he gets back though. Errey even said during his interview on the Sabres broadcast that he thinks Pens stick with Conklin as #1 unless Fleury can steal it.

:yes:

there's room for improvement for sure.. but to be frank, going into the season I was really nervous, and I think the D has looked a lot better than I expected they would..

I guess I could see the Pens sticking with Conklin, but what does that mean for Fleury's future as a penguin?? :\ I'm pretty sure his contract is about up, I think there is 1 more year on it.

Hamsterkill
02-18-2008, 12:11 AM
:yes:

there's room for improvement for sure.. but to be frank, going into the season I was really nervous, and I think the D has looked a lot better than I expected they would..

I guess I could see the Pens sticking with Conklin, but what does that mean for Fleury's future as a penguin?? :\ I'm pretty sure his contract is about up, I think there is 1 more year on it.

Yeah, but Conklin is unrestricted at the end of this year, so next year is either Fleury or ?. And who know what the Pens are gonna do with their goal when Fleury comes up from Wilkes-Barre... Fleury called himself rusty still after that 1-0 loss against the Phantoms and said the ankle still hurts a bit when he goes to butterfly. I'm still thinking the Pens split starts between MAF and Conk until they guage which they want for the playoff run. I've been wrong before though -- Therrien's a tough bastard to second guess.

nyihater4life
02-18-2008, 05:32 AM
Wow, Pens and Devs with the same exact record.

Rangers are starting to cruise! Can not wait until we play the Devils again for another easy win!

flock-raven
02-18-2008, 01:38 PM
Wow, Pens and Devs with the same exact record.

Rangers are starting to cruise! Can not wait until we play the Devils again for another easy win!

Rangers won't win another game vs the Devs this year.

Sponge - Your really missing a PIM fest for ya. I am not watching the game but I am listening to it on NHL.com. 1st Period is almost done and here are the PIM's so far handed out...

http://cdn.nhl.com//images/logos/25/car.gif 05:20 Wallin, N. : Holding - 2 min
http://cdn.nhl.com//images/logos/25/car.gif 10:12 Conboy, T. : Fighting (maj) - 5 min
http://cdn.nhl.com//images/logos/25/car.gif 10:12 Brookbank, W. : Misconduct (10 min) - 0 min
http://cdn.nhl.com//images/logos/25/njd.gif 10:12 Asham, A. : Misconduct (10 min) - 0 min
http://cdn.nhl.com//images/logos/25/njd.gif 10:12 Asham, A. : Fighting (maj) - 5 min
http://cdn.nhl.com//images/logos/25/njd.gif 10:12 Clarkson, D. : Misconduct (10 min) - 0 min
http://cdn.nhl.com//images/logos/25/njd.gif 10:12 Zubrus, D. : Roughing - 2 min

44 Mins
not to bad for period 1.

nyrblue2
02-18-2008, 05:49 PM

Sponge - Your really missing a PIM fest for ya. I am not watching the game but I am listening to it on NHL.com. 1st Period is almost done and here are the PIM's so far handed out...

http://cdn.nhl.com//images/logos/25/car.gif 10:12 Conboy, T. : Fighting (maj) - 5 min
http://cdn.nhl.com//images/logos/25/car.gif 10:12 Brookbank, W. : Misconduct (10 min) - 0 min
http://cdn.nhl.com//images/logos/25/njd.gif 10:12 Asham, A. : Misconduct (10 min) - 0 min
http://cdn.nhl.com//images/logos/25/njd.gif 10:12 Asham, A. : Fighting (maj) - 5 min
http://cdn.nhl.com//images/logos/25/njd.gif 10:12 Clarkson, D. : Misconduct (10 min) - 0 min

44 Mins
not to bad for period 1.
Clarkson :heart:

Hobbes
02-18-2008, 06:41 PM
Have to give lots of credit to the Devils. When this season started people were predicting them very low (some had them not even making the playoffs) because of the losses of the Gomez and Rafalski, but they've been great.

What a tough division though, wow.

Hamsterkill
02-18-2008, 11:57 PM
Have to give lots of credit to the Devils. When this season started people were predicting them very low (some had them not even making the playoffs) because of the losses of the Gomez and Rafalski, but they've been great.

What a tough division though, wow.

They did the same thing when the Devils lost the Scotts... one thing I've learned as Devs rival's fan: as long as they've got Marty and a decent coach, they'll compete with anyone...

iceman4
02-19-2008, 12:07 AM
They did the same thing when the Devils lost the Scotts... one thing I've learned as Devs rival's fan: as long as they've got Marty and a decent coach, they'll compete with anyone...

speaking of the scotts, one of the posters on a devils board has one of the funnier banners ive ever seen. enjoy:
http://forums.hockeyinformer.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=84&d=1203397651

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-19-2008, 12:18 AM

44 Mins
not to bad for period 1.

damn it!! sounds great! This division is heating up and it's gonna be a race down to the wire! I gotta check the games in hand, i'm hoping the pens have a couple over your jersey team. :evilgrin:

Curses. I missed that Canucks/Oilers game too. AND I had Avs McLeod on my bench tonight and so my fantasy team missed out on his 26pims! In regards to hockey/fantasy hockey - This month has not been going well for me..

flock-raven
02-19-2008, 08:50 AM

And don't forget Lou!

Hamsterkill
02-19-2008, 12:13 PM
And don't forget Lou!

I was kinda lumping him in with the decent coach statement since every time the Devs don't have a decent coach, he takes the reins with quite a bit of prowess.

LFk
02-20-2008, 10:32 PM
Ball is in pittsburgh's court again for the Atlantic lead.

Devs got somewhat lucky against the sharks though - in a season like this, you'd face Nabokov if you face the sharks. But they got one of the only ... 2 (i didn't check. Its gotta be low) games where SJ hasn't played him.

Great save by Brodeur with 4 left in the second though. He deserves a pat on the back for that one.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-21-2008, 03:01 AM
Ball is in pittsburgh's court again for the Atlantic lead.

Devs got somewhat lucky against the sharks though - in a season like this, you'd face Nabokov if you face the sharks. But they got one of the only ... 2 (i didn't check. Its gotta be low) games where SJ hasn't played him.

Great save by Brodeur with 4 left in the second though. He deserves a pat on the back for that one.

Fucking Sharks... the ONE time of the year I am looking to them to help out my Pens and take care of some Atlantic Division opponents and they go 0-3 so far. No heart, No desire, No wins. I missed the game against Jersey - did they at least look halfway interested out there today?

Well hopefully they can take care of the Flyers tonight and the Pens mop the floor with the Sharks on Sunday. Eww I feel so dirty for saying that. :$

nyihater4life
02-21-2008, 03:07 AM

44 Mins
not to bad for period 1.

What makes you say that?

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-21-2008, 04:55 AM
Oh yeah! Numero Uno :cool: And only 5 pts away from topping his rookie season

Malkin was held without a goal for the first time in six games on Tuesday, but his two assists in Pittsburgh's 3-2 win over Florida vaulted him past Washington's Alexander Ovechkin and made him the NHL's points leader with 79 points (34 goals, 45 assists).

I believe he can keep it up!

Hockeyis#1
02-21-2008, 11:38 AM
Oh yeah! Numero Uno :cool: And only 5 pts away from topping his rookie season

Malkin was held without a goal for the first time in six games on Tuesday, but his two assists in Pittsburgh's 3-2 win over Florida vaulted him past Washington's Alexander Ovechkin and made him the NHL's points leader with 79 points (34 goals, 45 assists).

I believe he can keep it up!

I must say I'm shocked...

Hamsterkill
02-21-2008, 09:49 PM
Well hopefully they can take care of the Flyers tonight and the Pens mop the floor with the Sharks on Sunday. Eww I feel so dirty for saying that. :$

Hope so, Sponge. Assuming the Pens let Fleury play Syracuse in the AHL tomorrow, the Sunday agame against the Sharks should be his first game back in the NHL.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-21-2008, 10:01 PM
1g, 2a tonight for Malkin! 82pts on the season

Geno rules

Ovechkin drools

moans
02-22-2008, 01:37 AM
MAlkin is a MACHINE, I am definitely gettgin a Malkin jersey now!

flock-raven
02-22-2008, 11:48 AM
We've got a tough race for the top spot in the east.

Ottawa in 1st with 76 pts, and Jersey / Pitts / Mont tied at 75.

I also find it funny that Carolina has 67 pts and they are in 3rd, While Boston / NYR / Buff are all tied at 68 in 6th,7th,8th. Not to mention NYI's are in 9th with 67.

IMO though, there is no doubt that the Atlantic is the best Eastern Confrence Division.

nyrblue2
02-22-2008, 04:38 PM
IMO though, there is no doubt that the Atlantic is the best Eastern Confrence Division.
Most competitive - absolutely. You'd probably get some arguments about being "the best" from OTT/MTL supporters...

I see your point, though. For the past couples years, when arguing with people about which conference is better, I always came to the conclusion that the West has more parity (the best of the best and the worst of the worst). The East has more of the middle teams and is more tightly contested. However, with the rise of PHO/STL/CHI and the fall of TB/TOR, that sentiment might be changing...

nyihater4life
02-23-2008, 12:03 AM
After reading rumors about Boyle to NYR. Ive been thinking this is when the Rangers should move Montoya. Its perfect for both teams. TB needs a goalie. NYR needs defense. I have a feeling a deal will go down involving those players.

gNaRKiLL
02-23-2008, 12:14 AM
As crazy as this sounds, I would not mind the Pens making a deal with Fleury going the other way. Not that Ty Conklin will continue to play lights out, but he is a better puck handling goalie than Fleury will ever be.

Hamsterkill
02-23-2008, 12:39 AM
As crazy as this sounds, I would not mind the Pens making a deal with Fleury going the other way. Not that Ty Conklin will continue to play lights out, but he is a better puck handling goalie than Fleury will ever be.

This is true, but Conklin is unrestricted after this season, and Fleury is a young goalie who's already very good and will only get better.

I prefer we keep Fleury definitely.

Hockeyis#1
02-23-2008, 08:56 AM
This is true, but Conklin is unrestricted after this season, and Fleury is a young goalie who's already very good and will only get better.

I prefer we keep Fleury definitely.

I always love how people say "He's a young player and will only get better". Like it's completely impossible for them to get worse or never reach their potential. Not ragging on you Hamsterkill or Fleury, I just think it's funny that nearly everyone says that same thing about EVERY young talented player. Because everyone always lives up to potential and reaches the expectations set for them....:lol:

A Conklin trade, as sad as it would be for penguin fans (myself included), it could easily fetch them something nice come deadline time. They clearly aren't trading Fleury as he's their 'goalie of the future' so to speak.

nyrblue2
02-23-2008, 09:42 AM
After reading rumors about Boyle to NYR. Ive been thinking this is when the Rangers should move Montoya. Its perfect for both teams. TB needs a goalie. NYR needs defense. I have a feeling a deal will go down involving those players.
Everybody knows Boyle has the offensive skills, but is he actually good in the defensive zone? I'm not implying that he isn't, I just don't know enough about him to guage his skills that don't show up on the scoresheet...

gNaRKiLL
02-23-2008, 05:39 PM
What a disaster of a day for the Penguins.

Not only do they lose a game they DOMINATED, but NJ wins as well.

So damned frustrating.

iceman4
02-23-2008, 07:32 PM
What a disaster of a day for the Penguins.

Not only do they lose a game they DOMINATED, but NJ wins as well.

So damned frustrating.

its about damn time the devs beat an ny team haha

nyihater4life
02-23-2008, 11:31 PM
Philly is going down hill. Richards is out for 3 weeks

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/recap?gid=2008022315&prov=ap

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-23-2008, 11:45 PM
Sharks @ Pens tomorrow

I am so torn!!

nyihater4life
02-23-2008, 11:51 PM
Sharks @ Pens tomorrow

I am so torn!!

Go Sharks!:D

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-23-2008, 11:53 PM
Go Sharks!:D

Both teams need the W tomorrow.. my heart lays with the Pens but it's really hard to root against SJ.. :$ I will compromise and hope for OT heheh

nyihater4life
02-23-2008, 11:56 PM

Both teams need the W tomorrow.. my heart lays with the Pens but it's really hard to root against SJ.. :$ I will compromise and hope for OT heheh

or a shootout!

I love the Sharks but like the Rangers more but have to go with the Sharks for reasons other then them being my 2nd favorite team;)

Hamsterkill
02-24-2008, 12:10 AM

Ah, but who will you root for to win the OT? You know you can't root for Geno to lose :D.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-24-2008, 01:05 AM
Ah, but who will you root for to win the OT? You know you can't root for Geno to lose :D.

I will root for Geno to wrack up another 3 point game in regulation :D

As a totally random side note, I noticed that Malkin's parents are set to go back home to Russia, after a 2 week visit. I hope their departure doesn't slow the kid down!!

iceman4
02-24-2008, 05:38 PM
huge win for devils. madden scores the gwg in ot. marty stands on his head (38/39 i think?)

pitt tied at one with sharks in the third. well see what happens there.

edit: marty was 37/38. huge effort from marty.

nyihater4life
02-24-2008, 05:39 PM
I recently picked up Madden because of my team taking a heavy IR toll. Im glad I grabbed him.

iceman4
02-24-2008, 05:41 PM
I recently picked up Madden because of my team taking a heavy IR toll. Im glad I grabbed him.

hes gonna score 20+ playing against the other teams best every night. not too shabby.

iceman4
02-24-2008, 06:02 PM
SJ beats pitt in the shootout 3-2. despite the loss. ruutu made a pretty insane move, deking early then lifting the puck with one hand for the finish.

mrtybrodur30
02-24-2008, 06:10 PM
SJ beats pitt in the shootout 3-2. despite the loss. ruutu made a pretty insane move, deking early then lifting the puck with one hand for the finish.to bad it took him 10 minutes to skate from center ice before he shot, it looked bad simply because of that. anyways it was a good game and i cant believe the sharks scored on all of their shootout attempts lol the sharks needed this one bad and im glad they got it, nice job nabby shutting down Malkin as well ;)

iceman4
02-24-2008, 06:26 PM
to bad it took him 10 minutes to skate from center ice before he shot, it looked bad simply because of that. anyways it was a good game and i cant believe the sharks scored on all of their shootout attempts lol the sharks needed this one bad and im glad they got it, nice job nabby shutting down Malkin as well ;)

yeah conklin was pretty pissed understandably. ruutu looked like he had dangle-itis to me. didnt know he had hands like that haha.

nyrblue2
02-24-2008, 06:58 PM
Yea, I was shocked when I saw Ruutu was one of the shooters for PIT. But what a freakin move! Who cares how long it took him to get to the slot, that was pretty sick, being able to lift the puck over Nabby's glove with one hand.

I'm glad SJ won, though, being a Rangers fan and all...:D

Hamsterkill
02-24-2008, 07:52 PM
Yea, I was shocked when I saw Ruutu was one of the shooters for PIT. But what a freakin move! Who cares how long it took him to get to the slot, that was pretty sick, being able to lift the puck over Nabby's glove with one hand.

I'm glad SJ won, though, being a Rangers fan and all...:D

Ruutu has been a good shootout guy for some time.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-24-2008, 10:56 PM
yeah you'd be surprised but ruutu is great one on one in breakaways.. he's had a couple of beauties this year. had to dvr the game so I'll check it out later.. looks like I got my OT wish heheh

nyihater4life
02-24-2008, 11:26 PM
Any link to this amazing goal?

nyrblue2
02-25-2008, 08:50 AM
Any link to this amazing goal?
It's pretty tough to see. You really need a slo-mo close up to see what he actually did...

flock-raven
02-25-2008, 05:21 PM
huge win for devils. madden scores the gwg in ot. marty stands on his head (38/39 i think?)

pitt tied at one with sharks in the third. well see what happens there.

edit: marty was 37/38. huge effort from marty.

Woohoo. Devs are first place in the East now!

hes gonna score 20+ playing against the other teams best every night. not too shabby.

IMO, Madden will be a steal in next years draft. I know he's playing above his past preformance now, but I think in deep leagues, you can still snag him late and get a decent preforming C. He has always been told to think "defense first" and was never told to go for the goal. He has shown flare in the past, but Sutter has really allowed him to let loose.

I still remember one play this year when, short-handed, Madden broke free with the puck and it was a 1-on-1. He was about to dump the puck in and skate back to the bench (in old MadDog fashion) when Sutter starts screaming "go for it! go for it!". Madden shifted gears, deaked and top shelfed it.

I will be drafting Madden in the late rounds next season.

Pensrockman02
02-25-2008, 07:31 PM
yeah you'd be surprised but ruutu is great one on one in breakaways.. he's had a couple of beauties this year. had to dvr the game so I'll check it out later.. looks like I got my OT wish heheh

Did you get a chance to see the game? Spurts of good action but overall unimpressive I thought... I actually heard people behind me (who have obviously never been to a game before) say "Is this game not worth as much or something?"

Anyway, I stand by my assertion that the Pens will win not only the Atlantic, but the East

bplax_mooky
02-26-2008, 09:31 PM
Anybody see the game tonight? Kennedy looked real good in his fight vs. Comrie tonight. Also very nice to see the pens get back to their winning ways. I can't wait to see Hossa, Gill, and Dupuis play. Fleury should get a start soon too!

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-27-2008, 04:39 PM
Did you get a chance to see the game? Spurts of good action but overall unimpressive I thought... I actually heard people behind me (who have obviously never been to a game before) say "Is this game not worth as much or something?"

Anyway, I stand by my assertion that the Pens will win not only the Atlantic, but the East

aye yeah.. I agree. This game was really similiar to the game a couple years back in SJ. Sharks won that one over Pittsburgh 1-0 or 2-1, I can't remember exactly b/c I was wickedly drunk and only two rows from the ice.

SJ/Pitt... Would be a very interesting Stanley Cup final if I am so lucky. :cool:

So are you all getting as excited as I am about Hossa being a Penguin? I'm not sure it has even sunk in yet. :drool: I love that we swooped in on him and I am feeling better about this move than I was yesterday. Even if we can't re-sign him I love seeing this aggressive tactic as it is such a change to what we are used to seeing in Pittsburgh.

Shero - you got some huge cajones man! :headbang: It is nice to see ONE of Pittsburgh's teams making a big buying splash b4 the deadline to try and get it done. God knows the Buccos and Steelers never do!

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-27-2008, 05:22 PM
couple updates for you loyal Penguins fans;

Bad news for the Pens.

ANOTHER high ankle sprain. So much for Scary Gary being back soon...

Roberts is hoping to be back by late March now but there is also whispering talk that his career could be over. I guess only time will tell.

http://postgazette.com/pg/08057/860423-87.stm

The good news - he's been out long enough that this doesn't have any immediate effect on the Penguins.. though I was really looking forward to him coming back soon and providing some grit for the playoffs.

Oh yeah and here is a look at the new lines in Pitts (for now)

1st Line: Dupuis - Malkin - Sykora

2nd Line: Malone - Staal - Hossa

3rd Line: Taffe - Talbot - Kennedy

4th Line: Ruutu - Minard - Laraque"

Not sure why MT is breaking up the big line, but we'll see what happens.

I am also hearing that Fleury will start in net against Boston.

EDIT:

Madden is claiming that the first round pick sent in the hossa deal could be conditional on hossa re-signing in pittsburgh. he leaves, pens get the pick back. Trying to find confirmation on that.

If anyone is interested, here is a look at Pens player salaries if you'd like an idea of what kinda cap room the Pens have to work with next year. I hear that Mario and company are willing and able to max themselves out in order to win now (next few years)

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=PIT

nyihater4life
02-27-2008, 05:58 PM
Dupuis is FAST as hell. Could be dangerous if he can play well with them

nyrblue2
02-27-2008, 06:03 PM
Dupuis is FAST as hell. Could be dangerous if he can play well with them
Yea he is. He's like Luis Mendoza, only instead of not being able to stop, he's not able to score....

Hockeyis#1
02-27-2008, 06:18 PM
Yea he is. He's like Luis Mendoza, only instead of not being able to stop, he's not able to score....

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

A D2 reference...

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-27-2008, 10:57 PM

hahah yeah that's great, but at least he makes out with that jerko dudes gf :yes:

LFk
02-29-2008, 09:52 AM
Brodeur is going back to back again.

I don't know if i'm the only fan that's worried about this. Yes, Marty is a horse. I don't really even buy the "got tired" explanation of his shaky playoff showing last year, so much as just believing that he had a bad run of games.

This man is a god to me, but he's no longer young. I was under the impression Weekes was brought in to give Brodeur a few more days off. But once again Marty is right on pace for the upper-mid 70s in start count again...

Hamsterkill
03-02-2008, 04:38 PM
It may just be that I'm watching the game in Swedish... but these interference calls (Gill and Malkin) on the Pens are very questionable to me...

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-02-2008, 05:43 PM
HUGE 2 pts today, wewt! I think we're a top the standings again (for now) I can't wait for our team to get healthy. We've missed over 200 man games due to injury this season, it has been nuts.

Gosh.. that was waaay too strange seeing Colby/Christensen in Thrasher uniforms against the Pens.. I wanted to cry! I was biting my lip when Eric got a shot at the shoot out.. glad he missed :lol:

Letang is a beast, he totally made Christensen sooo despensable (in regards to shoot outs)

Go Pens!

gNaRKiLL
03-02-2008, 05:56 PM
The Colby play over the net was hilarious, and I'm glad Christensen didn't make us pay.

It's dissapointing lately with all of the losses but when you consider how half of our team is injured, its amazing that we're still keeping up.

Once Crosby/Whitney/Hossa come back, I really fail to see how teams are going to keep up with the Pens in the east.

iceman4
03-04-2008, 10:51 PM
Brodeur! Brodeur! Broduer! martys a hockey god. 41-42 to right the ship for the devs tonight. offense finally did something although they have a bad habit of scoring in spurts then going stone cold...

Hamsterkill
03-04-2008, 10:56 PM
Good game for the Pens tonight defensively speaking at least... MAF looked very good and the D covered up their mistakes well.

I wish Gill would move around a bit more... he looks like he should be more mobile than he plays...

EDIT: Why the hell can't we get players into the lineup without more getting hurt this season?! I bet Staal is out a week now...

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-04-2008, 11:36 PM
injuries are ridiculous for the Pens this year, but damned it was good to see number 87 gliding out on the ice again. Welcome Back Sidney.. we've got a sniper just waiting to play at your side!

iceman4
03-05-2008, 12:11 AM
Good game for the Pens tonight defensively speaking at least... MAF looked very good and the D covered up their mistakes well.

I wish Gill would move around a bit more... he looks like he should be more mobile than he plays...

EDIT: Why the hell can't we get players into the lineup without more getting hurt this season?! I bet Staal is out a week now...

what happened to staal?

Hamsterkill
03-05-2008, 12:55 AM
what happened to staal?

Bruised ribs. Don't take my "1 week" thing as any kind of expert guess... that number came from pure pessimism...

Hockeyis#1
03-05-2008, 04:38 AM
injuries are ridiculous for the Pens this year

How many games this season has the pens full roster been healthy for, outside of October?

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-05-2008, 06:00 AM
How many games this season has the pens full roster been healthy for, outside of October?

NO idea. Not very many at all though! We haven't been healthy for a long time. I mean Roberts has been out how long? Sidney? We were without Talbot and MAF for long stretches. Eaton has been out for what seems like forever. Just lost Scuderi for a few weeks. I know we've lost well above 200 man games to injury this season. It's been call up after call up and plug in play after plug in play. Amazing the Pens are sitting where they are at, really. It's nice to see the team slowly getting healthy that's for sure. I dunno if this is their year or not but I am damned excited to see what a healthy roster can do :beer:

Hamsterkill
03-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Basically, it's seemed like the more our players get injured the better we play, lol.

nyrblue2
03-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Big game between NYR and NYI tonight.

Quick goal by Shanny on a breakaway to make it 1-0! Talk about a breakdown in defensive coverage. It was a delayed penalty on NYI. Shanny stood on the NYI blue line while all 5 NYI players went near the NYR blue line to try to get a whistle. Quick pass up the middle, for an easy breakaway and easy goal

nyihater4life
03-06-2008, 07:16 PM
Big game between NYR and NYI tonight.

Quick goal by Shanny on a breakaway to make it 1-0! Talk about a breakdown in defensive coverage. It was a delayed penalty on NYI. Shanny stood on the NYI blue line while all 5 NYI players went near the NYR blue line to try to get a whistle. Quick pass up the middle, for an easy breakaway and easy goal

Good cherry-picking by Shanny. He was a ghost on the ice

Jagrs slapshot looks nice. Hopefully he can do more of those.

nyihater4life
03-06-2008, 07:21 PM
AH! Perfect setup by Jagr and Avery hits the post!

nyrblue2
03-06-2008, 07:28 PM
What a pass by Malik (:wtf:) to Avery for a sweet deflection! 2-0!

nyihater4life
03-06-2008, 07:28 PM
VERY nice goal. Avery with the deflection

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-06-2008, 07:32 PM
Basically, it's seemed like the more our players get injured the better we play, lol.

hahah yeah seriously eh? who in their right mind realistically thought that the Pens would be on top of the eastern conference when Sidney returned after missing a 1/4 of the season? :cool:

Looks like Staal is okay

nyihater4life
03-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Why when we get an open net shot we shoot INTO Dubi...

nyihater4life
03-06-2008, 08:16 PM
Bad goal. Why does it ALWAYS go off our defenseman and into the net?!

nyrblue2
03-06-2008, 08:34 PM
Bad goal. Why does it ALWAYS go off our defenseman and into the net?!
The spirit of Bryan McCabe looms large in Nassau Coliseum...

nyihater4life
03-06-2008, 08:50 PM
3 to fucking 1!

nyihater4life
03-06-2008, 09:02 PM
If I had a dime for every open net we missed tonight id be filthy rich.

A comforting stat. NYI lowest scoring team on home ice.

bplax_mooky
03-06-2008, 10:03 PM
I can't stand how Therrien thinks that putting Malkin and Crosby together is the solution to everything. They both play better as centers. I understand if it's the last 5 minutes and he needs a quick goal to get back in the game, but he had them on the same line for the last two periods. Freakin' pens and Therrien

Hamsterkill
03-07-2008, 12:08 AM
Yeah, I wasn't happy about that either... Even pulling Fleury after a period was questionable considering the goals weren't entirely his fault.

The Malone - Malkin - Sykora line is beautiful in its makeup: power forward - superstar - shooter. And all three play well each shift. If he wants to shuffle lines, switch Talbot or Dupuis with Malone or Sykora.

Bah, Pens played horrible for the better part of the game anyway... we didn't deserve to win that game.

nyihater4life
03-07-2008, 02:05 AM
With the Penguins having 1 more game played. The Rangers are 2 points out of first place and continute to play their A game. The Ranagers play 2 South Eastern teams and the rest are Atlantic Division. This will be a close finish.

nyihater4life
03-07-2008, 04:06 AM
Parise to play RW for the first time ever.

http://www.nj.com/devils/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1204868123160440.xml&coll=1

flock-raven
03-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Parise to play RW for the first time ever.

http://www.nj.com/devils/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1204868123160440.xml&coll=1

Parise? You mean Zajac, right?

I think this will be great for Zajac & the team but I think it hurts his fantasy value in leagues that count FW's. The increase in production won't out weigh the loss of FW's.

Hockeyis#1
03-07-2008, 03:03 PM
Yeah, I wasn't happy about that either... Even pulling Fleury after a period was questionable considering the goals weren't entirely his fault.

Even if they weren't his fault, goalies getting pulled can be used to motivate a team and such....It's more that just saying "Ok you're having a shitty night, let's see if _____ is having a better night"

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-07-2008, 04:35 PM
hopefully hossa's return will curve Therriens urge to put Malkin with Sid every time the wind turns west. I hate that shit too. Malkin Sykora and Malone should not be separated, period. I know he wants to get Sid going right now but come on duuude. Therrien is okay in my book but sometimes some of his tactics just make me pull my hair out.

nyihater4life
03-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Shit I didnt realize NHL updated the points RIGHT after the game. we're 4 points out but still, its close.

iceman4
03-07-2008, 07:30 PM
elias puts some sauce on the backhand to parise for the one time goal. pretty sweet. 1-0 devs. gionta gets the secondary...these 3 need to produce down the stretch for nj.

and speaking of zajac moving to the wing, the zajac rupp zubrus line looks good so far.

iceman4
03-07-2008, 08:57 PM
wow. boyle and parise just fought. didnt see that coming haha

flock-raven
03-08-2008, 11:44 AM
1st place in the East again!

Hamsterkill
03-08-2008, 06:19 PM
Even if they weren't his fault, goalies getting pulled can be used to motivate a team and such....It's more that just saying "Ok you're having a shitty night, let's see if _____ is having a better night"

Yeah, I know, that's why I said it was only questionable...

As far as Therrien goes, I wouldn't have too much of a problem with him if he didn't insist on juggling lines so much and hating on Orpik way more than he deserves. Therrien seems pretty good at motivating the younger players on the team and even got Malone to take it up a couple levels this season, but he keeps some of the players on too tight a leash, limiting their potential... in my opinion anyway. I will be the first to say that he is way better than Eddie O. was, and better than a good number of other current NHL coaches.

iceman4
03-08-2008, 09:59 PM
42 out of 43 for marty tonight for the win. id have a hard time giving anyone but him the vezina right now. 38 down 2 to go for another 40 win season. please never retire, marty.

nyihater4life
03-09-2008, 04:57 PM
Penguins shoot the puck, Huet saves it, Backstrom gets the puck on the rebound and.........scores?!

That'll haunt him for a while

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Penguins shoot the puck, Huet saves it, Backstrom gets the puck on the rebound and.........scores?!

That'll haunt him for a while

suckers! :lol: I'll take the W anyway we can get it though. Big numbers for sid and malkin today, 2 goals for the kid and 3 assists for Geno, who is now 2/3 pts back from Alex the Great :yes:

nyihater4life
03-10-2008, 01:41 AM
Looks like Rangers were offered Bernier first. Sather rejected the deal, obviously

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03092008/sports/rangers/the_real__no__deal_101077.htm

Proof that Avery will be re-signed? I think so but it doesnt mean its 100%

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-10-2008, 09:35 AM
Looks like Rangers were offered Bernier first. Sather rejected the deal, obviously

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03092008/sports/rangers/the_real__no__deal_101077.htm

Proof that Avery will be re-signed? I think so but it doesnt mean its 100%

weird.. we had word that Sather is the one who was shopping Avery to SJ. Either way, THANK GOD Avery didn't end up a Shark! I woulda be seriously tiffed. The Sharks don't need a guy like Avery on the team right now. Bernier for Campbell is a much, much, much better fit for SJ.

Oh yeah, I think the Rangers will eventually sign Avery and I say Sather is damned smart not signing him just yet. Keeps Avery honest and working real hard for that next contract.

mrtybrodur30
03-10-2008, 07:07 PM
weird.. we had word that Sather is the one who was shopping Avery to SJ. Either way, THANK GOD Avery didn't end up a Shark! I woulda be seriously tiffed. The Sharks don't need a guy like Avery on the team right now. Bernier for Campbell is a much, much, much better fit for SJ.

Oh yeah, I think the Rangers will eventually sign Avery and I say Sather is damned smart not signing him just yet. Keeps Avery honest and working real hard for that next contract.i agree campbell is WAYYY better for the sharks than avery. plus we have like 3 guys that are like that one being shelley. yeah he never scores but we dont need him to, we just need him to play the way he has been. plus i have 100% faith in doug wilson that he will lock up campbell to a long term deal.

nyihater4life
03-10-2008, 08:29 PM
ANOTHER point for the Rangers. keep them coming!

nyihater4life
03-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Dawes hits the post in OT with 10 seconds left!!!!!!!

nyihater4life
03-10-2008, 08:44 PM
2 points for the Rangers

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-10-2008, 08:50 PM
i agree campbell is WAYYY better for the sharks than avery. plus we have like 3 guys that are like that one being shelley. yeah he never scores but we dont need him to, we just need him to play the way he has been. plus i have 100% faith in doug wilson that he will lock up campbell to a long term deal.

exactly. Eff Avery. I woulda been really upset with Wilson had he shipped away Bernie for him, especially after acquiring Jody Shelley. The Sharks are as tough as they need to be and Campbell pwns Avery.

I do find it funny how the trades all seemed to be somewhat linked though. I didn't know the Pens were gunning for Bernier. So strange how all of these things are interconnected. I hope Hossa proves worth it, cause I woulda loved to see Bernie Mac in black n gold.

nyihater4life
03-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Id rather have Avery anyway

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-10-2008, 09:10 PM
Id rather have Avery anyway

than Bernie mac? On the Rangers? I totally agree. Bernier wouldn't have helped you guys out much this year. :beer:

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-10-2008, 11:42 PM
"Penguins PowerPlay still a puzzle"

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/200803/20080311_penguins_cubed_330.jpg

Oh so clever!

The Penguins didn't score a power-play goal in their 4-2 victory in Washington Sunday. No real surprise there, since they're 1 for 24 with the extra man in the past six games.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08071/864153-61.stm

nyihater4life
03-13-2008, 04:25 PM
Lundy sick again, its not the flu. Same thing he had last week. Lundy wants to play both games but the docs will check him up first and then renney will decide.

nyihater4life
03-13-2008, 11:11 PM
Rangers signed some guy named Justin Soryal. Seems like a PPG player in the OHL(this year)

nyihater4life
03-14-2008, 09:04 PM
First loss in regulation in over a month! We'll get the points back in Tampa Bay!

iceman4
03-15-2008, 04:10 PM
good game going on between the devils and avs...brodeur may very well have made the save(s) of the year on an avs pp in the 2nd. he started with a sliding pad stack, made that save, and stopped another one with his stick in the air while still on his side, then stopped the puck from trickling in by sweeping it out with his paddle yet again still on his side...ill look for the vid later.

iceman4
03-16-2008, 12:13 PM
figures the one time i root for the flyers they arent gettin it done..

Hamsterkill
03-16-2008, 12:25 PM
Yeah, Pens have them on their heels. And Hossa's not even playing real well yet.

iceman4
03-16-2008, 12:35 PM
goal number one as a pen for hossa. kind of weak, but all it takes is 1 to get going

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-16-2008, 02:27 PM
helllllss yeah!!!

7-1 stomping over the Flyers

2 a piece for Geno (4pts on the day) and 2 goals for Sykora AND Hossa and Gil both net a goal too!! Dupuis with 3 assists on the day.

I gotta say it's been a damned good day

Hope the Sharks have equal success tonight against the Oilers b/c I will actually be at that one

Irish Car Bombs all around!!!

Hockeyis#1
03-17-2008, 08:44 AM
Hope the Sharks have equal success tonight against the Oilers b/c I will actually be at that one!!!

I can't believe how unbelieveabley BULLET PROOF Rolo played tonight....:eek:

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-17-2008, 07:50 PM
I can't believe how unbelieveabley BULLET PROOF Rolo played tonight....:eek:

48 shots on him and we lose in a shoot out. unbelievable!

nyihater4life
03-17-2008, 08:34 PM
Okposo makes his debut tomorrow

iceman4
03-17-2008, 09:40 PM
Okposo makes his debut tomorrow

too little too late...but hes supposed to be real good, itll be interesting to see what he can do

nyihater4life
03-17-2008, 09:51 PM
too little too late...but hes supposed to be real good, itll be interesting to see what he can do

Yeah we'll see. Definitely worth the grab in keeper leagues though

nyrblue2
03-18-2008, 08:08 PM
Sean Avery is a freakin beast! 2 goals tonight, first one was a twisted wrister from the top of the circles, second one was great hand eye coordination - picked off a shot from the point before it got to Conks (who went down), pulled it around him for the empty net. This guy is clearly more than just an agitator now...

iceman4
03-18-2008, 08:23 PM
Sean Avery is a freakin beast! 2 goals tonight, first one was a twisted wrister from the top of the circles, second one was great hand eye coordination - picked off a shot from the point before it got to Conks (who went down), pulled it around him for the empty net. This guy is clearly more than just an agitator now...

he does have a pretty sick wrist shot. his extracurricular activities make that easy to overlook.

nyihater4life
03-18-2008, 08:28 PM
Lundy breaks Richters record by getting 100 wins the fastest

nyrblue2
03-18-2008, 08:34 PM
he does have a pretty sick wrist shot. his extracurricular activities make that easy to overlook.
Haha, interesting way to put it. Both on-ice and off-ice right? lol

Should be quite the battle tomorrow...

iceman4
03-18-2008, 09:47 PM

yeah should be. unfortunately nhl radio is the closest ill be to it.

nyihater4life
03-18-2008, 09:49 PM
how long does it take for yahoo to add new players(Okposo)?

nyrblue2
03-18-2008, 10:07 PM
how long does it take for yahoo to add new players(Okposo)?
He should appear on waivers tomorrow.

Hockeyis#1
03-19-2008, 10:12 AM

This came to mind when I read that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zM6Na3cZz8

iceman4
03-19-2008, 11:33 AM
This came to mind when I read that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zM6Na3cZz8

hahaha. thatll never get old.

iceman4
03-19-2008, 06:15 PM
clarkson and avery, i love it! and also love that i grabbed clarkson yesterday for pims and went out on a limb today starting him over selanne.

nyrblue2
03-19-2008, 06:17 PM
clarkson and avery, i love it! and also love that i grabbed clarkson yesterday for pims and went out on a limb today starting him over selanne.
Very long, yet a pretty boring fight. They each got a couple good shots in, but nothing destructive. I've never seen anyone do what Avery did a couple times - ducked his head underneath Clarkson's arm to basically lock his arm up.

nyihater4life
03-19-2008, 10:23 PM

44 Mins
not to bad for period 1.

nyrblue2
03-19-2008, 10:24 PM
Nice pull from the deep recesses of this forum, lol...

nyihater4life
03-19-2008, 11:04 PM
Looks like Devils fan stole something. We have the potvin sucks chant and we do that little whistling before it. Well they do the same thing only say "Rangers suck". Cant even think of something original.

Hobbes
03-19-2008, 11:34 PM
Did anyone see the Isles game? How did Okposo look?

nyihater4life
03-19-2008, 11:41 PM
Did anyone see the Isles game? How did Okposo look?

That game was 2 days ago but they said he played well. Hes definitely worth a pick up in deep leagues.

nyihater4life
03-20-2008, 01:37 AM
Why was Marty bitching about Dawes' goal? Because he does the same move to him everytime and scores?:lol:

Seriously though, wonder what he was saying when he scored.

Lundy has held NJ to under TWO goals in their last 15 MEETINGS

nyrblue2
03-20-2008, 09:06 AM
Looks like Devils fan stole something. We have the potvin sucks chant and we do that little whistling before it. Well they do the same thing only say "Rangers suck". Cant even think of something original.
Last night was the first time you heard that? They've been lame like that for a while now too. NYI fans also do it. I love when you can hear the "Potvin Sucks" chant clear as day in other team's arenas though. I'm pretty sure I heard it a couple time in FLA (not that it did any good) and I ALWAYS hear it in Boston.

NYI also did the stick-raising thing at center ice after they beat NYR at home earlier this season.

So much Ranger envy all around the city...:D

nyihater4life
03-20-2008, 09:53 PM
Last night was the first time you heard that? They've been lame like that for a while now too. NYI fans also do it. I love when you can hear the "Potvin Sucks" chant clear as day in other team's arenas though. I'm pretty sure I heard it a couple time in FLA (not that it did any good) and I ALWAYS hear it in Boston.

NYI also did the stick-raising thing at center ice after they beat NYR at home earlier this season.

So much Ranger envy all around the city...:D

Nah a lot of teams do the stick raising thing now. Chicago does it too.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-21-2008, 02:29 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/200803/dianapenguins0320c_500.jpg

beautiful

nyihater4life
03-21-2008, 02:46 AM
When I saw the highlight of Ruutu(?) kicking the puck all the way into the offensive zone, they replaced the puck with a soccer ball :lol:

nyihater4life
03-21-2008, 06:26 PM
Philly is officially classified as piece of shit, no class, dirt bags.

Gomez goes down and crashes into the boards, he gets up and I start to hear boos. No class at all

nyihater4life
03-21-2008, 06:28 PM
Nice job Colton Orr.

nyrblue2
03-21-2008, 06:36 PM
Philly is officially classified as piece of shit, no class, dirt bags.

Gomez goes down and crashes into the boards, he gets up and I start to hear boos. No class at all
You must have missed the cheers when he originally crashed face-first into the boards, because I could clearly hear those, too. I know this is the second time recently that this has been done. I can't find the thread where it was discussed previously on here, but I remember that "it must have been one stupid group of fans". Hmmm...that same "group" must be there again tonight...:rolleyes:

Regardless, the Rangers look like crap so far, lol.

EDIT - found the thread:

http://forums.hockeyinformer.com/showthread.php?t=51353

....and it's been locked....

nyihater4life
03-21-2008, 06:40 PM
You must have missed the cheers when he originally crashed face-first into the boards, because I could clearly hear those, too. I know this is the second time recently that this has been done. I can't find the thread where it was discussed previously on here, but I remember that "it must have been one stupid group of fans". Hmmm...that same "group" must be there again tonight...:rolleyes:

Regardless, the Rangers look like crap so far, lol.

EDIT - found the thread:

http://forums.hockeyinformer.com/showthread.php?t=51353

....and it's been locked....

I heard the cheers as well. I remember a thread here too.

Ice is horrible as well

iceman4
03-21-2008, 06:41 PM
okposo gets his first nhl point assisting on comeaus goal. didnt do a whole lot but the highlight for me was glenn "chico" resch's analysis that okposos mom, whos in attendance would enjoy hearing her sons name on "the...um..big, announcement board." haha.

nyrblue2
03-21-2008, 06:46 PM
okposo gets his first nhl point assisting on comeaus goal. didnt do a whole lot but the highlight for me was glenn "chico" resch's analysis that okposos mom, whos in attendance would enjoy hearing her sons name on "the...um..big, announcement board." haha.
Haha, that guy has to be one of the worst announcers in the NHL. And the analysts (not play-by-play) are supposed to be the smart ones, lol.

iceman4
03-21-2008, 06:48 PM
Haha, that guy has to be one of the worst announcers in the NHL. And the analysts (not play-by-play) are supposed to be the smart ones, lol.

its not that hes bad, hes just clueless. he wont give you top-rate analysis but hes pretty entertaining when he starts to ramble. im also a fan of his "chico eats" segments detailing the food at the rock. it also doesnt hurt to have one of if not the best play-by-play guys in the league in emerick working with him.

nyihater4life
03-21-2008, 06:55 PM
, NYRblue, go watch that Bill Burr clip in the other thread. hilarious shit

nyihater4life
03-21-2008, 07:06 PM
Fuck Gomez better be ok