PDA

View Full Version : Toronto Raptors Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

b_illin
01-24-2008, 01:25 AM
This isn't necessarily a fantasy-only thread in my eyes, but hopefully it will be allowed to stay in the fantasy basketball section in lieu of a basketball discussion forum.

I'm a Toronto Raptors fan. I once thought it was cool that Vince Carter and I are the exact same age to the day...now I try to forget...and look toward a future where we might contend...we're a slasher/finisher with some grit & leadership away...Go Raps Go!

PS: nice win over the Celtics tonight! :D

moans
01-24-2008, 02:41 AM
yeah that was a great win. Two great Toronto games on at the same time. I was switchin back and forth like a madman.

flock-raven
01-24-2008, 10:35 AM
I was very excited last night seeing that win over beantown

Snipes16
01-24-2008, 09:10 PM
I was at that Celts game last night and the Raptors hit some big shots at the end but defensively they have some holes..

Go Celts..

moans
02-05-2008, 02:06 AM
Ford's back, good to see him out there.

smitty42
02-14-2008, 05:20 PM
I was at the game last night: Best part:

Less than half a minute to go Carter fouls Barn behind the 3 pt. line.
- Carter gets pissed off and gets T'd up.
- Calderon hits the technical foul shot.
- Barn hits all three foul shots "Real old fashioned 4 point play"

- New Jersey comes down misses the shot.
- Calderon comes back and drains a three at the buzzer.
- 7 points in half a minute.
- In your face Vince Carter i'm glad you went to a team moving in the 'right' direction:lol:

Farmerbob42
02-21-2008, 06:03 PM
dixon moved for brezec, not the most exciting move but they didn't want to mess around with their contracts and dixon was doing little

vinzanity
02-21-2008, 06:12 PM
Gives us another big man to log the lane. He runs pretty well for a man his size, so all around a solid move by the mastermind.

Farmerbob42
02-21-2008, 07:17 PM
rumours he was trying to get pietrus but rebounding was more of an issue. It was a good move to get rid of fred jones and get dixon and now its a good move to get rid of dixon for brezec, ha. I think moon is what they were trying to get with jones.

b_illin
02-22-2008, 02:52 PM
I would have tried to get Gerald Green seeing as he went for so little, but I am not a NBA GM so...

Farmerbob42
02-23-2008, 12:15 AM
at least it was more exciting than last years deadline haha

secol
02-23-2008, 02:31 PM
hmm....Jamaal Magloire waived.....maybe if we didn't have Brezec.....

b_illin
03-26-2008, 11:12 AM
I love Calderon! (talk about a team player!)

Doug Smith (http://www.thestar.com/opinion/columnists/94566)
Sports Reporter

Change is coming to the Raptors starting lineup tonight.

Rasho Nesterovic and T.J. Ford are in and Andrea Bargnani and Jose Calderon are out for the struggling squad as it faces the Detroit Pistons at the Air Canada Centre.
The switch of Nesterovic for Bargnani is not a huge surprise given their play of late but changing point guards with only a dozen games left in the regular season is a big gamble and comes at the suggestion of the player being demoted.

After watching Ford struggle to find his way in a backup role, Calderon suggested – and coach Sam Mitchell agreed – that the move be made to kick-start Ford and, hopefully, the team as a whole.

Ford hasn't started a game since Dec. 12, a night when he suffered serious back and neck injuries after being clubbed to the floor by Atlanta's Al Horford.

The 25-year-old missed Toronto's next 24 games and also missed a couple of games with a strained abdominal muscle.

His play of late has been spotty, as he's found it difficult to adapt to a backup role. He's been dominating the ball on offence, trying to force himself on the game instead of simply running the offence.

Calderon, a restricted free agent at the end of the season, met with Mitchell and president Bryan Colangelo on Tuesday to discuss the switch. He sees the same things the coaches, teammates and fans do – that Ford is uncomfortable with the second unit and the team's play in deteriorating.

Toronto has won just three times in its last 14 games.

Nesterovic has proven over the last dozen games that he's worthy of being in the starting lineup. Inserted after Chris Bosh went out with a sore knee, the 31-year-old veteran averaged 13.2 points and 7.3 rebounds per game in 10 games. Overall as a starter this season, he's averaging eight points and six rebounds; he averaged four points and three rebounds coming off the bench.

Aside Bargnani's a 16-point first quarter against Denver on Sunday – the only points he scored in the game – the second-year centre has been wildly inconsistent this season.
With just 12 games left in the regular season, the Raptors are battling Washington and Philadelphia for fifth, sixth and seventh place in the Eastern Conference. Toronto takes a 35-35 record into tonight's home game.

Farmerbob42
03-26-2008, 03:53 PM
yeh i like calderon but i think ford has to be number one... would they ever play a bit together? though they dont really have another pg to do that much, but thats looked good at time

b_illin
03-26-2008, 04:57 PM
yeh i like calderon but i think ford has to be number one... would they ever play a bit together? though they dont really have another pg to do that much, but thats looked good at time

Ford (and his baby act) can kiss my fat ass. I used to like the guy, but the shit has been pulling of late has left a very sour taste in my mouth. He's gone in the Summer - BC and Sam won't stand for that shit....just watch.

(How about Ford + AP + Bargnani for Wade + Wright - DWade is unhappy in MIA, Ford, AP and Bargs would be sweet to compliment Matrix...just thinking out loud)

keyboard
03-27-2008, 04:45 PM
Hopefully Toronto keeps losing. We don't stand a chance against CLE.

Farmerbob42
03-28-2008, 05:06 PM
martin out, L johnson in

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AhfQ4IvO__eYuL2XTzvTMC.kvLYF?slug=ap-raptors-johnson&prov=ap&type=lgns

smitty42
04-15-2008, 04:27 PM
So the playoffs are set: Orlando vs. Toronto first round opening Sunday.
Regular Season: Orlando 2-1

Big's: Adv Raptors - Must control Dwight Howard and foul hard preventing dunks.
- Humphries, Nesterovic, and Brezec allow for ample fouls. Bosh will take it to the grill of all Orlando's forwards, and mabe Barn will help out... thats a big maybe.

Wingmen: Adv Orlando - Rashard Lewis and Turkoglu are threats on the court and Moon and Parker will have the task of playing these guys. Raptors must not allow both to heat up, and limit their ability to make shots. Raptors must rely on bench players Delfino and Kapono to beat Orlando's bench players Bogans, Redick, Dooling.

Point Guards: Adv Raptors - Ford and Calderon are far superior than Nelson and Arroyo. Raptors must beat these two off the bounce allowing for penetration in the lane opening up the floor for the wings to make shots. Raps will also do a better job dishing to the bigs as well have the ability to make shots and drive to the bucket.

Overall both these teams do not have much playoff experience and the matchup is good for both teams learning curve. Raps must take advantage of their point guard advantage, limit Howard and not allow both Turkoglu and Lewis to heat up if they want to win this series.

Prediction: Raptors in six or seven.

Farmerbob42
04-16-2008, 03:49 PM
what the hell happened to kapano, the big 3 threat, he completely dried up and not taking shots...

b_illin
04-17-2008, 05:54 PM
what the hell happened to kapano, the big 3 threat, he completely dried up and not taking shots...

He's isn;t getting set up - they need to run set plays that give him the chance...that and he is having a bad year

keyboard
04-18-2008, 09:54 AM
He's isn;t getting set up - they need to run set plays that give him the chance...that and he is having a bad yearI watched a video online where he could set and release a 3-pointer in .22 seconds.

moans
04-20-2008, 01:18 PM
Ford's amazing, I love how we start him over Calderon, even though we seem to play better with CAlderon. Ford's 1-9 get him the fuck out of the game.

moans
04-20-2008, 01:20 PM
ask and I shall receive. No more than 15 seconds after posting Calderon took off Ford:D.

Farmerbob42
04-20-2008, 05:05 PM
at least kapano was making some shots. but wow, nice they came back but tanked it when they were within reaching distance

two24four
04-22-2008, 01:32 PM
With the NHL playoff's on, MLB games, and the nice weather, I just cant get into much of the Raptors games right now, playoff's or no playoff's.

beely
04-23-2008, 02:33 PM
Go raps Go. i think they have to release mitchell or at least hire someone that are specialize in making plays
i think Coach sam need to use kapono more

b_illin
04-25-2008, 11:30 AM
Helluva game last night!!

keyboard
04-26-2008, 11:12 PM
Well, as much as I would like to blame the referees for this loss (the no call on Parker's basket and push off by Turkoglu in the last minutes of the game), Toronto just does not look like a team that deserves to make it past the first round.

phaneuf6
04-28-2008, 09:07 PM
And that's all she wrote.

secol
04-28-2008, 09:09 PM
wow all I really watched were the last two quarters.....and they SUCKED.....

beely
04-28-2008, 10:15 PM
they do
i think sam didn't make adjustment coming into.... any of the games
we were doing the same thing over and over and i didn't think it worked. We were lucky to win game3
we were too aggressive on certain players and gave too much space to some. I am not sure if i agree on double teaming howard all the time and i actually thought rasho did a good job defending him. Bosh could have did more int he paint. Wtf was all those fade away. Although i know we are not gonna pass 1st round but I am still disappointed of elimination. I wonder what BC will do now.

smitty42
04-29-2008, 12:22 AM
I believe this series took a toll on Bosh's body, all the beatings he took from Howard, I just feel he was mentally and physically exhausted after Saturdays performance. It was up to other players to step up.

- Barn was a joke all series and he needs to redevelop his skill in the offseason or hes gone after his rookie contract expires.

- Raptors will look to sign Calderon and maybe part ways with Ford via trade.

- Nesterovic is in the last year of his contract next year and some team may look to trade for 9 mil in cap space the following season. Parker is another potential trade option.

- Garb will return to bring some help to the forwards next year.
- Raps need to bring in a solid wingman that can light it up to ease the pressure put on Bosh. Maybe a Maggette, or Richardson.

Lots of work to do for Mr. Colangello this offseason.

b_illin
04-29-2008, 08:36 AM
They're too predictable as everyone takes jump shots. If we had a swingman who could slash and drive, that would force the defence to spread thus opening room for the shooters. BC has some work to do this off-season. I wonder if D'Antoni (?) gets canned, would BC can Mitchell to bring in his boy?

secol
04-29-2008, 09:48 AM
Another huge problem I saw wasn't just Bosh....but the Raptors were playing like it was a pickup game and never really setup at all most of the time during the second half......They would just come down use up less than 10 secs of the clock and force up some shit shots (Delfino, Kapono I remember did this)

smitty42
04-29-2008, 03:47 PM
Thats there game though, run and gun... They dont want to slow the game down.
Some games it works, but when players are not hitting shots it fails.

Secol, Raptors also went small ball the entire second half thats why you saw those shots. Parker, Kapono, Calderon, Delfino, and Bosh.

secol
04-29-2008, 04:27 PM
yeah but I mean I saw Kapono just jack up at least two random threes while closely guarded......and I see Delfino taking a rebound and running the floor before quickly jump-shooting.....IMO you just can't do that with a good rebounding team like ORL where you have to make your each possession count

b_illin
05-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Break out the salami and cheese :(

The voice of the Raptors is going silent in Toronto.
Chuck Swirsky, whose energetic broadcasting style won him legions of fans over a decade here, is leaving to become the radio play-by-play voice of the Chicago Bulls.
"It's in the best interests of my family at this point," Swirsky said this afternoon.
A tireless promoter of the sport and the team, the veteran broadcaster will continue as an afternoon host on the The FAN590 radio station "for the foreseeable future" but will be in Chicago at the start of the next NBA season.
Swirsky came to Toronto a decade ago to take over the play-by-play job with a young franchise trying to establish itself in a hockey-dominated market. He became an immediate hit with his enthusiasm and willingness to interact with fans.
He's written a blog on the team's website, makes public appearances whenever he's asked and has become as synonymous with team as just about any player.
Swirsky, who lives with his wife and three children in Burlington, became a Canadian citizen earlier this season and was touted as Chuck The Canuck by the team.
Going back to Chicago is returning Swirsky to his broadcasting roots. He worked in that market for 15 years, serving as a host on the networks of the NFL Bears and MLB Cubs. He also did play-by-play at DePaul University for a decade.
"Chuck Swirsky has been a terrific play-by-play broadcaster for the Raptors, but it was his tireless dedication to the community and his direct relationship with our fans that left an indelible mark on southern Ontario and with Raptors fans across Canada," Tom Anselmi, the chief operating officer of Maple Leaf Sports said in a release.
"There are lots of good play-by-play guys out there, but only one Chuck Swirsky. He is a big loss to our organization. His passion for basketball and passion for our fans, makes him one of the game's great ambassadors. He's leaving for the right reasons, and that's to place the needs of his family at the top of his priority list. He leaves with our support, our deepest appreciation and best wishes for the future."

http://n.thestar.com/b/ss/thestarprod/1/H.10--NS/0 (http://www.omniture.com)

http://m1.2mdn.net/1301685/1pixel.gif

two24four
05-20-2008, 09:41 PM
I saw something tonight that said the Raps might be in trade talks with the Nets for Bargnani.

moans
05-20-2008, 10:07 PM
ANy idea what we might be getting?

secol
05-20-2008, 11:47 PM
RJ? That's really the only player I see although we'd have to add a bit more

b_illin
05-21-2008, 10:18 AM
RJ? That's really the only player I see although we'd have to add a bit more

and their 1st?

two24four
05-21-2008, 12:28 PM
and their 1st?

It did not say for who or what...........but last night on all the Sports shows they say that Denver and NJ are close to a deal that would look something like this........

Denver sends

Carmelo Anthony
Marcus Camby

to

NJ for

Richard Jefferson
NJ 1st round pick (10th overall)

So I'm not sure what that would do for a Raps and NJ trade.

b_illin
05-21-2008, 02:42 PM
It did not say for who or what...........but last night on all the Sports shows they say that Denver and NJ are close to a deal that would look something like this........

Denver sends

Carmelo Anthony
Marcus Camby

to

NJ for

Richard Jefferson

That'd be a crazy deal!

secol
05-21-2008, 07:21 PM

Denver sends

Carmelo Anthony
Marcus Camby

to

NJ for

Richard Jefferson

I really don't think that deal would be ideal for DEN.....If they are trying to rebuild AI is the player to move before Melo or Camby IMO.........

b_illin
06-23-2008, 11:09 AM
http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/

Told you it was going to be a busy week of rumours and speculation and trade talk.
http://multimedia.thestar.com/images/f3/a9/5ce4aed44a37a19a9f5612fa7f72.jpeg DAVID COOPER/TORONTO STAR FILE PHOTO Adding one to make room for the other? It’s all very tentative and quite up in the air but the Raptors have already investigated the possibility of a blockbuster trade that would net them a veteran – yet expensive – NBA centre.
According to league sources, Toronto has had talks with the Indiana Pacers about acquiring 29-year-old Jermaine O’Neal for a package that would include T.J. Ford, Rasho Nestervoic and, perhaps, the 17th pick in this week’s draft.
The talks are not the point where any deal is imminent and a deal is certainly not assured but the source said the Raptors are aggressively trying to move Ford and O’Neal is one of their targets.
Toronto also still has serious interest in forward Boris Diaw of the Phoenix Suns and is in talks with at least three other teams for trades of a similar magnitude.
O’Neal is coming off an injury-riddled season in which he played just 42 games and averaged 13.6 points and 6.7 rebounds per game. The 6-11 centre has been working out in Las Vegas since just after the 2007-08 season ended and according to reports has just begun full-court work.
Obtaining O’Neal will be a huge two-year financial commitment for the Raptors. He’s due to make about $21 million (all figures U.S.) this season and $23 million in 2009-10. To make the trade work under NBA salary cap rules, Toronto would have to add some other pieces in addition to Ford and Nesterovic but they have several less expensive expiring contracts that would make it work.
But even if the O’Neal trade doesn’t materialize, it does signal just how hard the Raptors are trying to move Ford so they can hand over the starting point guard job to restricted free agent Jose Calderon.
With Phoenix still in the mix and the other teams having talks with Toronto, it would appear Bryan Colangelo will have plenty of options to sift through before Thursday’s draft.

-----------

On the one hand, O'Neal is super talented...on the other, he's a primadona, so not sure how I feel about this.

secol
06-23-2008, 03:09 PM
I don't really mind Ford + Rasho + minor X....but adding 17th overall might be a bit too much for a guy who isn't oing to play the whole year and seems to me he plays alot like Bosh?

phaneuf6
06-23-2008, 04:06 PM
I don't really mind Ford + Rasho + minor X....but adding 17th overall might be a bit too much for a guy who isn't oing to play the whole year and seems to me he plays alot like Bosh?
Whats the problem with the way Bosh plays? He's a legitimate center which Toronto has never had really.

secol
06-23-2008, 07:34 PM
Well I was hoping for a real center.....Don't get me wrong O'Neal is great when he's on his game, but I really would like that big presence and body. Not another Bosh-like player

snoopzen
06-23-2008, 08:13 PM
This would be a great trade if the Raps and Pacers could make it work.

You give up Ford (who "needs" to be a starter - mopes, sulks and negative in the dressing room if not) and you have Calderon in place at point. It would be easier to sign Calderon to an extension if Ford's not around as well.

In addition, you give up Nesterovic, with your trade target (O'Neal) replacing him.

The kicker is the draft pick, but IF O'Neal can stay healthy (big if) then you've got the inside presence/rebounding that the Raps have been looking for. That makes it worth the pick, IMO. Can't get something without giving something up.

I also see Anthony Parker on the move, by the way. I like the guy and what he brings to the table, but there's not enough room for him and guys like Kapono in the lineup as well.

secol
06-23-2008, 09:28 PM
But if you watch on youtube what O'Neal does.....he is not an inside banger/post-up guy, he plays like Bosh in that he takes the mid-range jump shot, using quickness to get to the rim and also doing fadeaways. But he just doesn't post up that well, although he would help improve our shot blocking.....

also doesn't seem like he'll be coming anyways

Talks between the Toronto Raptors (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/tor/;_ylt=AvddXw6Sbzqyp8IrT9fQehXTjdIF) and Indiana Pacers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/ind/;_ylt=AhUVKnaHy9EVkZUzb.tHyNLTjdIF) about a trade that would have included Jermaine O’Neal (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3120;_ylt=Aj_hHtkLcZviESnfNDfqhwrTjdIF) and T.J. Ford (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3711/;_ylt=Al.q3h7_vULtsxQz8T0n1KjTjdIF) fell apart on Monday afternoon, a league executive with knowledge of the negotiations said.
For the past two days, Toronto GM Bryan Colangelo had been pushing the idea of sending Ford, Rasho Nesterovic (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3260/;_ylt=AhxFpBSJDC1k.ztr53.FJn_TjdIF) and the No. 17 pick in Thursday’s draft for O’Neal. For a few hours on Monday, there was a sense that the deal was close, but ultimately concerns over the damaged state of O’Neal and Ford were too much to consummate the trade.
The Pacers were concerned about Ford’s future with his past neck injuries, but were willing to start rebuilding without O’Neal and the $44 million owed him over the next two years. O’Neal played just 42 games a year ago, because of a left knee injury.

The trade would have given Indiana the 11th and 17th picks in the draft, allowing Indiana to take a point guard and a forward. The Raptors have been one of the league’s most active teams in trying to move up in the draft, and they’ve made no secret about their desire to move Ford and make restricted free agent Jose Calderon (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3989/;_ylt=AkNtAJzDhdSKarmOjuJQlsHTjdIF) the point guard of the future.

b_illin
06-24-2008, 02:05 PM
I'm with Secol, O'Neal is too similar to Bosh and I also think he would make Bosh less effective. I also think we'd be giving up way too much for a guy who doesn't warrant the $21mm he is to be paid - just because he has a huge contract, doesn't make him worthy of such a big package (starting PG, expiring contract and a good, not great draft 1st rounder)

moans
06-25-2008, 05:34 PM
trade seems to be back on the table. You can't say another scorer on this team is a bad thing. Plus the guy can rebound, and block which is something we badly missed last year.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AvkZgEZShHwbo2vB_Bb.83M5nYcB?slug=aw-jermaineonealtraded062508&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

phaneuf6
06-25-2008, 06:28 PM
http://tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=241657&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_nba

Cool.

secol
06-25-2008, 07:01 PM
meh....including the 17th overall is too much I think.

moans
06-25-2008, 07:12 PM
I completely disagree man, Ford HAD to be moved and there were talks of him not brining much in return just a couple of weeks ago. Bringing in O'Neal will help immensely. I wonder if we've given up on Bargniani now then with this addition.

secol
06-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Well from what I read in the TSN article it sounded like Colangelo had others who were interested in Ford.....

moans
06-25-2008, 07:17 PM
Boris Diaw or Jermaine O'Nel, that's pretty much what it came down to. I really like O'Neal and what he brings. If he can camp out in the paint more we will be very solid down the middle.

moans
06-25-2008, 07:19 PM
I don't think RIP was ever an option really. If he were then I don't know why we wouldn't just do that. We need the scorer from the wing as well.

b_illin
06-25-2008, 07:22 PM
While I am still not totally sold on this deal because I think O'Neal will cramp Bosh a bit, I do like it. I like that O'Neal has shown he can be great in the past. I like that he will be motivated to earn another contract when his is up in 2 years. I like that if it doesn't work, his $22mm ticket will look mighty enticing to some teams looking for a big, fat, juicy expiring deal. I like we clear $22mm of the books in a big free agent year.

All in all, good job BC.

two24four
06-25-2008, 07:28 PM
I like this deal myself, I think it will work out, O'Neal and Bosh will be awesome together, and they had to get rid of Ford, nice deal IMO.

beely
06-25-2008, 08:21 PM
yes i too agree is a good deal
in nba, quality side is always better than the quantity side

b_illin
06-26-2008, 11:09 AM
According to league sources, Portland made an offer that included Channing Frye and Martell Webster. Both of them have contracts that expire at the end of the season but because of Toronto's long-term salary obligations, they wouldn't give the Raptors nearly the financial flexibility the O'Neal contract will when it runs out.

I'd have taken this deal myself

moans
06-26-2008, 01:45 PM
so apparently Indiana is saying its all just speculation.
http://tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=241721&lid=sublink02&lpos=headlines_main

beely
06-26-2008, 07:15 PM
oneal just confirmed himself (on tsn)
i am happy to see him ... webster and fry will not have the influence oneal will have on the raptors

ICEMAN
06-27-2008, 02:38 PM
oneal just confirmed himself (on tsn)
i am happy to see him ... webster and fry will not have the influence oneal will have on the raptors

Jer-Mine is another TJ and he wont take the physical punishment to pull down double-digit rebounds with any kind of consistency. If he averages more than 7.5 RPG I'd be pretty happy.

chgorman
07-10-2008, 09:24 AM
I, personally, love the moves the Raps are making, trading for O'Neal and resigning Jose long term. TJ was solid, but too many worries with his health, too inconsitent, seemed to be a bit of a crybaby if he didn't get the playing time he thought he should, which could've been a bit of a distraction last season. Rasho was nice to have, set a great example for the young'uns in terms of working out and was a great locker room prescence, but the Raps weren't going anywhere with him and Bargs as the top two C's on the team. Baston? Meh, don't know much about the guy, def not too upset about losing him.

Now they have two All-Star big men, an AS quality PG just coming into his prime without TJ looking over his shoulder, a great 3pt shooter in Kapono, two great all around swingmen in Parker and Delfino, a physical specimen who can contribute in numerous ways in Moon, a decent bench, and I still haven't lost complete hope for Bargs. Maybe O'Neal will be able to teach him a few things and take some of the pressure off of him. I'm pretty excited to see how this team does next year. I think a mid seed going into the playoffs in a strong possibility, and winning a playoff round or two is not out of the question at all either.

b_illin
07-10-2008, 10:16 AM
I, personally, love the moves, the Raps are making, trading for O'Neal and resigning Jose long term. TJ was solid, but too many worries with his health, too inconsitent, seemed to be a bit of a crybaby if he didn't get the playing time he thought he should, which could've been a bit of a distraction last season. Rasho was nice to have, set a great example for the young'uns in terms of working out and was a great locker room prescence, but the Raps weren't going anywhere with him and Bargs as the top two C's on the team. Baston? Meh, don't know much about the guy, def not too upset about losing him.

Now they have two All-Star big men, an AS quality PG just coming into his prime without TJ looking over his shoulder, a great 3pt shooter in Kapono, two great all around swingmen in Parker and Delfino, a physical specimen who can contribute in numerous ways in Moon, a decent bench, and I still haven't lost complete hope for Bargs. Maybe O'Neal will be able to teach him a few things and take some of the pressure off of him. I'm pretty excited to see how this team does next year. I think a mid seed going into the playoffs in a strong possibility, and winning a playoff round or two is not out of the question at all either.

I'm optimistic as well, but not as much as you are. Philly just got a lot better with Brand and Boston is already pretty good in the Division. I'd say they finish 6-7th in the East.

Also, Delfino is as good as gone.

chgorman
07-10-2008, 10:31 AM
I'm optimistic as well, but not as much as you are. Philly just got a lot better with Brand and Boston is already pretty good in the Division. I'd say they finish 6-7th in the East.

Also, Delfino is as good as gone.

Well, I'd consider the 6th seed a 'mid seed'.

Delfino is pretty much gone eh? Hadn't heard any word of that. That's too bad. Why they gettin rid of him?

b_illin
07-10-2008, 03:53 PM
From Doug Smiths Toronto Star BBall blog (which I highly recommend Chgor);

All of a sudden, we’re looking at the possibility of huge change on the Raptor roster next season.
Garbo? Gone.
The Gangster? Gone as soon as his contract expires.
Carlos? Could very well be gone if he gets a good free-agency offer.
T.J.? I’d say it’s 80-20 he’s gone in a trade?
And for a team that only had 14 guys on the roster at the end of the season, you’re looking at the possibility of five new faces, a third of the roster changing from one season to the next.
And with the prospects still around for a two-for-one or even three-for-one trade involving a package for Ford and someone making large money, there could be even more turnaround.
A good thing?
Not sure.
The problem last year was that there was little “separation” on the roster. The four swing guys – Moon, Parker, Kapono, Delfino – were at about the same level in talent. Oh, and consistency, too.
That made coaching difficult because not only didn’t Sam know which three were going to be good each night, there were quiet – very quiet – rumblings that the guys who weren’t playing thought they deserved to be playing more and those rumblings were probably right.
What good teams need and usually have is relatively clear separation between the value of guys one through, say, 10, and those occupying the 11th to 15th spots on the roster.
Man, even Juan Dixon, who was deep on the bench here, thought he deserved more time and it’s easy to argue he was right.

Basically, there were too many swingmen, someone has to go and it appears to be Delfino. They can't really afford him anyway...his inconsistency was his downfall.

That quote is not the best explanation, but I dug back a few weeks in the blog and that was the best I have found. I read it daily and I know Doug addresses that question directly regarding Delfino, so if you're bored, go into the archives.

chgorman
07-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Who the hell is 'The Gangster'?

b_illin
07-10-2008, 06:33 PM
Who the hell is 'The Gangster'?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3426

Farmerbob42
07-10-2008, 08:25 PM
i liked delfino and brezec, are they for sure gone? they'd trade players, dont they need to keep these guys? garbo gone is fine...

b_illin
07-10-2008, 09:04 PM
i liked delfino and brezec, are they for sure gone? they'd trade players, dont they need to keep these guys? garbo gone is fine...

gangster is ufa and may not even get signed again in the NBA and Delfino is restricted, but I think the Raps may pull their qualifying offer which would make him UFA and he'd either stay here or go back to Europe as he has a few good ($) offers already (in Europe). The money would be better spent on a combo guard like Mason Jr. or a Dixon Type.

Another excerpt from Smith's blog;

Big night tonight.
We should get a look at the official cap and tax numbers sometime this evening, maybe as late as midnight, and thatís going to determine more than a few salaries out there since the mid-level exception number will become official.
Itís not going to have a huge impact here but it might in one subtle way.
There is a chance, after the tax number comes out, that the Raptors withdraw their qualifying offer to Carlos Delfino, which will make him an unrestricted free agent.
(And before the hooting and hollering starts again, the Raptors ARE NOT going to re-sign him, they donít have the money, donít really want that kind of clutter on the roster again and itís not going to change).
Anyway, Iím told Delfino has had at least one very financially lucrative offer in Europe but that he wants to remain in the NBA if at all possible and there are a couple of teams sniffing around and perhaps willing to pay him close to what he wants.
Iím not sure what his salary goal is but he made about $1.8 million last year so Iíd think a three-year deal for around $7 million might be around his asking price.

chgorman
07-11-2008, 08:20 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3426

Ah, right, forgot about him, shoulda known that reference as I had heard about his love of gangsta rap and how he learned English from listening to it :lol::lol:. Or something like that.

With the season the Wings had this year, I didn't pay much attention to the Raps, or the NBA in general for that matter. Was he any good with the Raps? I did read an article praising the move for him when they got him, but didn't really hear much after that.

phaneuf6
10-31-2008, 10:51 PM
Oh baby! Was just down at the home opener and what a game! This team has huge potential. Bargagni is huge this year! If they can get their offense moving around a bit more and clean up their perimeter D they will compete for a top seed in the Conference no problem.

Great atmosphere down there tonight too, some sweet giveaways!

two24four
11-01-2008, 09:42 AM
Oh baby! Was just down at the home opener and what a game! This team has huge potential. Bargagni is huge this year! If they can get their offense moving around a bit more and clean up their perimeter D they will compete for a top seed in the Conference no problem.

Great atmosphere down there tonight too, some sweet giveaways!

We've been talking about the Raps here abit this year.....

http://forums.hockeyinformer.com/showthread.php?t=56029

I agree they are looking good this year, but I'm not going to go as far and say they will "compete for a top seed in the Conference no problem" just yet, they should come in the top 4-5 teams in the East, which is still good, but BOS, DET, CLE and the Magic (even though they are off to an 0-2 record to start the season) are all still very good teams as well, dont get me wrong, it would be great if they got that 1st seed in the East, but it wont come easy.

b_illin
11-02-2008, 12:41 PM
They're looking pretty good so far....close games granted. JO seems like the happiest guy on the planet right now! He brings a great energy/swagger to the team. I am still worried about the lack of quality depth, but let's worry about that later! (although I'm not sure how long Jose can play 40+ minutes before he gets really run down)

two24four
11-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Like I said in the other thread, 3-0 baby, last night was a good night to be a Toronto sports fan :beer:

1st real test comes Wenesday vs DET.

mike550
11-02-2008, 06:03 PM
Yeah Wednesday at Detroit will be a tough one, good measuring stick for the team for sure. 4-0 would be freaking sweeeet!

Farmerbob42
11-02-2008, 07:50 PM
yeh, ukic isn't gonna provide the depth they need. if they need too hopefully they acquire a more suitable backup pg

smitty42
11-03-2008, 02:58 PM
Who knows who will be in the lineup for Detroit... either Billups, Iverson or maybe none if the transaction just went through.

two24four
11-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Well 1st big test tonight with DET and AI, should be a great game no matter what.

Edit: Just read that AI is in town, but they dont know yet if he will play or not.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/2008/11/05/raptors_preview/

phaneuf6
11-05-2008, 09:51 PM
First loss of the season. Didn't see the game but looks from the boxscore just like some poor shooting. Kapono 2 points in 22 minutes, ouch.

two24four
11-05-2008, 09:53 PM
At one point they where down by 16 Pts, O'Neal got into some foul probs early on as well.

Good games from Bosh and Jose again.

DET is going to be sick with AI IMO.

b_illin
11-05-2008, 11:01 PM
At one point they where down by 16 Pts, O'Neal got into some foul probs early on as well.

Good games from Bosh and Jose again.

DET is going to be sick with AI IMO.

Totally. they kept Toronto down most of the night and wouldn't let the Raps catch up totally...they'd get close and then DET would put the lock down.

I wish we had Tayshaun Prince!

Farmerbob42
11-06-2008, 08:21 PM
if kapano hadnt been throwing bricks all night.... But yeh, i think they still need someone a little better than moon, he was a great depth guy but shouldn't be starting, kinda what they were hoping fred jones would bring. at least bargs is doing ok

two24four
11-09-2008, 09:55 PM
I did not catch any of the game today as it was on at 1:00pm, which is a bad time on Sunday's to start with, even more so when you're fav football team is playing ;):D why does any other sport book games head to head with the NFL on Sunday's, I mean it's one day of the week, it's just not smart IMO, Sunday's are for football, once the SB is over in FEB go right ahead, book games on Sunday's.

Looks like Bosh had a big game, 30 Pts 15 REB's, 3 assists, he's been on fire to start the season, hope he can keep this up, I think he really likes having O'Neal in town.

Big game tomorrow night in Boston, big test.

b_illin
11-09-2008, 10:55 PM
I watched it. The Bobcats looked better in the 1st half, but Bosh led the troops in the late 3rd and 4th where the Raps pulled away for good and didn't look back.

Tomorrow will be the real test.

b_illin
11-12-2008, 10:19 PM
Bargnani looked great tonight. Moon/Graham/Kapono aren't getting it done - I think they need to deal for a better SG or SF (no shit, eh b_illin...duh?!?). I wonder if Kapono with Graham (roughly $10mm) would get us a decent one...maybe throw in our 1st as well. Harrington is one possibility I have read about and apparently Gerald Wallace is available. I wonder who else might be able who would fit the bill?

two24four
11-13-2008, 02:02 AM
Bargnani looked great tonight. Moon/Graham/Kapono aren't getting it done - I think they need to deal for a better SG or SF (no shit, eh b_illin...duh?!?). I wonder if Kapono with Graham (roughly $10mm) would get us a decent one...maybe throw in our 1st as well. Harrington is one possibility I have read about and apparently Gerald Wallace is available. I wonder who else might be able who would fit the bill?

I agree, Bargnani looked awesome tonight, he was doing everything, getting REB's, blocking shots, hitting some nice shots, and he danced around Evans I think it was and went up and made that huge slam, if not for our 3 big men ( Bargnani, Bosh, O' Neal) this game would have been even worse then it was, I dont think I have ever said this before, but Parker looked like shit tonight.

I have also heard Herrington and Wallace might be available, but I also heard teams are asking for Bargnani, I dont think they want to deal him.

Losing Jose hurts as well, let's hope he's not out long, the good news is they are off till Sunday now.

Farmerbob42
11-16-2008, 10:59 PM
great game, especially with calderon out... though it might have been more so miam's complete collaspe in the 4th... but oh well

b_illin
11-20-2008, 11:46 AM
Bargnani is looking good...not great, but very solid with upside.

I really wish we had Wade somehow.

Farmerbob42
11-20-2008, 05:20 PM
o rly?

two24four
11-21-2008, 02:40 PM

Wont be seeeing Harrington with Raps now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3717209

Farmerbob42
11-21-2008, 08:42 PM
yeh why isn't kapano shooting more 3s? he was brutal last year. and graham isnt getting it done, too bad

two24four
11-21-2008, 10:09 PM
Wow what a game that was tonight, tough way to lose.

FU VC :D

Another huge game by Bosh tonight, 42 Pts, hope O'Neal is not out long, that did not look to good when it happend.

b_illin
11-24-2008, 04:45 PM
Kevin Garnett, who had an easy day playing 28 minutes, said he could sense Bosh's frustration.

"I don't know the situation here or what he's going through but tonight he looked pretty frustrated," said Garnett. "When you're a good player and trying to be better, trying to be one of the premiers in this league, trying to set your mark, you want the help around you. He has to make a decision on whether he wants to be here."

--------------------------

KG can mind his own fucking business! Who the fuck does he think he is saying shit like that. Fucking prick.

two24four
11-25-2008, 01:28 AM
Kevin Garnett, who had an easy day playing 28 minutes, said he could sense Bosh's frustration.

"I don't know the situation here or what he's going through but tonight he looked pretty frustrated," said Garnett. "When you're a good player and trying to be better, trying to be one of the premiers in this league, trying to set your mark, you want the help around you. He has to make a decision on whether he wants to be here."

--------------------------

KG can mind his own fucking business! Who the fuck does he think he is saying shit like that. Fucking prick.

It's KG what do you want, he loves talking shit.

But you do have to wonder after next season when Bosh's contract is up if the Raps dont get any better if he will bolt, you could tell Bosh was very frustrated yesterday vs Boston. He's been putting up 25+ Pts pretty much every game, in fact he's 3rd in the league in PPG with 26.7 Pts a game, only behind James and Wade, he's also 6th in RPG at 10.5 a game.

He's put up 40+ Pts twise this season, and both times the Raps lost, he's playing like an MVP so far this season busting his balls and yet they are only 6-7, I know it's real early still, and things can change fast (I hope) but everyone thought they would be top 4 in the East this season.

I dont want to see Bosh leave at all, I really hope he signs another long term deal soon, but let's be real as well, NY and other teams are going to have some big $$$$ to throw around come 2010 when he along with James etc... are FA's.

two24four
11-27-2008, 02:13 AM
Bosh is a beast.

MVP, MVP, MVP......:D

b_illin
11-27-2008, 10:26 AM
Bargnani looked really good too even thought he didn't score much. I wish Joey could play like this every night.

While Bosh is a team-first guy, his growing confidence scares me...I could see him getting cocky at some point...the kind of cocky that thinks he's too good or too big a star for Toronto. I hope not....I hope we resign Bosh AND sign Wade....then win a few titles!

two24four
11-27-2008, 12:18 PM
Bargnani looked really good too even thought he didn't score much. I wish Joey could play like this every night.

While Bosh is a team-first guy, his growing confidence scares me...I could see him getting cocky at some point...the kind of cocky that thinks he's too good or too big a star for Toronto. I hope not....I hope we resign Bosh AND sign Wade....then win a few titles!

That would be sweet, but dont count on it.

NY is planning on taking a run a some big name FA's in 2010, it's well knowen they want James and he loves playing there, I could see Wade maybe signing with NY as well not after James as he's also a FA in '10, and they are good friends, I could also see Wade heading out west to play for a team like the Lakers.

Raps need to worry about re-signing Bosh 1st before anything else, cause if he leaves in '10, then know one will want to come play for the Raps.

beely
12-03-2008, 05:23 PM
Finally BC has decided to fire Sam
I never thought he was a good coach. He might be motivational but his technical knowledgeable in the game is clearly lacking in most parts of his young coaching career. I never understood why after 3 years, the raptors are still running the same type of offense (pick on top) and nothing more. I never understand why they always play bosh at the high key when clearly he will never be able to out dribble anyone. Anyways.. So long Sam!!!!!!!!

and yea, i wasn't happy when Sam got the extension

here is the news
http://tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=258296&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_main

two24four
12-03-2008, 05:48 PM
I kind of thought this was coming after last nights game, if you saw the interveiw with Sam after the game, he was not himself, it was like he knew it was coming....wonder who comes in now as the next head coach.

Edit: Jeff Van Gundy is out there.

b_illin
12-04-2008, 09:29 AM
I kind of thought this was coming after last nights game, if you saw the interveiw with Sam after the game, he was not himself, it was like he knew it was coming....wonder who comes in now as the next head coach.

Edit: Jeff Van Gundy is out there.

I really think JVG would be great for the Raps -- good thinking two24four

From yesterdays Doug Smith blog;

Okay, here we go:

Q: Hi Doug, just wanted to get your opinion. I wrote you when the Raps were 4-4, and asked for your opinion on changing Sam with JVG or Avery if the Raps don't go 12-8 after the first 20 games. Do you think it's time to bring in someone who knows how to go deep in the post season and win the big games? Patrick C, Mississauga

A: No, itís not time to fire the coach. As Iíve made pretty obvious a few times. But let me go over this whole issue one more time.

Any unemployed experienced coach, and by that I mean the likes of Eddie Jordan, Avery Johnson, Flip Saunders, Jeff Van Gundy (the guys everyone wants to come riding in on a white horse) are not going to take a job midway through the season. Thereís two over-riding reasons:

They are not going to get the four- or five-year deals they want in the middle of a year because no general manager worth his salt wouldnít wait and see just who was available at the end of a season to keep his options open.

And why would one of those guys rush to take a job in December or January when they could wait until June and have a chance at five or six openings that are likely to be there.

So, please, please, please, pass this on to all your friends. There is about a one-millionth of one per cent chance anyone with a profile will take this job right now.

http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/

Farmerbob42
12-04-2008, 05:19 PM
i never really liked mitchell. I think he'd be a better assistant coach, doing his motivational jazz, but oh well. Didnt really see it coming this early but not overlly surprised.

two24four
12-06-2008, 02:11 AM
:blah:

b_illin
12-06-2008, 09:03 AM
expect a trade...only other way BC can shake things up

moans
12-06-2008, 09:53 AM
I heard he tried that before canning Sam.

two24four
12-06-2008, 11:42 AM
O'Neal hurt himself again last night as well, this might be what we get from him all season.

secol
12-06-2008, 12:04 PM
O'Neal hurt himself again last night as well, this might be what we get from him all season.
not really a surprise though :(

two24four
12-06-2008, 12:07 PM
not really a surprise though :(

No, but he looked great for the 1st few weeks.

b_illin
12-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Yeah, he does have a shitty injury history. O'Neal was more about the cap space that would open in '10 (I would think so they could tell Bosh to recruit whoever he wants - fingers crossed) as it was his abilities....don;t get me wrong, they were hoping for a decent baller, but nobody expects his past level of play.

I for one hope he can stay healthy. I'd love to see him play well, then allow us to sign him for like $6mm when he is a FA in '10 (along the lines that he likes it here and with another marquee player who we could potentially get with his $22mm/yr salary of the books, so there would hopefully be a good chance to win)

two24four
12-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Damn, what a heart breaker that was today, they had this game.

secol
12-07-2008, 07:32 PM
well at least o'neal did good.....

two24four
12-08-2008, 12:30 AM
well at least o'neal did good.....

He was awesome today, if he can play like that every game and stay healthy they will be ok, well they should be anyways.

dw13
12-08-2008, 12:49 AM
From what I saw on ESPN in the Utah vs. Raptors game... offense really isn't a problem. Its that absoltely abismal defense.. might be bottom 5 in the league.

two24four
12-08-2008, 12:59 AM
From what I saw on ESPN in the Utah vs. Raptors game... offense really isn't a problem. Its that absoltely abismal defense.. might be bottom 5 in the league.

It's true, the defence sucks so far this season for the most part, the Utah game was bad, but you should have watched the Denver game, needless to say Sammy was canned the next day.

There has to be a trade coming soon I would think.

b_illin
12-08-2008, 11:21 AM
Yeah. they were like 10th in team DEF last year and 25th this year! Yowsa!!

Farmerbob42
12-10-2008, 11:36 AM
lebron looked like he was just toying with them all game.

two24four
12-10-2008, 12:34 PM
lebron looked like he was just toying with them all game.

Like someone said last night, the Raps right now look like a D league team.

secol
12-11-2008, 11:39 AM
kapono looked pretty good last night.....

two24four
12-11-2008, 01:15 PM
kapono looked pretty good last night.....

Yes he did, very good game, I have heard he could be traded this season as well, so maybe his value just went up.

Farmerbob42
12-11-2008, 05:25 PM
i think i like him better than parker. but i know he's kinda the d guy on the starting 5 but their d sucks anyway so might as well try to score as much as possible

secol
12-11-2008, 06:45 PM
i think i like him better than parker. but i know he's kinda the d guy on the starting 5 but their d sucks anyway so might as well try to score as much as possible
i don't think kapono is that good on d, i like his array of offensive weapons (noticed that he has more than just a three point specialist now. saw a few sky hooks, running hooks, mid range jumpers, along with his usual easy stroke from 3)

Farmerbob42
12-11-2008, 07:43 PM
i know he sucks on d, but then so do the raptors as a whole, and they aren't getting better, so why not just go with trying to outscore opponenets, which would be kapono over parker. im saying i know parker is the d guy on the starting 5 but kapono looked good enough to give him more looks than parker. They really are short a decent starter though.

secol
12-11-2008, 08:50 PM
oh ok, i get it......i thought you were saying kapono was the d guy in the starting 5 lol

dw13
12-12-2008, 11:40 PM
Didn't see the game but saw Carter went 0-13. Nice D? :D

two24four
12-13-2008, 12:11 AM
Didn't see the game but saw Carter went 0-13. Nice D? :D

I only saw some of the game as the Leafs played at the same time tonight, but I know going in alot was made about Carter coming into Toronto a few weeks ago and winning the game pretty much on his own, I think they wanted to shut him down tonight, which as you can see they did in a big way.

Two wins a row now :D

Joey Graham has been looking good ever since they got rid of Sammy.

dw13
12-13-2008, 12:18 AM
I only saw some of the game as the Leafs played at the same time tonight, but I know going in alot was made about Carter coming into Toronto a few weeks ago and winning the game pretty much on his own, I think they wanted to shut him down tonight, which as you can see they did in a big way.

Two wins a row now now :D

I've loved Graham since his days at Oklahoma State, with his brother and John Lucas Jr. He is a tough player.

keys2aFranchise
12-13-2008, 12:23 AM

I am not a huge basketball fan, but he has really impressed me lately also.

two24four
12-13-2008, 12:25 AM
I am not a huge basketball fan, but he has really impressed me lately also.

I really think it was Sam Mitchell holding him back or something, he must not have liked Graham, cause Graham has been playing some good B-Ball since Sam left.

dw13
12-13-2008, 01:25 AM
I really think it was Sam Mitchell holding him back or something, he must not have liked Graham, cause Graham has been playing some good B-Ball since Sam left.

Yeah Graham is a gritty player. Tough to see how good he is, he might be undersized but makes up for it in hustle.

secol
12-13-2008, 09:12 AM
i just love graham's size....the guy looks like a football player and he can post up and drive the ball.....only thing he needs to work on are his 3 point shots and mid range jumper.....i'm pretty sure we had him guarding harris at one point as well as a SF (might have saw him guarding a PF too?) later in the game

Farmerbob42
12-13-2008, 12:10 PM
loved watching carter suck haha. and yeh raptors were playing good d, they just had their own offensive problems early in the game, this could have been a huge blowout early otherwise. kapano had some troubles, but i like that he's not just a 3pt guy anymore

b_illin
12-13-2008, 06:45 PM
It is nice to see him playing decent, but I wish they had picked Granger as had been speculated that they would, but they balked at the last minute because of his knee issues in college and decided to go with Graham because he is a workout beast (shows good in workouts, but doesn't translate as well to the real game)

Imagine how sick the Raps would be with him? or without wasting the Arraujo pick. Fuck.

secol
12-13-2008, 09:41 PM
It is nice to see him playing decent, but I wish they had picked Granger as had been speculated that they would, but they balked at the last minute because of his knee issues in college and decided to go with Graham because he is a workout beast (shows good in workouts, but doesn't translate as well to the real game)

Imagine how sick the Raps would be with him? or without wasting the Arraujo pick. Fuck.
ah well hindsight it 20/20 hehe.....

b_illin
12-14-2008, 01:25 PM
ah well hindsight it 20/20 hehe.....

Yeah, but I can honestly say I remember being upset they didn't pick Granger....I had read a tonne of little bios and decided I liked him best of who'd be available.

I hope Joey can become a 12 and 8 kinda guy! (I'd take it)

moans
12-14-2008, 01:31 PM
Yeah, but I can honestly say I remember being upset they didn't pick Granger....I had read a tonne of little bios and decided I liked him best of who'd be available.

I hope Joey can become a 12 and 8 kinda guy! (I'd take it)

I was in that boat as well. I remember watching some videos of him just dominating high school ball. We should have taken the risk. Ah well, hopefully JG can finally pan out.

Farmerbob42
12-14-2008, 04:33 PM
i hope they hang onto a first this year. maybe look for a pg... has a team ever succeeded with 2 euro pgs? once the color guy was even saying that having a starting euro pg doesn't usually work.. hmm

b_illin
12-14-2008, 09:51 PM
i hope they hang onto a first this year. maybe look for a pg... has a team ever succeeded with 2 euro pgs? once the color guy was even saying that having a starting euro pg doesn't usually work.. hmm

I like Roko though...he's played well in the limited minutes they give him. They say he's as good as Jose was after his first dozen or so games.

We need a 2/3 wing who fucking drives the net and doesn't settle for a jumper....who can hopefully play some D as well. There is room for one of Moon/Graham in my eyes unless Moon stops settling for long jumpers we all know he isn't going to make and start driving and making plays or foul calls.

Farmerbob42
12-16-2008, 12:38 AM
yeh, moon has lost the thing that got him to the nba it seems. maybe all he wanted to do was make it and now he's become complacent, who knows. Im not saying ukic isn't bad, but i think they need either a veteran NA guy at pg or something to solidify the 2nd unit, so maybe drafting a pg is not required. They keep trying to find a guy like you suggested, i guess starting with fred jones and never really found him. I dont think just bringing in euro talent is the answer, which seems like always the first option for management.

two24four
12-16-2008, 12:46 AM
BC loves signing euro's that's for sure, sometimes alittle to much, but I guess when your asst. GM is from Italy things wont be changing soon.

Another loss to NJ tonight at home, VC with another big game in Toronto as well.

dw13
12-16-2008, 01:11 AM
I bet you Raps fans are pissed Mitchell got fired in the season instead of in the offseason so you guys coulda gotten D'Antoni.

two24four
12-16-2008, 01:17 AM
I bet you Raps fans are pissed Mitchell got fired in the season instead of in the offseason so you guys coulda gotten D'Antoni.

That was brought up on one of the radio channels around here the night he was fired, cause it's well knowen D'Antoni is BC's boy. Oh well nothing we can do now, they are being smart though and waiting to name a full time head coach till this next off season, then they will have a look and see who's around then, gives them more time to pick the right guy as well.

dw13
12-16-2008, 01:18 AM
I agree with what they are doing to this point with the coaching change in waiting til next season.

yorky15
12-16-2008, 02:59 PM

We drafted Arujo 8th, Philadelphia drafted Iguodala 9th. :dead:
He could of been our athletic winger we needed

two24four
12-16-2008, 03:19 PM
Arujo might have been the worst pick in NBA history.

b_illin
12-16-2008, 04:18 PM
We drafted Arujo 8th, Philadelphia drafted Iguodala 9th. :dead:
He could of been our athletic winger we needed

Don't remind me...thanks Rob Babcock!

secol
12-16-2008, 04:40 PM
Arujo might have been the worst pick in NBA history.
DARKO!!! lol

yorky15
12-16-2008, 05:27 PM
Thank god we had Grunwald running the show in the 03 class. Babcock probably would have grabbed Hinrich or Kaman with the 4th pick and let Bosh and Wade Slide.

Farmerbob42
12-17-2008, 12:48 PM
anyone know why charlotte had their 2007 1st round pick? charlotte picked dudely

two24four
12-17-2008, 01:28 PM
anyone know why charlotte had their 2007 1st round pick? charlotte picked dudely

The Raps traded that pick to Cleavland for Lamond Murray back in 2002, Cleavland then traded that pick to Charlotte.

Very bad trade.

moans
12-17-2008, 01:58 PM
hey Babcock wasn't all bad, he did sign Jose Calderon.

two24four
12-17-2008, 02:31 PM
hey Babcock wasn't all bad, he did sign Jose Calderon.

That trade with CLE was not Babcock, it was Grunwald.

secol
12-17-2008, 04:06 PM
Marcus Williams could be on the verge of being cut by the Warriors.
The team has to make an unbalanced trade (2-for-1, 3-for-2, etc.) or cut a player by Thursday morning in order to make room on the roster for Monta Ellis, who is set to come off the suspended list (for the record, Ellis coming off the suspended list is not to be confused with Ellis returning from injury). As for Williams, he has fallen completely out of favor in Golden State, but could potentially find some fantasy value if he's cut and catches on elsewhere. if he gets cut, i hope raptors will try to get him......he was pretty good at times in nj and having him back up calderon while ukic gets some more experience would be good

b_illin
12-17-2008, 11:01 PM
if he gets cut, i hope raptors will try to get him......he was pretty good at times in nj and having him back up calderon while ukic gets some more experience would be good

Totally, I'd love to get Williams, he was awesome at CONN! Wow, I'm excited even though it won't happen!!

two24four
12-17-2008, 11:54 PM
This team has got worse since they canned Sammy, they are 2-6 now since, Bosh's numbers have gone down as well since, he had a rough game tonight, 6-20 shooting, 12 Pts.

3rd loss in a row at home tonight.

dw13
12-18-2008, 12:11 AM
Totally, I'd love to get Williams, he was awesome at CONN! Wow, I'm excited even though it won't happen!!

He was awesome at stealing laptops from the School. Marcus Williams is a complete chump, I hope he has to go play overseas, which he won't because he has some sort of talent.

If I ever go to a game where Marcus Williams will be on the bench, I will have a sign that just says "LAPTOP WILLIAMS"

secol
12-18-2008, 12:18 AM
This team has got worse since they canned Sammy, they are 2-6 now since, Bosh's numbers have gone down as well since, he had a rough game tonight, 6-20 shooting, 12 Pts.

3rd loss in a row at home tonight.
he missed an easy dunk too :wtf:.....summed up his night pretty much lol

b_illin
12-18-2008, 12:28 AM
He was awesome at stealing laptops from the School. Marcus Williams is a complete chump, I hope he has to go play overseas, which he won't because he has some sort of talent.

If I ever go to a game where Marcus Williams will be on the bench, I will have a sign that just says "LAPTOP WILLIAMS"

he's still a good player...he was expected to be a top 10 until the laptop stuff lowered his stock

dw13
12-18-2008, 12:30 AM
he's still a good player...he was expected to be a top 10 until the laptop stuff lowered his stock

He has a bit of talent, nothing special though. I like Ukic for you guys, not a bad player.. still young and he is a better defensive player.

two24four
12-18-2008, 12:36 AM
Yeah Ukic is not bad at all, with more time he should only get better, nice little backup for Jose.

secol
12-18-2008, 11:09 AM
doesn't look like Williams will be the one who they cut now.....too bad

Farmerbob42
12-18-2008, 11:33 AM
ha, i didnt even notice until now they signed voskuhl. I remember him from phoenix when they had so little depth it was hiliarious when they got to play. so ooo good, that'll save the raptors.

moans
12-18-2008, 09:18 PM
hey it's better than the Gangster at least.

b_illin
12-19-2008, 02:40 PM
Would anyone trade Bosh?

(I don't ask this in an 'over-reaction to their shit play of late' way, I mean if we can loot a team like Portland or Atlanta or Minnesota that is loaded with youth...where we could get 3 good young starters for Bosh)

I'd be tempted for the right deal. Every week that goes by I feel less and less confident that Bosh will resign. He's gotten cocky. He seems to be a little big for his britches this season. Better to be proactive than reactive? I don't know...but I think about it!

two24four
12-19-2008, 03:34 PM
Not this season no. We still have him next season as well, if things dont get better next season, and it looks like he wont resign here, then sure, but not this season.

I dont think he sounds cocky at all b_, every time I see him talking on TV he seems really cool, and joking around alot, even after games when the Raps lose bad he seems upset they lost, but never cocky, at least IMO anyways, I always thought he was very humble.

b_illin
12-19-2008, 03:46 PM
Not this season no. We still have him next season as well, if things dont get better next season, and it looks like he wont resign here, then sure, but not this season.

I dont think he sounds cocky at all b_, every time I see him talking on TV he seems really cool, and joking around alot, even after games when the Raps lose bad he seems upset they lost, but never cocky, at least IMO anyways, I always thought he was very humble.

I found his reaction to getting boo'ed the other night to be ridiculous - you and the team are sucking nuts and you blew a 13 pt lead, that's why you're being boo'ed.

I will agree he is not cocky like other NBA'ers, but for Chris Bosh, he is. I think he listened too much to everyone after his performance in the Olympics and that hype grew after his hot start to the season.

Like I said though, it's more a feeling I have then anything I can point to as evidence.

secol
12-19-2008, 10:09 PM
what a surprise....o'neal is hurt again (sore shoulder)

two24four
12-20-2008, 01:02 AM
Even better, they lose to the Thunder, only there 3rd win this season :rolleyes::blah:

Farmerbob42
12-20-2008, 12:01 PM
eish, glad i didnt watch that game. do you think they are gonna break apart the team? they dont really have much they can trade or that they should trade though i would think. It either young guys or guys who have little value

b_illin
12-20-2008, 01:03 PM
I'd like to see them deal Bargs for a good SF winger, then trade AP and ??? for a solid, if unspectacular PF/C. Bargs may still be a solid player, but I don't see him ever becoming a stud...he's our most tradeable asset after Bosh and Jose (who i doubt they want to deal). JO however is treadeable (it was mentioned he wasn't) - lots of teams gearing up for the FA splash of '10 would drool to have $22mm coming off the books after the '09/'10 season.

moans
12-23-2008, 03:39 AM
holy fuck we've hit rock bottom, last in this weeks power rankings
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/BDL-NBA-Power-Rankings-Tis-the-season-to-be-ra;_ylt=Ap8qyAe9TAsZOyJ38qj2SVk5nYcB?urn=nba,13057 7

secol
12-23-2008, 02:17 PM
at least we managed to scrape out a win against a non-existent clippers frontcourt, but it's a start

b_illin
12-23-2008, 02:23 PM
holy fuck we've hit rock bottom, last in this weeks power rankings
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/BDL-NBA-Power-Rankings-Tis-the-season-to-be-ra;_ylt=Ap8qyAe9TAsZOyJ38qj2SVk5nYcB?urn=nba,13057 7

that's just stupid....they are bad, but come on, last place. They may be in a funk, but I am 100% sure they will not have the worst record in the league come season's end....not do they now either (nor over the last month, etc.)

smitty42
12-23-2008, 03:01 PM
This is a better ranking of where the raptors stand, never trust yahoo ever for power rankings.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/powerranking?season=2009&week=8&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab4pos1

b_illin
12-23-2008, 03:51 PM
You know what, I'd kinda like to suck ass this season. This isn't the year we go deep in the playoffs in my eyes, so why not get a top 10 pick and hopefully that winger who slashes and drives that we so desperately need!

moans
12-23-2008, 04:28 PM
anyone have any idea about what the draft is supposed to be like this year?

b_illin
12-23-2008, 06:03 PM
Not much at the positions we need it seems (I just googled 2009 nba draft....I'd post the results, but it's all rando sites, so best let you do it yourselves)

dw13
12-23-2008, 06:09 PM
Get a top3-5 pick and go get James Harden. Kid is an absolute stud. But you guys might be in the region of a Raymar Morgan, Sam Young or Tyler Smith.

dw13
12-23-2008, 06:11 PM
Also, if you don't draft one until the second round. Remember the name Jermaine Taylor. Plays at UCF and is an absolute stud. Doesn't play top notch talent but has the complete game. When I was at UCF, I was good friends with the coaching staff and JT and he is a great player. Can jump out the roof, has a reliable midrange game and can hit from deep.

b_illin
12-23-2008, 06:16 PM
Get a top3-5 pick and go get James Harden. Kid is an absolute stud. But you guys might be in the region of a Raymar Morgan, Sam Young or Tyler Smith.

yeah, i don't see us getting a top 5 pick...5-15 there aren't any special 2/3's...although who knows what happens....season is just beginning basically

b_illin
12-29-2008, 03:36 PM
Read a blurb that BC is trying to get Joe Smith from the Thunder...would help, but we more than Joe Smith....like Josh Smith!

secol
12-30-2008, 12:56 AM
haha fat chance.....joe smith would help on the boards i guess, he isn't much of a blocker unfortunately

b_illin
12-30-2008, 03:13 PM
Seriously, ATL won't let him go...too bad too as he is exactly what we need in my eyes (a young athletic wing who rebounds, blocks and drives)

secol
12-30-2008, 03:31 PM
well jamrio moon can be a poor man's version of josh smith if he stops taking the shitty jump shots........

b_illin
12-30-2008, 05:25 PM
well jamrio moon can be a poor man's version of josh smith if he stops taking the shitty jump shots........

Big IF :\

secol
12-30-2008, 08:09 PM
indeed......on another note moon is one of my favorite players to use in nba 2k9

b_illin
12-30-2008, 08:39 PM
don't get me wrong, I like Jamario...he's just so frustrating to watch. I don't understand why he can't figure out that he is there to drive and be around the net...we don't need a deep-shooter at SF, we need someone to block, grab boards and drive (=fouls)...FUCK!

secol
12-30-2008, 09:51 PM
don't get me wrong, I like Jamario...he's just so frustrating to watch. I don't understand why he can't figure out that he is there to drive and be around the net...we don't need a deep-shooter at SF, we need someone to block, grab boards and drive (=fouls)...FUCK!
could you imagine? bosh+o'neal inside scoring threats, moon driving and dishing if d collpases, kapono knocking down 3's, calderon doing a little bit of everything (3's, driving, dishing), bargnani to back up PF/SF quick scoring punch, grahame at SG/SF for energy (mini-moon with post-up game), parker for extra defense and 3's off bench.:drool:.......was a good daydream while it lasted :(

b_illin
01-02-2009, 09:13 PM
Fuck you Rogers & TSN2

dw13
01-02-2009, 11:56 PM
This is the only basketball thread so I'll post it here..

James Harden absolutely amazes me. The kid has such a great basketball mind to go with his awesome talent.

secol
01-03-2009, 09:51 PM
wow.....who was last night's bargnani? lol.....solomon stepped up pretty nice as well.....i was hoping that one of or both artest/tmac would be out against the raptors, instead they are both out tonight lol

two24four
01-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Trade rumour:

To Dallas: Bargnani and Parker

To Toronto: Josh Howard and maybe one of Diop or Wright.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/2009/01/07/raptors_preview/

dw13
01-08-2009, 12:48 AM
Don't like it. Howard is a punk, and Bargnani has been pretty solid and has potential. I didn't read the article but I can't see that trade happening.

two24four
01-08-2009, 01:38 AM
Don't like it. Howard is a punk, and Bargnani has been pretty solid and has potential. I didn't read the article but I can't see that trade happening.

You know what, I agree, as much as this team may need to make a trade, I dont think this is the one they need to make, I dont think I want to see Howard with the Raps, and like you said Bargs is playing some good ball the last little while, real good, maybe at least keep him for awhile and if they really do want to trade him let his stock keep going up like it has been. Howard I dont think is someone they need in the dressing room, but then again maybe a change in teams is just what Howard needs, who know's, I still dont think they should make this trade thou.

b_illin
01-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Bargs is playing some good ball of late - he seems to finally be 'getting it' in that he is just playing and not worrying so much.

Ukic seems to be growing substantially every game he gets significant playing time - his potential excites me.

Joey G has been a different player with Triano which is nice to see.

I'd like to see them get;

- a veteran backup PG to play 10 mins - I love Roko but if we are a playoff team, we need a stable backup PG

if we aren't going to push hard for the playoffs (not necessarily a bad idea...maybe just sneak in an get a decent draft pick), then I'd like to see something like AP for a guy like Hakeem Warrick on MEM - he can't shoot a lick outside of 16ft. so he drives the hoop and he also plays solid DEF...call me crazy, but that's exactly what we need! (maybe we can throw Moon & Salomon in with AP and get a decent backup PG as well)

two24four
01-13-2009, 01:07 PM
haha, anyone hear Jack Armstrong going on last night about how he would would love to see the Raps and BOS meet in the playoffs this year, the Raps just went 0-4 vs them on the season, and it always seems they find a way to lose to BOS, we would be lucky to push it to 5 games I thnk.

Farmerbob42
01-14-2009, 07:12 PM
i think maybe just from the entertainment value probably

b_illin
01-16-2009, 10:52 AM
Good lord I hope this stays a rumour because I think we'd get ripped!

Sam Smith of Bulls.com (and formerly of the Chicago Tribune) talked about the possibility of the Phoenix Suns (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/pho/) trading Steve Nash (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3103/) to the Toronto Raptors (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/tor/) in his Bulls blog on Monday.
The deal looks like this: The Suns trade Nash, Leandro Barbosa (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3731/) and Robin Lopez (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4477/) for Jose Calderon (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3989/), Andrea Bargnani (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4129/), Anthony Parker (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3171/), Jason Kapono (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3734/) and possibly Jamario Moon (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4342/) as cap filler.
The trade itself doesn't seem too lopsided, but it would mean the Suns are giving up on a championship run just as things are coming together. Phoenix is 8-3 since the Jason Richardson (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3515/) trade, including buzzer-beating losses to the Spurs and Pacers, and a barnburner in Portland. Giving up Nash would end this era and put Phoenix into rebuilding mode. That's something the Suns' brass doesn't want to do yet, especially considering how well Shaq is playing.
There are bound to be rumors galore floating around, especially as the trading deadline approaches, but this is one I wouldn't give much credence. Phoenix has to let this roster jell, and Steve Kerr knows that. But if the Suns suffer another first-round exit in the playoffs, next year is when things will get very interesting.

secol
01-16-2009, 12:15 PM
dunno if the trade is that bad, we'd be losing some youth for sure......but a starting 5 of nash, barbosa, grahame, bosh, o'neal isn't too bad.

also.....

Andrea Bargnani was given a vote of confidence by former starter Jermaine O'Neal (knee), who on Thursday told the Toronto Star he felt that Bargnani should continue to start.
This is great news for Bargnani's owners, who have ridden a huge wave of production since he replaced O'Neal. The concern has been that Bargnani would have to give the job back when O'Neal returned, and while conventional wisdom would dictate that Bargnani keeps the job, O'Neal's willingness to come off the bench has been seen as a roadblock to that.

Farmerbob42
01-16-2009, 01:14 PM
yeh, giving up a lot of youth for older guys when they dont really have what it takes at the moment to get back into contention, plus losing bargs whos been doing really well lately

two24four
01-16-2009, 01:23 PM
I've always wanted to see Nash play for the Raps one day, but not at that cost, there bench would be BAD after that trade. Plus the way Bargnani is playing now, I'm not so sure trading him is the right idea now, let's at least keep him for abit, see if he's really turning a corner here.

b_illin
01-16-2009, 01:50 PM
I've always wanted to see Nash play for the Raps one day, but not at that cost, there bench would be BAD after that trade. Plus the way Bargnani is playing now, I'm not so sure trading him is the right idea now, let's at least keep him for abit, see if he's really turning a corner here.

We can get Nash as a UFA next year anyway...plus, with Jose looking solid and Roko impressing, there may be no need....or if Roko really steps up, maybe we deal Jose and sign Nash....but giving up Bargs et al for that Nash package would be counter-productive in my eyes.

secol
01-17-2009, 04:43 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Aghjlwa0yLEIcl9U.OYSBEeC0bYF?slug=aw-onealheat011709&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

not bad......starting 5 of calderon, parker/kapono, marion, bosh, bargnani......

dw13
01-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Marion is junk in a half court set.

secol
01-17-2009, 08:53 PM
well with that lineup we would be able to run alot more

Farmerbob42
01-18-2009, 01:57 PM
'if he's healthy' i think thats a fairly large if

Farmerbob42
01-18-2009, 02:08 PM
looks like a good game against phoneix, end to end action and bargs just went right at shaq, kinda looked funny as shaq tried taking the charge. Bargs throwing that weight around!

b_illin
01-18-2009, 04:55 PM
A guy I'd love to trade for would be Antawn Jamieson. He makes about $10mm so AP ++ could get him....if the Wiz like the deal of course!

Farmerbob42
01-19-2009, 01:43 PM
so rumours to get marion and nash... hmm, cogs is putting together the suns team of old i see...

b_illin
01-19-2009, 02:40 PM
I really don't like these proposed trades. I would far rather get a decent top 15 pick in the draft and deal JO in the Summer when he will be worth way more and could actually get us some long-term talent instead of a short-term rental. (I don't see Matrix resigning with the Raps if he gets traded...and he's too selfish...he'll destroy the locker room and drive Bosh elsewhere in '10)

Also, while I'd love to have Nash, Bargs and Calderon (but all the other players we'd have to move to get him would destroy our bench...and Nash is on the downside where as Bargs and Jose are still rising...makes no sense)

two24four
01-19-2009, 04:46 PM
Booo, WTF was Moon doing near the end of the game, trying to be a hero shooting a 3 when they where only down by 1 :rolleyes:

b_illin
01-19-2009, 05:07 PM
Booo, WTF was Moon doing near the end of the game, trying to be a hero shooting a 3 when they where only down by 1 :rolleyes:

boo for you posting this before I watch the game on my PVR! (I should have known better!)

:\

two24four
01-19-2009, 05:43 PM
boo for you posting this before I watch the game on my PVR! (I should have known better!)

:\

haha, sorry.

b_illin
01-19-2009, 06:21 PM
haha, sorry.

it's my fault, I should have known better!

Farmerbob42
01-20-2009, 04:06 AM
ha. yeh i hate having games on the pvr, i have to avoid all media and the internet. hah.

yeh. im ok with nash having a year or so in toronto as a free agent but they really shouldn't be making deals now that wont get them better in the future. I reallllly hope cogs is smarter than this, which i think he is. Raptors do need another couple non-euros that can take bigger roles though

two24four
01-20-2009, 01:33 PM
Bosh is starting to get pissy, which is not like him. This is not looking good with him becoming a UFA after next season.

b_illin
01-20-2009, 03:58 PM
Bosh is starting to get pissy, which is not like him. This is not looking good with him becoming a UFA after next season.

That's what I was referring to(ish) when I said he is getting cocky....I meant he is getting an ego (not necessarily the bad kind, but an ego) and I could see that becoming a problem if we want to keep him in TO.

How does BC get feelers for Bosh without upsetting him? I'd think long and hard about dealing him if we could get an amazing package (which I think we could)....makes more sense then a panic trade in my eyes. I'd also rather build around a stud wing and keep Bargs as the talented big, then we could just get big mashers who aren't skilled, but are good defensively and play rough...unlike the pussy-cats we have now.

secol
01-20-2009, 08:15 PM
That's what I was referring to(ish) when I said he is getting cocky....I meant he is getting an ego (not necessarily the bad kind, but an ego) and I could see that becoming a problem if we want to keep him in TO.

How does BC get feelers for Bosh without upsetting him? I'd think long and hard about dealing him if we could get an amazing package (which I think we could)....makes more sense then a panic trade in my eyes. I'd also rather build around a stud wing and keep Bargs as the talented big, then we could just get big mashers who aren't skilled, but are good defensively and play rough...unlike the pussy-cats we have now.
voshkul?

b_illin
01-21-2009, 11:17 AM
voshkul?

He could be one of the less talented ones, yes, but I was thinking more like Varejao/Camby/Haslem/Noah type - defensive mashers

secol
01-21-2009, 06:59 PM
ah.....varejao would be a great fit if we moved bosh and kept bargs.......though he's probably going to be asking for more money than he's worth

Farmerbob42
01-21-2009, 07:49 PM
and he already held out once didnt he? i do like the banger kinda guy. they've lacked a decent rebounder who can get in there. i suppose humphries was supposed to kinda be that guy. At least they cant get a worse package than what they got for carter hah, o mercy

two24four
01-22-2009, 02:08 AM
7th loss in a row, 12 games under .500 now, 3rd last in the East :blah:

b_illin
01-22-2009, 11:40 AM
7th loss in a row, 12 games under .500 now, 3rd last in the East :blah:

Yeah, we're essentially out of the playoffs - plan for next yr BC, not this year!

two24four
01-22-2009, 02:04 PM
Report: Raptors, Heat swap medicals.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/2009/01/22/raptors_heat/

Farmerbob42
01-23-2009, 03:35 PM
the plot thickens.

dw13
01-26-2009, 02:32 PM
YouTube - UCF Jermaine Taylor Dunk Mix

I'm telling you 24. He might be a middle second rounder right now but after that NBA Pre-draft camp, I think he could rocket to the bottom first. Either way, if you guys could land him with a second round pick. Thats a legit #2! My boy Jermaine Taylor

b_illin
01-26-2009, 03:10 PM
He's kinda small for a SG in the NBA though, don't you think? (and with Ukic, I don;t think we need another young PG)

Dude's got hops though for sure!

two24four
01-26-2009, 03:34 PM
He's kinda small for a SG in the NBA though, don't you think? (and with Ukic, I don;t think we need another young PG)

Dude's got hops though for sure!

I agree, I dont see the Raps drafting a PG at the next draft.

dw13
01-26-2009, 03:46 PM
I've never thought of 6'4 or 6'5 being too small to play the 2 in the NBA. Which is JT's size. He is well built, jumps really well, can create his own shot and also plays very solid perimeter D.

He won't be an instant starter there, but it wasn't like this kid wasn't a big time recruit to UCF as well. He is from Orlando and wanted to jump start the program, he was followed by all the big schools.

He is going to impress people at the Pre-draft camp, and I look forward to seeing it. He isn't a PG, he is a pure #2.

two24four
01-26-2009, 04:32 PM
Guess we will find out where he goes and how he does soon enough, I just dont see it being the Raps, never know thou I guess.

dw13
01-26-2009, 04:35 PM
Guess we will find out where he goes and how he does soon enough, I just dont see it being the Raps, never know thou I guess.

I have no clue what the Raps need/want. I just figured I saw you guys saying you needed a shot creator of a 2 guard, and JT is exactly that. So I figured, since hes my boy and all, I'd throw his name out there:D

b_illin
01-26-2009, 05:28 PM
We need a winger (a 2 or preferably a slashing 3) and another big (strong defensive rebounder with a mean streak). That said, we might address one of those needs through an offseason trade or possible FA signing, so perhaps, if this dude is around in the 2nd (and they like him of course), maybe just maybe. He looks like the kind of undersized SG I might like in that he seems to be a real quick slasher who drives and finishes....which is something we definitely need. (AP's a FA this summer, and while I for one would like him back, the team may disagree...that would free up an opening at the SG position - we only have AP & Kapono at the 2 with Hassan Adams gone)

dw13
01-26-2009, 06:28 PM
I think undersized is only a problem for someone who cannot create his own shots. Which I do think JT has a great ability to do.

Who knows though, I'm one of the few really high on him which is why I can't wait to see him at the Pre-Draft camp.

two24four
01-26-2009, 06:31 PM
If the Raps stay near the bottom of the league for the rest of the season and get a high pick, I would not mind seeing them draft C Hasheem Thabeet from Connecticut if he's still around at our pick, he's 7'3 265lbs, he should go in the top 10, if not the top 5-7 picks.

dw13
01-26-2009, 06:36 PM
If the Raps stay near the bottom of the league for the rest of the season and get a high pick, I would not mind seeing them draft C Hasheem Thabeet from Connecticut if he's still around at our pick, he's 7'3 265lbs, he should go in the top 10, if not the top 5-7 picks.

Eeeek. Love Thabeets defensive ability but he really cannot play O. He doesn't demand the ball at all, and when he goes up he plays like he is 5'3. He is AWESOME defensively but just way too raw offensively (raw is a compliment too, as I think he won't ever get a great skill set from the block)

I think DaJuan Summers is someone that the Raps need from hearing from you and Bill. Sounds like you need a 2/3 that can slash and score on a consistant bases. Summers has developed his game rapidly, is vastly underrated in his pure scoring ability and is a solid shooter.

If you want a big man, Jordan Hill is my guy. He has just come leaps and bounds from his freshmen year, he has been working with Amar'e and his game is shown it.

b_illin
01-26-2009, 06:37 PM

Things can change, but it seems he should be gone before we likely get a pick (I don't see us getting anything inside the top 10 - they are much better than their recent record would suggest....they'll improve).

Also, this kid is more of a project - we need someone for now so we can compete and keep Bosh....or at least that's mgmt's plan I would think.

PS: I see us drafting a SF with our 1st and a backup big with our 2nd....short of a trade of course....and assuming there is a decent SF available at our pick

Farmerbob42
01-26-2009, 06:56 PM
raptors need a defensive beast, i think they have enough offense, someone who can rebound would be good

two24four
01-26-2009, 08:18 PM
raptors need a defensive beast, i think they have enough offense, someone who can rebound would be good

Agreed, which is why Thabeet would not be a bad pick for the Raps if he's still around at there pick, that's a big if thou.

b_illin
01-31-2009, 12:37 PM
JO's been a letdown, but the one thing I like best about him is that he will be dirty and hard foul guys when he feels we're being pushed around. The Raps really need more of that kind of attitude.

two24four
01-31-2009, 12:41 PM
JO's been a letdown, but the one thing I like best about him is that he will be dirty and hard foul guys when he feels we're being pushed around. The Raps really need more of that kind of attitude.

I agree, but sometimes he does take it abit to far IMO.

secol
02-02-2009, 10:30 AM
apparently chris bosh told raps that "he has no desire to remain in toronto"

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=3877144

b_illin
02-02-2009, 10:49 AM
apparently chris bosh told raps that "he has no desire to remain in toronto"

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=3877144

And this is what I was aorried about when I said I have a bad feeling earlier this season....and also when I said Bosh is scaring me as he is becoming cocky. Who knows whether it is is true or not, but it's about the optics, and right now a bunch of fans/GM's may be thinking the Raps have to deal Bosh....we won't get fleeced a la Wince Carter, but it hurts our bargaining position.

The way Bosh has been playing though the last month, maybe something is up...

two24four
02-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Right now I dont blame him, but alot can change before his contract is up after next season.

b_illin
02-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Right now I dont blame him, but alot can change before his contract is up after next season.

Well, his shite play this last month ain't helping them put up any W's!

What happened to the MVP level play of the first month Chris? I'm not blaming him...but he seems to be blaming everyone else. They had no Jose and the team simply isn't deep enough at 2/3 - but I don't like how he seems to be getting ticked when he has been playing horrible ball himself (or at least not at the level expected).

If we can get a crazy package for him, I'd deal him. Bargs has been stepping up and with JO expiring in '10, we should be able to get so e goods for him through trade next year or this Summer with everyone lining up to sign LeBron or DWade. Maybe we can get Lee and Gallinari (++ a 1st and some salary fodder) for JO - I would like Lee in TO and I think Gallinari will be really good. Or we could make a deal with Portland who has tonnes of youth. Etc etc.

All I know is I may be jumping the gun based on a few Bosh rumours, but I have abad feeling about this whole scenario (as I did earlier in the season) and I'd rather be proactive then reactive. (granted he's only 24, but I question if Bosh is the man...as in he may be better suited as the other guy...like the compliment to a guy like Wade)

Edit: How about Dirk & a 1st for Bosh? (or Dirk + Howard + pick +fodder) for Bosh & JO together??)

secol
02-02-2009, 08:48 PM
pretty sure dirk isn't on the block......portland would be a good fit but they already have oden/aldridge as their bigs

b_illin
02-02-2009, 08:57 PM
pretty sure dirk isn't on the block......portland would be a good fit but they already have oden/aldridge as their bigs

I think I've heard Dirk for Bosh on the past actually...just rumours, but I could see it....would take more players to match salaries, but DAL wants Bosh I know as he is a hometown star.

POR can send us one of them back
(Aldridge + Outlaw/Fernandez + 1st + Lafrentz for Bosh & cap filler)

two24four
02-02-2009, 10:21 PM
I cant see Dirk being moved.

I think if this team is in the same spot as it is now at this time next season, and it does not look like he will resign with the Raps, then yes they should trade him for sure before he becomes a UFA.

Alot of talk is he and Lebron both want to sign in NY once they are UFA's, that would be unreal, I guess they got real close playing for team USA in the summer.

secol
02-02-2009, 11:28 PM
thing is aldridge isn't too bad himself hehe