PDA

View Full Version : What is the best cover of all time... or your favourite?

jelmhirst12
12-02-2007, 04:19 PM
I like Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt" (originally done by Nine Inch Nails).

b_illin
12-02-2007, 08:04 PM
I am not an Orgy fan in the slightest, but I always thought their cover of Blue Monday was good. I also though the Atari's cover of 'Boys of Summer' was solid.

Edit: I'm sure there are many others that are not coming to mind...one thats does is Redman, Eric Sermon & Keith Murray's cover of Rapper's Delight!

gNaRKiLL
12-02-2007, 08:15 PM
Another vote for Orgy - Blue Monday

nyrblue2
12-02-2007, 08:27 PM
Metcallica - "Turn the Page"
Reel Big Fish - "Take on Me"
Limp Bizkit - "Faith"
Less Than Jake - "Surrender"
Zebrahead - "Wannabe"
Anything by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes
311 - "Love Song"

My top ones have to be:

Metallica - "Whiskey In the Jar"

and

a bunch by Sublime:
"River of Babylon"
"Ball and Chain"
"Jailhouse"
"Smoke Two Joints"
etc.
etc.

Dubz
12-02-2007, 09:10 PM
Im sure there are many.
GNR- Live and Let Die, kinda sticks out to me. Like to see more posts here:D

:yes: Turn the Page and Sublime

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-02-2007, 10:36 PM
Jimmy Hendrix - All Along the Watch Tower

gagne21
12-02-2007, 10:40 PM
Neil Young - All Along the Watchtower

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2_tJnj2j5kI

b_illin
12-03-2007, 02:44 AM
Metcallica - "Turn the Page"
Reel Big Fish - "Take on Me"
Limp Bizkit - "Faith"
Less Than Jake - "Surrender"
Zebrahead - "Wannabe"
Anything by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes
311 - "Love Song"

My top ones have to be:

Metallica - "Whiskey In the Jar"

and

a bunch by Sublime:
"River of Babylon"
"Ball and Chain"
"Jailhouse"
"Smoke Two Joints"
etc.
etc.

Yes!!!

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-03-2007, 04:35 AM
Neil Young - All Along the Watchtower

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2_tJnj2j5kI

Not bad, but I still prefer Jimmi! Dave Mathews Band does a pretty decent cover of the same song

Another one of my favorite covers is

Metro by System of a Down

Awesome

nyrblue2
12-03-2007, 08:23 AM
Not bad, but I still prefer Jimmi! Dave Mathews Band does a pretty decent cover of the same song

Another one of my favorite covers is

Metro by System of a Down

Awesome
Hmm, I didn't know that was a cover. Good pick.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-03-2007, 10:57 AM
Hmm, I didn't know that was a cover. Good pick.

hahah yeah, an awesome pop song from the 80's I believe.. by a group named Berlin! SOAD's version is way more dope though

Another couple of good ones that popped into my head (aka my ipod) this morning are

Sweet Dreams - Marilyn Manson
I Will Survive - Cake
American Woman - Lenny Kravitz
Knockin On Heavens Door - GNR

eff1ngham
12-03-2007, 12:03 PM
I've always liked:

Ring of Fire by Social Distortion
Easy Like Sunday Morning - Faith No More
Smooth Criminal - Alien Ant Farm
Another Brick in the Wall - KoRn
Imagine - A Perfect Circle

nyrblue2
12-03-2007, 12:13 PM
I've always liked:

Ring of Fire by Social Distortion
Easy Like Sunday Morning - Faith No More
Smooth Criminal - Alien Ant Farm
Another Brick in the Wall - KoRn
Imagine - A Perfect Circle
OMG, I can't believe I forgot that one. AAF is one of my favorite bands. :eek:

Also, another one I just thought of:

Matisyahu - "Message In a Bottle"

Doctego
12-03-2007, 01:54 PM
Voodoo Chile - SRV
Pretty Woman - Van Halen
The Summertime Blues - The Who

chgorman
12-03-2007, 02:21 PM
Jimmy Hendrix - All Along the Watch Tower

That's a cover? I had no idea! I should probably know, considering it's one of my fave tunes of all time. Who did the original?

Korn - Word up - I know, silly song, but I loved it when I was a kid for some reason, and still love the Korn cover.

My brain is mush right now, but I know there's a few covers I love that haven't been mentioned yet. I'll try and come up with a few more to post....

Oh, pretty much all the songs Nirvana covered for Unplugged - Live in New York are great.

Matt Good did a cover of a Depeche Mode song that was pretty good, but can't rmember the name of the song... I think it's 'Enjoy the Silence'.

ih8music
12-03-2007, 02:31 PM
some of my favorites off the top of my head are:

Uncle Tupelo - Effigy (CCR)
The Replacements - Another Girl, Another Planet (The Only Ones)
Nirvana - Man Who Stole The World (Bowie)
Afghan Whigs - My World Is Empty Without You (Supremes)

and I totally agree that Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt" is fantastic. He took an already great song into an emotional masterpiece. didn't Reznor originally write the song for/about Cash?

Doctego
12-03-2007, 02:44 PM
That's a cover? I had no idea! I should probably know, considering it's one of my fave tunes of all time. Who did the original?

Yeah. Dylan wrote it but I can understand you not knowing that because you can't understand what he's saying.:D

chgorman
12-03-2007, 03:06 PM
Yeah. Dylan wrote it but I can understand you not knowing that because you can't understand what he's saying.:D

Well, that, plus I don't think I've ever heard the Dylan version before, which is odd 'cause my Pops listened to a CRAPLOAD of both Dylan and Jimi growing up. Maybe I heard it but didn't recognize it or something... does the original sound much different from Jimi's cover?

Oh, another one, now that Doc mentioned Dylan... Lay Lady Lay by Ministry. Love that song. Sounds NOTHING like the orignal (which I also like), but pretty tough to make Ministry sound like Dylan. Al J certainly put his own special touch on that one. Aside from Watchtower, probably my fave cover of all time, even though it doesn't really sound like the orignal much, if at all.

b_illin
12-03-2007, 03:16 PM
hahah yeah, an awesome pop song from the 80's I believe.. by a group named Berlin! SOAD's version is way more dope though

Another couple of good ones that popped into my head (aka my ipod) this morning are

Sweet Dreams - Marilyn Manson
I Will Survive - Cake
American Woman - Lenny Kravitz
Knockin On Heavens Door - GNR

Every breath you take!!

Cake cover is a yes, the Lenny cover is a travesty!

edit: AA cover of Smooth Criminal is awesome as is SRV's Voodoo Chile & of course Little Wing too! Man who stole the World is great too!

gNaRKiLL
12-03-2007, 06:36 PM
Rage Against the Machine - Pistol Grip Pump
Korn - Wicked

are two other good un's

UpstateRanger
12-03-2007, 09:36 PM
Breaking Benjamin covered "Hurt" awesome live (I was there) can't find good youtube of it. And Adam Gontier from Three Days Grace covered Alice in Chains "Rooster"...that was awesome live too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWOIopo04Q0&feature=related

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-04-2007, 04:41 AM
ooooh, how about Richard Cheese's cover of Disturbed Down With the Sickness. (among many, many others)

Hillarious!

chgorman
12-04-2007, 09:48 AM
ooooh, how about Richard Cheese's cover of Disturbed Down With the Sickness. (among many, many others)

Hillarious!

:lol::lol: I love that guy's cover of Gin 'n Juice!

narduch
12-04-2007, 02:07 PM
Am I the only person who likes the NIN version of 'Hurt' better than Cash's? I feel NIN actual original music suits the theme of the song much better.

Anyways, here are some of my favs off the top of my head:

Headstones - Tweeter and The Monkeyman
Cake - I Will Survive (by the way, check out their cover of War Pigs)
Stone Temple Pilots - Dancing Days
System of a Down - Snowblind
Gob - Paint It Black

Ah, there's probably tons more that I'm missing....

b_illin
12-04-2007, 02:10 PM
:lol::lol: I love that guy's cover of Gin 'n Juice!

The Gourds (NOT Phish!) do an excellent cover too!

b_illin
12-04-2007, 02:12 PM
Am I the only person who likes the NIN version of 'Hurt' better than Cash's? I feel NIN actual original music suits the theme of the song much better.

Gob - Paint It Black

Yes, Headstones!

narduch
12-04-2007, 02:16 PM
Yes, Headstones!

Yes, the most under-rated, straight ahead, no bullshit rock band Canada ever produced. Sort of like if Queens of the Stone Age weren't stoned all the time. :p

narduch
12-04-2007, 02:34 PM
In case anyone cared:

You can listen to the original Travelling Willburies version of Tweeter and the Monkey Man here:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=L-G4l2-5eJk

And the awesome Headstones version here:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=BukWT54Cv4U

chgorman
12-04-2007, 03:15 PM

Gob - Paint It Black

Nope, you're not the only one, I'm totally with you on that. I love the Reznor version, not a fan of the Cash version. It's not horrible by any means, but I would never specifically seek it out to download it or listen to it over the original. I realize there's special meaning involved with the Cash version, but I still think the origial is a better song, both musically and vocally. the only think the Cash version has going for it, IMO, is the sentimentality aspect that's been attached to it.

Then again, I've never been a big Johnny $ fan to begin with, so that may be part of it for me.

P.S. Tea Party does a pretty solid cover of Paint it Black too. Was thinking about it yesterday actually when trying to think up other covers I like, but it's not one of my faves, so I didn't bother to list it, but it's pretty good too.

tyler0896
12-05-2007, 05:29 AM
Korn - Wicked
Damn, Korn did wicked? Never heard it. I gotta go find it immediately.

There are tons of huge covers, most have them are in this thread already. If I had to pick one as the best, it's Metallica Whiskey in the Jar.

One that hasn't been mentioned yet is Gary Jules Mad World. Yes I know, you're kicking yourself :D

tyler0896
12-05-2007, 05:42 AM
Nope, you're not the only one, I'm totally with you on that. I love the Reznor version, not a fan of the Cash version. It's not horrible by any means, but I would never specifically seek it out to download it or listen to it over the original. I realize there's special meaning involved with the Cash version, but I still think the origial is a better song, both musically and vocally. the only think the Cash version has going for it, IMO, is the sentimentality aspect that's been attached to it.

Then again, I've never been a big Johnny $ fan to begin with, so that may be part of it for me.I never liked him either, but now that he's dead I'm slowly starting to realize that he was a music God. Part of the reason I didn't like him is he sounds too country, but I'm starting to not be so intolerant about that. Not that I like any country, but I'm mature enough to not hate Cash for sounding a tiny bit like it. It's starting to dawn on me that he might be the single best representative of rock music there is. Finally a music legend I can respect. This coming from someone who's only heard a handful of his songs, I'm looking forward to hearing the rest. Well, maybe in another 10 years.

Either way, are there that many people actually saying Cash's was better than Reznor's? For me, they're just really different. Reznor's is the most nine inch nailsy song there is, and head to head there's no way Cash's stands up to it. But for whatever reason, to this day I'd much rather listen to Johnny's at any given moment. I'm expecting that will change eventually when his death fades a little further away.

chgorman
12-05-2007, 11:19 AM
I never liked him either, but now that he's dead I'm slowly starting to realize that he was a music God. Part of the reason I didn't like him is he sounds too country, but I'm starting to not be so intolerant about that. Not that I like any country, but I'm mature enough to not hate Cash for sounding a tiny bit like it. It's starting to dawn on me that he might be the single best representative of rock music there is. Finally a music legend I can respect. This coming from someone who's only heard a handful of his songs, I'm looking forward to hearing the rest. Well, maybe in another 10 years.

Either way, are there that many people actually saying Cash's was better than Reznor's? For me, they're just really different. Reznor's is the most nine inch nailsy song there is, and head to head there's no way Cash's stands up to it. But for whatever reason, to this day I'd much rather listen to Johnny's at any given moment. I'm expecting that will change eventually when his death fades a little further away.

Maybe I need to give Cash more of a chance then, as I feel the same way you used to. Too 'Country' for my tastes, but maybe if I gave him more of my listening time, I might come to appreciate him more. What is it about him that has you saying things such as what I've highlighted above regarding 'music God' and 'music legend (you) can respect'? I'm intrigued...

ih8music
12-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Maybe I need to give Cash more of a chance then, as I feel the same way you used to. Too 'Country' for my tastes, but maybe if I gave him more of my listening time, I might come to appreciate him more. What is it about him that has you saying things such as what I've highlighted above regarding 'music God' and 'music legend (you) can respect'? I'm intrigued...
A good start would be to watch "Walk The Line" - the movie that came out a couple of years ago w/ River Phoenix & Reese Witherspoon about Cash's early career. Fantastic movie.

As for the 2 versions, I love both of them - in fact, it's probably the only NIN song I would say that about. But I got chills when I heard Cash's version of it. Something about his delivery makes the lyrics much more powerful IMO.

Of course, they're both weak in comparison to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57ta7mkgrOU

King_Killah
12-05-2007, 01:38 PM
With all the mentions of NIN's version of "Hurt" I am surprised that no one mentioned Johnny Cash's version of Soundgarden's Rusty Cage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af6PeBpUu3c&feature=related

As far as Metallica's covers... "Whiskey" & "Page" are OK, their better covers are the classics like:

Breadfan
Helpless
Small Hours
Crash Course in Brain Surgery
Last Caress/Green Hell
The Prince

Other covers that I like:

Faster Pussycat's version of "You're So Vain"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP-1G0iha_s
Anthrax's version of "Got the Time"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wHijgQ1UVw
Dope's version of "F*ck Tha Police"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFf9bNCtvzs&feature=related
Fountains of Wayne version of "Hit Me Baby (One More Time)"
Crimson Glory's version of "Astronomy Domine"

Tried finding at least a clip of Fountains and Crimson.

I am sure there are more!

chgorman
12-05-2007, 02:19 PM
A good start would be to watch "Walk The Line" - the movie that came out a couple of years ago w/ River Phoenix & Reese Witherspoon about Cash's early career. Fantastic movie.

I've actually watched it. Was a pretty solid movie, seems like Johhny was a pretty cool guy, but still , didn't really see anything there that would make me label him a 'music god' or 'the single best representative of rock music there is'. I'm not disagreeing with Tyler, just wondering why he feels the way he does - so strongly - about Cash, when he's said he wasn't really much of a fan previously.

edit: oh, and it's Joaquin (sp?) Phoenix, not River... he died a while back.

UpstateRanger
12-07-2007, 07:46 AM
Here is an awesome cover from Godsmack of Led Zep's "Good Times, Bad Times"

The only place I can find it is yahoo videos (link comes from Godsmack's web page!)

http://video.music.yahoo.com/up/music/music/?rn=1301797&vid=52230472&stationId=&curl=http%3A%2F%2Fmusic.yahoo.com%2Far-287923-videos - Godsmack

nyrblue2
12-07-2007, 08:40 AM
Here is an awesome cover from Godsmack of Led Zep's "Good Times, Bad Times"

The only place I can find it is yahoo videos (link comes from Godsmack's web page!)

http://video.music.yahoo.com/up/music/music/?rn=1301797&vid=52230472&stationId=&curl=http%3A%2F%2Fmusic.yahoo.com%2Far-287923-videos - Godsmack
Yea, that's all over the radio now. Every time I hear it, I mean to add it to this thread but I forget, lol. It's pretty good...

UpstateRanger
12-07-2007, 09:03 AM
Yea, that's all over the radio now. Every time I hear it, I mean to add it to this thread but I forget, lol. It's pretty good...

The video shoot was pretty cool...I live north of Syracuse, and my brother-in-law in Albany...we were going to try to run to Boston for the shoot, but our "better halves" had other plans for us...LOL...The band basically put the invite out to all fans on their website a few days before the shoot. "We'll be somewhere in Boston sometime on this date....come and find us"....(something to that effect anyway...)...The latest CD they released this week has that cover, but comes with a DVD of an acoustic show Godsmack did at the House of Blues in Las Vegas over a year ago...at the end of the show, they covered "Reefer-Headed Woman" with Sully playing harmonica....

nyrblue2
12-07-2007, 01:22 PM
The video shoot was pretty cool...I live north of Syracuse, and my brother-in-law in Albany...we were going to try to run to Boston for the shoot, but our "better halves" had other plans for us...LOL...The band basically put the invite out to all fans on their website a few days before the shoot. "We'll be somewhere in Boston sometime on this date....come and find us"....(something to that effect anyway...)...The latest CD they released this week has that cover, but comes with a DVD of an acoustic show Godsmack did at the House of Blues in Las Vegas over a year ago...at the end of the show, they covered "Reefer-Headed Woman" with Sully playing harmonica....
Nice...Yea I always liked Godsmack but never got into them enough to travel for a concert I guess (they haven't come around my town yet as far as I know)...I might go check that CD out - anything w/ a live DVD is sweet...

Do you know where abouts in Albany your brother-in-law is? I'm from "Albany" too, but that term can be a little vague. Downtown city area? One of the suburbs?

UpstateRanger
12-07-2007, 05:13 PM
Brother-in-law is in Rotterdam. Godsmack was just in Glens Falls last October (some Saturday a year ago), then Syracuse on the following Monday. My B-I-L went to Glens Falls, and called up Sunday morning saying "lets to to Syracuse" so we went to that show, then they toured small venues this past spring...did the Palace in Albany, and Shea's in Buffalo (he had tickets to the Palace and couldn't go!). I went with my wife and friends to Shea's in May, then they hit the Landmark in Syracuse in August and we went again. That was just about the end of the tour. Next stop after Syracuse was Boston to finish. Godsmack is so incredible live!!!! And I'm not just saying that...I've seen a LOT of bands, and they really put on one of the best shows I've ever seen (although, Metallica at Woodstock '99 was probably the BEST show I've ever seen...)! They are more hard rock now than metal like they kind of started out...If you don't have a Godsmack album, this greatest hits is definitely a great starting point..., plus you get the live acoustic show in Vegas as a bonus. My wife got it for $9.99 at BestBuy yesterday.

nyrblue2
12-08-2007, 01:11 PM
Brother-in-law is in Rotterdam. Godsmack was just in Glens Falls last October (some Saturday a year ago), then Syracuse on the following Monday. My B-I-L went to Glens Falls, and called up Sunday morning saying "lets to to Syracuse" so we went to that show, then they toured small venues this past spring...did the Palace in Albany, and Shea's in Buffalo (he had tickets to the Palace and couldn't go!). I went with my wife and friends to Shea's in May, then they hit the Landmark in Syracuse in August and we went again. That was just about the end of the tour. Next stop after Syracuse was Boston to finish. Godsmack is so incredible live!!!! And I'm not just saying that...I've seen a LOT of bands, and they really put on one of the best shows I've ever seen (although, Metallica at Woodstock '99 was probably the BEST show I've ever seen...)! They are more hard rock now than metal like they kind of started out...If you don't have a Godsmack album, this greatest hits is definitely a great starting point..., plus you get the live acoustic show in Vegas as a bonus. My wife got it for $9.99 at BestBuy yesterday.
Nice, my neighbors to the west. I used to live in Colonie, now I'm in Guilderland.

I actually have their first 4 CD's (well, I bought the first 2 and downloaded the next 2...:$). They definitely rock. I freakin love their acoustic stuff, along with the hard rock stuff (Trippin', Sick of Life, Awake and Bad Religion rule).

Yea, I do remember them coming to the Palace once. I think they came while I was away at school in Philly though. Don't remember hearing about Glens Falls though...hmm...

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-08-2007, 10:24 PM
Cash was by far the most influential and kick ass folk musician of all time. I don't even classify Johnny Cash as a rocker, but he could totally rock.

CayugaPosse
12-08-2007, 11:53 PM
TOOL - No Quarter(Led Zeppelin cover)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMr8Ehwt1xc

Disturbed - Shout 2000(Tears For Fears cover)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuV_dBWtm24

Nevermore - The Sound Of Silence(Simon and Garfunkle cover)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBJDP02itvw

Are all old favourites of mine...however the one I'm totally in love with right now is :

Killswitch Engage - Holy Diver(Dio cover)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7sK_9LRkUA&feature=related

nyrblue2
12-08-2007, 11:55 PM
TOOL - No Quarter(Led Zeppelin cover)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMr8Ehwt1xc

Disturbed - Shout 2000(Tears For Fears cover)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuV_dBWtm24

Nevermore - The Sound Of Silence(Simon and Garfunkle cover)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBJDP02itvw

Are all old favourites of mine...however the one I'm totally in love with right now is :

Killswitch Engage - Holy Diver(Dio cover)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7sK_9LRkUA&feature=related
Good call. And "Land of Confusion" I think is even better (Genesis cover).

tyler0896
12-09-2007, 04:47 PM
I've actually watched it. Was a pretty solid movie, seems like Johhny was a pretty cool guy, but still , didn't really see anything there that would make me label him a 'music god' or 'the single best representative of rock music there is'. I'm not disagreeing with Tyler, just wondering why he feels the way he does - so strongly - about Cash, when he's said he wasn't really much of a fan previously.
It's kind of a complicated answer. Let's see if putting it in list form helps any.

1. Hurt, which needs no explanation.

2. The beginning of Dawn of the Dead 2004 taught me that country-ish music can be pretty badass in an apocalyptic sort of way.

3. Too lazy to google the specifics, but he did a few shows in prisons where he brought a strong "fuck the police" vibe with him. It's tough to explain, but that vibe didn't sound facetious at all. You actually feel the seriousness of prison in general when you listen to the album.

4. All the little cultural things I picked up here and there. I can't think of many right now. One good example is in Stephen King's Drawing of the Three where Eddie's stoned junkie brother Henry Dean answers every trivial pursuit question "Johnny Cash!" Here's an excerpt:

"The question is, 'What enormously popular novel by William Peter Blatty, set in the posh Washington D.C. suburb of Georgetown, concerned the demonic possession of a young girl?'"
"Johnny Cash," Henry replied.
"Jesus Christ!" Tricks Postino yelled. "That's what you say to everythin! Johnny Cash, that's what you say to fuckin everythin!"
"Johnny Cash is everything", Henry replied gravely, and there was a moment of silence palpable in its considering surprise . . . then a gravelly burst of laughter from the room.

b_illin
12-10-2007, 11:18 AM
Walk the Line was alright (cool life, but the movie was kinda boring I felt) - Ray was much better (I had no idea Ray Charles was into the drugs and ladies like that!)

chgorman
12-11-2007, 03:56 PM
It's kind of a complicated answer. Let's see if putting it in list form helps any.

1. Hurt, which needs no explanation.

2. The beginning of Dawn of the Dead 2004 taught me that country-ish music can be pretty badass in an apocalyptic sort of way.

3. Too lazy to google the specifics, but he did a few shows in prisons where he brought a strong "fuck the police" vibe with him. It's tough to explain, but that vibe didn't sound facetious at all. You actually feel the seriousness of prison in general when you listen to the album.

4. All the little cultural things I picked up here and there. I can't think of many right now. One good example is in Stephen King's Drawing of the Three where Eddie's stoned junkie brother Henry Dean answers every trivial pursuit question "Johnny Cash!" Here's an excerpt:

"The question is, 'What enormously popular novel by William Peter Blatty, set in the posh Washington D.C. suburb of Georgetown, concerned the demonic possession of a young girl?'"
"Johnny Cash," Henry replied.
"Jesus Christ!" Tricks Postino yelled. "That's what you say to everythin! Johnny Cash, that's what you say to fuckin everythin!"
"Johnny Cash is everything", Henry replied gravely, and there was a moment of silence palpable in its considering surprise . . . then a gravelly burst of laughter from the room.

Hmm, interesting. Thx for the explanation Tyler. Gives me a much better idea where you're coming from with your comments further back in the thread.

I still can't get too excited about him, but maybe it will come with time, and/or more exposure.

Kyle
12-27-2007, 11:48 PM
Walk the Line was alright (cool life, but the movie was kinda boring I felt) - Ray was much better (I had no idea Ray Charles was into the drugs and ladies like that!)

Ray is one of my favorite movies ever, great choice.

Judas Priest - Metal Heart

Awesome cover of Accept's famous Metal Hearth. The post-apocalyptic theme of the song is capture much better and the guitar solo just sounds badass.

Iced Earth - Hallowed be thy Name

A cover of one of the best songs from one of the best albums ever made, Iced Earth manages to give the Iron Maiden classic a more modernized and clean feel. The vocals and music still sounds amazing, these guys can do Maiden covers better than anybody else I know.

Ronnie James Dio - Man on the Silver Mountain

An upgrade in vocal quality, production value, and musicianship while keeping the sound that made Rainbow's original so famous, a simple cover but one that makes it difficult to go back to the original. Doesn't get any better than Dio.

Ronnie James Dio and Yngwie Malmsteen - Dream On

Aerosmith's classic with a bunch of typical Malmsteen shredding thrown in. Dio can't hit Tyler's vocal range and it shows near the end of the song, but the cover is fantastic otherwise.

Primal Fear - Kill the King

A harder, faster, and louder version of Rainbow's song. Primal Fear is loaded with talent and they manage to keep the song sounding great as they cram a bunch of heavy metal into it. The guitars particularly sound awesome.

narduch
12-28-2007, 12:15 AM

An upgrade in vocal quality, production value, and musicianship while keeping the sound that made Rainbow's original so famous, a simple cover but one that makes it difficult to go back to the original. Doesn't get any better than Dio.

I would consider this more of an update than a cover.

King_Killah
12-28-2007, 01:42 AM
Ray is one of my favorite movies ever, great choice.

Judas Priest - Metal Heart

Awesome cover of Accept's famous Metal Hearth. The post-apocalyptic theme of the song is capture much better and the guitar solo just sounds badass.

Iced Earth - Hallowed be thy Name

A cover of one of the best songs from one of the best albums ever made, Iced Earth manages to give the Iron Maiden classic a more modernized and clean feel. The vocals and music still sounds amazing, these guys can do Maiden covers better than anybody else I know.

Ronnie James Dio and Yngwie Malmsteen - Dream On

Aerosmith's classic with a bunch of typical Malmsteen shredding thrown in. Dio can't hit Tyler's vocal range and it shows near the end of the song, but the cover is fantastic otherwise.

Primal Fear - Kill the King

A harder, faster, and louder version of Rainbow's song. Primal Fear is loaded with talent and they manage to keep the song sounding great as they cram a bunch of heavy metal into it. The guitars particularly sound awesome.

The Man on the Silver Mountain really isn't much of a stretch because well, Dio was the singer of Rainbow.

I like Iced Earth's cover also...

What about Killswitch Engage's - Holy Diver... Was this mentioned?? Too lazy to scroll back... The video is straight up Dio.

Kyle
12-29-2007, 10:27 PM
The Man on the Silver Mountain really isn't much of a stretch because well, Dio was the singer of Rainbow.

I like Iced Earth's cover also...

What about Killswitch Engage's - Holy Diver... Was this mentioned?? Too lazy to scroll back... The video is straight up Dio.

Ah, I always thought Rainbow just had a vocalist who sounded similar to Dio.

Hamsterkill
12-29-2007, 11:34 PM
AAF - Smooth Criminal (even though I actually hate AAF)
Orgy - Blue Monday
Sixpence None the Richer - Don't Dream it's Over
Letters to Cleo - Cruel To Be Kind (it's on the 10 Things I Hate About You Soundtrack)
The White Stripes - You Don't Know What Love Is

and

Loreena McKennitt - The Highwayman (not really a cover I guess, but a take on poem)

On a related note... I can't freaking stand Disturbed's take on "Land of Confusion".

narduch
12-29-2007, 11:42 PM

LOL. This isn't even a cover song. Its a totally original song.

Mind you, the White Stripes do have some killer covers, including their most recent single, Conquest. Gotta love the Mexican trumpets.

I think 'Death Letter' has to be the best of the lot though.

Hamsterkill
12-29-2007, 11:53 PM
LOL. This isn't even a cover song. Its a totally original song.

Mind you, the White Stripes do have some killer covers, including their most recent single, Conquest. Gotta love the Mexican trumpets.

I think 'Death Letter' has to be the best of the lot though.

LOL you're right! My bad, I guess I just assumed it was a cover of the Billie Holiday song.

wolffs79
12-30-2007, 09:52 AM
I used to check coversproject.com but when I went today all I got was a white screen. Not sure if it's still up and running, but it had a pretty extensive list of covers.

So many good covers but I have a few favorites...

Children of Bodom - Somebody Put Someting in My Drink (Ramones)
Malevolent Creation - Raining Blood
Entombed - Kick out the Jams
Cathedral - Solitude (Sabbath)

Then there are some pretty good Compilations and Tributes

Sucking the 70's
Coalesce - There is Notihng New Under the Sun (Zeppelin Covers)
Navity in Black - Sabbath Tribute
The Four Horsemen - Metallica Tribute

nyrblue2
01-01-2008, 10:08 PM
AAF - Smooth Criminal (even though I actually hate AAF)
Orgy - Blue Monday
Sixpence None the Richer - Don't Dream it's Over
Letters to Cleo - Cruel To Be Kind (it's on the 10 Things I Hate About You Soundtrack)

and

Loreena McKennitt - The Highwayman (not really a cover I guess, but a take on poem)

On a related note... I can't freaking stand Disturbed's take on "Land of Confusion".
:no:

Not cool man, lol....

King_Killah
01-02-2008, 06:22 PM
I used to check coversproject.com but when I went today all I got was a white screen. Not sure if it's still up and running, but it had a pretty extensive list of covers.

So many good covers but I have a few favorites...

Children of Bodom - Somebody Put Someting in My Drink (Ramones)
Malevolent Creation - Raining Blood
Entombed - Kick out the Jams
Cathedral - Solitude (Sabbath)

Then there are some pretty good Compilations and Tributes

Sucking the 70's
Coalesce - There is Notihng New Under the Sun (Zeppelin Covers)
Navity in Black - Sabbath Tribute
The Four Horsemen - Metallica Tribute

NIce one with Entombed.... There is about 8,000,000 Metallica tribute CDs. The weird ones (and not just Metallica, like every band has one now) are the String Quartet Tributes... Odd... :wtf:

King_Killah
01-04-2008, 11:52 PM
A little snippet of German metal band, Atrocity covering the Simple Minds - Don't You (Forget About Me).

http://www.atrocity.de/userfiles/file/DontYouForgetAboutMe.MP3

Hamsterkill
01-05-2008, 02:34 AM
Not sure how I forgot this one, but...

They Might Be Giants - Istanbul (Not Constantinople)

...is possibly my favorite cover of all.

King_Killah
01-06-2008, 01:23 AM

You don't like Kelly Osbourne's cover of Madonna?

Hamsterkill
01-06-2008, 03:16 AM
You don't like Kelly Osbourne's cover of Madonna?

Haven't heard it... but I doubt it. :lol:

Dubz
01-06-2008, 08:04 AM
Not sure if this ones been mentioned.... Last Kiss- Pearl Jam

King_Killah
01-06-2008, 09:55 PM
Haven't heard it... but I doubt it. :lol:

Hahahahaha........ it isn't that great. I was just messing with ya... You said the TMBG cover is possibly your favorite, so I was being sarcastic! :lol:

tomcat
01-07-2008, 02:31 AM
Cream's cover of Albert King's Born Under a Bad Sign.
SRV, Little Wing
Aerosmith, Come Together
Hendrix, Like a Rolling Stone.
Heart does great Led Zep covers.
VH, You Really Got Me.

And for the OP, Johnny Cash's version of Hurt is brilliant.

Andrew1125
01-07-2008, 02:41 AM
And the winner is....

Nirvana - Man Who Stole The World (Bowie)

King_Killah
01-08-2008, 01:44 AM
Poison - Little Willy
Motley Crue - Jailhouse Rock
Judas Priest - Green Manalishi

dman2143
01-09-2008, 08:38 AM
pearl jam-cover of the who's reign o'r me....

Zangetsu
01-09-2008, 03:17 PM
I agree with ih8music and Andrew1125 on Nirvana's cover of Man Who Sold The World. Covers aside, it's one of my favorite songs of all time.

narduch
01-09-2008, 03:24 PM
Spell it right at least. :evilgrin:

The Man Who SOLD The World.

:p

The original is pretty good as well. Classic example of a well down cover of a great song.

/Possibly my favourite Nirvana song, from my favourite Nirvana album.

King_Killah
01-09-2008, 03:53 PM
I agree with ih8music and Andrew1125 on Nirvana's cover of Man Who Sold The World. Covers aside, it's one of my favorite songs of all time.

The sad thing is that this is Nirvana's ONLY good song.

chgorman
01-09-2008, 04:12 PM
The sad thing is that this is Nirvana's ONLY good song.

:rolleyes: Whatev King, whatev :rolleyes: Not sure where you get that idea from, but to each his own, I guess.

They have a bunch of great songs. Maybe not masterpieces, but to say they only have ONE good song, let alone a cover, is BS IMO. Pretty tough to get the critical acclaim and popularity they achieved with only one good song that was one of the last ones they ever released.

King_Killah
01-09-2008, 05:40 PM
:rolleyes: Whatev King, whatev :rolleyes: Not sure where you get that idea from, but to each his own, I guess.

They have a bunch of great songs. Maybe not masterpieces, but to say they only have ONE good song, let alone a cover, is BS IMO. Pretty tough to get the critical acclaim and popularity they achieved with only one good song that was one of the last ones they ever released.

Gorman -- do you really want me to get into it? Its a topic that I've discussed and debated numerous times over, yes even more than the Metallica debate (not sure if you were a part of that or not). Both on here and other forums. I've been in the music business in multiple aspects, from the retail end up to artist development for a major record label.

Now true...in the end, I suppose it is really all subjective and a matter of opinion. But if you wanna get into the Nirvana discussion, we can certainly do so. ;)

Zangetsu
01-09-2008, 05:52 PM
I don't agree with King on this one, but I will say that Nirvana's music was definitely not as good as their popularity would lead you to believe. I was a fan at the time, but the only album I still listen to is the Unplugged album. That album is solid from beginning to end.

That being said, about 40% of the album is made up of non-Nirvana songs (Vasolines song, 3x Meat Puppets songs, Bowie cover, and "Where Did You Sleep Last Night"), and the Nirvana songs that are on the album are not the songs that were played 30 times a day on MTV.

All in all, Nirvana was a good band that MTV took and blew out of proportion.

ih8music
01-09-2008, 06:41 PM
Agree that Nirvana was overhyped - especially after Cobain's suicide - but I still think they were a very good, often great band at the forefront of an important shift in the music industry. It could have just as easily been Pearl Jam or Soundgarden - but Nirvana was first of the grunge bands to have the huge hit and achieve that cultural icon status (albeit by ripping off the Pixies' trademark loud-quiet-loud sound :)).

narduch
01-09-2008, 06:51 PM
I actually like Nirvana more now than I did when they were hitting the big time. Sure, they didn't make the greatest, most technical music of all time, but that's not the point. I am of the belief that the best music is about originality, passion and rebelliousness (I understand that rebellion can be fake sometimes).

I think most of the people who hate on Nirvana are the metal heads that are sad that Nirvana helped to end the woeful era of crappy hair metal bands who were making really bad music.

chgorman
01-09-2008, 07:09 PM
Gorman -- do you really want me to get into it? Its a topic that I've discussed and debated numerous times over, yes even more than the Metallica debate (not sure if you were a part of that or not). Both on here and other forums. I've been in the music business in multiple aspects, from the retail end up to artist development for a major record label.

Now true...in the end, I suppose it is really all subjective and a matter of opinion. But if you wanna get into the Nirvana discussion, we can certainly do so. ;)

I'm definitely not gonna go toe to toe with ya on it, but I'd like to hear your argument, if you don't mind posting it. I'm not gonna argue with ya, but I might learn somthing. I like to think I know good music when I hear it, but I certainly can't compete with your experience in the industry, as I have none to speak of, so I'd like to hear your views...

Guess it kinda depends on what your definition of *good* music is.

King_Killah
01-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Agree that Nirvana was overhyped - especially after Cobain's suicide - but I still think they were a very good, often great band at the forefront of an important shift in the music industry. It could have just as easily been Pearl Jam or Soundgarden - but Nirvana was first of the grunge bands to have the huge hit and achieve that cultural icon status (albeit by ripping off the Pixies' trademark loud-quiet-loud sound :)).

Soundgarden have been around for years before Nirvana. Pearl Jam put out better songs, better music, and a better statement and I hate Eddie Vedder.

King_Killah
01-09-2008, 07:23 PM
I actually like Nirvana more now than I did when they were hitting the big time. Sure, they didn't make the greatest, most technical music of all time, but that's not the point. I am of the belief that the best music is about originality, passion and rebelliousness (I understand that rebellion can be fake sometimes).

I think most of the people who hate on Nirvana are the metal heads that are sad that Nirvana helped to end the woeful era of crappy hair metal bands who were making really bad music.

The same could be said for rap music, pop music, and the resurgence of country. There is more to it then Nirvana ending the "woeful era of crappy hair metal bands..."

King_Killah
01-09-2008, 07:23 PM
I'm definitely not gonna go toe to toe with ya on it, but I'd like to hear your argument, if you don't mind posting it. I'm not gonna argue with ya, but I might learn somthing. I like to think I know good music when I hear it, but I certainly can't compete with your experience in the industry, as I have none to speak of, so I'd like to hear your views...

Guess it kinda depends on what your definition of *good* music is.

Alright! I'll post my thoughts.

narduch
01-09-2008, 08:58 PM
The same could be said for rap music, pop music, and the resurgence of country. There is more to it then Nirvana ending the "woeful era of crappy hair metal bands..."

While you're probably right about that, I've found through my experiences that the only people who HATE Nirvana (or think they suck) are metal fans. Most other people either like them or don't care about them at all.

King_Killah
01-09-2008, 09:30 PM
While you're probably right about that, I've found through my experiences that the only people who HATE Nirvana (or think they suck) are metal fans. Most other people either like them or don't care about them at all.

I could agree with that. ...and there are pretty specific reasons on why. I'll elaborate in a little while on that, as per Gorman's request!

Kyle
01-10-2008, 11:35 PM
Amen to that...boo to Nirvana. Overrated, talentless, garbage.

jelmhirst12
01-10-2008, 11:46 PM
Wow... Didn't know this was still going... I started a pretty sick thread here haha.

gagne21
01-13-2008, 09:31 PM
just heard this today. An Oasis cover of Street Fighting Man. I think they do a good job, I'm impressed.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1d-6-yMDO0s

chgorman
01-15-2008, 10:40 AM
just heard this today. An Oasis cover of Street Fighting Man. I think they do a good job, I'm impressed.

I don't mind the RATM cover of that song either.

King_Killah
01-15-2008, 06:15 PM
Mr. Crowley w/Tim "Ripper" Owens on vocals and Yngwie Malmsteen on guitar.

Hamsterkill
01-17-2008, 12:32 PM
Hahahahaha........ it isn't that great. I was just messing with ya... You said the TMBG cover is possibly your favorite, so I was being sarcastic! :lol:

Are you saying you don't like TMBG?! :eek: :lol:

bplax_mooky
01-17-2008, 10:08 PM
A lot of my favorite covers have already been listed. 99 Red Balloons - Goldfinger is a pretty good cover. I also heard a great cover of Who'll Stop the Rain by Rise Against on the radio the other day. Can't think of any others at the moment

ih8music
02-29-2008, 01:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsS811o21-k

:rofl:

NeelyDan
02-29-2008, 02:23 PM
How about Mr. Tambourine Man by Dylan.

King_Killah
02-29-2008, 11:37 PM
How about Def Leppard's version of David Essex's "Rock On."

wolffs79
03-03-2008, 11:54 AM
How about Mr. Tambourine Man by Dylan.

Dylan wrote Mr. Tambourine Man, The Byrds covered it.

Between the Buried and Me's cover of Kick Start My Heart from their CD of covers, The Anatomy Of. Also has covers of Blind Melon's Change and Cemetery Gates. A much better collection than SFU's Graveyard Classics.

King_Killah
03-04-2008, 09:23 PM
Dylan wrote Mr. Tambourine Man, The Byrds covered it.

Between the Buried and Me's cover of Kick Start My Heart from their CD of covers, The Anatomy Of. Also has covers of Blind Melon's Change and Cemetery Gates. A much better collection than SFU's Graveyard Classics.

That entire CD is actually pretty good.

nyihater4life
03-07-2008, 03:11 AM
Not sure who wrote this song first but I dont think Metallica did but I always liked Whisky in the Jar by Metallica.

King_Killah
03-07-2008, 08:51 AM
Not sure who wrote this song first but I dont think Metallica did but I always liked Whisky in the Jar by Metallica.

Bob Seger

narduch
03-07-2008, 09:34 AM
Bob Seger

Its actually a Thin Lizzy song. And if you dig down deeper its a traditional Irish folk song.

The Bob Seger cover was Turn the Page. Another good cover.

King_Killah
03-08-2008, 12:23 AM
Its actually a Thin Lizzy song. And if you dig down deeper its a traditional Irish folk song.

The Bob Seger cover was Turn the Page. Another good cover.

You are correct... The Whiskey in the Jar was actually some Irish jam that Thin Lizzy re-did which then of course Metallica re-did. I always mix those two up.

gagne21
03-15-2008, 08:12 PM
I posted this in the song of the day thread, but Nirvana's cover of Jesus Don't Want Me For A Sunbeam is incredible.

narduch
03-16-2008, 10:06 AM
Just though of another great cover:

Tricky - Black Steel (Public Enemy cover)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Wu8LpalUelY

b_illin
03-16-2008, 01:48 PM

That was a good song

Hockeyis#1
03-17-2008, 11:06 AM
Yeah I thought I'd chip in here with some of my favorite covers along with some that I dislike:

:yes:
Killswitch Engage-Holy Diver
AAF-Smooth Criminal
Manson- Tainted Love, Personal Jesus & Sweet Dreams
Metallic- Turn The Page
Atreyu- Shot Through the Heart
Nirvana-The Man Who Sold The World
Fleet Street- Sunglasses At Night (Note- NONE of you know this band, because it's a friend's band, but they covered this song and it's become a fav of mine)
Guns and Roses- Live and Let Die

Lenny Kravitz- American Women
Korn- Another Brick in the Wall (note- I actually like Korn a lot, I really just don't like this one)
My Chemical Romance- Under Pressure (Another band I like a lot, but they did a shitty job with this cover IMO)
Celion Dion- You Shook Me All Night Long

Whoever did the country version of "Lips of an Angel" by Hinder...I don't know if that constitutes a "cover" because they were out at same time, but the country version was crap....and I DO listen and enjoy some country...

King_Killah
03-17-2008, 02:06 PM
Yeah I thought I'd chip in here with some of my favorite covers along with some that I dislike:

:yes:
Killswitch Engage-Holy Diver
AAF-Smooth Criminal
Manson- Tainted Love, Personal Jesus & Sweet Dreams
Metallic- Turn The Page
Atreyu- Shot Through the Heart
Nirvana-The Man Who Sold The World
Fleet Street- Sunglasses At Night (Note- NONE of you know this band, because it's a friend's band, but they covered this song and it's become a fav of mine)
Guns and Roses- Live and Let Die

Lenny Kravitz- American Women
Korn- Another Brick in the Wall (note- I actually like Korn a lot, I really just don't like this one)
My Chemical Romance- Under Pressure (Another band I like a lot, but they did a shitty job with this cover IMO)
Celion Dion- You Shook Me All Night Long

Whoever did the country version of "Lips of an Angel" by Hinder...I don't know if that constitutes a "cover" because they were out at same time, but the country version was crap....and I DO listen and enjoy some country...

Its "You Give Love a Bad Name" -- haha...

The KSE version of Diver is awesome...and the video makes it even better. Straight Dio with the video!

ih8music
03-17-2008, 03:19 PM
Not sure if it counts as a "cover" as it's more of a re-interpretation of a classic folk song, but hell this is a fucking internet forum, so who cares? :D

Uncle Tupelo - Moonshiner
YouTube- Uncle Tupelo - Moonshiner

the traditional version, as best sung by Mr. Zimmerman
YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.

wolffs79
03-17-2008, 03:20 PM
GG Allin covering Warren Zevon's Carmelita.

I first heard this version when I watched "Hated." I thought to myself, "Damn, that's almost too well written to be GG Allin." Turns out I was right, but I'm not sure if there is a better match of cover artist to song.

tomcat
03-17-2008, 08:48 PM
That Moonshiner cover was cool. I like the vid too; it was calming.

Here are two really good covers:

Chris Isaac, Solitary Man, by Neil Diamomnd.
Social Distortion, Ring of Fire, by Johny Cash.

fuji9991
03-17-2008, 10:44 PM

Istanbul was a cover?:eek: That song rules. Another vote for Blue Monday and Shout

But I think my favorite all time is George Thurougood one scotch one bourbon one beer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISmgOrhELXs

King_Killah
03-20-2008, 06:00 PM
How about Lisa Loeb doing "Goodbye to Romance" (Ozzy)

Or a couple of Skid Row covers: Carrie Underwood doing "I Remember You" and Pink doing "18 and Life" which both are pretty good.

thelaughingtree
03-22-2008, 08:20 PM

Excellent call on this one.

Andrew1125
03-23-2008, 12:51 AM
Not that I'd argue this is the best cover of all time, but a good one nonetheless (in my opinion):

Limp Bizkit - Behind Blue Eyes

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2Pp38SR1lMU

ih8music
03-27-2008, 11:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lNFRLrP014

(yes, that is the actual Red Army Choir doing backing vocals! :lol:)

King_Killah
03-27-2008, 01:03 PM
Not that I'd argue this is the best cover of all time, but a good one nonetheless (in my opinion):

Limp Bizkit - Behind Blue Eyes

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2Pp38SR1lMU

I like Bizkit's/Durst's cover of Blue Eyes waaay more than his version of Home Sweet Home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mfPP6q8tsc

MrScientist
03-28-2008, 08:03 PM
Christian Brothers by Queens of the Stone Age, originally by Elliot Smith

Lucca Brazzi
03-28-2008, 10:46 PM
I have avoided this thread because I just couldn't decide- there are a lot of good ones mentioned. The first one that came to mind was Johnny Cash doing Rusty Cage I actually like it better than the Soundgarden version. Cash sounds just so urgent and evil in that tune. Someone mentioned Judas Priest with The Green Manalishi- also a classic. Metallica's Turn the Page, Hendrix with All Along the Watchtower...

But I have to add another- OZZY with Dweezil Zappa covering Staying Alive by the Bee Gees. It is hysterical manic mix of a disco carrying paint can man riding the Crazy Train.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_D4QhevNPw (http://forums.hockeyinformer.com/www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_D4QhevNPw)

Can't for the life of me figure out how you all embed stuff...

Lucca Brazzi
03-28-2008, 10:47 PM
Hey it worked!!!! I amaze myself!

King_Killah
04-07-2008, 05:55 PM
Stygian doing "Damage Inc."

King_Killah
06-22-2008, 05:26 PM
Again with the lists...

According to the UK's Daily Mail (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1028389/Celine-Dion-tops-poll-offensive-cover-song.html), Celine Dion's cover version of the AC/DC track "You Shook Me All Night Long" has been voted the worst cover song.

Dion, 40, has never released the song as a single but performed the "musical offense" at a Las Vegas concert six years ago.

A SUGABABES and GIRLS ALOUD version of "Walk This Way", which had been a huge hit for AEROSMITH and rappers RUN DMC, came second.

Experts also delivered a verdict on the most successful cover versions.

JIMI HENDRIX's cover of the BOB DYLAN song "All Along the Watchtower" topped the list, with the GUNS N' ROSES' version of the WINGS' song "Live and Let Die" and NIRVANA's cover of "The Man Who Sold the World" by DAVID BOWIE also in the top five.

The list is published in the July issue of UK's Total Guitar magazine.

Worst Cover Songs:

01. CELINE DION - You Shook Me All Night Long (AC/DC)
02. GIRLS ALOUD/SUGABABES - Walk This Way (RUN DMC and AEROSMITH)
03. WESTLIFE - More Than Words (EXTREME)
04. WILL YOUNG - Light My Fire (THE DOORS)
05. THE MIKE FLOWERS POPS - Wonderwall (OASIS)

Best Cover Songs:

01. JIMI HENDRIX - All Along The Watchtower (BOB DYLAN)
02. THE BEATLES - Twist And Shout (THE TOP NOTES)
03. GUNS N' ROSES - Live And Let Die (WINGS)
04. NIRVANA - The Man Who Sold the World (DAVID BOWIE)
05. MUSE - Feeling Good (ANTHONY NEWLEY and LESLIE BRICUSSE)

Dion covered the AC/DC classic "You Shook Me All Night Long" as a duet with Anastacia on the VH1 CD/DVD release "Divas Las Vegas 2002", out via Sony Music. Watch video footage of the performance below.

Dubz
06-22-2008, 06:18 PM
According to the UK's Daily Mail (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1028389/Celine-Dion-tops-poll-offensive-cover-song.html), Celine Dion's cover version of the AC/DC track "You Shook Me All Night Long" has been voted the worst cover song.

I remember somebody posting the youtube vid here as a cruel joke once:$

03. GUNS N' ROSES - Live And Let Die (WINGS) <---I picked this one:cool:

King_Killah
08-27-2009, 08:29 PM
I know we had a thread like this once before, at least I thought so... Anyway, basically... what are some of your favorite covers. I'll kick it off with Paul Gilbert (Mr. Big, Racer X) doing a cover of the Doors - "Light My Fire" at a guitar clinic.

YouTube - Paul Gilbert - Light My Fire cover - Guitar Center Hollywood 08/12/09

Dubz
08-27-2009, 09:53 PM
Ill throw in some GnR again.

YouTube - Guns N' Roses - Live And Let Die: Edited Master

CayugaPosse
08-28-2009, 01:27 AM
Well KK, since you did some Gilbert, I'll trump you with way better Gilbert to open it up.

Yellow Matter Custard covering "While my Guitar Gently Weeps", with Mike Portnoy on drums.

Possibly the most batshit crazy guitar solo I've ever seen...the second half of this song truly is epic.

YouTube - While my Guitar Gently Weeps

narduch
08-28-2009, 09:23 AM
I do remember having a thread like this before.

Here are a few, I'll add more later:

Tricky - Black Steel

YouTube - Tricky - Black Steel: Video

Cake - I Will Survive

YouTube - Cake - I Will Survive

Sepultura - Angel

YouTube - Sepultura - Angel

White Stripes - Death Letter

YouTube - The White Stripes Death Letter

Honourable mention to Big Sugar's Dear Mr. Fantasy cover, but I couldn't find a clean youtube clip of the song.

ih8music
08-28-2009, 12:22 PM
yeah, this topic has already been covered, so to speak :p

http://forums.hockeyinformer.com/showthread.php?t=46405

Cornholio
08-29-2009, 03:59 AM
Should we switch to the other thread then?
Or stick to this one??

Anyway, I LOVE Coversongs in general.
Some are better, some are worse, and some are not even worth speaking of (didn't Britney S. make a version of "I Love Rock'n'Roll"? WTF???)

Some of my faves here:

Warmen - Alone
YouTube - Warmen - Alone
Los Colorados - Hot & Cold
YouTube - Los Colorados Hot & cold

Dimmu Borgir - Metal Heart
YouTube - Dimmu Borgir - Metal Heart (Accept cover)

Death - Painkiller
YouTube - Death - Painkiller

Gamma Ray - H.M. Mania
YouTube - Gamma Ray - Heavy Metal Mania (Holocaust Cover)

Heavens Gate - Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life
YouTube - Always look on the bright side of life-cover by Heavens Gate

Pagan's Mind - Hallo Spaceboy
YouTube - Pagan's Mind - Hallo Spaceboy

Pantera - Cat Scratch Fever
YouTube - Pantera - Cat Scratch Fever (Ted Nugent Cover)

Six Feet Under - TNT
YouTube - Six feet Under - TNT

King_Killah
08-29-2009, 03:34 PM
Love the glam era Pantera.... Haha... I remember seeing them live when they were decked out all glam metal style, the two years later they looked like the Pantera we all know and love.

MrScientist
08-29-2009, 03:41 PM
Astronomy by Metallica, originally Blue Oyster Cult

YouTube - Metallica - Astronomy | with lyrics

Stone Cold Crazy by Eleven featuring Josh Homme, originally Queen

YouTube - Eleven -Feat . Josh Homme- Stone Cold Crazy

King_Killah
08-29-2009, 07:44 PM
Love that Stone Cold Crazy cover... Kinda STP-ish to me.

King_Killah
09-06-2009, 08:31 PM
Hail! doing Walk and Whiplash

Hail! has Tim "Ripper" Owens (Yngwie, Priest, Beyond Fear, Iced Earth) on vocals, Dave Ellefson (Megadeth, F5) on bass, Andreas Kisser (Sepultura) on guitar, Roy Mayorga (Soulfly, Stone Sour) on drums.

YouTube - Hail! - Walk (Live in Trondheim)

YouTube - Hail! - Whiplash (Live in Trondheim)

Dubz
09-06-2009, 08:58 PM
Walk...one of my favs, thanks.

eff1ngham
09-07-2009, 11:22 AM
Should we switch to the other thread then?
Or stick to this one??

A moderator can just merge the two together. If a mod ever looks at this thread.....

ih8music
09-08-2009, 02:36 AM
^ good idea.

Gern Blansten
09-08-2009, 01:54 PM
Goldfinger - Just Like Heaven YouTube - Goldfinger - Just Like Heaven (The Cure Cover)

Goldfinger - Rio YouTube - Goldfinger - Rio - Live

Agent Orange - On A Plain YouTube - Agent Orange - On A Plain (Nirvana cover/With download link)

Dynamite Hack - Boyz N The Hood YouTube - dynamite hack boys in the hood

MxPx - Take On Me YouTube - MxPx - Take On Me (Cover)

Too many good covers out there. Great thread, BTW!

King_Killah
09-08-2009, 11:05 PM
With some talk about the new Slayer album coming...there are some good songs that Slayer covers.

In A Gadda Da Vida - Iron Butterfly
YouTube - Slayer - In-A-Gadda da vida

Witching Hour - Venom
YouTube - Slayer - Witching Hour

Hand of Doom - Black Sabbath
YouTube - SLAYER ~ HAND OF DOOM

King_Killah
09-08-2009, 11:09 PM
How about the Cardigan's doing Sabbath's Going Through Changes

YouTube - The Cardigans - Changes (Black Sabbath cover)

Cornholio
09-10-2009, 02:13 PM
In A Gadda Da Vida - Iron Butterfly
Check out the Blind Guardian Version ;)

YouTube - Blind Guardian - In a gadda da vida (Cover)

b_illin
09-18-2009, 03:38 PM
Cover of Snoop's Gin & Juice that we've all heard
YouTube - Gin and Juice Music Video

Sublime's cover of The Grateful Dead's Scarlet Begonias
YouTube - Sublime - Scarlet Begonias

Kyle
09-19-2009, 02:24 PM
"Stargazer" by Rainbow, performed by Dream Theater

YouTube - Dream Theater-Stargazer

Petrucci's solo around 3:30 is just incredible, the guitar solo is one part of a cover that should never be recreated 100% (Any solos really except particularly distinct sounding sections that define a song). It shows a lot of respect to the original song but its definitely a completely unique Petrucci solo that shows off his style. LaBrie covers Dio's voice extremely well, its a really solid cover top to bottom of one of the best songs of all time.

ih8music
10-21-2009, 04:04 PM
Just came across this one. There's something that seems so very wrong about a guy like Steve Earle doing reggae - but I think his version of this song is quite good.

YouTube - Steve Earle & The V-Roys - Johnny Too Bad (Live)

King_Killah
10-22-2009, 11:57 AM
Just read a bunch of stuff on the legendary Diamond Head, so to lay some props to them gotta go with one of the Metallica covers of their stuff:

Am I Evil?
YouTube - Metallica-Am I Evil?

Cornholio
10-22-2009, 03:46 PM
Yes I am! http://www.greensmilies.com/smile/smiley_emoticons_cooler.gif

Kyle
10-22-2009, 10:26 PM
Just read a bunch of stuff on the legendary Diamond Head, so to lay some props to them gotta go with one of the Metallica covers of their stuff:

Am I Evil?
YouTube - Metallica-Am I Evil? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX-Uns2sqaE)

Too bad they skipped the better half of the song. This is easily one of the best covers ever.

I rented GH: Metallica a few weeks ago and wow did this song fucking hurt.

Cornholio
10-22-2009, 10:46 PM
I always get thrown out at the second half, that solo part... :D

Kyle
10-22-2009, 10:50 PM
How about that Mercyful Fate solo? The game is fucking mean.

Dubz
10-23-2009, 09:30 AM
Im sure this one has been mentioned

YouTube - Metallica - Turn The Page

Kyle
10-23-2009, 10:02 AM
YouTube - Welcome To The Jungle - John 5 - The Devil Knows My Name

This is fun to listen to.

Andrew1125
10-24-2009, 04:34 AM
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet (wouldn't count on it), so here's my current favourite cover:

The orginal...
YouTube - Terry reid - Rich Kid Blues
and the even better cover...
YouTube - The Raconteurs Rich kid blues

Motorcat
10-24-2009, 07:54 AM
Tainted Love - Marilyn Manson ... check the video out - hotness

Summer Breeze - Type O Negative

abusiveninja
10-25-2009, 10:39 AM
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet (wouldn't count on it), so here's my current favourite cover:

The orginal...
YouTube - Terry reid - Rich Kid Blues (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrgjEUfRcdU)
and the even better cover...
YouTube - The Raconteurs Rich kid blues (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NskSnQIPBBM)

Excellent call.

I like this City Wolf cover of The Pixies better than the original...

YouTube - Where is my Mind

Gern Blansten
06-28-2010, 12:08 AM
Just found this:

YouTube- Gretchen Wilson & Alice in Chains - Barracuda

King_Killah
07-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Yeah I remember when that was on TV. Gretchen Wilson actually has this song in her set list during her shows.

MrScientist
07-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Some great shit here:

YouTube- Queens of the Stone Age - Paranoid

This one is a technical cover, but pretty familiar ;) (Oliveri is pretty poor on bass and vocals here but I love the original so I can't not post it)

YouTube- Queens Of The Stone Age - Supa Scoopa And Mighty Scoop

Dubz
07-02-2010, 12:15 AM
I heard Turn the Page the other day that was kick ass. Of course it was Metallica. Im sure its been said ten times but heres the vid anyhow

YouTube- Metallica - Turn The Page

chgorman
07-02-2010, 07:44 AM
Im sure this one has been mentioned

YouTube - Metallica - Turn The Page (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOibtqWo6z4)

I heard Turn the Page the other day that was kick ass. Of course it was Metallica. Im sure its been said ten times but heres the vid anyhow

YouTube- Metallica - Turn The Page (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOibtqWo6z4)

:lol::lol:

I think it's only been mentioned twice, but it's been you both times, haha

habsfan1
07-03-2010, 09:18 AM
Here is a video of Dave Matthew's all along the watchtower live in central park, best version I've heard, of course I love Jimmy's version too.

YouTube- Dave Matthews Band - Central Park - All Along the Watchtower

Dubz
07-05-2010, 02:54 PM
:lol::lol:

I think it's only been mentioned twice, but it's been you both times, haha

I suppose when it relates to your life so closely its inevitable...i may be posting that song again real soon:\

This ones probably already in here but its a good listen anytime.

YouTube- Five Finger Death Punch Bad Company

HABS_FrEaK
07-31-2010, 06:28 PM
Don't know if this has been posted but I have always enjoyed this cover. It's completely different from all the metal covers you guys posted but I always enjoy some good acoustic music :D

YouTube- Hey Ya Cover

Gern Blansten
12-20-2010, 10:43 AM
Nina Gordon is from Veruca Salt. Comical twist on a gangsta rap classic:

YouTube - Straight Outta Compton - Nina Gordon

Doctego
12-20-2010, 11:07 AM
I remember how pleasantly surprised I was when I heard Heart do Rock and Roll by Led Zep:

YouTube - Heart - Rock And Roll (live 1980)

Andrew1125
02-07-2011, 11:07 AM
I just stumbled across this one recently. Not ready to call it the best cover of all time, but pretty damn good.
YouTube - Hanne Hukkelberg - Break My Body
(the original...)
YouTube - Pixies "Break My Body"

ih8music
02-07-2011, 07:00 PM
^ nice. I like it when the cover transforms the song into something new.

In a similar vein, I always liked this cover of Answering Machine by the Replacements:
YouTube - SCOUT covers the Replacements Tune Answering Machine

(original)
YouTube - The Replacements - Answering Machine

Gern Blansten
02-07-2011, 11:40 PM
Really solid posts Andrew and Ih8! Two of my favorite bands and both covers do each song justice!

I enjoyed TV On The Radio lately. They do a nice cover of Mr. Grieves from the Pixies.

YouTube - TV on the Radio - Mr. Grieves

....and the original:

YouTube - Pixies-Mr. Grieves

Cornholio
02-13-2011, 11:56 AM
Brainstorm - Amarillo :D

YouTube - Brainstorm - Amarillo

Kyle
02-13-2011, 10:02 PM
This is a remix not a cover, but, its awesome so fuck it :beer:

YouTube - The Malah "High Hopes" Pink Floyd remix @ Bear Creek 2010

Gambit
02-14-2011, 12:04 AM
I really like the cover of Hurt that Clint Lowery from Sevendust did live.

ih8music
02-24-2011, 06:41 PM
Just came across this one. Dare I say that Shatner's version kicks ass over the original?

YouTube - William Shatner - Common People

YouTube - Pulp -- Common People

nyrblue2
02-24-2011, 07:13 PM
The Dirty Heads cover Coldplay

YouTube - Coldplay - Viva La Vida LIVE by The Dirty Heads @RAWsession Cover

abusiveninja
03-04-2011, 07:34 PM
YouTube - Rage Against the Machine Pistol Grip Pump

YouTube - Pistol Grip Pump - by Volume 10

Rocklobster
03-11-2011, 07:35 PM
lots of good covers mentioned in this thread.
Gotta love all along the watch tower by hendrix.
Someone mentioned 311 doing lovesong, lol it's terrible :lol:

pumpkins were good at covers back in the day. Cinnamon girl, landslide, never let me down again, godzilla.

deftones do an awesome version of sade's no ordinary love. they have lots of great covers that they do.

Led zeppelin covered babe I'm gonna leave you and I can't quit you baby as well as other pretty awesome tunes most people don't know were covers.

Foo fighters cover gary numans down in the park is pretty cool too.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/u3CYOGFMe1o?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ih8music
05-18-2011, 08:09 AM
YouTube - Oak Ridge Boys- Seven Nation Army (2009)

effing bizarre... yet it kinda works.

King_Killah
07-10-2011, 07:42 PM
How about the Iron Maidens covering Iron Maiden?!?!?!

Wasted Years....

What makes this good is that the singer (who goes by the name Bruce Chickinson) throws in the signature Bruce Dickinson high top sneakers and the one foot on the amps up front.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yHU7xz5BBD8

Cornholio
07-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Some of you guys who like accoustic covers should check out the band "Maiden United".
The lead singer is Damian Wilson (Threshold), the guitar player and drummer is from Within Temptation. On some songs and at some gigs, former The Gathering singer Anneke van Giersbergen joins the band, check it out!
I don*'t like all their songs, but they are definetely worth listening to, at least once ;)

YouTube - &#x202a;Maiden United - Revelations&#x202c;&rlm;

ih8music
09-07-2011, 06:37 PM
not a "great" cover per se, but pretty funny

Jeff Tweedy performs the Black Eyed Peas&#39; "I Gotta Feeling" | Time Out Chicago - YouTube

Gern Blansten
09-07-2011, 09:10 PM
^ That was hilarious! Did you check him doing "My Humps?"

ih8music
09-08-2011, 12:43 PM
^ That was hilarious! Did you check him doing "My Humps?"
Yeah, I guess he did a few of their songs. Not sure the backstory of why, but it's some pretty funny stuff nonetheless.

fancy19
09-08-2011, 07:35 PM
I think this was posted on another thread a while ago but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHoshkgwPpY

snoopzen
09-08-2011, 09:25 PM
I love the concept behind the "Playing for Change" series of songs:

Sittin' On The Dock Of The Bay | Playing For Change - YouTube

Imagine - Playing for change foundation - Preformed around the world in HD - YouTube

ih8music
09-08-2011, 11:21 PM
^ those were great, thanks.

ih8music
04-24-2012, 03:14 PM
I thought this was a joke when I heard they were doing it, but they pulled it off...

Lucero covers Bowie (http://www.avclub.com/articles/lucero-covers-david-bowie,70711/)

Vocals are obviously very different (still good though) -- but the band just nails it. Made it their own while also being in spirit with the original.

ih8music
05-22-2012, 03:55 PM
Can't decide what I like best about this cover:
- that they made Hall & Oats sound good?
- that she whips out a surprisingly great kazoo solo in the middle?
- that they did this while driving along in their van.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJiCUdLBxuI