PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Red Wings Thread - Enough of us here

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

WinnipegWingnut
11-28-2007, 10:02 AM
So I figured since the Leafs have their own thread, there are tons of us Wing nuts here to have our own as well.

To be honest I don't have many complaints about our team right now. Ozzy has been solid, so I hope Babcock keeps playing him over the old man. Might be nice to see Jimmy Howard come up for a game or two and see how he is progressing.

The one thing I have noticed for many years that we do need is a tough guy. Lilja can't be fighting guys like Phaneuf as he did (sort of) last night. Other teams know they can hit one of our top players and get away with it.

On a side not, wow, Hudler got his bell rung by Phaneuf, great hit.

eykwingnut
11-28-2007, 12:10 PM
keep downey in the line-up.
keep ur head up hudler.
keep hasek on the bench.
keep those hits coming kronwall.
keep zetterberg and datsyuk together.
keep paying that price in front of the net holmstrom, ur my hero.

chgorman
11-28-2007, 12:17 PM
So I figured since the Leafs have their own thread, there are tons of us Wing nuts here to have our own as well.

To be honest I don't have many complaints about our team right now. Ozzy has been solid, so I hope Babcock keeps playing him over the old man. Might be nice to see Jimmy Howard come up for a game or two and see how he is progressing.

The one thing I have noticed for many years that we do need is a tough guy. Lilja can't be fighting guys like Phaneuf as he did (sort of) last night. Other teams know they can hit one of our top players and get away with it.

On a side not, wow, Hudler got his bell rung by Phaneuf, great hit.

'Tough guys' - in the traditional 'goon' sense of the word -don't fit their system though. They need guys who can stand up for their teammates but also keep up with the play, play solid defensively, and contribute a couple sog's and a nice pass or two here and there. That's why I really like what they've done by getting Drake and Downey. Neither are heavyweights, but both can go, can hold their own with just about anybody when it comes to the fisticuffs (Downey moreso than Drake, but Drake can still toss the knobs), but can also keep up with their other resposibilities for the most part and contribute in other ways as well.

I'd obviously love to see a Probie type guy come up through the system, as he's the epitome of a tough mofo who could also score regularily, but those are once in a lifetime type players and don't come along everyday. For now, I like what Downey and Drake give them.

That aside, Kron needs to start producing more offensively, Hudler needs to ditch the inconsistency and start scoring more regularily, the 2nd line needs to provide 2nd line type offence, and Hasek needs to get back to playing good hockey (but with the way Ozzie is playing, I don't see any big need for Dom to get back on track right away, certainly not a desperation situation), but the team as a whole is still pretty dominating most nights (except against CHI, lol), so I personally don't have too many concerns at this point. As long as they don't suffer any major injuries, I only see them getting better as the season goes along, as the young guns mature a little more and get more used to getting regular icetime, which is a bit of a scary thought for the rest of the league.

Doctego
11-28-2007, 12:24 PM
Any reason why they give up a bunch more shots when Osgood is in net??

WinnipegWingnut
11-28-2007, 12:47 PM

They are probably more confident in Ozzy than Dom. Let's face it Hasek usually gives up one easy one a game, and usually gives the puck away at least once a game. The less this guy see's/touches the puck the better! :lol:

I see what your saying chgor... I just don't like seeing Lilja going to fight Phaneuf. Let's face it, if Lilja didn't hold on for dear life and trip Phaneuf, Dion would have killed him! It's hard to find a good play making tough guy, but come on, there has to be another guy like McCarty out there somewhere? I still remember his hat trick in the playoffs! That was awesome. Too bad the guy has more debt than the US government right now and got his life off track.

Interesting tid bit I heard on That's Hockey last night. Detroit has the most scouts of any NHL team! No wonder we keep landing these gems in late rounds. Of course Kenny also said part of it is luck! haha

two24four
11-28-2007, 01:01 PM
keep ur head up hudler.

haha, that was a great hit last night, Dion is the man when it comes to hits.

chgorman
11-28-2007, 02:53 PM
They are probably more confident in Ozzy than Dom. Let's face it Hasek usually gives up one easy one a game, and usually gives the puck away at least once a game. The less this guy see's/touches the puck the better! :lol:

I see what your saying chgor... I just don't like seeing Lilja going to fight Phaneuf. Let's face it, if Lilja didn't hold on for dear life and trip Phaneuf, Dion would have killed him! It's hard to find a good play making tough guy, but come on, there has to be another guy like McCarty out there somewhere? I still remember his hat trick in the playoffs! That was awesome. Too bad the guy has more debt than the US government right now and got his life off track.

Interesting tid bit I heard on That's Hockey last night. Detroit has the most scouts of any NHL team! No wonder we keep landing these gems in late rounds. Of course Kenny also said part of it is luck! haha

If the fight happened immediately after the hit, then it could simply be a case of a) Lilja was the toughest guy on the ice for the Wings when it happend, or b) he was closest to Dion when it happened (aside from Huds, obviously), or c) both.

I'm sure if Downey had've been out there, he woulda done some damage, and Drake probably woulda at least got in Dion's face, but I'm guessing Lilja was the best/only option out there when it happened, so he jumped in.

If the fight happened a few minuites after the hit, then that's a different story, not sure why they woulda sent Lilja out to take on Phaneuf.

But yeah, would nice to have a McCarty type guy back in the mix if he could get his life together, however he's gettin old, and he's a guy in the Probert mold (although obviously not nearly as good) that don't come along every day.

Would love to see the Wings get a guy like Carcillo, but Wayne is in love with him and won't be giving him up anytime soon, if ever. Wouldn't mind seeing Avery back in a Wings uni now that he's deveolped his overall game a bit more, but I'm happy with what they've got now.

WinnipegWingnut
11-28-2007, 03:06 PM
Yeah you're probably right, Lilja decided to step up and send a message. Pretty sure Hudler was with Sammy and Filupplia (sp?) so neither of them would be dropping the mitts. I think that Lebda was the other D-man, so Lilja probably was the best option.

In NHL 2008 Lilja is always the guy that drops the mitts for my team when playing on the net! hahaha... he kicks ass then ;)

What ever happened to Bootland? If I remember right though the guy had zero skill.

chgorman
11-28-2007, 03:10 PM
Yeah you're probably right, Lilja decided to step up and send a message. Pretty sure Hudler was with Sammy and Filupplia (sp?) so neither of them would be dropping the mitts. I think that Lebda was the other D-man, so Lilja probably was the best option.

In NHL 2008 Lilja is always the guy that drops the mitts for my team when playing on the net! hahaha... he kicks ass then ;)

What ever happened to Bootland? If I remember right though the guy had zero skill.

I think he's with the Isles org now. He was tough, but I don't think he was overly large, and didn't have much else to offer.

WinnipegWingnut
11-28-2007, 03:24 PM
I think he's with the Isles org now. He was tough, but I don't think he was overly large, and didn't have much else to offer.

Yeah... I do remember he wasn't the biggest scariest guy around. Too bad we didn't get a guy like Shane O'Brien, a D-man that can scrap with the best of em and also add in offensively.

chgorman
11-28-2007, 03:29 PM
Yeah... I do remember he wasn't the biggest scariest guy around. Too bad we didn't get a guy like Shane O'Brien, a D-man that can scrap with the best of em and also add in offensively.

yeah, that certainly would be nice. Sounds like Kindl's developed a bit of a mean streak, although he's not much of a fighter, but still should add some more physical presence when he makes the team next year. Kindl/Kron would be a pretty hard hitting 2nd D line to have to play against behind Lids and Raffy.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
11-29-2007, 01:52 AM

I think teams just play differently in front of different net minders. The Wings are clearly more confident with WasGood :p in the net this season. SJ had the same issue happening with Nabby and Tosk early/mid way thru last season.. Only Nabby got little to no goal support, where as the Sharks seemed to light it up when Tosk was in the net. It was quite strange..

WIS
11-29-2007, 02:29 AM
I think teams just play differently in front of different net minders. The Wings are clearly more confident with WasGood :p in the net this season. SJ had the same issue happening with Nabby and Tosk early/mid way thru last season.. Only Nabby got little to no goal support, where as the Sharks seemed to light it up when Tosk was in the net. It was quite strange..
Then what's the difference in Leaf land? Different shooters in the East takes time for Toskala to adjust?

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
11-29-2007, 03:15 AM
Then what's the difference in Leaf land? Different shooters in the East takes time for Toskala to adjust?

Hey Pete I'm not exactly sure what you are asking? Are you implying that Tosk isn't getting any goal support in Toronto, or something entirely different? I don't follow the Leafs closely enough to have an informed opinion here, but I've been under the impression that the Leafs have been a pretty high scoring team this season, however, their defensive unit as a whole is quite horrendous. Are Raycroft and Toskala's numbers quite different or something? I'm not sure if it matters who is in net for Toronto at this point, or how you can justly compare the two teams of Toronto and SJ (who clearly has a much stronger defensive unit in front of their net)

(Sorry guys I know this is a RedWing thread and we are suddenly talking about the ML goaltending, but it was semi-related there for a second, and I'm quite sure this thread will find it's way back on track soon enough!)

WinnipegWingnut
11-29-2007, 09:48 AM
No prob Sponger! I agree though, Toronto's expensive blue line doesn't compare defensively to SJ's. Plus SJ has this one guy that makes every player on the ice look amazing.... and Toronto... well, Sundin is good, but not Joe Thornton good.

beanz
11-29-2007, 10:30 AM
GO WINGS!!!

that should get things back on track....

chgorman
11-29-2007, 10:48 AM
According to Rotoworld, Kopecky practiced with Drake and Downey. There's your toughness 'Peg. Kopecky is fairly large, all three can lay big hits, and two of three can fight (although I beleive all three have dropped 'em at some point this season). I like the look of this line as a solid checking/4th line with both Drapes and Maltby out.

However, rotoworld is saying Meech practiced at forward with Franzen and Cleary - there's an unremarkable 3rd line if I ever saw one.

WinnipegWingnut
11-29-2007, 10:51 AM
What happened to Draps and Maltby? I remember Draper had to be helped off the ice last game, was it that bad?

Yeah that's a solid "tougher" line... I'll give you that.

Forgot to mention, did you see Dats not once but TWICE beat three Flames players to score... man that guy is good.

two24four
11-29-2007, 01:07 PM
I heard Draper is out one to two weeks.

tinkeysersoze
11-29-2007, 02:42 PM
I knew Holmstrom was due to put up some big numbers, I just didn't think Zetts would be this dominant over Datsyuk. His game has evolved so much faster than Datsyuk's. Datsyuk has held pretty steady with slight increases each year, Zetts has improved DRAMATICALLY. Wow. Good on him!

chgorman
11-29-2007, 02:47 PM
What happened to Draps and Maltby? I remember Draper had to be helped off the ice last game, was it that bad?

Yeah that's a solid "tougher" line... I'll give you that.

Forgot to mention, did you see Dats not once but TWICE beat three Flames players to score... man that guy is good.

Drapes - sprained knee. Couldn't have been to bad though, as he drove himself to the hospital after he left the game. Docs are saying 10-14 days, but Drapes himself is saying no more than 10. Not sure where's he's getting that from, 'cause he's certainly not a doc. Probably just wishful thinking, kinda like the docs telling Avery he'll be out a month but him saying it'll only be two wks.

Maltby - shoulder issues. Not sure what, exactly, but sounds like it may just be soreness. He's questionable right now, but could probably play if absolutely necessary, would most definitely be playing if it was playoffs. But since Kopecky, Drake and Downey are all healthy at the same time, and with Meech getting an experimental tryout at forward, no real rush to get Malts back.

And yes, both of Dats' goals on Tues night were SICK, however he really only beat one guy on the first one. The other two Flames were in the area, but weren't really hassling him, as oppsed the 2nd one where he actually managed to get the puck through three Flames to get the shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7C5osU6yx4

P.S. Kipper sure took one off the noggin. Lids doesn't get much credit for his shot, but the guy can absolutely BLAST it when he wants to.

chgorman
11-30-2007, 10:37 AM
Sweet goal by Kopecky last night. Goal is around the 30 sec mark of the clip.

http://broadband.tsn.ca/tsn/?id=348&vid=23482

WinnipegWingnut
11-30-2007, 11:01 AM
Yeah I saw that! VERY nice!

Another great win by the Wings! Did you know that the Lightning haven't won at JLA since 1994 I believe they said.

Is that crazy or what???

WinnipegWingnut
11-30-2007, 11:03 AM
Oh ya... and with the Ottawa loss combined with our win we're first in the NHL again! Good job guys!

Doctego
11-30-2007, 11:10 AM
Yeah I saw that! VERY nice!

Another great win by the Wings! Did you know that the Lightning haven't won at JLA since 1994 I believe they said.

Is that crazy or what???

It is impressive but loses a little because they're in different conferences and don't play that often. Philly hasn't lost in Vancouver since 01/18/89 but, because of retarded scheduling, that is only 13 games. Still impressive, though.

beanz
11-30-2007, 02:09 PM
yeah, it's been some solid play by the Wings lately. can't complain. def like having Kopecky and Drake back in the lineup

WinnipegWingnut
12-06-2007, 10:10 AM
Forgot to mention this yeasterday... Lilja drops the mitts again! Is it just me or does Lilja put on the good show dropping the mitts, taking off the helmet, etc and then he just holds on and takes the guy down?? hahaha

chgorman
12-06-2007, 10:30 AM
Forgot to mention this yeasterday... Lilja drops the mitts again! Is it just me or does Lilja put on the good show dropping the mitts, taking off the helmet, etc and then he just holds on and takes the guy down?? hahaha

He doesn't *seem* all that tough, but he's a big body, and seems to have no problem standing up for his teammates (and is decent defensively), so I don't mind having him around at all. Truthfully, I'd much rather see Kindl in his spot, developing his NHL game on the 3rd pairing, but I'm guessing that'll come after this season, as Lilja is FA at the EOS, isn't he?

WinnipegWingnut
12-06-2007, 11:55 AM
I like Lilja.... but if you're going to scrap then drop the mitts and toss em, don't just hold on and take the guy down.

chgorman
12-06-2007, 02:38 PM
I like Lilja.... but if you're going to scrap then drop the mitts and toss em, don't just hold on and take the guy down.

Well, like I said, although he's big, and can throw a decent hit (although the one that led to that fight looked a little dirty), he doesn't seem overly tough, so maybe he just doesn't bother trying to go blow for blow, and just tries to hold on. Seems to me like it's more about the message he's sending by dropping 'em with somebody than actually trying to pummel someone's face. In this particular incident, he was probably just trying to defend himself after laying a bit of a cheap hit, as opposed to sending a message.

I agree with you, would be nice if he started tossing some fists, but I'm just happy that he's willing to stand up for himself and his teammates to some extent, which is something that's been missing the past few years before Drake/Downey, and before Lilja started playing more physically.

WinnipegWingnut
12-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Thought I would post this (two weeks old now), THN rated the Wings the best all around franchise in the NHL... even with the crappy attendance these days.

http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/sports/story.html?id=44a39644-7242-4326-afa5-5924fe03c8cd

WinnipegWingnut
12-11-2007, 12:09 PM
Figure I'd bump this up.

Is it just me... or is every other Wing fan over impressed with our so called "too old" goaltending situation??

I had a argument with a friend while playing him at NHL 08 over the PS2 on the net. He was trying to tell me that both Ozzy and Hasek will burn out and lose in the playoffs for us....

Pretty sure with two solid goalies we don't have to worry about one getting over worked.

beanz
12-11-2007, 01:07 PM
the way they are splitting games now, they are going to be just fine down the stretch. These guys aren't just old goalies who've never felt the pressure/stress of a season + playoffs, they, as well as the coaches, know how to manage themselves over this season. Howard will start here and there too i'd believe, prob end of jan at some point. The Wings have nothing to worry about AT ALL in net.

chgorman
12-11-2007, 07:36 PM
I expected it to be good, but certainly not this good. Especially not Ozzy. I figured Dom would be better, but he seems to be rounding into midseason form, so I'm not worried.

Not to change the subject on ya (even though though that's exactly what I'm doing, sorry) but you know what I would love to see? The Wings keep this lineup the entire season, don't make any significant moves at the deadline, and win with the team thye have now. Maybe I'm getting a little overexcited with the 7 gm streak, but the kids are really starting to round into form, goaltending is obviously not an issue, nor is defence, Dats is now on fire, and Zetts continues play fantastically. I know it's early to be talking cup. but I would just love to see that happen. Although, I guess that's kinda what every teams' fans hope for, lol. I just think it would be especially nice this year if they didn't give up a solid young kid or prospect at the deadline for a marginal upgrade, for once, and won with the team they have.

WinnipegWingnut
12-12-2007, 12:37 PM
I expected it to be good, but certainly not this good. Especially not Ozzy. I figured Dom would be better, but he seems to be rounding into midseason form, so I'm not worried.

Not to change the subject on ya (even though though that's exactly what I'm doing, sorry) but you know what I would love to see? The Wings keep this lineup the entire season, don't make any significant moves at the deadline, and win with the team thye have now. Maybe I'm getting a little overexcited with the 7 gm streak, but the kids are really starting to round into form, goaltending is obviously not an issue, nor is defence, Dats is now on fire, and Zetts continues play fantastically. I know it's early to be talking cup. but I would just love to see that happen. Although, I guess that's kinda what every teams' fans hope for, lol. I just think it would be especially nice this year if they didn't give up a solid young kid or prospect at the deadline for a marginal upgrade, for once, and won with the team they have.

Never too early with this team, there's no secret that Bowmans usually makes Detroit the lowest payout to win the cup every year.

Zamboners
12-17-2007, 05:51 PM
Vote for Ozzy
All-star balloting endorsement blog
http://www.detroitboard.com/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=18&/

Zamboners
12-21-2007, 02:25 PM
'There Is Still Only One Hockeytown!' Man Who Invented the Phrase Tells Sports Illustrated
FERNDALE, Mich., Dec. 21 /PRNewswire/ -- Attention Sports Editors: Following is the text of a letter from Gary Topolewski, Detroit advertising creative executive, to Sports Illustrated magazine, regarding SI's article suggesting that Detroit may be losing its claim to the Hockeytown title.

Link:
http://www.kxxv.com/global/story.asp?s=7529285

phaneuf6
12-22-2007, 11:52 AM
Hey Wings fans, any news on Holmstrom? I just traded for him last week, wondering if this knee problem is serious or if you guys are waiting for the MRI just like I am.

Zamboners
12-22-2007, 02:39 PM
Hey Wings fans, any news on Holmstrom? I just traded for him last week, wondering if this knee problem is serious or if you guys are waiting for the MRI just like I am.

coach Mike Babcock said he received good news on Tomas Holmstrom. The MRI on his right knee revealed no ligament damage, only a bone bruise. Babcock said he's not sure how many more games Holmstrom will miss, but it's definitely not a long-term injury.
link: http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2007/12/zetterberg_back_out_tonight_go.html

phaneuf6
12-22-2007, 03:12 PM
coach Mike Babcock said he received good news on Tomas Holmstrom. The MRI on his right knee revealed no ligament damage, only a bone bruise. Babcock said he's not sure how many more games Holmstrom will miss, but it's definitely not a long-term injury.
link: http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2007/12/zetterberg_back_out_tonight_go.html

Thanks. That's a definite relief. Didn't want to be losing Holmstrom a day after losing Williams.

WinnipegWingnut
12-24-2007, 12:13 PM
Hopefully Zett's back isn't too bad either... I was hoping this would be the year he plays a full season. Nuts.

Zamboners
12-27-2007, 04:31 PM
Wings vs Avs tonight. Although the rivalry isn't what it was a few years back, there's still room for good hearted antagonizing.

Meet the 2007/2008 Official mascot of your Colorado Avalanche:
http://deadspin.com/sports/male-prostitutes/who-has-colorado-avalanche-fever-279803.php
A 27-year-old man who was posing as a woman when he was arrested by Denver police...climbed into the officer's car and offered to perform a sex act for $30...(he) had long hair and makeup and was wearing an Avalanche jersey.

WinnipegWingnut
01-02-2008, 10:46 AM
Sounds like Zetts should be back tonight... which is a damn good thing. When was the last time the Wings were shut out before the last loss to the Blues?? anyone know?

chgorman
01-02-2008, 11:27 AM
Not this year for sure. The announcers for the STL game said that was the first time this year the Wings have been shut out, so you'd have to back to at least last season sometime, if not before.

edit: after a quick check, looks like late APR last season was the last time, a 2-0 loss to SJ (which they subsequently avenged in the 2nd round of the playoffs ;):D)

Hockeyis#1
01-02-2008, 01:07 PM
Last regular season shut out was last season against Manny Legace and the Blues

Jake
01-02-2008, 07:06 PM
Yeah, and they had the record at that point

WinnipegWingnut
01-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Figured I'd bump this and just thank the Big Red Machine for helping me lead the UKHL by over 60 points now I believe. Have to love a league where you pick your team and use only Red Wing players. Must say, the team hasn't let me down much at all :)

I have a feeling the Dominator will string some good second half SO's together and get close to the 9 he had last year. I was worried at the start of the year about Dom, but like last year he has proved me wrong.

eykwingnut
01-08-2008, 07:19 PM
i had a chance to get 3rd row tickets tonight at the joe but im poor.

WinnipegWingnut
01-09-2008, 08:39 AM
Wow... another SO. The team is rolling, but why is the scoring slumping now?

Also congrats to Chelly for now being the second oldest player to ever play the game! Beat Gordie Chris! you can do it! :lol:

Too bad you too poor eyk, out of curiousity what are the ticket prices? My friend in Toronto keeps telling me that they are going to move the team because they can't pack the building and are selling $9 tickets :eek:

Clearly he's just jealous that our team is so dominate, but is there any truth to it?

beanz
01-09-2008, 01:34 PM
man, good to see both "over-the-hill" goalies are playing great. possibly, if not hands down, the best 1-2 goalie punch in the league. they are looking real stable and i love the trade off of games and it appears they do too. the Wings, even with the lower scoring of late, just keep gettin it done. Amazing. this team has some great depth, gotta love it!

two24four
01-09-2008, 01:35 PM
Also congrats to Chelly for now being the second oldest player to ever play the game! Beat Gordie Chris! you can do it! :lol:

haha, they where talking about this last night during one of the INT during the Habs game on TSN last night, they said Chelly is in such good shape that they are sure he wants to play at least intill he's 52 years old, so he can break Howe's record, as the oldest player ever to play, means about another 6 years of playing for Chelly :eek:

WinnipegWingnut
01-09-2008, 01:49 PM
haha, they where talking about this last night during one of the INT during the Habs game on TSN last night, they said Chelly is in such good shape that they are sure he wants to play at least intill he's 52 years old, so he can break Howe's record, as the oldest player ever to play, means about another 6 years of playing for Chelly :eek:

I saw the "Be A Player Episode" years back when they showed what Chris and Rob Blake do all summer for work outs. It's pretty damn intense, so it wouldn't surprise me if he did. His body can handle it.

Also on a side note, mad props to the Wings on having 50% of the starting line up for the West All-Stars! That must be close to a record.

two24four
01-09-2008, 01:53 PM
I saw the "Be A Player Episode" years back when they showed what Chris and Rob Blake do all summer for work outs. It's pretty damn intense, so it wouldn't surprise me if he did. His body can handle it.

Yeah I something like that on the two of them, maybe the same show, it was pretty nuts.

two24four
01-09-2008, 01:54 PM
Osgood signs extension.......3 year deal.

TSN.ca

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=226837&hubname=

chgorman
01-09-2008, 01:55 PM
man, good to see both "over-the-hill" goalies are playing great. possibly, if not hands down, the best 1-2 goalie punch in the league. they are looking real stable and i love the trade off of games and it appears they do too. the Wings, even with the lower scoring of late, just keep gettin it done. Amazing. this team has some great depth, gotta love it!

I'd say EASILY the best 1-2 combo in the league, without question.

WinnipegWingnut
01-09-2008, 04:43 PM
Just noticed that we have probably one of the toughest challenges of the year coming up. Ottawa - Detroit on Saturday! Should be a solid game, see how the Ottawa goalie (whoeevr it is then) handles all those shots!

phaneuf6
01-09-2008, 06:52 PM
Now only if he would put some points on the board and he'd make a great keeper! :lol:

chgorman
01-09-2008, 06:52 PM
Just noticed that we have probably one of the toughest challenges of the year coming up. Ottawa - Detroit on Saturday! Should be a solid game, see how the Ottawa goalie (whoeevr it is then) handles all those shots!

The LEafs are in SJ Sat, right? Does that mean this might be the early game with the Leafs in the late game on CBC? Or is either game an afternoon game?

eykwingnut
01-09-2008, 06:58 PM
The LEafs are in SJ Sat, right? Does that mean this might be the early game with the Leafs in the late game on CBC? Or is either game an afternoon game?
i just skipped ahead on my cable box and ur correct. it shows det -vs- ott as the early game and tor -vs- sj as the late game.

chgorman
01-09-2008, 07:15 PM
i just skipped ahead on my cable box and ur correct. it shows det -vs- ott as the early game and tor -vs- sj as the late game.

Nice! Should be a great Wings/OTT game. Both teams should be pretty jacked up for it! Then Tosk facing his old team. Should be a good night for hockey watching, around here anyway.

two24four
01-09-2008, 07:57 PM
Nice! Should be a great Wings/OTT game. Both teams should be pretty jacked up for it! Then Tosk facing his old team. Should be a good night for hockey watching, around here anyway.

Yeah it's deff the early game Saturday night.........Saturday will be a good night for Sports, hockey and Pats game at 8pm, cant wait.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
01-10-2008, 02:20 AM
Can't say I'm surprised about the 3 year extension for Osgood.. with the way he's been playing. I am just soooo upset that I can't justly call him WASGood anymore :dead:

LFk
01-10-2008, 02:36 AM
Well you can change it to Isgood.

About as catchy.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
01-10-2008, 02:39 AM
Well you can change it to Isgood.

About as catchy.

but not nearly as enjoyable or taunting... :cry:

honestly though, who do the Wings have in minors that might be a sort of future for them anyway? I can't imagine Hasek sticking around much longer so the 3 year for ozzie is a good comfort for the Wings to have.

WinnipegWingnut
01-10-2008, 08:44 AM
but not nearly as enjoyable or taunting... :cry:

honestly though, who do the Wings have in minors that might be a sort of future for them anyway? I can't imagine Hasek sticking around much longer so the 3 year for ozzie is a good comfort for the Wings to have.

Jimmy Howard... although he isn't being too impressive. I'm sure Holland will sign someone good if he needs to, he's never been afraid to in the past.

Sweet! Ott - Det as the first HNIC game.... I love it! Sooooo tired of seeing the ACC every Saturday at 6pm.

On a side note, the TSN panel voted where they think we'll see Sundin come the trade deadline. 2 of the 3 (MacKenzie and Dreger - I think it was Dreger can't remember) picked Toronto, but "Mad" Mike Millbury (as they refer to him as :lol:) thinks Mats will end up in Motown! This I wouldn't mind, but my question is, do we really need him? and will it be worth giving up picks/prospects to rent Mats for a cup run? I'm still bitter that we lost Shawn Matthais in the Bertuzzi deal.... that was a high price to pay for a guy that did pretty much nothing.

Thoughts?

chgorman
01-10-2008, 09:35 AM
Allan Muir on SI.com is suggesting they'd have to give Hudler, Kindl or Brendan Smith, and a couple picks, which is NOT AT ALL worth it IMO. I see no need to rent Sundin, especially if it's gonna cost an emerging star like Hudler and one of the top D prospects in the game in Kindl or Smith. There's no need to get rid of any of those guys or picks, they're future stars.

If they're gonna trade prospects, they better get somebody who will be with them for a while, none of this Bert/Sundin rental BS.

I honeslty don't see why they need to make ANY moves. They're owning the league right now, with no signs of slowing down. If they sustain a couple major, season ending injuries to a couple key guys, then yeah, maybe make a move, but as it stands now, I odn't see why they can't win the cup with the team they have.

WinnipegWingnut
01-10-2008, 10:30 AM
I 100% agree.... no way they part with Hudler for Sundin. I would only consider parting with maybe one of the young D-men and some later round picks, but I don't think TO needs more D. With Lebda, Lilja, Rafalski, Lidstrom, Quincy, Chelios, Kronwall defense is the only place where we could give up a young talent and not feel the effects that bad.

If Sundin came here and committed to a 1 or 2 year contract, then and only then would I even think about it if I were Holland. But I really don't see how that would work.

two24four
01-10-2008, 11:38 AM
I just brought up the Sundin to DET talk in the Leafs thread, I think it would be a great move for DET, you never know who might get hurt before or during the playoff run, and having Sundin would only help, just think, he prob would not even be on the 1st PP in DET, so that only makes the 2nd PP that much better, and it's already like team Sweden over there, so I'm sure Zetts Lids etc.....would love having him come over...........I think Hudler a 1st round pick and maybe another player back for him would be fair, I think it be worth it for DET, we dont need Kindl or Smith as they are D we dont need anymore D, but Emmerton would be good coming the other way.

I'm not trying to start anything here, really I'm not, but we all know how good DET can be during the reg season to only lose in round 1 or something to EDM or someone like that, nothing is for sure in the playoffs, Sundin would only make the players around him that much bettter.

On a side note, I would much rather see them trade Sundin to the Ducks and get the Oilers 1st round pick the Ducks got in the Penner deal, it should be a very high pick this year, then having our own would be huge.

tinkeysersoze
01-10-2008, 11:56 AM
Allan Muir on SI.com is suggesting they'd have to give Hudler, Kindl or Brendan Smith, and a couple picks, which is NOT AT ALL worth it IMO. I see no need to rent Sundin, especially if it's gonna cost an emerging star like Hudler and one of the top D prospects in the game in Kindl or Smith. There's no need to get rid of any of those guys or picks, they're future stars.

If they're gonna trade prospects, they better get somebody who will be with them for a while, none of this Bert/Sundin rental BS.

I honeslty don't see why they need to make ANY moves. They're owning the league right now, with no signs of slowing down. If they sustain a couple major, season ending injuries to a couple key guys, then yeah, maybe make a move, but as it stands now, I odn't see why they can't win the cup with the team they have.

I totally agree with this. Looking at the season thus far, why WOULD Detroit need to alter anything? At no point in this season have they really looked shaky in any particular area. Sure I bet there are some teams that might need Sundin for a playoff drive......only because they might be facing Detroit! :)

No moves are necessary here, I can't see losing young guys for cup run when the team seems pretty primed for the run as it is.....

WinnipegWingnut
01-10-2008, 12:19 PM
I just brought up the Sundin to DET talk in the Leafs thread, I think it would be a great move for DET, you never know who might get hurt before or during the playoff run, and having Sundin would only help, just think, he prob would not even be on the 1st PP in DET, so that only makes the 2nd PP that much better, and it's already like team Sweden over there, so I'm sure Zetts Lids etc.....would love having him come over...........I think Hudler a 1st round pick and maybe another player back for him would be fair, I think it be worth it for DET, we dont need Kindl or Smith as they are D we dont need anymore D, but Emmerton would be good coming the other way.

I'm not trying to start anything here, really I'm not, but we all know how good DET can be during the reg season to only lose in round 1 or something to EDM or someone like that, nothing is for sure in the playoffs, Sundin would only make the players around him that much bettter.

On a side note, I would much rather see them trade Sundin to the Ducks and get the Oilers 1st round pick the Ducks got in the Penner deal, it should be a very high pick this year, then having our own would be huge.

Yeah fair for the Leafs.... but Hudler is going to be our next Zetts/Dats type guy once he developes. I don't think Holland is prepared to give up the future for a shot at the cup, in which they already have a kick ass shot at.

Also, I noticed you mentioned the Oilers. Unlike then, we now have 2 solid goalies, so I am not worried about running into a hot goalie because we have two. If one isn't clicking, go with the other.

As much as I'd love to have Sundin help us along the ride, it isn't worth it to the Wings. As tinkey mentioned, it's the other Western playoff teams that will want him to try and stop the Wings (and the Ducks now).

WinnipegWingnut
01-11-2008, 09:45 AM
Wow... well didn't expect Minny to be the team to get into an offensive battle with us! Ozzy must have had an off night.

WinnipegWingnut
01-16-2008, 02:38 PM
Boy o boy... time to stop the bleeding boys! I think Ozzy needs a rest and give Dom more starts. Seems Ozzy's play has declined since being named an all star.

I know we don't need it, but anyone think we will acquire anyone at the deadline?

chgorman
01-16-2008, 02:51 PM
I hope not. No need to mess with the current chemistry. Everybody knows their roles and plays them well, why fuck that up with a rental who probably won't be around long term?

I'd love to see Hossa in the Red and White if they can sign him long term, but not if he's just gonna be a rental and they gotta give up a bunch of prospects/picks to get him. Plus, with the relatively large contracts they already have, might be tough to build the rest of the team and have a decent supporting stable of players if Dats, Zetts, Hossa, Lids and Rafalski are taking up half the team's cap space.

Mentioned it a month or two ago, and then a week or two ago -- I'd love to see the Wings go wire to wire with the team they started the season with. Hossa would be sweet, but not if it's gonna cost a bunch of the team's future and he leaves after the season.

WinnipegWingnut
01-16-2008, 03:03 PM
I agree 100%... but everytime you watch a hockey show some sportscaster is predicting this guy will be traded to Detroit or that guy.

I really hope Osgood get's out of this funk though, I hope he isn't dogging it now that he got a 3 year extention.

chgorman
01-16-2008, 04:29 PM
I agree 100%... but everytime you watch a hockey show some sportscaster is predicting this guy will be traded to Detroit or that guy.

I really hope Osgood get's out of this funk though, I hope he isn't dogging it now that he got a 3 year extention.

I doubt that's the case. He doesn't seem like that type of guy. He's been sensational all season, playing way over his head (IMO), so he's due for a bit of a let down, a couple bad games doesn't really worry me. If it continues, then I might start to worry a little more, but as long as Dom keeps rolling, it's not an issue as far as I'm concerned. TBH, I wouldn't mind seeing Dom get into a few more games than Ozzie down the stretch. He's got a pretty fragile psyche I think, and it might be good for him to re-establish himself as the unquestioned #1 going into the playoffs, whereas Oz seems completely content to take on whatever role he's thrust into.

Jake
01-17-2008, 02:38 PM
Dats and Zetts on same line ='s win...Split them up ='s loss. Ever since Zetts got back Babcok has kept them on seperate line, lets revert back to the winning ways

WinnipegWingnut
01-17-2008, 03:08 PM
Dats and Zetts on same line ='s win...Split them up ='s loss. Ever since Zetts got back Babcok has kept them on seperate line, lets revert back to the winning ways

Damn it Babcock!!! Don't mess with good chemistry!!! Hudler/Flip/Sammy or Cleary is a damn good second scoring line too!

So what are the lines looking like now?

chgorman
01-17-2008, 03:13 PM
Last I checked, according to the line combos thread in the fantasy section...:

Filp/Dats/Homer
Zetts/Hudler/Cleary
Franzen/Draper/Samuelsson
Maltby/Kopecky/Drake

WinnipegWingnut
01-17-2008, 03:22 PM
Last I checked, according to the line combos thread in the fantasy section...:

Filp/Dats/Homer
Zetts/Hudler/Cleary
Franzen/Draper/Samuelsson
Maltby/Kopecky/Drake

Should flop Zetts and Flip and we'd be set. A top line that every team is going to have a hard time stopping, then a young up-and-comer second line (well minus Cleary) that is fast and hard to contain.

chgorman
01-17-2008, 03:33 PM
Should flop Zetts and Flip and we'd be set. A top line that every team is going to have a hard time stopping, then a young up-and-comer second line (well minus Cleary) that is fast and hard to contain.

Couldn't agree more. Now that Huds is contributing consistently and Filp is well on his way to being productive and relaible, I don't see why Babs shouldn't have full confidence in them as a 2nd line going forward. Heck, they could sub Sammy in for Cleary to get a bigger shot on that line, and they'd be just as well off. Splitting up Dats and Zetts makes no sense to me, but whatever, guess that's why I'm not the coach ;)

WinnipegWingnut
01-17-2008, 03:48 PM
Couldn't agree more. Now that Huds is contributing consistently and Filp is well on his way to being productive and relaible, I don't see why Babs shouldn't have full confidence in them as a 2nd line going forward. Heck, they could sub Sammy in for Cleary to get a bigger shot on that line, and they'd be just as well off. Splitting up Dats and Zetts makes no sense to me, but whatever, guess that's why I'm not the coach ;)

Haha... I agree, I have no clue why Babs did. I think I'd keep Cleary with the youngsters though, I think he'd keep up with them better. Save Sammy for the point on the 2nd PP with that shot.

chgorman
01-17-2008, 04:24 PM
Haha... I agree, I have no clue why Babs did. I think I'd keep Cleary with the youngsters though, I think he'd keep up with them better. Save Sammy for the point on the 2nd PP with that shot.

Yeah, I agree, that's probably for the best, just tossing out ideas for how they can keep Dats/Zetts/Homer together and still mess with the other lines if necessary.

Ultimate_Nux_Fan
01-17-2008, 05:12 PM
Well, two teams that have lost 3 of 4 go at it tonight! It should be a good game, barring any lack of effort on the Canucks part. It sucks that the Canucks will be potentially missing their top 4 D-men tonight but Shorty (John Shorthouse - voice of the Vancouver Canucks) is reporting that Salo and Mitchell are probable. Hopefully we can take at least one off the mighty Wings. The Sharks have already swept the Canucks and I doubt the boys want to be swept by another team this year!

WinnipegWingnut
01-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Well, two teams that have lost 3 of 4 go at it tonight! It should be a good game, barring any lack of effort on the Canucks part. It sucks that the Canucks will be potentially missing their top 4 D-men tonight but Shorty (John Shorthouse - voice of the Vancouver Canucks) is reporting that Salo and Mitchell are probable. Hopefully we can take at least one off the mighty Wings. The Sharks have already swept the Canucks and I doubt the boys want to be swept by another team this year!

It was a dandy.... Rafalski you can thank for getting you guys to OT. Luongo was awesome, the Wings took almost 50 shots on him. Ridiculous. I think Mitchell was playing though, not sure about Salo (was just checking the Yahoo updates as I didn't get the game :( got Edmonton/Wash instead).

chgorman
01-18-2008, 09:55 AM
It was a dandy.... Rafalski you can thank for getting you guys to OT. Luongo was awesome, the Wings took almost 50 shots on him. Ridiculous. I think Mitchell was playing though, not sure about Salo (was just checking the Yahoo updates as I didn't get the game :( got Edmonton/Wash instead).

Not sure if it was the Rafalski own-goal, but the play preceding one of the Nucks' goals was sick. Cleary gets levelled, Sedin takes the puck and puts it around one of the Wings, and goes in on the rush, a couple sweet passes and a spin-o-rama move later and the puck is in the net. I'll see if I can find a vid clip of it.

http://www.nhl.tv/team/console?hlg=20072008,2,694

it's about 3 mins in. The Rafalski own goal. After a 2nd look, it's not as spectacular as I first thought when I first saw it, but a nice play by Sedin regardless, and a huge hit on Cleary to start the play. Too bad they couldn't have scored on a sweet snipe or a sick deke on Dom, as that woulda made it even sweeter, but still a nice play by all invovled.

eykwingnut
01-18-2008, 11:04 AM
what a great game. i got the best of both worlds, a great game by luongo, and a wings win.

Ultimate_Nux_Fan
01-18-2008, 06:12 PM
It got pretty wild there in the third! As a matter of fact, the Canucks were actually owning the Wings at some points. You could tell Hasek was getting all frantic and had had enough on some plays. If only the Canucks could have won it in the shootout but our clutch guys unfortunately couldn't get it done...

Definately a great overall game last night and don't want to knock the team but the result still shows that the Canucks need scoring. LOL, I know I've beaten this subject to death but it's painful knowing how many of these games the Canucks COULD come out the victors if we had a big scorer; the go-to guy! The Sedins can't score all the goals and Luongo can't make 47 saves every night. I'm begging of Nonis to stop hiding behind Luongo, who he seems to think gives us an automatic win and is an excuse to get pluggers like Isbister, Beech, Cowan etc.

mrtybrodur30
01-19-2008, 02:31 PM
pretty big game tonight, especially for the sharks. in the first two games you guys have owned us out scoring us 9-3. but those games were in october so im hoping the sharks come out big for this game.

WinnipegWingnut
01-19-2008, 04:53 PM
pretty big game tonight, especially for the sharks. in the first two games you guys have owned us out scoring us 9-3. but those games were in october so im hoping the sharks come out big for this game.

Hasek in net tonight... he's been on fire lately so that is definitely in our favour. Either way should be a damn good game.

Ultimate_Nux_Fan
01-19-2008, 05:50 PM

Ivanovic is doing pretty well down under eh! Don't think she's lost a set yet...

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
01-19-2008, 11:38 PM
I would just like to take the time to say;

I FUCKING HATE THE REDWINGS!!!!!!

2-1 Wings @ Sharks.. you guys really deflated our boat when you got that shorty on the 4 min penalty. Bastards! Tell Hasek and your boys to man up and stop whining about the goal against 30 seconds later! Bitches! :heart:

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
01-20-2008, 12:07 AM
I'd also like to mention that the dive by Hasek with 6 mins in the 2nd period to go.. BULLSHIT. ooooh I hate how he does that!

And damn I sure am glad that I didn't take up offer to go down to the tank tonight.. those damned Wings have already sent me home 200$ in the hole and depressed on enough occasions. I figured I'd lick my wounds at home this time heheh

chgorman
01-20-2008, 01:01 AM
Wings OWNING 6-3. Yeah, that's right! :hic:

eykwingnut
01-20-2008, 01:14 AM
I would just like to take the time to say;

I FUCKING HATE THE REDWINGS!!!!!!

2-1 Wings @ Sharks.. you guys really deflated our boat when you got that shorty on the 4 min penalty. Bastards! Tell Hasek and your boys to man up and stop whining about the goal against 30 seconds later! Bitches! :heart:

I'd also like to mention that the dive by Hasek with 6 mins in the 2nd period to go.. BULLSHIT. ooooh I hate how he does that!

And damn I sure am glad that I didn't take up offer to go down to the tank tonight.. those damned Wings have already sent me home 200$ in the hole and depressed on enough occasions. I figured I'd lick my wounds at home this time heheh
gooooo wiiiiings!:beer:

thats what ur fans get for booing their own team.

lostchris08
01-20-2008, 01:37 AM
that 2nd period was a shooting gallery!

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
01-20-2008, 02:04 AM
gooooo wiiiiings!:beer:

thats what ur fans get for booing their own team.

did they? Damn. :nono: I wish I could say I'm surprised but it's part of the very reason I have to pay 100$ + for 30/50$ seats to see good NHL teams play in San Jose. A good majority of Sharks fans are a bunch of rich dentists, soccer mom wives with their spoiled little kids who all get all offended when you scream fuck that or bullshit ref! :mad:

Anyway Detroit owns SJ.. even when the Sharks tied it up 2-2 I wasn't too excited with how they were playing. They were a step ahead the entire game and everytime the Sharks tried to get a little momentum going the Wings took it all back. Good game, you guys have an exciting team to watch this year!

nyihater4life
01-20-2008, 02:46 AM
did they? Damn. :nono: I wish I could say I'm surprised but it's part of the very reason I have to pay 100$ + for 30/50$ seats to see good NHL teams play in San Jose. A good majority of Sharks fans are a bunch of rich dentists, soccer mom wives with their spoiled little kids who all get all offended when you scream fuck that or bullshit ref! :mad:

Anyway Detroit owns SJ.. even when the Sharks tied it up 2-2 I wasn't too excited with how they were playing. They were a step ahead the entire game and everytime the Sharks tried to get a little momentum going the Wings took it all back. Good game, you guys have an exciting team to watch this year!

I was at a Flyers/Rangers game and I said something, forgot what it was but I used the word "pussy" and the guy is like "did you just say pussy?" and I guess it was his first hockey game becase he was kinda clueless and his friend or whatever was like "no no no he didnt." I guess he didnt want his friend get the wrong idea? they were grown ups so I dont see what the problem was....

Anyways thats what I have to say about that..:lol:

About the game, I enjoyed it only because Lidstrom helped me out. Im NOT happy The Sharks lost again becase I also have Nabby(and Marty...0 wins this week so far...) They better step it up though. Im not gonna move Nabby because I know hes very good but hes been pissing me off lately

mrtybrodur30
01-20-2008, 05:59 AM
Ivanovic is doing pretty well down under eh! Don't think she's lost a set yet...she she has looked okay so far...i have seen her play better. her stats last match look incredible but it didnt show everything. 1 more win and then its gonna be a head to head with Venus Williams who beat her in the second week in last years wimbledon and u.s. open. so should be good.

mrtybrodur30
01-20-2008, 06:04 AM
ouch! i was looking forward to this game but some family stuff made it so i wasnt able to watch it. anyways it looks like that wasnt a bad thing lol. 6-3 hopefully this will be a loss they learn from so next time they dont come out and give up 6!

Hockeyis#1
01-22-2008, 01:15 PM
I remember hearing somewhere on HI that next season every team is getting a 3rd Jersey in the RBK edge style....didn't think much of anything untill I thought:

WTF is Detroit's third jersey going to be?

chgorman
01-22-2008, 02:00 PM
I really hope its like those old throwbacks they wore in the early 90's, with the horizontal red stripes on the white background and DETROIT across the front. Those would be sweet IMO. I'd definitely consider buying one if that's what they end up like.

eykwingnut
01-22-2008, 02:18 PM
I really hope its like those old throwbacks they wore in the early 90's, with the horizontal red stripes on the white background and DETROIT across the front. Those would be sweet IMO. I'd definitely consider buying one if that's what they end up like.
that or maybe a black jersey?

chgorman
01-22-2008, 02:54 PM
that or maybe a black jersey?

Black might work too... I'd still prefer the throwback style though.

WinnipegWingnut
01-22-2008, 03:06 PM
We're the first team in the history of the NHL to get 30 wins in the first half of the season. Just read that, we might be able to beat our own record of 62 wins!

eykwingnut
01-22-2008, 03:55 PM
We're the first team in the history of the NHL to get 30 wins in the first half of the season. Just read that, we might be able to beat our own record of 62 wins!
i highly doubt well do it this year. wed have to win 28 of our remaining 33 games.

WinnipegWingnut
01-22-2008, 04:51 PM
i highly doubt well do it this year. wed have to win 28 of our remaining 33 games.

Well we have a better start then we did in 96 (or was it 95).

eykwingnut
01-22-2008, 04:59 PM
Well we have a better start then we did in 96 (or was it 95).
we HAD a better start then we did in 96. since the half way point of this season though, we have only won 5 of 8. if u stretch our current record over an 82 games season, we will end up with 58.57 wins.

WinnipegWingnut
01-24-2008, 01:00 PM
Wow... how bout lil Dan Cleary going with Chris Pronger??? That's heart, and I must admit I always say Cleary as a guy that was a hot shot in junior and rode that fame into the NHL, he is beginning to prove me wrong. I don't think his season last year was a fluke at all, as he is on pace to meet or exceed it.

Then last night, he shows he has heart, and stands up to Pronger!!! The best was when Cory Warren on Sportscentre says, "Cleary gives up about a foot in this battle, but makes up for it because he's from Newfoundland, lets call this a draw" hahahaha.

LOVE IT!!!! Also solid B2B win over the Ducks, as they are hot!

Edit: In case anyone missed it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLsO6YFc2uw

two24four
01-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Yeah you have too give it to Cleary for sure for standing up to Pronger that's for sure................ I know what your saying about Cleary coming out of Jr as well, as I used to see him lots in the OHL, I remember when he was about 15 when he 1st came into the OHL, everyone thought he was the next great one, and the media was all over him, same thing happend with Rico Fata and Jason Spezza when they where 15 and 1st coming into the OHL as well, Cleary is just in the last few years playing like a player who should be in the NHL, before that I'm not so sure.

eykwingnut
01-24-2008, 02:18 PM
Wow... how bout lil Dan Cleary going with Chris Pronger??? That's heart, and I must admit I always say Cleary as a guy that was a hot shot in junior and rode that fame into the NHL, he is beginning to prove me wrong. I don't think his season last year was a fluke at all, as he is on pace to meet or exceed it.

Then last night, he shows he has heart, and stands up to Pronger!!! The best was when Cory Warren on Sportscentre says, "Cleary gives up about a foot in this battle, but makes up for it because he's from Newfoundland, lets call this a draw" hahahaha.

LOVE IT!!!! Also solid B2B win over the Ducks, as they are hot!

Edit: In case anyone missed it
my friend and i watch the wings together, and last year we used to rag on cleary a lot. then came the playoffs, he was a BEAST in the playoffs. i loved him going up against pronger last night! statement win for the wings.

WinnipegWingnut
01-24-2008, 02:25 PM
my friend and i watch the wings together, and last year we used to rag on cleary a lot. then came the playoffs, he was a BEAST in the playoffs. i loved him going up against pronger last night! statement win for the wings.

Big time! You know Holmstrom was rooting for Danny boy! I'm impressed with him, he's really accepted his role with the Wings and is showing his heart.

Hockeyis#1
01-26-2008, 08:14 AM
Black might work too... I'd still prefer the throwback style though.

I've always been against teams having a black jersey that don't have black in there team colors...for the most part it just seems dumb

I'd like the throwback idea of these jersey's

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg282/Nighthawk0581/images.jpg

chgorman
01-26-2008, 10:50 AM
This is what I'm talkin' 'bout!

http://shop.nhl.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2146136&cp=1220218&parentPage=family&clickid=body_bestsell_img

Possible my fave jersey of all time. IMO, this is what the 3rds should look like.

Ultimate_Nux_Fan
01-26-2008, 05:52 PM
Hey, I've got a question for the Wings fans here. Who does it look like will be the starter post All Star break until the playoffs? I'm hearing mixed things like one hand Hasek will be getting the majority of the starts now to prepare for the playoffs and on the other hand some people are mentioning that because of Osgood's contract extention, he'll get most of the starts. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

WinnipegWingnut
01-26-2008, 05:59 PM
Hey, I've got a question for the Wings fans here. Who does it look like will be the starter post All Star break until the playoffs? I'm hearing mixed things like one hand Hasek will be getting the majority of the starts now to prepare for the playoffs and on the other hand some people are mentioning that because of Osgood's contract extention, he'll get most of the starts. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

from what I've heard, it will be a rotation until game 60 or so in the season, then they will go with just Dom. He will be the #1 going forward.

Ultimate_Nux_Fan
01-26-2008, 06:02 PM
Thanks a lot Winnipeg!

Hockeyis#1
01-26-2008, 08:30 PM

Honestly, I hope we keep the rotation going. Both goalies are playing great and should one catch fire and the other cool off we could ride the hot goalie.

It worked for the Wild a few years back, and it's got us the best record so far, I don't see any reason to fix what's not broken.

Hockeyis#1
02-06-2008, 01:27 AM
Wow did we play like total shit in the 2nd period VS the Wild....the wings got lucky to win that game

chgorman
02-06-2008, 10:21 AM
Wow did we play like total shit in the 2nd period VS the Wild....the wings got lucky to win that game

No doubt. That tying goal Cleary scored was shit. Not sure if Backstrom didn't see it or what, but that was a horrible angle and it slipped through. Too bad for him, cause he was having an amazing game before that.

How about Zetts' pass to Lebda on the game winner in overtime? Beautiful.

Spartan
02-07-2008, 10:40 AM
Great Holmstrom article, that is all.
http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/news/story.html?id=19ce968e-1192-4cc1-98c2-6a0522612357&k=30006

WinnipegWingnut
02-07-2008, 10:49 AM
Great Holmstrom article, that is all.
http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/news/story.html?id=19ce968e-1192-4cc1-98c2-6a0522612357&k=30006

Ahhh another prime example of excellant scouting!

chgorman
02-07-2008, 11:58 AM
Gotta love Holmer!! (unless you're the opposing goalie)

Great article! Thx for posting Spartan! :beer:

beanz
02-07-2008, 12:05 PM
yea, def a good read! There is truly nobody else like him right now in the NHL.

Hockeyis#1
02-07-2008, 10:20 PM
God WTF happened in the 3rd VS LA? I watched the first two periods and we got some garbage/lucky goals there's was along those lines...I go check my e-mail and such during the intermission and come back to catch the last bit of the game and it's fucking 5-3?!?!:eek:

wtf happened?

Hobbes
02-07-2008, 11:13 PM
You guys ran into the best team in the league, that's what happened. :cool:

thelaughingtree
02-08-2008, 12:08 AM
:lol::lol::lol::blah:

Hockeyis#1
02-08-2008, 01:35 AM

It's rather hard to run into....yourself:lol:

WinnipegWingnut
02-08-2008, 08:59 AM
Did anyone catch the game??? Did we just quit playing defence? Lidstrom a -3??? that's not right!

I know every team can beat every team on any given day, but how did the Wings blow a 3-0 lead? And give up so many goals in such a short time frame?

chgor... did you see the game? I know you said you got CI. I got stuck with the Habs - Leafs game and I believe sportsnet had the Calgary - Chicago game.

chgorman
02-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Did anyone catch the game??? Did we just quit playing defence? Lidstrom a -3??? that's not right!

I know every team can beat every team on any given day, but how did the Wings blow a 3-0 lead? And give up so many goals in such a short time frame?

chgor... did you see the game? I know you said you got CI. I got stuck with the Habs - Leafs game and I believe sportsnet had the Calgary - Chicago game.

Naw, thank god :lol::lol:. I woulda been cursing at the tv so loud the neighbours would probably have called the cops, lol.

I did just get CI for the rest of the season, however I was at a buddy's place for most of the evening last night, and he doesn't have CI. We watched snippets of the Leafs game between games of NHL '07 and puffing J's, but that's about it. Kinda glad I didn't get to see the game, sounds like they got outplayed in all facets, which is worrisome, as Minny outplayed them almost the entire game on Tues and deserved to win, and the Wings just got lucky at the end tying it up on a shitty goal to force overtime and then winnin it in OT. Not sure what the deal is with the lack of cohesiveness and this letdown they're on, but hopefully it doesn't last too long... I want 63 wins!! (or more :lol:)

tinkeysersoze
02-08-2008, 01:07 PM
I was wondering what you guys would have to talk about in this thread. Must be nice to only have the occasional loss to bitch about :) What is gonna stop the Wings this year, that's my question. Have they even had a remote slump at all?

WinnipegWingnut
02-08-2008, 01:13 PM
I was wondering what you guys would have to talk about in this thread. Must be nice to only have the occasional loss to bitch about :) What is gonna stop the Wings this year, that's my question. Have they even had a remote slump at all?

If we lose to you guys tonight that'll be 2 in a row... hahaha.

I think we lost two in a row earlier this year to Chi and one other team.

two24four
02-08-2008, 01:40 PM

-3 last night, and yet he's still a +43 this season, that's just crazy.

WinnipegWingnut
02-08-2008, 01:53 PM
-3 last night, and yet he's still a +43 this season, that's just crazy.

I know a small blip on the overall, but still a rarity to see him -3.

chgorman
02-08-2008, 01:56 PM
If we lose to you guys tonight that'll be 2 in a row... hahaha.

I think we lost two in a row earlier this year to Chi and one other team.

Tomorrow at 3:00pm EST, actually.

Yeah, they can't seem to beat CHI. For some reason, Khabi owns the Wings this year.

WinnipegWingnut
02-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Tomorrow at 3:00pm EST, actually.

Yeah, they can't seem to beat CHI. For some reason, Khabi owns the Wings this year.

Yep.. again you are right chgor, for some reason thought they played tonight, could be due to the fact my Leaf buddy just e-mailed me to make a bet, and mentioned the game was tonight.

No I'll have to correct him and look smart for once :p

chgorman
02-08-2008, 02:01 PM
Yep.. again you are right chgor, for some reason thought they played tonight, could be due to the fact my Leaf buddy just e-mailed me to make a bet, and mentioned the game was tonight.

No I'll have to correct him and look smart for once :p

Sorry, not trying to get on your case, just don't want anybody freaking out when they can't find the Wings/Leafs game on t.v. tonight ;)

beanz
02-08-2008, 03:04 PM
that game was crap, they stopped playing in front of Ozzie, as well as him lettin in some crap goals i.e. the backhander right over his glove. Oh NO!! the Wings lost, i'm gonna go cry!!

but yea, they'll pick it up again, especially with a (hopefully) kick ass matchup vs TO tomorrow. lookin forward to that game.

Hockeyis#1
02-08-2008, 08:56 PM
We lose to a team like Ottawa, or San Jose or Dallas. Yeah ok their a good team..

LA after a 3-1 lead? :wtf:

beanz
02-09-2008, 11:08 AM
We lose to a team like Ottawa, or San Jose or Dallas. Yeah ok their a good team..

LA after a 3-1 lead? :wtf:

Teams like Ottawa and SJ lose to the lower tier teams as well, every "top" team has a minor road bump, and you could tell that LA was clearly move motivated/energetic then the wings, especially after scoring the tying goal. The wings will get back on track, if you can call losing one game (so far) being "off track." Great game in line today, gonna grab me a sixer and just enjoy the show!!

nyihater4life
02-10-2008, 05:54 PM
and the streets of Detroit start to riot.

I seriously cant believe they disallowed that goal but thats good for my fantasy week since the guy has Lidstrom, Dats and Zetter and got 3 PPP in the first goal.

chicagohockey
02-10-2008, 05:56 PM
I think the officials blew it twice at the end of the game. That wasn't tripping on Beacamin, that was diving on Zetterberg he barely touched him. Same thing for interference, Holmstrom barely touched Giguere.

Hockeyis#1
02-10-2008, 06:02 PM
Wow, what HORRIBLE officiating throughout that game, and not just against the Red Wings, although that disallowed goal was BY FAR the worst call I've seen all year.

two24four
02-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Yeah that call on the no goal was BAD, I'm no Red Wings fan, but wow, Homer's feet where outside, and Giggy ran into him, not the other way around.

looch17
02-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Wings/ fans got robbed today. That goal should have counted.

tets
02-10-2008, 07:40 PM
That was ridiculous.....the officiating was terrible for this game. We got ripped!! I understand Homer has a bad reputation and a refs job is difficult(since I was one before) but COME ONNNNN, you have to clearly SEE a penalty to call one. I dont mind a call if it is granted or maybe even borderline, but that was just plain awful!!!! Those refs should be brought out to the back forty and shot!!

beanz
02-10-2008, 10:53 PM
that was beyond crap.....oh well, on to the next game

WinnipegWingnut
02-11-2008, 09:47 AM
I see everyone has vented and has the same stance I do on that dis-allowed goal. Crap absolute crap.

On a side note, kudos to Downey for fighting Parros and winning the fight IMO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UR0I8FqNEA

two24four
02-11-2008, 12:41 PM
Dont look now, but that's 3 L's in a row for DET, they will be lucky to make the playoffs now :lol::D;)

WinnipegWingnut
02-11-2008, 12:52 PM
Dont look now, but that's 3 L's in a row for DET, they will be lucky to make the playoffs now :lol::D;)

Yeah what the hell is happening these days? We're in a 3 game losing streak and Toronto is on a 3 game winning streak??? :wtf:

Hockeyis#1
02-11-2008, 11:44 PM
We should have lost the Minnesota game, so that's 4 in a row in my mind

How can you disallow a goal for goaltender interference, then not call a penalty for it?

WinnipegWingnut
02-12-2008, 10:04 AM

How can you disallow a goal for goaltender interference, then not call a penalty for it?

It was BS for sure... but oh well, can't do anything now.

So does anyone think we'll see Howard get a start? or will he just ride the pine in case he's needed?

chgorman
02-12-2008, 11:14 AM
Yeah what the hell is happening these days? We're in a 3 game losing streak and Toronto is on a 3 game winning streak??? :wtf:

Hell is DAMN cold right now. Hope Satan's got his skates on!

chgorman
02-12-2008, 11:21 AM

I don't think it was technically called goalie interference. I think the ref called it 'incidental contact' or something, which apparently isn't a penalty. I hear what you're saying htough, makes no sense to me either.

It was BS for sure... but oh well, can't do anything now.

So does anyone think we'll see Howard get a start? or will he just ride the pine in case he's needed?

I don't see him starting. Oz is healthy, and took over full time last time Dom was on the shelf, so I don't see that changing. IT's not like Oz has been overworked, or is old and fragile and needs every other game off like dom does. I could *maybe* see Jimmy getting a start if they play a crappy team in the 2nd half of a B2B, but otherwise, I'm guessing he'll be a spectator.

beanz
02-12-2008, 01:41 PM
i think it would be good to get him a start here and there. not much else to say, pretty uninformative post :lol:

Hockeyis#1
02-12-2008, 02:14 PM
IT's not like Oz has been overworked, or is old and fragile and needs every other game off like dom does.

Is that a fact that Dom needs every other game off or your speculation?

We need to beat Nashville tonight and look good doing it, I'll admit I haven't watched ANY of Nashville this season so far so I don't know what to expect

chgorman
02-12-2008, 03:07 PM
Is that a fact that Dom needs every other game off or your speculation?

We need to beat Nashville tonight and look good doing it, I'll admit I haven't watched ANY of Nashville this season so far so I don't know what to expect

Sorry, bad wording, shoulda said 'It's not like Oz has been overworked, or is old and fragile and is given every other game off like dom is, to keep him fresh for the playoffs.'

I guess what I meant is that a) he (Oz) hasn't been overworked so far, as he's been splitting games with Dom, and b) he's not 43 (or whatever Dom is) and hasn't had the recurring, serious groin issues Dom has had, which is what lead to the Wings rotating them every game, to keep Dom fresh and healthy for the playoffs. We all know Dom is going to be the guy when the playoffs roll around (assuming he's healthy), so it's not like they'd be burning Oz out right before the playoffs start if he gets a couple starts in a row.

Regardless, Dom is only DTD, it's not like he's on IR and is going to miss a bunch of games. Not saying DTD can't easily turn into WTW, but right now, from the sounds of it, Dom will only miss a couple games, and as much as I'd like to see Howard in a couple (especially now that I got CI), I just don't think it will happen. If Oz was really struggling, had horrible numbers and couldn't win a game, I could see Howard getting a start, but with the way Ozzie is playing, there's really no reason to start Howard. To be honest, I'm kinda surprised they didn't call somebody else up instead in order to let Howard continue to start all the games in GR, like they did with Joey McDonald last year.

WinnipegWingnut
02-12-2008, 03:39 PM
With the crazy lead we have, I don't see why Babcock couldn't give Howard a start or two.

chgorman
02-12-2008, 03:45 PM
With the crazy lead we have, I don't see why Babcock couldn't give Howard a start or two.

I guess what I'm saying is that there may only be one or two starts to be 'given' to begin with... from TSN.ca IceChips section:

General manager Ken Holland said Monday that Domink hasek's hip injury is not significant. They hope he can be ready in a couple of days - Detroit Free Press

So that being said, if he only misses one or two games, I doubt Howard gets a start,e specially considering the current losing streak, despite the lead in the standings. Extended losing streaks are never good, regardless of how far ahead they are. If Dom misses more than two games, and there's a B2B situation during that time, then Howard should get a start. If not, I'm guessing Oz will get the starts.

Let me take a look at the sked....

edit: yeah, they don't play B2B until Sun/Mon (DAL/COL) so if Dom is still out, I could see Howard getting a start in one of those two games. Otherwise, I'm guesing it's all Osgood until Dom gets back.

I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing - I'd love to see Jimmy get a start - just being realistic.

WinnipegWingnut
02-12-2008, 03:47 PM
I guess what I'm saying is that there may only be one or two starts to be 'given' to begin with... from TSN.ca IceChips section:

General manager Ken Holland said Monday that Domink hasek's hip injury is not significant. They hope he can be ready in a couple of days - Detroit Free Press

So that being said, if he only misses one or two games, I doubt Howard gets a start,e specially considering the current losing streak. If Dom misses more than two games, and there's a B2B situation during that time, then Howard should get a start. If not, I'm guessing Oz will get the starts.

Let me take a look at the sked....

Yeah I get that Dom wont be out long, all I'm saying is give Howard a start, lets see how he does vs NHL calibre shooters. If he does bad, then Holland knows he might have to go out and find another young goalie.

chgorman
02-12-2008, 03:53 PM
Yeah I get that Dom wont be out long, all I'm saying is give Howard a start, lets see how he does vs NHL calibre shooters. If he does bad, then Holland knows he might have to go out and find another young goalie.

Fair enough, I'd love to see it too, just don't count on it.

WinnipegWingnut
02-12-2008, 05:07 PM
Fair enough, I'd love to see it too, just don't count on it.

I know... a guy can hope right? Just like I'm going to win the Super 7 Friday! :D

chgorman
02-12-2008, 08:28 PM
Well, that didn't take long :lol::lol:

NSH up 3-0 8 mins into the first -- Jimmy H now in. You got your wish 'Peg!

WTF is going on with the Wings these days? The D looks lost lately!

two24four
02-12-2008, 08:30 PM
Could this be 4 L's in a row coming up?? uh ohhhhh ;):D

mrtybrodur30
02-12-2008, 09:30 PM
Could this be 4 L's in a row coming up?? uh ohhhhh ;):Dseriously i mean wtf guys whats happening with this team? on one hand i love it :evilgrin: on the other i have hasek and osgood, hasek hasnt been bad but is out right now and osgood has had terrible starts lately.

Dubz
02-12-2008, 10:35 PM
for lack of a better term

The wheels are coming off

Last time I watched the wings was their last squeaky win....they played amazing man on man hockey. That was a few games ago obviously....whats wrong wingnuts?

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-12-2008, 11:40 PM
I just stopped by to say - WHAT THE FUCK ?

From a Sharks fan perspective I am loving this, but I am sooo sick of the Wings goalies FUCKING my goaltending stats in fantasy! 20.42GAA and a 25%?!?! The return of Wasgood? And to think, I COULDA played Mason instead! there goes my goaltending stats this week, again. :mad:

mrtybrodur30
02-12-2008, 11:49 PM
I just stopped by to say - WHAT THE FUCK ?

From a Sharks fan perspective I am loving this, but I am sooo sick of the Wings goalies FUCKING my goaltending stats in fantasy! 20.42GAA and a 25%?!?! The return of Wasgood? And to think, I COULDA played Mason instead! there goes my goaltending stats this week, again. :mad:lol basically the same post i made a bit earlier

Jake
02-12-2008, 11:52 PM
Bong- you should LOVE Osgood for the assist he gave the Sharks in the 94 playoffs...I still havent fully forgiven him

Dubz
02-13-2008, 12:21 AM
Bong- you should LOVE Osgood for the assist he gave the Sharks in the 94 playoffs...I still havent fully forgiven him

:yes:

Unforgettable

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-13-2008, 12:43 AM

:lol:

WinnipegWingnut
02-13-2008, 09:49 AM
Wow... I dunno what is wrong with us... on a side note though Howard stepped up and made 18 saves. If there is one bright point of the game that was it. :$

eykwingnut
02-13-2008, 09:57 AM
ive always thought osgood and hasek both sucked. i just hate hasek more cause so many ppl think hes still amazing. i cant wait till jimmy takes over OR we trade for a new goalie.

beanz
02-13-2008, 10:07 AM
uh oh! 4 straight losses now!! :scared::eek::cry:

utmost sarcasm right now.... what, the best team cant have a little mini slump?:D we're losing on purpose so we can see what might need to be evaluated and fixed b4 trade deadline and playoffs! no worries here! You had to imagine teams would figure out the Wings eventually, now its time for them to change their game up a bit and remember how to play defense. OH, and for the damn second PP unit to start scoring. Freakin Filppula and Hudler havent done shit in a loooong time.

beanz
02-13-2008, 10:09 AM
oh, and JH looked real solid last night (from what i remember, i was tanked). He def should be our future goalie, but knowing the wings and the fans, they'll demand some high end veteran that is past his prime.

chgorman
02-13-2008, 04:18 PM
I'm not worried... yet. More frustrated than anything - they haven't won a game (aside from the MIN game, which they shoulda lost) since I got CI! I got it so I could watch them to continue to destroy the rest of the league, and they're not doing it! :lol::lol:

Truthfully, they played pretty well against ANA on Sunday, got robbed by the BS incidental contact call, so that's a good sign, and didn't play all that bad vs. TOR on Sat, just got shut down by Tosk, but man, between the MIN and LA games last week, and the first period last night, it's a little disconcerting, almost like they're letting their lead over the rest of the league go to their head and have decided that they don't need to play a full 60 mins to win, which is obviously not the case.

Of note: Kopecky has looked good the last couple games in limited time. Nothing too flashy, but he's out there banging bodies and wreaking havoc. Looked especially good on Sun vs. ANA IMO.

WinnipegWingnut
02-14-2008, 10:20 AM
AHA!!! We've found the problem!!

Get rid of your CI chgor... you jinxed the team!!! :lol:

Hockeyis#1
02-14-2008, 03:31 PM
Maybe get Zetts to center the 2nd PP to get it going?

nyihater4life
02-15-2008, 05:28 AM
According to ESPN, the Wings will be lowering ticket prices in the playoffs.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-15-2008, 05:57 AM

so jealous...

Spartan
02-15-2008, 08:22 AM

17-43% cut depending on seat. Guarantee not to raise tickets next year. Also pay as they play for the remainder of the season for season ticket holders. They pretty much had to do this, watch the games there are tons of empty seats. On the radio this morning they were talking about how bad of a deal the wings are compared to every other pro team in Detroit. They were also laughing about how bad the music is there, like Jock Jams from 1996.:lol:

mrtybrodur30
02-15-2008, 10:22 AM
17-43% cut depending on seat. Guarantee not to raise tickets next year. Also pay as they play for the remainder of the season for season ticket holders. They pretty much had to do this, watch the games there are tons of empty seats. On the radio this morning they were talking about how bad of a deal the wings are compared to every other pro team in Detroit. They were also laughing about how bad the music is there, like Jock Jams from 1996.:lol:lmao thats pretty funny. yeah i have noticed the stadium looks almost atlanta like during the playoffs not to mention in the regular season! but iam begging osgood and the wings to win tonight,....begging!! lol this wont happen often but i need a good start tonight!!

beanz
02-15-2008, 04:35 PM
yeah, i heard the same radio show Spartan. they made a GREAT point in the fact that for those prices, people should be getting high end entertainment and atmosphere, not old school music that has been recycled for 15 years lol. Take a page out of the Pistons and Tigers books and realize how they are drawing crowds. The city loves the wings, they just are tired of the same, unaltered, high priced stadium they are subjected to watch them in. The Joe is historic, but it is waaaay out dated now.

nyihater4life
02-15-2008, 08:10 PM
Wow, what is going on in Detroit? 3-0 CLS so far

Ultimate_Nux_Fan
02-15-2008, 08:12 PM
Yeah, what's going on? The Wings aren't only losing these days but it seems like they're getting pulverised! Any Wings fans here that can tell us what's happening here??

chicagohockey
02-15-2008, 08:16 PM
I can tell you what is happening Chris Osgood has remembered he's Chris Osgood.

nyihater4life
02-15-2008, 08:18 PM
It seems like the Wings are always forced to come back from 3-0 leads

thelaughingtree
02-15-2008, 08:31 PM
17-43% cut depending on seat. Guarantee not to raise tickets next year. Also pay as they play for the remainder of the season for season ticket holders. They pretty much had to do this, watch the games there are tons of empty seats. On the radio this morning they were talking about how bad of a deal the wings are compared to every other pro team in Detroit. They were also laughing about how bad the music is there, like Jock Jams from 1996.:lol:

Hey I like the music they play during the game... It's one of the more creative in the league IMHO

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-15-2008, 08:34 PM
Wasgood - why didn't I trade you away when I could have :(

fuji9991
02-15-2008, 09:26 PM
Ozzzzzzzzzzzzgoal, Ozzzzzzzzzzzzzgoal....

Howard is getting some experience for next year :)

mrtybrodur30
02-15-2008, 10:21 PM
osgood has been my only 2 starts for this week so far, my goalie stats are laughable!!

two24four
02-15-2008, 10:31 PM
Sounds bad, but maybe they should look into getting another goalie, just in case, you know never know.

Jake
02-15-2008, 11:44 PM
yeah, i heard the same radio show Spartan. they made a GREAT point in the fact that for those prices, people should be getting high end entertainment and atmosphere, not old school music that has been recycled for 15 years lol. Take a page out of the Pistons and Tigers books and realize how they are drawing crowds. The city loves the wings, they just are tired of the same, unaltered, high priced stadium they are subjected to watch them in. The Joe is historic, but it is waaaay out dated now.
The Joe has to go. Illitch wants to build a statium around Comerical Park, but he keeps getting stopped because he has to tear down a "historical building"....that has no pluming, electric, is vacant and actually a hazard. the Joe...There is nothing like having a few beers then having to miss half of a period becuase you have to take a leak and wait in line. I hate the fact that it is only one level.

studleydudley2004
02-16-2008, 02:39 AM
you guys knockin on osgood...most the goals, if not all of them last 2 games he's played have been complete defensive meltdowns...they look horrible right now. osgood has been a little weak lately, but he honestly hasn't been as bad as what the stats show. the wings look flat and uninspired...hell, modin walked right by 2 of our dmen out there tonight and scored, and against nashville, there were two unmarked preds just comin down at the net, no one even paying attention to them, and scored... not usual wings hockey. i haven't seen that shit in a while, call me spoiled haha

beanz
02-16-2008, 03:20 AM
yea, no shit people, how many here just used the box score or actually watched the game? quit raggin osgood, you all know you would kill to have what he's done for the Wings this year on their team. As Studz said, the D has been CRAP CRAP CRAP. Ozzy had mostly no chance on many of these goals.

Jake...gotta love the urinals!! :lol::lol: splashy goodness all over the genitals!! sometimes i think an unflushed toilet from a 300 lb man would feel more welcoming than those things you gotta use at The Joe.

Hockeyis#1
02-16-2008, 04:10 AM
Our PK looks terrible too....we really could use a big defensemen to muscle some of these guys in front....

and Osgood hasn't been bad per say, he hasn't been good either but all around we've just played horrible in every aspect. Our breakouts have been sloppy, our offensive zone cycling hasn't been as crisp, we can't bang in the chances we ARE getting....and our backchecking/forchecking has been lackluster to say the least.

not to mention our second PP unit has been garbage in terms of a production, I can't say for sure...but I do believe their an ofor during the past few games here....that's bad...

chicagohockey
02-16-2008, 08:58 AM
This is probably jsut the sneak previews for the yearly red wing playoff meltdown.

Here's a reminder of last years meltdown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipqQhTG7YdY

beanz
02-16-2008, 10:11 AM
Our PK looks terrible too....we really could use a big defensemen to muscle some of these guys in front....

and Osgood hasn't been bad per say, he hasn't been good either but all around we've just played horrible in every aspect. Our breakouts have been sloppy, our offensive zone cycling hasn't been as crisp, we can't bang in the chances we ARE getting....and our backchecking/forchecking has been lackluster to say the least.

not to mention our second PP unit has been garbage in terms of a production, I can't say for sure...but I do believe their an ofor during the past few games here....that's bad...

that second PP unit is DEF missing Kronwall right now. He hasnt been spectacular, but you can really see that missing presence on the point for that second unit. they need another scorer badly, and that was my worries all year. Kinda feel like the Senators right now, besides the top line, nobody else can score.

beanz
02-16-2008, 10:12 AM
This is probably jsut the sneak previews for the yearly red wing playoff meltdown.

Here's a reminder of last years meltdown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipqQhTG7YdY

i'm SO F*CKIN glad i was out of the country when that happened so i couldnt watch it live. if i had been home i would have needed a new t.v. and living room. hell, probably new roommates cuz mine woulda been out the top window.

thelaughingtree
02-16-2008, 07:10 PM
Jake...gotta love the urinals!! :lol::lol: splashy goodness all over the genitals!! sometimes i think an unflushed toilet from a 300 lb man would feel more welcoming than those things you gotta use at The Joe.

You took the words right out of my mouth. The bathroom conditions there are pathetic.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-16-2008, 08:03 PM
You took the words right out of my mouth. The bathroom conditions there are pathetic.

hey at least you guys can piss while standing up!! :eek:

Hockeyis#1
02-17-2008, 02:17 AM
that second PP unit is DEF missing Kronwall right now. He hasnt been spectacular, but you can really see that missing presence on the point for that second unit. they need another scorer badly, and that was my worries all year. Kinda feel like the Senators right now, besides the top line, nobody else can score.

I haven't liked our depth all year, but untill now it's been working.

WinnipegWingnut
02-17-2008, 06:35 PM
Anyone watch the Wings game today? Howard had some stellar numbers, but how did he look? I'm thinking it might be time to give this kid a few more starts with Ozzy struggling.

thelaughingtree
02-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Anyone watch the Wings game today? Howard had some stellar numbers, but how did he look? I'm thinking it might be time to give this kid a few more starts with Ozzy struggling.

Howard played very well today. Quite a few key saves & he kept his focus all the way through. It's too bad the rest of the team couldn't crack through Turco.

If I was Babcok, I have to go with Ozzy next to see if he can get a win. If he lets in any soft goals, then Howard will need to start the following game. Howard played that good enough to get another start here soon.

Kyle
02-18-2008, 12:17 AM
6 straight, its getting pitiful lol

mrtybrodur30
02-18-2008, 01:14 AM
It sure is as our my goaltending stats recently, a win against Dallas would have been nice for me as well. I think this makes Detroit want to go out and get a player before the deadline even more. In terms of playoffs this probably is good for the wings to workout whatever problems they are having. Better have this slip up now when they have a huge lead rather than going home come playoff time.

studleydudley2004
02-18-2008, 09:06 AM
yeah, but this is killin us Wings fans....6 straight? when was the last time we saw that? and howard did look good yesterday, definitely earned the right to start another game real soon. and who are we gonna go out and get? holland isn't gonna go break the bank just to bring in a rental hossa or sundin. get McCarty back up from the minors, heard he scored a hatrick the other day haha

Hockeyis#1
02-18-2008, 07:30 PM
Holland's got a decision to make then. Rental Hossa/Sundin or biting the bullet and being up for A LOT of criticism when he doesn't and the Wings tank in the 1st/2nd round.

McCarty isn't going to be the offensive prowless or the defensive awareness were lacking in the past 7 games.

Hockeyis#1
02-18-2008, 10:21 PM
Wow did we look great against the AVS.....Holmstrom/Meech showed why their 'crash the net' style works so well. We don't score those first 2 goals without them.

Any news on Lids, the knee injury serious? God I hope not.

studleydudley2004
02-18-2008, 10:53 PM
stated in the fantasy forum, but put it here also...i'll listen to the radio stations tomorrow (as i always do, cause the music doesn't hold a candle to 1270 and 1130 am out here lol) and give an update. didn't sound terribly serious, if anything, a couple games. fantasy side apart, if he ends up missing more games, i don't care, as long as he is healthy for the playoffs. but again, will post tomorrow.

beanz
02-19-2008, 12:44 AM
hope Lids is ok, glad they kicked the crap outta Laperriere (sp?). good win for sure. nothin like an old rivalry to get things kick started again. GO WINGS!!

Kyle
02-19-2008, 08:49 AM
Man a first round against the Aves would be amazing. Easy 4 wins for us, and it would fire up a lot of the guys (Young and old alike) and give the team some fire going into the later rounds (espicially if we get a few good fights and memorable scenes).

WinnipegWingnut
02-19-2008, 08:51 AM
Finally!!! And Ozzy got the SO!!! Hopefully this gets his confidence back. Anyone hear how long Lidstrom is out for??? That isn't good...

chgorman
02-19-2008, 11:50 AM
Man a first round against the Aves would be amazing. Easy 4 wins for us, and it would fire up a lot of the guys (Young and old alike) and give the team some fire going into the later rounds (espicially if we get a few good fights and memorable scenes).

Keep in mind, Sakic and Statsny weren't playing last night for the Avs. those are two pretty good players who might make the difference. Not saying we wouldn't sweep, as COL looked horrible last night, and their goaltending and defence is atrocious, but I think getting their HOF #1 C back as well as one of the top youngsters in the game will help even the odds a bit.

Finally!!! And Ozzy got the SO!!! Hopefully this gets his confidence back. Anyone hear how long Lidstrom is out for??? That isn't good...

From what Babs has said, week to 10 days I believe. I'll see if I can find the source.

I honestly think the Lids injury really served as a wake up call to the team last night. Watched almost the entire game (missed the first few mins), and it was starting to look like it was going to be another long night like the last 6 (7 if you count the Minny game they shoulda lost), the entire team looked slow, a little lost for the first while, but thankfully COL couldn't muster any negligible offence. Once Lids went down, it was like an entirely new team than the team that went 0-6. Little to no defensive breakdowns, which was definitely the biggest problem the past 6 (NOT Ozzie, contrary to popular belief), a lot of opportunities created by the top 2 lines, Meech stepped up big time, Downey playing feisty and getting on Laperierre, etc, really seemed like the team woke up from it's 7 gm slumber of late when they realized that Lids was gonna be out, they're missing Rafalski, and Kron is still a few days away. Very enjoyable game to watch, loved the feistiness that has been missing since this rivalry has died down recently, nice to be able to get back to good ol' Wings/Avs animosity, IN COL no less. Def looking forward to the next COL/DET game at the Joe.

And for the record, I guess Babs and the rest of team saw something I didn't, but I really didn't think the hit on Lids was that bad. The guy's arms were a little high, but I wouldn't call it elbowing, as he seemed to lead with the shoulder, and was more of an awkward fall by Lids, as well as banging his head on the glass, which was why he looked so woozy when he got up and the ref had to prop him up to get him to the bench, as opposed to a viscious elbow or a hit from behind. Couldn't believe Lids didn't have a concussion after the way he was stumbling around and looking lost, but the announcers said they did all the concussion tests in the dressing room that they had availble to them, and he passed with flying colours, so that's good news.

edit: most recent Lids update from rotoworld that I spoke of earlier:

http://www.rotoworld.com/images/teamlogos/NHL_sm/DET.gif Nicklas Lidstrom (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NHL&line=63443&id=62)-D- Red Wings (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_news.aspx?sport=NHL&line=63443&majteam=DET)Feb. 19 - 8:00 am ethttp://www.rotoworld.com/images/right_corner_player_news.gifhttp://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gifhttp://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gifhttp://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gifhttp://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif
Nicklas Lidstrom will be evaluated shortly to determine the extent of his injured knee.
Lidstrom was hit hard by Colorado forward Ian Laperriere early in the first period and ended up falling awkwardly on his knee. "I don't know if he's out a week or 10 days, but he's got something mild on the inside of his knee," said coach Mike Babcock. "It didn't sound like anything major, and we needed to freshen him up anyway."
Source: Detroit News (http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080219/SPORTS0103/802190333/1128)

studleydudley2004
02-19-2008, 02:47 PM
u got it right chgorman, all radio stations were sayin the same. 7-10 days. and no, wasn't dirty hit, but his elbows were a little high, and you just don't run Lidstrom like that without expecting reprecutions. he's the captain and arguably one of the best if not best d-man of our generation.

WinnipegWingnut
02-19-2008, 03:19 PM
I agree, I didn't think it was dirty. I think Babs and most people were mad because someone actually hit Lidstrom pretty hard. If this was the 80's or early 90's the guy that hit him would have been pounded... but of course we would need a tough guy for that... haha

chgorman
02-19-2008, 03:34 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong guys, I agree, repercussions are necessary, and I like how Downey dealt with it, first with the fight and then knocking Lap FLAT on his ass right in front of the Wings bench later on, which led to Babs and Quennville jawing at each other and McLoed's (SP?) 28 mins or whatever it was, but I jus tthink a bigger deal was made out of it than it really deserved.

chgorman
02-19-2008, 03:36 PM
Wow did we look great against the AVS.....Holmstrom/Meech showed why their 'crash the net' style works so well. We don't score those first 2 goals without them.

Any news on Lids, the knee injury serious? God I hope not.

You mean Holmstrom/Franzen? Franzenstein was in front on the Cheli goal.

Hockeyis#1
02-20-2008, 07:02 AM
Could have SWORN they said meech....I was so in shock Chelios scored I must have misheard....

And seeing the Detroit HC and the Colorado HC yelling over the glass at each other brings back memories of some amazingly good hockey playoffs.

Ahh nostalgia! :lol:

Jake
02-20-2008, 11:08 AM
WHO WRITES THE RUMOR COLUMN FOR YAHOO????

Read about LiNdstrom's injury

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/rumors/post/Wings-hope-Lindstrom-s-knee-ligament-is-only-spr?urn=nhl%2C67655

or that we may get FedErov

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/rumors/post/Federov-wouldn-t-mind-trade-back-to-Detroit?urn=nhl%2C67093

How credible do you look when you can't even spell the players name?

studleydudley2004
02-20-2008, 02:43 PM
heard that he's expected to miss 3 weeks now...at least that's what station 1270 AM was sayin earlier today

beanz
02-20-2008, 04:31 PM
yea, it is at least 3 weeks now. i dont care, as long as he is healthy for the playoffs. we have the Prez trophy wrapped up, lose all you want, just get healthy now. Rafalski, Kron, Lids, Zetts and his back, and everyone else, just get on those ice packs harder than yer mommas and poppas makin ya. It might be a long couple weeks, but i'll take it. I hope Holland doesnt go overboard and do something drastic as trading players like Filpulla for some depth. Incoherent rant, babble, but I'm voting for the side of caution and not desperation by the Wings.

Hockeyis#1
02-21-2008, 11:34 AM
WHO WRITES THE RUMOR COLUMN FOR YAHOO????

Read about LiNdstrom's injury

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/rumors/post/Wings-hope-Lindstrom-s-knee-ligament-is-only-spr?urn=nhl%2C67655

or that we may get FedErov

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/rumors/post/Federov-wouldn-t-mind-trade-back-to-Detroit?urn=nhl%2C67093

How credible do you look when you can't even spell the players name?

Aparently nobody credible enough to add their name to the end....:lol:

We've always known idiots write these....

chgorman
02-21-2008, 11:36 AM
Could have SWORN they said meech....I was so in shock Chelios scored I must have misheard....

And seeing the Detroit HC and the Colorado HC yelling over the glass at each other brings back memories of some amazingly good hockey playoffs.

Ahh nostalgia! :lol:

:lol::lol: no doubt!! I thought I was in the twilight zone or something!

But yeah, it was definitely Franzenstein. I'm guessing if Mecch (being a D, and a stay-at-home at that, I believe) was caught in front of the net, Babs probably woulda been on his case pretty hard. Probably just an announcer mistake or something. Could Meech has possibly made the pas to Cheli to set up the goal? I can't really remember it too clearly...

chgorman
02-21-2008, 11:40 AM
yea, it is at least 3 weeks now. i dont care, as long as he is healthy for the playoffs. we have the Prez trophy wrapped up, lose all you want, just get healthy now. Rafalski, Kron, Lids, Zetts and his back, and everyone else, just get on those ice packs harder than yer mommas and poppas makin ya. It might be a long couple weeks, but i'll take it. I hope Holland doesnt go overboard and do something drastic as trading players like Filpulla for some depth. Incoherent rant, babble, but I'm voting for the side of caution and not desperation by the Wings.

Completely agree. Great post Beaner :beer:

Hockeyis#1
02-21-2008, 11:41 AM
:lol::lol: no doubt!! I thought I was in the twilight zone or something!

My living room literally looked like the scene from the Mighty Ducks 3 when Goldberg scores, where everyone celebrates then stops and is like.....Goldberg?????.....

chgorman
02-21-2008, 11:45 AM
My living room literally looked like the scene from the Mighty Ducks 3 when Goldberg scores, where everyone celebrates then stops and is like.....Goldberg?????.....

:lol::lol: Fo' sho'. I cheered pretty loud, louder than I usually do... the wife was like 'what's the big deal? The Wings score a ton more more exciting goals than that one!?!'... I was like 'Cheli doesn't!!! He doesn't score PERIOD anymore!'.

Good times. throughly enjoyed that game.

beanz
02-21-2008, 01:30 PM
Hasek and Rafalski on IR. Lids out 3 weeks at min. doesnt look good but i think they will be fine. Howard has played real solid in backup duties and Ozzy looked good again against the Avs. This is the wakeup the Wings needed to get out of that slump, to prove to themselves and the league they are not just a regular season team and out come first round of the playoffs. They do successful here without these guys, then they are DEF set for the playoffs. I look forward to the next few weeks games and the hopefully intense level of play these guys know they have to bring in order to win.

chgorman
02-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Hasek and Rafalski on IR. Lids out 3 weeks at min. doesnt look good but i think they will be fine. Howard has played real solid in backup duties and Ozzy looked good again against the Avs. This is the wakeup the Wings needed to get out of that slump, to prove to themselves and the league they are not just a regular season team and out come first round of the playoffs. They do successful here without these guys, then they are DEF set for the playoffs. I look forward to the next few weeks games and the hopefully intense level of play these guys know they have to bring in order to win.

Raffy should be back any day now, so it's not as bad as it seems.

studleydudley2004
02-21-2008, 04:06 PM

give holland more credit than that...he's not gonna do anything that dumb just because of injuries. i think he's one of the best gm's in sports, and he'll deal with it appropriatley...i mean hell, we got McCarty back, what more could you want hahaha

beanz
02-21-2008, 04:34 PM
give holland more credit than that...he's not gonna do anything that dumb just because of injuries. i think he's one of the best gm's in sports, and he'll deal with it appropriatley...i mean hell, we got McCarty back, what more could you want hahaha

no shit holland is one of the best gms in sports. where u gettin the thougt i think he isnt? all i'm saying is i HOPE they dont go down a certain route, and i know rumors are rumors and holland is above all the pressure of the Wings fans, but i was just sayin i hope they dont make any unneccesary moves. and go DMac. watch any of his highlights in the minors? funny as hell

Hockeyis#1
02-22-2008, 06:40 AM
Hasek and Rafalski on IR.

What took Hasek from DTD to IR?

chgorman
02-22-2008, 09:29 AM

I'm guessing his hip flexor issues are more serious than originally thought, so they put him on IR to get a little extra cap relief, since he's going ot be out longer than orginally expected.

beanz
02-22-2008, 09:30 AM

i'm not too sure. might be the same issues of groin/back crap and they just want to preserve him. howard isnt playing bad and ozzy has picked it up (1 game tho) so if they need him to just rest thats fine with me. it is dumb tho he's on IR again, but i guess its to be expected

studleydudley2004
02-22-2008, 12:37 PM
no shit holland is one of the best gms in sports. where u gettin the thougt i think he isnt? all i'm saying is i HOPE they dont go down a certain route, and i know rumors are rumors and holland is above all the pressure of the Wings fans, but i was just sayin i hope they dont make any unneccesary moves. and go DMac. watch any of his highlights in the minors? funny as hell

no shit queefer....i was bein sarcastic, thought bein my bro would make that obvious haha of course i know you know what i know about holland, ya homer

beanz
02-22-2008, 12:52 PM
no shit queefer....i was bein sarcastic, thought bein my bro would make that obvious haha of course i know you know what i know about holland, ya homer

no shit its a homer call. quit lickin the gong and get ready to watch the Flames get owned tonight.

here's another reason to be a Wings fan.

http://www.thedirty.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/l_d1082c6e013888b96a3817cec694bffa-copy.jpg

chicagohockey
02-22-2008, 11:32 PM
Kipper > red wings

studleydudley2004
02-22-2008, 11:44 PM
Kipper > red wings

that's why they beat him 3 times this season already....

Jake
02-22-2008, 11:58 PM
The trainers had a busy night tonight

beanz
02-23-2008, 02:20 AM
Kipper > red wings

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

that settle it for u?

get over ur boner.....

beanz
02-23-2008, 02:21 AM
i actually had a SHIT TON MORE laughing fuckers, but it wouldnt let me post more

so here they are

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

beanz
02-23-2008, 02:21 AM
And Some More.....

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

beanz
02-23-2008, 02:22 AM
god i love all u bastards out there. kipps gets his FIRST so of the season against the Wings so he OWNS them HAHAHAHA RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT... what about the restof those times??? douchelick....

pjm
02-23-2008, 04:00 AM
yikes, sore loser? ;)

I'm just kidding, it was a good game by DET and I thought your young D you guys had to call up played very well, especially when running 5 D without Chelios. Incredible to see a D with the last name similar to Eriksson (Ericsson) not completely fuck up a game.

Lucky goal by Tanguay to win it, and i really don't like it when those goals win games, but hey i'll take it.

studleydudley2004
02-23-2008, 01:25 PM
ehhh...i'm with beanz on this one about chicagohockey lol don't need him craping on the Wings thread about some b.s. game we lost when our d is in shambles and a crap goal wins it. kipp played good (so he's what now? 1-3 against wings this season?), but go post in ur Flames thread...oh wait, you don't have one. and maybe i'm spoiled watchin the likes of Lidstrom on the blueline, but damn, i couldn't stomach the way we were handling the puck back there.

chgorman
02-23-2008, 02:28 PM
The PP was atrocious last night without Lids, Raffy, Kron and Cheli back there (kinda scary when Cheli is your best PP option and he's misisng too). Embarassing.

A bunch of BS calls by the refs too. Kopecky BARELY grazes Phaneauf's helmet with his stick - high sticking. Drake gets two (fake) teeth knocked out from a high stick - no call. Holmer, again, barely touches the guy's helmet with his stick - high sticking - where's the consistency? May not have made a diff in the final outcome, just pisses me off seeing shit like that where borderline calls are made against one team but the brutally obvious calls aren't made against the other.

Regardless, good game by both teams, Kipper looked solid. Not an overly entertaining game to watch, but a solid fundamental game played by both sides.

One thing is for sure though, the Wings need Kron and/or Raffy back ASAP QB'ing the PP. Meech has been solid (despite a couple noticeable gaffes last night), but it's just not nearly the same.

Maybe it was just me, but I wasn't all that impressed with Ericsson. Maybe he was jsut nervous, being his first game and all, but he made couple questionable plays and didn't really stand out at all. Hopefully he improves as he plays more, as he's got the size and skill set to be a pretty solid replacement for Fischer.

chicagohockey
02-23-2008, 02:47 PM
ehhh...i'm with beanz on this one about chicagohockey lol don't need him craping on the Wings thread about some b.s. game we lost when our d is in shambles and a crap goal wins it. kipp played good (so he's what now? 1-3 against wings this season?), but go post in ur Flames thread...oh wait, you don't have one. and maybe i'm spoiled watchin the likes of Lidstrom on the blueline, but damn, i couldn't stomach the way we were handling the puck back there.

Never said I was a Flames fan. Just meerly pointing out Kipper had the Wings number yesterday. Close to 40 shots Kipper got them all. Blame injuries, blame the refs, blame whatever you want. The fact of the matter is yesterday Kipper > Red Wings. Not the Flames > Red Wings, just Kipper.

Kipper robbed Drapper.
Kipper robbed Franzen.
Kipper robbed Datsyuk.
Kipper robbed Lebda.
Kipper robbed the Red Wings.

beanz
02-23-2008, 04:59 PM
yikes, sore loser? ;)

I'm just kidding, it was a good game by DET and I thought your young D you guys had to call up played very well, especially when running 5 D without Chelios. Incredible to see a D with the last name similar to Eriksson (Ericsson) not completely fuck up a game.

Lucky goal by Tanguay to win it, and i really don't like it when those goals win games, but hey i'll take it.

:cool::cool:i'm just kiddin too! i know i sounded harsh in my comments but it was all in fun (although douchelick was a little overboard:lol::lol:)

Look forward to the Vancouver game tonight!

studleydudley2004
02-23-2008, 06:19 PM
i know...a little sensitive right now haha didnt' mean to go off. i understand what u meant, was just bein a dick cause i'm frustrated with the recent condition of the wings

chicagohockey
02-23-2008, 10:09 PM
i know...a little sensitive right now haha didnt' mean to go off. i understand what u meant, was just bein a dick cause i'm frustrated with the recent condition of the wings

Your preaching to the quiore I have to cheer for a Bill Wirtz team for 20 years.

Can't wait to see what the Wings do at the deadline.

Edit: Meech is limping around.

chgorman
02-26-2008, 01:28 PM
Any of you MI guys hear any rumblings outta the Joe yet? Not too worried just yet, I def don't want them to have to give up too many/any roster players or solid prospects, but with DAL getting Richards, SJ getting Campbell and possibly Jokinen, I'm thinking Kenny may be forced to make a splash, especially if Burkie orchestrates some ridiculous deal for ANA too.