PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Red Wings Thread - Enough of us here

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14

Hamsterkill
03-23-2010, 12:16 AM
You know... as much as the Pens have trouble with the Devils, I could actually see Buffalo matching up well against them. I don't think Buffalo could win a series against the Pens, though.

Kyle
03-23-2010, 12:17 AM
Miller could definitely beat Brodeur in a goaltending duel which NJ matches often turn into, that I would agree with. But as you said Buffalo would get totally outclassed in the first matchup against skaters as good as the Penguins (I don't literally mean their skating ability, I mean skaters as in non-goaltenders) or Caps.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-23-2010, 01:06 AM
Oh, and another thing, I think if nothing else, once people get off the most recent Crosby bashing fest, Sidney's little outburst at the end of the game tonight is another strong testament to what an absolutely great player Henrik Zetterberg is. He is not only skilled offensively but he is also soo good defensively that when he brings his A game he just frustrates the fuck out of superstars he is matched up against. Just like he did with Crosby here tonight. Just like he did in game 5 last year with Malkin.

Dubz
03-23-2010, 01:20 AM
After watching the vid I still feel the same....what a shocker.

Kyle
03-23-2010, 01:23 AM
Oh, and another thing, I think if nothing else, once people get off the most recent Crosby bashing fest, Sidney's little outburst at the end of the game tonight is another strong testament to what an absolutely great player Henrik Zetterberg is. He is not only skilled offensively but he is also soo good defensively that when he brings his A game he just frustrates the fuck out of superstars he is matched up against. Just like he did with Crosby here tonight. Just like he did in game 5 last year with Malkin.

Indeed, we sing Datsyuk's praise all day defensively but Zetterberg really is right on his level.

After watching the vid I still feel the same....

How on Earth could you call that acceptable? Its far from suspension worthy but its dirty and classless. Its not something I'll remember for weeks but it is what it is. Why call it anything but? You said it yourself, this isn't playoffs for the Pens, so what the fucks the point of that shit by Crosby? Maybe throw a legal check or start a fair fight if you're so frustrated? I really find it difficult to believe that anyone in his sane mind would call that acceptable. I don't expect non-Detroit fans to be outraged but come on, Call it what it is, it was a dirty punk tantrum by Crosby. Not a big deal but definitely not something that needs to be encouraged with words like acceptable and expected.

chgorman
03-23-2010, 06:44 AM
Its NOT playoff hockey.....at least not for the Pens. I think (didnt see) that a few of you guys may be over playing this shit...but even if you are not, its totally expected (and acceptable) to be a douche at the end of a game against a rival you may ultimately play for a cup against for the third straight year. Is it not?

I haven't read any of the posts past Dubz's original, so this might have been said already but this happens at the end of a lot of games. You guys are just complaining cause its Crosby. :rolleyes:

After watching the vid I still feel the same....what a shocker.

Wow, just... wow, normally I respect you guys and your opinions, but these are some of THE MOST COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS comments I've seen on this entire msg board, possibly ever. Are you two SERIOUS? Like actually serious, or are you just trying to get us riled up for no apparent reason? 'Cuz you're doing a pretty damn good job :rolleyes:

It is NEVER ever 'expected' or 'acceptable' to be a complete and utter massive douchebag like Crosby was last night. It's just not. It was COMPLETELY classless on Crosby's part (similar to the way your comments are classless by trying to justify what Crosby did), it was completely unnecessary and unprovoked. Nothing but 'The Kid' being his douchebag self. I had started to gain a modicum of respsct for Crosby over the past yr or so, as it seemed like he had grown up, matured a bit, and wasn't being the spoiled whiny bitch he was earlier in career, but all that is out the window now, similar to how I lost a lot of respect for both of you for trying to defend him and somehow justify his douchiness.

To basically hammer away at Zetts back (a guy who has had recurring chronic back problems for a while now) for 12 + seconds to end the game because he's frustrated at being completely shut down in a dominating loss is both unacceptable and unjustifyable, no matter you how you cut it.

I'd love to hear you two try to justify it though. I could use a good laugh. :rolleyes:

chgorman
03-23-2010, 06:55 AM
Ok guys even I think you're starting to sound a wee bit petty. Lets focus on recent shit like Crosby being a pussywhipped punk bitch who can't handle Zetterberg so he has to throw a hissyfit and go on a cheapshot spree with 3 seconds left. The poor scheduling last year and that (admittedly ridiculous) missed no goal sucks but I'm sure they missed a Detroit penalty or two through the series also. Its not worth stressing anymore.

The problem is it wasn't three seconds. There was 12+ seconds left on the clock, and Crosby started it a few seconds after the was puck dropped. There was 9+ seconds left when Crosby started his douchiness. Watch the NHL.com replay titled 'postgame scuffle' (the vid bolts posted doesn't show the entire sequence).

Kyle
03-23-2010, 01:11 PM
Also, Crosby did exactly what guys like Perry have done their whole career and I don't think theres many more players who garner the hate around here that Perry does. Just about this entire board agrees what Perry does is classless and dirty. Yet its OK now because its Crosby? So maybe the problem is you guys are acting different because its Crosby. All I know is I don't give a fuck who is crosschecking Zetterberg in the back 6 times to end a game, my comments will be exactly the same. You guys are the ones who seem to have adopted a unique point of view for Crosby's sake.

If there was any cause for the attack besides simply superior play, it'd be one thing. But you're just a dope if you think getting outplayed justified what Crosby did. Any of you guys would be on your team's thread saying the exact same shit if it happened to one of your players unprovoked. Get real.

"I don't think that's where he should be," Crosby said of Howard. "I don't know what he was doing over there."

You see, he even manages to cry about Howard for joining the scrum he started. Fucking bitch. You weren't doing anything you should've been doing in the last 10 seconds either nancy, get over it. Hope Howard's blocker tasted good.

Kyle
03-23-2010, 01:33 PM
But onto brighter and more relevant news: Wings are back, everyone run and hide:lol:

"Just a lot of feeling and a lot of emotion after a game, nothing more," Zetterberg said. "If it was reversed, I probably would have done the same thing."

How does Datsyuk win the Lady Byng over this class act? Come on Z, you've never done anything remotely similar to that in your entire career. But kudos for having much more class than Crosby whos only response was to cry more about Howard joining in.:lol:

Chilly_Willy
03-23-2010, 06:42 PM
I was just kidding dudes, just stirring the pot a bit, that was some B.S. Crosby pulled. He has quite the talent but at times little self control.

There are some things that bugged me about last seasons cup ceremony in the Joe but its not worth discussing. Wings are still a great team, a bit hard to live up to some of the former teams but still very very sound in all aspects. I am interested to see how howard does in the playoffs. If he can play this good in the big games then the future looks very steady.

Dubz
03-23-2010, 06:46 PM
The newspaper read that Crosbys antics were a "fitting" way for the game to end...that is pretty much what i was sayin.(expected and somewhat accepted in this league) I think its magnified because it was Crosby being a douche and there is quite the recent history between the two teams, is all. You can disagree with that...no worries.

Justify cross checking Gorman...is that what you are asking me to do? I also called him a douche...never once did I try to defend anybody. re read or quit reading between the lines because thats not what i said/am saying at all.

Didnt mean to get you riled up...and i would be too if it happened to Kessel. Doubt id blow it up tho.... BUT i just might:lol:

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-23-2010, 06:59 PM
The newspaper read that Crosbys antics were a "fitting" way for the game to end...that is pretty much what i was sayin.(expected and somewhat accepted in this league) I think its magnified because it was Crosby being a douche and there is quite the recent history between the two teams, is all. You can disagree with that...no worries.

Justify cross checking Gorman...is that what you are asking me to do? I also called him a douche...never once did I try to defend anybody. re read or quit reading between the lines because thats not what i said/am saying at all.

Didnt mean to get you riled up...and i would be too if it happened to Kessel. Doubt id blow it up tho.... BUT i just might:lol:

Anyone who has ever played any type of competitive sports with any amount of great passion has been guilty of losing their lid/temper/self control at least once. Fuck, I'm a girl and I know I have. I really think ppl are making this into a bigger deal than it needs to be. . . probably in part b/c it is Mr.Crosby. I dunno. I don't like seeing the behavior nor do I condone it but I absolutely understand it.

Kyle
03-23-2010, 09:17 PM
Whos making that big of a deal guys? :rolleyes: Its the Wings thread and a dirty play happened to a Wings player, in the moments after we all strongly expressed our dislike of said dirty play. Who cares? People made us sound way more outraged than we were by comming in here and trying to defend him, thus forcing us to explain ourselves or accept being called drama queens in different words. None of us called for a suspension. It was a dirty punk play that would've pissed every one of you off equally if it happened to the star of your favorite team. I'd absolutely love to hear what you'd have to say 5-10 minutes after Thornton takes 4-5 checks to the back for doing nothing but outplaying the aggressor Sponge.

Again, none of us called for his head, the overreaction was by people who felt the need to come in and say we're being dramatic because its Crosby when it was the action and not the player that pissed anyone off.

Just let it go, quit trying to protect and justify a dipshit play by Crosby, who gives a fuck anymore:p

I again have to mention if this is Cory Perry, you're all in here agreeing with us that hes a dirty punk etc. etc. But because its Crosby you feel the need to justify and explain it and minimize it. I repeat, you're the ones giving special treatment to Crosby, not us. None of us gives a fuck who did it, we care about the fact that a little bitch who can't handle a loss felt the need to jab at our best players back with a stick 4-5 times.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-23-2010, 09:47 PM
Well to be perfectly honest, it isn't just here Kyle. It's all over message boards, yahoo articles, etc. You all are actually quite tame and level headed compared to some people out there. lol. Some of the shit I am hearing/reading coming out of Red Wings fans mouths is laughable. Personally speaking, I certainly never condoned the hitting and of course I would be pretty tiffed if it was my guy on the receiving end. I'm even a little bit irritated by the play being a Pens/Crosby fan. Like I said before I don't particularly like the bullshit but I do understand it. I don't really feel like that is protecting or trying to justify anything... it was certainly a loss of self control/assholish move, but I can only speak for myself.

As for comparing Crosby to Perry, I get what you are trying to say but I don't buy it. Corey Perry is a jag off simply for the sake of being a jag off. A lot of his dirtiness has nothing to do with being frustrated/outworked by another guy, it's just b/c he is a total jag. Crosby, on the other hand, just competes so hard, he hates to lose, and his emotions boil over and his frustration causes him to occasionally act out in a sometimes bastard way. I see monumental differences in the character and demeanor of those two players... just my 2 cents.

MrScientist
03-23-2010, 09:49 PM
Well to be perfectly honest, it isn't just here Kyle. It's all over message boards, yahoo articles, etc. You all are actually quite tame and level headed compared to some people out there. lol. Some of the shit I am hearing/reading coming out of Red Wings fans mouths is laughable. Personally speaking, I certainly never condoned the hitting and of course I would be pretty tiffed if it was my guy on the receiving end. I'm even a little bit irritated by the play being a Pens/Crosby fan. Like I said before I don't particularly like the bullshit but I do understand it. I don't really feel like that is protecting or trying to justify anything... it was certainly a loss of self control/assholish move, but I can only speak for myself.

As for comparing Crosby to Perry, I get what you are trying to say but I don't buy it. Corey Perry is a jag off simply for the sake of being a jag off. A lot of his dirtiness has nothing to do with being frustrated/outworked by another guy, it's just b/c he is a total jag. Crosby, on the other hand, just competes so hard, he hates to lose, and his emotions boil over and his frustration causes him to occasionally act out in a sometimes bastard way. I see monumental differences in the character and demeanor of those two players... just my 2 cents.

Let me stop ya there...this here innanet ain't the best place fer findin sane folks :lol:

Dubz
03-23-2010, 10:09 PM
Let me stop ya there...this here innanet ain't the best place fer findin sane folks :lol:

Good point.

I know little kids that were at that game.They were fucking crying because of the way Crosby was treated and jeered the entire game by the fans. Crying out loud, little kids. Dont feed me your BS. Its a mans game and tempers flare...call me what you will but if kids are crying and the big "kid" loses his cool, the worlds on fire all of a sudden. Grow some...I do agree that it will be a forgettable moment like Kyle said, unless your a kid and your hero has been crushed in front of your eyes. Sorry guys...ive been to the Joe and the fans are always awesome (welcoming the Leafs, usually) but in this instance (like I said earlier didnt watch the game) I think there is more of a boil over than is actually normal. Its being blown up. Plain and simple.

a0102030405
03-23-2010, 10:17 PM
Good point.

I know little kids that were at that game.They were fucking crying because of the way Crosby was treated and jeered the entire game by the fans. Crying out loud, little kids. Dont feed me your BS. Its a mans game and tempers flare...call me what you will but if kids are crying and the big "kid" loses his cool, the worlds on fire all of a sudden. Grow some...I do agree that it will be a forgettable moment like Kyle said, unless your a kid and your hero has been crushed in front of your eyes. Sorry guys...ive been to the Joe and the fans are always awesome (welcoming the Leafs, usually) but in this instance (like I said earlier didnt watch the game) I think there is more of a boil over than is actually normal. Its being blown up. Plain and simple.

they were just using it as a reason to hate on crosby.

i don't really dislike crosby, it's associated hate because of buttman.

Kyle
03-23-2010, 11:16 PM
Well to be perfectly honest, it isn't just here Kyle. It's all over message boards, yahoo articles, etc. You all are actually quite tame and level headed compared to some people out there. lol. Some of the shit I am hearing/reading coming out of Red Wings fans mouths is laughable.

Fair enough

phaneuf6
03-24-2010, 09:45 AM
I again have to mention if this is Cory Perry, you're all in here agreeing with us that hes a dirty punk etc. etc. But because its Crosby you feel the need to justify and explain it and minimize it. I repeat, you're the ones giving special treatment to Crosby, not us. None of us gives a fuck who did it, we care about the fact that a little bitch who can't handle a loss felt the need to jab at our best players back with a stick 4-5 times.

Oh c'mon Kyle with your Perry bullshit. Since when is a few cross checks equivalent to a 'cheapshot'?

Zetterberg clearly interfered with Crosby going to the net. He was hanging off of him. Add that to a 3-1 loss about to end, a growingly fierce rivalry between the two teams, and a frustrated player, and you get a reaction. I don't see how this is different from any other play you get at or near the end of other games.

phaneuf6
03-24-2010, 09:46 AM
they were just using it as a reason to hate on crosby.

i don't really dislike crosby, it's associated hate because of buttman.

Why do people associate Crosby with Bettman all of the time? I don't understand it.

MrScientist
03-24-2010, 10:41 AM
Zetterberg clearly interfered with Crosby going to the net.

:wtf:

So let's say he did interfere, then you're condoning teeing off on a guy because he interfered with someone? Iit could have been Letang for all I care, it was a bush league play and whoever would have done it is an asshole all the same.

phaneuf6
03-24-2010, 11:13 AM
:wtf:

So let's say he did interfere, then you're condoning teeing off on a guy because he interfered with someone? Iit could have been Letang for all I care, it was a bush league play and whoever would have done it is an asshole all the same.

I'm not necessarily defending Crosby's actions per se, but you guys are going overboard, calling it a cheapshot, saying he's a classless, dirty punk. I just don't understand why there's such an overreaction to a few crosschecks. And watch the replay dude, you'll see the interference, from the faceoff dot right to the net.

MrScientist
03-24-2010, 11:28 AM
I'm not necessarily defending Crosby's actions per se, but you guys are going overboard, calling it a cheapshot, saying he's a classless, dirty punk. I just don't understand why there's such an overreaction to a few crosschecks. And watch the replay dude, you'll see the interference, from the faceoff dot right to the net.

Yeah he ran some, I can accept the first one or two crosschecks for that. But for me, it's the fact that he took a few more after Zetty had disengaged and had his back turned to him.

chgorman
03-24-2010, 11:49 AM

Pretty sure you DID defend him, your exact quote being "its totally expected (and acceptable) to be a douche at the end of a game against a rival you may ultimately play for a cup against for the third straight year. Is it not?"

How is that NOT defending him? I reread it 4 times, as you requested, just to be sure, and it still sounds to me like you're defending him. There's no 'reading between the lines' going on, despite you accusing me of that. If I'm supposedly reading between the lines, then tell me how I'm supposed to interpret that? You pretty blantantly and clearly stated that its acceptable and expected for Crosby to do what he did... how else am I supposed to interpret that? If I say it's acceptable and expected for Franzen to spear Malkin in the face, then a) I'm saying it's acceptable and expected for Franzen spear Malkin in the face, I don't see how you or anybody else could interpret that any other way, and b) I'm obviously off my rocker, 'cuz it's NEVER accepted OR expected for Franzen (or any other player) to spear Malkin (or any other player) in the face, just like it's never expected or acceptable for any player - let alone Crosby, the supposed 'face of the league' - to let his frustrations get the best of him and tee off on another player with 6-8 hard crosschecks to the back that could potentially cause injury just because the player being the douche and his team got so clearly dominated all game. I don't care what some newspaper article that I've never read says about it being a 'fitting' ending to the game. If you want to post a link or even the actual text from the article, I might be able to give it some credence or respond to it, but without context, I can't tell if the author is off his rocker and actually DOES think it's expected and acceptable for Crosby to act the way he did, or if you're just twisting his words to help your argument.

Don't blame me because you weren't clear in your comments and are now backpeddaling hard after I called you out. If you don't feel Crosby's actions were acceptable and expected, then why did you say so?

Anyone who has ever played any type of competitive sports with any amount of great passion has been guilty of losing their lid/temper/self control at least once. Fuck, I'm a girl and I know I have. I really think ppl are making this into a bigger deal than it needs to be. . . probably in part b/c it is Mr.Crosby. I dunno. I don't like seeing the behavior nor do I condone it but I absolutely understand it.

I kind of understand it too, but he really needs to get an handle on that. He obviously still hasn't matured enough to be able to handle his frustrations in a reasonable manner. One, *maybe* two crosschecks, fine, that's still not cool, but slightly more reasonable, but Sid took it WAY over the line. Hammering a guy with chronic back issues 6-8 times at the end of a game for no apparent reason other than frustration because you and your team got dominated all game is bush league and absolutely unacceptable no matter how you cut it. I'm not bashing you or your comments Sponge, more just a general comment that Crosby still has some growing up to do, needs to quit it with the punk bitch hissy fits, and he's dropped back a notch or 2 in my books after that incident, after I was actually starting to like him a little bit more.

I've read plenty of ridiculously laughable stupid shit coming from Pens fans as well, which you failed to acknowledge. It goes both ways. If anything, the stuff Pens fans are saying is worse. At least Wings fans have a reason to be upset. What do Pens fan have to be upset about over the whole ordeal? It's absolutely ridiculous some of the stuff Pens fans are saying.

To be clear, I'm NOT saying some of the comments from Wings fans aren't ridiculous, just that it goes both ways.

Oh c'mon Kyle with your Perry bullshit. Since when is a few cross checks equivalent to a 'cheapshot'?

Zetterberg clearly interfered with Crosby going to the net. He was hanging off of him. Add that to a 3-1 loss about to end, a growingly fierce rivalry between the two teams, and a frustrated player, and you get a reaction.

:rolleyes: Gimme a break. Hanging off of him? Barely. I just rewatched the vid another three or four times ... Zetts had body position and maintained it all the way to the front of the net. There was nothing stopping Crosby from switching directions and going around him.

And regardless, whether it was interference or not, it still doesn't justify Crosby's insane overreaction to being frustrated. The fact that you're STILL trying to justify Crosby's actions is absolutely astounding to me.

I don't see how this is different from any other play you get at or near the end of other games.

I can see the difference (rarely does it involve 2 star players, it's usually 3rd/4th liners doing a bit of face washing, jawing at each other and tussling bit not much more, maybe the occasional face to face fight, but when is it ever 6-8 intentionally hard, unprovoked crosschecks to the back and an attempted suckerpunch of another star player? He took it WAY over the line) but whether you can see the difference too or not, it still doesn't make it okay or justify it, and the fact that you seem to think it does really makes me question your sanity. Take off the Crosby fanboy glasses and quit acting like he's blameless and justified in his actions here.

If Zetts was jawing at him all game, butt-ended him off the faceoff and then slew-footed him on the way to the net, yeah, anybody is gonna get damn pissed and probably look for some retribution, but that's not what happened. Crosby's antics were completely overboard and childish.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Why do people associate Crosby with Bettman all of the time? I don't understand it.

*some* (very few I think and hope) Wings fans fail to acknowledge the hard work it took to win a very awesome/intense 7 game series and they seem to think that Bettman *gave* Sidney Crosby and the Pens the cup last year b/c of the date of the final being moved. . . throw out the idea of battling hard and earning the right. It was clearly a clever arrangement between Sid and Gary in order to allow Sid to Hoist the Holy Grail. :shifty:

Chgor -- Of course I would prefer not to see the frustration and outburst but the guy is my captain and I accept him for who he is. He's still pretty young and hopefully doesn't make a career of losing his lid but I certainly will not crucify him for it. And yeah I can't argue the fact that some of the things that come out of my own peoples mouths are equally ridiculous but I was trying to confer the point that ppl were over reacting over this incident not saying that Wings fans are nuts and Pens fans are logic minded. But as bolts said, I guess the internet is just full of whack jobs. :lol:

Cornholio
03-24-2010, 01:03 PM
Don't know where else to put it.
Great clip!
http://watch.tsn.ca/off-the-record/off-the-record---march-18/#clip278023

Kyle
03-24-2010, 01:09 PM

Zetterberg clearly interfered with Crosby going to the net. He was hanging off of him

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

In case I wasn't clear enough, :lol:

Keep reaching. It was dirty, it was cheap, get over it. What point are you even making by now? You want to say we're making too big a deal yet no one would be saying shit by this point if people weren't braindead and insisted on constantly feeding the argument. So how about we let the Wings fans have their Wings thread and just move on and quit worrying about some useless exchange at the end of a game 2 days ago?

Kyle
03-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Don't know where else to put it.
Great clip!
http://watch.tsn.ca/off-the-record/off-the-record---march-18/#clip278023

God that guy doing the interview sucks ASS!!

phaneuf6
03-24-2010, 03:03 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

In case I wasn't clear enough, :lol:

Keep reaching. It was dirty, it was cheap, get over it. What point are you even making by now? You want to say we're making too big a deal yet no one would be saying shit by this point if people weren't braindead and insisted on constantly feeding the argument. So how about we let the Wings fans have their Wings thread and just move on and quit worrying about some useless exchange at the end of a game 2 days ago?

Well I figured I owed you and chgor a reply as I wasn't around yesterday. In any case, you guys are Wings fans and I'm a Crosby fan so we're really going to make no progress here. :beer:

redwingbill
03-24-2010, 07:26 PM
Here we are tonight sleepwalking vs a lesser opponent. Lets Friggin Get it going......

Dubz
03-24-2010, 07:40 PM
I give up...I have back peddled my way into a corner:lol:

I did find this funny tho

If I say it's acceptable and expected for Franzen to spear Malkin in the face, then a) I'm saying it's acceptable and expected for Franzen spear Malkin in the face, I don't see how you or anybody else could interpret that any other way, and b) I'm obviously off my rocker, 'cuz it's NEVER accepted OR expected for Franzen (or any other player) to spear Malkin (or any other player) in the face, just like it's never expected or acceptable for any player - let alone Crosby, the supposed 'face of the league' - to let his frustrations get the best of him

And the bolded part is somewhat naive....as a hockey fan you must know thats not factual.

I see you are pissed off Gorms but I didnt say Crosby once...I generalized. Thats the whole point here, If it wasnt Sid the facewash from Howard would have put this baby to bed...which it has been as far as the Wings players are concerned (from what ive read)

Im going to follow their lead...:beer:

Kyle
03-24-2010, 08:03 PM
Another good turnaround after a slow start today. 2-1, the Zetterberg/Bertuzzi/Filpulla line has been remarkable.

redwingbill
03-24-2010, 08:56 PM
Filppula!!!!!!!!!!!

Kyle
03-24-2010, 09:07 PM
Wow the Zetterberg/Filp/Bertuzzi line strikes again.

They entered this game with 13 combined points the last 2 games and now have somehow improved that pace to 20 combined points in the last 3. Thats just insane.

Zetterberg - 4 goals/7 points and +7 in 3 games
Filp - 4 goals/8 points and +8 in 3 games
Bertuzzi - 2 goals/5 points and +5 in 3 games

Thats dominance, good stuff. Great win tonight.

Hockeyis#1
03-25-2010, 02:50 AM
Thanks Filp, I now officially look like an asshole for criticizing you.

chgorman
03-25-2010, 08:28 AM
I'm getting bored/tired of discussing this too, so this'll be it for me on the topic:

I give up...I have back peddled my way into a corner:lol:

I did find this funny tho

If I say it's acceptable and expected for Franzen to spear Malkin in the face, then a) I'm saying it's acceptable and expected for Franzen spear Malkin in the face, I don't see how you or anybody else could interpret that any other way, and b) I'm obviously off my rocker, 'cuz it's NEVER accepted OR expected for Franzen (or any other player) to spear Malkin (or any other player) in the face, just like it's never expected or acceptable for any player - let alone Crosby, the supposed 'face of the league' - to let his frustrations get the best of himAnd the bolded part is somewhat naive....as a hockey fan you must know thats not factual.

And if that was all my quote consisted of, then yes, I agree, but you conveniently forgot to include the rest of what I said. If you're going to misquote me, or leave an important part of my quote out, then don't then go calling me naive in reference to it. Either quote the entire thing to give the proper context, or don't call me naive and try to twist my words. The entire quote was as follows, the bolded part being just as important as the non-bolded part, but yet you managed to conveniently *forget* to include it:

it's never expected or acceptable for any player - let alone Crosby, the supposed 'face of the league' - to let his frustrations get the best of him and tee off on another player with 6-8 hard crosschecks to the back that could potentially cause injury just because the player being the douche and his team got so clearly dominated all game

I agree, players will let their frustrations get the best of them from time to time and will take it out on the other team, but my whole point all along - which I've stated multiple times but you seem to have a tough time acknowleding - is that Crosby took it WAY over the line. 1-2 crosschecks, fine, that happens sometimes and although I don't think it's good for the game, it's generally expected/accepted. Crosby went far beyond that though and took it to unacceptable/unexpected levels. That's all I'm saying.

I see you are pissed off Gorms but I didnt say Crosby once...I generalized.

Oh, geez, sry, my bad for assuming that since everyone else was actually talking specifically about Crosby, that you were too, even though you never said anything about generalizing. How could I be so stupid?!? :$... :rolleyes:

Thats the whole point here, If it wasnt Sid the facewash from Howard would have put this baby to bed...which it has been as far as the Wings players are concerned (from what ive read)

Im going to follow their lead...:beer:

Would you guys quit pulling this shit? I woulda railed against Cooke, Guerin or any other Pens player just the same if they had pulled that BS that Crosby did. The difference is, at least I woulda expected BS like that outta a punk like Cooke. Everybody else on the Pens roster - including Crosby - *should* know better. Apparently The Kid didn't get the memo.

Thanks Filp, I now officially look like an asshole for criticizing you.

Don't beat yourself up, haha, for the first 3/4 of the season, he legitimately deserved the criticism. The guy could have 30 goals right now if he hit half the open nets he's missed this season.

(a little exageration for effect there, but the point remains the same)

Cornholio
03-25-2010, 01:43 PM
that line is HUGE right now!

WIS
03-25-2010, 06:46 PM
"There's so many things that need to go right for you to win, to be successful," Crosby said. "It's a tough league to win in every night."

Not everyone is a fan of this collective communal opportunity. Some like the old set-up, where money talked and most teams walked away when it came to crunch time.

"The system was working real good when we could spend more money than everyone else and always had more talent than everyone else," Wings coach Mike Babcock grumbled. "I liked that system." (http://www.windsorstar.com/sports/price+parity/2714977/story.html):beer:

Hamsterkill
03-25-2010, 06:54 PM
I remember those days -- when Toronto still couldn't win a cup. Zing! :p

WIS
03-25-2010, 07:05 PM
I remember those days -- when Toronto still couldn't win a cup. Zing! :p
:lol::lol: I don't want to derail their thread so I'm only going to say one thing. Very true, but they did go to the Conference Final twice in the past decade and the same would not be said had Burke or someone with more experience been there before. I'll post something in the Leafs thread that will relate to this if you'd like to read it.

Dubz
03-25-2010, 07:20 PM
Well Gorms, since you wrote a novel and picked apart every word I typed into chapters...ill respond in the same manner....No I wont. Ill just quote this and agree to disagree.

I agree, players will let their frustrations get the best of them from time to time and will take it out on the other team, but my whole point all along - which I've stated multiple times but you seem to have a tough time acknowleding - is that Crosby took it WAY over the line. 1-2 crosschecks, fine, that happens sometimes and although I don't think it's good for the game, it's generally expected/accepted. Crosby went far beyond that though and took it to unacceptable/unexpected levels. That's all I'm saying.
The thing is I acknowledge your point (see my Kessel comment)but feel its being blown out of proportion and you seem to acknowledge mine but feel "its not good for the game" (hopefully thats not a misquote....taken out of context in order to twist your words;)) You've proven my point by agreeing with the bolded part...thats all I was saying. I doubt thats the absolute worst ("MOST RIDICULOUS") thing youve ever seen posted on HI...but you very well could feel that way.

MrScientist
03-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Ok I gotta add some of these pics, they are hilarious :lol::

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs465.snc3/25518_1372351422538_1044352533_1129471_4041281_n.j pg

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs439.snc3/25229_627891039546_38507225_35472290_7428431_n.jpg

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs482.snc3/26371_10150165616255006_687555005_11268132_3187247 _n.jpg

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs440.snc3/25269_1432713658280_1246052954_31254260_2012944_n. jpg

Kyle
03-25-2010, 09:19 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

03-25-2010, 09:25 PM
Ok I gotta add some of these pics, they are hilarious :lol::

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs439.snc3/25229_627891039546_38507225_35472290_7428431_n.jpg

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs482.snc3/26371_10150165616255006_687555005_11268132_3187247 _n.jpg

Can't decide which I like better... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Dubz
03-25-2010, 09:26 PM
http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs465.snc3/25518_1372351422538_1044352533_1129471_4041281_n.j pg

:lol:

Kyle
03-26-2010, 12:35 AM
Important regulation loss for Calgary tonight. That puts us 4 points ahead with a game in hand.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-26-2010, 01:59 AM
One and done

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-26-2010, 02:02 AM
hahah jk. Obviously the Wings are a real threat any time they make the post season. Goaltending has to be a concern, not bc Howard isn't great, but b/c he lacks valuable NHL post season experience. Either way, if I were a Wings fan I'd be feeling a lot better now a days than say a month or two ago. . .

That being said. I grabbed Filppula for my fantasy playoff run, sent Goligoski down to the farm to open up the roster space. I really hope he can stay hot here down the stretch. 2 more games this week and 4 games for the Wings next week. All I ask for is a couple of goals or assists. Just a little extra padding. I figure with how hot that line has been he offers some good potential for some added points. I feel that I am pretty safe in assuming he will out score Goligoski from here out.

a0102030405
03-26-2010, 08:29 AM
love the do something pic lol.

Cornholio
03-26-2010, 11:21 AM
Is it playoff time already?
Where do those trasy posts come from? :cool:

MrScientist
03-26-2010, 11:59 AM
Is it playoff time already?
Where do those trasy posts come from? :cool:

They all came from "Jimmy Howard Punching Sidney Crosby In The Face" fan page on Facebook haha

redwingbill
03-26-2010, 08:54 PM
Kicking some wild Azz tonight.... 6 - 2

chgorman
03-26-2010, 09:39 PM
Kicking some wild Azz tonight.... 6 - 2

Yup, def nice to see, the important gm is tomorrow though.

Kyle
03-26-2010, 10:39 PM
Domination tonight

Cornholio
03-27-2010, 07:09 AM
The 1st was so boring, I went to bed after it. The powerplay was terrible!

Luckily I watched the rest of the game from the ESPN Player archive wothout knowing the score.
Great game in the other periods.

Kyle
03-27-2010, 02:24 PM
Your seasons over flamers, look out West, we're in :D

a0102030405
03-27-2010, 03:13 PM
a wings win over nashville moves them in tie for 5th with a game in hand.

fuck yeah!!

The worst that could happen is if detroit gets chicago in the 1st round. bring on the sharks, coyotes, or canucks. But whichever the opponent I feel confident in Detroit even with jimmy in nets (last year varly and hiller did it so why can't he)

chgorman
03-27-2010, 05:35 PM
a wings win over nashville moves them in tie for 5th with a game in hand.

fuck yeah!!

The worst that could happen is if detroit gets chicago in the 1st round. bring on the sharks, coyotes, or canucks. But whichever the opponent I feel confident in Detroit even with jimmy in nets (last year varly and hiller did it so why can't he)

No way, CHI's goaltending is weak, Niemi's never played a playoff gm, Huet is an absolute joke, they're missing Campbell and they don't have great depth after their top 2 fwd lines and top D pair. IMO, the worst would be to face VAN - top tender, great depth throughout the lineup, I htink they're almost completely healthy. IMO DET can take any team in the West, but VAN would be the toughest challenge IMO.

Cornholio
03-27-2010, 06:29 PM
I also would love to see Wings vs Hawks in the first round!

MrScientist
03-27-2010, 06:58 PM
I also would love to see Wings vs Hawks in the first round!

I'd say, in this order:

Chicago
San Jose
Phoenix
Vancouver

If Colorado makes a run and gets to #3, they'd be first on this list.

Also, were you in the Puck Daddy playoff chat the other day? I saw someone named Cornholio ask something and, let's face it, there aren't too many floating around :lol:

redwingbill
03-27-2010, 07:05 PM
Fuck Nashville, You screwed up country music so screw off. Bunch of Sellouts!!! lol

Here comes the league wide chant " Red Wings Suck " : rolling eyes :

Chilly_Willy
03-27-2010, 09:00 PM
That "Red Wings Suck" chant pisses me off. I was at the united center a few years ago and had to listen to it for 60 minutes. When the red wings won in OT and the booing died down I shouted "Red wings suck!! Red wings Suck!!" in my Fedorov jersey.

P.S. - down goes Calgary 0-5 against Boston

redwingbill
03-27-2010, 09:07 PM
That "Red Wings Suck" chant pisses me off. I was at the united center a few years ago and had to listen to it for 60 minutes. When the red wings won in OT and the booing died down I shouted "Red wings suck!! Red wings Suck!!" in my Fedorov jersey.

P.S. - down goes Calgary 0-5 against Boston

Fedorov was the man!!!. I would have liked to seen a game @ the old Chicago Stadium.

redwingbill
03-27-2010, 09:50 PM
Tuzzi takes Rinne to the woodshed, Eaves blows a tire and Kronwall wins it. Fucking Great!

Ohhh Yeahhhh Howarddddddddddd stoned em....

Chilly_Willy
03-27-2010, 09:52 PM
3 pts for wings. Many CGY is really in trouble now

Dubz
03-27-2010, 09:55 PM
Eaves shouldnt be taking shots in the shoot out.:lol: Im a huge Howard fan after watching that...this guys come a long way.

It was actually odd to see them face a little adversity this year (not odd they had to considering injuries)

I think they match up well against less physical teams in the playoffs. I wouldnt consider CHI one of them. Either way...its nice to be part of the show, Congrats

Spartan
03-27-2010, 09:57 PM
That took forever, I think Howard was gonna have to be the next shooter.

Kyle
03-27-2010, 10:44 PM
Wow, all the sudden Wings are in 6th place, 1 point out of 5th (With a game in hand) and are about to begin a 3 game homestand. Loving this turnaround.

Hockeyis#1
03-28-2010, 12:08 AM
That took forever, I think Howard was gonna have to be the next shooter.Is there anything in the rules that says he couldn't be? How epic would it be to have a goalie score a shootout winning goal?

Chilly_Willy
03-28-2010, 12:22 AM
Eaves shouldnt be taking shots in the shoot out.:lol: Im a huge Howard fan after watching that...this guys come a long way.

It was actually odd to see them face a little adversity this year (not odd they had to considering injuries)

I think they match up well against less physical teams in the playoffs. I wouldnt consider CHI one of them. Either way...its nice to be part of the show, Congrats

That eaves shot was certainly not as epic as the Wideman one but it was in the neighborhood lol. I LOL'd at holmstrom too. His attempt wasn't bad but just watching Holmstrom stickhandle and deek is LOL. He is 1-5 in his career.

I am sure there will be better vids of it tomorrow but someone put one up already
YouTube- Patrick Eaves Shootout Fail vs Predators 3/27/2010

Cornholio
03-28-2010, 06:48 AM
Eaves shouldnt be taking shots in the shoot out.:lol:
Neither should Kronwall... ;)
And I missed Helm on the shootout...

chgorman
03-28-2010, 08:20 AM
It's really too bad that Eaves fell, 'cuz it looked to me like he had Rinne beat with the move he made before he blew the tire. No worries though, they still won, with Jimmy playing amzing all game and into the shootout.

I echo Kyle's sentiments, this turnaround and jump up the standings is really exciting and is making really excited for the playoffs. Considering the adversity this team has had to suffer through this season, to be where they're at is simply phenominal.

a0102030405
03-28-2010, 09:45 AM
That eaves shot was certainly not as epic as the Wideman one but it was in the neighborhood lol. I LOL'd at holmstrom too. His attempt wasn't bad but just watching Holmstrom stickhandle and deek is LOL. He is 1-5 in his career.

I am sure there will be better vids of it tomorrow but someone put one up already
YouTube- Patrick Eaves Shootout Fail vs Predators 3/27/2010 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JLpbvORmbM&feature=youtube_gdata)

was the ref laughing too lol? Funny stuff.

MrScientist
03-28-2010, 09:56 AM
was the ref laughing too lol? Funny stuff.

Haha yeah he was, Eaves had a huge grin going before he even hit the ice though, it was fantastic :lol:

Hockeyis#1
03-30-2010, 04:47 PM
Read this, felt it was my duty to re-post.

My Dear, Sweet Eastern Conference,

I thought that maybe, perhaps, we could work out our differences, put our checkered past behind us, start fresh, and caress one another lovingly. But after what you allowed to transpire yesterday, I'm afraid I've got to say that it's over. Get your shit and get out of here.

Last night in the hockey capital of the world - Sunrise, Florida - with just over three minutes separating the mighty Panthers (http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/teams/FLA) from a moral victory, you allowed the Nashville Predators (http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/teams/NAS) to tie the game, which propelled them into a very quick overtime win. I feel like Nashville must have just been playing with your emotions, like a dad letting his son take the lead in a game of horse...until the son gets all cocky and dad shows him what's up. Someone asked me if I was watching, and -- while trying my best to politely mask my laughter -- I told them I had my fill of Pee-Wee hockey in 1994, when I graduated to Bantam. I did, however, watch The Mighty Ducks (http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/teams/ANA) on cable the other night. Does that count? Charlie Conway does have a bit of a Sidney Crosby-always-crying-for-some-goddamn-reason thing going on.

But back to the story. For the eleventy billionth time this season, an Eastern team shat the bed against a Western counterpart. In fact, can you look back on this season and show me one time that the Eastern Conference beat a Western Conference team that benefited the Red Wings (http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/teams/DET)?
Go ahead, I'll wait.

Only six of the fifteen Leastern Conference teams have a winning record against the West this season. Two of those are marginal, at best (9-8 and 8-7). By comparison, THIRTEEN of fifteen Western Conference teams have winning records against the East. The two that don't? The Edmonton Oilers (http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/teams/EDM) and Dallas Stars (http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/teams/DAL) (each of whom are 7-9). Powerhouses, they are.

Sure, you're kinda sexy in that "look how many goals I can score" kind of way. But your insecurities on defense are shining through something fierce. Boston, the team that's playing the role of Bubble Pace Car in the East, is sitting at 80 points: good enough for 13th in the West and teetering on the brink of elimination. In fact, if you throw out #1 and #15 on both sides, the team representing the West has more points than it's East counterpart (i.e., #2 Pittsburgh's 95 points vs. #2 Chicago's 99)

I've been saying for weeks to anyone that would listen that whoever comes out of the West could sweep whoever comes out of the East. I don't care if it's an 8 playing the top seeded Washington Capitals (http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/teams/WAS) (who remind me of Nelson Muntz. Sure they're the toughest kid in school, but they're still ten. In a few years, when you get to middle school, someone's older brother is going to pound that ass by the monkey bars for treating kid sister that way...).

Yeah, that sweep declaration may be a bit of an exaggeration. The Pittsburgh Penguins (http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/teams/PIT), oh how I loathe them, are a good hockey club - top to bottom. And you never know what you're going to get from the New Jersey Devils (http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/teams/NJD), but if we've learned anything in our last two decades together, it's not to overlook that club.
But in a seven game series? There's a lot of talk coming from that half of the league for a bunch of teams that have done just shy of nothing. It's like beating the crap out of all your friends playing from the ladies' tee -- and then strutting up to the first hole of the Masters. Those are golf terms, get ready to hear more of those in the coming weeks.

The Mighty Capitals -- who clinched the conference in a way only an Eastern team could: by getting their asses kicked by a Western team outside of the playoffs, and waiting for New Jersey to fail the next night -- are going to win the President's Trophy, but they can't be too proud of it. It's like being the best reader in remedial English. Yeah, it's an accomplishment...but come on.

Of the last 13 Stanley Cup winners, 8 have come from the West. The West is 50-29 in Stanley Cup Finals games in that span. I'm just sayin'... prepare yourself.
I wish it didn't have to come crashing down like this, I really do. If at any point all year, you sent a little love our way, things might have ended differently.
See you in June, when I show up to the dance with a chick that makes you look like you fell out of an ugly tree, hitting every branch on the way down, before getting struck by a bus. In the rain. While wearing crocs.

Sincerely,
EVERYONE WEST OF GEORGIA
P.S. $3.5 million dollars a year for Kris Letang (http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/players/55422/Kris_Letang)? KRIS LETANG?
Really?
Okay, it's your money.

Kyle
03-30-2010, 07:06 PM
2-0 so far, smooth sailing

redwingbill
03-30-2010, 07:09 PM
pedal to the metal (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pedal+to+the+metal)

It's nice to see how the engine runs with ALL it's parts in place.

Kyle
03-30-2010, 07:16 PM
3-0 16-7 shots at the end of the 1st

Cornholio
03-30-2010, 08:10 PM
Yeah, and they kinda stop playing after the 4th goal.
Oilers score twice, both don't need to be scored if the Wings wouldn't play so careless!!
But that Deslauriens guy is huge, he stopped at least 3 or 4 pucks that seemed to be sure goals!!!

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-30-2010, 08:32 PM
Downplay the current 4-3 score all you like but Edmonton is a team with like absolutely nothing to lose... Detroit is veteran, experienced, and good (great) enough to realize that this makes for a very, very difficult and dangerous opponent. The Oilers have been coming up with some real solid efforts/games lately. I for sure think the Wings will take this one but shame on them for taking a nap against a dangerous foe.

redwingbill
03-30-2010, 08:49 PM
So Penner leaves with a eye injury and the Oilers wake up! WTF......

Kyle
03-30-2010, 08:50 PM
Tie game, wow

MrScientist
03-30-2010, 08:55 PM
Brad Stuart, daaaaaa fuck?

redwingbill
03-30-2010, 08:59 PM
Datsyuk, one of the best players in the world that does not get enough credit!

A win is a win

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-30-2010, 09:05 PM
Datsyuk, one of the best players in the world that does not get enough credit!

A win is a win

Really? B/c even as a hockey fan outside of Detroit I am pretty damned certain he gets a TON of respect and credit. . . really not sure how or why the disrespect card is being played on Pavs...

Kyle
03-30-2010, 09:10 PM
Yeah I think you're reading too much into that moronic conversation Daniels/Redman/Murphey had. They're simply wrong. Datsyuk has been acknowledged as a top 5 overall forward for at least 4-5 years now. He caught a bad rap for his poor production durring the injuries this year but people are well aware of the turnaround hes made.

redwingbill
03-30-2010, 09:13 PM
Really? B/c even as a hockey fan outside of Detroit I am pretty damned certain he gets a TON of respect and credit. . . really not sure how or why the disrespect card is being played on Pavs...

It's just my opinion, I'm entitled to that.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-30-2010, 09:18 PM
Of course we are all entitled to our opinions I just don't understand the reasoning behind that particular one. Even as an avid hockey fan who absolutely despises the Red Wings (but respects them immensely) I'd love to have a guy like Datsyuk on the Pens or Sharks, that's for sure !

chgorman
03-30-2010, 09:18 PM
Downplay the current 4-3 score all you like but Edmonton is a team with like absolutely nothing to lose... Detroit is veteran, experienced, and good (great) enough to realize that this makes for a very, very difficult and dangerous opponent. The Oilers have been coming up with some real solid efforts/games lately. I for sure think the Wings will take this one but shame on them for taking a nap against a dangerous foe.

I don't see anybody downplaying it. Absofuckinglutely pathetic display by the Wings after going up 4-0. I'll take the win, but they definitely didn't deserve it after that sorry assed display to finish the 2nd and basically all but the final couple minutes of the 3rd. TBH, I don't even think the Stuart goal should have counted IMO. It was too close to call, and I'm happy a call finally went the Wings way after a season full of terrible calls going against them, but it looked like a high stick to me. Deslauriers certainly thought so, he was PISSED when the final buzzer sounded, haha. I don't blame him. He had a huge game, saved a number of sure goals, and to lose on a disputable goal/call like that after the game he had is super frustrating.

Wings better play a full 60 vs. CBJ on thurs, 'cuz the Jackets have been playing some solid hockey lately.

Hamsterkill
03-30-2010, 09:35 PM
Of course we are all entitled to our opinions I just don't understand the reasoning behind that particular one. Even as an avid hockey fan who absolutely despises the Red Wings (but respects them immensely) I'd love to have a guy like Datsyuk on the Pens or Sharks, that's for sure !
Indeed. I think the only way someone could consider him undercredited is if someone believes he's better than Sid/Alex.

redwingbill
03-30-2010, 09:41 PM
Indeed. I think the only way someone could consider him undercredited is if someone believes he's better than Sid/Alex.

He's right there with those guys, no doubt about it.

Kyle
03-31-2010, 12:20 AM
I'm loving the looks of our last 10 games on NHL.com. 9-0-1. 1 point behind Nashville with 2 games in hand. Its nice to be able to put clinching a playoff spot behind us and now focus on getting a better seed.

I think they will let Ossy finally play a game vs CBJ on Thursday. Howard looked like he could use the break tonight.

canuckthug
03-31-2010, 12:26 AM
As of today, round 1 match up is Red Wings vs Canucks -----> With that said, you guys better finish 5th.

chgorman
03-31-2010, 06:32 AM
I'm loving the looks of our last 10 games on NHL.com. 9-0-1. 1 point behind Nashville with 2 games in hand. Its nice to be able to put clinching a playoff spot behind us and now focus on getting a better seed.

I think they will let Ossy finally play a game vs CBJ on Thursday. Howard looked like he could use the break tonight.

That's a little premature. As far as I can tell, the Wings haven't clinched anything yet, have they?

Kyle
03-31-2010, 12:53 PM
That's a little premature. As far as I can tell, the Wings haven't clinched anything yet, have they?

8 points ahead of 8th place with 6 games left each? Come on, Calgary needs to win all 6 and we can't get 5 points in 6 games or they have no possible chance. Its nearly statistically impossible for us to fall to 9th place anymore.

Cornholio
03-31-2010, 03:31 PM
6 points behind the Hawks :D

chgorman
03-31-2010, 03:57 PM
8 points ahead of 8th place with 6 games left each? Come on, Calgary needs to win all 6 and we can't get 5 points in 6 games or they have no possible chance. Its nearly statistically impossible for us to fall to 9th place anymore.

All I'm saying is they haven't clinched anything *yet*, that I'm aware of, so lets not go jumping the gun. I realize it's highly unlikely that they miss the playoffs at this point, but stranger things have happened. the 2nd half of last night's game is a pretty good indicator of the type of play that would lead to them missing the playoffs, so hopefully they don't play like that very much or at all over the next 6 gms.

Kyle
03-31-2010, 04:03 PM
I wasn't using clinch literally dude :rolleyes:

Sorry if you're the superstitious type, but I'm the logical type. We're in the playoffs, done deal. We're more likely to get 10 points than 5 points the next 6 games and I also don't think Calgary has won 6 straight all year. Combine that with the fact that they've been mediocre lately and we've been absolutely brilliant the last month, and I will repeat: 9th place is no longer a concern of ours. Now the focus is on home ice as often as we can get it.

chgorman
03-31-2010, 04:50 PM
I wasn't using clinch literally dude :rolleyes:

Sorry if you're the superstitious type, but I'm the logical type. We're in the playoffs, done deal. We're more likely to get 10 points than 5 points the next 6 games and I also don't think Calgary has won 6 straight all year. Combine that with the fact that they've been mediocre lately and we've been absolutely brilliant the last month, and I will repeat: 9th place is no longer a concern of ours. Now the focus is on home ice as often as we can get it.

I'm not at all superstitious, I'm logical as well, and I pretty much agreed with you without being quite as absolute about it as you by saying it's highly unlikely that they miss the playoffs, but the bottom line is they haven't clinched a playoff spot yet.

And don't gimme the rolly eyes. When somebody says 'Its nice to be able to put clinching a playoff spot behind us', 99 out 100 ppl would assume you're implying that they've already clinched, and the one that doesn't assume that is clearly crazy. How was I supposed to know you weren't being literal about it?

Dubz always tells me not to read between the lines, but I guess I was supposed to this time. Shame on me. :rolleyes:

Kyle
03-31-2010, 04:55 PM
But you also know I'm not the type to not (Double negative woot) be aware of the fact that we haven't literally clinched a spot. I'm clearly a stats nerd, you know that well enough. It just should've been fairly obvious that my point was more or less we don't have to really worry about it anymore, I think much more than 1 out of 100 people would've seen that;)

Chilly_Willy
03-31-2010, 06:51 PM
These standings are crazy they way teams are shooting up and down. I don't remember this much activity in years passed. Maybe I wasn't paying attention cause the wings were almost always clinching a spot well before this time.

a0102030405
03-31-2010, 08:13 PM
6 points behind the Hawks :D

whoa I didn't know it was that close. I thought Chicago ran away with the division title.

Chilly_Willy
03-31-2010, 09:12 PM
They were looking that way but they have lost like 6 games in a row

eykwingnut
04-01-2010, 11:10 AM
I like how you say that in an offensive manner as if it hurts my feelings to hear Wings fans (or any fans) calling Sid a bitch. :lol:
I had to address this before I read the rest of the thread that I've missed because I haven't been on in a while.

Yeah, that's it. When I was typing "Crosby is a bitch" in the Red Wings thread I was thinking about how I could piss off Penguins fans. :rolleyes: Get a life... You are in the "Red Wings" thread where RED WINGS FANS post. If you don't want to read about Crosby being a bitch, then don't come in this thread.

Kyle
04-01-2010, 06:52 PM
Quick 1-0 start, go Holmer

redwingbill
04-01-2010, 07:08 PM
1 - 1

MrScientist
04-01-2010, 07:45 PM
Pavel Datsyuk will be arrested after tonight's game on charges of rape against Steve Mason.

redwingbill
04-01-2010, 08:34 PM
Keep Away Time..... 3 - 1 Wings

chgorman
04-02-2010, 11:56 AM
whoa I didn't know it was that close. I thought Chicago ran away with the division title.

I thought so too, but if DET keps winning and CHI loses a couple of their remaining gms, it could make the last game of the season a pretty interesting one.

Home ice in the 1st round would be so sweet.

Gotta get past Nashville first though, then we can worry about CHI. Another big gm tomorrow! 2pm start for anyone who doesn't know. Should be a pretty good battle.

Cornholio
04-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Great win, medicore game, and I HATE those late goals against...

eykwingnut
04-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Playing again after less than 24 hours + travel...

Kyle
04-04-2010, 11:50 AM
:lol:We're losing 2-0 halfway through the first. Going according to plan so far

redwingbill
04-04-2010, 11:51 AM
:lol:We're losing 2-0 halfway through the first. Going according to plan so far

Got em right where we want them.....lol

Kyle
04-04-2010, 11:52 AM
I think 2-3 goals down has been our best hockey all year, sadly enough

Kyle
04-04-2010, 12:01 PM
Eat shit Donger you can bully one guy away from the front of the net but you can't say shit to two. 2-1

a0102030405
04-04-2010, 12:03 PM
whooooooo 2-2 Helmer.

also Pierre has a hard on for Lapierre.

eykwingnut
04-04-2010, 12:16 PM
I hope the wings control their tempers (which they usually do). I just don't want anyone injuring himself in a fight. Oh ya, eat shit Hartnell, and get a damn haircut. That's why your wife cheated on you, clown.

MrScientist
04-04-2010, 12:36 PM
Pierre, I don't see how Carcillo trying to get Homer to fight is "being an effective pest." It's kinda more like "trying to get a non-fighter to make me look like less of a pussy"

redwingbill
04-04-2010, 12:58 PM
Helm is taking a beating today......Fuggin Pronger, Damn egg head!

Cornholio
04-04-2010, 01:52 PM
Motherfucker Carcillo!
I actually like that guy, but not against "my" Wings ;)

I wish somebody would really beat him up, and I mean real beating! :evilgrin:

Kyle
04-04-2010, 02:01 PM
Ok Ossy you had your chance, get Howard back out here next game.

Dubz
04-04-2010, 04:26 PM
Pierre, I don't see how Carcillo trying to get Homer to fight is "being an effective pest." It's kinda more like "trying to get a non-fighter to make me look like less of a pussy"

I dont see how thats not a penalty.

Chilly_Willy
04-04-2010, 05:09 PM
No more back to back games left in the season does anyone think that was Osgood's last NHL game?

Dubz
04-04-2010, 05:11 PM
No more back to back games left in the season does anyone think that was Osgood's last NHL game?

:yesyes:

Cornholio
04-04-2010, 05:13 PM
Not sure, since his contract is running next year as well...

MrScientist
04-04-2010, 05:39 PM
His contract is up after next season and he's at 396 wins. He's stated that he wants to get to 400 wins, so he'll probably retire after next season. It's not like there are many doubts about Howard anymore, so Detroit doesn't really need a stud backup.

alias
04-04-2010, 06:46 PM
His contract is up after next season and he's at 396 wins. He's stated that he wants to get to 400 wins, so he'll probably retire after next season. It's not like there are many doubts about Howard anymore, so Detroit doesn't really need a stud backup.

I dont care who the goalie is and how well he does in his rookie year, I will never say I have no doubts about a goaltender until he can put up solid numbers for at least 2, preferably 3 seasons. Howard is less likely to suffer from the sophomore slump as he has more pro experience, but he is not immune to it.

MrScientist
04-04-2010, 06:49 PM
I dont care who the goalie is and how well he does in his rookie year, I will never say I have no doubts about a goaltender until he can put up solid numbers for at least 2, preferably 3 seasons. Howard is less likely to suffer from the sophomore slump as he has more pro experience, but he is not immune to it.

I didn't say there were none, I said there aren't many.

phaneuf6
04-04-2010, 07:07 PM

Isn't that what being a pest is? You're not being a 'pest' when you bug a fighter. You're being a pest when you are going after the top guys on the other team (ala Avery on Brodeur in the playoffs).

Chilly_Willy
04-04-2010, 09:59 PM
Red Wings are one of the most loyal franchises to their players so I agree Osgood will be back next season. Going into the playoffs with a Rookiee and Ozzy looking the way he is is a little nerve racking. Howard is not a young young goalie though and Ozzy does step up in the playoffs.

If Howard has a sophmore slump the wings are exposing them selves a bit by keeping Osgood on.

Hockeyis#1
04-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Isn't that what being a pest is? You're not being a 'pest' when you bug a fighter. You're being a pest when you are going after the top guys on the other team (ala Avery on Brodeur in the playoffs).+1

I don't have doubts about Howard, but he's not immune to sophmore slumps or the full blown Brian Boucher career path. I'd like to keep Ozzy or go for a respectable backup like Conklin was for us last season.

Hockeyis#1
04-07-2010, 03:50 AM
Just realized, if Detroit had won every one of the shootouts it was in, they'd be in 4th place and 2pts out of the division title, and 4pts out of the conference title.

eykwingnut
04-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Yeah, well if my aunt had nuts she'd be my unlce.

chicagohockey
04-07-2010, 11:44 AM

:lol:

That is flawed logic though because if that were the case for the Hawks they would be competing for the Presidents trophy and clinched the conference.

a0102030405
04-07-2010, 04:25 PM

hahah...waitwhut?
:freak:

Cornholio
04-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Sucks to know that, but it's not changeable anyway.
So let's keep the Wings pace up into the playoffs!!

Kyle
04-07-2010, 11:48 PM
Hello Phoenix.

Chilly_Willy
04-10-2010, 08:07 AM
"Please Detroit Phoenix, no west coast starts, please Detroit Phoenix, no west coast starts, please Detroit Phoenix, no west coast starts..." Also it looks almost garunteed that San Jose or Vancouver will match up with LA so at least one west coast team is garunteed to get knocked out first round, WuuHuuu!!

Thank you
Calgary
Anaheim
Edmonton
for not making it in

Cornholio
04-10-2010, 08:21 AM
Boring game last night...

Buckeye
04-10-2010, 09:17 AM
Boring game last night...

Seriously?!?!?!? I was at the game and it was exciting. Both goaltenders standing on their heads, 0-0 thru OT, pucks hitting posts numerous times, a shootout win on the last shooter. How the fuck do you figure it was boring?!?!?

chgorman
04-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Seriously?!?!?!? I was at the game and it was exciting. Both goaltenders standing on their heads, 0-0 thru OT, pucks hitting posts numerous times, a shootout win on the last shooter. How the fuck do you figure it was boring?!?!?

Agreed, I thought it was great too! Very exciting. Considering the Wings don't have anything other than playoff positioning to play for, and Columbus doesn't have anything at all to play for other than pride, I thought it was a very tense, exciting game for a late season game with little meaning for either team.

Yeah, might have been nice to see a few more goals scored, but the stellar goaltending by both goalies made up for it IMO.

If every NHL game was that exciting, the league would have a much easier chance of catching on in the US amongst those who don't really pay attention to it.

Kyle
04-10-2010, 09:59 AM
Yeah, amazing game, one of Detroit's best played of the entire season which is what I like to hear this close to the playoffs.

eykwingnut
04-10-2010, 10:10 AM
"Please Detroit Phoenix, no west coast starts, please Detroit Phoenix, no west coast starts, please Detroit Phoenix, no west coast starts..." Also it looks almost garunteed that San Jose or Vancouver will match up with LA so at least one west coast team is garunteed to get knocked out first round, WuuHuuu!!

Thank you
Calgary
Anaheim
Edmonton
for not making it in
1. Nothing is in stone yet.
2. Phoenix is 3 hours behind Detroit just like San Jose, Vancouver, and LA.

Cornholio
04-10-2010, 11:19 AM
Really??
Well, I was watching this game on the computer and Flyers@Caps on TV. Maybe the other game was more exciting due to the goals or the fact that both teams still fight for the playoffs...
Don't really know, very strange...

chgorman
04-10-2010, 11:40 PM
Considering the issues this team has had throughout the season, I find it pretty amazing that they're 8th overall in the league as of right now, with a gm to go in the reg season. the fact that this team was able to hit 100pts in the standings, let alone (possibly) 102, is amazing considering what they went through in the 1st half of the season.

I'm likin' the looks of things headin' into the postseason, despite not having home ice adv in the 1st rd.

Who knows, not having home ice adv in the 1st rd (for the first time in, ....forever) may actually be a blessing in disguise.

GO WINGS!!!

a0102030405
04-10-2010, 11:45 PM
I'm hoping they play either SJ or PHX. Chokers and an inexperienced team. :|

Chilly_Willy
04-11-2010, 01:27 AM
1. Nothing is in stone yet.
2. Phoenix is 3 hours behind Detroit just like San Jose, Vancouver, and LA.

Dammit I thought Phoenix was further east.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
04-11-2010, 01:42 AM
I'm hoping they play either SJ or PHX. Chokers and an inexperienced team. :|

Be careful what you wish for !

As a Sharks fan though... I gotta admit I'd rather not see the Wings in the first round. For obvious reasons... on the other hand... if SJ and Detroit did match up and the Sharks somehow pulled their heads far enough out of their asses to get a W -- what a huge momentum builder that would be. . .

That being said -- I'll PASS! :hahano:

Chilly_Willy
04-11-2010, 03:01 AM
Wings want revenge for 1994

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
04-11-2010, 03:02 AM
Wings want revenge for 1994

No Dice. They already got it. . .

a0102030405
04-11-2010, 09:07 AM
Be careful what you wish for !

As a Sharks fan though... I gotta admit I'd rather not see the Wings in the first round. For obvious reasons... on the other hand... if SJ and Detroit did match up and the Sharks somehow pulled their heads far enough out of their asses to get a W -- what a huge momentum builder that would be. . .

That being said -- I'll PASS! :hahano:

not to hate on the Sharks, but Marleau and Boyle are the only ones that would scare me as a wings fan. Those two are the only ones that play a little better in the playoffs. Maybe Heatley too. :|

but that said I know they're a good team if they start playing well could win

chgorman
04-11-2010, 10:09 AM
If DET has the tiebreaker vs. NSH (I don't know if they do, but I think so), then they can't fall any further than 6th in the West, and if SJ hasn't already clinched the West, the furthest they can fall is 2nd, so I don't think there's any way DET is going to be playing SJ in rd 1. Looks like it'll be VAN or PHX.

I think the only way DET can face SJ in the 1st rd is if they lose in regulation today, LA wins, NSH holds the tie-breaker over DET (pushing DET to 7th), and CHI holds the tie-breaker over SJ (pushing SJ to 2nd). The key being NSH holding the tiebreaker over DET, which I'm pretty sure isn't the case, but I'm not positive.

MrScientist
04-11-2010, 10:24 AM
If DET has the tiebreaker vs. NSH (I don't know if they do, but I think so), then they can't fall any further than 6th in the West, and if SJ hasn't already clinched the West, the furthest they can fall is 2nd, so I don't think there's any way DET is going to be playing SJ in rd 1. Looks like it'll be VAN or PHX.

I think the only way DET can face SJ in the 1st rd is if they lose in regulation today, LA wins, NSH holds the tie-breaker over DET (pushing DET to 7th), and CHI holds the tie-breaker over SJ (pushing SJ to 2nd). The key being NSH holding the tiebreaker over DET, which I'm pretty sure isn't the case, but I'm not positive.

Nashville has more wins, so they do.

Kyle
04-11-2010, 10:26 AM
Det loses tiebreaker to any West team because of our #1 OT losses in the West, meaning we have to have less wins than any teams we tie with.

Chilly_Willy
04-11-2010, 01:34 PM
looks like PHX or VAN forsure. @#$%@^&^* 10:00 pm EST start garunteed :kick:

Kyle
04-11-2010, 04:38 PM
WOOT bring on Phoenix!

04-11-2010, 04:45 PM
I think a CHI/DET series would be A LOT of fun to watch after watching that.

a0102030405
04-11-2010, 06:57 PM
I think a CHI/DET series would be A LOT of fun to watch after watching that.

too much fun for my liking.

Wings in 5. Bryz can't win alone.

two24four
04-18-2010, 11:36 AM
Hudler was let go by Moscow Dynamo, but he cant play for the Wings in the playoffs.

Kyle
04-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Excellent, he will be back next year:beer:

chgorman
04-18-2010, 11:48 AM
Great news! Would love to see Huds back in the lineup next season.

a0102030405
04-18-2010, 03:02 PM
even though I'm pissed he left in the 1st place, I would like to see him back.

chgorman
04-30-2010, 09:05 AM
Sound like it's gonna be official pretty soon...

(from rotoworld)
Jiri Hudler (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NHL&id=1573)-W- Red Wings (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_news.aspx?sport=NHL&majteam=DET) Apr. 30 - 7:40 am et http://www.rotoworld.com/images/right_corner_player_news.gif http://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif http://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif http://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif http://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif
Look for Jiri Hudler to sign a two-year contract with the Detroit Red Wings on Friday.
Hudler was released from his Moscow Dynamo contract this month as the team is ready to fold. Hudler was awarded a two-year deal last off-season by an arbitrator for $2.875 per season. While he is unable to play in the playoffs this season, Hudler will add some extra goal scoring to the Red Wings attack next season. He could be a 30 goal, 60 point player in Detroit in 2010-11.
Source: Detroit News (http://www.detnews.com/article/20100430/SPORTS0103/4300393/1128/sports0103/Jiri-Hudler-set-to-return-to-Wings-next-season)

great news! I'll be happy to see Huds back. J Willy was as good as gone even before this, but this'll pretty much cement it, which doesn't bother me one bit.

Gern Blansten
04-30-2010, 09:48 AM
I just read that. Where do you figure him in the line up?

MrScientist
04-30-2010, 09:52 AM
I just read that. Where do you figure him in the line up?

2nd line winger with Bertuzzi/Zetterberg. Holmstrom may retire, and even if not, Babcock has been playing him on the 4th line even strength at times. Filppula/Datsyuk/Franzen could be destructive.

chgorman
04-30-2010, 02:12 PM
2nd line winger with Bertuzzi/Zetterberg. Holmstrom may retire, and even if not, Babcock has been playing him on the 4th line even strength at times. Filppula/Datsyuk/Franzen could be destructive.

I dunno, Filp and Dats are too similar styles of play to play on the same line IMO. I could see line 1 being Cleary, Dats, Franzen, with line 2 being Filp, Zetts and either Bert or Huds.

The thing with Huds is he never seemed to do that well on the 1st or 2nd line 5 on 5 when he had the opportunity. Was always good on PP2, but couldn't seem to excel playing on one of the top 2 lines 5 on 5. Dunno if he was intimidated by playing with the top guys, or couldn't handle the opposing teams best defensive players or just couldn't handle the increased mins or what, but he always seemed to do better from the 3rd line in 5 on 5 situations in past yrs. I think either him or Bert start the season on the 3rd line.

Cornholio
05-01-2010, 01:37 AM
I dunno, Filp and Dats are too similar styles of play to play on the same line IMO. I could see line 1 being Cleary, Dats, Franzen, with line 2 being Filp, Zetts and either Bert or Huds.
you might need bert there to go to the front of the net.
cleary, bertuzzi or holmer can do that very well, maybe franzen, but he has too great hands to "waste" him there.

chgorman
05-01-2010, 09:39 AM
you might need bert there to go to the front of the net.
cleary, bertuzzi or holmer can do that very well, maybe franzen, but he has too great hands to "waste" him there.

Good point, didn't think of the net presence on line 2. Bert would probably fit better in that role.

Tough to say how things will play out.

It's official...

(from rotoworld)

Jiri Hudler-W- Red Wings May. 1 - 7:38 am et

The Detroit Red Wings have signed Jiri Hudler to a two-year/$5.75 million contract.
Hudler played for the now-defunct Moscow Dynamo this past season and was released when the team went under. "He wanted to come back to the NHL," his agent Petr Svoboda said. "He tried the European League for one year and had another year on his contract. But we got him out of it. Jiri had made the decision three or four weeks ago. He wanted to come back. He missed the NHL, he missed the Red Wings organization and he missed the guys." He is not eligible to play in the playoffs but will return in September. He is worth selecting late in most drafts as he should be a top-six forward for the Red Wings next season.
Source: Detroit News

I like this deal. If Huds can get 25-30 goals, 60-70 pts (very reasonable considering he put up 54pts in 54 gms with Dynamo in the low-offence KHL) then this is a great deal for DET.

Too bad he decided to leave in the first place, he'd be a solid player for DET right about now, but I don't hold a grudge, I'm happy to have him back.

MrScientist
05-01-2010, 09:55 AM
He's certainly a better ~$3 million dollar player than Cleary.

Chilly_Willy
05-03-2010, 11:06 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Hudler sign a "2" year contract with the Dynamo? What is it with this guy? I really question someone's character that takes the wings to arbitration, bales to the KHL then bales on them to come back. The wings and Illich family are tops in the league in terms of player treatment and loyalty. At times players take a salary hit to be on a team that is competitive year in year out but those that stick it out eventually see the $.

I am not an insider so I can't speak to what is truly going on but from the outside this guy seems like he can't be counted on. Kinda sucks to see the wings oblige him, especially since his leaving opened up a pretty big hole in the roster this season. Imagine our roster right now where Hudler is in for Miller and possibly having had better home ice position in the playoffs where Hudler filled in some of those injuries this season. Oh well I guess the wings could use him especially since Lieno didn't work out. Maybe he learned his lesson and is here to stay.

Edit: I see that the Dynamo went under so that explains how the contract situation worked out.

Kyle
05-04-2010, 12:24 AM
At the end of the day, we aren't getting any better as a team next year if we don't add Hudler to our roster. He is our best option for the cap space we have available. No one is happy with him but we are happy because he makes our team stronger.

Chilly_Willy
05-04-2010, 12:35 AM
Fo sho. Hudler is a necessary evil to maintain depth on the team. I hope he is coming back with the right attitude and commitment, and that the KHL was a learning experience.

chgorman
05-04-2010, 06:37 AM
He left because of money. Nothing more, nothing less. Dynamo offered him twice what DET was going to have to pay him through his arbitration award. He was awarded $5.75 over 2 yrs via arbitration while Dynamo offered him $10mil over 2 yrs (tax free). Would you turn down a chance to almost double your salary if given the opportunity, even if you really liked the company you were working for and people you were working with? I kinda doubt it.

It was nothing but a financial move on his part. He said it himself before he left - he had no issue with the Wings, the arbitration award or he NHL, really likes the org, his teammates, and he felt his arbitration award was fair, but when push comes to shove and you have the opportunity to almost double your salary for a couple yrs, it's not a very tough decision. His own teammates said the same thing. I remeber reading an article or two where various Wings currently with the team were asked for their thoughts and I think everyone I read quotes from said they'd probably do the same thing if given the opportunity.

It woulda been nice if he stayed, for sure, but he didn't and I hold no ill will towards him for taking the opportunity to make WAY more $$ than he was going to make here. It certainly doesn't raise 'character issues', Management isn't 'obliging' him in the way you're trying to imply, and in no way is he a 'necessary evil'. No offence Chilly, but you've got it all wrong. It sucks that he left, I don't think any Wings fan will argue that, but I for one am really glad that he is coming back.

Chilly_Willy
05-04-2010, 10:29 AM
I just see it a different way. First doubling my salary is different than doubling his. He makes more money in one shift then I make in a year at the arbitration rate. Fuck once you make a million dollars a year what is a million more, you are rich beyond anyone's wildest dreams. But also the wings are a career based franchise many players would give their left nut to join. Dynamo was risky move not only does the KHL have problem paying their players Hudler also got to see his team completely desolve, not to mention many alleged organized criminal connections that are involved in the KHL I would not want to be around. He is the luckiest player in the NHL to be back on the wings and I hope he plays like he knows it. The Radulov situation was rumored to have had some serious mafia style threats involved into his going back to the KHL.

I just hate to see the wings send a message that we'll welcome back a player that forces arbitration and then bales. It sends message to players that Detroit has no problems if you shit at the door step then come back in a year or two. Of course the organization and players are going to say its all good. The wings are a case study for handling the media. But I don't argue with your "its business" point of view. Not at all, its a win win. It just bothers me, the whole facing the fact that its all about the money. money >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> hockey. Its my one hate on Fedorov he went for the money and it wrecked his career, hudler is lucky, damb lucky.

a0102030405
05-04-2010, 10:32 AM
i agree with Chilly. I hate that he left for more money. If it was like from 800,000 to 4mill, then it would make sense. But when you have about 6 mill over 2 years, and are young enough to make a lot more down the line, you shouldn't need more (plus it's not like he was the lidstrom, datsyuk or zetterberg of the team, he was a quality depth forward with potential).

And I hate that Feds left for the same reason, he was my favorite Red Wing, even above Yzerman and Shanny.

chgorman
05-04-2010, 11:09 AM
i agree with Chilly. I hate that he left for more money. If it was like from 800,000 to 4mill, then it would make sense. But when you have about 6 mill over 2 years, and are young enough to make a lot more down the line, you shouldn't need more (plus it's not like he was the lidstrom, datsyuk or zetterberg of the team, he was a quality depth forward with potential).

And I hate that Feds left for the same reason, he was my favorite Red Wing, even above Yzerman and Shanny.

It's likely that he woulda made a lot more down the line, but there's no guarantees in this or any professional sports league. All it takes is one split second career ending injury and then all those years of 'making a lot more down the line' are out the window. Obviously that's an extreme example, but it's one of the reasons why pro athletes need to get the money when they can and are willing to take less in their later yrs. I don't see how you can hold a grudge against the guy for putting his own interests above the team's. If DET offered him $10mil tax free after Dynamo offered him $10mil tax free and he still chose to bolt to the KHL, then yeah, you've got a gripe, I'd be pissed too, but that's not what happened, and in a sport where your career can be ended before it even gets started, I don't blame the guy for taking the money when it's offered to him.

You, me and chilly can sit here all day and say 'what's another mill or two when you're already making 2 or 3 per yr' but we have no idea what Hudler's situation is. I'm sure you and I and Chilly would be very happy making a mil or 2 or 3 per yr in our jobs and wouldn't necessarily need another 2 or 3 on top of that to be happy, but we're also not pro hockey players putting out body on the line every other night for 82 gms plus playoffs, being away from our families for days/weeks on end, travelling all over hell's half acre and all the BS that entails, dealing with the pressure from management, coaches, teammates, fans and the media on a daily basis, etc etc. Maybe he's got family back home who are poor as hell and he's supporting them with some of his dough. Maybe he donates half his salary to charity every yr (unlikely, but not impossible).

I'm not gonna sit here and say that professional athletes aren't overpaid based on what they do, cuz for the most part they are IMO, but I'm also not gonna hold a grudge against a guy or roast him for leaving to take advantage of a great opportunity elsewhere, especially when we all know we'd very likely do the exact same thing in his situation. You can say 'oh no, I wouldn't, I'd be happy making half as much for the good of the team, blah blah blah' all day, but you can't really say with anything to back it up until you're actually in that situation, which is a helluva lot different than just sitting here with our average joe middle income jobs talking about it.

Spartan
05-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Anybody else tired of Karen Newman singing the anthem at the Joe?

MrScientist
05-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Anybody else tired of Karen Newman singing the anthem at the Joe?

Sort of a non-issue, it's not like she sucks.

Spartan
05-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Sort of a non-issue, it's not like she sucks.Its just that the Joe Louis experience is so tired. She can't hit the notes anymore and has lost the MILFness she once had. She needs a younger hotter replacement.

MrScientist
05-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Its just that the Joe Louis experience is so tired. She can't hit the notes anymore and has lost the MILFness she once had. She needs a younger hotter replacement.

I'm glad they hired Christy Lee when her WRIF stint was up. I saw that Jennifer chick (the previous in-game arena person) up close one game and she was fucking nasty. Decent body but a pound of makeup on, clearly not a good looking woman.

phaneuf6
05-11-2010, 07:07 PM
This was posted on my buddies Facebook. :lol:

http://thetwolinepass.com/2010/05/a-lament-for-henrik-zetterberg-an-unofficial-eulogy-for-the-2009-10-detroit-red-wings/

MrScientist
05-12-2010, 08:05 AM
Meh, the team bashing if of course expected after a playoff exit, but the city bashing is an old gag. Detroit is a cesspool, we get it.

chgorman
05-12-2010, 09:21 AM
That dude needs to get a life. Nothin' but a hater. He's as/more ridiculous, dilusional and out to lunch with his comments as any of the red-tinted-glasses-wearing-wings-fans that he's railing against. Talk about hypocritical. That's probably one of the most obnoxious blog postings I've ever read. Could the guy be any douchey-er?

Plus, how is that a 'eulogy'? Maybe I don't fully understand the concept of a eulogy , but aren't eulogies something that is said at a funeral with the intention of giving respect and reverence to the deceased? i.e. the opposite of what that guy was trying to accomplish? That was nothing but kicking a team, it's fans and the city while it's down. That's too easy. Anybody can do that. I might have had the slightest bit of respect for that guy if he had even attempted to take some semblance of the high road, but he chose to take the easy way out and just bash away until words lost all meaning.

Good for him, I'm sure there's lots of ppl out there who will agree with him and thus he'll bask in his douchey glory, but that's the last time I ever visit his blog.

eykwingnut
05-12-2010, 11:32 AM
Wow, I couldn't even read the whole thing... Written by a Hawks fan eh? Did he forget he's got Hossa on his team? Anyways, GO SHARKS!

Kyle
05-27-2010, 06:19 PM
I disagree, but I'm not going to get into it with you, especially not here in the TB thread.

That was unnecessarily bitter. Whats your deal? Make your point in the Wings thread then, I don't see how anybody I named was better the last two years than they were through 12 games this year. And I do realize its not as simple as just comparing their PPG paces but I don't see how the team underperformed at all this year. We just didn't find ways to close against SJ but we were playing way stronger hockey than last year IMO.

chgorman
05-28-2010, 06:53 AM
That was unnecessarily bitter. Whats your deal? Make your point in the Wings thread then, I don't see how anybody I named was better the last two years than they were through 12 games this year. And I do realize its not as simple as just comparing their PPG paces but I don't see how the team underperformed at all this year. We just didn't find ways to close against SJ but we were playing way stronger hockey than last year IMO.

Nah, no bitterness at all, sorry if it came off that way, wasn't my intention. Guess I could've worded it better. My bad.

I know how that conversation is going to go if we were to have it. I just don't have the time or inclination right now to argue with you over it, knowing it'll be minimum 50,000 words from each of us, spread over multiple posts over the next few days, likely degrading into us insulting each other at some point, and ultimately not really agreeing on anything, none of which I really have the time or energy for right now. So I'll just respectfully disagree and leave it at that. If I feel like revisiting this, I'll maybe do so some other time, in the Wings thread, but don't hold your breath.

chgorman
05-28-2010, 08:49 AM
Brendan Smith (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NHL&id=2305)-D- Red Wings (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_news.aspx?sport=NHL&majteam=DET) May. 28 - 8:24 am et http://www.rotoworld.com/images/right_corner_player_news.gif http://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif http://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif http://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif http://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif
The Detroit Red Wings have signed Brendan Smith to a three-year/entry level contract.
Smith was the Red Wings first round selection, 27th overall, in the 2007 Entry Draft. Smith played the last three seasons for Wisconsin and led all defensemen in College Hockey with 15 goals and 52 points last season. "Brendan improved tremendously in each of his three seasons at Wisconsin," GM Ken Holland said. "He was a dominant player at the collegiate level, in particular at his position, and we feel he is ready to take the next step in his career at the professional level. We look forward to having him at training camp in Traverse City in September." Look for Smith to spend the 2010-11 season with Grand Rapids of the AHL.
Source: Detroit News (http://www.detnews.com/article/20100527/SPORTS0103/5270471/1128/sports0103/Wings-sign-Wisconsin-star-defenseman-Brendan-Smith)

I like the sound of this kid. There will obviously never be another Lids, but between Smith and Kindl, I'm confident that the D corps will continue to be strong for yrs to come, even after Lids and Raffi are gone. If either/both of these kids can be even half the player Lids is, I'll be ecstatic and the Wings should be positioned well on D for the inevitable future without Lids.

phaneuf6
05-28-2010, 01:28 PM
Smith is a great player. He was at St.Mikes and playing for the Buzzers when I got there and he was impressive. Should step into Rafalski's shoes easily.

chgorman
05-28-2010, 02:29 PM
Smith is a great player. He was at St.Mikes and playing for the Buzzers when I got there and he was impressive. Should step into Rafalski's shoes easily.

Nice, good to hear, thx Phaneuf. Kron should be a decent enough replacement for Lids, so if Smith can eventually step in for Raffi and Kindl or Ericsson can step into Kron's spot on the 2nd line with Stuart once Kron moves up to the top pair, then the D should be alright going forward.

MrScientist
06-01-2010, 10:18 AM
Lidstrom will be back next year, he is working on a one year extension right now, per MLive.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2010/06/source_captain_nicklas_lidstro.html

Holland reportedly wants to get him in the $6 million range, and Nick is the classy kind of guy who would do that for his team.

Chilly_Willy
06-01-2010, 10:58 AM
Sounds great, allows another year for the younger guys to continue development.

chgorman
06-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Great news! I figured he'd be back based on a few factors and few hints dropped by those in the org, but nice to see that it's close to being confirmed anyway. Wings should be pretty deep on D next yr, even if they let go of Lebda and Meech.

Lids/Raffi
Kron/Stuart
Ericsson/Lilja (I assume he'll be resigned)
Kindl

Janik/Tollefson/Smith being first call-ups as necessary

Doesn't look too bad to me. Interested to see what Kindl can do if he can get some regular playing time.

MrScientist
06-01-2010, 01:11 PM
Great news! I figured he'd be back based on a few factors and few hints dropped by those in the org, but nice to see that it's close to being confirmed anyway. Wings should be pretty deep on D next yr, even if they let go of Lebda and Meech.

Lids/Raffi
Kron/Stuart
Ericsson/Lilja (I assume he'll be resigned)
Kindl

Janik/Tollefson/Smith being first call-ups as necessary

Doesn't look too bad to me. Interested to see what Kindl can do if he can get some regular playing time.

I don't think he'll be in Detroit unless he blows the team out of the water in camp...back to Holland's "overripe" prospect theory.

I would say resign Lilja, keep one of Lebda/Meech (preferably Lebda) for the 7th man, make Kindl the first call-up.

Chilly_Willy
06-01-2010, 01:13 PM
I'm also happy they stuck with Howard the whole playoff run. IMO most players have to see the loss before they know what it takes to win. Howard got some valuable playoff experience for sure. Things look good in their own end.

MrScientist
06-01-2010, 01:17 PM
I'm also happy they stuck with Howard the whole playoff run. IMO most players have to see the loss before they know what it takes to win. Howard got some valuable playoff experience for sure. Things look good in their own end.

I think Ozzy will retire after this year provided he gets his 400 wins (at 396). At that point, I'd have to think maybe McCollum would be ready, or Holland will go for an experienced veteran backup ala Biron, Niittymaki, etc

Dubz
06-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Lidstrom will be back next year, he is working on a one year extension right now, per MLive.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2010/06/source_captain_nicklas_lidstro.html

Holland reportedly wants to get him in the $6 million range, and Nick is the classy kind of guy who would do that for his team.

Woot woot...locks up defence for one more year in my keeper;)

Chilly_Willy
06-01-2010, 01:24 PM
I'm really interested to see how McCollum Larson works out. I get the impression McCollum has more potential but Larson is more ready.

I think you are right, Ozzy will only play one last season to get 400 wins and play out his contract.

MrScientist
06-01-2010, 01:32 PM
I'm really interested to see how McCollum Larson works out. I get the impression McCollum has more potential but Larson is more ready.

I think you are right, Ozzy will only play one last season to get 400 wins and play out his contract.

Larsson went back to Sweden.

MrScientist
06-01-2010, 01:35 PM
Edit: MLive has the number at $6.2 million.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2010/06/red_wings_sign_captain_nicklas.html

Chilly_Willy
06-01-2010, 01:47 PM

Oh I didn't expect that because he was RFA. Its exciting, been so long since the wings had young promising goalies coming up in the big league.

chgorman
06-01-2010, 04:47 PM
I don't think he'll be in Detroit unless he blows the team out of the water in camp...back to Holland's "overripe" prospect theory.

I would say resign Lilja, keep one of Lebda/Meech (preferably Lebda) for the 7th man, make Kindl the first call-up.

From George Malik, Mlive.com blog, May 10th:

5. Jakub Kindl: Earning nearly $900,000, he's on the roster for good, and the Wings believe that he can slowly but surely become a non-physical version of Jiri Fisher in terms of his ability to skate, move the puck up the ice, and run a power play. He'll probably spend his rookie season as the Wings' seventh defenseman.

I'm not saying everything George says is gospel, but I've heard similar sentiments from other sources as well. Kindl has already been in GR for 3 full seasons, is out of minor league options, has been a Black Ace for at leas the past 2 seasons, and didn't look any worse than Ericsson or Lilja in the 3 gms he played in thsi past season. If he's not ready to be the 7th D, he's damn close.

You may be right, he may not start as the 7th D, but at worst he'll be the 1st call up, likely the 7th by the end of the season. I believe they have to pay him his NHL salary even if he's playing in GR, and it doesn't really make sense to do that, so might as well have him learning and developing with the big club if they're gonna pay him a full NHL salary.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him start the season as the 7th D.

Yeah, Larsson is gone and from the sounds of it, isn't coming back, or if he does, it'll be with a different team.

Chilly_Willy
06-02-2010, 09:03 AM
From George Malik, Mlive.com blog, May 10th:

5. Jakub Kindl: Earning nearly $900,000, he's on the roster for good, and the Wings believe that he can slowly but surely become a non-physical version of Jiri Fisher in terms of his ability to skate, move the puck up the ice, and run a power play. He'll probably spend his rookie season as the Wings' seventh defenseman.

I think about Jiri Fisher from time to time. That really sucked, he was just starting to make his mark on the team too. Its actually pretty amazing that the wings won cups after loosing Konstantinov and then Fisher to career ending injuries. I think it says a ton about how good Lidstrom and the wings scouting and development is, as if any more needs to be said.

MrScientist
06-02-2010, 09:08 AM
Yeah, Larsson is gone and from the sounds of it, isn't coming back, or if he does, it'll be with a different team.

I'm not sure, he was just quoted as saying that two years in the AHL was "enough." This could be better for his development...and if the Wings give him a qualifying offer, they'll retain his rights.

chgorman
06-02-2010, 10:42 AM
I'm not sure, he was just quoted as saying that two years in the AHL was "enough." This could be better for his development...and if the Wings give him a qualifying offer, they'll retain his rights.

You're right, my bad. I read that on mlive last night, that they still retain his rights as a RFA if he comes back to the NHL. Was just coming to post that and apologize for spreading misinformation earlier about him coming back with anther team if he comes back, but you beat me to it, haha. thx for the clarification.

MrScientist
06-02-2010, 11:50 AM
You're right, my bad. I read that on mlive last night, that they still retain his rights as a RFA if he comes back to the NHL. Was just coming to post that and apologize for spreading misinformation earlier about him coming back with anther team if he comes back, but you beat me to it, haha. thx for the clarification.

Haha no worries man. Most often players go over there and come back with someone else. Personally, I never thought Larsson would crack the big club, but who knows.

Cornholio
06-04-2010, 08:24 AM
Holmer signs 2 years, 1,875 M $ / year.

MrScientist
06-04-2010, 08:38 AM

Not bad...it's a discount

chgorman
06-04-2010, 08:41 AM

good news, glad to see Homer back at a decent price. Probably one of the cheapest vets in the league who is a lock for 20-25 goals assuming he plays at least 60 gms. My only worry with him is injuries, but as long as he can stay healthy, nobody in the league is better at getting in the opposing goalie's kitchen and causing a ruckus.

Also, unrelated, but Mr. Hockey is now Dr. Hockey :lol:

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2010/05/red_wings_legend_gordie_howe_h.html

Chilly_Willy
06-04-2010, 10:49 AM
Wow 2 years, all around the league a collective sigh from the goal tending camp.

I half expected him to retire, but he did show this season he can still play at a high level.

MrScientist
06-04-2010, 01:30 PM
Also in that article: Meech is the only RFA who isn't a for sure re-sign, Lebda and Williams are gone, Lilja and Maltby are uncertain, Bertuzzi has indicated he'd like to stay.

Chilly_Willy
06-04-2010, 04:36 PM
I hope Maltby decides to move on

MrScientist
06-05-2010, 08:10 AM
I hope Maltby decides to move on

I'd rather Draper did...as long as one of them does I'll be fine, but we have a ton of Draper clones in the system. Helm, Ritola, etc...

Chilly_Willy
06-05-2010, 10:41 AM
Yeah I'd like to see both of them get to play ass long as they like but they are not getting any younger or faster. Maybe their veteran presence helps in the bottom 6 but its probably time for the wings to get some younger guys developing there.

phaneuf6
06-05-2010, 03:11 PM
Surprised to see Holmer back for 2 more years. I thought he only had 1 more in him. There's a serious changing of the guard in Detroit coming in 2 years. Draper, Maltby, Lidstrom, Holmstrom, Osgood, etc all going to be gone. The Wings have done a great job in slowly transferring the leadership and responsibility over to the younger guys over the last few years though so the impact of those guys leaving, while it won't be unnoticeable, will be smaller than it could have been.

Kyle
06-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Holmer has really played his best hockey the last 5 seasons, he can definitely put up 20 goals two more times IMO. His health is the biggest concern and I can't imagine playing his game at his age but hes extremely well coniditioned and has a good chance at being productive the next two years.

And I agree with your post overall, I think the Wings have the tools in place to consider the playoff streak safe for 6-7 more years until Zetterberg and Datsyuk get well past their primes, and who knows who might emerge in our system in that time.

Chilly_Willy
06-10-2010, 08:53 AM
This may have already been discussed at length, if so sorry I missed it, but who takes the fall on letting Leino go? The guy is a playoff beast. I know his regular season numbers were not all that great but weren't they playing him third line mostly. Also they kept sending him down to the AHL that had to sour relations a bit. Imagine this guy with Franzen and Zetts, he hits, takes a hit to make a play, drives the net, fore checks and back checks. This guy was sent to the AHL while guys like McCarty, Draper, Maltby were on the roster. Very unlike the wings to miss the scouting like this.

Maybe the trade changed Lieno, or because the fliers were able to immediately make him a top 6 forward.

MrScientist
06-10-2010, 08:55 AM
He did jack shit for Philly in the regular season too, and only came in because Carter and Gagne were hurt. He was a cap casualty so we could bring Lilja back.

I don't really blame anyone, Leino didn't want to earn his top 6 time by playing the third line role. He showed flashes of the talent but he was dogging it for a while.

Chilly_Willy
06-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Jason Williams has been notified he will not be re-signed.
http://www.detnews.com/article/20100609/SPORTS0103/6090429/1128/Jason-Williams-won-t-return-to-Wings

MrScientist
06-10-2010, 12:34 PM
Jason Williams has been notified he will not be re-signed.
http://www.detnews.com/article/20100609/SPORTS0103/6090429/1128/Jason-Williams-won-t-return-to-Wings

Old news, both he and Lebda won't be. But thanks for the link.

That article is full of formalities though. Bert has already said that it's Detroit or retirement and, like I said, Lebda won't be back. Lilja is up in the air though.

Here is the article with that information: http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2010/06/red_wings_tomas_holmstrom_clos.html

The Bert comment was from somewhere else but I'm quite sure it's legit.

two24four
06-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Leino looked like Zetts in the playoffs IMO, he played awesome.

Chilly_Willy
06-10-2010, 01:01 PM
Yeah I remember you guys saying Williams was gone, just news that makes it more officially official :)

Kyle
06-10-2010, 01:53 PM
He did jack shit for Philly in the regular season too, and only came in because Carter and Gagne were hurt. He was a cap casualty so we could bring Lilja back.

I don't really blame anyone, Leino didn't want to earn his top 6 time by playing the third line role. He showed flashes of the talent but he was dogging it for a while.

Yup, mentally Leino was never a part of the Red Wings.

Chilly_Willy
06-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Its too bad it didn't work out, its also hard to say Lieno would have ever done this for the wings. Sometimes players need new scenery.

Kyle
06-10-2010, 03:51 PM
Yeah I can almost guarentee Leino would never have even had the opportunity to do this, let alone work his way up to it. He got thrown into a top 6 roll and and happened to excell, Detroit would've never thrown him into it like that. He had done nothing in his career to actually earn the top 6 spot, it was luck and he just worked his ass off when he made it there.

a0102030405
06-10-2010, 04:54 PM
damn you Leino. Had he played like this, the DRW would not need to worry about secondary scoring (with him, Franzen, and Huds). Now it's still an issue, like last year.

Chilly_Willy
06-10-2010, 07:48 PM
Yeah he looked like someone that needed to be thrown in the mix wrecklessly to flourish. Didn't know what to do in the Red Wings wait 5-6 years system. Howwever I'll take the last several cups over running the team recklessly. It just sure is a shame seeing what he can do and saying damb they coulda used that. :)

Dubz
06-10-2010, 08:10 PM
Im pretty sure they gave up during Leinos rehab...Im pretty sure he was in an accident or something and he rehabbed way to slow for a pro player....but he isnt/wasnt a pro player just yet. I think they fuuukd up but my opinion dosnt matter. Because they got jack diddly squat for him thats got to be a key factor.

Anyhow....I guess the Wings should be super excited to actualy bring a goalie up through the system...I would have to look up the last one they were able to do that with. Congrats

MrScientist
06-10-2010, 08:17 PM
Im pretty sure they gave up during Leinos rehab...Im pretty sure he was in an accident or something and he rehabbed way to slow for a pro player

No idea what you're thinking of here.

Dubz
06-10-2010, 08:25 PM
Maybe im confusing him with Konstantinov or something? Sorry my bad

eykwingnut
06-10-2010, 09:43 PM
I think he's thinking of Igor Grigorenko.

http://www.redwingscentral.com/prospects/grigorenko.php

Kyle
06-10-2010, 11:38 PM
Maybe im confusing him with Konstantinov or something? Sorry my bad

Konstantinov crashed with Fetisov in 1997 following our first cup win and was severely disabled on the spot. Hes worked his ass off for the last 14 years to miraculously walk (with assistence) and talk (hes not all there but you'd be amazed how far hes come) but his pro career was over that night. Just FYI.

MrScientist
06-11-2010, 09:29 AM
Konstantinov crashed with Fetisov in 1997 following our first cup win and was severely disabled on the spot. Hes worked his ass off for the last 14 years to miraculously walk (with assistence) and talk (hes not all there but you'd be amazed how far hes come) but his pro career was over that night. Just FYI.

Yeah, he definitely meant Grigorenko...the story seemed familiar but I couldn't remember his name.

Chilly_Willy
06-11-2010, 09:33 AM
I agree with you guys on Leino. The wings were not a good fit for him at that stage of his pro career. It just hard to think about, I can't remember a move the wings made that didn't work out since drafting Keith Primeau who ironically ended up in the same jersey.

MrScientist
06-11-2010, 09:41 AM
I agree with you guys on Leino. The wings were not a good fit for him at that stage of his pro career. It just hard to think about, I can't remember a move the wings made that didn't work out since drafting Keith Primeau who ironically ended up in the same jersey.

Well, Brunnstrom chose the Stars over the Wings but he hasn't really done anything yet.

Dubz
06-11-2010, 10:22 AM
Yeah, he definitely meant Grigorenko...the story seemed familiar but I couldn't remember his name.

I drafted them both in one of my leagues...hence the confusion (plus a couple of these:beer:) I still think they didnt like the way Leino rehabbed....but of course maybe im still just mixing the facts together. :dunce:

MrScientist
06-11-2010, 10:31 AM
I drafted them both in one of my leagues...hence the confusion (plus a couple of these:beer:) I still think they didnt like the way Leino rehabbed....but of course maybe im still just mixing the facts together. :dunce:

Yeah to my knowledge Leino has never been seriously injured in North America.

Dubz
06-11-2010, 11:06 AM
Well im not so sure Leino wasnt lazy.....theres nothing on his profile about getting injured tho

Not sure if you guys posted this article about the offers to lots of personnel.

http://www.freep.com/article/20100608/SPORTS05/6080377/1053/sports05/Wings-Holland-and-Nill-expected-to-get-extensions

MrScientist
06-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Well im not so sure Leino wasnt lazy.....theres nothing on his profile about getting injured tho

Not sure if you guys posted this article about the offers to lots of personnel.

http://www.freep.com/article/20100608/SPORTS05/6080377/1053/sports05/Wings-Holland-and-Nill-expected-to-get-extensions

Most of us in here have mentioned his laziness, yes.

And to that article - fuck Meech.

Chilly_Willy
06-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Wow 27 years. Ken Holland has been GM of the wings since before a lot of HI members were born LOL.

MrScientist
06-11-2010, 11:36 AM
Wow 27 years. Ken Holland has been GM of the wings since before a lot of HI members were born LOL.

He's been with the team for 27 years but he's only been GM since I believe 97.

Chilly_Willy
06-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Yeah I thought that statistic was strange because I didn't remember him getting credit for the Russian 5 that was all Brian Murray if I remember right.

Zangetsu
06-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Twenty-eight years ago, Holland was the goalie of the AHL South Division champs. Go Whalers!!!

chgorman
06-11-2010, 12:14 PM
I watched upwards of 60-70 regular season Red Wings games this year, and despite being given ample opportunity to prove his worth, Leino did absolutely NOTHING to prove any sort of negligible worth to the team. Just like Kyle said, nobody - Leino included - just gets randomly thrown onto one of the top 2 lines on the Wings without earning it. You have to work for it, show you deserve it, show you can handle it, etc. With the spate of injuries early in the season, Leino had ample opportunity to prove that he could help fill the void and be a productive player for the Wings. What did he do? He disappeared. Instead of stepping up to fill the void, prove his worth and show that he deserved to be on the team, on one of the top two lines, getting lots of icetime, he let lesser skilled players - guys like Miller, Eaves, etc - pass him on the depth chart and get more icetime while he ended up being a healthy scratch most nights. It was very disappointing because I had high hopes for the guy, but the bottom line is nobody in the org is going to 'take the fall' for trading him away 'cuz it was his own fault, brought it upon himself.

Good on him that he's now doing so well with PHI. But aside from the sick goal he scored while with DET a couple seasons ago vs. WSH in his 1st career NHL gm, this is what I'll remember most about Leino in a wings uni - YouTube- Daniel Paille destroys Ville Leino

Cornholio
06-13-2010, 07:43 AM
He had the chance, but even with the injured guys being out, Leino ended up the healthy scratch...

chgorman
06-16-2010, 09:42 PM
Bert back for 2 yrs, $3.875mil

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=324855

Chilly_Willy
06-17-2010, 08:52 AM
Seems like a good signing, not dirt cheap but respectable cap management.

chgorman
06-17-2010, 09:03 AM
Seems like a good signing, not dirt cheap but respectable cap management.

If he can avg .6-.7 ppg in the reg season (slight upgrade from his scoring rate this past season), and carry over his playoff scoring pace from these past playoffs for upcoming playoffs (almost ppg pace), I'll be very happy with this deal. Not very often that you can get a top 6 forward under contract for less than $2mill/yr these days, let alone for 3 consecutive yrs (last yr + the 2 yrs on his new contract). no guarantee that he plays top 6 next yr, with Huds back and all, but even if he doesn't, he'll still provide a solid offensive prescence from the 3rd line and will be a great 2nd line injury replacement. Pretty happy with this deal.

Cornholio
06-17-2010, 11:28 AM
I pretty much agree, good signing for the Wings!

Kyle
06-17-2010, 03:23 PM
I was the one always saying I wanted to see Bert back. I thought he truly woke up with the Wings last year. The price isn't exciting but not upsetting either. Good deal.

How about Filpullas older brother? Was top 10 in sweedish elite scoring this year and won the Jari Kurri award for top performer in the playoffs on his way to the championship. Sounds like a winner. What do you guys predict his chances of making our starting lineup are? Honestly I think if he has a good camp he could be on our starting roster as early as the first game of the season, if only on the 4th line playing 7-8 minutes for starters. I could see him developing into a solid 40 point third liner before too long.

Cornholio
06-17-2010, 03:28 PM
Naah, I don't see him getting 40 points.
Maybe 25, I see him somewhere around Eaves this year.
Pretty much no special teams, 3rd of 4th line, kind of a grinder / power forward.
We'll see ;)