PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Red Wings Thread - Enough of us here

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Cornholio
01-13-2010, 01:44 AM
Without having watched the game, the Isles matched the players perfectly!!
Lidtröm & Rafalski with +/- 0 (Helm as well), Meech -5, Stuart -3...

MrScientist
01-13-2010, 07:27 AM
I didn't watch the game either, but I'm not too concerned as long as this is an anomaly. Shitty Canes team is coming in tomorrow, and the Isles have been pretty hot as of late.

chgorman
01-13-2010, 09:12 AM
I watched all of it except for about 5mins to start the 2nd period when I was making dinner. It was basically a terrible effort by everyone involved except for Jimmy H. He can't be faulted at all, he was completely hung out to dry on all 3 goals against. He didn't deserve to be pulled but I think Babs saw the way the game was going, realized it was gonna be 'one of those games' where the team in front of him just flat out doesn't come to play (which has been happening WAY too often this season) and pulled Jimmy for his own good, not because he was playing badly. Oz on the other hand... probably shoulda had a couple of the goals he let in. Granted he got tossed in mid-game with the team in front of him playing terribly, but he did basically nothing to earn any starts going forward, and actually kinda looked a little uncomfortable in there IMO.

Regardless, I agree with bolts, probably just an anomaly, a result of being tired from the road trip they just finished off where they had some really tough opponernts. I anticipate (or hope, at least) that they'll come out absolutely flying against CAR tomorrow.

Hockeyis#1
01-13-2010, 10:07 AM
Losing to both the Canes and Isles in consecutive games will really hurt the momentum of the Wings and probably depress the hell out of the team and especially Jimmy H.

MrScientist
01-13-2010, 12:35 PM
Give the Isles some credit, they aren't a terrible team, and as I've said they've been hot and scoring lately. The Canes on the other hand, yes that would be bad.

Kyle
01-13-2010, 12:36 PM
which has been happening WAY too often this season

And last year's playoffs. I have not seen the Red Wings I know since the 7 game beatdown Anahiem gave us (Even though we barely squeeked by we got our asses whooped). Just haven't ever looked the same. We stomped the Blackhawks but they played fairly weak and beat themselves. I never liked our effort vs the Pens.

Cornholio
01-13-2010, 01:20 PM
I don't expect too much against the Canes, they've been playing very well lately!!

eykwingnut
01-13-2010, 10:45 PM
I don't miss a second of a wings game usually, but last night I had to shut it off after 2 periods...

a0102030405
01-14-2010, 11:41 AM
Ericsson back tonight, Janik sent down.

If Detroit doesn't win tonight, I punch my rabbit.

Cornholio
01-14-2010, 01:13 PM
... howard starts his 10th straight game.
and kronwall's status isn't getting any better, according to mlive.com

MrScientist
01-14-2010, 02:16 PM
Look out world, now our defense is getting healthy. Also, Janik wasn't too bad. Third, fuck Meech.

Cornholio
01-14-2010, 03:48 PM
they should have kept janik and sent meech down!

MrScientist
01-14-2010, 04:48 PM
they should have kept janik and sent meech down!

No kidding...I've hated Meech for a while though. He's a poor man's Lebda, and Lebda is at best a 3rd pairing D-man.

a0102030405
01-14-2010, 06:15 PM
No kidding...I've hated Meech for a while though. He's a poor man's Lebda, and Lebda is at best a 3rd pairing D-man.

I think Ledba is a poor man's Ledba. Detroit should just go with 5D and sent Meech and Ledba down :O

Kyle
01-15-2010, 02:13 AM
Good win tonight. Helm was unreal again despite no points.

Motorcat
01-15-2010, 07:44 AM
Our D-men stunk up the joint last night, stupid penalties, outsmarted and no discipline.

chgorman
01-15-2010, 10:00 AM
Good win tonight. Helm was unreal again despite no points.

Filp and Bert looked great last night too. That pass Bert threaded to Zetts for the 3rd goal was sick, and Filp had som sick moves goin' on. Dangled the shit out of one of the CAR D on one play deep in their zone. Didn't lead to goal unfortunately, but did create a solid chance. Other than the fat rebound he handed to Kostopoulos for the lone CAR goal, Jimmy was very solid too. Nice to see Zetts pot his first since coming back from injury. Definitely a MUCH MUCH MUCH better effort tonight from the entire team than that pitiful showing on Tues @ NYI.

How do you guys feel about Miller on the 2nd line? He had a solid game last night, but I don't feel like he fits. I feel like someone like Abdelkader would fit better on the 2nd line, but maybe that's just me. Sure can't wait to get Franzen and/or Homer back. I just think Miller is better on the 3rd line. I feel like a 3rd line of Eaves/Helm/Miller would be damn solid.

MrScientist
01-15-2010, 10:20 AM
Neither Miller nor Abdelkader has much offensive upside, Miller less so. Anyone would have scored his goal last night, lol.

I'd much more like to see Leino in that spot, but he's dug his own grave by sucking a fat dick all season. Once Franzen/Holmstrom are back, I'd look for Abs to head back to Grand Rapids, Leino will be the regular offensive scratch, and Miller will stay on as a checker because he does it so well.

Cornholio
01-15-2010, 11:05 AM
Miller will be #2 to be sent down for sure, when Franzen and Holmer are back.
So far I really like him on the 2nd line, but I haven't seen the whole game.
Maybe Helm?? But he has played great in "his" third line, no reason tearing them apart.
I'd love to see Leino, but as you guys said, he can't even do anything good with all the injuries...

MrScientist
01-15-2010, 12:21 PM
Miller probably won't make it through waivers. Tampa was only sending him to the AHL because they needed an offensive spark on the lower lines - no one planned on losing him

Cornholio
01-16-2010, 07:25 AM
good point, didn't think about that!
well, then just keep him in the major team of course, he's doing very well!!

Kyle
01-16-2010, 04:45 PM
HOW THE FUCK WAS THAT A GOAL IN THE SHOOTOUT AGAINST DALLAS

HOLY FUCKING SHIT this is the most angry I've ever been watching sports in my entire life. That was the single most ridiculous, assanine, and boneheaded reverse calls I've ever seen and it cost us the shootout.

It wasn't even CLOSE, hardly 1/10th of the puck crossed the line and the replay showed the puck had NO more forward momentum. The referee even drove the net to get a perfect front row angle as the puck danced on the goalline and IMMEDIATELY and confidently ruled no goal when Howard finally pushed it out. No less than 5 different replay angles showed no conclusive evidence that the puck crossed the line. Fucking silly.

If it was ruled a goal and wasn't overturned, I would SOMEWHAT understand it. But to overturn the no goal call when there is nothing even somewhat resembling conclusive evidence proving it?

So that makes 2 consecutive games in Dallas where we have been completely fucked sideways by the refs. That was the worst call I've ever seen in sports in my entire life and thats not an overreaction, this was just fucking sick.

Spartan
01-16-2010, 04:49 PM
I am clueless on that one. I could not find the Dallas feed but none of the Detroit angles had a shot of the puck over the line. Bullshit call.

chgorman
01-16-2010, 05:07 PM
How can there be CONCLUSIVE evidence to overturn the call, when it took them 5 minutes to figure it out? If it was conclusive, it was conclusive form the start, and they should've seen it after a minute of reviewing the replays, not taking 5 mins to rule on it.

If it takes them 5 mins to find conclusive evidence, it couldn't be very conclusive, and thus the call should never have been overturned. BS.

Completely agree with you Kyle.

What is up with the refs being idiots whenever the Wings play DAL with Auld in net? That's twice now that the refs have completely blown the game for the Wings with asinine calls. The BS no-goal call earlier in the season was vs. DAL with Auld in net too.

boredguy
01-16-2010, 05:21 PM
Horrible video quality but here's the goal:

YouTube- Steve Ott Phantom Goal

Gotta agree after seeing that, no way that shoulda been called a goal. Howard's fat head blocks the view on the overhead shot which probably woulda been the best view but the other angles should be good enough to call that no goal.

chgorman
01-16-2010, 06:13 PM
Most recent update I can find:

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2010/01/running_joke.html

If that's true, that the fucking linesmen overuled the REF's call (who was right at the goalline), then that's fucked.

alias
01-16-2010, 06:48 PM
wow thats close....best angle is probably at 1:24 of boredguy's video....if you pause just before howard's glove goes down it looks like the puck *might* be partially over the line but that is far from conclusive unless Toronto was able to zoom in on that and clearly see it was over the line. IMO it's no goal.

Dubz
01-16-2010, 07:42 PM
The best part is at 1:50 where they draw an arrow from the refs face about three feet from the puck.....He looking right at it and waived it. Well at least the heat is off the PIT guys now:lol:

alias
01-16-2010, 07:51 PM
I bet I know what Toronto thought. The puck looked like it was wobbling, so they probably paused it & zoomed in at a point where it appeared there was white ice between the puck & redline when there wasn't

edit: ah because the linesman called it a goal Toronto had to have conclusive evidence that it wasn't a goal.

MrScientist
01-16-2010, 11:24 PM
I remember a play where (Rinne?)'s glove was all the way in the net after he caught the puck, but they ruled it no goal for lack of evidence. Don't remember the opponent... I don't care if they suck, just do something CONSISTENT

a0102030405
01-16-2010, 11:29 PM
the NHL is becoming much more like the NBA/MLB in terms of garbage and inconsistent officiating.

A bump for the NFL style challenge system, anyone? Fuck even Tennis is ahead of the times.

MrScientist
01-16-2010, 11:31 PM
the NHL is becoming much more like the NBA/MLB in terms of garbage and inconsistent officiating.

A bump for the NFL style challenge system, anyone? Fuck even Tennis is ahead of the times.

Dunno about challenges. It's not like they aren't reviewing these plays, they just can't get it right.

a0102030405
01-16-2010, 11:37 PM
Dunno about challenges. It's not like they aren't reviewing these plays, they just can't get it right.

which is where the challenges (maybe 2? 3?) come in, it would take some of the dependence off the refs, who have proven that they suck huge donkey balls.

MrScientist
01-16-2010, 11:42 PM
which is where the challenges (maybe 2? 3?) come in, it would take some of the dependence off the refs, who have proven that they suck huge donkey balls.

Right, but would the War Room have the ability to completely overturn a ref on a challenge, even with the intent to blow thing? That seems to be the sticking point, they can't pass down a call because of some ref technicality on the ice.

a0102030405
01-16-2010, 11:47 PM
Right, but would the War Room have the ability to completely overturn a ref on a challenge, even with the intent to blow thing? That seems to be the sticking point, they can't pass down a call because of some ref technicality on the ice.

the ref makes the call, the team can challenge if they want, the ref/war room checks then decide if the original call stands or reserve it.

-1 time out if wrong, if right it stays the same. # of time outs would have to be increased though, or divide up the time or something.

MrScientist
01-16-2010, 11:54 PM
the ref makes the call, the team can challenge if they want, the ref/war room checks then decide if the original call stands or reserve it.

-1 time out if wrong, if right it stays the same. # of time outs would have to be increased though, or divide up the time or something.

Two challenges per game. If you lose the first challenge, you lose your timeout. No penalty for winning it. If you lose the second, delay of game penalty.

a0102030405
01-17-2010, 12:02 AM
Two challenges per game. If you lose the first challenge, you lose your timeout. No penalty for winning it. If you lose the second, delay of game penalty.

lol we gotta send this shit to Bettman. :lol:

MrScientist
01-17-2010, 12:03 AM
lol we gotta send this shit to Bettman. :lol:

Lol, anything is better than the horseshit they have now. Teams are getting screwed all over the place, and it has nothing to do with puck bunnies.

a0102030405
01-17-2010, 12:13 AM
Lol, anything is better than the horseshit they have now. Teams are getting screwed all over the place, and it has nothing to do with puck bunnies.

http://i48.tinypic.com/jhg7x2.jpg
/best league in the world, nothing is wrong with the officiating, we get 99% of the calls right 99% of the time.

sad thing is they won't try to make a change and worse they will just pretend like everything is ok. Even after the Auger situation.

chgorman
01-17-2010, 01:18 AM
I bet I know what Toronto thought. The puck looked like it was wobbling, so they probably paused it & zoomed in at a point where it appeared there was white ice between the puck & redline when there wasn't

edit: ah because the linesman called it a goal Toronto had to have conclusive evidence that it wasn't a goal.

If that's true then that's effing BS too!! Since when does the linesman have authority to overule the ref, let alone the ref who standing right there? Unbelieveable :rolleyes:

Rocklobster
01-17-2010, 10:40 AM
http://i48.tinypic.com/jhg7x2.jpg
/best league in the world, nothing is wrong with the officiating, we get 99% of the calls right 99% of the time.

sad thing is they won't try to make a change and worse they will just pretend like everything is ok. Even after the Auger situation.
lol bettman looks like pee wee herman... let me find a pic.

http://coacheshotseat.com/coacheshotseatblog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/PeeWeeHerman.jpg

yup separated at birth.

MrScientist
01-17-2010, 12:37 PM
Howard getting both games of the B2B, wow!

Kyle
01-17-2010, 12:44 PM
lol bettman looks like pee wee herman... let me find a pic.

http://coacheshotseat.com/coacheshotseatblog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/PeeWeeHerman.jpg

yup separated at birth.

Fuck that, more like seperated in the womb. They're twins!!

boredguy
01-17-2010, 01:16 PM

Unless you think not reviewing every goal/non-goal that is close because you only get 2 challenges is better then reviewing every one that is close a challenge system like you describe would be a step down. They already review pretty much everything, the problem here was they got the review call wrong. A challenge system in no way would change that.

MrScientist
01-17-2010, 01:21 PM
Unless you think not reviewing every goal/non-goal that is close because you only get 2 challenges is better then reviewing every one that is close a challenge system like you describe would be a step down. They already review pretty much everything, the problem here was they got the review call wrong. A challenge system in no way would change that.

Which was my original point, it's not like they aren't reviewing the plays, they just fuck it up

nyrblue2
01-17-2010, 04:48 PM
How about Datsyuk's move in the shootout? Awesome.

Kyle
01-17-2010, 05:06 PM
And then Berts? Two really slick shots. Howard was pissed to lose.

Dubz
01-17-2010, 06:42 PM
I havent seen it but was told today there is video evidence of that puck entirely across the line. I havent seen it and obviously have my doubts which is why im digging here. Im still sure it wasnt a goal and would like to see this so called proof.

Hockeyis#1
01-17-2010, 08:34 PM
And then Berts? Two really slick shots. Howard was pissed to lose.
He should be, I really thought for the most part (granted I switched back and forth between MIN/DAL and the Wings game for a while) that the Wings played a very solid game and hustled and out-worked the Hawks through many portions of that game.

MrScientist
01-17-2010, 09:39 PM
YouTube- Datsyuk shootout goal vs Blackhawks + Bertuzzi spin-o-rama 1/17/10

Cornholio
01-18-2010, 12:46 PM
Highlght goals, and I'm glad about one point against the Hawks.
Still pissed about the Stars thing though...

bretthullfan
01-18-2010, 08:28 PM
^ I was rooting for the Stars... but it's beyond me why that was called a goal... did the NHL issue a statement for their stupidity yet?

Hockeyis#1
01-19-2010, 09:16 PM
http://upnextinsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/129012991693111545.jpg

MrScientist
01-19-2010, 09:26 PM
Been a long, long time since I've seen the Wings piss a game away like that.

Zangetsu
01-19-2010, 10:13 PM
I know it's not 2pts., but the Wings did accomplish something pretty remarkable. They held OV shotless for the first time since October of 2007.

canuckthug
01-19-2010, 10:22 PM
Been a long, long time since I've seen the Wings piss a game away like that.

They doubled the Caps in shots, 46-23 (according to yahoo). How is that pissing away a game? I didnt watch the game but that stat tells me the Wings put in a better effort then Washington..

MrScientist
01-19-2010, 10:32 PM
They doubled the Caps in shots, 46-23 (according to yahoo). How is that pissing away a game? I didnt watch the game but that stat tells me the Wings put in a better effort then Washington..

They gave up the tying and winning goals within 46 seconds in the 3rd, and the second goal was incredibly weak on Ozzie and Stuart was beaten badly.

eykwingnut
01-19-2010, 10:34 PM
That's what he meant I believe. We totally dominated for the most part. Once again we can't find the back of the net. Babcock needs to sit Bertuzzi's sorry ass for a game in order to stop him from taking dumbass offensive zone penalties. The Wings won't miss him since anybody can MISS wide open chances from Datsyuk and Zetterberg passes.

canuckthug
01-19-2010, 10:39 PM
They gave up the tying and winning goals within 46 seconds in the 3rd, and the second goal was incredibly weak on Ozzie and Stuart was beaten badly.

Ahhh, i get it, take the lead into the 3rd period and come out with zero points pissing away.. One of those... If that Osgood goal was as bad as you say he could be grabbing bench for a long time.

canuckthug
01-19-2010, 10:43 PM
That's what he meant I believe. We totally dominated for the most part. Once again we can't find the back of the net. Babcock needs to sit Bertuzzi's sorry ass for a game in order to stop him from taking dumbass offensive zone penalties. The Wings won't miss him since anybody can MISS wide open chances from Datsyuk and Zetterberg passes.

Bertuzzi is infamous for taking penalties like that. Hes a door knob. A caveman. I think during the 06 Olympics he took a penalty late in the 3rd against Russia (in the offensive zone) which pretty much sealed up a 1-0 win for the Russians.

a0102030405
01-19-2010, 10:56 PM
Bert pretty much ruined it.

I'm beginning to lose faith that Zetterberg and Datsyuk will turn it around. Franzen just can't get bck soon enough.

Hockeyis#1
01-20-2010, 12:58 AM
Bertuzzi is infamous for taking penalties like that. Hes a door knob. A caveman. I think during the 06 Olympics he took a penalty late in the 3rd against Russia (in the offensive zone) which pretty much sealed up a 1-0 win for the Russians.
yeah well he's saved the Wings bacon in a few games with late game goals. So I'm fine with letting it slide

Kyle
01-20-2010, 04:38 AM
WTF? Bertuzzi has been a Godsend to us all year, you guys are off your rockers. We are not even contending for a playoff spot without him on our roster, thats a fact. Show some appreciation and be thankful hes blessed this offensively challenged season with some sick moves throughout the year.

Yeah he can tone down the bonehead penalties but get the fuck out of here with the "he misses so many of dats and berts plays" bullshit. You can't name me 10 players in the league who can skate and keep on the same page as those two in terms of figuring out where they're going with a play and where you need to be.They're two of the most technical and complicated players in the NHL and Bert's done a good job not only putting in some great goals, but actually following their plays and playing a productive part instead of just picking a spot on the boards and hoping he might get a chance to play the puck. Hes been as hard a worker as anybody on our roster all year and until we get Franzen hes the only one who can really bully people around and hes responded by doing exactly that regularly. Hes scored lots of goals this year just playing the stronger body.

Bert needs to control the penalties but outside that, you're insane if you're unhappy with him overall.

Give the man a break, hes given us tons.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
01-20-2010, 05:47 AM
http://upnextinsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/129012991693111545.jpg

ha ha ha. Old Pens joke. Glad you guys took him off our hands last year. :beer:

Anyway, Haven't hopped into this thread in a long time. Wtf is going on over here boys? Injuries? Goaltending? My first two guesses... but I own Howard in a pts league and I thought he has been pretty solid. I honestly haven't been paying a whole lot of attention to the Wings but I gotta say I am kinda surprised, in a sense, to see them struggling for an 8th place seed. Gotta figure they pull it out in the end and sneak into the post season but chances for a deep playoff run can't be very good at this point, can they ?

a0102030405
01-20-2010, 09:46 AM

Anyway, Haven't hopped into this thread in a long time. Wtf is going on over here boys? Injuries? Goaltending? My first two guesses... but I own Howard in a pts league and I thought he has been pretty solid. I honestly haven't been paying a whole lot of attention to the Wings but I gotta say I am kinda surprised, in a sense, to see them struggling for an 8th place seed. Gotta figure they pull it out in the end and sneak into the post season but chances for a deep playoff run can't be very good at this point, can they ?

1. injuries.
2. something wrong with the zetterberg and datsyuk chemistry, usually babcock could simply drop zetterberg to the 2nd line and instant chemistry with franzen like the last 2 playoffs, but well he's injured :\

chicagohockey
01-20-2010, 11:37 AM
I'm kind of suprised they didn't sign some aging Vets to make up for the injuries half way through the season. Getting Satan cheap before Boston or trying for Shanny since he was retiring.

eykwingnut
01-20-2010, 11:44 AM
WTF? Bertuzzi has been a Godsend to us all year, you guys are off your rockers. We are not even contending for a playoff spot without him on our roster, thats a fact. Show some appreciation and be thankful hes blessed this offensively challenged season with some sick moves throughout the year.

Yeah he can tone down the bonehead penalties but get the fuck out of here with the "he misses so many of dats and berts plays" bullshit. You can't name me 10 players in the league who can skate and keep on the same page as those two in terms of figuring out where they're going with a play and where you need to be.They're two of the most technical and complicated players in the NHL and Bert's done a good job not only putting in some great goals, but actually following their plays and playing a productive part instead of just picking a spot on the boards and hoping he might get a chance to play the puck. Hes been as hard a worker as anybody on our roster all year and until we get Franzen hes the only one who can really bully people around and hes responded by doing exactly that regularly. Hes scored lots of goals this year just playing the stronger body.

Bert needs to control the penalties but outside that, you're insane if you're unhappy with him overall.

Give the man a break, hes given us tons.
Are you telling me that Bertuzzi can do things on a line with Datsyuk and Zetterberg that not even 10 people in the league can do? He had a tiny streak of a couple games (which SHOULD be carried over the entire season when you are playing on a line with those two) and you're making it sound like he's a match made in heaven. The guy is consistently spoon fed goals which he either PASSES, or can't find the back of the net on. Also, he rarely hustles when back-checking (the reason he consistently takes lazy offensive zone penalties). You say he's done a good job with those two, but why not at least give somebody ELSE a CHANCE with those two. I'd hate to break up Eaves' line since it's been such a good energy line, but I'd like to see Eaves on the top line line since all I've been hearing about him from Ken and Mickey is how awesome his shot is. All I know is that Babcock needs to sit Bertuzzi's ass for a game for his bonehead penalties, PERIOD.

eykwingnut
01-20-2010, 11:46 AM
I'm kind of suprised they didn't sign some aging Vets to make up for the injuries half way through the season. Getting Satan cheap before Boston or trying for Shanny since he was retiring.
They don't have any money.

eykwingnut
01-20-2010, 12:00 PM
regardless of what's happened the last 5 games or so, these next 5 are HUGE. Look at our upcoming schedule: MIN, LA, PHO, MIN, NASH. All western conference teams which are close to us in the standings. Now is the time for a winning streak...

MrScientist
01-20-2010, 12:18 PM
regardless of what's happened the last 5 games or so, these next 5 are HUGE. Look at our upcoming schedule: MIN, LA, PHO, MIN, NASH. All western conference teams which are close to us in the standings. Now is the time for a winning streak...

And I'm confident we'll see Howard in all five games now. Ozzy got an opportunity and squandered it.

chicagohockey
01-20-2010, 12:44 PM
And I'm confident we'll see Howard in all five games now. Ozzy got an opportunity and squandered it.

I think Ozzy will see time here. If you take out those 46 seconds where he gave up two goals he was solid against the best offensive team in the league, and the one on the PP you have to think could be avodied if Bertuzzi wasn't knucklehead for that tripping call.

If you want to give a guy a chance to boucne back do you really start him vs Washington unless your confident in him. Philly did the same thing with Emery his frist game back. To me that says your going to be the number one for at least the near future.

Kyle
01-20-2010, 01:10 PM

Howards been a top 5 goalie in the league as long as hes been in net. We've been just solid defensively and still almost lead the league in GAA thanks ENTIRELY to him. Hes just been amazing so goaltending is no excuse.

Amazes me that we let the Kings shoot 50 times on Howard but limit Ozzy to 20 shots against Washington. We need to give Howard better efforts.

To the last question, if we're healthy we have a solid chance, anything but healthy, and no, not likely.

MrScientist
01-20-2010, 01:13 PM
I think Ozzy will see time here. If you take out those 46 seconds where he gave up two goals he was solid against the best offensive team in the league, and the one on the PP you have to think could be avodied if Bertuzzi wasn't knucklehead for that tripping call.

If you want to give a guy a chance to boucne back do you really start him vs Washington unless your confident in him. Philly did the same thing with Emery his frist game back. To me that says your going to be the number one for at least the near future.

They gave him this game because it was the 3rd in 4 nights, and Howie played both games of the B2B, not to mention traveling to Washington. Didn't want to run Howie, the go to guy, ragged.

I will predict right now that unless Howard gets pulled mid-game, we will not see Osgood playing again until at least 1/29 against Nashville.

chgorman
01-20-2010, 03:20 PM

Probably a number of factors influenceing the struggles this season:

(no particular order)

large roster turnover - losing Hossa, Hudler, Sammy, Lilja (still with the team, but has missed the entire season), etc hurts, and replacing them with less skilled players and minor leaguers who may not quite be ready for full time duty is hard on a team. Familiarity/chemistry/cohesiveness is a big factor on successful teams, and it's hard to build that familiarity/chemistry right away with so much roster turnover when the team is healthy. Trying to do it with the multitude of injuries that have hit this team makes it even harder. Roster turnover hasn't been a problem in the past as DET has been one of the few teams who has been able to keep their team together for the most part aside from a few minor additions here and there. They've never really had to deal with the amt of roster turnover in past seasons as they have this yr. this is new terriotory and could be a reason why they struggled a bit out of the gate.

starting the season overseas - seems to be an issue for some teams and results in a slow start. Last yr's PIT team can speak to this. As can STL (and DET) this season. Not sure why this might be a factor, but I've heard it mentioned a few times in the media as a reason for why a few teams have started slow in the past since they started doing the Euro trip.

Injuries have been a huge factor - missing up to 10 regulars from the roster at any given time will hurt any team, let alone one with so many unfamiliar faces. tough to build chemistry when the guys you're supposed to be playing with are missing time. this also pushes the healthy guys into roles they may not be familiar with, 3rd/4th liners forced to play 2nd line. Guys who still need AHL development having to play 3rd/4th line. Shut down D-men having to take a more offensive role. When you lose your top pure sniper (Franzen), a 2nd pair Dman who would be a 1st pair D on any other team in the league (Kron), a key PP contributor and solid 2nd liner with offensive capabilities (J Willy) for significant periods of time, it's invariably going to hurt the team. Toss in guys like Homer, Zetts, Filp (all key offensive players) missing multiple weeks of time, that's A LOT of skill missing from the lineup for extended periods of time.

Inconsistent efforts have been a factor - been shut out 7 or so times this yr. Lose 6-0 to NYI with an absolutely pathetic effort last week then beat CAR, lose in shoot out to DAL on a ref error, lose to CHI in a shootout despite arguably outplaying them, lose to WSH yesterday despite dominating all but 46 secs of the game. If this team is going to be sucessful, they can't be taking nights off, regardless of the sched and travel fatigue. They need to be giving a consistently strong, 100% effort every game. That's not possible, as invariably there will be let-downs here and there, but they need to have the attitude that they need to give 110% every shift of every game. In the past, they could take shifts off and still win based on superior skill, but with so many injuries, and the resulting loss of talent via those injuries + FA departures, they just can't afford to give anything less.

Offensive underperformance has been an issue for a number of players... Leino has been a huge disappointment. He was supposed to help make up for the loss of Hudler/Sammy by providing some serious offence. He's done jack, and is a regular healthy scratch. Lids and Raffy have underperformed offensively. Zetts and Dats - although still incredibly dynamic - haven't been quite as good as they have been in recent seasons. Bert was producing jack squat early in the season. Helm creates TONS of offensive opportunities for himself, but can't seem to finish with any kind of consistency. All of these guys have done VERY good things for the team this season, but the bottom line is that they're not (or weren't) producing as well as is expected of them.

those are the main factors IMO. Hopefully they don't come off as excuses. It's def NOT goaltending. Goaltending was a factor when Oz was shitting the bed regularly early in the season, but since Jimmy H has taken over, the goaltending has been stellar, as Jimmy's numbers indicate.

Once this team is fully healthy (if ever, haha) and they have a few weeks to gel as a complete team, with guys playing their intended roles and whatnot, this team will be a force to be reckoned with IMO. Put it this way - I'd hate to be the team that has to face them in the first rd of the palyoffs if they can secure a playoff spot. they may not go deep, but they'll give any team they meet in the 1st rd everything they can handle and more, it's gonna be a battle no doubt. they're already playing much better recently than they were earlier in the season. Once they get a rested and rehabbed Franzen, Kronwall, Holmstrom and J Willy back, they'll be able to hang with any given team on any given night.

a0102030405
01-20-2010, 03:41 PM
Are you telling me that Bertuzzi can do things on a line with Datsyuk and Zetterberg that not even 10 people in the league can do? He had a tiny streak of a couple games (which SHOULD be carried over the entire season when you are playing on a line with those two) and you're making it sound like he's a match made in heaven. The guy is consistently spoon fed goals which he either PASSES, or can't find the back of the net on. Also, he rarely hustles when back-checking (the reason he consistently takes lazy offensive zone penalties). You say he's done a good job with those two, but why not at least give somebody ELSE a CHANCE with those two. I'd hate to break up Eaves' line since it's been such a good energy line, but I'd like to see Eaves on the top line line since all I've been hearing about him from Ken and Mickey is how awesome his shot is. All I know is that Babcock needs to sit Bertuzzi's ass for a game for his bonehead penalties, PERIOD.

agreed. I could have 30 points playing with datsyuk, zetterberg, lidstrom and rafalski.

Bert played maybe 30 games with those 4, before zetterberg was injuried and after.

But to Bert's credit, he did play extremely well when Detroit needed someone to step up when the team had like 11 guys injured for about 5-6 games, he seems to have dropped off since, and well before then, and on the whole has had a good defensive year thusfar.

Kyle
01-22-2010, 02:41 AM
Enough is fucking enough for these 3rd period temporary lapses we keep having. Fucking focus for 60 minutes. We almost lose an EASY 2 points tonight, lose an easy 2 against Washington, the focus we need for this last season push just isn't there consistently. The physical and mental toll of having to cover for others all year might be rearing its ugly head.

Hockeyis#1
01-22-2010, 09:49 AM
Being able to clear the front of the net helps. 2 of those goals were fluke bounces off a random Wild player infront that nobody felt the need to move.

a0102030405
01-22-2010, 10:17 AM
Kronwall back in a week or less, can;t find an English link though.

losing leads late in games is better then before right lol? At least now the wings have a lead to blow.

in 3 weeks (+2 weeks olympic break) the team will be healthy, and then they can start rolling.

Hockeyis#1
01-22-2010, 04:37 PM
Kronwall back in a week or less, can;t find an English link though.

losing leads late in games is better then before right lol? At least now the wings have a lead to blow.

in 3 weeks (+2 weeks olympic break) the team will be healthy, and then they can start rolling.
This assumes none of the 7(??) Olympian Red Wings get hurt at the games.

Cornholio
01-23-2010, 09:33 AM
shut up! :D

Dubz
01-23-2010, 01:04 PM
http://l.yimg.com/a/i/us/sp/fn/default/full/p_note.gif Wed, Jan 20
Osgood, who stopped 20 shots in Tuesday's loss to Washington, is unhappy with his recent lack of playing time, the Detroit Free Press reports.
Recommendation: "To me, that's not a good way of doing things, to let one guy get stagnant," Osgood said. "You have to have both guys going." He's made just 20 starts this season, compared to Jimmy Howard's 30. Osgood's start on Tuesday night was his first since Dec. 20, and it's currently unclear as to how the Wings plan to handle their goaltending situation come playoff time.
(Rotowire.com)

Osgood is stirring the pot now. :slap:

Looks like they are getting healthy as well. I think ive read Kronwall, Holmer and Franzen all due back soon.

MrScientist
01-23-2010, 01:05 PM
http://l.yimg.com/a/i/us/sp/fn/default/full/p_note.gif Wed, Jan 20
Osgood, who stopped 20 shots in Tuesday's loss to Washington, is unhappy with his recent lack of playing time, the Detroit Free Press reports.
Recommendation: "To me, that's not a good way of doing things, to let one guy get stagnant," Osgood said. "You have to have both guys going." He's made just 20 starts this season, compared to Jimmy Howard's 30. Osgood's start on Tuesday night was his first since Dec. 20, and it's currently unclear as to how the Wings plan to handle their goaltending situation come playoff time.
(Rotowire.com)

Osgood is stirring the pot now. :slap:

Looks like they are getting healthy as well. I think ive read Kronwall, Holmer and Franzen all due back soon.

Hmm...I am going to stand firm with this one:

I will predict right now that unless Howard gets pulled mid-game, we will not see Osgood playing again until at least 1/29 against Nashville.

Ozzie bitching about it won't get him in there any quicker. Howie's earned it.

eykwingnut
01-23-2010, 01:18 PM
Fuck Osgood. He's garbage. He's always benefited from a great team in front of him. Howard is playing great without that Hall of Fame team.

Kyle
01-23-2010, 02:11 PM
Fuck Osgood. He's garbage. He's always benefited from a great team in front of him. Howard is playing great without that Hall of Fame team.

Dude, he was our best player in the 08 cup run and our best player on the way to game 7 in 09. He was our best player IN game 7 of 09. Hes a fucking unappreciative baby for stirring the pot at the WORST possible time but lets not overexaggerate. Osgood is old, hes losing it, thats obvious. But hes played fucking fantastic his entire career without hall of fame teams half the time. Calling him garbage, thats just silly.

So its status quo, lets hate on Osgood until he bails us out in the playoffs and then sing his song, right?

Howard will not post a below 2 GAA and an above 9.3 save % in the playoffs like hes doing now. I will put any amount of money on that. 100% guarenteeing it. So quit acting like we have our answer and can kick Osgood to the curb. Far from it.

But on topic, poor, poor timing by Osgood who needs to realize hes gotta wake the fuck up durring the season because he can't drag his foot until the playoffs like he has in recent years. He needs to play that good now.

Kyle
01-23-2010, 09:45 PM
Wow, what a fucking embarassment. Blown 2 goal lead, 2 quick goals allowed again in the third, another third with no goals, MOTHERFUCKING GET IT TOGETHER GUYS, and to do this against our fucking hottest competiton for that 8th playoff spot, completely unexcusable and unacceptable. I don't even know if I want to see us in the playoffs this year. Holy fucking shit what a downer this is, COMPLETELY changes the picture. Out of all games, it had to be this one, and we had to give them the regualation win of all things when we had a 2-0 lead. So fucking frustrating.

Dubz
01-23-2010, 09:51 PM
Maybe they should be starting Osgood

:lol:

a0102030405
01-23-2010, 10:35 PM
horrible game. good 1st. that seems to be the theme the last week or so.

The positive news is that not only will Kronwall be back within a week, but Lilja is also supposed to return in a week. So no more Meech and ledba lol :)

edit: Holland says no to Lilja returning next week. Fucking Mick Redmond.

bretthullfan
01-23-2010, 10:45 PM
They could've easily had a couple more goals if Zetts finished his plays like he used to last year.

a0102030405
01-24-2010, 12:02 AM
agreed. I miss the old Zetterberg. Stupid Ohlund.

MrScientist
01-25-2010, 01:56 PM
Kronwall will play tomorrow, from Facebook, Twitter, etc

Cornholio
01-25-2010, 04:21 PM
Lilja might be back on the ice the next few days!!! 8-)

MrScientist
01-25-2010, 04:24 PM

No matter what, Meech can grab some popcorn starting on Tuesday. Thank God. Lebda is not as bad, but Lilja is definitely an upgrade once he gets up to speed.

a0102030405
01-25-2010, 04:26 PM

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2010/01/red_wings_nicklas_kronwall_to.html

hmm maybe Mickey Redmond was right lol

Cornholio
01-26-2010, 03:42 PM
Meech should be out tonight I guess, since Kronwall returns.
I like that! :D

MrScientist
01-26-2010, 09:23 PM
Nick Lidstrom give and go, dangle, backhand goal from the slot. Made my night.

a0102030405
01-26-2010, 09:44 PM
lol 4-2 Wings.

PHX pull the goalie. 5-4 PHX in OT.

Avaholic
01-26-2010, 09:53 PM
Dammit Wings, even when I find myself cheering for them to pull Phoenix down from the Avs in the standings, they take it one step worse and deliver the dreaded "3 point game." Stunning finish. :(

Jake
01-26-2010, 10:04 PM
Before Kyle goes off on a well deserved page long tangent let me just say that Stuart and his turnovers are killing us

MrScientist
01-26-2010, 10:09 PM
Before Kyle goes off on a well deserved page long tangent let me just say that Stuart and his turnovers are killing us

That was a chicken shit clearing attempt. Would barely have made the far blue line if no player was there. At that point, just rap it off the glass and take the icing for fuck's sake.

a0102030405
01-26-2010, 10:12 PM
I love the wings, but these late 3rd period collapses are killing me.

Need more Franzen, Holmstrom and Lilja.

eykwingnut
01-26-2010, 10:20 PM
Wow... I wish I wasn't spending all that money on digital cable and a DVR. I'd really like to not watch the next couple games, but that would make me feel like I was wasting all that money for nothing.

Kyle
01-26-2010, 10:43 PM
Wow, another 2 goal lead blown, this time we decided to let a game slip by with goals 47 secs apart in the final minute of the game. Why not, eh?

Hockeyis#1
01-27-2010, 03:00 AM
WTF?!? Are we suddenly the Flyers?!?

Cornholio
01-27-2010, 04:57 AM
I can't believe it!!
The 2 goal-lead should have given them enough confidence for the remaining 90 seconds.
And after that, alle 4 guys on the ice took a shitty shift in the OT where Doan scored the 5th one.

But the 3rd Wings goal was a great one by Lidström!!

chgorman
01-27-2010, 12:05 PM
consitently losing the 3rd period leads friggin blows, without question. It's so frustrating to watch, especially at such a crucial part of the season/sched when they are playing all the teams they are fighting with for playoff position and could be making leaps and bounds up the standings with regulation wins.

Trying to find a silver lining here - at least they're getting a point. I hate these 3 pt gms as much as anybody, and it would be nice if they could hold a friggin lead and actually win in regulation for once, or even half the time, but could be worse, at least they're not losing in regulation and walking away with nothing. The singles they're able to get are what is keeping them in the race. Not trying to justify the recent blown 3rd period leads, 'cuz they suck and I hate them as much as anybody, just trying to find SOMETHING to be positive about in regards to what's going on right now with this team, and that's about all I can come up with.

$T$
01-27-2010, 09:04 PM
Don't bite my head off guys but could/would the wings go after Kovalchuk? He's gotta be one of the best UFA's of the decade...

The Wings are traditionally quiet during the deadline but they'll get a nice look at what Kovalchuk and Datsyuk can do together in the Olympics... Those 2 + Zetts/Lids and Rafal on the PP would be disgusting. Easily comparable to anything SJ, CHI or VAN would have...

Obviously he isn't signable for long term, but with all the guys coming back healthy the big red machine has gotta be primed for a big 2nd half....

a0102030405
01-27-2010, 09:44 PM
if they do they have to give up quite a bit.

As long long as datsyuk, zetterberg, franzen, lids, kronwall, staurt/ericsson, and howard aren't involved in the trade in any way, I wouldn't mind it.

Also horrible officiating in the wild game but what else is new?

Kyle
01-27-2010, 09:46 PM
Man if they could ink that deal for even just this year that'd be amazing. But doubtful.

eykwingnut
01-27-2010, 11:04 PM
Yeah, I'm with them. What we need is a goalscorer like him, but I doubt they would be able to swing a deal with the amount of cap space they have.

chgorman
01-28-2010, 07:45 AM
It would def be sweet, I'd love to see it... I don't see it happening though. The team is well set up for the future and in this cap world, you can't be giving up long term talent for a short term fix, so I can't see DET giving up much of anything value-wise when A) they're not even guaranteed a playoff spot - if they don't make the playoffs, giving anything of value for Kovy is a waste when... B) he could potentially leave at the end of the season/playoffs and DET gets nothing in return. I don't wanna see anymore Lang for Fleischman-and-a-pick-that-turned-into-Mike-Green type deals anymore. Granted they were able to hold on to Lang for a few yrs, but they still didn't get good value out of that deal at all and gave up a top prospect and a top pick who are both now lighting it up.

It *might* be a possibility if they can work out a sign-and-trade deal, but with the number of big salaries the Wings already have, I'm not sure they could fit another under the cap... they'd have to be giving up a bunch of salary in return. Somebody like Franzen would probably have to be going the other way, along with maybe Filp, a prospect and/or a pick, or something like that. Seems like a steep price to pay to me.

Def need some goal scoring help, and fast, but the return of Franzen should help with that to some extent, assuming it doesn't take him too long to get back to the top of his game. Lets hope!

chicagohockey
01-28-2010, 09:53 AM
Would anyone really want Kovalchuk long term for the money he is asking? I may have missed any updates, but ddin't he want like $10 mil / year. He's a great point scorer, but i just don't put him on the same plain as Malkin / Crosby / Ovechkin where he should get that much money.

I think he's going to Russia. When you ask for $10 mil and no one in the league gets that much, it seems like a sign that he wants out of the NHL.

Kyle
01-28-2010, 03:56 PM
Kovy definitely shares company with Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin. The problem is hes asking for 20%+ more than any of them make. It doesn't work.

Dubz
01-28-2010, 05:09 PM
Would anyone really want Kovalchuk long term for the money he is asking? I may have missed any updates, but ddin't he want like $10 mil / year. He's a great point scorer, but i just don't put him on the same plain as Malkin / Crosby / Ovechkin where he should get that much money.

I think he's going to Russia. When you ask for $10 mil and no one in the league gets that much, it seems like a sign that he wants out of the NHL.

Hmmm....I think he is that good and knows it, the problem (speculation) is that he has never been a winner. Just look at his playoff numbers. 4 games and 20 minutes in penalties. That sticks out to me as a player who is selfish. Obviously its not set in stone he will remain with ATL but I really dont see him leaving unless he is willing to trim a bit off that 10 million+ or they get a sick ass bundle.

Id love to see him as a Leaf but I know that wont happen :cry:

a0102030405
01-28-2010, 07:35 PM
asking for 10 mill for 10 years is selfish, no matter if you "deserve" it or not. He is thinking about himself first and foremost, even Lidstrom didn't ask for that much when he could have. Hell even OVI took a pay cut for the benefit of the team, and he's one of the very very few that deserves it.

phaneuf6
01-28-2010, 08:57 PM
asking for 10 mill for 10 years is selfish, no matter if you "deserve" it or not. He is thinking about himself first and foremost, even Lidstrom didn't ask for that much when he could have. Hell even OVI took a pay cut for the benefit of the team, and he's one of the very very few that deserves it.

Wouldn't you? Not saying he deserves 10 million but what does he owe to anyone to take a pay cut?

two24four
01-28-2010, 10:10 PM
Alot of people seem to think Kovy will get alot of money in the KHL, and think if he does not get what he wants in the NHL he may leave for the KHL next year.

MrScientist
01-29-2010, 10:23 AM
Abdelkader has been sent down per Grand Rapids' Facebook. J Willy must be good to go tonight!

a0102030405
01-29-2010, 10:40 AM
Abdelkader has been sent down per Grand Rapids' Facebook. J Willy must be good to go tonight!

he is.

Kyle
01-29-2010, 11:01 AM
Wouldn't you? Not saying he deserves 10 million but what does he owe to anyone to take a pay cut?

No ones asking to take a pay cut, we're asking him to be a top payed player in the NHL like he deserves. He is not #1 in this league and doesn't deserve the most money. To get paid more than Ovy or Sid would be assanine.

phaneuf6
01-29-2010, 11:14 AM
No ones asking to take a pay cut, we're asking him to be a top payed player in the NHL like he deserves. He is not #1 in this league and doesn't deserve the most money. To get paid more than Ovy or Sid would be assanine.

Not saying it wouldn't be, I'm just saying that when you're in that position, whether you're a janitor in a highschool, or playing in the NHL, you're looking to do the best for yourself and your family. Nothing wrong with Kovalchuk wanting that much, asking for that much. At the end of the day, you have to look after yourself first.

a0102030405
01-29-2010, 01:13 PM
Not saying it wouldn't be, I'm just saying that when you're in that position, whether you're a janitor in a highschool, or playing in the NHL, you're looking to do the best for yourself and your family. Nothing wrong with Kovalchuk wanting that much, asking for that much. At the end of the day, you have to look after yourself first.

he's got more then enough for himself and his family, and the new contract will only help that.

is really a big different in 10mill for 10 year against say 7.5-8.5 mill for 10 years?

either way he and his family, will live well.

If it was say 500,000 to 2,000,000 then it would be acceptable, as 500,000 isn't as big of a safety buffer. but 7.5mill (x10) is more then enough.

phaneuf6
01-29-2010, 01:21 PM
he's got more then enough for himself and his family, and the new contract will only help that.

is really a big different in 10mill for 10 year against say 7.5-8.5 mill for 10 years?

either way he and his family, will live well.

If it was say 500,000 to 2,000,000 then it would be acceptable, as 500,000 isn't as big of a safety buffer. but 7.5mill (x10) is more then enough.

Hey if your boss came in and offered you 120,000 instead of the 90,000 you make now, you take that. Just sayin.

Dubz
01-29-2010, 01:40 PM
Hey if your boss came in and offered you 120,000 instead of the 90,000 you make now, you take that. Just sayin.

Yeah but you would also take 100,000:p

eykwingnut
01-29-2010, 03:04 PM
This is Kovalchuk's big contract time. This is the point in a players career where they sign a long contract worth a little more than they are worth to offset the cap going up. People have to remember that this is their job, and what happens if a player doesn't have a degree and gets injured? He has to have enough money to support his family for a long time. You can't support a family for 20-50 years on a even 1 million dollars really. These players NEED multi-milllion dollar contracts JUST IN CASE. We have to remember that hockey is a business first and foremost. Good for him to go for as much as he can get.

alias
01-29-2010, 05:55 PM
plus you always say you want more than you're willing to accept. sure he can say he wants $10M, he won't get it. it's a negotiation. start at $10M settle for maybe $8.5M If he says he wants $8.5M, GM's will try to lowball him to say $7M or something. this way he looks like he's doing the team a favour "Yeah I wanted $10M but I like *insert team name here* so much I accepted $8.5M"

a0102030405
01-29-2010, 06:00 PM

hell yeah i would take it, but my boss is an asshole, so it wouldn't happen.

but 30,000 is a big difference for me, 1,500,000 (from 10mill to 8,5mill) wouldn't relatively be as big of a difference for Kovy.

This is Kovalchuk's big contract time. This is the point in a players career where they sign a long contract worth a little more than they are worth to offset the cap going up. People have to remember that this is their job, and what happens if a player doesn't have a degree and gets injured? He has to have enough money to support his family for a long time. You can't support a family for 20-50 years on a even 1 million dollars really. These players NEED multi-milllion dollar contracts JUST IN CASE. We have to remember that hockey is a business first and foremost. Good for him to go for as much as he can get.

he is making 6mill this year, never mind the money from previous years, we're not taking about 1 million. Add that to the 10mill he will get next year, and trust me unless he wants to wipe his ass with 100s he and his family will be fine, financially.

Kyle
01-29-2010, 10:26 PM

Couldn't disagree more. Superstars don't have financial issues unless they're morons with gambling issues/any other ridiculously expensive self-destructive habbit that progressively gets worse. Those people aside, guys like Kovy no longer have to entertain the possibility of financial issues after they've been fully paid for a few healthy seasons. Kovy has had more than a few healthy seasons with plenty more to come this year. Hes fine. Anyone making multi millions of dollars in this world is fucking fine man, don't try to draw sympathy towards the financial plight of one of the most financially fortunate human beings on the planet (I don't mean Kovy specifically, I mean any sport's top paid superstars).

Its not my business how much money he wants, but the fact is hes asking more than a reasonable or realistic amount. As far as negotiation tactics, uhh, I don't think any of the players currently getting paid the most money in the league ever entertained the notion of making 10 million a year. So I don't buy that at all. Kovy is a selfish ass who will never win a stanley cup because he will never be surrounded by enough talent as long as he wants to leave only 80% of a team's salary to spend on the other 20 players on the roster.

Cornholio
01-30-2010, 08:33 AM
Finally, the had a two-goal-lead, and they won it after 60 minutes!! :eek::D

Hockeyis#1
01-31-2010, 04:49 AM
SportsNation NHL polls say the Wings make the playoffs (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/fp/flashPollResultsState?sportIndex=pollindex&pollId=85359)

Hockeyis#1
02-01-2010, 01:23 AM
Games like that make me wonder why Filp is in our lineup. Very exciting game, otherwise...although I dunno if I like Jimmy H in the shootout. He hasn't fared to well....

redwingbill
02-01-2010, 01:35 AM
Games like that make me wonder why Filp is in our lineup. Very exciting game, otherwise...although I dunno if I like Jimmy H in the shootout. He hasn't fared to well....

Will Osgood be in goal for the playoffs or is this now Jimmy's team? I like Howard but was just wondering if he'll be playoff ready?

Go Wings!

MrScientist
02-01-2010, 06:47 AM
Games like that make me wonder why Filp is in our lineup

???

Jake
02-01-2010, 12:02 PM
http://l.yimg.com/a/i/us/sp/fn/default/full/p_note_new_2.gif Sun, Jan 31
LW Johan Franzen, out since Oct. 8 with a torn left ACL, is scheduled to return to the lineup Feb. 9 in St. Louis. That would give him three games before the Olympic break. General manager Ken Holland said the only question mark is Franzen's conditioning level. If no one else gets injured, the Red Wings will be slightly more than $600,000 over the salary cap and one player over the 23-man roster limit when Franzen is activated, forcing them to make a move. (Yahoo sports) Will somebody please Nancy Kerrigan Maltby to make room. I really cant stand him, every time he is touched he looks at the ref and whines. He reminds me of a wide receiver who misses a pass, the first thing that happens is they look to the ref and plea for a call.

Cornholio
02-01-2010, 12:35 PM
Flip wasn't better or worse than Z or Dats IMO...

chgorman
02-01-2010, 01:57 PM

I could be wrong, or could have read the stat wrong, but I'm pretty sure NBC flashed something on the screen about the Wings being 6-0 in the shootout before they lost yesterday, meaning Jimmy H was undefeated in the SO before losing yesterday.

It's not like he let in a couple cheap/easy goals yesterday... Both Malkin and Crosby's goals were pretty slick, Malkin's especially. Can't really blame Jimmy on either one, and he stayed right with Letang and made a nice save. Oz probably wouldn't have done any better.

Kyle
02-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Oz would've challenged Malkin and not let him snake around. I don't think Malkin pulls that goal 2 out of 10 tries. But thats OK, Howard gave us a point we absolutely did not deserve by any stretch of the imagination. What a pathetic game by us, I have no more excuses, we're no more injured than the average team and simply getting outplayed. We really, really, need this all star break cause I need to know if this team is just tired from having to try so hard to pick up the slack or if we just don't got it this year for some reason. Until then I hope we can get a point a game.

Cornholio
02-01-2010, 04:19 PM
I could be wrong, or could have read the stat wrong, but I'm pretty sure NBC flashed something on the screen about the Wings being 6-0 in the shootout before they lost yesterday, meaning Jimmy H was undefeated in the SO before losing yesterday.
Not sure about the exact numbers, but the Pens were 4-0, and the Wings were about 2-6 or something.
Definetely not without a loss; they lost to Dallas a couple of games ago, Steve Ott scored the "goal" which wasn't clearly in, I'm sure you can remember ;)

Kyle
02-01-2010, 06:18 PM
How could Wings be 6-0? I can distinctly remember at least 2 losses. We suck ass at shootouts except for Datsyuk's moves.

Hockeyis#1
02-03-2010, 03:25 PM
How could Wings be 6-0? I can distinctly remember at least 2 losses. We suck ass at shootouts except for Datsyuk's moves.
Detroit is 4-6 with a .632 sv% overall according to NHL.com (http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?fetchKey=20102ALLAAAAll&sort=shootoutTeamSummary.shootoutGamesWon&viewName=shootoutTeamSummary). Which is ranked 23rd in the league.

You know, I'm starting to think there might be some merit to the whole "have a 4th line guy dressed who is NASTY at shootouts." I mean, roster spots were used by guys who could really only fight so.....

a0102030405
02-03-2010, 06:45 PM
good game last night, Holmstrom really helped the powerplay. Hope they can keep up this momentum.

And hope Kronner isn't hurt for long. TBH we've been quite lucky the last week, Kronwall, Bert, and Stuart had minor ailments, and since it's the 2009-2010 season I'm surprised they didn't all go on 3 month IR, just in time for Franzen to return.

MrScientist
02-03-2010, 06:48 PM
good game last night, Holmstrom really helped the powerplay. Hope they can keep up this momentum.

And hope Kronner isn't hurt for long. TBH we've been quite lucky the last week, Kronwall, Bert, and Stuart had minor ailments, and since it's the 2009-2010 season I'm surprised they didn't all go on 3 month IR, just in time for Franzen to return.

I really don't know with Kron...he went for a hit against Chicago, and his entire lower leg did something akin to rolling your ankle when playing basketball. Played the first two periods last night and is out tonight...hmm.

MrScientist
02-03-2010, 11:02 PM
The Bodie-Ericsson fight is just another example of this retarded retaliation fighting for clean hits. I mean c'mon, Kyle Chipchura isn't even a star, so you can't use that excuse. It'd be like May fighting someone for laying Maltby out lmao

eykwingnut
02-03-2010, 11:48 PM
That 2nd goal was complete bs, I knew it would stand though because that's the way things go against the Wings.

bearcats
02-04-2010, 12:46 AM
is osgood done completley? I mean howard has been good this year but his last two games have not been great....anyone think ozzy gets the next start?

eykwingnut
02-04-2010, 12:54 AM
you dont think howard was good against sj? i dont have a complaint in the world about howard...

a0102030405
02-04-2010, 12:58 AM
ossy is most likely done. he may get 1 in 10 from now. jimmy has been ridiculous, keeping the wings in games where they have no business being in.

Hockeyis#1
02-04-2010, 04:56 AM
Flip wasn't better or worse than Z or Dats IMO...

???
Missed these comments before. Filp played awfully that game. He missed chances, caused turnovers, and overall looked lost on the ice. If someone had told me that he was incredibly hungover that game, I'dve thought that explained everything.

eykwingnut
02-04-2010, 11:48 AM
Personally, after Jimmy Howard I think Filp has been one of our best players the last couple weeks.

chicagohockey
02-04-2010, 12:54 PM
Are any of the WIngs fans worreid about all the free agency over the summer (18 free agentes...8 RFA, some are minor leagures though)? Or do you see this as a chance to go out and spend some money?

eykwingnut
02-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Are any of the WIngs fans worreid about all the free agency over the summer (18 free agentes...8 RFA, some are minor leagures though)? Or do you see this as a chance to go out and spend some money?
Not worried at all. Lidstrom will probably retire which will open a ton of cap space to sign people. The only other player I would really be pissed about if they didn't re-sign is Holmstrom.

MrScientist
02-04-2010, 01:47 PM
Not worried at all. Lidstrom will probably retire which will open a ton of cap space to sign people. The only other player I would really be pissed about if they didn't re-sign is Holmstrom.

Not for $2+ million like he's paid right now, but yes I think he's worth a spot

chgorman
02-04-2010, 02:18 PM

I'm not too worried, in Kenny H I trust. I don't see them going out and making any big splashes. Here's what I see possibly happening:

Lidstrom - retires or resigns for a yr or two and (hopefully) takes a bit of a pay cut to open up a bit of cap space to resign some of the others. Not saying he doesn't deserve 7.5 mil any longer, 'cuz IMO he is still one of the premier D int he league despite his age, but I could see him taking a sweetheart deal for a yr or two to finish his career in DET and have one more shot at the Cup, as he is slowing down ever so slightly. Nothing drastic, maybe go from 7.5 to 6.5 or 6, but enough of a cut to free up some space to help resign some of the other guys.

Holmstrom - retires or re-signs for 1 yr, either at the same dollars or very slight raise. Because he's having a solid season and is being relatively productive by his standards, I could see him coming back for another yr at the same price or very slight raise. small possibility he takes less just to stick around for another yr.

Bert - he'd be an idiot to not re-sign at the same price, *maybe* slight raise. He's been rejuvenated in DET and seems to like it, so he'd be silly to go elsewhere, but the Wings can't really afford to give him much more than he's making now, so IMO he should just take the $1.5mil to continue playing on a team that he likes in a market that is accepting of him. If he wants more, I could see Kenny H upping him to 2 mil just to keep him around, but if he wants any more than that and there's a team willing to give it to him, he's likely gone.

J.Willy - hasn't played enough this season for me to get a good feel for his worth to the organization. He *should* stay a same or lower salary. If he wants a raise or another team offers him more, he's probably gone, which wouldn't really bother me. would be nice to keep him around as he's pretty good offensively, nice shot from the point on 2nd PP, and good int he shootout, but I wouldn't be devastated to see him go by any means.

Maltby - HOPEFULLY retires, but if not, resigns cheap for one more yr so he can retire with Drapes after next season. I'm really hoping he retires after this season though.

Leino is still under contract for next season, but hopefully they can find a way to get rid of him, or at least get his contract off the books. Not that he makes a lot, but he's done sweet fuck all to earn the money he is making, so hopefully they can move him for a pick or something. I could be wrong, but I don't think he could be sent down, otherwise they'd probably do that.

Helm - RFA who NEEDS to be resigned. Hopefully no jackass GM makes him an overpriced RFA offer, 'cuz the Wings need this guy going forward, and need to keep him cheap for as long as possible.

Abdelkader - Similar to Helm. Needs to develop a bit more in Grand Rapids, but needs to be retained as long as he doesn't receive some ridiculous RFA offer from another team (which he shouldn't, given that he hasn't proven much yet).

Eaves/Miller - tough call... both have been VERY solid role players all season, very productive considering their salaries. Will likely stick around if willing to re-sign for same/similar to what they make now. If either/both are offered a RFA contract by another team, they're probably gone. Hopefully they can be kept, as both will make great replacements for Draper/Maltby IMO.

Lilja - If he can stay healthy and contribute for the rest of this season, he's probably worth resigning for the same or less. If his concussion issues recur and/or he's lost too much of his game after being out or game action for almost a full yr, then he'll probably be gone, possibly re-signed for less but unlikely

Lebda/Meech/Janik - If Kenny feels Kindl is at a stage where he can step in as the 6th/7th D, all 3 of these guys could be gone. None of 'em make much, so wouldn't be a backbreaker to resign them, and they do provide decent depth on D for the price, but if Kindl (who has WAY more upside) can replace them effectively in the lineup then there's no reason to keep them on board other than for depth purposes. Any of the 3 would have to resign on the stipulation that they'd be willing to play in GR. I can't see all 3 being resigned. If Meech receives an RFA offer from another team (unlikely, but possible), he's good as gone.

Ritola - Hasn't proven enough (IMO) to be worth holding on to. Maybe anybody who pays attention to GR can comment on his play this yr, but from what I can tell, he's probably gone.

Kindl - will most definitely be re-signed, probably at a slight raise. hopefully he doesn't get a RFA offer from another team, as the Wings will in all likelyhood match and be forced to pay him more than he's worth at this point considering he hasn't proven anything at the NHL level

May/Newbury - IMO they need to keep one of these guys around at the min salary, just not sure which one. Maybe both. Maybe neither. Tough to say. Even though he's only getting .5 mil, May doesn't fight enough to even be worth that IMO. I'd rather see that .5mil go towards giving Helm/Eaves/Miller/Bert a raise.

Larsson - if he's willing to stay in GR as the same or similar salary, he'll likely be kept around. If he wants a raise and/or McCollum is showing good development, then Larsson is likely gone, as Jimmy H is the current goalie of the future while McCollum is the future goalie of the future, leaving Larsson as the odd man out as he'd cost more than McCollum to retain.

In short, if Lids retires, I could see them resigning just about everybody other than 2-3 guys and snagging somebody solid in the summer with the left over cap space. If Lids doesn't retire (and I have a feeling he'll stick around for another yr or 2, as will Homer and Maltby), and nobody else retires, they're gonna have to be very selective with who they keep, and I imagine a few guys will have to be cut loose, especially if they receive RFA offers. Without knowing Lidstrom's, Holmstrom's and Maltby's intentions, it's too early to be in any way accurate in trying to predict who will stay and who will go (if anyone), but IMO, as long as they can keep Helm, Eaves, Miller, Bert, Abdelkader, and Kindl around for cheap (and resign Lids of course, assuming he's coming back), then those guys are the priority. I'd like to have homer back for another yr, but I won't be devastated if he retires, and for all I care, J.Willy, Maltby, May, Ritola, Newbury, Lilja, Lebda, Meech, Janik and Larsson can all walk (or retire in Maltby's case), and hopefully they can rid themselves of Leino.

All that said, if Hudler decides he wants to come back next season, that's a whole other story and a few more guys would have to be shit-canned to make room.

Impossible to say how it'll all go down at this point. There will definitely be some changes... tough to say to what extent though. Regardless, I'm not worried. As per usual, Kenny H will have it all under control and will do his utmost to do what is best for the team going forward. Gonna be some tough decisions to be made, but in Kenny H I trust.

chgorman
02-04-2010, 02:21 PM

I'd be devastated if they weren't able to resign Helm.

Is lids still planning on retiring? I thought I heard earlier in the season that he's contemplating sticking around for another yr or two, but maybe not. that was a while ago, so maybe he's gone back to the retirement talk and is planning on hangin' em up at the end of the season

chicagohockey
02-04-2010, 02:28 PM
Isn't Ken Holland's contract up soon? I could see Montreal throwing a rediculous offer at him.

Also didn't he promise Lidstrom he would always be the highest payed player on the red wings. If Lidstrom doesn't retire and that holds true, there could be some headaches.

MrScientist
02-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Isn't Ken Holland's contract up soon? I could see Montreal throwing a rediculous offer at him.

Also didn't he promise Lidstrom he would always be the highest payed player on the red wings. If Lidstrom doesn't retire and that holds true, there could be some headaches.

He said when signing Hossa that no one makes more than the captain. However, if Lidstrom comes back, I don't see him holding Kenny H up for $7 million.

chicagohockey
02-04-2010, 04:52 PM
He said when signing Hossa that no one makes more than the captain. However, if Lidstrom comes back, I don't see him holding Kenny H up for $7 million.

Lidstrom doesn't seem like that kind of player, but we have seen weirder.

Cornholio
02-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Great analysis, chgorman!!
After all, I kind of agree in all the points, especially as far as Helm is concerned!!

Hockeyis#1
02-04-2010, 06:58 PM
I def think Eaves gets retained over Miller.

a0102030405
02-04-2010, 07:05 PM
Helm
Holmstrom
Eaves

they all need resigning.

Abs, Miller and Bert are secondary concerns.

Lidstrom I'll leave off the list because if he continues his career he stays in Detroit no doubt. It won't be a Ryan Smyth situation, will lids wants 7 mill, he'll get 7 mill. But I doubt he'll force the team's hand.

I think it's time to stop babying Janik and Kindl, they need to move up. If lids stay they get delayed one year, but Detroit shouldn't go outside to get D men.

Hockeyis#1
02-04-2010, 07:22 PM
I'd much rather have Bert than either Abs or Miller

eykwingnut
02-05-2010, 12:17 AM
I agree with a lot of what you said, but Ritola has looked pretty good IMO. Plus he plays with a chip on his shoulder.

chgorman
02-05-2010, 10:57 AM
I agree with a lot of what you said, but Ritola has looked pretty good IMO. Plus he plays with a chip on his shoulder.

You'd know better than I would, as I think you pay much more attention to GR than I do. I'm just going by the couple games he played with the Wings earlier in the season, where I didn't really see anything special or noteworthy from him in his limited icetime.

Would you keep him over somebody like Eaves/Miller? I have a feeling that's what it's going to come down to. I'm not sure they'll have roster room or cap space to keep all 3 if Lids doesn't retire and Lebda/Meech/Lilja are all retained.

chgorman
02-05-2010, 11:05 AM
I def think Eaves gets retained over Miller.

Helm
Holmstrom
Eaves

they all need resigning.

Lidstrom I'll leave off the list because if he continues his career he stays in Detroit no doubt. It won't be a Ryan Smyth situation, will lids wants 7 mill, he'll get 7 mill. But I doubt he'll force the team's hand.

I think it's time to stop babying Janik and Kindl, they need to move up. If lids stay they get delayed one year, but Detroit shouldn't go outside to get D men.

I'm interested to know why you guys feel Eaves should be kept over Miller... I don't necessarily disagree, I have no problem with either guy, I like both and what they've done for the team this season, in a perfect world Kenny H would be able to keep both, but I'm interested to know why Eaves over Miller. Both are great role players, both great PKers, Eaves has a few more pts, a few more pims, and a bunch more sog, but Miller has better +/-, more GWG, more STPts, and was getting 2nd line icetime for a while, while Eaves has been back on the 3rd/4th line all season...

Like I say, not disagreeing, just curious why you guys feel Eaves is a definite keep over Miller.

eykwingnut
02-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Ritola has a better scoring touch and creativity with the puck than Eaves and Miller, but doesn't have the work ethic of those two. It all depends on what type of player you think we need going forward.

Bubbles & Conkey
02-05-2010, 04:45 PM
I was just looking at the conference standings and noticed that not only are Detroit & Calgary tied @ 64 points each but that both teams had exactly the same goals for (147). Is it a wierd perception that people are not really concerned with lack of scoring in Detroit but any conversations about Calgary are centered around their lack of scoring.:dunno:

Anyone have any other thoughts on this? Maybe I just missed the Detroit conversations.

Kyle
02-05-2010, 04:56 PM
Huh? Really man? You're really out of the loop, we've had dramatic offensive issues ALL season except for a small stretch when we had that 9 goal game that spiked us up to 5th place. We dipped down past 20th quickly and now we're in the bottom 10.

We don't have AS MUCH of a problem because injuries can be directly credited for our offensive woes. But the alarm bells have been ringing all season regarding our offense. All the buzz is about Detroits struggle to score.

chgorman
02-05-2010, 05:01 PM
I was just looking at the conference standings and noticed that not only are Detroit & Calgary tied @ 64 points each but that both teams had exactly the same goals for (147). Is it a wierd perception that people are not really concerned with lack of scoring in Detroit but any conversations about Calgary are centered around their lack of scoring.:dunno:

Anyone have any other thoughts on this? Maybe I just missed the Detroit conversations.

I think it's because Calgary hasn't suffered through the first half of the season missing a bunch of their top scorers. They managed 147 GF with pretty much their full compliment of talent, whereas DET has missed Franzen, Holmstrom, Zetterberg, Jason Williams, etc for extended periods of time. I can pretty much guarantee that if DET didn't sustain all those major injuries to key players, they'd have roughly 30-50 more GF to this point than they actually do now.

a0102030405
02-05-2010, 07:29 PM
I'm interested to know why you guys feel Eaves should be kept over Miller... I don't necessarily disagree, I have no problem with either guy, I like both and what they've done for the team this season, in a perfect world Kenny H would be able to keep both, but I'm interested to know why Eaves over Miller. Both are great role players, both great PKers, Eaves has a few more pts, a few more pims, and a bunch more sog, but Miller has better +/-, more GWG, more STPts, and was getting 2nd line icetime for a while, while Eaves has been back on the 3rd/4th line all season...

Like I say, not disagreeing, just curious why you guys feel Eaves is a definite keep over Miller.

for sure.

And the reason is because the combination of Helm and Eaves has been great, both are speedy and good defensively. And they obviously need to resign Holmstrom, so that doesn't leave too many slots.

Miller and Abs would be good to resign too. Bert wouldn't hurt to sign as well.

eykwingnut
02-06-2010, 12:07 PM
colossal game tonight, and every night it seems...

phaneuf6
02-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Leino gone to Philly for Tollefsen. Nice call boys.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=309159

a0102030405
02-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Leino gone to Philly for Tollefsen. Nice call boys.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=309159

and Detroit gets a 5th as well.

MrScientist
02-06-2010, 12:58 PM
and Detroit gets a 5th as well.

As I mentioned in the Leino thread someone made, glad to see this ET motherfucker out of here. What a colossal bust, though like Toyota, it doesn't happen often for the Wings. Glad we could move him for something at least.

eykwingnut
02-06-2010, 06:39 PM
Wow... Knock somebody on their ass when they are in front of your net! They are playing like a mens league team that's not allowed to check...

Kyle
02-06-2010, 06:46 PM
That was our worst loss of the season and likely the most significant.

With all of our blown leads lately, that we couldn't secure ONE single point with a 3-0 lead exiting the first shows this really might be that year.

Kyle
02-06-2010, 09:19 PM
And thats not to mention we lost Holmstrom again...this is a dark cloud year for sure.

a0102030405
02-06-2010, 10:31 PM
I'm still not willing to give up until the team sucks this badly when Franzen comes back. If in 2 weeks they are still giving up leads then I'll start losing faith, until then this is still on paper similar to the team that won the cup, 2 years ago.

chgorman
02-07-2010, 02:14 PM
As I mentioned in the Leino thread someone made, glad to see this ET motherfucker out of here. What a colossal bust, though like Toyota, it doesn't happen often for the Wings. Glad we could move him for something at least.

ET?? As in extra-terrestrial? :confused:

I like the deal. TBH, Pretty surprised they were able to get anything for him considering his terrible production this year, let alone a decent physical presence like Tollefsson AND a pick (the 5th is right around where DET finds a lot of it's gems I think). I figured they'd have to waive him or buy out his contract to get rid of him.

MrScientist
02-07-2010, 02:43 PM
ET?? As in extra-terrestrial? :confused:

I like the deal. TBH, Pretty surprised they were able to get anything for him considering his terrible production this year, let alone a decent physical presence like Tollefsson AND a pick (the 5th is right around where DET finds a lot of it's gems I think). I figured they'd have to waive him or buy out his contract to get rid of him.

Yes ET, he looks weirder than Pavel lol

Kyle
02-07-2010, 02:52 PM
I'm glad Pavel is a hockey player. God knows he had no chance with girls otherwise.

MrScientist
02-09-2010, 06:38 PM
We'll see how the Wings' morale is tonight, St. Louis is just the trap team to test us right now.

Kyle
02-09-2010, 08:04 PM
Agreed. Absolutely necessary win. Not 1 point, has to be 2.

Dubz
02-09-2010, 10:10 PM
3-1 Blues...doesnt look good

MrScientist
02-09-2010, 10:18 PM
Did anyone else have a chuckle during the 1st intermission? Bill Patrick's segui was "speaking of enormous loads" and every one of the studio guys started laughing

MrScientist
02-09-2010, 10:35 PM
Kyle, I know you won't be satisfied with just one point tonight, but...

Detroit Red Wings hockey, bitch!

Dubz
02-09-2010, 10:36 PM
Locked up a point...Franzen looks a little lost but is on the top line with Dats and Zetts right now.

a0102030405
02-09-2010, 11:45 PM
pretty bad game. lucky we got 1 point.

Next game, no excuses, Franzen had his 1 game to return to form, from here on out, they better play each game well.

edit:

Did anyone else have a chuckle during the 1st intermission? Bill Patrick's segui was "speaking of enormous loads" and every one of the studio guys started laughing

DMac was the first to crack up lol.

MrScientist
02-09-2010, 11:47 PM
pretty bad game. lucky we got 1 point.

Next game, no excuses, Franzen had his 1 game to return to form, from here on out, they better play each game well.

He's been out for basically the entire season to this point, and you think he'll be 100% game shape after one game? And I'm talking timing, chemistry, etc. in addition to conditioning.

a0102030405
02-09-2010, 11:54 PM
He's been out for basically the entire season to this point, and you think he'll be 100% game shape after one game? And I'm talking timing, chemistry, etc. in addition to conditioning.

yes. :)

MrScientist
02-09-2010, 11:59 PM
Lol, at this point I'll be happy as long as Kronwall doesn't fall down the stairs at the hotel or something :lol:

Hockeyis#1
02-10-2010, 03:46 AM
God are the Wings awful in OT/SO's this season. Had they won 6 of the 11 games lost in OT/SO's, they'd be 4th in the West.

Kyle
02-10-2010, 04:46 AM

After what I saw today, absolutely.

That was the only bright point. Oh and Howard was a stud as usual I guess. But wow, this is just getting fucking lame. Good comeback but way to lose another game scoring first.

I MUCH preferred allowing the 1st goal and constantly making comebacks like we did earlier in the year. No matter what the standings say (We were 9th back then too), you look like a team that deserved the win each time you make that comeback. Right now Detroit just looks embarassing. Off the top of my head I absolutely KNOW that at least 5 of our last 10 losses (And I think much more) were when we scored first. Many of them contained 2 goal leads. The Red Wings this decade have been far and beyond the best team in the league at holding leads (Contested by NJD) and this year they are far and beyond the worst. Its just painful to watch a transition that dramatic.

Hockeyis#1
02-10-2010, 02:44 PM
After what I saw today, absolutely.

That was the only bright point. Oh and Howard was a stud as usual I guess. But wow, this is just getting fucking lame. Good comeback but way to lose another game scoring first.

I MUCH preferred allowing the 1st goal and constantly making comebacks like we did earlier in the year. No matter what the standings say (We were 9th back then too), you look like a team that deserved the win each time you make that comeback. Right now Detroit just looks embarassing. Off the top of my head I absolutely KNOW that at least 5 of our last 10 losses (And I think much more) were when we scored first. Many of them contained 2 goal leads. The Red Wings this decade have been far and beyond the best team in the league at holding leads (Contested by NJD) and this year they are far and beyond the worst. Its just painful to watch a transition that dramatic.
Detroit is 18-5 after leading 2 periods. (http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?fetchKey=20102ALLAAAAll&sort=winPctAfterLead2P&viewName=recordWhenLeading)
Ranked 25th in the league.

MrScientist
02-10-2010, 02:48 PM
I don't think anyone, myself included, will realize how incredible it is that they're in 9th until after Franzen starts scoring and they start winning. They already lost a ton of goals in the offseason, and then we lost our best sniper 3 games in...it's hitting me now.

a0102030405
02-10-2010, 03:04 PM
I don't think anyone, myself included, will realize how incredible it is that they're in 9th until after Franzen starts scoring and they start winning. They already lost a ton of goals in the offseason, and then we lost our best sniper 3 games in...it's hitting me now.

they've been in so many close games and 1 goal games, more specifically. We're use to Detroit destroying every team, so now when they are average we think they suck balls.

Anyways Eaves out, Kronwall out, and Holmstrom doubtful for Tuesday against the Sharks.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2010/02/red_wings_niklas_kronwall_out_2.html

Kyle
02-11-2010, 11:04 PM
And another SO loss. God. Fucking. Dammit.

chgorman
02-12-2010, 07:26 AM
This will sound preposterous, but I almost wish the Wings could play SJ every game :lol:

Not only are they almost always thoroughly entertaining games, but DET's record would probably be a lot better too, despite last night's loss. Really too bad that they can't beat any other team as consistently as they have taken it to SJ this season. Frustrating that they can beat arguably the top team in the league with regularity, but can't seem to beat mediocre teams like St Louis with any regularity.

Sucks that they lost in the shootout last night, but on the positive side, they looked great for the most part, almost the entire game. A couple short defensive lapses hurt (SJ 2nd goal definitely a glaring defensive issue), but otherwise, DET carried the play for 55 of 60 mins, and if Nabby doesn't have his career game last night, DET wins in regulation easily. Props to him for a ridiculous night. Just too bad he had to have in DET.

Hockeyis#1
02-12-2010, 08:25 AM
And another SO loss. God. Fucking. Dammit.
I thought to myself after the overtime ended "Well, atleast we earned 1 point. :rolleyes:"

chgorman
02-12-2010, 09:10 AM
Oh, another thing I forgot to mention in my earlier post... I thought The Mule looked great last night. Awesome to have him back playing at a high level already. That snipe on the 1st goal was sick. This team sorely misses that kind of snipery.

According to Daniels/Redmond last night, sounds like management wants him to play for Sweden in the Olympics so that he's in good shape and top form when the NHL starts back up, almost like a conditioning stint. I completely agree. If he actually does end up playing for Sweden and finishes the tourney on a roll, he's gonna be a monster once the NHL starts back up.

I think the O break is probably the best thing to happen to this team. Obviously guys like Lids, Zetts, Dats, Raffi, etc won't be getting much rest over the break, but for guys like Stuart, who lately just looks like he's completely spent from playing so many big minutes in the 1st half, the rest is going to do wonders. He's made so many mental errors recently, likely purely as a result of extreme exhaustion, that the break can do nothing but good for him and the other guys (mainly Howard) who are exhausted from playing many more minutes than they're used to during the injury woes (or Oz's struggles in regards to Jimmy).

Dubz
02-12-2010, 09:23 AM
I read somewhere if Holmstrom doesnt play for the Swedes Franzen may. Not sure what will happen but if anything Holmer could probably use the rest and Franz could use the conditioning stint.

Is snipery even a word:cool: I liked that one:lol:

a0102030405
02-12-2010, 09:58 AM
I thought to myself after the overtime ended "Well, atleast we earned 1 point. :rolleyes:"

that's this season's slogan.

chgorman
02-12-2010, 10:06 AM
Is snipery even a word:cool: I liked that one:lol:

It is now! :lol:

Don't mind me, I make up words that aren't in the dictionary all the time.

MrScientist
02-12-2010, 01:56 PM
May has been placed on waivers, Bob McKenzie also said someone was going on LTIR so Lilja can come back - Eaves?

Hockeyis#1
02-13-2010, 10:43 AM
that's this season's slogan.
What's overtly sad about that, is that Pavel Datsyuk is tied for first in the league with 6 SO goals, and is near the top in shooting% for the shootout.

If I were Mike Babcock, the end of every practice would be some sort of survival shootout. Cuz both Jimmy H and Ozzy have been pretty awful defending, and only Datsyuk has been money shooting.

Hockeyis#1
02-13-2010, 11:32 AM
Should Jimmy Howard be the lead candidate for ROTY?

MrScientist
02-13-2010, 11:44 AM
Should Jimmy Howard be the lead candidate for ROTY?

I would think so...Colorado's bunch would be in if it were a group trophy for sure though

Hockeyis#1
02-13-2010, 12:01 PM
I would think so...Colorado's bunch would be in if it were a group trophy for sure though
Duchene is tied for 70th best forward in the NHL, Howard is a top 10 goalie. I mean Tyler Myers is atleast 17th amongst defensemen in the NHL. Don't get me wrong, Duchene has done very well, but I don't think his contribution to the Avs compares to Howard's to the Wings.

MrScientist
02-13-2010, 12:08 PM
Duchene is tied for 70th best forward in the NHL, Howard is a top 10 goalie. I mean Tyler Myers is atleast 17th amongst defensemen in the NHL. Don't get me wrong, Duchene has done very well, but I don't think his contribution to the Avs compares to Howard's to the Wings.

I know, I meant the whole group like Galiardi, O'Reilly, also

phaneuf6
02-13-2010, 08:11 PM
I think when it comes down to it, Duchene gets the nod over Howard. I feel like voters have heard Howards name for a couple years now to get that 'true rookie' image out of their heads when it comes to him.

MrScientist
02-13-2010, 09:42 PM
What a statement win. Hey league, look what we can do with Kronwall back in, not to mention Lilja will be back after the Olympic break. I think the breakthrough is finally coming.

Kyle
02-13-2010, 09:44 PM
I agree. That was classic Red Wings. The passing was faster and more on point than its been in weeks, we had jump to our skating, and we had no issues with sloppiness. Ottowas a very good team so thats a win we really needed.

I didn't know Franzen was as good at Football as he is at hockey. That was a beautiful interception for the empty net goal. :lol:

MrScientist
02-13-2010, 09:54 PM
I agree. That was classic Red Wings. The passing was faster and more on point than its been in weeks, we had jump to our skating, and we had no issues with sloppiness. Ottowas a very good team so thats a win we really needed.

I didn't know Franzen was as good at Football as he is at hockey. That was a beautiful interception for the empty net goal. :lol:

I think he was as surprised as you, if you saw his face after :lol:

a0102030405
02-13-2010, 10:13 PM
hey look a win by more then 1 goal.

MrScientist
02-13-2010, 10:27 PM
hey look a win by more then 1 goal.

If the Sharks, for example, win 55 games by an average of 3 goals and the Red Wings win 55 games by an average of 1, guess what? They still won the same amount of games. Kind of a moot point to be making on your part.

Kyle
02-14-2010, 01:14 AM
I wouldn't go as far as to call it moot. Hes saying something along the lines of what I was saying with "Classic Wings game." We outplayed and consistently outplayed even after taking a lead. The point is we've been unable to break through any of these games and yes it absolutely does make a massive difference on team stamina and morale when you're having to fight your ass off for every regular season win instead of dominating like you've been used to doing for (some players on the Wings roster) 12+ years. So yes this is a nice confidence booster and its nice to say we played one of the best teams in the NHL and simply beat them without a fuss. Thats how the Wings are supposed to win. You will inevitably grind some games out, but we've had to grind 9 out of 10 games this season as opposed to maybe 5-6/10 in a normal season. Thats tiring. You can say players play at 100% at all times but its not true. You play more physical and more risky to your health and you call on the reserve tank more often in close, tight games, and over a 7 month season it makes a huge difference.

Even if we do make the playoffs, its almost guarenteed we're going to come out tired and sluggish because of the minutes that top players have to put in durring close games and the fact that we've just had to play so hard every second of every game and it still hasn't been enough. Thats mentally and physically exhausting and (ignoring their failure playoff performances) SJ absolutely has a massive advantage being able to coast through half their games. They will be more fresh and more prepared come playoff time because they will spend their last few games resting and preparing for the playoffs while our playoff picture is almost certainly going to be undecided by even our 80th game. The 1st round won't even be on our mind until our 81st-82nd game probably (assuming things go well), it has a big impact on preperation and energy.

So...not moot at all, IMO, and I agree its about fuckin time we won a game like this. But I agree with you too, all things aside, we make the playoffs and its anyone's cup to win.

a0102030405
02-14-2010, 08:10 AM
If the Sharks, for example, win 55 games by an average of 3 goals and the Red Wings win 55 games by an average of 1, guess what? They still won the same amount of games. Kind of a moot point to be making on your part.

that it felt like an old red wings game, and not the deflated version where they barely bring it in the zone and either have no shot or a horrible shot.

Kyle
02-14-2010, 12:01 PM
Well, we had some horrible shots. Helms amazing burst of speed to get a mini breakaway ended with the lamest, weakest "poke" at the puck I've ever seen. :lol:

chgorman
02-14-2010, 12:44 PM
Was at the game last night (wife got me tix for xmas) - what a game! Throughly enjoyable. Some slick goals, particularly Dats top shelf tip in from almost beside the net, and Berts corss creas pass to Clearly was pretty slick too. Great game to head into the break on. If they can play that soundly coming out of the O break, the playoffs should be very attainable.

Kyle
02-28-2010, 02:00 PM
If Red Wings luck is consistent this year, near the end of the gold medal game a wild puck will shatter Rafalski's ankle, bounce to the Canadian bench, and knock Babcock out cold and cause him to miss action for a month. :lol:

MrScientist
02-28-2010, 02:11 PM
If Red Wings luck is consistent this year, near the end of the gold medal game a wild puck will shatter Rafalski's ankle, bounce to the Canadian bench, and knock Babcock out cold and cause him to miss action for a month. :lol:

Kenny H will also fist pump Yzerman, causing him to break all of his fingers on his phone/contract hand :)

Hockeyis#1
02-28-2010, 04:54 PM

Kenny H will also fist pump Yzerman, causing him to break all of his fingers on his phone/contract hand :)
One stray puck will also fly into the stands and nail Datsyuk watching the game in one of the club boxes. :lol:

thelaughingtree
02-28-2010, 10:57 PM
One stray puck will also fly into the stands and nail Datsyuk watching the game in one of the club boxes. :lol:
... And so we'll bring back Howe & Cicerrelli

Hockeyis#1
02-28-2010, 11:33 PM
... And so we'll bring back Howe & Cicerrelli
Whatever happened to Dino anyway?

redwingbill
03-01-2010, 09:19 PM
Nice goal Homer!

Kyle
03-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Yup. Nice minute+ offensive cycle leading to a tripping penalty too. Lets see a PP goal!

Kyle
03-01-2010, 09:31 PM
And Franzen with the beautiful topshelf wrister on the powerplay.

redwingbill
03-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Finally Healthy!

redwingbill
03-01-2010, 10:11 PM
Fraser looks funny wearing a helmet!

MrScientist
03-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Hey Fraser, spend less time on your hair and more time reading the fucking rulebook. God, I swear if I didn't watch Steve Downie all the time, I'd say Holmstrom gets the worst "rep" calls ever.

bearcats
03-01-2010, 10:15 PM
hey guys just checking on your top 6

is it

franzen/dats/holmer
bert/zetts/cleary

just wondering as the wings have a kick ass "off day" schedule from here on in....

redwingbill
03-01-2010, 10:19 PM
Damn 5 hole Again....

Hockeyis#1
03-01-2010, 10:40 PM
Did Holmer sleep with Fraiser's wife or something?? Is that why he chooses to treat Holmer with such disrespect?

redwingbill
03-01-2010, 11:09 PM
Lidssssssssssssssss!

keyboard
03-01-2010, 11:16 PM
That Datsyuk play was nasty.

Hockeyis#1
03-01-2010, 11:33 PM
It looked like all Detroit's big players brought their 'A' game tonight. Good game from Dats, Zetts, Franzen, Holmer, Bert, Lids and Raffy.

I'm also certain if the stat 'scoring chances missed' was kept, Filp would lead the league.

Kyle
03-02-2010, 01:18 AM
That open net was disgusting by Filp. I have a very high tolerance for missed backahdns and I usually sympathize was people trying to jam a backhand home in heated situations but that was too wide open. Total fuckup/

I don't like blowing 2 goal leads but its not like it was on good cycles by the Avs. Howard can't be blamed for the 1st which was just a good setup but the 2nd was total garbage, he can NEVER let that goal in fivehole with 3-4 seconds to stare the shooter down. Miller let Crosby score because he released the puck before Miller can see he had it. You can't stare a shooter down from 20+ feet away for 2+ seconds and let him nail it fivehole.

All that aside, we clearly outplayed a good Avs team and came out with a regulation win which is a huge success for us. Top lines performing great. Looking forward to the rest of this stretch.

Oh, and that no goal was fucking garbage. Holmstrom is so hated its just disgusting. He was in the paint but who isn't these days? He didn't impede at all.

Franzen has been an absolute BEAST

Kyle
03-02-2010, 01:26 AM
hey guys just checking on your top 6

is it

franzen/dats/holmer
bert/zetts/cleary

just wondering as the wings have a kick ass "off day" schedule from here on in....

That looks about right but any night they don't produce, those lines could change.

Wing's schedule is definitely favorable from here on out. We can win 7/10+

Kyle
03-02-2010, 01:34 AM
Oh, and Lidstrom with 2 points tonight is now at a PPG pace over his last 24 games after starting the season with 13 points in his first 38 games. What an amazing job salvaging what would've been by far the worst season in his career and turning it into simply another ordinarily productive season (He doesn't always get 70+ points, hes not too far below his career average this year). Factor his +20 +/- despite our team barely scoring more goals than we've allowed and you have a really quality season. Not Norris quality as usual, but at 39 hes just incredible.

Lidstrom who at one point was outside the top 40-50 in defenseman scoring is now #9.

Its all thanks to Stuart. If he can't put up his minutes shutting down top players, Lidstrom could not be playing the offensive role hes played the last 30 games. Stuart makes it al possible for him, hes really our unspoken MVP this year (Stuart).

Hockeyis#1
03-02-2010, 05:52 AM
That looks about right but any night they don't produce, those lines could change.

Wing's schedule is definitely favorable from here on out. We can win 7/10+
The games VS Nashville are absolutely crucial, because Dallas, Calgary and Anaheim all have tougher schedules, and if we can pass Nashville and Chicago can pass SJ. The Wings can play the choke artists, give me a good line on the series and make me some extra loot.

a0102030405
03-02-2010, 09:26 PM
why babs doesn't put Z and Franzen together with Cleary is beyond me. They had ridiculous chemistry in the last 2 playoffs.

redwingbill
03-03-2010, 08:33 PM
Zetts ties game vs Van @ 2 in the 2nd period! They are waking up and healthy...LOOK OUT!

Kyle
03-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Yup, I've liked the Wings play here, I'm not dissapointed about that 2nd goal, it was a flukey play for Kronwall. We're looking solid, I like our chances in this last 55 minutes.

redwingbill
03-03-2010, 08:36 PM
WTF Dats in the box?

redwingbill
03-03-2010, 08:38 PM
lol @ Rafalski doing his Fedorov impersonation....

Kyle
03-03-2010, 08:39 PM
WTF Dats in the box?

He comes once a month to make sure his dog's fed :lol:

Kyle
03-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Fucking breakaway, wow. Stupid line change.

redwingbill
03-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Crappppppppppppppp! Cherry picker Wellwood!

redwingbill
03-03-2010, 08:45 PM
Franzen is NASTY!!!

Kyle
03-03-2010, 08:52 PM
This game was not Howard's fault. Poor guy.

27 minutes is a lot of time. Truthfully, I'm more comfortable 2 goals behind over 2 goals ahead entering the third this season.:lol:

redwingbill
03-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Got 2 get the NEXT one!

Kyle
03-03-2010, 09:05 PM
That might be the dagger...Shit goal by Osgood