PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Red Wings Thread - Enough of us here

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

beanz
02-26-2008, 01:29 PM
no rumors AT ALL. i'll be pissed if there are none, they need another scorer badly.

Jake
02-26-2008, 01:31 PM
I actually wanted Feds and the Caps got him real cheap.

chgorman
02-26-2008, 01:32 PM
no rumors AT ALL. i'll be pissed if there are none, they need another scorer badly.

Agreed, I think they need another scorer regardless, but that aside, is Cleary back for the playoffs? that'll certainly help if he is...

beanz
02-26-2008, 01:33 PM
his jaw is broken, so i'd say he could be back, but having had my jaw broken, it takes almost 2 months to get that thing healed, min. if he's back, he'll be a lil weak i think.

chgorman
02-26-2008, 01:43 PM
his jaw is broken, so i'd say he could be back, but having had my jaw broken, it takes almost 2 months to get that thing healed, min. if he's back, he'll be a lil weak i think.

Shitty. Well, at least he should be able to skate while he's healing, as opposed to if it were an ankle sprain or a broken leg or somthing, and he'd have to saty off the ice until completely healed. Hopefully it lets him keep up with his conditioning, cause he was looking like he was in pretty good shape before takin' the puck to the face.

edit: this what they're saying on rotoworld:

Daniel Cleary is expected to be back in the Wings lineup when the playoffs get underway.

"He has a broken jaw," Holland said on Sunday. "He had surgery last night. They (doctors) put in three plates and a bunch of screws. He will have his jaw wired shut for two weeks. He won't be able to skate for four weeks. He should be playing in eight weeks. We do expect him to be ready for the first game of the playoffs." Now Detroit will not feel pressure to make a move via trade, but it does not mean they will necessarily sit completely still either come trade deadline day.
Source: Detroit News (http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080211/SPORTS0103/802110357/1128/SPORTS0103)

Glad to know he'll be back for playoffs. Just too bad he won't be able to skate for the first mth that he's out

WinnipegWingnut
02-26-2008, 02:00 PM
I'm actually relieved we didn't get Federov... the guy makes too much money and really isn't a piece we'd need. Holland said on TSN he is hoping to do something.

On a side note chgor, Burke said he wont be doing any deals, so we shouldn't have to worry about the Ducks getting even better.

I'm hoping we could land Olli Jokinen.

chgorman
02-26-2008, 02:04 PM
I'm actually relieved we didn't get Federov... the guy makes too much money and really isn't a piece we'd need. Holland said on TSN he is hoping to do something.

On a side note chgor, Burke said he wont be doing any deals, so we shouldn't have to worry about the Ducks getting even better.

I'm hoping we could land Olli Jokinen.

That would be sick. Don't really need anther C though, already got WAY too many natural C's, lol. Would rather see Hossa coming our way.

WinnipegWingnut
02-26-2008, 02:06 PM
That would be sick. Don't really need anther C though, already got WAY too many natural C's, lol. Would rather see Hossa coming our way.

Either would be great, but Jokinen with Hudler and Flip would be a pretty fun 2nd line to watch. I think the two youngsters need a vet like that with them.

chgorman
02-26-2008, 02:45 PM
Either would be great, but Jokinen with Hudler and Flip would be a pretty fun 2nd line to watch. I think the two youngsters need a vet like that with them.

Would certainly be interesting, especially since that's 3 natural C's on one line!

As much as I'd love to see it, I'm not sure Ollie or Hossa are the answer, just think we'd have to give WAY too much... what do you guys think about adding a guy like Glen Murray if it didn't cost too much? Can't imagine BOS would ask for much more than a pick or two for him, and if he can stay healthy, we all know he can score goals. He's obviously not the best player avaialble, but he might be the most logical in regards to not having to give too much from the active roster or mortgaging the future too badly to get him.... just a thought.

Guess it also depends on if BOS is planning on making a serious run for/in the playoffs, as they'll probably want to keep him if that's the case.

WinnipegWingnut
02-26-2008, 02:49 PM
I've never been a Murray fan and always felt any success he has had is due to his playmaker centres. Thornton and Savard helped make Glen what he is.

I although like the idea of three natural centers on one line, in playoffs where face offs are so crucial that would be amazing!

chgorman
02-26-2008, 03:06 PM
Holy SHIT! after seeing what PIT had to give for Hossa.... SO glad We didn't get him!

WinnipegWingnut
02-26-2008, 03:09 PM
Holy SHIT! after seeing what PIT had to give for Hossa.... SO glad We didn't get him!

No doubt... not worth it, the Pens got ripped off hard for a guy that they probably wont be able to sign come July 1.

WinnipegWingnut
02-26-2008, 03:15 PM
Well we got Brad Stuart.... :rolleyes:

Edit: Gave up a 2nd and 4th round pick for him

Fighting Moose
02-26-2008, 03:18 PM

Edit: Gave up a 2nd and 4th round pick for him\

Nothing wrong with depth though

WinnipegWingnut
02-26-2008, 03:19 PM
\

Nothing wrong with depth though

Sounds like it's a temp fix until Lidstrom, Rafalski, Chelios and Kronwall are all back. Once they are I'd expect Stuart to be on the 3rd pairing or in the press box.

Fighting Moose
02-26-2008, 03:23 PM
Sounds like it's a temp fix until Lidstrom, Rafalski, Chelios and Kronwall are all back. Once they are I'd expect Stuart to be on the 3rd pairing or in the press box.

I would have to rank him higher than Lilja... remember the awful giveaway to Selanne to end the series last year??

chgorman
02-26-2008, 03:24 PM

Edit: Gave up a 2nd and 4th round pick for him

Awww HELL NO!! Fack!!

Oh well, at least we only had to give picks for him.

Still, woulda expected KEnny to do a little better than that.

Maybe being on a decent team will help his game a lot. DET has a way of making medicore players look a lot better than they actually/already are. Hopefully Lids and Cheli can teach him a few things to help bring his game up to par. Hopefully his game hasn't regressed too badly from being in BOS, LA and CGY that he can't recover.

Anybody know his contract status offhand? Are we gonna be stuck with this douche for more than the rest of the year?

Fighting Moose
02-26-2008, 03:26 PM
I"m matched up against you in week 1 Baseball Wingnut... should be a good old fashioned Manitoba battle!

Spartan
02-26-2008, 03:29 PM
Anybody know his contract status offhand? Are we gonna be stuck with this douche for more than the rest of the year?

He is on a 1yr. deal, no worries there.

On 97.1 they said the deal was 2nd pick this year and 4th pick in the 2009 draft.

WinnipegWingnut
02-26-2008, 03:29 PM
I"m matched up against you in week 1 Baseball Wingnut... should be a good old fashioned Manitoba battle!

Or a shellacking as I don't know too much about baseball other than the Jays.... :lol:

No last minute deals have come up yet for the Wings. Stuart is a good defensive D-man I guess...

Jake
02-26-2008, 08:35 PM
I dont mind this Stuart deal at all. We needed to address our D right now with all of the injuries, and we learned last year what happens in the playoffs when you need a d-man (I really think if Schnieder was healthy we could have taken that series vs. the Ducks). Not a bad deal at all for Detroit... When he got drafted wasnt he supposed to be an impact player??? I am too lazy to look it up, but I thought he was a high draft pick that never panned out.

Hockeyis#1
02-26-2008, 08:38 PM
3rd overall in '98 by San Jose...

Stuart's a good d-man and when all our D comes back (cept Chelios...I hope it's a career ender for him) we'll be solid up and down.

I'dve liked to grab something like the Stillman deal in Ottawa for some offensive depth. Maybe a draft pick and a minor leaguer and we could have gotten Prospal or something...

Jake
02-26-2008, 08:41 PM
I too wouls have liked some more secondary scoring as well... I was really hoping that we kept the cap space open for a big deal like Hossa or Joikenen or something like that

beanz
02-26-2008, 11:03 PM
this is gettin REAL bad... 2-0 vs EDM.... Samuelsson just blows....

beanz
02-26-2008, 11:03 PM
SCRATCH THAT!!! 2-1, wings back in it... for now!

beanz
02-26-2008, 11:04 PM
but secondary scoring was needed. i think they feel that once all the D are back that that will make up for the scoring, or lack there of. some sort of spark needs to be lit, as Dallas came back to win tonight and the West isnt gonna be so easy to win now.

studleydudley2004
02-26-2008, 11:21 PM
freakin snipe by dats!!! and props to ericsson for his 1st nhl goal

beanz
02-26-2008, 11:30 PM
yea, ericsson is gonna be a solid D in the future. hold on to this win boys!! you need it badly....biting my nails here....

beanz
02-26-2008, 11:31 PM
fuckkkkkkkkk.................

studleydudley2004
02-26-2008, 11:32 PM
god damnnnn it! stupid ass delay of game penalty!!

Jake
02-27-2008, 12:02 AM
Hudler needs to get back on his game... Even his shootout attempt was for shit. I think we should try Filp in a shootout. Every game he is looking more and more like a young Zetts out there. I see great things in him

chgorman
02-27-2008, 10:42 AM
I know most of you guys watched it, so you probably already know all these things I'm about to say, but here's my report:

They looked lost again for the first 2 periods last night. Watching the current D makes me cringe. They had 5... 5!!!! guys standing in front of the net on the 1st EDM goal, not a single one of em picked up the passer OR the trailer, just stood in front like statues. Ridiculous. Even Stuart is going to be a big improvement over the current corps, at least until the big 3 and Cheli are back.

I know you guys like Ericsson, and I'll cut him some slack and not TOTALLY rip into him since it was only his 3rd NHL game and he DID score a nice goal, but he looked HORRID last night IMO, particularily on the Sanderson goal. I realize Sanderson has jets, and at one time was considered one of, if not the fastest player in the league, but Ericsson's positioning on that rush was ridiculous, and his effort to slow him down was non-existent. Not saying the kid's gotta play with Lids like precision, but he's gotta make a better effort to at least get in the way, or tie the guy up or something, even if means he's gotta take a penalty. I noticed a number of other gaffes by him in the game last night, but none were nearly as glaring as his play (or lack thereof) on that goal, which I guess is a good thing (that the other gaffes weren't as glaring), but I was not impressed with him at all, nor was I the last game. He'll def need some time to adjust his timing to the NHL game, so by no means am I suggesting they bench him/dump him, etc, and even if he only turns out to be a 5th or 6th D down the road, that's still pretty solid considering he was the final pick in the draft the year he was drafted, I just really hope he makes the necessary adjustments sooner rather than later, as he going to continue to look bad and get burned regularily and hurt the team if they have to keep him up much longer and he doesn't make the necessary adjustments. Maybe you guys saw somthing last night that I didn't, but I was not impressed. One or two bad plays - no big deal. But I saw him make noticeable mistakes just about every other shift, mistakes he probably shouldn't be making if he wants to earn a full time spot and make an impact with this team.

Ericsson wasn't the only one, the rest of the D was less than stellar as well, he was just the one I noticed most. Luckily Ozzie was back there playing stellar to save their asses numerous times.

Never seen the PP look so bad. It hurts to watch. Not having Lids OR Rafalski OR even Kron back there takes them from a scary team on the PP to medicore at best, I'd even venture to toss around the word embarrasing. God, I hope we get Raffy and/or Kron back by Fri. They're gonna be sorely needed vs. SJ. hopefully Stuart can provide some help on the PP, cause they need it!

Fuck you Lilja. Fuck you. What a fucking dumbass. The Wings needed this win, and you fucked the whole team over with that penalty in the dying minutes, up by one. What a tool. Can't wait to get Lids, Raffy, Kron and Cheli back, and get Stuart into the mix, so that they can nail this jackass to the bench, or better yet, the pressbox (waivers anybody? lol).

Game wasn't as bad as I'm making it out to be - Garon was STELLAR, so it wasn't like th eWings were horrible all night - I'm probably just bitter. Great to see them come back with 3 straight in the 3rd and take the lead with 2 mins left after being down 2-0 after 2, but to give up that goal with 20 secs left had to be disheartening, I know it was for me.

Lookin' forward to the game Fri vs. SJ, then actually going to the game Sun in BUF. Hopefully they look better than they did for the 1st two periods last night, otherwise SJ is gonna rape them, and BUF shouldn't have too much trouble either. Anybody you guys want me to keep a particular eye on when I'm at the BUF game?

WinnipegWingnut
02-27-2008, 12:33 PM
Well we knew missing our top 4 D-men would hurt, and the defensive breakdowns I'm hearing prove that (didn't see the game, just highlights). Ozzy looked to be standing on his head unless TSN just showed only the good stuff. I think 3 of his saves were HON candidates... ridiculous.

It's amazing how everything lacks when Lidstrom is out. Hopefully Stuart plays Friday and one of the four are back at least.

Keep our chin up though Wing fans.... it will get much better going forward!

Hockeyis#1
02-27-2008, 01:33 PM
Keep our chin up though Wing fans.... it will get much better going forward!

It sure as fuck can't get much worse. I don't think I've seen us look sloppier in our own end in a long time. We looked drunk out there at times.

chgorman
02-27-2008, 01:39 PM
It sure as fuck can't get much worse. I don't think I've seen us look sloppier in our own end in a long time. We looked drunk out there at times.

And that's putting it nicely! :lol:

beanz
02-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Ozzie WAS stellar, no question. these D guys fillin in are young, and they will be subject to mistakes, no question about it. Yes Lilja was a dumbass for that last minute penalty but shit happens unfortunately. Stuart is expected to play Fri and i think Rafalski is supposed to be back too, he was shown in morning practice skating just fine and they said unless otherwise noted he should be 90-99% ready. Cheli shouldnt be out much longer either.

I do not mind Quincy out there, he has been REAL good with the sudden handing of the D to him, especially on the PP. He took 8 shots last night, and i thinked logged one of the most if not top ice times on the team. Although the lack of wins, i am glad these young guys are getting NHL experience regardless if it is without the veteran players they would normally have helping them. I think the Wings are going to be real solid in the next couple years with these guys replacing the older guys. They aren't ready now, but they are DEF very promising. Its tough to watch, but once healthy, this team is again one of if not still the best in the league. Hang in there Wings fans, its not always a smooth ride during the season, and this will only make the team that much better and stronger for a deep playoff run!

WinnipegWingnut
02-27-2008, 04:38 PM
Quincy I don't mind... he is young and will make some mistakes though, but remember he did play in the playoffs last year after Schnieder was hurt, so he doesn't have the big league jitters like the other rooks.

Edit: Whats the latest on Darren Mac? I heard a 2 week stint with the Griffins? I guess he fought in both games last weekend vs. the Moose and got beat up pretty good.

beanz
02-27-2008, 05:02 PM
Quincy I don't mind... he is young and will make some mistakes though, but remember he did play in the playoffs last year after Schnieder was hurt, so he doesn't have the big league jitters like the other rooks.

Edit: Whats the latest on Darren Mac? I heard a 2 week stint with the Griffins? I guess he fought in both games last weekend vs. the Moose and got beat up pretty good.

yea, i think he's on another conditioning stint with the Griffins, will be about 14 days or so? something like that. will be up prob early/mid March

Hockeyis#1
02-27-2008, 06:24 PM
It's getting to the point now where I want us to be getting ready for playoffs and finding that A+ game. This losing thing isn't a tragedy, but at this point in the season I'd like us to be thinking preparation for April, not help the kids develop...

beanz
02-27-2008, 06:46 PM
It's getting to the point now where I want us to be getting ready for playoffs and finding that A+ game. This losing thing isn't a tragedy, but at this point in the season I'd like us to be thinking preparation for April, not help the kids develop...

prepping for playoffs is already happening, there is no need to worry. The kids are developing, yes, but they have PLENTY of time to get healthy and get their A+ game on. I, as well as every other avid Wings fan, should trust the team and let them do their thing without being so critical. its painful to watch right now b/c of their long season success, but dont think that they wont return to form by playoffs. Players like Lids, Cheli, and Rafalski know how to work the playoffs and could return one week b4 and things would be fine. Trust their leadership and experience. They'll be fine. (even if they dont win the cup, they'll put on a good show, no more lapses in the playoffs)

chgorman
02-27-2008, 06:46 PM

Agreed. I'd rather them get this slump outta their systems now rather than the playoffs, and get back on the horse and start gearing up for the important games.

beanz
02-27-2008, 09:45 PM
Agreed. I'd rather them get this slump outta their systems now rather than the playoffs, and get back on the horse and start gearing up for the important games.

I'm pretty sure they're thinking the SAME thing. i'm sure they are just LOVING this slump and the fact that they can give experience to their young players. They are trying, and it will come, just be patient as a fan. You cant be win win win all season long, there has to be a break here or there, better now than late march/beginning of playoffs.

Kyle
02-27-2008, 10:02 PM
I'm pretty sure they're thinking the SAME thing. i'm sure they are just LOVING this slump and the fact that they can give experience to their young players. They are trying, and it will come, just be patient as a fan. You cant be win win win all season long, there has to be a break here or there, better now than late march/beginning of playoffs.

Definitely. Anyone legitly concerned for the Wing's chances this year is a dumbass. They're going to be so much better than the team the last 10 games by the time the playoffs roll around, it just doesn't matter what happens now.

chgorman
02-28-2008, 11:15 AM
Yeah, sorry guys, got a little wound up yesterday morning, Wings didn't NEED to win that game by any means, just woulda been nice. Woulda been a nice confidence booster if they had've been able to come back from down 2-0 going into the 3rd to secure the win.

Overreacted cause I bothered to stay up to watch the whole thing, saw the comeboack, then was pissed more at the WAY they lost, moreso than just the fact that they lost. Was just cranky from missing out on a couple hours sleep only to see them lose like that. I'll try and keep it under control from now on, lol.

I still have full confidence that they can beat any team in the league come playoff time, and happy that they're getitng the slump outta their systems now as opposed to later.

WinnipegWingnut
02-28-2008, 12:04 PM
Yeah I wouldn't fret, we're missing our top 4 D-men, any team in the NHL missing that would be hurting as well. Imagine Anaheim missing Pronger, Nieds, Schnieder and Beuch? They'd be "sitting ducks" (I know cheesy).

We'll turn it around once the troops recover, and it should be just in time for the playoffs!

Hockeyis#1
02-28-2008, 02:29 PM
How's our attendance doing so far this year? I know the Detroit economy has been shit and it was affecting our numbers...just wanted to know if that was still the case...

WinnipegWingnut
02-28-2008, 02:33 PM
How's our attendance doing so far this year? I know the Detroit economy has been shit and it was affecting our numbers...just wanted to know if that was still the case...

Out of curiousity I do check NHL attendances from time to time in the paper (like seeing the struggling markets with low attendance as I want my Jets back! :lol:), and have noticed Detroit is starting to sell out some games, but usuallu around the 18,000 mark plus.

chgorman
02-28-2008, 02:35 PM
I think announced attendance is significantly better than actual asses in the seats, lol. I've heard from various ppl (guys here, family/friends who have been to games at the Joe) that there's lots of empty seats.

Lousy economy, high ticket prices, and lack of decent North American talent are probably all factors. I don't think it's a crisis by any means, we still probably draw better than half the teams in the league, but I think a drop in ticket prices would help, as well as a new building (I love the Joe, but it's old school now compared to every other building in the league aside from maybe Mellon)

edit: just checked, ESPN has the Wings 7th in avg attendance per gm, but only 93% 'fill rate' (worst of the top 10)

My question is, how is it possible that some teams (CGY, BUF) have a 112% fill rate? is the extra 12% from standing room or somthing?

Hockeyis#1
02-28-2008, 02:42 PM
My question is, how is it possible that some teams (CGY, BUF) have a 112% fill rate? is the extra 12% from standing room or somthing?

As far as I know that's it...

I don't think the lack of NA talent has anything to do with it. It's just ticket prices and the economy.

So much for our sweet sellout streak...

WinnipegWingnut
02-28-2008, 02:43 PM

Yep... standing room, I've noticed in the paper that Calgary, Ottawa and Minny are always over capacity.

chgorman
02-28-2008, 03:05 PM
As far as I know that's it...

I don't think the lack of NA talent has anything to do with it. It's just ticket prices and the economy.

So much for our sweet sellout streak...

You don't think a few more US and/or Cdn born players (good ones) would help draw a few more fans? I can't see how it wouldn't create at least a little more interest in the team.

I mean, I love Dats, Zetts, Lids, etc, but TBH, they're dull as fuck, very little personality, heck, Dats can still barely speak English and the guy has been around for what, 6, 7 yrs now? And that's aside from the fact that I think most of us would rather watch NA talent over Euro talent if given the choice, all things being equal, regardless of personality. I realize personality should have very little to do with who you cheer for, but my point being that I think the fairweather fans would likely be more attracted to seeing/watching a fiery NA talent who can speak the language and give good interviews over a 'foreigner' (for lack of a better term) who struggles with the language and/or lacks personality. Ppl obviously love watching AO on and off the ice, but I think he's the exception to the rule. I just think being able to identify with the athletes is something that helps drive interest in them, and it's a lot easier for those of us on this side of the planet to identifiy
with those from the same area, who speak the same language, maybe grew up in the same areas as we did, etc.

Look at the Wings' roster - half are Euros. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think if more of the team was home grown talent, there may be more interest from the fans who are on the bubble. The hardcore fans will always be there unless they can't afford it, it's the casual fan who may just need that extra little bit of interest in the team in order to convnce them to go, I'm just not sure havng a bunch of guys who the casual fan can't identify with helps the issue.

Not being racist towards Euros, it's just kinda the way it is.

Then again, NJ has a ton of American born talent, and they can't come close to filling the building, so maybe you're right, :lol:

WinnipegWingnut
02-28-2008, 03:14 PM
We should have traded the Leafs for Wade Belak if we wanted a good "talker" for the media to attract fans... :lol:

I think the loss of Stevie Y and Shanny hurt the fairweather fans, moreso Shanny as he was ALWAYS doing interviews and was so good with the mike. If they would interview Chelios more, he'd be a good guy to put in front of the camera for the hometown fans. As long as he doesn't put his foot into his mouth, haha.

eykwingnut
02-28-2008, 08:12 PM
Then again, NJ has a ton of American born talent, and they can't come close to filling the building, so maybe you're right, :lol:
that has to do with how long they have been a franchise coupled with their location, and their reputation for "boring hockey",

Jake
02-28-2008, 10:32 PM
Its just the economy (although the Tigers will sell out, but they have cheaper tickets, its summer, and lets face it- Its about time the Tigers competitive and started bringing in big names, its like a new thing to fairweather fans). To go out to a Wings game is not cheap, and all of the good seats are taken by companies who give tickets to peopel who never go to the games.

Havlat... I mean Kronwall is now off the IR

eykwingnut
02-29-2008, 07:30 AM
Its just the economy (although the Tigers will sell out, but they have cheaper tickets, its summer, and lets face it- Its about time the Tigers competitive and started bringing in big names, its like a new thing to fairweather fans). To go out to a Wings game is not cheap, and all of the good seats are taken by companies who give tickets to peopel who never go to the games.

Havlat... I mean Kronwall is now off the IR
we should start calling kronwall, kronlat.

i hear u on that fairweather stuff. all these girl friends that i have that i didnt think knew sports existed went ass wild for the pistons. now they are all going wild for the tigers.

WinnipegWingnut
02-29-2008, 08:32 AM
Yeah I never did think of that, maybe the Wings have a hard time attracting fans because all the other Detroit teams are finally doing decent!

The Tigers are finally winning, the Lions had a chance at making playoffs for the first time in years, the Pistons are still pretty good.... couple that with the NHL lock out and I can see how the Wings lost some fans. We're finally not the only winning ticket in town.

Jake
02-29-2008, 01:58 PM
we should start calling kronwall, kronlat.

i hear u on that fairweather stuff. all these girl friends that i have that i didnt think knew sports existed went ass wild for the pistons. now they are all going wild for the tigers.

I know a lot of people who are the same way. Now they have season tickets and the works for the Tigers, but probably dont even know who Higgy or Fick were (Ignorance is bliss in this case).

Remember when you used to get 5 dollar tickets to the Tigers in the REAL shitty seats and just walk in and go sit wherever you wanted??? I used to do that all the time with my friends. The Tigers usually got throttled and the game was pretty much over by the fourth inning, but we would just get hammered and have a blast

eykwingnut
02-29-2008, 03:26 PM
I know a lot of people who are the same way. Now they have season tickets and the works for the Tigers, but probably dont even know who Higgy or Fick were (Ignorance is bliss in this case).

Remember when you used to get 5 dollar tickets to the Tigers in the REAL shitty seats and just walk in and go sit wherever you wanted??? I used to do that all the time with my friends. The Tigers usually got throttled and the game was pretty much over by the fourth inning, but we would just get hammered and have a blast
i forget how far we got in the playoffs a couple years ago but we were pretty deep and a bunch of girls asked me if my buddy and i wanted to go to the bar and watch the tigers. we said f*ck no, the wings are on.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-29-2008, 08:08 PM
go sharks!

whether you all are banged up or not, my boys need a W on Detroit ice tonight.. gotta build some confidence against them!

plus I need Nabs to get me a win in fantasy damn it heheheh

eykwingnut
02-29-2008, 08:26 PM
go sharks!

whether you all are banged up or not, my boys need a W on Detroit ice tonight.. gotta build some confidence against them!

plus I need Nabs to get me a win in fantasy damn it heheheh
dont worry, we forgot how to put the puck in the net.

Hockeyis#1
02-29-2008, 09:38 PM
You HAVE to be shitting me about that last goal...

San Jose9:17, Devin Setoguchi 11 (power play) (The FUCKING SAFETY NETTING, Craig Rivet)

mrtybrodur30
02-29-2008, 09:47 PM
You HAVE to be shitting me about that last goal...

San Jose9:17, Devin Setoguchi 11 (power play) (The FUCKING SAFETY NETTING, Craig Rivet)i didnt see it hit the net, nobody else did either ;)

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-29-2008, 09:55 PM
I didn't see the puck hit the net and there were no replays or views of the puck hitting the net either.. good goal imo, simply for that reason. did you guys getting a red wings broadcast actually see the puck hit the net? B/c we didn't get one.

Nice win by the Sharks, big win, we needed it.

Hockeyis#1
02-29-2008, 09:56 PM
i didnt see it hit the net, nobody else did either ;)

How is that NOT a reviewable call? :mad:

mrtybrodur30
02-29-2008, 09:58 PM
well im happy with the win, and we stretch our winning streak to 4. Also like sponge said we get a big win to help confidence even though the wings werent at full strength but i didnt like that third period at all, most of the time it was like lets see how long we can hold off detroit from scoring. they need to change that and keep attacking.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-29-2008, 09:59 PM
How is that NOT a reviewable call? :mad:

that kinda confused me as well. the refs were kinda discussing it for a second and then moved on deciding it wasn't reviewable, but I am not sure of the rule as to why ???

mrtybrodur30
02-29-2008, 09:59 PM
How is that NOT a reviewable call? :mad:thats what i always say when im watching the nfl lol

eykwingnut
02-29-2008, 10:08 PM
thats what i always say when im watching the nfl lol
ya that type of thing ALWAYS happens in the nfl.

the puck hit the netting but o well. when it rains it poors.

Hockeyis#1
02-29-2008, 10:14 PM
that kinda confused me as well. the refs were kinda discussing it for a second and then moved on deciding it wasn't reviewable, but I am not sure of the rule as to why ???

:confused:
I don't know.

I feel a "magic puck" theory coming on here

If this were like a 7-2 game and this was the goal that makes it 8-2 or 7-3, I wouldn't care. But like in the Anaheim game (when Holmer got called for farting on Giggy as he let up the GTG) this WAS the clinching goal and it made an immediate difference on who won and lost. That's why gets me so steamed...

chgorman
02-29-2008, 10:59 PM
i didnt see it hit the net, nobody else did either ;)

How did ALL FOUR refs miss that call? Brutal

I didn't see the puck hit the net and there were no replays or views of the puck hitting the net either.. good goal imo, simply for that reason. did you guys getting a red wings broadcast actually see the puck hit the net? B/c we didn't get one.

Nice win by the Sharks, big win, we needed it.

Of course you didn't get one on the SJ feed, lol. Yes, the guys in the DET production truck took the HD broadcast (which is wider, so you can see more), and you can clearly see the netting above the glass bulge where the puck hits it. Nice work by the DET production crew.

Plus, the puck RARELY bounces off the glass like it did on a regular shot/save/deflection. Normally it would come off the glass with a lot more speed. The fact that it just softly dropped in front of the net should have tipped the refs off that it bounced off the netting.

Regardless, good game by both sides. Pisses me off to lose a game like that, but it happens. Not the end of the world. On a positive note, both Kron and Stuart looked pretty good. I'm slowly coming around on the Stuart trade.

beanz
03-01-2008, 12:52 AM
terrible terrible goal, pissed as all hell and can't believe that isn't reviewable...but alas, chgor is right, not the end of the world. two teams in need of wins, its always a lucky break/bounce that goes to one team and leaves the other baffled/confused/angry, tonight unfortunately it was the Wings. tough game to lose, hopefully they will remember how to score soon. its getting REAL brutal not getting more than 1-2 goals a game now.

Hockeyis#1
03-01-2008, 01:19 AM
Plus, the puck RARELY bounces off the glass like it did on a regular shot/save/deflection. Normally it would come off the glass with a lot more speed.

It also makes a rather distinct noise when it hits the glass

On a positive note, both Kron and Stuart looked pretty good. I'm slowly coming around on the Stuart trade.

Stuart did look good as did Kronwall. Fillpula looked sloppy when it came to forechecking and playing D.

chicagohockey
03-01-2008, 10:14 AM
I didn't watch the whole game, but the wings look sloppy in the neutral zone. Moving backwards alot in the neural zone when they were struggling, and then they would just dump the puck in.

Hockeyis#1
03-01-2008, 11:53 AM
We looked so much better after that BS goal...but for the most part we couldn't get anything going in terms of cycling or carrying it into the offensive zone. Dump and Chase is not our game...

Hockeyis#1
03-02-2008, 09:15 PM
For as sloppy as our defensive zone passing was, we played about as dominant a game as I've seen in a while

chgorman
03-03-2008, 10:25 AM
For as sloppy as our defensive zone passing was, we played about as dominant a game as I've seen in a while

Yep, I was at the game, and BUF got owned in the first period. Puck was barely even in DET's end. I think SOG were like 18-7 after the 1st or something. They coulda only cleaned the ice in BUF's end after the 1st and woulda been fine. barely a skate mark in DET's end.

BUF tightened up a bit in the 2nd and 3rd, but Wings still carried most of the play. Nice to see some nice tic-tac-toe goals by the Wings, some sweet plays!

2nd goal by BUF was kinda BS, play shoulda been stopped, penalties called, but whatever, no biggie. Wings really clamped down after that, and Maltby's 2nd was a laser to go up 4-2. Overall, pretty solid win, Kron looked good, as did Franzen. Stuart was pretty much invisible, but that may be a good thing, as although it means he didn't do much offensively, it also means he didn't make to many (any) defensive mistakes either. Vanek was invisible all game. Afin was flyin around like a madman out there, but couldn't really generate much on his own.

Rafalski supposed to be back Wed. Hopefully we can get on a bit of a winning streak here.

WinnipegWingnut
03-03-2008, 04:29 PM
Didn't see the game, but based on the score sheet and highlights it looks like the support cast really stepped up! Good to see!

Hockeyis#1
03-03-2008, 07:47 PM
Yep, I was at the game

Fuck I knew I should have said something....I was in section 108 with an extra ticket....:banghead:

WinnipegWingnut
03-04-2008, 09:04 AM
Fuck I knew I should have said something....I was in section 108 with an extra ticket....:banghead:

And I hear chgor loves to buy beers for his buds at the rink... double head banger! hahahaha

chgorman
03-04-2008, 09:09 AM

Really? Shit, I was in 111! 15 rows up, middle of the row! Directly behind Hasek. Great seats!

Woulda been nice to meet, have a :beer: or 10, :lol:. If I'm ever in at the HSBC again for a game, I'll let ya know. You go often?

Hockeyis#1
03-04-2008, 11:25 AM
No that was my first game since I moved here, although I'm leaning toward going Wednesday VS Washington...

I'm also 20, so beer isn't really an option

Here at HI we do such a good fucking job of networking...:lol:

studleydudley2004
03-04-2008, 02:37 PM
No that was my first game since I moved here, although I'm leaning toward going Wednesday VS Washington...

I'm also 20, so beer isn't really an option

Here at HI we do such a good fucking job of networking...:lol:

yeah, but a couple cold ones and a pint in the parking lot is hahaha

WinnipegWingnut
03-05-2008, 06:09 PM
Figured I would throw out the ole Happy Birthday to eykwingnut in here!

Happy Birthday bud! :beer:

chgorman
03-06-2008, 10:33 AM
Another dominant win last night. STL couldn't get anything going. If it wasn't for Lilja tipping the puck into his own net, probably woulda been a shutout for Dom. Nice to see Rafalski back in the lineup, sweet snipe by him. Woulda liked to have seen Downey tear a stip offa somebody after the cheap shot on Kopecky, but I guess there's no sense in inciting a riot with 20 secs left. Probably woulda just earned him a suspension and Babs a fine, so probably best that he laid off on clocking somebody.

WinnipegWingnut
03-06-2008, 12:07 PM
Yep, we looked a helluva lot better lastnight, nice to see our big guns back firing, although it was nice seeing Flip and Franzen carry the team last game.

Lidstrom is supposedly going to be back Sunday! We're rebounding at the right time!

Sunday! Sunday! Sunday! We'll sell you the whole seat at the Joe, but you'll only need the edge! hahahahaha

beanz
03-06-2008, 12:45 PM
wasnt able to watch the game b/c of work, but it is nice to see everyone is gettin back at the right time. Sounds like a solidly played game, and looks like the dominant team of most of the season might be rearing its head back around. GO WINGS!!

eykwingnut
03-06-2008, 03:59 PM
Figured I would throw out the ole Happy Birthday to eykwingnut in here!

Happy Birthday bud! :beer:
hey thanks! i went to the griffins game last night for my birthday since i was in grand rapids. got to see d-macs last game there before he joins the big boys, he looked like garbage haha. anyways im glad i have DVR so i can watch that wings -v- blues game that i missed. thanks again for the b-day wishes!:beer:

WinnipegWingnut
03-06-2008, 04:33 PM
hey thanks! i went to the griffins game last night for my birthday since i was in grand rapids. got to see d-macs last game there before he joins the big boys, he looked like garbage haha. anyways im glad i have DVR so i can watch that wings -v- blues game that i missed. thanks again for the b-day wishes!:beer:

Did McCarty fight?? He apparently got beat up good both nights he was here playing the Moose. Unless of course the local paper was being bias... haha

eykwingnut
03-07-2008, 10:22 AM
Did McCarty fight?? He apparently got beat up good both nights he was here playing the Moose. Unless of course the local paper was being bias... haha
no, he didnt fight. he looked like ass.

Hockeyis#1
03-07-2008, 02:59 PM
no, he didnt fight. he looked like ass.

Just what we need! more slow guys that suck...:rolleyes:

Zamboners
03-11-2008, 06:09 PM
The Red Wings have signed forward Dan Cleary to a five-year contract extension, the club just announced.
link: http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2008/03/wings_sign_cleary_for_5_years.html

MrScientist
03-11-2008, 06:58 PM
The Red Wings have signed forward Dan Cleary to a five-year contract extension, the club just announced.
link: http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2008/03/wings_sign_cleary_for_5_years.html

:yes: Would've been a shocker if they let him walk, not a bad price either :yes:

chgorman
03-11-2008, 08:34 PM
Nice signing, I like it!

Wings look damn strong tonight vs CHI, despite the low score.

chicagohockey
03-11-2008, 08:54 PM
Nice signing, I like it!

Wings look damn strong tonight vs CHI

Crawford is a stud.

chgorman
03-11-2008, 08:57 PM
Crawford is a stud.

fo' sho', he's kept 'em in the game all game.

chicagohockey
03-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Nice play by Franzen to interupt that pass.

chgorman
03-11-2008, 09:09 PM
Nice play by Franzen to interupt that pass.

yeah,franzenstein has been pretty good for the past 4 or 5 games, hopefully he keeps it up into the playoffs, as the Wings defintiely need the secondary scoring.

two24four
03-11-2008, 10:00 PM
The Cleary signing is a good signing, he's a good role player for them, I see he has a no-trade clause for the first 3 1/2 years.

chgorman
03-11-2008, 10:12 PM
The Cleary signing is a good signing, he's a good role player for them, I see he has a no-trade clause for the first 3 1/2 years.

If he can continue to score 20-30 every year and continue to rpovide the grit we need, I'll be ecstatic with this contract, regardless of the NTC. Kenny H does it again!!

He got the call about the contract during an interview with FSN DET, which was kinda funny, but he looked pretty good. No sign of any jaw issues by outside appearance. Good sign.

beanz
03-11-2008, 11:40 PM
well, regardless of Crawford standing on his head tonight, the Wings were able to squeak out the win. They are gettin healthy and back in shape, and it aint gonna look good for teams come playoffs again. Opposing goalies might be able to take 1-2 games in a series but facing 35-40+ shots each game? Faced with a stiffling defense? Teams wont last long (hopefully!) Keep on rollin Detroit!!

WinnipegWingnut
03-12-2008, 10:47 AM
Crawford kept the Hawks in that one big time.... I'm liking what I see from the Wings though!

Solid deal in getting Cleary re-signed. He really has pushed his ego to the side and accepted whatever role Babcock asks him to play. Solid team played and glad to see he'll be a Wing for a while!

Hockeyis#1
03-12-2008, 07:53 PM
I've heard Crawford isn't a consistent goalie, because if he could play like that frequently, I think the Hawks would be out of the basement.

We obviously can't expect to shell 35+ shots @ Anaheim or Dallas...atleast I don't. They're a much better defensive team than the ones we've been playing.

Jake
03-13-2008, 07:22 PM
Larry Murphys hair is cracking me up during the intermission reports. A female friend of mine pointed it out to me and now I cant stop laughing every time I see him. I like the Cleary signing, it is cheap secondary scoring, just what the wings need

Dubz
03-13-2008, 09:18 PM
Well the wings are scoring again and judging by the 19 SOG allowed the D, or team D, is playing better. The leafs had 21 shots in the 3rd period alone the other night vs, philly

What happened with Ribiero....I see he got a 10 minute Misconduct at 19:01 of the third.

Very nice signing for a character guy like Cleary.....I wish the leafs could do shit like that.

WinnipegWingnut
03-14-2008, 07:56 AM
Solid win over a definitel cup contender!!! The guys are back playing well!

First team to clinch a playoff spot..... BOOYA!

chgorman
03-14-2008, 08:13 AM
First team since the Habs of the late '70s/early '80s to have 8 consecutive seasons of 100 pts or more in the standings (an NHL record), and I don't see that streak stopping next year either.

two24four
03-14-2008, 09:31 AM
Wings have the longest streak going right now of all the 4 major pro sports leagues with 17 straight years making the playoffs.

chgorman
03-14-2008, 09:58 AM
Wings have the longest streak going right now of all the 4 major pro sports leagues with 17 straight years making the playoffs.

I also don't see that streak ending anytime soon either (although ti kinda goes hand in hand with the 100pts or more streak). Good to be a DET fan. Really easy to cheer for a team that is as committed to winning as the Wings org is. Mike Illitch has got to be considered one of the best - if not THE best - owners in sports.

beanz
03-14-2008, 04:12 PM
yea, it really is great to be a Wings fan, no questions about it. gotta just love how they hang in there and keep chuggin thru thick and thin, each and every year. they dont let past failures (especially last few seasons) slow them down ever it seems. they build and build and always seem to make the right choices when finding players, although me and my roomie both agree that Maltby is gettin a LIIIITTLE too old haha. love the guy, love the wings!

chgorman
03-15-2008, 11:32 AM
yea, it really is great to be a Wings fan, no questions about it. gotta just love how they hang in there and keep chuggin thru thick and thin, each and every year. they dont let past failures (especially last few seasons) slow them down ever it seems. they build and build and always seem to make the right choices when finding players, although me and my roomie both agree that Maltby is gettin a LIIIITTLE too old haha. love the guy, love the wings!

Yeah, he's def getting up there, but there's still valuable aspects to his game that the Wings need - great on the PK, solid defensively, good at drawing penalties, isn't afraid to mix it up a bit. I think you're right though, age is catching up to him. I don't remeber him having the type of injury issues earlier in his career that he's been having these days. The grind must be catching up to him. But as far as I'm concerned as long as he can still do those things mentioned above at a high level, I'll take him on the Wings any day.

beanz
03-15-2008, 08:43 PM
love the fact we are still playoff bound, no less than a 3 seed lol....honesty will say that no less than the 1 seed. tonight is a loss but who cares, things are still startin to fall back into place...

Hockeyis#1
03-16-2008, 12:09 AM
I still haven't seen us play a solid defensive 60 minute game with no big slipups since our losing skid. Not that it's major or anything, but it'd be nice to see....we're still a little sloppy looking coming out of our own end through the neutral zone...

fuji9991
03-17-2008, 05:38 PM
Anyone know if Holmstrom will play tomorrow? I know he is getting better but I need a start tomorrow.
I wonder if I should even bother. With wings all but wrapping up president's trophy there is no need to rush him back in and even if they play him he could see limited time.

WinnipegWingnut
03-17-2008, 08:25 PM
I could see the wings giving him extra rest for playoffs.

Jake
03-20-2008, 08:53 PM
Is Nashville the new Avs??? I want to see Downey feed Weber his teeth in the third

beanz
03-20-2008, 11:07 PM
HAHAHA!!! MALTBY!!! EMPTY NET AND HE HITS THE POST 5FT AWAY FROM IT!! the guy couldnt buy a goal if he wanted! gotta love em!! :lol::lol: his reaction to Dats after he scored from center ice was priceless

eykwingnut
03-21-2008, 07:45 AM
Is Nashville the new Avs??? I want to see Downey feed Weber his teeth in the third
IMO they have been the new Avs for a couple years now.

DarkValiant
03-22-2008, 03:24 AM
I just was looking at the standings and a few stats. As of right now
3/22/08 Detroit has both the most Goals For and the least Goals Against as a team. 238 GF and 169 goals against. A 69 goal difference. No other team even comes close right now.

I wonder when the last time a team finished #1 in both GF and GA?

Hockeyis#1
03-26-2008, 08:21 PM
Good to see that the Avs and Wings are looking to line it up in the 1st round....

WinnipegWingnut
03-27-2008, 09:04 AM
Good to see that the Avs and Wings are looking to line it up in the 1st round....

I'm a hoping for it!!! How ironic that they get Foote and Forsberg back, and we get Darren mac back.... almost like we were back in the 90's... :lol:

Hockeyis#1
03-27-2008, 08:29 PM
I'd be happy to play either Nashville or Colorado in the 1st round....

In some sick demeanor we could end up playing both if Colorado finishes 6th and beats Minny in the 1st round and we beat Nashville in the 1st then play Colorado in the 2nd round...

Jake
03-27-2008, 08:51 PM
I'm a hoping for it!!! How ironic that they get Foote and Forsberg back, and we get Darren mac back.... almost like we were back in the 90's... :lol:

He should be in the lineup friday

Hockeyis#1
03-30-2008, 01:55 AM
He should be in the lineup friday

replacing who?

Jake
03-30-2008, 12:06 PM
He replaced Downey... Not a fan of thisw comeback thing, I dont think he will be the D-Mac of old. Everybody is hyping him up, but I dont see him being an impact player or even dressing in a lot of playoff games. Nashville tonight, I love thses games vs. them

chgorman
03-30-2008, 12:51 PM
I don't understand why they don't dress both? DMac on the 3rd line and Downey on the 4th makes for a pretty solid, physical bottom two lines, who won't be afraid to mix it up. There's enough skill on the top two lines, I don't see why they couldn't do this. It would definitely make them tougher to play against IMO. I'd rather have Downie in there over a guy like Helm or Hartigan. MAybe with Sammy possibly being out, Downie might draw back in for today's game.

Anybody know if Tootoo is playing? Last I heard he hurt his back a few games ago...?

Spartan
04-03-2008, 01:21 PM
Abdelkader has signed with the Wings and could play against C-Bus. Nice signing he will be missed in East Lansing his play really elevated and this was his breakout year. I really think he could be a popular Red Wing. He is from Michigan, a former Mr. Hockey award winner. Scored the GWG with 18 secs. to go to win the National Title last year for MSU. Hearing he will wear #8 for the Wings, he wears #9 at MSU obviously that's not available.
http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2008/04/03_abdelkader.php

chicagohockey
04-03-2008, 08:43 PM
I'd be happy to play either Nashville or Colorado in the 1st round....

In some sick demeanor we could end up playing both if Colorado finishes 6th and beats Minny in the 1st round and we beat Nashville in the 1st then play Colorado in the 2nd round...

I think the ideal situation is the Hawks make the playoffs and the Hawks and the wings play in the first round kinda old school : ).

If the Hawks don't I kinda want to see the SHarks play the Preds so the teams can have a rematch of last year's first round match up. Then Colorado finishes 7th and the wings and the Avs go at it.

(Go Hawks and go St. Louis tonight!)

mrtybrodur30
04-03-2008, 08:54 PM
I think the ideal situation is the Hawks make the playoffs and the Hawks and the wings play in the first round kinda old school : ).

If the Hawks don't I kinda want to see the SHarks play the Preds so the teams can have a rematch of last year's first round match up. Then Colorado finishes 7th and the wings and the Avs go at it.

(Go Hawks and go St. Louis tonight!)again!!? lol we already sent them packing 2 years in a row in the first round and if we met again it would be the same story.

canuckthug
04-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Nice comeback win by the wings.

Another Presidents Trophy... Thats 5.
No other team has more than 2 since the trophy's inception.

chgorman
04-04-2008, 08:17 AM

NICE!! 1st round matchup vs. NSH should be a walk in the park too. I'd love to see Downey (or DMc) beat the hell outta Tooto... hopefully that happens!!

WinnipegWingnut
04-04-2008, 09:03 AM

Actually that's our sixth but whose counting? :lol:

I'm hoping for a Nashville first round match up... can you say sweep?

tinkeysersoze
04-04-2008, 11:06 AM
wow, 6 president's, how can you NOT respect this team? Seems like the Cap had NO EFFECT on their greatness :)

So here's my question, who do you WANT to face in the first round????

two24four
04-04-2008, 11:36 AM
Congrats guys, I would not mind seeing a Wings vs Sharks West Final, now that would be a good matchup, and maybe go the full 7 games.

WinnipegWingnut
04-04-2008, 12:00 PM
wow, 6 president's, how can you NOT respect this team? Seems like the Cap had NO EFFECT on their greatness :)

So here's my question, who do you WANT to face in the first round????

Nashville as I think it would be the easiest match up and the Wings seem to roll once they get confidence from the first round.

Colorado for the history and the fact both teams have old members back to re-live the glory days if the series were to happen.

Calgary is the team I don't want to face, as a hot Kipper CAN win them the series on his own, similar to how Roloson did, and we know how that panned out.

WinnipegWingnut
04-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Congrats guys, I would not mind seeing a Wings vs Sharks West Final, now that would be a good matchup, and maybe go the full 7 games.

Thanks TF, that would be a stellar match up. I think the final four in the West will be us, Dallas, Anaheim and SJ. I wouldn't be surprised though if the Wild knocked off one of them.

two24four
04-04-2008, 12:54 PM
Thanks TF, that would be a stellar match up. I think the final four in the West will be us, Dallas, Anaheim and SJ. I wouldn't be surprised though if the Wild knocked off one of them.

Yeah I could see the Wild knocking off one of the Ducks or Dallas.

canuckthug
04-04-2008, 02:38 PM
Yeah I could see the Wild knocking off one of the Ducks or Dallas.

Ducks are losing to nobody in the 1st round. Too stacked. Too experienced. The Ducks will be tested in the other rounds though, You got the Wings, Sharkies, and Avs who can matchup nice.

Dallas out ---1st round.
Nash out ---- 1st round.
Minny?? dont know-- depends who they play..
Calgary -- Fuck calgary!

Just My 2 cents.

Zamboners
04-06-2008, 02:51 AM
Ducks are losing to nobody in the 1st round. Too stacked. Too experienced. The Ducks will be tested in the other rounds though, You got the Wings, Sharkies, and Avs who can matchup nice.

Dallas out ---1st round.
Nash out ---- 1st round.
Minny?? dont know-- depends who they play..
Calgary -- Fuck calgary!

Just My 2 cents.

I would keep those 2 cents and place another wager. Ducks go up against Dallas who've beaten Anaheim 5-3 in the season series. Also, Ducks are not stacked, except maybe at the blue line (barring Schneider injury or Pronger Suspension). The Ducks have only 3 players with 20 or more goals on the season. Yes they made the play-offs with the return of Neids and Selanne, but the two previous Cup winners, Hurricanes and Tampa Bay can attest to shortcomings of repeat dreams.

canuckthug
04-06-2008, 06:19 PM
I would keep those 2 cents and place another wager. Ducks go up against Dallas who've beaten Anaheim 5-3 in the season series. Also, Ducks are not stacked, except maybe at the blue line (barring Schneider injury or Pronger Suspension). The Ducks have only 3 players with 20 or more goals on the season. Yes they made the play-offs with the return of Neids and Selanne, but the two previous Cup winners, Hurricanes and Tampa Bay can attest to shortcomings of repeat dreams.

Didnt Tampa and Carolina both miss the post-season the very next year? The ducks made it. Anahiem had stanley cup hangover the first 3-4 weeks of the season but they climbed back. Anahiem had the shortest summer in the league (Ottawa included) and played the 1st two games in London, England. Dallas is good but i still say the Ducks can and will take them. Pronger is healthy and rested. Whats happening with Zubov? Your arguing the ducks have three 20 goal scorers while the Stars only have four. Plus Selanne just came back and was on pace for 40+.

Since this is a Red Wings thread.. i gotta add something, "whats with that octopus?" give it break. lol

Zamboners
04-07-2008, 01:27 PM
Didnt Tampa and Carolina both miss the post-season the very next year? The ducks made it. Anahiem had stanley cup hangover the first 3-4 weeks of the season but they climbed back. Anahiem had the shortest summer in the league (Ottawa included) and played the 1st two games in London, England. Dallas is good but i still say the Ducks can and will take them. Pronger is healthy and rested. Whats happening with Zubov? Your arguing the ducks have three 20 goal scorers while the Stars only have four. Plus Selanne just came back and was on pace for 40+.

Since this is a Red Wings thread.. i gotta add something, "whats with that octopus?" give it break. lol

I hear ya. You're correct to assume that Selanne would count as another 20+ goal scorer. But it drops considerably after that. Dallas has way more guys in the double digits for goals. My point was that Dallas seems to have more 3rd and 4th line scoring depth which could cause trouble for the Ducks. I think this series will go long, and I could see Dallas winning. Also, the Ducks still get into penalty trouble and even though they overcame it last year, I don't think it will work again.
HA HA! Yeah, the Octopus should be reserved for close out games and only in the home building. I've seen way to many thrown in SJ when I go there for the Wings/Sharks games.

WinnipegWingnut
04-21-2008, 09:11 AM
Well we fended off the Preds no thanks the Hasek, and moved up a notch in the record books.

The Wings have now past the Leafs for the 2nd most playoff series wins, next up.... Montreal!

chgorman
04-22-2008, 09:12 AM
So who are other Wings fans cheering for to win the SJ/CGY game tonight?

I'm torn... on one hand, I'd love to see SJ out of the playoffs, but then DET has to face CGY, who - IMO - will be a much tougher matchup for them with the physicality they bring as well as Kipper obviously, and Iggy has been a beast and has been a Wings killer in the past...

On the other hand, I'd love to see COL next round, both for old times' sake and 'cause they seem to be a much easier matchup to me (despite how well Theo is playing, I could see the Wimgs lighting him up, and I'd much rather face him over Kipper, and I'd much rather face COL's D over CGY's), but that would mean SJ wins tonight and stays in the mix.

As much as it pains me, I think I gotta cheer for SJ tonight so that the Wings can beat up on COL next round and hopefully DAL and SJ beat each other to a pulp in the process.

eykwingnut
04-22-2008, 09:45 AM
im rooting for sj because we own them and dallas in recent years and id love to play colorado (whom we also own). no f*cking way i wanna see kipper in the next round.

chgorman
04-22-2008, 10:16 AM
im rooting for sj because we own them and dallas in recent years and id love to play colorado (whom we also own). no f*cking way i wanna see kipper in the next round.

No doubt! all else being equal, he's pretty much the determining factor in me choosing SJ to win tonight. He's a friggin playoff BEAST!

WinnipegWingnut
04-22-2008, 10:22 AM
I'm rooting for Calgary. The way I look at it is we're going to have to play tough teams to win the grail, so why not now.

Colorado would be the easier match up I believe, but I don't think Calgary will be able to do to us what they are doing to SJ, simply because we are a better puck control team.

Can't hit us if we're constantly moving the puck around.

studleydudley2004
04-22-2008, 10:32 AM
ozzy is the man next round

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/hockey/nhl/specials/playoffs/2008/04/21/redwings.osgood.ap/index.html

and i'd rather SJ won, COL would be a hell of an easier matchup than cgy

Jake
04-22-2008, 10:40 AM
Got this in my email this morning

http://www.firebettman.com/
So the NHL release a statement this morning to the Detroit Red Wings warning the team that if AL (the Wings octopus slinging zamboni driver) swings any slimy little creatures over his head during a game the team will be fined $10,000. For those of you who do not know what this is all about the Octopus's symbolized the eight wins it used to take to win Lord Stanleys Cup. It now takes sixteen wins but that has not stopped us Detroit fans from hurling those nasty little sea creatures onto the rink. The NHL has tried everything to stop this grand hockey tradition and now its new strategy is to go after old Al. For years every time one of those ink shooting ocean dwellers bounces onto the ice surface of Joe Louis Al runs out picks the monstrosity up and happily swings it over his head in celebration. A normally lame and reserved Red Wings crowd immediately erupts. This awesome playoff tradition is an amazing sight.

Leave it up to the big bad NHL to ruin a storied tradition! As for Al swing away good buddy Ilitch can afford it!!!

nyrblue2
04-22-2008, 10:43 AM

So the NHL release a statement this morning to the Detroit Red Wings warning the team that if AL (the Wings octopus slinging zamboni driver) swings any slimy little creatures over his head during a game the team will be fined $10,000. For those of you who do not know what this is all about the Octopus's symbolized the eight wins it used to take to win Lord Stanleys Cup. It now takes sixteen wins but that has not stopped us Detroit fans from hurling those nasty little sea creatures onto the rink. The NHL has tried everything to stop this grand hockey tradition and now its new strategy is to go after old Al. For years every time one of those ink shooting ocean dwellers bounces onto the ice surface of Joe Louis Al runs out picks the monstrosity up and happily swings it over his head in celebration. A normally lame and reserved Red Wings crowd immediately erupts. This awesome playoff tradition is an amazing sight.

Leave it up to the big bad NHL to ruin a storied tradition! As for Al swing away good buddy Ilitch can afford it!!!
I can't possibly think of a legit reason for this. Is it because off-ice officials and game personnel (which could, by some stretch, include rink workers) are suppose to remain "neutral"?

Jake
04-22-2008, 10:58 AM
It is not from the most credible source so who knows if it is true, but we will find out I guess. I would think it would be so that the fans are not encouraged to keep throwing them on the ice, but thats just my guess if it is even true

beanz
04-22-2008, 11:42 AM
go SJ cuz i wanna play the Avs! go ozzy cuz hasek is over and done!! and AL will give a big ol' F*CK YOU to the NHL board or whomever is trying to stop the octopus throwing! god i love playoff hockey game 7s! tonight is gonna be sick.

tets
04-22-2008, 06:22 PM
Im prayin for a SJ win tonight. It will give me a better chance of the series starting sooner so I can use my tickets for game 2 before I leave for vacation and also if SJ play detroit in the conference finals I will be in california at that time so I might be able to catch a game out there too!!!

Plus: The wings played colorado 4 times this season and won all of them, with 3 of the 4 being shutouts!!!

nyrblue2
04-22-2008, 07:07 PM
nvm

eykwingnut
04-24-2008, 06:44 PM

wow, so this was legit, they just talked about it on versus. so freakin lame. burke is such a baby for bringing this up. guess he had to cry about something after he got eliminated...

Hockeyis#1
04-25-2008, 02:14 AM
Guess VS will have to edit there commercials about the "I am a cult following" to "I'm a $10,000 display of crowd support"

eykwingnut
04-25-2008, 05:08 AM
i hope we win the cup and our fans go and throw 10,000 octopi on the honda centers ice.

Jake
04-30-2008, 09:47 PM
From the looks of things there will be no west coast games next round-my boss will be relieved to hear that I wont be showing up for work like a hung over zombie next week. I can deal with the one hour a lot better than the 3 hour difference

beanz
05-01-2008, 12:28 AM
From the looks of things there will be no west coast games next round-my boss will be relieved to hear that I wont be showing up for work like a hung over zombie next week. I can deal with the one hour a lot better than the 3 hour difference

:lol::lol: glad i'm finally graduated. the Wings playoffs gives me a reason to get drunk and not worry about finding a job yet....god michigan sucks lol....GO HANG OVERS!!

WinnipegWingnut
05-01-2008, 08:36 AM
:lol::lol: glad i'm finally graduated. the Wings playoffs gives me a reason to get drunk and not worry about finding a job yet....god michigan sucks lol....GO HANG OVERS!!

:lol:.... yeah might want to think of leaving Michigan if you want a job... hahaha

No Statsny again tonight, and Smyth is doubtful. I'm going to guess Foppa will last a period or two. I'm loving the chances of a.... I wont say it :evilgrin:

beanz
05-01-2008, 09:05 AM
:lol:.... yeah might want to think of leaving Michigan if you want a job... hahaha

No Statsny again tonight, and Smyth is doubtful. I'm going to guess Foppa will last a period or two. I'm loving the chances of a.... I wont say it :evilgrin:

yea, it kinda sucks that the avs are injury depleted right now makes the series feel like it isnt livingup to potential. although it is great we have a greatchance at a sweep tonight!!

Jake
05-01-2008, 10:58 PM
Another Detroit fans trifecta!!! Go Wings, Tigs, and Stones

beanz
05-01-2008, 11:23 PM
Another Detroit fans trifecta!!! Go Wings, Tigs, and Stones

them stinkin Yanks got taken down hard by the Tigers, the 76ers looked like an 8th grade team, and the Wings are gonna make Joel Quinville have to hand out resumes after this gamei s over.

good night for Detroit sports!!

WinnipegWingnut
05-02-2008, 07:26 AM
And mad props to the Mule for surpassing Gordie's record of most goals in a series.... I bet Gordie did it in 6 or 7, Johan in 4 games!!! WOW!!

I love when they asked him after the game about his nickname, and if he likes it. Said he likes it, it's grown on him, and it's an honour to have because Stevie Y gave it to him.

Cheers to the Mule!! :beer: (Conn Smythe!)

beanz
05-02-2008, 10:37 AM
at this rate, i'd say he should be the Wings Conn Smythe. He's scored some big goals for them, without a doubt. 11 goals, 4 ppg, 4 gwg, not bad at all. Sure dats and zetts are showing well rounded scoring, but we expected that from them. Mule has come into a presence of his own right now. He keeps it up the rest of the playoffs, this team is going to be very very very hard to beat. Good to see scoring in the playoffs, especially against Barry Melrose's "best goalie left" (still cant believe that call, Theo's good, but c'mon lol)

WinnipegWingnut
05-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Good to see scoring in the playoffs, especially against Barry Melrose's "best goalie left" (still cant believe that call, Theo's good, but c'mon lol)

And that's the reason Barry is a commentator and not a coach anymore... friggin bum! :lol:

thelaughingtree
05-15-2008, 09:09 PM
Igor Grigorenko news:

Just saw this article (its from a couple weeks ago) about the status of prospect Igor Grigorenko... Kind of disappointing to hear because I was kind of pulling for him to get it back together after his car accident & the problem he had with his lung. He may be out of the Detroit picture, but at least he's alive. He's still young enough to turn it around - who knows. He does have a ton of talent.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080501/BLOG09/80501084/1138/BLOG

fuji9991
05-19-2008, 11:18 AM
Wings FANS how about this schedule! First Nash then Aves then Dallas. All 8 or 9 PM away games. Thank goodness all the west cost teams blew it. Fucking bullshit we're in the west we got lucky this playoff for sleep's sake.

Dubz
05-31-2008, 09:07 AM
And that's the reason Barry is a commentator and not a coach anymore... friggin bum! :lol:

:lol: Maybe not

TSN is saying Homer may play. I think they need this guy big time.

http://http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie/?id=239307

Hockeyis#1
05-31-2008, 03:59 PM
I love how everyone is making such a big deal about holmer being out like our offense just goes down the tubes if he doesn't play.

Like Dats? Zetts? Mule? Filp? Etc? BAH! They aren't shit without Holmstrom!:rolleyes:

Dubz
05-31-2008, 06:50 PM
NOPE....Homer is out:dunno:

keyboard
05-31-2008, 07:53 PM
Delete.

WinnipegWingnut
06-01-2008, 09:09 AM
Monday night at the Joe!!!! I can't wait to see the place a rocking!!! A part of me can't help but to be glad for all the people in Michigan... something to rally up the area when the economy is down the flusher. THIS is what sports is all about, forget the problems for a while a relish in the success of the home team.

GO WINGS GO!!!! :beer:

nyrblue2
06-02-2008, 03:06 PM
Is it just me, or is Dan Cleary more unrecognizable than most with his playoff beard?

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2008/06/ipt/1212412282.jpg

I dunno, I just kinda noticed it watching this series. I feel like if I saw a bearded Cleary on the street, I wouldn't recognize him, where I would be able to recognize a lot of other players, even with a beard...

chgorman
06-02-2008, 03:08 PM
Is it just me, or is Dan Cleary more unrecognizable than most with his playoff beard?

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2008/06/ipt/1212412282.jpg

I dunno, I just kinda noticed it watching this series. I feel like if I saw a bearded Cleary on the street, I wouldn't recognize him, where I would be able to recognize a lot of other players, even with a beard...

He kinda looks like Owen Nolan in this pic. He def looks different with the playoff beard, as he's normally pretty clean shaven.

chgorman
06-05-2008, 01:22 PM
Was just reading through this thread over my lunch hour and found a few posts I felt like commenting on after last night's big win...

Figure I'd bump this up.

Is it just me... or is every other Wing fan over impressed with our so called "too old" goaltending situation??

I had a argument with a friend while playing him at NHL 08 over the PS2 on the net. He was trying to tell me that both Ozzy and Hasek will burn out and lose in the playoffs for us....

Pretty sure with two solid goalies we don't have to worry about one getting over worked.

Shoulda put some $$ down on it with your buddy ;).

Not to change the subject on ya (even though though that's exactly what I'm doing, sorry) but you know what I would love to see? The Wings keep this lineup the entire season, don't make any significant moves at the deadline, and win with the team thye have now. Maybe I'm getting a little overexcited with the 7 gm streak, but the kids are really starting to round into form, goaltending is obviously not an issue, nor is defence, Dats is now on fire, and Zetts continues play fantastically. I know it's early to be talking cup. but I would just love to see that happen. Although, I guess that's kinda what every teams' fans hope for, lol. I just think it would be especially nice this year if they didn't give up a solid young kid or prospect at the deadline for a marginal upgrade, for once, and won with the team they have.

I hope not. No need to mess with the current chemistry. Everybody knows their roles and plays them well, why fuck that up with a rental who probably won't be around long term?

I'd love to see Hossa in the Red and White if they can sign him long term, but not if he's just gonna be a rental and they gotta give up a bunch of prospects/picks to get him. Plus, with the relatively large contracts they already have, might be tough to build the rest of the team and have a decent supporting stable of players if Dats, Zetts, Hossa, Lids and Rafalski are taking up half the team's cap space.

Mentioned it a month or two ago, and then a week or two ago -- I'd love to see the Wings go wire to wire with the team they started the season with. Hossa would be sweet, but not if it's gonna cost a bunch of the team's future and he leaves after the season.

I'm SOOOO super happy that they were able to do this!! I mean, yeah, they did get Stuart, so the team isn't EXACTLY the same as it was at the start of the season, but the core is the same, and considering how well Stuart is fitting into the system, giving up a 2nd rd pick for him is nothing, especially since it seems like he'll resign. They got a key guy for the run and didn't have to give up any roster players or prospects, which I think is fantastic, unlike the Bert/Matthias debacle last year.

SO GLAD they didn't make a move for Hossa. Woulda cost them WAY too much in pics/prospects.

Awww HELL NO!! Fack!!

Oh well, at least we only had to give picks for him.

Still, woulda expected KEnny to do a little better than that.

Maybe being on a decent team will help his game a lot. DET has a way of making medicore players look a lot better than they actually/already are. Hopefully Lids and Cheli can teach him a few things to help bring his game up to par. Hopefully his game hasn't regressed too badly from being in BOS, LA and CGY that he can't recover.

Wow, was I ever wrong here!! As mentioned, Stuart has been an absolutely fantastic, integral addition, and I'm so glad Kenny H didn't go out and sell the farm for a superstar talent that this team doesn't really need. Stuart seems to fit perfectly into the system, knows his role and does his job. Another in a long line of brilliant moves by Kenny H. Hopefully the Wings can sign him for a number of years at a decent rate, as I really like what he does for this team, and a top 4 of Lids, Kron, Raffy and Stuart would be giving opposing teams fits for years to come. I honestly believe - and will continue to believe - that this is the top 'top 4' in the league, regardless of any arguments made for Donger, Weenymayer, The Schneid and Beauch in ANA.

I'm revelling in this cup win right now, and will for a while, but I'm already looking forward to next year, seeing the kids develop even more, hopefully getting rid of Dom and seeing Jimmy H in a larger role next year behind Oz, etc. Maybe it's too early for this, but.... Repeat, anybody? ;):lol::D:beer:

Spartan
06-05-2008, 03:55 PM
http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/FNG101060423_1024x768.jpg

nyrblue2
06-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Let's see....what's amusing about that picture....

1) The guy behind Holmstrom is going nuts.
2) Dallas Drake is happy.
3) Hudler is very goofy looking.
4) Osgood looks weird too.
5) Hasek can't count.

Gotta love these photos, though. Sheer excitement!

Spartan
06-05-2008, 05:20 PM
Let's see....what's amusing about that picture....

1) The guy behind Holmstrom is going nuts.
2) Dallas Drake is happy.
3) Hudler is very goofy looking.
4) Osgood looks weird too.
5) Hasek can't count.

Gotta love these photos, though. Sheer excitement!

Hasek was there for two of the four, I think thats his point. That or how many weeks until he is a free agent.

I don't like McCarty and Chelios front and center in that picture ... I'm just sayin'.

chicagohockey
06-05-2008, 06:17 PM
"To have one's name engraved on the Stanley Cup certain requirements must be met. A player must have at least 41 games played with the club or one game played in the Stanley Cup Finals. However, in 1994 a stipulation was added to allow a team to petition the Commissioner for permission to have players' names put on the Cup if extenuating circumstances prevented them from being available to play."

Does this mean if Hasek hadn't relieved Osgood vs Atlanta on Jan 15 he would not have been eligible to put his name one the cup? Because statistically speaking if he's not on the ice its not a game played...unless a game dressed is a game played.

Kyle
06-05-2008, 06:19 PM
Absolutely not. You do not get credit for a game played if you don't step onto the ice during regulation/overtime.

chicagohockey
06-05-2008, 06:29 PM
Absolutely not. You do not get credit for a game played if you don't step onto the ice during regulation/overtime.

I would have died laughing if he had played one less game then.

eykwingnut
06-05-2008, 09:32 PM
Hasek was there for two of the four, I think thats his point. That or how many weeks until he is a free agent.

I don't like McCarty and Chelios front and center in that picture ... I'm just sayin'.
also, franzen and stuart in the freakin WAAAAAY back...

szuturon
06-05-2008, 11:14 PM
LOL Ty Conklin played 33 games in the season and didn't play in the playoffs...

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
06-06-2008, 02:27 AM
I think the games played requirements are different for goaltenders, in regards to getting your name engraved on the Stanley Cup, aren't they? Even still, a moot point but there is no way in hell that Conks woulda got denied.

Btw I watched the Wings scatter about and take that picture as well as others and it's all a very rushed and spur of the moment type celebration photo... while I do find it kinda wrong to see that fool McCarthy and Hasek up front and one of the biggest reasons the Wings got to the cup Franzen in the back.. you guys should already know that it really isn't a planned or well thought out photograph lol. Real nice photo btw.. they all look really... happy.

Oh yeah, I'm not really sure what the coverage of the celebration was like on the television? but there was a small little section of RedWings fans off in the west corner of the igloo, about 10 or 15 of them all seated next to each other.. I'm sure they dished out buttloads of $$$ to make that happen and with the Pens whiteout they stood out like tampons in a sea of white panties. hahaha Sorry. Anyway during the raising of the Cup most of the RedWings skated over to that general direction and kissed the Grail and held it up for those fans to admire. It pains me to admit it but that was kinda.. neat. :ashamed:

Spartan
06-06-2008, 07:15 AM
I think the games played requirements are different for goaltenders, in regards to getting your name engraved on the Stanley Cup, aren't they? Even still, a moot point but there is no way in hell that Conks woulda got denied.

The rules aren't different but even if you dress as a backup it is considered a game. Hasek was 27-10-3 this year so he was a part of this team weather we like him or not.

For my picture of the day, guess who's kid this is...its not hard to figure out.
http://images.theglobeandmail.com/archives/RTGAM/images/20080605/wspt-cupgall04/draper_9.JPG

WinnipegWingnut
06-06-2008, 07:30 AM
For my picture of the day, guess who's kid this is...its not hard to figure out.
http://images.theglobeandmail.com/archives/RTGAM/images/20080605/wspt-cupgall04/draper_9.JPG

I'm going to say McCarty's son??

I myself don't mind D-Mac in the front, he has had a rough rough comeback and this was the icing on his 2007-08 cake. The guy starts out playing for the Wings farm teams farm team, and ends his season as a Stanley Cup champ. Was he a huge factor? no, but do you admire a guy for his perseverance and determination to put his demons behind him and do the best he can? yes.

Forgot to say it, but Sponge, I am sooooo envious of you getting to see the Cup presentation live! Remember that for a life time, as the next time the cup is given out in the Burgh it'll probably be to the home team. :beer:

DarkValiant
06-06-2008, 10:58 AM
The rules aren't different but even if you dress as a backup it is considered a game. Hasek was 27-10-3 this year so he was a part of this team weather we like him or not.

Draper's son I would guess.

WinnipegWingnut
06-06-2008, 11:02 AM

Ooooo... I think you're right! Looks just like him! I guess D-Mac cause he's in the photo.

nyrblue2
06-06-2008, 11:02 AM
That's my guess, too, but I'm not quite as familiar with the Wings' faces as others.

Spartan
06-06-2008, 11:32 AM
Yep its Draper's kid.

Jake
06-08-2008, 01:29 AM
That parade was awesome!! I was right by Hart Plaza for the parade and when Lidstrom came by peopel rushed the truck... Kwame getting booed off stage was pretty funny as well

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
06-09-2008, 04:14 AM
so I heard those drunkies in Detroit were celebrating and letting some fans at chelies bar drink beer out of the Stanley Cup and somehow it got dropped and ended up dented? Thankfully it was also mentioned that they smoothed her over and repaired the damage so I guess you got to love it :lol:

Forgot to say it, but Sponge, I am sooooo envious of you getting to see the Cup presentation live! Remember that for a life time, as the next time the cup is given out in the Burgh it'll probably be to the home team. :beer:

Oh man I definitely will, though it pained me to watch the entire thing go down, it was well worth it to be there. I don't particularly like the Wings but I definitely respect them, their talent, what they've been able to do with finding late round gems and consistently building championship caliber teams. A totally wicked experience, and I hope and trust that you are right! Damn I better start saving up for next years playoffs, like, yesterday. :D

beanz
06-09-2008, 10:42 PM
negating everything said cuz i'm drunk and it's alow able!!! GO WINGS!! was able to make it out the thrird perioerd of the cup game and wow, this team has some talent to work with the next few years. great team to watch ant pitts has a great team itself... woulfne't be surprised if we are finals matchup again in near future... goo playoofs, tried finding a hat today, no luck... do i relaly have to go on amazon to find one???

chgorman
06-10-2008, 08:00 AM
I want one of those cup champions hats too. Are they available to the public yet? I know when I tried to get one after the '98 cup win, it took over a month for stores around where I lived to get them. That was a while ago though, so the distribution is probably better now. Guess I'll have to hit up the nearest mall and take a look. Theres a sports merch/memorabilia store, so I'll check that out, and hopefully they have one or can order one for me.

Dubz
06-10-2008, 08:07 AM
I want one of those cup champions hats too. Are they available to the public yet? I know when I tried to get one after the '98 cup win, it took over a month for stores around where I lived to get them. That was a while ago though, so the distribution is probably better now. Guess I'll have to hit up the nearest mall and take a look. Theres a sports merch/memorabilia store, so I'll check that out, and hopefully they have one or can order one for me.

A guy showed up wearing one at my work the morning after.....I was a bit surprised. He said his son had a reserve at some sports shop. Apparently the shop only got six. Im sure they will be around...I cant see them limiting production or anything.

chgorman
06-10-2008, 08:12 AM
They should be fairly easy to find around Windsor/DET, as I'm sure that's where 90% of the distribtuion will be headed, but I'm stuck in hardcore Leafland, and it's pretty tough to find anything other Leafs and Habs stuff around here.

WinnipegWingnut
06-10-2008, 08:25 AM
They should be fairly easy to find around Windsor/DET, as I'm sure that's where 90% of the distribtuion will be headed, but I'm stuck in hardcore Leafland, and it's pretty tough to find anything other Leafs and Habs stuff around here.

Aren't they still waiting for the next shipment of 1967 cup winner hats??? :lol:

eykwingnut
06-10-2008, 08:25 AM
my friend went to dick's sports and got one easily.

chgorman
06-10-2008, 08:52 AM
Aren't they still waiting for the next shipment of 1967 cup winner hats??? :lol:

:lol::lol: BURN!!

my friend went to dick's sports and got one easily.

Yeah, I should be able to find one without too much trouble, might just have to scout around a bit. The biggest problem will be finding one to fit my giant noggin. I believe the ones the players were wearing were Pro-fit/Flex-Fit weren't they? Are the ones in stores adjustable, or Flex-Fit as well? A L/XL Flex-Fit fits perfectly, so hopefully I can get my hands on one of those, as, for some reason, the ones with the plastic adjustment tabs at the back don't fit my head nearly as well.

Worse comes to worst, the New Era HQ is in Buffalo, so I can always stop by there with the wife when she goes on one of her many Buffalo shopping excusions. Except then I'll ahve to spend the rest of the day following her around the Walden Galleria :rolleyes:, Oh well, small price to pay I guess.

chgorman
06-11-2008, 08:35 AM
Lids and Oz on Leno last night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxHIEjwdUeo

Super cheesy, woulda been nice if he actually sat them down and talked to them a bit more, but whatev, at least they got on. Glad I didn't bother staying up to see it though.

Jake
06-12-2008, 10:47 PM

Super cheesy, woulda been nice if he actually sat them down and talked to them a bit more, but whatev, at least they got on. Glad I didn't bother staying up to see it though.

I wish I went to bed instead of staying up for it. I wonder if Leno even knew who they were before the show.

pjm
06-12-2008, 11:31 PM

Wow.

"so uh... was it a thrill to win it?"

Then they had to do that god awful song. I think they said Justin Timberlake more times than they said Nick Lidstrom or Chris Osgood. Stanley deserves more respect! :rolleyes:

beanz
06-12-2008, 11:33 PM
:lol::lol: BURN!!

Yeah, I should be able to find one without too much trouble, might just have to scout around a bit. The biggest problem will be finding one to fit my giant noggin. I believe the ones the players were wearing were Pro-fit/Flex-Fit weren't they? Are the ones in stores adjustable, or Flex-Fit as well? A L/XL Flex-Fit fits perfectly, so hopefully I can get my hands on one of those, as, for some reason, the ones with the plastic adjustment tabs at the back don't fit my head nearly as well.

Worse comes to worst, the New Era HQ is in Buffalo, so I can always stop by there with the wife when she goes on one of her many Buffalo shopping excusions. Except then I'll ahve to spend the rest of the day following her around the Walden Galleria :rolleyes:, Oh well, small price to pay I guess.

sure, u can go to Dicks Sporting Goods, Lids, Champs, stores like those, but wont they cost a little bit more right now at those places rather than someplace like Kohls or Meijers in the near future? and the white ones the players were wearing are sold the same way, flex-fit hats. i'm sure they have sizes from XS to L or something. i have a Red Sox 02 champs hat and its a large, while a Tigers hat i have is a M, that's the whole reason i don't want to order it onlinej. i need to try the thing on first before. but i might suck it up and pay the extra couple bucks to get a hat now. saw one last night while out at the bar, they are just bad ass looking.

chgorman
06-13-2008, 08:02 AM
sure, u can go to Dicks Sporting Goods, Lids, Champs, stores like those, but wont they cost a little bit more right now at those places rather than someplace like Kohls or Meijers in the near future? and the white ones the players were wearing are sold the same way, flex-fit hats. i'm sure they have sizes from XS to L or something. i have a Red Sox 02 champs hat and its a large, while a Tigers hat i have is a M, that's the whole reason i don't want to order it onlinej. i need to try the thing on first before. but i might suck it up and pay the extra couple bucks to get a hat now. saw one last night while out at the bar, they are just bad ass looking.

Cool, thx Beans. No Dick's stores here in Canada (that I know of), but if I go to BUF I could check one out. I don't think we have a Lids here either, but I'm sur eI could find a similar store here or in BUF. I could def check Champs, I'm guessing there's probably one relatively close to where I live. Kohls or Meijers would be an option in BUF as well, but not around here.

And yeah, they're pretty sweet. Can't wait to get my hands on one.

chgorman
06-13-2008, 08:02 AM
Wow.

"so uh... was it a thrill to win it?"

Then they had to do that god awful song. I think they said Justin Timberlake more times than they said Nick Lidstrom or Chris Osgood. Stanley deserves more respect! :rolleyes:

Yeah, it was painful. I was kinda embarrassed for them even. Can't believe they put them up to that crap.

chgorman
06-13-2008, 02:08 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=240587&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_main

Nice to see Zetts be recognized and awarded something for the phenominal reg and post seasons he had.

WinnipegWingnut
06-13-2008, 02:49 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=240587&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_main

Nice to see Zetts be recognized and awarded something for the phenominal reg and post seasons he had.

Yeah I was going to post this. At first, it's like... who cares? But after I read the article and saw who voted, it's pretty impressive. Not that they need another MVP trophy, but the total all-around MVP (season and playoffs) is a pretty cool honour.

Here's the people that cast votes:

Voters include NHL GMs Brian Burke, Cliff Fletcher, Kevin Lowe and Bryan Murray; NHLPA executive director Paul Kelly; NHL coaches Guy Carbonneau, Wayne Gretzky (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=1074), Tom Renney and Alain Vigneault; and NHL players Martin Biron (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=125), Ryan Miller (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=2045), Martin St. Louis (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=669), Joe Sakic (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=831), Joe Thornton (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=39) and Marty Turco (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=31). Voters ranked their top three choices; first place votes were worth 5 points, second-place votes, 3 points, and third-place votes, 1 point

Dubz
06-13-2008, 09:41 PM
Cool, thx Beans. No Dick's stores here in Canada (that I know of), but if I go to BUF I could check one out. I don't think we have a Lids here either, but I'm sur eI could find a similar store here or in BUF. I could def check Champs, I'm guessing there's probably one relatively close to where I live. Kohls or Meijers would be an option in BUF as well, but not around here.

And yeah, they're pretty sweet. Can't wait to get my hands on one.

You dont have a LIDS store? How the heck do you survive without a Lids? If you do find one I recommend getting the VIP card....If you like hats. The embroidering is just too cool.... You can personalize your hat.

chgorman
06-14-2008, 10:27 AM
You dont have a LIDS store? How the heck do you survive without a Lids? If you do find one I recommend getting the VIP card....If you like hats. The embroidering is just too cool.... You can personalize your hat.

They may be around and I may just not have seen it. I rarely go shopping, and when I do, it's rarely at a mall (which is - I assume - where most Lids stores would be situated).

Maybe I'll check online and see where the closest store is. Do they have a website?

Spartan
06-30-2008, 11:06 PM
Lilja resigned 2yrs. and a little over a million a year. I think this means Stuart is gone.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2008/06/lilja_signs_for_two_years_stua.html

phaneuf6
07-01-2008, 12:45 PM
Stuart is back and sounds like Sundin is down to choosing between the Wings and Rangers. Wow.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
07-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Sundin to the Wings please.. otherwise they make more aggressive attempts to snag Hossa. Sundin would be a fool to pass up on Detroit for NYR.

phaneuf6
07-01-2008, 12:53 PM
Sundin to the Wings please.. otherwise they make more aggressive attempts to snag Hossa. Sundin would be a fool to pass up on Detroit for NYR.
Sundin or Hossa are both going to rape in Detroit, I don't think it matters which one ends up there.

Spartan
07-01-2008, 12:55 PM
Sundin or Hossa are both going to rape in Detroit, I don't think it matters which one ends up there.

I bet they get Rolston on the hometown discount.

phaneuf6
07-01-2008, 12:57 PM
I bet they get Rolston on the hometown discount.
Not with the money that is apparently being thrown at him...if I'm Detroit and I have the choice between Sundin, Rolston, Hossa, I take Sundin everytime. He's just that good.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
07-01-2008, 12:58 PM

it matters to Pittsburgh fans :p

Spartan
07-01-2008, 01:02 PM
Not with the money that is apparently being thrown at him...if I'm Detroit and I have the choice between Sundin, Rolston, Hossa, I take Sundin everytime. He's just that good.

I think Hossa would screwup their cap too bad considering Zetts and Mule have to be resigned next year. Sundin is perfect because they are way under cap this year. They could get both Sundin and Rolston and it would not surprise me.

chgorman
07-01-2008, 01:12 PM

Honestly, as a Wings fan, I'd prefer Rolston of that bunch. Hossa is too expensive long term, Sundin is probably only around for one yr, and the Wings don't really need Sundin or Hossa to win again. If they can get Rolston for the next 3 yrs or so at 4-5mil per season, I think that's a great deal for a consistent 30 goal scorer who can play both ends of the ice and isn't afraid to shoot. They just don't need a top guy like Sundin or Hossa to win again, I just don't see Hossa signing unless it's long term, and I don't think DET will be willing to commit that much salary to him long term since Zetts is due for a huge raise and a bunch of other guys will be getting raises next year as well (Franzen, Hudler, etc.).

It'll def be interesting to see how it plays out. I think Hossa to DET is least likely. If Mats comes back, I think DET is a very likely destination. As a Wings fan, I'd prefer Roslton over both.

Oh, and great job by Kenny H of resigning Stuart. If he plays like he did in the playoffs, he'll be more than worth what he got. Hopefully he can keep up a similar level of play.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
07-01-2008, 02:15 PM
Ty Conklin?

I knew he was gone but what's up with that?

Ouch. Kinda feels like a slap to the face.

No faith in Jimmy Howard?

I may be stepping out on a limb here but Conks could win # 1 in Detroit over Ozzy...

Thanks for saving the season! Oh and also for showing Fleury what it looks like to properly handle/play a puck. :beer:

Hobbes
07-01-2008, 02:52 PM
Oh, and great job by Kenny H of resigning Stuart. If he plays like he did in the playoffs, he'll be more than worth what he got. Hopefully he can keep up a similar level of play.

Was hoping to see him back in LA. Very good signing.

chgorman
07-01-2008, 04:45 PM
Ty Conklin?

I knew he was gone but what's up with that?

Ouch. Kinda feels like a slap to the face.

No faith in Jimmy Howard?

I may be stepping out on a limb here but Conks could win # 1 in Detroit over Ozzy...

Thanks for saving the season! Oh and also for showing Fleury what it looks like to properly handle/play a puck. :beer:

I don't get this one either. Conks has just been SOOOO inconsistent up until this past season. Figured for sure that they'd give Jimmy H a shot, he looked decent in hist couple starts last year, and is due to start showing his stuff.

Sponge - if Oz plays as well as he did last year, Conks will get 40 games at aboslute best (unless Ozz is injured at some point)

Any word on term/cost of the Conks contract? I'm kinda hoping it's only a one yr deal, as Jimmy H deserves a shot soon, and they've gt Daniel Larsson in the system too, who could warrant a look. If Conks can consitently play the way he did last season, they maybe HE'S the Wings' 'goalie of the future', however I'm not convinced after less that half a season of solid, consistent play.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
07-01-2008, 04:50 PM
I don't get this one either. Conks has just been SOOOO inconsistent up until this past season. Figured for sure that they'd give Jimmy H a shot, he looked decent in hist couple starts last year, and is due to start showing his stuff.

Sponge - if Oz plays as well as he did last year, Conks will get 40 games at aboslute best (unless Ozz is injured at some point)

Any word on term/cost of the Conks contract? I'm kinda hoping it's only a one yr deal, as Jimmy H deserves a shot soon, and they've gt Daniel Larsson in the system too, who could warrant a look. If Conks can consitently play the way he did last season, they maybe HE'S the Wings' 'goalie of the future', however I'm not convinced after less that half a season of solid, consistent play.

I heard it was a one year deal at $750,000. Not bad really.

chgorman
07-01-2008, 04:53 PM
No, not at all, that's a pretty sweet deal TBH. I figured it was gonna be in the millions for sure after the numbers he put up, but he's much cheaper than Dom, and the 1 yr term gives the team a bit of flexibility to either go after Miller if BUF fails to extend/resign him, or leaves open the opportunity for Jimmy H or Larsson to step in. All in all, I wasn't expecting this move at all, but for the price, def a solid addition at a great price as a backup/split starter.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
07-01-2008, 04:56 PM
No, not at all, that's a pretty sweet deal TBH. I figured it was gonna be in the millions for sure after the numbers he put up, but he's much cheaper than Dom, and the 1 yr term gives the team a bit of flexibility to either go after Miller if BUF fails to extend/resign him, or leaves open the opportunity for Jimmy H or Larsson to step in. All in all, I wasn't expecting this move at all, but for the price, def a solid addition at a great price as a backup/split starter.

kinda shitty for Pittsburgh fans b/c at the price he apparently signed for in Detroit, you'd think the Pens coulda held him down as # 2 for themselves.

Ahhh well. :beer:

Hamsterkill
07-01-2008, 06:00 PM
kinda shitty for Pittsburgh fans b/c at the price he apparently signed for in Detroit, you'd think the Pens coulda held him down as # 2 for themselves.

Ahhh well. :beer:

Maybe they want to bring Curry up, though I doubt it.

chgorman
07-02-2008, 08:30 AM
Wondering how the rest of you Wingnuts feel about DET possibly being interested in Bert. I posted about it in the rumors section....

The Detroit Red Wings have expressed interest in Todd Bertuzzi.

"We liked the job Todd did for us (two seasons ago), and we'll keep in contact," said GM Ken Holland. Detroit was also interested in Bertuzzi during the 2007 off-season but he signed with the Anaheim Ducks for a two-year/$8 million contract. After a disappointing season, Anaheim opted to buy out the final season of Bertuzzi's contract, making him an unrestricted free agent again.
Source: Detroit News (http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080702/SPORTS0103/807020354/1128)
Related: Red Wings (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_relatednews.aspx?sport=NHL&majteam=DET)

I do not like this at all. Really hope it's nothing but a rumor. Even if they can get him super cheap, I'd still question it, but just curious how other DET fans feel about it.....?

WinnipegWingnut
07-02-2008, 08:39 AM
Wondering how the rest of you Wingnuts feel about DET possibly being interested in Bert. I posted about it in the rumors section....

If Kenny gets him to play for a Hasek like discount, I don't mind. But no way we pay him more than 2M a year.... he's damaged goods. He must want to come take advantage of the Wings medical plan... :lol:

Spartan
07-02-2008, 11:46 AM
Rather than Bert at this point I would rather have money available for a deadline deal or two.

WinnipegWingnut
07-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Well we got Hossa.... I wonder what our lines will look like now?

Zetts - Dats - Homer
Hossa - Hudler - Franzen
Cleary - Filppula - Samuelsson
Maltby - Draper - Helm

Lidstrom - Rafalski
Stuart - Kronwall
Lilja - Lebda

Osgood
Conklin

Wow... Kenny should be trading some players for picks now.

two24four
07-02-2008, 11:52 AM
Well we got Hossa.... I wonder what our lines will look like now?

Zetts - Dats - Homer
Hossa - Hudler - Franzen
Cleary - Filppula - Samuelsson
Maltby - Draper - Helm

Lidstrom - Rafalski
Stuart - Kronwall
Lilja - Lebda

Osgood
Conklin

Wow... Kenny should be trading some players for picks now.

Already updated.....

http://www.forecaster.ca/thestar.com/hockey/depthchart.cgi?Det

WinnipegWingnut
07-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Wow... this is going to be an even better team than last year which is hard to believe. The only downer is guys like Pyett, Helm, etc might not get ice time for the big club next year.

two24four
07-02-2008, 11:58 AM
1st PP unit is like an all-star line-up.......

Dats-Zetts-Hossa

Lindstrom-Rafalski

:eek:

Spartan
07-02-2008, 12:03 PM
Wow! How in the world do you get a guy like that to sign a 1yr. deal? Great for us sure, but this speaks volumes about the overall smarts of Hossa.

This is great for the Wings because they can sort out Zetts, Mule, and Hossa all year. If Mule keeps healthy and productive then you have to lose him or Hossa. However if he is less productive he might command a smaller deal and depending on the cap increase for next year they could keep all three.

gogoayane
07-02-2008, 12:09 PM
1st PP unit is like an all-star line-up.......

Dats-Zetts-Hossa

Lindstrom-Rafalski

:eek:

Ya pretty sick line but I would think they'll put Holmstrom / Franzen at the front again... potentially move zett/hossa to the point?

kinda hard to figure out now when you have so much talent on a team :D

WinnipegWingnut
07-02-2008, 12:11 PM
I'm think we need either Homer or the Mule on the 1st PP unit for that big body in front of the net.

Spartan
07-02-2008, 12:13 PM
Shoot out ...if it comes to that.

Hossa - Zetterburg - Datsuyk

chgorman
07-02-2008, 12:15 PM
SNAP! Kenny H is GOD! Just give DET next year's Cup now.

Really surprised Hossa signed a 1yr deal. Thought FOR SURE he'd go long term, after his posturing at the deadline and after the playoffs.

Should be a great year with him in the lineup. Don't count on him being back the year after though. Zetts will be due a huge raise, as well as a few of the youngsters (Franzen, Hudler, etc), so unless Hossa is willing to take a pay cut after this season, I highly doubt they'll be able to reatin him AND re-up Zetts as well as the others.

ESPN already gave the Wings an A before the Hossa signing, with CHI being the only other team to garner an A (not that their opinion really matters, but nice to see regardless). Is there a grade better than A++?

Spartan
07-02-2008, 12:20 PM
SNAP! Kenny H is GOD! Just give DET next year's Cup now.

Really surprised Hossa signed a 1yr deal. Thought FOR SURE he'd go long term, after his posturing at the deadline and after the playoffs.

Should be a great year with him in the lineup. Don't count on him being back the year after though. Zetts will be due a huge raise, as well as a few of the youngsters (Franzen, Hudler, etc), so unless Hossa is willing to take a pay cut after this season, I highly doubt they'll be able to reatin him AND re-up Zetts as well as the others.

ESPN already gave the Wings an A before the Hossa signing, with CHI being the only other team to garner an A (not that their opinion really matters, but nice to see regardless). Is there a grade better than A++?

Its great but the games still have to be played. It wasn't too long ago when Colorado signed Selanne and Kariya ... how did that work out?

chgorman
07-02-2008, 12:30 PM
Its great but the games still have to be played. It wasn't too long ago when Colorado signed Selanne and Kariya ... how did that work out?

It didn't, but we're not COL, and obviously the situation wasn't right in COL for either of them. Plus, Hossa is better than both at just about everything. So unless he becomes a distraction and upsets the dressing room, I can't see how this will turn out like the COL situation with KAriya and Selanne.

My comment was more of a joke than anything, but you can't really argue that the Wings were the best team by far this past season, and they've only improved by keeping Stuart and adding Hossa and Conks. Agreed, the games still have to played, but on paper... give the Wings the 08/09 Cup now! ;):D

WinnipegWingnut
07-02-2008, 12:33 PM
I just can't believe we've retained the whole team (sans Drake and Hasek) AND added Hossa and Conklin.... ridiculous!

I know Chelios wants to come back, but I hope he doesn't mind sitting in the press box waiting for an injury.

pjm
07-02-2008, 01:09 PM
Good lord Detroit.

Give the rest of a chance!

Hamsterkill
07-02-2008, 01:16 PM
Wow, the Wings got a deal on Hossa... If he was only looking for a one-year deal the Pens could have offered him a bunch more...

chgorman
07-02-2008, 01:18 PM
I know I'm getting ahead of myself, super overexcited right now, but...

It's concievable that Dats/Zetts/Hossa could sweep the Selke nominations next season... how crazy is that?!??

Oz and Conks should have a pretty easy time of it next year, lol.

eykwingnut
07-02-2008, 01:20 PM
i about shit my pants when i heard this! i still cant believe it! go wings!

chgorman
07-02-2008, 01:20 PM
Wow, the Wings got a deal on Hossa... If he was only looking for a one-year deal the Pens could have offered him a bunch more...

Guess he wanted to go somewhere where he could win the cup. Like the TSN headline says... 'If you can't beat 'em..." ;):D.

Just jokes, I'll quit rubbing it in. You Pens fans probably aren't too happy right about now, and don't need me grinding it in.

Kyle
07-02-2008, 01:22 PM
oh

my

mother

fucking

god

I swear, this is about as likely a repeat as Mario's Penguins or Gretzky's Oilers. Fucking ridiculously good signing with Hossa that has him out of the franchise exactly when we will no longer be able to afford him. Thats just not fair to the rest of the NHL, he wouldn't have signed for 7.4 for any other team I don't think.

Um, as for Hossa not being smart, are you smart?! The man just gave himself the best shot at winning a cup he wil have in his career probably. Ooo, he took 7.4 instead of the 8+ a lot of teams offered, big deal. You really think these guys with more money than they could possibly ever plan to spend freak out about a million dollars in return for a very good shot at a cup?

Hockeyis#1
07-02-2008, 01:24 PM
Ok I know all the games have to be played but let's take the following into account:
ALL of the key players from our Cup team are back, I repeat...ALL
That's Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Holmstrom, Franzen, Osgood, Lidstrom, Rafalski, Stuart, Kronwall, Draper, Maltby, Hudler, and Filpula.

PLUS we have a quasi-elite sniper to add.

I'm sorry, but as an odds/math/stats guy....I LOVE our chances to repeat...

Nice foresight by Holland to give Hossa one year so we aren't stuck trying to negotiate with Zetts (who take priority) on a limited amount of funds.

Hockeyis#1
07-02-2008, 01:27 PM
Um, as for Hossa not being smart, are you smart?! The man just gave himself the best shot at winning a cup he wil have in his career probably. Ooo, he took 7.4 instead of the 8+ a lot of teams offered, big deal. You really think these guys with more money than they could possibly ever plan to spend freak out about a million dollars in return for a very good shot at a cup?

Don't forget, he can take those big fucking offers NEXT YEAR still! And that's if somehow the magic of Ken Holland can't fit it all together again.

pjm
07-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Do you guys think Hossa will consistently be on a line with Dats and Zetts? Or will he headline the second line with a guy like Filppula? I ask 'cause i have him in a keeper and I'm still not sure where this puts his value for next year. Obviously the PP will be deadly but where will Hossa land in 5 on 5 play?

Hockeyis#1
07-02-2008, 01:32 PM
It's tough to say as Zetts plays center as well as Dats....so one could man line 1 and the other line 2.

It's safe to say Hossa's probably going to want top line playing time, regardless of who he plays with.

chgorman
07-02-2008, 01:34 PM
oh

my

mother

fucking

god

I swear, this is about as likely a repeat as Mario's Penguins or Gretzky's Oilers. Fucking ridiculously good signing with Hossa that has him out of the franchise exactly when we will no longer be able to afford him. Thats just not fair to the rest of the NHL, he wouldn't have signed for 7.4 for any other team I don't think.

Don't forget, he can take those big fucking offers NEXT YEAR still! And that's if somehow the magic of Ken Holland can't fit it all together again.

Agreed with both. Assuming he doesn't bomb in DET (a pretty solid assumption), his value will only go up for future negotiations. Getting a ring on his finger will allow him to ask for even more in his next negotiation, as he'll then be a 'Cup Winner' and will have that on his resume. Even if they don't win the cup this yr, he'll still most likely put up career numbers with DET, thus raising his value even more. To me, this is a win/win situation for both sides. Yeah, maybe Hossa is missing out on 1-2 mil this year, but he'll easily make up for it in his next contract if he wins the cup with DET this year and/or has a career year.