PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Red Wings Thread - Enough of us here

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14

Kyle
06-21-2014, 09:37 PM
I can't think of a Wings player who wasn't downright awful outside of Brendan Smith and Zetterberg through the 5 games vs Boston. I don't hold that against Legwand. Legwand didn't need to be anything more than the streaky scorer who plays responsible gritty two-way hockey that he was for the Wings and put up a solid 40 pt season. It does seem like management soured on him but he couldn't play on one line or with consistent linemates for more than 3 games in a row so what did they expect? He was never given a real chance to excel with good linemates. Legwand was exactly what the team needed from him at the time, and the only way to add anything to the potential playoff run at the time. If I recall correctly, all four of the Wing's centers were hurt when Kenny H brought in Legwand.

He had 3 weak games at worst going into the playoff series that the entire team failed to show up for. He was every bit as good as he was for Nashville in a Wings uni so based on that I'd call it as much of a success as it could've been. I wish they would resign him personally. Much better than Weiss.

Kyle
06-21-2014, 09:43 PM
Unfortunately, it seems the team is actively pursuing Cleary. I just don't fucking get it anymore with this guy. He had that fluke finish to the 2013 season in the playoffs but he was nothing but shit all of last year when he wasn't near-death and sitting out games. His knee is done, dump this dead-weight already.

Jake
07-02-2014, 02:11 AM
Quincey for 4.25??? Please tell me this is a fucking bad joke. I really can't stand him or Kindl but the Wings seem dead set on overpaying them to stick around.

Kyle
07-02-2014, 06:01 AM
Well, I guess the Wings join half the NHL in handing out stupidly generous contracts this offseason to players that haven't earned it. Quincey is a quality 3 million dollar player at best. The cap isn't going up nearly enough for that shit. That said, he really was the only defenseman who didn't blow dick vs Boston, and to a lesser degree Brendan Smith. He got better as the season went along and stayed healthy. He was definitely important last year, defensively.

I think this is just a last-resort style rental. Holland couldn't find the right handed shot he wanted so he had to keep his own. Don't be surprised to see Ryan Sproules or maybe even Oulett or Marchenko playing ahead of Quincey before the 2nd year is over and his contract will just be the money the Wings would be preparing to give them.

Its not a good deal regardless but it wasn't a dumb signing either. It was just an unfortunate one he had to make. I don't want to see the Wings without Quincey next year, not yet, Smith and Dekeyser aren't there yet.

Niskanen got just shy of 6 mill so I'm definitely glad the Wings didn't approach that bidding war. Wish they would've just kept Stuart. They need his size and toughness and he was no worse defensively than any of Quincey or Kindl and he looks like a steal at a mill cheaper.

chgorman
07-02-2014, 01:27 PM
I was happy to see that Kenny H did not go out and way overpay for Niskanen/Ehrhoff/Boyle. But then he goes and does this..... uuuuuuuuggggggghhhhhhh. I'd rather overpay those other three in a heartbeat, rather than have Quincey on the team at all, let alone overpaying him by 2 mil per yr over 2 yr. Poor show Kenny. Poor show.

Jake
07-02-2014, 02:59 PM
If the price and term is right, I wouldn't mind Heatley or Mueller as a chance to revitalize their careers. I know Heater won't be what he once was, but it's an upgrade over Bert or Cleary

Kyle
07-02-2014, 04:24 PM
Heatley can't be any worse than Madanno was :lol:

Jake
07-10-2014, 08:24 PM
If nobody else wants to start the bitching I will.... fuck this Cleary signing. 1.5 million and more importantly a roster spot potentially wasted. To make it worse, it happened right after Heatley signs for one mil. Loyalty is great, and I understand and respect the importance of keeping your word, so I can at least hope he was offered a position within the organization outside of lacing up the skates .

chgorman
07-11-2014, 12:24 PM
Yeah, I'm starting to wonder if Kenny H is maybe starting to lose his magic touch a little bit. First Quincey, now Cleary. Both are ill advised signings IMO.

two24four
07-11-2014, 12:36 PM
You have to wonder if Jim Nill had more to do with a lot of the things in DET over the years then people think. What's he's done in DAL in a short time is amazing.

Kyle
07-11-2014, 12:41 PM
:lol: Keep it commin. And you guys say I'm overdramatic :lol: :lol: This 1 year deal to Cleary means absolute fuckin zilch in the grand scheme of things.

Kyle
07-11-2014, 12:50 PM
You have to wonder if Jim Nill had more to do with a lot of the things in DET over the years then people think. What's he's done in DAL in a short time is amazing.

I honestly just think this is absurdly silly. Holland made Nill for fuck's sake. What has Nill done in Dallas in any way better than what Kenny H has done in Detroit? A few good trades and good signings is all the sudden worth more than the ridiculously good drafting and prospect-development Kenny H has done over the last 3-4 years? Dallas needed to transform and Nill did. Detroit doesn't need to transform. They need to stop breaking a bone every other shift.

Nill is 3-4 years away from remotely credible comparisons to Holland. When he builds a brilliant prospect group without ever having to suffer a poor regular season to draft highly, you can compare him to Holland. He's had two good offseasons in Dallas, but good drafts mean much more so lets settle down and wait and see there. His Stars are still 8th best in the West at best but crown them all you'd like.

Again, the ridiculous insinuation that Holland was urged to do something is just dumb. He's done enough. Unless you expect the worst injury luck in the NHL to carry over a third season in a row, there's simply no reason to expect the Wings will struggle to stay 4th-6th in the East easily and field a competitive playoff roster while they go through the 2-3 year process of maturing Tatar/Nyquist/Jurco/Oulett/Sproul/Manthra/Mrazek. The only bad offseason was an offseason where the future of those studs was left uncertain. For now, they're certainly Red Wings, and nobody more important than Legwand has left a roster that was perfectly competitive and relevant in cup conversations before getting unhealthy. A roster that should be better next year by virtue of youth progression, not one that needed improvement through free agency.

But yes, Kenny H has certainly lost his magic touch because he couldn't convince Heatly or Morrow to sign their useless 1 year deals in Detroit and had to settle for Daniel Cleary. As if ANY one of those 3 moves means jack shit to the Red Wing's success next year or any other.Heatly rotting away for 8 minutes a game on our 4th line hurts the team more than helps it. Cleary can be a useful 4th line player. And if not, they phase him out, and he fucks off in a year. Seriously, who gives a shit? This move means zero.

There is an infectious desire to bitch and moan spreading across Red Wings nation this offseason based on moves that Kenny H never needed to make and its crazy at this point. Just settle down and enjoy your playoff team with a top 5 prospect group developing behind them. The only bad move Kenny H could've made this offseason was reaching to fix what isn't broken. He gave up Jarnkrok for Legwand and it bit him in the ass and he's done risking the future of the prospect class HE put together with the same brilliance you guys keep absurdly referring to as "fading."

Let me put it simply, if you don't think Kenny H has done a characteristically great job managing the Wings the last few years, you aren't just wrong, you're a fucking fool. An ignorant one at that who doesn't understand that Kenny H's "magic" never had anything to do with signing Hull/Robatile/Hasek and more to do with brilliant European scouting that only gets better and better as he goes along. Kenny H's magic was the Russian 5, Federov, Fetisov, Konstantinov, Kozlov, Larionov, his magic was Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Kronwall, his magic is Jurco, Manthra, Nyquist, Tatar, Mrazek, Sproules, Oulette, Dekeyser..I don't see the magic going anywhere, but I guess I'm missing something.

If the Wings stay healthy the last two years, literally not one of you says a word about a weak offseason or Kenny H losing any magic because no one would think there were any glaring needs in Detroit. Awful injury luck doesn't discredit his management.

Hamsterkill
07-11-2014, 03:54 PM
The only thing that's changed in Detroit seems to the desirability of it amongst UFAs in recent seasons. And really, that just goes with no longer being a President's Trophy contending team for the moment. Holland is still perfectly capable of managing the team without that advantage, though.

Of course, if you guys want to try something different, please go ahead. There are other teams (*cough*penguins*cough*) that certainly should invite Holland's help right about now. So, you know, don't worry about getting stuck paying out his contract, or anything.

Kyle
07-11-2014, 05:28 PM
Agreed. Even when Detroit was that presidents trophy team, who did it really attract from 06-10? Hossa is the only name worth mentioning and even that was a reluctant one-year deal signed to win a cup while he bounced around the teams he really wanted to play on, AKA the ones with already-established youthful star talent like Pittsburgh and the Hawks. The Wings never had any real appeal to Hossa and he made that clear when he turned down more money to play in Detroit.

So, its not even enough to just be a championship-caliber team to attract free agents, you need to be a team with a decade's worth of championship-potential to attract the real gems who want long term deals. That's not something you just easily achieve as a GM, you either draft the very best players in the draft a few years in a row to build that kind of team or earn it the hard way. The Wings are earning it the hard way and to their credit somehow remain playoff contenders every year. The Wings aren't in a championship window right now, but they have ALL the youthful talent that results in the types of 3-5 year runs that attract the big name free agents. It's unfair to say Holland is losing his touch as a GM because the NHL recognized the Wings championship window was closing and responded accordingly. Of course Anaheim attracts more right now, who on Earth wouldn't want to contribute to the established culture of success surrounding Getzlaf and Perry just entering their primes on longterm deals? Datsyuk and Zetterberg on the other hand are considered past their mark. But their is an army behind them waiting to shoulder some of that load and they will attract all the FA's that Datsyuk and Zetterberg no longer attract. Thats what rebuilding is all about. Kenny H is a phenomenal GM for turning a 5-10 year rebuild into a 2-3 year process and already having his team on the brink of an entirely new successful era.

This just feels like a product of Kenny H delaying the inevitable decline for so long, that people seemed to forget it still had to happen.

chgorman
07-11-2014, 08:17 PM
Calm down Kyle. I don't like Quincey and don't feel he's worth what they're paying him, and I feel Cleary's roster spot and cap space would be put to better use by having a younger player in the lineup in that spot. That's all. Two moves in a row that aren't terrible, but are questionable at best, and Holland hasn't really done much of anything in free agency to improve the team so far. The good thing is, he also hasn't grossly overpaid for anyone, although I still think they gave Quincey a little too much.

I'm not interested in them signing Heatley or Morrow for the exact same reason as Cleary... I'd rather see a younger player in the lineup. Those two have nothing to do with my comment that holland *might* *possibly* be losing some of his magic (never said he definitely has lost it). And even if he has lost a little bit, he'd still be a better GM than most of the rest of the league. Please don't twist my words to imply that I'm saying he's completely lost it. I simply disagree with these two recent moves for what I feel are legit reasons, and I don't ever remember him making two questionable moves in a row in such a short amount of time, which is what makes me wonder. That's all. No big deal. He'll still have them in the playoffs next season.

Kyle
07-12-2014, 04:50 PM
I was responding much more to Wings nation than you specifically. People are about fed up with Holland and I'm just amazed at their short-sighted perspective on the job he's done in recent years.

Kyle
07-13-2014, 01:08 AM
Play of the year on TSN came down to Nyquist's spin-around on the goal line vs Tatar's D-split vs Dallas. Going to be exciting to watch those two through the years. They have such a great opportunity to learn for the next few years while they won't be counted on any more for offense than Datsyuk/Zetterberg/Franzen/Weiss/Helm/Kronwall, compared to a team like Edmenton where their young guys are the only talent there.

Tatar won. I remember a certain message board saying there's no way its goal of the year and just a bad play by the D-man! Glad those gems got some recognition outside of Detroit.

Listening to people still harping about the Jim Nill factor is just funny at this point. Those people should research Hakan Andersson's role in scouting Datsyuk/Zetterberg before crowning Nill as the reason for all the team's successes. He also arrived after Lidstrom and the Russian 5 were already on the roster so clearly he didn't help shape the European scouting program that he's credited for whatsoever. That would beAndersson who has been there since it all truly began in 1990. What Jim Nill does for Dallas as a GM doesn't change what he did for Detroit. It's just a silly point people keep repeating because they find it in the same articles.

Kyle
07-22-2014, 05:04 AM
Early designs for the new arena by 2017 look absolutely gorgeous. Can't wait for this. Sorely needed.

https://forums.hockeyinformer.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=478&stc=1

phaneuf6
07-22-2014, 06:27 AM
Desperately needed. The Joe is a dump.

Kyle
07-22-2014, 07:07 AM
Definitely a bottom 5 NHL arena

Dubz
07-22-2014, 11:11 AM
Hey i remember when the Joe was the shit....im so fkn old lol

chgorman
07-23-2014, 01:30 PM
The Joe is still a great place to sit in your seat and watch a game, sight lines are unbelievable compared to most arenas, but that said, I won't really miss it as it's everything else outside of actually watching the game that sucks - lineups at washrooms and concessions, food is lousy, narrow concourses, dangerous stairs, severe lack of modern amenities, it's not in the greatest area of town and not particularly easily accessible, it's ugly as sin, etc.

The new arena/development looks amazing though. I can't wait either.

Gern Blansten
09-07-2014, 12:25 AM
Awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcL_Df2kshc

chgorman
09-24-2014, 12:53 PM
Datsyuk to miss 4-6 weeks with 2nd degree shoulder separation.

Seriously? This is happening AGAIN? Wings were 1st or 2nd in the league in man games lost each of the past two seasons I believe, and now they can't even get through ONE preseason game without losing their best player for at least a month. Brutal.

What's the over/under on how long it take Zetts to sustain a significant injury? Preseason game 3?

Rocklobster
09-24-2014, 04:28 PM
out with the old, in with the new. I think Tatar, Nyquist and Sheahan will step up once again for the wings. They'll be fine.

Dubz
09-24-2014, 09:01 PM
Real shame Mantha will miss some time as well. I was looking forward to seing some NHL games from this kid....

Kyle
10-06-2014, 02:56 PM
Yeah that could seriously interrupt how long it takes him to get his NHL debut. Hopefully they put him right in when he's healthy but they might make him spend some time getting back into hockey shape after he returns from his injury. You never wanna rush an NHL debut. Its a shame because he was so ready. Hopefully he recovers fast.

Excited to start the next chapter in this Red Wing youth movement Wednesday!

Kyle
10-18-2014, 01:59 PM
The Leafs looked overwhelmingly pathetic last night and so did their fans. Booing constantly and throwing another jersey on the ice. Phaneuf was a bitch out there, in addition to being a total liability and an awful player last night. Just embarrassing by the team and its fans. Looking forward to Round 2 at the Joe tonight.

I've rarely seen a contrast in quality of leadership quite so dramatic as the difference between Zetterberg and Phaneuf last night. Z is the fucking man.

Also, I'm ecstatic to so far be able to say I was dead-wrong about Nyquist. I thought his scoring pace was a fluke last year and he'd be a career 25-30 goal player. But he really can exceed 40. A goal in every game so far.

Did anyone else think Z could've easily finished the goal himself on the second pass to Franzen? It got Franzen hurt which was a freak accident, but it really seemed like a totally unnecessary pass.

The youtube link goes straight to the 2nd Franzen goal. Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66bmoqGYJ-M#t=57

Kyle
10-18-2014, 11:18 PM
4/4 against the Leafs, nice!

Dubz
10-19-2014, 12:17 AM
Was hoping for a break tonite. Love to hate the wings

Kyle
10-19-2014, 01:04 AM
Was hoping for a break tonite. Love to hate the wings
Tonight was way more respectable by the Leafs and even their fans who showed up in full force at the Joe (Disappointing to see as a Wings fan). That was a close game that easily could've gone either way. Post were hit on great shots both ways, and there was great goalie play both ways.

Way too much pro leaf/anti Wings chanting for a Joe Louis Arena crowd. The Leafs fans were nearly as loud as the Wings on the TV broadcast.

chgorman
10-19-2014, 07:59 PM
Refs were fucking terrible too, both ways.

Agreed about Friday night vs. last night for the Leaves (sic). They came to play last night. Friday was just an embarrassment for them and their fans.

Kyle
10-21-2014, 02:41 PM
Welcome back the magic man tonight!! Datsyuk makes his season debut.

chgorman
10-22-2014, 11:25 AM
He looked really slow, IMO. Will take him a few gms to get back to full speed.

Still made some nice plays though, as per usual.

Kyle
10-23-2014, 10:57 PM
What a fucking comeback!!!

Zetterberg and Kronwall are some other types of beasts. Their all-around game plus their offensive ability (9 pts in 4 games for Z, 4 pts in 3 games for Kronner) has been such a treat to watch so far

When Datsyuk regains his form, the Wings are elite.

I said it all off-season, big moves in FA weren't needed because this team is a contender when healthy. Franzen was looking amazing as well before he got hurt. The team can only get better.

Tatar needs to stop trying so hard to duplicate his GOTY-winning goal last year and learn to set up an NHL offensive zone cycle. His constant failed attempts to challenge the D solo are getting frustrating to watch.

chgorman
10-24-2014, 10:52 AM
Agreed re: Tats. He's one of the few on the team making good zone entries on a regular basis and possessing the puck across the blue line, and he's as tenacious as ever in the corners and around the net, but once he has the puck in the offensive zone, either by zone entry or digging it out of the corner, he's trying to do too much and needs to look for the pass/simpler play more often. He's pressing and trying to be too fancy. I've notice the same - to a lesser extent - from Nyquist the past two games too, but I'm not as worried about him.

As for the comeback - spectacular! But lets not kid ourselves. PIT absolutely dominated that game for the first 1.5-2 periods. The shot totals and final score were NOT indicative of how much better PIT was for at least half the game, if not more.

Was it just me, or was Sid pretty much invisible most of that game, aside from the one wide open SOG he got that he basically drilled into Howard's chest? Not sure if he was just completely blanketed defensively all game (I wasn't keyed in on him much, so I don't know), or if there's something going on with him, either mentally or physically. Malkin stood out, Kunitz stood out, a number of other players on PIT were very noticeable for various reasons (Comeau always seemed to be in the middle of things, Greiss played well until the end, but can't really even fault him on many/any of the Wings goals), but Sid seemed relatively invisible to me.

Kyle
10-24-2014, 08:10 PM
As for the comeback - spectacular! But lets not kid ourselves. PIT absolutely dominated that game for the first 1.5-2 periods.

You couldn't be more right. I actually stopped watching the game at 5 minutes left in the third because it seemed hopeless. I tuned in as they were celebrating the game-tying goal by Kronwall, totally shocked me. And I rarely ever tune out of a 2 goal deficit but it truly seemed hopeless. I even told my brother "The Wings are a long way from competing with the Pens" as I changed the channel. The win is great but the Pens clearly win at least 7/10 times if the game plays out like last night. But with Datsyuk at 100% and Franzen back it might not have been so bad.

Crosby was a ghost as he seems to be 50% of the time he plays the Red Wings. As usual he was forced to match up against Zetterberg and as usual Zetterberg out-right shut him down.

chgorman
10-25-2014, 11:06 PM
Tough loss to take after dominating so much of the game. That's what happens when you don't finish a team off early when you have the opportunity. Wings walked all over Philly for 50 of 60 mins, but Philly scored when it counted.

Kyle
10-26-2014, 03:50 AM
Tough loss to take after dominating so much of the game. That's what happens when you don't finish a team off early when you have the opportunity. Wings walked all over Philly for 50 of 60 mins, but Philly scored when it counted.

When they only had a 1 goal lead with a 23-5 shot advantage, It felt like that type of game was about to happen. Sure enough.

chgorman
10-26-2014, 07:16 AM
When they only had a 1 goal lead with a 23-5 shot advantage, It felt like that type of game was about to happen. Sure enough.

Yep. I believe Mickey Redmond called it on the Wings broadcast right around that time.

Kyle
10-26-2014, 11:46 AM
Yep. I believe Mickey Redmond called it on the Wings broadcast right around that time.

Right. On the bright side, there is a ton to be optimistic about!

And as a small treat, Gust's numbers took a giant shit last night so we won't have to hear any nonsense about how he should replace Howard. :D

chgorman
10-26-2014, 01:47 PM
Right. On the bright side, there is a ton to be optimistic about!

And as a small treat, Gust's numbers took a giant shit last night so we won't have to hear any nonsense about how he should replace Howard. :D

Thank goodness. I still can't believe that there are people out there who think he's a better option than Jimmy. That's unfathomable to me. Heck, Mrazek is ALREADY better than Monster, Wings are just making sure he's over-ripe as per club policy, haha. If anybody will take over for Jimmy, it should be Mrazek. Monster is a solid backup but nothing more. Anybody who thinks he should be a starter ANYWHERE, let alone in DET, is an idiot, IMO.

Kyle
11-01-2014, 02:53 PM
Holy crap what a great game vs the Kings!

Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Abdelkader, Nyquist, and Kronwall are on FIRE!!!

Easily the best 10-game regular season stretch the Wings have played since going into the playoffs hot-as-fire in 2013 when everyone finally came back healthy. Hopefully health permits this streak to continue because this team is quite scary when healthy.

6th best team defensively, #1 penalty kill, one of only 7 averaging 2.00 or less goals per game, 6th best even strength team, and a Powerplay that's finally looking right with the emergence of Datsyuk (Albeit still a horribly ranked powerplay at 25th). Starting to score lots of goals now too and risen from 24th to 15th in that category over two games.

Most importantly, Jimmy H playing like an all-star and quieting down those baseless concerns!

Kyle
11-02-2014, 08:42 PM
WOW, that no-goal yet again was just fucking moronic!! He didn't even begin to come close to anything that could possibly be construed as impeding the goalie's movement. Since when is standing in the crease illegal in the modern NHL?! Is it 1997 again?

The Sabres fucking suck and looked like shit all night. What a joke that they didn't lose 5-2 at best and at least the 3-2 loss they earned in overtime. What a Goddamn joke this barrage of bad calls has been. Three bad goalie interference calls, one being an indisputable monumental fuck up and the other (The most recent one tonight) also being a total fucking joke. When that awful call vs Montreal is the least questionable of 3 calls, you know you're getting fucked.

Add in the non-hook by Getzlaf at the end of the Anaheim game which stole at least 1 point from the Wings, and that's no less than 3 points blatantly stolen in the first 11 games. I'm not sure I've ever bitched about the refs in a matter oblivious to the fact that all team's fanbases go through the same complaints, but now I am, because not one team in the NHL can claim a small fraction of the blatant disadvantage the Wings have been presented by the refs through 11 games. If it's not injuries, it's this. Nonsense.

chgorman
11-06-2014, 02:13 PM
To add on to Kyle's rant....

Was it just me, or did it appear that Nash may have made contact with Monster in the crease on the winning goal last night?

It wasn't much contact, but neither was the disallowed goal vs. BUF on Sunday, and they still disallowed that one but let the one last night stand.

Also, how do none of the 2 refs and 2 linesmen see the blatant high stick on DeK, leaving his face, visor and the ice a bloody mess, especially when it happened RIGHT in front of one of the refs? Woulda resulted in a 4 min PP. Instead, I think the Rags scored a minute or two later -- likely wouldn't have happened if they were killing a 4 min Wings PP.

Also, how do none of the 2 refs and 2 linesmen see the puck go in the net on Cleary's goal (when everyone else including players on the bench and the guys calling the game from the press box did), especially the ref standing DIRECTLY BEHIND THE NET (the SAME ref who missed the high stick on DeK), let alone let them play for another minute or two before going to review, then having to add time back onto the clock after it was determined to be a goal? Not a huge deal, but for a team playing the second gm of a B2B on the road, after a hard fought gm in OTT the night before, facing a refreshed NYR team, making them play longer than they need to is kinda shitty. At least they eventually got the goal call right. Needs to be a system in place where if the NHL control room reviews the play and deem it's a good goal, they immediately have the play stopped regardless of what's happening on the ice, instead of waiting for a whistle. What if there happened to be no whistles after that goal was scored and they played straight to the end of the period? Unlikely, I know, but that goal was scored with almost 8 minutes left in the 2nd period. I've seen Wings games where they go 5-7 mins without a whistle. It's rare, but it's happened. Would they seriously put 8 mins back on the clock and make both teams play an ADDITIONAL 8 minutes of game time?

The drama continues...

/rant

Too bad for Monster that he separated his shoulder attempting to make the save on gwg, but I'm really hoping they get Mrazek into a game or two before Monster is back. No more B2B's for a while, so that may be unlikely. Especially with Jimmy being so beastly so far this season.

Kyle
11-07-2014, 10:34 PM
Agreed completely, Chg. Horrible ref luck so far.

Great win tonight. That said, the Wings home victory song fucking blows. How obnoxious.

Kyle
11-15-2014, 02:23 PM
Well, they were minus Sharp, but a fully healthy Wings just totally embarrassed the Blackhawks.

Best game of the season by far.

J.Howard has looked brilliant as well. Everything is clicking.

Kyle
11-24-2014, 10:17 PM
Wings would annihilate Ottawa all night and still somehow invite them back in late! Close call but nice to see the team completely controlling other teams at home again after the off-year on home ice last year.

Also, THERE'S the freaking Weiss the Wings paid 5 mill for. Ugly goals but he made his career in Florida making ugly plays. That's exactly what he was brought here to do. If him and Abdelkader turn into dominant net-mouth presences, the Wings will be smooth-sailing.

Edit - Update -- That comeback vs the Devils was brilliant, and a great win vs the Canucks two days later. Just keep winning! Datsyuk/Nyquist/Franzen/Zetterberg/Kronwall are dominating!

Kyle
12-05-2014, 12:45 AM
The Wings are cup contenders this year and it feels so fucking right. It's nice to not have to change my tone every week because of brutal inconsistencies. This team has been clicking all year.

Doctego
12-05-2014, 07:01 AM
I never thought that I would utter these words but I can honestly say that I just picked up Stephen Weiss in one of my leagues.

chgorman
12-05-2014, 09:19 PM
I just grabbed him too, last night.

Kyle
12-07-2014, 03:03 AM
The team hasn't made 2 (or even 3!) goal comebacks this often in 3-5 years. Good stuff

Jake
12-12-2014, 11:23 PM
I getting really sick of seeing the Wings lose in shootouts... there is no way they should be that terrible at them

Kyle
12-13-2014, 12:19 AM
Yeah, like that first goal Howard let out is just a microcosm of the Wings shootout success this year. I've never seen a goalie read/play that move so perfectly and just fail to clog the post. At this point he's just mentally off his game when it comes to shootout time. It would be nice if our fucking forwards could score more than 3 out of 17 on the year and help him out once.

Jake
12-17-2014, 08:26 PM
Yet another shootout loss last night. For all of the individual talent on the Wings this us getting really old

Kyle
12-18-2014, 11:11 AM
Yet another shootout loss last night. For all of the individual talent on the Wings this us getting really old

It is, but we're not even somewhat at risk of sliding out of the playoffs for now, so really who cares? It might cost us some seeding, but oh well. Hopefully this last week or two is a season low-point, though. The even strength scoring needs to improve. Wasting way too many good games by Howie.

chgorman
12-18-2014, 03:22 PM
I'm not *too* worried, per se, it's just annoying more than anything. Look at the names they can trot out for the shootout:

Datsyuk, Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Zetterberg, all guys with unbelievable hands, but they can't get it done for whatever reason. Most teams would love to have the luxury of having a guy like Zetts be their 5th best shooter in the shootout. Wings have that but still can't get it done. Wings should be getting two goals out of those first three shooters all the time, every time. I'd like to see them give Jurco some shootout attempts going forward, given his hands, but I don't know if you can justify taking any of Dats, Gus or Tats out to put Jurco in.

I'm happy that they're still getting single points for taking it to OT/shootout, most times coming from behind to do so, but these shootout deficiencies could haunt them down the road.

Kyle
12-20-2014, 04:07 PM
Darren Eliot after last night's game: "It's easier to score a case of the mumps than it is to score a goal if you're a Red Wing player lately"

:lol: Sadly accurate. I expect a turnaround to begin tomorrow night.

Jake
12-21-2014, 09:20 PM
The Wings inability to finish has to have fans at least somewhat concerned. Teams should fear a shootout against the Wings, not welcome it I can't wait to hear your rebuttal to this Kyle (and I know they have a lot of come from behind wins), but hopefully they get their share of bad breaks over with before the playoffs.

Kyle
12-22-2014, 02:44 AM
Nothing to really refute right now.

chgorman
12-22-2014, 09:15 AM
At least Mrazek has looked pretty good. That's encouraging.

chgorman
12-23-2014, 10:32 PM
Was starting to get worried after the first. Losing to BUF would've been rock bottom after losing 5 or 6 straight. D locked it down in the 2nd and third, until the offence was able to wake up. 4 PP goals. Much needed.

Jan/Feb sched is horrendous. If they can tread water until March, should be fine.

Doctego
12-24-2014, 12:05 PM
Did Buffalo really get no shots in about an hour? I thought that Mrazek was hurt because his numbers weren't changing.

chgorman
12-24-2014, 02:14 PM
Yep, about that, haha. BUF finished the first period with 9 shots on goal, then the Wings shut 'em down. BUF finished the second with 10 sog total. Fired a few more sog in the third, but most were closer to the end of the period/game. So basically BUF got about 5 or 6 shots from the start of the 2nd to the end of the 3rd.

Kyle
12-24-2014, 02:24 PM
In Buffalo's defense, the 5 shots in the third period was perfectly consistent with the pace they set the rest of the game. :D

Seriously, Buffalo was completely fucking pitiful. I've been saying it for nearly five years, I've never seen a modern hockey team look so incredibly useless in front of their goalie.

It's hard to not worry about a 3-1 deficit but I wasn't worried. Buffalo were just looking too sorry and inviting way too much pressure. Seemed like only a matter of time til the third period explosion.

Good way to enter the Christmas break but a game vs Buffalo does not disprove their offensive issues. Have to do it vs better teams.

Hamsterkill
12-24-2014, 08:44 PM
And yet, somehow, the Sabres still have 3 teams behind them in the standings. Baffling.

Kyle
12-25-2014, 01:54 AM
Based on a quick glance at the standings, it seems like they're a fairly competent team at home, and just totally miserable on the road. They're above .500 at home which will keep you a healthy way ahead of last place most years.

But yeah, Edmenton is redefining bottom-dwelling this year and Carolina is looking impressively bad as well.

Thankfully, the other 4 of 5 top East teams only scored at most 12 or 13 pts over the last 10 games, so the Wings 4-2-4 cold streak (12 pts) actually didn't cost them much at all in the standings. 1st place is still well within reach

Edit - holy shit, what a fucking goal by Nyquist in overtime!

Doctego
12-28-2014, 07:45 AM
Did Howard get through the game with no issues? I picked up Mrazek and want to drop him if I can.

chgorman
12-28-2014, 09:27 AM
Yep, Jimmy was fine. Looked pretty good.

Kyle
12-28-2014, 06:48 PM
I thought it was one of his best games of the season. Looked in prime form when the team was doing nothing to help out early. Lots of grade-A scoring chances stopped (by both goalies).

Wouldn't be surprised to see Jimmy play 16-17 of the next 20 games.

Kyle
01-08-2015, 04:19 PM
Good win vs Edmenton and Great game vs Calgary (Flukey SHG aside). Keep rollin boys, the 10 games before Edmenton was the first 10 game stretch the Wings went below .500 in pts (9 pts, nothing too bad). Back at 12 pts in their last 10 now. Hopefully it stays above .500 the rest of the way because the playoffs still aren't any sort of lock.

Doctego
01-10-2015, 07:54 PM
What exactly happened to Howard? I got an update that he was taken off the ice on a stretcher but nothing else.

Kyle
01-11-2015, 05:22 PM
What exactly happened to Howard? I got an update that he was taken off the ice on a stretcher but nothing else.

He tried a crazy athletic split and stretch that he was just too rusty to pull off. Looked like he tore his sack in half. He was completely immobilized and frozen in pain.

Back on IR.

Doctego
01-11-2015, 08:40 PM
Detroit doesn't fuck around. He's already on IR in Yahoo.

chgorman
01-12-2015, 07:15 AM
It must be pretty serious if he's already on IR.

Really too bad for Jimmy. He was just named to the AS game an hr before the game, and an MLive reader's poll voted him the team's MVP the same day.

Mrazek will be serviceable until Jimmy is back. Unfortunately their sched is horrendous for the next month and a half or two months, so the team as a whole is gonna hafta step up.

chgorman
01-16-2015, 12:30 PM
Big win last night. STL was the hottest team in the league before last night's game and were absolutely dominating teams offensively, averaging 5+ goals for per game in their past 5-10 gms or so (can't remember the exact number of gms). Wings shut 'em down most of the game. Shouldn't have let it get to OT after being up 2-0, but got the 2 pts, so that's all that matters.

In other news: It's official. Petr Mrazek is legit.

phaneuf6
01-16-2015, 01:47 PM
How great is it for Wings fans that you're no longer in that division with NSH, STL, CHI, CLB...wow.

chgorman
01-16-2015, 08:34 PM
How great is it for Wings fans that you're no longer in that division with NSH, STL, CHI, CLB...wow.

It's nice, for sure, but it goes both ways. I imagine those teams are happy that they don't have to deal with the Wings as much.

Kyle
01-17-2015, 02:54 AM
I'll agree with Phaneuf . Detroit would be hard-pressed for a playoff spot in the West this year, and last year would've been much more difficult as well. The East is for sure a lot easier.

I do agree with Gorman as well, Detroit is clearly a strong team and only due to get stronger throughout the decade (Dats/Zetts are getting older but they're replacements are perfectly lined up). Those teams in the West might have had the upper hand for now but I'm sure they're glad they don't have to deal with Nyquist/Tatar/Manthra/Mrazek/Dekeyser/Larkin/Shaehan (And many many more) as they mature and develop.

Let's not forget what happened in the playoffs two years ago though right before Detroit left the West. That underdog team stormed the conference to end the season once they got healthy (Strongest record in the NHL over the last 20 that year), completely outplayed Anaheim in 7 games, and was only just slightly edged by Chicago in 7 before they went on to handle the rest of the conference with ease.

So Detroit can hang for sure

Doctego
01-17-2015, 07:35 AM
Detroit has been a model franchise for some time now but they have replacements for those 2? We are talking about excellent two-way players that have scored at a PPG rate and are also leaders. I'm not sure that anyone is perfectly lined up to do that. Maybe some of them will but players often disappoint when they go from supplementary to top billing.

Kyle
01-17-2015, 10:10 AM
I guess replace wasn't the right word, I just think Nyquist+Tatar can pick up the slack offensively and they have enough guys buying into the system right now to assure competent two-way depth when Datsyuk and Zetterberg eventually lace em up.

I was more or less saying those two are the only truly aging talent on the entire team (Besides Kronwall but he has replacements lined up as well down the line) and they have much more than just 2 young talents developing, so the compilation of Tatar+Nyquist+Shaehan+Manthra+Larkins should add up to suitably fill those (admittedly huge) shoes left behind by Dats/Z.

Put more simply, I think they have the pieces in place to compete with the 06-10 roster once a few more guys develop in 2-3 years. Mrazek+Howard is a huge upgrade in net compared to what the Wings dealt with from 02-09 as well. They won't have the Lidstrom+Zetterberg+Datsyuk on top, but they can have more depth than the team that went to 3 consecutive conference finals and 2 cups.

Doctego
01-17-2015, 02:05 PM
What concerns me about them is what happened to the Devils a few years ago. They lost player after player and just plugged anyone in and the train kept rolling. Eventually, they lost too much and they couldn't sustain it any longer. The situations aren't identical but they do have similarities. This also doesn't account for the potential loss of their coach.

Kyle
01-17-2015, 06:36 PM
What concerns me about them is what happened to the Devils a few years ago. They lost player after player and just plugged anyone in and the train kept rolling. Eventually, they lost too much and they couldn't sustain it any longer. The situations aren't identical but they do have similarities. This also doesn't account for the potential loss of their coach.

I can agree with that. The Wings are still riding the last wave of momentum from the near-dynasty years, and when you have that kind of success you almost have an automatic advantage regardless of personnel (kind of like the Patriots as long as they have Brady/BB).

Once Datsyuk/Zetterberg retires, it's safe to say the very final remnants of that near-dynasty will be history, and the Wings will finally have to show they can still be elite. A lot of us like to say "the wings have already proven that" but the truth is the Wings are still majorly benefiting from the impact of Yzerman/Lidstrom/Bowman/etc. The Wings are still a better team than the sum of their parts because of those guys. If they lose Babcock/Dats/Zetterberg it's safe to say that impact will finally have subsided.

Truthfully, I think if Babcock stays, this generation has major potential to continue to represent the type of play that made the team a near-dynasty. If he goes, I see an immediate regression on the Wings horizon.

Kyle
01-18-2015, 01:02 AM
Awesome win vs the Preds. Tatar looked like a man possessed. Detroit had way more offense than 24 shots implies. They dominated.

Tatar and Nyquist will be good for 60 goals between the two for 10+ years to come. Super excited to watch them every year.

chgorman
01-18-2015, 01:48 PM
Awesome win vs the Preds. Tatar looked like a man possessed. Detroit had way more offense than 24 shots implies. They dominated.

Tatar and Nyquist will be good for 60 goals between the two for 10+ years to come. Super excited to watch them every year.

Agreed. He was making phenomenal plays a both ends of the ice.

I imagine that game may have looked a little different (at very least, a little closer) had Rinne been in net last night, but still nice to be able to say that the Wings have now beaten the hottest team in the league (STL) and the top team in the league (NSH) in consecutive gms in the dog days of January. Now they get to beat up on BUF today, haha.

Kyle
01-20-2015, 05:35 PM
That Buffalo game had all the makings of a trap game and sure enough the Wings still found a way to come back from 0-3. This has been a great 2 weeks.

chgorman
01-22-2015, 08:55 AM
That Buffalo game had all the makings of a trap game and sure enough the Wings still found a way to come back from 0-3. This has been a great 2 weeks.

So did the Minny game right after, and they almost blew it too, although in opposite fashion from the BUF game (i.e they gave up a big, early lead late in the game.)

But they got the two pts and FINALLY won a fucking shootout!

Nice first career NHL goal for Pulkinnen (sp?) too. Kid has an absolute laser beam for a shot, and he's not afraid to unleash it any time from anywhere. Mickey and Ken are constantly making Brett Hull comparisons on the Wings' broadcasts.

Kyle
01-23-2015, 09:51 AM
So did the Minny game right after, and they almost blew it too, although in opposite fashion from the BUF game (i.e they gave up a big, early lead late in the game.)

But they got the two pts and FINALLY won a fucking shootout!

Nice first career NHL goal for Pulkinnen (sp?) too. Kid has an absolute laser beam for a shot, and he's not afraid to unleash it any time from anywhere. Mickey and Ken are constantly making Brett Hull comparisons on the Wings' broadcasts.

Agreed. Sick slap shot. The Wing's young prospects are looking better now than any point in the last 3-5 years, which is saying a lot. This goes way beyond just the NHL players, too. Larkins is gonna be a really good center. He was arguably the best freshman center in college hockey this year. New names like Alex Holmstrom and Joe Hicketts are doing phenomenal and cracked the top 50 prospect list. Wings have 4 prospects in the top 50 and that doesn't include any of their current NHLers (Jurco and Mrazek likely would be on the list as well, otherwise).

30 NHL teams, 4 prospects in the top 50. A reasonable argument could be made for at least 2 more. You can argue the Wings are drafting and developing better than anybody in the NHL considering their average draft positions.

This team truly can keep becoming better and better and grow into a Chicago-quality powerhouse without ever needing to draft higher than the Larkins pick. They're already clearly a top 10 team this year (5th-7th IMO). That playoff streak could push 30+ before it's even at risk of ending.

two24four
01-23-2015, 10:08 AM
Agreed. Sick slap shot. The Wing's young prospects are looking better now than any point in the last 3-5 years, which is saying a lot. This goes way beyond just the NHL players, too. Larkins is gonna be a really good center. He was arguably the best freshman center in college hockey this year. New names like Alex Holmstrom and Joe Hickettsare doing phenomenal and cracked the top 50 prospect list. Wings have 4 prospects in the top 50 and that doesn't include any of their current NHLers (Jurco and Mrazek likely would be on the list as well, otherwise).

30 NHL teams, 4 prospects in the top 50. A reasonable argument could be made for at least 2 more. You can argue the Wings are drafting and developing better than anybody in the NHL considering their average draft positions.

This team truly can keep becoming better and better and grow into a Chicago-quality powerhouse without ever needing to draft higher than the Larkins pick. They're already clearly a top 10 team this year (5th-7th IMO). That playoff streak could push 30+ before it's even at risk of ending.

Sorry that goes to Jack Eichel. Larkin is very good and a nice prospect though.

Kyle
01-23-2015, 10:29 AM
Yeah, I had to make sure to include arguably on that one. :D I was just in high spirits after reading some really positive mid-season prospect reports.

It's a long road and anything can fall apart before the NHL level so none of these guys are sure-things, but you'd think at least 2-3 of them have to turn into quality NHLers that can contribute nightly within the next 2-3 years, and certainly by Dats/Z's retirement. Andreas Athanasiou has got potential as well. The big question mark is on the blue line, but if the Wings can stay competitive there there's no reason they can't be as good as ever.

Hamsterkill
01-23-2015, 10:29 AM
Sorry that goes to Jack Eichel. Larkin is very good and a nice prospect though.
:yes:

two24four
01-23-2015, 03:38 PM
Yeah, I had to make sure to include arguably on that one. :D I was just in high spirits after reading some really positive mid-season prospect reports.

It's a long road and anything can fall apart before the NHL level so none of these guys are sure-things, but you'd think at least 2-3 of them have to turn into quality NHLers that can contribute nightly within the next 2-3 years, and certainly by Dats/Z's retirement. Andreas Athanasiou has got potential as well. The big question mark is on the blue line, but if the Wings can stay competitive there there's no reason they can't be as good as ever.

Yes he does. I watched him play in the OHL the last few years. He can flat out skate, super fast when he gets going. One of the best skaters to come through the OHL in the last few years. Has some nice hands as well. I would think they will leave him in the AHL for a few years.

Kyle
01-24-2015, 01:38 AM
Yes he does. I watched him play in the OHL the last few years. He can flat out skate, super fast when he gets going. One of the best skaters to come through the OHL in the last few years. Has some nice hands as well. I would think they will leave him in the AHL for a few years.

He seems to have made quite a slow adjustment so far in the AHL which I hear is very normal (I'm horribly ignorant regarding minor leagues. Wish I had your knowledge there). I agree that they'll give him a long time, especially because I'm sure the jump from AHL-NHL is even more dramatic. He really did look amazingly electric in the OHL though. One of those guys who makes you really wish he figures it out at the NHL level because he would just be fun to watch in this league.

The sheer level of skating and offensive talent the Wings have rising through the ranks is awesome. But toughness is almost a universal question for every one of these guys. I really hope they still have Babcock to help for the next 5 years because he is great at teaching players to be heavier than just their weight.

chgorman
01-24-2015, 09:49 AM
Agreed. Sick slap shot. The Wing's young prospects are looking better now than any point in the last 3-5 years, which is saying a lot. This goes way beyond just the NHL players, too. Larkins is gonna be a really good center. He was arguably the best freshman center in college hockey this year. New names like Alex Holmstrom and Joe Hicketts are doing phenomenal and cracked the top 50 prospect list. Wings have 4 prospects in the top 50 and that doesn't include any of their current NHLers (Jurco and Mrazek likely would be on the list as well, otherwise).

I'd say closer to 10-12 yrs. They haven't had this much promising YOUNG talent in the system since Dats/Zetts/Franzen/Kron were just coming up.

They've got some solid prospects there too. Babs and Holland are really high on all of Ouellet, Sproul, Marchenko and Jensen. None are standout offensive D men a la Karlsson/Suban/Letang, but should be good solid all-around blueliners. And DeK and Smith are both still relatively young and still improving. No Lidstroms or Kronwalls on the horizon though, unfortunately.

He seems to have made quite a slow adjustment so far in the AHL which I hear is very normal (I'm horribly ignorant regarding minor leagues. Wish I had your knowledge there). I agree that they'll give him a long time, especially because I'm sure the jump from AHL-NHL is even more dramatic. He really did look amazingly electric in the OHL though. One of those guys who makes you really wish he figures it out at the NHL level because he would just be fun to watch in this league.

I think he's been injured a bunch too. 16 pts, +8 in 25 gms in GR so far isn't bad. He's definitely a few yrs away (at least) though.

Kyle
01-24-2015, 11:22 PM
No Lidstroms or Kronwalls on the horizon though, unfortunately.

I think Holland's earned himself just 1 dip into Free Agency here. Once the Franzen/Weiss contracts clear some space I can see Holland making a big splash.

Kyle
01-28-2015, 08:51 AM
It's Gust last year all over again. A mediocre goalie winning more games than he deserves for the Wings and prompting idiot fans to request benching Howard. Mrazek has been such a turd-sniffer back there throughout this 6-game win streak. Just miserable. Can't wait for Howie to come back as long as the team can keep this mojo going offensively.

Oh well, winning is the important thing. 2 weeks ago the Wings were 5 pts ahead of 9th. Today the Wings are 15 pts ahead of 9th. Onto the tournament.

chgorman
01-28-2015, 04:42 PM
It's Gust last year all over again. A mediocre goalie winning more games than he deserves for the Wings and prompting idiot fans to request benching Howard. Mrazek has been such a turd-sniffer back there throughout this 6-game win streak. Just miserable. Can't wait for Howie to come back as long as the team can keep this mojo going offensively.

Oh well, winning is the important thing. 2 weeks ago the Wings were 5 pts ahead of 9th. Today the Wings are 15 pts ahead of 9th. Onto the tournament.

I would never try to imply that Mrazek should start over Jimmy... no chance... but IMO, he's played fairly well for his first real, semi-extended starting stay in the bigs. The kid is only 22 will continue to get better going forward. I do agree, he's let in some questionable goals, and obviously the start vs. BUF where he got pulled was atrocious (although not his fault... the entire team was a complete joke in front of him), and his W-L record is a little misleading since that BUF gm didn't count towards his record (McCollum took the win after the Wings roared back), but he's also made some great saves that have kept the team in games/allowed them to hold the lead/allowed them to make some serious comebacks.

Again, not saying he should replace Jimmy, but 'turd-sniffer' is a little harsh IMO, and I don't think 'mediocre' is giving him enough credit either. He certainly hasn't been great, but he's been good enough, which is a step above mediocre in my books.

I don't know if the Monster comparison is a fair one either. Gustavsson has had 5 yrs (144 gp) in the NHL to prove that he's anything more than a mediocre goalie, and he hasn't proven that he's anything other than a mediocre backup. Mrazek has 26 NHL games played (15 of them this season) and IMO, has already proven in those 26 gp that he's already a better goalie than Gustavsson, and is still developing. I don't think we'll see the best out of Mrazek for at least another yr or two. We've already seen the best that Monster has to offer, and it's not very impressive.

I think your comment was geared more towards commenting on the idiotic section of the Wings fanbase who think Mrazek should start over Jimmy simply based on his record over the past 6-8 games, and I completely agree with you there. Those tools are off their rockers, but every fan base has those types, best to just ignore them. My disagreement is that I don't think you're giving Mrazek enough credit. To me, his puck handling skills alone (FAR superior to Jimmy or Monster) make up for the handful of questionable goals he's allowed.

Kyle
01-30-2015, 10:14 AM
I agree. I was too harsh because I've been prompted to be overly negative on Mrazek in response to the countless fools in the anti-Howard camp. He wasn't that bad during the win streak. I have tons of hope that he is still the goalie of our future.

Far from a turd sniffer. Until last night. That was his first true turd-sniffing performance.

That said, he's had a -ton- on his plate and the team has played a weirdly free-flowing game of hockey in front of him and not giving him a consistent structured effort. Time to let McCollum start the rest of the way until Howard returns because Mrazek shouldn't be in the NHL right now. Mrazek can play 1 in 4-5 games but we've seen enough. He's not ready. Howard/Gust is still their ideal goalie lineup going into the playoffs.

chgorman
01-30-2015, 07:53 PM
I agree. I was too harsh because I've been prompted to be overly negative on Mrazek in response to the countless fools in the anti-Howard camp. He wasn't that bad during the win streak. I have tons of hope that he is still the goalie of our future.

Far from a turd sniffer. Until last night. That was his first true turd-sniffing performance.

That said, he's had a -ton- on his plate and the team has played a weirdly free-flowing game of hockey in front of him and not giving him a consistent structured effort. Time to let McCollum start the rest of the way until Howard returns because Mrazek shouldn't be in the NHL right now. Mrazek can play 1 in 4-5 games but we've seen enough. He's not ready. Howard/Gust is still their ideal goalie lineup going into the playoffs.

I wasn't able to watch the game (probably a good thing, haha)... Was it all on Mrazek or was the D as loose in front of him as it has been the previous 3-4 games?

Kyle
01-31-2015, 05:49 AM
I wasn't able to watch the game (probably a good thing, haha)... Was it all on Mrazek or was the D as loose in front of him as it has been the previous 3-4 games?

he let in 3 really poor goals that you could definitely blame him for. The D wasn't good, but he definitely could've stopped 3 of the 5. He's had a huge load on his plate, hard to anticipate suddenly starting this much games when you were 3rd string just a little while ago. Clearly just needs a little rest

chgorman
01-31-2015, 01:24 PM
Yep, sounds like he's wearing down a bit. Will definitely be best to get him back to GR when they can. Looks like Monster should be back soon, and I imagine he'll take over starting duties until Jimmy is back, at which point they can send Mrazek down. Or I like your idea, send Mrazek down now and get McCollum in there for a few gms before Monster is back, then have him back up Monster until Jimmy is back.

Kyle
02-05-2015, 02:19 PM
I'm pretty sure we just went longer between games than the actual all star break lol

chgorman
02-05-2015, 05:21 PM
I'm pretty sure we just went longer between games than the actual all star break lol

Probably true, haha. doesn't bother me at all though, especially heading into a West coast trip. I've been too busy to watch any games the past few days anyway. I'm glad that they can get some more R&R at this point in the season. Hopefully they don't get rusty or complacent. That would be my only worry.

I spelled it Brendan Smith at least a few times LOL, don't know how I let Brad Smith slip

not that it matters, but you said Brad at least 4 times. I didn't see a Brendan anywhere, haha. But that's not important.

but
he's been on the 2nd pair as much as the 3rd pair this year, hence the near-equal ice time split between him and Quincey. If it's been Quincey lately, I honestly haven't even noticed, but I haven't had time to watch the games the last month the way I normally do.

Really? I don't think so, but you could be right. I know Babs likes to mix the fwds up often, but he tends to stick with the same D pairs, and as far as I can tell Smith has been on the 3rd pair pretty much all season, or the large majority of it anyway.

Unless they switched things up, the D pairings have been Kron/Ericsson, DeK/Quincey, and Smith with any one of Kindl, Lashoff, Ouellet or Marchenko depending on injuries/scratches. Smith may have moved up to the 2nd line periodically due to injury (looks like both DeK and Quincey have missed a few gms each), but aside from that, I'm pretty sure he's been 3rd pair most of the season. All I can think of in regards to the similar ice-time between him and Quincey is that while Kron/Eric log the most mins, Babs rotates the 2nd and 3rd pairs fairly evenly, and/or Smith likely gets more PP time than Quincey, which might make up for any additional ES mins that Quincey gets over Smith, thus making their ice times fairly similar. Then again, Quincey probably gets more PK time than Smith, so that may be a wash.

You could very well be correct about Smith being 2nd pair for some/half/most of the season so far, as I don't pay super close attention to the D pairs when I'm watching (usually focus on the fwds and the goalies) but I distinctly remember a comment from Babs a few wks to a month ago about how happy he was with the pairing of DeK and Quincey, leading me to believe that they've been playing together for at least the past few months, and I'm pretty sure it's been the majority of the season. I know those two played together for most of last season (or did when Ericsson was healthy).

He still plays 18.5 minutes a night, so we essentially will be replacing a 2nd-pair's minutes with Franson regardless (Due to the very low ice time Kronwall/Ericsson play for a #1 pair, Detroit's #3 essentially plays as much as anyone else's #2 pair).

Fair enough, but IMO, Franson is further along and has a more finely developed game than Smith, that alone making him a good addition, and that's not even the biggest thing. The biggest thing is that he's a righty, which Babs has been desperate and begging for for yrs now (at least 2+ seasons now, when you include this current season, or basically since Rafalski retired)

As far as becoming a reliable D-man defensively? What more could he possibly do? I think he's been great. Advanced metrics puts him way ahead of most, including Franson, defensively. I haven't noticed a play that makes me think "There goes Brendan Smith" since he earned that sort of unfair rep in that playoff run.

Fair enough. I admit I don't pay a lot of attention to the D when I watch so I couldn't make a definitive statement on the quality of is defensive play either way, but I agree, he's definitely better than he has been in the past, and maybe that's why his offence isn't there yet, because he's not taking risks like he used to in college and GR in order to be better defensively.

Now, I wasn't aware Quincey was getting nearly 20 minutes a night, and I definitely wouldn't mind replacing that with Franson. I like Quincey, but I always get the impression he's playing above his head, and due to look bad at any time.

I'm guessing Quincey moved up to full time 2nd pair minutes during Smith's hand infection. Smith was absolutely top-4 before then though, I'm really quite certain. His ice time was 19-22 regularly as opposed to 17.5-18 that he gets now. Anyway, that's enough Wings talk for this thread, would happily continue in the Wings thread if you wish to reply.

Now there's something we can both agree on. Quincey has definitely been better this season than he has the past couple, and Babs has praised him a couple times, but I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him slide down to the 3rd pair with Smith for a playoff run if they can get Franson. Quincey contributes next to nothing offensively, and still seems to make/take 1 or 2 totally boneheaded plays/penalties every 3-5 games, but would still be a solid defensive presence beside Smith on the 3rd pair for a playoff run.

Now, all that said, reports are now saying (at least according to wendel_ in the Leafs thread) that Nonis wants a 1st for Franson. If that's in fact the case, I'll agree with you and say "no way" to Franson, even though DET's 1st rd pick will likely be in the mid to high 20's if they keep their current pace. I'd be okay with moving a 2nd if it'll land Franson, as that pick would likely be in the 50-60 overall range (again, assuming the Wings keep the same/similar pace), but that would be the most I'd offer if I were Kenny H. Certainly not any decent prospects from GR or overseas, and definitely no roster players aside from Kindl. They can have Kindl for a bag of pucks as far as I'm concerned, haha. The thing is, who knows what you're going to get with a 2nd rd pick. Seems to me that there's typically a fairly noticeable drop-off in talent after the first 30-40 picks in the draft. Yeah, you might hit on a future star, but you could also take a complete bust. I'd rather give up an unknown (i.e. 2nd rd pick) in return for a relatively proven commodity in Franson for a playoff run and get Babs the righty he's so desperate for, over keeping the unknown 2nd rd pick and having to rely on an incredibly inconsistent Kindl, a raw Ouellet/Marchenko/Sproul, or a one dimensional (and not even all that great at that one dimension) Lashoff for a playoff run.

Hopefully I don't sound like one of those dumbass Wings fans with their heads in the clouds that you/we are always railing on, but getting Franson for a reasonable price (i.e. a 2nd rd or later pick, NOT a roster player, decent prospect or 1st rd pick) makes sense to me if they want to make a serious run in the playoffs THIS season.

chgorman
02-05-2015, 05:31 PM
not sure why a couple of quotes got messed up there... I tried fixing them but they reverted back to splitting them into 2 separate quotes for whatever reason even after I tried fixing them. Oh well, not a big deal, I'm sure you can still understand the post.

Kyle
02-11-2015, 08:43 PM
P

not that it matters, but you said Brad at least 4 times. I didn't see a Brendan anywhere, haha. But that's not important.

LOL, when I make a typo, I like to repeat it 30 times that week. I meant in the past I've always gotten that name right.

Really? I don't think so, but you could be right. I know Babs likes to mix the fwds up often, but he tends to stick with the same D pairs, and as far as I can tell Smith has been on the 3rd pair pretty much all season, or the large majority of it anyway.

Yeah, he had the 4th most minutes on the blue line all year until his injury in november, then he dropped to 5th in minutes. So he was on the 2nd pair for most of the 1st half of the year, 3rd pair all of the 2nd half so far

Unless they switched things up, the D pairings have been Kron/Ericsson, DeK/Quincey, and Smith with any one of Kindl, Lashoff, Ouellet or Marchenko depending on injuries/scratches. Smith may have moved up to the 2nd line periodically due to injury (looks like both DeK and Quincey have missed a few gms each), but aside from that, I'm pretty sure he's been 3rd pair most of the season. All I can think of in regards to the similar ice-time between him and Quincey is that while Kron/Eric log the most mins, Babs rotates the 2nd and 3rd pairs fairly evenly, and/or Smith likely gets more PP time than Quincey, which might make up for any additional ES mins that Quincey gets over Smith, thus making their ice times fairly similar. Then again, Quincey probably gets more PK time than Smith, so that may be a wash.

You could very well be correct about Smith being 2nd pair for some/half/most of the season so far, as I don't pay super close attention to the D pairs when I'm watching (usually focus on the fwds and the goalies) but I distinctly remember a comment from Babs a few wks to a month ago about how happy he was with the pairing of DeK and Quincey, leading me to believe that they've been playing together for at least the past few months, and I'm pretty sure it's been the majority of the season. I know those two played together for most of last season (or did when Ericsson was healthy).

I could be wrong as well. But Smith had been playing more minutes all year than Quincey until the November injury, so if he was on the 3rd pair, the ice team stat sheet certainly looks confusing. I think Babcock often refers to lines/pairs that have only been together a short time. I don't think it would be weird at all for him to say "Quincey and Dekeyser have been great" just referring to the last 2 months+some games. That's like 30+ games, plenty.

Fair enough, but IMO, Franson is further along and has a more finely developed game than Smith, that alone making him a good addition, and that's not even the biggest thing. The biggest thing is that he's a righty, which Babs has been desperate and begging for for yrs now (at least 2+ seasons now, when you include this current season, or basically since Rafalski retired)

I know Babs is always desperate for one, but I'm not sure it really matters as much as he thinks. I could be way wrong for sure, though. Maybe it is a crucial thing Detroit is missing. But with the PP so deadly, it doesn't seem like we're lacking much of anything on the blue line. Apparently now they want a 1st+prospect for Franson so its a bit absurd there.

Fair enough. I admit I don't pay a lot of attention to the D when I watch so I couldn't make a definitive statement on the quality of is defensive play either way, but I agree, he's definitely better than he has been in the past, and maybe that's why his offence isn't there yet, because he's not taking risks like he used to in college and GR in order to be better defensively.

Yeah, he's only managed to flash the occasional offensive brilliance but it's so few and far between. He's very far from productive. But he's solid, and he's a big body which I guess Babcock likes too much, probably because he's had none to work with most of his career with Detroit.

Now there's something we can both agree on. Quincey has definitely been better this season than he has the past couple, and Babs has praised him a couple times, but I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him slide down to the 3rd pair with Smith for a playoff run if they can get Franson. Quincey contributes next to nothing offensively, and still seems to make/take 1 or 2 totally boneheaded plays/penalties every 3-5 games, but would still be a solid defensive presence beside Smith on the 3rd pair for a playoff run.

Now, all that said, reports are now saying (at least according to wendel_ in the Leafs thread) that Nonis wants a 1st for Franson. If that's in fact the case, I'll agree with you and say "no way" to Franson, even though DET's 1st rd pick will likely be in the mid to high 20's if they keep their current pace. I'd be okay with moving a 2nd if it'll land Franson, as that pick would likely be in the 50-60 overall range (again, assuming the Wings keep the same/similar pace), but that would be the most I'd offer if I were Kenny H. Certainly not any decent prospects from GR or overseas, and definitely no roster players aside from Kindl. They can have Kindl for a bag of pucks as far as I'm concerned, haha. The thing is, who knows what you're going to get with a 2nd rd pick. Seems to me that there's typically a fairly noticeable drop-off in talent after the first 30-40 picks in the draft. Yeah, you might hit on a future star, but you could also take a complete bust. I'd rather give up an unknown (i.e. 2nd rd pick) in return for a relatively proven commodity in Franson for a playoff run and get Babs the righty he's so desperate for, over keeping the unknown 2nd rd pick and having to rely on an incredibly inconsistent Kindl, a raw Ouellet/Marchenko/Sproul, or a one dimensional (and not even all that great at that one dimension) Lashoff for a playoff run.

Franson would definitely give the team a great amount of predictability that would be lacking with those untested/underperforming D-men they'd have to rotate. But now that the 1st round pick doesn't seem to be up for dispute, PLUS they want a prospect, it seems way out of the realm of something Holland would do.

Hopefully I don't sound like one of those dumbass Wings fans with their heads in the clouds that you/we are always railing on, but getting Franson for a reasonable price (i.e. a 2nd rd or later pick, NOT a roster player, decent prospect or 1st rd pick) makes sense to me if they want to make a serious run in the playoffs THIS season.

Haha, Never have thought that, you've always been one of the more objective/aware Wings fans I speak to.

I'm actually way more in on Franson than I used to be. I'd lose a 1st for him. But not a worthwhile prospect as well.

chgorman
02-12-2015, 09:06 AM
Some solid points there Kyle, especially the one about a righty maybe not being as important as Babs thinks. Your point about the PP clicking just fine without a righty is spot on. I think at this point, a righty D man may be more of a luxury than the necessity that Babs is making it out to be, especially given the apparent cost.

Man, did PIT ever come out to play last night. DET wasn't even close to matching their intensity. You could tell Babs was pissed the whole game. Not sure why the Pens were so jacked up for that game, but they definitely played stronger/harder/better for the large majority of the game.

Kyle
02-12-2015, 06:54 PM
Detroit always seems to get a really strong performance by Pittsburgh. The Wings are the only playoff rival Pittsburgh could really claim right now (I guess the Islanders, but meh) and the Pens just always seem hyped for another chance to rub in that game 7 win. Even when Det does manage a win it's rarely convincing vs Pittsburgh.

That said, I'd still call Det easy favorites in a playoff series, because anybody should trust Babcock+Dats/Z/Kronwall to keep the team playing at the high level they've been playing at all year, where-as with the Penguins you have all the usual question marks regarding their ability to translate regular season success to the playoffs.

If the Pens show up in full force, they can win a series vs Det in 5-6 games, but I think a 6-7 game win by Detroit would be much more likely based on the sheer inconsistency we've gotten from the Pens for years when it matters.. Babcock feeds on that.

Doctego
02-12-2015, 09:07 PM
Is it a done deal that Mrazek gets sent down between now and their next game? I could use the roster spot.

Doctego
02-14-2015, 02:44 PM
Bueller? Bueller??

Kyle
02-14-2015, 04:54 PM
For some reason, they actually haven't made a decision there yet. Right now he's backing up Howard at least 1 more game. They want to send him down, but it seems like he gave them just enough reasons to second guess themselves.

I predict Mrazek doesn't start another game barring a horribly unlucky re-injury to Howard. I think he gets sent down after the Winnipeg game as long as Gust has proven his health.

Doctego
02-14-2015, 06:48 PM
Thanks. That's pretty much what I thought. If Howard makes it through tonight healthy, I'm thinking that I'll drop Mrazek.

chgorman
02-17-2015, 03:53 PM
Great battle with the Habs last night. First half of the game was a little slow with both teams playing super tight D (I think the SOG totals mid way through the 2nd period were about 10 a piece), but it picked up from there. Too bad Dats slipped and fell on the gwg. He probably coulda made a play on Plekanec had he not fallen.

One thing is for sure - I DEFINITELY DO NOT want DET to face MTL in the playoffs with Price is playing at the level he's currently at. Hopefully either DET or MTL wins the division so that they don't have to face each other in the 1st rd. I like DET's chances in a 7 gm series vs. TB, but I don't like their chances against MTL with Price in net. At least if one of DET or MTL wins the division, they wouldn't face each other until at least the 2nd rd.

Kyle
02-18-2015, 09:19 PM
Howard has just been incredible the last 5 periods since the start of the Habs game. Nice to have a top-10 goalie again. Detroit has -no- business going into the 3rd with a tie. Chances were 20-4 at one point. Even though the Hawks were clearly offsides on their goal, they deserve better than the tie they currently have. Thankfully Detroit has a difference maker in net again.

We'll let his awful first game back slide due to rust. Hopefully this is the Jimmy H the Wings get in the playoffs, because they can go anywhere with him playing this well. Only 2 goals allowed his last 55 shots against, vs two of the best offensive teams in the NHL (Habs, Hawks).

Dubz
02-18-2015, 09:33 PM
Sometimes i wonder if injuries actually help this team. It just seems like they always have someone to take the spot.

Kyle
02-19-2015, 01:06 AM
Sometimes i wonder if injuries actually help this team. It just seems like they always have someone to take the spot.

Next man up!!

chgorman
02-19-2015, 04:17 PM
Couldn't believe they got the win in the shootout last night, especially against CHI, and more specifically, Kane! Loved Tats using Kane's technique (slowing right down at the hash marks and making a million moves between there and the net to throw the goalie off balance) and scoring with it right after Kane did it but didn't score (granted, he had Jimmy beat but put it off the bar)

Hopefully their shootout fortunes are starting to turn a bit after being so terrible in the first half. I think they've won 2 or their last 3 shootouts. Not worth boasting about, but it's a start.

Kyle
02-22-2015, 04:46 AM
And quietly, Datsyuk remains a strong contender for the best player in the NHL.

What a game he had vs Dallas, and what a game period. No defense what so ever played both ways. annoying, but exciting.

Kyle
02-27-2015, 01:01 AM
God I hope the Wings build on this 2-2 tie and finish off SJ! Been twice as good all night, Niemi totally bailing them out. Between recent robberies by Price and Quick and this, I'd say I've seen enough of good goalies for this year.

This year is probably Detroit's best chance to win a cup since 2010. I hope they get it together down the stretch and reflect that. It's all on Jimmy Howard.

chgorman
03-01-2015, 08:03 AM
God I hope the Wings build on this 2-2 tie and finish off SJ! Been twice as good all night, Niemi totally bailing them out. Between recent robberies by Price and Quick and this, I'd say I've seen enough of good goalies for this year.

I was only able to see most of the first period, so DET must have picked it up in the 2nd and 3rd, cuz SJ was doing all the dominating while I was watching. They owned the Wings for the 1st half of the 1st period at the very least.

Regardless, great win vs. SJ, then beating NSH yesterday to conclude the 6 gm road trip was awesome. To go 4-1-1 on the road trip to the West without Zetts for all but the first 2 games of the trip is pretty phenomenal. The Wings' 10-0-2 record vs. the central division this year is pretty phenomenal as well, after beating NSH yesterday.

DET now also the only team in the league who hasn't lost consecutive games in regulation. Time to head back to DET and rack up some more wins. Next 3 gms could be tough with NYR, CGY and @BOS up next, but then get EDM, CBJ and @PHI after that. Gotta get some more wins now, cuz the sched looks pretty tough to finish the season after the next 6 gms.

chgorman
03-02-2015, 01:57 PM
Thoughts on the Zidlicky acquisition? I can't say I like or dislike it at this point, just happy that they didn't have to give up anything of real value for him. Hopefully his defensive game has picked up a bit over the past few yrs in NJ, 'cuz he used to be terrible in his own zone and that won't fly in DET.

Kyle
03-02-2015, 02:23 PM
Thoughts on the Zidlicky acquisition? I can't say I like or dislike it at this point, just happy that they didn't have to give up anything of real value for him. Hopefully his defensive game has picked up a bit over the past few yrs in NJ, 'cuz he used to be terrible in his own zone and that won't fly in DET.

He's a really solid D-man. Not great, but solid. Good offensively. For a 3rd round pick (Which is a virtual non factor), it was a really solid few-year rental.

This was a great trade deadline for Holland. Gave up very little, got back quite a bit. These guys are major depth additions to the Wing's bottom roster. Zidlicky is better than your average bottom-2 D, and Cole is better than Weiss or Abdelkader.

Doctego
03-02-2015, 03:39 PM
I like this a lot for them, much more than taking on Phaneuf's monster deal.

chgorman
03-02-2015, 06:11 PM
Oh yeah, WAY better than taking on Phaneuf's ridiculous contract. Glad to hear some props for Zidlicky. I haven't heard much about him since he left Minny.

chgorman
03-05-2015, 07:25 AM
Nice to get the win last night, but jeezus, that was sloppy as shit! Gotta clean that up going forward. No way DET should be giving up 40 shots vs. anyone. You could tell Babs was pissed.

Nice start for Zidz. He looked pretty good. Cole was mostly invisible IMO, but I imagine he'll come around.

chgorman
03-08-2015, 01:45 PM
Well, hopefully all of those idiotic Wings fans who think Gustavsson is the answer will shut their yaps now. I've only seen 2 periods so far, and he's looked absolutely terrible on all 4 goals against so far. Him and Weiss are the sole reasons why DET is going to lose this game.

Dubz
03-08-2015, 05:15 PM
Looks like he is out and Mrazek is back up. You can thank Lucic if you like lol

Kyle
03-13-2015, 08:02 PM
The win/loss doesn't show it too badly but I think this could be the worst two weeks the Wings have had since Lidstrom's retirement. There have been way worse losing stretches since then but that was just because the team couldn't score. Systematically, they were sound.

I've never seen the system so exposed as much as the last few weeks. Defensively, this team has been miserable dog shit. Ever since Mrazek started playing it's been one non-stop turnover fiesta by ALL 6 D-men. The team allows 4 goals consistently vs teams that matter. It's been shameful.

Never seen this before as a Wings fan in all my life. Literally. A true sign of the change of eras. The team needs to address it's blue line this offseason. A guy like Phaneuf is officially a sensible solution.

chgorman
03-14-2015, 12:43 PM
I see the offence turning the puck over more than the defence, and they seem to do it at the worst possible times too - right at their own blue line while starting a rush, sometimes when there's only one man back due to a line change, often times creating an opposing team odd-man rush into the defensive zone. They seem to be going offside a TON too. And a lot of times, it's when they can actually have a clean puck possession entry into the zone and create a scoring chance, but somebody goes off side, or the guy with the puck makes an ill advised move right at the line putting other guys offside. Noticed it a lot last game in particular.

Definitely some things that need to be cleaned up.

chgorman
03-14-2015, 03:05 PM
Well that was disgusting.

Kyle
03-14-2015, 08:35 PM
I've never been less happy to be right. I call it the worst defensive slump in the post-Lidstrom era, and the Wings answer with far and beyond the worst game of the post-Lidstrom era. What a total, flat out, unequivocal disaster that was.

Howard was a .921/2.10 goalie. Now he's hardly above .91 and nearly 2.5. From top 5 to hardly top 15.

I fully expect this team to look way better come playoff time. They will not blow the playoff spot, but will clearly have to settle for 5th-8th seed.

chgorman
03-15-2015, 07:44 AM
Hopefully that beatdown wakes them the fuck up. Something has to change. That's for sure. Dats, Zetts, Abs, Cole and Zidz are the only ones out there who are accomplishing anything. Tats is trying to be too fancy, Nyquist has disappeared completely, Weiss is a fucking joke, Jurco can't do shit, the 4th line isn't accomplishing anything defensively or offensively, Ericsson is a fucking mess, Quincey and DeK are invisible when they're not making mistakes/turning over the puck, Smith can't hit the net to save his life (new Sammy?), Kron probably has a conky (can't believe they put him back in the game yesterday... he was fucking lost for a good minute or two after that hit yesterday). Howard has been mediocre at best since coming back from injury. Pulkinen gets a pass since he's a rook, but he still needs to do a better job of hitting the net with that insane clapper of his, and Glendening gets a pass because he's NOT a 1st line player but is there until Helm is back.

They need Helm back BAD! Hopefully he's back today. He brings so much speed and tenacity, that first line is completely different without him on it. He really is a key guy for them this season, and I didn't really realize how much until he's missed a few games recently. He's not the answer, but I think having him back will make a big diff.

If that debacle yesterday doesn't light a fire under some of these guys, Babs needs to start benching some peeps and get some kids up from GR who actually give a shit to inject some life into the lineup. 3 wks ago I thought DET had a decent chance to finish 1st in the div. Now 3rd in the div is the absolute best they'll finish, and they may even struggle to get a wild card spot if they keep this up and BOS and OTT keep killing it.

They'd better wake the fuck up and get a win @PIT today, which is much easier said than done.

two24four
03-15-2015, 10:03 AM
As hot as the Sens are I wouldn't worry to much about them if I was a Wings fan, they are still 10 points behind the Wings. That's a lot of ground to make up in 15 games, unless the Wings really fall off. Only team you guys should be worried about right now is Boston, whether they can jump the Wings for 3rd in the Atlantic putting the Wings into a WC spot.

chgorman
03-15-2015, 11:35 AM
I love Mrazek's new pads. Not sure why more goalies don't put their team logo on their pads. He did it for a while in GR too.

chgorman
03-15-2015, 01:06 PM
This game is like night and day compared to yesterday.

Kyle
03-15-2015, 05:38 PM
Great game indeed, but more Pittsburgh just turning it in after a few tough series in the 1st. That was like, the 12th or 13th time I've seen the Crosby-era Penguins just totally lose their shit once they fall behind a goal or two just because of a penalty here and there they disagree with. It's always the same thing. It's never tough hockey, it's never good, hard hits. It's always dirty, petty bullshit, lame little cheap shots, hits way after the whistle, and exponential penalties. Never just a 2 minute minor, they have to take 2-3 minors, a game misconduct from skill players all over the place, cheap runs at the goalie even when they're on the powerplay.

And it's always when there's a game totally within reach. I felt like I was watching those little bitch fits they threw every game vs the Flyers during that one playoff series recently.

I mean, honestly, if your composure is so lacking that you're tacking refs and body slamming them to the ice, you need to get a fucking grip. That game misconduct was warranted.

64 penalty minutes for the Pens, 4 game misconducts, all with literally no provocation what-so-ever.

chgorman
03-19-2015, 09:05 PM
Brendan Smith couldn't hit the net if he was the only one on the ice and was standing at the top of the crease. Brutal. Totally the new Sammy.

Kyle
03-20-2015, 05:02 PM
Yeah, another shit night. Mrazek looked weak.

Larkins won the Big Ten rookie of the year.

chgorman
03-23-2015, 08:10 AM
Certainly not complaining, I'll take an OT win vs. STL any day, but how on earth did the refs let Abby's winner stand? Stick is clearly broken before he knocks the puck into the net with it.

Dubz
03-23-2015, 10:22 AM
I said the same thing but watching in real time i didnt notice so i guess neither did they? But then again the refs love DET so....

Jake
03-23-2015, 06:02 PM
Before Kyle jumps you ass, I'll just say that the Wings have a tendency to be at the wrong end of blown calls.

chgorman
03-25-2015, 12:17 PM
Jimmy better get his shit together, and fast. Giving up 5 goals to ARI (a number of them pretty weak) is a joke. He should be embarrassed.

chgorman
03-27-2015, 03:19 PM
goalie controversy...? Yes? No?

Kyle
03-28-2015, 01:49 AM
No only because Mrazek has been a total piece of shit as well. This is 100% the same as last year. Howard is good but not good enough (The difference is this year he chose to play great for 35 games then miserable his next 12 so it seems like he's playing a lot worse than he is over the full season, in reality, Howard is playing better than last year overall), and his backup has a better win/loss but doesn't actually play well. No difference here.

That said, yes, at some point you do have to consider starting Mrazek, but he's allowed 3-5+ goals in like, 8 out of his last 12 starts it seems, so he hardly feels like an answer. Mrazek was no better than Howard in the 6-4 loss. His 2 goals allowed were extremely suspect and cost the Wings their comeback.

fancy19
04-02-2015, 03:08 PM
Wings need a win tonight!

Doctego
04-02-2015, 03:19 PM
Is there any reason to worry about Howard as a keeper? My season in this league is shot so I'm only concerned with next year.

Kyle
04-02-2015, 03:40 PM
For sure there's a reason to worry.

I still say there is a 70% chance at least that Howard will play around 60 games next year. Mrazek has been good but freakishly inconsistent. He's far from starter-ready.

Kyle
04-02-2015, 09:09 PM
Way to fucking go Mrazek. Might've just ended the season.

two24four
04-02-2015, 09:11 PM
That was a tough game for the Wings to lose. Boston gets two points to tie them and Ottawa has one point so far tonight still playing in OT for another.

Edit: Ottawa wins in OT. They also pick up two points.

chgorman
04-02-2015, 10:55 PM
What a brutal collapse tonight, and for the past month and a half in general. Embarrassing.

Need Dats back SOOO bad right now.

Even with him in the lineup, I'm not particularly confident about a playoff spot right now.

Kyle
04-03-2015, 01:05 AM
That was one of the most difficult 3rd periods of hockey I've ever watched, without a doubt. Just the sheer fucking inevitability of it all as soon as Det went up 2-0 was so depressing. As good as the game was going, it was just a guarantee that Boston was going to push in the 3rd after going down 2 and Detroit has failed basically 100% of the time in those situations the last 6-8 weeks. Seriously, who on planet Earth did NOT know that lead was about to evaporate fast? But to actually give up the 3rd goal to blow the OT? That was just sickening.

Detroit has to be quietly challenging a record for most 2 goal leads blown in a season, ironic considering they've also had a crazy amount of late game 2+ goal comebacks as well. What a fucking weird season. Truly a tale of two teams.

chgorman
04-03-2015, 11:46 AM
Surprised to see Babs going back to Mrazek tomorrow. Last night wasn't totally his fault, but you also have to be able to count on your goalie to hold a 2 goal 3rd period lead, and he didn't. Thought Jimmy would be in tomorrow for sure. Hopefully this lights a fire under him in preparation for the playoffs. That's assuming they even make it in, of course, which is obviously only about a 50/50 chance at this point, considering how they've been playing over the past while.

Dubz
04-03-2015, 12:53 PM
I enjoyed that game.....the Bruins are playing for their lives. Mrzek made some great plays but fucked up a couple as well. Fortunately the Wings play CAR twice next week so they have a chance....plus they have that 20 something year record to keep intact. Good Luck guys.

Dubz
04-03-2015, 01:03 PM
Says here Jimmy is going and Dats is back;

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=761321&navid=nhl:topheads

chgorman
04-03-2015, 07:21 PM
Says here Jimmy is going and Dats is back;

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=761321&navid=nhl:topheads

Cool, thx Dubz. The note I saw earlier on rotoworld said Mrazek tomorrow, but looks like that was wrong and/or Babs changed his mind. Mrazec in on Sunday now.

chgorman
04-04-2015, 11:56 PM
I don't think I've ever seen a team fan on as many shots as Minny did tonight. Wings got lucky. Minnesota shoulda had 5+ goals in regulation if they could've pulled the trigger and not fired a blank so often.

Dubz
04-05-2015, 12:08 AM
Pendulum

Kyle
04-05-2015, 12:29 AM
I don't think I've ever seen a team fan on as many shots as Minny did tonight. Wings got lucky. Minnesota shoulda had 5+ goals in regulation if they could've pulled the trigger and not fired a blank so often.

Yeah, this game goes under Jimmy's "Come on man" column because it had so many opportunities for him to seize and have a good game. Somehow he snatched mediocrity from the jaws of greatness. The body language after the 2nd goal was so sad to see. How many times have we seen that short clip in 2015? Howard allows a goal from the point, and just looks depressed and ready to quit. His shoulders sink and his arms collapse a bit inwards. It's the same exact clip over and over and I never saw this from Howie before this crap streak.

The goal wasn't his fault. All these point shots are not his fault. So stop sulking!

And his reactions to the shootout goals while the shootout was still in affect. Come on man. Have some f*cking composure and stop telegraphing to the entire world that you fear for your career. What is Howard so damn depressed about? If he's run out of Detroit he'll start somewhere else. Like, damn man, just find some fucking way to get your mind back to neutral and enough with this woe is me shit!

He was actually good tonight, but he really had the opportunity to be better. Won't get much easier than it was tonight and he made it very hard on himself.

chgorman
04-05-2015, 08:08 AM
I agree about the body language. I like that he's obviously got some fire in him right now, but at the same time, gotta keep some semblance of composure out there.

Glad he got the shootout win, despite how ugly it was. Step in the right direction, anyway. Should help with the confidence at least a little bit. Hopefully he uses it as a bit of a springboard to get back on track.

Two very winnable games coming up vs. CAR. If they can take those two and beat WSH tonight or MTL later in the week, I believe that secures a playoff spot regardless of what OTT or BOS do, but I haven't looked into all of the variables.

Kyle
04-05-2015, 02:48 PM
To be fair, Mrazek's had the same body language for the last long while as well. They're both just doom and gloom these days. I guess when the starter changes like 17 times in 30 games, they both have no confidence.

Edit - Good game vs Washington. A loss is a loss but its nice to see the team looking competent. Holtby is great.

chgorman
04-08-2015, 03:43 PM
Cole done for the season and playoffs with a spinal cord contusion. That sucks. He was just starting to get comfortable and get on a roll with Abby and Zetts before getting hurt. Was getting some points and making a noticeable impact. Woulda been a huge asset in the playoffs (assuming they even make it in) with his physicality, speed and scoring ability.

On a brighter note, Abby may be back tomorrow. Let's hope.

chgorman
04-09-2015, 10:04 PM
Glad the playoff streak is officially extended, but... WTF JIM?!?!?! Those last two goals tonight were atrocious! The playoff streak lives in spite of him, definitely not because of him. Those goals cannot happen in the playoffs. Wonder if Babs'll go to Mrazek for the final reg season gm on Saturday? There's obviously something wrong with Jimmy right now.

Dubz
04-10-2015, 10:15 AM
Congrats

Kyle
04-10-2015, 10:18 AM
Nothing to celebrate here. Sloppy game, miserable D/goalie play. Limping into a postseason they have no chance of winning a series in. Det has to beat Mtl or TB - no chance.

I hate "defaulting" into the playoffs rather than earning it.

chgorman
04-10-2015, 06:57 PM
I like their chances against TB much more than I like than their chances against MTL. They'll get swept by MTL. I think they can at least win a few gms vs. TB.

Kyle
04-11-2015, 02:24 AM
I like their chances against TB much more than I like than their chances against MTL. They'll get swept by MTL. I think they can at least win a few gms vs. TB.

(To each his own but) I actually prefer Mtl because their offense is pathetic. TB is an all around beast of a team. MTL relies on a goalie. Det can handle a team that relies on a goalie and at least make it 50/50. TB, however, simply outclasses Detroit endlessly in every area of the game.

chgorman
04-11-2015, 11:42 AM
Guess we'll agree to disagree. Hot goalies (like Price) seem to be the Wings' undoing all too often in the playoffs. Bishop is good, but he's no Price. I like their chances against Bishop more than I like their chances against price. Aside from the goalies, I feel DET actually matches up well with both teams if they have everyone healthy, so with that in mind, I'd prefer they play Bishop over Price.

Regardless, if the Wings can't consistently get even above average goaltending from Howard or Mrazek, they won't win more than one or two gms - if any - against either team.

And that's not even considering the possibility of falling to 8th and having to play the Rags. That's a whole other story.

Bottom line, I think we can agree that neither of us like the chances of beating any of the 3 possible opponents.

Kyle
04-11-2015, 11:53 AM
Nope. Truly a fat chance to advance this year, but hey, the Wings are rarely this much of an obvious underdog so lets embrace it!

chgorman
04-11-2015, 12:22 PM
Good point!

Mrazek starting today vs. CAR. I'm kinda hoping he has an unbelievable game and Babs starts him in gm 1. I have no confidence in Jimmy right now.

Kyle
04-11-2015, 12:31 PM
Personally, I'd just prefer a game where our defense doesn't force a goalie to be unbelievable. I still prefer Howie in the playoffs, just based on history, right down to his stellar 2.00 GAA and .93 sv% last year. He was by far the best Wing during the run where they took Chicago to 14 games as well.

chgorman
04-11-2015, 09:30 PM
Personally, I'd just prefer a game where our defense doesn't force a goalie to be unbelievable. I still prefer Howie in the playoffs, just based on history, right down to his stellar 2.00 GAA and .93 sv% last year. He was by far the best Wing during the run where they took Chicago to 14 games as well.

Agreed. Jimmy's certainly had his moments and done well in the playoffs in the past. And experience is invaluable in the playoffs at any position, especially in goal. But at this point, after the last two goals he let in vs. MTL, if I were Babs, I wouldn't trust Jimmy to start a preseason game, let alone a playoff game. This is the perfect opportunity to get Mrazek some playoff experience, especially after the way he played today, despite it just being against the Canes. Nobody is expecting DET to advance past the first round given how bad they've been recently. Might as well get Mrazek some playoff experience now when there's no pressure or expectations and see how he handles it. Better for him to get that experience now than have to go to him next yr or in a couple yrs on no playoff experience when the team is actually a legit contender for the cup. Neither guy *deserves* to start based on recent play, but I'll give Mrazek the benefit of the doubt because he's basically a rookie. Jimmy has no excuses at this point.

Rocklobster
04-11-2015, 10:54 PM
Is Howard still not 100% recovered from injury? I think I would start Mrazek first and ride him until he loses and then hopefully Howard is more healthy at that point to step up.

phaneuf6
04-12-2015, 02:19 PM
Hearing that, should Babcock leave, the coaching gig in Detroit is already spoken for. I think Buffalo is the odds-on favourite to land Babcock if he leaves Detroit.

chgorman
04-12-2015, 07:50 PM
Hearing that, should Babcock leave, the coaching gig in Detroit is already spoken for. I think Buffalo is the odds-on favourite to land Babcock if he leaves Detroit.

Jeff Blashill? Griffs coach...

phaneuf6
04-12-2015, 10:41 PM
Jeff Blashill? Griffs coach...

No idea, didn't get specifics. But very, very good source.

chgorman
04-13-2015, 09:12 AM
No idea, didn't get specifics. But very, very good source.

Kenny H? haha

Kyle
04-13-2015, 12:03 PM
Is Howard still not 100% recovered from injury? I think I would start Mrazek first and ride him until he loses and then hopefully Howard is more healthy at that point to step up.

Howard's supposed to be long past that injury, but clearly his play says otherwise. I think he's more just snakebitten and lacking confidence rather than injured. His body language kind of says it all, he's so depressed after every goal.

I'd start Howard because I just don't think Mrazek gives us much of a chance vs an offense like TB. Howard doesn't either the way he's been playing lately, but MAYBE he can put that behind him and randomly be elite again. Weirder things have happened.

I just almost can't imagine Mrazek playing well enough to slow down TB. I get Chg's argument that you want to get Mrazek experience ASAP but I always believe in just going all in on any playoff run and to me that means hoping Howard can return to form. That Red Wing team from the first half of the season was the only one that looked good this year, and that was behind Howard's strong first 40 games. The Wings need to be that good to beat TB and Mrazek can't play to that level.

wendel_
04-13-2015, 12:07 PM
Just heard on 590 that Mrazek has been announced as the game 1 starter.

chgorman
04-13-2015, 02:17 PM
Howard's supposed to be long past that injury, but clearly his play says otherwise. I think he's more just snakebitten and lacking confidence rather than injured. His body language kind of says it all, he's so depressed after every goal.

I'd start Howard because I just don't think Mrazek gives us much of a chance vs an offense like TB. Howard doesn't either the way he's been playing lately, but MAYBE he can put that behind him and randomly be elite again. Weirder things have happened.

I just almost can't imagine Mrazek playing well enough to slow down TB. I get Chg's argument that you want to get Mrazek experience ASAP but I always believe in just going all in on any playoff run and to me that means hoping Howard can return to form. That Red Wing team from the first half of the season was the only one that looked good this year, and that was behind Howard's strong first 40 games. The Wings need to be that good to beat TB and Mrazek can't play to that level.

I hear what you're saying, but Mrazek did shut out Tampa last time they played, granted it wasn't a playoff game. Jimmy hasn't been any better vs. TB this season, IIRC. Plus, maybe Mrazek starting will light a fire under Jimmy and help get him back on track. Then again, it could have the opposite effect and completely destroy whatever semblance of confidence Jimmy still may have left.

IMO, Mrazek is the move here. Sounds like the coaching staff agrees. Keep in mind too, he moves the puck FAR better than Jimmy does, and that could be a huge benefit against a team like TB. If you listen to any DET players or coaches talk about Mrazek they almost always mention how much they love his puck handling ability and how much easier it makes things on them, especially the D. To me, that could possibly be the factor that tipped the scale in Mrazek's favour. Likely not the main factor, but it's likely a consideration.

We'll see Thurs. I'd love to see Mrazek take the job and run with it, but at the same time, there are worse fall-back options than Jimmy if Mrazek shits the bed, regardless of how fragile Jimmy's psyche/groin might be right now.

Kyle
04-16-2015, 09:17 PM
Datsyuk is the fucking man. Mrazek was the right move. Amazing game by those two. Glendening was incredible as well. Pretty much everyone else on the roster was garbage though (Except Helm, great show by him as well) and that won't work for 4 wins.

The thing Detroit can really capitalize on that wasn't present in the Boston series is Tampa/Bishop's playoff inexperience. Hopefully they make it easier on themselves going forward because Mrazek won't save them like this often.

chgorman
04-16-2015, 09:36 PM
Refs were brutal. Called nothing in the 1st when TB was taking Wings down all over the ice, then called every little thing on the Wings from there on out. I hate when the refs dictate a game like that on a bunch of chincy calls. TB was running Mrazek all night, yet DET gets called for all the stuff the refs usually let go in the playoffs (especially when it's against DET). Wings took the only 4 penalties called in the 3rd, and only one of them (the Zidlicky crosscheck) was a reasonable call.

Aside from the refs, very entertaining game. Mrazek was beastly. Nice to see the Wings win a playoff game where they're massively outshot. Usually they're the ones with 40+ shots but the other team wins with 15-20.

TB is beatable, but the Wings can't be giving 40+ and only generating 14 and expect to win this series. Need to be better in all facets and need the refs to get their heads outta their asses and call a decent game.

chgorman
04-18-2015, 08:43 PM
Is it just me, or is Ericsson becoming more and more of a liability every game? Guy has been atrocious out there recently. At this point, Brendan Smith or even Kindl would be an improvement over him, IMO.

Dubz
04-19-2015, 09:47 AM
You guys need Phaneuf :D

chgorman
04-19-2015, 10:01 AM
They need somthin'... not sure Phaneuf is the answer though, unless they can get him for cheap. I'd rather see them resign Zidlicky and give more ice time to Marchenko/Sproul/Ouellet/Jensen over giving up assets/picks for Dion.

Kyle
04-19-2015, 01:18 PM
Ericsson sucks ass, and is most of the reason Kronwall has regressed so much. Pair Kronwall with a guy like Phaneuf who can actually take care of his own end and watch Kronwall go back to 50+ pts and throwing his signature hits a bit more. Ericsson had potential but utterly failed to grow into it. He's no better than he was in year 1/2

Tampa Bay is just a lot better than Detroit. This is exactly why I feared this match up and preferred MTL. TB is simply freakishly gifted offensively. They deserved 5-7 goals in game 1, deserved at least 2 more in game 2 (the shot that beat Howard cleanly that hit the inside post, and others). Detroit has been a bottom 5 team defensively for almost 3 months. Never had a real chance vs TB.

This is the Boston series all over again. Get dominated in game 1 on the road but get saved by incredible goalie play and Datsyuk magic. Game 2 the home team takes revenge and slaughters Detroit (4-1 Boston last year). Game 3 we tell ourselves "They're going home 1-1, this is what we wanted" but Boston/Tampa Bay already knew/knows that they're 10x better than Detroit so they don't give a shit if its at home or on the road anymore. Detroit has no advantage here, it's an incredibly lopsided match up and betting odds should be heavily in TB's favor even as they go on the road.

It will be nothing short of a minor miracle for Det to win this series despite the 1-1 tie. It has been among the worst 2 playoff games I've ever seen the Wings play.

I mean, getting outshot 46-14? The Red Wings? Getting TRIPLED in shots by a margin of 32? That's so disgustingly awful and uncharacteristic. No team can ever win the way the Wings are playing without a hall of fame goalie to disguise the weaknesses. Wings don't have one. They did have an all-star goalie in Howard and even he wasn't good enough to avoid putting up terrible numbers behind the Wing's sorry D over the last few months.

I was hoping someway, somehow, they would look like that team that rode Howard to a near-#1 spot in the NHL halfway through the year, and leave the last few months behind them. That was never likely to happen, and clearly did NOT happen. Detroit is just not a playoff team this year at all​

Kyle
04-19-2015, 01:24 PM
PS - If Dion is overpriced, fuck it, bring up a young guy. Just be done with Ericsson, please.

Doctego
04-19-2015, 01:45 PM
I know that this has as much chance of happening as McDavid dropping to them at #7 but I would love for Babcock to become available and find his way to Philly. Unfortunately for you guys, part of that most likely involves a 1st round exit for the Red Wings.

Kyle
04-19-2015, 02:02 PM
I know that this has as much chance of happening as McDavid dropping to them at #7 but I would love for Babcock to become available and find his way to Philly. Unfortunately for you guys, part of that most likely involves a 1st round exit for the Red Wings.

As I'm sure my post suggests, there's virtually no chance of Detroit avoiding that regardless. Maybe Mraz or Howie steals one more but Detroit just really can't expect to outscore TB in 3/5 games.

Hamsterkill
04-19-2015, 02:29 PM
If Babcock leaves Detroit. and I still think he'll stay there, he pretty much has his choice of wherever he wants to go.

phaneuf6
04-19-2015, 05:16 PM
I watched the first half of yesterday's game and thought the Wings were actually the better team. It just seemed that every time Tampa got a chance, they scored, whereas Detroit couldn't bury.

chgorman
04-19-2015, 06:34 PM
Aside from Ericsson (who is just terrible all the time now), the Wings were definitely better yesterday than they were Thursday IMO, but so was Tampa, particularly Bishop. And obviously Mrazek didn't play quite as well as he did Thurs, but none of the goals against were his fault.

Kyle
04-19-2015, 07:04 PM
The game wasn't nearly as unbalanced as game 1 but I don't see it as luck that TB buried their chances. Thats what elite offensive teams do. The only players on Det who can even dream of burying some shots like Tyler Johnson did yesterday are Tatar/Nyquist and they still haven't learned how to succeed in the playoffs yet. Like last year, they're total non factors.

I definitely never considered Det a better team yesterday. They were very competitive for a stretch but once they made it 2-0 it was obvious Det had no chance, and they got dominated the rest of the way.

PS Chg while I don't blame Mrazek, he really didn't help himself one bit. He was miles away from possibly making a save on a few of those shots.

Kyle
04-20-2015, 05:07 PM
Of course this would be the first series with a 2 day break. Fuck!

Also, took a random stroll to Johan Franzen's stat page, and it is truly depressing. How the fuck is it possible for a guy to go from scoring 31 goals and 59 pts in 51 playoff games (over 3 years) to the overpaid turd sniffer Detroit has on the roster today.

Kyle
04-21-2015, 11:59 PM
Well, color me shocked!! I'm less surprise with how Detroit played, and more surprised at how mediocre TB looked. Det was solid but not great, Mraz got bailed out by 3-4 posts, made 3-4 big saves. Det's offense has still been really mediocre but Bishop has looked quite beatable. Either way, it was a good win. They did a lot of things right to slow down TB, but the Lightning really should never look as poor as they did tonight.

fancy19
04-22-2015, 06:29 AM
Agreed, the wings got them in the NZ pretty good last night, I'm happy for another day!

Kyle
04-22-2015, 11:31 AM
Agreed. I wouldn't have given Detroit more than a 20% chance after the first 2 games, but any team can bullshit their way to 2 wins in 5 games. I'd say with this win and 2-1 advantage, it's more like a perfectly even 50/50 now.

The Wings also guaranteed another home game which I didn't expect to happen. They only need to win 2 home games against a team that apparently can suck bad on the road.

Datsyuk is owning Stamkos, but I'm not sure Stamkos is healthy.

Abdelkader was a HUGE addition!

chgorman
04-22-2015, 03:19 PM
Agreed. I wouldn't have given Detroit more than a 20% chance after the first 2 games, but any team can bullshit their way to 2 wins in 5 games. I'd say with this win and 2-1 advantage, it's more like a perfectly even 50/50 now.

The Wings also guaranteed another home game which I didn't expect to happen. They only need to win 2 home games against a team that apparently can suck bad on the road.

Datsyuk is owning Stamkos, but I'm not sure Stamkos is healthy.

Abdelkader was a HUGE addition!

Yeah, having Abby in the lineup made such a difference out there.

I like that the team as a whole got a little more physical out there too. Even Nyquist attempted a hit or two, which is rare.

Great game by Mrazek! yeah, the post was his friend numerous times, and at least a few times TB missed a wide open net and/or missed a setup pass with a wide open net, but Mrazek still made a bunch of huge saves throughout the game.

Loved how into it the crowd was, too.

Still not convinced that the Wings have even a 50/50 chance to win the series, but I like where its at right now. Tampa was by far the better team the first 2 games and they're gonna bring everything next game and back in Tampa, so the D is gonna hafta tighten up a bit, Mrazek is gonna have to be just as good as last night going forward if they're gonna win, and I'm not sure it's realistic to expect that from him at this point in his career.

Kyle
04-22-2015, 05:29 PM
Yeah, having Abby in the lineup made such a difference out there.

Between his first 20 goal season and the obvious impact his absence made on the team, I'd say Babcock/Holland have officially been validated on the effort they've put into developing this guy.

And I agree that Mrazek's first real stinker is right around the corner. So is Stamkos' first big game. Both have to happen sometime this series so Detroit is practically guaranteed 1 loss.

Kyle
04-24-2015, 01:22 AM
The most pathetic fucking team ever with a 2 goal lead. Seriously, I've seen them blow more 2 goal leads this year than the other 20 I've cheered for the Wings combined.

Det was so undisciplined, indulging every single scrum the Lightning threw at them when they went down 2 goals, instead of doing what Detroit is known for and letting the opponent self destruct and take penalties. Sure enough Glendening gets hurt in one of these scrums and almost immediately Tyler Johnson shoots off like a bat out of hell and basically owns Detroit on his own.

This is why Babcock despises fighting and more specifically despises whenever his players engage in post-whistle bullshit. Det's roster isn't built to excel there and hasn't since Babcock arrived. the 06-10 powerhouse team never engaged in that crap. They would always set back, let the other team's frustration boil over, and rub salt in the wound on the powerplay. That's all Det needed to do tonight and you know that's what Babs coaches them to do but these young guys keep getting caught up in the moment and forgetting themselves.

Detroit totally gave away the win to a team that didn't deserve it but at least they've done a remarkable thing by outplaying TB over two games.

Kyle
04-24-2015, 01:39 AM
Edit - Game 5 was Detroit's best game in ages, and ages, and ages. This team is so bipolar and dysfunctional, I really wish they'd find some of their first-half consistency. No reason not to look this good more often.

Hard to argue against Mraz now. TB has only been shutout 3 times this year. All 3 times were Mrazek.

chgorman
04-25-2015, 09:31 PM
Yep, most complete 60 minute game I've seen from them in a number of years. completely dominant in all facets. Owned Tampa in their building. Such a pleasure to watch. The Joe is gonna be rocking' for game 6.

Kyle
04-26-2015, 12:18 AM
Yep, most complete 60 minute game I've seen from them in a number of years. completely dominant in all facets. Owned Tampa in their building. Such a pleasure to watch. The Joe is gonna be rocking' for game 6.

Spoken perfectly, this was the first game in such a long time that made me happy about the direction the team is heading in. Since the all star break, really.

Kyle
04-27-2015, 05:33 PM
Cooper bitching and moaning about the Wing's interference is so classic. The Wings are notorious for it I admit but it's a dramatically overblown issue. The Wings were a top offense this year, not a smothering defensive team. Things tighten up in the playoffs. Maybe that's why Cooper clearly can't coach in the playoffs, he just doesn't get it. He sounded immature, whiny, and unprofessional calling Detroit cheaters.

And this after complaining about unlucky bounces after game 3. He's a douche bag - I see countless TB fans tearing him down for his comments, and mentioning how Babcock seems to be his polar opposite and always says the accountable thing. Never blames injury, refs, or how the other team plays while Cooper engages in media posturing to get a few more calls. Detroit has already been called plenty, maybe if he could coach a decent powerplay with the league's best offensive roster he would have capitalized on more than 1-2 of them.

If the Lightning lose this series Cooper should be booted out of town without a second thought.

chgorman
04-28-2015, 06:57 PM
Kronwall suspended for game 7. What a joke.

Doctego
04-28-2015, 07:51 PM
The timing sucks but I have no issue with the suspension. Regular season or playoffs, that was a bad hit.

Kyle
04-28-2015, 08:46 PM
I predicted the suspension immediately last night after the hit happened. It was clear as day that unlike Kronwall's 25 other hits that look similar, this one featured him truly launching into the hit and leaving the ice prior to impact. He hit with his lower-mid arm instead of his shoulder like he usually does.

It was the perfect time to throw that hit and he lined it up perfectly, he simply left his feet/launched a moment too early and it made the impact way worse. It looked like a bad hit in real time and looks like an awful hit in slow motion.

I was hoping the importance of game 7 might outweigh the obvious need to suspend a guy who throws that hit, but alas, here we are. Kronwall hasn't been good anyway. The team will be fine. If they have a chance to beat TB, he isn't a reason why.

two24four
04-29-2015, 12:12 PM
No Zidlicky tonight either.

Kyle
04-29-2015, 12:24 PM
Fuck it! This is still no more imbalanced than the Ducks series and the Wings handled them in game 7. The Wings are made for game 7's and have never failed to rise up to one.

The only game 7's the Wings have lost in the last 20 years were to the Sharks, Penguins, and Hawks recently, and all 3 of those were game-of-the-year material, one goal games. I don't care if all 6 of their top D weren't playing, Babcock/Zetterberg/Datsyuk simply don't let game 7's get out of reach.

This is either gonna be a close game or a blow out because TB didn't show up. I don't see any scenario where Babcock and gang lies down. Besides, the Wings have been better in TB anyway. Best home ice all season means nothing now - TB already is perfectly aware that Det can stomp them on their home ice.

Game 7 baby :D

fancy19
04-29-2015, 04:22 PM
Crossing my fingers tonight boys! Lets Go Mrazek!!! No pressure

Jake
04-29-2015, 06:15 PM
I'm hopeful, but not expecting a Wings win. I can see this being a blowout for Tampa

chgorman
04-29-2015, 09:09 PM
I predicted the suspension immediately last night after the hit happened. It was clear as day that unlike Kronwall's 25 other hits that look similar, this one featured him truly launching into the hit and leaving the ice prior to impact. He hit with his lower-mid arm instead of his shoulder like he usually does.

It was the perfect time to throw that hit and he lined it up perfectly, he simply left his feet/launched a moment too early and it made the impact way worse. It looked like a bad hit in real time and looks like an awful hit in slow motion.

I was hoping the importance of game 7 might outweigh the obvious need to suspend a guy who throws that hit, but alas, here we are. Kronwall hasn't been good anyway. The team will be fine. If they have a chance to beat TB, he isn't a reason why.

Kucherov dropping his head into the hit probably made it look a lot worse too.

Kyle
04-29-2015, 09:18 PM
Kucherov dropping his head into the hit probably made it look a lot worse too.

But the NHL acknowledged that, they said a head shot was fine in this scenario because Kucherov forced it basically, but that still doesn't excuse leaving your feet and making the head shot worse.

Kronwall wasn't really missed tonight. The Wings dominated the Lightning and ran into a hot goalie. If anything tonight only emphasized the non-impact Kronwall has on the defensive side of the game. Time to move on.

Kyle
05-03-2015, 08:31 PM
Makes me feel better about Det's losses when you see TB utterly destroying Montreal at home like that. At their best they can be truly dominant. That Johnson - Kucherov connection is just lethal and now it looks like Stammer is awake too. Add great play by Bishop and TB looks ready for a cup run.

Dubz
05-04-2015, 09:58 AM
As long as MON doesnt run over Bishop i think the Bolts have this.

Jake
05-04-2015, 09:25 PM
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/04/red-wings-devellano-calls-mantha-very-very-very-disappointing/
Jimmy Devellano isn't overly impressed with Manthas season. I still think that his injury had something to do with his poor production this season.

Dubz
05-20-2015, 01:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8E_zMLCRNg

chgorman
05-20-2015, 07:52 PM
Very intrigued to see how much the Wings were a product of Babs, or vice versa. If Blash comes in and leads them to the playoffs in yr one, might make me question how much affect Babs actually had.

Nothing against the guy, still love him, sad to see him go, just interested to see how things go without him. Hopefully Blash is all that he's being pumped up to be.

Doctego
05-20-2015, 09:47 PM
The roster is good enough that I don't see how a playoff berth is the measuring stick. Win a round or two and you're onto something.

chgorman
05-21-2015, 07:55 PM
The roster is good enough that I don't see how a playoff berth is the measuring stick. Win a round or two and you're onto something.

Fair enough, that's a good point.

Jake
05-21-2015, 09:37 PM
I kind of wanted a shake up, it seems like there have been too many years of a strong regular season only to be bounced in the first or second round. Babcock is great, but I kind of welcome the change. I think (if hired) Blashill will be great, he knows the youth coming up and how to win with them.

Kyle
05-27-2015, 07:15 PM
Woot! Larkin's first great game in the pros leads the Griffons to a 1-1 tie in the conference finals. I have way more hope for him than even guys like Manthra. Larkins is going to be possibly the biggest factor for the Wings going forward, I can see him as the next C after Zetterberg already.

Jake
06-03-2015, 07:34 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/jeff-blashill--as-expected--set-to-be-named-detroit-red-wings-head-coach--report-231315822.html Blashill expected to be named head coach (no surprise)

chgorman
06-09-2015, 01:24 PM
I know that we all knew this was happening, but for anybody who has been living under a rock for the past three weeks or so... Blashill officially named Wings new Head Coach today

edit: Wow, just watched some interviews, the guy sounds JUST LIKE Babcock. Close your eyes and you'd think it was Babs.

Kyle
06-18-2015, 02:38 PM
Larkin wins prospect of the year.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/124547/hockeys-future-2015-nhl-prospect-of-the-year-larkin-parlays-strong-ncaa-season-into-first-pro-contract/

Last two winners? Teravainen and Kuznetsov. I'd say he's in solid company. Both of those guys will be stars in this league within 5 years and I expect Larkin to be as well.

I didn't know he had such a great showing at the world juniors championship as well. Larkin seems to be one of those guys who rises to the occasion. Did great in his short stint with the AHL at the end of his season as well, being thrown right into the championship round and performing amazingly well regardless.

Really can't say enough good things about this guy. He can't join the team soon enough.

chgorman
06-18-2015, 07:56 PM
I think a year in GR would be best for him. No need to rush him. I don't see him going back to college, but I believe that could be a possibility as well.

Hamsterkill
06-18-2015, 08:56 PM
I think a year in GR would be best for him. No need to rush him. I don't see him going back to college, but I believe that could be a possibility as well.

No, he's already signed a pro contract.

chgorman
06-19-2015, 06:42 AM
Ah, ok, thx for the clarification. Makes sense.

I'm guessing he'll be one of the first call-ups if there are injuries, but I think he'd be best served playing the majority of the season in GR, learning the pro game some more, getting stronger, etc, before full time NHL duty.

Kyle
06-19-2015, 06:22 PM
I didn't mean this immediate season - I'm hoping it's a given that he stays out of the NHL for at least one full year. But the Red Wing's usual timeline of 3-4 years can certainly be expedited to just 1-2 years in Larkin's case. I wasn't speaking relative to most NHL teams that rush prospects, but rather Detroit's tendency to wait on them for years and years. But I can see where my wording might have implied I want him playing next year for Detroit.

Kyle
07-08-2015, 09:52 PM
I have a feeling the Wings are prepping for another fairly significant splash this offseason. No idea who or even what position but the signs seem to point towards another semi-big trade or signing. They acquired somebody today to essentially supplement their Griffs depth which suggests they're getting ready to package prospects.

I would happily trade Nyquist+Jurco (or another good prospect) + a 2nd or 3rd for a D-man like Shattenkirk. Even a small upgrade at forward to a more consistent 60 pt scorer with better two way habits would be a great boost to the Wing's chances of competing next season.

Kyle
07-08-2015, 09:55 PM
Also early reports are that Larkins continues to look so strong that he may even start the season depending on Datsyuk's availability. Not sure how I feel, but excited is definitely in the equation.

phaneuf6
07-09-2015, 07:37 AM
Also early reports are that Larkins continues to look so strong that he may even start the season depending on Datsyuk's availability. Not sure how I feel, but excited is definitely in the equation.

Wouldn't put much stock in how players look at development camp.

And wow, that would be giving up a lot to get a guy like Shattenkirk...

Kyle
07-09-2015, 12:25 PM
Wouldn't put much stock in how players look at development camp.

And wow, that would be giving up a lot to get a guy like Shattenkirk...

Really? Shattenkirk is awesome dude. I consider 27/27 fairly close to Nyquist's ceiling, Jurco hardly has any value left, and who cares about an odd pick or two.

Shattenkirk was on around 65 pt pace this year. Will he stay there? Probably not, but anything consistently above 40 from a D-man at only a 4 mill cap hit is a steal. And for a 5'10 dude he plays real solid defense, 23 mins a night for the leagues #1 unit.

Shattenkirk is the Rafalski replacement with better defensive habits the Wings have always wanted. He's Mike Green production but responsible enough to play on your first pair without being a liability. Anyone nearly as good with more size would cost 6m+ and the Wings can't deal with that.

Shattenkirk's game evolved offensively and defensively this past season. Took a major step forward and even got more Norris/Allstar votes than Pietrangelo.

Kyle
07-09-2015, 12:34 PM
Also, getting to use Kronwall/Green/Shattenkirk/Richards as their four PP quarterbacks is just drool-worthy :D Easy #1 PP there considering they were #2 last year with only Kronwall from that list.

phaneuf6
07-09-2015, 12:41 PM
I read Jurco as Tatar haha, so that makes more sense.

But I do like Nyqvist... that trade doesn't nothing for St. Louis so keep dreaming, haha.

Hamsterkill
07-09-2015, 12:59 PM
Yeah, I'm a big Shattenkirk fan. He's a more balanced version of Yandle, in my opinion.

Blues have a bunch of forward talent, though, especially with Tarasenko coming into his own. Maybe when the Blues are in more cap stress (perhaps next summer) that deal could work. They already solved their immediate cap issues by trading Oshie.

Kyle
07-09-2015, 01:01 PM
Haha, nah, Tatar IMO is the Wing's future

And I agree, I don't think St Louis would want that either, not without a 1st rounder at least. Which I'd be all for, but like you said there's no reason for St Louis to act like a rebuilding team when they're in "compete now" mode.

But I have heard they've been actively shopping Shattenkirk so I dreamed up something. I don't know why they're shopping him though - he's an obvious replacement for one of their two vacated Assistant Captain positions and they should be committing to him as much as Pietrangelo at the expense of some forward depth, if that's what it took.

They already solved their immediate cap issues by trading Oshie.

Agreed, I would imagine after that they won't take anything short of a monumental offer for Shattenkirk this year.

phaneuf6
07-09-2015, 01:30 PM
Haha, nah, Tatar IMO is the Wing's future

And I agree, I don't think St Louis would want that either, not without a 1st rounder at least. Which I'd be all for, but like you said there's no reason for St Louis to act like a rebuilding team when they're in "compete now" mode.

But I have heard they've been actively shopping Shattenkirk so I dreamed up something. I don't know why they're shopping him though - he's an obvious replacement for one of their two vacated Assistant Captain positions and they should be committing to him as much as Pietrangelo at the expense of some forward depth, if that's what it took.

Agreed, I would imagine after that they won't take anything short of a monumental offer for Shattenkirk this year.

Elliott Friedman addressed the Shattenkirk rumours in his article on Sportsnet today... I doubt he goes anywhere. I think the draft was the best chance but other things fell into place for the teams that were interest. I'm sure the ask for Shattenkirk is pretty substantial.

Hamsterkill
07-09-2015, 01:48 PM
I was honestly surprised when Colorado was so quick to trade him for E Johnson.

Kyle
07-09-2015, 02:58 PM
I was honestly surprised when Colorado was so quick to trade him for E Johnson.

It was a classic example of a team overvaluing size. It was especially surprising considering how good Shattenkirk was in his rookie season that year. I understand what they thought they might get out of Johnson, and he is a good D-man, but there was just as much potential there in Shattenkirk. Trading Chris Stewart as well felt like such overkill.

Hamsterkill
07-09-2015, 03:25 PM
Oh yeah I'm not saying EJ is bad, but it took Colorado a while before Barrie came along and gave Colorado another good point-scoring defenseman.

chgorman
07-09-2015, 08:55 PM
It's pretty rare for Kenny H to make more than 1 or 2 notable moves in the same offseason (sometimes he doesn't make any) when it comes to FA signings/trades, and he's already made two this offseason, so I think it's unlikely that anything else major comes through, but Kenny has surprised me before.

That said, if they find that Dats is out a longer than they're currently saying and they have to put him on LTIR (thus saving themselves some cap space) and/or somebody else suffers a major injury over the summer or in camp, then I could see them making a notable move closer to the season. But I don't foresee anything noteworthy happening between now and training camp. With a healthy roster and the additions of Green and Richards, they stack up pretty well against just about every other team in the league, so I don't think they have to do anything major at this point.

chgorman
07-10-2015, 07:23 PM
Nyquist locked up for 4 yrs, $19 mill. Pretty fair IMO. I don't think we've seen the best outta him yet.

Kyle
07-10-2015, 07:31 PM
Fair is a good word. Not any sort of steal, not any sort of overpayment. If he stays where he's at now, he's worth at least 4 mill anyway, and if he improves this contract may look like a steal in the 2nd-4th years.

So worst case scenario, he stays a 27-30g, 50-60 pt guy and the contract is fine, best case he becomes the guy we all want him to be and earns a better contract at 29 to stay a Wing into his mid-30's.

It's a proper RFA deal and they avoided arbitration which likely would've stuck a higher price on Nyquist.

Doctego
07-22-2015, 09:15 AM
With the season approaching, how do you guys see the goalie situation playing out?

Chilly_Willy
07-22-2015, 12:13 PM
I think Howard will still get the starter job but I think Mrazek will start showing he is the guy this year. Probably 40-45 starts for Howard I would say if he stays healthy. I think Mrazek wins the job for next year and Howard is moved in the next 2 seasons.

Kyle
07-22-2015, 04:17 PM
I think Howard will still get the starter job but I think Mrazek will start showing he is the guy this year. Probably 40-45 starts for Howard I would say if he stays healthy. I think Mrazek wins the job for next year and Howard is moved in the next 2 seasons.

Indeed. But if Howard returns to form in any way, he might just push Mrazek back a year or two. Howard at his best 3 years ago was 10x better than anything we saw from Mrazek last year. That said, goalies rarely dip as low as he did last year and suddenly return to form, especially since the Wings defense is looking to take a backseat to their offense this year with the addition of Green/Richards. It'll be hard for Howard to bounce back, but he's definitely shown the talent.

Overall Doc, I'd say they're both very volatile goalies to own, but Mrazek in any case will likely split time so I guess you take a flyer on Howard earning his job back because he's the one who might see 60+ games if he does well, whereas I don't possibly see Mrazek getting that workload unless Howard is just total shit.

Doctego
07-22-2015, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I asked because I have Howard in a keeper league of mine. I might have Mrazek, too. I can't remember. I get my leagues mixed up. I think that I have Rinne, Howard, and Bernier for sure.

chgorman
07-23-2015, 08:49 AM
I think I read somewhere that Holland and/or Blashill said that it'll be a camp battle, but I can't remember where I saw that. Probably M Live a month or so ago. Unless one of them seriously stands out in camp, I think they'll likely end up splitting time unless one of them goes on a hot streak or completely shits the bed.

One thing to consider - Blashill won the Calder Cup with Mrazek in net, and based on comments in interviews I've heard/read, sounds like he's going to give some of the younger guys more of a chance to play/earn bigger roles than Babcock did.

If you have both, I'd hold on to both, but I guess it would really depend on who else you're keeping/not-keeping, whether or not you have a farm roster (and if Mrazek would qualify for it), how long you're planning on being in that league, etc.

Long term, Mrazek will be the guy, I'm pretty sure. He's got a few things to clean up in his game, but he's well on his way to being a very good NHL goalie.

I have both on my keeper league team and i kept both (along with Miller and Lack, goalies are quite valuable and hard to come by in that league), however I was able to stash Mrazek on my farm roster as he still qualified for prospect status, thus allowing me to keep an additional non-prospect.

Kyle
10-09-2015, 07:51 PM
Babcock, meet Larkin. You could've had it so good.

What a game so far.

Edit - BOOM! The hat trick for Abs :)

Hamsterkill
10-09-2015, 09:12 PM
Babcock, meet Larkin. You could've had it so good.

What a game so far.

Edit - BOOM! The hat trick for Abs :)
Larkin sounded like he was more excited to sign with DET after Babcock left, anyway. He indicated he felt he had a better chance of making the roster without Babs there.

chgorman
10-09-2015, 11:03 PM
Larkin looks like a seasoned vet out there. Solid game all around for the Wings.