PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Red Wings Thread - Enough of us here

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
11-23-2011, 06:26 PM
No love in this thread lately? Where da fuck did you all go ?

Lidstrom will tie former C Stevie Y on the NHL'S all-time games played list tonight -- 1,514.

Cheers you Wing Nuts!

Cornholio
11-24-2011, 03:39 PM
:heart:

Haven't been around here much lately, still following the NHL in general and the Wings especially overseas.

Can't wait for the early games this weekend :cool:

Especially tomorrow; Wings @ Bruins, I'm having a little party at my place :beer:

chgorman
11-25-2011, 07:23 AM
No love in this thread lately? Where da fuck did you all go ?

Lidstrom will tie former C Stevie Y on the NHL'S all-time games played list tonight -- 1,514.

Cheers you Wing Nuts!

Aside from Jimmy H's stellar play so far, there hasn't been much worth talking about.

My 8 month old is taking up a lot of my time lately as well, so I'm not online as much as usual.

Nice to see Brendan Smith get into a couple gms. Kid is legit, already looks like he belongs.

chgorman
11-25-2011, 08:01 PM
Howard is a BEAST.

phaneuf6
11-26-2011, 01:01 PM
I'm not sure how many of our Wings fans on here actually live in Detroit so this may go unanswered but..

Are there any plans to build a new arena in Detroit?

I was down at the Joe about a month ago and while I can appreciate the history and everything else that comes along with it, that arena is a total shithole.

Kyle
11-26-2011, 08:11 PM
I just moved back to the Detroit area. I'll keep my ears open, especially at the first Wings game I get to see (Which should be very soon).

The Joe is total trash

Kyle
11-26-2011, 08:30 PM
Much like Chg I've also been really busy lately. But lets talk Wings a little bit.

Datsyuk, statistically average by his standards but playing lisuperbly. Love what I see out there, hes been a top performer night in and night out.

Lidstrom is probably on pace for another top 3 Norris vote. Playing incredibly well out there, especially offensively where he looks better than he ever has. He holds that blue line better than anybody I've ever watched in that lifetime (and only gets better at it every year) and his awareness of his shooting lanes and screens and ability to hit Holmer and others flying across the crease on perfectly timed tips, its been nothing short of a first quarter clinic being put on by Lidstrom offensively night in and night out. Thats not to say his defense is less than great, just obviously declining with his age whereas his offense seems to only improve somehow.

Ian White has simply been an upgrade over Rafalski overall. Nothing more needs to be said on just how important and valuable his play has been so far this year. I never assumed he'd come close to replacing his offensive impact but hes done so and with a shot we've needed for years. And defensively I like the clear upgrade, Rafalski had become pure offense in his late years.

Kronwall/Stuart have done their thing as well as we could've hoped, and Kindle/Ericsson have been responsible in their own zones. I've loved our Blue line so far this year. Most goals by defensemen by far I believe.
Howard, couldn't even begin to emphasize how crucial hes been to our current winning streak. This 1st quarter has been his best stretch of his career (you could argue when he had to carry the Wings through injuries but I've never seen him look this good). We have our franchise goalie. Finally.

Zetterberg, not at his best at all but not as bad as the numbers suggest. Hes been turning it around and I expect another PPG season in the long run. He hasn't dominated games like hes capable of but hes been strong and its only a matter of time (3 pts so far tonight halfway) before he gets the numbers back on track.

Franzen has been amazing, probably our best player so far this season. Controls the play when hes out there. Filppula has been rather brilliant also, finally, he'd been flashing potential for too long.

Hudler, Bertuzzi, Helm, Abs, could definitely turn things in a more positive direction, especially Helm and Bert. But overall our support cast is pulling their weight and our best are finally dominating.

Great looking season so far for hockeytown.

Cornholio
11-27-2011, 09:16 AM
Pretty good summary above!

What impresse me most is Howard and the D; not only in their own zone, but also offensively.
Lidström of course "above all", and Kronwall really steps up.
Ericsson and Kindl are way better than I expected, being very solid.

I am / was a bit disappointed by Zetterberg, he hasn't been playing too great (the bottom was the turnover against Boston where Bergeron scored right afterwards). But that seemed to be the touring point as well, he has played great yesterday against Nashville, the line with Hudler and especially Filppula is on a roll.

And giving some more points to discuss, here's an interesting article about the Wings and their future:
http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/43111-Rumor-Focus-Detroit-Red-Wings.html

Kyle
01-14-2012, 12:42 PM
3 minutes into this Wings/Hawks game, I have to comment that these teams playing eachother is a treat unlike 99% of the hockey played in this league today. This is why I love the game, such quality competition between these two teams

canuckthug
01-14-2012, 02:34 PM
I've only watched the 3rd and i've never seen the Red Wings get outplayed so badly. I think the shots in the 3rd are 11-0, only 6 minutes in and all the play has been in the Detroit zone. Im pretty sure the Wings just got penalized but we'll see. I doubt Howard can hold the fort, hes making some key saves but hes also getting lucky as well.

Edit: crucial penalty kill, Double minor for the wings.

You could tell this game had 3 points written all over it from the start of the 3rd. Good ending and the Red Wings dominated the OT session.
The Hawks/Wings matchup has always been a good one. Old school Norris division rivalry.

Kyle
01-14-2012, 04:52 PM
I missed the third, the Wings overwhelmingly dominated the first 40 minutes (Shots were like 29-7 at one point I think) but it looked like the Hawks started to really wake up after Howard fucked up that play and gave them that free goal. I never expect the Wings to dominate 60 minutes against the Hawks anyway. I tuned back in for overtime which like you said was all Det. Hope all these 3 point games with the Hawks don't come back to bite us! Can't seem to finish them in 3 periods.

Cornholio
01-24-2012, 05:41 PM
Great; intense game last night! :cool:
17 in a row

fancy19
01-25-2012, 10:09 PM
If anyone finds a link for NHL 36 : Lidstrom which aired tonight, please send link

chgorman
01-26-2012, 07:31 AM
If anyone finds a link for NHL 36 : Lidstrom which aired tonight, please send link

Yeah, I was hoping we'd be able to see it up here in Canada but I couldn't find it anywhere on tv last night. Thought the NHL Network up here might have had it, since I believe it aired on the NHL Network in the States yesterday (along with NBC Sports), but no dice.

If I can find it online anywhere today, I'll be sure to post the link.

and whilst on the topic of Lidstrom - If last night's game was any indication of how it will be when he's gone/retired, the Wings had better find the fountain of youth for him ASAP. Embarrassing game last night vs. a team that really isn't very good.

alias
01-26-2012, 10:46 AM
I think that was more the Wing's taking an early all-star break. Montreal created a lot of turnovers which isn't typical for Detroit, usually it's the other way around which tells me it's not Lidstrom. If this game occured any other time of the season Montreal doesn't win 7-2. However they did mention since the lockout the Wings are 4-8-1 without Lidstrom in the line-up

two24four
01-26-2012, 10:54 AM
Just adds to what many already think, that DET might try to get one of Weber or Suter from NSH at some point over the next year or two.

Kyle
01-26-2012, 10:23 PM
Weber would be awesome. We'll see, but I don't like the Wings without Lidstrom much at all right now.

fancy19
02-01-2012, 12:07 PM
found it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwHDIDfOJKQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDsdpun8T3Q&feature=player_embedded

Doctego
02-01-2012, 12:20 PM
Anybody see Darren McCarty on Hardcore Pawn? He looked like shit. Apparently, he has fallen on hard times. Hope he turns it around.

fancy19
02-01-2012, 12:40 PM
Anybody see Darren McCarty on Hardcore Pawn? He looked like shit. Apparently, he has fallen on hard times. Hope he turns it around.

Yea, watched him there on youtube, looks bad

chgorman
02-01-2012, 09:51 PM
found it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwHDIDfOJKQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDsdpun8T3Q&feature=player_embedded

Nice. Awesome fancy19. Thx. Both great vids. :beer:

canuckthug
02-03-2012, 01:04 AM
Solid road game for the Wings. The 2 first periods were looking dreadful for the Canucks... only 10 shots. Good to see them come back strong in the end. Nucks were outshooting the Wings 10-0 at one point in the 3rd.. The final shots were still pretty lopsided 43-25. I hate how the Wings are 6-0 in the shootout... If you lost just a few of those SO's, you guys would be tied with the Nucks right now.. We'll get you back at the Joe in exactly 3 weeks... Your home record means nothing..:hic: date is circled. :beer:

Kyle
02-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Honestly as good as our home record is, this is not our best season at home. We're winning a LOT of close games/grinds and are pretty lucky this streak is alive at 17 games. Howard really deserves full credit for that streak.

Canucks played with some good heart yesterday but I thought the Wings put on a superior hockey clinic. We let out some horribly uncharacteristic turnovers on 2 of your goals but good teams force turnovers. Canucks have to feel good about the way they finished though, good on them not letting it turn into a quiet loss. The Nucks rarely let us beat them easily.

Looking forward to catching you guys at home. Wings vs Nucks is some of my favorite hockey in the league to watch.

canuckthug
02-05-2012, 12:03 AM
I know what your saying, the Joe is less menacing then it use to be. The Joe Louis was loud, always sold out and the place was legitimately labeled "hockeytown." Teams were afraid to play their and with the likes of Federov, Yzerman, McCarty, Probert, Shanny, Lidstrom, Larionov, Hasek, Vernon, Osgood, etc..the fear was justifiable.

BUT Statistically, at 20-2-1, they have to be having their best home season ever. 17 wins in a row, and on the verge of getting to 20 is pretty impressive. A few of those wins like you said were nail biters. Shootout wins vs PHX and CBJ and an OT winner against CHI but they all count and i wouldnt discredit/playdown the record (even in the new SO era)...

having said all that...
Jimmy Howard is having a Vezina type season for sure and is definitely a reason why the Wings are rolling at home and in general... but the bad news for you guys, Howard broke a finger vs the Canucks and the steak is in jeopardy. Ty Conklin is brutal.. Joey McDonald is gonna have to carry the load now.

Red Wings next 4 home games:

Edmonton
Anahiem
Philly
Dallas

Doctego
02-05-2012, 10:02 AM
Any thoughts on the goaltending situation with Howard out? I only have Rinne healthy at the moment. Is Conklin or McDonald the guy? I'm finally going to shitcan Fowler.

Kyle
02-05-2012, 02:19 PM
Any thoughts on the goaltending situation with Howard out? I only have Rinne healthy at the moment. Is Conklin or McDonald the guy? I'm finally going to shitcan Fowler.

Something tells me McDonald might be able to help you get by. I wouldn't even consider Conklin, I'm pretty sure hes let out 3-4+ goals in all but just a very few games hes played this year with a disgusting sv% to compliment it.

I don't trust McDonald either but its obvious if somebody performs well for us with Howard out, it will be him. If you can afford the risk, roll the dice and theres a good chance McDonald gets the rest of the starts with Howard out. Wouldn't sniff anywhere near Conklin though, hes just out of it this season.

Nine, those are gonna be tough games to squeeze by without Howard, hopefully we get some offensive explosions and win some 4-3 games or whatever it takes.

PS - What an awesome minute of hockey by Bieksa at the end of the Nucks game.

chgorman
02-05-2012, 04:17 PM

Right now, I'd lean towards McDonald, as Kyle suggested, especially based on last night's game, but I don't think either of them will help you much fantasy wise, TBH. There's gotta be better options out there.

I could see Kenny H pulling a deal for a guy like Nabokov or Khabi or somebody like that. Wings got lots of cap space and they clearly can't rely on Conks or Joey McD in the playoffs if Howard gets injured, so it makes sense to get a guy that can be relied on in the playoffs, a guy with playoff experience in there backing up Howard. Personally, I'd love to see them pick up Nabby despite his previous playoff struggles, but Khabi wouldn't be a bad pickup either. At least he's won a cup.

Doctego
02-05-2012, 06:05 PM
There's crap out there. Other options include Dubnyk, any of the Tampa goalies, or Gustavsson. I think that I'd rather take my chances with MacDonald until Howard comes back.

chgorman
02-05-2012, 10:09 PM
fair enough. Just don't expect a lot. And you may want to wait to see who actually starts the next game or two (if you can) before grabbing him. There's no definitive word (yet, that I know of) on whether they'll go back to Conklin or stick with MacD. Sounds like probably Macdonald, but no official word yet.

Said Babcock: “I thought he (refering to MacDonald) did a good job. We needed some saves so we could crawl our way back in the game.''
He said he would decide on his starter for Monday's game against Phoenix on the flight. He also said the back-up job is an open competition between Conklin and MacDonald.
Conklin, with a chance to solidify the backup goaltending spot, instead raised more questions about whether the team should upgrade the position before the Feb. 27 trade deadline, as Howard is expected to miss at least two weeks.
“He wasn't good enough,'' Babcock said of Conklin “It was an opportunity for him, you want him to grab it. We need him to get confidence for himself and the guys, it wasn't the way we wanted it to go.''

Doctego
02-05-2012, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the info. Even if MacDonald doesn't start most games, at least I won't have Fowler and his -2 on my team any longer. As long as I get 3 starts each week from my 2 goalies, I'll be fine.

Kyle
02-06-2012, 12:11 AM
"Open competition for backup" pretty much means MacD has to get a lot of starts coming up. Conklin has had his double digit opportunities already this season and if they're entertaining a backup switch so seriously, they have to give MacD a handful of games to evaluate him. His performance is a risk but I'd call it a fairly safe bet right now that you'll at least get a solid amount of starts out of him this next few weeks, and on the Wings that will equal at least a few wins.

On an offnote, its fantastic to sit here and discuss our backup goalie instead of our starter for a change. Can't say enough how good it feels to have a franchise goalie.

chgorman
02-06-2012, 07:11 AM
Thanks for the info. Even if MacDonald doesn't start most games, at least I won't have Fowler and his -2 on my team any longer. As long as I get 3 starts each week from my 2 goalies, I'll be fine.

Well, you should be able to get 3 starts a week out of Rinne alone, but if you need some insurance with an extra start or two a week, I guess MacD isn't the worst pickup. I'd probably lean towards Dubnyk or Garon of the other options you mentioned, over going with MacD, but who knows, maybe he'll get a bunch of starts and will light it up. Here's hoping anyway, haha!

chgorman
02-06-2012, 02:08 PM
MacDonald gets the start in PHX tonight

WIS
02-11-2012, 06:29 PM
Went to the game last night. It was a good one. But man did I snooze during Bertuzzi's shootout attempt :lol: He made it look good at the last second though. Overall, a good game to be at considering the home streak record they got going on.

Kyle
02-11-2012, 11:21 PM
Looking like Mac should've been a solid pickup if you rolled the dice with him, Doc.

Doctego
02-12-2012, 01:07 AM
Looking like Mac should've been a solid pickup if you rolled the dice with him, Doc.

I did indeed.:)

canuckthug
02-12-2012, 10:24 PM
So the record is tied... its up to the Dallas Stars now! :fingersx:

Dubz
02-12-2012, 11:31 PM
The wings have sort of grown on me over the past 20 yrs or so :lol: I hope they pull it off!!!

chgorman
02-13-2012, 12:53 PM
So the record is tied... its up to the Dallas Stars now! :fingersx:

Just curious more than anything, but why are you cheering against the Wings to break the record? It's not like they're breaking a 'Nucks record, and it's not like they're doing it against Vancouver either, so why cheer against them? Breaking longtime records such as this one is good for the game/league. If Vancouver was going for the record, I'd be cheering for them despite not being a 'Nucks fan... unless they were on the verge of breaking a wings record, or were poised to do it against the wings, of course, haha.

Kyle
02-13-2012, 01:05 PM
Hahaha, on the flipside Chg, if the Nucks were even approaching this record I would actively cheer against them every day from the 10th win onward. Totally get where Nine is coming from, records are cool but nobody is interested in seeing rivals set them!

Also pretty much every team in the NHL is hoping they'll lose because nobody wants to see a team roll into the playoffs with home ice advantage on some 35 game home win streak. Would be rather discouraging.

Totally get why many people would like to see this streak end.

chgorman
02-13-2012, 01:17 PM
Fair enough, guess I didn't give it that much thought, but that makes sense.

canuckthug
02-13-2012, 01:37 PM
yup, Kyle pretty much nailed it 100%. The Wings have an absurd home record that is snowballing out of control and it needs to be put down. (BTW, the St. Louis Blues have an equally insane home record). I like watching records fall but in cases like this, not so much. If the Wings continue winning, they will get home ice which is obviously advantageous for them. (.500 on the road). The Wings are also 4 points ahead of Van with 2 extra games played so each and every point is crucial.

Whatever though, keep winning until Vancouver comes to town. VanCity = Best road team!! We`re winning that game whether the record is still intact or not.:lol::lol::evilgrin:

chgorman
02-14-2012, 10:22 PM
Sorry nine, DAL couldn't do it. Were never really in the gm to begin with TBH, DET played a great gm.

Pissed me off to see DAL score late (woulda had a J Mac shutout and a Zetts gwg if Dal hadn't scored with 30 secs left), but super happy with breaking the record, and in convincing fashion no less. Final score is a weak indicator of how much DET dominated the game. I think DET had more shots in the 1st than DAL had all gm, although I haven't checked to verify.

Anybody know why the Wings wore their whites at home vs. Ana on Fri and PHI on Sun? They had the reds on tonight, but the previous two gms, both at the Joe, they wore the whites for some reason. Anybody know why?

Dubz
02-15-2012, 01:51 AM
OK enough already...lose a game now ffs :lol:

fancy19
02-15-2012, 09:25 AM
playoff mode engaged

Doctego
02-15-2012, 02:29 PM
It looks like Howard will be back this weekend. Would you recommend keeping MacDonald around for a little bit? I have Koivu to activate off of IR and I need to drop someone.

chgorman
02-15-2012, 05:30 PM
It looks like Howard will be back this weekend. Would you recommend keeping MacDonald around for a little bit? I have Koivu to activate off of IR and I need to drop someone.

Rumor is that they might send Conklin down instead of MacD once Howard is good to go, but even if that is the case, MacD will likely only get a game every couple weeks or so at best, so I doubt it's worth holding on to him much longer. He'll probably start Fri vs. NSH, but after that, he'll have very little value going forward as long as Howard is healthy. If you desperately need a start this week, hold on to MacD for a few days and start him against NSH. If you're okay for starts this wk, I'd shitcan him ASAP and activate Koivu.

Kyle
02-15-2012, 07:51 PM
If Howard stays healthy and somewhat in form, our backup (Very likely Mac, not Conk) will be lucky to see the ice once every 2 weeks. No fantasy value whatsoever. Howard is going to be a 60-70 gm/yr guy, I think the days of Red Wings backup goalies being so fantasy relevant (Due to the trademark uncertainty that used to represent our starting goaltender situation) are long gone, at least until Howard goes down again.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-15-2012, 08:08 PM
Props on the record. Joey Macdonald having some success is nice too. I own Howard in 2 fantasy leagues and other managers tried to burn me and scooped up Conklin fairly quickly. I grabbed Joey Mac the same day that they grabbed Conk and I haven't looked back since! Suckers....:D

Doctego
02-15-2012, 11:30 PM
If Howard stays healthy and somewhat in form, our backup (Very likely Mac, not Conk) will be lucky to see the ice once every 2 weeks. No fantasy value whatsoever. Howard is going to be a 60-70 gm/yr guy, I think the days of Red Wings backup goalies being so fantasy relevant (Due to the trademark uncertainty that used to represent our starting goaltender situation) are long gone, at least until Howard goes down again.

I had 2 concerns. The first is less of a concern and that deals with how much PT MacDonald will get if Howard is healthy. My 2nd and main concern is whether Howard is actually healthy and whether he is at risk for re-injury. He broke a bone and they were saying 6 weeks. He's back much sooner. I know that anything can happen but I want to make sure that he's healthy. My goalies are Rinne, Howard, and MacDonald. If I lost Howard to injury and MacDonald to the WW, I'm fucked.

chgorman
02-16-2012, 07:43 AM
I had 2 concerns. The first is less of a concern and that deals with how much PT MacDonald will get if Howard is healthy. My 2nd and main concern is whether Howard is actually healthy and whether he is at risk for re-injury. He broke a bone and they were saying 6 weeks. He's back much sooner. I know that anything can happen but I want to make sure that he's healthy. My goalies are Rinne, Howard, and MacDonald. If I lost Howard to injury and MacDonald to the WW, I'm fucked.

I believe they said it could take up to 6 weeks, but I never saw anything saying he was going to be out the full 6 wks. Put it this way... Howard is the goalie of the present AND the future for the Wings, so they're not going to take any chances. If they feel he's good to go, then he's probably fine. He wants to start Friday but last I saw, they're holding him back until Sunday just in case, so it's not like they aren't being cautious with him.

If you're worried, hold on to MacD for another wk or two and drop somebody else to activate Koivu, but considering the only start MacD is likely to get over the next 2 wks is Friday's game, I'd have to think he'd still be your best option to drop over somebody else who is going to actually play in a few games over the next few weeks. The other thing to consider is that Howard's injury is not a chronic type of injury. It was a freak accident that is very unlikely to occur again, especially if Jimmy had his blocker modified to add some protection to the area where the puck hit him, so it's not like it's back spasms or some other chronic injury that can flare up at any time and keep Jimmy out for an extended period. I'm not guaranteeing that he won't get reinjured by any means, but the likelihood seems small. I think you'd be safe to drop MacD after Friday's game, but I'm not a doctor and don't exactly have any inside info, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

Kyle
02-16-2012, 03:03 PM
Drop JMac soon as Howard starts IMO

Doctego
02-16-2012, 04:45 PM
Drop JMac soon as Howard starts IMO

That's the plan. Thanks.

Kyle
02-17-2012, 10:15 PM
WOWWWW!! Datsyuk and Zeterberg with their best games of the season, culminating into a beautiful tic-tac-toe passing play ending in another highlight reel datsyuk goal with 5 seconds left in the 3rd...That felt as good as a playoff win, the streaks alive and well!

Nashville is an extremely tough team. Them and the Sharks are the west teams that scare me, if we're fortunate enough to avoid those two match-ups this year I love our chances against Chicago, St Louis, Vancouver, etc.

22 and counting, tied with Philly's 22 consecutive home wins through 2 seasons. Even though we've officially broken the record, 23 will be nice to beat that 22 streak.

Edit - Speak of the devil, San Jose coming into hockey town Sunday afternoon...this is going to be intense. Hope you're ready Bonger!

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-17-2012, 11:17 PM
WOWWWW!! Datsyuk and Zeterberg with their best games of the season, culminating into a beautiful tic-tac-toe passing play ending in another highlight reel datsyuk goal with 5 seconds left in the 3rd...That felt as good as a playoff win, the streaks alive and well!

Nashville is an extremely tough team. Them and the Sharks are the west teams that scare me, if we're fortunate enough to avoid those two match-ups this year I love our chances against Chicago, St Louis, Vancouver, etc.

22 and counting, tied with Philly's 22 consecutive home wins through 2 seasons. Even though we've officially broken the record, 23 will be nice to beat that 22 streak.

Edit - Speak of the devil, San Jose coming into hockey town Sunday afternoon...this is going to be intense. Hope you're ready Bonger!

Should be a great game. :beer: San Jose has been so erratic lately though. They are frustrating to watch. Defense has looked shitty and Niemi has been giving up a lot of goals lately, it seems.

Anyway, they are really going to have to tighten up and bring their A game at the Joe to beat a very talented and streaking hockey club. 22 games at home, unreal. What a run.

I know the Sharks have sort of gotten the best of Detroit as of late but in all honesty, Detroit is a team I would rather not see in the post season. How funny.

chgorman
02-18-2012, 11:37 AM
What a SICK gwg from Dats last night! Pure offensive talent in that guy. Made Suter look foolish then sniped shelf on one the best goalies in the league with 5 secs left to extend the streak. Sick skills, so clutch!

dw13
02-18-2012, 11:58 AM
What a dynamite snipe.

chgorman
02-18-2012, 12:11 PM
Nobody will convince me that he isn't just as offensively talented as Malkin/Crosby.

Kyle
02-18-2012, 02:44 PM
I'm not trying to have a Datsyuk vs Malkin argument because by all means I think Datsyuk is a far better overall player (Malkin has to score to be useful. Datsyuk can be the MVP of a game without putting up 1 point). But Malkin could've sniped that shot with his backhand and probably would've lined it up and fired it quicker. Datsyuk is my hero for that play but a snipe of that caliber is something Malkin has basically done all his career. I still remember that playoff hatrick (was it vs Carolina) where his third goal was a no-look backhand snipe into the top shelf as he skated AWAY from the net. To this day one of the scariest shots I've ever seen.

I guess I'm just saying that goal isn't above Malkin at all. Hes done it all year.

Datsyuks better than Malkin because of the 59 minutes prior to the goal, where he played a complete game and dominated all 3 phases of the ice in a way Malkin simply doesn't have the mind, skillset, or defensive work-ethic to accomplish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0XGCvwk4PE

Love you to death Datsyuk, but 'nuff said lol

Kyle
02-19-2012, 04:13 PM
Wow, who woulda thought JMac would have better numbers than even Howard at this point. To say hes looking fantastic is an understatement. His results have not been a product of our system, hes been 1st-3rd star for all 6 consecutive wins now. Howard needs to come back really sharp and not raise any questions about benching JMac at his peak.

23! Finally got the fucking Sharks.

chgorman
02-19-2012, 10:46 PM
Dammit, I dumped JMacD yesterday to activate Wiz from IR (on the assumption that Howard was gonna start)... not only did I not get the Howard start, but I missed out on the Joey Mac start, and Wiz didn't even play today. Grrr.

That aside, great win today, to keep the streak going against a good team (although I think SJ isn't nearly the power they have been the past few yrs... what's up with Big Joe? Never hear anything about that guy anymore, looked invisible today from what I watched of the game). Nice to see Zetts heating up on the goal front. He's been tossing out apples all yr but has definitely underperformed in the goals category, up until the past few weeks when he's been sniping fairly consistently. Love to see that, as they'll definitely need him producing goals come playoff time.

Doctego
02-19-2012, 10:50 PM
not only did I not get the Howard start, but I missed out on the Joey Mac start

Same here. I'm going to tie wins when he would have won it for me.

chgorman
02-20-2012, 10:34 PM
http://www.playerspoll.ca/

NHLPA Players Poll results. Dats and Lids get some nice props from the rest of the league. Kinda cool.

canuckthug
02-20-2012, 11:20 PM
^
Is that the same poll that rated VanCity the most overrated !!?? that poll is useless.

Kyle
02-21-2012, 02:01 AM
That poll isn't worthless at all. Overrated/Underrated is always a worthless question in any poll. Its just a social question, meant to create a buzz among fans with the results. the other questions are interesting indicators of what the players think of each other.

Everyone hates Vancouver. Why would that poll surprise you. Look at #2 and #3. Leafs and Caps. "Most overrated" might as well be "most hated."

Datsyuk dominated the voting and Lidstrom showed up strong too for being so old. Nice to hear what the players think but I don't think very many of these results should've surprised anybody.

alias
02-21-2012, 12:08 PM
I'm surprised Torts was #3 on the coach players would most like to play for

Kyle
02-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Okay, that one was definitely surprising, especially when he also swept the voting for "most demanding of his players." I guess for as much fear as he commands, he earns equal respect. People clearly buy into him. Don't know if the results would look like that if Rangers weren't tops in the league right now though, that coaching style is a lot less likable and less appealing when you're not winning.

fancy19
02-22-2012, 08:07 AM
Howie looked solid last night given hist first game back, good to see.

Kyle
02-22-2012, 12:37 PM
Yeah, great to see

Kyle
02-22-2012, 01:25 PM
Haha, fondly looking back a decade and thinking about how many people discredited the Wing's central dominance as a bi-product of our weak division back in those days. Now we're controlling the strongest division in the league (next to the Atlantic) - Feels good!

Doctego
02-22-2012, 02:30 PM
Any reason to old onto MacDonald at this point?

Kyle
02-22-2012, 02:47 PM
Gotta say no, its Howard's job now and hes obviously not rusty. He thrives on many starts to build a steady rhythm, he won't be missing more than 2-3 games the rest of the year barring injuries.

Doctego
02-22-2012, 02:58 PM
Gotta say no, its Howard's job now and hes obviously not rusty. He thrives on many starts to build a steady rhythm, he won't be missing more than 2-3 games the rest of the year barring injuries.

Cool. I might just hang onto him because I have Koivu on IR right now and he's in limbo. If I drop him, I will have an injured Koivu on my bench anyway.

Kyle
02-22-2012, 03:26 PM
Yeah if you can figure out a way to not have it hurt you too bad, I'd definitely hang on to him. If Howie goes down for any reason Joey Mac will go back to being a top 5 fantasy producer.

chgorman
02-23-2012, 01:07 PM
Wings extend Bert for 2 yrs, 4.15mil total. Not a bad deal, slight raise for him over what he's currently making but still a nice low cap hit for what he brings to the table. Nice to be able to keep him around another couple yrs until some of the youngsters can prove they're ready to take over full time 1st/2nd line duty.

canuckthug
02-23-2012, 03:52 PM
Booth playing in his home town for the 1st time and Kesler (a Michigan boy) will be extra jacked for this game. The entire Canuck roster will be ready ---- they know whats on the line. No excuses for the Canuck squad. This game has been circled for awhile and rightfully so.
The Red Wings will try to extend their NHL-record home winning streak while the Canucks attempt to gain a share of the lead in the race for the Presidents’ Trophy on Thursday night.

Go Canucks, win this bad boy in regulation!! Put an end to this "pretty little home streak."

canuckthug
02-23-2012, 10:56 PM
because Red Wing fans are so incredibly distraught right now.... I dedicate this song to you. Remember, don't stop believing.:beer: hahaha :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfUYuIVbFg0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfUYuIVbFg0

fancy19
02-24-2012, 09:36 AM
Let's just say you're lucky getting that deflection off Kronwall and then tieing it up with 15 sec left.

chgorman
02-24-2012, 10:58 AM
Quincey looked pretty solid last night IMO, good to see. Took a couple bad penalties, but also drew at least one, scored a big goal and overall played quite physically, which the Wings need more of on the back end. Not a bad return to the wings uni for his first gm back.

Kron was crushing 'Nucks along the boards all night, which was great to see too.

canuckthug
02-24-2012, 04:45 PM
Let's just say you're lucky getting that deflection off Kronwall and then tieing it up with 15 sec left.

If it doesn't go off Kronwall, its an effortless, elementary tap in for wide open Booth. That tie goal was not luck, thats called awsomeness. I can play the luck game too. Your lucky to have escaped the 1st with the lead after getting outshot/outplayed 17-5 and your lucky the ice at the Joe is complete garbage helping the Wings score a knucklepuck/floater goal scored by Helm.

fancy19
02-24-2012, 07:47 PM
If it doesn't go off Kronwall, its an effortless, elementary tap in for wide open Booth. That tie goal was not luck, thats called awsomeness. I can play the luck game too. Your lucky to have escaped the 1st with the lead after getting outshot/outplayed 17-5 and your lucky the ice at the Joe is complete garbage helping the Wings score a knucklepuck/floater goal scored by Helm.

I suppose if this if that could go on forever so I will only say

http://forums.hockeyinformer.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=184&d=1330070129

Kyle
02-24-2012, 08:02 PM
:lol::lol: Thats a wrap

chgorman
02-24-2012, 09:04 PM
If it doesn't go off Kronwall, its an effortless, elementary tap in for wide open Booth. That tie goal was not luck, thats called awsomeness.

Awesomeness?? Really? :rolleyes: It was a smart play to throw it at the net, but ultimately, it was a lucky bounce. Nothing more, nothing less.

I can play the luck game too. Your lucky to have escaped the 1st with the lead after getting outshot/outplayed 17-5 and your lucky the ice at the Joe is complete garbage helping the Wings score a knucklepuck/floater goal scored by Helm.

Complete garbage eh? So why did the PLAYERS vote it as the 3rd best ice in the league then? And I'm pretty sure that goal was much more a result of the TERRIBLE giveaway by Bieksa in the Wings' zone than it was a result of the ice, and the fact that Helm's shot fluttered I doubt had anything to do with the so-called 'lousy ice' which is perennially rated as some of the best ice in the league :rolleyes:. Your team won, and they deserved to, congrats. If you wanna gloat, do it in the 'Nucks thread (if there even is one... it's so rarely posted in that there might as well not be one.)

HT9
02-25-2012, 06:13 AM
Awesomeness?? Really? :rolleyes: It was a smart play to throw it at the net, but ultimately, it was a lucky bounce. Nothing more, nothing less.

Complete garbage eh? So why did the PLAYERS vote it as the 3rd best ice in the league then? And I'm pretty sure that goal was much more a result of the TERRIBLE giveaway by Bieksa in the Wings' zone than it was a result of the ice, and the fact that Helm's shot fluttered I doubt had anything to do with the so-called 'lousy ice' which is perennially rated as some of the best ice in the league :rolleyes:. Your team won, and they deserved to, congrats. If you wanna gloat, do it in the 'Nucks thread (if there even is one... it's so rarely posted in that there might as well not be one.)

You hear that 911?!!?! Stiff beaks.

Anyways, moving right along, I think we all know that the Wings and the Nucks are the class of the West and possibly the league. I like the Rangers and the Bruins (makes me sick to say that) out East and maybe the Flyers could challenge but other than that I see very little competition.

Should be a great end to the season and playoffs! Cheers fellas.

Kyle
02-25-2012, 11:44 AM
Damn right, this is shaping up to be a great postseason scene.

canuckthug
02-25-2012, 12:59 PM

Throw it at the net, lucky bounce !? yeah, thats it. :lol: If thats the case, then News Flash: the Datsukian deke is not a product of raw skill & patience but simply divine intervention and good fortune (in other words- pure luck, nothing more, nothing less )
Henrik passes it to Daniel (basically a no-look which is the norm for the twins). Then Daniel with his head up, wires it, directly (untouched) into the open side. How is that a lucky bounce!? Hes done that his whole career. D. Sedin is a Canuck sniper and he did what he does best. Absolutely no luck.

I understand the Joe has reputation for good ice, BUT not thursday. The ice was garbage. I watched the game and the puck was jumping all game... this is a fact. Maybe the zamboni needs maintence, i dont know. They have no excuse because most arenas league wide share their space with NBA teams while the Detroit Pistons play in a different facility.

Kyle
02-25-2012, 01:25 PM
He was talking about the shot that bounced off of Kronwall's skate not the goal with 15 seconds left. Daniel's goal was obviously a snipe. Games over, Nucks won, Kudos lets move on

chgorman
02-25-2012, 02:14 PM
Throw it at the net, lucky bounce !? yeah, thats it. :lol: If thats the case, then News Flash: the Datsukian deke is not a product of raw skill & patience but simply divine intervention and good fortune (in other words- pure luck, nothing more, nothing less )
Henrik passes it to Daniel (basically a no-look which is the norm for the twins). Then Daniel with his head up, wires it, directly (untouched) into the open side. How is that a lucky bounce!? Hes done that his whole career. D. Sedin is a Canuck sniper and he did what he does best. Absolutely no luck.

WTF :wtf: I'm not even talking about that goal. Get a clue dude. You're out to lunch.

I understand the Joe has reputation for good ice, BUT not thursday. The ice was garbage. I watched the game and the puck was jumping all game... this is a fact. Maybe the zamboni needs maintence, i dont know. They have no excuse because most arenas league wide share their space with NBA teams while the Detroit Pistons play in a different facility. It's not a fact. I watched the entire game too and the ice seemed fine to me. Why do you feel the need to make up excuses like that EVEN after your team WON? Give it a rest. I can't continue to take you seriously after reading some of the stuff you say.

Enjoy the win. 'Nucks played better, they deserved it, 'nuff said.

phaneuf6
02-27-2012, 01:06 PM
Smith will play down the stretch for the Wings. Awesome, looking forward to watching him.

chgorman
02-27-2012, 01:14 PM
Smith will play down the stretch for the Wings. Awesome, looking forward to watching him.

Me too. Really interested to see how he does.

Jake
02-27-2012, 01:41 PM
I cant stand Kindl, he is terrible. Wish they would have parted with him instead

chgorman
02-27-2012, 03:10 PM
I cant stand Kindl, he is terrible. Wish they would have parted with him instead

He's not doing well at the moment, but he's still young, has lots of potential to improve, is nowhere near his peak yet... keep in mind D take much longer to hit their stride in the NHL than fwds do, and he still doesn't have 100 NHL gms under his belt yet. Whereas Commodore is a declining asset and as somebody else mentioned in another thread, has pretty much been rendered obsolete since the lockout. TBH, I'm surprised KennyH was even able to get anything for him.

If Kindl doesn't show any improvement over the rest of the season and the first half of next season then maybe you're right and maybe he's a lost cause, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now. He was great in Jr and was showing solid improvements in GR, just needs to find his groove in DET, which there's still time for.

Kyle
03-03-2012, 12:45 PM
What an incredibly dominant game by us. We needed that bad!

Doctego
03-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Once again, any definitive update on Howard?

chgorman
03-05-2012, 04:39 PM
Once again, any definitive update on Howard?

This is the most definitive update I could find:

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2012/03/red_wings_wont_have_todd_bertu.html

from MLive article (link above):

So looks like he's DTD and hopes to be ready for Fri vs. LA, but I haven't found anything definitively stating he's starting anytime soon, if that's what you're looking for.

Doctego
03-05-2012, 04:55 PM
That's better than what I have seen so far. Thanks.

Kyle
03-05-2012, 05:06 PM
I would call it unlikely to start on friday. I think they're officially entering playoff mode for Howard, upsetting because we would've given him 70 starts this year if his body could handle it. But hes getting hurt too much and they'll probably be close to splitting his and JoeyMacs games down the stretch, Howard has shown he doesn't get too rusty so they won't be trying too hard to keep him on a rhythm, they're just gonna make sure he gets to the playoffs healthy.

Joey Mac has yet to play anything short of phenomenal goaltending since Howard's broken finger.

WIS
03-05-2012, 06:54 PM
I was at the Wings game yesterday (4th row :D - best seats I've ever had) and I had no idea what happened to Howard.

Great game with a lot of action and fluid end to end west coast to east coast hockey. Awesome to watch 2 great teams go at it. If the Wings had Lidstrom and Datsyuk in I know a different outcome would have came out of this game. You gotta give it to Emery, though, as he stood on his head making some key saves at times. The way it started I was predicting a high scoring game, but it ended up being a lot closer than I had imagined.

chgorman
03-05-2012, 07:51 PM
That's better than what I have seen so far. Thanks.

No prob. MLive is pretty reliable and timely for Wings news/updates, if you ever need info on Howard or any other Wings in the future.

Kyle
03-06-2012, 08:12 PM
Zetterberg has the meanest backhand shot in the league for sure

canuckthug
03-06-2012, 11:56 PM
^
I was much more impressed with the Kronwall hit. WOw. That was the hit of the year.

edit: heres the clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwjl_Z7LUCE

Kyle
03-07-2012, 12:04 AM
Haha, I hadn't had a chance to see that before I posted (I posted in the 1st intermisson before the hit) or else I agree I would've had to emphasize that instead! I think Kronwall has thrown some borderline hits this year where his legs seem to lift off immediately preceding impact just subtly enough for refs not to call. But this one was truly clean, drove low, drove with his shoulder, and happened to catch a clueless forward sticking his head way out like a thanksgiving turkey at the dog pound. It was a really perfect set of circumstances and the impact momentum was staggering.

Its definitely Kronwalls best hit of the year and hes no doubt the NHLs premier highlight-hits guy so it for sure deserves some consideration for hit of the year. And very fundamentally sound and clean hit. Shanny will go "Wow, way to go Kron" when he watches this one.

Dubz
03-07-2012, 01:03 AM
His head hit the ice really hard. It looked like he sort of convulsed. I can hear Don Cherry in the background on this one!!

chgorman
03-07-2012, 09:59 AM
I feel bad for Voracek, he looked like he wasn't in very good condition after hit, definitely had a bit of a convulsion there, but man, what was he thinking coming up the boards like that looking back at the puck when Kronwall was on the ice? Everybody in league knows that area of the ice is Kron's wheelhouse when it comes to hits, and he closes on guys in that spot on the ice quicker than anybody. He blows up guys at that exact same spot on the ice on a regular basis, and everybody in the league should be aware of that by now, given how often it happens. Voracek has been around long enough to know better. It's not like he's some rookie playing his first game in the NHL. He faced Kron enough times when he was with CBJ to know better.

Voracek has to do a better job of protecting himself in that situation, and that goes for the rest of the league as well. I've said it before, I'm as much against hits to the head as anybody, but at the same time, there has to be some onus put on the player getting hit to protect himself better. No way Kron should be suspended or even fined for that hit. It was a clean, solid shoulder hit. Voracek turned and dropped his head at the last minute, which is why his head and chest took the brunt of the impact... can't fault Kron for that.

edit: solid quote from Franzen on the hit from an article on MLive, which basically sums up my thoughts exactly...

Detroit's Johan Franzen said some of the onus is on players to avoid these type of hits.

“Guys got to know when (Kronwall) is out there,'' Franzen said. “He tries to keep it as clean as he can. When the guy's carrying the puck and has his head down and his head forward it's hard to miss (his head).''

update: no suspension or fine as per a different MLive article. NHL acknowledges that the head was the principal point of contact but that it was not 'targetted' and that Voracek put himself in a very vulnerable position a split second before the hit by leaning forward and lowering his head into the hit.

Glad the NHL got this one right

thelaughingtree
03-13-2012, 06:12 PM
Going to the Wing vs. Kings tonight! WAHOOOO!!! Brand new Lidstrom jersey to celebrate as well!!!

keyboard
03-14-2012, 11:13 PM
This fucking team has cost me a lot of money lately playing some uninspired hockey.

Kyle
03-14-2012, 11:20 PM
We've been a shit-storm, total disaster lol. We need Datsyuk and Lidstrom ASAP I guess, its been rough out there

Dubz
03-14-2012, 11:56 PM
They are resting guys....dont worry. Ive seen this shit before. They will cakewalk come playoff time LOL

canuckthug
03-15-2012, 01:05 AM
They are resting guys....dont worry. Ive seen this shit before. They will cakewalk come playoff time LOL

The thing is, the Wings are looking like they will face the Predators in round 1. Preds are a playoff ready team. Good coaching, solid goaltending, good defense and they are gonna land Radulov. That's no duckwalk. (what the hell is a cakewalk anyway :D).

alias
03-15-2012, 07:30 AM
The thing is, the Wings are looking like they will face the Predators in round 1. Preds are a playoff ready team. Good coaching, solid goaltending, good defense and they are gonna land Radulov. That's no duckwalk. (what the hell is a cakewalk anyway :D).

You'd be surprised

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cakewalk

keyboard
03-15-2012, 10:39 AM
Resting is one thing, 0-25 on the PP and 4 SHG allowed in 8 games is something else altogether.

chgorman
03-15-2012, 11:56 AM
Resting is one thing, 0-25 on the PP and 4 SHG allowed in 8 games is something else altogether.

Agreed, they look terrible right now. Desperately need Dats and Lids back. the young kids aren't really stepping up as much as I had hoped they would.

Kyle
03-15-2012, 12:11 PM

If we get our important injuries back and healthy by then, we can handle Nashville just fine.

canuckthug
03-15-2012, 03:53 PM
If we get our important injuries back and healthy by then, we can handle Nashville just fine.

Gotta love playoff hockey and the homerism that goes with it. Sounds like a HI wager in the making!! I'll take Nashville over a healthy Wings team. (And you think FlyGuy has an embarrassing avatar :lol::lol:).

chgorman
03-15-2012, 04:02 PM
Gotta love playoff hockey and the homerism that goes with it. Sounds like a HI wager in the making!! I'll take Nashville over a healthy Wings team. (And you think FlyGuy has an embarrassing avatar :lol::lol:).

Seriously? Why? How? I'm honestly curious as to your rationale on that one...

Kyle
03-15-2012, 04:33 PM
A healthy Wings team has always had Nashville's number. Nashville is just a healthy Red Wings with less offensive talent. They literally molded their entire system based on the Wings and they just don't match up well enough to win 4 out of 7 playing the exact same game as us. Howard, Lidstrom, White, Kronwall easily match up on the defensive side with Sutter, Webber, Rinne and gang. And on offense there is no question and no sense even discussing, the Wings absolutely dominate them offensively, starting from superior offensive defensemen and peaking out at FAR FAR better forwards. You have to argue to compare any 1 Nashville forward to Franzen or Filppula. Datsyuk and Zetterberg are in another league than anybody on Nashvilles front 12. Detroit's third line can easily match up against Nashville's first and not only shut them down but play productively against them. Matching forwards with a healthy Red Wings squad is a nightmare for Nashville.

Being completely realistic and aware is not being a homer. This Wings team when healthy matches up favorably to Nashville in nearly every way. Rinne is better than Howard but nobody in their right mind should call the difference big enough to impact a playoff series. Healthy Wings in 5-6 anytime over Nashville.

Your healthy Nucks are looking about as shitty as the Red Wings 0.5, I'd be much more concerned with how they will match up against anybody! Nobody in the Hockey world is genuinely concerned for the Wings just yet, when we perform like this with 2 of the leagues 10 best players (Datsyuk and Lidstrom) in our lineup I'll believe we have serious issues. But for now I'm willing to write this off as players simply being lazy and uninspired playing relatively meaningless games. Bring on the playoffs!

keyboard
03-15-2012, 06:56 PM
He offered a wager, are you declining?

canuckthug
03-16-2012, 01:49 AM
Seriously? Why? How? I'm honestly curious as to your rationale on that one...In response to Kyle's post as well:

The Predators have shown progression and are stronger than ever. This is not the same Preds team that (barely) lost to the Stanley Cup Hawks 2 years ago in round 1 and last year in the 2nd round to Vancouver. The Preds have improved an already good team. They're gaining playoff experience, adding depth --- the Wings are a good team too but they are same team IMO, and the key guys are getting older. I know, im selling the Wings short, they are a strong team when healthy. They have accolades upon accolades but thats in the rear view. You guys can boast about your chances all you want, im here all day! The additions of Kostitsyn, Gaustad, Gill will help Nashville and if they land Radulov (the best player in the KHL) it will only help.

The fact is both the Wings and Predators were eliminated in round 2 last year. One team has improved their team, fixing deficiencies, the other has not. [This is where you say the Red Wings have no deficiencies / end thread, :blah: but lets continue anyway]

The Preds have the 3rd best PP compared to the Wings PP which is in the bottom half this year. The Preds are 11th in the PK and adding Gill should help bring that number lower, Wings again in the bottom half for some reason. Special team battles can decide wins vs losses in the playoffs. As far as special teams go, tip the scale in the Preds favor. Suter and Weber are considered the best 1-2 punch in the league.

Sure, a lot of this comes down to personal opinion. I admit, I have a preconceived notion the Predators are too good to lose in round 1. It may be my downfall here but Im sticking to this prediction no matter who they face in round 1. At the moment, its 2 playoff bound teams seeded 4th and 5th. On this criteria alone, its easy to say i wont be the only 1 who thinks the Preds can beat the Wings in a playoff series. You guys are making it sound like im talking about the current Maple Leaf team sweeping the Wings or something. Nashville's lifetime overall H2H matchup vs the Wings is 29-38-8 which is not horrible at all and this includes those early years. Predators have 2 playoff losses to the Wings (Wings clinching in 6 games both times, so how Kyle is predicting an easy 5 this time is beyond me. Same smashville system but better team). Sure, the Red Wings have had the Preds number but that's irrelevant now. These are 2 different teams since they met last in 08 and earlier in the season for that matter. That was a younger, more dominant Wings teams and this is a more balanced Predator team. Nashville can play a defensive/trap style as good as anyone and Rinne is capable of stealing games. To suggest Howard vs Rinne is a wash is denying the truth. Sugercoating the disadvantage. Rinne > Howard. HOward is a solid netminder for the Wings, but the fact is the goaltending advantage still belongs to the Preds.

You can matchup the HOF Red Wing lineup vs the Predator team anyway you want, but Barry Trotz always gets the most out of his team. They are rarely easy to defeat. People thought the Ducks and their lineup of Perry (MVP year), Getzlaf, Ryan, Teemu, Koivu, Hiller, etc would roll over the Preds with the momentum and second half they had but they failed to generate anything. Year after year, Preds get little credit with their seemingly, futile, subpar roster and yet they exceed expectations. This year they are a legitimate threat in the West.

Take it for whats its worth but my final thought on why Nashville should be a team to avoid is the fans. One of the toughest playoff buildings to play in. I live in Winnipeg and have witnessed first hand how much a jacked up, enthusiastic crowd can influence a home team. Nashville, Tennessee (aka Smashville) has fully embraced the Predators (wearing yellow, being loud, selling out close to 60 straight games) and that is another undervalued factor.

Kyle
03-16-2012, 11:32 AM
Red Wings are a much stronger team than last year. Howard has progressed very nicely. Helm is better than ever and one of the best third liners in the league now. Our defensemen are stronger than we've been in years, Ian White upgraded Brian Rafalski, Kronwall is playing like a top 10 D-man, Smith and Quincey are upgrades to Ericcson. Filppula is better than hes ever been in his career and maybe a top-20 forward now. Hudler has been better. I could argue we're just as improved this year over our last few seasons as Nashville or anybody.

No one expected the Ducks to roll over the preds, and no one compares the Ducks last year to the Red Wings now. You're just pulling that out of your ass to make a more convincing argument. Nobody is disrespecting the Preds or failing to give them their due credit. Bringing up some joke Ducks team that only made the playoffs because of the play of 3 individuals (While the other 15 active skaters did literally nothing but suck dick for 20 games to end the season) as a measuring stick for how good this Nashville team is simply makes no point at all. I think Nashville was supposed to beat the Ducks regardless if they had the MVP running into their building or not. This Preds team excels vs 1 line teams like Anaheim. When they can match Webber/Sutter easily against all your potent forwards, you've played into their system. You only need to play 25 minutes of good defense a night to shut down the Duck's threats. You need to play 50+ minutes of good defense vs Detroit because they play great forwards 50+ minutes every game. When we're healthy (and our 4th line is made up of actual NHL players) that number is 60 minutes. Thats where the Preds struggle IMO.

You really had to bring up goaltending even after I gave the slight advantage? Fine, open up that can of worms. I think its debatable that Rinne is even certainly better than Howard. Howard is still having a better season despite the MISERABLE last month. Before then Howard was a Vezina candidate, dominating this league, and stealing games as often if not more than Rinne. Rinne's only leading category (Wins) is the product of Howard's injury. Howard has played better in the postseason in their limited sample sizes.

So, I repeat, its an EXTREMELY slight advantage if any (I do believe Rinne is slightly better), and absolutely a non-factor when comparing these teams. It is a wash, Rinne is a fantastic goalie and if you haven't gotten the memo from the rest of the league's forwards yet: So is Howard. Nashville doesn't go into any games vs Det thinking they have an advantage in net, they understand they have to work just as hard to solve a goalie as Detroit will have to. A goaltending advantage gives you a solid confidence boost entering a game, like when the Rangers face the Blackhawks. Thats when your goaltender truly gives you confidence with an advantage that glaring. That factor doesn't exist between Nashville vs Detroit.

Nashville is a great team. Never said any less. But they aren't the West's best. The Red Wings and their injuries gave them the opportunity to look like it. But the playoffs will roll around and we'll learn what we learn every year, that as talented and fundamentally sound as they are, they simply need more firepower to dream of getting it done.

They will occasionally frustrate the Wings defensively and grind out a 1 goal win here and there but they just don't have the offense to keep up and will get blown out occasionally (Season series is 3-2 right now for Det, Nashville grinding out 2 1-goal wins while the Wings beat them 4-1 twice). Their defense can shut down a lot of teams for 7 games but they just don't have the forwards to shut down Detroit's top 3 lines consistently. Wings have always done great against the Preds, and so far this season we're scoring over 3 goals/game vs Nashville and allowing under 2. Thats over 5 games, 2 of which we played with basically half our team. If we run into them in the playoffs I'd feel confident about our chances.

chgorman
03-16-2012, 12:07 PM
Take it for whats its worth but my final thought on why Nashville should be a team to avoid is the fans. One of the toughest playoff buildings to play in. I live in Winnipeg and have witnessed first hand how much a jacked up, enthusiastic crowd can influence a home team. Nashville, Tennessee (aka Smashville) has fully embraced the Predators (wearing yellow, being loud, selling out close to 60 straight games) and that is another undervalued factor.

Kyle has done a good job addressing the rest of your points, but he missed this one, so I'll take a shot at it...

Nashville may have good fans (finally, after all these years), but The Joe is as hard a building to play in as any other building in the league (including Nashville, believe it or not) come playoff time, if not one of the hardest, so there's no advantage to Nashville there, if anything it's a draw, or advantage to the Wings since they'd likely have the home ice advantage.

You'll have to come up with a better argument than that... kinda seems like you're just grasping at straws at this point with that one, TBH.

canuckthug
03-16-2012, 04:47 PM
Red Wings are a much stronger team than last year. Howard has progressed very nicely. Helm is better than ever and one of the best third liners in the league now. Our defensemen are stronger than we've been in years, Ian White upgraded Brian Rafalski, Kronwall is playing like a top 10 D-man, Smith and Quincey are upgrades to Ericcson. Filppula is better than hes ever been in his career and maybe a top-20 forward now. Hudler has been better. I could argue we're just as improved this year over our last few seasons as Nashville or anybody.

Most of what you say are redeeming points and i only focused on the few points i think are unsound or misleading. .

So Flip is having a career year on the Wings, (approximately a top 35 scoring pace overall?) and this catapults him into a top 20 forward discussion?? I know hes doing a lot for your team but lets not fly completely off the rocker here. First you say Rick Nash isn't a top 30 and now Flip is in the top 20.

I know you guys worked up a genuine dislike for Rafalski but a 3 time cup champ, an all-star, an Olympian whose played in the big game brings much more to the table than Ian White. Rafalski can QB a PP, makes solid outlook passes and any defensive liability was countered with strong offensive play. White has a good shot, and more physical than Rafalski but 29 other teams would take Brian Rafalski over Ian White anyday. White is playing with Lidstrom so of course hes gonna look good. White has never played like this before. Next year, when Lidstrom retires, (if he retires) you will see the real White.

keyboard

He offered a wager, are you declining?

Exactly. I dont want to sit here dissecting X's and Y's or be here any longer than i have to. I think the Preds will win the series. If these teams meet, i'll put a wager on the line to make things more interesting.

Chgor:

advantage to the Wings since they'd likely have the home ice advantage
No, you think the Wings are likely to get home ice. Look at the standings and look at the way your team is playing. The race is neck & neck.

keyboard
03-16-2012, 05:57 PM
Exactly. I dont want to sit here dissecting X's and Y's or be here any longer than i have to. I think the Preds will win the series. If these teams meet, i'll put a wager on the line to make things more interesting.
It doesn't even have to be money, you could wager forum posting privileges. Then again I'm just a degenerate gambler so my ideas are probably rotten ones.

Kyle
03-16-2012, 06:42 PM
We didn't get Rafalski's prime, 911. I think I'm coming from a much more credible perspective than you are, here. If you actually go back in this thread's history I was always Rafalski's loudest supporter while Chgor and Jake and others continually pointed out his defensive flaws. The fact is, he was a liability as often as he was an asset. Ian White is not the offensive powerhouse Rafalski is, not by a long shot, but he is more than incredibly responsible in his own end and seals our top 4's only big hole which was Brian Rafalski. His offensive skills forced us to take risks to utilize him, with Ian White we get comparable offense from a much more responsible defender who hasn't caught any attention at all this season for getting beaten on defense. It was difficult to go one week in Rafalski's final two seasons without hearing outroars from Wings fans over his defense.

Ian White upgraded Rafalski this year. Period. You don't sit there and tell me how good Rafalski was in his prime to disprove that and I don't care how good he played in that olympic tournament. Maybe if Miller wasn't playing like God behind him his defensive flaws would've been more glaring then too. Rafalski was a stud but the Red Wings are simply better off with Ian White than the Rafalski we got the last 2-3 years of his career. He became physically incapable of playing good defense and he never had the active stickwork to compensate for his lack of body positioning.

As far as Filppula and top 20, sure, I really don't care. I'll give you that that was wrong. But as far as Nash. I'd say Filppula is clearly ranked ahead of Nash if we did "NHL's top 100 players" right now. No contest actually, I'd say most NHL teams would be absurd if, going into just this postseason run this year, they'd prefer the struggling and reeling Nash over a dynamite two-way center producing nearly a PPG on the second line while playing incredible defense. I exaggerated slightly but lets not act like Filppula isn't among the best forwards in the league this year, and I'll say it again: Fuck Rick Nash. You all ride his potential and what he was supposed to be entering this league but we've simply seen next to none of that actually blossom. Rick Nash is a 60 point 30 goal player until he decides to be something better. His potential and the hype surrounding him don't make up for 9 seasons of non-performing, so stop overrating Rick Nash. This guy is going to retire at 38 after an unproductive career and people will still be defending him and treating him like one of the best snipers of our generation, just because he was supposed to be. I'll pass on Rick Nash until he steps up to the hype. Columbus sucks but 9 seasons is more than enough time to let your talent fluke out 1 great season and he hasn't done shit. Filppula > Nash right now, get over it!

Kyle
03-16-2012, 06:54 PM
And lol @ any of you guys thinking I wouldn't bet -anything- on a healthy Red Wings (AKA Howard/Lidstrom/Zetterberg/Datsyuk looking okay) beating Nashville in a playoff series. Money, posting bullshit, whatever.

chgorman
03-16-2012, 07:18 PM
Chgor:

No, you think the Wings are likely to get home ice. Look at the standings and look at the way your team is playing. The race is neck & neck.

Ok, fine, so maybe very slight advantage to whichever team gets home ice :rolleyes:. Either way, is it really enough of a difference to be worth mentioning? Like I said, sounds like you're grasping at straws for that one.

Funny how you failed to acknowledge anything else in my post about how DET is one of the toughest places for any team in the league to play in. If I'm not mistaken, they had a record setting home winning streak earlier this season, no?

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-16-2012, 11:00 PM
Wings and Sharks are both sucking ass lately. Should make for an interesting match up tomorrow.

chgorman
03-19-2012, 03:21 PM
Helm out 4-6 wks. Huge loss if he can't make it back for playoffs, where he's an absolute BEAST every year

Kyle
03-19-2012, 03:43 PM
I saw that collision. It looked awful

canuckthug
03-22-2012, 01:24 AM
And lol @ any of you guys thinking I wouldn't bet -anything- on a healthy Red Wings (AKA Howard/Lidstrom/Zetterberg/Datsyuk looking okay) beating Nashville in a playoff series. Money, posting bullshit, whatever.

Good to know. If the Preds face the Wings in Round 1 (or whatever round), we'll figure something out.

chgorman
03-22-2012, 06:37 AM
Can't say I've been overly impressed with Quincey since DET got him back. He's made some nice plays offensively but seems to take a bad penalty once a game and has made a habit of making a couple terrible defensive plays a game, especially recently. Hopefully he picks it up heading into the playoffs, as his current level of play isn't going to get the Wings anywhere in the playoffs, even if he is just the 5th/6th D in the playoffs.

Doctego
03-23-2012, 07:27 AM
Seems like a broken record but is MacDonald basically useless at the moment?

chgorman
03-23-2012, 09:38 AM
He's out indefinitely, so given that it's fantasy playoffs, you probably can't afford to keep him and just hope that he plays, 'cuz he probably won't. Article I just read on MLive said Conks is staying up with the team for the rest of the year, so it sounds like they don't have much confidence in MacDonald's back right now.

Conklin looked pretty good in the gm vs. the Rangers, so you could possibly get a gm or two out of him if Howard isn't 100% yet (I'm not actually sure what his status is), but keep in mind that he's usually pretty inconsistent and the team in general isn't playing great right now.

Kyle
03-23-2012, 02:58 PM
Don't touch any goalie behind the Wings with a fucking 10 foot pole until you see two amazing games with Lidstrom in the lineup signifying we know how to play hockey again.

Doctego
03-24-2012, 08:05 AM
Don't touch any goalie behind the Wings with a fucking 10 foot pole until you see two amazing games with Lidstrom in the lineup signifying we know how to play hockey again.

Well, I have Howard and Rinne so I don't come off of my bye with confidence in net.:scared:

Jake
03-26-2012, 10:59 PM
How does Steve Mason still have a job???

Dexter
03-26-2012, 11:07 PM

You mean he isn't Vezina-caliber with the bigger pads?

Jake
03-26-2012, 11:31 PM
You mean he isn't Vezina-caliber with the bigger pads?
While I'm on the subject of not having a job, how did that go unnoticed from the equipment manager/coaching staff?!?! After a few years of sub-par play you think that they would inquire as to what is wrong and or look into ways to get him back on track.

Kyle
03-27-2012, 02:05 AM
Yay, we finally didn't suck

chgorman
03-27-2012, 09:09 AM

In his defense, he didn't have much of a chance on any of the goals last night. the defence in front of him was absolutely horrendous, they looked like it was their first time on skates for most of the game.

I hear what you're saying though. No way he should be starting for any team in the NHL until he gets his rookie yr groove back.

alias
03-27-2012, 07:58 PM
In his defense, he didn't have much of a chance on any of the goals last night. the defence in front of him was absolutely horrendous, they looked like it was their first time on skates for most of the game.

I hear what you're saying though. No way he should be starting for any team in the NHL until he gets his rookie yr groove back.

Yeah, that looked like the Harlem Globetrotters vs. New York Nationals with all the slick passes in tight quarters. Can't fault Mason on many of those goals.

Jake
03-27-2012, 10:08 PM
I agree- but I didn't make that statement based solely on the game last night, he has been absolutely terrible the past few years.

Kyle
03-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Blue Jackets goaltender Steve Mason (http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8473461) took a puck to the mask during practice Wednesday morning, forcing the team to sign University of Michigan goaltender Shawn Hunwick to an amateur tryout contract.

The 5-foot-7 Hunwick, who will back up Allen York (http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8474057) against the Detroit Red Wings (http://redwings.nhl.com/) on Wednesday night

lol....good luck kid

Doctego
03-28-2012, 03:42 PM
I have Conklin in net tonight so expect a shootout!!

Kyle
03-28-2012, 04:10 PM
:lol: Franzen and Ericcson are back, they have a first-time ever goalie in net, they just got annihilated 7-2, you started Conklin...everything is primed for a disastrous 5-0 Columbus upset

chgorman
03-28-2012, 05:10 PM
York is starting for CBJ and has played NHL games before (7 to be exact), so I wouldn't really say he's a 'first time ever goalie', although I do get what you're saying. Hunwick (the kid from Michigan) is backing up York, and he's the one who has never played an NHL game.

Kyle
03-28-2012, 06:19 PM
Aw, read through too quickly, didn't notice it said the Michigan kid was only backing up. Either way, Columbus has some fat chance to win tonight, which are usually the games Detroit loves to lose most haha

alias
03-28-2012, 08:08 PM
Aw, read through too quickly, didn't notice it said the Michigan kid was only backing up. Either way, Columbus has some fat chance to win tonight, which are usually the games Detroit loves to lose most haha

wings have a hill to climb....

chgorman
03-28-2012, 09:42 PM
You called it Kyle, haha! Brutal showing tonight.

Kyle
03-28-2012, 09:48 PM
lol yup, Poor Doc, the Wings have treated him shitty this year

Doctego
03-28-2012, 09:53 PM
lol yup, Poor Doc, the Wings have treated him shitty this year

Overall, I can't complain. Howard did well for the first 2/3 of the season and MacDonald filled in well for a bit but shitting the bed in the playoffs isn't helping.

Kyle
03-30-2012, 02:30 PM
Fairly safe to say Home Ice is on the line tonight between us and Nashville.

Doctego
03-30-2012, 05:48 PM
Fairly safe to say Home Ice is on the line tonight between us and Nashville.

Looks like Howard is starting tonight and I have him active so let me be the first to wish you good luck as road warriors this postseason.

Jake
04-12-2012, 02:51 AM
I was hoping that if Lidstrom hangs them up after this year the Wings would try to replace him with Weber, but after last night I doubt that will happen....

Doctego
04-12-2012, 09:15 AM
I was hoping that if Lidstrom hangs them up after this year the Wings would try to replace him with Weber, but after last night I doubt that will happen....

I really think that's a reach. It's the playoffs, last second, Zetterberg gives Weber a shove from behind, and Weber retaliates. The second shove by Weber was clearly excessive but, pending what else happens in the series, I don't see that having any effect on what the Wings do about their team moving forward.

chgorman
04-24-2012, 09:08 AM
Sounds like DET will have upwards of 20 mil in cap space to spend on Free Agents without having to spend too much of it on their own FAs. Looks at though they're going to go hard at Parise AND Suter regardless of whether Lids decides to come back or retire.

I'd absolutely LOVE to see both those guys in a Wings uni. Parise and Dats on a line together would be unreal!!

two24four
04-24-2012, 09:14 AM
I still think Parise signs with Minny, his hometown. If he does not resign with NJ.

chgorman
04-24-2012, 12:07 PM
Maybe, but money talks, and so does winning. If DET is offering the most $$ and he feels he has a better chance to win with DET than he does with MIN, I have to think it would be a pretty easy decision for him. Plus, who wouldn't want to play with Dats? Who is he going to play with in Minny? Koivu is a great player, but he's no Datsyuk.

Not guaranteeing he goes to DET by any stretch, and certainly not completely ruling out MIN either, but I imagine the wings are going to throw the kitchen sink at him if he doesn't resign with NJ, so unless MIN can offer more money and convince him that they're a legit Stanley Cup contender, I don't know that him being from Minny is going to have much of an effect on his decision. It's not like he's old, signing his last contract to retire with his hometown team. At this point in his career, I'm guessing the money is going to do all the talking.

phaneuf6
04-24-2012, 12:15 PM
The thing is, it's not money that drives players anymore to sign in places because virtually every team in the league can throw the same money at a player. Look at Richards last year. The Leafs threw just as much, if not more money, at him and he still went to the Rangers. Might be a bad example to use to compare the Detroit situation :lol: but still, the money can be had anywhere.

Kyle
04-24-2012, 01:22 PM
I would've emphasized "Winning talks" over "money talks." Detroit is simply one of many teams who can offer him the money he wants. Where we can sell him is our winning ways. If we resign Lidstrom I couldn't imagine a team in the league seeming like a more appealing fit for Parise than the Wings. Incredibly responsible defensive system that stretches across all four lines, just like NJD, and a much more potent offensive puck control system that would highlight a lot of his skills (I know he gets ample offensive opportunities in NJ with top stars but Detroit would certainly still be an upgrade, he would be in an overwhelmingly pure offensive role playing winger to Datsyuk). Parise and Suter would be cool, if we lose Lidstrom Suter rises from "Cool" to "necessity."

keyboard
04-24-2012, 04:08 PM
I would've emphasized "Winning talks" over "money talks." Then he should sign with NSH over DET.

Too soon? :lol:

dw13
04-24-2012, 04:11 PM
Then he should sign with NSH over DET.

Well done. Well, fucking, done.

gogoayane
04-24-2012, 04:17 PM
I read somewhere before though that Parise does not want to sign with Wild due to hometown pressure. Plus, I think he would want to go to a winning team with some legitimate chance to go for the cup. There's still a good chance he'll stay with NJ but if they go out tonight (out in the first round again since 2006) then let the rumours begin.

Kyle
04-24-2012, 04:50 PM
Then he should sign with NSH over DET.

The hole in my wall thanks you for sharing this joke after my TV remote went through it during game 5. It probably would've been my TV otherwise ;)

Hamsterkill
04-24-2012, 04:50 PM
My wishful thinking: The Sabres can trade Vanek (contract lasts two more years) for Parise's rights and sign him.

Kyle
04-24-2012, 04:55 PM
The moral side of me just wants Parise to go anywhere but Buffalo. :lol:

Just messing Hamster. Regardless of the no playoff push, Buffalo did themselves a lot of favors to end the year and showed a lot of good things going into next season. Parise is going to be considered by anyone in the league who can afford him, its a total tossup for now.

Hamsterkill
04-24-2012, 05:12 PM
The moral side of me just wants Parise to go anywhere but Buffalo. :lol:

Just messing Hamster. Regardless of the no playoff push, Buffalo did themselves a lot of favors to end the year and showed a lot of good things going into next season. Parise is going to be considered by anyone in the league who can afford him, its a total tossup for now.

That's part of the problem, though. Buffalo can't afford him as is (at least not without getting rid of Vanek's or at least Leino's/Roy's salaries). And Buffalo can't really compete as a desirable location to be. So the Sabres would likely need grab him before he goes open market via trade if that's even possible.

Kyle
04-24-2012, 05:17 PM
Yeah, honestly I'm as "out of the know" on how player's rights work prior to their contracts expiring as you can be. But theoretically if NJ is confident Parise will walk, that deal works out great from the perspective that while Vanek is not in Parise's league, they do get a star forward to replace the position instead of the alternative of being left with probably nothing. If its possible that makes way more sense for NJ than letting Parise hit the market, but I have no clue how likely he is to stay in NJ. Doesn't seem likely.

canuckthug
05-30-2012, 03:34 PM
According to some hockey insiders, Lidstrom expected to announce retirement tomorrow. Another regular season grind, a chance for a Stanley Cup and sold out Winter Classic was not enough to get him back because Lidstrom has done and seen it all. One of the best and most reliable D-Men of this generation. Lidstrom is good enough to be a top 5 for one more year.

Kyle
05-30-2012, 03:50 PM
I agree. He was definitely in the Norris talks (Not a likely winner but likely top 3) at the time of his ankle injury. No doubt that injury contributed to this decision (If true). He would've healed in a week or two from that 5-6 years ago, now it took 6-7 weeks and still wasn't healed. Hes truly done it all like you said, established himself as a top 5 D-man in NHL history. Nothing more for him to prove and if the fun isn't there like it used to be for him, I can't imagine where else he'd find some motivation. Hoping this is just a rumor, though.

chgorman
05-30-2012, 07:28 PM
It's been confirmed by 'an NHL source', if that means anything.

Cheers to a great career :beer:. I'd go so far as to say top 3 or even 2 Dman ever. Nobody but Orr and maybe Bourque played the position as well defensively AND offensively combined as Lidstrom. And he did it without much physicality (a top NHL D being nominated for the Byng is unheard of I believe, at least in this day and age).

Sad to see him go, but what a great career! Easy 1st ballot HOF, will have his jersey retired in DET next season without a doubt, definition of class.

Guess that leaves Kron as the Wings top D, at least for now. Hopefully Brendan Smith can step up and make up for some of the lost offence. He's certainly capable.

On the bright side, frees up some more $$ to go after Suter and Parise. :cool:

Kyle
05-30-2012, 08:50 PM
Without Suter I give us a fat chance to come out as one of the best teams next year.

chgorman
05-30-2012, 09:27 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see them take a bit of a step backward defensively, even with Suter.

So aside from the 'who will they pick up to replace him?' question, next question is, who gets the captaincy? I have to assume it would be Z.

Hamsterkill
05-31-2012, 12:23 PM
A lot of respect to Lidstrom for sure. I never rooted for him since he always was a Wing, but I don't think I've ever seen a better defenseman (since I never got see Orr play).

alias
05-31-2012, 01:08 PM
A lot of respect to Lidstrom for sure. I never rooted for him since he always was a Wing, but I don't think I've ever seen a better defenseman (since I never got see Orr play).

The only defensemen that compare are ones that most of us have never seen. Orr, Harvey, maybe Potvin. As one of the few guys who have seen them both Scotty Bowman compared Lidstrom to Doug Harvey with the only difference being Lids was more offensively gifted, but Harvey was more physical. Both guys had a very calming presense and made the players around them better.

two24four
06-01-2012, 12:29 PM
Lids was on the radio today, said he liked the pre-lockout hockey better, said players were more honest.

alias
06-01-2012, 12:40 PM
Is it fair to say Lidstrom is the best European player to ever lace 'em up? Only other one I can think of is Jagr with Selanne in the 3 spot.

two24four
06-01-2012, 12:51 PM
Is it fair to say Lidstrom is the best European player to ever lace 'em up? Only other one I can think of is Jagr with Selanne in the 3 spot.

I would have Jari Kurri in there as well.

Also when talking about best d-man ever, I would have to add Coffey into the top 5.

alias
06-01-2012, 01:26 PM
I would have Jari Kurri in there as well.

Also when talking about best d-man ever, I would have to add Coffey into the top 5.

Was Kurri really that good or was it Gretzky that made him that good? And Coffey without a doubt is top 5 offensively, his defensive deficiencies hurt his overall rating though.

Hamsterkill
06-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Peter Stastny should probably also be mentioned.

Doctego
06-01-2012, 05:43 PM
Was Kurri really that good or was it Gretzky that made him that good? And Coffey without a doubt is top 5 offensively, his defensive deficiencies hurt his overall rating though.

Part of having a great career is playing in the right situation with the right players. He had 600 goals and almost 1,400 points. I'd say he was a great player.

alias
06-01-2012, 10:36 PM
Part of having a great career is playing in the right situation with the right players. He had 600 goals and almost 1,400 points. I'd say he was a great player.

I'd say great but with an asterisk. He was as great as the 4th best player on a team can be in the highest scoring era of hockey.

Gretzky
Coffey
Messier
Kurri

But back to the Wings, heard Yzerman say that what made Lidstrom so great was that he never had a bad game. I had never realized it but damn, that's true, and that is absolutely incredible.

Hamsterkill
06-02-2012, 12:14 AM
I'd say great but with an asterisk. He was as great as the 4th best player on a team can be in the highest scoring era of hockey.

Gretzky
Coffey
Messier
Kurri

But back to the Wings, heard Yzerman say that what made Lidstrom so great was that he never had a bad game. I had never realized it but damn, that's true, and that is absolutely incredible.

Catching Lids making a mistake was about as rare an event as a solar eclipse.

Kyle
06-02-2012, 04:18 AM
Yeah, you truly had to beat Lidstrom to get by him, there was no taking advantage of bad play on his end. You had to beat him as a team with multiple players, there were very few successful 1v1s against him through his long career. Truly one of the all-time defensive specialists, deserves consideration as the number 1 shutdown player in NHL history with many other worthy names. That he backed it up with equal offensive awareness and an ability to read a play/spring it as well as he did (His cross ice passes are still the best I've ever seen) made him such a special talent we very likely won't ever see again in our lifetimes.

I think thats as much of a reason as any that Lidstrom retired. As good as he still was this season, he was making a few mistakes. And though he was still beaten only rarely, it happened enough to actually notice which I never could say any other season. He still could be the best D-man in the league 1 more season I truly believe, but thats not enough for him, he has a standard based on a whole career that he knows he can no longer play to. Good decision, he went out as a top D-man in the league and thats the only way it could properly end. We don't need to see him struggling for 3 seasons before limping away from the game like Yzerman did.

MrScientist
06-02-2012, 09:40 AM
I don't mean to sound like an insider douche, but...

my Dad ran into Lidstrom in the Novi area when he had that ankle injury. Nick, being the friendly guy he is, chatted it up with my Dad for a few minutes and for some reason revealed that his ankle was actually broken and that the Wings didn't want anyone to know. It definitely makes the timeframe a little more sensible for the injury.

Kyle
06-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Yeah, I did read recently that it was a hairline fracture, not a bruised bone.

chgorman
06-10-2012, 06:29 PM
Wings trade Stuart to SJ for Andy Murray and a 7th.

Hurts losing 2 of the team's top 4 D in the same offseason. Suter is pretty much a must sign right now. Really gonna need to see some serious development from some of the kids too, unless Kenny can work out a trade or two. Pool of available FA D men is pretty thin after Suter.

Jake
06-25-2012, 10:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdaOemuCXp8

It looks like the Wings are signing Damien Brunner. Some reports say its a done deal, others say it wont be final til July 1st. Its reported to be a one year, two way deal.

Spartan
07-01-2012, 07:15 PM
Samuelsson signing is weak as hell.

habsfan1
07-01-2012, 08:10 PM
Rumors (Kypreos twitter) have Suter going to the Red Wings.

Jake
07-01-2012, 11:37 PM
Samuelsson signing is weak as hell.

I hate the ntc part of the deal. The Wings need a right handed shot, but it does no good when the shot misses the net by ten feet. I didn't get to see him play last year, but he had decent numbers. I really hope his accuracy has improved.

Spartan
07-02-2012, 09:37 AM
I hate the ntc part of the deal. The Wings need a right handed shot, but it does no good when the shot misses the net by ten feet. I didn't get to see him play last year, but he had decent numbers. I really hope his accuracy has improved.There is just no sense in bringing him back, at that age. For a million less you could have signed a guy like Moss that has at least some upside and actually uses his size.

canuckthug
07-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Samuelsson is not horrible IMO (dont know the terms though). He was good on Vancouver posting career highs and was serviceable last year with Florida after a slow start/injury. He is still effective on the PP.

You guys should feel better because I think Detroit are the front runners on the Ryan Suter sweepstakes. It would be surprising if he goes elsewhere. I think Pittsburgh lands Parise which is crazy (crazy good for them) but Detroit is not out on Parise runnings yet either. Parise could also conceivably go back to NJ after Brodeur re-signed with the Devils earlier today.

WIS
07-03-2012, 03:15 PM
Wings have offered Suter $90 million for 13 years. Originally was $80 million, but since then have increased it. They really want him badly and it seems that just by waiting he's got himself an extra $10 million on the table.

chgorman
07-04-2012, 12:01 PM
So aside from Doan, who may not make himself available, and Yandle/Nash, who would only be available through a trade, who else is left for the Wings to go after?

Not sure if they should go after Semin or not... if the guy wasn't such a headcase I'd say he's the next best option, but I'm not sure he'd fit in with the Wings dressing room. That said, maybe Dats could set him straight, maybe a more structured room with more vet leadership than he had in WSH would be good for him. Tough to say.

Sucks having so much $$ but nowhere to spend it now that both Suter and Parise are off the market. Really only mediocre FA's left available. Who is the best FA D available now? Carle? Meh.

Any chance the Wings toss a massive RFA offer at Weber?

WIS
07-04-2012, 12:08 PM
So aside from Doan, who may not make himself available, and Yandle/Nash, who would only be available through a trade, who else is left for the Wings to go after?

Not sure if they should go after Semin or not... if the guy wasn't such a headcase I'd say he's the next best option, but I'm not sure he'd fit in with the Wings dressing room. That said, maybe Dats could set him straight, maybe a more structured room with more vet leadership than he had in WSH would be good for him. Tough to say.

Sucks having so much $$ but nowhere to spend it now that both Suter and Parise are off the market. Really only mediocre FA's left available. Who is the best FA D available now? Carle? Meh.

Any chance the Wings toss a massive RFA offer at Weber?

Yeah. I really thought at least one or both would be coming your way. If any year to make a big splash this one would've been it for you guys. I guess you'll have to do it like us - via trade.

alias
07-04-2012, 11:11 PM

I've heard the Wings have inquired about Markov

chgorman
07-05-2012, 05:57 AM
Strike Carle from the list of possibilities. Markov would be a good pick up IF he can stay healthy (MASSIVE if). Is he a FA? Not sure I'd be willing to take the risk if I was Kenny H, especially if he has to give up any decent assets to get him (assuming he's not FA and would be acquired through trade). If he is FA, he'd have to come cheap.

chgorman
07-06-2012, 08:25 AM
Why the fuck is Quincey taking the Wings to arbitration? He didn't earn his salary last season (at least not while he was with the Wings, IMO), yet he's going to try to get a raise? I could potentially see an arbitrator actually reducing his salary. I don't get it. Must be missing something here...

phaneuf6
07-06-2012, 08:39 AM
Smart move by him I'd say. Given the market for defensemen it's a good move on his part and he should get a raise. It also puts a deadline on contract talks between him and the Wings.

chgorman
07-06-2012, 03:26 PM
Still seems kinda silly to me. What makes you think he'll get a raise?

phaneuf6
07-08-2012, 07:03 PM

The market. It's out of control.

Jake
07-18-2012, 02:03 PM
Wings are out of the running for Nash. I'm not sure what the offer was, but I'm glad that the Wings were shot down. The asking price for Nash is waaaaay too high in my opinion.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/red-wings-hell-offer-rick-nash-columbus-didn-042841744--nhl.html

canuckthug
07-18-2012, 02:32 PM
Why the fuck is Quincey taking the Wings to arbitration? He didn't earn his salary last season (at least not while he was with the Wings, IMO), yet he's going to try to get a raise? I could potentially see an arbitrator actually reducing his salary. I don't get it. Must be missing something here...

Smart move by him I'd say. Given the market for defensemen it's a good move on his part and he should get a raise. It also puts a deadline on contract talks between him and the Wings.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger (https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger)
2 years for Quincey. $3.55 mil and $4mil with Det.

3.775M cap hit. Overpayment IMO.

canuckthug
07-18-2012, 02:38 PM
Wings are out of the running for Nash. I'm not sure what the offer was, but I'm glad that the Wings were shot down. The asking price for Nash is waaaaay too high in my opinion.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/red-wings-hell-offer-rick-nash-columbus-didn-042841744--nhl.html

Detroit should never be a trading partner with Columbus (division rivals). Nash needs to expand his list and Howson needs to come down.
Howson's asking price has been way too high from the start. Apparently he asked for Logan Couture from the Sharks and Jeff Skinner from the Canes. Hes probably gonna ask for Gabriel Landeskog next. lol.

Hamsterkill
07-18-2012, 03:00 PM
Detroit should never be a trading partner with Columbus (division rivals). Nash needs to expand his list and Howson needs to come down.
Howson's asking price has been way too high from the start. Apparently he asked for Logan Couture from the Sharks and Jeff Skinner from the Canes. Hes probably gonna ask for Gabriel Landeskog next. lol.
I don't think Howson really wants to trade Nash. Going about it the way he has, with Nash tying his hands on the trading partners, he can at least tell Nash he tried. What Howson undoubtedly wants is for Nash to rescind his request for trade or open up the list of teams he's willing to go to to most of the league.

Truthfully I think Anaheim and Columbus should just exchange Ryan and Nash and then Murray and Howson can pat each other on the back and we can be done with this trade request drama for the offseason.

Jake
10-09-2012, 08:34 PM
RIP Budd Lynch- It makes you feel old when you grew up hearing him at the games and Ernie Harwell on the radio (Tigers obviously) and they have both passed away....

chgorman
01-23-2013, 10:23 AM
If the Wings didn't have so many goddamn injuries on D, I'd say they have to get rid of Quincey ASAP. Guy is easily the worst D on the team right now, and that's including Brian Lashoff (2 career NHL games) and Kent Huskins (signed yesterday) in the conversation. Can't really include Kindl in the convo as he hasn't played an NHL game yet this season, and although he's never panned out as expected, I can't imagine he could be any worse than Quincey right now.

Quincey is consistently getting turnstiled every game, taking stupid penalties, and when he has an offensive chance, he shoots it right into the goalies chest when there's nobody in front to screen the goalie or tip it.

Wings problems right now go deeper than Quincey (8 injuries already doesn't help, 6 of those injured are regulars), but that guy has been fucking terrible in all facets in all three games so far. Have yet to see him do anything positive in any of the Wings 3 games so far.

I'd love for somebody correct me here, as I may have missed him do something good while I was watching another game, or going to the washroom or somthing, but right now, I'm thoroughly disgusted. Tarasenko, a ROOKIE (albeit a very good one, apparently) made him look like an absolute pylon on Saturday.

/rant

Kyle
01-23-2013, 01:28 PM
Quincey was responsible for 2 of the first 3 goals in the game 1 blowout, every time I've heard his name over this week has been him embarrassing himself. Disgusting season so far for him.

Jake
01-23-2013, 06:07 PM
You didn't miss anything, he has replaced Kindl and the Dman I despise the most on the Wings. Eriksson has not progressed at all in the past 3 years, I had hopes for him when he was younger- they really need Smith to turn into the player he is projected to be. I fear it will be a long year transitioning from Lidstrom to Kronwall.

chgorman
01-24-2013, 09:29 AM
Haha, glad I'm not the only one who has noticed and is infuriated by Quincey's complete and utter uselessness so far this young season.

Will be nice to have Bert and more importantly, Helm, back in the lineup on Friday. Hopefully they can provide a bit of the spark that this team desperately needs right now.

toronto1979
01-24-2013, 04:27 PM
Quincey is a friend of a friend. He played in the East Coast for a bit during the lockout and just coasted through it. His mindset while playing there was he just didn't want to get hurt. He went through the motions but didn't put any effort in. It shows in his NHL play now.

Kyle
01-30-2013, 04:35 PM
Amazing plays by Datsyuk last night. Hes looking as good or better than he ever has in his career.

Dubz
01-31-2013, 02:51 AM
Amazing plays by Datsyuk last night. Hes looking as good or better than he ever has in his career.

Maybe his knees are fixed? The guy ivented the dangle moniker. Maybe he is finally able to do it for a 80 something game schedule....hmmmm. Old guys have been lights on so far but im feeling a trend change come crunch time (which wont be too soon)

chgorman
02-06-2013, 03:43 PM
WTF is up with this team? Play so well in beating one of the top teams in the league in the Blues (albeit with some help from the refs), then lose to two of the worst teams in the league in Columbus and Calgary. I don't get it. I know injuries are an issue and Howard is overworked with no decent backup available to spell him once in a while, but they should still be able to beat CGY and CBJ without too much trouble. Yet they can't. Brutal.

Kyle
02-06-2013, 04:21 PM
WTF is up with this team? Play so well in beating one of the top teams in the league in the Blues (albeit with some help from the refs), then lose to two of the worst teams in the league in Columbus and Calgary. I don't get it. I know injuries are an issue and Howard is overworked with no decent backup available to spell him once in a while, but they should still be able to beat CGY and CBJ without too much trouble. Yet they can't. Brutal.

At this point, we "Shouldn't" do anything successful. as in, nothing good should be expected. This isn't a great hockey team anymore. Maybe we're still a good one, or a pretty good one, but even that remains to be seen. Shit happens, its a sobering reality check for us but it had to happen eventually. Red Wings are officially middle of the pack and no longer the class of the league. We're not the Patriots anymore (The Patriots won't be either in a few years). Turn the page, new era of Red Wings hockey and the percentage chance that the next 20 years will be as good to us as the previous are quite remote! Time to be a normal hockey fan that deals with losing. ;)

Hamsterkill
02-06-2013, 04:25 PM

Such is the way of teams with erratic defense. I know the situation well. Buffalo gets beat by Carolina (2x), Toronto and Washington, dismantles Boston, then gets pummeled by Montreal and beaten by Florida and Ottawa. Welcome to the world of unpredictable performance. :\

Kyle
02-06-2013, 04:33 PM
Sweet lord, we're being casually compared to Buffalo, and its applicable. It really is a new day.

chgorman
02-07-2013, 11:01 PM
Haha, yeah, by no means am I expecting playoffs. I know they're not the elite team they've been in the past. I've accepted that.

But they looked so good against STL again tonight. If they lost the games they should lose and won the games they should win, I wouldn't have said a thing, but losses to CBJ and CGY sandwiched between solid wins vs. STL in DET and IN STL? Just seems odd. But I guess you guys are right, that's what middle of the pack teams do.

Mrazek looked good tonight. I know it's only one game, small sample size, but this kid could be legit. Looked very comfortable out there, kept himself in great position and great angles all night.

chgorman
02-11-2013, 05:09 PM
Zetts really taking the captaincy and running with it. Been a beast all season so far, leading by example. Currently tied with P.Kane for 2nd overall in league scoring, behind Vanek.

If this team can get some semi consistent secondary scoring from the 3rd/4th lines going forward, they'll be tough for any team in the league to contend with, especially with Howard playing as well as he is.

Kyle
02-11-2013, 10:06 PM
We're just so fucking pathetic defensively. So damn bad it seems. I feel like Patriot fans must've felt when Tom Brady had to start carrying them to wins and their defense allowed 400+ yards a game every week. We're all in on our top stars with virtually nothing behind them to scare anybody except Howard. A healthy Helm and Smith would transform us instantly. We can be much better than I gave us credit for earlier though, clearly.

chgorman
02-11-2013, 10:15 PM
Agreed on all counts. They can hang with any team any given night, but the D (or lack thereof) is going to be an ongoing concern all year unless they can swing a deal with somebody for a decent D and get rid of Quincey in the process. I think overall consistency on D and 3rd/4th lines is going to be the biggest issue all season. Nice to see them put a bit of a streak together though.

alias
02-20-2013, 12:37 AM
Something tells me this Pavel Datsyuk guy is gonna be pretty good. What a goal tonight....damn. Just when you think you've seen everything he can do he pulls another rabbit out of his hat.

Hamsterkill
02-20-2013, 12:59 AM
Something tells me this Pavel Datsyuk guy is gonna be pretty good. What a goal tonight....damn. Just when you think you've seen everything he can do he pulls another rabbit out of his hat.

Near the beginning of the season I found myself in an argument with a number of people over whether Datsyuk was one of the best centers in the world. I was the only one who said he is. It felt dirty to be defending a Red Wing; but, like Lidstrom and Brodeur, Datsyuk is too good for me to allow his ability to be besmirched.

chgorman
02-20-2013, 09:36 AM
I've heard some announcers tout him as the best player in the game right now. All things considered, I tend to agree.

May not have the pure sniping ability of a Stamkos or Malkin, and doesn't put up quite as many pts as Crosby, but his vision and passing ability is as good or better than anybody's in the league, his puck control and stickhandling is unrivaled, his speed and shot are underrated IMO, and he's the best defensive forward in the league but doesn't take penalties doing it.

I don't expect agreement, as I'm obviously biased being a Wings fan and watching 90% of their games every season, but overall, all things considered he's the best player in the league right now, IMO. The only thing he's really lacking is a physical game, but he's been known to ramp that up come playoff time when it really matters, so he's definitely capable of it.

He sure is fun to watch, was a beast last night against NSH. Had to watch the NSH feed as it was the only feed available to me in HD, and Terry Crisp didn't shut about him all game.

chgorman
02-22-2013, 11:03 AM
And the hit just keep on comin' :rolleyes:. Already have the most man games lost of any team in the league, and now it looks like Quincey might be out for a few. Him being out doesn't bother me too much considering how much I hate him (no idea how he has the 2nd best +/- on the team), but pretty soon they're going to have to change the name to the Grand Rapids Red Wings and start playing home games out of Van Andel if this keeps up.

Hope Anisimov is ok for Columbus. Didn't look too bad when it happened, but he was down for a while and had to be carted off on a stretcher.

Doctego
03-03-2013, 02:51 PM
Fuck you, Quincey.

Kyle
03-03-2013, 02:56 PM
Seriously. Why the fucking slap shot. What an embarrassing last five minutes after dominating the first 15 of the 3rd.

fancy19
03-04-2013, 09:32 AM
Agreed, thought we were going to be the team to break that damn streak. To bad Brunner messed up on that shootout chance he had.

chgorman
03-04-2013, 10:15 AM
It was Ericsson's fault that they lost, which is too bad as he had a great game prior to the penalty he took. What an absolutely fucking dumbass time to shoot the puck over the boards and take a delay of game penalty. Assist on the loss to Krowall for doing THE EXACT SAME FUCKING THING less than two minutes later to basically eliminate any chance the Wings had at winning the game prior to OT.

chgorman
03-08-2013, 01:51 PM
Nice to see Jimmy get the shutout last night, after just missing out against CHI and COL recently. He deserved shutouts against both those teams, so I'm glad he finally got one last night.

Kyle
03-23-2013, 05:41 AM
What a great night for Justin Abs. In light of their recent success, this dominant win vs the Ducks tonight felt great. I guess this is when we drop a goose egg against a shit opponent.

chgorman
03-23-2013, 10:36 AM
What a great night for Justin Abs. In light of their recent success, this dominant win vs the Ducks tonight felt great. I guess this is when we drop a goose egg against a shit opponent.

Probably on Monday vs.PHX after beating the Ducks again on Sunday.

Kyle
03-24-2013, 10:44 PM
That was the most pathetic looking regulation win I've ever seen from the Wings. From halfway through the 2nd onto the final buzzer I felt like they were 10 seconds away from scoring. 30 straight minutes of feeling like the opponent will score in 10 seconds. Fucking ridiculously outplayed, thank god for Howard.

chgorman
03-25-2013, 10:55 AM
That was the most pathetic looking regulation win I've ever seen from the Wings. From halfway through the 2nd onto the final buzzer I felt like they were 10 seconds away from scoring. 30 straight minutes of feeling like the opponent will score in 10 seconds. Fucking ridiculously outplayed, thank god for Howard.

Agreed. No way they deserved that win last night. They got lucky last night with Jimmy bailing them out all game, but I don't see that working two games in a row, especially if Gus is in goal against PHX tonight.

Loved seeing Getz, Perry and Selanne absolutely LOSING THEIR MINDS at the ref at the end of the game last night though, haha. I dunno what the were complaining about. Filp may have gone down a little easier than he should have, but Getz still had his stick in Filp's skates and impeded his progress, as far as I could tell.

Kyle
03-25-2013, 12:13 PM
That always gets called, even though the Refs usually know the player may have taken a fall. Its an impossible dive to ever accuse someone of because the stick clearly was there. Filpula got his reward for working hard, thats why coaches tell you to keep your feet moving. The Ducks stars are such self-entitled little bitches.

The frustration at the end was delicious. Getzlaf was a whiney prink the game before, also. The Ducks hate losing to the Wings, despite how often it happens...At least during the season. Dear Lord I hate running into these guys in the playoffs, I say it every year and it never changes, they're that 1 team in the west I'm worried about. Bring on Chicago all day, I LOVE the Wing's chances in a best out of 7 there, but fuck the Ducks. Even if Detroit wins that series, they're tired and bruised the rest of the playoffs.

I always get the impression that the Ducks play with this "Fuck the overrated Wings" chip on their shoulder against us. This rivalry is developing a sense of genuine hatred I haven't seen in a Wings game since the last days of the Avs/Wings issue. I hope no one shatters a jaw and sends the rivalry to that level again, but it would be nice to see things get more and more heated. Those issues always flow in the Wings favor, they might hate eachother equally but the Ducks will take much more dumbass penalties over it. Let the tensions flare baby

Hamsterkill
03-25-2013, 12:22 PM
That always gets called, even though the Refs usually know the player may have taken a fall. Its an impossible dive to ever accuse someone of because the stick clearly was there. Filpula got his reward for working hard, thats why coaches tell you to keep your feet moving. The Ducks stars are such self-entitled little bitches.

The frustration at the end was delicious. Getzlaf was a whiney prink the game before, also. The Ducks hate losing to the Wings, despite how often it happens...At least during the season. Dear Lord I hate running into these guys in the playoffs, I say it every year and it never changes, they're that 1 team in the west I'm worried about. Bring on Chicago all day, I LOVE the Wing's chances in a best out of 7 there, but fuck the Ducks. Even if Detroit wins that series, they're tired and bruised the rest of the playoffs.

I always get the impression that the Ducks play with this "Fuck the overrated Wings" chip on their shoulder against us. This rivalry is developing a sense of genuine hatred I haven't seen in a Wings game since the last days of the Avs/Wings issue. I hope no one shatters a jaw and sends the rivalry to that level again, but it would be nice to see things get more and more heated. Those issues always flow in the Wings favor, they might hate eachother equally but the Ducks will take much more dumbass penalties over it. Let the tensions flare baby
That rivalry dies at the end of the season when Detroit joins the Northeast/Florida division.

Kyle
03-25-2013, 01:00 PM
:( Thanks Buzz Killington.

Didn't even think about that. That sucks. The Wings don't exactly go chasing or starting rivalries, they just happen by random chance when they run into the same team in the playoffs enough. So its disappointing to see a rivalry that took nearly 6 years to really form disappear so quickly. I always look forward to the intensity of these Ducks matchups, hopefully the Wings find someone new to hate them in the NE division.

Hamsterkill
03-25-2013, 02:31 PM
:( Thanks Buzz Killington.

Didn't even think about that. That sucks. The Wings don't exactly go chasing or starting rivalries, they just happen by random chance when they run into the same team in the playoffs enough. So its disappointing to see a rivalry that took nearly 6 years to really form disappear so quickly. I always look forward to the intensity of these Ducks matchups, hopefully the Wings find someone new to hate them in the NE division.

You'll be playing in a division with Boston, Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, and (probably the nicest of the set since they spend most of their time in a depression instead of anger these days) Buffalo. The Northeast may already be the division most seething with hate.

Kyle
03-25-2013, 02:37 PM
Wow, I've never taken a moment to sit back and reflect on the absolute goonery the Wings are about to be surrounded by. The Central was perfect for the punching bag Wings because no one is even somewhat tough out of St Louis, Nashville, Chicago, Columbus. I predict a lot of euro blood will spill next year.

phaneuf6
03-25-2013, 02:40 PM
Wow, I've never taken a moment to sit back and reflect on the absolute goonery the Wings are about to be surrounded by. The Central was perfect for the punching bag Wings because no one is even somewhat tough out of St Louis, Nashville, Chicago, Columbus. I predict a lot of euro blood will spill next year.

Good prediction. The Wings would do well to get some more size on the backend this summer. Some of these teams can bring a pretty heavy forecheck.

Kyle
03-25-2013, 02:55 PM
Yup, I don't necessarily see the physicality impacting the regular season or playoff picture (We tend to win games where we get beat up). But the physical wear and tear of an 82 game schedule vs teams that know they can beat on the WIngs with little consequence, would have them limping into the playoffs.

Jake
03-25-2013, 11:16 PM
I honestly see a rough transition for the Wings and doubt they make the playoffs next year. The East is a totally different animal not only physically, but also the I fear the higher scoring will be a huge factor. The Wings D is not really all that impressive anymore and their secondary scoring isn't enough to compete in the higher scoring and more physical East. I don't think they will be a joke, but rather a bubble team that just misses out on the playoffs. The current team is built for its current competition in the West and I don't think it will be effective next year in the new division.

I hope I am wrong.....

phaneuf6
03-27-2013, 02:38 PM
So Wings fans, any interest in making a trade for Bouwmeester?

Kyle
03-27-2013, 04:42 PM
I'm absolutely a huge huge fan of Bouwmeester. He can jump right into our top pair alongside Kronwall and give us a proper first line again. Ian White is an embarrassment defensively. The guy doesn't give a fuck and really just moves like he doesn't care anymore out there. Offensively Bouwmeester has always been better than White, and Bouwmeester is as good of a skater (Despite being so much larger) and actually very effective on the rush. Wings love D-men that can join the rush. He can eat up 25 minutes a night and upgrade us for all 25 of those minutes because we have some guys playing that bad defensively right now. Bouwmester is not studly defensively but hes somebody you have confidence in when hes skating in his own zone. Would give us size as we approach the new divisional alignment and at least help persuade people away from taking runs at our top lines.

I'm still amazed at just how much and how well Kronwall stepped up this year, but we could really use a proper #1 DEFENSEman.

phaneuf6
03-27-2013, 07:31 PM
I wonder what it would take to get him. The guy is one of the best skaters in the league and I think he'd fit in great in Detroit.

Kyle
03-27-2013, 07:45 PM
He would be an awesome consolation prize after losing out on Sutter, we really don't have a guy we're confident pairing against team's top lines. Ericsson is the closest we have right now and thats not a good thing. Our best three defensive players right now are forwards, amazing goaltending has sugarcoated that until now, but it can't last.

Kyle
04-02-2013, 02:38 AM
Was at the Avs game. Awesome time, glad I got to see that sick snipe by Brunner live. The Joe is a great crowd, great vibe and atmosphere. I have to assume its about as good as it gets behind Montreal and Toronto, maybe alongside Pittsburgh.

Ian White looks even worse in person.

alias
04-02-2013, 10:26 PM
Ian White looks even worse in person.

:lol: That cracked me up

Dubz
04-04-2013, 01:26 PM
I was a happy man when Ian White left town. I wonder which Red Wing team shows up tonight?

Kyle
04-05-2013, 12:43 AM
You got to see both Red Wings teams tonight. Pathetic.