PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Red Wings Thread - Enough of us here

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14

Kyle
02-03-2011, 07:23 AM
He's still got a bunch of wins and this is still one of the best teams in the league but are you guys worried about him or his future in net or just shaking it off as a bad stretch ?

Not worried yet but definitely needing to see some ray of light here soon. Lucky for him we're coasting into the playoffs because he has until then to regain last year's form.

eykwingnut
02-03-2011, 07:51 AM
Our defense this hasn't been as good this year. Missing coverage in front of the net and giving away WAY too many odd man rushes.

two24four
02-03-2011, 12:44 PM
The fact that the Wings wanted to get Nabokov might be in the back of his mind...

Smith on waivers btw., anyone thinks Detroit will try to get him?

He cleared waivers today, sounds like T-Bay is sending him down to the AHL.

Ray Emery is said to be in peak form now, he's ready to sign a contract any day now from the sounds of it, sounding like the Ducks really want him, he might be worth it if the Wings can sign him before the Ducks or anyone else.

eykwingnut
02-03-2011, 01:08 PM
He cleared waivers today, sounds like T-Bay is sending him down to the AHL.

Ray Emery is said to be in peak form now, he's ready to sign a contract any day now from the sounds of it, sounding like the Ducks really want him, he might be worth it if the Wings can sign him before the Ducks or anyone else.
Detroit won't go after a player with his type of history.

chgorman
02-03-2011, 02:00 PM
Yeah, I don't really see the Wings going after Emery, definitely not Smith. Jimmy will be fine. Weak game last night for sure, and he's struggled for the better part of a couple months now, but he'll be fine. Hopefully the Nabby situation serves as motivation for him and he gets his game together. Getting Dats and Stuart back in front of him should help his numbers a bit too.

chgorman
02-08-2011, 12:29 PM
Nice to see the Wings put the puck in the net after not scoring for a couple gms. Dats said after the game that he wasn't happy with his performance, which I found odd considering he looked like he hadn't missed a beat despite missing 19 gms. Regardless, great to see him back. The guy is a magician with and without the puck.

Nice game by Jimmy too. Looked pretty shaky a couple times, Franzen had to make the save of the game for him at one point, but Jimmy got the job done, made a lot of saves. hopefully last night's game gives him a little confidence boost and is the start of an upswing for him, as he's been pretty mediocre recently up until his past couple starts

Cornholio
02-08-2011, 04:07 PM
i think that game might be some kind of a turn around game for the wings.
even though they haven't played too bad before, and even though they didn't play better than the rangers, they won the game!
datsyuk's presence game all the others a boost, hopefully they can keep it for the next couple of games!!

and I think dats played great both offensively and defensively.
we know he can do better, but after missing 19 games, he was great!

too bad he didn't take any faceoffs, I assume it was 'cause his hand might be not 100% and his hand might be re-injured by a slash or so...

Jake
02-09-2011, 10:15 PM
Opinionated and most loyal Red Wings fans -- What is up with Howard anyway? Do you think he's lost a bit of confidence or is it just injuries making him look bad ? His GA & GAA are both up and his save % is down from just a year ago. I don't watch a ton of Wings games but his numbers look horribly inconsistent. Looking at it, he let up like 140 some goals in 60+ games last season and he has already let 100+ goals slip by him through 38 this year.

He's still got a bunch of wins and this is still one of the best teams in the league but are you guys worried about him or his future in net or just shaking it off as a bad stretch ?

I have been worried for a while, but tonight sealed it. Maybe its the sophmore slump, injuries, whatever other excuses people want to throw out there- but the bottom line is that he needs to pick it up. I really wouldnt be shocked to see Holland get a vet goalie for the playoffs.

two24four
02-09-2011, 10:16 PM
I have been worried for a while, but tonight sealed it. Maybe its the sophmore slump, injuries, whatever other excuses people want to throw out there- but the bottom line is that he needs to pick it up. I really wouldnt be shocked to see Holland get a vet goalie for the playoffs.

Jiggy would be a good fit, real team player, good with the young guys as well.

eykwingnut
02-10-2011, 08:35 AM
Seriously? I'm not gonna sit here and blame shit on the goalie like Red Wings fans seem to always do when things start going south. The first goal last night was an absolute snipe, and the other 3 goals last night were rebounds. Last night is was more a case of bad bounces. Rebounds were going right to their guys. You can't win them all. However, Where is the f*cking offense AND DEFENSE? Cover somebody!

Jake
02-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Im not putting it all on Howard, but he has not impressed me. I am not at all suggesting that the Wings give up on him but rather get an established veteran to either push him or take over at times if need be. If the playoffs were to start tomorrow would you honestly be confident with Howie as the undisputed number one goalie for the Wings??? Thats I think Holland will get an established goaltender for the playoffs. His individual numbers arent that good and if he played on almost any other team I think his off season would be really exposed. As it is the Wings sit in the middle of the leage for shots against but bottom six for save percentage. I know that those numbers can be scewed by quality scoring chancces vs dump ins counting as shots on goal and all of that other stuff, but all teams are weighed the same and have defensive meltdowns at times- but thats when you kind of have to rely on your goalie more and as of right now we cant really do that.

I also know that you wont win many games scoring one or two goals and that we need to start fiding the net more. Hopefully when all of the injuries are done the team will start to mesh again.

As far as defense goes I would honestly trade Kindle for Lebda and Finger....thats how much I cant stand him. The team needs to get get better on D and hopefully Stuart will help settle things down when he gets back.

eykwingnut
02-10-2011, 10:42 PM
I would be totally confident with Howie in net. Not with this line-up though. We need a healthy Stewie and Val.

alias
02-11-2011, 02:19 PM
I would be totally confident with Howie in net. Not with this line-up though. We need a healthy Stewie and Val.

If you're totally confident in a goalie, you're confident regardless of who's in front of him. In this case sounds like you're more confident of who's in froint of him than Howard himself.

eykwingnut
02-11-2011, 02:48 PM
If you're totally confident in a goalie, you're confident regardless of who's in front of him. In this case sounds like you're more confident of who's in froint of him than Howard himself.
Not at all. I'm saying that I don't like the Red Wings chances of winning if they aren't healthy and are playing terribly on offense and defense. It has nothing to do with how solid Howard is playing (which I feel he is playing solid given the lackluster offense and defense that has been played in front of him lately). A goalie can play great and still lose 3-2 if they don't get the required goal support and their team is giving away slam dunk goals do to defensive give aways, lack of defensive coverage, and the team not clearing rebounds. How is that the goaltenders fault?

So are you confident in Carey Price? Would you be confident in Carey Price's chances of winning if your teams offense was potting 1 or 0 goals a game and giving up multiple odd man rushes every game, not covering the open man in the defensive zone, and not clearing away rebounds after Price made the initial save?

Have you been watching the Red Wings much this year? Their defense has been terrible.

Kyle
02-11-2011, 04:54 PM
[
]If you're totally confident in a goalie, you're confident regardless of who's in front of him[/B]. In this case sounds like you're more confident of who's in froint of him than Howard himself.

:lol:

Yeah, we all know Ryan Miller and a pee wee hockey team could beat any team in the NHL.:rolleyes:

alias
02-12-2011, 03:40 PM
[

Yeah, we all know Ryan Miller and a pee wee hockey team could beat any team in the NHL.:rolleyes:

totally missed the point. I'm confident in Ryan Miller's ability to stop pucks regardless of who is in front of him. I'm not so confident in Jimmy Howard's ability to stop pucks unless he has a strong team presence in front of him.

Kyle
02-13-2011, 08:08 AM
totally missed the point. I'm confident in Ryan Miller's ability to stop pucks regardless of who is in front of him. I'm not so confident in Jimmy Howard's ability to stop pucks unless he has a strong team presence in front of him.

No one missed your point, regardless how notoriously terrible you are at stating it. Honestly, I'm just hearing sour grapes dating as far back as the Howard vs Raask arguments last year. Just slipping in your chance to say "see, hes not that great." Ups and downs. Just like your boy Price. lol. Quit being over dramatic and drawing conclusions durring a slump. Just had a great game against Boston. I'm perfectly comfortable with him as our #1 through the playoffs this year.

phaneuf6
02-13-2011, 11:48 AM
No one missed your point, regardless how notoriously terrible you are at stating it.

While I've never liked Howard and I don't think he's a good goaltender, I'm not about to get into a debate here.

Kyle
02-13-2011, 03:05 PM

While I've never liked Howard and I don't think he's a good goaltender, I'm not about to get into a debate here.

And I'm sure if you wanted to you could name a hell of a lot better reasons than "he seems to need a strong team presence in front of him.":rolleyes:

canuckthug
02-13-2011, 03:11 PM
whats up in Motor City these days... aka HockeyTown. Are you guys selling out hockey games?? The on ice product is still top notch and you'd think Lidstrom in the twilight of his career would bring fans in flocks to the Joe. I watched todays game and those Red Seats are misleading.. sometimes you cant tell if a WingFan is sitting there wearing red or if its empty. Didn't look like a sellout is my point but maybe because it was an afternoon game?!

Kyle
02-13-2011, 03:26 PM
I can't imagine the afternoon game helps. But. That said, Wings culture has certainly slipped from the genuine love and support they had in the late 90s. Probably cause I left Michigan:lol:

Seriously. They aren't bad fans. The city is obviously in constant peril and not everyone can afford tickets. But yeah motown has become notorious lately for simply not laying down the support the product has deserved. Its not like we're bottom of the league in fan support, but we aren't top 3 like we should be with the club the Wings management has provided for 20 years.

chgorman
02-13-2011, 03:32 PM
I think they said on the NBC broadcast today that today's game was the 11th straight home sell-out.

Cornholio
02-13-2011, 04:15 PM
they did!

Kyle
02-13-2011, 04:22 PM
We do get a lot of empty seats regardless.

chgorman
02-13-2011, 05:40 PM
Yup. You can sell them the ticket, but you can't make 'em sit in the seat. It's unfortunate that so many great seats go unused despite being purchased when somebody else could be using them, but it could be worse, it could be empty because nobody bought it, like in ATL, FLA, PHX etc. At least it's been sold, even if nobody is using it.

Kyle
02-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Yeah, like I said, our fanbase is nowhere near bottom of the league. Its just dissapointing that our atmosphere isn't as strong as it was in the late 90's when the team is just as good. Stevie Y is a significant factor in that. Dude was just money.

Kyle
02-18-2011, 10:41 PM
Pavel Datsyuk has been far and beyond the best player in the NHL since hes returned. This team has been on fire.

Seriously, I'm speachless after watching tonight's highlights. Datsyuk is a monstrosity. His 100 foot pass on that Cleary breakaway was unreal and his interception and undressing of Vokoun was equally unreal. Poor Vokoun will always be Datsyuk's bitch.

Red Wings are right back in proper form.

canuckthug
02-18-2011, 11:11 PM
for the record, I still think, overall:
Zetterberg > Datsyuk.

Kyle
02-19-2011, 01:32 AM
Its ok. Debate the specifics any way you want, I personally disagree but Zetterberg is amazing. I call them both top 5 overall hockey players in the league.

phaneuf6
02-19-2011, 11:02 AM
Datsyuk looked good in the highlight package, although I wouldn't call that an 'undressing' of Vokoun.

And unfortunately for Vokoun, he's going to be a lot of players' bitch when he has no help from his D.

Kyle
02-19-2011, 01:48 PM
True, more an undressing of the Panthers. Vokoun never really had anything to do once Datsyuk was in that position.

Chilly_Willy
02-19-2011, 02:57 PM
whats up in Motor City these days... aka HockeyTown. Are you guys selling out hockey games?? The on ice product is still top notch and you'd think Lidstrom in the twilight of his career would bring fans in flocks to the Joe. I watched todays game and those Red Seats are misleading.. sometimes you cant tell if a WingFan is sitting there wearing red or if its empty. Didn't look like a sellout is my point but maybe because it was an afternoon game?!

really 2 reasons IMO, 1 the economy hit Detroit hardest then any other place in the nation and possibly the world. I know I was at the epicenter of it and I've seen the data released over the last several years. Detroit's attendeance is a reflection of the population loss and economic hardships. 2 a lot of red wings seats are corporate owned and unfortunately there are a lot of tickets that are given out to people that change their mind because they are free tickets anyway. One of the reasons I always hated lower blow seats. Its all corporate and rich bandwagoneers that chat and drink more than they watch the game.

Detroit and metropolitan areas unemployment rate has been around 20 percent. That is 1 in 5 able body people can't find work.

canuckthug
02-20-2011, 09:37 PM
Its ok. Debate the specifics any way you want, I personally disagree but Zetterberg is amazing. I call them both top 5 overall hockey players in the league.

Both top 5... where are Getzlaf, Perry, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Crosby, Sedin, Sedin, Toews, St. Louis on your list??

I like Zetterberg because he knows the regular season is not that big a deal.. (Its like hes not trying out there and he doesnt care for the All-star game), Over the last few years he seemingly steps his game up for big games only and then for the playoffs. Hes a conn smythe winner, gold medalist, stanley cup winner etc, etc... This year he has been stellar most of the season but i notice he gets better in the big games.. Datsyuk makes things happen too but i think there is more flash involved and Zetterberg has to play a bigger role. And Zetterberg is no slouch when it comes to skill but Datsyuk is a marvel so it gets overlooked.. Zetterberg will be the next captain once Lidstrom says goodbye. I know somebody will mention that Dats is a selke winner so if anybody is responsible, its Datsyuk. But like you say, Its pretty much 1a and 1b when comparing Zetts and Dats and those rankings probably get swapped on any given game day.

Johnathon Toews is the same way...knows how to play in the big games. Not dominating the league right now in points but once the playoffs come rolling around, you'd be crazy not to think he cant get the job done.. (if the Hawks make it)..

canuckthug
02-20-2011, 09:42 PM
really 2 reasons IMO, 1 the economy hit Detroit hardest then any other place in the nation and possibly the world. I know I was at the epicenter of it and I've seen the data released over the last several years. Detroit's attendeance is a reflection of the population loss and economic hardships. 2 a lot of red wings seats are corporate owned and unfortunately there are a lot of tickets that are given out to people that change their mind because they are free tickets anyway. One of the reasons I always hated lower blow seats. Its all corporate and rich bandwagoneers that chat and drink more than they watch the game.

Detroit and metropolitan areas unemployment rate has been around 20 percent. That is 1 in 5 able body people can't find work.

Detroit is such a large city... its sucks they (whoever they are) would allow sales to corporations instead of the general public... because corporate seats arent real fans. Those are 'the fans' that get up to leave in the 3rd to get to the parking lot first... You'd think the seats would sell themselves especially in an original 6 market like Detroit but i guess the recession may have hit Motorcity hard like you mention.

Hamsterkill
02-20-2011, 10:15 PM
Detroit is such a large city... its sucks they (whoever they are) would allow sales to corporations instead of the general public... because corporate seats arent real fans. Those are 'the fans' that get up to leave in the 3rd to get to the parking lot first... You'd think the seats would sell themselves especially in an original 6 market like Detroit but i guess the recession may have hit Motorcity hard like you mention.
May have? There is no debate as to which major city in the US has been hit hardest by the economy -- it's Detroit.

Kyle
02-20-2011, 10:18 PM
Both top 5... where are Getzlaf, Perry, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Crosby, Sedin, Sedin, Toews, St. Louis on your list??

I like Zetterberg because he knows the regular season is not that big a deal.. (Its like hes not trying out there and he doesnt care for the All-star game), Over the last few years he seemingly steps his game up for big games only and then for the playoffs. Hes a conn smythe winner, gold medalist, stanley cup winner etc, etc... This year he has been stellar most of the season but i notice he gets better in the big games.. Datsyuk makes things happen too but i think there is more flash involved and Zetterberg has to play a bigger role. And Zetterberg is no slouch when it comes to skill but Datsyuk is a marvel so it gets overlooked.. Zetterberg will be the next captain once Lidstrom says goodbye. I know somebody will mention that Dats is a selke winner so if anybody is responsible, its Datsyuk. But like you say, Its pretty much 1a and 1b when comparing Zetts and Dats and those rankings probably get swapped on any given game day.

Johnathon Toews is the same way...knows how to play in the big games. Not dominating the league right now in points but once the playoffs come rolling around, you'd be crazy not to think he cant get the job done.. (if the Hawks make it)..

Top 5 is always debatable. My point is either name is perfectly reasonable to argue as a top 5 player.

Cornholio
02-26-2011, 12:36 PM
as written in the injury thread
modano & flip play tonight
rafalski out, but will play monday
franzen plays tonight, but not monday (wife expected to get her first child tonight)

Hamsterkill
02-26-2011, 07:25 PM
You can certainly tell Yahoo's paying to attention to their stream of today's game... Currently broadcasting the DirecTV screensaver with game audio...

chgorman
02-28-2011, 12:42 PM
Jimmy H extends - 2 yrs, 2.25 mil per yr - not bad for the guy leading the league in wins right now, but hopefully he picks his sv% and GAA up a bit going fwd

Cornholio
02-28-2011, 04:47 PM
good deal!!!

Kyle
03-01-2011, 02:22 AM
Man the Wings really quit on Howard in the last 10 minutes and fucked up a really good game by him. I'm not trying to absolve him of too much responsibility but those were all really, really difficult saves, and 2 of the 3 last period goals were pretty much just unstoppable.

Great game, just too bad a good game by Howard ends up being a blemish on his stats sheet. Oh well. 3 wins more than 2nd place now.

Cornholio
03-01-2011, 02:39 AM
yeah, the first 50 minutes were huge!
howie must be pissed about the last goals!

sucks for my fantasy stats as well ;)

chgorman
03-03-2011, 12:39 AM
Nice dive by Ryan in OT to draw the penalty shot :rolleyes: Deserves an Oscar for that one :rolleyes: What a joke.

canuckthug
03-03-2011, 01:52 PM
Nice dive by Ryan in OT to draw the penalty shot :rolleyes: Deserves an Oscar for that one :rolleyes: What a joke.

Dive or no dive. It was a penalty. Ryan sold it but Salei hit his elbow with the stick on the break-a-way. It could have been a penalty shot without Ryan falling down IMO or diving but you have to call something there.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=35&id=100921

Despite the call, the Wings had 9 PP's and one carried into the 4-4 OT.

chgorman
03-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Dive or no dive. It was a penalty. Ryan sold it but Salei hit his elbow with the stick on the break-a-way. It could have been a penalty shot without Ryan falling down IMO or diving but you have to call something there.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=35&id=100921

Despite the call, the Wings had 9 PP's and one carried into the 4-4 OT.

I disagree. I watched the video you posted about six times and Salei never hit his elbow. He tapped him on the hip with his stick and Ryan went down like he just got shot in the back of both knees, probably because he knew was in too tight and wasn't going to score, so went down to try to draw something, which obviously worked. Nothing should have been called, it was a blatant dive by Ryan, ref shouldn't have even blown the whistle let alone called a penalty.

Yeah, the Wings definitely shoulda capitalized on a few more of their PP's to avoid what ended up happening, but it's still super shitty to lose a good, hard fought game on a terrible dive/joke of a play like that.

canuckthug
03-03-2011, 03:54 PM
I think your losing objectivity here because you think Ryan was in too deep and Howard would have had him anyway.. (red wing fan in a red wing thread)

The bottom line is Salei was caught out of position and in act of desperation, he obstructs with Ryan who was clearly on a break-a-way. Minimal obstruction sure, (and i've seen worse) but Ryan never gets the shot away. If Salei hits the puck first (or even attempts to hit the puck), then i get the frustration...but Salei doesnt even go for the puck.. therefore penalty and IMO a justifiable call.

The refs were calling penalties that whole game... you gotta stay consistent and make that call.. If the refs are letting stuff go all game, its a different story and it makes sense to let that go.

chgorman
03-03-2011, 06:11 PM
I think your losing objectivity here because you think Ryan was in too deep and Howard would have had him anyway.. (red wing fan in a red wing thread)

The bottom line is Salei was caught out of position and in act of desperation, he obstructs with Ryan who was clearly on a break-a-way. Minimal obstruction sure, (and i've seen worse) but Ryan never gets the shot away. If Salei hits the puck first (or even attempts to hit the puck), then i get the frustration...but Salei doesnt even go for the puck.. therefore penalty and IMO a justifiable call.

The refs were calling penalties that whole game... you gotta stay consistent and make that call.. If the refs are letting stuff go all game, its a different story and it makes sense to let that go.

I'm not losing objectivity at all, I'm commenting on what saw live last night and then rewatched again multiple times earlier today.

There was no obstruction by Salei. He tapped Ryan on the side/hip with his stick, nothing more, definitely no obstruction. Ryan lost control of the puck on his own then went down on his own to draw the call when he new he wasn't going to get a decent shot off. there's no way somebody of his size and skill level should go down that easily when he was barely even touched and definitely wasn't 'obstructed'.

the only thing consistent about the refs last night were that they were consistently terrible all game, calling penalties on both teams that shouldn't have been called and missing a couple that should have been called, so I'm not surprised at the call on the penalty shot. It's just a shitty way to lose a game, that's all I'm saying.

canuckthug
03-03-2011, 07:50 PM
Maybe obstruction was the wrong word.. i'll call it an infraction because he still swung his stick (you call it a tap) at the body. And the play gets magnified because it was OT.. Either way, We will have to agree to disagree, its all good.

MrScientist
03-03-2011, 08:03 PM
I didn't see the play, but if Salei slashed his hip, that seems like a two minute penalty but not a penalty shot.

phaneuf6
03-03-2011, 08:15 PM
I didn't see the play, but if Salei slashed his hip, that seems like a two minute penalty but not a penalty shot.

In a breakaway situation its a penalty shot..

canuckthug
03-03-2011, 08:20 PM
its not a crazy slash but its more than a harmless love tap. Its debatable..

I just watched a Flyer take a penalty for a 'one handed slash' on a leaf in the first period..An innocent 1 hander but 2 mins in the sinbin regardless. A few years ago, the league started to call any kind of stick action to the side.. because it has no business being there.

boredguy
03-04-2011, 01:15 AM
Looked like Salei caught Ryan's elbow with his stick which almost always get called on a breakaway. Not much to complain about there.

Cornholio
03-04-2011, 01:41 AM
Still no reason for Bobby to fall on the knees as if being tripped or hit in the legs!

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-04-2011, 02:06 AM
I think SJ has finally gotten over the mental block of playing and beating the Detroit Red Wings.

phaneuf6
03-04-2011, 02:10 AM
I think I'm loving Niemi right now as an owner of his in my keeper!

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-04-2011, 03:16 AM
I think I'm loving Niemi right now as an owner of his in my keeper!

SAME HERE. I got BONED in the off season losing both Nabby and Huet in my dynasty league and being stuck with Niemi/Quick/Crawford (on the farm at the time). Opinions were that Bernier was creeping up on Quick for the # 1, Crawford didn't have the starting gig in Chicago and Niemi was unsigned so I was freaking out... but it seems that things have really worked out pretty well. Niemi has really grown into himself in San Jose over the last month or so and with his new deal things are looking pretty good for fantasy owners. :beer:

I know he wasn't around during the playoffs last year when SJ finally beat the Wings but I think his presence in net is a super calming force for this team right now. Esp. when faced with such a power house like the Wings. I see no fear in the Sharks right now. Niemi can hopefully do what Nabokov never could... lead the Sharks to the SCF. :scared:

Anyway sorry to hijack the Wings thread. Back to your regularly scheduled programming!

Kyle
03-05-2011, 11:16 PM
What a fucking joke of a loss.:rolleyes:

chgorman
03-09-2011, 10:15 PM
Anybody else worried about this team's recent a) lack of ability to hold a lead, and b) lack of ability to fight through adversity to get the win? LA's 2nd goal tonight is the perfect example... yes it definitely should have been a 4 minute powerplay for DET instead of an LA goal, after Lids got highsticked with blood drawn seconds prior to LA scoring, but that's exatly the type of adversity that teams need to be able to fight through to be successful in the playoffs, and up until the final 20 seconds of the game, the Wings showed zero urgency or ability to win a close game like this one.

I haven't lost all hope by any means, not even close, but I'm definitely a little worried. They definitely need to pick up their overall level of play over the next 15 games to have any chance of success in the playoffs. Can't wait until they get Rafalski back.

Cornholio
03-10-2011, 12:47 PM
I can't bnelieve the wings are still in 2nd place!
I feel like they've lost like 10 in a row.
It's simply not what they are able to!
The offense struggles since Franzen's 5 goal game in early february in Ottawa, and they already gave up 5 goals back then...

Cornholio
03-12-2011, 07:29 AM
Bad game again!
bad goal early, lucky deflection in the last minute, and a kinda lucky game winner through everybody, with one Oiler having no stick.
The Wings will make it to the playoffs for sure, but playing like that, it will be an early summer break in Hockeytown...

eykwingnut
03-12-2011, 08:25 AM
Bad game again!
bad goal early, lucky deflection in the last minute, and a kinda lucky game winner through everybody, with one Oiler having no stick.
The Wings will make it to the playoffs for sure, but playing like that, it will be an early summer break in Hockeytown...
Bad game and lucky first goal, but how on earth can you say that was a lucky 2nd goal? That was a great patient play by one of the best players in the world...

chgorman
03-12-2011, 11:47 AM
Bad game and lucky first goal, but how on earth can you say that was a lucky 2nd goal? That was a great patient play by one of the best players in the world...

It was a great play by Dats, no doubt a sick snipe, but with the amount of traffic in front, personally I'm surprised it made it through TBPH, so in that regard i guess it could be considered somewhat lucky. I'm guessing that's what Cornholio is referring to. 'Lucky' probably isn't the term I'd use for it though. Fortunate might be a better term maybe?

No matter, a win is a win and I'll take it, but I'm still concerned when the Wings can only beat the worst team in the league (who are missing their two best offensive players and best D) by one goal in OT AT HOME, and again not really show any urgency until the final minute or two of regulation and then OT. That might cut it against a last place, depleted Oilers lineup in the reg season, but it's def not gonna cut it in the playoffs.

Hopefully they can come out flying tonight against the Blues (despite it being the 2nd of a B2B), get an early lead, HOLD ON TO IT THROUGHOUT THE GAME, and show that they can put together a full 60 mins of good calibre hockey.

Cornholio
03-12-2011, 07:07 PM
You're right, I meant "fortunate". Thanks chgorman!

chgorman
03-12-2011, 07:45 PM
You're right, I meant "fortunate". Thanks chgorman!

No prob. Either term works. They kinda mean the same thing anyway, for the most part.

Kyle
03-12-2011, 09:49 PM
You guys are being a bit dramatic. It was hardly a flattering effort. But we outshot them nearly 2-1. I'd hardly say that implies a lack of urgency. We ran into incredible goaltending but it hardly defines a bad game. Not our best game or even a good one, but bad? Not even remotely.

Kyle
03-12-2011, 09:54 PM
Wings seem to VERY regularly score two goals in ridiculously rapid succession.

eykwingnut
03-12-2011, 11:20 PM
We ran into incredible goaltending
It seems we say that way too often. We have a major problem burying chances sometimes.

chgorman
03-12-2011, 11:46 PM
I wouldn't say the EDM goaltending was all that incredible. Dubnyk played well, faced a lot of shots, but wasn't really tested with too many tough scoring chances against until the very end.

Better effort tonight IMO, despite fewer shots for and more goals against. All lines were dangerous at times, pretty good effort throughout, for the most part. They looked a lot mor dangerous tonight than they did last night, IMO.

At this point, I almost wouldn't mind if they dropped a few spots in the standings and started the playoffs on the road. Dunno what the mental block is at home, but they look much better on the road to me.

Kyle
03-13-2011, 12:46 AM
Oh, and a glaring positive we're all omitting from last game, how fucking fantastic was Howard? I've never seen his glove hand that good which is saying something because its one of his stronger areas. Unfortunately not so strong tonight.

Datsyuk bustng more brilliant magic tonight. He is incredible.

canuckthug
03-13-2011, 01:57 AM
^
Agreed, Dats is a magician with the puck, sick goal by Datsyuk.

edit:Anyone who missed it, can watch it here. Puck Daddy embedded the clip in his yahoo blog about half way down.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Saturday-s-Three-Stars-Sedin-s-career-high-Pri?urn=nhl-wp239

Cornholio
03-13-2011, 09:35 AM
Way better game last night!!
I am kind of "scared" saying that the fourth line (Abby, Helm, Draper) was the best line...

canuckthug
03-16-2011, 09:10 PM
I haven't lost all hope by any means, not even close, but I'm definitely a little worried. They definitely need to pick up their overall level of play over the next 15 games to have any chance of success in the playoffs. Can't wait until they get Rafalski back.

good call. he logs major minutes, a difference maker with tons of playoff experience. nice 3 point night in a big game.

What about Nicklas Kronwall? how do you rate his play this year? i just havent heard much of him all year tbh... is he still throwing bit hits?

Kyle
03-17-2011, 02:53 AM
Great shutdown to end the game.

chgorman
03-17-2011, 06:58 AM
good call. he logs major minutes, a difference maker with tons of playoff experience. nice 3 point night in a big game.

What about Nicklas Kronwall? how do you rate his play this year? i just havent heard much of him all year tbh... is he still throwing bit hits?

He's been very solid in all facets, no question. Personally, I'm a little disappointed in his offensive scoring totals, I was hoping he was going to put up a few more points this season than he has, especially since I have him on a couple fantasy teams, but overall he's been very good.

Still throws the big hits every once in a while, but not as often as he used to. I think he's being more selective with when he chooses to do it (as it does take him out of position most times to lay the big ones), I think most players are more aware of him when he's on the ice than in the past so they're keeping their heads up more when thy know he's out there, and if I remember correctly, he seems to save the really big ones for the playoffs for he most part (or at least has in the past). He'll still lay a guy out from time to time if the opportunity presents itself, no doubt, but he doesn't chase after it like he used to a couple yrs ago.

Kyle
03-24-2011, 02:03 AM
I don't care that we lost. In a 7 game series, if both teams played like that, that would be an easy 4-1 series for the Wings. Dramatically outplayed the top team in the NHL. Again, don't give a shit that we lost, I feel better about this game (And especially Howard) than any in weeks and weeks. The second goal couldn't have been more flukey, Draper should get the goal and both assists for Vancuver on that one.

Luongo stole this game. Great show by him. Its very refreshing to see a Datsyuk and Franzen-less Wings team playing hockey that good because I really wasn't even giving us much chance going into the playoffs if our defense couldn't shape up. Without a responsible two way player in Franzen and the best two way player in the world, we still played great defense.

We seem to keep shooting 40+ times a night without the goals to show for it. The shots just seem to lack some real power.

canuckthug
03-24-2011, 08:12 AM
^
Yeah, keep telling yourself that! Your using yesterday's 1 game sample as a plausible scenario to dictate the outcome of a 7 game series. Im pretty sure you had Datz and Franzen in the lineup in the previous games. The fact is, over the course of the season, you Wings needed the ShootOut to get your only W's against Van. Canucks were without Malhotra, Edler (our best D) ,Samuelsson (plays well against his former team) last night. Nucks will be better and ready for your Wings in the post-season.

Kyle
03-24-2011, 10:18 AM
Your using yesterday's 1 game sample as a plausible scenario to dictate the outcome of a 7 game series

What are you even reading? I said "If they play like that." Where did I even address its plausibility? Its amazing how often you need to be corrected on your false interpretation of another's argument. I feel like I spend more time explaining things to you than discussing points.

PS - A much more plausible reason why I'd expect the 4-1 outcome is the fact that you guys suck massive amouts of heaping donkey dick in the playoffs. Just maybe. Presidents always has and always will mean shit. Only thing it changes is now you guys HAVE to win the stanley cup or you choked. Just doubled the pressure and Lou and the Nucks don't do their best under pessure. Quite the contrary.

NeelyDan
03-24-2011, 12:06 PM
Kyle is beautifully condescending, it inspires me a great deal lol.

phaneuf6
03-24-2011, 01:29 PM
Kyle is beautifully condescending, it inspires me a great deal lol.

Kyle
03-24-2011, 09:16 PM
I'm inclined to actually take that with gratitude from you, Neely. I'd consider it a sarcastic jab from most, but I have a feeling you mean that. :lol:

NeelyDan
03-25-2011, 06:13 AM
I'm inclined to actually take that with gratitude from you, Neely. I'd consider it a sarcastic jab from most, but I have a feeling you mean that. :lol:

Your feeling is accurate, I view some of your stuff as poetry, lol.

canuckthug
03-25-2011, 04:06 PM
Your feeling is accurate, I view some of your stuff as poetry, lol.

:spit:

I don't care that we lost. In a 7 game series, if both teams played like that, that would be an easy 4-1 series for the Wings. Dramatically outplayed the top team in the NHL. Again, don't give a shit that we lost.

real great hockey analysis here! one of the most insightful "if scenarios" i've read... but enjoy your moment of poetic brilliance..:lol: :beer:

Kyle
03-25-2011, 09:29 PM

real great hockey analysis here! one of the most insightful "if scenarios" i've read... but enjoy your moment of poetic brilliance..:lol: :beer:

Right, thats exactly what he was referring to with his comment. Could you possibly be any more dense? Could you display a lack of basic understanding any more often?

Who said it was supposed to be insightful or brilliant? Who said it was a serious projection of the potential matchup? I was happy over one well played game by Detroit. Neely wasn't referring to my "analysis" in any way.

Stop acting like an asshurt tool and let it go.

canuckthug
03-26-2011, 10:03 AM
Right, thats exactly what he was referring to with his comment. Could you possibly be any more dense? Could you display a lack of basic understanding any more often?

Who said it was supposed to be insightful or brilliant? Who said it was a serious projection of the potential matchup? I was happy over one well played game by Detroit. Neely wasn't referring to my "analysis" in any way.

Stop acting like an asshurt tool and let it go.

the brilliance/insight part was sarcasm because it was far from...the fact is, your statement and opinion was completely useless and asinine. And BTW, Nobody has told anyone to avoid useless posts, but common sense should prevail here. Keep believing in your own erroneous scenario's.. It was 1 game, and if anyone is an asshurt tool, its you.

What NeelyDan said, its all good. I don't really care. Obviously, i understand that 1 or 2 posts do not outweigh the other 5000 posts you put here and he wasnt referring to that 1 post directly.. if NeelyDan feels that way.. cool, good, i wasnt insinuating anything... and if anything, my reply was more or less a fuckin jab for calling the canucks heaping sucking donkey whatever whatever... Anyways, i'll let it go (unless these teams meet in the playoffs and then you can continue bringing your arsenal of water balloons to the gun fight) ... but i felt the need to respond one last time here. Everything revolves around hockey talk. with that said, lets see how the high and mighty Wings do against the lowly (best to not even make the post-season) Leafs tonight. hope their huge fanbase make the trip to Michigan and inject some real noise into the Joe (but more importantly, have reasons to make noise). Heres hoping for 5-1 Leafs with Howard getting the hook. :evilgrin::mad:

phaneuf6
03-26-2011, 10:14 AM
Almost made the trip for the game tonight. 4 tickets for $340, lower bowl, so cheap. Ended up passing and just going to watch at the bar instead.

Hoping for a Leaf win of course, should be a good game though.

canuckthug
03-26-2011, 10:32 PM
Great atmosphere for the game. I caught 2 periods (1st and 3rd) and from what i watched, the Leafs could not compete with the skill level of the Wings. The Wings were ready to play. The Leaf forwards were handling the puck like a hot potato all night and continually gave the puck up. The Wings simply had better defensive positioning and puck pressure. Very little sustained pressure by the Leafs during crucial stretches of the game. Ouch for Howard. Lupul landed on his arm/shoulder hard. The play was questionable.. Was Howard out of the crease? Was it a clear cut goalie interference, Draper was involved? I was cheering for Howard to get pulled but definitely not like that. He took himself out of the game immediately which should send alarms that a definite injury occurred.

chgorman
03-26-2011, 10:32 PM
I didn't watch the game, and I'm only basing this on seeing one replay, but how the fuck did that Lupul goal count? Not only did he interfere with Jimmy, but he injured him on the play and swept the goal in while LYING ON TOP OF HIM! I'd be interested to hear how the CBC and/or FSDET announcers tried to explain that one, or better yet, what the ref was thinking allowing it.

Maybe I missed something there, as I've only seen one replay of it, but from what I saw on that replay, no way that should've counted. You know if that was Holmstrom on Reimer there DEFINITELY woulda been a penalty called, no question.

Kyle
03-26-2011, 10:48 PM
the brilliance/insight part was sarcasm because it was far from...the fact is, your statement and opinion was completely useless and asinine. And BTW, Nobody has told anyone to avoid useless posts, but common sense should prevail here. Keep believing in your own erroneous scenario's.. It was 1 game, and if anyone is an asshurt tool, its you.

What NeelyDan said, its all good. I don't really care. Obviously, i understand that 1 or 2 posts do not outweigh the other 5000 posts you put here and he wasnt referring to that 1 post directly.. if NeelyDan feels that way.. cool, good, i wasnt insinuating anything... and if anything, my reply was more or less a fuckin jab for calling the canucks heaping sucking donkey whatever whatever... Anyways, i'll let it go (unless these teams meet in the playoffs and then you can continue bringing your arsenal of water balloons to the gun fight) ... but i felt the need to respond one last time here. Everything revolves around hockey talk. with that said, lets see how the high and mighty Wings do against the lowly (best to not even make the post-season) Leafs tonight. hope their huge fanbase make the trip to Michigan and inject some real noise into the Joe (but more importantly, have reasons to make noise). Heres hoping for 5-1 Leafs with Howard getting the hook. :evilgrin::mad:

Lol. You sound like a borderline lunatic. Your lack of self awareness is the stuff of legends. :lol:

Incredible shame to see Howard go down.

phaneuf6
03-27-2011, 10:26 AM
I didn't watch the game, and I'm only basing this on seeing one replay, but how the fuck did that Lupul goal count? Not only did he interfere with Jimmy, but he injured him on the play and swept the goal in while LYING ON TOP OF HIM! I'd be interested to hear how the CBC and/or FSDET announcers tried to explain that one, or better yet, what the ref was thinking allowing it.

Maybe I missed something there, as I've only seen one replay of it, but from what I saw on that replay, no way that should've counted. You know if that was Holmstrom on Reimer there DEFINITELY woulda been a penalty called, no question.

That wasn't interference in my eyes.

Only watched a bit of the game. Detroit's neutral zone game is top notch as always.

eykwingnut
03-27-2011, 10:40 AM

The first goal by the leafs (the one you are not talking about) was not interference, but like you said about the second goal, if it was Holmstrom and Reimer it would have been disallowed because "The goalie didn't have an opportunity to make the save." Again, I'm not saying it should have been called back, but if it was Holmstrom I'd be willing to bet my house that it gets called back.

phaneuf6
03-27-2011, 11:29 AM
YouTube - Lupul Goal - Leafs 2 vs Red Wings 2 - Mar 26th 2011 (HD)

Pretty clear Lupul tried stopping short and Draper (?) pushed him over.

chgorman
03-27-2011, 12:18 PM
YouTube - Lupul Goal - Leafs 2 vs Red Wings 2 - Mar 26th 2011 (HD) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRB-f1q3x_s)

Pretty clear Lupul tried stopping short and Draper (?) pushed him over.

:wtf::wtf:

Did you even watch that video before posting it? The only things that are pretty clear are that a) Lupul is clearly in the crease throughout the entire ordeal, b) he slowed up a tiny little bit but it was a ridiculously pathetic attempt to stop, c) he was already falling on Howard before Draper even came close to him, d) Draper barely even touched him, let alone pushed him e) the announcers all agreed that it was interference, if not a penalty then incidental contact at the very least, Craig Simpson being the only one who said 'Draper didn't help himself' by nudging Lupul and that it probably would've been a penalty or incidental contact if Draper wasn't in the area at the time.

Bottom line, it was a terrible play by Lupul resulting in an avoidable injury to Howard and a terrible call by the refs, and again, we all know that if the roles were reversed and that was Holmstrom falling on Reimer with (insert Leafs player here) in the vicinity and giving Homer a nudge, it definitely 100% would have been disallowed due to incidental contact at the very least, probably would've even been a penalty called on Homer on the play.

The fact that the goal was allowed grinds my gears, obviously, but it's not a big deal since the Wings won anyway. It's the fact that the goal was allowed when Lupul made very little effort to not fall on top of Howard (which seems to be a trend recently, Jimmy seems to be taking a lot of contact recently and the refs are doing fuck all about it, something similar happened last game and/or the game before too), it was clearly intereference, Howard is going to miss time because of it, and if the roles were reversed, Homer would've had the book thrown at him. It's bullshit.

phaneuf6
03-27-2011, 12:33 PM
I'm not going to try change your mind cause clearly we're going to differ on this one. Lupul made an attempt to stop and was off balance, and Draper pushed him over.

All injuries are avoidable so I'm not sure if you're pissed because it resulted in an injury to Howard but that's the nature of the game... I'm sure it's not serious.

chgorman
03-27-2011, 03:49 PM
I'm not going to try change your mind cause clearly we're going to differ on this one. Lupul made an attempt to stop and was off balance, and Draper pushed him over.

All injuries are avoidable so I'm not sure if you're pissed because it resulted in an injury to Howard but that's the nature of the game... I'm sure it's not serious.

You don't need to change my mind, it's all right there in the video you posted. Lupul made a douche move purposely skating into the crease to begin with, did a great job of acting like he was trying not to fall on Howard but yet fell directly on him when he could've easily not fallen or could have gotten out of the way before the little nudge Draper gave him, and the refs fucked up by not making the right call by not only allowing the goal, but not calling a penalty on Lupul. Believe me, you don't need to change my mind, it's all right there in the video YOU posted, which is the funniest part of it all.

b_illin
03-27-2011, 03:53 PM
It was questionable, but Draper's hands on Lupul towards the end made it the right call...no hands, no goal and a penalty.

Cghor, you are SO unbiased when it comes to your team :lol:

Kyle
03-28-2011, 02:13 AM
Pot met kettle, Bill.

To inject a dosage of objectivity into this discussion. I do think goaltender interference was committed. Lupul made illegal contact with Howard before Draper ever hit him. Watch the video,"clearly stopped" simply doesn't apply. Obstructive contact with Howard was made before Draper hit him. He already failed at stopping.

That said, Draper did push him and made it incredibly easy for the ref to simply assume it was forced interference. I agree with the ref only because theres no way the human eye viewing that play was going to be able to determine that Lupul was already comiting goaltender interference before he was forced. He didn't have the slowmotion replays and angles we have.

I also disagree that it was a dumb play by Lupul to slide into the crease. Players take advatage of established goaltender positioning all the time and know how much of the crease is theirs to play with. Lupul simply missed his mark.

But there is no question, no opinion, no debate, that illegal goaltending interference was comitted. I don't see how thats even disputable when you look at how much contact Lupul was making with Howard before he ever had a chance to be pushed by Draper.

Hamsterkill
03-28-2011, 08:38 AM
Pot met kettle, Bill.

To inject a dosage of objectivity into this discussion. I do think goaltender interference was committed. Lupul made illegal contact with Howard before Draper ever hit him. Watch the video,"clearly stopped" simply doesn't apply. Obstructive contact with Howard was made before Draper hit him. He already failed at stopping.

That said, Draper did push him and made it incredibly easy for the ref to simply assume it was forced interference. I agree with the ref only because theres no way the human eye viewing that play was going to be able to determine that Lupul was already comiting goaltender interference before he was forced. He didn't have the slowmotion replays and angles we have.

I also disagree that it was a dumb play by Lupul to slide into the crease. Players take advatage of established goaltender positioning all the time and know how much of the crease is theirs to play with. Lupul simply missed his mark.

But there is no question, no opinion, no debate, that illegal goaltending interference was comitted. I don't see how thats even disputable when you look at how much contact Lupul was making with Howard before he ever had a chance to be pushed by Draper.
I'm actually in a agreement with Kyle, here.

canuckthug
03-28-2011, 01:17 PM
Howard left in the third period with an injured left shoulder, but Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said afterward that the Wings' No. 1 goalie appears to have avoided serious injury.

"It doesn't appear to be anything significant," Holland said. "Day to day. It appears to be a strain or a sprain. He's going to go for a precautionary MRI."

Asked if the injury was to Howard's shoulder, Holland said: "Upper body."

"From what I'm told, it's day-to-day, it's nothing significant. He's going for an MRI to be sure. He did all the range of motions. We're going to send him for tests to be sure."

http://www.freep.com/article/20110327/SPORTS05/103270660/1053/Detroit-4-Toronto-2-Howard-not-seriously-hurt-Wings-win

Cornholio
03-28-2011, 03:10 PM
Howie hopes to be back wednesday against the Blues.

Kyle
03-28-2011, 07:42 PM
Unbelievable blown call on that Holmstrom beakaway.

moans
03-28-2011, 07:49 PM
Unbelievable blown call on that Holmstrom beakaway.

Yeah, I can't believe that wasn't called. Hjalmarrson didn't even come close to making contact with the puck.

Jake
03-28-2011, 07:52 PM
I was just about to bitch about that non-call. I cant think of the last time Homer has drawn a penalty, but that was just blatent bullshit

Kyle
03-28-2011, 07:56 PM
Insane pressure by the Wings in the 2nd. This is great hockey. That broken stick allowed for a remarkable offensive zone sequence. Brilliant brilliant job by our depth players.

I know I sound pretentious but this is what I mean when I say nothing compares to battles between the West's elite. Just awesome hockey. I wish Datsyuk was playing.

moans
03-28-2011, 08:44 PM
Insane pressure by the Wings in the 2nd. This is great hockey. That broken stick allowed for a remarkable offensive zone sequence. Brilliant brilliant job by our depth players.

I know I sound pretentious but this is what I mean when I say nothing compares to battles between the West's elite. Just awesome hockey. I wish Datsyuk was playing.

I could not agree more. This is certainly in my list of top fives game for the season. And to think, there's a chance that the Hawks don't make the playoffs. Unreal.

Kyle
03-28-2011, 09:19 PM
That was an incredible hockey game. Great stuff.

chgorman
03-28-2011, 09:32 PM
Agreed, what a game!

two24four
03-28-2011, 11:55 PM
Just for the record on the Lupul/Howard thing, not sure how many of you watch TH2N on TSN2, but they have a thing called c'mon ref with ex NHL ref Kerry Fraser, he said the ref who made that call Saturday night made the right call, he said Lupul stops then was pushed in by Draper.

I also agree about tonight's game, great game to watch.

Hossa was flying all night.

chgorman
03-29-2011, 08:32 AM
Just for the record on the Lupul/Howard thing, not sure how many of you watch TH2N on TSN2, but they have a thing called c'mon ref with ex NHL ref Kerry Fraser, he said the ref who made that call Saturday night made the right call, he said Lupul stops then was pushed in by Draper.

I also agree about tonight's game, great game to watch.

Hossa was flying all night.

Kerry obviously didn't see the clip that phaneuf6 posted above, or he needs glasses (possibly both) because it's pretty clear in that video above that Lupul never came to a full stop and was falling on Howard before Draper even touched him.

I don't really watch that show, but I'd be interested to know how much Fraser agrees with the ref's calls compared to how often he disagrees with it, because I can't see him toossing his breathren under the bus too often and is obviously a little biased towards agreeing with the ref's call seeing as he was a long-time ref himself. Like I say, I've never watched the show so I can't say for sure, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing he rarely disagrees with the ref's call unless it's so blatantly obvious that the ref made the wrong call that he can't agree with the call and still try to be considered an impartial observer. I just think there's a conflict of interest there when a former ref comments on current ref issues/calls, as I can see him trying to protect the ref in question more often than not, as opposed to tossing the guy under the bus for a bad call. (this paragraph isn't directed at you 24, just a general comment)

Regardless, I'll stop ragging on the issue. It's over now, Jimmy might play Weds, if not he'll start on the weekend, and DET won that gm against the Leafs, so I'll drop it. Still a terrible call by the ref IMO (obviously Mr. Fraser disagrees), but I'll leave it at that.

NeelyDan
03-29-2011, 10:26 AM

You don't really need this explained to you, I assume?

b_illin
03-29-2011, 01:24 PM
Pot met kettle, Bill.

Not at all. (and if you disagree, you should read the Leafs thread more closely because I am mighty critical of them when they deserve it...and I will call 'dirty' if one of our players does something dirty. I am definitely a big supporter and defender of the blue and white, but I am capable of looking at the Leafs without the blue and white shades on)

Kyle
03-29-2011, 01:58 PM
You don't really need this explained to you, I assume?

Yes and no. Yes he does need it explained. But I'd side with no because he won't comprehend a word of it.

Bill - Just busting your balls.

Cornholio
03-29-2011, 03:00 PM
Great game last night, I agree!!

Still can't believe the "hook" they called on Zetterberg 3 or 4 seconds before the end of the 3rd though.
It wasn't really even contact made, and IMO you can't send a guy to the box for such a thing in a tie game, heading into OT!!

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-30-2011, 09:26 PM
what the fuck was that

chgorman
03-30-2011, 09:26 PM
Ouch.

Kyle
03-30-2011, 09:29 PM
Disgusting.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
03-30-2011, 09:31 PM
every good team has off days, esp with injuries to the line up but man that was brutal.

chgorman
03-31-2011, 09:12 AM
Yep, Wings couldn't get anything going and the Blues were playing well and getting the bounces all over the ice. Blues could do no wrong, Wings could do no right is basically what it amounted to... just one of those games I guess.

Tough 1st NHL appearance for Tom McCollum. Hopefully it doesn't shake his confidence too much, as he had NO help after taking over for Joey MacD halfway through the game.

chgorman
04-02-2011, 05:02 PM
Nice win today. Definitely still need to tighten up their game a bit before playoffs start, still made too many mistakes today (3 delay of games for shooting the puck over the glass?!?! WTF?!?!?!) but showed great resilience in coming back from down 3-0 to win 4-3 in OT.

Some terrible officiating in the game today. Went both ways, so it wasn't a big deal, but made that first period and start of the 2nd pretty tough to watch.

Cornholio
04-02-2011, 05:45 PM
Agree!!!
But it was a huge win, not only to (finally) clinch the playoff-spot, but also for keep being in first place in the division and huge for the players' self-confidence after the ugly last game!!

Kyle
04-02-2011, 10:54 PM
That was an incredibly crucial comeback.

MrScientist
04-03-2011, 10:26 AM
SOB is a doughboy bitch but good on Bert for kicking his ass anyway.

chgorman
04-03-2011, 10:59 AM
SOB is a doughboy bitch but good on Bert for kicking his ass anyway.

Twice.

chgorman
04-06-2011, 08:47 PM
Missed the 1st period... what happened to Zetts? Did it look bad, or did they just keep him out for the rest of the game as a precautionary measure?

chgorman
04-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Better pick up the compete level A LOT once the playoffs roll around, 'cuz that was quite the poor showing last night, especially in the 1st.

Kyle
04-09-2011, 03:29 PM
Yeah. I'm not optimistic for this playoff season at all. We haven't sustained good play in months. At least we get the clean slate once the postseason rolls around. Our defense and Howard better take advantage of the statistics wipe and pull their heads out of their asses.

Jake
04-09-2011, 09:03 PM
I am still surprised Holland didnt get a vet goalie to push/replace if need be Howie... I don't have too confidence in him (not saying its all his fault)

canuckthug
04-09-2011, 09:14 PM
Im hoping the Wings beat the Hawks tomorrow...

edit: not sure what result im looking to see now. lol. If the Hawks win, the Nucks will face the Kings (who are beat up).

back on topic, the Wings will be without Kronwall and Zetterberg. Game is in Chicago and they can possibly be eliminated. The Red Wings should have incentive/motivation to take the Hawks out. Either way, Babcock should get a better effort in this game. The Hurricanes lost a must win to the Lightning in Carolina so it could happen here.

canuckthug
04-10-2011, 02:08 PM
Class act by Detroit. They did not have to compete like they did today. A great win by the redwings. A solid road effort, no PP's, and they were without Zetterberg.

chgorman
04-10-2011, 02:16 PM
Much better effort today. Nice to see.

Cornholio
04-11-2011, 01:50 PM
Great game yesterday!
Felt like the playoffs already!!

And I am "glad" the Wings got the Yotes, they haven't looked good against the other options lately...

chgorman
04-11-2011, 02:40 PM
I'd rather see them play a banged up LA team, or DAL if they had've made it in, but PHX is definitely a better option than CHI or NSH or ANA, IMO, as long as Bryz doesn't stand on his head all series. That could make it pretty tough.

canuckthug
04-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Re-match from last year. It went 7 then and im going with 7 this year.

Whats the status on Zetterberg? ready or not for game 1.

two24four
04-11-2011, 03:05 PM

Last I heard was he prob won't be ready for game 1, they don't seem to know when he will be back, or at least that is what they are saying.

chgorman
04-11-2011, 03:17 PM

Last I heard was he prob won't be ready for game 1, they don't seem to know when he will be back, or at least that is what they are saying.

Yeah, sounds like he def won't play in game 1, questionable for Saturday. I'm guessing they'll rest him Sat too to see how things go in the first couple gms of the series, then if they feel they need him for gms 3 and/or 4, they may try to get him back on the ice in PHX, but if they can afford not to rush him back, they won't, might as well let him rest and rehab as much as possible before they stick him back in. They did alright against CHI yesterday without him, in a playoff type atmosphere.

Then again, maybe we see him saturday, haha. Tough to say without knowing the full severity of the injury.

two24four
04-11-2011, 03:26 PM
Yeah, sounds like he def won't play in game 1, questionable for Saturday. I'm guessing they'll rest him Sat too to see how things go in the first couple gms of the series, then if they feel they need him for gms 3 and/or 4, they may try to get him back on the ice in PHX, but if they can afford not to rush him back, they won't, might as well let him rest and rehab as much as possible before they stick him back in. They did alright against CHI yesterday without him, in a playoff type atmosphere.

Then again, maybe we see him saturday, haha. Tough to say without knowing the full severity of the injury.

Yeah and we won't know that till DET is done, they won't let that get out at this time of the year. The Canes just said after there last game that E. Staal was lucky to play the last three weeks because of a groin injury, he was not even sure if he could play the last game, but he did, they would not have let that out if the Canes had made the playoffs.

chgorman
04-15-2011, 12:26 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=362354

not that big of a deal, but still a nice honour for Dats.

Cornholio
05-14-2011, 06:47 PM
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/05/analysis_what_changes_will_det.html

The 6-foot-4, 220-pound Ericsson turned down a multiyear offer worth $2 million a season. He improved this season but hasn’t been nearly as effective as he was during his breakout performance in the 2009 playoffs.

Sorry, but I didn't even think he was worth $2 million (yet)...

chgorman
05-14-2011, 07:10 PM
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/05/analysis_what_changes_will_det.html

Sorry, but I didn't even think he was worth $2 million (yet)...

Agreed. He needs to provide more offence and physicality to deserve 2 mil per season. IMO, he hasn't shown enough improvement over the past couple yrs to warrant any kind of raise.

If he wants to walk and thinks he can get more $$ elsewhere, I say let him go. He's not nearly physical enough for a guy of his size and hasn't shown nearly enough development over the past couple seasons.

I'd much rather see Kindl or Brendan Smith take his spot on the roster than see the Wings pay him 2mil+

eykwingnut
05-14-2011, 07:31 PM
Right. Dude is huge but needs to knock some heads.

MrScientist
05-23-2011, 04:21 PM
RealKyper (http://twitter.com/#%21/RealKyper) Nick Kypreos

In a surprise if not shocking move sources tell Sportsnet the #RedWings (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23RedWings) will announce retirement of D Brian Rafalski as early as this week.

Hamsterkill
05-23-2011, 04:27 PM
RealKyper (http://twitter.com/#%21/RealKyper) Nick Kypreos

In a surprise if not shocking move sources tell Sportsnet the #RedWings (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23RedWings) will announce retirement of D Brian Rafalski as early as this week.
Damn... I knew I should've tried to trade him for E. Johnson in my keeper league!

two24four
05-23-2011, 05:47 PM
I don't think many saw this coming.

I don't think he will, but if Lids walks away as well that will be two big shoes (skates) to fill. Rebuild might be coming sooner then most thought.

MrScientist
05-23-2011, 06:01 PM
I don't think many saw this coming.

I don't think he will, but if Lids walks away as well that will be two big shoes (skates) to fill. Rebuild might be coming sooner then most thought.

Raf put up points, but his defense was horrid this year. Not too big of shoes there. Lidstrom, obviously. But that's been anticipated for years. I think they'll get Nick back so Brendan Smith can stay in Grand Rapids another year.

As far as that $6 million in cap space we just gained...Bieksa/Ehrhoff/Salo? Hannan? Brewer?

canuckthug
05-23-2011, 07:03 PM
As far as that $6 million in cap space we just gained...Bieksa/Ehrhoff/Salo? Hannan? Brewer?

the league salary cap is expected to go up around 3 million. This means guys like Bieksa/Ehrhoff can get resigned (assuming Salo walks).

The NHLPA has told agents that the union projects a salary cap of approximately $62.2 million next season if the players vote to trigger the 5-percent escalator, Slap Shots has learned.
That represents an increase of $2.8 million from the current $59.4 million cap.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/players_face_tough_cap_call_TlV0Dk4ExNgZjPtHhkNFFI

DarkValiant
05-23-2011, 09:56 PM
Personally, I'd like to see Detroit go after Weber with a huge offer sheet. I would absolutely LOVE to have Weber in Detroit, I almost wouldn't care what they had to give up to get him.

chgorman
05-23-2011, 10:17 PM
Personally, I'd like to see Detroit go after Weber with a huge offer sheet. I would absolutely LOVE to have Weber in Detroit, I almost wouldn't care what they had to give up to get him.

Agreed. I doubt it happens, but it would be sweet is it did.

And Salo? Really?!? I don't think he's all great, and that's when he's healthy, which is NEVER, so I don't see why that would even be a consideration. At least Bieksa would add some toughness, even though he's injured a lot too. Salo is old and always injured. I don't see it happening.

Weber would be sweet, but I don't see DET giving up the picks it would require to get him (he's RFA, correct)?

eykwingnut
05-23-2011, 10:30 PM
As the biggest Rafalski hater on this board let me say THANK GOD! Dude can't play D to save his life. I'll admit he can move the puck with the best of em and is great at keeping the puck in the zone, but he is absolute shit in his own zone. He's doing this a year or 2 too late IMO... Is this official yet?

DarkValiant
05-23-2011, 10:56 PM
Agreed. I doubt it happens, but it would be sweet is it did.

And Salo? Really?!? I don't think he's all great, and that's when he's healthy, which is NEVER, so I don't see why that would even be a consideration. At least Bieksa would add some toughness, even though he's injured a lot too. Salo is old and always injured. I don't see it happening.

Weber would be sweet, but I don't see DET giving up the picks it would require to get him (he's RFA, correct)?

Yes, but I might be among the minority that would find it completely worth it. It's not like Toronto giving up a bunch of top 5 picks, Detroit (hopefully) is going to keep getting 20th+ picks in each round.

Can you imagine a Kronwall - Weber pairing? Omnomnom.

Dubz
05-23-2011, 11:26 PM
Salo will NEVER get signed in DET

two24four
05-24-2011, 10:30 AM
If a team gives Weber an offer sheet, NSH will just match it, I can't see them letting him walk.

chgorman
05-24-2011, 11:03 AM
If a team gives Weber an offer sheet, NSH will just match it, I can't see them letting him walk.

I dunno, NSH seems to be on a budget and if some team offers him 7mil+ per yr for 10-12 yrs, I'm not sure NSH would (or even could) match, I could see them taking the 5 1st rounders (or whatever the package would be) and running. They always draft D well (and early), so there's nothing saying they wouldn't get the next Weber with one of those picks and would get that player at a much lower price then Weber is going to demand.

I'm guessing NSH will do what they can to retain him and I doubt he ends up going elsewhere, but I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised to see him go somewhere else if he gets a ridiculous offer that NSH can't afford.

And I'm not saying that offer will come from DET (it likely won't as Kenny H has stayed away from RFA offer sheets), but I wouldn't be disappointed if it did :evilgrin:

Also wouldn't mind seeing DET go after Markov (UFA) if he's got a clean bill of health after all of his recent injuries, as he wouldn't cost any picks. Ehrhoff and/or Bieksa would be solid additions too.

two24four
05-24-2011, 11:14 AM
Markov would scare me big time, he's got all the skill in the world, but he seems to be made of glass these last few seasons.

DarkValiant
05-24-2011, 11:42 AM
Markov would scare me big time, he's got all the skill in the world, but he seems to be made of glass these last few seasons.

He's also almost the exact same player as Rafalski. Mad offensive skills but not much in the way of defensive.

Kyle
05-24-2011, 11:52 AM
At this point in their lives, Markov is notably better.

DarkValiant
05-24-2011, 12:04 PM
At this point in their lives, Markov is notably better.

He is also 32 compared to 25. And also much worse defensively.

He's also much more injury prone.

But above all that, Weber shoots right which Detroit desperately needs. Kronwall, Kindl, Ericsson, Lidstrom, Salei and Stuart all shoot Left.

Raja
05-24-2011, 12:30 PM
Kaberle for the sake of my fantasy team please :D

Kyle
05-24-2011, 12:31 PM
You're nuts. You think I'd call Markov notably better than Webber? I was comparing to Rafalski, no way in hell does Markov compare with Webber.

DarkValiant
05-24-2011, 12:36 PM
You're nuts. You think I'd call Markov notably better than Webber? I was comparing to Rafalski, no way in hell does Markov compare with Webber.

My bad.

Kaberle for the sake of my fantasy team please :D

Kaberle's like the same damn player as Rafalski with less motivation. Pass.

Kyle
05-24-2011, 12:38 PM
No worries, I'm just more offended for Webber's sake!

Kyle
05-24-2011, 03:37 PM
Raffy is being dramatically underrated here.

Rationalize this in your minds any way you want to make you feel better, a D-man who you EXPECT to put up 60 points in a healthy season is incredibly rare. There aren't 10 in this league. His defense isn't spectacular but to call it horrid is beyond a joke. I haven't seen him caught out of position or beaten much more often than Lidstrom this year. Hes not great defensively but hes solid and hes BEYOND spectacular offensively. Hes been a top 10 puck-moving D-man in this league since he arrived. We're losing a top 20 D-man in this league today, get a clue if you don't believe that.

This is a big loss. Simple as that. We're not seeing Webber in a Wings uniform. Dream on.

Cornholio
05-24-2011, 03:46 PM
Sure it is a big loss!
I love his passing from his own crease to the offensive blue line, tape to tape to the forward.
He's so good in reading the play, and his overview is superb!!

But he hasn't been healthy at all the last two years, and I can honeslty and of course respect his decision!!

Throwing some other names in there:
Bogosian, Ian White, Pitkanen...

Kyle
05-24-2011, 04:43 PM
I agree. I respect the decision. I don't respect the "Thank God, Finally!" vibe some are projecting. Raffy deserves nothing but love from Wings fans, or at least the acknowledgement that our team is in no way better off without him. I'm just amazed some are actually happy to hear this.

eykwingnut
05-25-2011, 12:31 AM
Sure it is a big loss!
I love his passing from his own crease to the offensive blue line, tape to tape to the forward.
He's so good in reading the play, and his overview is superb!!

But he hasn't been healthy at all the last two years, and I can honeslty and of course respect his decision!!

Throwing some other names in there:
Bogosian, Ian White, Pitkanen...
I could see Bogosian because he has family up here. One of my dad's best friends is his cousin so he always busts my chops when the Wings play Atlanta.

boredguy
05-25-2011, 04:36 AM
Bogo is RFA and with the Thrashers going to Winnipeg i don't see them not re-signing him.

two24four
05-25-2011, 09:29 AM
Bogo is RFA and with the Thrashers going to Winnipeg i don't see them not re-signing him.

Agreed, only way I think they would let Bogo is by trade, can't see them just letting the kid they picked 3rd overall just a few years ago walk.

two24four
05-26-2011, 10:44 AM
Babcock was on the radio yesterday and said he knew Rafi was calling it a career two months ago.

phaneuf6
05-28-2011, 05:12 PM
I'd love to see Smith get a shot. Great player, could have a big future in the NHL.

chgorman
06-16-2011, 03:56 PM
I'd love to see Smith get a shot. Great player, could have a big future in the NHL.

He'll get a shot for sure. With Raffi retired, Salei likely gone and Ericsson asking for more than he's worth, it looks like Smith is definitely going to get a serious shot at an active roster spot in DET next season.

On another note...

Jagr eyeing a return to NHL, has his eyes on DET as his preferred landing spot.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....red_wings.html (http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/06/jaromir_jagr_to_the_red_wings.html)

As long as he's not asking for much $$, I'd have no problem with him coming to play for DET. If he's asking for any more than $4 mil per, Kenny H should tell him to take a hike, especially if he's looking at a multi yr deal, but if he's willing to play for a reasonable salary on a one yr deal, I def wouldn't mind seeing him in a Wings uni.

Cornholio
06-20-2011, 06:02 AM
Rumor:
Lidström returns
http://toomanymenonthesite.com/2011/06/20/report-red-wings-nicklas-lidstrom-will-play-next-season/

chgorman
06-20-2011, 10:20 AM
Rumor:
Lidström returns
http://toomanymenonthesite.com/2011/06/20/report-red-wings-nicklas-lidstrom-will-play-next-season/

Not a rumor anymore. now confirmed:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=369487

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/06/red_wings_nicklas_lidstrom_agr.html

WOO HOO!! So glad to have Lids back for another season.

Cornholio
06-20-2011, 11:18 AM
Great news!!! :)

MrScientist
06-21-2011, 04:30 PM
I posted this on Facebook, please consider it my long-winded manifesto lol.

Here are the players (with one way contracts) on next year's books, with cap hits listed. These are in millions.

1. Zetterberg ($6.083)
2. Datsyuk ($6.70)
3. Franzen ($3.954)
4. Cleary ($2.8)
5. Filppula ($3.0)
6. Hudler ($2.875)
7. Abdelkader ($0.7875)
8. Helm ($0.9125)
9. Bertuzzi ($1.9375)
10. Holmstrom ($1.875)
11. Mursak ($0.550)
12. (1F)
13. (2F)
14. (3F)

1. Lidstrom ($6.20)
2. Stuart ($3.75)
3. Kronwall ($3.0)
4. Kindl ($0.8833)
5. Janik ($0.5125)
6. (1D)
7. (2D)

1. Howard ($2.25)
2. (1G)

This gives the Red Wings $11,328,788 in cap space with a cap of $59.4 million. The cap will be escalating to $64 million, so in reality the approximate cap space to play with is:

$15,928,788

Let's start with forwards. With three spaces available, one will probably be left open for a Tatar/Emmerton type, and I'll give the other to Eaves with a $800,000 cap hit. As for the third, I believe Brooks Laich is the best player to fill it. His cap hit was approximately $2 million on his last deal. He put up Filppula-like numbers, though better, on an offensively stacked Caps team. He'll probably be looking for between $3-$4 million as a versatile player who can score. Let's put his cap number at $3.5 million. Let's also assume one of Emmerton or Tatar gets the other roster spot, Emmerton ($0.533) for argument's sake.

Defense. Have to hit a home run here. James Wisniewski would bring an edge to the Detroit D that lacks a consistent one. Kronwall and Stuart hit, but not every game and teams aren't afraid to go to the net. He's also a right-handed shot, something sorely lacking in the system. He'll likely take advantage of a buyer's market and score a cap hit of $4.5 million. Kevin Bieksa can be interchanged with Wisniewski as they are very similar players. Anton Babchuk would be a great bargain pickup, assuming Janik is to be #7/the depth/the press-boxer. He has a massive shot, is right-handed, and would be a terrific asset on PP2 with Kronwall if you have Wis/Lidstrom on PP1. Let's give Babchuk a cap hit of $2 million.

From the previous number, $15,928,788, let's subtract our additions (tricky!):

Laich ($3.5)
Emmerton ($0.533)
Eaves ($0.8)
Wisniewski OR Bieksa ($4.5)
Babchuk ($2.0)

This gives us $4,595,455 remaining for a goaltender. I truly believe Osgood will come back, if healthy. MacDonald is suitable as a depth goaltender, but let's face it, no one wants to see that all season. Here are some potential replacements just in case: our old buddy Ty Conklin, trusty backup Johan Hedberg, and my pick, Ray Emery. From the Cup Finals to Russia to a career threatened by hip injuries, Emery is a feisty player who no doubt wants to start again. Let's say he takes a one year, $1 million dollar deal.

This is how the final roster would look with $3,595,455 in cap space to play with come trade deadline time.

1. Zetterberg ($6.083)
2. Datsyuk ($6.70)
3. Franzen ($3.954)
4. Cleary ($2.8)
5. Filppula ($3.0)
6. Hudler ($2.875)
7. Abdelkader ($0.7875)
8. Helm ($0.9125)
9. Bertuzzi ($1.9375)
10. Holmstrom ($1.875)
11. Mursak ($0.550)
12. Laich ($3.5)
13. Emmerton ($0.533)
14. Eaves ($0.8)

1. Lidstrom ($6.20)
2. Stuart ($3.75)
3. Kronwall ($3.0)
4. Kindl ($0.8833)
5. Janik ($0.5125)
6. Wisniewski/Bieksa ($4.5)
7. Babchuk ($2.0)

1. Howard ($2.25)
2. Emery ($1.0)

And here are the lines I would like to see with this roster:

Cleary - Datsyuk - Hudler
Zetterberg - Filppula- Franzen
Abdelkader - Laich - Bertuzzi
Mursak- Helm - Eaves
Emmerton - Holmstrom

Lidstrom - Wis-ieksa (:P)
Stuart - Kronwall
Kindl - Babchuk
Janik

Howard
Emery

phaneuf6
06-21-2011, 06:29 PM
You'd take Babchuk in your top 6 D over Smith? No way.

MrScientist
06-21-2011, 08:09 PM
You'd take Babchuk in your top 6 D over Smith? No way.

I'm banking on the organizational past history of not rushing prospects. If you need to save the cap space, then they'll go with him, but unless he blows everyone out of the water in camp I think he's in the AHL next year.

chgorman
06-21-2011, 08:23 PM
I'm banking on the organizational past history of not rushing prospects. If you need to save the cap space, then they'll go with him, but unless he blows everyone out of the water in camp I think he's in the AHL next year.

I would tend to agree with phaneuf on this one. They're not really 'rushing' him if he's ready, and he proved last season in the AHL that he's pretty close to being ready if he isn't already. He's 22 yrs old, three yrs at Wisconsin and one in Grand Rapid under his belt, so it's not like he's an 18 yr old just drafted out of the OHL who needs some time to develop. I think he's ready to take the next step.

Plus, other than his shot, what does Babchuk bring to the table? I'm honestly asking because I haven't seen him play much and based just on what I've heard/read about him, I'm not overly impressed with him.

MrScientist
06-21-2011, 08:27 PM
I would tend to agree with phaneuf on this one. They're not really 'rushing' him if he's ready, and he proved last season in the AHL that he's pretty close to being ready if he isn't already. He's 22 yrs old, three yrs at Wisconsin and one in Grand Rapid under his belt, so it's not like he's an 18 yr old just drafted out of the OHL who needs some time to develop. I think he's ready to take the next step.

Plus, other than his shot, what does Babchuk bring to the table? I'm honestly asking because I haven't seen him play much and based just on what I've heard/read about him, I'm not overly impressed with him.

I had him in mind for the PP basically. He'd give the second unit a legitimate threat and he's also right handed. I suppose his signing would be more risky if the team doesn't believe Kindl can play every day yet.

chgorman
06-21-2011, 08:30 PM
Good point. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out. Could definitely be some major changes. Talk of Huds possibly being traded.

Sounds like Jagr has narrowed his choices down to DET, PIT and one other 'mystery' team (I'm guessing possibly NYR?)

DarkValiant
06-22-2011, 04:54 AM
I had him in mind for the PP basically. He'd give the second unit a legitimate threat and he's also right handed. I suppose his signing would be more risky if the team doesn't believe Kindl can play every day yet.

This is the biggest issue they're going to run in to in the next season, I think.

Without Rafalski they currently don't have a single right handed shot for the PP. Smith is also a left handed shot, so that doesn't fix that problem either.

Wisniewski and Bieksa are both right handed shots so they'd be good additions as tons of others have already said.

Whatever they do they're going to have to get SOMEONE that can shoot right on the blue line.

MrScientist
06-22-2011, 08:50 AM
This is the biggest issue they're going to run in to in the next season, I think.

Without Rafalski they currently don't have a single right handed shot for the PP. Smith is also a left handed shot, so that doesn't fix that problem either.

Wisniewski and Bieksa are both right handed shots so they'd be good additions as tons of others have already said.

Whatever they do they're going to have to get SOMEONE that can shoot right on the blue line.

I've heard that Hudler and maybe even Filppula are being shopped. Maybe Kenny will do something crazy like acquire Jeff Carter.

Kyle
06-22-2011, 08:41 PM
Lidstrom gets his well-deserved 7th Norris Trophy. Its quite impossible to find the words to accurately convey the privilege its been to watch him through the entirety of his prime that still clearly hasn't passed. This man deserves full consideration for the best D-man to ever play the game. So incredibly glad hes back another season and I expect to be as teary-eyed as I was when Yzerman made his announcement when that time finally comes. He is easily among the classiest and most well-liked individuals in the league's history also, I don't think a bad word has ever been publicly spoken about him and I'd be hard-pressed to fathom people speaking ill of him privately. Crosby and Ovechkin might sell the sport to the public but Lidstrom is the face of hockey to players and the individual they all try to emulate most. Holland, Bowman and Steve Yzerman dragged this team out of the gutter but Nick Lidstrom was the missing piece that enabled them to become champions and it showed when our success didn't even somewhat falter without Yzerman or Bowman. Lidstrom deserves all the praise in the world for that.

Nick Lidstrom is without question far and beyond the very best hockey player of our generation. Salute!

DarkValiant
06-22-2011, 09:57 PM
Lidstrom gets his well-deserved 7th Norris Trophy. Its quite impossible to find the words to accurately convey the privilege its been to watch him through the entirety of his prime that still clearly hasn't passed. This man deserves full consideration for the best D-man to ever play the game. So incredibly glad hes back another season and I expect to be as teary-eyed as I was when Yzerman made his announcement when that time finally comes. He is easily among the classiest and most well-liked individuals in the league's history also, I don't think a bad word has ever been publicly spoken about him and I'd be hard-pressed to fathom people speaking ill of him privately. Crosby and Ovechkin might sell the sport to the public but Lidstrom is the face of hockey to players and the individual they all try to emulate most. Holland, Bowman and Steve Yzerman dragged this team out of the gutter but Nick Lidstrom was the missing piece that enabled them to become champions and it showed when our success didn't even somewhat falter without Yzerman or Bowman. Lidstrom deserves all the praise in the world for that.

Nick Lidstrom is without question far and beyond the very best hockey player of our generation. Salute!

100% agreed.

Lidstrom has been my favorite hockey player since I was old enough to give a shit about hockey. He's the reason I became a defenceman and the reason I've loved watching the Wings all these years.

He's now tied for 2nd in all time Norris wins behind only Bobby Orr and tied with Doug Harvey.

Definitely one of the best and most respected defencemen to ever play in the NHL.

habsfan1
06-23-2011, 08:42 AM
Can you define our generation (years wise), does Super Mario come into our generation?

MrScientist
06-23-2011, 09:37 AM
It may be different for Kyle, who I believe is a few years older than me, but I'm 21, so I more or less grew up with Nick Lidstrom. Definitely defines my generation, helps living in Michigan too though.

Kyle
06-23-2011, 12:02 PM
Yeah, thats for sure.

I refer to "our generation" as the years most of us became 10 and able to actually comprehend the sport/prefer certain players. Most of us here became 10 years old when Mario was either done putting up 100+ point seasons or only had 1-2 more left in him. Anyone here over 35 definitely got to see him through his full prime, but the vast majority here are younger and definitely couldn't say they were aware of the magic taking place on the ice with Lemieux/Gretzky in the 80's while they were still so young. Conversely, everybody on this message board has been an aware and active hockey fan through every one of Lidstrom's Norris trophies and Stanley Cups, so speaking for the board as a collective whole, Lidstrom's the best player of our generation.

Hamsterkill
06-23-2011, 12:28 PM
I'd still be inclined to place that honor on Sakic (or Roy/Brodeur if we're including goalies). I'd agree with arguably best player of our generation, though.

Kyle
06-24-2011, 02:14 AM
Its hard for me to lean towards Roy or Brodeur when Hasek was clearly more talented than either of them. If he wasn't surrounded by total shit 3/4 of his career there'd be little arguing he was the best goalie any of us got to watch. In Lidstrom's case there isn't even a somewhat debatable defenseman to argue alongside him.

Sakic was as notable a leader as Lidstrom but definitely not as dominant at his position. His numbers may be much flashier but relative to the position, Sakic was the best center in the league maybe 2, 3 seasons whereas Lidstrom was the best D-man in the league 7-8 seasons. Sakic really doesn't deserve the nod over Yzerman, Jagr, potentially even his teammate Forsberg, none of whom I'd rank ahead of Lidstrom either (I put Lids ahead of Yzerman on an all-time players list).

Lidstrom and Sakic both displayed remarkable leadership qualities, and Sakic was a phenomenal center, but he didn't dominate the center position even somewhat on par with Lidstrom as a D-man. I don't think theres a more fair way to judge players from different positions. They both had incredible competition through their careers and Lidstrom clearly shined brighter. Only one D-man has been given the nod as the best in the league more than 2 times in the last 20 years, and hes been given it 7 times. In a more balanced, competitive league than ever, this says everything needed to be said on the subject IMO.

Doctego
06-24-2011, 08:41 AM
Having been alive through the primes of Gretzky and Lemieux, I can't put Lidstrom above them but he absolutely deserves to be not far behind them. I would rather just say that he has been the best D and leave it at that. No one is being disrespected there.

dw13
06-24-2011, 08:48 AM
Top marks for Lidstrom. Outstanding on and off the ice, there's no question. He's in my top 2 of my generation, and I'd rather not get to ranking them. Sakic and Lidstrom were to of the games greats.

Dubz
06-24-2011, 11:50 AM
Ray Bourque would be my choice but to say Lids is #1 of this (our) generation is absolutely correct. He is actually honored as #1 ALL-TIME in this article.

http://www.prohockey-fans.com/hockey-articles/best-nhl-defensemen_070708.html

Kyle
06-24-2011, 05:00 PM
Good post, Dubz. I agree with the author that Nick Lidstrom is the most well-rounded defenseman to ever play the game. Though he obviously didn't put a dramatic deal of thought into that list, I agree with its order. A defenseman is about defense first, and Lidstrom is the best defensive player in the league's history. That he manages to hang in the top 10 all time offensive D-man list also, is what sets him over the top. Orr is far and beyond the most offensively gifted D-man to ever play the game (One of the most offensively talented, period) but he didn't revolutionize or define the defensive aspect of his position the way Lidstrom has. I have no right or basis to call him defensively average, but his defensive play clearly wasn't significant.

I'm not saying its an easy nod in Lidstrom's favor. But my own criteria values defensive play more heavily than offensive performance so I personally would give him a slight edge over Orr on the all-time list based on absolute top-notch D consistently for 20 years.

"Obviously, he deserves it," Chara said. "Nicky is such an icon – one of the greatest, if not the greatest, defenseman to play the game.

"There's not many times I watch NHL games during the season, but when it is Detroit, I watch it just because of him. I look up to him so much, and he has done so much for the game. It's just the way he acts and plays the game that makes you want to be like him. Obviously, my style of game is different, but (he's) such an inspirational player."

Doctego
06-24-2011, 06:22 PM
I don't want to diminish Lidstrom's play in any way because I love him as a player but how exactly did he do what you mentioned here:

but he didn't revolutionize or define the defensive aspect of his position the way Lidstrom hasLidstrom has had a great career and is a certain hall of famer but what has he done to revolutionize the game? The way that I see it, he did what tons of players have done in the past. He just did it a hell of a lot better.

I'm genuinely curious as to your response.

Kyle
06-24-2011, 06:48 PM
I get it, he didn't invent a new way to play defense like my comment might imply. But I really hadn't heard of too many defenders being renowned for their ability to shut down the opposition's top players without ANY sort of physical play whatsoever (besides effectively using his body to shield the puck on the boards). He instilled a comparable fear to even attempt a play that bone-crushing D-men put into their opponents. Instead of worrying about their physical well-being, players have to figure out the puzzle of how to set up a play under the circumstances Lidstrom imposes on them for almost half of every game against the Wings. He makes the opposition less confident. Hes by far, IMO, the smartest D-man to ever play the game. His ability to read a play before its developed and end offense before it begins to threaten is astounding. His offensive awareness is just as impressive and he is one of the most accurate cross-ice D-men in league history.

But the reality is Nick Lidstrom wasn't the first to display any or all of those qualities. Just, as you said, the one to shine them cpllectively brighter than anybody else. So based on that I'll agree that revolutionary is a bit much to describe him.

Jake
06-24-2011, 09:26 PM
I hope the Wings don't regret trading away this pick, I was hopeful when Puempel was still around. Not a fan of trading down 11 picks, I dont think the return was enough

DarkValiant
06-24-2011, 10:12 PM
I really hope that Detroit can steal Jurco at 35th. He's just like a mini Datsyuk. Would be a steal that late imo.

two24four
06-25-2011, 11:29 AM
Well you got Jurco, great pick.

DET picked Alan Quine in round 3, 85th overall, you guys will love him down the road, he's super fast, plays both ends of the ice well, loves going into the corners and most times comes out with the puck, could end up being a steal. He went 2nd overall in the OHL draft a few years ago.

DarkValiant
06-25-2011, 12:07 PM
So happy with Detroit's second round.

Got Jurco with that 35 pick who I really, really like.

Two really solid offensive Dmen later in the round with Ouellet and Sproul.

Kyle
06-25-2011, 02:32 PM
Good draft year certainly.

Doctego
06-25-2011, 07:15 PM
Really hard to ever question a Detroit draft based on their past success.

chgorman
06-26-2011, 01:00 PM
Hearin' lots of good things about Jurco. Pretty happy with the pick. Kenny H strikes again.

Spartan
07-01-2011, 07:58 AM
I've always been a "trust Holland" guy whenever something bad/questionable happens. But I can't handle this deal for Erickson @ 3yr/$9.75. Terrible contract for a perennial let down.

DarkValiant
07-01-2011, 08:10 AM
I've always been a "trust Holland" guy whenever something bad/questionable happens. But I can't handle this deal for Erickson @ 3yr/$9.75. Terrible contract for a perennial let down.

I agree.

I can almost see Holland freaking out as soon as he saw that Ehrhoff was off the market and just giving Ericsson whatever he wanted.

eykwingnut
07-01-2011, 08:36 AM
I didn't see that, but it's horrible. He better start using that body in front of the net, and stop being caught out of position. He needs to get back to his 2008 (I believe) playoff form.

Spartan
07-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Eaves back 3yrs. $3.6mil.

Miller back as well 2yr. $1.65mil.

chgorman
07-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Terrible contract for Ericsson. So with Ehrhoff, Markov, and Wiz off the board, who does Kenny go after? TKab?

Spartan
07-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Might have to trade now.

canuckthug
07-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Terrible contract for Ericsson. So with Ehrhoff, Markov, and Wiz off the board, who does Kenny go after? TKab?

Sheldon Souray is my guess.

chgorman
07-01-2011, 11:41 AM
Sheldon Souray is my guess.

Doubt it. He's got the big shot from the point but he's worse than Rafalski was defensively and I don't see Kenny going after a player like that when defensive coverage was one of the team's weaknesses last season.

Dubz
07-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Might have to trade now.

Maybe they can take Komi off our hands for a 7th rounder lol

chgorman
07-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Can't say I'm too happy about the Wings getting Commodore. He'll add some toughness but that's about it. He's way too slow though and definitely not an acceptable replacement for Rafalski offensively. Nice and cheap (1mil for 1yr) but that's the best I can say about it.

Kinda scratching my head about what Kenny has done today.

redwingbill
07-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Yea, kind of weird signing Commodore. Can he really contribute positively in DET when he hardly played for the CBJ? Maybe he fell out of favor with Aniel. Who knows time will tell.

DarkValiant
07-01-2011, 03:54 PM
I still think that Kaberle is the guy Detroit's after. Pretty similar to Rafalski in a lot of ways, not terrible defensively but more offensively minded.

I wouldn't HATE the signing if it's at least a reasonable salary.

Jake
07-01-2011, 03:57 PM
Not a fan of the Ericsson deal. I was honestly hoping to let Ericsson walk and go for Kaberle (with hopes that since his value is down we can scoop him up cheap and he rediscovers his game in Detroit). The Commadore deal isn't bad, its "only" a million and a year...in fact I don't mind that at all.

I also love how realistic Detroit fans are.... we call it like we see it and don't try to justify every move our GM makes

Doctego
07-01-2011, 04:19 PM
I also love how realistic Detroit fans are.... we call it like we see it

:lol::lol:

Kyle
07-01-2011, 04:47 PM
The problem is "calling it like we see it" sounds like homerism, because the reality is: We do deserve a great deal more praise than any organization in hockey or any major professional sport, quite frankly. We are the best over the last 20 years. Theres no discussion, no debate, no even somewhat considering somebody else as a close second. You're laughing because you feel we praise our team far too much to "call it like we see it" but the fact is the praise is justified and deserved, hence why they get it from all sources in the sports world universally. So yes the majority of what we project will be optimistic and positive, God forbid 20 consecutive successful years makes an impression on us?

The fact is when a decision or behavior occurs that is questionable, we do challenge it. We question our goaltenders. We question our contracts when necessary (Though we've thankfully been spoiled in this regard). So yes, we do call it like we see it. I remember the majority of us telling Hudler to keep his head up when he got smashed vs Anaheim years back. A bunch of guys in this thread hated on Rafalski regularly despite nearly PPG numbers because they aren't pleased with his defensive play.

There is no struggle among us to admit to the less flattering realities of our organization because the overall truth is still so flattering regardless.

I would honestly like to see how overwhelmingly obnoxious any other team's fan base would come off if they had met a quarter of the success Detroit has over 20 years. Philly would be one gigantic collective flow of verbal diarrhea if you guys were as good even half as long.

I guess its hard to look objective when you're indisputably the best.

Doctego
07-01-2011, 04:52 PM
No one is disputing their success over the years. Anyone with half a brain will applaud them for it. I was only laughing at that comment. The Detroit fans here are loyal and energetic. They are a lot of other things but objective, which someone would have to be to "call it like they see it", is not 1 of them.

Kyle
07-01-2011, 05:14 PM
And I disagree. I think we are objective by the standards of an average sports fan. I don't think we've ever been delusional or overly optimistic and I think we've applied a fair bit of brutal honesty in our input of the team over the years. It seems you believe otherwise because of the well-deserved praise we give the organization constantly, even if you'll respond by saying you know they deserve it. It can't be totally irrelevant to your reasoning for thinking we're biased. I really don't think theres anything we could do short of simply saying less about how great the organization is that'd make you or anybody else possibly consider us objective. The lot of the non-Det fans here roll their eyes and have a collective, frustrated "lets see something new" mentality towards Detroit praise. Its rather obvious and I think you're reflecting that mentality.

eykwingnut
07-01-2011, 11:34 PM
Can't say I'm too happy about the Wings getting Commodore. He'll add some toughness but that's about it. He's way too slow though and definitely not an acceptable replacement for Rafalski offensively. Nice and cheap (1mil for 1yr) but that's the best I can say about it.

Kinda scratching my head about what Kenny has done today.
I like the deal.

Eaves back 3yrs. $3.6mil.

Miller back as well 2yr. $1.65mil.
I love both these deals!

Kyle
07-02-2011, 12:08 AM
I agree, very glad about all three.

Cornholio
07-02-2011, 02:40 AM
I like bringing Eaves and Miller back, I also have no problem at all with Commodore, although he might be the 7th D-man, but I still can't understand the overpayement of Ericsson....

Shorter version: I agree with all of you ;)

Jake
07-02-2011, 07:11 PM
5.75 for 2 years of Ian White?????????????????:eek::freak::mad:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=Ai5wYxbCVtrW4JEVHrF3qQl7vLYF?slug=ap-redwings-white

DarkValiant
07-02-2011, 07:59 PM
White's highly, highly underrated. I actually think this is a great signing, even if the money is a LITTLE high. Under 3 million for a guy that can play in the top 4 D isn't too bad.

Just think, Ericsson is getting paid more than that to play in the last pairing.

Dubz
07-03-2011, 02:36 AM
White is a good add.....better than Salo imo

Cornholio
07-03-2011, 07:27 AM
I like the White signing!!!
But I wonder if he will be on the first PP, being the only right handed shooter (besides from Commodore, Eaves and Mursak I think)...

Cornholio
07-05-2011, 11:55 AM
What do you guys think of getting a new backup?
Or would you rather have Ozzie as the #2?
Turco, Emery, Conklin, Leclaire should be available...

chgorman
07-05-2011, 12:26 PM
I was fine Joey MacD last yr TBH but Kenny has made it clear that that's not the plan for next season, so I guess it's either Oz or somebody else.

I'm concerned about Oz's health, otherwise I'd be fine with them sticking with him. His body seems to be breaking down and I'm not sure how much he has left in the tank, so I think I'd prefer to see them go with somebody a little younger. I'd be fine with Conklin as he was reliable in his previous stint with the Wings and seems like a great 'team' guy. I'd also be fine with Turco as long as he could be had on the cheap. I think he's still got some solid yrs in him and even though he's taken a bit of a step back in the past few seasons, he was great for a while there in DAL and I think he's still got some game. I'd probably shy way from Emery (injury and mental issues) and Leclaire (constant injury issues) if I were Kenny H.

Spartan
07-05-2011, 03:16 PM
White's highly, highly underrated. I actually think this is a great signing, even if the money is a LITTLE high. Under 3 million for a guy that can play in the top 4 D isn't too bad.

Just think, Ericsson is getting paid more than that to play in the last pairing.I don't hate the White signing either. A lot of Wings fans foolishly thought that Rafalski could be replaced or even upgraded in free agency. There was nobody there to do that short of trying to steal away Doughty. The market was high priced this year on defense and if the signing we make is a mistake then its better to be a 2 year than a 5+ year mistake. White could end up like Stuart where he bounces from place to place then finds a fit here and gets a long term deal. With Lidstrom's age in consideration and new deals needed for Kronwall and Stuart, this defense is a project to be worked out over this and the next two off seasons. Paying near Lidstrom money for a player like Wisniewski or Erhoff makes little sense at this time.

Dubz
07-05-2011, 11:16 PM
I don't hate the White signing either. A lot of Wings fans foolishly thought that Rafalski could be replaced or even upgraded in free agency. There was nobody there to do that short of trying to steal away Doughty. The market was high priced this year on defense and if the signing we make is a mistake then its better to be a 2 year than a 5+ year mistake. White could end up like Stuart where he bounces from place to place then finds a fit here and gets a long term deal. With Lidstrom's age in consideration and new deals needed for Kronwall and Stuart, this defense is a project to be worked out over this and the next two off seasons. Paying near Lidstrom money for a player like Wisniewski or Erhoff makes little sense at this time.

I agree...its not a bad move at all.

As for the Goalie...i wonder if Leighton could end up there.

chgorman
07-06-2011, 08:40 AM
I don't hate the White signing either. A lot of Wings fans foolishly thought that Rafalski could be replaced or even upgraded in free agency. There was nobody there to do that short of trying to steal away Doughty. The market was high priced this year on defense and if the signing we make is a mistake then its better to be a 2 year than a 5+ year mistake. White could end up like Stuart where he bounces from place to place then finds a fit here and gets a long term deal. With Lidstrom's age in consideration and new deals needed for Kronwall and Stuart, this defense is a project to be worked out over this and the next two off seasons. Paying near Lidstrom money for a player like Wisniewski or Erhoff makes little sense at this time.

I don't mind the White signing either, but I think I woulda prefered Ehrhoff (even long term) as long as he wasn't demanding more than Raffi was making. I wouldn't have minded Wiz either, but definitely not for as much as he got from CBJ. I don't think anybody in their right mind thought that Raffi could be upgraded, but I think Ehrhoff woulda made a solid replacement at the very least.

Still not happy with the Ericsson deal, but as Kenny has said, now that they've given him the money he wanted, the pressure is now solely on him to take the next step, live up to the deal and earn his money. Otherwise, I'm okay with the rest of the deals. Initially I was shocked at the Commodore signing, but for only a mil, I guess it's not a bad deal, he'll provide some more size, toughness, net-front clearing ability, shot blocking, etc, and he's a sorely needed right-handed shot, although I'm not sure how many offensive opportunities he'll get.

Overall, I'm ok with the moves that were made, and if Kenny can sign a decent backup G, that'll be the icing. Definitely no 'big splash' signing, no true replacement for Rafalski, but some solid tweaks that still leave enough cap space to make a bit of a splash at the deadline if necessary.

Cornholio
07-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Wings sign RW Chris Conner 1y
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/07/red_wings_sign_forward_chris_c.html

eykwingnut
07-07-2011, 11:13 AM
Wings sign RW Chris Conner 1y
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/07/red_wings_sign_forward_chris_c.html
From what I've seen of him I like him. Small but worked hard in the games that I saw. I'm sure he came cheap too so I like this pickup.

eykwingnut
07-07-2011, 11:19 AM
This is our chance to get rid of Hudler, send him to Florida hah.

Dubz
07-11-2011, 11:31 AM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=371503

Howard is gonna play 70 games....if they know whats best for them lol

MrScientist
07-11-2011, 11:45 AM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=371503

Howard is gonna play 70 games....if they know whats best for them lol

It's a two way deal. He's in the same position he was last year, doesn't mean anything to me yet.

Cornholio
07-11-2011, 12:16 PM
http://www.freep.com/article/20110711/SPORTS05/110711035/Detroit-Red-Wings-re-sign-MacDonald-Osgood-may-next

MacDonald’s cap hit is $550,000, but he’s on a two-way deal for ’11-12, meaning he’ll only make $105,000 in the minors.
“He’s going to be our third guy,” general manager Ken Holland said.
Works for me as the 3rd goalie!

Cornholio
07-18-2011, 04:15 PM
Media conference scheduled for noon tomorrw, with Ken Holland and Chris Osgood.

Dubz
07-18-2011, 05:23 PM
Media conference scheduled for noon tomorrw, with Ken Holland and Chris Osgood.

I think they are gonna play him...not sure its the right move but DET always remains admirable to their players. I cant really see them holding a conference to announce retirement but i spose its a possibility.

Spartan
07-19-2011, 08:53 AM
Osgood to retire and take a position in the organIzation. Congrats to Ozzie on a fantastic career. Maybe the biggest contributor for the 2008 cup.

http://www.freep.com/article/20110719/SPORTS05/110719002/Chris-Osgood-Red-Wings-veteran-goaltender-to-retire?odyssey=tab|mostpopular|text|SPORTS

chgorman
07-19-2011, 09:09 AM
Mlive saying Conklin will likely be signed as Jimmy's backup. I don't mind that at all. He was solid when he was with DET a few yrs ago, seems like a great 'team' guy, another solid experienced vet to help Jimmy out when necessary.

Kyle
07-19-2011, 10:20 AM
Grats to a very likely future Hall of Fame inductee Chris Osgood on a fantastic career. The Wings owe him a lot.

Cornholio
07-19-2011, 03:10 PM
I am glad he retires, he didn't look too good all of last year IMO.

But I am thankful for his huge 2008 playoff performance!
As Spartan said, he might have been the key to the cup!

And great he got his 400th win! :)

Chilly_Willy
07-19-2011, 03:40 PM
Class act Ozzy, hope to see you in the Hall.

Would be nice to see Draper follow suit, not a knock on him its just time. I think the wings need to move on from last generation and have Holmstrom take a diminished roll or retire too. Lidstrom can play another couple years :)

fancy19
07-19-2011, 07:08 PM
Grats Ozzy, would like to see you in the HOF, 3 cups, always there when it counts.

chgorman
07-20-2011, 09:59 AM
Mlive saying Conklin will likely be signed as Jimmy's backup. I don't mind that at all. He was solid when he was with DET a few yrs ago, seems like a great 'team' guy, another solid experienced vet to help Jimmy out when necessary.

Now confirmed, Conks signs for 1 yr to backup Howard, likely less than $1mil

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/07/red_wings_officially_announce.html

I like it.

Cornholio
07-20-2011, 11:11 AM
Solid deal!

Cornholio
07-25-2011, 03:48 PM
Draper is gonna announce his retirement tomorrow.
Press conference at 11 am

chgorman
07-25-2011, 03:49 PM
Drapes to make his retirement announcement at a news conference tomorrow.

Pretty solid career for a guy who the Wings obtained for a dollar. 4 Cups, one of the best shut-down defensive forwards of his generation. Not many players in the league (if any) had a stronger work ethic, gave 110% every time he stepped on the ice, practice or game.

Chilly_Willy
07-25-2011, 06:26 PM
Great career Drapes. The one dollar man hahahaha. I think many teams in hind sight would have spent much more than that for his shutdown services.

two24four
10-20-2011, 10:13 AM
I see the Red Wings signed G Petr Mrazek to a three year entry level deal. I have said this before, I think he's the best goalie in the OHL.

chgorman
10-20-2011, 12:04 PM
I see the Red Wings signed G Petr Mrazek to a three year entry level deal. I have said this before, I think he's the best goalie in the OHL.

He's definitely putting up some solid numbers. At this rate, he'll be Howard's backup within a few years. I was really hoping that McCollum would be that guy but it doesn't appear that that's going to happen. doesn't seem to be developing very well.

Chilly_Willy
10-20-2011, 04:02 PM
McCollum was touted as being highly skilled, we was drafted in front of Markstrom even, but no development has not gone well, he is currently in the ECHL after struggling to even stay in the AHL as a backup. If he gets back on track its an uphill battle but we all know the wings have pretty infinite patience and he was a first rounder which may give him a little more leeway than some.