PDA

View Full Version : Toronto Maple Leafs Thread - Leafers, Let's Try To Keep Leaf Talk Here

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59

b_illin
10-11-2007, 04:28 PM
Last year, after numerous comments & complaints, I decided to start the 'Official Leaf Lovers Thread' - soon after the 'Official Leaf Haters Thread' was born (which completely went against the reason I started the thread in the first place - not for praising the leafs as much trying to keep non-Leafers happy by not filling the board with Leaf talk)

Anyway, the 'Leafs get raked' thread started the hating up again (feel free to read my sole post in that thread) and it is muy frustrating as a Leaf fan to have to deal with it. Y'all hate that there are so many Leaf fans (some are dumb fucks, we know) and we (Leafers) hate how much hatred there is and how quickly we get piled on. These two sides will never see the others point of contention, so why bother continuing with this vicious circle?

So, there will be both positive comments about the Leaf in this thread and there will be critical (NOT negative) comments in this thread, but please, no hating. (and please don't start another Haters thread - is it really necessary?)

I am going to give a brief example of a critical (NOT negative) comments regarding the Leafs;

- McCabe needs to be traded - I cannot believe how horrid he has looked this season.
- MLSE (ownership) is majority owned by the Ontario Teachers Pension. Their mandate is to make a handsome profit, not win Stanley Cups. It is far easier to sell out every game when they give us the impression they are trying to ice a team that can win the Cup than it is to actually win the Cup and raise expectations (which lead to those expectations getting dashed and fans possibly hitting MLSE where it hurts, in their pocket). This is why they have not decided to rebuild like the Flyers recently have done. A lot of Leaf fans these days are all for rebuilding process where we sell off our valuable veterans and get picks/prospects in return. In this new NHL, rebuilding can take 1-3 yrs which is not a long time.

To further muddy the waters, I read a Damien Cox (President of the Leaf Haters club!) blog piece saying that MLSE has it's (greasy) fingers in too many other ventures - the Raptors, Toronto FC, building condos, booking concerts, etc. The result is that there is not enough focus on the hockey team...at least as much as there should be given the market and the fanbase, etc.

So, see, Leaf fans can be critical of their team too!

I will say again, please refrain from hating on the Leafs here (or in another thread) as it simply is not necessary. I, a Leaf fan, am taking the first step towards trying to reduce all the Leaf-related bickering on here. Help me out!

Thanks and happy posting!!

tfaz07
10-11-2007, 04:42 PM
that thread wasn't needed. (Leafs get raked) I understand that people get upset with all the loud, annoying leaf fans but they think all of us are. I thought i remember seeing that someone posted in there cuz of all the obnoxious leaf fans when we hadn't done anything this season yet. They are just as bad IMO.

But as for the rebuilding. I don't understand why we don't. I can see that they don't want to dissapoint the fans with a few bad seasons but that is what most want. As long as it means we will contend afterwards

WinnipegWingnut
10-11-2007, 04:46 PM
Time for a new GM, and a Management team that wants to win. I hate the Leafs, but I would like to see them in the playoffs again. The NHL is missing out on huge revenue by not having the most popular team in the playoffs. TV ratings would go up, attendance figures... everything.

b_illin
10-11-2007, 04:50 PM
Time for a new GM, and a Management team that wants to win. I hate the Leafs, but I would like to see them in the playoffs again. The NHL is missing out on huge revenue by not having the most popular team in the playoffs. TV ratings would go up, attendance figures... everything.

Seriously, good points. (and I agree an across-the-organization change is needed...I'd love to start with ownership!)

WinnipegWingnut
10-11-2007, 04:57 PM
Seriously, good points. (and I agree an across-the-organization change is needed...I'd love to start with ownership!)

Ownership will never change. That's like telling a group you want to buy their money making machine for a dollar when they know it'll make them 10 dollars that year.

What the Leafs need is a good GM, like the Raptors GM. One that wants to win, not just stay put because the building is full and the merch is selling.

I know it's hard to envision if you've tried to buy a Leaf ticket the last 10 years, but if they keep losing and missing the playoffs, the fans will finally get fed up. That is when you'll see MLSE do something, but not until then.

You Leaf fans should start a non-sit in, quit buying tickets!

beely
10-11-2007, 04:57 PM
Anton Stralman and Simon Gammach (sp) make their leafs debut tonight =)

I want to see what this stralman is about as he's getting a lot of hype

b_illin
10-11-2007, 05:37 PM
Ownership will never change. That's like telling a group you want to buy their money making machine for a dollar when they know it'll make them 10 dollars that year.

What the Leafs need is a good GM, like the Raptors GM. One that wants to win, not just stay put because the building is full and the merch is selling.

I know it's hard to envision if you've tried to buy a Leaf ticket the last 10 years, but if they keep losing and missing the playoffs, the fans will finally get fed up. That is when you'll see MLSE do something, but not until then.

You Leaf fans should start a non-sit in, quit buying tickets!

I'd love to but the combination of crazy demand and huge corporate ownership of seats (I'd say at least half the lower bowl are company tickets), it isn't going to happen. :(

b_illin
10-11-2007, 05:39 PM
Anton Stralman and Simon Gammach (sp) make their leafs debut tonight =)

I want to see what this stralman is about as he's getting a lot of hype

Stralman I think needs a year in the AHL to develop - there is no need to rush him, so let him get used to NA ice and play.

Gamache however I am very eager to see as I think he could stick. He has wheels, he can score and he had great chemistry with Steen & Stajan in the preseason if memory serves.

gagne21
10-11-2007, 08:49 PM
How the hell do the Leafs lose a game 7-1, then come back with a 7-1 win (midway through third)...unbelievable.

On a side note, how good has Stajan been so far this year...money.

phaneuf6
10-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Wow what a great moment for Sundin. Congrats to him and here's to many more to come.

gagne, Stajan HAS been money and if him and Steen can keep contributing like this the Leafs have a very bright future, both this season and for many seasons to come.

phaneuf6
10-11-2007, 08:54 PM
OK, right when I post Gamache snips top cheese and Stajan gets another apple. Wow.

Hamsterkill
10-11-2007, 09:09 PM
I actually don't have a problem with most leaf fans. I even posed for a picture with a couple attractive female ones when the leafs visited the pens last year, heheh.

tinkeysersoze
10-11-2007, 09:14 PM
Gamache had a hell of a game! I like :)

And Hamster, come on, we'd pose for a couple of hotties in Pittsburgh jerseys too :)

two24four
10-11-2007, 09:18 PM
Nice win tonight.

I like what Sundin said after the game tonight, he said even the team who wins the Stanley Cup this year will lose a few games like they did the other night, he's right.

Great game tonight, good bounce back game after a pretty shitty loss.

Monan
10-11-2007, 09:20 PM
good win tonight to your team fellas. nice way to bounce back.

Dubz
10-11-2007, 09:47 PM
I noticed the absence of Bates and Poni...Bates has not really been into it so far so's I can understand the switch...But Poni? Just curious if he was a healthy scratch tonite?

beely
10-11-2007, 09:56 PM
I noticed the absence of Bates and Poni...Bates has not really been into it so far so's I can understand the switch...But Poni? Just curious if he was a healthy scratch tonite?

he was helped off during practice....so, injured

two24four
10-11-2007, 09:57 PM

No Poni was hurt yesterday in practice, they are not sure yet how much time he will miss, I heard it may not be to long.

Also big Congrats tonight too Mats Sundin on becoming the all-time Leafs leader in both Goals and Pts on his goal he scored tonight, :bowdown:Sundin

tinkeysersoze
10-11-2007, 10:04 PM
How the hell do the Leafs lose a game 7-1, then come back with a 7-1 win (midway through third)...unbelievable.

On a side note, how good has Stajan been so far this year...money.

Can anyone say "WAKE UP CALL!!" lol.

Or maybe it's that the Canes are good and the Isles are.....well.....the Isles :)

Dubz
10-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Thanks guys

And a BIG hats off to Mats.....Loved his comments too. They dont lack leadership thats for certain.

tinkeysersoze
10-12-2007, 08:13 AM
Seems like the Canes have re-awakened for sure, giving Ottawa their first loss, they look good unfortunately....I know it's not exactly Leafs related, but they made us look bad :)

b_illin
10-12-2007, 08:38 AM
Why Poni didn't play;

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/NHL/article/265680

The Maple Leafs realized their effort Tuesday night against Carolina was so dismal they needed an intense practice yesterday to begin their atonement.
Unfortunately for Alex Ponikarovsky, the intensity level nearly left him with a serious knee injury.
The big winger crashed along the boards with another big winger – Chad Kilger – and Ponikarovsky got the worst of it.
"I thought something was wrong," said Ponikarovsky, who barely raised himself to his knees, cursed and smashed his helmet to the ice before limping off with help from the medical staff.
More than an hour after practice, long after the rest of the players had gone, Ponikarovsky emerged from treatments and said he hopes to play tonight when the Leafs face off against the Islanders at the Air Canada Centre.
"I feel okay, we'll see how it goes (today)," said Ponikarovsky, saying he twisted muscles between his knee and ankle on his left leg.
The Ponikarovsky-Kilger collision underlined how intense the practice was and how urgent the team's situation is even at this early juncture.

chgorman
10-12-2007, 09:36 AM
Can anyone say "WAKE UP CALL!!" lol.

Or maybe it's that the Canes are good and the Isles are.....well.....the Isles :)

Same Isles that are leading the Atlantic division! (albeit with a few more gp than anybody else).

I hear ya Tin, this is just my bass-ackwards way of giving the Leafs some credit. They played very well against (IMO) a surprisingly good Isles team. Not saying the Isles are great, but I definitely didn't expect them to come out of the gate this hot.

Another thing to consider... although the Leafs obviously played great, Dubie had a pretty dubious game. I imagine if Ricky D was in goal, it would've been a little closer. Maybe not, and regardless, they played a great game, so good for them (and all you Leaf fans), must be quite nice to see after the thrashing they took against CAR. Congrats to the Leafs and their fans!

tinkeysersoze
10-15-2007, 02:41 PM
Thx chgor! In all seriousness though, I give the Isles about a month's worth of success. Ricky D is their best player for sure, and the free agent line has looked good so far, but I really don't feel they are going to remain a playoff team year-round, but the Canes on the other hand.....they are so fast it was dizzying to watch! Just my opinion, perhaps biased against the Isles, but there it is :)

vinzanity
10-15-2007, 03:51 PM
Leafs gonna win tonight, baby! No offence to VETO, but the team seems to play better with Razor as the last line of defense.

narduch
10-15-2007, 03:55 PM
Weird fact: Toronto will be facing a back up goalie for the 3rd straight game. :p

phaneuf6
10-15-2007, 06:27 PM
Ice looks terrible in Buffalo. Raycroft is on fire so far....lets hope Blake starts getting going now.

phaneuf6
10-15-2007, 06:34 PM
<3 Gamache.

szuturon
10-15-2007, 06:51 PM
Weird fact: Toronto will be facing a back up goalie for the 3rd straight game. :p

We're bribing the opposing teams every night. ;)

"We'll give Mccabe more icetime if you start your backup goalie"

phaneuf6
10-15-2007, 07:46 PM

I'd rather see more starting goaltenders...

tfaz07
10-15-2007, 08:49 PM
LOL @ McCabe. That more ice time allowed him to put it in for the GWG

two24four
10-15-2007, 08:59 PM
Leafs played pretty well in this game, if you take away there play in there own end, if they did not suck so bad in there own end they win this game easy.

Poor Raycroft, stood on his fucking head all game and still get's the loss, this loss was not his fault at all, they really need to work on playing in there own end, what a joke it is.

They also said during the game tonight the reason Miller did not start was cause his 18 year old cousin who he was close with just died, they said Miller had a really busy day yesterday which is why they gave him the night off, good reason if you ask me, give him credit for just being dressed even.

tinkeysersoze
10-15-2007, 09:03 PM
sorry 24, I have to disagree. They did NOT play well. First off, what the hell was McCabe doing killing a penalty that close to the end of the game.....I was watching and made that comment about 24 seconds before the goal.

Secondly, TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE giveaways, one after the other.

Thirdly, how many times a game can you leave a guy standing completely alone in front of the goal???? Horrible.

The only good players tonight were Antropov, Kilger, and Raycroft. Speaking of Antropov, that was one of the horse-shittiest calls I've ever seen with under 2 minutes to go. Wrapped the overtime up for the Sabres, that's for sure.

And was it just me, or did it look like that last puck might not have even crossed the line? The replays weren't very good and I didn't get a good look, but I was too busy crying anyway :)

two24four
10-15-2007, 09:06 PM
sorry 24, I have to disagree. They did NOT play well. First off, what the hell was McCabe doing killing a penalty that close to the end of the game.....I was watching and made that comment about 24 seconds before the goal.

Secondly, TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE giveaways, one after the other.

Thirdly, how many times a game can you leave a guy standing completely alone in front of the goal???? Horrible.

The only good players tonight were Antropov, Kilger, and Raycroft. Speaking of Antropov, that was one of the horse-shittiest calls I've ever seen with under 2 minutes to go. Wrapped the overtime up for the Sabres, that's for sure.

And was it just me, or did it look like that last puck might not have even crossed the line? The replays weren't very good and I didn't get a good look, but I was too busy crying anyway :)

The looked pretty good for part of the game IMO, they played pretty well in the Sabres end, they never looked good in there own end at all, unless it was Raycroft, for the most part it was shit though.

I thought Stajan had a good game tonight as well as Pohl and Gamache to go along with the guys you named as well.

tfaz07
10-15-2007, 09:11 PM
That Antropov call was a little iffy for being so late in the game. But i give Raycroft a lot of credit for his good game. I was impressed, he clearly kept us in it

Andrew1125
10-15-2007, 09:16 PM
I'd argue that Gill actually pulled his weight tonight too. Kubina and McCabe were noticeably horrible, Sundin and Blake weren't very helpful in their own end either, and it only takes a couple of guys to ruin it for all of them. The Leafs actually had a lot of lucky breaks earlier (how many times did that puck hit the Leafs' posts?).

All in all, not a bad game. The defence was very bad, inexcusable. But in the other end they were doing everything right. Something seriously has to be done with McCabe. I say they should just try him out as a wing or something for the hell of it, let him play the point on the PP and give him no defensive responsibilities. Or better yet trade him if any team would go for him.

tfaz07
10-15-2007, 09:21 PM
LOL i can see it now:
Blake - Sundin - McCabe

I project 125 combined goals :D

two24four
10-15-2007, 09:21 PM
I'd argue that Gill actually pulled his weight tonight too. Kubina and McCabe were noticeably horrible, Sundin and Blake weren't very helpful in their own end either, and it only takes a couple of guys to ruin it for all of them. The Leafs actually had a lot of lucky breaks earlier (how many times did that puck hit the Leafs' posts?).

All in all, not a bad game. The defence was very bad, inexcusable. But in the other end they were doing everything right. Something seriously has to be done with McCabe. I say they should just try him out as a wing or something for the hell of it, let him play the point on the PP and give him no defensive responsibilities. Or better yet trade him if any team would go for him.

I have thought of that before, you never know, he might do good up on the wing, he's a big guy who could drive hard too the net, then they could bring up Harrison or someone from the farm to take his spot on D, and like you said, just move him back for the PP.

gagne21
10-15-2007, 09:26 PM
4 goals in 8:25 basically sums up this game. How the leafs manage to blow so many leads beats me.

tfaz07
10-15-2007, 09:27 PM
I don't understand how the leafs can be so bad in the 3rd period. Is it bad conditioning or do they just choke? It seems they lose the lead too much. That 5-4 loss to Buffalo last year still haunts me

Dubz
10-15-2007, 09:42 PM
Wow...I heard something to the fact that McCabe was whining about the BOO's. Then he shoots on Rayzor at the end of regulation and AGAIN with a tick on the clock for GWG?
Thats what it looked like to me. I'm sure Rayzor would like to "take him out for a beer".

I didnt see the puck in either Tink?...But of course you have to think they got it right being a point blank slapper and all

Dubz
10-15-2007, 09:48 PM

Wiseguy.....Do tell;)

tinkeysersoze
10-16-2007, 08:05 AM
Wow...I heard something to the fact that McCabe was whining about the BOO's. Then he shoots on Rayzor at the end of regulation and AGAIN with a tick on the clock for GWG?
Thats what it looked like to me. I'm sure Rayzor would like to "take him out for a beer".

I didnt see the puck in either Tink?...But of course you have to think they got it right being a point blank slapper and all

Yeah, I saw McCabe shoot on him twice last night too, one at the end of reg, and then the game winner.

And as for whoever said to trade him, he has a no trade clause.......I say send him to the freaking marlies until he learns how to defend. Carlo will be back soon, and Harrison will do better than McCabe, hell, so could Belak.

narduch
10-16-2007, 08:10 AM
The Leafs can't even send McCabe to the minors. The genious JFJ gave him a 'no movement' clause, meaning he's in the NHL for good.

szuturon
10-16-2007, 08:34 AM
Well if I was right about these bribings then Buffalo was paid off well with Mccabe's game losing goal.

fuji9991
10-16-2007, 11:05 AM
Put MacCabe in goal for a game so he gets a clue why defense is important.

two24four
10-16-2007, 11:51 AM
The Leafs can't even send McCabe to the minors. The genious JFJ gave him a 'no movement' clause, meaning he's in the NHL for good.

This is true, they cant trade him or send him down, they are stuck with him.

One guy they can send down to the minors or trade is Kubina, sometimes he can look just as bad as McCabe in his own end, Bill Watters has been saying for about a year now that they need to send Kubina down too open up some Cap room.

Now I'm not saying Kubina is always as bad as McCabe, just sometimes, we need more shut down D-Man right now.

Hamsterkill
10-16-2007, 12:01 PM
I bet the leafs wish they had Markov about now.

two24four
10-16-2007, 12:06 PM
I bet the leafs wish they had Markov about now.

Jason Smith more for me, man what a bad trade that was.

WinnipegWingnut
10-16-2007, 12:22 PM
How many more shitty investments does JF Jr have to make before they fire this guy??? Kubina... bust, McCabe.... bust, Toskala to date..... bust, Raycroft... bust.

Just to clarify, when I say bust it doesn't mean they are shit, just that they aren't earning the dollar they signed for.

fuji9991
10-16-2007, 12:33 PM
How many more shitty investments does JF Jr have to make before they fire this guy??? Kubina... bust, McCabe.... bust, Toskala to date..... bust, Raycroft... bust.

Just to clarify, when I say bust it doesn't mean they are shit, just that they aren't earning the dollar they signed for.

Raycroft and Toskala are not bust. You'd need Luongo in there to win with this defense.

narduch
10-16-2007, 12:39 PM
This is true, they cant trade him or send him down, they are stuck with him.

One guy they can send down to the minors or trade is Kubina, sometimes he can look just as bad as McCabe in his own end, Bill Watters has been saying for about a year now that they need to send Kubina down too open up some Cap room.

Now I'm not saying Kubina is always as bad as McCabe, just sometimes, we need more shut down D-Man right now.

As a Leaf fan, sometimes its hard to watch when Kubina is on the ice. The weird thing was that Maurice was punishing McCabe's bad play by utilizing Kubina on the power play.

Its going to be a long year.

b_illin
10-16-2007, 01:22 PM
I have said it before and I will say it again, Kubina is a solid player and if McCabe were gone, he would look much better and his salary wouldn't seem so high (although he shouldn't have gotten anymore than the $4.25mm that Kaberle got).

McCabe is the problem. Get rid of him, slide Harrison or Kronwall in as defensive dmen and I think we'd be much better.

two24four
10-16-2007, 02:10 PM
Raycroft and Toskala are not bust. You'd need Luongo in there to win with this defense.

I agree Raycroft is not a bust, and it's WAY to early to say Toskala is, I dont think he will be, it's deff not there fault most of the time.

The goalie's are not the prob on this team, it's the way the rest of the team plays in front of them that's the prob.

projectreturns
10-16-2007, 02:19 PM
Toronto is home of the FA sleeper for fantasy circles. How can they keep this up?

Antropov, Stajan, Gamache. Who is going to stick and become a star?

Mystical112
10-18-2007, 06:58 AM
Toronto has been horrible on defence always...
that's why our goalies shine or are hung out to dry... the latter is more often...
i hope they can pull it together...
________
KTM 450EXC (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/KTM_450EXC)

tinkeysersoze
10-18-2007, 08:23 AM
Toronto is home of the FA sleeper for fantasy circles. How can they keep this up?

Antropov, Stajan, Gamache. Who is going to stick and become a star?

I can tell you right now that Antropov and Stajan aren't going anywhere, and so far Gamache has looked good, but he's been filling in for Ponikarovsky. Antropov has been getting better every year, I would look to him to keep doing well........until he gets injured. The guy is made of glass.

I would LOVE it if Stajan could keep this pace up, he's our penalty killer and right now lighting it up too, you would love to have him on your real team, trust me.

Kubina was a mistake from the beginning, but what can we do? No one will take a $5 million defenseman who is underperforming, and nobody in the farm is any better.....

And Toskala is certainly NOT a bust. He has actually played really well, but even Brodeur would have let in a majority of the goals that have been scored against Toskala.

narduch
10-18-2007, 11:57 AM

Vokoun is hurt. Toronto will be facing a back up for the 4th straight game tonight.

two24four
10-18-2007, 12:06 PM
Stajan has always had it in him to put up some good numbers, when he was a Jr in Belleville he was always near the top of the league in Pts, but when he came to Toronto they did not have room for him in there top 6, or sometimes even top 9 forwards so he became more of a two way player, well now he has the chance to put up some good numbers in the NHL and is doing so.

two24four
10-18-2007, 12:14 PM
Vokoun is hurt. Toronto will be facing a back up for the 4th straight game tonight.

FLA better hope he's not out for long, I watched the game they played vs the Habs the other night and if not for Vokoun they dont have a chance to come back and win that game like they did.

b_illin
10-18-2007, 12:49 PM
Antropov, while still injury prone, has bulked up a lot over the last couple years which should help be more durable. You never know with that guy, but I like him and support him...I just wish he'd park it in front the target more often.

tinkeysersoze
10-19-2007, 04:10 PM
More importantly, Antropov is taking a lot less of those "hooking" calls in the opponents' zone. He's still getting PIM's, but they seem a lot less stupid. The Leafs as a whole are still taking way too many penalties, especially hooking.....

two24four
10-19-2007, 05:21 PM
More importantly, Antropov is taking a lot less of those "hooking" calls in the opponents' zone. He's still getting PIM's, but they seem a lot less stupid. The Leafs as a whole are still taking way too many penalties, especially hooking.....

He's also putting that big frame of his too more use now.

fuji9991
10-19-2007, 06:11 PM
I'll probably always be hard on Antripov becasue the majority of the time I've watched him he just seemed to struggle to do anything good. But he really is having a great start and is being a big part of any success the team is having. I hope it continues, aside from Sundin & Wellwood there hasn't really been a Toronto forward I really enjoy watching. I'll be watching Antripov tomorrow and hoping for another big game.

I really like Toronto this year. Sundin always, Wellwood back soon enough, Kaberle always, Toskala, Blakes battle with cancer, seeing if their own zone coverage improves. There is a lot going on.

tinkeysersoze
10-20-2007, 01:31 PM
In Antropov's defense, this isn't exclusive to this year. He missed like half the season last year and still put up 18 goals. He has demonstrated a good touch for the last two years, but his injuries bring his numbers down. My biggest complaint with the guy was the stupid penalties, so I'm loving the new Antropov, and let's hope the new size helps him stay healthy!

Dubz
10-20-2007, 01:45 PM
Weird......The Leafs to face 5th back-up in a row?
Maybe this is why Antropov is lighting it up :D I'm joking of course...

boredguy
10-21-2007, 12:01 AM
Ugh, Leafs just suck this year. They need to stop getting the lead before the 3rd period so they have a chance to win. :\

tinkeysersoze
10-22-2007, 03:53 PM
We just need to petition the NHL to make all games only 2 periods long :)

phaneuf6
10-22-2007, 08:49 PM
Yay Tucker is out. Useless waste of cap money.

b_illin
10-23-2007, 11:06 AM
Yay Tucker is out. Useless waste of cap money.

This comment seems a little bit rash. Tucker shouldn't be on the 3rd line and I am sure when he is back, he will better than he has been so far.

projectreturns
10-23-2007, 11:26 AM
So is Stajan a better "real life" player than wellwood then? I just wonder how he will do with Wellwood around.

two24four
10-23-2007, 11:38 AM
I think once Wellwood is back he will see more ice time, Wellwood is a playmaker they need out there right now, Wellwood is one of those guys who could stick handle in a phone booth.

pearljam
10-23-2007, 07:46 PM
Hal Gill scores?... a SHG? what just happend in the ATL game? Gill is playing the PK and being more than just effective... if Kubina and McCabe could learn to play like that then maybe we'd be in business.

phaneuf6
10-23-2007, 08:16 PM
Hal Gill scores?... a SHG? what just happend in the ATL game? Gill is playing the PK and being more than just effective... if Kubina and McCabe could learn to play like that then maybe we'd be in business.
That wasn't SH..? Weak effort at the save by Hedberg.

Tucker is a waste of the 3 million he's being paid. You could get 2 or 3 solid younger players in for that much.

tinkeysersoze
10-24-2007, 09:15 AM
So is Stajan a better "real life" player than wellwood then? I just wonder how he will do with Wellwood around.

Wellwood will definately centre the second line when he returns. Stajan may even be doing really well and may get a couple of looks, but my money is on Wellwood centring the second line. Stajan will see less ice time, but it doesn't mean he still hasn't improved compared to last year. I think his production drops when Wellwood returns for sure, but he has improved, so someone to keep an eye on.

nyrblue2
10-24-2007, 10:22 AM
Another high-scoring game with the Leafs. How did Toskala play? More of the same - good outing, but no D-help?

two24four
10-24-2007, 12:17 PM
Another high-scoring game with the Leafs. How did Toskala play? More of the same - good outing, but no D-help?

Toskala was a great in net, if not for him ATL could have won 7-4 or something like that, he robbed Hossa with a quick glove save, which looked like a sure goal.

two24four
10-24-2007, 02:52 PM
They are saying McCabe is probable for tomorrow's game vs the Pens, they have called up Kronwall just in case McCabe cant go, I see they have also called up Jiri Tlusty at forward, I think Tlusty is good enough to be on the team now, kid is fast and has tons of skill.

McKinley
10-25-2007, 09:45 AM
Anybody expecting the Leafs to be murdered tonight? Its going to be Fleury in net tonight, no backup that we can easily score on.

Will be nice to see Tlusty in the lineup and I hope McCabe sites and Kronwall gets a shot at it, we can't have McCabe taking stupid penalties of hooking since he can't skate with the youngin's.

nyrblue2
10-25-2007, 11:19 AM
Who took Tucker's spot on the PP when he got hurt?

I would love for Toronto to light up Pit tonight...

eykwingnut
10-25-2007, 02:43 PM
Anybody expecting the Leafs to be murdered tonight? Its going to be Fleury in net tonight, no backup that we can easily score on.

Will be nice to see Tlusty in the lineup and I hope McCabe sites and Kronwall gets a shot at it, we can't have McCabe taking stupid penalties of hooking since he can't skate with the youngin's.
leafs are screwed tonight, their d is just too damn slow. especially if pitt goes with that recchi - crosby - malkin line they are talking about... look out.

that being said, the leafs are one of my favorite teams to watch. i especially like watching tucker attempt to check ppl and then fall on his ass.

two24four
10-25-2007, 09:14 PM
leafs are screwed tonight, their d is just too damn slow. especially if pitt goes with that recchi - crosby - malkin line they are talking about... look out.

that being said, the leafs are one of my favorite teams to watch. i especially like watching tucker attempt to check ppl and then fall on his ass.

Good Call ;)

Great game by the Leafs tonight, Tlusty looks awesome, he was all over the place tonight, he's fast, always making hits, and he's young, he's just what the Leafs need, two goals in his 1st ever NHL game as well, the 2nd one was a nice goal.

eykwingnut
10-25-2007, 09:15 PM
Good Call ;)

Great game by the Leafs tonight, Tlusty looks awesome, he was all over the place tonight, he's fast, always making hits, and he's young, he's just what the Leafs need, two goals in his 1st ever NHL game as well, the 2nd one was a nice goal.
hindsights 20/20 eh? ;)

gagne21
10-25-2007, 09:21 PM
now we just need to put back to back wins together...get the ball rolling

Dubz
10-25-2007, 10:03 PM
Well...I heard talk of firing PM on these boards and hushed my response till I seen this thread......Who the HELL you gonna get to take that job? Is my question...Naysayers need to pony up a response before calling for the old Guillotine:rolleyes:

Decent game all around......lets hope for a string of 'em Leafers:headbang:

phaneuf6
10-26-2007, 09:46 PM
Well...I heard talk of firing PM on these boards and hushed my response till I seen this thread......Who the HELL you gonna get to take that job? Is my question...Naysayers need to pony up a response before calling for the old Guillotine:rolleyes:

I think most Leaf fans actually like Maurice as coach. It's just one of those inevitabilities in professional sports; when the team is losing the coach is gone.

Nice game last night, especially like Tlusty. I was a big fan of his throughout the preseason and thought him and Gamache deserved to make the opening game roster. Now they're both up and playing really well.

Dubz
10-26-2007, 10:00 PM

OK

two24four
10-26-2007, 11:12 PM
I think most Leaf fans actually like Maurice as coach. It's just one of those inevitabilities in professional sports; when the team is losing the coach is gone.

Nice game last night, especially like Tlusty. I was a big fan of his throughout the preseason and thought him and Gamache deserved to make the opening game roster. Now they're both up and playing really well.

Yeah I also thought both Tlusty and Gamache should have made it right out of camp, both had really good camps.

Monan
10-27-2007, 01:52 PM

Weren't the leafs org talking to Muckler for awhile? What about Quinn as GM?

phaneuf6
10-27-2007, 03:09 PM
Weren't the leafs org talking to Muckler for awhile? What about Quinn as GM?
They were as an advisor to JFJ. And with regard to Quinn...No.

boredguy
10-27-2007, 07:24 PM
Man Steen would be so great if all of his shots didn't miss the net.

Also Bob Cole needs to retire.

nyrblue2
10-29-2007, 07:27 PM
Geez, 4 goals in the 1st period. What happened this time? Regression from Toskala? Another poor defensive showing?

phaneuf6
10-29-2007, 08:30 PM
Geez, 4 goals in the 1st period. What happened this time? Regression from Toskala? Another poor defensive showing?

Everything was bad. No pressure from the forwards, poor defensive zone coverage, and just some bad luck all mixed together.

fuji9991
10-29-2007, 08:54 PM
Wow how many more of these ass poundings are there going to be before something changes?

gagne21
10-29-2007, 11:59 PM
I went to the game tonight and my god was it ugly. The leafs honestly look like a minor hockey team. They're so damn unorganized in their own zone it's actually ridiculous.

On a side note, AO and Kozlov seem to be playing pretty well together. This was the first washington game I've really followed and can see why Kozlov is with AO. I also wasn't too impressed with Nicklas Backstrom, didn't really semm to create many chances out there.

Hamsterkill
10-30-2007, 08:17 AM
Man, just watching the boxscore I could tell the game was pretty dismal for you guys...

And you can't even blame McCabe this time... He was scratched, wasn't he?

tinkeysersoze
10-30-2007, 08:22 AM
Well, McCabe has not been the sole problem for the team. Anyone who put it all on his shoulders hasn't been watching the games. He's been shaky, but so has the rest of the team.

BAD giveaways, and poor coverage of the players in front of the net have really hurt the Leafs this season so far.

chgorman
10-30-2007, 10:05 AM
I think Tosakala has singlehandedly lost me my matchup for this week with that beautiful 17+ GAA he put up last night.

two24four
10-30-2007, 11:46 AM
I think Tosakala has singlehandedly lost me my matchup for this week with that beautiful 17+ GAA he put up last night.

It was not his fault at all.

chgorman
10-30-2007, 01:53 PM

That's good, 'cuz I was pretty worried. I didn't watch the game, just checked my stats around 11:30 last night and my eyeballs nearly popped out after I saw the 17+ GAA and 0.600 sv%. I'm guessing the D in ffront of him was pretty horrid?

I know this isn't the proper thread, and I'm not bashing, just comiserating with you guys - really too bad the D can't play better, as the offence is obviously there, and Tosk is capable of taking them where they want to go, but he can't do it by himself. For you guys and the sake of my fantasy team, I really hope they can get their D issues sorted out, as they're looking pretty scary bad right now it seems.

If they could just play all their games away from the ACC, they'd probably be fine, lol.

two24four
10-30-2007, 01:59 PM
That's good, 'cuz I was pretty worried. I didn't watch the game, just checked my stats around 11:30 last night and my eyeballs nearly popped out after I saw the 17+ GAA and 0.600 sv%. I'm guessing the D in ffront of him was pretty horrid?

I know this isn't the proper thread, and I'm not bashing, just comiserating with you guys - really too bad the D can't play better, as the offence is obviously there, and Tosk is capable of taking them where they want to go, but he can't do it by himself. For you guys and the sake of my fantasy team, I really hope they can get their D issues sorted out, as they're looking pretty scary bad right now it seems.

If they could just play all their games away from the ACC, they'd probably be fine, lol.

Yeah with the offence the Leafs have, and if they could fix there probs on D, they would be a very, very tough team to beat, cause like you said Toskala with a good D in front of him could take this team far, we need one or two shut down d-man like a Whitt or Willie Mitchell type player.

fuji9991
10-30-2007, 02:09 PM
Seems like shut down D would be easier to find and cheaper then offensive D. I mean even if Kaberle needed to be moved to make it happen it should be explored. I am just shocked beyond recognision that the season can be allowed to go on like this. They gotta have a couple of shutdown D to bring up from the farm clubs before playoff hopes exit the picture.

gagne21
10-30-2007, 02:11 PM
While I agree all the goals scored on him werent his fault, the 3rd and 4th goals (Ovechkin and Schultz) goals should have been stopped.

two24four
10-30-2007, 02:11 PM
Seems like shut down D would be easier to find and cheaper then offensive D. I mean even if Kaberle needed to be moved to make it happen it should be explored. I am just shocked beyond recognision that the season can be allowed to go on like this. They gotta have a couple of shutdown D to bring up from the farm clubs before playoff hopes exit the picture.

No way would I be trading Kabby, he's who they need to build the defence around IMO.

gagne21
10-30-2007, 02:12 PM
No way would I be trading Kabby, he's who they need to build the defence around IMO.
forsure, Kabby is the only reliable one back there.

WinnipegWingnut
10-30-2007, 02:17 PM
I think it's time the Leafs trade Sundin to Detroit for some youth, and fire JF Jr... do they really need to miss the playoffs again for the team to finally realize this guy is not a good GM???

two24four
10-30-2007, 02:30 PM
I think it's time the Leafs trade Sundin to Detroit for some youth, and fire JF Jr... do they really need to miss the playoffs again for the team to finally realize this guy is not a good GM???

Sundin wont be going anywhere anytime soon, he wants to try and finish is career as a Leaf, I would re-look at him around the trade deadline time, and see where they are then, but right now I would not be trading him, he's off to a good start, I'm telling you, with a couple of good shut down D-man, and the Leafs could do some damage this season.

At the trade deadline if the Leafs are not in the playoff picture then maybe they should trade him for some good young prospects and some picks, then they could re-sign him after the season, cause he just signed a one year deal for this season, so he would be a UFA after the season, which would work out great for the Leafs.

Funny you say trade him too DET :lol:

b_illin
10-30-2007, 03:27 PM
What reaally pissed me off about last nights game, besides the fact they sucked ass, was how the fans were all over Raycroft. The dude comes in to relieve Toskala in the 1st after Vesa let in 4 goals. So, Raycroft lets in 2 by the mid-3rd period (one of which was deflected by his own defensemen aka not his fault) and the donkeys at the ACC are cheering him sarcastically every time he made a save. It wasn't his fault AT ALL as it was 4-1 by the time he came in, but the fans still gave him shit. I understand the soft goals he lets in, etc. are frustrating but berating the guy all the time, even when he has done nothing wrong, is just plain stupid (and disrespectful) - if they keep it up the guy is going to zero confidence left and his career would be over. I would rather try to get some value for him than have dumbass Leaf fans destroy him and his confidence because the team as a whole has sucked. Ridiculous!

Hamsterkill
10-30-2007, 04:02 PM
Was Belfour the last goalie than the Leafs did not ridicule at games?

tinkeysersoze
11-06-2007, 10:52 AM
So who are we demoting upon the return of Wellwood and addition of Bell? I'm guessing Gamache and Tlusty will go. Haven't seen much of Battaglia this season really. I hope Bell plays half-decent, he's a good player with a lot of shit going on upstairs right now, and I hope he gives it everything like Tlusty was.

two24four
11-06-2007, 01:00 PM
So who are we demoting upon the return of Wellwood and addition of Bell? I'm guessing Gamache and Tlusty will go. Haven't seen much of Battaglia this season really. I hope Bell plays half-decent, he's a good player with a lot of shit going on upstairs right now, and I hope he gives it everything like Tlusty was.

They just said on the Fan 590 that Gamache and Belak will be sitting tonight for Bell and Wellwood, they also said Bell and Wellwood will be on the same line to start tonight with Pohl.

I'm looking forward to having both these guys back tonight, Wellwood when healthy is a great playmaker who makes things happen almost every shift he's on the ice, and Bell, if he can put all the shit he's gone through behide him I think he can start over new here and maybe get back to his old ways of scoring lots of goals and droping the mitts from time to time, both should help this team out alittle more in there own playing styles.

jelmhirst12
11-06-2007, 06:47 PM
I think it is REDICULOUS that Antropov is playing with Kilger and Deveraux. Antropov earlier in the season was a top 3-5 scorer in the league (rough estimate) and was LIGHTING IT UP! I'm not saying Antropov is an incredible player, but when a player is hot then put him with someone who isn't a checker. Why is he on the checking line?

The thing that really got me was when Maurice did not change the lines up in the Caps 6-1 thumping of the leafs. He changed the goalie, but left the top line of Blake-Sundin-Poni alone. (I know Poni scored) but change the F***ing line!

I'm sure you have all heard the phrase "If it aint broken, don't fix it." The Sens earlier tried to move Alfie to the second line, and then quickly realized that they were lighting it up as a BIG 3 Unit on the top line and were quickly re-united. Well something in Toronto that game was broken (and will continuosly be broken) and must be fixed. I'm not saying to go make a trade right now for a new forward, but rather put a player who is playing like an ALL STAR (ya I said it) in Nick Antropov on the top line. It is rediculous!

There is my Leafs chirp.

two24four
11-06-2007, 07:01 PM
I think it is REDICULOUS that Antropov is playing with Kilger and Deveraux. Antropov earlier in the season was a top 3-5 scorer in the league (rough estimate) and was LIGHTING IT UP! I'm not saying Antropov is an incredible player, but when a player is hot then put him with someone who isn't a checker. Why is he on the checking line?

The thing that really got me was when Maurice did not change the lines up in the Caps 6-1 thumping of the leafs. He changed the goalie, but left the top line of Blake-Sundin-Poni alone. (I know Poni scored) but change the F***ing line!

I'm sure you have all heard the phrase "If it aint broken, don't fix it." The Sens earlier tried to move Alfie to the second line, and then quickly realized that they were lighting it up as a BIG 3 Unit on the top line and were quickly re-united. Well something in Toronto that game was broken (and will continuosly be broken) and must be fixed. I'm not saying to go make a trade right now for a new forward, but rather put a player who is playing like an ALL STAR (ya I said it) in Nick Antropov on the top line. It is rediculous!

There is my Leafs chirp.

In short, main reason Antropov is not playing on the top line is because he seems to play better while at centre, and they wont be moving Sundin from that spot on the top line, plus Wellwood was out so they needed a good 2nd line centre and he was playing great while doing it.

Also booo 67's ;):D sorry just had too.

jelmhirst12
11-06-2007, 07:33 PM
In short, main reason Antropov is not playing on the top line is because he seems to play better while at centre, and they wont be moving Sundin from that spot on the top line, plus Wellwood was out so they needed a good 2nd line centre and he was playing great while doing it.

Also booo 67's ;):D sorry just had too.

lol one of my best friends just got drafted this year (Ya I'm 16 lol). And he is down in Ottawa playing for them this year, so I thought I'd show some support I'm a Sens AND Leafs fan (Originally from near Ottawa, but now in Toronto, with Leafs seasons tickets lol):lol:

b_illin
11-07-2007, 09:52 AM
I should first state that I like Maurice - he seems like a great dude, etc. That said, I am seriously questioning whether the team responds to him. He flipped out when they pulled Toskala and they played better for a couple of minutes, then the same old shit. I am not jumping to rash decisions or conclusions, I just have a feeling.

PS: I am not blaming Paul, I just question if he is the right guy to coach this team.

chgorman
11-07-2007, 10:08 AM
I should first state that I like Maurice - he seems like a great dude, etc. That said, I am seriously questioning whether the team responds to him. He flipped out when they pulled Toskala and they played better for a couple of minutes, then the same old shit. I am not jumping to rash decisions or conclusions, I just have a feeling.

PS: I am not blaming Paul, I just question if he is the right guy to coach this team.

Is there a 'right' guy to coach this team though? the coach (whomever it may be now or in the future) can't play D for them. No matter what he says to them, the players are the ones that still need to go out and actually do it. Until managment addresses the horrid D situation in T.O., I don't think you cna really start blaming the coach... yet.

narduch
11-07-2007, 10:29 AM
I'm not going to get worked up over another loss to Ottawa.

If Toronto wants to make the playoffs, they are going to have to beat the Montreal, NYI, Tampa, NJ type teams.

two24four
11-07-2007, 01:42 PM
I think if this team does make make the playoffs this season, then they need to re-think that Scotty Bowman plan again, hire him and let him do what ever the f*ck he wants, on his own, like he wanted too back in the summer, when he said if he got the job no ones job would be safe.

b_illin
11-07-2007, 02:10 PM
I think if this team does make make the playoffs this season, then they need to re-think that Scotty Bowman plan again, hire him and let him do what ever the f*ck he wants, on his own, like he wanted too back in the summer, when he said if he got the job no ones job would be safe.

Couldn't agree more, too bad all that $$$, power and ego get in the way.

jelmhirst12
11-07-2007, 08:08 PM
I'm not going to get worked up over another loss to Ottawa.

If Toronto wants to make the playoffs, they are going to have to beat the Montreal, NYI, Tampa, NJ type teams.

Agreed. Be satisfied with the 5-1 loss. It's the 7-1 loss to WASHINGTON that KILLS!

I don't think ANY coach will be the 'right' coach in Toronto media. The media will swarm and eat any coach alive on the bench. Best bet is getting Scotty Bowman, but no way that will happen. Perhaps they should just not put a coach on the ice at all, and play pond-style hockey, as that is what it appears they are doing a lot. :lol: (That SHG was BRUTAL!)

two24four
11-09-2007, 11:48 PM
Great game by the hole team tonight, but Razor was the man tonight, if he could play like this all the time, we would be set.

narduch
11-09-2007, 11:50 PM
This team is so frustrating. They really are a Jekyll and Hyde team. They either play really well or really crappy. There's no in between.

That being said, the Sabres look horrible. If this keeps up, they will be life and death to make the playoffs. More so than the Leafs.

two24four
11-09-2007, 11:58 PM
Before the season got going, I said Buffalo would finish 7th, I did not think they would be the same team like the last few seasons.

Buffalo87
11-10-2007, 10:57 AM
I feel your pain being a Sabres fan. You never know what team is going to show up. Unfortunately, the lack-luster, lazy, tired, I-don't-give-a-fuck Sabres team has showed up for all but 6 or 7 periods all season (one being the 1st period last night). I'm pretty confident they'll still be OK, other than last season, every single year they start out slow and really turn it on after the all-star break. Two guys they expected to be PPG have been 2 of their worst players (Vanek and Afinogenov), they've had a ton of injuries on that back end (Kalinin, Spacek, Numminen, and now Pratt) so I'm pretty confident that they can still turn it around.

Either way, good game last night, Raycroft was amazing, can't wait to see you guys 6 more times this year.

b_illin
11-10-2007, 02:08 PM
Razor was reallt good, but he was also really lucky. Every game, at least a few times he is completely lost and has no idea where the puck is....if he's lucky, it's under him or a dman sees it and shoots it away.

Hopefully that performance will allow us to trade him. I'm ready for a trade so we can hopefully consolidate 1 fwd, 1 dman & 1 goalie into just one player. We have too many players on the team....make some trade JFJ!

Dubz
11-10-2007, 07:18 PM
Tucker and Avery
They tussled during the Pre-game skate......Of course Avery crossed the line. Cherry said had he done that to his old Bruins Avery would be out for 6 months:lol:
They're gonna scrap tonite:muahaha:

two24four
11-11-2007, 10:16 AM
What's all this Glen Healey as the next Leafs GM talk about :wtf:

In case you missed it, during the 2nd INT on the Hot Stove, they talked about how Healey could be the Leafs next GM, and that he was in the running when they hired JFJ.

But who knows I guess, from what they say, he also wants to come in and clean house.

narduch
11-11-2007, 11:08 AM
What's all this Glen Healey as the next Leafs GM talk about :wtf:

In case you missed it, during the 2nd INT on the Hot Stove, they talked about how Healey could be the Leafs next GM, and that he was in the running when they hired JFJ.

But who knows I guess, from what they say, he also wants to come in and clean house.

I think Al Strachan is just old and senile.

With all the pressure the Leafs/MLSE have been getting in the media recently, its almost a guarantee that the next GM will be someone with experience and full power.

tinkeysersoze
11-13-2007, 08:23 PM
I hate Healey, let's hope this doesn't happen, and I'm confident it won't. As they said, the last thing we need right now is another inexperienced GM........and one that is so player-minded his head was up his ass during the entire lockout......

b_illin
11-17-2007, 10:47 PM
Boo-ya!! Toronto 3, Ottawa 0 -- about f'ing time!

phaneuf6
11-17-2007, 10:57 PM
Boo-ya!! Toronto 3, Ottawa 0 -- about f'ing time!
What a game. Everyone pulled together and it was a solid performance. They totally shut down Ottawa's offense. Toskala was outstanding and I thought Blake, although held off the score sheet, played really well. Let's hope for more of this in the next few months.

nyrblue2
11-17-2007, 11:05 PM
Thank you Toskala. I've been waiting...

fuji9991
11-18-2007, 12:16 AM
Holly cow, that was a great show by Toronto. they really dug along the boards and were skating with purpose. Nice own zone coverage they gave Ottawa no time to set up or break in. The few shots ottawa got late Toskala smothered. I hope we get to see some more of that.

vinzanity
11-18-2007, 12:42 AM
We were a lot better in our own zone, did a good job staying out of the box, and we played physical and got under their skin, which is exactly how you have to play if you want to beat a team of this calibur. Way to go, boys! I just hope we can bring the same energy Tuesday against the Bruins.

double_dion_3
11-18-2007, 12:56 PM
great win, i thought mccabe played unreal.... best defensively in years

two24four
11-18-2007, 01:27 PM
Yeah great win last night by the boys, lets hope they can now carry that over and keep playing like that.

Nice game by McCabe last night as well, hope he can play like that every night.

Finally nice too see Ottawa upset after a game in Toronto, let it be noted that this was Ottawa's 1st road loss of the season ;):D

double_dion_3
11-19-2007, 07:49 PM
just curious what you fellow leafers think. What do you think the lines should be? i think that tucker and bell arent getting enough ice time.

how about: Poni-Sundin-Antropov
Blake-Wellwood-Tucker
Steen-Stajan-Bell
Kilger-Devereaux-Tlusty

Mccabe-Kaberle
Coliacovo-Kubina(when healthy again)
Gill-White

b_illin
11-20-2007, 11:15 AM
Is Coliacavo healthy? I don't think they want to move Antropov from Centre as he has been doing well, but that was a week or so ago and things may have changed. Also, Stajan, Steen & Devereaux have been clicking of late...

I thought about that exact Wellwood line last week, but upon reflection, I think there are too many similar players on that line. I do like Wellwood & Blake together though as Wellwood is a playmaker and Blake is a shooter - enough of Sundin & Blake! I wouldn't mind seeing Bell get a shot with Sundin as well, but there are simply too many players on our team...there has to be a trade. We have enough solid/avg. players that we should be able to consolidate a few into a better player...at least I hope so! (What teams need depth?)

WinnipegWingnut
11-20-2007, 11:17 AM
Put Tucker with Sundin! Get that chemistry going that they had before Tuckers injury last year!

nyrblue2
11-20-2007, 12:26 PM
just curious what you fellow leafers think. What do you think the lines should be? i think that tucker and bell arent getting enough ice time.

Blake-Wellwood-Tucker
Steen-Stajan-Bell
Kilger-Devereaux-Tlusty

Mccabe-Kaberle
Gill-White
Would that be the smallest line in the history of the NHL?

two24four
11-20-2007, 01:43 PM
Put Tucker with Sundin! Get that chemistry going that they had before Tuckers injury last year!

Tucker seems better with Wellwood though, he takes those sweet passes from Welly, and bangs them home.

Blake and Tucker are just what Welly needs on his wings, two guys who shoot all the time, cause Welly is a great passer and set up guy, one of the best when he's healthy, he will find you if your open.

double_dion_3
11-20-2007, 03:08 PM
Would that be the smallest line in the history of the NHL?

haha well tucker hits everything in sight and there is alot of speed there and i think they would have good chemistry, and the leafs have the biggest line in hockey so it balances out:p

phaneuf6
11-20-2007, 09:37 PM
Terrible meltdown tonight. Rask looked good though...that trade is looking pretty awful right now...

And I liked the lines tonight.

fuji9991
11-20-2007, 10:51 PM
3 unanswered goals then an empty net goal, not a great night. I was really hoping they could build off of that Ottawa defeat. They played the first half great but then meltdown. I really like the way they are playing though they are looking much better in terms of an all around game, and this is a McCabe I've never seen before he is making more than a few very key defensive plays. Gill scares me every time he is near the puck.

tinkeysersoze
11-23-2007, 11:24 AM

Blake-Wellwood-Tucker
Steen-Stajan-Bell
Kilger-Devereaux-Tlusty

Mccabe-Kaberle
Gill-White

These are the lines I've been wishing for ALL SEASON. I can't believe that poni-sundin-antropov got separated PERIOD. They were dominant last year, Maurice put them together in one game this season and they scored two goals......then were never seen together again. It's frustrating. Clearly Blake does NOT have chemistry with Sundin whatsoever, in fact, I might even put him on the checking line he is so impotent offensively right now. Maybe not his fault, but reputation alone and a good season in a contract year should not guarantee you top line status. That's for people who produce.

As for the size of Blake/Wellwood/Tucker, WHO CARES??? Tucker and Blake both play physical against guys bigger than them all the time, and Wellwood will just skate around the bigger guys. Plus, the other teams will have to put their big guys out against Poni-Sundin-Antropov, opening up room for the small second line.

And why is Maurice so reluctant to leave Kaberle and McCabe together??? The last season where these two were linemates, they were lighting it up and Kaberle's excellent defense makes up for McCabe's blunders. These two should NEVER ever be separated in my books.

tinkeysersoze
11-23-2007, 11:30 AM
Is Coliacavo healthy? I don't think they want to move Antropov from Centre as he has been doing well, but that was a week or so ago and things may have changed. Also, Stajan, Steen & Devereaux have been clicking of late...

I thought about that exact Wellwood line last week, but upon reflection, I think there are too many similar players on that line. I do like Wellwood & Blake together though as Wellwood is a playmaker and Blake is a shooter - enough of Sundin & Blake! I wouldn't mind seeing Bell get a shot with Sundin as well, but there are simply too many players on our team...there has to be a trade. We have enough solid/avg. players that we should be able to consolidate a few into a better player...at least I hope so! (What teams need depth?)

Unfortunately, too many Leaf nation fans have the mistaken impression that 3 average players are somehow appealing to other teams in exchange for 1 good one. All the post-game talk shows with fans calling in saying, hey, let's trade Stajan, Devereaux and Tucker for Chris Pronger and stupid shit like that, it gets people riled into thinking all Leafs fans are morons. Teams simply don't give up good players for a conglomeration of unsuccessful mediocre guys, it ain't gonna happen. And I like Tucker, he would have value on other teams, but you're not going to get the type of player we need in a multi-player deal. The Leafs need scouting, plain and simple. Every successful team in the NHL in the last 10 years has had that young guy(or guys) come up through their farm team. Name me the last top 50 player to come out of the Leafs farm system........Antropov has only taken 8 seasons and inumerable injuries to finally have SOME impact.

b_illin
11-23-2007, 01:33 PM
Unfortunately, too many Leaf nation fans have the mistaken impression that 3 average players are somehow appealing to other teams in exchange for 1 good one. All the post-game talk shows with fans calling in saying, hey, let's trade Stajan, Devereaux and Tucker for Chris Pronger and stupid shit like that, it gets people riled into thinking all Leafs fans are morons. Teams simply don't give up good players for a conglomeration of unsuccessful mediocre guys, it ain't gonna happen. And I like Tucker, he would have value on other teams, but you're not going to get the type of player we need in a multi-player deal. The Leafs need scouting, plain and simple. Every successful team in the NHL in the last 10 years has had that young guy(or guys) come up through their farm team. Name me the last top 50 player to come out of the Leafs farm system........Antropov has only taken 8 seasons and inumerable injuries to finally have SOME impact.

I am not one of these guys. I have no delusions where we will get Hossa for a bunch of so-so players, but we can get picks/prospects, etc. I would think. My point was that we have too many players and we need to reduce that number - I think part of the problem this year is a guy plays one night, but not the next, then he's in again, but on a different line and so on. Choose 13-14 forwards, 7-8 Dmen or trade some away to get down to thise numbers.

PS: how about Belak + Pohl for Crosby? :lol:

two24four
11-23-2007, 01:45 PM
Yeah the Leafs call in show after every Leafs game can get to be a joke most times, I dont turn it on much anymore, some of the guys who call into it just have no clue what's going on what so ever.

tfaz07
11-24-2007, 07:14 PM

Blake-Wellwood-Tucker
Steen-Stajan-Bell
Kilger-Devereaux-Tlusty

Mccabe-Kaberle
Gill-White

Well your top 2 lines are together tonight. Maybe PM reads these boards lol

gagne21
11-24-2007, 07:28 PM
3-0 Phoenix 8 mins in.....nice.

b_illin
11-24-2007, 10:11 PM
What a fucking joke. Would someone in mgmt listen my repeated calls to DISMANTLE THIS TEAM AND START OVER! I bet they don't listen and make some stupid trade where send Pogge & this yrs 1st rounder for some stop-gag player. Fuck.

On a positive note, while Bell doesn't seem to be much good at fighting, nice to see someone on the team has a little heart besides Tucker!

gagne21
11-24-2007, 10:18 PM
I'm thinking if the Leafs don't turn it around within the next couple of weeks, you can kiss JFJ and Maurcie goodbye. Which is somewhat unfortunate because Maurice is a pretty good coach, they players all like him - he's just in a terrible situation, but something needs to be done. JFJ on the other hand is an ass-clown, and I think everyone would be glad to see him gone.

Dubz
11-24-2007, 10:53 PM
JFJ made great strides for the teams future....Blake, Tosky, Rayzor, Bell, Gomache, signed some long term contracts to Tucker, Kubina, Gill, Hmm... I think I'm forgetting a Dman here and sent the draft picks away for almost nothing......and dumped Rask.

Hey its all the coaches fault.....Maurice should be hung for not having a clue what to do with such honorable talent, drive, youth and enthusiasm ......yes

Even though I'm sure im missing a few of JFJ's brilliant antics.....I'll add in throwing chairs around the skybox as an encore

Im not pointing the finger here am I?

end rant:\

two24four
11-25-2007, 01:39 AM
After hearing what they had to say tonight during the 2nd INT of the Leafs game, it sounds like some change's could be coming real soon for the Leafs, sounds like JFJ's job could be on the line and he could be done as Leafs GM real soon, which is great news IMO.

phaneuf6
11-25-2007, 10:14 AM
After hearing what they had to say tonight during the 2nd INT of the Leafs game, it sounds like some change's could be coming real soon for the Leafs, sounds like JFJ's job could be on the line and he could be done as Leafs GM real soon, which is great news IMO.

I wish MLSE would just bring Scotty Bowman in and guarantee that they won't interfere. He said he'd come into the organization if they don't interfere with what he's trying to do.

two24four
11-25-2007, 12:07 PM
Right now the Leafs are 4th last in the entire NHL, call me crazy, but maybe that's a good thing, #1) hope that means JFJ is gone soon, and #2) I know it's still early, but that's a lottery pick for the draft, and the next two drafts are both going to be great drafts, they are saying two of the best drafts we have seen in a long time, getting a few good young skilled players is just what this team needs to build around, Sundin wont be around for ever, it would be great if they landed a player like Steven Stamkos in the next draft.

Maybe we need to end up like the Pens, or Hawks and get a few good draft picks to build off.

Another thing I would do, as much as I would not like seeing him go, I would try and trade Sundin at some point this season, to one of the top teams in the league while he's hot and try and get another 1st round pick back in the deal, so then we would have two this season for the next draft, as well as maybe another young player from that teams roster, maybe to the Ducks, they have the Oilers 1st pick which also should be a pretty high pick, then they can re-sign Sundin July 1st as he will be a UFA again.

I dont want to see them lose games, or see Sundin leave, but if it means turning this team around with good young prospects let's get at it.

b_illin
11-25-2007, 01:10 PM
Right now the Leafs are 4th last in the entire NHL, call me crazy, but maybe that's a good thing, #1) hope that means JFJ is gone soon, and #2) I know it's still early, but that's a lottery pick for the draft, and the next two drafts are both going to be great drafts, they are saying two of the best drafts we have seen in a long time, getting a few good young skilled players is just what this team needs to build around, Sundin wont be around for ever, it would be great if they landed a player like Steven Stamkos in the next draft.

Maybe we need to end up like the Pens, or Hawks and get a few good draft picks to build off.

Another thing I would do, as much as I would not like seeing him go, I would try and trade Sundin at some point this season, to one of the top teams in the league while he's hot and try and get another 1st round pick back in the deal, so then we would have two this season for the next draft, as well as maybe another young player from that teams roster, maybe to the Ducks, they have the Oilers 1st pick which also should be a pretty high pick, then they can re-sign Sundin July 1st as he will be a UFA again.

I dont want to see them lose games, or see Sundin leave, but if it means turning this team around with good young prospects let's get at it.

YES YES & YES to everything above. They should have done this last year! Anybody not named Tlusty or Kaberle (and maybe Antro..I can see him thriving as a top 3 guy on a young team) can be traded in my eyes - Steen, Stajan, Wellwood, etc....I don't fucking care if it means we get hot prospects or great picks back. I'd rather not deal those guys but none of them will be the cornerstone of this team, so I can live with dealing them if it means we do get a cornerstone. Trade Razor or Toskala too. Pogge should be ready for next season...give him 1-2 yrs with a young team to get the hang of the NHL, while in that time we can draft some top kids (with our picks which should be low as we've cleaned house + picks we get in return for those players we have traded) and hopefully be competitive (which we aren't now...even if we improve, this team will not win the Cup) in 2 yrs time. Who knows, maybe we may even be able to get Tavares by trading up.

Time for some change. The argument that the fans won't accept a rebuilding phase is bullshit as most of us are no all for it. Change needs to start at the very top by having ownership butt the fuck out of daily operations. Replace Peddie. Replace JFJ. Maybe keep Maurice as a young, bare-bones team is perfect for his style. Replace a lot of the players with young guys that are hungry. Enough of this shit!!!!!

Hawkeye
11-25-2007, 02:19 PM
Who knows, maybe we may even be able to get Tavares by trading up.

This is wishful thinking... do you think anyone who has a chance to land him would be willing to trade their chances for mediocre players?

two24four
11-25-2007, 02:57 PM
I think I would be keeping Wellwood and Steen, they are both two good young kids who should only get better with time, and Stajan is a good hockey play, but it seems they just want to play more in his own end, I think if he ever found himself on the top two lines that he would get some good Pts, but I would trade him before Welly and Steen.

Wellwood has the skills to be a 80-100 Pts guy in the NHL one day.

b_illin
11-25-2007, 03:03 PM
This is wishful thinking... do you think anyone who has a chance to land him would be willing to trade their chances for mediocre players?

Did I say we would trade mediocre players? WTF!! To clarify, I was suggesting that if the Leafs start to rebuild, they may very well suck balls and have a top 5 pick themselves which they could potentially use (along with other players/picks/prospects) to trade up for Tavares.

Thanks for the insight though Hawkeye, your positive comments are always so welcome in the Leaf section.

Edit: I underlined some words to be extra clear

b_illin
11-25-2007, 03:07 PM
I think I would be keeping Wellwood and Steen, they are both two good young kids who should only get better with time, and Stajan is a good hockey play, but it seems they just want to play more in his own end, I think if he ever found himself on the top two lines that he would get some good Pts, but I would trade him before Welly and Steen.

Wellwood has the skills to be a 80-100 Pts guy in the NHL one day.

Wellwood has the skills, but he lacks the heart in my eyes. He's a floater and until he plays 100% at both ends the whole game, I don't see him being a significant producer for the Leafs. (eg. Berezin got lots of pts but he was useless otherwise)

I just don't get good vibes from Wellwood and I imagine other teams may covet his skills...teams that can live with a floater who doesn't backcheck.

two24four
11-25-2007, 03:16 PM
Tavares getting drafted is still a ways down the road, as he cant be drafted untill 2009, they need to focus on this season, and the next draft coming up, like I said a player like Steven Stamkos, dont get me wrong, I would love to see JT play in Toronto, but lets get someone good from this next draft, then worry about the 2009 draft when it comes, then maybe see if we can land JT some how to go along with the player(s) from the 2008 draft, like I said before, something like the Hawks and Pens have been doing, lots of high 1st round picks, and lots of them.

b_illin
11-25-2007, 03:27 PM
Tavares getting drafted is still a ways down the road, as he cant be drafted untill 2009, they need to focus on this season, and the next draft coming up, like I said a player like Steven Stamkos, dont get me wrong, I would love to see JT play in Toronto, but lets get someone good from this next draft, then worry about the 2009 draft when it comes, then maybe see if we can land JT some how to go along with the player(s) from the 2008 draft, like I said before, something like the Hawks and Pens have been doing, lots of high 1st round picks, and lots of them.

I agree. I was just waxing hypothetically - I didn't think evryone would take that comment so literally! (can't a guy dream!)

Hawkeye
11-25-2007, 04:45 PM
Did I say we would trade mediocre players? WTF!! To clarify, I was suggesting that if the Leafs start to rebuild, they may very well suck balls and have a top 5 pick themselves which they could potentially use (along with other players/picks/prospects) to trade up for Tavares.

Thanks for the insight though Hawkeye, your positive comments are always so welcome in the Leaf section.

Ok I get the picture... didn't think you'd get offended by a little point of view that wasn't at all negative... but whatever. Make it what you want

chgorman
11-26-2007, 10:32 AM
Something for you Leafers to think about...

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/dreger/?id=223675

IMO it won't happen, but might give you guys some hope in regards to the JFJ retardedness.

WinnipegWingnut
11-26-2007, 10:35 AM

Do you honestly think that whatever team gets the first pick in 2009 will trade that pick????? Come on now, I don't think there was even a .0001% chance the Pens would have traded their 1st pick in the Crosby sweepstakes, and the same goes for Tavares.

b_illin
11-26-2007, 12:33 PM
http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Hockey/article/279807

WinnipegWingnut
11-26-2007, 12:58 PM
Stevie Y wont be coming to Toronto. Same with the Moose. Healy as a GM? Oh boy....

two24four
11-26-2007, 01:01 PM
Stevie Y wont be coming to Toronto. Same with the Moose. Healy as a GM? Oh boy....

How do you knwo this?? do you know them?? they tell you for sure they wont take this job?

I'm not saying any of these guys take the Leafs GM job, but you Leaf haters are all pretty quick to say, "oh none of these guys will take the job" how do you guys know? for the right money you never know.

WinnipegWingnut
11-26-2007, 01:06 PM
How do you knwo this?? do you know them?? they tell you for sure they wont take this job?

I'm not saying any of these guys take the Leafs GM job, but you Leaf haters are all pretty quick to say, "oh none of these guys will take the job" how do you guys know? for the right money you never know.

Why would they??? Not one of these guys has a tie to the team except Ron Francis. This is what the Toronto media ALWAYS does, list off 3-5 big names on the "wish list" of which everyone knows (other than Leaf fans) that there is a slim to nil chance of it happening.

Now the Fan is saying Gilmour? You think that the organization would realize that a last name means nothing (ala JF - definitely not his dad) and hire someone that can do the job right.

two24four
11-26-2007, 01:13 PM
Why would they??? Not one of these guys has a tie to the team except Ron Francis. This is what the Toronto media ALWAYS does, list off 3-5 big names on the "wish list" of which everyone knows (other than Leaf fans) that there is a slim to nil chance of it happening.

Now the Fan is saying Gilmour? You think that the organization would realize that a last name means nothing (ala JF - definitely not his dad) and hire someone that can do the job right.

They never brought JFJ in cause of his Dad's name, they brought him in cause at the time he was the asst. GM in St. Louis and had done a pretty good job while doing that job, he was knowen at the time for making some pretty good moves while in St. Louis.

WinnipegWingnut
11-26-2007, 01:16 PM
They never brought JFJ in cause of his Dad's name, they brought him in cause at the time he was the asst. GM in St. Louis and had done a pretty good job while doing that job, he was knowen at the time for making some pretty good moves while in St. Louis.

You can't tell me that the "name" didn't motivate at all. I feel for your Leaf fans.... the media hypes up things so much, tells you at the start of every year that the Cup is coming to Toronto, then you miss the playoffs. Time to trade Sundin, Kaberle for some good young guns. If the team is going to lose anyways, may as well rebuild. Of course JF with his brilliant no trade clauses might hurt this.

canuckthug
11-26-2007, 01:17 PM
i thought the leafs would be better with Toskala. I say give Pogge a shot and maybe he can pull a Carey Price.

two24four
11-26-2007, 01:19 PM
You can't tell me that the "name" didn't motivate at all. I feel for your Leaf fans.... the media hypes up things so much, tells you at the start of every year that the Cup is coming to Toronto, then you miss the playoffs. Time to trade Sundin, Kaberle for some good young guns. If the team is going to lose anyways, may as well rebuild. Of course JF with his brilliant no trade clauses might hurt this.

I know I dont go into every year thinking we will win the Cup, Iam a fan, but I know this is not a Stanley Cup team, no matter what the media says, I want to see them trade some guys for some top picks, like I have been saying for awhile now, I want to do what the Hawks and Pens have been doing, building around great young kids, with 1st round picks.

Like I said before, being 4th last in the NHL might be the best thing to happen to this team in sometime, sad to say being a fan, but it's true.

WinnipegWingnut
11-26-2007, 01:23 PM
I know I dont go into every year thinking we will win the Cup, Iam a fan, but I know this is not a Stanley Cup team, no matter what the media says, I want to see them trade some guys for some top picks, like I have been saying for awhile now, I want to do what the Hawks and Pens have been doing, building around great young kids, with 1st round picks.

Bingo. I'm not saying you buy into it, but aren't people tired of the media saying "this is the year" at the beginning of every NHL season?

It wouldn't be hard to turn it around for the Leafs, look at Philly, they did it in a year! Just need the right GM in place. Bowman would be the dream guy, but Muckler, Neil Smith (if he's available) would be perfect.

two24four
11-26-2007, 01:30 PM
Bingo. I'm not saying you buy into it, but aren't people tired of the media saying "this is the year" at the beginning of every NHL season?

It wouldn't be hard to turn it around for the Leafs, look at Philly, they did it in a year! Just need the right GM in place. Bowman would be the dream guy, but Muckler, Neil Smith (if he's available) would be perfect.

I'm sure people are sick of the media in Toronto, I myself just read what I want to read, there a few guys once I see who wrote something, I wont even look at what they have to say, cause 9 times out of 10 it's BS, just trying to get people going.

I agree, with the right guy in place as the GM, we could turn this team around, guys I would keep are, Kabby, Tucker, Wellwood, Toskala, Pogge, Antropov, Poni, Steen, Tlusty, they would be who I keep to build off, maybe trade Sundin for some picks and young players, then re-sign him july 1st to help the young guys along.

Maybe trade Tucker if he can bring something good back, if not, I keep him.

b_illin
11-26-2007, 03:19 PM

1. They may have grown up Leaf fans
2. It would be very high-paying
3. It would be very high-profile (these guys may miss the spotlight - you never know)
4. As CDNs, perhaps they are ready to come back to Canada.
5. Love the team/city or hate them/it, Toronto is the brass ring in the league which leads into...
6. if whoever comes in can right this ship and make the team a winner, they would be a hero in this city forever. That is a lot of glory and prestige.

So, there are 6 possible reasons. I am not saying that any of those reasons are enough or are even valid, but they are just as valid as the haters who have quickly dismissed these rumours completely. I am sure this post will get torn apart, but just because the team is a mess now (and has been for most of the last 30 years), doesn't mean there aren't NHL people/former players, etc. up for the challenge (despite the media, etc.). Take off the Leaf hating hat and you may see that these rumours are at the very least, a possibility. (and nothing more)

b_illin
11-26-2007, 03:29 PM
I'm sure people are sick of the media in Toronto, I myself just read what I want to read, there a few guys once I see who wrote something, I wont even look at what they have to say, cause 9 times out of 10 it's BS, just trying to get people going.

I agree, with the right guy in place as the GM, we could turn this team around, guys I would keep are, Kabby, Tucker, Wellwood, Toskala, Pogge, Antropov, Poni, Steen, Tlusty, they would be who I keep to build off, maybe trade Sundin for some picks and young players, then re-sign him july 1st to help the young guys along.

Maybe trade Tucker if he can bring something good back, if not, I keep him.

I would like to keep most of the guys listed as well, but if the right deal were available, I'd trade any of the except Tlusty, Pogge & maybe Kaberle (as we need a solid dman to be the rock)....Stralman too.

I'd trade Sundin (and hopefully sign him back if he's down on July 1), Tucker, McCabe, Kubina, Toskala or Raycroft (whichever gets more in return - Pogge might be ready for next year and having Razor suck balls will help us get a higher pick) and I would trade Wellwood, Steen & Stajan in the right deals as I don't see as much promise as everyone else does (although I do like them). Antropov and Poni i want to keep as well (aI could see both excelling in a leadership role), but the problem is most other teams covet the guys we covet as well, so we may need to do what we need to do.

Back to Wellwood, Steen and Stajan. Wellwood may become a good point producer, but I think his offensive ability masks other areas of his game (inability to backcheck, shitty skater, etc.). Steen is good, but I don't see him being anymore than a 60 pt guy unless he has some serious talent on his line...I think other teams see him as having more potential, so he has extra value in my eyes. Stajan is a tricky one as I have always liked him and he could be the huge surprise (upside) if given more responsibility, but end of the day, if including him in a deal gets us some young stud, then I;m game.

Hawkeye
11-26-2007, 03:59 PM
i thought the leafs would be better with Toskala. I say give Pogge a shot and maybe he can pull a Carey Price.

:lol::lol::lol:

WinnipegWingnut
11-26-2007, 04:03 PM
Even more turmoil in Leaf land... even the players are getting frustrated, apparently Blake and Gill got into it in practise this morning.

WIS
11-26-2007, 04:04 PM
Blake and Gill fought?
Even more turmoil in Leaf land... even the players are getting frustrated, apparently Blake and Gill got into it in practise this morning.

WinnipegWingnut
11-26-2007, 04:05 PM
Blake and Gill fought?

Fan 590 said there was a "scuffle" between the two. Hope Blake didn't fight Gill... it'd be ugly for Blake!

phaneuf6
11-27-2007, 09:35 PM
A few notes from tonight's game so far:

1) Ian White should shave.
2) Why is Woznewski (sp) on the PP and PK? Why is he on the roster period? Bring up Stralman and send this clown down.
3) Blake is a plug. Just because he hasn't been scoring doesn't mean taking 10 shots from ridiculous angles is going to fix it. I'd rather see him passing the puck more and creating more scoring chances for others than being selfish and trying to raise his own goal numbers.

nyrblue2
11-27-2007, 09:56 PM
Ummm...mismatch?

nyrblue2
11-27-2007, 10:07 PM
Anyone know why Alexei Ponikarovsky didn't play tonight?

phaneuf6
11-27-2007, 10:09 PM
Anyone know why Alexei Ponikarovsky didn't play tonight?
Cramping in his leg. Decided not to push it.

phaneuf6
11-27-2007, 10:23 PM
Shootout for the Leafs = Autoloss.

What's up with the shooters that Maurice chooses? Why not try Stajan or Steen in the shootout instead of the same guys time after time who fail time after time.

two24four
11-27-2007, 10:27 PM
I have been saying for awhile now that Woznewski should be in the AHL, he's been ass most of the season.

Better job by the boys tonight though...........Blake cant by a goal, but he did help in a big way on the 3rd goal by Sundin, Blake is so fast though, he does make things happen when he has the puck.....nice to see Sundin get his 400th goal as a Leaf...........tough loss in the shootout though.

tinkeysersoze
11-29-2007, 02:55 PM
Well, all tolled, I think the Leafs have had some really decent games this year. I know this will sound like a Leafer BS, but how many games have we lost by more than one goal (not counting empty netters)? We have played some really good games, only to choke for about 5 minutes, and pay the price every time. Sure there have been some TERRIBLE games, but I don't think we are as bad as our record, HONESTLY.

The season is still young and if they can put up games like the MOntreal game which was good overall, then I still don't think it's time to give up yet.

phaneuf6
11-29-2007, 04:23 PM
Well, all tolled, I think the Leafs have had some really decent games this year. I know this will sound like a Leafer BS, but how many games have we lost by more than one goal (not counting empty netters)? We have played some really good games, only to choke for about 5 minutes, and pay the price every time. Sure there have been some TERRIBLE games, but I don't think we are as bad as our record, HONESTLY.

The season is still young and if they can put up games like the MOntreal game which was good overall, then I still don't think it's time to give up yet.
Man that's some homerism if I've ever heard it. This is garbage hockey. The only good game I can remember this season where they played sound defense and got the job done on the scoreboard was the Ottawa game a week ago. Other than that there are some glaringly obvious errors happening every game on simple plays.

b_illin
11-29-2007, 08:37 PM
I am behind in the Leaf game by quite a bit and haven't read any of the above or seen the score past where I am in the game (1st) when they are reviewing the goal that Antropov scored. I say scored because I watched on the DVR(tivo) and slow-mo'ed. It hit the goalie in the back and would have trickled in, but Antropov totally tipped it an inch or two under the crossbar and it picked up speed. What a goal. I am sure we are going to get screwed on this, but it was a goal in my eyes (it was below his shoulders and below the crossbar) - we'll see.

two24four
11-30-2007, 02:39 AM
Great win by the boys tonight......nice to see Steen get his 1st goal in 11 games, and Stajan his 1st in 10 games, maybe that will get them going....... It's great watching Sundin have the season he's having, scored his 13th goal of the season............ maybe for now this will shut the media up for abit, so they can just stick to playing hockey, now bring on the Pens.

tinkeysersoze
12-01-2007, 11:04 AM
Man that's some homerism if I've ever heard it. This is garbage hockey. The only good game I can remember this season where they played sound defense and got the job done on the scoreboard was the Ottawa game a week ago. Other than that there are some glaringly obvious errors happening every game on simple plays.

While I agree wholeheartedly that the defense has looked terrible in the losses, I disagree wholeheartedly that the entire efforts have been garbage. That's ridiculous. In at least 80% of the games we've played, we've been the better team for 40-50 minutes of the game. More puck possession, more shots on goal, more scoring chances. The problem has been those 10 minute lapses. What frustrates me the most is that it seems like we pay for EVERY single defensive lapse. I mean, occasionally, you would think a guy might NOT score if he gets a breakaway. This hasn't been the case with the Leafs. Yes, they are horrible giveaways and ignorance of the player in front of the net (the latter being the most costly and understandably so), but it would be nice if just once they wouldn't result in a goal.

Phoenix is NOT an example of what I'm talking about. Look at the whole season, how many games we lost by one goal. How many of those games did we have a lead, even a 2 or 3 goal lead (because we were playing like the better team), only to give it up in the 3rd. The Leafs have the ability, but for some reason lose their heads in the 3rd or for a stretch in the other periods. They CAN be good, but they just have to stay consistent with the effort they've shown for 80% of the ice time this season. That's what I meant, and anyone who has watched ALL of the games can see that we've dominated several teams for the majority of a game, and still lost.

phaneuf6
12-01-2007, 11:13 AM
While I agree wholeheartedly that the defense has looked terrible in the losses, I disagree wholeheartedly that the entire efforts have been garbage. That's ridiculous. In at least 80% of the games we've played, we've been the better team for 40-50 minutes of the game. More puck possession, more shots on goal, more scoring chances. The problem has been those 10 minute lapses. What frustrates me the most is that it seems like we pay for EVERY single defensive lapse. I mean, occasionally, you would think a guy might NOT score if he gets a breakaway. This hasn't been the case with the Leafs. Yes, they are horrible giveaways and ignorance of the player in front of the net (the latter being the most costly and understandably so), but it would be nice if just once they wouldn't result in a goal.

Phoenix is NOT an example of what I'm talking about. Look at the whole season, how many games we lost by one goal. How many of those games did we have a lead, even a 2 or 3 goal lead (because we were playing like the better team), only to give it up in the 3rd. The Leafs have the ability, but for some reason lose their heads in the 3rd or for a stretch in the other periods. They CAN be good, but they just have to stay consistent with the effort they've shown for 80% of the ice time this season. That's what I meant, and anyone who has watched ALL of the games can see that we've dominated several teams for the majority of a game, and still lost.

I disagree. Toronto has dominated maybe 1 or 2 games all year. While I agree that the Leafs get burned on every lapse it seems, it's usually at the end of a long shift where they are hemmed in their own end for minutes at a time. Their defence is a mess and just can't get the puck out and it leads to a goal for the opposition.

I'd just like to know your definition of domination though. Outshooting the opponent can't be classified as domination, especially considering Jason Blake probably puts about 10 garbage shots on goal per game. I'd rather have 3 quality scoring chances than 10 crappy shots any day. Puck possession is a good category to own but when the possession is all in the defensive and neutral zone it's not good. The Leafs usually dominate the neutral zone, I'll give you that, but then they can't gain the zone to mount an attack.

So I don't know what you mean by 'dominate' but the Leafs haven't dominated more than 2 or 3 games tops this season by my standards.

two24four
12-01-2007, 11:47 AM
I disagree. Toronto has dominated maybe 1 or 2 games all year. While I agree that the Leafs get burned on every lapse it seems, it's usually at the end of a long shift where they are hemmed in their own end for minutes at a time. Their defence is a mess and just can't get the puck out and it leads to a goal for the opposition.

I'd just like to know your definition of domination though. Outshooting the opponent can't be classified as domination, especially considering Jason Blake probably puts about 10 garbage shots on goal per game. I'd rather have 3 quality scoring chances than 10 crappy shots any day. Puck possession is a good category to own but when the possession is all in the defensive and neutral zone it's not good. The Leafs usually dominate the neutral zone, I'll give you that, but then they can't gain the zone to mount an attack.

So I don't know what you mean by 'dominate' but the Leafs haven't dominated more than 2 or 3 games tops this season by my standards.

Yes they have, and alot, and I'm not just saying this cause I'm a Leaf fan, there big prob is in the 3rd, they cant always seem to keep the lead, and they fuck up some how, pretty much in there own end when they get running around, and blow the game after pretty much dominating the 1st 40-50 mins of the game, like Tink said, they can play so great the 1st half of the game, then sometimes just blow it and look like a diff team all together in the 3rd, this has happend alot this season so far, also like Tink said, anyone who has watched every game this season will tell you this, Leafs fan or not.

gagne21
12-01-2007, 11:52 AM
The Leafs are a garbage hockey team. End of story. I don't care how many 1 goal games they've had, or how many games they've dominated (which is very very few IMO), they still are going to be a bottom feeder in the East this year. Their defence is a joke, their goaltending isn't where it needs to be, the offence is the only part of their game that ever shows any hope, and still they go through prolonged periods of low scoring hockey. Here's the stat of the day for you guys: The leafs have given up 5 or more goals 9 times this season. They've only played 26 games. That means in 35% of their games this season they need to score 6 or more goals to win....ya right.

phaneuf6
12-01-2007, 12:03 PM
The Leafs are a garbage hockey team. End of story. I don't care how many 1 goal games they've had, or how many games they've dominated (which is very very few IMO), they still are going to be a bottom feeder in the East this year. Their defence is a joke, their goaltending isn't where it needs to be, the offence is the only part of their game that ever shows any hope, and still they go through prolonged periods of low scoring hockey. Here's the stat of the day for you guys: The leafs have given up 5 or more goals 9 times this season. They've only played 26 games. That means in 35% of their games this season they need to score 6 or more goals to win....ya right.

I agree gagne. As much as I think Toskala is a great goalie, even Luongo or Brodeur would look fairly average behind a defence like the Leafs.

two24four, I actually have only missed 3 games this year because I was away in Edmonton. The rest of the games I have watched the Leafs have not dominated that many. Dictionary.com defines dominate in various ways but I think the following definition is the most relevant: To enjoy a commanding, controlling position in

The Leafs have only been in a position where they have controlled the game a few times this season, the one game that comes to mind is the Ottawa game. Otherwise they are always back on their heels and just hoping their goaltending makes a few saves and their offense can put some goals in when they get the chance. Opposing teams tend to control the tempo of the game all the time against the Leafs. Now watch a team like Detroit who control the game, they make the other team play their game. That's controlling a game, or dominating, and the Leafs don't do that.

two24four
12-01-2007, 12:27 PM
phaneuf6, you seem like a good guy, but you sound like a bandwagan fan all through this thread, when they win you seem all happy and praise them, but once they start losing you start bashing, and they can do know right, pick a side dude, Leaf fan, or hater.

You seemed to like Blake before, now you dont and he's still playing the same as he was before.

I agree, they are not a Stanley Cup team, and need to rebuild, I will be the 1st to tell you that, but dont come on here bashing just to bash.

They can be a good team if they just stick to there game for a FULL 60 mins.

Monan
12-01-2007, 12:50 PM
MLSE is not dumb, they know how leafers are so they never really have to get good. Money will come in and leafers will always rationalize (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rationalize).

Bottom line: Toronto Maple Leafs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Maple_Leafs) professional hockey team (2007 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007) value: $413 million USD (1st in the NHL) according to Forbes magazine), In 2003, MLSE was internally valued at over $1 billion (Canadian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_dollar)) by the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan in its annual report.

phaneuf6
12-01-2007, 01:50 PM
phaneuf6, you seem like a good guy, but you sound like a bandwagan fan all through this thread, when they win you seem all happy and praise them, but once they start losing you start bashing, and they can do know right, pick a side dude, Leaf fan, or hater.

You seemed to like Blake before, now you dont and he's still playing the same as he was before.

I agree, they are not a Stanley Cup team, and need to rebuild, I will be the 1st to tell you that, but dont come on here bashing just to bash.

They can be a good team if they just stick to there game for a FULL 60 mins.
I feel I praise them when I feel they played well but I just can't stand it when they don't play well. We all know that this team is better than they are playing and it just frustrates me when they don't play up to that potential. I don't look at it as bashing them it's just pure criticism. I have the right to criticize them because I pay to go watch them play, I pay to watch them on TV, so I'm paying for their salaries as are all of Leaf Nation.

As for Blake, I love his work ethic and the effort he puts in every game is consistently solid. However, now he's just getting desperate to the point where as soon as he gains the zone he's shooting the puck. I think we can all agree that he can be a bit more selective with his shots.

b_illin
12-01-2007, 10:33 PM
This may sound 'bandwagon', but while they could have easily won a few games that they lost, this team is still a LONG WAY from being a consistent winner. Time to rebuild, retool, whatever...just make sure it starts at the top!

WinnipegWingnut
12-03-2007, 09:53 AM
I agree gagne. As much as I think Toskala is a great goalie, even Luongo or Brodeur would look fairly average behind a defence like the Leafs.

two24four, I actually have only missed 3 games this year because I was away in Edmonton. The rest of the games I have watched the Leafs have not dominated that many. Dictionary.com defines dominate in various ways but I think the following definition is the most relevant: To enjoy a commanding, controlling position in

The Leafs have only been in a position where they have controlled the game a few times this season, the one game that comes to mind is the Ottawa game. Otherwise they are always back on their heels and just hoping their goaltending makes a few saves and their offense can put some goals in when they get the chance. Opposing teams tend to control the tempo of the game all the time against the Leafs. Now watch a team like Detroit who control the game, they make the other team play their game. That's controlling a game, or dominating, and the Leafs don't do that.

You should bring it over to the Detroit thread! :lol:

Come on two24four, phaneuf isn't a bandwagon fan, I'm sure he's doing what I'd do if I lived in Toronto. Get season tix to see the OTHER team! :lol:

Sorry... had to do it. I agree though, I don't think the Leafs have been in many games this year. Even the ones that they are still "in", it seems only a few of the players show heart and want to win, the others are already thinking about the next game.

two24four
12-03-2007, 11:45 AM
Nothing on how well the Leafs played Saturday night vs the Pens? other then a few little mess up's at times in the 3rd, they pretty much where all over the Pens in the game, Blake had a good game, getting his 1st goal in 18 games, he was all over the place in this game, making more passes then shots, some nice passes as well, he only had 3 shots, not his 10 shots a game like most nights.....Toskala played a great game as well in net..........only thing I did not get in this game was, they had Bell with Sundin and Antropov to start the game, Bell gets his 1st goal as Leaf on that line, and the line was looking great, then before you know it, Bell is the Centre on the 4th line with Belak and Kilger and I think they only saw the ice about once or twise in the 3rd.

It was nice seeing them keep Crosby to only 1 assist and Malkin to 0 Pts and a -3.

Sundin broke yet another Leafs record in this game, by getting at least 1 point in all of Leafs 1st 15 games at home to start the season.

Another tough week ahead though, NSH at home Tuesday, in NY to play the Rangers Thursday, and home to Boston Saturday, wont be easy but hope they can keep this going.

b_illin
12-03-2007, 12:11 PM
Nothing on how well the Leafs played Saturday night vs the Pens? other then a few little mess up's at times in the 3rd, they pretty much where all over the Pens in the game, Blake had a good game, getting his 1st goal in 18 games, he was all over the place in this game, making more passes then shots, some nice passes as well, he only had 3 shots, not his 10 shots a game like most nights.....Toskala played a great game as well in net..........only thing I did not get in this game was, they had Bell with Sundin and Antropov to start the game, Bell gets his 1st goal as Leaf on that line, and the line was looking great, then before you know it, Bell is the Centre on the 4th line with Belak and Kilger and I think they only saw the ice about once or twise in the 3rd.

It was nice seeing them keep Crosby to only 1 assist and Malkin to 0 Pts and a -3.

Sundin broke yet another Leafs record in this game, by getting at least 1 point in all of Leafs 1st 15 games at home to start the season.

Another tough week ahead though, NSH at home Tuesday, in NY to play the Rangers Thursday, and home to Boston Saturday, wont be easy but hope they can keep this going.

I didn't see the game, but I read that Bell made a bonehead play in the 2nd or 3rd at centre ice and Maurice was pissed and punished him...but it went on to say he did put hi out for an important draw at the end of the game.

PS: I may have to get the car ready for a parade down Yonge street should they win their next game! :hic:

double_dion_3
12-03-2007, 03:12 PM
well i thought bell was great and i really wanted to see him stay on the top line but he didnt, im still happy my blake-wellwood and tucker line stuck the whole game tho.

phaneuf6
12-04-2007, 05:04 PM
Hopefully they can shutdown Nashville tonight. Myself and gagne are going down so I'll be back on the bandwagon for a few hours at least :rolleyes:

Monan
12-04-2007, 09:58 PM
LOL, Belak scored tonight. That guy kicks ass, best leaf.

two24four
12-04-2007, 10:52 PM
Another great game tonight by the Leafs......Toskala was the man tonight, making big save after big save, best was the one he made on Arnott and Arnott looked back with a big smile on his face as if to say how the heck did you stop that, haha........and you know things are going great when Belak gets his 1st goal in 143 games, haha, he was so pumped, he looked at Bell and said finally lol, then his next shift he made a huge hit, good game for Belak and the Leafs tonight, hope they can keep playing like this.

fuji9991
12-05-2007, 12:36 AM
I loved that game until the Nasville goal. I have been telling everyone I know for years. Don't chant the goalies fucking name during play in his own zone. 9 time out of 10 that's when one gets by.

Toronto played well but honestly Nashville looked affraid of the puck or something. Every time a Toronto player lost the puck it seemed to bounce right back on his stick. That was a dumb penalty by Sundin too. A slash in the offensive zone, keep your cool cap.

Honestly I think Nashville played worse than Toronto played better.

Bell seems like a great addition to the lineup.

double_dion_3
12-05-2007, 12:42 AM
Another great game tonight by the Leafs......Toskala was the man tonight, making big save after big save, best was the one he made on Arnott and Arnott looked back with a big smile on his face as if to say how the heck did you stop that, haha........and you know things are going great when Belak gets his 1st goal in 143 games, haha, he was so pumped, he looked at Bell and said finally lol, then his next shift he made a huge hit, good game for Belak and the Leafs tonight, hope they can keep playing like this.

agreed, huge win to get back to 500, didnt jump off the bandwagon during rough times, paid off i guess huge win

WIS
12-05-2007, 12:55 AM
"He stole the show," said Nashville captain Jason Arnott (http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/624/;_ylt=Ahp2ldIvGr10B_7SQmnKVeErvLYF), who had 12 shots on Toskala.

That face was priceless though.

phaneuf6
12-05-2007, 06:58 AM
I loved that game until the Nasville goal. I have been telling everyone I know for years. Don't chant the goalies fucking name during play in his own zone. 9 time out of 10 that's when one gets by.

Toronto played well but honestly Nashville looked affraid of the puck or something. Every time a Toronto player lost the puck it seemed to bounce right back on his stick. That was a dumb penalty by Sundin too. A slash in the offensive zone, keep your cool cap.

Honestly I think Nashville played worse than Toronto played better.

Bell seems like a great addition to the lineup.

Bell was on the fourth line.. wtf

And the crowd wasn't chanting Toskala's name...it was a 'We want Belak' chant haha.

gagne21
12-05-2007, 09:01 AM
The Leafs didn't really play all that great last night. They got outshout like 35-15 or something like that. Stajan's and Belak's goals were cheapies, and if it weren't for Toskala it would have been a whole different game. Both teams lacked intensity yesterday. I'm glad the Leafs are on a nice little winning streak but if the leafs played the way they did last night then they can't expect to keep winning those kind of games.

WinnipegWingnut
12-05-2007, 10:09 AM
The Leafs didn't really play all that great last night. They got outshout like 35-15 or something like that. Stajan's and Belak's goals were cheapies, and if it weren't for Toskala it would have been a whole different game. Both teams lacked intensity yesterday. I'm glad the Leafs are on a nice little winning streak but if the leafs played the way they did last night then they can't expect to keep winning those kind of games.

I agree with this... the Leafs play a style of game that requires a goalie like Luongo in their net. Sacrafice giving up the big play on your own net for the chance of making a big play.

So now that this is three... who's planning the parade in Toronto??

chgorman
12-05-2007, 11:24 AM
PS: I may have to get the car ready for a parade down Yonge street should they win their next game! :hic:

Looks like b_ is already on it!

two24four
12-05-2007, 11:49 AM
I agree with this... the Leafs play a style of game that requires a goalie like Luongo in their net. Sacrafice giving up the big play on your own net for the chance of making a big play.

No one should be, but right now it's alot better in Leaf land then it was this time last week with all that BS, at least they are shutting the media up for abit.

Yes they only had 15 shots, but they are playing better as a team right now, and a win is a win ;):D.................I do agree though, they could be playing abit better, but for now I will take it.

b_illin
12-05-2007, 03:27 PM
Looks like b_ is already on it!

I hope everyone knows that post was dripping with sarcasm!

chgorman
12-05-2007, 03:49 PM
I hope everyone knows that post was dripping with sarcasm!

Yep. I was jus jokin' around.

WinnipegWingnut
12-05-2007, 04:34 PM
Hahaha.... of course we do, I was kidding as well. The Leafs are doing better than the other Canadian teams (except Van and Edm maybe) so hopefully they keep it going. I do hope to hell they get some defense going though, because Toskala is going to burn out if he has to win every game for the squad.

Hopefully we get Toronto back into the playoffs! And if there is that slim chance they can make the finals, it'll be even oh so sweeter when my Red Wings sweep ya!!!! (Come on now... you knew I hate to bash the Leafs somewhere right? it's in my blood)

phaneuf6
12-05-2007, 07:02 PM
I guess Belak is worth a look now eh? haha

two24four
12-05-2007, 07:13 PM
haha, you have to love Belak, he said he called his Mom and said he wants $5 for getting the goal, I guess when he was a kid and he scored she would give him $5 for each goal he would score :lol: gotta give it to him though, he's always pretty funny.

phaneuf6
12-05-2007, 07:35 PM
haha, you have to love Belak, he said he called his Mom and said he wants $5 for getting the goal, I guess when he was a kid and he scored she would give him $5 for each goal he would score :lol: gotta give it to him though, he's always pretty funny.
Yeah like I said I was there and everyone went nuts when he scored. Then we were all chanting We want Belak! lol

gagne21
12-05-2007, 07:36 PM
Yeah like I said I was there and everyone went nuts when he scored. Then we were all chanting We want Belak! lol
I wasn't chanting we want Belak. I was thinking how much I wish we had Mike Johnson back on the team.

phaneuf6
12-05-2007, 10:07 PM
I wasn't chanting we want Belak. I was thinking how much I wish we had Mike Johnson back on the team.
Bottom line is, the Leafs shut down Radek Bonk, the Preds top scorer, and they won because of it. :D

two24four
12-06-2007, 09:50 PM
Another win tonight, 6-2 over the Rangers, to make it 4 in wins in a row now for the Leafs, and 9 out of a possible 10 Pts in there last 5 games..........Antropov with a hatty tonight, a natural hat trick at that......everyone on the Leafs seems have stepped up there game after last weeks mess, which is great, hope they can keep this up, Boston next.

phaneuf6
12-06-2007, 10:01 PM
Still wouldn't start looking for playoff tickets. Lundy was way off his game tonight.

Damn I'm a pessimistic guy in this thread haha.

two24four
12-06-2007, 10:06 PM
Still wouldn't start looking for playoff tickets. Lundy was way off his game tonight.

No, no, but it's nice, way to early to be thinking about that yet, it's finally nice to see them playing good hockey though, a win is a win, I dont care if Lundy was on or off his game, Leafs are playing well right now.

Hawkeye
12-06-2007, 10:07 PM

More like realistic...

For real though, I'm happy they are starting to win a bit. TSN isn't filled with a shitload of Leaf stories anymore...

Mystical112
12-06-2007, 10:07 PM
Another win tonight, 6-2 over the Rangers, to make it 4 in wins in a row now for the Leafs, and 9 out of a possible 10 Pts in there last 5 games..........Antropov with a hatty tonight, a natural hat trick at that......everyone on the Leafs seems have stepped up there game after last weeks mess, which is great, hope they can keep this up, Boston next.

boston is gonna be a good test... they've beat up on us during the previous meetings... hopefully we can keep it up...
________
Video reviews (http://videoreviews.org)

vinzanity
12-06-2007, 10:14 PM
Lol, some caller on AM 640 is saying the Leafs are going to win the Cup this year. Parade on Yonge Street, baby!

two24four
12-06-2007, 10:17 PM
Lol, some caller on AM 640 is saying the Leafs are going to win the Cup this year. Parade on Yonge Street, baby!

I try not to listen/watch that show, lot of douche bags who call that show who have no clue what they are talking about.

vinzanity
12-06-2007, 10:18 PM
I try not to listen/watch that show, lot of douche bags call that show who have no clue what they are talking about.

Ahha, you gotta love Leaf fans. Stick by the team regardless if we went 82-0 or 0-82.

two24four
12-06-2007, 10:22 PM
Ahha, you gotta love Leaf fans. Stick by the team regardless if we went 82-0 or 0-82.

Oh I'm one of them, I stick by them no matter what, win or lose, but I'm not going to watch/listen to that show, some nights after a win guys call in saying they are going to win the Cup, then the very next game after a loss that same guy calls in saying something like they need to trade Sundin for a bag of pucks :rolleyes:

double_dion_3
12-06-2007, 10:22 PM
I try not to listen/watch that show, lot of douche bags who call that show who have no clue what they are talking about.

so true, one guy said that the leafs last year should trade travis green for joe thornton:lol::lol::lol:

vinzanity
12-06-2007, 10:26 PM
Oh I'm one of them, I stick by them no matter what, win or lose, but I'm not going to watch/listen to that show, some nights after a win guys call in saying they where going to win the Cup, then the very next game after a loss that same guy calls in saying something like they need to trade Sundin for a bag of pucks :rolleyes:

I usually just listen to it for the outer town scoreboard, but i gotta admit it's amusing to hear what the rest of the leaf fans have to say. :lol:

fuji9991
12-07-2007, 01:10 AM

I certainly like the way they are playing. They have been able to shut a few opponents down and tonight demonstrated once again that they can put some serious amounts of goals on the board. I'd really like to see them go head to head with a cup contender that brings there A game just to see if they are playing better or if they are playing teams in a rut. Nashville for one kinda rolled over. I didn't see the second half of the Rangers game. I'm still loving that Ottawa game a few weeks back.

b_illin
12-07-2007, 02:02 PM
As silly as it sounds, I hope this winning streak comes to an end as this will mask the true problems that need to be addressed - change in mgmt from the top-down. Now, if the team is definitely going to make changes in the offseason no matter what happens from here on out, then yeah, keep winning, but if this leads to Peddie staying on a Pres. or JFJ as GM, than I'd rather lose thanks. Also, I kind want a high draft pick. I am pretty much set in my thinking that we need to step back, hire the right ppl and rebuild or semi-rebuild at the least. The first step will be trading Sundin. I know ppl don't want to hear that, but they could get loads for him if he keeps this up. Trade him and hopefully sign him back in the offseason.

two24four
12-07-2007, 03:38 PM
I think no matter what happens this season JFJ will be gone for sure.

I do agree with trading Sundin at some point, as much as I dont want to see him go, the way he's playing right now, alot of teams would give up alot for him, his value should be pretty high right now, then we can just re-sign him again July 1st when he's a UFA.

phaneuf6
12-07-2007, 04:34 PM

Sounds like the hosts of most of those shows...

fuji9991
12-07-2007, 05:12 PM
I'd hate to see Sundin Traded but if we are truly rebuilding to contend for a cup I am not sure Sundin would still be playing by the time a real playoff run was put together. Imagine San Jose without Thornton. You guys would be in for a string of dismal seasons. But what the hell its not like we got anything different now. If they are going to trade Sundin they better for real hire the right GM.

vinzanity
12-10-2007, 08:58 PM
Bah, its times like these i wish Tampa was in our division. To say we have their number is a huge understatement.

phaneuf6
12-10-2007, 09:15 PM
Leafs playing well tonight. I think the Richards injury kind of killed TB. It seemed like it anyways. Antropov is continuing to shine, I love it. Hopefully that's Blake starting to round into form now too.

Jakkers
12-11-2007, 01:47 PM
is it just me or are the leafs just passing way better than usual? A ton of tic-tac-toe plays going on. I know the emphasis on defensive play has been the real spark, but damn, we actually look like a decent team out there!

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
12-11-2007, 01:56 PM
curious leafers - is Antropov playing top line with Sundin again? I know he got booted down at one point for whatever reasons, but He's been on fire again lately! Surprisingly one of the best centers i've got in one of my fantasy leagues.

Break out season is in the works?

tinkeysersoze
12-11-2007, 02:05 PM

Still think I sounded like a homer? I told everyone that despite the VERY few minutes with dumb defensive lapses, the Leafs have looked good in many of the games this season. They are staying consistent in the areas that have been good all season, and now they're playing some defense. I hate to say "I told you so" phaneuf, but I, unlike many, never lost faith in my boys. Just because EVERY game they had 1 or 2 major defensive lapses, they've been the dominant team on the ice most of the time.

Like I said before the season, this team missed the playoffs by 1 point last season. We've since added a goalie on a tier higher than Raycroft, a 40-goal scorer who is playing well, and Bell, a hard-hitting skilled player. I frankly have never doubted we will make the playoffs, and I'll stand behind it all season. Leaf homerism? We'll see my friends, we'll see.

We could lose another 9 straight and I still think we're a lot better than people think. Just wait until Wellwood gets his game back up to par. Toskala is the key, he really looks great back there and I think we could ride him alone into the playoffs, but the whole team is finally gelling. Tampa isn't a tremendous victory, they have their own problems, but nobody can say the Leafs haven't played well in the last 8 games (Boston wasn't spectacular, but we only gave up 2 goals).

tinkeysersoze
12-11-2007, 02:07 PM

This is what made you call me a homer phaneuf, right before our last 8 games :) I stand behind my point.

narduch
12-11-2007, 02:11 PM
curious leafers - is Antropov playing top line with Sundin again? I know he got booted down at one point for whatever reasons, but He's been on fire again lately! Surprisingly one of the best centers i've got in one of my fantasy leagues.

Not only is he playing with Sundin, but he has replaced Tucker on PP1.

I don't trust him to stay healthy, but when he is in the line up, he is awesome.

phaneuf6
12-11-2007, 02:14 PM

He is on the top line right now with Sundin and Poni. Definitely a breakout season if you can't classify it as one already!

Still think I sounded like a homer? I told everyone that despite the VERY few minutes with dumb defensive lapses, the Leafs have looked good in many of the games this season. They are staying consistent in the areas that have been good all season, and now they're playing some defense. I hate to say "I told you so" phaneuf, but I, unlike many, never lost faith in my boys. Just because EVERY game they had 1 or 2 major defensive lapses, they've been the dominant team on the ice most of the time.

Like I said before the season, this team missed the playoffs by 1 point last season. We've since added a goalie on a tier higher than Raycroft, a 40-goal scorer who is playing well, and Bell, a hard-hitting skilled player. I frankly have never doubted we will make the playoffs, and I'll stand behind it all season. Leaf homerism? We'll see my friends, we'll see.

We could lose another 9 straight and I still think we're a lot better than people think. Just wait until Wellwood gets his game back up to par. Toskala is the key, he really looks great back there and I think we could ride him alone into the playoffs, but the whole team is finally gelling. Tampa isn't a tremendous victory, they have their own problems, but nobody can say the Leafs haven't played well in the last 8 games (Boston wasn't spectacular, but we only gave up 2 goals).

Obviously we're better than that losing streak and this is more like the hockey this team SHOULD be playing. I'm just saying you can't possibly say they have dominated the majority of the games. That's my argument. Last night they weren't dominating until the Richards injury and that was more of a Tampa letdown than a Leaf surge. I feel the Leafs aren't quite there yet defensively but Toskala has been allowing them to catch up a bit and saving them on their lapses lately. Hopefully it can last for the rest of the season.

I love my Leafs just as much as the next guy but you have to be realistic too. They haven't dominated many games and their defensive errors are still glaringly obvious but improving. Then again, you just have to outscore the opponent to win and the Leafs have been able to do that lately so kudos to them.

narduch
12-11-2007, 02:17 PM
The funny thing is that when you look at the standings, its like the Leafs aren't even making up that much ground. It feels like they will need to go on a 10 game winning streak just to get the 8th spot.

/I hate the new point system.

tinkeysersoze
12-11-2007, 02:19 PM

Sorry it took me so long to get to these, I didn't see them, it was on the next page already :)

By domination, what does any hockey fan mean? I would have to say the most obvious has been puck possession. We spent a majority of the games this season WITH the puck, moreso than the opposition. 24 said it best, you really would have to have WATCHED all of the games. If you have, and still claim we haven't been all over the puck, then we have nothing more to discuss, you're clearly blind and biased.

Second fact, how about leading in the score? Check the records, I'd say we've been in the lead WAY more than we've been trailing. Comeback after comeback due to MOMENTARY and stupid defensive mistakes have been the nemesis of the Leafs all season. I'm assuming you're watching the games now? Notice how we've dominated the last 7 of 8 teams (even in Boston I'd say we had the puck more than they did). We've looked like this all season in the first 2 periods. Now we're finally showing up in the third.

You can deny it if you choose, but I am more inclined to believe you haven't been watching all 60 minutes of most of the games like I have. Sure we're not Detroit, or Ottawa with a clear dominance of most opponents by skilled players like Zetterberg, Alfredsson, or Datsyuk, but Sundin has really been playing amazingly, and even non-Leafers can't deny Antropov is not a fluke. We have been the better team in MOST of our games this year period. And I don't care how much of a homer that might make me sound like, I've actually watched the games and seen it. I don't consider a 5 minute defensive lapse or 3 separate stupid defensive mistakes an "ENTIRE GAME OF CRAPPINESS". Sure we lost those games, but the team showed EXTENSIVE stretches of being really solid (usually at least 70% of the game). While 70% doesn't win games or cups, they've clearly upped that number by enhancing their defensive game and are looking like that 70% for more like 90-95% of the game.