PDA

View Full Version : Lions fans

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

MrScientist
09-16-2007, 08:29 PM
Not gonna lie, the game today was a stinker but at least we won in the end (loved watching Shaun Rogers light up Tarvaris though) ... all of us fans should spread this around tomorrow, no matter how asinine :D

- On Monday morning, we will have a better record than one of the Patriots/Chargers ;):rolleyes:

FlyGuy78
09-16-2007, 08:31 PM
you beat the raiders and the vikings.........barely. i wouldn't get happy just yet.

Spartan
09-16-2007, 08:34 PM
No thanks on the honolulu blue Kool-Aid just yet.

MrScientist
09-16-2007, 09:03 PM
Why so negative guys ... I mean this is a joke thread, lighten up :)

King_Killah
09-17-2007, 08:52 AM
Why so negative guys ... I mean this is a joke thread, lighten up :)

...a joke, but on a serious note... The Lions will hit the 10 win mark as Kitna guaranteed. They are 2-0 regardless of who they beat. Especially since one of those teams (Raiders) Fly was practically guaranteeing his life that the Lions wouldn't beat. Damn who would have thought... Notre Dame and Michigan start 0-2, yet Detroit and Green Bay start 2-0!

FlyGuy78
09-17-2007, 08:53 AM
The Lions will hit 10 wins when I hit the lottery!! You better hope that Kitna's concussion doesn't turn up to be worse than they expected, or they ain't even coming close to 10 wins.

And Michigan still sucks ballz!!

King_Killah
09-17-2007, 08:58 AM
The Lions will hit 10 wins when I hit the lottery!! You better hope that Kitna's concussion doesn't turn up to be worse than they expected, or they ain't even coming close to 10 wins.

And Michigan still sucks ballz!!

Dude.... I was pissed when O'Sullivan came in... We were all at Dadz watching all the games, and of course some of us had Detoit -3 (KK, DB) and others had the over 42 (Rickety-Rick, Mosca, Dwayne the Bezerker, Sludge, some dude Shorty) in that game. No one knew what happened to Kitna. Dude he got drilled... But he comes back to win the game.

Michigan won't lose again until they play Ohio State.

I was actually pulling for the Raiders last night. Willy had Denver's defense in. Good ol' McCown still the starter! Love him!

two24four
09-17-2007, 11:44 AM
I think DET could go atleast 8-8 this season, which I think they will take, someone made a good point yesterday, they are starting to look like a younger St. Louis team, (alittle bit) CJ and Williams being Hold and Bruce, Kitna is deff no Bulger but he's ok if healthy, T-Bell is a pretty good RB as well, again he's no SJ, but he's not bad, plus they have an ex Rams coach as well who is a good coach.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
09-17-2007, 07:05 PM
If healthy, Detroit will surprise some people... the soft beginning to their schedule only helps their cause.

Spartan
09-17-2007, 10:21 PM
All right I'll buy. I looked at the schedule and they have 7 winnable games left. If they can get 5 or 6 of those and steal one they should lose, that would be respectable. I'll still lay off the Kool-Aid for now, we'll know more after Philly and Chicago.

beanz
09-19-2007, 05:02 PM
bah, Philly is in the bag. its gonna be a blowout with the Lions comin out on top. They will get about 8-9 wins this year, and they arent a great team but they are a good team with talent to actually start something the next few years.

Dubz
09-19-2007, 07:03 PM
you beat the raiders and the vikings.........barely. i wouldn't get happy just yet.

Ya, and the Raiders beat nobody just yet!

I was hoping for 8 wins this season after I looked at the schedule:cool:

FlyGuy78
09-19-2007, 07:31 PM
Ya, and the Raiders beat nobody just yet!

I was hoping for 8 wins this season after I looked at the schedule:cool:

they should of beaten DET and they did beat DEN except that Shannahan is a faggot for calling a timeout while the fucking ball is in the air. Don't get me started. The Raiders win this week.

Dubz
09-19-2007, 07:58 PM
The Raiders will win this week;)

And you started before Pre-season:lol:

King_Killah
09-20-2007, 08:58 AM
they should of beaten DET and they did beat DEN except that Shannahan is a faggot for calling a timeout while the fucking ball is in the air. Don't get me started. The Raiders win this week.

Time out was called BEFORE the kick...... Coaching genius. Your fault that Janikowski SUCKS! Oh...and Cleveland will beat the Raiders this week, FOR SURE!

FlyGuy78
09-20-2007, 10:42 AM
Time out was called BEFORE the kick...... Coaching genius. Your fault that Janikowski SUCKS! Oh...and Cleveland will beat the Raiders this week, FOR SURE!

Janikowski does suck this year, but it was a 52 yard FG that he HIT as that prick called a timeout. He just missed it the second time. I'd like to see you kick a 52 yd FG in OT!! :rolleyes:

And OAK wins this week............BIG!!!

King_Killah
09-20-2007, 03:00 PM
Janikowski does suck this year, but it was a 52 yard FG that he HIT as that prick called a timeout. He just missed it the second time. I'd like to see you kick a 52 yd FG in OT!! :rolleyes:

And OAK wins this week............BIG!!!

I'll kick a 52 yard FG for you. Janikowski sucks THIS YEAR? Every year! You knew the time out was being called. Everyone on God's green Earth who was watching the game knew a time out was going to be called. Why are you so surprised?

FlyGuy78
09-20-2007, 04:09 PM
I'll kick a 52 yard FG for you. Janikowski sucks THIS YEAR? Every year! You knew the time out was being called. Everyone on God's green Earth who was watching the game knew a time out was going to be called. Why are you so surprised?

The Raiders were half way off the field before anyone realized it, don't tell me you and everyone else knew.

King_Killah
09-20-2007, 05:20 PM
The Raiders were half way off the field before anyone realized it, don't tell me you and everyone else knew.

Dipshit you could clearly hear the whistles being blown before the snap... You could see the sideline calling time. Just because the asshole Raiders and their naive fans didn't hear it or want to hear it, that's their own problem. So yes, I...and everyone else who was watching the game knew.

Spartan
11-08-2007, 02:18 PM
Shaun Rogers sucking all of the oxygen out of Ford Field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2gWVRwLT-w

chgorman
11-08-2007, 03:11 PM

That stiff-arm was phenominal.

MrScientist
11-08-2007, 03:21 PM
That play epitomizes the Lions this season - you knew it was possible, but how many people thought it would actually happen?

Motorcat
11-08-2007, 03:48 PM
44-7 to over the Bronco's - I love it.

Not many teams I enjoy watching taking a beat down more than the Broncos.

Congrats Lion's fans

Dubz
11-08-2007, 07:35 PM

:yes:

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
11-09-2007, 12:35 AM
That play epitomizes the Lions this season - you knew it was possible, but how many people thought it would actually happen?

If healthy, Detroit will surprise some people... the soft beginning to their schedule only helps their cause.

And I'm not even a Lions fan... :D

King_Killah
11-09-2007, 09:46 PM
You know what is amazing... I am shocked that an illegal block to the back wasn't called. Rogers stiff-armed the dude, then the Lion trailing trying to get the block shoved the dude in the back and fell on top of him. All in all.....way to go Detroit. Aiming for Kitna's 10-6 guarantee. More than halfway there.

MrScientist
11-10-2007, 10:15 AM
You know what is amazing... I am shocked that an illegal block to the back wasn't called. Rogers stiff-armed the dude, then the Lion trailing trying to get the block shoved the dude in the back and fell on top of him. All in all.....way to go Detroit. Aiming for Kitna's 10-6 guarantee. More than halfway there.

That was Boss Bailey on the play - I thought that too, but if you watch, the Denver guy is already going down. Even if he did throw an illegal block, I don't think it really affected the course of the play.

Spartan
01-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Kevin Jones had his ACL repaired and will be out 4-6 months. Call me cold hearted, but I would cut him. I'm just not sold on his ability at this level. He basically had one half of one good season under Mariucci and has never repeated. Resign Duckett and try Calhoun for the short term.

King_Killah
01-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Kevin Jones had his ACL repaired and will be out 4-6 months. Call me cold hearted, but I would cut him. I'm just not sold on his ability at this level. He basically had one half of one good season under Mariucci and has never repeated. Resign Duckett and try Calhoun for the short term.

I agree on the K-Jones point. I never was sold on him. In most cases when people asked who to start, I almost always went with the other guy.

Spartan
02-22-2008, 02:04 PM
Finally Millen speaks, I really wish he hadn't. This guy is crap concentrate.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080222/SPORTS01/80222028

Q: How do you handle criticism?

A: “I’m pretty good with blame. I have been blamed my whole life. You grow up in a family of 11, you get blamed a whole lot.”

Q: There aren’t 10 other presidents of the Lions, though. You’re the only one.

A: “I expect it. It’s not any different.”

Q: Is it valid?

A: “If I was sitting at home and I was a Lion fan, you’ve got to blame somebody. I’d blame me, too. Nobody sees all the inner workings. That’s part of my job is to get blamed. I’m OK with that. But it’s also part of my job to win. We haven’t done that.”

Why don't you just quit? Have you no sense you may be in over your head???

Q: Why did some games get so out of hand?

A: “I don’t know. I can’t figure that one out, where it was just complete … You look at it like, ‘What? This team didn’t even show up.’ Like San Diego. … I don’t know. That was a hard one for me.”

Q: If you don’t know what went wrong, how do you fix it?

A: “There’s more than one thing. A lot of it has to do with mindset and things you can’t approach – how we’re practicing. We’re not good enough in some areas. You can cover some things up, but you can’t cover all of them up.”
Wow just amazing, this just confirms that I could do way better than this fool and my experience is limited to a little Madden and watching Sportscenter.

Q: What do you think of Mike Martz?

A: “Mike did a lot of good things. He gave us something to build on.”

Q: Did you fire him?

A: “Why is that such a big question all the time?”

Q: Because it hasn’t been answered.

A: “I thought he answered that already.”

Q: He said Thursday he was fired. But the Lions have not said he was fired or that he resigned.

A: “No. I understand.”

Q: What happened?

A: “It doesn’t matter what happened. He’s not here.”

Q: Fans would like to know.

A: “Fans could care less.” :banghead:

Q: Martz said he had no idea there were conflicting philosophies. How could that be?

A: “Ask him. I don’t know.”

Q: We did.

A: “Well, then he gave you your answer. I don’t really want to talk about Mike Martz, to be honest with you.”

Q: In seven of your eight years, you have fired at least one coach or coordinator. How can you build continuity like that?

A: “You can’t. And that’s an issue.”
What is fascinating about this Q/A is that he basically admits to failure in every area of team management. He admits failure in hiring coaches, scouting players, extending players that don't deserve it and double standards within the organization. Who in the world would continue to employ anyone that admittedly as incompetent as him. What kills me is that I like football and grew up with this piece of shit team and can't leave.

Dubz
02-22-2008, 02:28 PM
I don’t know. I can’t figure that one out
You can cover some things up, but you can’t cover all of them up.”
“Ask him. I don’t know.
It doesn’t matter what happened. He’s not here
We’re not good enough
I don’t know. That was a hard one for me.”

Q: How can you build continuity like that?

A: “You can’t. And that’s an issue.”

The bottom line:“Fans could care less.”

Things are looking up....its always been nice to be a Lions fan :$

Spartan
03-01-2008, 07:55 AM
Shaun Rogers to the Browns for Leigh Bodden and a 3rd rounder. I like this way better than the deal to the Bengals for a 3rd and 5th that the league rejected. The Lions are desperate for defensive backs so
Bodden could fit well and he is young compared to Brian Kelly without having to pay big. There is enough cap space to go after a bigger name like Michael Turner or Alan Faneca. I like both of those players they would both fill a need, if it were up to me I would pursue Faneca and draft Jonathon Stewart in the first round. He would fit perfectly into the Lions new running scheme.
On a side the Browns make out well here too, Rogers as a nose tackle can be as fat as he wants. Stock your buffets Cleveland.

Jake
03-01-2008, 10:49 AM
If we cut Kevin Jones I will miss his seven carries a game:rolleyes::rolleyes: Never was a fan of his, I was hopeful when we got T. Bell, but then again I was hopeful with C. Rogers, Mike Williams, etc...

Dubz
03-01-2008, 01:12 PM
Shaun Rogers to the Browns for Leigh Bodden and a 3rd rounder. I like this way better than the deal to the Bengals for a 3rd and 5th that the league rejected. The Lions are desperate for defensive backs so
Bodden could fit well and he is young compared to Brian Kelly without having to pay big. There is enough cap space to go after a bigger name like Michael Turner or Alan Faneca. I like both of those players they would both fill a need, if it were up to me I would pursue Faneca and draft Jonathon Stewart in the first round. He would fit perfectly into the Lions new running scheme.
On a side the Browns make out well here too, Rogers as a nose tackle can be as fat as he wants. Stock your buffets Cleveland.

Enlighten me

Spartan
03-01-2008, 01:37 PM
Enlighten me

More than 10 attempts per game.

Dubz
03-01-2008, 01:45 PM
More than 10 attempts per game.

For Kitna?:lol:

Im sure you are suggesting they will get a RB....that must be the scheme/plan

Spartan
03-13-2008, 03:04 PM
WDFN is reporting that Kevin Jones has been released. Good move, overrated player that seemed to be made of glass. There will be a lot of good backs available at pick 15.

Spartan
03-13-2008, 03:32 PM
Kalimba Edwards also cut. You know that we passed on Clinton Portis for him.

Millen's draft record is great who's left, Ernie Sims and ..... Roy?

chgorman
03-13-2008, 03:42 PM
Kalimba Edwards also cut. You know that we passed on Clinton Portis for him.

Millen's draft record is great who's left, Ernie Sims and ..... Roy?

Megatron!!

Dubz
03-13-2008, 04:20 PM
Who is going to run the ball....TJ and KJ gone that leaves

Report: Lions re-sign Bell:lol:

Well at least they are improving the secondary I suppose.

King_Killah
03-13-2008, 10:45 PM
TAINT BELL

:lol::lol::eek::lol::wtf::lol::eek::lol::lol:

The Lions aren't aiming for a RB in the draft. At least not in the first round. Just about every mock has them looking at a corner back. A few reports that I read out of Detroit also says they have their sights set on Aqib Talib - the corner out of Kansas. Also seen the possibility of a tackle at this spot, Jeff Otah. Personally, I think Talib is a pretty solid choice here and will become a playmaker instantly for that defense.

Spartan
03-13-2008, 11:09 PM
The Lions aren't aiming for a RB in the draft. At least not in the first round. Just about every mock has them looking at a corner back. A few reports that I read out of Detroit also says they have their sights set on Aqib Talib - the corner out of Kansas. Also seen the possibility of a tackle at this spot, Jeff Otah. Personally, I think Talib is a pretty solid choice here and will become a playmaker instantly for that defense.

Most mock drafts are just guesses, and all came out before this news. The Lions are a tough predict because they have legit needs at every position except Wideout, Center, and WILL. The question will come down to value, do they really want the 4th or 5th best DB with the 15th pick. I would take Otah all day long if he were there. The other thing to consider is rush end. The Tampa 2 is useless without the ability to rush the QB and Derrick Harvey out of Florida would fit well. The secondary has been addressed by free agency and trade. Rashard Mendenhall if available would be a good choice so would Felix Jones. The guy, I like Jonathon Stewart may be available in the second round with the toe injury.

Who am I kidding Millen will take a Wide Receiver.

Dubz
03-14-2008, 01:01 AM
Most mock drafts are just guesses, and all came out before this news. The Lions are a tough predict because they have legit needs at every position except Wideout, Center, and WILL. The question will come down to value, do they really want the 4th or 5th best DB with the 15th pick. I would take Otah all day long if he were there. The other thing to consider is rush end. The Tampa 2 is useless without the ability to rush the QB and Derrick Harvey out of Florida would fit well. The secondary has been addressed by free agency and trade. Rashard Mendenhall if available would be a good choice so would Felix Jones. The guy, I like Jonathon Stewart may be available in the second round with the toe injury.

Thanks made me laugh twice:lol:

Spartan
03-14-2008, 07:39 AM
Thanks made me laugh twice:lol:

The sad part is I was only joking once.

The lions as of today do not have players in the top half of the league as far as talent is concerned at nearly every starting position. During free agency they only sign career backups and former Bucs, and Rams for a while but that problem is gone.

QB- Kitna
TB- Bell
FB- Bradley
TE- Gaines
RT- Scott
LT- Backus
RG- Peterman

Rush End- White
Strong End- Francis
NG- Darby
SAM- Lenon
MIKE- Nobody
CB2- Wilson

None of those I listed are legit NFL starters, all are career backups or unproven young players. In the case of a MIKE linebacker, they don't even have one on the roster. Passed on trading down and getting Willis last year in the first and again missed Poslusny in the second for Stanton a QB Martz didn't even want. The sad part about this talent problem is that Jones was a cap move. With all the shit players on this roster the Lions are just 4 Million below the cap...truly pathetic.

fuji9991
03-14-2008, 09:35 AM
I am not really a football fan but I certainly wish the linos would bring some success to Detroit. Detroit is such a football town with some true diehard fans.

Honestly it seems to me that the lion's organization has no interest in winning. They are content with bringing in some fresh faces every once in a while to give the fans a crack addict like does of false hope. They must still be making money loosing so why bother with the cost and stress of building a winning franchise. Kinda like the Toronto Maple Leafs. I don't have much wagered on this turning around any time soon.

Some how I ended up at the game back in the 90's where wayne fontz took the lions to the playoffs and beat Dallas in the first round. Is that the last time the lions have had any success or have they done anything since then?

King_Killah
03-14-2008, 06:32 PM
The sad part is I was only joking once.

The lions as of today do not have players in the top half of the league as far as talent is concerned at nearly every starting position. During free agency they only sign career backups and former Bucs, and Rams for a while but that problem is gone.

QB- Kitna
TB- Bell
FB- Bradley
TE- Gaines
RT- Scott
LT- Backus
RG- Peterman

Rush End- White
Strong End- Francis
NG- Darby
SAM- Lenon
MIKE- Nobody
CB2- Wilson

None of those I listed are legit NFL starters, all are career backups or unproven young players. In the case of a MIKE linebacker, they don't even have one on the roster. Passed on trading down and getting Willis last year in the first and again missed Poslusny in the second for Stanton a QB Martz didn't even want. The sad part about this talent problem is that Jones was a cap move. With all the shit players on this roster the Lions are just 4 Million below the cap...truly pathetic.

Kitna is a career starter... He sat one season behind Palmer. I can't believe you are complaining about Kitna. Blasphemy! :lol::lol::evilgrin::evilgrin:

King_Killah
03-14-2008, 06:34 PM

There are two or three mocks that I follow that are updated regularly. That Tampa 2 - Talib is the best fit for that.

I do agree, though, that Detroit is pretty hurt right now.

Spartan
03-14-2008, 07:09 PM
Kitna is a career starter... He sat one season behind Palmer. I can't believe you are complaining about Kitna. Blasphemy! :lol::lol::evilgrin::evilgrin:

Not so much complaining about Kitna though I don't care much for him. Really if you were to inventory the problems with this team he would not even be in the top five. I stand by my point that he is certainly not in the top half of talent league wide and is past his prime (if you can prove he had one), he needs a successor soon. I love Drew Stanton he was a great Spartan, but he never made it through a Big Ten season without injury. He is a great prospect for a career back up though, he is athletic and can come in to a game and scramble around and change it up. I think starter is a stretch though, we'll see.

King_Killah
03-14-2008, 07:26 PM
Dude.... FYI: I was being sarcastic in my little speech about Kitna. I was getting a Bengals jersey made that said F* Kitna because he cost me more money than I don't know what. It truly isn't his fault since all the teams he has been on have basically been shit. For the most part. Last year's Lions team was OK. The thing that clinched him to the "F*" list is the Bengals/49ers game, I believe played in Cincinnati. The Bengals were on the 1 yard line. A QB sneak, a FB blast, a play-action, anything... They go three and out, but go for it on 4th down. Don't make it, but a defensive penalty, automatic 1st down. The same thing... 3 and out. Go for it because a FG wouldn't have mattered wasn't enough time to get the ball back and try to score again. They go for it again on 4th down. He throws a freakin' INT in the end zone. 8 freakin' tries and he ends up throwing a pick. Mother f*cker.... He cost me around $700 that day. F*cker. All I needed was the FG to cover, but no... Knowing that they would go for it... You have to figure 4 plays on the 1 yard line, one of them has to go in. They catch a break on 4th and get a fresh set of downs because of a stupid 49er play. 8 tries and nothing. Bastard!

Dubz
03-14-2008, 07:51 PM
Kitna? A pick in the red zone? Maybe thats why I call him John E Pickna.:D
He constantly drops the ball in his own red zone too.

chgorman
04-24-2008, 02:03 PM
Just had a random thought and wanted to see what fellow Lions fans think about this idea... with Shaun Alexander being released by SEA, any of you fellow Leos fans think DET should sign him, since KJ doesn't seem to be the answer and Tatum isn't an every down back, or is Alexander finished, damaged goods?

Spartan
04-24-2008, 02:08 PM
Just had a random thought and wanted to see what fellow Lions fans think about this idea... with Shaun Alexander being released by SEA, any of you fellow Leos fans think DET should sign him, since KJ doesn't seem to be the answer and Tatum isn't an every down back, or is Alexander finished, damaged goods?

Totally finished, stay away from him.

KJ has been cut BTW.

I would like to see the Lions draft a Left Tackle early then get a Ray Rice or Kevin Smith type back in round 3. Take Mendenhall if he is there at 15.

King_Killah
04-24-2008, 06:10 PM

Shaun Alexander is damaged goods, however he is better than what Detroit currently has in the backfield. KJ is gone. I would say risk it if they can get him for cheap. He no longer is the dominant back and he shouldn't command a dominant back's salary. If he does... f*ck him and look elsewhere.

Spartan -- Mendenhall will be there at 15. I love Ray Rice....I think he may be too small for the NFL though.

Dubz
04-24-2008, 07:52 PM
Surely I like the risk...but I agree with KK. Shaun will command too much salary.

Anybody else hear rumours of Roy being shipped out?

Spartan
04-24-2008, 10:24 PM
Spartan -- Mendenhall will be there at 15. I love Ray Rice....I think he may be too small for the NFL though.

I like both Mendenhall and Stewart for this teams running scheme. It's really tough to be critical of any pick at 15 short of a receiver. I just hope they don't reach instead of taking the best available player. Mendenhall would certainly be the best available there. Rumor is they like the DE Harvey and LB Mayo. Mayo would be a reach but again hard to be critical considering there is no MIKE LB on the roster. If they were smart they would target one of the O tackles. They could then move Backus to guard or right tackle where he would be an upgrade to anybody currently starting there. It would be like getting two players with one pick.;)

Surely I like the risk...but I agree with KK. Shaun will command too much salary.

Alexander would command too much from the Lions, either money they don't have or years they can afford to give. I say roll with what they have and see if you can snag a gem with one of those 3rd round picks.

According to Millen, Roy is not available. I'm not sure if he's that stupid or just driving a hard bargain. Jerry Jones said he would give one of Dallas' first rounder for him, I'd take the deal. There is no reason for a team this bad to pony up for two big time receivers, they have bigger needs elsewhere.

King_Killah
04-25-2008, 07:42 AM

I also heard that Philly is in the hunt giving up a pick and Lito Sheppard.

Spartan
04-27-2008, 05:07 PM
The Lions final pick.

Caleb Campbell S - Army

Millen's best move ever.

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?&brand=null&videoId=3361402&n8pe6c=2

Jake
04-27-2008, 05:19 PM
The Lions final pick.

Caleb Campbell S - Army

Millen's best move ever.

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?&brand=null&videoId=3361402&n8pe6c=2

Drafting a second rounder with the 17th overall pick wasnt his best move????

We suck at drafting. I HATED the Harrington and Jones picks when they happened, but I will admit I was excited about the Mike Williams a few years ago. They did NOTHING to excite me this draft. It was pretty much a waste

Spartan
04-27-2008, 05:22 PM
Drafting a second rounder with the 17th overall pick wasnt his best move????

We suck at drafting. I HATED the Harrington and Jones picks when they happened, but I will admit I was excited about the Mike Williams a few years ago. They did NOTHING to excite me this draft. It was pretty much a waste

See my post in the Winner/Loser thread. The Lions did well today, I promise you. I'm not sure they did it on purpose, but it worked out good.

King_Killah
04-27-2008, 09:59 PM
See my post in the Winner/Loser thread. The Lions did well today, I promise you. I'm not sure they did it on purpose, but it worked out good.

No....actually they didn't do well.

1 (17) - Gosder Cherilus, OT -- should have went stud running back here. No ands, ifs, buts about it. No question. They didn't. That offense is going to be one dimensional again and its going to get Kitna into trouble.

2 (45) - Jordon Dizon, LB -- OK. The Lions do need help on defense. But again, should have went running back here. They didn't. They could have gotten a running back with the first pick or second pick and still have gotten a Cherilus or Dizon type.

3 (64) - Kevin Smith, RB -- Well...this is the running back the select to replace Kevin Jones and TJ Duckett. The run is in trouble.

3 (87) - Andre Fluellen, DT -- Not a bad pick.

3 (92) - Cliff Avril, DE -- Could have gotten a better DE.

5 (136) - Kenny Moore, WR -- Its gonna be hard for this kid to get his game on when Kitna is always scrambling for his life. If a receiver was on their board, he should have been had in the late 2nd, early 3rd right.

5 (146) - Jerome Felton, FB -- Fullback! Not too many teams truly utilize the fullback anymore.

7 (216) - Landon Cohen, DT -- Nothing special.

7 (218) - Caleb Campbell, S -- This may actually be their best pick. Definitely the value is there where they got him. This kid can play. He could have, should have been a higher pick but since it is rare for a player to come out of the military, I can see why he didn't come out until the 7th.

Without really picking over each team's draft, the only team that I can say did worse at the draft is Philadelphia. Some of the picks are extremely questionable. They needed receiver help. Curtis, Brown, and the rest of that receiving corp is terrible. OK, Curtis has his moments, but he is a #3, slot receiver at best. He isn't a #1. Reggie Brown isn't a #1. Greg Lewis isn't a #1. Hank Baskett isn't a #1. DeSean Jackson isn't a #1, he's a low end #2, #3 at best as well who is going to be forced into the #1 or #2 spot.

I'll rant more on the draft tomorrow... But for now, these are my two big losers for the day.

Spartan
04-27-2008, 11:45 PM
King I think you are focusing too much on day one. This draft really fell into place for Millen. I usually rip the guy but he did well in this draft.

1 (17) - Gosder Cherilus, OT -- should have went stud running back here. No ands, ifs, buts about it. No question. They didn't. That offense is going to be one dimensional again and its going to get Kitna into trouble.

Mendenhall was the only one left, he is a junior meaning he has less than 50 games of experience high school and college. Plus Illinois plays spread option which translates to pro football as well as the left wing lock. I love his potential but he needs a year or two to fully develop. Millen and Marinelli would be long gone by then. Pittsburgh is perfect for him. Cherilus was the top RT prospect in the draft a huge upgrade from Scott/Foster. There was no MLB worth taking there, the other RBs proved to be second round talent.

2 (45) - Jordon Dizon, LB -- OK. The Lions do need help on defense. But again, should have went running back here. They didn't. They could have gotten a running back with the first pick or second pick and still have gotten a Cherilus or Dizon type.

Cherilus would have gone to Houston, Pittsburgh or the countless others that took tackles in that area he would not be there at pick 45. Consider that Atlanta paid big to get up and pick Sam Baker an inferior prospect to Cherilus that will eventually play guard. The Lions wanted Forte here but was snatched up two picks before, that is why they traded up to get Smith out of the gate Sunday.

3 (64) - Kevin Smith, RB -- Well...this is the running back the select to replace Kevin Jones and TJ Duckett. The run is in trouble.

Was the best back left here. Very productive and durable in college.

3 (87) - Andre Fluellen, DT -- Not a bad pick.

Risk/Reward pick, if the injuries don't linger then they got a future starter.

3 (92) - Cliff Avril, DE -- Could have gotten a better DE.

There is word that they might even try Avril at linebacker. He will be a project, probably check in on passing downs this year. Time will tell on this one.

5 (136) - Kenny Moore, WR -- Its gonna be hard for this kid to get his game on when Kitna is always scrambling for his life. If a receiver was on their board, he should have been had in the late 2nd, early 3rd right.

I think this guy returns kicks, which they do not have on the roster right now. They say this guy projects to a slot receiver, McDonald or Furrey a surprise cut???

5 (146) - Jerome Felton, FB -- Fullback! Not too many teams truly utilize the fullback anymore.

The Lions are not the average team, they are far worse. Right now they have a converted DT playing FB. Changing to a zone blocking run scheme demands a conventional backfield. Like Cherilus, the Lions took a positional weakness and picked a top rated prospect to step in.

7 (216) - Landon Cohen, DT -- Nothing special.

Who

7 (218) - Caleb Campbell, S -- This may actually be their best pick. Definitely the value is there where they got him. This kid can play. He could have, should have been a higher pick but since it is rare for a player to come out of the military, I can see why he didn't come out until the 7th.

Makes for a good story, if he sticks thats a jersey I would be proud to wear.

King_Killah
07-10-2008, 02:32 PM
Oh snap.............................

Oakland Raiders RB Lamont Jordan recently visited the Detroit Lions, his agent Alvin Keels said. Oakland has been trying to trade Jordan in the past month, but the visit to Detroit was the only real movement in a possible trade. However, there has been little contact between the Lions and Keels since Jordan's visit and it is unknown if the Lions will proceed in finalizing the trade.

Spartan
07-10-2008, 02:37 PM
We've got the three headed monster of Aevion Cason, Brian Calhoun and Tatum Bell for veteran backs.:rolleyes:
We don't need a guy like Jordan we're good.:yes:

King_Killah
07-10-2008, 02:41 PM
We've got the three headed monster of Aevion Cason, Brian Calhoun and Tatum Bell for veteran backs.:rolleyes:
We don't need a guy like Jordan we're good.:yes:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

You don't want Jordan!

Spartan
07-10-2008, 02:53 PM
According to that article they only want a 6th or 7th rounder for Jordan. What is his contract situation? The Lions are going to be in cap trouble soon if you can believe that.

Edit: They can't do that deal...Jordan is at 6mil including bonus and the Lions have just 4mil left and have yet to sign any rookies. Wow just wow.

King_Killah
07-10-2008, 03:38 PM
According to that article they only want a 6th or 7th rounder for Jordan. What is his contract situation? The Lions are going to be in cap trouble soon if you can believe that.

Edit: They can't do that deal...Jordan is at 6mil including bonus and the Lions have just 4mil left and have yet to sign any rookies. Wow just wow.

From what I can see, the Lions have $23.5mil in cap space...

LaMont Jordan will cost $6,106,240 if the Lions take on his salary. I don't know...I can't see the Lions shelling out $6mil for Jordan. I also just read that the Saints, Bears, and Patriots are expressing interest in him as well.

Spartan
07-10-2008, 04:06 PM
From what I can see, the Lions have $23.5mil in cap space...

LaMont Jordan will cost $6,106,240 if the Lions take on his salary. I don't know...I can't see the Lions shelling out $6mil for Jordan. I also just read that the Saints, Bears, and Patriots are expressing interest in him as well.

Nope the Leos have just 4.5 Million in cap space, 15.1 Millen in dead money (players no longer on the roster):mad:

http://www.thenetrat.com/

Dammit I hate Millen and the Ford family.

King_Killah
07-10-2008, 04:49 PM
Nope the Leos have just 4.5 Million in cap space, 15.1 Millen in dead money (players no longer on the roster):mad:

http://www.thenetrat.com/

Dammit I hate Millen and the Ford family.

Here is a little more...

http://www.ianwhetstone.com/football/DETCap.xls

The Lions are in trouble! But they can make space... Plus, regardless of what their situation is, I don't see the Lions paying Jordan $6mil.

Dubz
07-11-2008, 01:56 PM
I heard they were looking at KJ. league min.??

King_Killah
07-21-2008, 12:35 PM
Desperate times for Daunte Culpepper...

Quarterback Daunte Culpepper (http://www.footballguys.com/CulpDa00-1.php) has contacted the Detroit Lions to see if they are interested in signing a quarterback before the start of training camp. The contact by Culpepper has been confirmed by a Lions official. It is not known when Culpepper called the team's management, but it is believed to be earlier this month. There is no indication that the Lions are in the market to add a quarterback before training camp starts. Players report to the team's Allen Park headquarters on Wednesday. The first practice is Thursday morning.

Wow...the begging by Culpepper for some team to sign him is funny.

Spartan
07-21-2008, 03:22 PM
ESPN Radio is reporting the Lions are on the verge of signing Takeo Spikes.

He will add much needed depth at LB but that said he probably ends up starting for this team.

King_Killah
07-21-2008, 03:41 PM
ESPN Radio is reporting the Lions are on the verge of signing Takeo Spikes.

He will add much needed depth at LB but that said he probably ends up starting for this team.

Starting? Hmmm... I don't see him getting much playing time at all behind Ernie Sims.

Spartan
07-21-2008, 03:46 PM
Starting? Hmmm... I don't see him getting much playing time at all behind Ernie Sims.
I know I'm just being a wiseass. Truth is that he might not make the team and could be just insurance through the pre-season. Its really tough to make the roster as a backup without being a special teams contributor. The locals will go nuts over this for a while until they realize that Takeo Spikes was a different player five years ago.

Spartan
07-24-2008, 09:06 AM
Caleb Campbell must return to active duty. Army reverses its policy to allow special service.
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/07/army_shatters_campbells_nfl_dr.html

Military reverses policy, Lions lose Campbell

by Tom Kowalski Wednesday July 23, 2008, 4:01 PM

http://blog.mlive.com/lions_impact/2008/07/small_blog-080503-caleb-campbell-minicamp-drill.jpgMike Itchue | MLive.comThe Detroit Lions' seventh-round draft pick, safety Caleb Campbell, learned that he won't be able to play for the team because of a change in Army rules.
Detroit Lions coach Rod Marinelli thought the only problems he might have going into Thursday morning's first practice of training camp was the absence of his top two unsigned draft picks -- Gosder Cherilus and Jordon Dizon.
As it turns out, the Lions definitely will be without another rookie -- seventh-round draft pick Caleb Campbell.
The Lions were informed Wednesday that the Army policy of allowing cadets to play professional sports was recently superseded by a subsequent Department of Defense policy. As a result, Campbell must report back to West Point for further orders.
Marinelli talked to Campbell on Wednesday and said, "Obviously, he's disappointed.''
"Caleb is no longer eligible to play for the Detroit Lions. Nobody likes surprises, but you've just got to salute and move on,'' Marinelli said at his news conference today. "We checked (with West Point) as recently as last week and we were assured everything was fine. But that's the deal and we'll move on. I feel bad for the player. He's a heckuva guy and he's going to follow orders and do what he's supposed to do.''

While the Lions had agreed to contract terms with Campbell on a three-year deal, the Lions opted not to have him sign the contract. Lions chief operating officer Tom Lewand said the decision was made to give the team "maximum flexibility.'' (Campbell would not have been paid any portion of the contract until he made the final 53-man roster.)
The Lions retain Campbell's rights until the draft next year and can sign him at any point up until then. If he's not selected by a team in the 2009 draft, Campbell becomes a free agent. Under the current rules, Campbell would be eligible to play pro sports after fulfilling two years of active duty.
While the situation has yet to be addressed by the league, both Marinelli and Lewand said they didn't believe they would be granted a compensatory pick next season because of the Army's reversal in policy.
Marinelli said he had no idea the Army (or Department of Defense) might eventually change the policy.
"When you go to the (scouting) combine, who goes there? Draft-eligible players. When you go there, you evaluate the players who are there. They were draft-eligible players,'' Marinelli said. "Obviously, he's disappointed, but I know what he's about. He got his orders and he's ready to report and go.''

This stinks and screwed the Lions over a bit. But to be fair the kid is in the military and that is how it works. There are people in the National Guard overseas right now who are screwed over ten time worse.

I think the NFL should move to make military enlisted individuals ineligible for the draft all together. This would prevent the military from changing their mind back if they get a run of athletes they want to attempt to turn into a PR stunt again.

King_Killah
07-31-2008, 04:07 PM
In the first three days of Detroit Lions training camp, it's become apparent that Dan Orlovsky is ahead of Drew Stanton in the battle for the No. 2 quarterback job. "Dan's ahead,'' said Lions offensive coordinator Jim Colletto, who also warns there have only been three days of camp. "I'm not disappointed, we've only practiced five times. They're both going to get a lot of playing time (in preseason games).''

Well...this is for the uber-deep leagues I suppose. Or those that just track depth charts!

King_Killah
07-31-2008, 04:12 PM
Detroit Lions LB Ernie Sims was held out of Sunday afternoon practices with injuries to his right leg which he suffered during a morning drill. The team says that Sims hyperextended his knee and sprained his ankle but that the injuries are not considered serious.

For IDP leagues.

Spartan
08-18-2008, 01:37 PM
After the second preseason game, a few things are clear.

Calvin Johnson looks like he was expected to coming out last year. He could come up huge this year and make Roy expendable.

Cherilus and Dizon can play and should start from week one.

Kevin Smith will start but will need a complimentary back in the future. He has limitations.

Drew Stanton is better than Dan Orlovsky and needs playing time. He should supplant Kitna as soon as the season is a loss.(probably week 9 or 10)

chgorman
08-18-2008, 01:52 PM
After the second preseason game, a few things are clear.

Calvin Johnson looks like he was expected to coming out last year. He could come up huge this year and make Roy expendable.

Cherilus and Dizon can play and should start from week one.

Kevin Smith will start but will need a complimentary back in the future. He has limitations.

Drew Stanton is better than Dan Orlovsky and needs playing time. He should supplant Kitna as soon as the season is a loss.(probably week 9 or 10)

But what about Kitna's perfect passer rating through 2 preseason games? :lol::lol: That's gotta count for something, right? I mean, if he's playing this well in preseason, just imagine how well he'll do when the games actually count! :lol::lol:... heh.... :blah: hmm.... :\....:rolleyes:

dw13
08-18-2008, 03:50 PM
What limitations does Kevin Smith have?

Spartan
08-18-2008, 04:29 PM
What limitations does Kevin Smith have?Not so much in his running game. He is already clearly better than Bell within the system. But as far as a playmaking option the Lions don't have an answer there. Smith is not really a pass catcher but you can see he doesn't have the quickness to get open if he could catch. I would really like to see a more diversified back on the roster to help Smith out and give a different look. They don't have that now, the backups are all similar or special teams specialists.

King_Killah
08-22-2008, 10:39 AM
Detroit Lions QB Drew Stanton hit his right thumb on a helmet during this morning's practice and had his thumb wrapped in ice after the workout. Stanton said X-rays had already been taken and it wasn't believed to be broken. Stanton was to undergo more tests and the Lions say an update on Stanton's injury will be announced tomorrow. "I don't think it's anything major. I'm just trying to keep the swelling down," Stanton said. When asked if he's expecting to play in Saturday's preseason game against the Cleveland Browns, he said, "I'm planning on it."

Speaking of Stanton, last year there was incredible hype over Jon Kitna, and this year practically nothing... I guess when you come out and guarantee 10-6 and fail to get it... People fade... Oh yeah... F* Kitna! :lol:

Spartan
08-22-2008, 10:47 AM
Speaking of Stanton, last year there was incredible hype over Jon Kitna, and this year practically nothing... I guess when you come out and guarantee 10-6 and fail to get it... People fade... Oh yeah... F* Kitna! :lol:That was created in part because of Martz calling him the best QB he has coached ... blah blah blah. Stanton moves the chains thats whats important.

Spartan
08-22-2008, 12:31 PM
Stanton out one month, thumb surgery.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080822/SPORTS0101/808220428

chgorman
08-22-2008, 12:32 PM
Rotoworld is saying Stanton is in a cast and won't be playing for at least 4 weeks.

Drew Stanton (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=4179)-QB- Lions (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_news.aspx?sport=NFL&majteam=DET)Aug. 22 - 11:55 am ethttp://www.rotoworld.com/images/right_corner_player_news.gifhttp://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gifhttp://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gifhttp://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gifhttp://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif
Drew Stanton is out four weeks after banging his thumb on a teammate's shoulder pad during practice on Thursday.
Stanton didn't fracture anything, but doctors immobilized the finger with a precautionary cast that won't come off for a month. The Lions' No. 3 QB will be back by Week 4, but this is disappointing. Stanton was blazing hot in the preseason and could've passed Dan Orlovsky to be Jon Kitna's backup.
Source: MLive.com (http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/08/lions_stanton_sidelined_for_fo.html)
Related: Dan Orlovsky (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_relatednews.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3227)

Spartan
08-23-2008, 10:50 AM
Looks like Stanton's job is safe. Two sport failure Drew Henson has been brought in to fill out the camp roster.

This is what I hate about the Lions. As much as I like Stanton he has never played a down with this team, Dan O has played maybe a dozen over like four years. This team is not talented enough to bring in a camp player. Hell bring in Jeff George or Vinny Testaverde at least someone with a sliver of credibility to have a look at going forward. They did the same with running backs not even looking at Alexander or Duckett, its tough to think they could be less crappy than Pinner and Bell.

Millen has zero credibility to be so arrogant about his talent evaluations.

Dubz
08-23-2008, 07:11 PM
I caught that TD run by Smith today while on break at work:DAh sometimes things are good.

dw13
08-23-2008, 07:12 PM
24K is gonna be good for you guys. Not going to lie.

MrScientist
08-23-2008, 07:46 PM
24K is gonna be good for you guys. Not going to lie.

Pardon my possible obliviousness, but who is 24K?

dw13
08-23-2008, 07:49 PM
Pardon my possible obliviousness, but who is 24K?

Was his nickname at UCF last year(I was in grad school there). I know he doesn't wear 24 anymore but :D

24K = Kevin Smith

MrScientist
08-25-2008, 09:29 PM
Was his nickname at UCF last year(I was in grad school there). I know he doesn't wear 24 anymore but :D

24K = Kevin Smith

Ah gotcha

King_Killah
09-01-2008, 10:48 AM
Free-agent running back Rudi Johnson (http://www.footballguys.com/JohnRu00-1.php) is scheduled to visit the Detroit Lions Sunday night. Johnson was released by the Bengals on Saturday.

That could work out.

two24four
09-01-2008, 06:01 PM
Lions signed RB Rudi Johnson to a one-year contract.

If Rudi is to rejuvenate his career ala Jamal Lewis, this was the best place to do it. His addition may spell the end of Tatum Bell, who will be third string at best. Johnson probably won't be up to speed in the offense enough to carry it more than five times in Week 1, but will eventually be a big threat to Kevin Smith if Rudi stays healthy. He can be grabbed in all leagues.
Source: MLive.com (http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/09/rudi_johnson_signs_with_lions.html)

beanz
09-01-2008, 06:04 PM
well, looks like we lions fans might actually have a running game to watch this season...maybe....

Dubz
09-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Now I look like some sort of guru in my league. I suggested this during our draft the other day. I knew there was an outside chance. Lets see how this pans out...Im pretty sure he has good character.

King_Killah
09-02-2008, 05:30 AM
The question isn't is run game or ability, its a matter of whether he can stay healthy now.

chgorman
09-02-2008, 09:34 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

This can't be for real....

(from rotoworld)

Rudi Johnson-RB- Lions Sep. 2 - 9:32 pm et

According to ProFootballTalk.com, Tatum Bell made off with Rudi Johnson's bags Monday while Rudi was in Matt Millen's office.
Seriously. Upon finding the items missing, the Lions checked video surveillance and found Bell doing his best cookie crook impression. Bell took the bags to a female acquaintance and asked her to keep them for awhile. Johnson has since retrieved the bags and charges will not be pressed. No word yet on whether Bell fumbled the leather items as he made his way down the crowded hallway.

dw13
09-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Hahaha, that's great.. Atta boy Tatum.

Spartan
09-02-2008, 10:10 PM
That will help in his job search. The CFL is calling...

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
09-02-2008, 10:22 PM

(from rotoworld)

According to ProFootballTalk.com, Tatum Bell made off with Rudi Johnson's bags Monday while Rudi was in Matt Millen's office.
Seriously. Upon finding the items missing, the Lions checked video surveillance and found Bell doing his best cookie crook impression. Bell took the bags to a female acquaintance and asked her to keep them for awhile. Johnson has since retrieved the bags and charges will not be pressed. No word yet on whether Bell fumbled the leather items as he made his way down the crowded hallway.

hahah!

chgorman
09-03-2008, 10:29 AM
:lol::lol:

(from rotoworld)

I guess it's for real, 'cause rotoworld is reporting on it again today :lol:

Tatum Bell (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2665)-RB- Lions (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_news.aspx?sport=NFL&majteam=DET)Sep. 3 - 9:59 am ethttp://www.rotoworld.com/images/right_corner_player_news.gifhttp://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gifhttp://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gifhttp://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gifhttp://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif
Profootball.com writes that Tatum Bell reportedly stole Rudi Johnson's bags when the two crossed paths in Detroit Monday.
Rudi apparently left his bags outside Matt Millen's office during a meeting, then they disappeared. Millen checked security tapes and saw usurped running back Bell lift the bags. They tracked Bell down elsewhere, retrieved the bags, and decided not to press charges. Bell is even worse at crime than he is at running.

:lol::lol: BURN! Tatum and Clarrett should team up and wreak some REAL criminal havoc!

beanz
09-03-2008, 01:24 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

just read it and was gonna post it but if its online its already on HI:D

damn that is some dumb shit on TBell's part:lol: he couldn't even escape with some bags, does he really think he can carry a football? overrated and glad he will be gone from detroit soon. he makes the people of detroit embarrassed in a city that takes pride in its crime. He should join Kwame's crew, they're a bunch of failures like he is!

chgorman
09-03-2008, 02:12 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

just read it and was gonna post it but if its online its already on HI:D

damn that is some dumb shit on TBell's part:lol: he couldn't even escape with some bags, does he really think he can carry a football? overrated and glad he will be gone from detroit soon. he makes the people of detroit embarrassed in a city that takes pride in its crime. He should join Kwame's crew, they're a bunch of failures like he is!

What I can't believe is why they didn't charge him?!?! They caught him red-handed, on tape, and it's not like they're hoping to part ways amicably in case of a possible return. I don't understand it... the guy obviously has issues... maybe a stay in the clink would be good for him, smarten him up a bit once he's gotta carry his cellmate's/inmate's balls instead of a football.

Spartan
09-03-2008, 02:16 PM
More from Tom Kowalski

Rudi on Bell: 'Shyster, conniving stuff'

by Tom Kowalski Wednesday September 03, 2008, 2:11 PM

While the Detroit Lions organization might not have anything to say about the bizarre incident surrounding former running back Tatum Bell, current Lions running back Rudi Johnson had plenty to say.
According to Johnson, Bell took two of Johnson's duffel bags from the Lions locker room on Monday and, when they were returned by another party on Tuesday, almost everything was missing.
"Underwear, socks, credit cards and money. He left my money clip with no money in it,'' said Johnson, adding that about $200 was missing. "He should've taken the clip, too. It's quite stupid if you ask me.''
Bell was not available for comment and his agent could not be reached.
Johnson was signed by the Lions on Monday and then the Lions released Tatum Bell. Johnson said he didn't know who took his duffel bags until he saw a surveillance tape from inside the Lions facility. He said he saw Bell take his bags.
"All of this happened after he got released and came in and got some stuff out of his locker,'' Johnson said. "That's when he scooped the bags up, some real shyster, conniving stuff.''
Johnson said he would not involve the police.
"I'm not going to the police for this one,'' he said. "I don't need anybody else, I can handle it.''
Johnson left his duffel bags in the Lions locker room on Monday and went upstairs to talk to Lions president Matt Millen. When Johnson returned to the locker room, the bags were missing. He and Millen searched the building for the bags but couldn't find them.
On Tuesday, after speaking to reporters -- when he recounted a pleasant conversation he had had with Bell -- Johnson saw the videotape. An unidentified woman apparently returned the bags to the Lions offices and Johnson then confronted Bell.
"He tried to make up some excuse, he tried to blame it on somebody else so I didn't try to entertain something that didn't make any sense,'' Johnson said. "He tried to make up an excuse. He said some girl had got it and took it to somebody's house. The story didn't make any sense so I didn't pay it any attention.
"He knows how I feel about it, trust me. He knows how I feel about it and it's nothing positive. He said it was a mixup. It is what it is.''
The Lions had issued a statement earlier in the day on Wednesday saying the club would have no comment on the situation.

chgorman
09-03-2008, 02:25 PM
Rudi shoulda just flat out knocked his block off on the spot while he was confornting him. I don't think anybody woulda blamed him for doing it, lol. Rudi isn't huge, but I think he's noticeably bigger than Taint Bell, isn't he?

Spartan
09-07-2008, 10:33 PM
http://www.cooqy.com/blog/images/shame.jpg

King_Killah
09-07-2008, 10:54 PM
Sorry to ruin your day! Hahah... Go Falcons!

MrScientist
09-14-2008, 12:13 PM
Dear Roy Williams,

Don't call out the team and then drop a pass like that. Thanks.

FlyGuy78
09-14-2008, 01:05 PM
Is Rodgers really this good or is DET that bad? This kid is making Cheese heads forget #4 real quick!

MrScientist
09-14-2008, 01:10 PM
Is Rodgers really this good or is DET that bad? This kid is making Cheese heads forget #4 real quick!

Rodgers has made a couple of real nice plays, but he wouldn't have 3 TD's already against a real defense.

Dubz
09-14-2008, 07:08 PM

Week 2

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
09-14-2008, 07:20 PM

:lol:

Spartan
09-15-2008, 12:27 AM
The Detroilions.com Message Boards have been suspended until further notice. Posts consisting of profane and unacceptable language and references were increasing in frequency. In addition to these types of posts, fraudulent posts by individuals announcing that they were someone representing the Detroit Lions organization were also frequently occurring.

Due to the increasing amount of resources required to monitor this situation and because of the possibility of young Lions’ fans being exposed to such posts, it was in the best interest of Detroitlions.com and the Detroit Lions to discontinue offering the Message Boards on the team’s Internet site at this time.
Message boards are intended to provide a forum to our fans to discuss the many issues surrounding the Detroit Lions and the National Football League. Once individuals use the message boards for such purposes other than to communicate appropriately with other fans about the Lions or the NFL, then the intended values of this forum is no longer valuable to Lions’ fans or to the organization.
We appreciate the many fans over the past few years who have been regular visitors and provided posts with great insight, opinions and thoughts about the Lions, and those who have done this appropriately. We hope to be able to resume the message boards in the future. Thank you

They probably jam their fingers in their ears and scream LALALALALALA! to avoid criticism as well.

Spartan
09-17-2008, 07:30 AM
Steven A. Smith

"This team is just atrocious and Matt Millen is a walking football atrocity. He is the worst executive, in my opinion, in the history of team sports. "He is flat-out garbage. The fact that he is allowed to have a job, the fact that he is allowed to walk though the streets of Detroit to enter Ford Field is an abomination in and of itself.
"(Millen) is clueless, he doesn't know what he's doing. Until they get rid of him, we're going to be saying that a whole bunch of people look good when they play the Detroit Lions."

chgorman
09-17-2008, 08:18 AM
... and now Millen is looking at signing Ced Benson or Shaun Alexander :rolleyes: what a joke of a GM.

King_Killah
09-17-2008, 08:21 AM
... and now Millen is looking at signing Ced Benson or Shaun Alexander :rolleyes: what a joke of a GM.

A little more...

In a report by News 8 Austin, a 24-hour news channel in Texas, Austin city
council member Mike Martinez and Benson, a former Texas Longhorns back, were
supposed to announce a program by Benson's charity to help children get winter
coats, but Benson was not in Austin for the announcement.

"Unfortunately, but fortunately, Cedric Benson is not here today," he said. "He
is actually signing a contract today to get back in the game with the Detroit
Lions and the reason why that's a good thing is that the foundation will continue
to grow as long as Cedric continues to do what he does on the field."

Crowded backfield in Detroit all of the sudden... But let's look at it...

Kevin Smith

Rudi Johnson

Taint Bell/Cedric Benson

chgorman
09-17-2008, 08:25 AM
Taint isn't with 'em anymore, is he? I thought they cut him to make room for Rudi?

Spartan
09-17-2008, 08:26 AM
Taint isn't with 'em anymore, is he? I thought they cut him to make room for Rudi?Yep remember he stole Rudi's bags on the way out the door.:lol:

King_Killah
09-17-2008, 02:40 PM
Yep remember he stole Rudi's bags on the way out the door.:lol:

That's right!!! Hahaha... That f*cker!

Spartan
09-22-2008, 05:09 PM
Bill Ford Jr.: I'd fire Millen if I ran the Lions

BY TOM WALSH • FREE PRESS BUSINESS COLUMNIST • September 22, 2008

Detroit Lions vice chairman Bill Ford Jr., at a Detroit Economic Club event Monday, had this to say in response to a reporter’s question about the Lions game on Sunday:
“It was an embarrassment, the fans deserve better, and if I had the authority, I would have fired the general manager,” Matt Millen, Ford said.

When asked again a few minutes later if he would fire Millen, he said, “Yes, but I don’t have that authority.”

The Lions are 0-3. Their latest loss was a 31-13 defeat at San Francisco

Cool dude, now go to Florida and smother the old man under his pillow.

Dubz
09-22-2008, 05:21 PM
Cool dude, now go to Florida and smother the old man under his pillow.

I just read this...Its a start

King_Killah
09-24-2008, 11:37 AM
Wishes granted?

FOXSports.com and WDFN (1130 AM) is reporting that the Lions have removed team
president and GM Matt Millen from his post, ending one of the most criticized
tenures in Detroit sports history.
Millen was informed of the move last night during a late-night high-level meeting.
This morning several people within the building confirmed that he had large
packing boxes in his office.
It is unclear if Millen was fired or removed himself from the equation but the
news comes just days after Bill Ford, Jr. publicly stated he would have fired the
GM if it was his decision but he lacked the authority to do so.
Phone messages left with Millen, head coach Rod Marinelli and other team officials
were not answered.

chgorman
09-24-2008, 11:48 AM
WOO HOO!!! Finally!!!!!

As A Fins and Lions fan, good news has been few and far between for me lately. With Millen being ousted and MIA beating the Pats, I'm havin' a pretty good week!

So, any rumors regarding Millen's replacement? Hopefully it's somebody who actually has a clue....

Spartan
09-24-2008, 12:23 PM
Step 1 complete. Now hopefully the Ford family goes to the NFL and asks for help in finding a capable replacement. If it was good for Wellington Mara then it is fine for William Clay Ford as well.

I would praise this as a good move if it were 2005.

FlyGuy78
09-24-2008, 01:25 PM
For you Lions fans, does this spark anything in the players? Did they hate him as much as the fans? I'm just asking because I was thinking about trading Santonio Holmes for Roy Williams in one of my leagues, but I'm not so sure if I can trust the Lions?

King_Killah
09-24-2008, 02:09 PM
For you Lions fans, does this spark anything in the players? Did they hate him as much as the fans? I'm just asking because I was thinking about trading Santonio Holmes for Roy Williams in one of my leagues, but I'm not so sure if I can trust the Lions?

If Kitna gets hurt/goes out who will get Williams the ball??? I might hold off on that deal for the time being. Then again, Shitna is back the the F* Kitna days. Maybe they could use a change and put in Orlovsky or Stanton.

Snippet from Roy Williams -
There are times when a player wants to say the right thing, wants to be a good soldier, and doesn't want to upset the apple cart ... but you can still feel the discontent oozing off of his words. This is one such example.
Lions wide receiver Roy Williams was asked (http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/09/roy_williams_takes_another_sho.html) about Bill Ford Jr. saying that he'd fire Matt Millen (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Lions-owner-s-son-joins-in-on-the-quot-FIRE-MIL?urn=nfl,109620):

"And if I was the offensive coordinator, I'd be in four-wides. It means nothing. Everybody has their opinions.''
Asked a bit later if the team would consider using four wide receiver sets more often, Williams said this:

"That's not our philosophy. We'll get behind and then we'll get in it and go down and score and cut into the lead a little bit.''
Ohhhh, so that's the philosophy. Give up a huge lead, then get four of your most talented players on the field, cut into the lead, and then lose anyway. That explains so much. And if that's what you're trying to accomplish, Matt Millen, I owe you an apology, sir. So far, your '08 campaign has been a grand success.
When you hear the Lions say, "We'd like to focus on establishing a running game," it sounds like a good idea. Everyone needs a good running game, right?
But you look at the roster, and at wide receiver, you see Roy Williams (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players?type=lastname&first=1&query=Roy+Williams&q=Roy+Williams) and Calvin Johnson (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/8256/), two guys with superstar skill sets, and behind them, Mike Furrey (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6612/) and Shaun McDonald (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6442/), both of whom have proven that they can be productive players.
And at running back, you see a couple of rookies and Rudi Johnson (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5548/), who the inept Cincinnati Bengals (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/cin/) cut in favor Chris Perry (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6785/), who is averaging 3.0 yards per carry.
You're 0-3. You're again a laughingstock. Maybe it's time to explore the option of getting your best players on the field at the same time.

Spartan
09-24-2008, 02:56 PM
WOO HOO!!! Finally!!!!!

So, any rumors regarding Millen's replacement? Hopefully it's somebody who actually has a clue....Osgood ;)

September 24, Detroit Free Press (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080924/BLOG09/80924067/1048/sports): The very ambitious Red Wings goaltender was keen to hear the news about the Lions firing Matt Millen this morning before practice at Joe Louis Arena. Osgood added it to the list of jobs he's considering, which includes mayor of Plymouth, spokesmodel for Bowflex, and Tigers bullpen catcher.
"I've got so much I want to accomplish before I'm 40," he said.
Osgood is turning 36 in November.

chgorman
09-24-2008, 03:27 PM
Osgood ;)
September 24, Detroit Free Press (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080924/BLOG09/80924067/1048/sports): The very ambitious Red Wings goaltender was keen to hear the news about the Lions firing Matt Millen this morning before practice at Joe Louis Arena. Osgood added it to the list of jobs he's considering, which includes mayor of Plymouth, spokesmodel for Bowflex, and Tigers bullpen catcher.

"I've got so much I want to accomplish before I'm 40," he said.

Osgood is turning 36 in November.

:lol::lol: That's awesome! Gotta love Oz!

Sounds like a plan. Couldn't possibly do any worse than Millen.

Jake
09-24-2008, 07:54 PM
I was so happy to hear this news today!!!!!!!:beer::beer::beer::beer:

King_Killah
09-24-2008, 08:03 PM
So I was listening to one of the Sports shows on Sirius Satellite Radio and they were talking with some guys from Detroit who are pretty close to the situation and there is a lot more going on than just Millen getting fired, at least this is what it sounds like as of now.

Marinelli is on his way out. Fords are understanding that the players will likely not back Marinelli since the guy who hired him just got fired.

Detroit is pushing for Bill Cowher. Cowher has expressed interest but will only come back if he gets GM, Director of player Personnel, and head coach. He wants complete control and authority to run the team the way he sees fit and to not have Bill Ford, Sr. or BF, Jr. interrupt and try to insert themselves like they did with Millen. He also wants to be sure that both Bill Ford Sr. AND Bill Ford Jr. want him for the fact tht Sr. isn't going to be around much longer.

Roy Williams may be out of town sooner than you think. Dallas looks like the landing spot for him. Jerry Jones has expressed extreme interest in acquiring Roy Williams. Detroit can't afford to pay Williams $10mil and Calvin Johnson close to that neighbor when his current contract is up. So Williams was going to walk as an FA or get the Franchise tagged slapped on him, then get traded away. Looks like Detroit may be moving him sooner. Its not too often that you see NFL trades during the season (or even at all with free agency) but from what I was hearing it sounds like this could happen.

Wow..... Detroit is in a shitstorm.... If they can secure Cowher, that is huge for that organization because he won't take no shit. We'll see what happens.

Dubz
09-24-2008, 08:44 PM
So I was listening to one of the Sports shows on Sirius Satellite Radio and they were talking with some guys from Detroit who are pretty close to the situation and there is a lot more going on than just Millen getting fired, at least this is what it sounds like as of now.

Marinelli is on his way out. Fords are understanding that the players will likely not back Marinelli since the guy who hired him just got fired.

Detroit is pushing for Bill Cowher. Cowher has expressed interest but will only come back if he gets GM, Director of player Personnel, and head coach. He wants complete control and authority to run the team the way he sees fit and to not have Bill Ford, Sr. or BF, Jr. interrupt and try to insert themselves like they did with Millen. He also wants to be sure that both Bill Ford Sr. AND Bill Ford Jr. want him for the fact tht Sr. isn't going to be around much longer.

Roy Williams may be out of town sooner than you think. Dallas looks like the landing spot for him. Jerry Jones has expressed extreme interest in acquiring Roy Williams. Detroit can't afford to pay Williams $10mil and Calvin Johnson close to that neighbor when his current contract is up. So Williams was going to walk as an FA or get the Franchise tagged slapped on him, then get traded away. Looks like Detroit may be moving him sooner. Its not too often that you see NFL trades during the season (or even at all with free agency) but from what I was hearing it sounds like this could happen.

Wow..... Detroit is in a shitstorm.... If they can secure Cowher, that is huge for that organization because he won't take no shit. We'll see what happens.

OK it hard for me to believe this BS....If it wasnt you KK id surely be offended. The Roy Williams thing seems plausible but Cowher becoming a Lion...HELL NO. Dont get me wrong i would really like it but ...cmon. That aint hapnin'

Spartan
09-24-2008, 08:56 PM
Cowher will end up in Cleveland.

FlyGuy78
09-24-2008, 08:56 PM
I could see Cowher in DET and if I were a Lions fan, and don't be mistaken, I'M NOT A LIONS FAN, I would be campaigning for Cowher in DET. He is one of my favorite coaches of all time. The guy knows how to win and has the greatest pissed off faces you see in the NFL. I do believe with what KK said in that he would only want the job if he had full control, which lets face it, he deserves.

Roy Williams to DAL would be interesting.

chgorman
09-24-2008, 09:36 PM
Roy Williams to DAL would be interesting.

Yeah, cause then they'd have two :lol::lol:

two24four
09-25-2008, 01:09 AM
Not sure how true this is, but I heard a little rumour tonight on the radio that the Pats are trying to get Kitna for the rest of this season, not sure what I think of that.

Spartan
09-25-2008, 07:23 AM
Not sure how true this is, but I heard a little rumour tonight on the radio that the Pats are trying to get Kitna for the rest of this season, not sure what I think of that.I heard the same but would not expect any roster moves at this point. Apparently the Lions will go to the league for help so a new GM won't happen until after this season. Roster moves will be the decision of the new GM. Roy and Kitna will stay put for now.

dw13
09-25-2008, 04:56 PM
Pats have to find a chump QB so they can show him the Library... Kitna wouldn't spill the beans I don't think, the dudes a loser so... Good idea by the Pats.

King_Killah
09-27-2008, 10:03 AM
I heard the same but would not expect any roster moves at this point. Apparently the Lions will go to the league for help so a new GM won't happen until after this season. Roster moves will be the decision of the new GM. Roy and Kitna will stay put for now.

I don't know.... I heard more about the Detroit drama, and it seems like moves are pretty imminent in the very near future. We'll see what happens.

tets
09-27-2008, 01:53 PM
The lions or the pats should go after Bulger.....apparently he doesnt want to play for Linehan anymore since he was benched. If I were him I wouldnt want to either.

two24four
09-27-2008, 02:24 PM
The lions or the pats should go after Bulger.....apparently he doesnt want to play for Linehan anymore since he was benched. If I were him I wouldnt want to either.

I heard something about this as well, S-Jax is also upset with the coaches for benching Bulger, S-Jax also said he know's for a fact that Bulger is not happy with the coaching staff after this, and he's not sure if Bulger would play for STL again if/when Green does not cut it as the starting QB.

Dubz
10-01-2008, 07:17 PM
"If I do sit and have to watch the rest of the season, oh, I'm not going to be happy," Smith said. "At all. I'm not going to be happy at all."

dw13
10-02-2008, 09:09 PM
"If I do sit and have to watch the rest of the season, oh, I'm not going to be happy," Smith said. "At all. I'm not going to be happy at all."

Is that from my boy 24Kevin Smith?

Dubz
10-02-2008, 09:25 PM
You would think they would want to keep him happy :dunno:

dw13
10-02-2008, 09:29 PM
You would think they would want to keep him happy :dunno:

Yeah really... put him in Green and White please :lol:

Spartan
10-03-2008, 07:33 AM
You would think they would want to keep him happy :dunno:He's a third rounder, that's accomplished nothing besides running his mouth to this point. He's got to earn it.

dw13
10-03-2008, 11:49 AM
He's a third rounder, that's accomplished nothing besides running his mouth to this point. He's got to earn it.

You really expect your rookie back to earn it behind that O line, with that QB? You need to keep the kid happy, hes one of the few bright spots for the future.

Spartan
10-14-2008, 09:47 AM
Per Tom Kowalski's blog:

The Lions have already decided to put Kitna on the IR. But are holding off because there is trade interest from the Cowboys and Martz's Niners.

Two down one to go to put this era away.:beer:

FlyGuy78
10-14-2008, 09:50 AM
Why would the Niners want Shitna? I would rather play JTO than Shitna!!

Spartan
10-14-2008, 03:06 PM
Roy Williams traded to Dallas for a first rounder, and a third and a sixth pick. WOW!

Martin Mayhew for GM!

MrScientist
10-14-2008, 03:20 PM
Roy Williams traded to Dallas for a first rounder, and a third and a sixth pick. WOW!

Martin Mayhew for GM!

I read a 2nd rounder in 09 and a 2nd in 10. Source? Nowhere "official" has anything up yet.

Spartan
10-14-2008, 03:22 PM
I read a 2nd rounder in 09 and a 2nd in 10. Source? Nowhere "official" has anything up yet.Was just confirmed by the Dallas Morning News. They're talking about it on 97.1 right now. I can't believe they got half a draft out of dallas.

MrScientist
10-14-2008, 03:25 PM
Was just confirmed by the Dallas Morning News. They're talking about it on 97.1 right now. I can't believe they got half a draft out of dallas.

Roy is a talented receiver, but I was getting tired of him being a little bitch this year. Great deal for us depending on the players we get from it.

FlyGuy78
10-14-2008, 03:26 PM
If DAL really gave up a 1st, 3rd, and 6th........Jerry Jones should join Grandpa Al for medication time!

Spartan
10-14-2008, 03:31 PM
Dallas Cowboys acquire WR Roy Williams from Lions

03:24 PM CDT on Tuesday, October 14, 2008

By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News
tarcher@dallasnews.com IRVING – Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones made no secret he wanted to add a receiver opposite Terrell Owens in the off-season. It just took until the final moments before the trade deadline to get it done.
The Cowboys on Tuesday acquired UT-ex Roy Williams from Detroit for first-, third- and sixth-round picks in 2009 while the Lions will kick back their seventh-rounder in 2009. The deal took place moments before the 3 p.m. trade deadline.

MrScientist
10-14-2008, 03:33 PM
There's the snag. Why give a 7th rounder? We need another Ramzee Robinson :p

1,500 :)

King_Killah
10-14-2008, 03:33 PM
Three picks, '09 1st, '09 3rd, and '09 6th for Roy Williams and an '09 7th.

So basically, the 6th and 7th is a wash. So Williams for a 1st and 3rd. It's OK. Not the end of the world.

That is a pretty banging offense. Yeah, sure Romo is out for 4 weeks, but one of Owens, Williams, Witten has to be open if they aren't running Barber/Jones. I think Fly could spot one of those guys.

It's definitely a win the Bowl now trade.

As far as Shitna goes. IR. Done for the season. Orlovsky sucks. Start Stanton.

two24four
10-14-2008, 03:55 PM
Great deal for DET IMO, now you guys should be able to draft a good QB as well as another good player at another postion all in the 1st round, mind you DAL 1st round pick will be a late 1st round pick.

Spartan
10-14-2008, 04:10 PM
Great deal for DET IMO, now you guys should be able to draft a good QB as well as another good player at another postion all in the 1st round, mind you DAL 1st round pick will be a late 1st round pick.No doubt, a competent GM should be able to pull in a half a dozen starters from the upcoming draft.

Dubz
10-14-2008, 06:55 PM
Thats more than he was worth.... I heard there were other teams involved so Dallas was forced to pony up.

I agree with KK get Stanton in there.

Jake
10-15-2008, 09:11 AM
This trade, Kitna done for the year, and Millen canned!?!?!?!?!?!?!? This is WAAAAAYYYYYY too good to be true for us Lions fans, they will mess it up somehow-I have faith

Spartan
10-16-2008, 04:04 PM
Thats more than he was worth.... I heard there were other teams involved so Dallas was forced to pony up.

I agree with KK get Stanton in there.Not yet, we need a little more of this..
http://cmsimg.freep.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=C4&Date=20081016&Category=SPORTS01&ArtNo=810160410&Ref=AR&Profile=1049&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0

FlyGuy78
10-16-2008, 04:42 PM
he should be benched (hell, thrown out of the league by his own teammates) for a play like that. it's like he didn't even know that stepping out of bounds was a safety!!

We may have a new picture to put in the Dictionary when NITBAG gets put in there! :D

WinnipegWingnut
10-16-2008, 04:46 PM
So does this mean MacDonald see's a lot more passes tossed his way and becomes Detroits top receiver??

MrScientist
10-16-2008, 04:48 PM
So does this mean MacDonald see's a lot more passes tossed his way and becomes Detroits top receiver??

He might take Roy's spot on the right side, but Johnson will see more IMO

FlyGuy78
10-16-2008, 06:04 PM
the order will be CJ, McDonald, Furrey I would assume.

two24four
10-16-2008, 11:38 PM

CJ is the #1 WR by far now in DET.

WinnipegWingnut
10-17-2008, 02:08 PM
CJ is the #1 WR by far now in DET.

Ahhh nuts... so fantasy wise does MacDonald have any value?

Spartan
10-20-2008, 10:59 AM
C'mon Dallas keep the meltdown rolling...

MrScientist
10-26-2008, 10:41 AM
Is the Lions game blacked out today? I know there was a threat, but I never heard for sure.

Spartan
10-26-2008, 10:43 AM
Is the Lions game blacked out today? I know there was a threat, but I never heard for sure.Yes blacked out.

MrScientist
10-26-2008, 10:50 AM
Yes blacked out.

So do we another game in its place or an infomercial?

MrScientist
10-26-2008, 12:07 PM
Update: Random movie FTW :rolleyes:

King_Killah
10-27-2008, 07:17 AM
Update: Random movie FTW :rolleyes:

...and to think there was a shot at winning this game.

two24four
10-27-2008, 12:12 PM
Looks like the battle for 1st pick overall is on, DET or CIN, who will it be? hmmm

Spartan
10-27-2008, 12:30 PM
Looks like the battle for 1st pick overall is on, DET or CIN, who will it be? hmmm

Bengals:
Jacksonville - No Way
Philly - No Way
@ Pittsburgh - No Way
Baltimore - Nope
@ Indy - No
Washington - No
@ Cleveland - No
KC - This is it if it's gonna happen.

Leos:
@ Chicago - No
Jacksonville - No Way
@ Carolina - No
Tampa - No
Tennessee - No
Minnesota - This is the only possibility.
@ Indy - No
New Orleans - Nope
@ Green Bay - No chance

In conclusion too close to call.
You don't want first pick in this draft just like last year. There is no clear game changer in this draft. Any pick in the top ten-ish will get a nice player. The higher you pick the more you have to pay that player.:(

two24four
10-27-2008, 12:43 PM
Bengals:
Jacksonville - No Way
Philly - No Way
@ Pittsburgh - No Way
Baltimore - Nope
@ Indy - No
Washington - No
@ Cleveland - No
KC - This is it if it's gonna happen.

Leos:
@ Chicago - No
Jacksonville - No Way
@ Carolina - No
Tampa - No
Tennessee - No
Minnesota - This is the only possibility.
@ Indy - No
New Orleans - Nope
@ Green Bay - No chance

In conclusion too close to call.
You don't want first pick in this draft just like last year. There is no clear game changer in this draft. Any pick in the top ten-ish will get a nice player. The higher you pick the more you have to pay that player.:(

So true, just for the record, I dont see DET beating Minny, so they could just end up 0-16, leave it too DET to maybe have a chance at 1st overall when there really is no game changer coming out this season, to bad for you guys that Colt McCoy is staying for another season at Texas.

You guys need a QB pretty bad, so maybe going after someone like Sam Bradford, Mark Sanchez or Matthew Stafford would not be a bad idea, if they come out this season.

Spartan
10-27-2008, 12:59 PM
So true, just for the record, I dont see DET beating Minny, so they could just end up 0-16, leave it too DET to maybe have a chance at 1st overall when there really is no game changer coming out this season, to bad for you guys that Colt McCoy is staying for another season at Texas.

You guys need a QB pretty bad, so maybe going after someone like Sam Bradford, Mark Sanchez or Matthew Stafford would not be a bad idea, if they come out this season.No on Sanchez or Stafford at #1 or#2, they are not good enough to justify the contract they would receive.

The Lions should be targeting Left Tackles Michael Oher, Eugene Monroe or Andre Smith in that order with their first pick. The pick from Dallas should be the best available defensive end.

I do like Sam Bradford as an NFL prospect and would have to take him if he was there. But there is a nice class of QB's in the 2010 draft class. If you build correctly this year the pieces would be in place for a rookie QB to come in and stand a chance.

Spartan
10-27-2008, 11:17 PM
Roy Williams attends Lions' Halloween party

by Tom Kowalski Monday October 27, 2008, 8:21 PM

UPDATED AT 10:00 p.m.
Former Detroit receiver Roy Williams, who was traded to the Dallas Cowboys two weeks ago, attended the Lions players' Halloween party this evening. Williams showed up in support of former teammate Mike Furrey, who puts on the party to raise money for his charities.
Williams came dressed as former Lions running back Tatum Bell, who made national headlines two months ago when he was accused of pilfering the travel bags of Detroit running back Rudi Johnson. Williams was wearing a bellhop uniform with a big name tag that said "T. Bell.''
Williams was also wearing boxer shorts on the outside of his pants and it said "Rudi'' on the front and "Johnson 32'' on the back. Williams said he informed Bell what he was going to do, via text message, and got the running back's approval.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/10/roy_williams_attends_lions_hal.html

two24four
10-27-2008, 11:24 PM
:lol::lol: Good stuff.

Dubz
10-27-2008, 11:34 PM
Well at least they have some fun off the field.....I'll never forget Kitnas Porky piggin' costume last year with his wife as the Wendys drive thru attendant.

I wish Roy the best.

Spartan
10-27-2008, 11:40 PM
Argee with the thoughts on Roy. He was a good Lion off the field. He always bought kids a jersey during open practices and pre-season games. Hopefully in a few years a decent GM can turn things around and bring Roy back to finish his career here with a chance to win.

King_Killah
10-28-2008, 08:58 AM

You guys need a QB pretty bad, so maybe going after someone like Sam Bradford, Mark Sanchez or Matthew Stafford would not be a bad idea, if they come out this season.

And good for Colt to stay in Texas and better for Detroit to not be able to get him next year. I actually think McCoy is one of those absolutely incredible NCAA(F) QBs but when he gets to the NFL - not! However, I do believe he would be an improvement over Orslobsky.

Spartan
10-28-2008, 02:08 PM
WILL DAUNTE DO A DEAL IN DETROIT? (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/10/28/will-daunte-do-a-deal-in-detroit/)

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 28, 2008, 1:38 p.m.
Free-agent quarterback Daunte Culpepper is visiting the Lions today (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/10/28/culpepper-visiting-lions/) in his continuing quest to get back into the NFL, but it’s not clear whether he has finally found a home.
Sean Jensen of the St. Paul Pioneer Press writes that he’s hearing that a deal is done (http://blogs.twincities.com/Vikings/2008/10/culpepper_to_the_lions.html). But Tom Kowalski of MLive.com reports that Culpepper left the Lions practice facility without signing a contract (http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/10/culpepper_leaves_lions_without.html).
So at this point it’s still not clear what’s going on with Culpepper, who handles all negotiations by himself because he doesn’t have an agent.
Culpepper says he wants to get back into the league and that his financial demands aren’t as exorbitant as they’ve been portrayed. But so far there’s been a lot of talk about Culpepper signing a contract, and no action.

I like this move.

b_illin
10-29-2008, 11:03 AM
I like this move.

So much for his retiring with grace...after he made a huge deal about it! :lol::lol::lol:

dw13
11-02-2008, 02:14 AM
And good for Colt to stay in Texas and better for Detroit to not be able to get him next year. I actually think McCoy is one of those absolutely incredible NCAA(F) QBs but when he gets to the NFL - not! However, I do believe he would be an improvement over Orslobsky.

I completely agree with you KK. McCoy is a prototypical, good college QB, not a good pro. He has awesome athletism, which puts him above alot of people he plays, and he seems to pretty much just make the smart throws. Nothing risky, nothing special. I'm a huge McCoy fan, but he is heads and toes behind QB's like Sam Bradford, Matthew Stafford, Graham Harrell. Etc.

Spartan
11-02-2008, 06:18 AM
After seven weeks and already talking draft. Welcome to Lions fandom.

Edit: BTW the Culpepper deal is done, 2 years.

two24four
11-03-2008, 12:27 PM
Lions are now alone in the hunt for the 1st overall pick.

Spartan
11-03-2008, 12:58 PM
Lions are now alone in the hunt for the 1st overall pick.The way Dallas is playing, the number 2 as well.

Don't flame, I was just kidding.

King_Killah
11-03-2008, 07:46 PM
Do you really think that Daunte Culpepper is going to make ANY difference whatsoever with that team? I don't see it. He did dick in Oakland, and will likely do less with Detroit. But, that said... I do like him better than Orlovsky. Maybe he can find a connection with Calvin Johnson. Hey, maybe they can finish 8-8 now! Haha...

Spartan
11-03-2008, 07:49 PM
Do you really think that Daunte Culpepper is going to make ANY difference whatsoever with that team? I don't see it. He did dick in Oakland, and will likely do less with Detroit. But, that said... I do like him better than Orlovsky. Maybe he can find a connection with Calvin Johnson. Hey, maybe they can finish 8-8 now! Haha...No not in that situation. But what else is out there? I think this move is about next year, the Lions need other positions to make any QB effective. One thing for sure, Culpepper can throw a good deep ball, something Dan O and Stanton can't do.

two24four
11-03-2008, 08:41 PM
Call me crazy, but I could see DET winning this week over JAC with Culpepper in.

I own CJ in a keeper league as well so I hope this move helps him put up some better numbers.

FlyGuy78
11-03-2008, 09:45 PM
Culpepper may be able to throw the long ball, but as an OAK fan and recently having to root the man, he first must learn how to hold onto the football before he can throw it. This guy must fumble more than any other QB out there.

two24four
11-23-2008, 04:55 PM
Wow, up 17-0 after the 1st, only to lose 38-20.

Dubz
11-23-2008, 06:15 PM
Yeesh.....I think this is the only thing that Im glad I cant watch on Sundays:$

Spartan
11-25-2008, 01:33 PM
We started talking about the Pats and "best ever" around this time last year.

Its time to start thinking this years Lions could be the worst team ever.

two24four
11-25-2008, 01:37 PM
We started talking about the Pats and "best ever" around this time last year.

Its time to start thinking this years Lions could be the worst team ever.

haha, you guys have a tough last 5 games as well

vs TEN
vs MIN
at IND
vs NO
at GB

I'm not sure they can win any of those games, 0-16 look like it could happen this season in DET.

I heard the guys on Fox this past Sunday joking around saying they think a few college teams could come up and beat them, sad thing is, they prob could.

Dubz
11-25-2008, 07:51 PM
Yeah my Nephew won his championship game last week. Hes a junior in HS....so he put in his smacktalk they could spank the Lions too. Funny stuff.

Not really:blah:

two24four
11-27-2008, 01:33 PM
Wow, 28-3 TEN at the start of the 2nd Q so far today, 21 Pts in the 1st.

chgorman
11-27-2008, 02:34 PM
Wow, 28-3 TEN at the start of the 2nd Q so far today, 21 Pts in the 1st.

And this surprises you? :lol: they were joking on the BUF radio station last night that it would be 51-0 10mins in :lol:. I think only being down by 25 at the start of the 2nd quarter could be considered a 'win' for the Leos, lol.

Getting harder and harder for me to cheer for this team every year (they're my 2nd 'fave' after MIA). Good thing my 'Phins aren't the sad-sacks they were last year, or I may have quit paying attention to football altogether by now, :lol:.

two24four
11-27-2008, 03:22 PM
haha, 44-10 and Kerry Collins stats look like this....11-18, 127 Yds, 0 TD's, QB rating 82.4.

Ten does not even really need a QB today :lol:

Lucca Brazzi
11-27-2008, 04:06 PM
Another embarrassing loss for Detroit. Man they really suck- 0-16 doesn't seem that remote.:dead:

chgorman
11-27-2008, 04:28 PM
Another embarrassing loss for Detroit. Man they really suck- 0-16 doesn't seem that remote.:dead:

I think it's pretty much a certainty at this point.:lol:

Dubz
11-27-2008, 07:43 PM
I stop in to Lids to look for a new hat....I have a Lions one that I wear daily but its past the time for a change up. I tell this to the manager and he offers to stitch 0-16 on it for me:$

Lucca Brazzi
11-27-2008, 09:51 PM
I stop in to Lids to look for a new hat....I have a Lions one that I wear daily but its past the time for a change up. I tell this to the manager and he offers to stitch 0-16 on it for me:$
:lol: ouch!

Hockeyis#1
11-27-2008, 11:55 PM
Ten does not even really need a QB today :lol:

Yeah they started running the wildcat late in the game

Oh nvm....that was Vince Young

Spartan
12-07-2008, 04:12 PM
The run for none is still alive.

That was a little close though...whew!

Dubz
12-08-2008, 07:27 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AoAW8zieCzJv8oKqbeS3JssdsLYF?slug=ap-lions-marinelli&prov=ap&type=lgns

Lions’ Marinelli: “I believe in the invisible.”

I suppose a zero could be considered invisible:dunno:

two24four
12-14-2008, 03:33 PM
Uh-oh, dont look now, DET 21 Indy 21 in the 4th, could we have an upset today or will they find a way to lose ;):D:lol:

Dubz
12-21-2008, 07:03 PM

I went back and grabbed a nice Spits cap with Hall's # on it. I talked to the same guy and Im going to do it AFTER they go 0-16. They have already set the record at 0-15...geezze I suck at predicting football:p

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/recap?gid=20081221008&prov=ap

Spartan
12-22-2008, 09:49 AM
You could see this coming...

Ford: Lewand, Mayhew will stay with Lions

by Tom Kowalski Sunday December 21, 2008, 8:50 PM

http://blog.mlive.com/lions_impact/2008/12/large_122108-tom-lewand.jpgAP File Photo

Tom Lewand, Detroit Lions executive vice president and chief operating officer, walks the sidelines during Detroit's' game against Green Bay Packers earlier this season.

Lions owner William Clay Ford said he wants both Martin Mayhew and Lewand to stay with the Lions next season.
DETROIT -- Detroit Lions owner William Clay Ford said Sunday he will hire another person to upgrade the team's football operations, but it might not be a general manager with total control over all personnel decisions.
"It depends. I don't know about the odds (of hiring a GM with total authority),'' Ford said. "Let's see who's available and what experience they have and see if they fit in any of our slots.''
Ford said regardless of whom he hires, he wants both Martin Mayhew and Tom Lewand to play significant roles in the front office, possibly in the positions they currently hold.
"I don't want to delineate positions to exactly where 'This is you' and "This is me.' I want to leave some latitude,'' Ford said. "When we get a good person, I want Martin in on that, I want his opinion.''
Ford, who spoke prior to Detroit's 42-7 loss to the New Orleans Saints, indicated it would be a three-man panel interviewing candidates.
"Lewand, Martin and me,'' said Ford, adding that he wanted to have some decisions made within three weeks after the end of the season.
When asked if vice chairman Bill Ford Jr. will be involved in the process, Ford Sr. said, "I don't know, I think he's got a plate-full right now. It depends on what his availability is.''
Mayhew, who had held the title of assistant general manager, took over as general manager in late September after president Matt Millen was fired. Mayhew has reported directly to Ford since that time. When asked if he was happy with the job Mayhew has done so far, Ford said, "Oh yeah, very.''
Ford also said if the Lions decide to go with a general manager who holds total authority over all football decisions, Mayhew will be among the candidates. If Ford goes that route and Mayhew doesn't get the job, Ford said he still wants Mayhew to stay with the organization.
Lewand is expected to continue in his capacity as the team's chief operating officer and run the team's day-to-day business activities and have authority over all Ford Field operations.
Ford said he has "talked to some people'' and still is putting together a list of candidates to be interviewed. Ford said he doesn't believe there is one "football genius'' out there who can come in and make all the right decisions independently.
"No. If there is, I haven't met him yet,'' Ford said.
As for coach Rod Marinelli and his job status, Ford said he hasn't made any decisions yet.
"I don't know, I haven't made up my mind. I'm leaving it open,'' Ford said.
When asked about Marinelli's record (with Sunday's defeat, the Lions have lost 22 of their past 23 games), Ford repeated: "No, I'm keeping it open.''
If there is a change, Ford said he doesn't know yet who might spearhead that search.
"Both of those (head coach and GM) positions now are a little nebulous so it's hard for me to say the GM will do it or I'll do it because I don't know who's going to fit in what slot,'' Ford said, adding that his goal is to make the right choices to put the Lions on a winning path.
"I hope, when this whole process is over with, that we've got an organization that can build a winning team,'' Ford said. "The fans have been great and they deserve winners. We're all frustrated. We want to win, too.
"I hope this is the end product.''

Dubz
12-28-2008, 08:12 PM
Well that pick from Dallas turned out a bit nicer than I thought.

As for coach Rod Marinelli and his job status, Ford said he hasn't made any decisions yet.
"I don't know, I haven't made up my mind. I'm leaving it open,'' Ford said.
When asked about Marinelli's record (with Sunday's defeat, the Lions have lost 22 of their past 23 games), Ford repeated: "No, I'm keeping it open.''
:wtf:

Dubz
12-28-2008, 08:17 PM
AND now I have to go pay good $ to get the new (unbeatable) record stitched on my cap

Spartan
12-29-2008, 09:54 AM
The whole coaching staff has been fired except running backs coach Sam Gash and wide receivers coach Shawn Jefferson. The Rod part is not shocking, hell it would have been shocking if he was retained. The question is why keep the other two guys? You get the impression that the replacement has been hired already.

Spartan
12-29-2008, 10:15 AM
Oh yeah, just to make it official. Martin Mayhew is the new GM and Tom Lewand has been named team president. These moves are not the worst thing that could happen, but how in world can you not have a search process?

heliosj
12-29-2008, 10:19 AM
Oh yeah, just to make it official. Martin Mayhew is the new GM and Tom Lewand has been named team president. These moves are not the worst thing that could happen, but how in world can you not have a search process?You're a native of Michigan, right? How are you surprised by anything the Lions do?

You know what Detroit needs? To draft a bunch of receivers, that always works. :rolleyes:

Hockeyis#1
12-29-2008, 10:27 AM
You know what Detroit needs? To draft a bunch of receivers, that always works. :rolleyes:
What works better is trading them for draft picks that probably won't draft a better reciever.

Spartan
12-29-2008, 10:48 AM
You're a native of Michigan, right? How are you surprised by anything the Lions do?

You know what Detroit needs? To draft a bunch of receivers, that always works. :rolleyes:I never said I was surprised, just disappointed. Ford is loyal to a fault. Mayhew is a great young executive, I will give them that. The team just went 0-16, you don't get there with a blown call or a bad play here and there. This has been years in the making. No one should be safe right now, especially with people like Peioli(sp?) and Parcells available.

heliosj
12-29-2008, 10:51 AM
True enough. Parcells is a wizard. Detroit would be his greatest challenge yet.

Spartan
12-30-2008, 12:52 AM
Martin Mayhew has done more in an afternoon than Millen did in eight years. He is securing interviews with Jerry Gray (WSH D-backs coach), Steve Spagnuolo (NYG D-C), Jason Garrett (DAL O-C), Jim Schwartz (TEN D-C), Josh McDaniel (NE A-C) and will wait to talk to Leslie Frazier (MIN D-C) as well.

By comparison Matt Millen hired Marty Morningsomething site unseen because he heard Cleveland was also interested. Then broke the Rooney Rule to get Steve Mariucci without an interview process. Rod Marinelli was hired after interviewing Mike Singletary and blowing off Jim Haslett without a formal interview.

I have to believe that many of those candidates will say thanks but no thanks, but Mayhew is working hard and hunting big game right away. Nice work.

chgorman
01-02-2009, 03:21 PM
During Tuesday's press conference, new Lions president Tom Lewand remarked how the Falcons' only high-priced acquisition in 2008 was "Michael Bennett" and commented on how the Steelers allowed "Greg Lloyd" to sign with Miami.
And we thought 0-16 was embarrassing. Lloyd is supposed to be Joey Porter in Lewand's mind and "Michael Bennett," of course, is Michael Turner. Good of owner William Clay Ford, Jr. to do his due diligence before promoting Lewand to team president. He'd better stay the heck out of personnel matters.
Source: Profootballtalk.com

And this is one of the idiots running the team? Wow :wtf::eek::scared:

Unfortunate, 'cause they're my 2nd fave team, but it's looking like years more of ineptitude for this team going forward. Why wouldn't they just gut the entire staff when they had the chance?

b_illin
01-05-2009, 08:56 AM
Wow, I don't even think Greg Lloyd has played in this millennium! (I loved him and Kevin Green)

Spartan
01-07-2009, 08:02 AM
Hey 0-16 did get rid of Rob Parker. See ya assclown.:wave:

Detroit News columnist Rob Parker resigns after Lions flap

Posted by The Associated Press (http://blog.mlive.com/highlightreel/about.html) January 06, 2009 20:27PM

Categories: Local Media (http://blog.mlive.com/highlightreel/local_media/), Statewide (http://blog.mlive.com/highlightreel/statewide/), Top Sports (http://blog.mlive.com/highlightreel/top_sports/)
DETROIT (AP) - A Detroit News sports columnist has left the paper, two weeks after he was criticized for asking Lions coach Rod Marinelli if he had wished his daughter married a better defensive coordinator.
Rob Parker resigned last week, managing editor Don Nauss said Tuesday. Parker declined to comment on his departure.
Joe Barry is Marinelli's son-in-law and was defensive coordinator during Detroit's 0-16 season. On Dec. 21, after a 42-7 loss to New Orleans, Parker asked Marinelli about his daughter's decision to marry Barry.
"Anytime you attack my daughter, I've got a problem with that," Marinelli said.
Parker said he wasn't trying to hurt the coach or his family. He wanted to "lighten the moment" after a rough loss.
Nauss, however, said the question was "inappropriate and unprofessional."
"We said we were taking the matter seriously and we would deal with it," he said. "Draw your own conclusions about what transpired. I have to emphasize Rob submitted his resignation and we accepted it. It was a voluntary action."
Marinelli and his son-in-law were fired after the Lions' winless season. Barry's father, assistant offensive line coach Mike Barry, also was dismissed.
Parker's question drew on-air fire from Fox football analyst Terry Bradshaw, who called him a "total idiot."

two24four
01-07-2009, 01:39 PM
Well good news for you guys today is at least one good QB that we know of is coming out for the draft, sounds like Matthew Stafford from Georgia is coming out.

Stafford would be a great pick for you guys 1st overall.

Spartan
01-07-2009, 02:09 PM
well good news for you guys today is at least one good qb that we know of is coming out for the draft, sounds like matthew stafford from georgia is coming out.

stafford would be a great pick for you guys 1st overall.no!

two24four
01-07-2009, 02:11 PM
no!

Why not? Seems almost every draft bored has him going #1 to you guys.

Spartan
01-07-2009, 02:21 PM
The biggest single problem with this team for the past three seasons is that the defense can't get off the field when they need a stop. Look at that roster, besides Sims (who is overrated, he is football stupid) they have no talent whatsoever. If you take QB first you have to use another pick on a left tackle to protect him and you still have not addressed the defense. They should take Brian Orakpo or Michael Oher at pick one then target a Lauranitis, Terrance Cody, Brandon Spikes at 20 then take best available at 33. Take a QB next year.

Anyways Stafford does nothing to impress me, Ryan had that swagger at least.

two24four
01-07-2009, 02:24 PM
The biggest single problem with this team for the past three seasons is that the defense can't get off the field when they need a stop. Look at that roster, besides Sims (who is overrated, he is football stupid) they have no talent whatsoever. If you take QB first you have to use another pick on a left tackle to protect him and you still have not addressed the defense. They should take Brian Orakpo or Michael Oher at pick one then target a Lauranitis, Terrance Cody, Brandon Spikes at 20 then take best available at 33. Take a QB next year.

Anyways Stafford does nothing to impress me, Ryan had that swagger at least.

Hey, leave Lauranitis alone :D;) I would not mind seeing him fall to us at #24 overall, him and Mayo would be awesome together for years and years.

dw13
01-07-2009, 06:05 PM
Stafford has awful pocket presence, can't deal with people in his face and just doesn't carry himself with a great confidence. I loved the kid coming out of high school, then he went to that chump of a program that Mark the dbag Richt runs.

Stafford and Bradford both IMO, have room to grow, Bradford has never had been under pressure and had a hand in his face consistantly. I want to see that (hope my boys can do it tomorrow).

Dubz
01-07-2009, 08:54 PM
There is another QB the Lions should take with the 2nd pick if possible...Tim Tebow (Florida) Im not that familiar with the draft but do you guys think he will fall to the Lions second pick? Im guessing that would be around pick 19. I doubt he will fall but was curious if a trade up and down might work. Wait a minute....they too dumb to pull something like that off haha
Whatcha think about Tebow?
Thanks guys

dw13
01-07-2009, 09:08 PM
Tebow (I'm a Gator Dubb) will be back at UF. I promise you that.

Dubz
01-07-2009, 09:24 PM
Ah I see....thanks bro
Still would like to hear whatcha think about the kid:D

Read this....pretty funny

20. Detroit Lions (Dallas): Clint Sintim, OLB, VA (http://newnfldraft.com/archives/519)
The Lions add another play maker to their team. They just need about 20 more to be good in the 2009 NFL Season.

two24four
01-07-2009, 10:03 PM
DET will take one of Stafford or Bradford #1 I think.

jelmhirst12
01-07-2009, 10:12 PM
There are still Detroit Lions fans :O haha

King_Killah
01-07-2009, 10:31 PM
Detroit should NOT take Stafford OR Bradford with the #1. Neither or them will turn out to be a great NFL QB. Neither is any better than what they have in the system. I think it would be a wasted pick. They NEED to fix the defense. The offense can work itself out. They were in a few games this year that the defense just f*cked over. Calvin Johnson and Kevin Smith are a good starting base as far as skilled positions go. Their QBs aren't that awful. I would go with Stanton over Orlovsky, but hey... Fix the defense and things will work out.

two24four
01-07-2009, 10:41 PM
Detroit should NOT take Stafford OR Bradford with the #1. Neither or them will turn out to be a great NFL QB. Neither is any better than what they have in the system. I think it would be a wasted pick. They NEED to fix the defense. The offense can work itself out. They were in a few games this year that the defense just f*cked over. Calvin Johnson and Kevin Smith are a good starting base as far as skilled positions go. Their QBs aren't that awful. I would go with Stanton over Orlovsky, but hey... Fix the defense and things will work out.

I agree with all of this, all I'm saying is I will be shocked if they dont take a QB with the 1st pick at the draft, I think that's the way they go with the 1st pick.

Spartan
01-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Maclin and Crabtree have declared.

Crabtree at the one, Maclin could be there at the 20.
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/justin_doom/01/03/lions.millen/p1_millen.jpg

two24four
01-09-2009, 01:45 PM
:lol::lol:

Spartan
01-15-2009, 03:56 PM
May the Schwartz be with us....

Sources: Schwartz to coach Lions

Comment (http://myespn.go.com/conversation/story?id=3835911) Email (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3835911#) Print (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=3835911&type=story)
ESPN.com news services

The Detroit Lions (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=det) have reached an agreement in principle with Jim Schwartz to become their next head coach, several sources told ESPN on Thursday.
Schwartz, the Tennessee Titans (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=ten)' defensive coordinator for the past eight seasons, has agreed in principle to a four-yeal contract.
On Tuesday, after a second interview with the Lions, Schwartz said the chance to coach the NFL's first 0-16 team motivated him to tackle it and succeed in it.
"I don't shy away from a challenge," Schwartz said earlier this week.
The Lions fired Rod Marinelli after his team made history. Schwartz just finished his 10th season with the Titans.
Before being hired in Tennessee, Schwartz spent three years on the Baltimore Ravens' staff. He also was a college and pro scout for the Cleveland Browns and that experience might be valuable in Detroit.
The Lions have the No. 1 pick in April, along with first- and third-round picks from the Dallas Cowboys, and need to find players to spark a turnaround.
Among other things, the Lions will be counting on Schwartz to come up with ways to improve a defense that ranked last in the league and gave up 517 points -- threatening the NFL record for points allowed (533) in a season set by the 1981 Baltimore Colts.
ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen, ESPN NFL reporter Michael Smith and The Associated Press contributed to this story.

beanz
01-15-2009, 04:46 PM
Maclin and Crabtree have declared.

Crabtree at the one, Maclin could be there at the 20.
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/justin_doom/01/03/lions.millen/p1_millen.jpg

hey, at this point who do they have to line up with calvin? furrey and mcdonald are supposedly not returning so who does that leave? obviously with the past WR busts with millen, i would be hesitant, but a duo of Crabtree and CJ could be promising.

But i kno that would be stupid to do as a WR is the least of your problems on this lions team. I don't want them to take Andre Smith, apparantly he isn't very "motivated" to play every game according to scouts. the lions can't afford that with such a terrible team already. it will be interesting to see where this draft takes them, as a lot of the talent is staying put in college

Spartan
01-15-2009, 05:18 PM
hey, at this point who do they have to line up with calvin? furrey and mcdonald are supposedly not returning so who does that leave? obviously with the past WR busts with millen, i would be hesitant, but a duo of Crabtree and CJ could be promising.

But i kno that would be stupid to do as a WR is the least of your problems on this lions team. I don't want them to take Andre Smith, apparantly he isn't very "motivated" to play every game according to scouts. the lions can't afford that with such a terrible team already. it will be interesting to see where this draft takes them, as a lot of the talent is staying put in collegeIf you want to take pressure off of Calvin Johnson, a good pass catching tight end would do more than another receiver. Either way they need to take the best available player with each pick. It won't be like Miami or Atlanta, its gonna take a few seasons.

two24four
01-16-2009, 01:05 AM
You guys should hope like hell that Sanchez is still around at 20th overall (Dallas' pick) for you guys, I think he would be a great pick for you guys there.

dw13
01-16-2009, 01:43 AM
Oher then Sanchez would be a great 1st round if you ask me.

Spartan
01-21-2009, 09:36 AM
Gunther Cunningham hired as D-Cord. Really nice hire by the Schwartz. Cunningham will be able to bring the fire a bit, since Schwartz is a low key kind of guy it just works fine.

Now we just need dawinna and the Jets to let Schottenheimer go for O-cord.

dw13
01-21-2009, 12:49 PM
Gunther Cunningham hired as D-Cord. Really nice hire by the Schwartz. Cunningham will be able to bring the fire a bit, since Schwartz is a low key kind of guy it just works fine.

Now we just need dawinna and the Jets to let Schottenheimer go for O-cord.

Eeek to Schotty in Detroit. His system is sketchy at best. If he becomes consistant he could be a big time coach in this league. I think he is staying with the Jets. I know Rex wants to keep the whole offensive side of the deal intact.

Spartan
01-23-2009, 01:50 PM
Scott Linehan to the Lions as O.C.

Big thumbs up to the Schwartz, its getting less likely that QB goes first overall.

Spartan
01-28-2009, 09:56 AM
At a townhall meeting last night with season ticket holders, the Lions told the audience that the team would revamp the team logo. Presumably this could mean the end of the honalulu blue and silver as well.:beer:

Might as well act like an expansion team.

beanz
01-28-2009, 10:21 AM
this is getting interesting and it'll be fun to see whether fans are going to cave in and buy tickets next year. They've gone ahead and revamped their image with new coaches and potentially new colors/logo, now they need to change the on-field crap. I know i still won't be buying tickets for next year, but i can't wait for all those pre-season callers who predict a 8-8 or 9-7 season

Dubz
01-28-2009, 05:51 PM
this is getting interesting and it'll be fun to see whether fans are going to cave in and buy tickets next year. They've gone ahead and revamped their image with new coaches and potentially new colors/logo, now they need to change the on-field crap. I know i still won't be buying tickets for next year, but i can't wait for all those pre-season callers who predict a 8-8 or 9-7 season

:$

They are so due for the logo change....How about some Gold/Yellow and Midnight Blue haha

beanz
01-29-2009, 10:00 AM
:$

They are so due for the logo change....How about some Gold/Yellow and Midnight Blue haha

gee, isn't there a university someplace in michigan that sports colors similar to that?

me, i prefer the animal cracker logo, they are more intimidating than these guys :D

http://knightowl73.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/wolverine01.jpg

Spartan
01-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Old school FTW.

http://www.sportslogos.net/images/logos/7/170/full/472.gif

MrScientist
01-29-2009, 03:57 PM
How about something graphic ala the Sudbury Wolves logo with the blood :lol: