PDA

View Full Version : The CFL

Pages : [1] 2

Motorcat
07-10-2007, 09:27 PM
I was bored the other day and surfed the Canadian Football League website just for something to do.

Since we have so many posters here actually in the Great White North I was wondering if any of you follow the CFL and who your favorite teams are and why.

I might actually pick a team and try to keep up with it this year via the web. Back in the day when the games were actually on TV down here I found myself pulling for the Hamilton Tigercats .......that was back when the Edmonton Eskimos ruled the league.

Maybe someone can sway me either way as for a team to follow.

And What happened to Ottawa's team ....... I see it folded - was it lack of attendance or just poor ownership ?

I'll let you guys get me back up to speed with the who,what and why I should be paying attention.

Motorcat
07-11-2007, 08:31 AM
Bueller ........ Bueller ..........

b_illin
07-11-2007, 10:27 AM
Never come to this area...

I am an Argos fans, but I am casual at best. CDN rules are fun, but it's a summer league and I have better things to do in the Summer. That said, if you want a fav team, pick the Ti-Cats as they are owned by a CDN named Bob Young who lives close to you in Cary I believe.

Ottawa folded years ago, got brought back by this American father-son duo that everyone hated, so they folded again. There is talk they may come back yet again.

Dubz
07-11-2007, 11:31 AM
Casual Al's fan......they have quite a history:
http://en.montrealalouettes.com/index.php?module=page&id=6014
I always felt they were sort of an underdog, and they have the Best Cheerleaders;)

Domi played for the Arg's so of course I like them.... unless they are up against the Al's.

My buddy has seasons for the Arg's and the Grey Cup is in T.O this year so he has tix.
His "clan" all have jerseys and they call themselves the HEAD family, the back of their jersey's read... pothead, crackhead, giveshead (female)

phaneuf6
07-11-2007, 01:24 PM
His "clan" all have jerseys and they call themselves the HEAD family, the back of their jersey's read... pothead, crackhead, giveshead (female)
:lol: Where do they sit? I'll keep an eye out.

Dubz
07-11-2007, 01:47 PM
Section 117, Two rows above cupholders:beer: :lol:

b_illin
07-11-2007, 04:48 PM
I've seen them before...but never the givehead...I may have to invite her to a stall...does she like beer? :naughty:

two24four
07-11-2007, 08:05 PM
Argos fan here.

Ti-Cats have been a joke for the last few years & still seem like they are this year, in 2 games so far they have yet to score a TD, & there starting QB Mass (sp) seems to have lost his game, I like Timmey Chang better as the QB to tell you the truth.

Winnipeg seems to be maybe the team to beat this year.

It would be nice to see the Argos win the Grey Cup at home this year.

Farmerbob42
07-13-2007, 07:37 PM
BC lions. i try to go to a game a year since my bro is walking distance from the stadium in vancouver and watch most of the games throughout the year.

two24four
07-14-2007, 11:48 AM
Toronto have been looking good there last two games, beating both HAM & CAL pretty bad, but now there QB (Bishop) who has been on fire for them is out 6-8 weeks with a broken wrist.

HT9
07-14-2007, 03:05 PM
Lions are 3-0, nobody is surprised.

two24four
07-15-2007, 11:27 AM
Ti-Cats looked pretty good for a change last might vs MTL, but still could not get the win, & are now 0-3 (nothing new for them)

They really need to start Timmey Chang over Mass, once Chang came in last night the Ti-Cats looked like a hole new team out there, he's a better QB then Mass IMO.

WinnipegWingnut
07-16-2007, 11:12 AM
HUGE Bombers fan here, have the seasons and watch every away game.

If you are interested in watching games and don't get them on TV, you can watch them on TSN.ca on their broadband network.

This year the Lions are looking real good, and I would have said the Riders if they didn't get beat back this week by BC.

Hamilton again is crap, I wonder how long the loyal fans will keep supporting a loser. I don't know what happened to Maas, he was a star in Edmonton then hit the bricks in Hamilton. I think he had some shoulder problem, but if he has a good O-line and some decent guys to throw too I think he could get back to his former self.

If there are other big CFL fans here, post every now and then as I love this league. I watch the NFL too, but I find only having 3 downs makes it that much tougher, and with the wider field more exciting pass plays.

WinnipegWingnut
07-16-2007, 11:13 AM
Also... GO MILT!!!! One more touchdown to be the CFL's all time TD leader!!! WHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Farmerbob42
07-19-2007, 01:45 AM
dickenson hurt, big surprise :rolleyes: but pierce hurt too, sucks. oh well good thing the 3rd string is still a decent option hah, though if buck's hand is just bruised he may be alright... hopefully.

two24four
07-19-2007, 10:11 AM
dickenson hurt, big surprise :rolleyes: but pierce hurt too, sucks. oh well good thing the 3rd string is still a decent option hah, though if buck's hand is just bruised he may be alright... hopefully.

Well BC plays the Ti-Cats this week so I guess they catch a break there abit, but like I have been saying, I'm not Ti-Cats fan, but I think if they start Chang at QB they might do better then they have been.

I'm looking forward to watching Toronto vs Calgary Saturday night.

CanucksFan
07-19-2007, 10:12 AM
Argos fan here.

Ti-Cats have been a joke for the last few years & still seem like they are this year, in 2 games so far they have yet to score a TD, & there starting QB Mass (sp) seems to have lost his game, I like Timmey Chang better as the QB to tell you the truth.

Winnipeg seems to be maybe the team to beat this year.

It would be nice to see the Argos win the Grey Cup at home this year.

:lol:

We stink this year, atleast from what I've seen. Kevin Glenn is NOT going to lead this team to a championship.

Milt Stegall on the other hand is the bomb. Man that guy is awesome. Should break the record this weekend.

WinnipegWingnut
07-19-2007, 10:46 AM

We stink this year, atleast from what I've seen. Kevin Glenn is NOT going to lead this team to a championship.

Milt Stegall on the other hand is the bomb. Man that guy is awesome. Should break the record this weekend.

Glenn is actually FINALLY starting to show some signs that he can be a starter in this league. I know he was the top passer after week two, but it also helps that he has an all star receiving corps.

As for B.C., Buck is a tough cookie, he'll be fine and I predict a B.C. romping of the lowly Ti-Cats. I'm kind of hoping that Hamilton can pull off the win as their fans deserve it. I agree though, Tommy should be the starter, Maas just hasn't looked good at all. I think Jason needs a change of scenery with some good receivers and a decent O-line (I'd take him over Glenn!)

The game of the week will probably be Winnipeg - Montreal tonight, or the Riders - Eskies game, as the Stamps have been horrible so the Argo's should have their ways. Also as I mentioned above, I think B.C. will stomp the Cats. But again, it is the CFL, stranger things have happened, like a 100 yard touchdown with no time on the clock to burn the Eskies last year.... YEAH MILT!

CanucksFan
07-19-2007, 09:02 PM
I may rescind my comments about Glenn after tonights game. He's been unreal tonight... I think he's 22 for 25 right now with ~250 yards.

Like you said though, having guys like Roberts, Brazell, and Stegall raking them in helps.

Dubz
07-19-2007, 10:46 PM
Is there ANY pass interference in the CFL?:wtf:

two24four
07-20-2007, 01:54 AM
Ti-Cats found away to f*ck it up again tonight, they could have beat BC tonight from the parts of the game I watched, but nope they are now 0-4 while BC is 4-0, nothing new in Hamilton :lol:

Jesse Lumsden had a good game running for 158 yards & getting around 220 yards total on offence.

Being a Toronto fan it was also nice seeing Montreal lose & fall too 1-3 on the season tonight, with Toronto playing in Calgary Saturday night & Calgary not looking so good this season so far giving up 106 Pts in just 3 games.

WinnipegWingnut
07-20-2007, 01:04 PM
I may rescind my comments about Glenn after tonights game. He's been unreal tonight... I think he's 22 for 25 right now with ~250 yards.

Like you said though, having guys like Roberts, Brazell, and Stegall raking them in helps.

Yeah he finished 21 for 24 with one TD toss and no INT's.

He's beginning to pick it up, Terrence Edwards (Roberts brother) is really looking good, I believe he is leading the league now in yards.

WinnipegWingnut
07-20-2007, 01:05 PM
Ti-Cats found away to f*ck it up again tonight, they could have beat BC tonight from the parts of the game I watched, but nope they are now 0-4 while BC is 4-0, nothing new in Hamilton :lol:

Jesse Lumsden had a good game running for 158 yards & getting around 220 yards total on offence.

Being a Toronto fan it was also nice seeing Montreal lose & fall too 1-3 on the season tonight, with Toronto playing in Calgary Saturday night & Calgary not looking so good this season so far giving up 106 Pts in just 3 games.

He's really the only bright spot for Hamilton right now. I thought the Cats could have pulled it off last night, and then their secondary blew their coverage assignments.

Hopefully they blow them next week when they play the Bombers!

Motorcat
07-20-2007, 01:21 PM
Keep up the commentary guys ........... its actually been kind of interesting.

WinnipegWingnut
07-20-2007, 02:40 PM
Is there ANY pass interference in the CFL?:wtf:

There is, but the refs seem to be letting the DB's and Receivers battle it out more which I like. There was one big one in the BC game last night which brought the Lions down to first and goal for an easy run in TD.

How about the Bombers Defensive stand last night! Montreal was 1st and goal and stodd up three times from the 3 yard line I believe! Awesome! Love seeing the D get jacked up like that!

HT9
07-20-2007, 06:32 PM
Man the Lions are realllly not playing like they can this year, even though they are 4-0 they can play much better IMO.

WinnipegWingnut
07-21-2007, 03:14 PM
Man the Lions are realllly not playing like they can this year, even though they are 4-0 they can play much better IMO.

No Dickensen and Buck was playing hurt. The Lions are lucky Dave Ritchie has that defense kicking butt.

Another great game last night, I was actually kind of pulling for the Banjo pickers even though they are the Bombers biggest rivals.

WinnipegWingnut
07-22-2007, 09:51 AM
Wow... the Argo's got their ass handed to them by the Stamps?? Didn't see that coming, even with Bishop hurt.

I still don't get why the Argo's didn't start Damon Allen? You can't go wrong with the top passer in all of professional football, even if he is 44.

two24four
07-22-2007, 10:40 AM
Yeah the Argos took an ass kicking last night that's for sure, I also did not see that coming.

I have a feeling Allen will be starting the next game.

WinnipegWingnut
07-22-2007, 09:14 PM
Yeah the Argos took an ass kicking last night that's for sure, I also did not see that coming.

I have a feeling Allen will be starting the next game.

Argo fans best hope so, Allen didn't look too sharp last night other then the TD with no time left, but then again he went in cold. If that guy has time to prep he is amazing. McMahon may want to try out for the cheerleading squad, he was horrible.

WinnipegWingnut
07-27-2007, 12:00 PM
Argos get beat again.... they neeeeed Bishop back.

Tonight Milt goes for the all time CFL TD record (again)!!! I'll be there cheering him on, GO BOMBERS!

CanucksFan
07-27-2007, 08:00 PM
Stegall Just Broke The Record!

Attaboy Milt!

two24four
07-28-2007, 12:09 AM
Argos get beat again.... they neeeeed Bishop back.

Tonight Milt goes for the all time CFL TD record (again)!!! I'll be there cheering him on, GO BOMBERS!

Yup, I hope he's fast at getting better, they suck ass with out him.

Farmerbob42
07-28-2007, 01:37 AM
eish, dickenson may be done for the season. Usually i'd be happy to go with bucky but with no 'laine their offense is sad... Wheres passes to geroy and simmons? bah!

HT9
07-28-2007, 02:09 AM
eish, dickenson may be done for the season. Usually i'd be happy to go with bucky but with no 'laine their offense is sad... Wheres passes to geroy and simmons? bah!
yah the offense has looked disguisting this year, they can't seem to get anything going offensively.

Motorcat
07-28-2007, 08:39 AM
Looks like I picked the wrong time to jump back on the Tigercats bandwagon.

0-5, most points given up - fewest points scored .

:dead:

Does not even look like much to cheer for outside of BC and Winnipeg.

two24four
07-28-2007, 01:00 PM
Looks like I picked the wrong time to jump back on the Tigercats bandwagon.

0-5, most points given up - fewest points scored .

:dead:

Does not even look like much to cheer for outside of BC and Winnipeg.

It's never a good time to jump on the TiCats bandwagon, they have sucked for sometime now & dont look like they are getting better anytime soon, 0-5 already and they play Winnipeg next week, so they should be 0-6 soon lol.

chgorman
07-28-2007, 01:28 PM
I used to follow the Ti-cats too, but I just can't get into the CFL anymore. Not sure what it is, I've tried a couple times, but I just can't get excited about it. I should probably try harder though. Gotta be better than baseball.

pjm
07-28-2007, 07:20 PM
I watch the occasional Stamps game, but not a big fan at all. To be honest, i couldn't name more than 5 guys on any team, let alone the Stamps, off the top of my head.

Football is just not my thing, but it is way more interesting than baseball to me, which is why i'll watch a CFL game if it's on but would rather take a two hour long dump than watch a baseball game..

WinnipegWingnut
07-31-2007, 08:04 AM
AWESOME weekend!!! I was at the Bomber - TiCat game and Milt got his touchdown right in front of our section, section N. So good of the CFL to stop the game and honour him on live TV!

Then he goes and catches a second TD to boot!!!

That a boy Milt!!! Congrats!!

two24four
07-31-2007, 11:05 AM
The Argos have names Allen the starter for this week in MTL, which is prob a good thing.

WinnipegWingnut
07-31-2007, 11:31 AM
The Argos have names Allen the starter for this week in MTL, which is prob a good thing.

Can't be worse than McMahon.... at least Damon can complete passes. I bet you Argo fans are counting down the days to Bishops return!

phaneuf6
07-31-2007, 12:19 PM
Can't be worse than McMahon.... at least Damon can complete passes. I bet you Argo fans are counting down the days to Bishops return!

You know it.

two24four
07-31-2007, 02:47 PM

Oh yeah, Bishop said he hopes to only miss 4 weeks, which would be awesome.

CanucksFan
08-04-2007, 05:43 PM
There aren't many things in life more emberassing than getting pummeled by the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

Farmerbob42
08-04-2007, 07:39 PM
ooo, bc loses... though not much could be expected with the injuries they've had.

is it just me or is that knowlton guy better than a lot of guys they have on the secondary? i like him better than glover or philips at the moment

Motorcat
08-04-2007, 07:59 PM
Thats right ...... FEAR the Tiger Cats !

two24four
08-06-2007, 10:57 AM

haha, good for them though on winning a game, Lumsden (sp) is starting too play great for them, with out him they would be F*.

WinnipegWingnut
08-07-2007, 01:19 PM

I hated every moment of that game, Lumsden was unreal and our D sucked the bag.... booooooooo!

chgorman
06-08-2009, 06:59 PM
If anybody is interested in GREAT deals on Hamilton Tiger Cats tickets, particularly the Canada Day game vs. the Argos at Ivor Wynne, pm me for details. Should be a good time on July 1st, Hamilton's home opener vs. the hated rival Argos.

Motorcat
06-08-2009, 08:55 PM
I'm back for my 3rd year of paying attention to the CFL....any chance the Tiger Cats can beat someone other than than Toronto this year and maybe play .500 or better ?

phaneuf6
06-08-2009, 10:19 PM
I can't wait for the Argos this year.. new coaching staff means business based on all early signs from mini camp.

chgorman
06-10-2009, 07:52 AM
I'm back for my 3rd year of paying attention to the CFL....any chance the Tiger Cats can beat someone other than than Toronto this year and maybe play .500 or better ?

The Ticats should def be better this year. Made some key acquisitions in the offseason, so things are looking up for them. Not sure if they'll make it to .500, but they should be at least close, and should be able to beat more than just the Argos. there's definitely some optimism surrounding the team right now. I don't think anybody *expects* them to make the playoffs or anything like that, but they should definitely be improved over last year.

I can't wait for the Argos this year.. new coaching staff means business based on all early signs from mini camp.

Why don't you come down to the Hammer for the Canada Day game then? It's the Ticats' home opener, vs. the hated Argos, should be a pretty good gong show, both on the field (these teams HATE each other) and in the stands, lol. should be a good time... cheap too if you PM me for details. ;)

phaneuf6
06-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Why don't you come down to the Hammer for the Canada Day game then? It's the Ticats' home opener, vs. the hated Argos, should be a pretty good gong show, both on the field (these teams HATE each other) and in the stands, lol. should be a good time... cheap too if you PM me for details. ;)

Ah I would but I'm in Montreal that day. Probably end up watching the game if I can, the Canada Day showdown is always a great game.

chgorman
06-19-2009, 11:37 AM
If anybody is interested in GREAT deals on Hamilton Tiger Cats tickets, particularly the Canada Day game vs. the Argos at Ivor Wynne, pm me for details. Should be a good time on July 1st, Hamilton's home opener vs. the hated rival Argos.

I'm guessing nobody is interested since I haven't heard from anybody, but if anybody is interested, last chance to get some fantastic deals on Ticats tix! PM me for details. The deals I can get expire at the end of the day today. I can get $55 tickets for $40, and $22 tickets for $18, plus some free stuff. Lemme know if you're interested.

two24four
07-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Same ole Ti-Cats I see.

Argos looked good tonight from the parts of the game I saw.

phaneuf6
07-01-2009, 09:43 PM
Didn't see the game tonight but sounds like Joseph had a good one. That's exactly what we need. Hoping to get out to a few games this year, lets hope for a playoff run!

two24four
07-01-2009, 11:57 PM
Robertson looked good as well tonight running the ball.

two24four
07-03-2009, 01:02 AM
Jesse Lumsden does not even last the 1st Q of his 1st game with EDM tonight before he gets hurt & left the game for good tonight, his shoulders are like glass.

CayugaPosse
07-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Jesse Lumsden does not even last the 1st Q of his 1st game with EDM tonight before he gets hurt & left the game for good tonight, his shoulders are like glass.

Football's answer to Marian Gaborik.

two24four
07-04-2009, 11:09 AM
Football's answer to Marian Gaborik.

Pretty much, they are saying his football career might over after this injury. Hope for his sake it's not, all that skill gone to waste.

secol
07-04-2009, 01:43 PM
sucks for him, was a great player to watch.....hopefully he can still rehab and come back at 100%

secol
07-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Jesse Lumsden isn't giving up on this season or his CFL career.
The Edmonton Eskimos tailback said Sunday he fully expects to be back in the lineup later this year after suffering a dislocated shoulder in the club's season-opening 19-17 win over Winnipeg on Thursday. The injury was to Lumsden's left shoulder, which has twice required surgery to repair previous damage.

woo, look like he's coming back......

dw13
07-16-2009, 02:52 PM
The record-setting Texas Tech quarterback signed with the Saskatchewan Roughriders on Thursday.

Any of your guys favorite team?

b_illin
07-16-2009, 03:19 PM
The record-setting Texas Tech quarterback signed with the Saskatchewan Roughriders on Thursday.

Bubbles likes the RR's.

dw13
07-16-2009, 03:22 PM
Bubbles likes the RR's.

He must be happy!

Motorcat
07-16-2009, 03:35 PM
Tigercats on the board with a win last week.

:cool:

two24four
07-16-2009, 03:38 PM
Tigercats on the board with a win last week.

I saw the last of that game last week, I could no believe they won in BC.

Yeah getting Harrell was a nice pickup for the RR's.

phaneuf6
07-16-2009, 08:10 PM
What was that, the first win in BC by an East team in 5 years?

two24four
07-16-2009, 08:37 PM

Really? I thought it was just the Ti-Cats, I know it was there 1st win in BC in about 5 years.

phaneuf6
07-16-2009, 08:51 PM
Really? I thought it was just the Ti-Cats, I know it was there 1st win in BC in about 5 years.

Hm maybe I misheard on SportsCentre then.

secol
07-17-2009, 10:39 PM
stamps are back!!!

phaneuf6
07-18-2009, 09:24 AM
stamps are back!!!

With a vengeance. Ugly game by the Argos.

secol
07-18-2009, 10:48 AM
our offense still looks shaky but that D was looking real good. pounded joseph into submission lol

Motorcat
07-18-2009, 09:19 PM
Tigercats - 25
Winnipeg - 13

Cats go to 2-1

phaneuf6
07-24-2009, 03:17 PM
Serious issues with the Argos right now between Bruce and Andrus.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=285578

two24four
07-25-2009, 11:14 AM
Serious issues with the Argos right now between Bruce and Andrus.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=285578

They did not need Bruce anyways last night. Sounds like they are trying to trade him now.

two24four
07-29-2009, 10:28 AM
Argos trade WR Bruce to Ti-Cats. My question is, why to Ti-Cats? that's like NE trading Brady to the Bills or Jets, or the Giants sending Eli to Dallas it just wont happen.

secol
07-29-2009, 11:48 AM
it was bruce's preferred destination anyways, i'm sure if they had to cut bruce he would've signed there anyways

phaneuf6
07-29-2009, 12:12 PM
Sad to see Bruce go especially the way he did. He'll be great for the TiCats.

Bubbles & Conkey
07-29-2009, 03:06 PM

He must be happy!

Quite Happy about the new QB. I really hope they stick him in soon as our current duo have been less than stellar. They have nothing to loose right now.

Hopefully he can adjust to the CFL game in a hurry.

GO Riders!!

Bubbles & Conkey
07-29-2009, 03:12 PM

This was a interesting story line last season too. The Lions schedule all their home games for 8pm local time. So for the East teams it's like starting at 10 or 11 pm (depending on what team it is). The league would not do anything as the home team can schedule thier games at whatever time they want. Homefield Advantage at it's best. It made me sick!

Motorcat
08-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Tigercats with another win over BC

snoopzen
08-04-2009, 10:22 AM
This was a interesting story line last season too. The Lions schedule all their home games for 8pm local time. So for the East teams it's like starting at 10 or 11 pm (depending on what team it is). The league would not do anything as the home team can schedule thier games at whatever time they want. Homefield Advantage at it's best. It made me sick!So you think that the starting time was less about the interests and convenience of the paying home crowd and more about messing with the visiting team? Really?

Just because they're on the west coast shouldn't mean that all their games should have to start at 5pm local.

Bubbles & Conkey
08-07-2009, 05:18 PM
So you think that the starting time was less about the interests and convenience of the paying home crowd and more about messing with the visiting team? Really?

Yes:D

Just because they're on the west coast shouldn't mean that all their games should have to start at 5pm local.

Yes:D

Motorcat
08-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Nice win over Edmonton for the Tigercats - Hamilton might have something going on this year.

phaneuf6
08-09-2009, 02:07 PM
Hamilton has been playing great football so far. Bruce was a big pickup but all of their receivers have really been catching the ball well, and their offensive line is making it happen by giving Porter time.

two24four
09-01-2009, 11:37 AM
"Pacman" Jones is coming to the CFL, he signed a one year deal with Winnipeg.

two24four
09-02-2009, 10:41 PM
Never mind, Winnipeg backed out, Pacman is not coming to the CFL.

chgorman
09-03-2009, 03:35 PM
Nice win over Edmonton for the Tigercats - Hamilton might have something going on this year.

Motor,

I just accepted a job with the Ticats today, joining their ticket sales & service team, so if you're ever up this way during CFL season, lemme know and I'll get you some tix!!

This offer of course goes for anybody, but Motor is the only Ticats fan I know of around here, lol. I don't start for another week or two, but if anybody is interested in some tix, PM me and I'll what I can do once I start in a week or two.

Bubbles & Conkey
09-04-2009, 09:41 AM
Motor,

I just accepted a job with the Ticats today, joining their ticket sales & service team, so if you're ever up this way during CFL season, lemme know and I'll get you some tix!!

This offer of course goes for anybody, but Motor is the only Ticats fan I know of around here, lol. I don't start for another week or two, but if anybody is interested in some tix, PM me and I'll what I can do once I start in a week or two.

Congrats on the new Job!!:beer::beer:

Bubbles & Conkey
09-04-2009, 09:44 AM
Labor day Weekend has arrived. So many great rivalry's and classic games played this weekend.

I managed to scarf some seats for the Rider/Bomber game on sunday. I'm sooo stoked. Should be Fun

chgorman
09-04-2009, 09:10 PM
Nice! I'm goin' to the Labour Day Classic on Mon.

Motorcat
09-04-2009, 09:54 PM
Motor,

Cool and congrats ........... my reason for being a Tigercats fan ....... the owner of the team operates and I believe lives in Raleigh - actually Cary, a suburb of Raleigh.

Would love to take you up on your offer but all my efforts right now are committed to getting back to Raleigh. Once I am back - I doubt I go anywhere for quite awhile !

Motorcat
09-06-2009, 12:53 PM
Finally someone slows down Montreal.

two24four
09-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Argos win there 1st home game last night in over a year, over the Ti-Cats.

Motorcat
09-12-2009, 11:03 AM

:blah:

That beat down last week in Hamilton must of inspired them.

chgorman
09-12-2009, 06:46 PM

It was a great game despite the Ticats loss. 4th quarter and OT were great!

Bubbles & Conkey
09-14-2009, 09:17 AM
Riders roll!!!!:D

:cheers:

phaneuf6
09-14-2009, 10:04 AM
I hate not having anything to post about while the Argos shit the bed this season once again..when will this end?!

chgorman
11-06-2009, 07:48 PM
I know nobody here probably cares except for me, especially in the middle of the NFL season, but the Ticats are now getting a new Stadium as a result of TO/The Golden Horseshoe winning the 2015 Pan Am Games Bid!

Ivor Wynne will be missed, 80 yrs of tradition and the best sightlines in the CFL, but hopefully the designers can keep a similar concept with the new facility.

and Motor, never addressed this before, but yes, I believe Bob Young (owner) resides in SC. He's a pretty awesome guy.

P.S. Big game on Sunday... a Ticats win over WPG means the first home playoff game in 8 yrs! Sounds pathetic but after what the Ticats have gone through in the past 5+ yrs, this is big news.

Motorcat
11-07-2009, 08:41 AM
I have mentioned it ........... I believe its Cary NC a suburb of Raleigh. Thats where his business interest is.

chgorman
11-07-2009, 11:24 AM
I have mentioned it ........... I believe its Cary NC a suburb of Raleigh. Thats where his business interest is.

Sorry, I meant I never addressed it previously after you mentioned it earlier in the thread, so I was just responding to your comments earlier in the thread with my post yesterday.

with the Eskimo's win over BC yesterday, Ticats officially clinch a playoff spot for the frist time in 5 yrs!!! A win in Winterpeg tomorrow clinches a home game in the 1st rd next wknd, a loss to the Bombers tomorrow means a trip back to Winterpeg next wknd for the 1st rd... GO CATS!!! EAT 'EM RAW!!!

Motorcat
11-07-2009, 11:39 AM
I never mentioned this but before I left Waco I saw a black guy in the nearby grocery store with a Roughriders cap on - I was like WTF

First ever CFL gear I have seen live and in person - can't even recall any at the hockey games despite a strong Canadian presence.

Some of the T-Cats gear is tight .....might break down and score me a cap in the near future.

b_illin
11-07-2009, 12:45 PM
Bob Young is a good guy....I tried to get him to join a potential NLL ownership group 6-7 yrs ago. One of my god buddies and old roommates dad hangs with Bob in Cary. He's the best thing that could ever happen for the Ti-Cats -- super rich local (Hammer) boy who lives elsewhere!

chgorman
11-07-2009, 02:17 PM
Bob is one of - if not THE - best owners in sports. What he's done for the Ticats and the city of Hamilton in general is nothing short of amazing. Similar to the Illitches in DET.

Bubbles & Conkey
11-09-2009, 10:09 AM
Finally the Playoff picture is final. What a wild season!! Riders finish first in the west for the first time in 33 yrs. The Roughriders havn't hosted the west final since 1976. Congrats Riders and all the loyal Rider fans!!

Originally Posted by Motorcat : I never mentioned this but before I left Waco I saw a black guy in the nearby grocery store with a Roughriders cap on - I was like WTF

First ever CFL gear I have seen live and in person

On our recent trip to LA, my wife was wearing her Riders t-shirt while strolling through Hollywood. A few guys across the street started Cheering "GO RIDERS, RIDERS RULE" I know she looks awesome in her Rider gear but I didn't expect Rider Fans on Hollywood Blvd.:)

Shady6833
11-09-2009, 09:24 PM
Finally the Playoff picture is final. What a wild season!! Riders finish first in the west for the first time in 33 yrs. The Roughriders havn't hosted the west final since 1976. Congrats Riders and all the loyal Rider fans!!

On our recent trip to LA, my wife was wearing her Riders t-shirt while strolling through Hollywood. A few guys across the street started Cheering "GO RIDERS, RIDERS RULE" I know she looks awesome in her Rider gear but I didn't expect Rider Fans on Hollywood Blvd.:)

Big ups for the Riders we have been wanting this west home game for a while. I'm hoping (key word here hoping with how hard tickets are to come across around here) to be at that game, hopefully against Calgary:evilgrin:. On the subject of random rider references, was watching an Angels game earlier this year and the camera pans to these 3 early twenty kids wearing watermelons on their heads. They had apparantly snuck out of the nosebleeds to field level seats and were escorted away. Announcers had no clue why they were wearing melons and all I could do was laugh.

secol
11-15-2009, 10:21 PM
Go stamps gooooo!!!

Motorcat
11-15-2009, 10:24 PM
Saw the T-Cats lost today ....... and if memory serves they beat BC 2x this year - 3 in a row is always a bitch in Football, any sport really.

Shady6833
11-16-2009, 01:57 AM
Go stamps gooooo!!!

sorry man but you got one game left so enjoy. It must suck not being invited to your own party lol:beer:

chgorman
11-16-2009, 02:27 PM
Saw the T-Cats lost today ....... and if memory serves they beat BC 2x this year - 3 in a row is always a bitch in Football, any sport really.

It was a heart breaker, for sure. Amazing finish to regulation. Ivor Wynne Stadium was absolutely ROCKING. I think the team spent themselves getting to OT though, 'cuz they didn't seem to have much left in the tank for OT.

All in all, this season was a HUGE success for the team, despite losing yesterday. To go from 3-16 to 2nd place in the East division and hosting a home playoff game in the span of a yr is a huge step forward for the organization. They're only going to get better. Easily the best linebacking corps in the league, an awesome WR corps, a strong RB and O-line, and an experienced vet QB to run things. Things are looking good for this team.

I'm already looking forward to next season. GO CATS!!

secol
11-16-2009, 09:37 PM
sorry man but you got one game left so enjoy. It must suck not being invited to your own party lol:beer:
haha we'll see.....the offense is clicking nicely again, zone read play ftw

Bubbles & Conkey
11-23-2009, 10:46 AM
Wow... how sweet it is to be back in the Grey Cup Game!! Riders beating the defending champs is huge. Calgary looked good in the first Q but faded fast.

Riders will have their hands full with Montreal but should pull out a very close win!!

Riders Roll!!! Riders Rule!!

Shady6833
11-23-2009, 07:06 PM
With the amount of Riders fans who will be in Calgary the 13th man will be on the road with the Riders. The Allouettes aren't ready for us baby. Bring em out Bring em out.

b_illin
11-24-2009, 02:18 PM
Nobody blows like the.....ARRRRRGGGGGGGOOOOOOS!

Bubbles & Conkey
11-25-2009, 09:08 AM
2 million Viewers watched the Riders beat the Stamps.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=299614

Thats a new record!!:cheers:

phaneuf6
11-29-2009, 10:13 PM
Heartbreak in Saskatchewan.

b_illin
11-29-2009, 10:19 PM
Great game!

two24four
11-29-2009, 11:52 PM
I only watched the final 1:30 of this game, wow, what an ending, sucks to be who ever the extra man was at the end of the game for SSK, what a way to lose the Grey Cup, they had it won.

Shady6833
11-30-2009, 01:26 AM
Great game!

Pretty sure your not from the old 306 lol. My emotions went from wanting to cry to wanting to smash the TV and everywhere in between. Settled on sitting and staring at my hands for about half an hour trying to figure out how in the hell my boys fucked it up so bad. Should have known though, we aren't due for another grey cup for another 16 17 odd years.

snoopzen
11-30-2009, 02:09 AM
What a crazy end to the game... but just goes to show how much more exciting the Grey Cup usually is than the Super Bowl.

Motorcat
11-30-2009, 09:21 AM
^ I think the same can be said for the game itself - not only the Grey Cup.

The scoring, field and slight rules differences do make the game interesting to watch.

Bubbles & Conkey
11-30-2009, 10:40 AM
Congrats to The Al's... that's all I have to say.

b_illin
11-30-2009, 12:35 PM
I only watched the final 1:30 of this game, wow, what an ending, sucks to be who ever the extra man was at the end of the game for SSK, what a way to lose the Grey Cup, they had it won.

Are you CDN? I can understand not watching CFL regular season games or even playoff games, but I never miss the Grey Cup...in fact, I had the party this year! (it's an annual thing for my crew)

The Yates and Vanier Cup's were awesome this year as well!

^ I think the same can be said for the game itself - not only the Grey Cup.

The scoring, field and slight rules differences do make the game interesting to watch.

Totally. I had been down on Cdn football the last couple of years, but I am back into now after some great University football and then the great Grey Cup game.

I would LOVE to see the NFL playing the Cdn rules....how awesome would that be?? (imagine guys like Chris Johnson or AP with that extra room...or Andre Johnson/Moss/CJ, etc.)

two24four
11-30-2009, 12:38 PM
Are you CDN? I can understand not watching CFL regular season games or even playoff games, but I never miss the Grey Cup...in fact, I had the party this year! (it's an annual thing for my crew)

The Yates and Vanier Cup's were awesome this year as well!

I use to always watch the CFL, now I just can't get into at all, the NFL is so much better IMO, I dont like that they only have 3 downs to start, the end zones are way to big, I also dont like where they have there goal posts, only 8 teams etc...I just can't get into it at all anymore.

b_illin
11-30-2009, 01:14 PM
I use to always watch the CFL, now I just can't get into at all, the NFL is so much better IMO, I dont like that they only have 3 downs to start, the end zones are way to big, I also dont like where they have there goal posts, only 8 teams etc...I just can't get into it at all anymore.

I'm the same way for the most part (although I like the rules...imagine NFL talent playing those rules!), but the Grey Cup is always good to watch and usually a good game. To each his own I suppose. (traitor :hic:)

two24four
03-17-2010, 10:44 AM
Argos signed QB Cleo Lemon.

Motorcat
06-01-2010, 05:47 PM
I've been checking the Tigercats website every once and awhile just to keep up.

I see not much of a big deal is made about the CFL draft or really anything else off season.

That may be me being a fan outside the given area.

I do have a question for those north of the border - where does the CFL rank in regards to public sentiment of sports leagues in Canada ?

In the States ....

NFL
MLB
NBA
NHL

For me ....

NHL
MLB
NCAA

NASCAR

NFL/CFL

two24four
06-01-2010, 06:04 PM
For the most part, at least around here it's....

NHL
Jr Hockey (this is a Jr hockey town in the winter)
Lacrosse (both MSL and NLL, Lacrosse town in Summer)
MLB
NFL
NCAA
NBA
CFL

Motorcat
06-01-2010, 06:13 PM
That far down - I'm kind of surprised.

I figured it to be more.

Almost appears to be a fringe sport - Like ..........Arena football would be considered here.

Dubz
06-01-2010, 07:00 PM
NHL
NFL
MMA
NASCAR
OHL
CFL
NCAA
PGA
MLB
The rest...Tennis, Womens Beach Volleyball:cool:

If a team were a bit closer I would be a bigger fan and probably a STH

chgorman
06-01-2010, 09:27 PM
That far down - I'm kind of surprised.

I figured it to be more.

Almost appears to be a fringe sport - Like ..........Arena football would be considered here.

No way, not in most parts of the country.

Don't take 24's list too seriously, it is definitely NOT a fair representation of the rest of the country. The city he lives in is smallish, is VERY BIG on junior hockey and hockey in general, as well as lacrosse. TBH, it's a bit of an anomoly IMO in regards to the lacrosse. I think in most places in canada, you can switch lacrosse and the CFL on his list and that would be more accurate for the majority of Canada.

Out in Western and Central Canada (BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba) and Quebec, it's pretty much:

Hockey (NHL, Juniors)
CFL

everything else

and even then, you'll find a lot of ppl in the Western/Central provinces who have CFL at the top of the list.

In Ontario, it's pretty much the same in Hamilton (where I live, where the Ticats are located), but elsewhere in Ontario, interest in the CFL drops a bit to make way for NFL, MLB, NBA, etc, lacrosse in some pockets, interest in MMA is growing but not quite there yet, NCAA is nowhere near as popular as in the US, NASCAR has a following but again, not nearly as big as in the States.

Can't really speak for the Maritime provinces (Newfoundland, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI), so maybe somebody from out that way could chime in, but I'm guessing it's probably most similar to Ontario.

But overall, the CFL has a pretty strong following, especially in the Western/Central Provinces.

The reason the CFL draft isn't big is because it's a huge crapshoot. A) most of the players drafted are from Canadian Universities, which isn't nearly as good talent-wise as the NCAA (much smaller population to draw from, so it makes sense) not nearly as hyped up or followed by most Canadians as the NCAA is by Americans, so most don't even recognize the names of the guys being drafted other than maybe the top 2-3 guys, and B) there's a pretty good chance that anybody who is drafted in the top 4-5 picks will get at least a tryout with an NFL team and may never end up playing for the team that drafted him. I think this happened this year in fact. The 1st or 2nd pick in the CFL draft this yr may have already signed a contract with an NFL team if I remember correctly. Pretty tough to get excited for a draft where there aren't really any marquee players involved (most of the best, marquee players in the CFL are Americans who sign free agent contracts, aren't usually drafted because they'd rather take a shot at the NFL and thus don't even enter the CFL draft), and there's a pretty good chance that the marquee players who are involved won't even end up playing for the team that drafted them, and will end up on an NFL practice roster or better.

Hopefully that sheds some light on it for ya Motor. Unfortunately there isn't really much to get excited about in the offseason aside from the occasional trade, but I can tell you that people in Hamilton are definitely getting excited now that training camp is getting started tomorrow.

Dubz
06-01-2010, 09:52 PM
So Gorms is saying any talent goes to the NFL. I know out in the prarie provinces the CFL is the shit. Other than that i doubt it has a stronghold anywhere other than its host cities....like I said before, if there was a team close enough (not a 4 hour drive to TO/Hammer) i would probably be huge fan. Live sports rule...especially "cheap" ones:D

chgorman
06-01-2010, 10:30 PM
So Gorms is saying any talent goes to the NFL. I know out in the prarie provinces the CFL is the shit. Other than that i doubt it has a stronghold anywhere other than its host cities....like I said before, if there was a team close enough (not a 4 hour drive to TO/Hammer) i would probably be huge fan. Live sports rule...especially "cheap" ones:D

I think saying 'any' talent goes the NFL is a bit harsh and misleading. I'd say the best talents end up in the NFL (why wouldn't they when they can make 10 times as much just being on an NFL practice roster... CFL salary cap is around 4 mill per team, NFL is $128 mil... no contest there), but there's still some very highly skilled players playing in the CFL. The league doesn't get nearly the same hype as the NFL simply because the NFL marketing machine is insanely huge while the CFL is a much lower budget league driven by gate receipts as opposed to tv deals, but the best CFL highlights are just as good as the best NFL highlights out there IMO.

You should try and make it to a game some time Dubz. The Ticats have a great team this yr and the atmosphere at Ivor Wynne is great even on the worst days, phenominal when the team is playing well and it's a nice day. The atmosphere at the Labour Day Classic last season was fantastic, electric even, is it is every Labour Day. anytime the ArgoNOTS are in town, you can expect some serious electric vibes in the stadium.

word of advice though.... DO NOT go to watch a game at the Rogers Centre. the stadium itself will ruin your entire experience, and that's not even mentioning the pitiful product they're putting on the field. The Rogers Centre is the worst place in the entire world to watch football. I feel sorry for those paying huge $$ to go see the Bills play there. At least the Agros are affordable even though they suck and the Rogers Centre is a terrible place to watch football.

two24four
06-01-2010, 10:53 PM

I agree, other then in the cities the CFL is played in, and a few cities close by, the CFL is really not that big, it's not to offen I hear someone say "do you want to head to a CFL game".

I do agree that in Ontraio, Hamilton is the place to be for CFL, the have the best fans CFL wise in Ontario.

two24four
06-01-2010, 10:58 PM
No way, not in most parts of the country.

Don't take 24's list too seriously, it is definitely NOT a fair representation of the rest of the country. The city he lives in is smallish, is VERY BIG on junior hockey and hockey in general, as well as lacrosse. TBH, it's a bit of an anomoly IMO in regards to the lacrosse. I think in most places in canada, you can switch lacrosse and the CFL on his list and that would be more accurate for the majority of Canada.

Why do you say that? Lacrosse is getting much bigger, and in case you did not know, it's Canada's National summer game. I will take (box) Lacrosse any day over the CFL, twise on Sunday's.

Dubz
06-01-2010, 11:30 PM
I think saying 'any' talent goes the NFL is a bit harsh and misleading. I'd say the best talents end up in the NFL (why wouldn't they when they can make 10 times as much just being on an NFL practice roster... CFL salary cap is around 4 mill per team, NFL is $128 mil... no contest there), but there's still some very highly skilled players playing in the CFL. The league doesn't get nearly the same hype as the NFL simply because the NFL marketing machine is insanely huge while the CFL is a much lower budget league driven by gate receipts as opposed to tv deals, but the best CFL highlights are just as good as the best NFL highlights out there IMO.

You should try and make it to a game some time Dubz. The Ticats have a great team this yr and the atmosphere at Ivor Wynne is great even on the worst days, phenominal when the team is playing well and it's a nice day. The atmosphere at the Labour Day Classic last season was fantastic, electric even, is it is every Labour Day. anytime the ArgoNOTS are in town, you can expect some serious electric vibes in the stadium.

word of advice though.... DO NOT go to watch a game at the Rogers Centre. the stadium itself will ruin your entire experience, and that's not even mentioning the pitiful product they're putting on the field. The Rogers Centre is the worst place in the entire world to watch football. I feel sorry for those paying huge $$ to go see the Bills play there. At least the Agros are affordable even though they suck and the Rogers Centre is a terrible place to watch football.

Well...ive been invited to see the Args many times. 8 plus hours on the highway to see a 2 hour CFL game just isnt worth it.

Are you inviting me up? Got Tix?:cool: Sorry for being critical but im simply stating what i believe to be facts. I know i tend to exaggerate and over react but thats just me. I dont mean any harm or to belittle the league or its supporters. :beer:<---that the closest thing we have to a peace bro emoticon.

There is some good football in the CFL, especially through the air and on kick returns. I dont think its fair to argue almost any comparisons to the NFL due to the talent difference tho... The hype is that the NFL has the best players AND markets them (itself) Its not simply that they are a marketing machine imo (although you arent wrong in pointing out that is part of it) Its not simple in terms of how the pre pros play down in the USA. Its a fucking religion in most parts...its just a little more complicated than saying marketing is the simple answer.

Hey, hockey (in any capacity) is a religion in most parts of Canada...not sure where im going with this, just sayin', I think there a few more Canadian players that make the pros than other countries (this number is decreasing and im not so sure if thats true when it comes to US players and Football)

chgorman
06-02-2010, 06:40 AM
Why do you say that? Lacrosse is getting much bigger, and in case you did not know, it's Canada's National summer game. I will take (box) Lacrosse any day over the CFL, twise on Sunday's.

Because aside from in Peterborough and Brantford, Lacrosse really isn't that big anywhere else. Those are two of the pockets that I mentioned in one of my posts above where it's popular and lots of people are interested, but outside of those two cities, where else is it really popular in Ontario? I can't speak for the other provinces, so maybe it's more popular out west or out east/Quebec, but just as you say 'it's not to offen I hear someone say "do you want to head to a CFL game".', I've NEVER heard anybody say 'do you want to head to a NLL/MLL game?' aside from the one time my buddy invited me to go to a Rock game with him, and it was only because his boss had given him free tix, he didn't want them to go to waste and needed someone to go with.

And yes, I know Lacrosse is Canada's national game, or national summer game, or whatever, but that still doesn't mean it's more popular than the CFL. In certain small parts of the province/country, yes, lacrosse is more popular, and I agree, it's definitely growing in popularity, but as a whole, Canada wide, it's still not at nearly the same level as the CFL in regards to fan interest.

I realize you hate the CFL, fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion, I have no problem with that, but please don't go spreading false info on it just because you are an NFL elitist and prefer Lacrosse over the CFL too. I'm not asking you tell everyone it's the best game on earth and pump it up like it's the best league around, but when an American shows some interest in it and asks for some honest info about it, there's really no need to slag on it and spread false info. i don't go around slagging on the NLL/MLL even though they're fringe leagues around here, why do you feel the need to hate on the CFL so much?

You should give it more of a chance, watch a couple games, try to get out to a game or two at Ivor Wynne. I can get you tix if you want. It's not the CFL from 10 yrs ago when the league was in disarray and the product on the field was weak. The game and league has improved leaps and bounds from back then. Give it a chance, you might enjoy it. There's a reason CFL on TSN is a huge property for the network, second only to the NHL in terms of viewership, and actually, on a game by game basis for the average game, the CFL actually draws MORE viewers than the NHL on TSN.

chgorman
06-02-2010, 06:43 AM
I agree, other then in the cities the CFL is played in, and a few cities close by, the CFL is really not that big, it's not to offen I hear someone say "do you want to head to a CFL game".

I do agree that in Ontraio, Hamilton is the place to be for CFL, the have the best fans CFL wise in Ontario.

What's your definition of 'close by'? The Ticats have lots of season seat holders in London and areas around London, and it's 1 1/2 hrs away.

chgorman
06-02-2010, 06:49 AM
Well...ive been invited to see the Args many times. 8 plus hours on the highway to see a 2 hour CFL game just isnt worth it.

Are you inviting me up? Got Tix?:cool: Sorry for being critical but im simply stating what i believe to be facts. I know i tend to exaggerate and over react but thats just me. I dont mean any harm or to belittle the league or its supporters. :beer:<---that the closest thing we have to a peace bro emoticon.

There is some good football in the CFL, especially through the air and on kick returns. I dont think its fair to argue almost any comparisons to the NFL due to the talent difference tho... The hype is that the NFL has the best players AND markets them (itself) Its not simply that they are a marketing machine imo (although you arent wrong in pointing out that is part of it) Its not simple in terms of how the pre pros play down in the USA. Its a fucking religion in most parts...its just a little more complicated than saying marketing is the simple answer.

Hey, hockey (in any capacity) is a religion in most parts of Canada...not sure where im going with this, just sayin', I think there a few more Canadian players that make the pros than other countries (this number is decreasing and im not so sure if thats true when it comes to US players and Football)

Sure!! Make a trip to the hammer for a game and I'll make sure you get some great seats at a great price (how does free sound? ;):D )

b_illin
06-02-2010, 09:45 AM
Sure!! Make a trip to the hammer for a game and I'll make sure you get some great seats at a great price (how does free sound? ;):D )
That could an HI event as well if we never do a Jays game.

PS: CFL is bigger than Lacrosse in Canada...I like Lacrosse (speaking of which, did anybody see the OT in the Duke/Notre Dame finals??? Wow!) but it isn't nearly as big outside of Ontario and BC as the CFL.

two24four
06-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Just for the record, I have said nothing bad about the CFL in my last few posts, I have never once told people to not watch it, go ahead, I could care less. I also never said Lacrosse was more popular then the CFL.

Lacrosse is big in a few more towns then just Ptbo and Brantford, Orangeville is a hot bed for Lacrosse, Brampton has won the last two Mann Cups, the Six Nations teams it's big both in Sr and Jr, it's big in Akwesasne as well, Durham now has two teams in the summer league (MSL) Brooklin and Ajax-Pickering. Out West Victoria is the place to be for Lacrosse in the Summer, as well as New Westminster.

Hey b_ you going to get out to any MSL games this summer? Ptbo is stacked this year with great players....

John Grant Jr
Jonh Tavares
Mark Steenhuis
Shawn and Scott Evans
Geoff Snider
Tracy Kelusky
Steve Toll

The list goes on and on.

b_illin
06-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Just for the record, I have said nothing bad about the CFL in my last few posts, I have never once told people to not watch it, go ahead, I could care less. I also never said Lacrosse was more popular then the CFL.

Lacrosse is big in a few more towns then just Ptbo and Brantford, Orangeville is a hot bed for Lacrosse, Brampton has won the last two Mann Cups, the Six Nations teams it's big both in Sr and Jr, it's big in Akwesasne as well, Durham now has two teams in the summer league (MSL) Brooklin and Ajax-Pickering. Out West Victoria is the place to be for Lacrosse in the Summer, as well as New Westminster.

Hey b_ you going to get out to any MSL games this summer? Ptbo is stacked this year with great players....

John Grant Jr
Jonh Tavares
Mark Steenhuis
Shawn and Scott Evans
Geoff Snider
Tracy Kelusky
Steve Toll

The list goes on and on.

I've been thinking I'd like to, yes, but I have never been to an MLL game before. Let me know if you're going to any games and I might come along....I bet Moans and Phaneuf would come too...maybe a few others.

chgorman
06-02-2010, 12:30 PM
Just for the record, I have said nothing bad about the CFL in my last few posts, I have never once told people to not watch it, go ahead, I could care less.

No?

other then in the cities the CFL is played in, and a few cities close by, the CFL is really not that big, it's not to offen I hear someone say "do you want to head to a CFL game".

What do you call this? First you say it's not that big (t.v. viewership numbers say otherwise), then you go on to say you rarely hear someone say 'do you want to head to a CFL game?', as if that somehow indicates that 'it's not that big' just because people don't actually talk about going to games around you, even though tons watch it on tv. I never hear people around me say 'do you want to go to a Jays game?' or 'Do you want to go to a Raptors game?', simply because for the most part, people around me aren't really interested in baseball or basketball, but does that make me believe that MLB and NBA aren't popular in Ontario and Canada in general? No, I know better. I know that even though the people around me don't ever talk about going to games, I know tons of people in general still watch Jays/Raps games and have a serious interest in them and their respective sports.

How am I to interpret your comments other than you saying something bad about the CFL? I certainly wouldn't consider those comments being you saying something good about it.

In your original post after Motor posted his question, you didn't really specify what 'around here' refers to and thus made it sound like your priority/interest level list applies to most of Ontario, or even Canada, even though it was more a reference to P-bo in general, and even then, it sounds more like just YOUR preference, as opposed to a general list for P-bo and the surrounding area as a whole. NHL, Junior Hockey, Lacrosse, even MLB and NFL, fair enough, but I have a tough time believing that NBA and NCAA are ahead of the CFL for the majority of people in P-bo in regards to interest level. Maybe things have changed a bunch in the past 10 yrs since I was at Fleming for college, but even back then, CFL was still ahead of NCAA and NBA in terms of interest level amongst most of the people I associated with (both P-bo natives and out-of-towners), and that's when the league was suffering and viewership was at it's worst.

How about this?

I will take (box) Lacrosse any day over the CFL, twise on Sunday's.

I realize this is a personal preference, doesn't necessarily reflect the opinions of anyone else, and maybe not an intentional slag on the CFL, but it's not the least bit complimentary either when you're basically saying you'd rather watch an exhibition lacrosse match over the Grey Cup, which is kinda ridiculous and might be why Americans think the CFL is such a fringe league (even though it's not) when they hear Canadians making comments like this.

I also never said Lacrosse was more popular then the CFL.

Really?

For the most part, at least around here it's....

NHL
Jr Hockey (this is a Jr hockey town in the winter)
Lacrosse (both MSL and NLL, Lacrosse town in Summer)
MLB
NFL
NCAA
NBA
CFL

I think you did, right there

Ok, fair enough, I appreciate you explaining that. I had no idea it was so big in Brampton and Orangeville, Durham, Ajax-Pickering. I did know it was big amongst 6 Nations and whatnot. Have no idea where Akwesasne is, but I'll take your word for it, haha.

I guess the thing that bothers me most is that everytime someone brings up the CFL, you're almost always one of the first to jump in and say 'I don't like/watch the CFL, NFL is way better', 'I just can't get into it', insinuate that it's not popular, etc. you're not intentionally slaggin it, I don't think, but you're also not saying anything positive about it, it's almost always negatively tinted. I know you're passionate about the Leafs, Lacrosse, the Pats, etc... would you like it if I went into those threads and posted about how I just can't get into lacrosse and it's a fringe game, not popular (for the record, I don't mind it, it's an exciting game, I just don't follow it super closely), how much I hate the Leafs/Pats, etc? that's what I'm getting at. If you don't like the CFL, can't get into it, etc, fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion, but do we need to hear it every time the topic is brought up? If you don't like the CFL, fine, just stay out of the thread, but plz don't try to insinuate that it's not popular in Cananda when an American (or anybody for that matter) asks about it, 'cuz that's absolutely not correct.

two24four
06-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Wow, I'm done with this, you are taking what I say way off, I will say again I have never once said the CFL is a joke, or sucks etc....or anything like that in the last day or so since this came up, you think what ever you want dude.

You can keep writing short storys, I would be reading, peace.

chgorman
06-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Wow, I'm done with this, you are taking what I say way off, I will say again I have never once said the CFL is a joke, or sucks etc....or anything like that in the last day or so since this came up, you think what ever you want dude.

You can keep writing short storys, I would be reading, peace.

:lol::lol: relax dude. You were saying misleading/inaccurate things about the CFL, I corrected you so that Motor wouldn't get the wrong idea, then you got all defensive about Lacrosse. I explained my comments, which you took issue with again and felt the need to defend yourself with some more inaccurate comments about what you said, saying you didn't say things that you clearly did. I called you out because you were lying, then you say I'm taking what you said the wrong way even though your exact words are right there for all to see.

I'm not trying to be dick about this, but if you can't back up the things you're saying and then get all defensive when someone questions your comments, then why are you saying them, why are you here? It just confuses people and misleads them.

PS Nice job on the 'keep writing short stories' cop-out comment... "I would be reading, peace."..... huh? :confused::wtf:

Dubz
06-02-2010, 05:51 PM

Well can we negotiate the price:lol: In all seriousness....my buddy and I wouldnt mind wearing some Argo colours in your building:D If we can work in an Argos road game that i can fit it in my schedule i will hold you to this. (if you get the tix free thats fine...if you have to pay, i will repay you;)) Thanks man

chgorman
06-02-2010, 06:52 PM
Well can we negotiate the price:lol: In all seriousness....my buddy and I wouldnt mind wearing some Argo colours in your building:D If we can work in an Argos road game that i can fit it in my schedule i will hold you to this. (if you get the tix free thats fine...if you have to pay, i will repay you;)) Thanks man

Nice! I hope you do! The Argos only hit the Hammer once this year, the Labour Day Classic, so If you can make it to Hamilton for that game, I'll make sure I have some tix for ya. Best case, they'll be free, worst case they'll be half price, but if you want good seats then you'll need to let me know sooner than later as that's the marquee matchup on the Ticats home sched, will definitely be a sellout, and quality seats locations are already disappearing fast now that single game tix have gone on sale to the general public as of yesterday.

P.S. - hope you and your buddy have some thick skin if you're planning on wearing Argo gear to a game in Hamilton. ;):lol: you won't be welcomed warmly, and if the Argos are losing (highly likely given the team they're likely to put on the field this yr) you likely won't hear the end of it. there's some seriusly passionate fans in Hamilton, and the rivalry with the Argos is more intense deeper rooted than Leafs/Habs or Leafs/Sens, to put it in perspective for ya. The cities hate each other, the fans hate each other, the teams/players hate each other... there a lot of hate going on. You'll still have a great time at the game, but you'll probably take some verbal abuse in the process, haha

Dubz
06-02-2010, 07:31 PM
Sounds like fun...ill send my buddy a text.

b_illin
06-03-2010, 11:01 AM

No?

What do you call this? First you say it's not that big (t.v. viewership numbers say otherwise), then you go on to say you rarely hear someone say 'do you want to head to a CFL game?', as if that somehow indicates that 'it's not that big' just because people don't actually talk about going to games around you, even though tons watch it on tv. I never hear people around me say 'do you want to go to a Jays game?' or 'Do you want to go to a Raptors game?', simply because for the most part, people around me aren't really interested in baseball or basketball, but does that make me believe that MLB and NBA aren't popular in Ontario and Canada in general? No, I know better. I know that even though the people around me don't ever talk about going to games, I know tons of people in general still watch Jays/Raps games and have a serious interest in them and their respective sports.

Not to be a dick as I don't mind the CFL (watch a game or two/year), but you call it the truth man. At least in these parts. (you live in the Hammer and work for the team....you're bound to be a little biased)

chgorman
06-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Not to be a dick as I don't mind the CFL (watch a game or two/year), but you call it the truth man. At least in these parts. (you live in the Hammer and work for the team....you're bound to be a little biased)

Fair enough, but so is someone who has zero interest in the CFL and is an NFL elitist. they're bound to be a little biased too.

And regardless, it's not the truth. The CFL is big. On a per game basis, the CFL has a higher viewership than the NHL on TSN. Are you saying the NHL isn't big around here?

If the CFL is as irrelevant as you and 24 are making it out to be, then why does TSN air every single game? They're not gonna air every single game if people aren't watching and it's not profitable.

The problem is that there are very few fairweather CFL fans. For the most part, most ppl are either a huge CFL fan, or they don't follow it at all, there's verry little middle ground. So those who are fans likely also have friends/family who are big fans and talk about it with them all the time, watch a lot of the games, are exposed to it alot, etc. Whereas those who don't follow it, don't watch it and are primarily fans of the NFL (when it comes to football), such as you and 24, aren't exposed to it much and thus it appears that there's less interest in it overall than there really is, it appears as more a fringe sport to you guys when it really isn't. I can't speak for the Argos, but the Ticats have fans everywhere in Ontario. Believe me, I call people every day from Windsor to Thunder Bay to Ottawa and everywhere in between, and that's just the people who have bought a ticket in the past yr, to say nothing of those who watch on tv.

Believe what you want, I can't force you to think that the CFL is popular, but I can provide you with the attendance and viewership numbers to prove that it is, if you care, which you probably don't.

b_illin
06-03-2010, 01:53 PM
And regardless, it's not the truth. The CFL is big. On a per game basis, the CFL has a higher viewership than the NHL on TSN. Are you saying the NHL isn't big around here?

If the CFL is as irrelevant as you and 24 are making it out to be, then why does TSN air every single game? They're gonna air every single game if people aren't watching and it's not profitable.

The Hammer is a pocket with lots of fans, but the reality is that while there are a good number of CFL fans in Ontario, it's more of a cult following than anything mainstream. The CFL is popular in other parts of the country (eg. the Prairies) for sure but keep in mind the CFL teams are their major sports teams out there - all they have to do is compete with WHL games...and even then, their seasons barely overlap.

In regards to the numbers and why TSN broadcasts the games, we both know it's because they get the rights to broadcast those games dirt cheap. And while I am sure lots of hardcore CFL fans make up a good chunk of those viewers, I bet there are a lot of ppl who watch the game because it's on when there are no other sports on that interest them. If you don't like baseball, what sport do you watch on TV on a Friday night in the Summer? So I think those viewer numbers have as much to do with the time of year and lack of alternatives than it does with hardcore CFL fans watching the game they love.

chgorman
06-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Fair enough, I'm kinda busy right now, so don't have a ton of time to debate, but the orginal question asked by Motor, before the thread got away from his question was "where does the CFL rank in regards to public sentiment of sports leagues in Canada ?"

There were a couple responses from 24 and Dubz that seemed to be more personal preferences as opposed to their thoughts on the entire country or even just Ontario or their local regions more specifically. My response was that in the prairies, out west and to a lesser extend (in regards to the CFL) in Quebec, it's Hockey (NHL, Junior), CFL, then everything else for the most part, while in Ontario (aside from Hamilton), it's pretty much hockey (NHL, Junior), MLB/NFL/NBA to slightly varying degrees, CFL, then everything else. Do you agree, disagree, or other?

b_illin
06-03-2010, 02:56 PM
I think that's a fair assessment. The CFL is popular, but it is niche popular if that makes sense. There will always be dudes that prefer the CFL over most other sports the same way there will always be dudes who prefer the NFL/NBA/MLB over the CFL. (NHL reigns supreme for the most part with maybe an exception in the Prairies)

moans
06-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Here's how I think they rank up around here:
NHL
NFL
NCAA (March Madness)
MLB
NBA
MMA
F1/NASCAR
CFL
PGA (if we're only counting majors, it moves ahead of auto racing)
JR Hockey
Lacrosse

chgorman
06-03-2010, 03:22 PM
Here's how I think they rank up around here:
NHL
NFL
NCAA (March Madness)
MLB
NBA
MMA
F1/NASCAR
CFL
PGA (if we're only counting majors, it moves ahead of auto racing)
JR Hockey
Lacrosse

You're in Oakville or Burlington or something, right? The placement of all of these bolded ones really surprises me. Nascar... maybe. F1? Seriously? Not sure you can count March maddness since it's only a month, and I doubt that many ppl watch the NCAA reg season. I know MMA is growing by leaps and bounds, but I still think most tppl think of it as somewhat of a fringe sport with mostly a cult following (similar to how b_ill describes the CFL).

But I'm not gonna argue, just surprised that those ones are that high on the list. I'm not too far from Burl/Oak, and I'd put CFL, Lacrosse, Jr hockey above all of those bolded ones.

two24four
06-03-2010, 05:06 PM
NCAA football on Saturday afternoon's I know is huge for alot of people in Canada, even more so for the guys who watch the NFL, it's a great chance to watch upcoming players, it's great football as well IMO.

I dont think many people watch NCAA basketball in Canada as much outside of March Madness.

MMA is the fastest growing sport right now, but for the most part a live event is only on every couple of Saturday night's at 10pm.

NASCAR has a huge following, if it's on I'm sure the ratings go through the roof.

I know nothing about F1, not sure what they get for fans.

Jr Hockey is getting much bigger on TV now that they have the OHL action pack, so people can watch pretty much every OHL game if they want, outside of home games for Erie, Plymouth and Saginaw.

Motorcat
06-03-2010, 05:32 PM
Using moan's rankings as agreeably close for everybody

I'm kind of surprised some leagues are ranked as high as they are.

NFL - I can see it but figured no home team in the sport would damper the love somewhat.

NASCAR ...... I know there is some interest in Toronto - NASCAR has had conversations about an exhibition but overall, I figured little to no interest

NCAA ...... March Madness aside, I think of the NCAA as more of a home team sport - local colleges - regional interest. Maybe I underestimate the draw of the college game.

two24four
06-03-2010, 05:39 PM
NFL is huge here, it's fun to watch as well with a group of people, for the most part most people cheer for diff teams, other then around Toronto and Niagara area where alot of people cheer for the Bills.

Like just look at the people on here from around Canada.

b_ is a Steelers fan, Dubz is a DET fan, chgorman is a Miami and DET fan I think? Phanauf6 is a KC fan, Iam a Pats fan etc....

Dubz
06-03-2010, 06:36 PM
Using moan's rankings as agreeably close for everybody

I'm kind of surprised some leagues are ranked as high as they are.

NFL - I can see it but figured no home team in the sport would damper the love somewhat.

NASCAR ...... I know there is some interest in Toronto - NASCAR has had conversations about an exhibition but overall, I figured little to no interest

NCAA ...... March Madness aside, I think of the NCAA as more of a home team sport - local colleges - regional interest. Maybe I underestimate the draw of the college game.

Canadians love to race but i would have to use Gorms marketing machine excuse/reason on NASCAR in Canada. They (we) dont even host a race or have a damn driver or two that i can think of off the top of my head.....so i see that as the "only" angle.

Anyhow...Gorms if you are reading lock those tix up. Ive got it booked:cool:

b_illin
06-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Canadians love to race but i would have to use Gorms marketing machine excuse/reason on NASCAR in Canada. They (we) dont even host a race or have a damn driver or two that i can think of off the top of my head.....so i see that as the "only" angle.

Anyhow...Gorms if you are reading lock those tix up. Ive got it booked:cool:

There are Cdn Drivers....more on the Truck and Nationwide series, but there are....and MTL is having a Nationwide race this Summer in August...and there is talk of having a race in Southern Ontario once there is a proper track.

Kyle
06-03-2010, 09:49 PM
Edit - Just realized its not worth setting off the inevitable timebomb just to add my input on a discussion thats already over.

Dubz
06-04-2010, 02:35 AM
There are Cdn Drivers....more on the Truck and Nationwide series, but there are....and MTL is having a Nationwide race this Summer in August...and there is talk of having a race in Southern Ontario once there is a proper track.

Yeah...thats what i said

HT9
06-04-2010, 05:47 AM
I think I know 3 people that like the CFL, that's alot right ?

chgorman
06-04-2010, 06:22 AM
I think I know 3 people that like the CFL, that's alot right ?

Depends how many people you know :lol:

chgorman
06-04-2010, 06:37 AM
Edit - Just realized its not worth setting off the inevitable timebomb just to add my input on a discussion thats already over.

If you're holding back because of me and you're worried that I'll get all pissy, don't worry about it. I've said my piece, it's pretty clear I'm not convincing anyone or changing anyone's mind on anything in regards to the CFL's popularity, so I'm not gonna waste any more of my time and push it any further, I'm dropping it. So if you've got something to contribute to the discussion, let 'er rip.

moans
06-04-2010, 09:34 AM
It really depends where you're situated. CFL could be number one in a place like saskatoon.

NASCAR sucks, but you can't argue with it's near cult-like fanbase. I just grouped F1 with it because it's auto racing.

MMA could possibly be higher. We actually have the largest fan base of the sport here in southern ontario.

NCAA football is pretty big up here. NCAA basketball regular season is boring, but March Madness more than makes up for it.

HT9
06-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Depends how many people you know :lol:

Touche :D

Kyle
06-04-2010, 09:16 PM
If you're holding back because of me and you're worried that I'll get all pissy, don't worry about it. I've said my piece, it's pretty clear I'm not convincing anyone or changing anyone's mind on anything in regards to the CFL's popularity, so I'm not gonna waste any more of my time and push it any further, I'm dropping it. So if you've got something to contribute to the discussion, let 'er rip.

It wasn't much of a contribution and theres nothing productive about sharing why I think the CFL is a joke sport, its not that you would've been pissy as much as what I was saying would've done nothing but instigate CFL fans. Just no point when the discussion is behind us already.

chgorman
06-04-2010, 10:14 PM
It wasn't much of a contribution and theres nothing productive about sharing why I think the CFL is a joke sport, its not that you would've been pissy as much as what I was saying would've done nothing but instigate CFL fans. Just no point when the discussion is behind us already.

Haha, fair enough. From the sounds of things, I'm the only CFL fan here anyway, so it's kinda the same thing :lol:

b_illin
06-05-2010, 10:50 AM
While I am no big CFL fan, it is not a joke sport. The CDN game is awesome - if NFL players played CDN rules you guys would love it. The league, while also not a joke, is not at the same calibre of the NFL or even NCAA Division 1, but it's entertaining enough.

Kyle
06-05-2010, 12:58 PM
I clarified in a PM to Chg that "joke" was not the actual word I used in my edited post and more or less I just made the point that it compares more with Arena Football than NFL football. And I can only disagree with the CDN rules being more fun, I don't like 110 yard fields, 3 downs, or points awarded for missed field goals, but I do understand the rules have to be adjusted to maximize the potential entertainment with the athletes available. Still though, I think the games are way less strategic than NFL.

two24four
06-05-2010, 01:04 PM
I clarified in a PM to Chg that "joke" was not the actual word I used in my edited post and more or less I just made the point that it compares more with Arena Football than NFL football. And I can only disagree with the CDN rules being more fun, I don't like 110 yard fields, 3 downs, or points awarded for missed field goals, but I do understand the rules have to be adjusted to maximize the potential entertainment with the athletes available. Still though, I think the games are way less strategic than NFL.

Agreed, and that's all I will say :D:)

Kyle
06-05-2010, 01:06 PM
Fuck it, if we're on the subject anyway, I'll post my PM response to Chg here:

I should be more specific, I didn't directly refer to it as a joke sport in my original post that I edited, but I more or less attacked your comparison to Canadian Lacrosse.

My logic was as such: While the CFL may be more popular than Lacrosse, the latter is much more legitimate because at least Lacrosse features top athletes in the field. There isn't (To my knowledge) another Lacrosse league that steals the best players like the CFL has to deal with so popularity aside, at least Lacrosse offers top-notch footage for fans of the sport. They get to watch it performed at its finest.

The CFL for obvious reasons does not offer the same for fans of good football. While I don't doubt its popularity up north because you guys are some serious traditionalists (I don't say this in a bad way at all, I wish America had some sense of tradition whatsoever), I don't necessarily think any TV ratings could disprove its a fringe sport. Outside of the moronic variations of time-proven football rules, the level of competition is simply inferior to any league that gets to feature the best in the field.

That is why IMO the CFL is easily comparable to the Arena Football League despite its much higher popularity. Both are plagued by silly rules that simply make football less interesting and less strategic and both feature a couple offensive stars on each team who basically annihilate poor defenses night in and night out. Its not legitimate competition in any way to me.

And you mentioned that the highlights rank up there with the best NFL highlights. But if I played football with a group of preschoolers, I could film the sickest highlight reel ever. Reggie Bush accumulated arguably the best high school + college football highlight reel in the history of professional sports but has been a mediocre NFL back and hardly produces one highlight play a year. Because he just made bad defenders look worse in college and hasn't figured out how to consistently produce against the best.

Also, defensive talent overall is much more difficult to come by and in much lower supply than offensive talent so the end result is a bunch of very gifted offensive players who barely missed the NFL against weak defenses which spells instant highlight reels. But that doesn't mean we can compare them to NFL highlights which may even be less flashy but are much more impressive because they're accomplished against the best defenses and the best coaching staffs in the world. Unbalanced competition will make for a sick highlight reel but the best highlights have to be reserved for the top level of competition. Any average Joe who played QB in high school can join the arena football league and throw 10 40 yard touchdowns to a guy that nobody on the defense can catch, those highlights would bore me though.

Theres my thoughts on it, I'm addicted to Ninja Warrior so believe me when I say theres no shame in loving a fringe sport. I just really think CFL belongs in the same sentence as the AFL before the top professional leagues,

b_illin
06-05-2010, 01:14 PM

but that's not why our rules are different - they're different because a hundred or so years ago when football started to be played at Universities, etc., you guys went forward with your rules and we went forward with ours.

It's because the rules are different that the Cdn game requires smaller, faster players in general (OL, DE/DT, LB, etc. included). There is less talent in the CFL strictly because the NFL is the big money league, not because of the rules.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Canadian_and_American_football

Football was introduced (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_American_football) to North America in Canada (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada) by the British Army garrison in Montreal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal), which played a series of games with McGill University (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McGill_University).[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Canadian_and_American_football#cite_ note-Football_Canada_timeline-0) In 1874, USA's Harvard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvard_University) hosted Canada's McGill University to play the new game derived from Rugby football in a home and home series. Many of the similarities and differences between the Canadian and American games indeed came out of this original home and home series where each home team set the rules. For instance, Harvard, because of a lack of campus space did not have a full-sized rugby pitch. Their pitch was only 100 yards long by 50 yards wide with undersized endzones (slightly less than the 53⅓-yard width of the current regulation size for American Football). Because of the reduced field, the Harvard team opted for 11 players per side, four fewer than the regulation 15 of Rugby Union. To generate more offence, the number of downs was also increased by Harvard to 4 from 3 as set by McGill. Both the Canadian and American games still have some things in common with the two varieties of rugby, especially rugby league (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_league), and, because of the similarities, the National Football League (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League) (NFL) has established a formal relationship with the Canadian Football League (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Football_League) (CFL).
Many, perhaps most, of the rules differences have arisen because of rules changes in American football in the early twentieth century which have not been copied by Canadian football. The major Canadian codes never abolished the onside scrimmage kick (see Kicker advancing the ball (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Canadian_and_American_football#Kicke r_advancing_the_ball) below) or restricted backfield motion, while the American college football (from whose code all American codes derive) did. Canadian football was later in adopting the hand snap and the forward pass, although one would not suspect the latter from play today. Additionally, Canadian football was slower in removing restrictions on blocking, but caught up by the 1970s so that no significant differences remain today. Similarly, differences in scoring (the Canadian game valuing touchdowns less) opened up from the late 19th century but were erased by the 1950s. An area in which American football has been more conservative is the retention of the fair catch (see below).
In some regions along the Canada-USA border, especially western areas, some high schools from opposite sides of the border will regularly play games against one another (typically one or two per team per season). By agreement between the governing bodies involved, the field of the home team is considered a legal field, although it is a different size from one school's normal field. In all but a few cases, the rules of the home team are followed throughout the game.
Many CFL players are Americans who grew up playing American football and cannot find a place in the NFL, or who prefer to play in the CFL; import quotas restrict the number of non-Canadian players. For individuals who played both American and Canadian football professionally, their career statistic totals are considered to be their combined totals from their careers in both the CFL and NFL. Warren Moon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Moon), for example, was the all-time professional football leader in passing yards after an illustrious career in both leagues. He was surpassed in 2006 by Damon Allen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damon_Allen), whose career has been exclusively in the CFL.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_football

Modern American football has its origins in various games, all known as "football (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football)", played at public schools (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Public_school_%28MT%29&action=edit&redlink=1) in England (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England) in the mid-19th century. By the 1840s, students at Rugby School (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_School) were playing a game in which players were able to pick up the ball and run with it, a sport later known as Rugby football (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_football). The game was taken to Canada (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada) by British soldiers stationed there and was soon being played at Canadian colleges.
The first "football" game played between teams representing colleges was an unfamiliar ancestor of today's college football, as it was played under 99 years old soccer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soccer)-style Association rules.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_football#cite_note-0) The game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1869_college_football_season#First_football_game_e ver_played) between teams from Rutgers College (now Rutgers University (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutgers_University)) and the College of New Jersey (now Princeton University (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princeton_University)) took place on November 6, 1869 at College Field (now the site of the College Avenue Gymnasium (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_Avenue_Gymnasium) at Rutgers University) in New Brunswick, New Jersey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Brunswick,_New_Jersey). Rutgers won by a score of 6 "runs" to Princeton's 4.[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_football#cite_note-1)[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_football#cite_note-2)[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_football#cite_note-3) The 1869 game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1869_college_football_season#First_football_game_e ver_played) between Rutgers and Princeton is important in that it is the first documented game of any sport called "football" (which also encompasses the game of Association Football) between two American colleges. It is also notable in that it came a full-two years before a codified rugby game would be played in England. The Princeton/Rutgers game was undoubtedly different from what we today know as American football. Nonetheless it was the forerunner of what evolved into American football. Another similar game took place between Rutgers and Columbia University (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_University) in 1870 and the popularity of intercollegiate competition in football would spread throughout the country.
The American experience with the rugby-style game that led directly to present-day college football continued in 1874 at a meeting in Cambridge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambridge,_Massachusetts), Massachusetts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massachusetts) between Harvard University (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvard_University) and Montreal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal)'s McGill University (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McGill_University). The McGill team played a rugby union (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_union)-style game, while Harvard played under a set of rules that allowed greater handling of the ball than soccer. The teams agreed to play under compromise rules. The Harvard students took to the rugby rules and adopted them as their own.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_football

In Canada, the term football usually refers to Canadian football and American football (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_football) collectively, or either sport specifically, depending on the context. The two sports have shared origins and are closely related, but with significant differences (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Canadian_and_American_football). Rugby football (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_football) in Canada had its origins in the early 1860s,[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_football#cite_note-Football_Canada_timeline-1) and over time, the unique game known as Canadian football developed. Both the Canadian Football League (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Football_League) (CFL), the sport's top professional league, and Football Canada (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_Canada), the governing body for amateur play, trace their roots to 1884 and the founding of the Canadian Rugby Football Union. Currently active teams such as the Toronto Argonauts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Argonauts) and Hamilton Tiger-Cats (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilton_Tiger-Cats) have similar longevity.

Kyle
06-05-2010, 01:19 PM
Fair enough, but that really doesn't change my opinion about the rules themselves. I think the success of the leagues speak magnitudes about the mass appeal of their rules. I think te NFL/NCAA has really fine tuned themselves to be the most entertaining sports in America by far while I don't necessarily think the rules that make the CFL unique actually make it any more entertaining.

phaneuf6
06-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Fair enough, but that really doesn't change my opinion about the rules themselves. I think the success of the leagues speak magnitudes about the mass appeal of their rules. I think te NFL/NCAA has really fine tuned themselves to be the most entertaining sports in America by far while I don't necessarily think the rules that make the CFL unique actually make it any more entertaining.

There are more big plays but realistically, a Canadian football league with 8 teams and limited TV coverage, if any at all, in the States isn't going to be 'popular' by NFL standards. Canada only has about 36 million people living here anyways, everything here happens on a smaller scale compared to the US. So 'USA popular' is a lot different from 'Canada popular'. I think relatively speaking though, the leagues might be equal.

Zangetsu
06-05-2010, 03:28 PM
Do the players get paid in "real dollars" or "Canadian dollars?"

Dubz
06-05-2010, 03:49 PM
Do the players get paid in "real dollars" or "Canadian dollars?"

Real Canadian dollars:dunno:

Zangetsu
06-05-2010, 04:20 PM
I need to get better at using those smilies. Maybe one of these :D would've made my point more clear, but I thought the quotes would do the trick.

Skip to 2:00

YouTube- June 2nd, 2010 After 40 Minutes with Ron MacLean & Gary Bettman Blackhawks Vs. Flyers HNiC

Kyle
06-06-2010, 04:38 PM
That interview was ridiculous, Bettman is such a fucking tool.

habsfan1
06-09-2010, 06:33 PM
For the popularity of the CFL in Alberta, where I'm from, its:

NHL
CFL/NFL
MLB
MMA
NBA
everything else here

In Saskatchewan where I originally come from it's:

CFL
NHL
NFL
everything else

Their labour day September game sold out in 16 minutes in Saskatchewan and they will regularly have 10,000 fans at an opposition (Calgary or Edmonton's stadium).

two24four
06-10-2010, 05:07 PM
chgorman will love this, sounds like the 2012 Grey Cup will be hosted by Toronto at the Rogers Centre.

chgorman
06-11-2010, 12:29 PM
chgorman will love this, sounds like the 2012 Grey Cup will be hosted by Toronto at the Rogers Centre.

Meh, it's a terrible place to watch football, but at least it's nice and close to where I live (at least compared to other CFL cities) and has good seating capacity. I'd obviously prefer it be in Hamilton, but there's no chance in hell of that happening until we get our new stadium built. Unfortunately Ivor Wynne is falling apart and has nowhere close to the seating capacity required to host a GC game. The Ticats team president has talked in the media about having the Grey Cup in Hamilton as soon as 2013 though (dependent on the new digs being built by then).

Unrelated, but for those suggesting the CFL isn't popular... the Grey Cup - being held at Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton (seating capacity: 62,000) sold out in under a week, the fastest ever for a Grey Cup game, and on top of that, Commonwealth is the biggest stadium in the league as far as I know, so not only did it sell out the quickest ever, but it sold out the biggest stadium in the league the quickest ever. I guess it doesn't necessarily prove that the CFL is popular, but it does show that there is serious interest from many people.

two24four
06-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Grey Cup sells out every year, (for the most part anyways) alot of people who dont follow the CFL all season will tune in or even goto the Grey Cup every year, it's a party.

chgorman
06-11-2010, 01:25 PM
Grey Cup sells out every year, (for the most part anyways) alot of people who dont follow the CFL all season will tune in or even goto the Grey Cup every year, it's a party.

I realize that, my point was that it's never sold out this fast before, let alone in a stadium as big as Commonwealth. Considering the game is in Edmonton in late November, that's pretty impressive :lol:. People are gonna be freezing their nuts off :lol:

two24four
06-11-2010, 01:32 PM
That will be cold as f*ck that's for sure.

Kind of like when the SB is in New York in a few years in Feb, I still cant believe they gave it to New York after all the in door or nice weather places it's always at, will be awesome to watch though.

I hope it snow's for both, those games are the best.

b_illin
06-11-2010, 01:43 PM
Meh, it's a terrible place to watch football, but at least it's nice and close to where I live (at least compared to other CFL cities) and has good seating capacity. I'd obviously prefer it be in Hamilton, but there's no chance in hell of that happening until we get our new stadium built. Unfortunately Ivor Wynne is falling apart and has nowhere close to the seating capacity required to host a GC game. The Ticats team president has talked in the media about having the Grey Cup in Hamilton as soon as 2013 though (dependent on the new digs being built by then).

Unrelated, but for those suggesting the CFL isn't popular... the Grey Cup - being held at Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton (seating capacity: 62,000) sold out in under a week, the fastest ever for a Grey Cup game. I guess it doesn't necessarily prove that the CFL is popular, but it does show that there is serious interest from many people.

The Hammer is really dropping the ball on that shiny new stadium that would be built for the Pan-Am games...

I loosely follow the regular season (less so in recent years) but always host or go to a Grey Cup party...every year.

Motorcat
06-11-2010, 09:29 PM
OK, I'm digging the CFL chatter.

chgorman
06-12-2010, 12:13 PM
OK, I'm digging the CFL chatter.

You been checking out the Ticats website lately Motor? TicatsTV is posting lots of good stuff lately - got two of the players doing v-blogs (video blogs) of their training camp experiences, intro'ed the helmet cam which is kinda neat, daily updates from training camp, etc. And the new TicatsTV hostess is pretty easy on the eyes ;)

chgorman
06-12-2010, 12:21 PM
The Hammer is really dropping the ball on that shiny new stadium that would be built for the Pan-Am games...

It'll get resolved. There's WAY too much at stake for the both the city and the organization for the stadium deal to get screwed up.

secol
06-27-2010, 04:54 PM
who's excited for opening day this week??? :D

Dubz
06-27-2010, 05:13 PM

Is it this week?:lol:

secol
06-27-2010, 06:13 PM
well technically not i guess lol....for me weeks always start on sundays (better than having them start on mondays)

chgorman
06-28-2010, 10:59 AM

Not so much opening day for me, but moreso Friday. Ticats to pummel the Bombers in the 'Peg on the premier of Friday Night Football for the 2010 season.

Definitely watching the Season Preview show on TSN on Weds as well.

Ticats are lookin' good for 2010. 3 of 4 panelists on Sportsnet's season preview show are taking Hamilton to respresent the Eastern Division in the Grey Cup over the Als.

Dubz
06-28-2010, 06:17 PM
Not so much opening day for me, but moreso Friday. Ticats to pummel the Bombers in the 'Peg on the premier of Friday Night Football for the 2010 season.

Definitely watching the Season Preview show on TSN on Weds as well.

Ticats are lookin' good for 2010. 3 of 4 panelists on Sportsnet's season preview show are taking Hamilton to respresent the Eastern Division in the Grey Cup over the Als.

If the Als beat them all 3 times they wont be in any cup games:D Seriously i havent a clue....just heard something about this on TSN.

Motorcat
06-28-2010, 06:54 PM
Last year I was able to see some CFL games on directTV so............ I am hoping to be able to watch Friday's game.

chgorman
06-29-2010, 06:34 AM
Last year I was able to see some CFL games on directTV so............ I am hoping to be able to watch Friday's game.

If you've been cruising the Ticats fan forum on ticats.ca then you may have already seem this thread:

http://forums.ticats.ca/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56605&sid=0d8479f16c98390cf7e05cd0a875a5db

It's not very helpful at the moment, as most of the links posted in the thread are old or don't contain any helpful information (at least not yet), but I didn't check all the links, so there might be something helpful there... for instance the http://www.channelsurfing.net/ link looks like it might be an option if you don't mind watching online.

P.S. I'm lovin' the sig flag :yes:

chgorman
07-01-2010, 09:09 PM
Motor - not sure if you get NFL Network, but looks like they'll be showing some CFL gms. Unfortunately not tomorrow night's Ticats gm, but you'll be able to watch the Ticats home opener on July 10th if you get the NFL Network...

http://www.cfl.ca/article/cfl-to-air-on-nfl-network

secol
07-02-2010, 12:10 AM
nice win by stamps.....offensive line didn't look too bad

Bubbles & Conkey
07-02-2010, 09:23 AM
Didn't anyone watch Grey Cup Rematch? What an insane game! Riders win 54-51 in double OT.

It was the 3rd highest scoring CFL game ever

FlyGuy78
07-02-2010, 09:29 AM
Wait..........people actually watch this crap?

dw13
07-02-2010, 09:31 AM
Wait..........people actually watch this crap?

Says the Raider fan :lol:

FlyGuy78
07-02-2010, 09:34 AM
Says the Raider fan :lol:

Which is still better than watching CFL, so what does that say?! :D

phaneuf6
07-02-2010, 05:41 PM
Which is still better than watching CFL, so what does that say?! :D

All you seem to do is go into threads and shit on whatever they're discussing. Just don't bother going into the thread if you're not interested.

FlyGuy78
07-02-2010, 06:03 PM
All you seem to do is go into threads and shit on whatever they're discussing. Just don't bother going into the thread if you're not interested.

Hi I'm Flyguy and I like to stir shit up! I've been on this site much longer than you and if you are referring to me talking shit about soccer and now this, wow!! I made fun if two sports that suck ass!! Get a life dude!!

chgorman
07-02-2010, 10:30 PM

Just ignore him. He obviously doesn't have a clue and doesn't have anything better to do with his life/time than to stir up shit and then have the nerve to tell us to get a life :rolleyes:

He's probably never even watched a CFL game, otherwise he'd know that it's - without question - way more exciting than watching the Raiders.

... In fact, most CFL teams could probably beat the Raiders. :rolleyes:

chgorman
07-02-2010, 10:35 PM
Hi I'm Flyguy and I like to stir shit up! I've been on this site much longer than you and if you are referring to me talking shit about soccer and now this, wow!! I made fun if two sports that suck ass!! Get a life dude!!

You're such an idiot. They play the same sport in the CFL as they do in the NFL, so you just said football sucks ass. Get a clue.

Oh, and nobody gives a flying fuck how long you've been here. You're telling us to get a life? Look in the mirror and say that. That would be a much more appropriate course of action.

secol
07-02-2010, 11:52 PM
let's all chill?

habsfan1
07-03-2010, 09:09 AM
DId anyone here watch the Saskatchewan/Montreal game (it was also on the NFL network). Hell of a game, 54-51 in double overtime.

phaneuf6
07-10-2010, 07:04 AM
Exciting game between the Bombers and Argos last night. Snaps a long losing streak for Toronto.

Dubz
07-10-2010, 09:21 AM
Yeah i watched that one. Good Game. I might just go see a game this year:D

Motorcat
07-10-2010, 08:15 PM
T-Cats start 0-2 ....not what I was hoping for.

Hamilton sure does seem to have problems coming out of the gates almost every year it seems.

chgorman
07-12-2010, 09:46 AM
T-Cats start 0-2 ....not what I was hoping for.

Hamilton sure does seem to have problems coming out of the gates almost every year it seems.

It was a bit of a weird game. Definitely disappointing. Overall the team played well for the most part. Put up some decent numbers on offence aside from the running game. Defence was much improved over the previous game in WPG. Some terrible officiating against the Ticats, some VERY questionable calls against and at least 2 clear pass interference calls that would've been against CGY for big gains that never got called, but the bottom line is the Ticats had the opportunity to put it away a couple times late in the 4th and couldn't punch it in for the major, so between that and our new placekicker (the most accurate kicker in CFL history) missing 2 of 5 attempts against his former team (and having one blacked), that's the difference, they just couldn't get it done.

I'm biased, but I wasn't impressed with CGY at all. They were very beatable on Sat. The HAM D, O and special teams outplayed CGY's for most of the gm IMO, the difference being they (CGY) scored when they had to and had the solid opportunities, while HAM didn't, and that's all that really matters despite some very questionable officiating that always seemed to go against HAM and never against CGY.

Next gm on Fri with WPG in town is pretty much a must win for the Ticats. With 2 VERY tough gms in MTL and then SASK to follow the gm on Fri, there's a very real possibility HAM could go 0-5 to start the season if they don't win Fri. Hopefully they tighten it up a bit and do a better job of converting on some scoring opportunities than they did on Sat.

Were you able to watch the game Motor?

Motorcat
07-12-2010, 01:39 PM
^ Not sure if it was even available ............... we had some friends in town this past weekend and that pretty much soaked up the entire weekend except for late Sunday

Bubbles & Conkey
07-14-2010, 09:19 AM
I found this on Canoe.ca. It's a bit long but a great discription of our league. Enjoy:)

We give you the Top 10 Things We Like About the CFL.

10. The Big Field
Rookies from the States can't believe it when they first see it: 110 yards by 65, with another 40 yards in end-zone space! All that real estate makes for some wide open football, and is probably the single most important factor in the CFL's historical scoring advantage over its American cousin. Not even the extra man can neutralize that much green space, which promotes the notion of agility over size. By comparison, the NFL game often looks crowded onto a postage stamp.

9. The 20-Second Clock
You know how the three-down game seems to move faster, with much less down time than your typical NFL game? Give credit to the 20 seconds allowed between plays, making for a sometimes harried attempt to get the snap off in time. Sure, it leads to a few more delay-of-game penalties, and occasionally there's no time to show a TV replay. But the 20-second clock, combined with the three downs, also prevents teams with a late lead from killing huge amounts of time and negating the last-minute comeback.

8. Salaries
Fans want to be able to relate to the athlete they're cheering for, and when he's making a gazillion bucks a week, they simply can't. With a salary cap of around $4.2 million per team, the average CFL paycheque is between 70 and 80 grand a season, still not bad for six months' work, but well within the parameters the average Joe can wrap his head around. The modest pay is a direct factor in No. 7 on our list, too.

7. Manageable Egos
New Winnipeg head coach Paul LaPolice recently said one of the things he likes most about the CFL is that he can walk into a meeting room and count on spending some time with likable guys. When you're not paying out millions of dollars a year, your chances of developing egomaniacs is dramatically decreased. Give or take the odd Charles Roberts, the CFL is made up of relatively humble stock who don't think their locker is the centre of the universe.

6. Accessibility
This one's probably related to the money and ego issues, but it's also nurtured and promoted by the league, and here's hoping it stays that way. Where else can fans walk onto the field after a practice to chat with and get autographs from their heroes? Heck, these guys will stop and say hello on their way to their locker-room at half-time or the end of a game. There's no once-a-week media access to the quarterback, and rarely do players refuse to do interviews.

5. The Fans
Sure, the NFL sells out most of its stadiums most of the time, and you can still find empty seats at most CFL games. But there's a grassroots feel at CFL stadiums that you don't always see in the corporate world down south. It's still a family game, but with just enough crazies to keep it interesting. Led by the melon-heads and body-painters of Saskatchewan, CFL fans have a attachment to their team and the game that's been passed down through generations.

4. The Stadiums
The clock may be ticking on old Ivor Wynne in Hamilton, the decaying double-decker job in Winnipeg, even on the building at Taylor Field in Regina. But there's a quaintness about those facilities, and all the outdoor fields in the loop, that have provided the backdrop for generations of memories, from fingertip catches in the snow to touchdown grabs at the back of an end zone lined with fans. Here's hoping the new stadiums retain the heart and soul of the old ones.

3. Rotating Grey Cup Host
It's one of the best things the CFL has ever done, giving every city the chance to host the championship game on a regular basis. When Winnipeg was awarded the 1991 game, it ended an era where the Grey Cup was held mostly in Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver, kicking off the grassroots support of the big game that makes it so successful today. It's also gone a long way to making smaller-market clubs financially stable, as hosting will typically inject $3 million or more into a franchise's coffers.

2. It's Canadian, eh?
No other pro sports league is based entirely in Canada. And no other sports league mandates the playing of Canadians. Those who argue the Canadian ratio downgrades the game are missing the point entirely. For what would this league have been without Russ Jackson and Tony Gabriel, Chris Walby and Roger Aldag, Lui Passaglia, Dave Fennell or Ray Elgaard, or any of the hundreds of players who cherish the chance to play pro football in their own communities? Without them, our attachment to the game would begin to fray. Instead, it's bound by ropes strengthened through the generations.

1. Grey Cup Week If you haven't experienced it, what are you waiting for? From the five days of parties to the fanfests to the roaring rush of the Snowbirds right before kickoff, soaking in Grey Cup week might just be the best way to celebrate being a hoser. For the ultimate, take in a Grey Cup on the prairies. Then again, fans from Saskatchewan will bring their passion to the party, regardless of where it is. You don't even need the home team in the game for it to be a flat-out good time. Oh, and the game's usually a dandy.:beer:

chgorman
07-14-2010, 10:16 AM
I found this on Canoe.ca. It's a bit long but a great discription of our league. Enjoy:)

We give you the Top 10 Things We Like About the CFL.

Great post B&C. Thanks to you and the author. :beer:

Motorcat
07-14-2010, 11:05 AM
quote -

2. It's Canadian, eh?

No other pro sports league is based entirely in Canada. And no other sports league mandates the playing of Canadians.

----------------

Can someone go into detail about the mandated playing of Canadians ?

---- The CFL ought to advertise the daylights out of those top 10 reasons. I can't think of anything I've seen that would promote the league better than that.

chgorman
07-14-2010, 12:23 PM
quote -

2. It's Canadian, eh?

No other pro sports league is based entirely in Canada. And no other sports league mandates the playing of Canadians.

----------------

Can someone go into detail about the mandated playing of Canadians ?

---- The CFL ought to advertise the daylights out of those top 10 reasons. I can't think of anything I've seen that would promote the league better than that.

The wording (and the rule itself) is a little confusing, but hopefully this helps:

http://www.cfl.ca/page/game_rule_ratio

Basically:

1) there has to be at least 20 'non-imports' (i.e. Canadians, for the most part, see the definition of 'non-import in the link) on the 42 man roster of every team in the league.

2) of the 24 'starters' on any given team, at least 7 have to be 'non-imports', and although it doesn't say so in the link, I believe that if a non-import leaves the field, he has to be replaced by a non-import, although the rule is kinda fuzzy (there's more to it than is explained in the link above) and even I don't understand it fully TBH, but that's the basic gist.

Motorcat
07-14-2010, 12:39 PM
^ If that was done in the states by any league they would find themselves in court on a regular basis.

Seems to me - it should be the best 42 men on the roster that fit under the cap - regardless of nationality.

But hey, I am not going to debate the merits/non-merits of it

phaneuf6
07-15-2010, 09:31 AM
Big win for the Argos in their home opener last night. Pretty exciting back and forth game too.

two24four
07-15-2010, 09:45 AM
chgorman just so you know, I watched most of the Argos game last night, (no other sports on last night, lol) not bad, they look pretty good this season from what I saw last night, 4 INT's on defence, Lemon looks ok, that Owens kid is good, man he can fly, all I kept thinking about last night when I saw him play was how much he looks like Wes Welker out there.

I might just try and catch another game or two soon.

chgorman
07-15-2010, 10:32 AM
chgorman just so you know, I watched most of the Argos game last night, (no other sports on last night, lol) not bad, they look pretty good this season from what I saw last night, 4 INT's on defence, Lemon looks ok, that Owens kid is good, man he can fly, all I kept thinking about last night when I saw him play was how much he looks like Wes Welker out there.

I might just try and catch another game or two soon.

Nice! Good to hear! If you feel like coming to the Hammer for a Ticats gm, lemme know, I'll hook you up. Dubz knows what I'm talkin' about, haha. The Labour Day Classic should be an epic clash this year between TOR and HAM.

Yeah, I wasn't able to watch the game last night, had other things on the go, but from what I hear, the Argos look legit! Now, they did get CGY on only 4 days rest after the Ticats beat up on 'em (but lost) on Sat, so the Argos had an extra day of rest at home while CGY has been on the road for almost a wk, but the bottom line is the Argos got it done, got the win, and that's all that matters. I sure wish the Ticats coulda done the same on Sat.

Glad to hear you took in the game though and gave the CFL a little more of a chance. It's definitely not the CFL from 10 yrs ago. Much more exciting these days, the league is much better run, and the skill level is way up across the league. Still not NFL calibre, but it's solid, exciting football.

chgorman
07-16-2010, 08:44 AM
Pretty solid article here on the Ticats' Marcus Thigpen, currently tearing up the CFL, leading the league in combined yards by a wide margin, set to break a pretty impressive modern day record if he gets a rushing touchdown before the end of this season (which is very likely given that he's a RB by trade). Very likely that he does it tonight vs. WPG. This kid is electric. Very fun to watch.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/football/many-happy-returns/article1641747/

Some highlights:

Kickoff return - YouTube- Ti-Cats/Bombers July 2/2010 - Marcus Thigpen 93 Yard Opening Kickoff Return Toudhdown

Missed field goal return - YouTube- Marcus Thigpen Missed Field Goal Return- July 2 vs. Winnipeg

Punt return - YouTube- Marcus Thigpen 93-yard punt return touchdown

Also has a 33yd reception td, all 4 plays happened in the Ticats' first 2 gms of the yr so far.

Dubz
07-16-2010, 08:52 AM
Gorms is the man when it comes to Ticats Tix.....the "head family" will be at the Labour Day Classic sporting our Argos Gear in full fashion. Thanks again brutha

Motorcat
07-17-2010, 10:12 AM
Did not see the game but from what I am reading it appears the T-Cats found their game last night

chgorman
07-17-2010, 11:54 AM
Did not see the game but from what I am reading it appears the T-Cats found their game last night

Sure did, and just in time too. With two VERY tough road games in MTL and then SASK next up on the sched, last night pretty was much a must win, or else the potential is there for an 0-5 start, so it was a big win, team looked very good. I'm headin' up to MTL for the game on Thurs, should be a pretty good battle, and MTL is always a great time in general. Their home opener to boot.

Motor, I was busy for most of the game, so only saw the 4th quarter in full, but was able to rewatch the entire game last night when I got home via TSN Video-On-Demand. If you feel like watching the game at some point, give this a shot:

http://watch.tsn.ca/cfl-games-on-demand/week-3-blue-bombers-vs-tiger-cats/#clip326092

Motorcat
07-17-2010, 04:11 PM
Edmonton vs Calgary on now - NFL network ....via TSN feed

10-10 .................. has more of a college feel to it than pro

Motorcat
07-17-2010, 04:17 PM
^ check that .................... Saskatchewan instead of Calgary.

They must be wearing some throw backs or something.

Motorcat
07-17-2010, 04:22 PM
OK - uni's from the 1912 season.

Curious - will Hamilton do this (if not already) and any idea from what year ?

chgorman
07-19-2010, 09:24 AM
OK - uni's from the 1912 season.

Curious - will Hamilton do this (if not already) and any idea from what year ?

Next home gm (Aug 7th) Ticats will be wearing retro jerseys from the 70's. Not sure about any other retro uni dates. Will probably wear them once or twice on the road this season, but not sure which date(s).

Bubbles & Conkey
07-19-2010, 03:46 PM
Ugly win for the Riders on Saturday. In years past, the Riders would have found away to lose that type of game. It's good to see their fortures have turned around. Next up is Calgary. Hope to keep the unbeaten streak going.

I have heard the NFL Network is airing 14 CFL games this summer. Great exposure for our league.

chgorman
08-04-2010, 09:05 AM
Sweet TD celebration by Ticats' Dave Stala after scoring on Saturday in Regina against the Roughriders:

YouTube- Kevin Glenn 11 yard touchdown pass to Dave Stala soccer celebration - July 31, 2010

Gotta love the CFL. Something like this surely would've earned a penalty/fine in the No Fun League, haha.

Bubbles & Conkey
08-04-2010, 12:42 PM
Sweet TD celebration by Ticats' Dave Stala after scoring on Saturday in Regina against the Roughriders:

Gotta love the CFL. Something like this surely would've earned a penalty/fine in the No Fun League, haha.

I think in the NFL they believe those celebrations are viewed as taunting or self promotion. Stala's celebration was neither IMO. (& I'm a Rider fan)

:beer:

Motorcat
08-14-2010, 06:31 PM
Its hard being a CFL fan in the States - so little of anything about the league is available unless your willing to go look via the net but I'm still maintaining a casual interest for a 4th year running.

Question about the schedule ?

I notice an 18 game season.

In Hamilton's case this year ...........

2 games against teams outside of the division

3 games against teams within the division with the exception of Winnipeg who Hamilton plays 4 times.

Without looking at previous year's schedules I'm assuming the 3 games against teams in the division rotates ---- 2 at home this year - then you play 2 away next year ?

In the case of 4 games with Winnipeg this year .....Does the 4th game float in the division/conference each year or is it a set "Rival" game ?

And finally ....what are the big rivals in the CFL and does Hamilton have an arch rival ?

Stats and game summaries are easy to come by .......... its info like the above thats easier to ask here than to search for.

phaneuf6
08-14-2010, 06:52 PM
While I don't have the knowledge about the schedule, I think I can safely say the arch rival of the Ti-Cats is the Argos. With the two cities being so close, it's always a great atmosphere for Ti-Cats/Argo games, and they always play on the labour day weekend (first weekend of September) against each other in Hamilton. It's one of the most anticipated games of the season every year.

Dubz
08-14-2010, 07:10 PM
While I don't have the knowledge about the schedule, I think I can safely say the arch rival of the Ti-Cats is the Argos. With the two cities being so close, it's always a great atmosphere for Ti-Cats/Argo games, and they always play on the labour day weekend (first weekend of September) against each other in Hamilton. It's one of the most anticipated games of the season every year.

Im bringing a posse up there to this game thanks to our man Gorms. I had some family down from Alberta and they went to a Ti Cats game not so long ago. The way they described the arena and the fans was pretty grim. They did have opponents jerseys on and sat in the bleachers tho. There were 2 of them so they got razzed really bad and were reluctant to retaliate.

Its going to be good times....especially since it may turn out to be a meaningful game.

two24four
08-15-2010, 01:12 PM
Dont look now, but the Argos are tied for 1st in the East with a big win over Montreal last night.

I see they have a big home and home with Hamilton coming up now.

b_illin
08-17-2010, 12:25 PM
Dont look now, but the Argos are tied for 1st in the East with a big win over Montreal last night.

I see they have a big home and home with Hamilton coming up now.

I watched some of that game....ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGOOOOOOOOOS! (suck on dem nuts MTL!)

Motorcat
09-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Hamilton seems to have figured it out ........... they are back in the playoff mix.

secol
09-06-2010, 10:24 PM
stamps baby haha....

chgorman
09-07-2010, 11:08 AM
Hamilton seems to have figured it out ........... they are back in the playoff mix.

A win on Sat vs. MTL puts the Ticats in a tie for 1st in the East Div with MTL.

4 gm winning streak.

2 wins in a row vs. the ArgoNOTS to take the season series.

Relatively easy sched to finish the season.

Barring a complete collapse (not likely), playoffs are a certainty, Grey Cup appearance isn't at all out of the question.

Dubz
09-07-2010, 02:35 PM
Hamilton didnt win that game...Toronto lost it!!!

Sorry i missed ya Gorms. Good times, good seats although the vip wasnt anything special. I guess the lines were a little shorter but thats about it. Had to hawk a ticket cuz one guy couldnt make it...got $20 for it lol

The fans were quite tame and somewhat entertaining. Not many were unruly and they didnt mind us screaming out our Argo chants and shit. Id go again but would have to stay downtown...our hotel was $30 away in the cab. The nightlife was pretty rockin' AS WELL...THE PEOPLE WATCHING WAS FUN. eXCEPT FOR THE GUY THAT SMOKED THE CIG IN HIS NOSE...lol Caps locked

chgorman
09-08-2010, 09:30 AM
Hamilton didnt win that game...Toronto lost it!!!

Sorry i missed ya Gorms. Good times, good seats although the vip wasnt anything special. I guess the lines were a little shorter but thats about it. Had to hawk a ticket cuz one guy couldnt make it...got $20 for it lol

The fans were quite tame and somewhat entertaining. Not many were unruly and they didnt mind us screaming out our Argo chants and shit. Id go again but would have to stay downtown...our hotel was $30 away in the cab. The nightlife was pretty rockin' AS WELL...THE PEOPLE WATCHING WAS FUN. eXCEPT FOR THE GUY THAT SMOKED THE CIG IN HIS NOSE...lol Caps locked

A win is a win! Toronto (Lemon specifically) definitely made some mistakes, but the Ticats still made some plays to put some points on the board and made sonme big defensive plays to keep Toronto off it, so it's not like the Argos handed the game to them. Kevin Glen's stat line for the game is pretty impressive. that doesn't happen by accident.

Yeah, I'm sorry I missed you too. I tried to drop by to say hi but I was super busy with gameday responsibilities. Managed to make it to your seats once right after halftime but you guys weren't there. Probably stuck in line grabbing some beers/food, haha. and yeah, the VIP area isn't anything special, but at least you can sit down and chill, which you can't really do anywhere on the concourse.

Where did you end up staying? What 'nightlife' are you referring to (Hamilton? Burlington? Stoney Creek?)? Where were you hangin' out at night?

Dubz
09-08-2010, 05:25 PM
Glen was impresive. They handed out cards of him at the gate. Gee thanx...lol Yeah we were drinking/getting beer when you stopped by our seats. We went downtown hamilton. Ate at the lawyer and checked out the bars on Hess...prettty crazy ass people over there. Kick ass skirts and fall down drunks. Staying out of the core made it difficult to spend too much time there tho

chgorman
09-08-2010, 05:47 PM
Nice, glad you made it to Hess. Good times there. ;)

secol
09-20-2010, 07:38 PM
sounds like the stamps are close to signing lumsden.....i love this since you can never have too much depth and you can't have too many talented canadians. being a second or third stringer will help stave off the injuries hopefully

canuckthug
10-11-2010, 06:54 PM
What a crazy game. The Bombers are not done yet!! WOW..
Lets go BLUE!!

secol
10-23-2010, 10:50 AM
wow stamps should've won last night......damn franklin dropping a wide open pass